[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Discuss.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 144
Thread images: 7

Discuss.
>>
>>7917275
agreed
>>
Honestly I only eat blue rare family.
>>
He's completely in the right.

Medium-rare is the most commonly eaten and socially acceptable level of doneness, and coming to someone's house and asking them to cook you something different than everyone else because you think you're a special snowflake is rude and poor etiquette.
>>
>>7917294
>it is acceptable for a host to force their will on guests
Pardon me while I fuck and stone your wife because she isn't covered in a traditional burqa.
>>
>>7917296
>Expecting somebody to cook the same dish five different ways to please you
Fuck off.
>>
>>7917294
Depends of course if the host asks how people want their meats. If that is the case I see no problem wanting a well-done.
>>
>>7917299
>being a manchild that gets upset because someone wants their steak on a grill longer
You're pathetic.
>>
>>7917294

>coming to someone's house and asking them to cook you something different than everyone else because you think you're a special snowflake is rude and poor etiquette.

no it isn't, you made that up. INCONVENIENCING them would be, but you don't do that when you ask for them to worry a little less about overcooking it.
>>
>>7917302
>WAAAHHHH! I WANT IT BURNT!!!! THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!!!!! WAAAAAHHH
>You're unwilling to waste your time fulfilling my wishes? You're a manchild!
>>
>>7917296

What does that have anything to do with food? If you go to someone's house and they cook for you, you should be gracious, not treat it like a free restaurant and expect them to cater to your tastes.
>>
>>7917311
Not that guy but you clearly don't have actual friends or people that you invite over.
>>
>>7917311

there's nothing ungracious about expressing a preference that is widely permitted in dinner party etiquette. you're trying to make up another rule because you look down on the people who violate it - which is the action of an ungracious host.
>>
>>7917318
>dinner party

This isn't a dinner party you effeminate fruit, it's a barbecue. And you're getting what you're given.

We don't have any 1967 Chateau le Neuf either. We have beer.
>>
File: 1469492401404.jpg (230KB, 1350x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1469492401404.jpg
230KB, 1350x1350px
>>7917326
Babby's first troll attempt is going well.
>>
>>7917326

Agreed. And if I mixed up a big bowl of salad that included tomatoes and onions and some picky eater manchild said he thought those were icky, I wouldn't make a special salad for him either, just because he's a big man baby and won't eat an entirely common food.
>>
>>7917326

ok dad. have fun raising violent, anti-intellectual kids.
>>
>>7917351
I'm American and I take offense to your bigotry and ethnic profiling.
>>
>>7917351
Still better than being an Euro-cuck and needing to import the real men from middle east to fertilize our women.
>>
>>7917296
>>>/pol/
>>
>>7917296
>If you don't burn my steak especially for me, you support Islamic terrorism
K.
>>
>>7917351
I can smell your fedora from here.
>>
>>7917419
Yeah I wiped ur mum off with it
>>
>>7917296
>this is a nice halal bbq anon, but your wife has no burqa, it is time to stone her
your argument goes both ways
>>
>>7917414
thats not his fedora.
>>
>>7917432
your reading comprehension isn't very good lad
>>
>>7917472
it seems yours isnt much cop

giving either the guest or the host total control is completely stupid
>>
>>7917294
I'd find it a little odd but if a guest asked for his steak well done I'd have little problem with it, after jokingly calling him a faggot of course.
>oh no I have to keep this particular steak on the stove a bit longer what a travesty
>>
>>7917486
you've lost the plot, lad
>>
If a guest asks for it, sure I'll make it well done, buy he will be judged for it.
>>
>>7917580
are you swedish by any chance?
>>
>>7917595
dra åt helvete
>>
>>7917432
>>7917398
>people don't understand metaphors
(cwl)
>>
>>7917309
well done isn't burnt. And there's a clear difference between whining like a baby and asking for your steak well done, don't act like there isn't one.
>>
>>7917630
>>people don't understand metaphors
>proceed to not understand continuation of metaphor

wew
>>
>>7917358
>>>/r9k/
>>
>>7917296
Jesus you are retarded just end your life now
>>
>>7917294
What if I like my steaks medium?
>>
>>7917954

Then go home and fuck up your own steak.
>>
>>7917954

I'd simply take yours off last. That's not a big hassle like asking for one steak to be left on for another 7 minutes or so, and isn't as childish. There's usually going to be a range of donenesses when you're cooking that many steaks all at once, so you could probably get one closer to medium without making any special requests on the cook.

