[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/herp/ - Reptile & Amphibian General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 71

File: AnimuSSssss.gif (147KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
AnimuSSssss.gif
147KB, 500x375px
animu edition

previous >>2330013

/herp/ reptile classifieds for finding breeders of various scaled and sundry creatures

>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>Also check to see if there are any annual reptile shows/expos in your area as these are good places to find good animals from good breeders at partial discount

/herp/ officially official all purpose care sheet of wonder and magic

>sand a shit
>use a thermostat
>read all the caresheets
>set up your tank before you get your herp
>regulate temps & humidity levels prior to herp arrival
>do not fuck with (handle) your herp for at least 7 days after bringing it home and ideally wait until herp has eaten at least one meal (for snakes), two meals for lizards, frogs, etc.
>PVC tanks are way better for most applications and worth the extra money
>it is best to avoid chain pet stores when looking to purchase live animals as mass breeder suppliers are not especially careful about health and sound genetics... it often saves you money long term to spend a little extra up front to get a healthy animal

>Jump Start (formerly Hydrofarm) thermostat is a good basic and inexpensive thermostat for regulating ceramic heat emitters and under tank heaters (Amazon sells it)
>if you want something more advanced for temperature control, look at Herpstat products
>>
>>2338794
Very pretty eyes!
My biggest issue right now is deciding how to cull. I have mixed feelings about releasing them, and I don't want to kill them. I am going to end up with 200 tadpoles, and they don't show their colors until they go to froglet stage, so by cutting the tadpoles numbers down I may be throwing out an awesome phenotype.
What if I cull the one frog out of the bunch that is ultra-red or copper? It is like frog gambling.
>>
>>2069
just one of the thing you need to deal with when it comes to frogs i have never bred or owned one but i got m8s that tell me lots about them.
>>
File: cute-snakes-wear-hats-120__700.jpg (134KB, 600x340px) Image search: [Google]
cute-snakes-wear-hats-120__700.jpg
134KB, 600x340px
hey /herp/ im going off to college relatively soon and have been considering getting a reptile when i do. I've owned a leopard gecko when i was in middle school and i was wondering if i could get some help deciding on a good pet. Personally i love snakes but if i were to get one id rather it not get too big and also if theres any good starter reptiles that are also herbivores that would be great. (pic unrelated)
>>
>>2071
look very closely at your dorm rules
if they dont allow herps do not get one
its not worth hiding it in your closet or under your bed only to have it noticed and then you have to immediately rehome it

that being said if you want some nice smaller snakes looke at rosy boas, childrens pythons, sand boas, and hognoses

i dont think there are any herbivorous lizards that you could comfortably fit in a college setting unless you live at home or are renting a house
>>
>>2072
sorry i should have explained it better, what i mean is my mother is deathly afraid of reptiles and once i move into a home of my own id like to get a reptile. i figured no dorm on earth would allow a snake unfortunately
>>
Does anyone else pet the fats of their geckos here?

I think I have a problem, because I want to keep petting and rubbing the fat sides of my gecko.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1400x994px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1400x994px
hey /herp/ does anyone know if a Russian tortoise is difficult to care for and if they are a bad choice for a person relatively new to the hobby?
>>
>>2075
Probably the easiest and cheapest to care for in the hobby.
Pretty darn dumb for a tortoise though, if that bothers you.
>>
>>2075
Pretty straightforward. Best kept in tortoise tables. Even better if you can make a pen for them to be outside when it's warm.
>>
>>2076
lol no, thats kinda one of the reasons i want a tortoise in the first place. Im not a huge fan of insects so that kinda limits the whole reptile section, and aquatic turtles usually smell kinda weird and im not looking foward to something like that. I just thought a tortoise would be cool because its small, slow, dumb and i could just be like "wasup my man, want some lettuce?" and hell be like "hell yeah mah nigga" and ill toss him some lettuce.
>>
>Neglectful python owner is taking it back
I weighed it and it's 1400 grams at over 5 feet long. I feel awful that I couldnt rescue it
>>
>>2078
yeah, uh, don't get a tortoise
>>
>>2079
>oh fuck dude it died
>>
>>2081
I'm cutting contact with the guy.
He's been a thorn in my side for a while and this is pissing me off enough to just tell him to never speak to me again
>>
File: galapagos-giant-tortoise.jpg (209KB, 900x953px) Image search: [Google]
galapagos-giant-tortoise.jpg
209KB, 900x953px
>>2078

Tortoises are not complicated, for most species, but they do require work and close eye to attention on their health. That means you have to be constantly monitoring their diet and vitamin intake, making sure they are getting sufficient UV, and so on. If you do not, they will develop vitamin deficiency, then shell pyramiding, then die.

Also they live forever. It's a lifetime commitment.
>>
>>2078
Aquatic turtles don't smell if you actually keep it clean with strong enough filtration in a proper sized aquarium. (most people have them in either undersized tanks or weak filtration that makes the water look any color besides clear)

Only smells if things are left rotting in it too long, which honestly applies to both aquariums and terrariums. I can understand if the aquarium maintenance side of it is off putting, it's a little more to watch out for and a little laborious with deal all the water, but otherwise it's very straightforward.

They too will gladly eat lettuce from your hand though
>>
>>2082
Just tell him that the stress of the two relocations is too much, that it could die. Then tell him to eat a cock and keep the snake.
>>
>>2085
He doesnt seem to care.
It's got early signs of an RI, is seriously underweight and is the shyest snake I've ever met.
It's too good to deserve this but theres nothing I can do.
>>
>>2083
Yeah I didn't know about the vitamin thing and as for the age thing I thought if I were to get one id find an adult one who's owner couldn't keep it anymore just to lower the commitment from eternity to just a couple eras.
>>
>>2087
>lower the commitment from eternity to just a couple eras
Kek
>>
>>2087
>from eternity to a couple eras

i lol'd
>>
>>2084
>They too will gladly eat lettuce from your hand though

Yeah. Watch your fingers though. They have pretty strong jaw strength and don't necessarily aim very well when it's munching time. Little extra blood and skin on the lettuce is bonus seasoning.
>>
>>2075
they went to space, fell back down into the ocean, and came out relativity healthy so it should be hard to mess up
>>
>>2068
Are tomatoes also snakes?
>>
>>2078
if you want a reptile because they are dumb, you don't want a reptile
>>
>>2090
there is a pond near where I live and I dangle my fingers in the water like worms and let them chomp my fingers. it's never drawn blood though, and it seems like they know it isn't actually food
>>
>>2093
thats just for tortoises not all reptiles and tortoises make me laugh just cause theyre doofy sometimes
>>
>>2086
If it's in your care you literally have no obligation to give it to him.
>>
>>2096
Legally its his animal.
I should have taken it to the vet to get legal ownership of it instead of just figuring out the issues myself
>>
File: snappingTurtle.jpg (103KB, 900x596px) Image search: [Google]
snappingTurtle.jpg
103KB, 900x596px
>>2094

It's not a problem when they can see your finger. The issue is holding some veg and the chomper gets too close resulting in accidental bite. And also i was referring to adult tortoises mostly. Small aquatic turtles (not snapping) can't do much damage.

Don't dangle fingers when pic related is in the water. They don't fuck around.
>>
>>2097
Even with the animal in a clearly neglectful state? I guess most wouldn't care about a reptile but is there nothing where you live you could at least try showing the snake is being abused?
>>
Is it true that sneks can do math?
>>
>>2085
>>2096
>>2099
I tried to explain how dire it was but he didnt care.
I told him he's a piece of shit and not to talk to me anymore.

I do miss it though
>>
File: Siren.jpg (85KB, 564x484px) Image search: [Google]
Siren.jpg
85KB, 564x484px
Also posted in /aq/ since it never leaves the water, but:
Have any of you kept a siren? What state are you in? I really really want one, but it looks like they are illegal in OR.
>>
>>2102
This looks like the spawn of an axolotl and a sand boa.
>>
>>2100
i highly doubt it
>>
>>2103
Right, it looks like it would be flying through the air while being worshipped by prehistoric mexicans.

