[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mag/ Martial arts general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 47

Previous thread:
>>2529493

Find an MMA Gym in the USA: http://www.findmmagym.com/

Styles of fighting:
http://www.ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and help:
http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

Beware the MCDOJOS:
http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com

WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:
•Physically conditioned, fit participants
•Trainer with certified professional record and a training history with at least one athlete who competes successfully
•Sparring, "aliveness" in training
•At least one participant competes at amateur or professional level
•Physical conditioning part of training

WHAT TO BE WARY OF:
•Fat, physically subpar students and instructor
•Graduation fees (e.g. "pay $200 and advance to next belt extra quick!")
•No proven athletes training there
•No sparring, moves shown are choreographed (e.g. "the attacker does this, then I do this, then you do this...")
•Cult-like atmosphere
•No physical conditioning

>YOUTUBE CHANNELS ON FIGHTING
https://www.youtube.com/user/LawrenceKenshin
https://www.youtube.com/user/FightTipsVideos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVfmHpXONv-LVACBV68tq5Q
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCl3zMJRgefZm7ELHkIp-xDA
https://www.youtube.com/user/GracieBreakdown
https://www.youtube.com/user/StephanKesting
https://www.youtube.com/user/theKravMagaTraining
https://www.youtube.com/user/CombatSportsTapes
More to come...
>>
I started training at 21. Is it too late for me to become pro one day if I pursue it?

Are there any pro-fighters who also started training late and have had success?
>>
>>2573124
Hating anime is for reddit
>>
>>2573132
It depends. What background do you have? Any sports club? Based on your physical condition it can be much more easy (or harder) to made a career on this. Some 25+ years old guy who practised basketball for 5 years will have an easier time to go pro than some 18 years old overweight NEET.

Now, there's a precise metric, it also influences your complexion and what sport you're trying to pursue.

So, yeah, is doable, just keep it real.
>>
>>2573170
Thankfully I'm not an overweight NEET. I've just lifted and play sports recreationally. I'm dedicated though and always put in the effort to challenge myself
>>
So even despite having injuries with my stomach, I've decided not to give up. While I heal and rest, I'm going to still do what I can how I can. I've a friend who has a very romantic idea on what martial arts is like, and I've decided to teach them what I know of Tae Kwon Do.

I've had experiencing teaching Violin in the past and I've helped supplement another friends' lessons, but I've never taught martial arts from the ground up. While I obviously will use how I was taught as a framework, I am wary about things feeling too regurgitated and boring - I am torn between covering every bit of the basics and being thorough or giving my protege small, bite-sized lessons that I can elaborate on in detail.

Share with me your teaching stories. Remind me what it was like first learning. Tell me how you would have wanted to be taught, what you wanted to learn and what would be best for someone up-and-coming into martial arts.

Let's help build my friend's legacy together!
>>
>>2573385
I hate teaching and I gave up on it.

The way I learned was
Coach knows more than me -> Listen to him -> Results

When I try to teach people
I know more than them -> Try to work with them -> Some dude on the internet said X though -> Don't listen to me
>>
>>2573139
my post got deleted?
>>
If you get hit right in the face what is the next thing you should do immediately? Assuming you aren't on the ground
>>
>>2573505
Put your fucking guard up before you get hit in the face again. Other than that depends on situation (where are you? is your back to something? are you far from your car/house? how many other people are there/ who are they?)
>>
>>2573530
I meant for a sanctioned fight. Also what if you are up against something?
>>
>>2573587
>>2573505

>>2573505
Boxing or MMA?

Boxing - Move your damn head and hit them back. Don't let them tag you and get away with it. Don't just stand in front of them and brawl, though. Find an angle and work to it. Lomachenko and Rigondeaux are both masterful at it.

MMA - I'm assuming it's similar, but I don't have MMA experience, so *shrugs loudly*
>>
What competitive martial arts minimize knee damage? I have bad knees, but I'd like to a martial art that isn't glorified dance choreography.
>>
>>2573726
Boxing. Seriously.

Footwork is relatively low impact when compared to what other MA have to endure. Kicking, high or low, do have an impact on knees, either because having to carry the entire weight or because the strength going through when impacting. Also, some MA like muay thai incorporate knees into striking.

