[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do atheists like to pretend they have morals? Morals come

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.
The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 9

File: 1486882320140.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1486882320140.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
Why do atheists like to pretend they have morals?
Morals come from religion, atheists just mimic having it.
If you're an atheist there is no argument why you simply wouldn't just kill all the poor people there is no benefit to having surplus billions of them, aside from trying to mimic a religious person and pretend like you think killing people is wrong when you have no belief system to support the argument.
>>
Will I take the bait? Yes I will.

Religion and morals aren't mutually exclusive. I can feel that killing another person is bad, simply because that's a waste of potential, eh?
>>
File: cat_beard.jpg (46KB, 500x643px) Image search: [Google]
cat_beard.jpg
46KB, 500x643px
>>722688155
>Morals come from religion
How did we survive before religion existed? Wouldn't we have just killed each other until the species ceased to exist?
>>
>>722688928
>Religion and morals aren't mutually exclusive.
Yes, it is.
>I can feel that killing another person is bad, simply because that's a waste of potential, eh?
Potential for what? If you couldn't immorally profit off their potential if you could get away with it you'd want them dead.
>>
Op is a faggot not for his retard bait agrument but his abomination of a picture
>>
>>722688155
You have it backward OP, morals inform religion, not the other way around. Religion was invented to make people toe the line because of sociopaths like yourself who need a man in the sky to keep them in line.
>>
>>722688155
>you have no belief system to support the argument
How about social contract? You don't kill me, and I don't kill you. Also known as the golden rule.
>>
>>722689800
Bullshit. Accept the love of Christ or I'll beat it into you!
>>
>>722689906
>the golden rule
>written by jesus
>checkmate atheists
>>
>>722688155
I would think that a true religifag would think that morals come from god, nor from religion.

Bad troll. Try harder.
>>
File: e9d.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
e9d.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>
>>722689906
The social contract came from and was enforced by religious people.
Atheists mimic this capacity which they lack to avoid exclusion from resources.
>>
Bate
>>
>>722689999
Nice get. Thank you baby jesus.
>>
ill bite

in the words of bo burnham, "who needs a thousand metaphors to figure out you shouldn't be a dick"
>>
File: what.jpg (17KB, 326x352px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
17KB, 326x352px
>>722690089
>Atheists mimic this capacity which they lack
>atheists can't do it
>but they do it
>>
>>722688155

Aristotle is pretty much the father of moral philosophy and he was nkot a religious man...most definity not a Christian.

likewise, religion has established many norms/rules that are simply amoral and have nothing to do with right v wrong
>>
File: 1487223304618.png (295KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1487223304618.png
295KB, 2000x2000px
>>722688155
>>
>>722688155
>If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother, and that, when they have chastened him, will not hearken unto them... ...all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die

-Deuteronomy 21:18-21
>>
>>722688155

take a break from "trollin the chinz" and read The Metaphysics of Morals by Immanuel Kant

>inb4 ha ha Kunt
>>
>>722690375
They only do it for 2 reasons
1st They do it until they believe they can get away uncaught
2nd it's part of their ego trip- the capacity for god is replaced with egocentric megalomania so it's only shown to attempt to provoke a sense of respect out of other people but is quickly abandoned when not suiting their own purpose
>>
>>722690932
His name is an anagram of I'm Manual Kunt. I know it's a terrible anagram, but I just noticed this.
>>
>>722691111
You could just as easily make the same argument against religious people. They lack morality so they need to use religious doctrines to convince themselves not to kill others.
>>
>>722690823
Oh looky looky, an atheist is suddenly against abortions. That's not at all supportive of my argument that you only adopt a mimicry of morality when it suits your purposes.
>>
I don't know shit about shit, but aren't religious people responsible for millions of deaths throughout history?
>>
>>722691459
This is why I don't hate on religion. Some people need it just to keep them from descending into complete savagery.
>>
File: 772.jpg (53KB, 597x519px) Image search: [Google]
772.jpg
53KB, 597x519px
>>722690932
>take a break from "trollin the chinz"
Philosophy is for students that couldn't make it in STEM
>>
>>722691545
Don't look at me, I'm in favor of capital punishment AND abortion, so I'm totally consistent.
>>
Religious people generally lack a lot of the traits that humans find interesting and attractive. They are rarely creative or innovative, they rarely rebel and they are usually pretty annoying.
>>
>morality and religion are tied together