Way cooler than an axolotl or salamander.
>>
>>2105
It is a salamander.
>>
>>2105
And an axolotl is a salamander.
>>
>>2107
>>2106
Axolotls are definitely salamanders, in Ambystomatidae, but sirens are in Sirenidae, and the morphology is so different I would not call them salamanders. By technicality yes, but in reality no.
>>
File: IMG_9280.jpg (807KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9280.jpg
807KB, 3264x2448px
I'm going to be going away for a couple months on an internship this summer and and my sister will be looking after my baby beardie (born in January) while I'm gone. She can make occasional runs to PetCo for live worms and crickets, but I'd like to make it a bit easier on her by getting him accustomed to pre-killed crickets and worms so I can just stock her up before I go. Right now he's reluctant to even eat his veggies unless I dangle them in front of his face. Is the solution here just to use feeding tongs, or is there a trick to getting a baby beardie to eat non-moving veggies that applies to insects as well?

Picture of baby as bonus.
>>
File: demetrius marcellius tiberius.jpg (95KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
demetrius marcellius tiberius.jpg
95KB, 800x533px
purchased a colorado river toad
just got him so im gonna leave him be for a few days
have a decent heat lamp
has eaten defecated and slept
coconut fiber soil in a 20gal
gonna move asap

big chubby guy
>>
Pythons or boas?
>>
>>2111
What's the difference? I'm actually asking here.
>>
>>2112
http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-boa-and-vs-python/

>Pythons are distributed in Asia and Africa while boas are found both in the new world as well as in the old world.

>Both these include the large species compared to many of the snakes, but pythons are longer than boas.

>Pythons have more teeth than boas do.

>The number of bones in the head is higher in python than in boa.

>Pythons lay eggs and incubate them at the outside, whereas boas give birth to young after incubating the eggs inside the body.

>Pythons have heat pits to incubate eggs but not in boas.
>>
>>2113
neat.
>>
File: IMG_2771.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2771.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2111
Boas, as far as pets go. I like the big pythons, though.

>>2113
As with anything, there are exceptions. Emerald tree boas have extremely large heat pits. One of the sand boas and the Calabar ground python/boa both lay eggs, and are both currently considered boas (last I heard anyways).

Many boas do have heat pits, they're just a lot smaller or only along the bottom lip. If they lack heat pits, they do still have heat-sensitive scales.

It's rather odd to make a claim that pythons are longer than boas when there are pythons 3' at adulthood and 20' at adulthood, while there are boas 3' at adulthood and the anaconda at least can get 20' or very close to it. It's a sweeping claim for a large range of snakes, although I guess there are more pythons that get over 10' than there are boas, it still seems odd to generalize all boas and pythons in that manner.

Pic related is one of my boas.
>>
>>2110

Excellent toad!
>>
>>2111

As pets? Boas. Their relaxed personality combined with moderate activity level is a pleasure to work with.

Pythons are much more variable. I really like the australia antaresia pythons (spotted, children's). Carpet pythons and related I have had good and bad experiences with, they have a fairly broad range of personalities with some being hellspawn straight out of the egg and never change, while others are teddy bears. Tree pythons are beautiful but mostly a look-but-don't-touch unless you have to kinda animal- and also somewhat nitpicky on their captive care.
>>
>>2110
is it worth getting a rain frog online from backwater reptiles? or should I just get one of these dudes or fire bellied toads

I want a frog but I've never had an amphibian before only reptiles
>>
Is there even such thing as an adult leopard gecko that eats well? I swear mine is retarded. She won't eat crickets because they are too fast for her lazy ass and they freak her out when their antenna touch her. She loved mealworms but they are shit and now she doesn't like them anymore for no apparent reason. Dubia aren't an option here. She won't even go near superworms, and Phoenix worms I finally got her to eat a single one which then crawled out of her damn mouth before she finally ate it again.

Also she will not touch feeders with calcium or vitamins on them but has no problem self regulating.
>>
File: Red Spotted Garter.jpg (47KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Red Spotted Garter.jpg
47KB, 960x720px
This is our local variety of garter snake, Thamnophis sirtalis concinnus, the red sided garter. They have such a pretty teal/orange-red contrast going on, I wish my camera caught it.
A very very pretty morph/subspecies, I want to keep it but I think it is too old to take to captivity. Also, I don't want to have to feed it vertebrates, and it appears too big for worms and bugs.
>>
>>2119
i'd get her checked

mine stopped eating well before she had apparently been infected with gut worms and died after about a month and I never knew. I just chalked it up to her being weird/fasting for a bit.
>>
>>2118
>backwater reptiles
I've gotten snakes from them before without any issues.. But I'd check out classifieds/FB groups before buying from them, personally.
>or should I just get one of these dudes or fire bellied toads
Thats personal preference, yo. I'd pick a toad/frog depending on what size tank you're looking to use and how often you want to feed and whatever else.

>I want a frog but I've never had an amphibian before only reptiles
This is my first toad ever, I've only had snakes/crabs/fish before this thingy. So far not that much different.
>>
File: 20170323_125057.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170323_125057.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Cleaning pt. 1
>>
File: 20170323_125055-2721x3628.jpg (2MB, 2721x3628px) Image search: [Google]
20170323_125055-2721x3628.jpg
2MB, 2721x3628px
Cleaning pt. 2
>>
File: 20170323_125359.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170323_125359.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2124
While cleaning she had a photoshoot
>>
>>2125
more like a photosnoot
>>
File: 20170323_132022.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170323_132022.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>2125
>>2124
>>2123
And finafuckinglly I'm done. Shit took 2 1/2 hours
>>
File: 20170323_165510.jpg (562KB, 1439x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170323_165510.jpg
562KB, 1439x1080px
Cleaned my blood python enclosure after that shitshow with the ball python.
I never realized how much bloods liked to burrow

Rate snake
>>
>>2128
10/10 clearly loves that log
>>
>>2129
I hope he grows up to be bright red.
He seems a bit skinny but I'll fix that
>>
File: jesus christ.jpg (117KB, 612x857px) Image search: [Google]
jesus christ.jpg
117KB, 612x857px
>>
>>2131
Arent venomoided snakes still venomous though?
>>
>>2098
yeah they are just red-eared sliders
>>
>>2108
you are very retarded
>>
File: Screenshot_20170323-200037.jpg (1MB, 1818x1177px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170323-200037.jpg
1MB, 1818x1177px
Looking into a pvc cage for 2 of my BP's. Which ones would you guys reccomend? I was looking into showcasecages stuff
>>
>>2132
no, that's what the word means
>>
>>2136
I've heard a lot of stories about partial regeneration of venom glands.
>>
>>2137
I've only ever heard of fangs regrowing from dumb asses defanging cobras or something

Never looked into it too deep because if I was to ever get into hots thered be no way Id get that done
>>
>>2137
>>2137
It can and does happen. Not always, but it is always a possibility.
>>
File: 20170323_230120.jpg (499KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170323_230120.jpg
499KB, 1920x1080px
Such a cute
>>
>>2120
You shouldn't be taking any animal out of the wild anyways. You can find captive bred individuals just like that one for extremely cheap. Thamnophis.com is a good place to find garter breeders, as it's the only place I've found with a heavy concentration of garter keepers.

From what I can find, concinnus are strict fish eaters, so if you kept one a diet of thiaminase-free fish would be what you'd want to feed it. Garters aren't really built to eat rodents, they don't naturally eat them, and the fur can sometimes cause impaction. Pinkies are fine, but they get overweight extremely easy on them as I've found with my two (I've had to start feeding them every other week until I can find a way to keep earthworms alive or start a guppy tank or something). Fish are probably the best vertebrates to feed most garters as most species/subspecies eat them naturally and they represent a whole diet vs. earthworms, although worms would add nice variety.
>>
>>2135

The manufacturer doesn't matter that much. What you do want to pay close attention to is material thickness. Some PVC cages use a thinner plastic than others. You're looking for 10mm top/back and 6mm is okay on the sides. Top can sag slightly if it's 6mm.