Grappling arts involve a lot of effort all around, and some submission techniques are applied directly to knees, so yeah. Maybe judo is a bit less stressing to knees than BJJ, but still implies a lot of effort.
>>
>>2573105
>WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A MARTIAL ARTS GYM:
To be able to see in the first place, be unbiased and objective.
- the coaches Are knowledgeable
- the coaches are able to evaluate students objectively
- the coaches can use their knowledge to solve problems and answer questions logically
- the physical conditioning methods follow scientifically valid facts
- in turn, people get better, people have fun, because of the fact that that's what makes a good gym, not despite the fact.
>>
>>2573170
>Some 25+ years old guy who practised basketball for 5 years will have an easier time to go pro than some 18 years old overweight NEET.
Unless that NEET happens to be of high intelligence and able to develop skill in a shorter amount of time than the Basketball player, once that NEET gets in enough shape, anyway.
But Being overweight doesn't necessarily mean that you're physically incapable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUrzBKVvvDY
>>
>tfw moving back to Houston
>tfw so many options to choose from that I don't know who would be the best for me

The good thing about College Station is that there was like 1 obvious option and thats it.
>>
>>2573505
stand there and eat them hits obviously
>>
File: heartbreaking.png (69KB, 205x219px) Image search: [Google]
heartbreaking.png
69KB, 205x219px
>not enough money for the monthly cost

Wish I could join this muay thai gym (or at least an mma gym) but their monthly's are outside my budget.
>>
>>2573505
Raise your guard and go diagonal back
>>
>>2573726
Boxing and maybe grappling
>>
>>2574660
>muay thai
>or at least mma
How is mma the at least option, most mma fighters practice muay thai and those who don't, practice kickboxing
>>
I saw Fist of the Legend the other day and Jet Li does all these crazy ass (standing) joint manipulations and shit. I understand you're not gonna be Steven Segal snapping peoples elbows in half, but do you think there might be some undiscovered merit in that area of grappling?
>>
>>2573385
I tend to keep things simple and break everything down: the less complicated your explanation, the more easily people can remember and copy everything.

Other than that, I like clustering: picking one central movement, and build techniques around it, always starting from the same point. This way, people get in dozens upon dozens of the core movement. For example, recently I taught an entire class on knee on belly, starting with the position, then transitions to retain control, then some submissions once people have gotten a grasp of how to retain control.

Also, I usually keep my warm-up fairly short, and try to work in things already related to the class subject.
>>
>>2573105
Why does that look like an Otonokizaka Summertime Uniform?
>>
>>2573933
That's a nice video

>>2575111
Look up Tuidi
Also everything you see in movies is an unrealistic glorified dance.
>>
>>2575283
why are you such a weeaboo
>>
What do you guys think of a combination of calisthenics and swimming instead of weight lifting? I think it builds your skills in a more useful way to martial arts
>>
>>2576517
Tbh you could have some weight lifting in there just for strsngth training. Calisthenics are fantastic though. Muh body awareness and all that.
>>
>>2576517
Lifting and calisthenics all the way as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>2576517
I've tried it, and it just doesn't go together like judo and lifting.
Feels good man.
>>
How long were you getting your ass kicked during sparring until you finally improved?
>>
>>2579374
Perfect defeat no damage taken my very first time.
>>
>>2573661
>but I don't have MMA experience, so *shrugs loudly*
Sometimes in MMA all your opponent will want to do in the moment is Box.
>>
Does anyone here have myopia?
I currently use glasses and take them off while rolling around in judo.
But I'd have to get lenses eventually, so my head doesn't hurt while sparring.

I'm just curious if anyone uses lenses and what their experiences with them are.
I really hate the idea of them, but I'll probably have to go for it anyway.
>>
>>2580206
Don't use them myself, but know several people who do. Doesn't seem to result in many problems actually.
>>
I regret not competing in mma sooner. I'm 25 now. Should have started in my teens.
>>
File: tmp_1492955994005256960257.gif (2MB, 340x246px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_1492955994005256960257.gif
2MB, 340x246px
I am trying to find a good kickboxing place, but everywhere I look is le mauy tai. Is there basically no difference these days or are they that rare?
>>
>>2581508
it's better anyways.
>>
I had myopia but I never wore glasses or lenses while sparring. I don't know how bad is your vision, but as long as you can see the shape of the opponent at combat distance and where his limbs are I guess you're good to go.

