[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mag/ - Martial arts general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 310
Thread images: 64

File: 1489316999876.png (126KB, 560x447px) Image search: [Google]
1489316999876.png
126KB, 560x447px
Previous >>2740595
Go to 4chan.org/feedback and complain edition

Find an MMA Gym in the USA: http://www.findmmagym.com/

Styles of fighting:
http://www.ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and help:
http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

Beware the MCDOJOS:
http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:
•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•At least one participant competes at amateur or professional level
•Physical conditioning part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning

>YOUTUBE CHANNELS ON FIGHTING
https://www.youtube.com/user/LawrenceKenshin
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVfmHpXONv-LVACBV68tq5Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3zMJRgefZm7ELHkIp-xDA
https://www.youtube.com/user/GracieBreakdown
https://www.youtube.com/user/StephanKesting
https://www.youtube.com/user/CombatSportsTapes
>>
>>2745867
>go complain
We are legion
>>
File: Immanuel Kant.jpg (118KB, 294x371px) Image search: [Google]
Immanuel Kant.jpg
118KB, 294x371px
>go to doc for elbow issues
>double golf elbow
>fml
>>
File: 1472321579629-pol.jpg (10KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
1472321579629-pol.jpg
10KB, 224x225px
>tfw tapped a blue belt that usually crushes me
>>
What are MMA fighters training to give them an edge these days?
>>
>>2747092
Goju Karate: the original MMA.
>>
>>2747092
are you asking what the current meta in MMA is?

in terms of striking? grappling? moves? tactics? techniques?
>>
>>2747114
Anything you got.
>>
>>2747092
Weight cutting. If you've got nutritional counseling and support, you can have a weight cut that doesn't give you horrible headaches, fainting spells, stomach issues or kidney problems.

Mind, you're still dehydrated, killing yourself long term and cutting 25+ lbs, but maybe you'll recover better than the poorfag who avoids salt and chews ice in the final week.
>>
How come my elbow (joints) start popping/cracking/hurting when throwing crosses? I'm trying to rotate my hips and use my shoulder but the extension seems like it's going to pop out of my arm.
>>
>>2747344
u wot m8 ?
>>
File: UaLZhiq.jpg (121KB, 2168x1066px) Image search: [Google]
UaLZhiq.jpg
121KB, 2168x1066px
>>2747194
>killing yourself long term
Is that what McGregor was doing to himself? Is cutting weight really worth your life?
>>
>>2747383
I believe he cut from above 170lbs. RDA cut from above 180lbs. It pretty much puts strain on your kidneys and heart to begin with, so above average fitness is holding you up.

Everyone does it trying to copy boxers (who at least are cardio machines at the high level) or highschool wrestlers (who do stupid shit to enter their weight class).
>>
>>2747564
>people weight cut to copy boxers and wrestlers
What the fuck is this autism? It's to have a size advantage over people who cut less weight.
>>
>>2747569
The methodology. Eat less+run more works for boxers (and thais) who have cardio and can spar light. Crash diet+sauna works for highschoolers who don't know better.
>>
>>2747362
elbow hurt when punch
>>
>>2747092
>>2747139
The major trend in the meta in terms of grappling is the closed guard and submissions from the back in general are becoming more and more rare to land.

Its due to people improving their sub defense and the current roster of grapplers who are more top heavy oriented.

A lot of BJJ guys have been trying to implement high level BJJ meta such as leg locks but its mix results to almost unfavorable results with the success of leg locks

There was a thread on the UG or sherdog that had the exact stats of submissions from like 2012 to 2016 but besides the RNC and guillotine all other submissions are on the decline for success

The most successful guards are the guards used for reversals and sweeping which are half guard and butterfly guard

another major trend is probably the use of wrestler's leg rides to control the pacing of grappling, scrambles, etc

Most TDD revolves around not sprawling but controlling underhook/over hook
tl;dr Most current MMA fighters are training
1) half guard/butterfly guard for reversals to stand up

2)RNC/Guillotine for most successful sub finish

3) Pummeling for sub defense.

4)Leg riding for offensive and defensive plays
>>
>>2747716
very interesting post thanks
>>
>>2747716
>>
>>2747726
>>
>>2747716
Forgot to add that currently the single leg and its finishes are more in favor then the double leg takedown. Which is funny because about 5 years ago you had so many people swearing that the single leg was a worthless move in MMA (i recall fighters like Chael Sonnen, Dan Henderson talking about that) and now you have so many people use the single leg to chain grapple into back takes, half guard, and other combos.
>>
>>2747344
How long have you've been training? Maybe you're overextending your elbows and straining the tendons
>>
>>2747599
Why don't fighters just maintain a normal weight between a 5lb range?

Its bullshit how these fighters can dehydrate themselves into a lower weight class and the next day they are a heavier weight class
>>
>>2747747
Training isn't full time, disciplined diet is hard and lack of oversight, basically. Competitive anything will be forced to push the envelope by its culture.

A promotion, ONE, has their own system. But they basically make their own rules because there's no comission. It can still be gamed unless a random check catches you.
http://fightland.vice.com/blog/one-championship-mma-to-ban-dehydration-and-make-weight-cutting-more-humane
>>
>>2747100

Never heard of pankration, eh?

>>2747736

That "single leg fight" in your webm was boring as hell though.

>>2747747
>>2747929

Seriously, I would never cut weight.
I'd rather get in a higher group and lose.
So what if you lose?

I just think it isn't worth it, this whole top-level athletes game is stupid as hell. When I look at my Judo colleagues with fucked up joints at the age of 30, I'm glad I never did higher competition. Fuck that shit.
>>
You think an MMA champion could beat the shit out of animals like crocodiles or cassowaries?
>>
>>2747092
Crowd Entertainment-Fu. Seriously. If the UFC thinks your fighting style isn't entertaining the crowd, and you don't handle your opening matches very well, they may very well break up your contract.

As in: don't grapple too much, unless you do spectacular shit.

>>2747716
Glad to see you're still around.
>>
File: 1pj2iu.gif (3MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
1pj2iu.gif
3MB, 360x202px
>>2747736
It's way too much effort to lift someone off the ground just to have them get back up.
>>
>>2748360
Which champion?
>>
>>2749178
Any
>>
>>2747929
I've been around amateur fighters, they constantly train year round when not injured and take any opportunity to fight when available, which could be anywhere from once a month to a few times a year. All of them still go through a cut where they starve and dehydrate themselves before the weigh in.

If you're training year around and are getting fights, I don't understand why they don't stay within a 5lb range instead of cutting 10+ lbs before a fight.
>>
File: anderson-1.jpg (103KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
anderson-1.jpg
103KB, 1000x666px
>>2748360
>>2749178
>>2749360

What animals do you guys think Anderson Silva could beat?
>>
File: Ultimate Showdown.jpg (56KB, 1116x421px) Image search: [Google]
Ultimate Showdown.jpg
56KB, 1116x421px
Giant African Snail vs Nick Diaz.
Who win?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WgT9gy4zQA
>>
>>2750140
Giant African Snail because Nick Diaz is a vegetarian.
>>
>>2750601
>because Nick Diaz is a vegetarian.
Do you think he knows what this means?

>Nigga I ain't come for the beef you ain't know she came for the skeet? Got pipe for the cheeks. Fuck that bitch, she ain't gotta eat

I think he might know because maybe he knows something about what this beef is that people seem to dislike so much, since he's a vegetarian and doesn't like meat, and beef is a meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEMsjeq43_U
>>
>>2748150
Well i hope i can explain the details in such a way that maybe with some new insight you can appreciate the great technique, and then when action like this happens you can appreciate and become more entertained during offensive plays like this.

