[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 216
Thread images: 36

File: kitchenknives.jpg (261KB, 1520x683px) Image search: [Google]
kitchenknives.jpg
261KB, 1520x683px
Lets see your kitchen cutlery that you're using.

>pic related
>>
>>8451075
Miyabis. Also your chef knife is dirty.
>>
>>8451105

I like Miyabis. I was going to get one as my first and second knife, but picked two of these guys up after I tested both.

It's not dirty, it's just some cutting board oil on it to keep it from rusting.
>>
File: 20161216_171830.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20161216_171830.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
Rate my patina.
>>
>>8451153

what am i looking at here?
>>
>>8451274
what he thinks is good patina

its 4/10
>>
>>8451274
A little bit of rust and a fairly clean edge

>>8451075
Nice Kiri, I have a Yuki and it's iight
>>
Moving out on my own for the first time soon and I'm a bit of a poorfag. What's a decent knife to buy until I can afford a better one down the line?
>>
>>8452281

Any of the basic foodservice (aka "line cook") knives.

The Forscher/Victorinox is the most commonly recommended but it's raised in price a good deal over the last few years. You can get the same thing from Dexter-Russel, Bakers and Chefs, or any of the other common foodservice brands.
>>
File: IMG_20161221_154829.jpg (2MB, 2432x3286px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161221_154829.jpg
2MB, 2432x3286px
>>8451153
Rate my patina
>>
>>8452607

patina is fine but get better glasses.
>>
File: tojiro-dp-gyuto-180mm-117.png (307KB, 407x600px) Image search: [Google]
tojiro-dp-gyuto-180mm-117.png
307KB, 407x600px
Stock photo, but still, that's what I have and I love it
One of the very few times advice from this board was useful
>I love you guys ;__;
>>
>>8452650
Finally a handle that doesnt look uncomortable
>>
File: 1391559127276.png (23KB, 726x448px) Image search: [Google]
1391559127276.png
23KB, 726x448px
>>
>>8452607
Dude you post your one knife in every fucking thread, no one cares anymore
>>
>>8452802
Honestly I love my shun santoku.
>>
File: shun-premier-7-inch-knife-1.jpg (55KB, 1430x542px) Image search: [Google]
shun-premier-7-inch-knife-1.jpg
55KB, 1430x542px
>>8453700
Stock image because I don't know how to resize pics on mobile
>>
Rant incoming: I flew up to NJ to visit my grandmother over Christmas break - she's one of these old rich folks whose husband was a New York executive and she lives in this giant house with paintings and rugs and chandeliers. I was helping make Christmas dinner and trying to find a knife.

"Here anon, your uncle got me these last year, they're amazing."

They were some brightly colored metal knives, so I assumed they were just a generic set from Costco or something, and started chopping. They were HORRIBLE.

Seriously... I think they must have never been sharpened. Either that or she had been cutting on steel for a year. They ripped the food rather than cutting it. I was soooo happy to get home and be able to slice things again.

Be glad you have sharp knives, my friends.
>>
>>8451075
I sold Cutco in high school and I still have all free the knives I got. They may be overpriced but damn if they don't last.
>>
>>8452802
The Shuns that I have seen other people own are all chipped, though.
>>
File: Img614.jpg (39KB, 800x224px) Image search: [Google]
Img614.jpg
39KB, 800x224px
Can anyone compare the Tojiro DP to the Fujiwara FKM gyuto? Prices seem pretty comparable here. What do I gain going up to the roughly 2x more expensive Masamoto VG?

My only experience with real Japanese knives is a Tojiro DP petty knife that cuts pretty well, but the handle is extremely small and the fit/finish is only OK.

Leaning toward something other than/maybe a step up from the Tojiro DP... I could afford a Masamoto VG, but am not sure if I want/need to spend that much on a chef's knife.
>>
File: stockphotograph.jpg (45KB, 1000x640px) Image search: [Google]
stockphotograph.jpg
45KB, 1000x640px
miyabi birchwood
>>
>>8453754
tfw nobody in my family knows how to sharpen their knives

I had to bust out my pocket knife at one point to cut a beef tenderloin over Christmas.
>>
>>8451274
I literally could not figure out an angle or lighting to really show. I mostly post this as a joke.
>>
>>8452711
It's a fairly standard handle, right?

I wanted one of those Japanese handled for a while but I figured I should first get a good knife that I know I'd like, and experiment further down the road

They do look cool tho
>>
File: e96d97161dc583cd55c0.png (4MB, 1791x865px) Image search: [Google]
e96d97161dc583cd55c0.png
4MB, 1791x865px
Current stock.
>>
File: IMG_0076.jpg (3MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0076.jpg
3MB, 3648x2736px
The best pieces of my current collection, European and Japanese "workhorse" knives only. I'm not very interested in the "fancy" stuff. Two F. Dick 1778, two Tojiro DP, two Hattori FH, five Wüsthof Classic, a Herder 1922, three F. Dick premier Plus, a Karl Güde special edition, a powder steel Miyabi MC, a Fujiwara FKM, a CarboNext, a Hiromoto AS. Among them are six knives that have been thinned by Jürgen Schanz, one of the best custom knifemakers in Germany. The gain in performance is incredible.
>>
>>8455605
I have that same mayabi. What is 5th from the left?
>>
>>8456068
Only to name a few, I have over 60 knives, most of them large chef's knives between 200mm and 270mm.
>>
>>8456074
Masakage Koishi
>>
>>8456068
Why six watches though?
>>
>>8451153

Grinding wheel marks/10.
>>
>>8456078
Worth it? Sixth from the right honestly looks like your go-to knife...I could be wrong.
>>
>>8456097
Sixth from the right is a Yoshiaki Fujiwara 240mm workhorse. I use it a lot yes.

I would not recommend the Koishi as some of them tend to have grind issues. Instead I would recommend an Itinomonn gyuto or a Toshihirosaku.
>>
File: 1313714621002.png (450KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1313714621002.png
450KB, 1000x1000px
>>8456105
Word. thanks.
>>
>>8456080
I used to collect watches, too ... now and then I get bitten by some bug and start collecting stuff. Thankfully it usually blows over before it gets too expensive. In the dresser you can see some of the ink pots I got when I was into collecting fountainpens ...
>>
>>8453754
it never ceases to amaze me how so many people can be so clueless about a tool they use several times a day for their whole life. Cars, paintings sports, fashion, guns, travel - so many people take an interest in that but knives ...? That's super rare.
>>
>>8453754
Whenever I visit my grandmother I sharpen all of her knives with a nice grit stone
>>
>>8456169
I get your point, but I know fuck all about cars and I drive one every day. I know how to turn it on, I know the petal on the right makes me go faster and the one on the left slows me down. I can also change oil.

Ignorance is bliss until it fucks your wallet.
>>
>>8456201

Not the guy you're replying to, but I think it's a matter of degree.

Nobody expects the average car owner to be a master mechanic, just as nobody expects a cook to be an experienced blacksmith.

But I would expect a car owner to be able to change their oil, change a tire, replace a burned-out headlight, and check/refill fluids.

and likewise I would expect a cook to know how to maintain their knife. They don't need to be a sharpening gearfag, just be able to maintain it with a sharp edge.
>>
hey can you guys recommend some knives?

i'm just an average dude who cooks for himself and his family and i want to upgrade my shit knives.

i don't need chef-quality knives, but i'm willing to spend some money

i know this is vague, but any advice would be appreciated

inb4 kys
>>
>>8456242
The guy he was replying to: Precisely. It's like sharpening a knife is some dark, lost magic or something.
>>
>>8456289
Can't really go wrong with a Wüsthof Classic. 9'' would be my recommendation for a guy.The IKEA 365+ all-steel and the Wüsthof SilverPoint series are surprisingly nice, too. Much better value than the Victorinox Fibrox, which are good knives too, but way overpriced since they have become "popular".
>>
>>8456289
a good chef knife is the only knife you should really spend money on. If a lot of crusty bread is eaten in your household a good bread saw makes sense, too. For the rest (parer, petty, slicer) cheap stuff will do.