Front glass should either be 1/4" acrylic or actual glass. 1/8" acrylic is unacceptable unless the pane itself is seated in it's own door frame; without the frame it will flex and you probably will have an escaped snek at some point.
>>
My pacman frog is going to die. I've posted here over the past month about how he won't eat. I took him to the vet and he couldn't help me. I've tried to give him crickets, mealworms, superworms, earthworms, roaches, and beetles. He's refused them all. I've left them in his tank overnight. Refused. I adjusted his heating pad and moisture level to be perfect. His appetite hasn't changed. I've even force fed him but he actually pushed the food back out with his hands.

So basically, I am giving up. How long will it take him to die? How do I not feel like shit? Is there anything at all I can do?
>>
>>2142 (You)

Also, I'm working on an idea for a wood frame and corrugated plastic walled tank right now. The idea is to have a lightweight tank that is inexpensive to make and much lower hassle as far as wood sealing is concerned. Corrugated plastic is cheap, sturdy if you mount it correctly, and insulates well by design due to partial airflow through the internal cells.

I'm putting it together over the next couple weeks and will post some pics in various stages of completion.
>>
>>2143

Well, you can avoid prolonging the suffering and euthanize. Sorry anon.
>>
File: image.jpg (603KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
603KB, 2048x1536px
Should I make strawberries a regular part of my box turtle's diet (right now he only eats crickets covered in calcium and superworms)?
>>
>>2145

Thinking on this further, i'd wait on the euthanizing. Pacman frogs are remarkably robust and have been known to be mistaken for dead only to rouse from the slumber and come back.

In your situation I would continue keeping temperature and humidity in correct range, change water bowl every four days, put mealworms confined to a bowl (no loose crickets or roaches) once weekly. And wait. It's late winter after all and your frog may very well be attempting to brumate.
>>
>>2141
Yeah, this fella was most likely getting fat on frogs, as none of the ponds in his habitat had any fish. Many many tadpoles and frogs though.
I wouldn't have kept it regardless, I am not a fan of snakes mainly because I am too squeamish about feeding live/prepared prey.
>>
>>2068
So, I've never had a /herp/ before, and what I've found for a first time Lizard is either a leopard gecko or a bearded dragon. Gecko's always fascinated me as a kid, and I want one, but Leopard geckos just don't appeal to me. I get why people like them, and I think they're quite cute but, they're just not me I guess.
Could someone recommend me a beginner gecko besides a leopard?
>>
>>2149
Crested gecko or gargoyle gecko. They are tree dwelling and require tall rather than wide tanks.
>>
>>2150
Perfect, that's one of the reasons I don't like leopard geckos is that they don't climb. Would one be ok is a 20 gallon high aquarium?
Or would I need to get some sort of exo-terra tall terrarium?
I'm just worried about proper ventilation.
>>
>>2150
>>2151
Also, do they want company, or do they prefer to be alone?
>>
>>2151
A 20 gallon high is great for both adult cresties and gargoyles. For juveniles you're gonna want a 10gal. You don't need to get any fancy exo terra tanks; even if they are faster to get than a 20gal that you have to build a front door for, they are way more expensive. The choice is up to you though.

>>2152
They are solitary animals, most reptiles are.
>>
>>2135

I like Animal Plastics. I've gotten 3 from 3 different people. Animal Plastics seemed to have the most attention to good design. Like there's a small inlet on the bottom to fit a thermometer probe between the UTH and the bottom of the cage, then a canal to run the cord out the back. And a large area about a foot wide that is slightly thinner PVC for the UTH itself to sit and push heat through with less resistance. Stuff like that. It's just good design.
>>
File: 20170324_134038-3628x2721.jpg (2MB, 3628x2721px) Image search: [Google]
20170324_134038-3628x2721.jpg
2MB, 3628x2721px
>>
File: 20170324_133520-3628x2721.jpg (3MB, 3628x2721px) Image search: [Google]
20170324_133520-3628x2721.jpg
3MB, 3628x2721px
>>2155
Little girl is about to shed
>>
>>2153
>For juveniles you're gonna want a 10gal

For babies you can just use sterilite tubs to have money until they're big enough to move in to final adult tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZpXZLD5Dbk
>>
>>2146

Not sure on box turtle diet. I assume they need both veg and insects?
>>
>>2157

JB also did one specifically for babies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idpztqZoJf8
>>
>>2154
It was going to be between AP or showcase. I also heard boaphiles was shit?
>>
>>2146
use vegetables, not fruit I think
>>
File: 20170323_230110.jpg (399KB, 1439x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170323_230110.jpg
399KB, 1439x1080px
Anything I should know about bloods that isn't common knowledge?
I have humid hides, both warm and cool. Dry hides that are warm and cool, a large water bowl with a weak lamp to help it evaporate and keep ambients up, and some live plants.
He seems pretty cozy in his warm-humid hide.
I'm mostly worried about him starting feeding on Thursday. At his age would it be best to offer live or go straight to prekilled rats
>>
File: 20170324_170052.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170324_170052.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
just chillin with muh fire skink
>>
File: IMG_20170323_205544.jpg (510KB, 1152x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170323_205544.jpg
510KB, 1152x1920px
So my ball python LOVES soft things like cotton blankets and stuffed animals. Is there anything bad that could happen because of this or is it fine to spoil her like this?
>>
>>2164
Not unless it decides to eat some of it
>>
>>2165
It's hard enough to get BPs to eat actual food, let alone the possibility of them eating stuff made of fabric. I'd say it's 100% safe in that regard.
>>
>>2160

Send the ones you're interested an email to see what the wait time on shipping is. Sometimes there can be a couple week delay or more, depending on what they have in stock. I see Showcase advertises immediate shipping on marked in-stock items so I'd probably go with them. It took AP a month to ship me something once.
>>
>>2166
I've never had an issue feeding a ball python. I dont understand everyones issues.
>>
File: 20170309_052501.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170309_052501.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I got my buddy here about 3 weeks ago, and all seems fine. I waited a week and a day before handling him, just like everyone said. That being said, he's extremely skittish if I try and pick him up. He'll let me pet him, but last time I held him he actually jumped out of my hands. Do I just keep trying to hold him?
>>
>>2169
don't pick him up by grabbing from above, get him to crawl on your hand, or slide your hand under him or something
>>
File: IMG_20170319_215201_301.jpg (504KB, 1836x2295px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170319_215201_301.jpg
504KB, 1836x2295px
Is this a green anole? I just want some confirmation because I've read that they're a rare find these days because of the brown ones (which are literally all over my yard). This guy was napping on my front door when I got home the other night. He was so chill he barely opened his eyes to look at me while I was taking pictures. I opened the door and went inside and he didn't even move.
>>
>>2171
Yeah, it's a green anole.
They usually stick to the tops of trees now.
>>
>>2171
>>2172

>they're a rare find

I must be missing some part of the story. Its been a while since I was in Orlando, but they seemed as common as houseflies. I was just in Miami and Im pretty sure I saw them there also, though I admit I wasn't paying close attention to colors. In fact, I saw something similar that had what looked like stripes. I guess the oddest thing was at a beach on Virginia Key and happened upon an iguana running wild in the parking lot, and another making mischief in a tree at South Pointe near some swanky pub. In Orlando, I remember anoles sneaking into my hotel room (rather high up) and spying on me from the drapes. They were nearly at plague numbers at a park around Church St.

Maybe my confusion is this: Dont brown ones turn green also? Do green ones change color? I am certain I am misunderstanding something. The one pictured in >>2171 does appear a brighter green than I'm used to seeing.
>>
>>2173
Brown anoles are an invasive species.
The two have managed to coexist though.
>>
File: reptile-show.png (146KB, 600x345px) Image search: [Google]
reptile-show.png
146KB, 600x345px
Going to a reptile expo tomorrow for the first time tomorrow, so excited. Looking for another crested gecko since I just upgraded my lone one to a much larger tank a few weeks ago.