nope, different religions have different moral codes, morality is separate from religion
>>
>>722691765
It really seemed like you were trying to make a point against it.
>>
>>722691831
Most innovations in science and technology came from religious people.
>>
>>722691734
Or for STEM students who are actually interesting people.
>>
>>722691875
Wasn't me, son.
>>
>>722688155
>Why do atheists like to pretend they have morals?
Why do morals stem from religion?
>>
Morality is somewhat tied to empathy. We are empathetic animals and we can generally sense when a shitty thing is happening to a fellow human. We realize that it would suck if we were in their shoes so we instinctively try to alleviate that pain, or protect each other from it.

We don't do REALLY bad shit to each other unless there is something wrong with us.
>>
>>722691932
Nah. I think most of those folks were 'religious' because society demanded it. Hell, do far enough back and you were completely ostracized or even killed if you didn't love God.
>>
>>722691932
Citation needed.
>>
>>722692246
Thus why atheist fake having morals, religious people had to protect themselves from them. Irreligious barbarians inflict the worse savagery to people for simply having a different belief then them.
>>
>>722689156
I wouldn't kill someone for any monetary gain and i'm an atheist. Just couldn't have that on my conscience. End of story.
>>
>>722692326
Exactly.

Great minds are generally too curious about the universe to believe in bullshit. Anybody with a knack for critical thinking will give up on religion before they are even out of their teens.
>>
>>722692326
Einstein, Newton, Darwin, all of them, every major scientist in the last few centuries has been religious.
>>
>>722688155
Fuck your bait faggot.
>>
>>722692514
Are you serious? For thousands of years years religious people have been the majority. Why would they need to 'protect themselves'?
>>
>>722692629
Just because you couldn't pray the gay away doesn't mean you gotta hate on religion.
>>
>>722692606
They just seem like living standards. Everybodies raised by some beliefs. Including Athiests. Even if the atiests parents didnt believe in any religion, their grandparents mustve. Morals are taught, not mandatory for heaven.
>>
>>722692746
They only became a majority because of protectionist policies from savages and other barbarians whom lacked morals and common decency. Are you seriously going to try and argue pagans didn't do all sorts of heinous slaughters constantly throughout history?
>>
>>722692606
Newton maybe. Einstein was spiritual, but his religion was lip service. Darwin belives in God, but thought most of the bible was simply storytelling and metaphor.

Do your research before you make up facts.
>>
>>722692761
I love Jesus. I want to bust a nut in his beard.
>>
>>722692902
Not at all. People are people. However pagans never perfected slaughter and genocide as efficiently as Christianity. I can respect that about you guys.
>>
As a believer, I find this idea to be pretty much BS.
Man, as a creature (which we believe was created by God in his image) has the capacity for good and evil.
There are Atheists that I know who are some of the kindest, loving , selfless people I know. They fit the"criteria" of what most people think Christians are like. But they aren't believers. In God or anything else of a spiritual nature. What they do believe is that the right thing to do, is to do what's right. Regardless.

Where I think the misconception comes in, is when we look at morals, and good & bad, we mistake that for what Christianity calls righteousness. Man is a fallen creature and we are stained with sin. Because of that we are not pure, or righteous before God (who is completely Holy and divine). We, as fallen creatures still do good. We still can have morals, and we can still live good lives even though we are still in a sinful condition.