Stay away from knife sets. A lot of money is wasted there on expensive, matching handles that are still uncomfortable, because your hands don't shrink just because you are using a 3'' parer blade instead of an 8'' chef's knife.
>>
>>8456289
Korin house brands knives are good and look good. Get the $80 dollar ones unless your willing to spend more
>>
>>8456314
>>8456327
>>8456328
thanks for all the replies!

> unless your willing to spend more
i might bb. i was actually thinking around $100 - $150 for a nice chef's knife. i'll probably be the only one who uses it
>>
>>8456368
if you want something more exotic you could look here:
http://japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKI.html#KAGAYAKIBASIC

All the knives in the JCK Original selection (their house brands) are very good value for your money though. JCK is a well known shop with an excellent reputation among kitchen knife aficionados.
>>
how do you guys feel about Shun knives?
are they nice?
and is there any advantage/disadvantage to a jap-style knife over a 'regular' chef's knife
>>
>>8456390

I have never bought their house brand so I can't speak to their quality but I do own three Sugimoto cleavers that I bought from JCK. I can confirm they are top-notch with customer service. One of them was a special order that they didn't even list in their catalog but they still were able to get me one very quickly and for a great price.
>>
The answer the second part of this question might be self-evident, given the simple fact that I'm asking it, but: What is the purpose of a "laser" knife and do I need one?

I've been researching Japanese chef's knives the past few weeks and this term keeps coming up for a thin knife. Do these knives have a legitimate place in a home cook's kitchen, or is it purely a novelty only used occasionally by professional chef's and knife aficionados wanting to change things up once in a while? They seem like they'd be more delicate and prone to chipping.
>>
>>8456404
They are not bad, but they are basically European knives (profile with lots of belly for rock chopping) but with Japanese steel (hard, thin, fragile) which is a combination that doesn't go together so well. Shuns had a reputation for being prone to edge chipping for many years, mostly due to that.
>>
>>8456404
>how do you guys feel about Shun knives?
Yeah, they're great knives.

>and is there any advantage/disadvantage to a jap-style knife over a 'regular' chef's knife

I'm assuming you mean a Japanese-style Chef's knife? What they would call a Gyuto? Generally speaking, they are thinner, harder, and lighter than a Western style. They will hold their edge longer. They cut with less effort. They're faster to chop with. But they are also less forgiving of fuckups and they are also not good for chopping hard foods, bones, etc.

The Japanese make all kinds of speciality kitchen knives. One you might consider is the deba. It's a thick, heavy knife. Sort of halfway between a chef's knife and a cleaver. It can handle a lot more abuse than a Gyuto or a Western-style chef's knife.
>>
>>8456413
A laser is great if you often have to cut hard, thick stuff that causes a noticeable wedging effect with a normally thick knife. If you're cutting carrots, potatoes, bulb celery etc a laser knife can make a huge difference. They won't chip if you don't abuse them (chopping through chicken bones etc) For cutting slices of ham or raw meat, or tomatos or similar stuff a normal knife works just as well.
>>
>>8456404
I prefer Miyabis if I'm going japanese. Both pass a regular tomato test, but Shuns are more expensive in general.

But I'd rather spend less money for equal quality..and it's about the same imo. Shuns are generally prettier though, so if you're looking for a knife to put on display; well there you go.
>>
>>8456422
>>8456425
>>8456452

again, thanks!

being just an average guy, i think a western-style chef's knife is probably a better choice for me for now.
>>
>>8456413
>r is it purely a novelty only used occasionally by professional chef's and knife aficionados wanting to change things up once in a while?

Pretty much. As far as I can tell the idea started when Westerners started using Japanese knives and were surprised at how much less cutting effort they took due to the fact that they are generally thinner and sharpened to a more acute angle. People started saying "wow, this Jap knife cuts like a laser". So of course the makers noticed this and started making knives that really focused on that aspect.

>>They seem like they'd be more delicate and prone to chipping.

They are. But like >>8456445 said, if you use them for what they're intended for then no, you won't chip or break one. They're not a general purpose knife, they're a specialty thing.

Personally I don't see the point in buying one unless you're into knives and you just like the idea. It's certainly not something that would be a practical suggestion for the typical cook.
>>
>>8456461
>It's certainly not something that would be a practical suggestion for the typical cook.
I disagree there. They can handle 99% of the job you would use a typical kitchen knife for, and for that remaining 1% you probably shouldn't really be using a knife for anyway, use a cleaver instead. Once you have felt the difference between a laser and a "normal" knife it is pretty hard to go back and be satisfied with less.
>>
>>8456482
What about the difference between a laser and a normal Japanese knife?
>>
File: cck 1303.jpg (252KB, 1800x900px) Image search: [Google]
cck 1303.jpg
252KB, 1800x900px
>>8456482

I guess it depends on what you're doing. In my cooking I am very often chopping the heads off fish, breaking down whole chickens, and cutting apart pork ribs. That's something that's no problem for a western-style chef's knife, standard gyuto, or a deba but I certainly wouldn't want to be doing with a laser.

I do own larger cleavers but I don't bother to bring them out for poultry or smallish fish.

For vegetables I prefer to use a very thin-bladed chinese knife. Similar idea to a laser, but with the rectangular shape rather than the gyuto sort of shape. Pic kinda related (not the exact brand I have, but gets the idea across). I agree, once you've used a really thin knife like this then you do indeed appreciate it. But I wouldn't use it for what I consider "general purpose" kitchen stuff.
>>
>>8456499
>and a normal Japanese knife?

You need to clarify what you mean by this. What do you mean by "normal japanese knife" A gyuto? (The japanese version of a chef's knife?) A santoku? A deba? Yangi? (technically that's a sushi knife, but a lot of Japanese chefs use them for general purpose work)

But in general, what the others have said is pretty much the same. Laser means extra thin. Delicate. Easy to chip. Cuts with very little effort.
>>
>>8456482
Unless you're deboning something, is which case you'd want a flexible knife to be able to pop a ball-joint for example, or push a knife down so you can slide under silver skin.

Any regular knife user will tell you that both Western and Eastern knives have their purpose, but neither are good at everything.
>>
>>8456525
>Any regular knife user will tell you that both Western and Eastern knives have their purpose, but neither are good at everything.

This.

One thing that I found really interesting is that both cultures have developed a system with a lighter knife for general purpose work and then a heavier knife for the hard stuff.

If you watch Japanese pro chefs at work they'll usually have a Yanagi and a Deba. The French have the classic chef's knife, and then the "Chef du chef", which is a similar profile but much thicker/heavier. They're often called a "lobster splitter" as well.

Kind of interesting how two totally different cultures with radically different cuisine adapted a rather similar pairing of tools for their work.
>>
>>8456499
There is no real clear-cut distinction between those knives. It's like asking about the difference between a normal car and a sports car. Is a Bentley GT more of a sports car than a Mazda Miata? Is Tesla Model S more a sports car than a VW Golf VR6?
>>
>>8456555
>>8456524

I was going on an analogy with this: >>8456482
>Once you have felt the difference between a laser and a "normal" knife it is pretty hard to go back and be satisfied with less.

Assuming "normal" here means Western/German knife, let's say that most people become acquainted with Japanese knives through Shun, Miyabi or other knives you can buy from Sur La Table or Williams Sonoma, assuming most people will buy a gyuto as their first Japanese knife.