In the span of this 30 second webm there is a chain of offensive that involves at least 4 different takedowns and i think 5 to 6 takedown finishers.

In the opening 2 seconds you see Frankie edgar attempt a snatch single from the front headlock
Stephen sets up his defensive play and smashes weight down onto Edgar's head/neck, in a split second, you see Edgar go in for another takedown attempt where he does a shooting motion, he attempts to readjust his angle and tries for a swing single , Stephen is set up for a new defensive set and his back is flushed against the wall (which acts as a 3rd leg/post for balance)

Edgar because he does a swing single, his foot work (and body position) is now perpendicular /to the side of Stephens, You see Edgar step over Stephen's leg and lift for a high crotch finish, he doesn't feel the balance is off/kuzushi so he reaches for a half second for a double leg but then readjust for a stronger high c grip.

Edgar snakes his high c grip into a rear naked choke grip, which gives him an insane amount of leverage to finish his high c, you see the end and the moment of off balance/kuzushi with Stephens being lifted
>>2749175
You're right its why leg rides and back takes are surging so much in the current UFC meta
Fighters and trainers are getting wise that even with a strong blast double or single its a waste of energy for their fighter to expand if they just wind up losing the scramble and dominate position
>>
File: Pramek forward roll.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Pramek forward roll.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
What does everyone think of this kind of modified forward roll?

The idea is that it adds a sweeping motion so you don't end up rolling onto glass/rocks/your kid's legos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVMbWNxgkGU

Thoughts?
>>
>>2752400

Seems like it would be hard to execute safely at speed, especially if you don't have the chance to lean forward that far before hitting the ground. If you have to flip a bit in mid-air, the sweeping isn't going to happen.

But if you're sort of sitting/falling down into the roll, then sure.
>>
>>2752507
Here's another video. Apparently it's a Russian style of roll.

https://youtu.be/DyNizg9IR_4?t=5m49s
>>
>>2752400
I was going to say something, but >>2752507 covered it all I'd say.
>>
>>2752400
>The idea is that it adds a sweeping motion so you don't end up rolling onto glass/rocks/your kid's legos.
So your shoulder doesn't end up rolling onto glass/rocks/your kid's legos, but that could just be fixed with placement of your roll; the rest of your back would have an upswept surface to roll onto.
>>
>>2752400

Looks like a half arsed Judo roll, t.b.h.
Is it from a Systema dude?

I would not recommend it..

>>2752321

Thanks for the explanation.

I guess what I don't like is all that "fence play".
I know that it is a big part of MMA, but somehow it seems strange for me to use the wall as tactical tool for your takedowns.

It also seems to encourage stalling, just imagine how much faster the same moves would have been if they couldn't lean/press against the wall..

>>2748360

Crocodiles?
Depends on the setting.

In the water you are pretty much dead unless you can somehow survive getting tossed around under water for three minutes without air supply. There are people that survived that,but it's more about luck I guess..
On the land you just have to avoid the blazing fast shoot from under water.

You see, we humans are here because our bodies are pretty good for survival. People always are afraid of predators, but if people actually trained against them, we could kill a lot of them. Of course not bears, but if it's a trained fighter against a pitbull, I'd always bet on the human:
Because we can grapple! Let him bit your leg and break his legs, one by one. Try to get a rare naked choke, there is no way a dog can defend from that one. Just avoid getting dragged to the ground, protect your belly, dick and throat at all costs.
>>
File: Female Black Belt Karate Rapist.jpg (159KB, 620x823px) Image search: [Google]
Female Black Belt Karate Rapist.jpg
159KB, 620x823px
>proof Goju is based
>>
>Joe Rogan uses Muay Thai clinch until police show up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qWpppEa4AM
>>
File: lunapic_133980644241521_10.gif (2MB, 340x249px) Image search: [Google]
lunapic_133980644241521_10.gif
2MB, 340x249px
How the fuck do you fucking kick someone in the fucking head when you're in fucking in-fighting range? What the fuck? What kind of fucking angles do you have to be fucking fucking with with your fucking legs? What the absolute fuck do you fucking do with your fucking body to make it do that shit?
>>
>>2754596
what rule set are you fighting under? are takedowns allowed? if not its not worth the risk

if not you knee tap and pivot step and teep and jab them into the outside and land your head kick
>>
>>2754596
>lunapic_133980644241521_10.gif
Anyone train or do something like that?

>using an inside leg kick to counter an outside leg kick from the same leg
>>
tfw bjj gym doesnt do any basic shit and all we're drilling is spider guard passing and crazy single leg variations this whole month
>>
>>2755945
>single leg
at least your learning takedowns a lot of BJJ gyms dont even do that

what version of the single are you doing?
>>
>>2755953
calling them 'crazy variations' is a stretch. we're doing some where you swing your rear leg around for a outside reap. some where u stand-up and sweep other foot. some from arm drags and ankle picks ect

we do 20 minutes of standup randori and gripfighting before every class; I heard some gyms don't do any standup at all so I guess that's great
>>
bumperuni
>>
>>2754596

Kyokushin kicks have slightly different angles than Muay Thai kicks.

In Muay Thai you keep the leg loose and swing it in a big circle. In Kyokushin you start rather straight (like a knee strike) and add the angle later. It's difficult to describe with words, just look at youtube tutorials.
Both kicks have advantages and disadvantages and it's not completely different techniques, but rather details.

>>2755563

>using an inside leg kick to counter an outside leg kick from the same leg

I have successfully swept people off their feet with that technique.
>>
>>2753735
This guy gets it when it comes to dog fighting.
>>
>>2755563
Yes I do that often in savate, with a small step on the side, but the greater kicking distance helps. It's harder to do it against KB or MT practioner, except if they do a lot of small ,left
kicks (which they usually don't)
>>
File: bjj in the streets.gif (937KB, 550x400px) Image search: [Google]
bjj in the streets.gif
937KB, 550x400px
>>
File: Gun Kata.gif (1MB, 200x112px) Image search: [Google]
Gun Kata.gif
1MB, 200x112px
What do you guys think about Gun Kata?
>>
>>2745867
How come we don't have a discord?
>>
Whats the best fighting style to learn to beat the shit out of someone currently in the airforce?
>>
File: Testa-Article-Page-4.jpg (202KB, 731x995px) Image search: [Google]
Testa-Article-Page-4.jpg
202KB, 731x995px
Apparently Africans made a martial art based on biting and headbutting.

The question is: why?
>>
>>2757474
Your hands and feet are made of little bones.
>>
https://themaclife.com/featured-posts/floyd-mayweather-signs-deal-face-conor-mcgregor-historic-boxing-bout/
Confirmed for happening
>>
>>2757265

Overblown djibooty shooty.

Also you better ask here:
>>>/k/

>>2757474

What?
No, they just adapted it from the britbongs.

Never heard of the glasgow kiss?

>>2757859

McGregor won't know what hit him.
Or rather what clinched, pushed, evaded and slapped him..
>>
>>2757859
This will be fun
>>
>>2757859
I don't know which result would give better reactions but that's what I'm hoping for.
>>
File: 693465927.jpg (89KB, 663x960px) Image search: [Google]
693465927.jpg
89KB, 663x960px
anybody watch that alleged bruce lee sparring match?

it's interesting to have definitive proof that I could beat bruce lee in a fight. As expected he's stiff, open, and doesn't attack in combinations

now that was of course how everybody fought at that time. But for some kind of supposed visionary he sure looked like he was doing exactly what everyone else was doing. You can see from his posture he wouldn't be able to do anything if someone changed levels at him or blitzed down the pipe past that lead leg
>>
>>2758633
Post links, nigga.
>>
>>2759290

Maybe this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-GzHAvh0U4

>>2758633

Dude, you are missing the point on so many levels.