Not specifically just to crested geckos, what should I expect? Does /herp/ frequent reptile shows?
>>
>>2173
I'm a little jealous of this land of frequently seen wild herps. Up here in Canada there are very few native species. They exist, I have read, but I've never seen any in the wild except for a couple tiny little frogs at summer camp when i was in elementary school. I have read it's possible to find garter snakes in the local parks in my city in summer but have never spotted them.
>>
File: 520804477_8f6b29ad0e_z.jpg (100KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
520804477_8f6b29ad0e_z.jpg
100KB, 640x480px
These recent posts about anoles got me thinking about some of my spare tanks.
How do they do as pets? Are they interesting animals to watch? I got a spare 10 gallon lying around, but I wouldn't be opposed to buying a new encloser.
>>
File: iguana.webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
iguana.webm
3MB, 800x450px
>>
>>2177
I have 2 brown and green females sharing an exo terra unit

The brown is a bit shy but the green is not afraid at all and will snatch crickets out of my fingers. Really voracious eater that comes bolting out of its hide when i clank the feeding tongs together/open the csge door
>>
>>2177
>10 gallon
too small
>>
>>2173
green anoles can change between green and brown. brown anoles are always brown
>>
>>2177
they are really smart, but I don't think they are territorial. I don't think they get that used to people

>>2174
stop this meme. forcing green anoles out of niches closer to the ground does not mean coexisting
>>
>>2182
I meant they ARE territorial
>>
>>2182
But stable populations of both does.
>>
>>2180
What size would you suggest then?
>>2182
I don't need to handle them to enjoy them, I just wanted to know they're active little guys who would be interesting to observe
>>
>>2185
Depends how many you intend to have
>>
File: sosa.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
sosa.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I just got a new female leopard gecko since i had my other female of 3 years in a 20 gallon and wanted her to have a friend. Before i quarantine her, I wanted to see if they would get along but my old gecko tried to bite her face and is just mean as hell. If I try to quarantine her next to my other girl, will she eventually warm up to her? was it just a reaction to a stranger? is there any hope of friendship(in the gecko sense) if they get used to each other?
>>
>>2187
You're an idiot, that's for sure.
>>
>>2187
>>2188
let me rephrase that: I put the cup i got her in with my old female and she bit towards her face through the plastic. But thanks for the help buddy.
>>
File: IMG_6907.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6907.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Is my baby boa in shed? Her eyes are cloudy like this but theyre more white than blue and her colors are as vibrant as usual
>>
>>2189
Your entire plan makes you an idiot, idiot.
>>
>>2191
putting them in neighboring tanks so they can get used to each other? why?
>>
>>2170
Well he was immediately less skittish, but still ran away
>>
>>2186
Do they do better in larger numbers?
I was thinking of one or two, maybe three if I buy a large tank.
>>
>>2190
Yeah, she's gonna shed in a few days
Boas go brown before they shed and she's definitely browned out
>>
>>2125
thats adorable
>>2126
kek
>>
>>2192
no, thinking that your gecko wants or needs a "friend" is what makes you a retard
>>
>>2156
>>2155
is that wild or is it yours? cause if its the latter, youve got some balls that i dont anon. Im too chicken shit to handle a snake while its shedding. Striking is a terrifying idea to me
>>
>>2164
thats so cute!
>>
>>2169
i think hes afraid of humans cause youve got some one punch man in the back ground. Little guy thinks people can explode mountains with a punch so no wonder hes scared.
>>
>>2178
when hes running across the court, i imagine him making the sound meta-knight makes when he attacks in smash and it makes me kek so hard
>>
File: IMG_2710.jpg (1MB, 2591x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2710.jpg
1MB, 2591x3120px
Name ideas for this little dude?
>>
>>2202
Gex?
>>
How do I teach my snek to annoy my sister?
>>
Fucking brown anole immigrants, they need to go back
>>
>>2202
KROXIGOR
>>
>>2187
>Quarantine
>Immediately puts leopard gecko in with other gecko to be "friends"

Pick one.
>>
File: DSC_0325.jpg (2MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0325.jpg
2MB, 3008x2000px
>>2190
Yes, depending on how long she's been blue, she should shed in about a week. I've noticed my snakes show signs of shedding 4-7 days before they go blue, then they're blue for another 4-7 days, and then shed 1-3 days later.

Boa constrictors oddly enough don't get fully cloudy eyes like other species.
>>
File: 20170325_134818.jpg (548KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170325_134818.jpg
548KB, 2048x1152px
Went to this tiny little reptile store in the middle of nowhere the other day... they had everything.
Just about shit myself when I turned around to a huge rattlesnake. Really makes you appreciate these animals when you see them up close.
Also king cobras are beautiful and terrifying and I would never want to come across one in the wild.
>>
>>2207
>>2189
>>
>>2197
I don't actually think reptiles can form friendships, I just wanted a breeding female once i take my friends male I don't have to use my Petco-bought pet gecko. I meant friendship in the gecko sense which is tolerance. I just want advice from people who might have been able to make geckos tolerate each other. You seem to be quick to judge, friend.
>>
>>2137
Only if the person doing the surgery fucks up and misses some of the glands. Honestly I wish that they could regenerate their glands completely regardless of damage or surgery since venom does play a partial role in digestion for some snakes. Also it'd be a damn fine way to teach people that these are animals and not fucking toys were it not for the fact that people would automatically jump to banning the animals as pets rather an realizing that it was the result of morons being morons.
>>
>>2212
This

A certain level of respect has to be held for these animals, or you get fucked.
>>
>>2210
>the plastic cup doesn't have traces of your new gecko or the breeder's other geckos on the outside too

It's an unnecessary risk. The point of quarantine is to keep both geckos in separate rooms if possible and far away from each other if not. Not trying to be an ass but this just isn't a good idea in the future.

>>2211
If you're looking for tolerance you don't even have to house the two together. Some advice I'd give is to not try introducing them in any of their usual tanks. Try putting them on "neutral ground" either outside of the tank temporarily or get a specific tub for meeting and breeding. This way their scent isn't all over their "home" and nobody gets pissy.
>>
>>2187

Yeah if either of the geckos is irritated enough to show actual fighting body language around the other, it's no-go on cohabitation. They must be kept separately. It isn't like cats where you can slowly acclimate them to each other's presence. I have witnessed two leopard geckos fight in person (not my geckos and it was accidental during a tank cleaning a shop owner was doing). Let me tell you, they do not mess around and absolutely try their best to kill each other.

Body language I would expect to see from possibly compatible female leos is the two keeping away from each other and basically ignoring each other's presence. No defensive posturing and no threat tail waving. If it looks good at first introduction, it doesn't guarantee the cohab will work long term. These are territorial geckos and will establish a power hierarchy if housed together. Sometimes the balance of this hierarchy is too skewed such that the boss gecko will guard the food and prevent the beta gecko from eating. If that is observed or one gecko is either not gaining weight at a normal rate or losing weight, they have to be separated to individual tanks.
>>
>>2193

Put your hand close but don't move it. Do that two or three times a week for fifteen minute sessions. Let your beardie investigate at leisure. They'll climb on and smell you, then climb off, then maybe climb on again. Don't pick him up out of the tank the first several times he does this. It doesn't take long for beardies to get very tame with this method. Month or two tops.
>>
>>2215
>>2214
thank you for the advice guys.
>>
>>2209
are you sure thats a rattlesnake?
it looks more like some species of copperhead
>>
File: 20170325_134822.jpg (547KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170325_134822.jpg
547KB, 2048x1152px
>>2218
The picture is a copperhead. My phone ran out of space for photos so my brother has the rest
Here's one of the rattlesnakes about to shed
>>
>>2198
It's mine negro
>>
File: LIQUIIIID!!!.gif (1023KB, 450x262px) Image search: [Google]
LIQUIIIID!!!.gif
1023KB, 450x262px
I wanted to share this with you guys: My male leopard gecko has grown used to taking a shit on my back, he just patiently waits on top of his tree-hide looking at me until I open the door of his terrarium, he then gets on top of my hand and climbs to my back, takes a shit and goes back to his terrarium. Now how can I fix this, he usually had a designated shitting spot on his terrarium, but after waiting for 3 days after his meal he was just waiting for my back, any piece of advice?
>>
>>2221