The difference between a German chef's knife and a Shun/Miyabi gyuto is usually noticeable, with people noticing greater ease of cutting. Now if a Shun/Miyabi knife owner stepped up to a "laser," would the difference still be that dramatic?
>>
>>8456580
>Now if a Shun/Miyabi knife owner stepped up to a "laser," would the difference still be that dramatic?

From my experience, no, it would not be that dramatic but it would be noticeable.

Practically speaking, the "standard " Shun/Miyabi/etc can do most standard kitchen tasks, including small bones in fish or poultry.

The laser, however, would probably chip if you tried to do that.
>>
>>8456068
hey will you post a pic of the watches?
either here or on >>>/g/58430645 please??
>>
Do I need an end grain cutting board if I want to cut with Japanese knives, and what's a good inexpensive one? I see some on ebay in the $60 range, but not sure of the quality.
>>
>>8456897

End grain is regarded as being more durable, but it's certainly not required for any kind of knife.

I use Japanese (and western) knives. I've been using some bamboo cutting boards I bought at my local supermarket. I have no idea about the brand. I've had them for several years now and I've had no trouble with them at all. The only name-brand that I have used and know well is Boo's Block, but I think those are fairly expensive. I'm not sure, I've never bought one, I've only used them.
>>
>>8456919
Uh.... that's a little different from what I've read, which is as follows:

-Japanese knives use a harder steel with a steeper bevel, which makes them more prone to chipping

-Plastic cutting boards are not a good idea to use with Japanese knives due to being a generally hard material

-End grain cutting boards are the softest practical cutting boards, since the knife will always wedge between the grains, stopping gradually, and doesn't stop abruptly, as on the side grain or on a harder material

-Bamboo is different from real wood in that it absorbs a large quantity of glue, making it harder than other wood cutting boards, and therefore harder on your knives
>>
>>8456961
Lotta confusion there, anon.

>>-Japanese knives use a harder steel with a steeper bevel, which makes them more prone to chipping
Yes.

>>Plastic cutting boards are not a good idea to use with Japanese knives due to being a generally hard material

That's silly. Is someone trying to say that plastic is hard enough to dull steel? No way

>>End grain cutting boards are the softest practical cutting boards

True, but a very minor detail. That's like shaving yourself in order to "lose weight". Even side grain is much much much softer than a steel knife.

>>Bamboo is different from real wood in that it absorbs a large quantity of glue

I haven't noticed any glue on my bamboo boards. Nor should there be, the glue is on the inside, not on the outside surface. Furthermore, glue is softer than steel anyway.

You're worrying waaaaaay too much about this. Just pick one and go.
>>
>>8457061
You're also forgetting that bamboo is, in fact, a real wood. No reason to call it "not real" like this moran >>8456961
>>
>>8457080

Bamboo is a grass.
>>
>>8457098
Debatable.
>>
>>8457061
These are all widely espoused claims and facts from cooking forums. I didn't just make them up.

>That's silly. Is someone trying to say that plastic is hard enough to dull steel? No way
>True, but a very minor detail. That's like shaving yourself in order to "lose weight". Even side grain is much much much softer than a steel knife.
What is often described is that the harder cutting boards will be more prone to catch an edge and cause a chip, not that they would dull the knife by virtue of being a harder material.

>I haven't noticed any glue on my bamboo boards. Nor should there be, the glue is on the inside, not on the outside surface. Furthermore, glue is softer than steel anyway.
You wouldn't see the glue - the point is that bamboo is so porous that the glue soaks into it, hardening the material more than it was originally.

>>8457080
This is a botanical definition. Wood is made of secondary xylem. Bamboo is a grass, and as such does not produce secondary xylem, only primary. Bamboo is therefore not real wood. This explains why it behaves differently than wood when exposed to glue and formed into a cutting board.

>>8457103
No, that's not debatable at all. There are very clear morphological criteria for what is and isn't a grass, and even if it looked nothing like a grass, genetic tests prove the relation.
>>
>>8457117
>What is often described is that the harder cutting boards will be more prone to catch an edge and cause a chip, not that they would dull the knife by virtue of being a harder material.

That sounds ridiculous in the extreme. Are people seriously implying that a piece of wood or plastic is somehow going to "catch" and chip a metal knife? Knives are nowhere near as delicate as that implies.

>>You wouldn't see the glue -
Yes, I would. I'm a woodworker. I know what glue-laden wood looks like vs. wood that doesn't have glue soaked into the pores. Nevermind the fact that wood glue is soft and wouldn't harm a knife anyway.

You're worried about things that are so minor they only exist in your head.

I recommend that you wax your arm so you can chop faster by reducing air resistance. Don't forget to trim your fingernails. That makes your hand lighter so you can move it quicker.
>>
File: shun_edge2.jpg (59KB, 800x207px) Image search: [Google]
shun_edge2.jpg
59KB, 800x207px
>>8457140
>That sounds ridiculous in the extreme. Are people seriously implying that a piece of wood or plastic is somehow going to "catch" and chip a metal knife? Knives are nowhere near as delicate as that implies.
Uh-huh....
>>
I wipe my own ass
>>
>>8457149

You know KAI is well known to not give a single fuck about their heat treatments or QC of those heat treatments, right?

Money says a Torino DP would have been fine used the same way.
>>
>>8457149

What does a pic of a chipped Shun have to do with someone suggesting that a wood cutting board's grain could somehow chip a knife?
>>
>>8457159
You said that a "metal knife" could never chip if used on a wood cutting board or plastic. I provided proof of that happening. Now you're changing the goalposts. I don't care if some knives are a little more resistant to chipping than others. All I care about is that something is happening, and that there may be a way to ameliorate the situation by means of a cutting board specifically designed to be nicer to keen edges.
>>
>>8457188

I'm not the guy you were responding to.

I was just noting that Shun knives are known to be exceedingly prone to chipping, and that in general KAI is does not have a great reputation for heat treatments (see: Kershaw as well).
>>
>>8457209
Do you deny that other Japanese knives can chip as well?
>>
>>8457188
>You said that a "metal knife" could never chip if used on a wood cutting board or plastic.

>>8457159 was not me.

And I didn't say a metal knife could never chip if used on a wood or plastic cutting board. I said you're worrying about something that's vanishingly insignificant.

I have chipped knives on wood cutting boards. Not because the board was wood, but because I was being a retard and was using too thin of a knife to chop through the bones in some turkey wings. The wood wasn't the problem. The fault lied with me using the wrong tool for the job. I was using a thin knife when I should have reached for a cleaver. The wood had nothing to do with it.

Since then I've used a variety of Japanese knives on those same bamboo cutting boards and I've had zero issues whatsoever.

Use your head a little, anon. Why would a steel knife have anything to fear from a wood board? You know that steel tools are used to cut wood in woodworking, right? In fact, many of the smiths in Japan who make kitchen knives also make woodworking tools like chisels, planes, and carving knives. They're made with the same steel and the same laminated construction as a kitchen knife is. And their job is literally to CUT WOOD. Do you really think that a wood cutting board is somehow dangerous to a knife? I'm struggling to even comprehend that.
>>
>>8457216

Not at all. Any high hardness thin geometry knife can chip, I was just mentioning that Shuns are pretty notoriously bad in this regard.
>>
>>8457218
Brittleness is not the same concept as hardness.

>Why would a steel knife have anything to fear from a wood board?
I already explained that. The edge gets caught in the material while the knife is being used, possible being subject to twisting motion, and snapping the edge.