Anyway I got laser eye surgery and now I can see even my opponent's skin defects.. feels good, highly recommend it.
>>
>>2580713
Nothing you can do about it now so no reason to beat yourself over it
>>
>>2581508
>Is there basically no difference these days or are they that rare?
Kickboxing is just Modern Muay Thai but without knees, elbows, and grappling. Modern Muay Thai is just Kickboxing with Knees, elbows, and grappling.
>>
>>2581610
striking without glasses is a guaranteed foot to the face for me
>>
>>2581508
Kickboxing doesn't have takedowns.
>>
Would it be weird asking your coach if he could recommend you another place to continue training?

I don't want to be a TJ to his Urijah. I'm just graduating and have to move
>>
>>2573105
Where do you buy your rubber training pistols and rifles? Looking to try parkour with a rifle-shaped object without frightening people and to practice CCW scenarios in the dojo.
>>
>>2573132

Nope,alot of guys started between 20-25 especially at higher weight classes
>>
>>2579374
A week against other white belts in BJJ, a year in Muay Thai.
>>
>>2583937
I don't see it being a problem if you explain that you're moving.
>>
File: life is hell.jpg (1MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
life is hell.jpg
1MB, 1536x2048px
>>2573105
I used to be an avid /fit/izen and /asp/ie (including, at various times: weightlifting, bodyweight training, parkour, running, wrestling, judo, BJJ, TKD, FMA, SCA) before a nasty period of my life (now over) reduced me to a pathetic empty and broken shell of what was once a human being. I can't find my old motivation to train even though I quit my job and have no hard obligations keeping me from training or studying. Wat do? How do I relight the fire? I just can't seem to care anymore, I just feel tired and worn down.
>>
>>2583941
Amazon.com.
Now that you've mentioned it, I would like to at least try Parkour with a pistol.
>>
>>2584476
>Amazon.com
Any particular keywords you use? I'm trying to find a training proxy for my M&P Shield 9, tried "rubber," "training," and "blue gun."

>>2584476
>I would like to at least try Parkour with a pistol.
It makes rolling more interesting. Trying it with a rifle should be a right pain in the ass.
>>
File: Tactical Roll.gif (1MB, 260x146px) Image search: [Google]
Tactical Roll.gif
1MB, 260x146px
>>2584535
>I'm trying to find a training proxy for my M&P Shield 9, tried "rubber," "training," and "blue gun."
I don't know about finding a replica of that specific gun, but you could always mold and make your own.

>It makes rolling more interesting.
Seems like it. Even with certain holsters, the gun could get in the way.

>Trying it with a rifle should be a right pain in the ass.
If it's more of a tactical roll, it's not too bad, but if you're rolling to disperse the impact from a landing, it seems so.
>>
>>2584558
>I don't know about finding a replica of that specific gun,
I did a web search, and it turns out Blueguns is a registered trademark of Ring's Manufacturing Inc., who sells blue training guns marketed through blueguns.com. They have an M&P Shield Bluegun that I've found at different retailers in the $40-50 plus shipping price range, which is slightly more expensive than I'd like.

>but you could always mold and make your own.
Ever done this yourself? What's the process like?
>>
Where would I go to learn Hung Gar Kung Fu? It's something I've always wanted to learn and I'm in a position right now where I can move anywhere in the united states. I know it probably has very little application in actual self defense, I just like it as an art form.
>>
>>2584472
>How do I relight the fire?
Train and realize it's actually fun instead of an obligation. You'll feel more energized and less worn down for one.
>>
How does HEMA larping have more replies than martial arts?
>>
>>2585040
>>2537357
>Guys, why this thread that started 12 days ago have more replies than this other one from 2 days ago?