Stop handling him for a few weeks.
>>
File: timberrattle.jpg (366KB, 1694x953px) Image search: [Google]
timberrattle.jpg
366KB, 1694x953px
>>2219
look at how big this one is. it was at a nature center
>>
File: IMG_0557.jpg (598KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0557.jpg
598KB, 1200x1600px
>>2223
Really beautiful snakes
Got him to send me the pictures
Dump commencing
>>
File: IMG_0558.jpg (570KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0558.jpg
570KB, 1536x2048px
>>2224
The other Cobra that was absolutley terrifying. Would not take his eyes off us
>>
File: IMG_0541.jpg (701KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0541.jpg
701KB, 1536x2048px
Love vine snakes
>>
File: IMG_0555.jpg (810KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0555.jpg
810KB, 1536x2048px
Thirsty snek
>>
File: IMG_0551.jpg (592KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0551.jpg
592KB, 1200x1600px
Last but not least
Gorgeous snek
>>
>>2227
Is there water in it??
>>
>>2229
In the snake?
>>
>>2229
No, but I assume they filled it later as other enclosures had full dishes
Really wish we took pics of the gaboon vipers, caimans, and kookabura they had.

>>2228
Also what is up with the iridescence on this guy? It's beautiful. Really expensive too
>>
>>2231
Brazilian rainbow boa. They're very popular because it. Little bit trickier care requirements than most other snakes as they need very high humidity.
>>
File: IMG_2784.jpg (3MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2784.jpg
3MB, 2592x1728px
>>2231
Most snakes have iridescence, the intensity really depends on the species, but even my keel-scaled garter has some iridescence.

>>2232
That's a reticulated python. Pic related is a rainbow boa.
>>
I used mod podge to seal a homemade cave for my reptile and let it dry completely clear for 2.5 days before I put it in the tank. Everything was fine for the first day but I just noticed that the mod podge turned white and damp again somehow? Freaked me out so I took it out of the tank and now I don't really know what to do about it so it will properly seal.
>>
File: 1481386611665.jpg (45KB, 550x397px) Image search: [Google]
1481386611665.jpg
45KB, 550x397px
>>2222
How am I supposed to bond with him then?
>>
>>2187
I feel lucky, my male and female are confortable together they even sleep together..
>>
how do i get my bearded dragon to eat those pellets?
>>
>>2237
You stop feeding shitty pellets?
>>
File: 20170327_123105.jpg (2MB, 1917x1275px) Image search: [Google]
20170327_123105.jpg
2MB, 1917x1275px
How come nobody in these threads owns turtles
>>
>>2239
They can't tell the difference and just drown tortoises.
>>
>>2239
They get hella old son
>>
>>2240
kek, i remember that video. fuck
>>
>>2239
Mostly compared to other herps, they generally need bigger enclosures than most beginner herp keepers can accommodate ( a big outdoor pen or a pond for larger species of turtles/tortoises) and some people are intimidated of having a commitment for an eternity. Plus aquatic turtles are more akin owning a really big, less sensitive fish and some don't like maintaining aquariums

I own a RES I've had for a decade since I was a dumbass kid. She's doing good
>>
>>2236
I want to believe that my old gecko is a tough thug gecko that had to grow up in the slums (petsmart) so as a result she has a tough exterior, especially to strangers hahaha. But in reality shes just territorial and hated another gecko in her home. I'm building a shelf soon, so I'm thinking maybe if i introduce them to a new environment at the same time, the territory is kinda fair game. But we'll see, I'm sure my OG gecko just isn't used to intruders. I hope she softens up haha (':
>>
File: snakes.jpg (163KB, 1911x926px) Image search: [Google]
snakes.jpg
163KB, 1911x926px
can someone tell me what's happening in this pic?
they dont look like new born snakes from viviparian species so are they hatchlings?
>>
>>2245
>viviparian

All of that slime looks like afterbirth to me. What makes you think they aren't live born baby sneks?
>>
>>2245
Those look like freshly birthed boas
>>
>>2234
bake it?
>>
>>2198
>never been struck
Cmon
>>
>>2249
I've never been bit either and I've kept snakes for 2 years.
My boa has never even tried
>>
File: dltl8tr.jpg (257KB, 590x373px) Image search: [Google]
dltl8tr.jpg
257KB, 590x373px
i recently moved to NE for a job and i'm feeling lonely, so i'm thinking of picking up a ball python. my apartment pet policy just states "cats only" so i'll be speaking with the landlord tomorrow about picking up a snake.

assuming i can get one, i was thinking of picking up pic related. is there anything in particular i should watch out for? i've cared for dogs all my life, so this is relatively new, but i am excited
>>
File: IMG_20170323_132058_239.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170323_132058_239.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>2251
Don't get a starter kit, make something yourself from scratch. The snake will quickly outgrow all that comes with that. My setup, including the snake in pic related was around $350. Coconut fiber currently because she is in shed
>>
>>2250
Pfft 2 years
>>
File: 20170327_220608.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170327_220608.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>2252
>>2251
Another pic, but watch out for open mouthed breathing. Read ALL the care sheets you can, and don't just get it from a pet store. Use a breeder instead, a well known one. They need belly heat more than basking heat so be prepared to invest in an under tank heater and thermostat.
>>
>>2251
don't get a spider morph and you should be good anon
>>
>>2176
where in canada are you? im in toronto and i've seen snakes and toads but thats about it
>>
File: hoggers.jpg (160KB, 1024x688px) Image search: [Google]
hoggers.jpg
160KB, 1024x688px
>>2256

Alberta. Apparently there are wild hognose snakes here. That's also the reason I no can have hoggy on account of native species protection. Boo.
>>
>>2239
I had somewhen younger until my mother got rid of them after she sent me to my eldest brothers house for punishment over the summer
she sold my 75 gallon tank the filter and heater for $20 for some weed

Have been wanting to get some more since that was 7 years ago but I'd want to give them a nice looking big enclosure that would be a bit pricy
>>
any tips to help my red tail boa not to be so stressed n debressed?
>having issues shedding
>building a fogger for her will take 2 days to complete
what do?
>>
how long do very stressed veilid chameleons live?
>>
>>2260
had quite a few of these at work. we separated them in their own little enclosures and fed them small crickets and mealworms and in a few weeks they were well enough to put back onto the salesfloor. hope that helps.
>>
>>2261
Thanks for the reply
I bought mine about 4 years ago, however when the saleman went to grab it out of the enclosure, it must've spooked the chameleon badly. It was a special needs guy that did it, he chased the cham around with his hands, ruining the enclosure in the process when he finally grabbed the poor thing in a rough fashion, and then stuck it in a small box for me to take home.
I was pretty shocked seeing this, and the cham was colored black for about 2 weeks when I had him. He did eat though, but everytime someone entered his room, he would immediatly turn to you and try to hide. Its still like this now..
>>
What are some kind of snakes native to Quebec?
>>
>>2263
the trouser snake
>>
>>2068
Would the salmonela on herps affect my ferrets?
>>
>>2259

Mist a couple times a day until your fogger is ready. Larger water bowl will help too.
>>
>>2262

You can add some extra foliage for more cover. Other than that, just keep contact to tank maintenance/feeding only, and move really exaggerated slow when you do it. Once completed tank maintenance, sit quietly next to the tank for five minutes not looking directly at chameleon.