1) If we talk about the same video it's a sparring. Not a real match. That's a difference. Lee is not going "all out" because he easily dominates his opponents.

2) A match is (and always will be) defined by it's ruleset. You look at a standup fight and talk about grappling, that's nonsense. Today Lee would probably rather do something like K1, considering he is first and foremost a standup fighter.

3) Bruce Lee's JKD also included stuff like eskrima and fencing, so actually you would have to start at weapon distance for a fair comparison, eh?

4) Things have evolved a lot over that last decades. Hindsight is 20/20 and it's easy to nitpick, but hard to do everything right when creating something new.

5) Nobody ever said Bruce Lee was the best fighter ever. But he was open minded and thought about fighting a lot. His JKD is basically a predecessor of MMA, the whole philosophy is about "taking what works" from whatever style you can find and blend it into a well-balanced fighter with his special skill set. Which is basically the MMA philosophy.
It's also kind unfair to completely ignore the time. Back then you didn't just google what martial arts are there and then going to your local gym. It was all about going to a different town, finding out who was a good fighter and training with them. A lot more effort involved.
Yes, even back then there were people that only lived for fighting and spend their life becoming a great martial artist. Lee payed his bills with his acting skills, but he was a lifetime fan of martial arts and knew what he was talking about.
>>
>>2758633
Of course you could beat him! Just like the thousand youtube experts who describe in their comments everything wrong with the people on the video.

Poor Lee, according to the youtube experts, he couldn't beat a white belt kid.

Now, for serious.

>>2759535
I think this is the most interesting point about this film: we can have an idea about his skills (we know, for a fact, that h-he's fast!). but we still can't gauge the exact extend of his abilities. Every time they did contact, they stop and reset, so rather than looking a full out knife fight, we're looking some fencing encounter.

We do know now Bruce Lee could fight (so we can finally bury the "only an actor!" meme), but we still can't tell for sure if he was be the best fighter ever. Mere speculation based on the video, I honestly doubt it.

Looking at the film, it appears that more than one of the strikes from the sparring partner do connect, but because the light contact nature of the match, we can't say how much force was behind each strike. And the opposite is true too, we could say Bruce Lee was dominating in the points, but we can't tell for real if he could KO his opponent, or avoid being KO himself with some loose/lucky strike. All dozens points would go to waste if he got KO in the last round. Weak chin, anyone? It have stop cold lots of people from going pro. And we haven't entered into the MMA territory yet.

Going by the MMA ruleset, we don't know how he would deal with grappling. I don't remember him talking about it. I suppose he would have a really hard time avoiding being tackled and submitted or choked at first, but given his open mentality, it would be time before he incorporated at least some "anti-grappling" techniques. I don't think he would go all grappling, but at least learn some clinch and knee to stop tackles and escape.

I'm honestly very interested on watching a MMA fight with him, is a pity that will never happen.
>>
File: 1487469373349.png (1MB, 970x937px) Image search: [Google]
1487469373349.png
1MB, 970x937px
Hold the fucking phone. Do I have to literally buy a new belt every time I rank up?
>>
>there are actually armchair experts on /asp/ who think that Bruce Lee was a good fighter
I'd laugh if it wasn't so depressing. I'm surrounded by Wu's.
>>
>>2761043
For karate they give it to you at the end of the exam, but the exam itself costs
In bjj don't they have multiple ranks within each belt? If so you just add a stripe

>>2761048
Is Connor Mcgregor an armchair expert?
>>
>>2761064
How much do the exams cost?
>>
>>2761064
>Is Connor Mcgregor an armchair expert?
The only person in the UFC less trustworthy than him is Dana "Literally the Don King of MMA" White. The dude would dropkick his own son if it meant getting 500 more buys on a PPV.
>>
>>2761151
>The dude would dropkick his own son if it meant getting 500 more buys on a PPV.
That's not a bad tradeoff.
>>
>>2761048
>I'm surrounded by Wu's.
It's funny because you're a Wu.
>>
Mayweather is going to shoot for a double leg and then get disqualified.
>>
>>2745867

/mag/ are you interest on a kickboxing general on /asp/?

the general would be for not only commenting kickboxing and muay thai fights if not also to talk about training on striking.

the general would be on /asp/ because i think /sp/ would be too fast for the general.
>>
>>2761947
there used to be generals for all different types of martial arts; even kungfu. But now WWE posters have taken over and this is the only refuge
>>
File: rena qt.jpg (115KB, 420x630px) Image search: [Google]
rena qt.jpg
115KB, 420x630px
>>2761948
we really need a /mandrama/ board, on 4chan there's many useless or pure trash boards, but a wrestling board would be benefict for everyone, for mandrama fans and for normal people.
>>
>>2761064
Where I do BJJ the instructor gives you the belt.
>>
>>2761091
low levels around 20, black belts around 50

>>2761947
Any martial art thread is welcome, let's just hope people use it, because sometimes even this one gets bumped off before post limit
>>
>>2761595
Worst prediction yet
>>
>>2761971
This. /asp/ should be reserved for actual alternative sports. Pro wrestling should be quarantined to a board all its own.
>>
>>2761043
Yeah unfortunately. Nearly nearly every belt school does this.
>>
Is UFC worth watching?
>>
>>2763116
Kind of.

I have been trying to watch bellator on cable, but I swear to God is infuriating. Is like ads for two minutes, they come back and replay the guys throwing one or two kicks and go back to ads for another 2 minutes. Then the real next fight starts, first round and then go back to ads, replay interesting bits, ads, second round, ads, some more ads and so on. And this is fucking pay television, not public.

I suppose ppv and the UFC channel have fewer ads, but I'm not really interested in paying it.
>>
Update: goju guy is looking at a dime in the state pen for stomping on someone's head and "finishing" him
Apparently pride stomps on a guy already laid out is frowned upon even if he started it.

Might as well shut the board down, no reason to keep coming here now
>>
File: IMG_0229.png (57KB, 348x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0229.png
57KB, 348x720px
>>2763116
Depends on the card. 213 will be good aside from having a WMMA fight headline. Enjoy this list in the meantime.
>>
>>2763444
How would you know?
>>
>>2763576
He is pretty well known in ny, that's why it's weird none of you people ever meet him at tournaments, he's always going to them at least as a spectator. Shit posting aside he really does train for a living as a striking coach for a few pretty high levEl guys in the area.
>>
>>2763657
>Everybody lives in the ny.
>Anyone cares about some random guy in the us
>>
>>2763657
Does everyone also know he's a shitposter?
>>
>>2763827
Not everybody is like you, Anon.
>>
>>2763860
He shit posts irl also, but everyone knows it's shit posts so it's funny
>>
>>2763444
>goju guy is looking at a dime
What does that even mean?
>>
>>2763116
UFC is good watching while doing something else at the same time because there's lots of commercials.
>>
File: DragonBlade.jpg (54KB, 480x515px) Image search: [Google]
DragonBlade.jpg
54KB, 480x515px
Should I pick up Judo or BJJ at my MMA place? Currently doing Muay Thai/Boxing and have a TKD background.
>>
File: 1467572655733.jpg (171KB, 500x550px) Image search: [Google]
1467572655733.jpg
171KB, 500x550px
>just started MT a week ago
>tripped and skinned knees while sprinting
>no skin left at all
>shit's all fucked up and won't heal for god knows how long, if i move around too much the thing start splitting and bleeding again
This is the most pathetically irritating thing jesus christ.
>>
>>2764351
10 year prison sentence
>>
>>2763444