Demanding a well-done steak is like being a little kid you screams and cries about your signature puttanesca you made for the get together and demands you cook a single serving of noodles with nothing but butter and cheese.
>>
what if they were old or pregnant??
>live by the meme, die by the meme I'd tell them to leave too

celebrating conformity is not what 90's kids are all about bro
>>
>>7918025
>implying an old or pregnant person faces significant risk from eating a rare steak
>>
>>7917998
I thought medium steaks were acceptable on /ck/
>>
>>7917293
[picture of a hat]
>>
>>7917633
>well done isn't burnt

Yes it is.
>>
I'd sincerely enquire as to why they prefer well done meat to rare or medium rare.

I can understand why somebody wouldn't like to go rare as the texture of rare can be too gelatinous for some people, but any meat that is no longer pink in the center has been cooked to a point where it has lost its optimal flavour and juiciness.

I assume most people prefer well done because they are squeamish or afraid of food poisoning, both logical failures.
>>
>>7918171

>I'd sincerely enquire as to why they prefer well done meat to rare or medium rare.

and you'd be a knob for doing so

'can i have it this way'
'why'

congratulations, you've just alienated your guest
>>
>>7918180
>alienated your guest

Why do you find simple questions to be alienating? Does it offend you when someone asks you a question or are you happy to explain the reason for your preference? If the former, why?
>>
>>7918180

Obviously it depends who is asking, if its an elderly woman I'd probably say to her "not a fan of a rare steak?" And leave it at that.

If its a guy I'd probably tell them it tastes really good and recommend they give it a go.

I don't have many friends, but I make new ones just as readily. I've accepted that my open mindedness and fearlessness of others both attracts me to people but pushes them away.
>>
>>7918183

it doesn't offend me, i don't even have that preference, i just know what is annoying and what isn't. if you're doing it as banter, fine, but if you're 'sincerely enquiring' you're gonna just make them uncomfortable for having to defend their preference for the umpteenth time.

>>7918190

>If its a guy I'd probably tell them it tastes really good and recommend they give it a go.

he knows you think that. he knows people want him to eat rare steak. rare steak is a dead horse.
>>
>>7918207

>rare steak is a dead horse.

Are you implying that meat cooked to the appropriate doneness for maximm flavour, juiciness and tenderness is simply a trope?
>>
If you take them off the grill at medium rare, then they will be a solid medium by the time you cut into them

>what is carry over cooking bitches

Hank Hill BTFO by propane
>>
>>7918156
Burnt is when there's black residue retard. Try not to make jokes this is a very serious thread.
>>
>>7918214

no. i'm saying the people who prefer well done steak don't do so because they've never heard rare steak is better. they've heard it a hundred times. they just don't want it. you can try to bully or persuade them into it if you want, but 'sincerely enquiring' is just gonna come across tiresome and autistic.
>>
>>7917630
Did.....did you graduate high school?
>>
>>7918227
(ok) (cwl)
>>
>>7918231
That isn't what a metaphor is, anon.
>>
>>7918214

>rare
>maximum tenderness

lol.

tenderness, flavour and juiciness are about cooking the meat minimally while also breaking down connective tissue. some steaks are gonna be better above rare for this reason unless they're low-temped
>>
>>7918236
s-shit
>>
>>7918223
Burnt is when it's overcooked.

Well done is overcooked.

QED.
>>
>>7918237

>Some steaks are gonna be better above rare for this reason unless they're low-temped

Alright faggot, its called a general discussion, not a specific description of each and every cut of meat.
>>
>>7918250

if you're specifically talking about filet you're right, otherwise no, you're generally wrong. there is no objectively best temp for meats, there are pros and cons and preferences either way.
>>
>>7918247
But that's not how it works, you fucking retard. Burnt is a much higher extreme of overcooked.
>>
>>7918111
Nice trips.

Like the other trips >>7917999 said asking for medium is completely acceptable because it asks little else from the cook. It is not a horrible inconvience.

All the arguments against well done imply it is a hassle for the cook so I ask this:

What if the cook normally has their steak well done? Are you going to throw a fit and be a hassle or are you going to stick to your word and eat at least a medium well steak? It is one or the other.
>>
>>7918270

great point
>>
>>7917296
Pretty much this
>>
>>7918266
>M-m-m-uh burnt meat isn't burnt!

Whatever you have to tell yourself to make you feel better about your ruined food.
>>
>>7918286
Hey I don't even like well done, I'm just trying to help retards like you who can't tell the obvious difference between 2 different things
>>
>>7918270

>or are you going to stick to your word and eat at least a medium well steak? It is one or the other

It's completely different. Anything above medium isn't considered acceptable by most people, it's considered ruined. it's like saying that your grandma who's taste buds no longer work throws a cup of salt into everything she makes because that's how she prefers it, so you should just cringe and bare the inedible food she serves you.

