[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HQS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 284
Thread images: 45

File: talisker-10-year-old-whisky.jpg (18KB, 370x1000px) Image search: [Google]
talisker-10-year-old-whisky.jpg
18KB, 370x1000px
> no whisky thread
> open minded OP

Time for a high quality spirits thread. Anything goes, as long as it's high quality. Post favourites, least favourites and any comments on topic.

Also going to buy a bottle of whisky tomorrow, going for pic related cause I'm on a low budget but accepting recommendations.
>>
http://www.themacallan.com/the-whisky/sherry-oak/sherry-oak-12/

Should cost about the same, maybe even a little less expensive.

Light on the tongue and easy to drink.
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 300x450px
My go to bourbon.

Best bang for the buck I've found out of any whiskey be it bourbon, rye, scotch etc.
>>
>>7986080
Really, REALLY wish they bottled it at more then 40%
I'm looking for some extreme smoke, not just understated one, how is this one in that regard?
>>
>>7986163
under 40% should be a crime punishable by prison in regards to whiskey
>>
>>7986273
In fact, as far as I know you cannot legally call your spirit "whisky" if it is under 40%
>>
>>7985872

I've been drinking Balvenie's double wood a lot these days.Been trying different Speyside whiskys. Was drinking peaty stuff befor but kind of moved to oakier scotch.

I was into rye a little while before that. And Calvados before then. Calvados is truly delicious but it gives me a mean fucking hangover.
>>
>>7985872
Talisker is pretty good but not quite worth the money, usually, in my part of the world.

I got lucky and found a place selling Lagavulin 16 in the low 60s. I bought several.
>>
File: ardbeg-ten[1].jpg (147KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
ardbeg-ten[1].jpg
147KB, 900x900px
Who here cooks with whisky, other than standard bourbon chicken-tier stuff?

I just threw half a splash of Ardbeg into my morning eggs, and these "Ardbeggs" were pretty fucking delicious on pumpernickel toast.
>>
>>7985872
>high quality spirits
>spirits
>high quality

memes, the thread

Buy 6$ vodka and run it through a waterfilter a couple of times
>>
>>7987515
I'll occasionally add a splash to stews or stirfrys but I use cheap cheap whiskey for that.
>>
File: image.jpg (25KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25KB, 800x600px
>>7987542
Go to /b/ if you're going to shitpost
>>
>>7987548
Actually, it's a legit trick but only for Vodka

Of course it won't work on Bourbon, etc, where you're paying for the flavor

I drink to get drunk and save money, but I appreciate better liquor all the same.
>>
what are some good beginner scotch/whiskey for ~50$?
>>
>>7987563
>light, flowery, sweet, smooth
Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie, Glen Garioch, Balvenie
>rich, dark, creamy, syrupy
Bunnahabhain 12
>dry, salty, smoky, maritime
Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10, Ardmore
>>
>>7987563
Scotch-
Highland Park 12
Glenlivet 12
Glenmorangie 10

Bourbon-
Elijah Craig 12
Eagle Rare 10
Four Roses Small Batch

I'd really suggest Highland Park 12 as your first whiskey. It's got a little bit of everything without being overbearing. And just because it's relatively young for a scotch does not mean it isn't a quality whiskey.
>>
>>7987567
good suggestions too
>>
>>7987567
>>7987580
I really think that Glenlivet is likely to disappoint. It's not THAT low tier, but I tasted some Glenlivet 18 a few days ago and I was expecting so much more, it really didn't taste like a whisky so matured
>>
I want to buy a good smokey whiskey for my dad on his birthday. Hé really enjoys these and already owns a nice "collection" (about 15 bottes).
I was thinking about an Octomore, is it really worth it ?
>>
So I guess Pogues Irish Whiskey is a thing now.
Saw it at my liquor store and had to pick it up.
I still prefer Tullamore Dew.
>>
File: 318413.jpg (77KB, 453x952px) Image search: [Google]
318413.jpg
77KB, 453x952px
Is pic related any good?

Going on holiday with my Dad and bringing a bourbon you don't see very often in the UK, Tesco has it for £32. I really like both Bulleit and Buffalo Trace and they hover around the £20 mark so is this a step up, or should I just bring a bottle of something else?
>>
File: blend_vat1.jpg (72KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
blend_vat1.jpg
72KB, 540x720px
Vat 69 is a high quality whiskey, right?
>>
>>7986163

Macallan is not a smoky whisky at all. For that you want Islay malts - smokiest one at a reasonable price is Laphroaig 10. Avoid the Laphroaig Select, it is a nice dram but nowhere near as smoky as the 10.
>>
>>7988004
But... The link the guy (maybe you) posted read "wood smoke"... I was told a lollapalooza.
>>
>>7987998
better living through chemistry, yes
>>
>>7988045

Wasn't me who posted it. It is a lovely whisky, but not smoky at all. Worth a try as something a little different, although it is expensive. Speyside whisky tends to either be light and easy drinking or quite rich and sherried so a very different proposition from Islay stuff.
>>
>>7987998
Even in my third-world country, where all imported alcohol is expensive, this whiskey is pretty cheap. Do not know the reason of this.
>>
>>7988087
It is a cheap whiskey. The other cheap whiskeys are just sweet, like cut brandy; this is sharp and smoky.

Do you also have The Claymore, Highland Bird, Highland Reserve, Highland Queen, Haddington House, Glen Scanlan, Lord Calvet, Famous Grouse, Hankey Bannister, Long John, Black Velvet and the "the Domestic Knock-off X" withing about one € price range from Vat 69?
>>
File: whisky.jpg (127KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
whisky.jpg
127KB, 540x720px
i tried Lagavulin but it honestly tastes like a cigarerre water.

Been enjoying this a lot more.

Any other smokey whiskies worth trying that aren't ashtray smoke?
>>
>>7987983
W o o d f o r d
>>
>>7988369

Lagavulin 16? If you didn't like that, it is pretty safe to say that you won't like most Islay whiskies.

Try some speyside stuff, very different and very nice.

Highland Park is an excellent choice also, glad you found something you like
>>
File: glenlivetnadurraolorosolrg[1].jpg (155KB, 700x1368px) Image search: [Google]
glenlivetnadurraolorosolrg[1].jpg
155KB, 700x1368px
picked up a liter bottle of this at duty free yesterday
>>
File: w-liq_gla1.jpg (249KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
w-liq_gla1.jpg
249KB, 900x1200px
i know i will prob get hate for this but during winter this is a great drink to have.
>>
>>7988446
I don't mind whisky liqueurs, a local distillery does a good one.
>>
Mind-blowingly amazing.