Demanding source.
>>
>>2758633
Miesha has such a hot body, but her face reminds me of that eagle character from the muppets
>>
File: 1409565995419.gif (150KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1409565995419.gif
150KB, 500x333px
>>2765614
>>
>>2764880
lol
>>
>>2762873
I still can't understand how someone can be so ignorant to put wrasling in the board intended to be for sports that don't survive in /sp/
>>
>>2764746
BJJ, judo is not bad, but normal judo is not useful, just some variants are efficient, more and more MMA fighters are incorporating judo in their mix, but is better doing BJJ if your gym don't have judo credentials and credentials that their judo works for MMA.

some people practice no-gi judo and probably that kind of judo works way better than traditional judo for MMA for being no-gi.

do you practice wrestling? wrestling is way more important than BJJ or judo.
>>
test
>>
>>2764746
I say start with Judo,

Judo will teach you standup game and grip fighting that bjj will never translate to you properly; while at the same time giving you at least 'mediocre' groundfighting

when you start bjj you will have mediocre groundfighting for the first year anyway; a year of judo will be much more valuable in the long run.

learn some standup from judo; and then go to bjj with some standup and alteast a base of groundfighting that you can build off
>>
File: 564186486468.jpg (30KB, 344x326px) Image search: [Google]
564186486468.jpg
30KB, 344x326px
>mfw right arm has gotten way bigger than the left

Time to start going to the gym
>>
>>2767721
How is that possible?
>>
>>2768118
Maybe he uses a shakeweight while browsing the internet.
>>
>>2763444
Do you really think he would do such a thing?
>>
>>2768254
I don't know
>>
>>2763444
Goju-guy did nothing wrong!
>>
>>2768876

Is he black??
>>
How's everybody doing? Training going good? It's been awhile since I visited /asp/ I've layed off my bjj training days due to laziness and some injuries along the road. I'm focusing more on my striking aspect since that's my bread and butter, I only train kickboxing two times a week though. But I do conditioning three times and week so it's a nice balance I find.

Power is coming along real nicely, my heavier friend even said I hit like a heavyweight even though I'm just a measly welterweight. However I feel like I rely too much on power and strength in my punches rather than speed which is more suited for my weight. I'm throwing more combos in sparring though so it's getting there.

Also I'm starting to develop some issues with my fingers and wrist tendon, feels like some arthritis type shit so I might have to see the doctor about it. Gonna continueto train though since I'm stubborn.
>>
>>2769442
>How's everybody doing? Training going good?
I feel like I'm not getting enough sleep to get as much out of training as I could be getting out of it.
My attention is impaired, so it's more difficult to pay attention, it's more difficult to exercise memorization strategies.
The lack of focus makes me miss some things that I could've memorized and analyzed more deeply at a later time, and my head is just generally foggy and slower.
The impaired reaction speed and focus also just makes me do worse in sparring.
I'm also just going to die early because I'm not taking care of myself by getting enough sleep every night.

I've also noticed that my right knee is getting worse, that's quite the pleasantry.
>>
>>2769498
Take a midday nap then
>>
>>2769250

It doesn't matter!

Goju lives matter!
>>
>>2766192
>Doesn't like boobs
>Calls others gay

Breh...
>>
Besides drilling and sparring what are some good secondary sources to learn all about footwork/angles, all facets of MMA?
>>
it's funny how must bjj communities are fascinated with judo takedowns and always gush whenever someone actually takes someone down in a match; especially with a throw.

It makes me think that the two arts really need reuniting

most judo people don't feel nearly the same way about bjj though; usually just look down on it as 'basically just judo'; it's like bjj really wants to impress its dad
>>
>>2773429
Fucking study, contemplate theories, hypothesize, study other martial arts and relate them to MMA, find aspects of other martial arts in MMA, analyze fights and write formal analyses on them.
To help memorize what you study, break things up into chunks, make and take quizzes, pay attention and focus, associate the information with other things, get emotional about it, and have fun.
>>
>>2773936
Dunno, man. As a judo black belt and a bjj purple, I think it has more to do with bjj competition rules allowing the whole gamut of judo to be utilized, where as judo competition rules give such little time to work on the ground that bjj was gimped in that setting long before it left Brazil.
>>
My right achilles tendon is sore. wat do?
>>
>>2774734
Cut it to relieve pressure
>>
>>2774739

Ok. What next? How do I stop the bleeding?
>>
>>2774752
I don't know
>>
>>2774752
bind it with some styx
>>
>>2769503
How much sleep do you get each night anon? I probably only have 6 or 7 hours of sleep a night and I supplement the lost sleep by napping habitually. I don't feel as my performance has deteriorated much but I having 8 hours of sleep a night would be ideal. It's just that training finishes at 9:15 and I eat and relax when I get home which has me by bed at midnight usually.
>>
>>2774830
My sleep is all over the place, 1-12 hours a night.
>>
>>2774842
You should probably stick to a regular frame of sleep then. Your body's probably jacked up since you're playing russian roulette with your sleeping pattern. I always wake up early even though I'm a nightowl which is weird.
>>
>>2767658
Have you considered that this is mostly based on the fact the modern MMA doesn't use a gi? Wrestling is a lot less efficient when you're both wearing the shot stuffer that a gi is. Not dissing wrestling - I still dabble in it next to Judo and BJJ - but it becomes a whole lot harder in a gi.
>>
>>2769442

My Kumi Kata is still not good enough.
Sucks.

>>2773936

Nah, Judokas either don't know much about BJJ or they admire their ground skills.

But I don't think Judo and BJJ should "reunite". Why forcing should a ground fighter who is happy with a double into learning the so many standup throws? Or why should a Judoka into learn 15 different ways of breaking the guard?

Also one important thing:
Even though the techniques of Judo and BJJ have a great overlap, they are used in a totally different way.

BJJ is like a strategy game:
>"You come here, I come there, you do this.. haha gotcha!"
From what I've seen it speeds up on higher levels, but basically it's about foreseeing and outsmarting your opponent.

Judo only gives you very little time on the ground and that changes a lot. While many people criticize this, it also has a huge advantage: it really forces you to blitz your opponent. Often you can get away with a "OK-tier" technique, where you pressure the other guy so much and with such speed, that that it works anyway.

BJJs guys are by far the better ground fighters and it's fucking sad when I win on the ground against Judokas, that'd simply ragdoll me in standup.
But boy do I love the adrenaline rush when your opponent goes down in Judo and tries to stall into a turtle and then you come at him in supersonic speed like the god of thunder:
>grab here!
>hook leg in!
>turn, turn, turn.. COMMOOOON, TURN OVER YOU MOTHERFUCKER, MY TIME IS RUNNING OUT!!

..and then you pin him into the ground as if you life depends on it. And count.