I wonder the same...
>>
>>2584472
What happened?
>>
>>2585040
>>2585100

Long story short:

>/asp/ being the greatest martial arts board on the whole web
>hiroshimoot decides to move wrestling from /sp/ to /asp/ because "why the hell not?"
>/asp/ie's scream in agony, because now it's 10 "paiges feet" threads a day, pushing every serious content away
>wrestling fags want their own board and even threaten to kill /asp/ with their spaming
>hiro doesn't give a shit
>people try to convince him for weeks
>finally people give up
>complete martial arts comunity as well as other alternative sports like parcour, spelunking and whatnot vanish over night
>somehow HEMA people don't give a damn and decide to stay
>and that's how hiro killed /asp/

The End.
>>
>>2585453
I thought /mag/ was trying to move to /fit/ seems like a natural transition since most people get into martial arts to get /fit/
>>
>>2585515
Martial arts will always be more about things like sport, philosophy, and fighting, than being fit.
>>
>>2585453
>>2585515
>>2585542

I, for one, would happily have us move to /fit/. Martial arts is fitness of the mind, soul and body. It'd save us so much grief and there would be more potentially relatable threads adjacent to ours. At this point, /asp/ is a containment board for /wwe/ and its true purpose dissolved long ago.

More importantly, we might bring more /fitizens/ into the fold of martial arts than /aspies/, as sad as it is to say.
>>
>>2584472
>>2585034

Very much this. You do it because it makes you happy. It stirs the mundanity of life. Any excuse you can make to at least do it a little bit of it at a time: To stay healthy? To show friends neat tricks? To have a conversational topic to discuss?

Think on how much it means to you, how much it makes up your being and defined you as an individual.

I could even recommend sparring possibly, just out of the blue. Regain a sense of humility if you need to.
>>
>>2585453
ya finna seefin
>>
File: Chuck Jhonson.jpg (65KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Chuck Jhonson.jpg
65KB, 900x900px
Can anyone explain me the "chinese are scammers" meme?

>>2573105
Is that Chuck Johnson?
>>
>>2584472
If you don't start again to train you're not going to get better. The first step is the hardest, then keep on going, Try yoga and dancing for a while, it can help find your path again.
>What happen that broke you down?
>>
>>2585849
No, just keep both, what about the people who come back to /asp/ to check if there are/there are still martial arts?
>>
File: 1458225771521.png (946KB, 1400x5552px) Image search: [Google]
1458225771521.png
946KB, 1400x5552px
>>2585939
>>
>>2585040
Shouldn't be burning bridges man
>>
>>2585542
>>2585849
I mean I can understand you but we need to be sensible. This board is just for fat wrasslin autist, they will never pick up a martial art. Meanwhile if we go to /fit/ we'll get organic traffic from people just looking for a new way to test themselves. It gets boring lifting without purpose.

>>2586139
or this. We can just have both.
>>
>>2586890
Huh? We already tried moving to /fit/, and memes aside, /mag/ is nowhere fast enough to sustain a general in there. Those threads rarely go over the 150 replies before being archived.

Also, every now and then, /fit/ have semi-serious threads related to martial arts, but usually die without trying.

>>>/fit/41200217
>>>/fit/41205588

I already said this once, will repeat it as many as required: /asp/ was created because many of the sports that were intended to come here, are sports that require active involvement from their fans. They are niche sports, and moving wrasling here was a complete and stupid mistake that can't be undone by any other way except kicking the autism from here. We, as martial arts fans, have no other place to go.
>>
The last /mag/ thread I've seen in /fit/ felt even better than the ones we have here. But I agree that we must never leave /asp/.
I remember when we used to have threads for specific martial arts instead of one lonely thread for all of them.

>>2586168
Thank you.
>>
>>2587343
Why don't you faggots do that then? Nobody is isolating you.
>>
File: Dam Son.jpg (30KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
Dam Son.jpg
30KB, 640x640px
>>2584629
>where I can move anywhere in the united states.
>>
>>2584591
>I did a web search, and it turns out Blueguns is a registered trademark of Ring's Manufacturing Inc., who sells blue training guns marketed through blueguns.com. They have an M&P Shield Bluegun
Makes sense.

>that I've found at different retailers in the $40-50 plus shipping price range, which is slightly more expensive than I'd like.
More expensive than I'd like, as well, but it doesn't seem too bad.

>Ever done this yourself?
Nope.

