[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Daytrading w/ a lot of Capital

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

File: money-money.jpg (101KB, 525x309px) Image search: [Google]
money-money.jpg
101KB, 525x309px
>34 years old
>$360,000 in cash
>no wife, no kids
>live with parents
I have $364,000 in pure cash lying around. Assume I keep $164,000 in savings and low-risk investments and I use the remaining $200,000 for day trading. How much can I expect to make?
How much capital is needed to make 100-120k/year from day trading? How about 180-200k/year? Is $200k enough?

I know almost nothing about finance or investments, but I've always been good (not gifted) at math. Before I actually started to trade, I would spend 2-3 years learning and going through text books.
>>
>>1155000
>expect
-$200,000 per annum
>>
If you're asking this question on /biz/, and you really do have that amount of money, then you shouldn't do it at all.

If you can't learn for yourself at the age of 34, without being redpilled, what makes you think you can make money, when 90% of people can't?

Learn now, by yourself and have some dignity.
>>
>>1155000
Don't do textbooks. If these people were successful, they wouldn't write books for money. I'd say take 25k, put it into an investment account, and play with like 5 of it. You learn from experience.
>>
>>1155010
I can learn, most of my career is based around learning. What I'm doing right now is looking for opinions and experiences of people who've daytraded. As I said above, this is not something I'm going to dip into without a lot of thought. My big question is what are the average returns like with a decent amount of capital?

If it's not rare to make $100k/year with $200k of investments, then I'll do the research and begin to educate myself. If it is rare, I'll continue doing business. I've made this same thread on several websites and forums and am just looking for general opinions.

>>1155011
Textbooks not for daytrading, but for a general overview of finance.
>>
>>1155000
>> 34 years old
>>no wife, no kids
>>live with parents
How about you buy yourself some self-respect instead? Your life is nearly half over and you haven't done shit. Invest some of the money, sure, but why not actually use the rest? Who cares if you have money when you die if you just lived like a disgusting little NEET with your parents the whole time and never did anything interesting with it.

Use it to start a business and get a house. Ideally find someone to settle down with too.
>>
Buy bitcoin for the whole 360k and sell for 500k again before summer :)
>>
>>1155000

7 years of luxurious neeting on a 50k salary

what's wrong with that?
>>
>>1155030
I'm satisfied with my life. I've done the generic stuff.
>driven across Europe and USA
>slept with beautiful women
>learned several languages
>workout, built a nice body
As it is, I'm fairly satisfied with my life. I work 3 days a week, play soccer 4 days a week, date a few girls, volunteer, and try new things.
However I'm not having children. And marriage is off the table (I don't want to lose my money).
>>
File: Yellen_0.png (678KB, 808x515px) Image search: [Google]
Yellen_0.png
678KB, 808x515px
>>1155020
it all depends on your strategy.

i've been trading for years, i make much more than a living from it and i started with much less than you.

still, i can't tell you how much money i'm going to make in the next 12 months. especially in these uncharted waters of NIRP and a global economy in the midst of horrific withdraw from the end of the zero interest rate policies of the last decade.

the labor force participation rate has collapsed to early 1990s levels and commodities have been beat down to 1970s levels.

nobody knows what's going to happen, so nobody can even guesstimate what kind of returns you'll get from a trading strategy you've yet to develop.

my advice is to practice trading for about 20 months. Use ~10k of that money to setup an Interactive Brokers account and use the complementary paper trading account to learn the ropes. once you're feeling confident with your performance, top-off your trading account with however much you feel comfortable with [i suggest 50k w/ Reg-T margin] and get busy making money.

if that sounds like too much work, find some real-deal proprietary traders and loan them some of your money for a guaranteed rate of return.
>>
>>1155049
i got my stats mixed up. labor is @ 70s levels, commodities are @ 90s levels.
>>
>>1155041
>what's wrong with that?
I really don't know. My parents are middle class, but I feel like I've lucked out or found a cheat code. Without kids or rent, I've been saving $45k/year and I could probably retire or move to a part time job in 15 years.
>>
>>1155049
>>1155055
Thank you for the response. Some further questions:
>how much money have you made in the past?
>how many hours per week have you been worked?
>how stressful is day trading?
I understand how uncertain markets are and how much preparation is required to go into day trading, so that's why I'm asking. I'm only thinking about thinking about day trading.
>>
>>1155030
>get a house. Ideally find someone to settle down with too.
Fucking awful financial advice.
>>
>360,000 pure cash
>36, all this time
>keep 164,000 in savings
My heart bleeds out for you senpai.
do this:
>evaluate yearly expenses. Make as precise of budget as you can, includes going out, alcohol etc
>keep that amount in checkings + another year in emergency account. So total pure cash should be 2 years expenses.
>invest the rest around: low-medium-high risk. Bonds, stocks for capitall gain, dividends, explore what you would want:
What type of lifestyle would you want as of 5 years from now?
>>
>>1155070

How much have I made? Alot. Hours per week? All day every day for six years running. I live and breathe trading. Asperger-tier obsessive. That's what it takes these days, IMHO. It was very stressful at first, because I had very little margin for error but I don't imagine you'd have that problem with ample funds.