Judo is all about speed and bringing a few techniques at such a level, that they are kinda unstoppable for your opponent. I really like this, because it gives you so much freedom:
You can be a great Judoka and don't give a damn about the SeoiNage, because you snipe your opponents off their feet with your foot throws. Or you are more kind of a "russian bear" fighter, get close and powersupplex them into outer space.
>>
>>2774809
Alright youtube
>>
>>2775069
>From what I've seen it speeds up on higher levels, but basically it's about foreseeing and outsmarting your opponent.
Having been crosstraining in both for half a decade now, I find that despite the limited time slot, this is still feasible in Judo. The rules state that you're allowed to continue as long as there's progress, which can be exploited with the technical edge from BJJ. Works nicely the other way round, blitzing BJJ people can be quite efficient as they often don't expect you to go for the submission just yet. I've seen other crosstraining Judoka do the same thing as well - any position with enough control allows you to go for the submission, it's a sort of 'submit the fucker already' mentality that appears to be the natural result of bringing the blitz approach into BJJ.
>>
>>2775069
>Judo is all about speed and bringing a few techniques at such a level, that they are kinda unstoppable for your opponent.
It doesn't have to be. Judo can be about throwing so many different techniques in varying unique ways until one of them catches your opponent unexpectedly in an unexpected way.
>>
File: choke knock out.webm (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
choke knock out.webm
2MB, 500x281px
>>
>>
>>
File: Nakaya Ude Gatame.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Nakaya Ude Gatame.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>
File: 2016 olympic sutemi waza juji.webm (3MB, 350x196px) Image search: [Google]
2016 olympic sutemi waza juji.webm
3MB, 350x196px
>>
>>
File: one arm juji.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
one arm juji.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>>
>>
>>
>>
File: flying juji Romain Buffet.webm (2MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
flying juji Romain Buffet.webm
2MB, 960x540px
>>
File: flying juji Romain Buffet2.webm (2MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
flying juji Romain Buffet2.webm
2MB, 960x540px
>>
>>
File: gerbi seoi to juji.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
gerbi seoi to juji.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>
>>
What's up everyone? How do you fit your body training with your martial arts classes? I do MMA three times a week, so currently it's easy for me to work out three times a week too, and obviously in my martial arts classes we do some workouts. But I want to add two BJJ classes a week too, and I then would have 5 martial arts classes a week. Would it be too much for me to handle to work out in the morning and have martial arts classes in the evening three times a week? What do pro fighters do? Thanks in advance
>>
>>2776761
>Would it be too much for me to handle
Try it and find out.

>What do pro fighters do?
They tend to be a lot more athletic than the average American, so they do a shit ton, and then some.
>>
>>2776761
It sounds like this guy might be over working his body, but it also sounds like he might be a masochist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_7huOfVMP0
>>
File: 7547848457.jpg (73KB, 671x660px) Image search: [Google]
7547848457.jpg
73KB, 671x660px
>tfw doing martial arts all my life and now it looks like i'm going to be diagnosed with adrenomyeloneuropathy
feels bad man
>>
>>2777181
brutal
>>
>>2777128
Holy shit Kron looks at great condition and this vid is extremely comfy. I honestly would like to go to him and ask to train with him for a couple days
>>
>>2777181
Everything's going to be okay.
>>
>>2767658
>do you practice wrestling? wrestling is way more important than BJJ or judo.
Nah. I've never done grappling before. My place seems to have good credential for both Judo and BJJ.
>>2767715
Thanks for the advice.
>>
I think I'm going to start strengthening my hip flexors more so that my knees and kicks are a little faster.
Looking at some fighters throw some knees and certain kicks, it seems like their hip flexors are one of their weaker links.
>>
File: 1472347570881.png (339KB, 600x397px) Image search: [Google]
1472347570881.png
339KB, 600x397px
>TFW I've had a bruise on the lower right of my knee for 2 months and its not healing
>All my shin bruises heal just fine so it's not a blood issue
H-help..
>>
>>2778806
Eternal bleeding.
>>
>guest teacher is a wrestling coach
oh god it hurts all over
>>
>>2780265
what do you guys normally do and what did he teach you
>>
>>2780284
we drilled knee pick into ankle picks from oneside underhook alot; and countering with wizzer. and side control w/ crossface escapes,

and then alot of standup randori

we do alot of standup anyway;im mostly just memeing. just particularly beat up after this class
>>
>>2780265
What do you normally train?
>>
>>2780760
Sounds like he does blow jobs.
>>
Is it worth turning vegan to increase your physical performance? There's a guy at my gym that is stacked and built like a fucking ox and he's a vegan.
>>
>>2781419
There are many more people that are stacked and built that aren't vegans compared to ones they are, and they don't have to change their diet as much to become one either
>>
>>2769442
I haven't been able to train in two months because I had surgery on my labrum. I've been getting fatter and the only exercise that I'm able to do is stationary bike shit. I managed to do some sprint intervals for it, but it's not the same. I don't think I'll be able to do BJJ again until October.

I'll be moving to Albuquerque in the next few weeks and I'm hoping to start training out here when my doctor clears me.
>>
>>2763444
>for stomping on someone's head and "finishing" him

COBRA KAI NEVER DIES
>>
>>2781933
Do you know punching technique? What about Tai Chi?
>>
I've been training Nihon Tai Jitsu for the last year and I love it but it's based almost exclusively around defense. What martial art would be good to learn other useful techniques?
>>
>>2781419
Is this fucking bait? Anyway, if you have tons of money, I suppose it's possible.
>>
>>2782054
You mean you want something purely offensive, or that you're looking for something that would compliment best your martial art?
>>
>>2782112
Mmm something that compliments best Tai Jitsu, mostly in what it lacks which I think is offensive actions
>>
>>2782276
>Nihon Tai Jitsu
boxing and wrestling
>>
>>2782276
I'd tell you to do grappling since it seems striking based, but it does no striking so you're back to the start.
With Brazilian Jiu-jitsu you would learn what to do when your stuff inevitably fails, also you could somewhat combine the two during the stand-up part.

With anything full contact you'd learn to actually punch people
>>
>>2782414
>>
>>2782584
(as if there's any CMA autist left)
>>
File: Screenshot_20170621-024028.png (195KB, 1065x1698px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170621-024028.png
195KB, 1065x1698px
BJJ and martial arts related kik group. Feel free to join, a few 4channers there.
If you can't scan the group is #brazilianjiujitsu or leave your contact so you can be added.
>>
>>2782540
>Inevitably fails
Most actual fight are stand up here in the U S of A. We fight like men here, not cuddling little girl faggots. Every child should learn Boxing as soon as they can walk. My sons were fighting one day, and they were on the ground rolling around doing gay faggy dick grabbing bullshit ass. I bought 2 pairs of gloves, headgear, mouth guard, shoes, and shorts. From that day on, I taught them to box and settle things like real men. Not gay bar dick sucking faggots.
>>
File: juji drill 1.gif (2MB, 248x214px) Image search: [Google]
juji drill 1.gif
2MB, 248x214px
>>
File: juji drill 2.gif (2MB, 254x203px) Image search: [Google]
juji drill 2.gif
2MB, 254x203px
>>
>>2782540
Tai Jitsu has a lot of grappling and striking, the thing is that everything is reactive. I have more tools to defend myself from a strike than to break my opponent's guard and knock him out. I'd say boxing would be excellent to fix that spectrum of combat. What do you guys think?
>>
>>2784602
You're black, aren't you
>>
>>2784932
I hope your reacting is faster than the attacker's acting
>>
>>2785299
That's why I train hard anon
>>
>>2784932
MMA.
>>
>>2786103
Are you retarded? MMA isn't a martial art. It's a mix of martial arts
>>
>>2786200
are you autistic? MMA has evolved to more then just a mix of martial arts, because of leagues like UFC and the proliferation of the rule set and the culling of weaker styles

