[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of cooking with portable camp stoves?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: SoloStoveTitan.png (389KB, 486x368px) Image search: [Google]
SoloStoveTitan.png
389KB, 486x368px
What do you think of cooking with portable camp stoves? I know a lot of companies/products make these portable stoves ( not all are equal in quality ) and some of them are pretty neat. The thing is I've never cooked on one before and before I go cooking with one I'd like to hear from those who have ( excluding YouTubers/advertisers ) cooked on stoves like these. For the sake of reference I'm referring to stoves like the Bushbox, EmberLit, Firebox G2, Scout stoves, Solo Stoves, and the TOAKS stove.

Image related: Solo Stove Titan ( mid-size model ) that fits inside a 1800ML cook-pot for easy carry.
>>
>>7131851
inb4 "Why?" - With a lot of companies offering sales on their stoves for the week I figured it might be worth picking one up if they are any good.
>>
If you like to go camping and/or are homeless, they're great. Not going to compete with your gas range but a helluva lot easier to keep the temp regulated than over a campfire or whatever. Of course I don't really camp that much so when I do I usually just bring food that doesn't require cooking. But the one time I ever used one, it was a lot better than open firepit cookery as far as producing an even heat and therefore not burning/undercooking.
>>
>>7131851
They're great for heating shit, which is what they're made for, but I wouldn't try to use one to cook with, due to the limited fuel supply.
>>
File: EmberLitFireAnt.png (658KB, 600x988px) Image search: [Google]
EmberLitFireAnt.png
658KB, 600x988px
>>7131966
>>7131885
Fair enough. I've seen some pretty impressive YT videos of them being used to cook ( see below ) and just figured I'd ask around. I'll still be keeping an eye on this thread in hopes of seeing more opinions and ( with luck ) possibly hear from somebody who has actually made meals on stoves like these.

Firebox G2 baking rolls, boiling corn and grilling steak: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zsgv9j5czU

Bushbox XL boiling noodles, frying 1lb of beef and simmering marinara sauce: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rxdOvP_c2U
>>
>>7132004
I used this to boil water for cup ramen, then the people in my party why I brought cup ramen on a camping trip.

There were no survivors.
>>
>>7132017
Well I'd never question you for boiling water for ramen. Soups are great to bring on camping trips! What I want to know is which one you used to boil the water and what were your thoughts regarding it? Did it seem like it was well built/that you could cook a meal on it?
>>
>>7131851
Just buy a hibachi or cook over the fire pit. It's not rocket surgery.
>>
>>7131851

Depends on how you camp, really.

If you're a camper that brings dehydrated meals that just need water and heat, then those portable stoves are great. We used them in A-stan and Iraq, and they're lightweight, and some models allow for a variety of different fuel sources.

If you're a camper that packs a cooler of fresh foods to cook at a camp site, then you're better off sticking with cast iron and simply cooking over a fire, or going with one of the bigger portable gas stoves.
>>
>>7131851
99% of lightweight single burner stoves are AWESOME for boiling water and nothing else. If you aren't carrying weight I recommend a two burner coleman stove that uses the small canisters. I also recommend purchasing the refill adapter for $20 if you have a grill tank. The larger stoves are better for actually cooking, not just boiling water. They're much larger and heavier so you won't be carrying them in a pack anywhere. They're also great to have around if you have an electric stove and the power is out.
>>
>>7131851
>>>/get/
>>>/out/
no seriously /out/ is great
>>
>>7132536
I have the coleman 2 burner propane grill thingy. For when power goes out. Throw some pans on it, cook bacon or chef boyardee or anything really. But it stays in the garage with a propane tank just for if power goes out. For vehicle camping it would work where you have a tent site and park at like a home each night. I think what OP means is backpacking stoves vs vacationing stoves or something in that reference. But you're right on about what you said.
>>
I think that most overnight or longer hikers generally just rehydrate and heat pre-packaged freeze-dried meals out of pouches. That's what hiking camp stoves are designed to do.
>>
>>7132253

Agreeing with this. The "type" of camping you do matters a great deal.

It also depends on what you want to prepare. If you are making a dish that can be cooked in a pot or a pan I wouldn't bother with one of those stoves at all. Just make a fire and once you have a good bed of coals put your pan/pot/dutch oven right on there. Other foods can be grilled over the fire with just a skewer or stick.

On the other hand if you have specialized requirements: lack of fuel for a typical campfire, extreme weight restrictions as to what you can carry, or if you want to do other kinds of cooking like baking then you might want a specialized camp stove.
>>
File: SilverFireScoutStoveTech.png (257KB, 790x612px) Image search: [Google]
SilverFireScoutStoveTech.png
257KB, 790x612px
But they can cook. In fact the SilverFire stoves are made specifically for cooking anything you can find and come from backpack models to models for in-door cooking. Silverfire also has a pretty cool humanitarian thing going so people in third world countries can cook more effectively.
>>
>>7132184
http://www.rei.com/product/653343/esbit-pocket-stove

I used this. It was okay, I bought mostly for being lightweight and small, I do not like to carry gel or those containers of fuel, I prefer fuel tablets but I am considering fuel tablet/wood and am looking to see if the Fire Any picture in your post is any good.

I would not use this in cold weather, as the fuel tablets do not put out enough heat to boil water efficiently. In normal temps one tablet is more than enough to boil roughly a bowls worth of water.
>>
In my highschool we would go on camping/hiking trips once or twice a year. Would use a bunch of old trangias.

Personally I think that the most important factor is the size of the unit. It needs to be able to be made as compact as possible, so you can carry more food to cook. Unless you're going near an area with plenty of drinking water, don't bring any food you need to boil.
>>
>>7134529
That "Fire Ant" stove is okay; not as pretty ( and arguably effective ) as hinged stoves like the Bushbox/Firebox G2 but it will certainly outlive them because it has no hinges. Gasifiers, while a bit bulkier, are best because not only do they burn cleaner but they burn better. TOAKS makes a decent one for a good price that you can take apart, fit it inside a 1100ML or 1600ML Pot/Pan, and allows you to fit any of their cups under 500ML inside the disassembled stove. They also make a smaller stove that fits inside a smaller pot/pan set which you might want to look into if you just go out on your own but both of those stoves work very well in cold weather once you get the fire going.

There is one stove that isn't a gasifier I really like: the 180 HD Tack stove ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57202mU6J2I&list=PL66_bYgZpf7Krx9kf_olV9mdUaV-X-bU_&index=16 ) that might interest you.
>>
>>7131851
>>7131851
I work of an airport restaurant bar and cause of safety restriction we can only use this kind of portable stoves for cooking and foods preparation innour kitchen's. Our specialty dish is pastaroni which has been awarded golden choice status and professor Fong's US airport tastiest and healthiest meals list for over several years now. All this status using just a simple portable stoves.

Source: I work as portable stove associate cooksmith with airport dining specialization certification
>>
>>7132253
Fuck the troops!

I support the war, not the troops!
Did u get injured?
Do u has a bad dream now cuz of trauma?
Does u not has a good job cuz u r dum and had to go onto army?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.