>You know that steel tools are used to cut wood in woodworking, right?
That's not a valid analogy. Tools that are used to cut wood have a blade that is much blunter than a kitchen knife blade. We are not talking about abrasion, which is a function of hardness; we are talking about chipping, which is a function of brittleness. It's possible to grind steel thin and hard enough that you could feasibly snap it with your fingers. Have you never used a razor blade or a box cutter? They chip all the time while cutting into soft materials. You could lean the tip of a box cutter on a wooden desk and snap the tip off the blade.
>>
>>8457254
>Tools that are used to cut wood have a blade that is much blunter than a kitchen knife blade.
Not him, but I am a woodworker and this is straight-up false. A properly-sharpened chisel or plane blade is shaving sharp.
>>
>>8457254
>The edge gets caught in the material while the knife is being used, possible being subject to twisting motion, and snapping the edge.

1) That's more likely to happen with the the softer "end grain" cutting board than a side-grain one.

2) It's not going to happen at all unless you're swinging your knife like some kind axe.

>>Tools that are used to cut wood have a blade that is much blunter than a kitchen knife blade.
Nope. As I posted before, I am a woodworker. I sharpen my chisels on the exact same stones that I use for my kitchen knives. The bevel angle is very similar and the sharpness is no different.

>>Have you never used a razor blade or a box cutter?
Often. I've never chipped one unless it was against something hard.

I suppose you could if you stuck it into something soft and then twisted it like a retard, but I doubt that's going to happen to your cutting board.
>>
>>8457159
I have a very good Japanese made knife (not mentioning maker because I don't want idiots conflating this with it being a bad knife) that I have never had an issue with, that I have never thought I babied, ever. One of my coworkers used it for maybe 5 minutes and it was chipped along the entire fucking blade, maybe an inch toward the heel and tip were spared.
I'm wondering if they were chopping fossilized black pepper or some shit, or just went at retarded angles with their chops.
It's not a big deal since I am competent at regrinding and sharpening, but goddamn, I've never seen anything like it, and it changed my perspective on advising people, because there are very obviously people who can't use very hard blades without fucking them up.
It should also be mentioned that hardness is not the most important characteristic to consider for a utilitarian knife, at least not for most people.
>>
>>8457544

I agree with all of that, it just annoys me that KAI makes money hand over fist selling Shuns, Kershaws and Zero Tolerances when they are well known to give zero fucks about their heat treatments, under or over harden everything, and half as their QC.

As a result I regularly remind people that KAIs heat treats are dogshit.
>>
>>8457607
Yeah, I've never been a fan of Shun. I haven't ever thought of them as bad, either, just overpriced.
You very well could be right about the heat treatments on them, I haven't looked into it.
>>
>>8457288
My personal experience (and logic) contradicts your espoused opinions.

>>8457272
No, it isn't. The blade geometry of woodworking tools is nothing like a kitchen knife and you know it. Stop trying to act like a big shot online when you're just a moron.
>>
>>8457714
He didn't say blade geometry, he said sharpness.

A properly-sharpened chisel or plane will shave as well as any knife. There is precious little difference between the edge of a chisel and a knife with a scandi grind. Go huff paint, mouthbreather.
>>
File: wrong.gif (1MB, 480x287px) Image search: [Google]
wrong.gif
1MB, 480x287px
>>8457772
>He didn't say blade geometry, he said sharpness.
>>8457254
>Tools that are used to cut wood have a blade that is much blunter than a kitchen knife blade.
>>
>>8457798
Yes. Bluntness is a measure of sharpness, not a description of angles.
>>
>>8457801
I can see the word being a little ambiguous and therefore an ideal target for an idiot like yourself to seize upon in the last death throes of losing the argument, but you're wrong that it doesn't mean a wider angle in the context of cutting tools.
>>
>>8457816
I mean, you're not entirely wrong, but you're still pretty wrong. In all meaningful contexts when it comes to knives, bluntness means how sharp it is, not the angle of the blade. A knife with a 17deg bevel can be sharper, just as sharp, or blunter than a knife with a 22deg bevel.
>>
>>8457288
>>The edge gets caught in the material while the knife is being used, possible being subject to twisting motion, and snapping the edge.
>
>1) That's more likely to happen with the the softer "end grain" cutting board than a side-grain one.
I don't know who told you this, but they didn't know what they were talking about. End grain cutting boards are the best you can use for your blade. I would NEVER use a plastic cutting board with a Japanese knife and try not to use side grain. This is Japanese knife ownership 101.

>Nope. As I posted before, I am a woodworker. I sharpen my chisels on the exact same stones that I use for my kitchen knives.
Wow. Congratulations. Tell me something, woodworker. Do you often mince vegetables with chisels?
>>
>>8457607

The result of bad QC would be more likely to just be an occasional batch being shit.

It's not like good heat treat is a skill. Even if they don't have a fully automated production line it's almost certainly still just a question of push a button, wait for a ding and move blanks to the next machine.

With bad QC that becomes, go to lunch, ignore ding for half an hour, ship shitty knives.
>>
>>8457896

I mean bad QC in the sense of not catching the problems with their HT protocols or how those protocols are actually being carried out, and bad heat treats in the sence of choosing the lowest cost approach regardless of negative side effects.

They had huge problems with Shuns being abnormally brittle, with 13c26 Kershaws being laughably underhardened, with ELMAX ZTs failing catastrophically in customers hands, etc.
>>
>>8457833
>Do you often mince vegetables with chisels?

Not him, but sine you asked I've diced onions with before with my larger chisels, way better than using a dull knife.

Protip, any decent woodworker's bladed tools are going to be a million times sharper than your kitchen knife, because it is ALL pushcutting. You don't ever slice wood, so there is no need to stop at 4k-6k grit, you go all the way up to 15k.

>bud id gon chip

Get tools that aren't shit.

https://youtu.be/v3Ad6tBdLbM?t=1m10s
>>
>>8458099
>https://youtu.be/v3Ad6tBdLbM?t=1m10s
That's you in the video, huh.
>>
>>8458112
Obviously not, but I'm not going to record myself and, likewise, I won't expect you to record yourself. Feel free to post footage of any chef in the world. Post any type of knifework that you think demonstrates the sharpness of the tool, and I will post a woodworking video with a tool a million times sharper.

As I said before, this is simply a function of how the tools are used. You try to slice with a knife sharpened on a 15k grit stone and it's going to feel dull because of how tiny the serrations in the knife are. I can't think of a single knife that is wielded in a SOLELY pushcutting form like a plane or chisel. Ergo, the knife will be "duller" because having larger serrations in the edge will allow it to cut better.

A knife edge under extreme magnification looks almost identical to a saw blade, and those serrations are what are responsible for allowing slicing action.

The knife threads on /k/ are actually better, if you ignore sebenzafag and all the folder fags you might learn something.
>>
For the vast majority of people a "sharp" knife just means it goes through food easily. But that depends on quite a few factors - the actual sharpness (i.e. how pointy the actual cutting edge is), the angle of the bevel, the thickness of the blade where the cutting bevel begins, (i.e the thickness of the blade behind the "shoulders" of the cutting bevel), what the surface of the bladeface is like (how easily food can slide "up" the bladeface when cutting) and the actual width of the blade at the spine (i.e.how much wedging occurs when cutting through thick, hard produce like bulb celery).
>>
>>8456597
Al just "sensible" workhorse watches, just lke I like my knives. My favourites are the three solar Seikos in the top right corner - ssn 193, ssc 147 and ssc 365, if I remember correctly.
>>
File: IMG_0079.jpg (3MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0079.jpg
3MB, 3648x2736px
>>8459018
Forgot pic ...
>>
>>8459022

That's the worst watch collection I've ever seen. What kind of asshole obsesses with metal bands? You could put a patek philippe on one of those pieces of shit.
>>
>>8459022

Do you wear that shit in public like its the 80's?
>>
>>8459034
I'm not sure what you mean be "put a Patek Philippe on one of those pieces of shit"? Sell my collection and buy a single PP instead? Or put on a patek phillippe leather wristband on one, or what?