MMA has evolved into its own art usually a mix of Muay Thai, boxing, wrestling and BJJ, get cuck smark
>>
>>2786224
Original taijitsu-anon here. I like mma but there aren't MMA gyms in about 100 km from where I live. I have to drive about 40 minutes to go to where I train. However there are gyms that teach Muay Thai, boxing and karate nearby
>>
Becoming a right-handed southpaw, thoughts? I feel more clean and precise with my southpaw stance apart from the fluidity which I'm still working on.
>>
>>2786578
>thoughts?
Switch master race.
>>
>>2786578
Your left cross won't have as much punch to it.
>>
>>2763530
>Joe lauzon v Jim miller
A man of good taste
>>
File: mods dont care about altsports.png (52KB, 979x280px) Image search: [Google]
mods dont care about altsports.png
52KB, 979x280px
>>2767353
Well guys we're staying fucked for a VERY long time
>>
>>2786224
Yeah, you're definitely retarded. The guy you replied to didn't ask for 3-4 martial arts, he asked for one. It's not it's own art, it's a mix of martial arts. That's literally what MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts, cuck
>>
>>2787627
Wow you are autistic the guy even proofed my point you can go to one school and gym and learn one style called MMA

MMA gyms are schools that teach the martial art style of MMA
>>
>>2787627
Show me one MMA gym where you won't learn Boxing standard jabs and crosses, Muay Thai standard roundhouse kicks, clinches and knees, Wrestling standard double leg takedowns and variations, and straight up BJJ if not pretty much BJJ but changed a little bit for MMA.
I ask that because I'm just curious.

But the point is almost every single MMA place will teach you the same mix of moves from the same mix of martial arts. And then the other gyms that aren't like that are really just like that that but they have to be special snow flakes so they add some other moves here and there and maybe make some moves look a little different.
>>
>>2786298
What style of Karate?
>>
So I'm an ex TKD black belt (Olympic style, Kukkiwon certified, etc.) who has gotten fat due to varied circumstances.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to start learning a new martial art (I'm open to suggestions), or should I just focus on reacquiring fitness/skills/etc I've lost in the previous years?
>>
>>2787816
Just go ahead and play a triathlon, no preparation. Don't warm up and stretch before, either.
>>
>>2787819
I should also probably fast the day before to ensure efficient calorie burning, then, yeah?
>>
>>2787816
It's silly to slowly work your way back up, be it skill wise or with your physical fitness. Jump straight into doing a full week of nothing but intense full contact sparring with full contact head shots in between your full contact competitions. Just blow all your money of traveling to different areas for the competitions, and if you don't have money put it on a credit card.
>>
>>2787823
That's the best damn good idea I've heard today.
>>
>>2787825
>>2787827
Seriously though, I'm torn between looking for a new martial art or getting back to black-belt ability level with what I already know
>>
>>2787832
How long as it been? I'd say do both.
>>
>>2787838
Let's assume I don't have the time to adequately do both simultaneously.

I'm planning on getting into grad school relatively soon and don't want to have to leave a school at yellow-belt level (again)
>>
>>2787816
>who has gotten fat due to varied circumstances.
It would've been better if you eventually moved onto tricking and weight lifting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O14yjsulv7w

>>2787832
Nothing wrong with training on your own and getting comfortable with it again for a month or so.
>>
>>2787843
That's actually kind of part of the plan as well. I was going to use weightlifting/dieting to shed the pounds, but that's not necessarily going to revive my old skills on its own, so I wanted some kind of martial arts training to supplement the lifting
>>
File: UFC.jpg (74KB, 1064x546px) Image search: [Google]
UFC.jpg
74KB, 1064x546px
>I have no idea what is going to go through my head when that monster is standing across from me

People look at us like monsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4LQvPCuwbY
>>
>>2787847
>I was going to use weightlifting/dieting to shed the pounds
Just how fat and unfit did you get?

Maybe you wont even need the weights and you can just do bodyweight exercises. I remember when I stopped exercising for a while and got fat, I started feeling the burn just doing 10 pushups. I could barely pull my fat ass up for a pullup.
>>
>>2787843
>the dude falling over at 5:11
>flashbacks to the time I rolled my ankle and became terrified of left-leg spinning kicks
>>
>>2787816
what gyms do you have around you in terms of martil arts? there is this whole mentality of i need to prepare before i start but honestly a lot of times its a cop out of not even stepping onto the mats

You get fit as you get more mat time so pick a style find an intensive gym and get as much mat time and practice as you can wither its boxing, TKD, wrestling, MMA, BJJ, etc as you get more mat time you get more in shape and you get the timing, technique, etc.
>>
>>2787852
I never could do pullups, but I could absolutely do more than 10 good pushups even in my current shape (I'm ~300 lbs, but due to what I have to do at my job, I'm willing to bet that even at low bodyfat I'd still probably be about 200-ish). Bodyweight exercises are on the table, but I want a good structured workout a la Starting Strength but without the weight (I am not a financially stable person atm)

>>2787860
I know of a few TKD schools around my area, all are WTF-style, and they're varied in terms of intensity. Most are fairly intensive, but the limiting factors would be money and commuting in that sense since I have no car
>>
>>2787862
could you network and somehow get a ride to a close more affordable school? or tell the instructors of your circumstance? i know there are a handful of gyms that let down on your luck cases a "By" and not charge for stuff till they get back on their feet.

Wither if its not having a place to sleep, or no ride, or problems with food etc
>>
>>2787870
I kinda don't feel like that's the way I want to go. I'm not having issues with rent or food, it's just that having a car in my city is oftentimes more a burden than a help
>>
>>2787862
Starting strength is a terrible idea for fat people. Starting strength is for spooky skellies who need to put on mass.
>>
>>2787912
Well yeah, I was using it more as an example of the kind of structure I want in a workout rather than an example of quality

Also it's free, and all the bodyweight stuff on the /fit/ wiki are books that cost money that I don't want to spend
>>
>>2787912
>Starting strength is a terrible idea for fat people.
More muscles requesting calories is good for losing weight, along with cardio.
>>
>>2786700
Switching during sparring does throw off my partner occasionally, going Marvelous Marvin on their asses
>>2786964
Yes that's one of the problems I'm currently having but I've added a southpaw round for my shadowboxing in order to get it down more
>>
>>2787704
You're so stupid, it baffles me. MMA isn't just one style. That's the whole point of MMA, it's a combination of styles. Mixed Martial Arts schools are school that teach a MIX of Martial Arts.

>>2787797
Plenty of MMA schools teach different things than one another, just because some people teach boxing at MMA schools and Muay Thai kicks doesn't mean that Boxing and Muay Thai in itself are MMA. MMA is when you take more than 1 martial art and mix it with another, simple as that. MMA can include things like karate, taekwondo and even wing chun if you wanted to, as long as you're practicing and using more than 1 or 2 single Martial arts together, then it's MMA.
>>
>>2788218
>tfw meme schools like jet kune do or krav maga are, by definition, MMA schools.

The term MMA was born to call a particular tournament type, iirc. They put up an announcement to all martial artist to come and compete, and when asked how they were calling it, they replied "yeah, uh, it's, ah... It's a mixed martial art tournament, yeah". In a sense, claiming someone is training at a mma school is basically the same than saying he's training at G1 school, or bellator school.

However...

Kickboxing used to be the same. At first, kickboxing referred to a particular set of rules, disregarding if the competitors came from karate, muay thai or kung fu gyms. Nowadays, there are plenty places that teach a more or less unified set of skills and techniques under the name of kickboxing. There's a bit of this, a bit of that, but hardly any other school would recognize a kickboxer as black belt out of the gate, because kickboxers usually don't train stuff like drills or more specific techniques, like the different hand striking techniques found in karate, which is part of the basic curriculum for those schools.