This will take some time but your cham will chill out eventually. Just living in quiet house instead of busy pet store will already be doing a lot of good.
>>
>>2265

Very low risk of that but wash hands after handling any of them. Keep ferrets away from reptiles because the ferrets will likely annoy/stress/freak out your herps.
>>
File: IMG_20170328_023936.jpg (766KB, 1561x1951px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170328_023936.jpg
766KB, 1561x1951px
Okay so I posted a pic earlier in this thread of my little pink belly sideneck turtle that I got from a reptile expo on Saturday

Last night I noticed 3 little white specks along the edges of a couple of his scutes. This picute was taken after I gently scraped some of the material off with a dull toothpick.

I've had a turtle deal with shell rot before and it screwed up her shell (this was years ago, before I knew anything about turtles, now she's healthy and happy, just with a scarred shell)

I don't want to freak out and stress the turtle if it's not neccesary, but if it is shell rot, I want to treat is ASAP.

I contacted a turtle breeder on Instagram, she said that the suspect areas didn't seem to be anything to worry about, and may just be imperfections or scratches from the other turtle hatchlings this guy was with at the reptile show.

She Saud not to worry and to just consider buying a shell conditioner, but I'd like a second opinion.

It should be mentioned that, other than being really shy, the turtle is otherwise in completely perfect health. Hard shell, active swimmer, and a good eater already
>>
>>2215
hey if your still here can you give more details? like how do leopard geckos fight? do they use their claws? do they go for the neck? do they use their tails? how tough is their skin?
>>
>>2269

That doesn't appear to be cause for concern. I'm no expert on turtles though.

>>2270

They latch on to whatever is convenient, clamp down, and yank. Sometimes spin like crocodiles. They easily have enough jaw strength to open large wounds in the skin of other leos. Tail and claws are mostly just used for leverage and balance when fighting. Damage is all done by mouth.
>>
File: leoFightWound.jpg (121KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
leoFightWound.jpg
121KB, 500x667px
>>2271

Here, I found a picture of the typical wound type leos tend to inflict in fights. Chunks of skin pulled off like this will usually be seen on the sides, top of head, and base of tail.
>>
File: 2017-03-28 14.28.51.jpg (811KB, 2004x2672px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-28 14.28.51.jpg
811KB, 2004x2672px
anyone else in the hobby of keeping darts? just got my first two cobalts in today out of three, one of them came doa from a different vendor which made me sad. I'm still new to the hobby and was just checking to see if there are others here that keep dart frogs out of curiosity.
>>
>>2273
I'd love to keep darts, but I don't have the funds to give them areally nice enclosure
And I dont particularly like crickets
>>
File: 800175L_1011_poison_arrow_frog.jpg (130KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
800175L_1011_poison_arrow_frog.jpg
130KB, 600x600px
>>2273
I don't currently but I'd like to try darts one day in the future, maybe once I have more experience building vivs
>>
>>2259
A fogger is not going to solve your humidity problems. You will want to reduce ventilation, and potentially change beddings. A fogger is only going to create wild swings in humidity and drastic drops in temperature every time it turns on.

Could you give some details on your set up? Temps, humidity, enclosure size, a pic of the set up, how you're measuring temps/humidity, etc. Did you just get your boa? How often are you handling? How often are you feeding and how large are the meals? Any number of things could stress a snake out.
>>
>>2252
>>2254
Thanks for the advice anon
There's a breeder expo at the end of April, I think I'll go and pick up a snake while I'm there.

I've reviewed the pet policy with my landlord, and here is the relevant section:
Fish, small birds, and other caged animals are allowed. The maximum container size for any pet should not be greater than the size of a 10 gallon tank.

From what I understand, ball pythons spend most of their time in their hides, and dislike large open areas. I've heard that 20 gallon tanks can last the snake a lifetime, but if I get a young one, could I keep it in a 10 gallon tank for at least a year?
>>
>>2277
and what are you going to do with it once it outgrows a 10?
even then a 20 long is inadequate unless you for sure have a male bp, and even then thats pushing it if he nears 4 feet in length
>>
>>2278
When it begins to outgrow that tank, I would have to either violate community rules, find a new apartment, or give the snake up.
I'm exploring other smaller options too, like the Kenya sand boa, though there's no telling what will be at the expo.
>>
>>2272
>>2271
Man that's gruesome. You'd think little lizards would be less brutish but it turns out they fight to the death.
>>
>>2279
just don't get a herp at all when you've only got 10 gallons. buy a spider or some other invert
>>
>>2273
I have one Tinc, one Auratus, and a P. Vittatus.
>>
>>2279
I cant see that getting a tank bigger than a 10 gallon will be a huge deal. Mine >>2254 is 40 gallons and it doesn't take up hardly any space.
>>
>>2279
get a rosy boa or a garter snake. They comfortably spend their whole lives in a 10 gallon
>>
>>2284
dumbest shit I've ever read. stop posting
>>
>>2285
the average rosy boa is 2 feet at maturity and a garter is smaller than that.
>>
>>2286
you fucking retarded yeah it can fit in there, but animals need more space than that
>>
What is everyones opinions on live feeding?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tax3Cm9jmVA
>>
>>2287
>Animals need more space than that
Depends on the animals. Having large, open spaces is considered a bad idea for some snakes and having a large area is sometimes just unnecessary.
>>
>>2287
A 10-15 is suggested for a rosy boa and a 10 is perfect for a garter.
>>
>>2283
I suspect that the 10g limit has more to do with weight than size. Apartments often have a problem with aquariums for this reason + flood risk. With a reptile tank your landlord is unlikely to be terribly fussy about the exact letter of the rule.
>>
>>2288
Unnecessary is most cases, dangerous to the snake, and cruel.
>>
>>2290
>A 10-15 is suggested for a rosy boa and a 10 is perfect for a garter.
american pet keeping standards, everyone
>>
>>2293
A garter snake is generally about 20 inches long and 5 ounces at most.
10 gallons is perfect.
>>
>>2294
If you have no idea what you are talking about, it's best to just stay silent.
>>
>>2295
A garter snake over 20 inches is either a freak or is old.
Do you devote an entire bedroom to an iguana too?
>>
>>2296
Ah yes, the classic hyperbole retort to defend your moronic standards.

I don't get why you're even so opposed to the suggestions that it might not be a good idea to cramp an animal its entire life into a retardedly tiny tank that gives it barely room to move around in.

Kinda funny how when I look at European caresheets they actually give decent minimum sizes of about 33-35 gal to allow the animals a pleasant existence instead of being cramped in a little box until it's time to toy with them.
>>
>>2297
No wonder you dumbass europoors don't have anything good.
Id need a second house if I wanted a burmese python
>>
>>2298
>No wonder you dumbass europoors don't have anything good.
as opposed to 10000 morphs of the same four species?
>>
>>2298
>Id need a second house if I wanted a burmese python
Also, good job for pulling out the same hyperbole shit again. How DARE anyone suggests the animal's wellbeing should be a priority. After all it is only important to somehow keep them alive.
>>
>>2299
At least they're not banned in half of the place here because crybabies think they're dangerous
>>
>>2300
>Wake up
>Am europoor
>Use bathroom, don't wipe afterwards
>Praise allah
>Knock on my snakes bedroom door
>Snake bites me
>Forgot to pay for my TV license so I go to turn myself in to the police
>Get beheaded before I can get there
>>
File: 1485222406262.jpg (27KB, 667x659px) Image search: [Google]
1485222406262.jpg
27KB, 667x659px
>>2302
>>
File: 1462930304564.jpg (864KB, 1216x1340px) Image search: [Google]
1462930304564.jpg
864KB, 1216x1340px
That's the last time I buy eggs from Walmart.
>>
>>2304
Post more pics
>>
File: 1477552192077.jpg (2MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
1477552192077.jpg
2MB, 2656x1494px
>>2305

I would, but the terrarium is dark and I don't want to keep flashing the newborn. Here is a pair from August of last year. I usually hatch a pair every 3 weeks year round.
>>
Do turtles get bored?
>>
>>2216
Well shit. I tried this and it went well the first time, he sorta just looked at it. Now he thinks ny hand is food. I feed before hand him and everything
>>
I wonder what being eaten by a 7m python feels like.
https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8bb_1490732781
>>
>>2309
considering that it strangles you to death before eating you, it probably doesn't feel like anything
>>
>>2309
>things only little brown people have to worry about
Snek would choke on my amerifat ass
>>
>>2304
walmart hasn't been allowed to sell animals for like 50 years here in the US
>>
>>2312
the last walmart I was in had a fish section
>>
>>2312

Hmm. I'm 35, and I have some vague memory of them having small rodents, but I just can't be sure enough to put money on it. I agree with the other guy about fish, though. I had this goldfish from Walmart that lived 7 years. I guess it developed a lot of survival skills having to deal with Walmart's garbage husbandry.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you were kidding, but that gecko's parents weren't from walmart. One was from Repticon, the other Aquattic Critter in Nashville, TN. I was just knocking walmart. I've gotten some questionable things from their refrigerator sections over the years.
>>
I rescued an African Fat Tailed Gecko from some family who didn't feel as if they were taking care of him enough.