Taste may be subjective, but it's not that subjective.
>>
>>7917275
Depends on the cut.
The cheaper the cut the more cooked I like it.

A rare rump steak is bad in the same way a medium well fillet steak is bad.
>>
>>7918292
>wah wah wahhhhhh why doesn't he cook steak like my mommy does!!!!!!!
Sheltered brats like you is why the economy is failing
>>
>>7918296
>A rare rump steak

rump steak doesn't even qualify as "steak".

If it's not filet, Tbone/porterhouse, strip, or ribeye then it's not a steak. Yes, I deliberately left sirloin out of that list.
>>
>>7918292

>Anything above medium isn't considered acceptable by most people, it's considered ruined.

i hate to tell you this dude but i don't think that's true.

like if you're calling it 'ruined' you're probably just trying to project an image of being gordon ramsay. something has been lost, but it can still be perfectly enjoyable.
>>
>>7918306
>something has been lost
>perfectly enjoyable.

Pick one.
>>
>>7918302

>muh no true scotsman proclamations

kill yourself
>>
>>7918308

let's talk about short ribs. you've probably eaten them ground up in a burger or braised heavily until they're falling apart. what about one sous vided for three days? it's still pink, steak like in firmness but super tender and flavourful. is it 'ruined' when you have them smoked or braised now? or is it a different kind of good?
>>
>>7918308
get rid of perfectly and it works retard
>>
>>7918306

Lots of people order med-well or well-done because their parents taught them that anything else is raw.

People with experience beyond what their bad cook parents taught them generally agree that mid-rare is the ideal for a steak; that's just a fact, and not some try hard Gordan Ramsay fedora opinion.
>>
>>7918317

>People with experience beyond what their bad cook parents taught them generally agree that mid-rare is the ideal for a steak

fine, but you're shifting the goalposts. mid rare is a bullseye for the alignment of certain desirable qualities in a steak. some people prefer a skew one way or the other.
>>
>>7918156
No it's not
it might be dry and tasteless, but it's not burnt
You aren't slowly burning food to cook it, something is only burnt if it was on fire and/or reached high enough temperatures
>>
>>7918316

Yes, that's the whole fucking point. Why would I want a steak less than perfect when I could have it BE perfect?

"close enough" is not good enough. It must be perfect. What's the point of buying an expensive cut of meat if you're not going to prepare it properly?
>>
>>7918327
No shit, I'm talking about the case where if it happens it's still ok to eat the meat and not throw it out.
>>
>>7918327

you used the word ruined. you obviously think you're gordon ramsay. protip: not many chefs respect that guy.
>>
>>7918323

>some people prefer a skew one way or the other

Absolutely, but well-done isn't a skew, it's a hockey puck.
>>
>>7918337

it actually isn't, it's just completely grey. that doesn't mean it's completely dried out.
>>
holy shit why is everybody so angry, can't we all just get along?
>>
>>7918346

I hate vegans but sympathize with some of their arguments, specifically about factory farming and people generally eating too much meat, so when I see people say it's okay to ruin a piece of perfectly good meat than an animal had to die for by cooking it well-done I get a little angry. There is no compromising on that point. It's also a form of being a picky eater, which is the lowest scum of all of /ck/.
>>
>>7918356
Why so hostile C:
>>
>>7918339
>that doesn't mean it's completely dried out.

No, but it does mean that all of the proteins have been denatured all the way to the center of the steak. And that makes the texture unpleasant.
>>
>>7918382
I denatured your mother's proteins last night
>>
>>7918339

>cooking a thing longer doesn't cause more of the water to evaporate

Whatever you say, pal.
>>
>>7918382

>No, but it does mean that all of the proteins have been denatured all the way to the center of the steak.
> And that makes the texture unpleasant.

i know what you're trying to get at but this is pretty dumb.

>>7918410

>cooking a thing longer doesn't cause more of the water to evaporate

i said it wasn't completely dried out, not that it's as moist as a rarer steak.
>>
>>7917275
Only for good cuts of meat, if you're going to put a steak on such a pedestal, why would you bother with a shit cut.
>>
File: EU1sEsB[1].png (499KB, 449x642px) Image search: [Google]
EU1sEsB[1].png
499KB, 449x642px
>>7917275
>eat well done steak
>have always preferred it, find the gelatinous texture of less than well done unpleasant
>well done is only dry if it's cooked past 160F, it can still be juicy just like chicken or pork that's well done
>don't spend too much time thinking about it
>there are people who spend hours of their lives talking about how my preference is wrong or worse than theirs
>mfw
i'll probably try raw meat for tartare or something when cultured meat is available since it's less likely to contain parasites and bacteria though
>>
>>7917275
The only proper way to eat a steak is Black and Blue w/ a glass of scotch
>>
>>7918438
They truly don't realize well done steaks on the grill stay very juicy. It's not like any of them actually cook though.
I'm at medium well thanks to these guys, but I'm not going any higher than 20% red.
>>
File: poop.png (279KB, 650x594px) Image search: [Google]
poop.png
279KB, 650x594px
I miss King of the Hill so much.
>>
>>7918422