I can't imagine how the "150" is compared to this; one day I'll need to try it.
>>
>>7988619
I have a bottle of the 150 - it is pretty damn good.
>>
>>7988675

How does the taste compare to the 100? I've only ever had the standard red label & the 100.
>>
I've become very fond of Old Pulteney. I even asked for a bottle for my birthday tomorrow. Smooth and creamy as fuck.
>>
>>7987567
Are there any good cheap smokey whiskeys? All the ones I can find are too expensive for me.
>>
Alright disappointed OP here, my liqueur store didn't have my Talisker. Sheit.
They do have a Baumore on sale, don't know what age but I'm guessing the most basic one. Should I give it a go? Thoughts?
>>
>>7988752
*Bowmore
>>
>>7988752

The basic Bowmore is fine, but nothing special. Don't overpay for it, it sits around the £25 mark here and that is about right I think. For reference that is about half what Lagavulin 16 is, and less than a standard 10 year old Islay malt.
>>
>>7988710
try wine-searcher com, it actually has a decent inventory and prices on everything for looking for shit if you haven't already
>>
File: 1471275844361.jpg (68KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
1471275844361.jpg
68KB, 375x500px
>>7985872
Why are you drinking the liquid jew?
Cause it makes you feel "cool"?
Helps you "fit in"?
Takes away the reality of your already terrible life?
Helps you get "laid" ?(rape charge these days fellas if she's drunk)
Helps you get smarter and healthier?

Alcohol is poison and makes any human act degenerate.

Stop drinking the alcoholic jew.

it makes you fat,sweat and unattractive
it makes you make terrible life choices you normally would not consider sober
it makes you act like a mental retard. If you're drinking to "fit in", you're drinking to fit in with retards.
It will more than likely end you up with a criminal charge for something stupid, you'd never do sober.
In some case it will ruin your life in every way possible.

>hey man, remember that night we got wasted and I pissed my pants, called my ex crying like a bitch and then puked all over myself and passed out in at?
>HA HA! What a great night!!
Stop drinking the liquid jew
>>
>>7988710
How is the price of Smokehead, Bruichladdich, Coal Ila, and Talisker near you?
Ardberg and Laphroaig are likely to be cheaper and more widely available, but as a warning they are the kind of whisky that you love or hate, very particular taste that some people can't stand.

If you can find it I would try Lagavulin 8 or 16, the 16 is much more common, and the 8 is a newer offering. I think the 8 is better than the 16 and it's cheaper.

>>7987567
This motherfucker knows what's up.
>>
>>7989880
NO ONE FALL FOR THE BAIT

JUST IGNORE AND SCROLL ON
>>
File: 20160221_151447.jpg (1MB, 2827x2830px) Image search: [Google]
20160221_151447.jpg
1MB, 2827x2830px
>>7987961
>I was thinking about an Octomore, is it really worth it ?
I've been drinking Octomore since 2.1, and have around a dozen different bottles of it stashed away. If your dad likes peatbombs like Laphroaig and Ardbeg and has never had an Octomore before, any of the .1 releases (6.1, 7.1, etc) will be good for him. They're young, high-proof, and straight-up peat to the extreme, not terribly complex, so some people think they aren't worth the money.

The .2 releases are wine-finished, and beginning with the 6.2 are exclusive to travel retail and directly from the distillery, so you probably won't find those anywhere. They're where the Octomore line really shines; the 2.2 is a legendary drink.

.3 releases started with the 6.3, which was designed to be an Octomore spirit as Islay as possible. The barley for these releases comes from Octomore farm just a couple miles from the distillery. These are also wine-finished. The 6.3 got great reviews.

7.4 is the first .4 release and spent 7 years in virgin oak casks. It's got a lot of oaky flavor to it, unsurprisingly.

So, if you can, get a 6.1, 6.3, 7.1, or 7.3 for your pops.
>>
i prefer rum
>Red Rum
>>
>>7990080
One in particular?
>>
>>7989926
Well, I think there isn't really much more to add here. Thanks a lot for the answer, it helps me a lot !
I will go check in the alcohol store in my town, I remember seeing an Octomore bottle down there, but as a Swiss fag living in a small town... Anyway there is still time before his birthday.

Again, thanks a lot anon !
>>
>>7988619
>>7988675
>>7988681
Question:
How long do Grand Marniers last? Like if you keep those celebratory bottlings for 20 years, are they still going to be good then? I've heard conflicting things since Grand Marnier is 40% cognac and also a liqueur at the same time.
>>
>>7987515
I use it to pan sear rib eye. Look up burbeon seared steaks they're great
>>
>>7987563
Belvinie 12 & Johnny Walker Black
>>
File: images.jpg (4KB, 248x203px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 248x203px
>>7990080
>>
>>7989880
Dont you have a containment board?
>>
>>7985872

I hear big pete is good and extra peaty and you should not be discouraged by label. Not had it though.

I really like monkey shoulder.
>>
>>7988446

I don't have a problem with the jack daniels honey. I but really nice coffee and a small shot in a coffee is great.
>>
>>7990825
This has always been my issue with grand marnier (and other liqueurs). You don't know if it's expired or not already.
>>
Do all whiskies taste like wood? For some reason, I've tried several types, granted they're all starter level samples, but all I'm getting is like I'm licking tree bark.
>>
>>7991787
>tfw they smell so good but taste like shit desu senpai

What have you tried so far though so we at least have an idea
>>
>>7991876
Jameson's, some Canadian whisky, Bushmills, Jameson, Wild Turkey. All entry level offerings for the whiskies. Will I only ever be able to drink Japanese shochu, because at least that doesn't taste like tree?
>>
>>7985872
I'm kinda glad that I didn't get into a buying frenzy for expensive scotch. Shit can go sky high when I checked the prices of Glendronach 15 right before they stopped making them.
>>
>>7991947
Well, shochu doesn't taste like tree because of how it is processed before it becomes shochu.
>>
>>7986137
I like Booker's better and it's 5 bucks cheaper where i live. Cask strength snd no chill filtration are both big pluses imo.

>>7985872
As much as i love whisk(e)y, i think brandy is the king of spirits. I'm especially partial to Armagnac. I've got a bottle of Chateau Laubade cask strength 1989 open right now that is just insanely good.