I have only owned snakes and bearded dragons before. I have his enclosure set up based around what some internet research tells me to but does anyone know how often geckos eat?

I have tried meal worms, dubia roaches, and black soldier fly larva and he hasn't eaten any. I understand geckos don't eat every day but how do I make sure he isn't starving himself?
>>
>>2315
Did you just get him? If so, it's not unusual that he won't eat after a stressful rehoming.

An adult should be fed 2-3 times a week.
>>
>>2316
Almost 2 weeks ago.

He is still active, not agressive, etc when I take him out. His previous owners only fed him crickets but I am trying to stay away from them since they are loud, smelly, etc.
>>
File: 20170329_202241.jpg (2MB, 1361x2314px) Image search: [Google]
20170329_202241.jpg
2MB, 1361x2314px
I'm going to repost from the plant thread because apparently it's dead and it's still relevant to /herp/

Okay so today I picked up a pump mister at Lowe's, I wanted it for misting and watering not only plants, but animals too (frogs, geckos, etc)

However, upon closer inspection at home, I noticed a warning on the side, pic related. Is this warning for the sprayer itself, or is it just put on there because they're usually used for pesticides or fertilizers, and they just preemptively put a label there?

I mean the material it's made out of seems like regular old plastic, the only point of concern obvious to me is that the little pump-valve thing on top is lubed up.

Any ideas? I'm going to return it and find a safe one if there's any reason that this could make my animals and plants sick

BTW the brand is named Chapin
>>
>>2318
Its nothing.
California also puts that warning on ammunition. The plastic probably contains a trace amount of something harmless
>>
>>2284
Yeah, no.

>>2286
Garters are 2'+, some can get up to 4'. Garters are also extremely active and need one long side to be longer than their length, so a 10 gallon would not be sufficient. A 20 gallon would work for a small one, though.

>>2289
The key word here is open, and idk about the rosies, but garters absolutely need the space. They're active, diurnal, and interactive.

>>2296
A garter over 20" isn't a freak, if you aren't knowledgeable on garters you don't really have a place to talk on their needs. They average 20"-30". My smallest garter is 20", my other one is 25". Both of them are only 4 years old.

>>2298
Yeah well the needs of your captive pet should really come first. If you don't have the space to properly provide for a Burm? Guess what the answer is. Don't fucking get one.

>>2301
If you're an American (judging off the "europoors don't have anything good" bit), Burms are actually banned across much of the US. If a state/county doesn't ban Burms specifically it puts a 2-3 meter cap on the snake's size. Source: I'm an American that has looked for places to allow giants. Finding a place you can keep a Burm, even with a license, is pretty fucking difficult.
>>
>>2320
Burmese pythons are only banned in Florida and Texas
>>
File: download.jpg (3KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
3KB, 225x225px
>>2319
I've never used one of these before, but I've seen a few herpkeeping youtubers use them for their animals.

It's almost exactly like pic related. Is there any chance that the lube on the pump at the top can get into the water?
>>
>>2322
I use one I bought at a pet store.
If you're so worried go get one there
>>
>>2321
If it isn't at the state level, it's at the county level. Many counties ban all constrictors, thus ban Burms, or ban the giants, thus ban Burms. Lots of states/counties have been trying to put forth ban lists lately with Burms listed, too.
>>
>>2313
oh yeah maybe fish. my parents told me they used to have rodents and birds and stuff in the past
>>
Anyone have any idea if I could keep an Axolotl in a planted shrimp tank?

Don't have a planted shrimp tank atm, not planning on getting one super soon, but I am doing research on it and getting ready for when I move to my new place. Just curious if an Axolotl would thrive with shrimp, or if he would just eat them all.
>>
>>2326
They'd eat them in no time.
>>
>>2327
Figured. Thanks.
>>
>>2175
Alabama?
>>
>>2078
Do not get a pet. You sound retarded.
>>
>>2322

Those are safe. I use them all the time and have done so for many years. If the rubber gaskets are working as they are supposed to, the water shouldn't be getting any exposure to the internals of the pump anyway. Even if it does, we're talking about very small trace exposure to the water. Nothing to worry about.
>>
>>2315
>>2317

Try crickets until your gecko starts eating regularly. Then slowly introduce the other insect types. What might be happening is different food than gecko is used to + moving stress has got the gecko uncomfortable about the whole situation. Familiar food should break the hunger strike.
>>
>>2276
At the pet store I used to work at we had a mister/fogger set up for the chameleons and they thrived. I assumed getting a fogger for my snake would help out.
Basically she has a backdrop in her tank, a water dish so she can soak, she's on coconut husk because the other bedding I used was irritating her skin, and a hideaway turtle shell I picked up at the store she enjoys staying in.
The temperature normally stays above 80 degrees, humidity stays above 60 usually and I mist her every 1-3 hours until it hits 90 like we did with our boas at the store. She's a red tail boa btw. Her tank fits her although I'd like to build her a bigger one some day soon just so she has more space. I've owned her for 3 years but she came into the pet store as a baby and I personally tended to the animals. I socialize her daily and feed her the 20th of each month like clockwork. She eats medium rats but I give her 1 small rat when it's feeding time. Should I incorporate reptocal? We did this at the store but I hadn't done that since I took her home...
>>
>>2333
Boas dont need any supplements if they're eating rats.
90% humidity is way too high, it'll be more comfortable at 60%-70%. You can mist once a day or not mist at all if you keep the cocofiber moistened.
>>
>>2333
Chameleons also require ridiculous amounts of air flow.

As far as the coco husk, make sure you're keeping it slightly damp. It should just barely be damp. If it falls from your hand in clumps or water squeezes out, it's too wet. Re-wet it as it dries. Humidity should be 70-80% at all times, 50-60% is ok for winter humidity but should not be their constant humidity.

Make sure you add some more hides, a single turtle shell isn't enough. The main hides should be fully enclosed with only one entrance (except the bottom, unless you want to, as the bedding will serve as the bottom). The turtle shell can stay as a supplementary hide, but it won't function well as the main hide.

Drastically reduce handling, snakes should be handled max 2-3 times a week 15-30 minutes per handling session. The overhandling and lack of hiding spots may be a big part of why she's stressed out right now.

The feeding sounds ok, the size of rat depends on the size of the snake, but monthly is perfect for a boa of that age eating appropriately-sized prey.

As mentioned, no supplements.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170330-011645.jpg (138KB, 366x647px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170330-011645.jpg
138KB, 366x647px
Okay so I've always fed my corn frozen thawed, except for the last time she ate and this time. I had breeding cull fuzzies from my fancy mouse colony, and I'm sure to quickly and humanely kill them (neck break) and then feed immediately after dying.

I got some fuzzies from the pet store where I'm employed because somebody couldn't care for them and they were free. So I did the usual, killed them and immediately gave them to the snake. However, as the snake was finishing the last one, I noticed it had greenish diarrhea smeared around its tail end. I kind of noticed it a bit on the others but thought that they were just frightened or something. I also wasn't too worried because I remember hearing multiple times before that diseases don't spread between mice and snakes, and that snakes eat sick mice in the wild all the time.