>if a thing is bad to begin with there's no point in trying to cook it properly because it's always going to be shit, and everything is shit, and there's no point in even trying in anything you do
>>
>ordering pizza
>2 free toppings
>3 of us our deciding which toppings to get
>decide on spinach/garlic
>4th person comes out of bathroom
>just wants plain cheese
>the other 3 of us will eat any combination of 2 ingredients
>no just plain cheese
>wind up wasting half of the pizza on him
>he eats one slice
>next time order what we want and tell him to go to mcdonalds down the street

this is exactly how I picture the type of person who requests well done.
>>
>>7918296
>The cheaper the cut the more cooked I like it.

This is some bullshit. I've had amazing skirt steak cooked rare.
>>
If you want anything over medium you can watch it yourself tbqf
>>
>>7918358
Holy shit I agree with this so much.

I'd rather dine with a vegan than a mayo and american cheese well done tendie faggot.
>>
>>7918513
>Y-you can't enjoy your meat like that!!! S-stop!!!!
>>
>>7918327
>if you're not going to prepare it properly

If you are so particular about something, you should not eat any social event.

Because "properly" is subjective, and everyone has a different preference.
>>
>>7918292
>if it is not by my standard is not acceptable to most people, in fact it is ruined

Eat at home then. Few will miss you. The whole point of subjective is that there is no standard for most people, otherwise it wouldn't be subjective to begin with.
>>
>>7918499
well it's nice that you demonize people who prefer well done steak so you can feel better about yourself, it's a very healthy way to think about yourself and others.
>>
People only pretend to like well done because they have weak constitutions.
>>
He's right. Anything medium well or lower is the correct way to eat steak. Well done fags should not be allowed to purchase steak.
>>
>>7918600
>Well done fags should not be allowed to purchase steak.
i envy how carefree and normal your life must be to take the time to post things like this
>>
>>7918657
I don't mind when people are doing it at restaurants because they're paying for it. But at a barbecue just let the dude grill and finish things when he wants to.

If you don't want to eat it then pick up a mcdouble on the way home.
>>
Anyone that actually cares how other people eat their food is a turbo faggot. /ck/ fancies themselves as chefs, so shut the fuck up and cook the steak how it's ordered.
>>
>>7917275

Well if I have people coming over..

I want them there.

If I offer steaks, Ill ask what people want. If they want blue, they will get blue and char. If they want medium, thats fine. Well done, sure - why not. Ill just do a less expensive cut.
>>
>>7918679
>let him finish the way he wants to
>he happens to do well dones
what do you do brother?
>>
>>7918489
Nice assumptions, poorfag. If a cut is shit for a particular style of cooking, use it in another dish.
>>
>>7918679
>>7918693
>just let him do what he wants as long as he's doing what i want
it's not like cooking a steak to well done is a bunch of extra work, you just leave it on the grill for a few more minutes
>>
>>7917296
Metaphors only work when comparing similar levels of issue, not when comparing extremes.
>>
I never understood this steak snobbery. yeah I think there are idiots out there who ruin food by not eating it at its optimum (in my opinion) mode but it doesn't fucking trigger me. if it did I'd be forever triggered by everyone doing everything different from me like enjoying freemium games.

only a complete turbofaggot edgelord gives a shit about what other people eat. the only exception is your partner or your kids or whatever. otherwise stop getting so butthurt.
>>
>>7918327
Probably because steak doneness is subjective. There is no such thing as an objective authority on taste and texture. Merely puppeting the tastes and preferences of renowned chefs might get you through most meals just fine, but sometimes even the best chefs in the world had subjective shit taste on some matters. (see: Gordon's eggs)
>>
>>7918571
The level at which you should accommodate someone has lots of factors including accessibility to ingredients, difficulty, and their attitude towards being catered to. The pizza guy was in the wrong, but asking for a steak to be more done is fine to most people.
>>
File: 1465220529495.jpg (128KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
1465220529495.jpg
128KB, 500x280px
I don't know why people are bitching this hard. When I go to my parents house to cook a nice steak dinner for them, I cook mine rare, my dad's medium rare, my sister's medium and my mom's well done. You just pay attention and pull them at different times. By the time the less cooked steaks are done resting the shitty leathery one is ready to come out anyhow. You guys act like taking something off a pan/broiler/grill/whatever is some herculean task you can't be fucked to deal with.
>>
>>7917275
It's been discussed many times over, well proven that a well done steak will taste no different from a $1 cut and a $20 cut. It ruins the flavors, leaves the meat tough and dry. If you're worried about sanitation, bacteria doesn't penetrate much past the skin. That's why you initially salt the steak before cooking to draw out surface moisture and bacteria that will be seared off.