What's the process like?
It seems like you just make a mold, fill the mod with hot plastic, rubber, or something, maybe some weights, and then let it cool; break and or remove the mold, and finish the product with some trimming and or sanding, maybe some detailing?

Maybe something similar to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTEiKCLVllg
>>
>>2583937
Why would it be weird? It would only be weird if youd ask him without context.
>>
>>2587462
Try it, and see how long the thread lasts.
>>
What do you guys think about training on vacation?
I want to fly to thailand, and I thought that if I'm there I might as well train in muay thai. Thing is I don't know a single word in Thai. Anyone has any experiences?
>>2588888
fucking checked
>>
>>2588985
>Thailand
Never been there, but can confirm there's plenty of places that are both high level and cater to tourists.

I occasionally drop by in a Judo or BJJ place when abroad. Managed to do so last weekend, had fun. Also kindly tore everyone a new one. Bitches don't know 'bout my kimura through half guard. :3
>>
>>2588455
Why would it be gone? Mandrama spam? Spam back with useless threads
>>
>>2589491
We tried that initially, and we lost. They had the advantage as our people actually leave their keyboards to do things IRL. After that, our numbers dwindled and many of our regulars left.
>>
>>2589491
Try it, and see how long you last.
>>
>>2589678
>>2589688
Seems to be a lot of giving up for a bunch of martial artists.
>>
>>2589678
>>2590153
Yeah, you guys are being a bunch of quitters. You can make more of a stand if you tried harder.
>>
>>2580206
Get some of those contact lenses that you wear at night and take out when you wake up, and then you can see for the rest of the day. I don't know what they're called but I've had them forever.
>>
Getting hit in the bicep really sucks.
>>
>>2590153
>>2590359
>10 vs 200
>>
>>2590153
>>2590359
Nah, it's just that instead of shitposting on the internet I prefer to train.
>>
>>2591308
That's just 20 each person.
>>
>>2591540
Doable if they line up and take turns.
>>
>>2591747
Or if they're unarmed and you know how to use dual wielded machetes against multiple opponents, and are able to apply your knowledge well in order to do so.
>>
>>2592601
Fair point anon. I should be looking into that in case they don't line up.
>>
>>2592641
Nothing beats a well-placed pipebomb.
>>
>>2585034
>>2585439
>>2585858
>>2586114
>What happened?
A bunch of little things kind of snowballed and I ended up trapped with all that shit while working 70+ hour weeks in a job that sapped my physical and mental health. I quit my job, but I'm still out of shape, in pain, mentally numb, depressed, and now running out of money and about to lose my health insurance.

>Train and realize it's actually fun instead of an obligation
But it's not fun anymore, that's the problem. My shoulders hurt, my back hurts, my flexibility is gone, my reflexes are gone--there's no meditative flow, I just ache and feel old and get hit a lot. By the time I get through the depression and anxiety to show up late to SCA practice, armor up, and start fighting enough to feel a little bit better, practice is over. I haven't been able to muster up the drive to really train consistently outside of showing up late to practice--for instance, I just spent a couple of hours staring between my floor, my pell, and my running shoes, trying to convince myself to do some pell work or footwork or breakfalls or pushups or fucking ANYTHING.

>try yoga and dancing for a while, it can help find your path again
Another complicating factor is that I've kind of been floating between three different localities, trying to get loose ends tied up and things put together for my next move. I'd totally do a yoga class if I could attend with any regularity. I used to like some kinds of dancing, but I don't have a handle on my social anxiety enough for that right now--I went to a contra dance a couple months ago and just sat in my vehicle out front, too anxiously crippled to go in. Instead, I watched as everyone showed up and eventually left.

>Think on how much it means to you, how much it makes up your being and defined you as an individual.
It was the core of the identity of the me that died. I'm struggling to revive that better man.
>>
File: memories.jpg (315KB, 1632x1424px) Image search: [Google]
memories.jpg
315KB, 1632x1424px
>>2592643
>>
>>2590153

>Seems to be a lot of giving up for a bunch of martial artists.

This is unfair. We were outnumbered, but we never run out of courage. But eventually we were running out of time..