MMA is in a similar process. I wouldn't claim mma is a style on it's own, and most champions admit they are first and foremost a black belt in this or that, usually in jiu jutsu. Also, because anyone can teach their own blend of this or that, anyone can claim they train mma, but that doesn't mean they aren't training in a mcdojo.

I know a place that teach mma and ninjitsu. More likely, Jiu jutsu dressed in black pajamas, but still...
>>
>>2788619
>more likely jiujitsu in black pajamas

I've thought about opening up a kung fu school with a made up name and lineage and forms but in reality just teaching them western boxing.

I'd feel a little bad taking their money for a dishonest style, but I feel like I'd also be saving them from a mcdojo that would take their money and also not teach them how to fight.
>>
>>2787850
I don't know. Are you a 6ft + , tatted and muscled?
>>
2 one of the most important aspects of grappling not talked about are scrambling and riding

people seem so obsessed over submissions and takedowns
>>
>>2789495
Tell me about scrambling and riding.
>>
How do I get that master roshi bod?
>>
>>2789815
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzHeo1bS-TQ

just keep training, keep a healthy diet, and hope you have good genetics

>there are no sound effects at the start of the video
>that's breathing
>>
>>2789853
Is the goatee and glasses included?
>>
>>2788658
Is still dishonest, and whenever someone figures out the style is made up, more likely than not the reputation of your place will go down the drain, which will cost you students and money.

Just call it kickboxing or something.
>>
>>2790626
But then how will he wallow in the clammy disposable income of NEETs and weeaboos?
>>
>>2791123
By selling golden memberships?
>>
>>2790626
If you call it kickboxing you'll scare away the NEETs who are averse to both western culture than idea of having to work to be good at something. You miss out on the opportunity to turn worthless weeaboos into something worthwhile.
>>
>>2787912
Starting Strength is for anyone who is interested in finding a Starting point to build Strength.
>>
>>2791702
Education, not deception.
>>
>>2792180
>recommending fatties a strength program that recommends you eat a fuck ton of extra calories to add on to their already fat fuck body.
>>
>>2793008
Bruh just do the workout without the gallon of milk.
>>
>>2793742
>In grocery store
>See dude buy like 7 gallons of whole milk
He was athletic looking so it he was probably doing it right.
>>
File: suck_deez_big_orish_ballz_dana.jpg (151KB, 1080x1350px) Image search: [Google]
suck_deez_big_orish_ballz_dana.jpg
151KB, 1080x1350px
Whats my best strategy against Floyd Mayweather?
>>
>>2794240
Fight him while holding a harry potter book in front of his face
>>
>>2753736

wtf I love attempted robbery now
>>
>>2794323
niggers can't read tho
>>
>>2794240
Win. I hear that's a pretty good strategy.
>>
File: birb7.jpg (150KB, 729x1081px) Image search: [Google]
birb7.jpg
150KB, 729x1081px
>>2794418
Exactly.
https://youtu.be/bFtcLJVN8yg
>>
>>2794240
This might be the real mcgregor and we wouldn't know
>>
>>2745867
I'd like some other anons to weigh in on something tl;Dr I left home for year and found my old judo club has a completely different culture and instructor

So here's the long version. I trained for about two years in judo in my home town before leaving for work reasons (during that time I trained bjj and mauy thai at a MMA gym). I just recently came home and found most of the instructors aren't there anymore and now only one guy ever teaches classes. Prior to my leaving, every class we'd have about 6 or 7 black belts and they'd cycle through who would run the class that day. We had a lot of different people with different weights, and different backgrounds (wrestling, bjj, aikido etc.) Now there's usually only two or three black belts in a class and only one of them ever teaches. This guy, to make matters worse, teaches with the attitude of "this is the way we do things now." There are no variants you will practice except the ones he teaches. There are no other ways to grip or break grips except the ones he teaches. He insists that we should only train a couple of different moves and get really good at them instead of trying to learn everything. I can follow that logic if you already know the full curriculum but for someone who isn't a black belt (like me) that seems like a bad idea and it's a far cry from the attitude this school used to have. One of the first things I was taught was that there's a 1,000,000 variants for every throw and just because someone tells you to do something a different way doesn't necessarily mean it's wrong. The current instructor has outright said he doesnt want people asking about variants of different throws because this is the way we do thinga now. Another shift I've noticed is in the ratio of of standing to ground work. I used to scoff at the people who said judo didn't teach groundwork because we used to split things about 60/40 standing to ground. Under this new guy it's about 90/10. (Con't)
>>
>>2795518
(Con't) maybe it's not my place to criticize the teaching method because as I've said, I'm not a black belt. But I can't help but think that the school has changed for the worse under this new type of instruction. The new instructor is a very good fighter and very knowledgable, but this whole "drop everything you've ever learned because we only do it this way now" shit feels like some karate mcdojo shit.

What does /asp/ think? Am I right in thinking this way or should I just shut up and do it his way?
>>
>>2794240
punching
>>
>>2795518
>>2795529
Your dojo has gone to shit. That's not the spirit of judo. If you learn only a couple of throws, how are you going to get promoted?

Besides that, I'm guessing he somehow took over the dojo and all of the good judoka's left, realizing what he's doing.

He's only teaching you what he knows (which sounds limited) and from the way you're writing it, he sounds pretty insecure about his skillset.
>>
>>2795518
Can't you reach someone who was there in the period you left and knows what happened?
>>
>>2795518
where did the other black belts go?
>>
>>2795625
>>2795633
>>2795582
A couple of the guys who were in their 40s and 50 are still there. I suspect the majority left because they were getting old. I know at least one left because he had a serious shoulder injury, and another who rarely comes by anymore because he's working a lot more than he used too.

No one's really openly expressed any ill sentiment though. Im afraid that if I did (especially because I'm just a student) that I may create some big theatrical bullshit and I really don't want to do that.
>>
>>2795665
Just ask one in private, I'm sure he remembers how nicer it was back then
>>
>>2795518
>>2795529
Where's the owner of this place? Trainers coming in and out are relatively common in every gym, but at least the owner should remain constant to keep some sense of continuity.
>>
>>2796664
It's non profit club. Of the two founders, one is dead and the other is too old and injured to train anymore. Their son is the guy I said works too much to train consistently anymore.
>>
>>2796924
>work on your technique until you feel you're ready
>challenge the shitty black belt in front of founder and son
>show you have a better understanding and help the founder bring the school back to what it was
>>
>>2796951
The guy trained under an olympian. I've only got 2 years under my belt. I'm not gonna win that fight.
>>
>>2796957
Bring a knife
>>
File: 4880664756.png (84KB, 379x415px) Image search: [Google]
4880664756.png
84KB, 379x415px
>>2796963
>>
>>2796957
It is normal for clubs to change over time. You should find a new club, possibly a different martial art. That the instructor teaches in a way that matches with your learning style is more important than the art.
If you move to muay Thai, bjj or some other grappling, no one will hold it against you, and you can return to judo when you find a good club.
>>
File: Slappe.jpg (117KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Slappe.jpg
117KB, 1920x1080px
How do i achieve maximum slap power?
There's a slapping competition near my city and who wins gets 500$
>>
>>2797785
open handed hook
>>
>>2797789
that's cheating, you have to hit with the upper part
>>
>>2797792
cock your elbow and practice whipping your hand
>>
>>2797819
What do you mean by cocking the elbow?
>>
>>2797962
raise elbow higher when you draw back
lead with elbow when swinging
whip your hand straight on into the impact
slap at a downwards angle if possible
>>
>>2797785
Use kinetic linking.