Also in my cabinet:
Delord XO
Darroze 1979
Lagavulin 16 distillers edition
Glenfarclas 21
Glenmorangie Signet
Bunnahabhain 18
Willett's Family Estate single barrel bourbon
Orphan Barrel Barterhouse bourbon
Jefferson's Very Old bourbon
El Dorado 21 rum
Clement XO agricole rum
>>
>>7991995
>Delord XO
Is that the 25 year or something?
>>
I like Caol Ila and Laphroaig.
>>
>>7991995
>i think brandy is the king of spirits
I'm thinking of branching out more to brandy and have done some research.
Got any tips for calvados, cognac, and armagnac? Are the popular brands like Hennessy and Courvoisier just name brand popular or is Remy Martin, Gautier, and Camus the way to go?
>>
Ardbeg 10 is pretty high class for a cheap scotch relative to other scotch prices.
>>
File: olderpete.jpg (45KB, 596x471px) Image search: [Google]
olderpete.jpg
45KB, 596x471px
>>7991752
>big pete
>>
>>7992046
Generally speaking, cognac and armagnac are fairly similar. Both are grape brandies made in France, although in different regions. Though they use slightly different grapes (cognac is about 99% Ugni Blanc, while Armagnac also uses baco blanc, folle blanche snd colombard), the main difference is distillation. Cognac is distilled twice while armagnac is only distilled once, like a whiskey. This means more flavorful compounds and oils are left in Armagnac, and results in Cognac being generally mellower, more delicate, and arguably more 'refined' while Armagnac is bolder, richer, and more powerful in flavor. Armagnac also doesn't have the same name recognition or prevalence in popular culture, so it's often way cheaper for the quality but also harder to find.

For cognac I'd definitely avoid the 'big name' producers, at least at first. Not that they don't make a good product, but they're so well known that they're pretty severely overpriced. Going searching for cognac from less-known producers will give you a lot more bang for your buck. I also find they often come across as less 'engineered', if that makes sense. Some of my favorites are Daniel Bouju, Francois Voyer, Martell, Braastad, and Chateau de Montifaud. If you can find Martell Cordon Bleu or Daniel Bouju XO Empereur, they're both stellar 'masculinely flavored' cognacs at a pretty solid price for how good they are. Voyer's Napoleon is a good one as well.

Armagnac is probably my favorite liquor of all and there's not much I've tried that i didn't like, but i would definitely give Chateau Laubade a mention for having readily available cask strength bottlings.

Calvados is pretty different and I don't honestly have a lot of experience with it. If I'm buying calvados i usually go to the liquor store i visit most often and just ask for a recommendation.
>>
>>7985872
Isn't that worth 70 USD?
>>
>>7994978
Holy crap no, where I intended to buy it it was €37, which should be 42 bucks or something among those lines
>>
File: oie_17319441b9xUBY7.jpg (2MB, 2104x3741px) Image search: [Google]
oie_17319441b9xUBY7.jpg
2MB, 2104x3741px
Sometimes you just gotta
>>
File: the-absolut-best-vodka.jpg (836KB, 1370x689px) Image search: [Google]
the-absolut-best-vodka.jpg
836KB, 1370x689px
>>7985872
>Anything goes, as long as it's high quality.

What makes something high quality?
Tastes test have shown that normies (not sommeliers) are unreliable at telling the difference between brands.

Also vodka is the best alcoholic drink because it's the easiest to mix with Pepsi and not end up with something yucky.
>>
>>7995105
I've never tried absolut, but quite in general I despise large brand vodkas cause they don't give a shit about the flavor, they just want to get people drunk.

I still think you're bait.
>>
>>7991995
What? EC is 20$ vs. 50$ for bookers. Where are you that Elijah Craig is more expensive? I don't believe that
>>
>>7995120
>I still think you're bait.

>4chan engenders this level of paranoia
>how do I really know he feels that way, it could be a trick
Seek help.
>>
>>7985872
How encompassing should a liquor collection be?
>6 main distilled spirits (brandy, gin, rum, tequila, vodka, whisky)
>6 regions of scotch whisky (lowland, highland, speyside, islay, island, campbeltown)
>5 main countries that produce whisky (scotch, american, irish, japanese, canadian)
>5 brandy types (cognac, armagnac, calvados, coñac, slivovitz)
>3 eastern asian spirits (shochu, baijiu, soju)
The more I look at it, the scarier it seems to even try and start a liquor collection. It seems like stamp collecting, but more expensive. We haven't even gone down the subtypes of the ones I mentioned up top, like regional types of rum or gin or vodka.
>>
>>7985872
I'm thinking whether I should get that or Highland Park 12.
>>
>>7995007
Why is scotch so cheap in the EU?
>>
>>7995414
Just start with what you like and work from there.

Also i should mention that many of those types of spirits that you mentioned have quite distinct regional differences or subcategories- for instance, Cuban rum is quite different than Guyanan Demerara rum or agricole rhum from Martinique.

Be thankful you're not getting into wine collecting though- way, way more regions and varieties, often more expensive, and barring fortified wine and a few oxidized styles like vin jaune, they don't last once opened.
>>
What are some good whiskeys in the $30 range?
>>
>>7995162
I was gonna ask the same thing.

Either he's full of shit or his liquor store fucked up
>>
Old Forester is an underrated and well priced gem.
>>
>>7991995
>El Dorado 21 rum
Patrician tier taste
>>
>>7995439
Look at Scotland's location relative to Europe

Now look at Scotland's location relative to America

Then realize that Scotland is (currently) still of the EU

There's your answer
>>
I've got some of this right now. I'm still forming an opinion on it.

$49 isn't too hefty a price either.
>>
>>7995512
Their Birthday Bourbon is always really solid.

>>7995528
Have you ever tried their 25 year old? It's fucking hard as balls to find but it's easily the best rum I've ever tried.
>>
>>7995614
Different anon here, what would you recommend between

>Pyrat XO
>Zaya 12
>Cruzan something
>>
>>7995414
>>5 brandy types (cognac, armagnac, calvados, coñac, slivovitz)
Missed 2: Pisco and Grappa.
>>
>>7995543
Solid scotch for a very reasonable price.
>>
>>7995543
I had no idea they had a 14, what's it like?

I think 12 is a good whiskey but it has too much of an icing/vanilla taste for me personally
>>
>>7995661
Pyrat really didn't do too much for me. It has an odd after taste in my opinion.

I really enjoy Appleton rum.
>>
>>7995673
I'm beginning to agree

>>7995674
The 14 (Bourbon Barrel) is US only, it's aged in American ex-bourbon casks and finished with a charred oak cask. It has a strong spicy oak flavor with a bit of caramel (maybe a tad of vanilla?) at the end. It has a pleasant long burn.

I like it. Fairly smooth sipper.
>>
>>7995678
How is Appleton Estate's signature blend?
>>
>>7995661
Zaya. I found Pyrat XO to be kind of underwhelming.