Like I said I like simple, rugged workhorse stuff. I'm not the least bit interested in Patek Phillippes or IWCs or similar watches. And I prefer metal armbands because they will never look ugly, worn out and shabby like leather armbands will over time.
>>
>>8459051

It's just a really ugly work group. I don't know why you'd take a picture of that. Really just unrefined and horrible and from the 80s. in fact. You have no taste
>>
>>8459022
Literally the only one I would wear is the Seiko 5, what the fuck is up with all that bullshit on the watch faces.

Also, if you're going to get a watch with a black face, please for the love of god put a leather band on it.
>>
>>8459034
>>8459042
>>8459063
>>8459081

You're just a bunch of big meanies. Now I will be crying the whole day.
>>
>>8458099
>>8458151

While I agree that woodworking tools are sharpened to be as sharp kitchen knives (I. E. Shaving sharp), the idea that a higher grit edge is sharper is incorrect.

Sharpness is typically measured by average apex width and, on average, a 320 grit apex can be just as thin as a 15k grit apex (on the 320 grit apex the thinness of the scallops offsets the thickness of the teeth).

Instead, grit just determines the size of the microscopic teeth on the apex and as a result it determines the balance between pushcutting sharpness and slicing aggression.

>>8459003

This is also very true. Most people severely underestimate how large a role blade geometry plays in cutting performance.

A large portion of the advantage of Japanese style kitchen knives is the much thinner geometry they typically have.

>>8459034
>>8459081
>>8459094

People who know so little about watches that they claim watches with black faces can't be worn with metal bracelets can safely be totally ignored.
>>
File: 1429222349101.jpg (39KB, 467x433px) Image search: [Google]
1429222349101.jpg
39KB, 467x433px
>>8459239
>Sharpness is typically measured by average apex width

If you'd prefer, apex width is generally determined by metal composition (assuming it is measured after light use)

>a 320 grit apex can be just as thin as a 15k grit apex

No

>on the 320 grit apex the thinness of the scallops offsets the thickness of the teeth
Are you retarded? If we want to use saw terms, 320 grit gives you a larger set, and therefore kerf i.e. thickness. You don't measure thickness by averaging the set, if you did that you would indeed find all the cutting edge would be as thick at all grits because that is how averages work.

You measure exterior dimensions only for "thinness" the scallops don't come into play.

Give zknives a read.
>Most people severely underestimate how large a role blade geometry plays in cutting performance.

This is correct, laminated steel is fantastic for this.

>People who know so little about watches that they claim watches with black faces can't be worn with metal bracelets can safely be totally ignored.

This is not.
A quality leather band will look orders of magnitude better than that shitty chinesium metal band that came with your watch.
>>
>>8459276

So, if knife A takes 5 lbs of force to slice a rope and 20 lbs of force to pushcut it, and knife B takes 10 lbs of force to slice a rope and 12 lbs of force to pushcut it, which is sharper?

Also, the scallops in a coarse apex finish are thinner than on a finer finish, that is why the average of scallop and tooth thickness on a coarse apex can be the same as the average thickness of a more polished apex.

This is why it is possible to get a 320 grit apex shaving sharp, and possible to do cross-grain pushcuts on newsprint with it if you catch the newsprint between the scallops.

And since you probably still won't believe me, I will go dig up the electron microscope photography that empirically proves this to be true shortly.
>>
>>8459276

Take a look at the electron microscope images on the Science of Sharp blog and notice that the apexes formed on the 1k and 16k stones with edge trailing strokes are both less than 0.1microns in width:

https://scienceofsharp.wordpress.com/2015/02/09/the-pasted-strop-part-1/
>>
>>8455605
Are you on KKF? I swear I've seen this pic there. Anyway, really nice collection. All I have to say about that.

>>8456068
>not one nice j-handle

Why spend all that money for such similar knives? You could thin it down and have one or two really nice Gyuto with some variety.
>>
>>8459303
>>8459329
>That empirically proves this to be true

1. Read the goddamn article
2. You fundamentally do not understand the concepts being discussed.
>>
>>8459413
I am on KKF, but I've only posted that photo here, not there.
>>
>>8459442

Unfortunately it is you who does not understand, because your understanding of sharpness is heavily biased towards push cutting sharpness.

Multiple electron microscope images across that blog demonstrate that edge trailing stokes are capable of producing 0.1 micron apex widths off of stones ranging from a DMT coarse to a 16k Shapton. There is nothing to debate here. The images show this to be true directly.

The higher grit apexes become smoother, and thus more suitable for shaving--which is the focus of his blog--but that is a tradeoff between push cutting sharpness and slicing sharpness, which was what I said.

The other point I made, which you conveniently ignored, is that even if you measure sharpness by force required to make cuts rather than apex width, that it is possible for a one blade to require less force to make slicing cuts while the other requires less force to make push cuts.

In such a case, which is sharper?
>>
File: Grit_Apex_Width_Comparison.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Grit_Apex_Width_Comparison.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>8459442

Please look at the attached image which shows four different apexes at identical magnification.

The top left is off a 325 grit DMT coarse, the bottom left is off a 600 grit DMT fine, the top right is off a Shapton 16k and the bottom right is off a Suehiro Gokumyo 20k.

The apex widths are identical. Only the balance between slicing sharpness and pushcutting sharpness changes between these four apexes.
>>
Just got some ginsu knives from a thrift store. Some of them are gimmicky and I have no idea what to do with them, but I was wondering if they're worth sharpening and putting in the extra effort to maintain and use them?

None of them are dirty or nicked, but I'm sure they need sharpening and honing.
>>
File: img_1130.jpg (57KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
img_1130.jpg
57KB, 1024x682px
Can we just get back to talking about knives for fuck's sake?

I'm thinking of picking up a Gesshin Uraku 240mm gyuutou from JKI. Does anybody have one of these and can comment on it?

The product description is purposefully vague about the kind of steel, doesn't mention the bevel, doesn't mention the hardness, and when I do a Google search, I get some forum posts where the owner is saying that he doesn't want to share that info. Yet, this knife appears to be very thin, lightweight, high quality wa-handle, includes a saya, and potentially a pretty good knife. Nobody seems to know much about them, though. It's about at the top of my price range. Is it good, and if not, what are some other knives that are like this?

https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/products/gesshin-uraku-240mm-stainless-wa-gyuto
>>
>>8460048
Jon at JKI doesn't carry bad products.

If you are in doubt, he is always ready on the phone and will gladly answer any questions you have regarding knives.

If you are too sperg to call, just order it. It's a good knife.
>>
File: IMG_20170112_142359.jpg (415KB, 1120x1680px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170112_142359.jpg
415KB, 1120x1680px
*tips fedora*
>>
someone rec me a decent nakiri
>>
>>8460064
Toyama Noborikoi is the best nakiri on the market.

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/toyama-noborikoi-kasumi-nakiri-180mm/
>>
>>8460064
For what price? Do you prefer ease of sharpening or longevity of edge retention? Any preference on type of steel? - i.e., can you get into the habit of wiping your knife dry after every cut, like a Japanese chef would, or are you like a normal Westerner and don't dry your knives until after you finish prepping the food, cooking the food, eating, and washing everything up afterwards?
>>
>>8460071
wew thats a nice veggie knife.
>>
How do people rate the various Japanese knife importers, in terms of the overall quality of service, quality of products, and your experience with them?

-Japanese Knife Imports
-Chef Knives To Go
-Japanese Natural Stones
-Japanese Chefs Knife
-others?