You see, there's just a huge crowd of wrestling fans. A lot of them being manchildren that love to piss people of just because reasons. I remeber those moron haveing a new thread every few minutes like "post the wrestler with the best costume", "post the best chines wrestler wiht one eye" and stuff like that. Only to piss the martial arts community off. And the mods did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Before the wrestlers, /asp/ was a very slow moving board. You could have a nice grappling thread for a week, with a lot of good content and very solid advice. I learned a lot here..
And suddenly you have to bump your thread every 2 hours so it doesn't get killed? Thanks but no thanks.

>>2592683

There is a saying:
when you sart a new martial art, you have to "empty your cup", you have to (temporarily) forget about what you learned and start over again.

It's basically the same after a long break. The first steps are very hard, because you will compare yourself to your former self, and that will make you feel even more sad.

Forget about that!
Start something you enjoyed in your past, maybe something less "physical" like FMA. And try to think you are doing it for the first time. Get back your flexibility, everyday a little bit more. Just suck up the frustration, forget about it.

And then something strange happens:
It will all come back when you expected it the least. Suddenly you remeber certain movements. The fun, the power, it all comes back. You will have enough power to fix your miserable life.

Just make this first step, even if you can't afford shit, go jogging, do some pushups or whatever.

I've done that, been there. Had a break of years and it took me a few month to even start again. But it's great to be back in the game, even though my goals are slightly lower nowadays..
>>
>>2590153
Knowing what is and isn't a waste of your time is also part of it.
>>
Anybody else a big time fan of their coach? He's 51 and is dan 7 in karate. Obviously he doesn't do any pro fights anymore but I'm still just so amazed by him and mesmerized whenever I see him
>>
>>2592880
Mine from when I lived in Pittsburgh has a Wikipedia page. He's still one of my favorite people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyu_Ha_Kim
>>
Can somebody elaborate on the 'you need money to practice BJJ' meme?
>>
>>2593172
BJJ schools are typically a lot more expensive than, say, judo or boxing schools.
>>
>>2592859
>I learned a lot here..
I learned that the people here have a lot to learn.
>>
>>2592859
>But it's great to be back in the game, even though my goals are slightly lower nowadays..
Stop being a pussy.
Get your shit together, son.
>>
>>2593172
They may be twin arts, but one of the primary differences between the two is the attitude when it comes to lineage.
Jigaro Kano founded judo, and one of the groundbreaking things that he brought to his schools was the idea your lineage, your dojo, your family, and your wealth didn't matter. The only thing that mattered was what you brought to the mat. He made everyone wear the same three articles on the mat (jacket, belt and pants). No logos, just the skill you brought when you step on the mat.
BJJ, on the other hand puts a lot of emphasis on lineage, who you learned from, who they learned from, and what dojo you represent.
In Judo, you can literally download the textbooks that Kano wrote for free from the dojo he founded and practice the techniques with a friend and no one gives a shit. There are 100 techniques, and no one is trying to bullshit anyone. A dougi and a mat is all you need.
In contrast, it is typical to see bjj gis plastered with logos and branding from your dojo, where they will tell you that they got their blackbelt from someone important.
Show up with a simple gi and learn some judo with the textbooks that are readily available from your local library, or enroll in a bjj class where you have to wear a branded gi, branded rash guard and be spoon-fed only as many techniques as your 'professor' see fit so long as your check clears.
>>
>>2593352
>I learned that the people here have a lot to learn.
Everyone has a lot to learn.
>>
>>2593419
>No logos
Fuck. I have some patches from a judo dojo I visited that I had intended to sew onto the gis I purchased out there. Is that a faux pas?
>>
>>2593419
You have a very ahistorical vision of what Kano taught. EArly students were required to sign oaths, and like most Japanese arts at the time who your teacher was and what dojo you studied at were very important.

I'm pretty sure Kano would have a big problem with someone teaching his art without authorization.
>>
>>2593600
Not really. Not sewing your dojos logo is not a statement usually, but sewing it is a statement of belonging. No one cares if you sew or not.
>>
>>2590513
With what?
>>
>>2593677
Have you read the book he wrote? He believed that everyone should learn judo.