Jesus, Paul and several other writers have pointed out that man does have the capacity for good (and of course, the flip side, evil), but we lack the ability to be righteous.
But that's whole other topic of discussion for another time.
>>
Milkdude.
>>
>>722692911
Pfft a person lacking any religion criticizing someone else's practice of God as lacking. Sorry but all the smartest people in the world have been religious and you'd have to cherry pick a very, very small minority that are a statistical fluke for examples that were not.
>>
>>722688155
>morals come from religion
Right here is where you fucked up. That's not how that works.
>>
>>722688155
Morals come from evolutionary instinct. Religion only enforced it with fear. We don't need that when we have law enforcement. Atheist might have existential crisis but that won't make them suicidal murderers as you can't just tell your fear to fuck off. It is a very evolutionary behavior within our core. Christians and Muslims have been commiting immoral acts in the name of morals since its dawn.
>>
>>722693505
How do you know I'm not religious? Because I don't practise YOUR religion?

Weak dude. You should be ashamed of yourself.
>>
>>722693988
Why would I be ashamed of myself this bait has been working wonders?
>>
>>722693414
Man, I wish people weren't so into Christianity. It has the roots of a decking wicked fantasy series but people get all pissy if you present it as such.
>>
>>722694120
Wait a minute... YOU ARENT A CHRISTIAN AT ALL! Let's burn him!
>>
>>722688155
>>
>>722694262
I am a Catholic.
>>
File: 1469130272273.jpg (62KB, 685x474px) Image search: [Google]
1469130272273.jpg
62KB, 685x474px
>>
>>722694376
I've always wondered why dawkins was so anti-religious
did he get diddled as a kid or something?
>>
>>722694392
Oh cool, the most boring of the Christian religions.
>>
>>722694745
I guess he may have been, sure.

I think he was simply a dude who was frustrated in his youth that so much if the world was blind to the truth, and he hated bullies. He genuinely wanted to help people. He got old and prickish about it all though.
>>
>>722695141
The bible isn't boring though. You can see first hand how little morality atheist have had historically just reading it and reading a modern news paper and seeing nothings really changed much for atheists.
>>
>>722695833
Things are getting better for atheists all the time! You should be happy for them.
>>
>>722696183
It's a bit of a wonder that things are getting better for them when they're the major source of problems for themselves, and everyone else most of the time.
>>
>>722695833
True, I never said the bale is boring though, just modern Catholicism. You poor bastards have to deal with continuos scandals about child abuse though, so I guess maybe that's exciting for you.
>>
>>722696471
Yeah, it is a bit of a wonder, but God works in mysterious ways.
>>
Here are the six countries where atheists are the majority.

China. China has by far the highest percentage - almost half - of convinced atheists out of all the world's countries. ...

Japan. ...

Czech Republic. ...

France. ...

Australia. ...

Iceland.
>>
I've always wondered the same thing. Doesn't make sense to me that someone would do good for the sake of good. All reasons to do good if not because of religion should be for personal gain. Otherwise why do it?
>>
>>722697835
For the strength and propagation of our species.
>>
>>722691111
>evangelists aren't egocentric
Ok. Go ask mom for your tendies, now.
>>
>>722698026
Why do you care though? Maybe its because im borderline robot but I personally dont care if everyone on the planet died tomorrow
>>
>>722689999
The quads have spoken
>>
>>722689967
Jesus couldn't write or even read. Read the bible.
>>
>>722691979
Are you implying that Bill Nye isn't interesting?
>>>/out/
>>
>>722698160
Well yeah, a shit load of people have become sociopathic. Largely because we have become a species that sort of denies that we are animals and tries to have a society.

Plus, theirs a difference between 'doing good' and 'not doing bad'.
>>
Im christrian but that doesnt stop me from killing people
>>
>>722698336
But he was a carpenter! Don't he read measurments?

I guess he might have been a really shitty carpenter. The bible isn't clear on that.
>>
atheists have mental superiority over anyone who believes in relgion
>>
>>722688155
What were the crusades for 800, Alex.
>>
>>722698470
Can you honestly explain though why you wouldnt commit a crime you could 100% get away with? I wouldnt because of religion and the morals i have because of it but if i didn't I can only imagine the horrors i would commit just because
>>
>>722698890
That's scary as hell dude. Are you saying that you would murder someone if your religion allowed it?

