[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ask someone who quit 65k job anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: securedownload[1].jpg (231KB, 1531x1024px) Image search: [Google]
securedownload[1].jpg
231KB, 1531x1024px
First time posting on this board. Just put in my two weeks for my first job out of college. Worked there for 2 1/2 years, moving through the tiers of technical support, up to being a Service Engineer, installing our software for clients, configuring shit for them, and training.

It came to the point where I honestly couldn't take it anymore. As much as people always complimented me on my training and work ethic, I was dying inside. I'm naturally introverted, and it was essentially 2+ years of me forcing myself to push on just for the experience.

Graduated with a BS in Comp Sci.

It was a software company that makes tools to help administer Microsoft SharePoint, big gold partner. All I know, is that I do not want to make consulting work my career. I'm going to look for something more Administrative and internal to a company. Maybe a SharePoint Admin based on my experience with it, or something else in the direction of IT.

Don't have anything else lined up because I have a ton of savings since I lived with my parents for 2 years, so I'm taking this time to really think about what I want to do, rather than just going with the flow and where the money was.

Any advice? I have an MCSA in Office 365, Had A+, but that expired. Have 2+ years of experience working with windows server, sharepoint, and doing consulting/support.
>>
>>1150189
kind of a scary time to drop a decent paying job for a different career path, but what do I know
>>
>>1150189
do you enjoy working with enterprise-y stuff? all that microsoft for example
>>
>>1150216
Really not sure. What scares me a bit, is that the past few years I've wanted more and more to just work with my hands, travel, and do something that would leave me physically exhausted rather than mentally at the end of the day.

I look at construction jobs, and think of how satisfying that would feel. I look at things where I have to be outside and working, and think that if money were no object, I would do something like that. But this is real life, and I need to make a living in NYC.

Straight up, I have about 35k in my bank account, about 11k in my 401k, and 9k in another, old savings account from when I was a child. I feel like if I make some really smart moves, I'm in a great position to make investments and to try other stuff.

I do have an apartment however that costs 1300 a month. Include food and utilities without any frivolous stuff, Spending about 2k a month. So I do have a timer. A long one, but one none-the-less.
>>
>>1150230
i can feel to that. when i finish my software engineering studies i'd like to move somewhere warmer and try out being a daytrader or web dev freelancer and contribute to interesting open source projects on github.

however, i also have a vision where i work for some big ass bank in one of those really tall buildings in nyc. (coming from a rather small european country nyc seems absolutely huge.) is it really as soul-draining as they say, working in nyc?
>>
>>1150251
You need to have the personality for it. If you're good at talking to others and acting professional, and got a good head on your shoulders, once you get IN, you can definitely make big bucks.

At the same time, it's very easy to fall into a job where you're making all this money and you don't want to quit, but your 9 - 5 (or 9 - 6 like my job) is hell.

I've lived in NYC all my life, so I'm used to other aspects of the city that new people moving here complain about. The hectic public transportation, the noise, everyone seeming like they're in a rush, etc. I love it because there's always something going on; always something to see and do, but again, it takes a certain personality.
>>
>>1150255
alright! i do have the opportunity to do my last year of school in nyc, so i might just do that. the fact that the city is constantly in a rush fascinates me. and all the good music and concerts, woooo.

i dont think i have any good advice to give. all i know is i cant stand ground for a week without the feeling that something must happen. you mentioned working with your hands, so you should check out >>>/diy/ for some inspo

if you're bored it could be wise to try out something new. if you decide to go travel for a while, i dont think you'll have to worry for a second about being outdated/not getting a job when you get back - even if you decide to stay away for over a year. i think most IT people are driven by knowledge and enjoy learning new things, solving problems etc, which implies that for an IT-guy, drinking piƱa colada at a pool will be boring after two days and you will automatically be back-on-track after taking a shorter or longer vacation
>>
>>1150189
Why has it taken you so long too achieve so little?
>>
>>1150357
Fuck you, but you know what, this question is legit. It still hit me hard as fuck, right in the feels. I'm stealing it from you. Not OP, but in similar situation.
>>
I just did the same, OP. However, it was because I sold my stake in a company to an investor. Now living NEET life and need to find a full-time gig.
>>
>>1150390
Similar? As in achieved fuck all, but paid a lot more then the cucks you know with Marketing, English and other shit useless degrees? You're staring in the mirror if you think that matters. Everyday I work with Chinese, Indians, East Europeans, etc. all cheap to employ and smart as fuck. You'll be on the heap soon enough and wondering why you didn't pull your head out of your ass when you had the chance instead navel gazing like a self-indulgent cunt.
>>
>>1150189
i hope you don't own any guns buddy, because six months from now you'll be thinking of using it on your head on a daily basis.
>>
>>1150189
Did you go to a state school or a private one? what was your GPA? How easy did you find it to get the job that you did? Asking because my little bro is in high school and I think he should major in Comp sci when he gets to college, give me some advice to pass on to him.
>>
Once a corporate IT slave always a corporate IT slave. No it never gets better whether you're internal, vendor, consultant, doesn't matter (consultant is actually the best of the three since you have the freedom to walk out on a really terrible client, also you can bill by the hour). It sucks but is better than breaking your back in the heat laying asphault all day for $9/hr. Just go get another office tech monkey job and save your salary, maybe in 10 years you can buy some equipment and open your own little landscaping business.
>>
>>1150216
Not OP but working with that digital vomit is soul crushing for skilled programmers. On the one hand, it's fragile and opaque. On the other, people pay through the nose for it while poormouthing at developers expected to polish that turd.
>>
>>1150453
Do it. My GPA at the end of college was like 3.002. Physics and Math might be difficult if you're not good at them (which is what brought mine down from 4.0), but I got this job 3 months after graduating.

Tell him to spend his time wisely. First two years, get grounded and focus on your studies. Last 2 years, work with the college to get internships. Experience, experience, experience. Do things you can put on a resume other than "graduation".
>>
I quit a 64k tech job in 2014 for similar reasons, primarily due to the effects of corporate feminism on working conditions, in order to do the job "their way" you have to effectively not do your job but instead become a vapid robot like they are.

Installing sat and cable TV is pretty decent and in a few years I'll be making what I used to and get to work outside, drive around, raise ladders, manly work I do like it, never to be outsourced or red taped away.
>>
>>1150431
Salt, salt everywhere. Just cause you couldn't hack it STEM there is no need to take your anger out on everybody else. Go spend a day in disney land you raging fgt.

P.S.
Noones gonna pay you a buck more just cause you got a US passport and a 300 lb gut.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.