Definitely worth cracking the Zaya and then letting it sit for a while- a few weeks to a month even- or decanting it and letting it sit for a week or two. Especially true of the Trinidad one. It's excellent rum but it really badly needs a bit of oxygen exposure to open it up- it's really heavy on the vanilla aroma at first but as it sits with some air in the bottle it gets better and better, and more flavors become apparent- things like caramelized bananas and gingerbread.

If you really want to drink it right away, I'd say go for Cruzan single barrel.
>>
>>7995084
I enjoy Maker's 46, but not plain Maker's Mark.
>>
>>7995698
I discovered tried Appleton on vacation in Jamaica. I had seen it around, but never tried it. Their signature blend is very good. One of the few rums I would never mix.
>>
Got a chance to try a Dalmore 15yo.
I never get the chance to try nice whiskey and I really enjoyed this one.
Should I look into the Macallan 12yo Sherry next or look into a Dalmore 18yo?
>>
>>7995701
>oxygen exposure to open it up
Is this something that's recommended for all spirits? Or just really old stuff at 20+ years?
>>
File: weeabooze.png (285KB, 445x457px) Image search: [Google]
weeabooze.png
285KB, 445x457px
Weeabooze
>>
>>7996398
Alas, I could not find a bottle of Hibiki 12 that isn't worth over 3.5 times of what it was worth back when it first showed up around the world.
>>
>>7996414
If the price is that high for the 12, just get a 17 for probably half the price. Unless you really want the 12 for your collection.
>>
>>7988710

Bowmore 12 is like, 60 bucks Canadian I think.
>>
>>7996398
That actually looks beautiful as a set if you think about it.
>>
>>7996418
Why the fuck did Suntory management fuck up their Hibiki line by removing the 12 expression? The 12 was already way overpriced compared to its original cost, now it's horribly overpriced since they replaced it with Harmony.
>>
Quality rum coming through

Also, Ron Barceló
>>
>>7992926
Armagnac is also aged in new oak for a period which adds dramatically to the final taste profile IMO
>>
>>7992027
The XO is a minimum of 10 years and as great a value brandy as there is available anywhere
>>
>>7995414
Fact is, I don't think you should look at it as a collection. You can only afford actually collecting bottles if you are quite rich, especially if you go full on and start looking for collectors editions and rare releases.

Rather, look at it as just the pleasure of drinking something you like. If you taste a whisky that you can afford , or you are curious about what it would taste like after reading up some material about it, buy a bottle and keep it there, drinking a little bit at a time. If you truly enjoy drinking spirits and do this continuously, a small collection will start building up by itself
>>
>>7985872
I drink Wild Turkey because the guys on the Sopranos do. It tastes the same to me as other whiskey
>>
>>7995505
Yup. The cheapest I've ever gotten bookers at was 35$ and the highest I've seen Elijah Craig at was 25$
>>
>>7996398

In fairness, I was given a bottle of Hibiki 12 as a gift a few years ago and it is very nice. Still got a small amount left but I think it has gone up in price a lot since then.
>>
>>7997160

Just to follow up to this, I went and checked how much it is now after I posted that

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suntory-Hibiki-Year-Blended-Whisky/dp/B0046XWPWI

£150!! Fuck me, it was good but it wasn't THAT good. I am reasonably sure it was sub £40 when I got it, 70cl in that bottle.
>>
I want to try a rye. What's a good reasonable priced rye (with high percentage of rye) available in the UK?
>>
File: image.jpg (149KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149KB, 540x720px
As a craft beer guy, I'm just now starting to explore whiskey. Price always made it inaccessible. So far, pictured is my favorite. Smooth, yet delicious.

Any other recommendations?
>>
>>7996398
Yamazaki was a good go to when it was under 50$
>>
>>7997170

Pretty sure Bulleit bourbon has quite a bit of rye in it, it is £22 in Tesco at the moment so can't really go wrong
>>
>>7997249
Yea it's now stupid expensive
>>
>>7997170
Do you guys get High West products? If so, Rendezvous Rye is outstanding. Like anon said Bulleit makes great rye too.
>>
File: 1304614614886.jpg (48KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1304614614886.jpg
48KB, 640x480px
>>7997176
>As a craft beer guy
>>
>>7985872
Talisker is a good choice OP, and one of my preferred single malts. Glenlivet 18 is probably my favorite, though, from back when I had money.

Being a dirty poor American, my weekly booze is 1.75L handles of Evan Williams green label (meaning aged only 4 years, the minimum for a bourbon). But! It is a Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, not a grain alcohol blend.

Prices for 'okay' bourbons have skyrocketed.
>>
>>7997369
That's because bourbon is the hot new drink.

Evan Williams ain't bad for bottom shelf stuff.
>>
>>7997291
>>7997310
Thanks for the recommendations.
>>
>>7997736
Np man. Once you find a good rye you'll get hooked.
>>
>>7997736

Actually if you want to try a rye, you shouldn't go for a bourbon. Bourbon must be made of at least 51% corn, whereas ryes require at least 51% of rye to be named that (obviously enough).
I'm no expert in that field, but I certainly wouldn't try a bourbon to know what rye tastes like.
>>
>>7998183
Bulleit has a rye and a bourbon. Same with high west
>>
anything similar to taliskar 10 but a little less expensive?
>>
>>7998241
Oh alright then, just thought I should specify since (you?) wrote bourbon
>>
>>7988369
fuck yeah! i love that stuff.
>>
File: why am I so mad about this shit.jpg (91KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
why am I so mad about this shit.jpg
91KB, 1000x666px
>>7986137
My nigga. This was my shit when I lived in Cincinnati for school. I always went across the river to bourbon land and tried all sorts of great single cask stuff, but this can't be beat for general purpose bourbon. Criminally underrated, yet I hope it never gets the attention it deserves because then it'll go for more than 30 a bottle.