Here are the the technique textbooks by the way.

http://kodokanjudoinstitute.org/en/waza/forms/textbook/
>>
File: flair.jpg (142KB, 758x688px) Image search: [Google]
flair.jpg
142KB, 758x688px
>>2593419
>>2593677
Both poster are correct. Kano thought that every man, woman, child and some dogs should learn at very least, the basics of judo. He saw it as a basic skill, like handwriting, that everyone should know.
However, he had very high standards for the people that he promoted to teachers.

>>2593600
Go ahead and sew away. The point is that most judoka are not going to care if you have them or not.
The point above is that it is typical for judoka to have a rather plain gi, while the jitz gis look like nascar jumpsuits in comparison.
>>
>>2593419
In Japan, from high school to University Judoka got their school name sewed in their competition gi. Pros in Japan, usually train in a big company judo team and also have the company name sewed.
For BJJ it is kind of similar, but there is no gi tradition compared to what you can experience in Japan, so people rather patch their school name than sew it.
Now regarding the Judogi, it is cultural, but Kano chosed a a kind of working/warrior gi that was used for people that work outside. The gi look comes a lot from this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wabi-sabi

>>2593600
>I'm pretty sure Kano would have a big problem with someone teaching his art without authorization
This so much.
>>2593997
Some student were expelled by Kano. Kodokan doesn't want to talk about because it is a shame for them.
>>
>>2593119
>heart transplant

Holy shit
>>
>>2594234
He was back on the mats within a month.
>>
>>2593187
Wew, how expensive could it be? Sadly, there's no way of knowing shit like this because most gyms/dojos here are real anal about their pricing and you have to call personally to ask for monthly fees.
>>
>>2592683
Man, that really sucks. But you will overcome it, i am sure.

Maybe you should try out convict conditioning? I know it has its problems, but it really helped me to get started on training after 10 years of neglecting my body. Plus you only need a floor to do most of the stuff.
>>
>>2594127
>Some student were expelled by Kano. Kodokan doesn't want to talk about because it is a shame for them.
Would you care to elaborate a bit, please?
>>
File: 1491701567490.jpg (17KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
1491701567490.jpg
17KB, 720x405px
Local place is offering Judo and Jujutsu for $50 a month, but with testing fees for each kyū. Should I go for it? I don't know shit about any of this, so help is appreciated.
>>
>>2594766
$50 per month is pretty good, go for it.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>2573105
I just watched this US Army WWI hand-to-hand training video (silent video, have music ready if you need it), it was kind of cool. What techniques from what arts do you see? There was a pretty good mix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga4zLsMmkE0
>>
>>2595222
The man who developed that system, Robert Smith was one of Kano's first western students, back when judo was still called Kano jujutsu.

He actually wrote a manual on his method, it even included a large section on hara development, something that was common in traditional jujutsu styles but is mostly absent from modern judo
>>
>>2595281
I thought there was an awful lot of judo in that, pretty cool. Any idea what the manual was called? I did a quick search and none of it looked right.
>>
>>2584472
I know the feel.

Science says to give it time, bro.
>>
>>2595336
Got the name wrong, Allen Smith, here is an online copy

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/book/lookupid?key=olbp28714
>>
>>2595222
It all just looks like Krav Maga.
>>
File: 92523420-vollbild.png (241KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
92523420-vollbild.png
241KB, 1920x1080px
>looking for fight simulators
>find this on Steam
>Ultimate Fight Manager 16
>>
File: c mcgreg.jpg (56KB, 400x563px) Image search: [Google]
c mcgreg.jpg
56KB, 400x563px
How muscular can you get by only doing martial arts? How muscular can you get by only doing Kickboxing? How muscular can you get by only doing MMA? All without any of the workouts and exercising focused things. Only drills, hitting the heavy bag, sparring and stuff.
>>
>>2595622
Judo will make you the most swol as you are lifting people.
>>
>>2595622
You can't at all
>>
>>2595622
Martial Arts is all cardio. You won't build shit.

Do a strength training program and eat 1000+ surplus of your TDEE if you plan on also doing MMA.
>>
>>2595622
If you wanna look swole, then do a bodybuilding routine.
>>
How do you guys deal with sparring injuries? I've never had anything broken, but even something as a sprained finger is annoying enough.