For me, there are some crimes I would,certainly commit if I could get away with it. Like many atheists I have my own moral code of sorts. Would I steal cable? Sure! Would I kill a guy? No way.
>>
>>722698890
I think what you are having trouble grasping (if you aren't just a troll) is that atheists and agnostics have a much bigger personal responsibility than religious people. We have to slowly sort out what works and what doesn't for our own feelings of morality and that can be extremely difficult, but ultimately rewarding. Our morals are worth more to us because we had to discover them.

Yours are just handed to you in a guidebook.
>>
>>722699200
Thats my point though why is it scary? im not trying to be some tough guy i just dont feel emotions like im assuming you do. So yeah i would kill if it suited me and my religion didnt hold me back because honestly why not? if i die and thats that no afterlife than should't i live soley for myself? If in the end nothing matters than why do anything for the sake of morality? Thats why i dont understand athiest because they generally do have a moral code. Its their own though meaning it can change just because. If i base my morals on something higher than me then I have to follow them whether i want to or not.
>>
>>722699699
By why? and im not trying to be a troll i think its crazy interesting to hear why you do what you do. Why do you care about morals though if the only reason you follow them is because you want to? seems like life would be more enjoyable do whatever you want
>>
>>722699950
Well when you put it that way then I fully support you having a set of rules that you can't change. I'd rather not have some guy out there murdering a dude who cuts him off in traffic.
>>
>>722688155
Spiderman. Where are you when we need you?
>>
>>722700134
Well I can't speak for all atheists obviously, but I'm a huge fan of people in general. I don't live so let for myself and I live to empower others to achieve greatness where they can. For me, hurting a person in anyway is erasing potential for greatness.
>>
The fact that someone's religion is the only thing stopping them from committing atrocities is a problem on its own. Secondly atheists tend to be the more reasonable people between them and religious nuts..I don't kill people cause I believe it is wrong, you don't kill because a book tells you not to. I don't rape people cause it is wrong, you don't rape cause a book told you not to. So in the end my moralitycomes from common sense while yours comes from abook that has been re written hundreds of thousands of times all by different people, who heard it from another years after the supposed events happend..
>>
>>722688155
Morals come from philosophical evaluations you retard. Ever heard of the categorical imperative?
>>
>>722700169
>>722700440
Thats my point in a nutshell though. Why is it wrong? I say its wrong because of the bible, you say its wrong because you've just arbitrarily deemed it wrong. If all men are created equal then anyone's opinion on this is equal meaning simply by having someone decide its not wrong it isnt.
>>
>>722700660
That's the thing though, it's not arbitrary. The simple fact that all of us can agree that killing is 'wrong' is based on observation. If every bible was wiped out never rewritten, people wouldn't just start murdering each other over nothing. No matter what, we as individuals will always deem murder as wrong.
>>
>>722700660
Going even further (and allowing room for,your beliefs) why does God say that murde is wrong? Why does he not want humans to do it?
>>
>>722701152
Most would agree not all though. Plenty of people throughout history have murdered and not seen it as wrong. >>722701267
Honestly man i have no idea. it doesnt say why it just says not too. Same for a lot of things, the bible doesnt give reasons it gives rules.
>>
>>722688155
empathy you fucking moron
>>
>>722701454
Okay well just try to think of it this way. God decided killing is wrong, so it stands to reason that if he made us in his image, maybe we can decide that for ourselves too.
>>
>>722702156
Humans are fickle though. Just because some, even most, decide its wrong doesn't mean humans haven't also decided countless atrocities were ok. I got class in the morning so i should head to bed but thanks for trying to explain your reasoning. It doesn't make sense but im sure neither does my view to you.
>>
>>722688155
I'll bite.

Morals is just another term for Standards. Everyone has standards.
>>
File: B7ayibbCIAAH5nn.jpg (76KB, 600x586px) Image search: [Google]
B7ayibbCIAAH5nn.jpg
76KB, 600x586px
Why we still got monkeys.
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.