Controversial opinion and general whining incoming, but being a born Kentuckian, calling anything bourbon when it's not from Kentucky is wrong. It's whiskey, and that's fine. Shit, even Tennessee knows this and respects it. Gets on my nerves now that I'm in NYC and I see this hipster Brooklyn-style bourbon shit being pushed by flannel-clad guys in liquor stores. Why can't Kentucky bourbon be like cognac or champagne or even fucking Vidalia onions? California makes some excellent brandy that's almost exactly like cognac/armagnac but you bet your ass they don't call it that.
>>
>>7986137
i've had this. it's good.
>>
>>7988369
That was my first real drink as a highschool graduation present from my dad. I still have the bottle.
>>
>>7998956
If you can get your hands on a bottle of Highland Park 18 then do it, especially if you liked the 12.
>>
File: cgmob.12yo.jpg (110KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
cgmob.12yo.jpg
110KB, 540x720px
>>7988369
Try Cragganmore, my dude.
>>
>>7991995
I'm checking out the various bottles of Delord, and most of them are in year vintages. How does that work? Are all Delord bottlings 25 year bottles?
>>7996398
Aside from the price, they're pretty good. I think one person said that they're like Speyside plus Lowland in style. Yamazaki > Hibiki too.
>>
>>7998970
Will do, I loved the 12. I heard the 15 fell short though for some reason.
>>
Was going to buy some "older" rums, but I recently heard that they're the opposite of whisky. The age statement says the oldest scotch in the mix, rather than the youngest. So I guess age statements really don't matter for rums?
>>
>>7999013
You might have attached the 12 to the memory of it being a special occasion, so nothing might ever live up to it. But yeah, the 18 is fucking great and wayyy better than stuff like Johnny Blue for the price.
>>
So are single malts really much better than blends or is that just a marketing stunt?
>>
>>7999065
It's all up to your tastes. If you like blends more, then hey! You get to spend less money on something that you enjoy equally as well. That being said, single malts are actually "blended" but all from the same distillery, where as your typical marketed "blend" comes from all over the place and can contain different malts grain whiskys.

So generally speaking, when you pay for single malt, your'e paying for the specific distillery and their own individual expertise in making a tasty malt.
>>
>>7996398
I really badly want to call Japanese whisky a meme and has gotten inflated prices because of that, but I'm afraid I might have sour grapes because I haven't actually tried any.
>>
>>7987983
It's fantastic, but if you buy it then I hope you like oak. Because that's basically all you will taste in Knob Creek. It's a hard-hitting slam to the mouth with a fresh plank from a sawmill.
>>
>>7999094
recommended single malts? Pretty much always gone with JW and havent given a shit about it being blended
>>
>>7985872
Christopher Hitchens, when asked about the best whiskey, replied "Johnny Walker Black Label. Breakfast of champions, accept no substitutes."

Do you agree? What is the greatest whiskey?
>>
>>7999472
Dude lived to be 62
>>
>>7999535
Clearly, he loved his whiskey.
>>
>>7999445
I like Jura and Cragganmore, but I don't like peaty smoky scotch like a lot of scotch drinkers seem to.
>>
>>7998267

That was me, I know it isn't a true rye but I mentioned it because we don't get a big selection of American whiskey in the UK and Bulleit is available cheaply in a large supermarket chain.

For a true rye, you either have to go to a specialist whisky shop and pay through the nose or buy online.

I am enjoying Bulleit a lot, so will probably go down the online route fairly soon!
>>
>>7999472

It is a decent enough reliable choice, but seems to be creeping up in price recently rendering it pointless as in the UK at least you can get much better for what they charge for black label now. No way is it worth £28
>>
>>7999105
It's good. Not worth the price now, but if youre ever at a bar with the stuff I'd say try a glass.
>>
Can anyone here suggest a good book about distillation? I don't mean a tutorial about home distilling, rather a book about the "theory" behind distillation that comprehensively explains the process and everything related to it
>>
>>8002429
>"theory" behind distillation that comprehensively explains the process and everything related to it

You don't need a book to explain that, anon. It's really basic shit. Any chemistry schoolbook should have a section that discusses it. It wouldn't even fill a chapter let alone a whole book. Heck, just read the wiki article on distillation.
>>
>>8002446
I know the basics of it, but what I want is a book that really covers it all, or almost. I'm talking still shapes, yeast types, right temperatures, what alcohols stay and what alcohols go, anything. I don't want to know how distillation works, I want to be an ******expert****** about it (in as much as book can make anyone an expert about anything, that is).
Maybe a book that covers the whole process of production of a liqueur might be more common? But it has to go really in depth.
>>
>>8002472
>Maybe a book that covers the whole process of production of a liqueur might be more common?

Yeah, that sounds more like what you are asking for. Things like yeast types have nothing to do with the distillation only.

Distillation itself is really simple physics: different substances boil at different temperatures, so you can use those different boiling points to separate liquids from each other. That's pretty much it. Everything else derives from that one simple fact.

If you want to know why different types of stills or different firing temperatures are used for different liquors then that's a question about those specific beverages themselves, not a question about "distillation" in general.
>>
File: Talisker-Distillers-Edition.jpg (255KB, 1119x1952px) Image search: [Google]
Talisker-Distillers-Edition.jpg
255KB, 1119x1952px
Just bought this today, /seekay/.

What am I in for? Did I get meme'd?

Had Talisker 10 several years ago, and it was the best of the 4-5 so good Scotches I've ever had, so I went for the same distiller.
>>
>>8002484
Meh, I'd say you've been memed, but luckily for you with this kind of things you can avoid getting memed if you and up actually liking the stuff. Unless you paid an absurd price for it, that is.
How much was it? I see there is something of an age statement, and the fact that it is bottled at 45.8% is definitely appealing, so those are two ups right there. Is it chill-filtered?
>>
>>7988619
Shit, think this will be my next expensive purchase. I was considering getting good cognac, but Grand Marnier is so good, might as well try the super dank version.
>>
>>8002484
No personal experience, but scotches that give themselves catchy names tend not to be honest about themselves. Just lool at the Jura line. All those fancy names and most reviews trash it.
>>
>>7990825
I would just look at the abv on the bottle. As far as I know if it's at or above 80 proof it should be fine for years, but after 5 years or so I always give my old bottles a sniff and an inspection in a clean shot glass every time I get it out.
>>
>>8002548
It is 80 proof.

I get a bottle of the 100 every once in a while. Because it's so expensive I save it for special occasions. I've had a bottle sit around for almost 3 years and never noticed it go bad.
>>
>>7991995
Yeah, I was just introduced to good brandy this year, and it's every bit as good as good single-malt Scotch is, whereas good bourbons and good rums are on a lower level, though still delicious.
>>
is evan williams a decent bourbon
I've tried that and bulleit, which was a little nicer
>>
File: zaya-rum.jpg (26KB, 268x923px) Image search: [Google]
zaya-rum.jpg
26KB, 268x923px
>>7996456
If any spirit deserves to be dismissed as meme in this thread, it's this one.

Horrible, sickly sweet taste. I realize it's rum but there are MUCH better options like pic related.