Also (if you feel like going into detail), how do you rate the top brands found at each? Why are some knives always out of stock and should I ignore all the knives "sitting on the shelves" and just wait to buy some of these (assuming they are the most desirable and therefore the best)?
>>
>>8460115
indeed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1aAw2CpGCM
>>
File: 1484008833552.png (240KB, 502x502px) Image search: [Google]
1484008833552.png
240KB, 502x502px
>not learning blacksmithing to create your own cutlery
Fucking plebs, all of you.
>>
>>8460079
i have more towels than jesus on my station and leaving shit on my tools is not something i do because it's a short distance to leaving a mess on my line, which will prompt the sous chef to stuff me into a robocoupe and buzz me into dog food.
i was considering the tojiro white#2 because it's cheap as fuck and i work in a restaurant.
>>
>>8460123
Chef knives to go has fucking terrible customer service. Their selection isn't really all that great either. The owner is also a complete novice when it comes to knife usage and sharpening. Basically all he knows how to do is pack and ship the damn things.

JKI has Jon. Jon is the man. Jon knows everything. Jon does not stock bad products. Jon has excellent customer service. If you are in North America and you need a knife, Jon is your guy. Give him a call.

JNS has Maksim. Maksim is roughly the European equivalent of Jon, but with broken English. Maksim is even more picky about what he stocks, which is only the best. Maksim takes long vacations sometimes, and is not always fast at answering emails. But he has overall great customer service. Best knife sharpener in Europe. You will not go wrong with any knife you choose from his website, but pretty much everything is out of stock currently as a result of him being on vacation and having a site-wide discount to make up for the delayed shipping.

JCK is good if you know what you want. Decent customer service, not bad, not great. But delivery is reliable.

You should not ignore knives sitting on the shelves. Nothing you buy at JKI or JNS will be bad. JNS restocks quite often, but products also sell quickly, especially gyutos.
>>
>>8460149
I don't own that knife, but Tojiro makes decent quality steel that may be a little rough around the edges as far as F&F goes, in my experience. Only negative thing I've read about that line of knives is that the cladding steel rusts more easily than the core steel, but those comments are almost certainly from American cooks who let their knives get wet and stay wet the entire time they're using them. They have no concept of how the knives are intended to be used. Watch at this sushi chef and note how often he dries his knife, sometimes before he's even done with a cut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cmMvH-auWs
>>
>>8460159
>The owner is also a complete novice when it comes to knife usage and sharpening. Basically all he knows how to do is pack and ship the damn things.
I noticed in some of the product videos (a nice touch to have a video on a product page, by the way), he can't even pronounce the name of the knife, calling gyuto knives something that sounds like "gyuh-tuh," for example. They do have the widest selection of knives of the four stores, so good to know that not all of the knives they carry have been vetted.

Also good to know that JKI and JNS are both g2g no matter the product. I was a little concerned about JNS, given that there are spelling errors on pretty much every product page and parts of the descriptions are obviously copied and pasted to every single product page. Is there a way to sign up for a "back in stock" alert with JNS? I tried making an account, but it only let me add things to my wish list - I don't know if it will send me notifications or not. Maybe they have some other way of letting people know when something comes back in stock?

Any way to screen knives at JCK for quality aside from reading thousands of forum posts and non-professional reviews online? I'm mostly wondering about the knives that they stock exclusively and you can't find anywhere else.
>>
>>8460123
>>8460159
>JCK is good if you know what you want. Decent customer service, not bad, not great. But delivery is reliable.

I can confirm that JCK has excellent customer service, at least assuming you know what you want. I asked them to special-order me a Sugimoto butcher knife that they didn't even show in their catalog and they got it to me quickly, for a good price, and with no hassle.
>>
>>8460248
JNS has spelling errors all over because English is Maksim's 3rd language. He also has dyslexia. Maksim sends out a newsletter when he bulk-restocks the site. You can sign up for this newsletter in the bottom of the page. Just don't get your hopes up for getting a Kato or Shigefusa. Those two brands usually sell out in less than 5 minutes after the newsletter is sent out. Last time a Kato was only in stock for two minutes. Maksim is in Japan now, and comes back in three days. He usually brings a ton of shit back with him, so expect an update soon. The account system is only in place so you can quickly check out in the situation of trying to order a hot item. Wish list system is useless.

No way to screen JCK knives other than from other user experience reviews. Masomoto knife quality has gone downhill as of late. Mizuno is good, as is Mr. Itou. Sukenari honyaki is a bargain, but the rest is hit and miss. Saji is good usually. Skip Fujiwara. Skip Hattori. The rest I don't know.

Another store is Knives and Stones in Australia. Very good customer service. Not huge selection, but good nonetheless.

>>8460281
Fair enough.
>>
>>8456897
I think the general rule of thumb is that if your knife can easily scratch the surface of your cutting board, it's soft enough
>>
>>8460284
>Masomoto knife quality has gone downhill as of late.
I've not heard that. The VG, and KS knives are all so highly regarded...

>Mizuno is good, as is Mr. Itou. Sukenari honyaki is a bargain, but the rest is hit and miss.
If only I wasn't a little shy of carbon steel, I'd be more interested in these, but I'm more of a newbie to Japanese knives and don't want my first one to get pitting on the edge by accident.

>Saji is good usually.
Can't seem to find these on the website.

>Skip Fujiwara.
Hmm, how bad are they? Worse than Tojiro? The prices are so attractive.

>Skip Hattori.
I have read that the FH is better than the other Hattori lines. Are you including those in this statement?
>>
>>8460336
KS has had grind issues as of late.
>>
>>8460048
>the owner is saying that he doesn't want to share that info
What the fuck? Why not?
>>
>>8460123
My only experience was with CKTG. It came really fast and for cheap shipping, well packaged so it didn't bang around. A friendly hand written thanks and smiley face was cute.
>>
>>8460133
I'm currently having a handle made for an ild poultry cleaver that a cut down to turn into a vegetable cleaver. I'm also planning on making a knife out of an old tandem saw. Wish me luck.
>>
>>8460355

The rationale he gave in the forum post was that other people who do the same kind of thing he does would try to copy him and ride on the coattails of what he has approved to be a good knife. He seemed to have a particular person in mind, but didn't name names (maybe CKTG?).

For example, he said, if he sells a great knife and it uses AEB-L steel, then some other knife importer could get a hold of an AEB-L knife that looks pretty similar and say that this is the next great knife steel and their AEB-L knife is better than his. He also said that steel type doesn't necessarily determine knife performance, but didn't provide any proof that his knife defies its steel type characteristics.

It's all a little shaky, especially because he discloses the steel type for plenty of other knives, including other Gesshin Uraku knives, so I don't really buy into it. Maybe the issue is that his supplier changes the steel used periodically, depending on availability, or maybe (but seems less likely) the steel blend is itself proprietary.
>>
I was looking for japanese handsaws online and noticed a number of sites were selling kitchen knives as well. I don't know enough about knives to be able to tell you whether they had a good range or good prices but it might be something to look into.
>>
>>8456422
they had a reputation of chipping because it is harder steel, as you know, and because Westerners use the knives differently, again as you know, which is basically careless in comparison to Japanese knife use. if you used it correctly, it wouldn't chip, and the people who's Shuns chipped were not using it correctly
>>
>>8460369
That's pretty weird. I like to onow what kind of steel I'm buying. If someone's specifically obscuring the type of steel he uses, I wouldn't buy that knife.
>>
>>8460159
CKTG also has a history of bad business practices and drama with other people. I wasn't around for any of it because I wasn't into knives but apparently he asked for advice and ended up using that friendly advice as business practice or something.
>>
>>8460815
you are a dumbass
>>
>>8460852
So what's the problem with that? Did the person who gave the advice want an advising fee or something?
>>
>>8460956
He may be a dumbass, but what he said is accurate, in my experience. I've seen Miyabi and Shun knives that got chipped to shit because the owner used them like normal Western knives.
>>
A few things have changed since taking this photo, but I can't be bothered to take a new one

Got saya's for;
> Shiro Kamo 240mm
> Masakage Koishi 210mm
> Kanehiro 270mm
>Masanobu 110mm

Bought a pair of Kitchen Sheers from Tojiro, (absolutely beautiful), along with a carving fork, and an 8" tweezer
>>
>>8462015

RAAAAAAAAGHR!!!!