Think of it like playing chess. It takes about 5 minutes to learn how to play, but it takes obsessive practice to become a grandmaster.
>>
>>1155082
>What type of lifestyle would you want as of 5 years from now?
Probably the same as now. Play soccer, go out to the bar a few times a week, and eat at a good restaurant every weekend. I currently spend $700-1000/month. Depending on whether I go out a lot or not.
I live in NC. So in the next five years, I'm probably going to buy a 3-4 bed room house in the suburbs and rent out 1 room to cover most of the monthly payments.

>evaluate yearly expenses. Make as precise of budget as you can, includes going out, alcohol etc
>keep that amount in checkings + another year in emergency account. So total pure cash should be 2 years expenses.
This is what I know I need to do. Since I've been living with my parents, I just thought I could keep it all in the bank.

>invest the rest around: low-medium-high risk. Bonds, stocks for capitall gain, dividends, explore what you would want:
How risky are these options and what type of returns could I expect? 3-4%?
>>
>>1155096
Define a lot. Low, medium, or high six figures? Seven figures? That obsessiveness seems like a good trait. I don't know, I probably won't go into trading myself. But is possible for me to find a lender or firm and give them my money for them to give to traders?
>>
>>1155020
>not rare to make $100k/year with $200k of investments
>50 fucking percent return per year
it seems like you haven't learn much from your learning career
>>
>>1155020
>If it's not rare to make $100k/year with $200k of investments
nah man it's not rare at all to make 50% returns.

youre going to lose literally everything. idiot.
>>
>>1155121
>>1155130
I was specifically talking about day trading. If 100k isn't likely with 200k in cash, then please tell me the average returns for a day trading moving 200k of money.
>>
>>1155121
>>1155130
hay gusy are penny stocks a good investment?
>>
>>1155137
> the average returns for a day trading

the average day trader LOSES MONEY. god damnit, you are so stupid. but i'm sure you think you're above average so go ahead and buy some technical analysis snake oil bullshit training program so you can lose your money. idiot.

https://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/odean/papers/Day%20Traders/Day%20Trading%20and%20Learning%20110217.pdf

>The most experienced day traders lose money and over half of all day
trading can be traced to traders with a history of losses. Persistent trading in the face of
losses is inconsistent with models of rational learning. So, too, is the decision to try day trading when ex-ante expected lifetime profits are negative. For prospective day traders,
“trading to learn” is no more rational or profitable than playing roulette to learn.
>>
>>1155137
>>1155149

But if you average the people on the robinhood general than you have over 50% success rate with a good amount of people (me included) making a lot of fucking money.

OP, do a ton of research yourself, get a stock simulator for a couple weeks, dip into the robinhood general here, and reevaluate. Most traders lose money because they think with their emotions and don't treat the game like a game.
>>
>>1155030
Cuck.
>>
File: TraitsOfMoney.png (194KB, 660x393px) Image search: [Google]
TraitsOfMoney.png
194KB, 660x393px
>>1155049
It's pretty easy to know to edge against all that bullshit, Bitcoin is the way to go.

Granted to make big gains in 3 months, screen cap me etc.
>>
>>1155000
If you are good a numbers that is a plus. I'd personally wait until things come back down and buy up/hold. But for short term gains it is all in timing and how well you execute your orders. I also personally believe that you will get ass raped by the robots because they own this shit now.

"Do what thou wilt."
>>
>>1155181
>But if you average the people on the robinhood general than you have over 50% success rate with a good amount of people (me included) making a lot of fucking money.

youre delusional. go ahead, waste your money. ignore papers like the one i posted. yup, i'm sure you'll be one of the very few that make money off day trading. it's practically written in the stars.
>>
>>1155212

I've made 30% over 6 months though
>>
>>1155215
no one is saying that you cant get luck and make short term gains. over the long run nearly every day trader will lose money.
>>
>>1155228

I don't understand how 6 months is short term, since I can repeat and improve on what I've been doing. Now I average around 1% per day, but I mostly do short holds of 2-4 weeks. It's ridiculous to think that you can't make long-term money this way.
>>
>>1155235
yeah i guess berkeley is full of shit when they analyzed a decade of day trading and concluded that the VAST MAJORITY day traders lose money. let me know how your ingenious day trading scheme is working in another 6-12 months.
>>
>>1155237

I'll keep you posted.
>>
>>1155215
Neat. Now repeat it for 20 years.
>>
>>1155237
Is this true of everyone who invests in the stockmarket or just daytraders?
>>
>>1155262
Active traders. Read the paper posted. Or read any number of the studies done on indexing vs active management.