Has Zaya for the first time at a small dive bar where I just let the bartender create all sorts of weird cocktails for me. He gave me a double of Zaya, neat, at the beginning and I was hooked.
>>
>>8002587
I've never had a bourbon that deserved anything more than being mixed into fruit or cola; that corn content overrides everything and just makes it so sweet.
>>
Any good American brandies less than 40$? I know it's German, but is Asbach Uralt considered a good brandy?
>>
>>7987983
I am a huge buffalo trace fan, and I recently bought a bottle of Eagle Rare. It's definitely more expensive at 33 here, but I love it as much as buffalo trace.
>>
>>7998806
Oh man it would be awesome to tour some distilleries in Kentucky or Scotland and try stuff right at the source. Did that in Napa Valley and there was pretty good wine.
>>
>>8002516
It was $82 (only about $17 more than Talisker 10, which I love). Only had a bit so far but it's very good. The salt and pepper flavors of Talisker are just lovely.

So Glenlivet 18 has a great reputation huh? Maybe I'll try that next time for good Scotch.
>>
>>8003108
Holy shit is Talisker expensive in you country. But in that case those 17 bucks are probably worth it. Congrats anon, you dodged the meme.
>>
>>8003116
>mfw living in BC
>mfw a bottle of Talisker 10 is 94 bucks before tax
>>
I have heard that Zaya has lost quality ever since it moved from Guatemala to Trinidad. Is that true? If true, is there a rum better as a top shelf sipper to replace it? Like maybe Flor de Cana?
>>
>>8002624
This. Bourbon is a pleb tier drink.
>>
>>8002624
I'm not a huge bourbon fan but honestly I don't get that corn sweetness at all from Woodford, it's pricey for a bourbon but you get what you pay for
>>
>>8003625
Talisker 10 in Ontario is fucking $99.
Fuck LCBO.
>>
File: dufftown 12.jpg (93KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
dufftown 12.jpg
93KB, 540x720px
Anyone ever try one the Dufftown 12?
I'm thinking of trying it since its on sale near me and I was wondering if anyone here has gotten a swig of it.
>>
>>8003929
> $100 for fucking Talisker
>mfw in bongistan i can buy that for the equivalent of $40
>>
File: download.jpg (4KB, 94x206px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4KB, 94x206px
Just bought this baby for 26 dollarinos. It's only rye whiskey available in my country (im from EU), so im hopping its a pretty decent one?
>>
could someone rec me a nice gin?
i want something swanky for dry martinis
>>
>>8005297
For a dry martini, you honestly want something w/ a more basic flavor profile, and most higher-price gins tend to get a bit too crazy w/ additional aromatics for my liking. That said, I hear good things about Boodles, and Martin Miller's is apparently not too shabby.
>>
>>8005227
Ok, im the same guy with one question. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ME? I mean I have drunk a good amount of whiskey. Arbelour, Bulleit, Bushmills, Wild Turkey and etc. And every single time i drink them, i can't feel a shit. No fruity notes, no vanila flavour, nothing, only a taste of old wood juice (well, you get the idea). I tried pouring a little of water, but it did not help much. How the fuck do you feel the flavour guys? Do you really have to be old as fuck to get something out of whiskey?
P.S Srry for this random post, but this is mainly whiskey thread, so I've decided to post there
>>
>>8005649
Breathe through your nose while sipping. Let the whiskey sit in your mouth for a bit before drinking. Keep breathing through nose.
>>
>>8005443
thanks, i'll try boodles. good enough for churchill is good enough for me.
>>
Opinions on BenRiach?
>>
>>8005649
What you are talking about really does come with experience anon. I have tasted my fair share of whiskys myself, but getting distinct flavours out of them still is extremely tough, I can barely notice the more prominent ones.
Don't expect it to happen overnight. More than anything don't be discouraged: even if you can't taste much, keep trying to think about possible association every time you drink.
Also keep it as varied as you can. If you only drink one kind of whisky you'll end up being too familiar with its taste and you won't notice shit.
Finally, don't forget to have a dram without thinking about it every now and again. That "don't try too hard" thing is still valid for whisky.
>>
>>8005796
So if it (the ability to sence flavours) comes with experience, aka, amount of whiskey drunk, it's no use for me to buy quality stuff? I can just buy mid-tier bottles and drink them until i start noticing some flavour?
>>
>>8005663
Im breathing through the nose, Im also holding and moving liquid all around in my mouth (My english is not that good, I dont know how to tell it, hope you understand, lmao)
>>
File: 1471641336826878430001.jpg (930KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
1471641336826878430001.jpg
930KB, 1520x2688px
Drinking this today
>>
>>8005869
You should just hold it in your mouth. Don't swish the stuff. I sort of breathe out after swallowing too, that helps get the taste to come out. Make gay jokes if you want.
>>
>>8005859
As a matter of fact, experience is not exactly the same as "amount" of whisky drunk. It has more to do with variety. If you just buy 20 bottles of JW Red Label and get wasted on them, you will not gain any experience. Goes without saying.
On the other hand, it is absolutely true that starting off with $100 bottles make no sense. It is simply a waste. Your palate is not mature enough yet to appreciate them.
Starting with mid-tier bottles is actually a good idea.
Also, keep in mind that "quality stuff" in no way implies "ridiculously priced patrician-tier stuff".
>>
>>8005874
>Dostoevsky

get gud and get Shakespeare, cuck. Oh, well done.
>>
File: unnamed (1).jpg (54KB, 683x911px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed (1).jpg
54KB, 683x911px
rye or gtfo
>>
File: IMG_0108.jpg (348KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0108.jpg
348KB, 1224x1632px
also this shit is tasty as fuck
>>
File: IMG_0329.jpg (753KB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0329.jpg
753KB, 2016x1512px
also kentucky or gtfo
>>
>>8006131
>implying I don't have both
>>
>>7985872
Is Bacardi 8 Year a high quality rum?
>>
>>8007470
Never had it, you tell us.
I'd be biased for a no since Bacardi is such a huge commercial brand mainly aimed at mixing, but I always like to be surprised.
>>
I know it's disgusting but I still drink Canada House and Coke.