I fucking hate you every time you post your $200 knife roll (just the roll, not counting the knives).

I want that so bad, but am embarrassed as fuck just bringing in my MAC knife into the BoH, as though I'm showing off or something.

>hurr durr, i should be ashamed for only being an alcoholic and not wasting my money on harder things
>>
I'm looking for a nice fillet knife I can take camping. I don't want to just get some Gerber thing that will lose its edge after using it once. It would be nice if it could double as a kitchen knife and be resistant enough to rusting that I could take it into the outdoors too.

I was thinking about making it my first Bark River knife and I think the Kalahari Sportsman pretty much fills the bill (I've been eyeing Bark River knives for a long time), but I've had a lot of doubt cast on the company after doing some research.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ss8NtqEkw&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io38wpBLNfg
Apparently their heat treat is shit and there may be something horribly and fundamentally wrong with how they put edges on a knife, which is disappointing.

Recommend a nice, quality fillet knife?
>>
>>8462015
>band-aids in knife bag
I'll be doing this even though my job has band-aids
>>
>>8451075
>>8453714
>>8454097

Jap niggers do make some pretty good looking knives.

Would use any of those to chop up mirepoix or trinity.
>>
>>8462173

All you should need to see to dismiss BRK as a bunch of charlatans is their shop tour video.

They literally show themselves burning the everloving shit out of the edges of customer knives by power grinding them mercilessly without active liquid cooling.

The fact that those idiots filmed themselves throwing showers of sparks off the edges of customer knives ALONE proves that they should never be given a dollar by anyone.
>>
>>8462173
those knives look like there were made in a former auto parts factory that didn't bother getting the appropriate tools to make knives instead of break parts or whatever
>>
Good cleaver on a budget? A big black man keeps using my knives to cut through chicken bones
>>
File: knives.jpg (59KB, 1184x666px) Image search: [Google]
knives.jpg
59KB, 1184x666px
>>
>>8462588
You can find those in any Asian market or butcher equipment shop. Or look in pawn shops or on ebay. I have bought some pretty nice knives off ebay.
>>
>>8462675
I don't want a chinese cleaver, I want an actual cleaver. Something off amazon would be best, ebay doesn't have the same presence here
>>
>>8462600
time to grind down the bolster on that chef's knife methinks ... and the profile is pretty weird. Is it even convex anymore? It almost looks like it is concave, with a "bridge" forming over the cutting board, which renders a knife basically useless, of course
>>
>>8462678
Asian shops have actual cleavers too, those things come in all blade thicknesses.
>>
>>8462568
>>8462579

I get it. Do you have any suggestions for a premium-looking, hybrid kitchen/outdoors fillet knife? I don't want to use a Rapala at the counter, and would prefer taking a nicer steel into the outdors that will hold an edge and not requirere sharpening while still on the trail.
>>
>>8462198
There are time where i'm sent to do functions outta the restaurant, and you never really know what a place will or wont have. I keep it just to keep my mind settled, never had to use any as of yet heheeh
>>
File: IMGP1958.jpg (4MB, 3072x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP1958.jpg
4MB, 3072x2048px
My Wusthof Classic Ikon 9" came in today and it looks like the monkeys at Amazon didn't pack it up properly. Also, Wusthof appears to have packed the knife in a cardboard sleeve only, no plastic blister or cardboard box... The tip is ever so slightly bent (see pic in next post)...
>>
File: IMGP1957.jpg (3MB, 3072x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP1957.jpg
3MB, 3072x2048px
Should I be worried about this? This is with a macro lens and the part of the tip that's bent is really small, just looks like a bur, but it is a $160 knife. I feel like I should make them replace it just because.
>>
>>8463785
Find Amazon's live chat to talk to support. The Pajeets they have doing support are awesome and will replace it for free with basically no questions asked if you tell them it arrived damaged.
>>
>>8463785
I'd definitely have them replace it. That's too much money to pay for even a small defeciency that will only worsen with time.
>>
>>8464171
Couldn't he grind that out the first time he sharpens it?
>>
>>8464179
Maybe. But if I pay that much money, it better be perfect so I don't have to worry about it unless I fuck it up.
>>
File: ikazuchi.png (537KB, 1288x706px) Image search: [Google]
ikazuchi.png
537KB, 1288x706px
So I placed an order for an Ikazuchi with JKI earlier today, and I just got a call from the owner who wanted to make sure that I knew how to care for carbon steel, how not to chip a thinly ground blade, and if I still wanted to buy it. That's a pretty damn high level of service.
>>
File: IMG_20170112_225503.jpg (90KB, 1000x894px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170112_225503.jpg
90KB, 1000x894px
these are my knifes. i use the one up from the red one mostly. should i use the biggest black one? the one i use now is impossible to smash garlics for example.

i have no idea about knifes so PLS RESPOND
>>
>>8464575
you just need a new knife

one good knife then toss the rest

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-45520-Frustration-Packaging/dp/B008M5U1C2/ref=pd_lpo_79_bs_t_2/161-3027266-0027425?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NR1RZJS6MDN9F23VYJD6

this is a good cheap starter
>>
>>8464588
are giesser chef knifes any good?
>>
File: richmond-23.png.jpg (66KB, 477x600px) Image search: [Google]
richmond-23.png.jpg
66KB, 477x600px
Late night bump.

Should I take a look at Richmond knives? I want a wa-handle gyuto and this is the only one I can find under $100 that looks at all decent.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/richmond2.html
>>
>>8464499
More likely he is deathly afraid by now of idiot customers who try to cut up chicken carcasses with his knives, then run them trough the dishwasher and then demand a refund because the knife chipped and rusted. And then leave a review somewhere telling everybody about his shit knives, and that their Costco knives never had such problems.
>>
>>8464575
All those knives, except maybe the FISKARS slicer and petty, are utter garbage. And the Fiskars are bottom tier, too. None of the knives in the picture allow to you to cut stuff properly, with the proper technique. Just get one good, deicated chef's knife. The Victorinox, or a Wüsthof SilverPoint (something like a secret tip IMHO) or the IKEA 365+ all steel chef's knife, which is surprisingly nice.
>>
>>8464608
Yes, a small German brand. Very rarely found in retail shops and homes, they mostly sell to professional customers I think - butcher shops and restaurants
>>
File: IMGP1960.jpg (3MB, 3072x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP1960.jpg
3MB, 3072x2048px
>>8465513

I have a couple knives I got from IKEA some 8 years ago when I moved out. They are made of moly-vanadiam stainless, which will get little corrosion spots if your idiot housemate puts it in the dishwasher. My main one is only 5 inches long, but it's been good to me for cutting a wide variety of foods, despite me knowing nothing about food prep or chef's knives. For a graduate student who only needed something to cut up chicken breasts or chop up carrots, it was good enough for 98% of my needs. The short knife is 1.5" and has proven to be surprisingly useless, but I got a lot of use out of the 5 incher. Kind of a weird size, now that I have a few nicer, larger chef's knives. My new Tojiro petty is 5" long and the handle is about a fifth of the bulk of the IKEA's.

Edge retention is average - not shit, but not bad as long as long as you're not knocking it on hard shit. Mine has a very tiny chip along the edge, but has held up pretty well otherwise. Very easy to sharpen.
>>
>>8465501
I wonder if there is something about my ordering habits that tipped him off that I'm going to be rock chopping this bad boy on glass cutting boards. How did he know?
>>
>>8465592
Ha, the good old SLITBAR series. I have both the larger santoku und the gyuto from that series. A pity they are no longer sold. Pretty well made knives, I agree. Food prep is a pain with such small knives as you have.
>>
>>8465611
>Food prep is a pain with such small knives as you have.