If you still can't handle this and require fully cooked meat, cook chicken.
>>
>>7918806
>salt makes the meat safe

Made me kek. I won't disagree charring a steak makes it homogeneous, but bacteria goes far past the skin. Otherwise you could just eat it at 600F for a minute and be done.
>>
>>7919060
>but bacteria goes far past the skin

It doesn't though. And that's not skin, that's the surface.
>>
>>7919060
He's right though. The critters that make you sick cannot be inside the muscle tissue unless the livestock was diseased or the cut was severely mishandled.
>>
medium-well master race here, come at me
>>
>>7919080
And if that's the case the meats already bad and likely has toxic compounds in it.
>>
>>7919068
>It doesn't though
if that were true you could just leave meat out and trim the surface anytime you wanted food

obviously that is not the case but if you still think so, do some research
>>
File: 1399392488374.gif (1MB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
1399392488374.gif
1MB, 280x210px
>>7917275
>listening to the opinion of anyone who prefers cooking with propane
>>
File: mad hill.jpg (9KB, 205x286px) Image search: [Google]
mad hill.jpg
9KB, 205x286px
>>7919131
HWAT DID YOU SAY BOY?
>>
>>7919131
that boy aint right
>>
>>7919094
This. Controlling rot so it only goes skin deep is a very expensive process that is expensive because it is labor intensive and throws out a significant portion of the original meat. You cannot find a random piece of meat and think "bacteria is only skin deep".
>>
>>7919094

That's exactly what fucking dry aging is.
>>
Holy fucking shit, this thread is pure autism. I'm not joking, almost all of you chucklefucks here couldn't be further removed from social interaction than if you were living on the ISS.

Asking (politely) for steak rare, medium, or well-done is a perfectly reasonable request that can be fulfilled simply by taking the meat off sooner or later. Just ensure that you've made this absolutely clear well before cooking starts, because whining about food while it's going in your mouth is indeed bad form.

The fact that you folks are turning something this trivial into a borderline culture war says less about your cooking skills and more about your social adjustment (or lack thereof). Frankly, I'm really disappointed.
>>
>>7919094

>if that were true you could just leave meat out and trim the surface anytime you wanted food

you can do that.

people do that.

people make money off doing that.

when you eat at a good steakhouse, someone has made money off doing that.
>>
>>7919306
The best posts are the ones where screeching autists insist that making some small request about your dish of the chef is somehow out of line.

When I cook for my friends, I want them to enjoy their meal. I'm not doing it because I want to feel like a man, I'm doing it because I want to show them I appreciate their company. The host's role is to accommodate his guests, within reasonable bounds. Taking feedback on how well-done people want their meat is normal. It's like asking people if they prefer legs or breasts at Christmas dinner, while you carve the roast.
>>
>>7919306
its a reasonable request, but its not an unquestionable request

it is also acceptable to ask why they would prefer it well done over rare or medium-rare

believe it or not, some people dont really know their stuff when it comes to meat (this board is evidence enough), so it is possible to start a discussion, and suggest what you think is best
>>
ITT: No one understands hyperbole.
>>
>>7919360
EXACTLY. Being a host is about giving back to people, not lording over them, though guests must respect you as well. As you said, clear and equal communication between guest and host is the way to go, instead of either making a doormat out of the other.
>>
>>7919395
SHUT THE FUCK UP I HOPE YOU FUCKING DIE TASTELESS NIGGER
>>
Oh no, someone cooked their GMO subsidized corn-fed, non-therapeutic antibiotic-laden, ammonia-drenched, shit steak longer than I like to!

lol it's American beef.
>>
>>7919653
American Beef is considered some of the best in the world, even beating out Argentina where it's a religion. Sorry Euro. Only Japan tops.
>>
>>7917286
FIRST
Just gonna throw this out there. Well done steak still tastes delicious unless it's completely burnt. I'll eat it, shit tastes good. But if I have a choice I like medium-medium rare
>>
>>7917296
And there it is, all it took for /ck/ to go completely off the rails.
Thread posts: 144
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.