Reminds me of college. Super comfy.
>>
>>7995105
>What makes something high quality?
in good practice, a liquor is high quality if a lot of people consider it so
>>7995439
as mentioned, it's in the EU
also taxes on alcohol in most of the EU are lower than in the US
>>7996398
>weabooze
gonna be using that from now on
right answer tho, yamazaki NAS is the best whisky I've tried
>>7985872
>least favorite
Oban little bay
I tho have tried 4 or 5 supposedly good whiskies in my life
I'm looking for a bar that can get me a glass of talisker, I've been quite curious about that but I'm a poor student so I wouldn't wanna get a whole bottle
>>
Is Nikka all malt a good japan whiskey?
>>
>>7988619
How do you cope with the sweetness of that thing? I tried a sip of the standard version and my tongue shrank the size of an ant. Seriously, is it ideal to accompany it with food or liquids of some sort to taste more refined notes? Or do you just have to like sweet stuff?
>>
>>7997291
bulleit makes a rye whiskey
>>
>>8006631
Man, do I hate that stuff. Knob Creek makes some good whiskeys, but that smells like straight up antifreeze to me.
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 582x1000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 582x1000px
Bought this as a first whisky a few weeks ago.
>>
>>8005227
I fucking love Bulleit rye, it's one of the better ones for the money imo
>>
>>8009312
I've heard that the Glendronach brand has yearly, even monthly differences to its taste. Do you know what year yours is?
>>
>>8007470
It apparently sucks being mixed, but is a surprisingly good sipper. Unlike other rums, the age statement actually means the youngest batch in the Bacardi 8.
>>
Tres Agave Blanco
Bulleit (had the regular, trying the rye)
Barenjaegar
Beefeater
>>
>>8003021

Arkansas Black had a pretty good showing, but that's an american calvados.
>>
Is there such a thing as high quality gin that isn't like liqueured the fuck up with botanicals?
>>
File: BBN330-2.jpg (145KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
BBN330-2.jpg
145KB, 600x900px
Thought I'd give this a shot, and I have to say. I'm really fucking digging this. I usually just get Johnnie Walker black, but I'm liking this a lot more.
>>
>>8010837
How good is it? I'm thinking of getting a bottle before prices rise like it did for its predecessors.
>>
>>8010745
Once you climb up in price, you get botanicalled-up gins, right?
>>
>>8010854
I enjoy the shit out of it, if the prices don't rise, this will be my goto whiskey.
>>
>>8010745
Assuming you mean no "weird" flavor profiles, Plymouth or Junipero.
>>
>>8010837
Isn't that like 10 bucks more expensive than JWB?
>>
>>8010837
Where I'm at, that's the same price as a Balvenie Double Wood 12yr. Is the Toki Whisky a competitor?
>>
>>8010934
5 for me
>>8010945
I've never had Balvenie l, so I can't compare the two.
>>
>>8010166
I believe mine was bottled in 2013
>>
>>8010745

Beefeater is pretty medicinal and pleasant, without too many roaring flavors.
>>
>>7987515
I have to admit that sounds utterly foul. But I've got a bottle, so I may try that soon.
>>
>>8003952
they are sold as NAS here, their bottle is intriguing and gives the appearence of being a litre
>>
>>8012791
Im more wondering because Horst Luening said it was a decent newer Speyside for the age https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AKIntoPnAI
>>
>>7987555
i buy $6 vodka dude. can i run it through a coffee filter? lol
>>
I probably would've been better off asking this here >>8013143

Any help?
>>
File: IMG_9343.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9343.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
This, straight up, no bullshit.
>>
Just bought hunters rye whiskey.

What am I in for?

It was cheap 17 for 1.75l

Gonna make old fashioneds and might just sip on it if it is decent (highly unlikely)
>>
>>7997369
At least buy the black label. Even my immature palate can notice a stark difference. At least have a no plastic bottle policy
>>
>>8014112
I really don't like that stuff. Too much apple taste to be a good whiskey, but not enough to be a good flavored whiskey.
>>
>>7985872
Never had sherry whisky before. Just exactly what is sherry supposed to taste like?
>>
>>7985872
What makes a spirit high quality? The price?
>>
>>7987367
Calvados seems like a nice type of brandy to get into. Any good recommendations?
>>
Best bang for buck cream liquer?
>>
>>8017924

Taste. Not tasting like gasoline is usually an important quality. You would be suprised how good even a blanco tequila can be if its made well.
>>
>>8019467
Carolans is pretty good, cheaper then Baileys and much better.
>>
>>8019551

Thanks anon. I already understood I would have been paying a marketing premium for Baileys.
>>
>>8019608
Its honestly sad how often I see people pay stupid prices for shit. Like fuck a bottle of Hennessy is like 63 dollars in Canada while you can get a bottle of Martell or Mewukow, which are far better distillers, for 57-58 dollars. Fuck even if the Hennessy is gone they go for fucing Courvoisier next!
Niggers and women are whats ruining the liquor industry, I tell ya.
>>
>>8019854

I mean, I am not opposed to getting Bailey's if its the best. I just had my doubts, and since my states liqour trade is monopolized it can be hard to find certain things easily. Guess since we're on the topic of over-marketed garbage.

Kahlua, or?
>>
File: brbon_ben1[1].jpg (68KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
brbon_ben1[1].jpg
68KB, 540x720px
I'll get laughed at, but I really enjoy McAfee's Benchmark No. 8. It's bottom shelf, but it goes down smooth and has a nice finish.
>>
>>8019854
This is the most depressing thing I've ever read.
You can get a half gallon of 40% alcohol anywhere in america for $13 us.

I understand the exchange rate, but dude. Sixty fucking dollars? Even for Irish creme?
Wow. Get a bottle of international delight coffee creamer and drink it straight if you like the flavor that much.
>>
>>8019920

He was talking about Hennesy being 60$ anon
You're drunk, go lay down.
Baileys run's about 30$ for a fifth.
>>
>>8019909

Sometimes bottom shelf can be decent anon.
They might not be big enough to afford sending it out to competitions, etc so it might just be not well known

But I can tell you, with a name like "Benchmark" its pretentious as fuck.
>>
>>8019967
I didn't know you could be pretentious selling it for $16 for a 1.75L
>>
>>8019920
>Sixty fucking dollars? Even for Irish creme?
Go home anon your drunk.
As the other guy said Baileys is 30 maplebucks while Carolans is like 26.
>>
>>8020045

RIP canuck's

Carolan's is 13$ for a fifth here.
>>
File: pen.jpg (61KB, 800x1204px) Image search: [Google]
pen.jpg
61KB, 800x1204px
anyone tried this?

if so how was it?
>>
File: DSC_1452.jpg (144KB, 750x498px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1452.jpg
144KB, 750x498px
I've heard good things about the Aldi whiskys. While not the best, they're apparently incredibly good for their price point. Anyone tried them?
>>
File: EH-Taylor-Single-Barrel-Bourbon.jpg (152KB, 525x872px) Image search: [Google]
EH-Taylor-Single-Barrel-Bourbon.jpg
152KB, 525x872px
Best shit for Old Fashioneds.
>>
File: TJ'sScotch.jpg (590KB, 1296x968px) Image search: [Google]
TJ'sScotch.jpg
590KB, 1296x968px
>>8020224
While I've not had the stuff from Aldi, Trader Joe's makes some surprisingly good single malt scotch for a great price every holiday. I can only get it when I visit my parents in Vegas, though, as TJ only sells liquor in certain states.
>>
File: received_10209840406507883.jpg (170KB, 1196x2048px) Image search: [Google]
received_10209840406507883.jpg
170KB, 1196x2048px
Picked this nip booze up in doody free the other day, anyone had it before? Worth drinking or resell
>>
>>8019854
> that feel when I once saw a bottle of Jack Daniel's being sold for 30 eurobucks
>>
Is oban good?
I feel it's sweeter than islays like ardberg and laphroaig
>>
>>8010837
I think I've had this served on vanilla icecream once
Was gud
>>
>>7989880
>>>/lgbt/

Really though, people who get shitfaced on whiskey either have too much money or buy shit whiskey
>>
File: 1471476487859.jpg (40KB, 640x626px) Image search: [Google]
1471476487859.jpg
40KB, 640x626px
>>7995105
S T O L I
>>
File: eh.png (557KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
eh.png
557KB, 1000x1000px
What kind of spirits store well for years? if possible not in strict storage.