However, now I'm hearing about coccidiosis and that it may potentially be transmittable from prey to predator. I managed to get this pic as she was swallowing the last mouse, obviously I wasn't going to pull it out or anything so I thought I'd at least take a pic.

Should I be worried that I just made my snake sick or is this something I'm just worrying myself over about? I'll obviously take her to the vet if I notice anything's up, but I don't want to flop money out if it's really nothing to get riled up about.

Tl;dr snake ate fuzzies w/ diarrhea, worried that it could make my snake sick
>>
File: snake 2.jpg (594KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
snake 2.jpg
594KB, 900x675px
>>2336

I'd just like to say that its nice hearing that someone who keeps a predator animal not only doesnt treat feeding as a macabre spectacle but in fact shows compassion for the prey also. I dont hear that nearly as often as I'd like (on this site at least)

I just think it deserves respect, and I hope your animal friend is completely fine. I hope someone knowledgeable has an answer soon. I'll lurk this week and hope its good news.
>>
Damn, i think my bearded dragon is afraid of dubias
>>
>>2338

Try hand feeding a couple with tongs. He'll get the idea.
>>
>>2296
My iguana gets the run of the room he is in whenever Im home wit his cage door open
The entire room is heated to 80-85
>>
File: IMG_6949.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6949.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Is this enclosure too cramped for my ball? Its a pretty big one so i kind of went overkill wih the plants to help him feel safer
Was thinking of moving him to a 20 gal and my corn snake who is getting too big for it into this one
>>
>>2341
Nope, it's good.
Cramped is actually good as long as it's large enough for him to move around and stretch out.
So
>cramped because of small house
Bad
>cramped by plants
Good
>>
>>2341

>those flowers

I think thats the nicest snake habitat I've ever seen. What a refreshing contrast.
>>
>>2337
Thanks man. Hoping somebody has had experience with this before because I'm having a hard time finding anything about it online
>>
File: 20170330_210622.jpg (647KB, 1439x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170330_210622.jpg
647KB, 1439x1080px
Does this python look underweight?
I'm iffy on whether or not he is. He's about 18 inches. I've had him for a week and he's eaten once already.
>>
What's the best website for cheap tanks. My local pet store wants like 250 for a 40 gal and some sand. I just need an upgrade. I currently have a 30.
>>
>>2346
https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/toy-tanks
>>
>>2346
Craigslist.
Don't use sand for reptiles.
>>
File: 1468013956819.jpg (99KB, 653x495px) Image search: [Google]
1468013956819.jpg
99KB, 653x495px
>>2346
>and some sand
>>
>>2348
>>2349
>implying my kenya sand boa shouldn't have sand
>>
>>2341

This is actually perfect for a BP. Nice big water bowl, fuck load of nooks and crannies to nose around in and hide under. And a climbing rod too. Well done, anon.

People often think that balls are ground dwelling so clearly they would have no interest in any kind of elevated branch or pipe or something to climb. In actual fact, they will use those things frequently in the middle of the night when the house is quiet.
>>
>>2350
Straight sand is not ideal.
Use woodchips and coco mixed with sand.
>>
>>2350

Sand boa breeders usually recommend aspen shavings for them. Easier to clean out and replace as needed. Sand is a nightmare for keeping a handle on germs and a pain to do a complete replace of.
>>
>>2336
Tough to say if parasites are involved. Diseases don't usually jump whole taxonomic orders but parasites are sometimes indiscriminatory.

I would see how your snake's next bowel movement goes and maybe take a sample to the vet for a fecal exam.
>>
>>2345
Its a blood so maybe just a little? but if its eating then there's nothing to worry about
>>
>>2350
you're putting a kenyan sand boa in a 40?
Either look around on craigslist for people selling theirs off or wait for a petco/petsmart dollar per gallon sale
I don't know if it goes nationwide, but my Petco is starting one in April, so I'd go ask
>>
>>2355
Yeah, I got him a week ago and I got him to eat yesterday.
I'm putting him on a 6 day schedule for the next few weeks until he's eating on sundays.
>>
>>2357
It also looks pretty young, I don't think they get really stocky for a while
>>
>>2358
yeah, it's only 18 inches so I'd guess it's a month or two old.
>>
>>2342
>>2343
>>2351
Thanks guys
>>
Beginner turtle owner here. So I've read how turtles require their UVB bulbs replaced every couple of months as the UV output degrades while the actual lights still work.

What to people typically do with all those excess, still operating bulbs?
I have like 2 laying around (they're Repti Sun 5.0 fluorescent tubes)
>>
>>2361

Those are typically good for 6 months but the packaging for them will usually say.

I have used them as spare bulbs for lamps around the apartment. As long as it isn't a heat lamp it's fine in the regular house fixtures.
>>
Post some cute herps,anons!
>>
File: what do you mean im shit.png (870KB, 3840x2400px) Image search: [Google]
what do you mean im shit.png
870KB, 3840x2400px
>>18775
She's cute, but not much else.
>>
File: cute-reptiles-101__605[1].jpg (67KB, 605x473px) Image search: [Google]
cute-reptiles-101__605[1].jpg
67KB, 605x473px
>>18900
>>
>>2083
>then shell pyramiding

Most of my tortoises have this, I tried what I could to stop it with adjusting their diets and feeding them more calcium powder but it still happened, one of them doesn't have it too bad, but the others have it to varying degree.
>>
>this thread is now stealth due to the OP picture

Holy shit
>>
File: 1349618412001.jpg (18KB, 438x428px) Image search: [Google]
1349618412001.jpg
18KB, 438x428px
This thread is pretty /can/.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (60KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
60KB, 1024x576px
>>19530
>tfw OP saw the future and told nobody
>>
there is an anole living on my porch
>>
File: 1489893985087.jpg (36KB, 795x326px) Image search: [Google]
1489893985087.jpg
36KB, 795x326px
Anyone have any feedback on automisters?

I've had a Monsoon for about 3 years now, and it's spent more time in storage because it misbehaves than it has actually doing its job. I hear the electronics aren't sealed away from the water lines enough so it causes electrical problems.

Anyone have good experience with another brand?
>>
>>20307
what do you even need a mister for?
>>
>>20396

A couple of reasons. My tropical arboreal snakes get most of their water from mist and condensation. They will dehydrate themselves if left to bowls alone. And, I have 4 of them in different enclosures. And they're aggressive and venomous so I strongly prefer not opening 4 cages spray water in it twice a day. Heh

I swear there used to be more companies making auto misters than there are now. I looked into foggers and made-for-human humidifiers but I think that'd be a last resort because I really need those water droplets.
>>
>>20436

This is not a home, by the way. This is an underfunded rescue. These aren't my snakes. I just take responsibility for them. Our stock is constantly rotating, which is why the Monsoon spent a lot of time in storage. Sometimes we have only reptiles from arid climates.
>>
>>20436
>>20454
You could always waterproof the electronic part yourself to save money.
>>
How real is Tsuchinoko?
>>
>>20488
Not real.
Probably based on people seeing vipers that had just had a large meal.
>>
File: nadeko2.png (774KB, 1345x633px) Image search: [Google]
nadeko2.png
774KB, 1345x633px
sneko
>>
>Auto-sage limit reached
>Threads are being bumped out of catalogue within 4-5 hours.
>We'll need a new /herp/ thread today, before april's fool is over.

So, what'll happen when the boards are de-merged?
>>
>>20307

The Mist King is the best one. Exo Terra dealio will break within a few months.
>>
>>20651
this thread is still up on the original board and it's pretty much untouched.
I say just wait it out.
>>
>>20651

Done! Also I am the usual OP of /herp/ and approve of this merger.

>>20694

>>20694

>>20694

>>20694
>>
>>20661

I decided to make a DIY fogger. I have all the parts laying around except the fogger itself, which is only $10. I might have to buy an extra computer case fan depending on how much pressure is needed to push fog through 4 3/8" vinyl tubes. I like cheap alternatives, though. It's worth a shot.
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 71

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.