Yes, now that I have an 8" chef's knife, I wonder how I ever got by with using a 5" all purpose knife for everything.
>>
>>8465609
He just knows that 99% of people have habits that are NOT GOOD for delicate high-perfomance knives. Cutting on glass "cutting" "boards", or on the granite countertop (hi mom), or they run them through the dishwasher ( I mean the dishwashng machine) or they chop bones or try to split a coconut ... every person on any knife forum can tell tales of how they lent their knives to somebody and gotthem back ruined a monute later. The number of ways dumb people can fuck up one's cherished knife is astounding in their creativity and infinite in its variety.
>>
>>8465460
If you can't afford more than $100 and this is the only knife at that price it doesn't seem like a you have a lot of choice.

Have you looked at the JCK Originals series from japanesechefsknife?
>>
>>8465653
I don't have a single family member who hasn't fucked up their own expensive knives badly due to abuse. Or really anyone in my family who knows anything about knives out of their own interest. Where did people learn this kind of thing pre-internet? It seems like everyone I know who is over about 35 or 40 has no clue how to educate themselves quickly about a new topic, even to get an idea of what they don't know.

>mom
Only owns Cutco knives, and most of them are serrated, never sharpened by her, but once when I was younger she had a Cutco traveling salesman to come to the house to sharpen the knives for her, which is apparently a service they provide. They had to replace two of her knives because they were so beyond salvation as to be deemed unsharpenable.

>dad
Knows enough to buy big chef's knives and run them over the honing rod every once in a while, but that's all he knows how to do; is also stupid enough to use a Wusthof Classic to cut open a coconut (totally ruining the edge) and has managed to cover the entire cutting edge of a Miyabi in small chips without noticing until I pointed it out to him long after the deed had been done.

>grandfather (only grandparent on either side who cooks)
All his knives are dull, even ceramic ones. His main girlfriend (grandmother is dead & he moved on) cuts with them on plates, glass cutting boards, the granite countertop, practically any material that is hard enough to dull them with minimal effort. Which is sad because she's a college professor and supposed to be "smart." I think his secondary girlfriend has more sense in the kitchen, but he doesn't let us meet her.
>>
File: 20161211_130021_HDR-1600x1200.jpg (271KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
20161211_130021_HDR-1600x1200.jpg
271KB, 1600x1200px
IKEA 365+

Have used fibrox in commercial kitchens in the past, wanted something pretty. Have a 15 year warranty, nice balance, look cool

Going to get the rest of the set next time I go there, really like these.
>>
>>8465784
I agree, one of the most used knives in my 60+ piece chef knife collection. The blade face profits from some buffing wth a cotton cloth wheel with rough compound. Much less stiction and glides through food much easier.
>>
File: 71jConKuV4L._SY355_[1].jpg (5KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
71jConKuV4L._SY355_[1].jpg
5KB, 355x355px
my girlfriend has one of these messermeister four seasons chef knives which I use most of the time, though I'd like to get my own chef knife soon, not sure if I should just stick with stainless or get a carbon steel one
>>
>>8465885
Depends on how much you like rust?
>>
>>8465897
surprisingly I'm not a fan
since my girlfriend can be a bit careless with washing and drying knives I'd probably be best with regular stainless
>>
I want a magnetic strip for storing my knives, only problem is that I'm renting and can't attach one to the wall, is there any option that would be fine for a rental? Or maybe a similar alternative?
>>
>>8465902
Pros and enthusiasts love many carbon steels because they are famously easy to polish into having a screamingly sharp, narrow edge, but stainless steels are perfectly viable. It all depends on the knife, though. There are certainly a fair number of stainless knives that aren't very good.
>>
>>8465905
Do you have tiles? Glue it to the tiles. When you want to take it down you cut it loose with a thin blade.
>>
File: ..b7.jpg (728KB, 944x1000px) Image search: [Google]
..b7.jpg
728KB, 944x1000px
>>8462015

w2c that knife roll? I was looking at a felt roll by messermeister but that waxed canvas looks pretty spiff
>>
>>8465905

If you have a smooth surface (tile or laminated wood) then these kinds of strips will hold a surprising amount of weight (Tesa Powerstrips, dunno if they sell all over the world though).

I had them holding down mirrors on a door for near a decade and they still removed without residue.

PS. if you have a reasonable landlord just talk with him and ask to put two screws in the wall though.
>>
File: 540860_AB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg (42KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
540860_AB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg
42KB, 1000x1000px
>>8466489

Forgot pic.
>>
File: IMG_6551.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6551.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Shigeharu Gyuto 210mm
>>
Saturday bump
>>
>>8466553
Any tips for a good angle for a gyuto? Mine right now is at 15 ish degrees, should i make it more acute?
>>
>>8456201
>petal

Lol fag
>>
>>8468278
15 degrees is fine man.
>>
>>8465653

So what you're saying is that using a masonry hammer to pound a chefs knife through a block of frozen chicken is bad.....
>>
File: 740510157420p.jpg (26KB, 478x478px) Image search: [Google]
740510157420p.jpg
26KB, 478x478px
What's the purpose of the "utility knife"?
>>
>>8469161
Western, or Japanese... I'm not really sure how it fits into what I've been told about knife usage. I.e., where you are using a chef's knife/gyuto for major cutting and a paring/petty for finer work. What would you use a utility knife for? Tomatoes?
>>
>>8469161
>>8469164
A chef's knife is for working on your cutting board (whatever technique you prefer) and a parer is for really delicate work, like cutting the roots out of tomatoes or cutting out the core from apple wedges, or (*gasp*) paring stuff. A utility or petty is for everything that is not "traditional" cutting on the board, but for which a parer is too small. Like this:
https://youtu.be/_olE_Gz6lFU?t=50s
>>
>>8469164
And yes, it would be really good for tomatoes. Tomatoes are best cut by placing the tip of the knife on the board and then "drawing" the blade through the potato. That way the tomato slices normally don't stick to the side of the knife. You need an extremely sharp knife for that, and a normal chef's knife is usually at least a bit dulled from contact with the board. You needn't touch the board with the edge of the petty, just the tip.
>>
>>8469732
drawing the blade through the TOMATO, of course. Damn.

But if you have a really sharp, thin knife, i.e. a proper laser, this special cutting technique actuall works with potatoes too.
>>
>>8469703
Cutting out the STEM from tomatoes. Not wholly awake yet, fuck.
>>
Recently bought a knife from JKI but forgot to ask him to put an initial edge on it. I have a set of water stones, but am not that good at using them yet. The knife seems fairly sharp, but it doesn't have a "shaving" edge on it and I wonder how much sharper it could get. I don't have that much experience with Japanese knives, tbqh. Should I send it back to him to put a better edge on it?
>>
>>8470964
Water stones are for spergs, just get an edgepro. Nobody cooking at home does enough sharpening to justify full size stones
>>
>>8471005
>Waterstones are for spergs
>but spending hundreds of dollars on a guided sharpening system that uses waterstones isn't for spergs

Just how bad at sharpening ARE you, senpai?
>>
Can anybody give me some feedback on this? What is involved in an "initial sharpening?" How difficult is it for a newbie with a set of whetstones who doesn't know what to do with them?
>>8470964
>>
>>8465963
The brands ProperApronCompany. Real nice line of chef-wear
>>
>>8471005

This is why you don't listen to the emotional cripples on this site. Don't ever take advice from this site, it's filled with really confused and dangerous people.
Thread posts: 216
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.