I want to get a nice quality limited run bottle of something that i can hold on to for 10-15+ years before i drink it.

Id like it to be something that can withstand interior lighting and taste the same because if im going to hold onto a bottle of something for over a decade i want to be able to look at it daily.
>>
>>8021517
Best Japanese Whiskey I've had to be quite honest, family.
>>
>>8021938
Interior lighting affects distilled spirits?
>>
File: dalmore 15.jpg (149KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
dalmore 15.jpg
149KB, 540x720px
So I wanna get into Speyside scotch and eventually Islay or more obscure types and I was wondering where I should go from where I am now.
Ive tried Dalmore 15yo and Glenmorganie Lasanta and enjoyed the Dalmore a bit more despite the overdone caramel coloring.
>>
>>8021517

Bro, that is some of the best whisky I've had in a long time, and I drink bourbon pretty regularly.

Give it a shot, tell us what you think
>>
>>8021892
Just got me some oban 14.
I love that shit. It is lighter then Islay whiskies in that it has no peatiness, but it is by no means "sweet". You have these strong earthy notes that come through and the finish is honestly impressive, considering that 14 years is not that much, even more so when a whisky isn't peaty.
>>
>>8020224
Well, I went out and picked up one of their cheap single malts; a 12 year old Speyside.

It's very nice, quite tart, a little sweet for my liking, but a perfectly drinkable whisky and for the price, £18 certainly a decent bottle. I've had far more expensive whiskys that tasted worse.
>>
>>8003929
that sucks. It's $55-65 at stores around Boston.
>>
>>8005649
Nuance is only going to be present in high-quality stuff, whereas the stuff you named is mostly midshelf.

The first sip or two shouldn't jump out at you too much either. Bought a nice single malt a couple weeks ago. had just one sip the first night and though "Eh, this doesn't blow me away like the price tag suggests it should." had drink's worth the next night, and enjoyed it more. Then a few days later, I had 2-3 drinks of it, and realized it was fucking luxuriously good.

Let it sit in your mouth while you breathe through your nose, and chew on it a bit. This should give you some different flavors from the start of the sip to the finish when you swallow.

Again, don't worry about finding nuanced flavors in $25 whiskeys, although they can be there too. This is mostly something reserved for $50-60+ stuff.
>>
>>8010837
for 20 dollars more I can get a bottle of nikka pure malt which is much better. this stuff was cheap (for jap whiskey), but it lacked complexity. Since the intention of the company was for people to mix it, i guess i can't complain. if anyone is on the fence about it just try it at least once.
>>
>>8021517
how much did you pay? and what area?
>>
Whisky tastes like burnt ass and people only like it because they watched Mad Men or whatever
>>
>>8024157
find a new board
>>
>>8021517
Which other types of Hibiki were there that you saw?
>>
>>7985872
If you ever have occasion OP, try Bowmore. I only got to try the 18 year.

It's outside my price range but you can get a glass at some nicer places for not too dear.
>>
Ive been trying out various whiskey recently and considered buying a bottle, does anyone have any good suggestion on what whiskey i should buy and which to avoid to prevent getting memed?
>>
>>8025027
I don't even know what the hell you mean. The fact you said whiskey means you should be fucked over.
>>
>>8025038
That's a proper spelling of the drink you idiot
>>
>>8002624
>>8003889
Horrible taste you have
>>
>>8010187
Bombay sapphire over beefeater any day
>>
>>8025082
Nah.

Nah it ain't.
>>
>>8025238

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/whisky
>>
>>8025038
getting triggered over a typo lol
>>
>>8025038
sry for my bad English, it aint my first language :(
>>
>>8021938
>i want to be able to look at it daily
Forget it, I keep my unopeneds in a cabinet.
>>
>>8024153
120NZD, in AKL on the way back to Aus.
>>
>>8024876
Just that and the standard bottling I'm pretty sure, the 10 or the 12.
>>
>>8021938
>What kind of spirits store well for years? if possible not in strict storage.
Most good spirits will stay well in an unopened bottle for many years, provided they're kept in cool, dry environs that don't shift their temperature to any serious degree. The high alcohol content acts as a natural preservative preventing nasty things from mixing with the spirit.

>Id like it to be something that can withstand interior lighting and taste the same because if im going to hold onto a bottle of something for over a decade i want to be able to look at it daily.
Keep your spirits in their opaque bottles/cylinders/tins/whatevers for storage. The packaging most of the time will look just as good and will protect them from whatever lighting is there - if you're keeping your spirits long term, like 10-15+ years, any light will do some damage over that amount of time. Results vary though. If you want to look at your spirits daily, you can just take them out of that packaging, jerk off to your heart's content, and put the bottle right back in the box.

If you do decide to open a bottle to sneak a little taste, then that's where things get hairy. At that point it's a ticking clock, and you'd better start drinking it. Spirits like whisky certainly don't have it as bad as wine, which can go bad lightning fast, but oxidation changes do happen once the bottle's open. Your good bottle of cask strength single malt will still be just as strong as the day you bought it, but after a few years of being opened and stored even according to the guidelines I posted above, it'll taste like a handle of Kentucky Gentleman. The more empty the bottle is, the faster the process, so when you've had 2/3 of the bottle, grab some friends and finish it quick.

The process can be slowed with a good preservative spray like Private Preserve. They've got inert gases that are heavier than normal air which, when you spray the inside of the bottle before re-corking, settle to provide a protective layer.
>>
Mainly drink tequila, my daily drinker is just jose cuervo tradicional, thinking about try an anejo though. just not sure which one, was thinking maybe 1800.
Drink it straight, with solo, or in margaritas.
Plan on trying some sloe gin soon as well.
I'm an ausfag so trying different alcohol is expensive
Thread posts: 284
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.