The basic premise is regression to the mean.
>>
>>1155275
I'm a tad skeptical of the Taiwanese one. I lived there for a while and most of the population believe in 福 (fortune) and other such bullshit. I once had a Taiwanese woman tell me a stock she bought rising was the work of the divine.

Apparently after they introduced the receipt lottery stock market volume went down by something like 20%, so a huge amount of people are essentially just retards gambling.
>>
>>1155048
Why do you live with your parents?
>>
>>1155181
>But if you average the people on the robinhood general than you have over 50% success rate
my sides
>>
daily dose for daytrading wannabes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrW97TqWeAw
>>
>Assume I keep $164,000 in savings
1% per year
>use the remaining $200,000 for day trading
-$200,000 long term

Just put everything into 60/40 equity/fixed income split and retire.
>>
>>1155237
I'd be pretty skeptical of any studies regarding day trading.
First off, it hasn't existed in it's current form for very long at all, simply because it used to not be accessible for shit to the average guy sitting at home. Unregulated commissions, slow (or no) internet, and the like made it all but impossible for the vast majority, it just wasn't feasible.
That means there's really jack shit for a sample size, unless you want to include every wannabe who trades before they go to work, or starts with $100.
Suitability. The lack of this clots up anything.
>>
File: 1456301640852.jpg (12KB, 474x595px) Image search: [Google]
1456301640852.jpg
12KB, 474x595px
>>1155000
>How much capital is needed to make 100-120k/year from day trading?

SOUNDS LIKE YOU CANT LOSE
>>
>>1155465
>First off, it hasn't existed in it's current form for very long at all, simply because it used to not be accessible for shit to the average guy sitting at home.
>That means there's really jack shit for a sample size
Really? This is your argument? Are you unaware of the fact that professional traders number in the tens of thousands? They ought to be a big enough sample size, and if they can't make money, what makes you think average joe has any chance to succeed as a trader?
>>
>>1155030
>Use it to start a business and get a house. Ideally find someone to settle down with too.
you have no idea how brainwashed you sound
>>
File: 1453096524394.png (40KB, 152x254px) Image search: [Google]
1453096524394.png
40KB, 152x254px
>>1155080
>>1155185
>>1155697
Oh look, the sour grapes NEET's are here.
>>>/r9k/
>>
File: 1398912086792.jpg (43KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
1398912086792.jpg
43KB, 403x403px
>>1155000
Man, you start day trading and you will lose it all. Go with low risk investments with high yields like non-shitcoins in crypto.
Ethereum was the last surefire way to get a great yield, and now Pepecoin is gonna get huge. Got big names behind it, even the Vitalik from ethereum is talking about it.
You wanna make serious gains without losing every fucking dime to bullshit, toss some in pepecoin and see what I'm talking about. Hope to see you on the moon with me /biz/bro
>>
>>1155689
>big enough sample size
This refers to length of trading history (of which any day traders have relatively little, by definition. See >>1155465), not "number of traders".
It's hard to form an accurate conclusion with that
little data.
But feel free to.
>>
>>1155030

Didn't even read full post, fuck you.

I live with my parents and I'm in my 30's as well. If you get along with your parents and you care about their well-being, and you're not currently in a relationship with anyone, living with your folks can be the most beneficial route for everyone.

The "self-respect" you describe is arrogant and inefficient.
>>
>want to start day trading with 200k
>thats more than 50% savings
>ask 4chan for help
>>
>>1155733
No? That's the most pathetic and shameful form of existence I can think of. Try to justify it all you want, but I'd rather be homeless than live off mommy and daddy as a grown man.
>>
>>1155736
I'm not asking for help, BUT I do come here to spot stocks that I've never heard of that some anon is spouting.

Some times its helpful, others I don't agree.

$47,500 starting.

I'll post results later.
>>
>only has 360k by age 34 when he has no wife or kids
>daytrading
>wants to make 1-200k annually from daytrading

8/10 got all these replies
>>
>>1155000
you will lose your ass. Put it all in an S&P 500 index fund and just keep working at whatever you did to make it.
>>
>>1155827

and thats why you will be faggot
>>
>>1155704
ok pops
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.