Also, what are the rules?
>>
>>2798365
Just slap eachother (we have turns) until someone either moves away or is knocked out, we cannot hit with the lower part of the hand
>>
>>2798411
grow beard
be a not bitch
>>
>>2798415
>be a man
You can't control if you're getting knocked out or not, it doesn't matter how much of a man you are
>>
Can someone show me a good fight or two? Like your favorite or whatever.
I'm new and there's so much to pick from and people are just arguing in the comments so I don't know what's good or not.
>>
>>2798794
Martial arts fights in general?
>>
>>2798809
Yeah MMA or just jiu jitsu I guess?
>>
>>2798794
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxSCO4DqBeQ
>>
File: Spicy Bangers.png (50KB, 321x1087px) Image search: [Google]
Spicy Bangers.png
50KB, 321x1087px
>>2798794
>>
>>2798411
Can you hit anywhere in the head? As in hitting the lower half of the face, the chin? That could cause a KO.
>>
>>2798877
>Literally who vs Literally who 60 times
Why do this to yourself?
>>
>>2798874
Nice, that was cool.
Are you not allowed to kick/knee people when they're on the ground? Seems like Orange could have avoided the grappling if he didn't go in so close to punch?
>>
>>2798877
>12. Don Frye vs. Takayama
Glorious.

>>2799051
I considered myself mostly ingnorant concerning MMA, but have you been living under a rock by any chance?
>>
>>2795518
>>2795529
this is how people who train to win competitions train
>>
>>2799525
I'd say its like a "competition factory" made to churn out results for the people going there. Not necessarily bad if its what someone's looking for.
>>
>>2797785
Relax your body
Pull the elbow in with your shoulder (always relaxed), the hand hitting is only an afterthought, like this https://youtu.be/V0Y4oRikVVs?t=50s
>>
>>2745867
Who /watchingUFC/?
>tfw forgot to get snacks
>>
>>2798874
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxSCO4DqBeQ
>not even 2min in
>they're already sucking each other's dicks

>I like you so much
>oh, baby, you're so good
>you have all the tools and you know how to use them
>>
File: 1440990488104.jpg (21KB, 471x480px) Image search: [Google]
1440990488104.jpg
21KB, 471x480px
I have no experience with martial arts, but boxing seems neat. How much of a time investment would it be, specifically going to the boxing gym? I'm in grad school right now, and time can get fairly tight. The nearest place I could find a boxing gym is about 30 minutes away.
>>
>>2800807
two or three two or three hour classes a week would be fine I think
>>
>>2800810
Alright, thanks anon.
>>
>>2799034
Yeah i was planning on hitting the chin
>>
>>2799525

Pretty much this.

It's sad to neglect ground fighting, but personally I would use the opportunity and develop a few killer throws and drill them in. You can still add the other stuff later. Or even crosstrain in BJJ.

If you know a few throws really well, they often transistion very good to other throws. If you are really good with a normal Seio Nage, the differernt grips (Morote, Eri and so on) and throws like Koshi Guruma, Seoi Otoshi and so on come naturally. A good Seoi Nage is also a good foundation for a good Harai Goshi, and I can hardly imagine someone with a devastating Harai Goshi having huge problems with the Uchi Mata..

There are a couple of different principles in Judo (push, pull, block, sweep, lift and so on..). But if you "master" (lel) one throw you usually get a good understanding of at least two principles. That why a small subset can already give you a deep understanding of Judo. Especially since eventually every Judoka gravitates to a certain family of throws, often centered about his Tokui Waza.

It's not even about what you could possibly do, it's more about what throws you are good and and - a underrated point - what throws are fun for you! If you like certain throws, you want to find out how they work, how to throws them from differernt angles, positions and grips and you will study the different ways to set them up - just because it's fun to do so.

> tl;dr: Everywhere there's something to learn. The glass is half empty of half full, depeding on how you look at it.
>>
>>2801273
Half empty of half full is 1/4.
>>
>>2801196
Hope you have good grip strength.
Hit in exactly the same spot every time, and maybe you can get a TKO via pain.
>>
>>2801273

I call bullshit on that glass half full/half empty thing.

It's either been half-filled or half-emptied. That is it. If you don't know it's just half a cup of water.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>2801273
>>2801920

I'm not hating on you or your post by the way; just the expression
>>
File: half guard escape from crufix.webm (2MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
half guard escape from crufix.webm
2MB, 854x480px
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>2799051
If you don't recognize every name on that list, then you are the most casual faggot ever who probably started watching at 194.
>>
>>2795529
Have considered the students at your club had terrible basics and the current leadership decided they needed a foundation before they learned more advanced stuff?

I don't know your particular circumstances, but at the club where I was an instructor, a lot of the students thought they were hot shit and tried to copy things they'd see me do with the more advanced students. They didn't have the proper foundation and would always get shit on in shiai because of it. I eventually left because I got tired of them saying they wanted to learn what I had to teach, but they weren't willing to listen to what I'd tell them to do. Bunch of Anakin Skywalkers without the raw natural talent.
>>
>>2804157
>but they weren't willing to listen to what I'd tell them to do.
Have you considered that you were just being a cunt?
>>
File: guida donkey kick.webm (3MB, 720x410px) Image search: [Google]
guida donkey kick.webm
3MB, 720x410px
Why don't we see more donkey kicks in MMA?
>>
>>2804157
Our club has never had any problems taking home medals. I'd have no problem with his teaching method if I already knew the full curriculum, but I dont.
>>
>>2804157
I agree you have to teach very few things and master those, but from a student point of view it's boring as fuck and he has no idea of what kind of progress he's doing, to him it looks like he's repeating the same thing over and over for no reason.
Also for the teacher it's probably fun doing the same thing because you already have/know the rest of the system and you're just sharpening an ability
All the student knows is that he's doing something he already knows and learning nothing else.

There's no point in perfect teaching when the guy learning isn't motivated to lean
>>
>>2804756
Of course I say this last phrase because I've been guilty of this these last couple of years

Kids complain and the instructor thinks they're all just bad and badly raised
Then you realize they're: bored because of monotonous lessons, lack motivation because they subconsciously realize that what he's teaching doesn't work, and lack discipline because they see no clear objective
>>
>>2804841
I get that students get bored, that is largely a result of our current culture. I am a school teacher by occupation and see it every day. People are quick to blame the teacher (and to be completely honest, there are a lot of shitty teachers), but what kids stay up to play Overwatch or League of Legends instead of studying, what am I supposed to tell them when they fail a test?

What about when a kid asks "Sensei, why didn't that pin escape work?" and I tell him, "Because you cheese your shrimping drills and need to improve your hip movement," they think I'm hiding secrets to hold them back. A kid wants to learn uchi mata because it looks cool? Okay, but ask me later when you can stand one on leg for ten seconds. That's how bad it is.

In the dojo, we are trying to pass on practices originating hundreds of years ago that don't exactly fit in today's modern climate. We need to be honest with ourselves and admit martial arts are not for everyone, and that is okay.
>>
>>2805957
>We need to be honest with ourselves and admit martial arts are not for everyone
Agree 100%, but it's either passing the watered down version or not passing anything, I just hope a few students will one day get into it more and change attitude like I did, but it's a question of multiple years
>>
New thread goes here: >>2807547
Thread posts: 310
Thread images: 64

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.