Lately I find myself holding back in combat and being kinda afraid of it, especially when my opponent is a lot bigger than I am.

Am I just being a pussy?
>>
File: 1468390180480.gif (3MB, 265x200px) Image search: [Google]
1468390180480.gif
3MB, 265x200px
How it came to this?
How did a /mag/ become necessary in /asp/?
This board used to not be flooded of WWE shit but with different martial arts related threads while making fun of Win Chun & Aikido.
What happened /asp/?
>>
>>2596414
Always as a rule of thumb go no more than 70%. Sparring should be a learning experience.
>>
>>2594824
Judo should be around twenty bucks a month at a community center
>>
File: commit zawaku.jpg (212KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
commit zawaku.jpg
212KB, 480x480px
Lads here are my training options
MMA place that offers boxing, muay thai, and submission wrestling - 50€ a month
Jiu-jitsu place that also offers kickboxing, and some crane-kicking wristlocking calling-the-instructor-sensei-while-bowing jiu-jitsu in addition to BJJ - 420€ a year for kickboxing + bjj (The year is split into 3 seasons each costing 140€)
Judo and boxing at separate places - Adds up to 450€ a year

Jiu-jitsu place is in competitions the most successful BJJ gym in my country, but the MMA place is closer and has instructors with MMA fights.
>>
>>2597049
I believe that MMA is the ultimate rule set, as it is the only way to express the style of no style.
>>
File: 20170430_095647.jpg (903KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170430_095647.jpg
903KB, 1080x1920px
>>2595622
t. 20 hours of Muay Thai and BJJ every week and nothing else
>>
Is it true the more you get KO'ed the easier it becomes?
>>
>>2597361
getting a concussion makes you more unacceptable to them each time, and also takes it harder to recover after each one
>>
>>2597049
Start with the MMA place for 2 months because MMA is based.
>>
>>2595714
>>2595965
>>2597072
So just a little swole?
>>
>>2599368
it's all cardio and aerobic exercise, lots of high rep low impact maneuvers over and over. You will have good muscular stamina and be in shape, but if your goal is aesthetic gains then martial arts isn't what you should be looking at
>>
>>2600966
I'm not asking because I want to be aesthetic. I'm just curious.
>>
>>2597069
Only (You) can express the style of no style by exploring yourself through combat and training. It's a personal journey of hard work, blood and bruises, there ain't no shorcut.
>>
>>2601184
very muscular martial arts people are muscular because they do other things too
>>
>>2593119
My first boxing coach, he is retired now, but goes to the gym now and then. He was trained by Nicolino Locche and I saw him, in his sixties, beat boxers even younger than him with those amazing dodging skills.
The man has a simple mind full of wisdom and, in the gym, he imposed obedience through respect.
>>
>>2602642
Sorry. It was meant to >>2592880
>>
>>2596831
Depends on the location, instructor, and class frequency, desu.
>>
Hey everyone.
I want to fly to Thailand for vacation + training in muay thai. Is that a good idea? Does anyone have any similar experience? I don't know Thai at all, is that a problem?
>>
>>2603551
Nah, there's plenty of people travelling to Thailand for Muay Thai, many of them without prior experience.
>>
>>2597361
It's also true that you get brain damage from getting hit in the head.
We need realistic VR MMA combat devices so we can fight with low risk of fucking up our futures.
>>
>>2604290
If we had realistic VR simulators, we could make a lot of the forbidden rules legal.
>strikes to the back of the head
>groin attacks
>attacks to the spine
>eye gouging
>kidney attacks
>small joint manipulation

Might as well go further, right?
>scratching
>biting
>>
>>2604302
>>strikes to the back of the head
>>groin attacks
>>attacks to the spine
>>eye gouging
>>kidney attacks
>>small joint manipulation
retard, don't you realize none of that stuff works!
lets just try to see some idiot use that bullshit in a real street fight against MMA! hah!
>>
>>2603551
>>
>>2604302
You realize that most of that stuff was legal in the UFC until people realized that groin shots and kidney attacks were useless in a real fight.
>>
>>2604601
Shut up, stupid.
Let's all watch while your MMA fighter gets his ass kicked by a MMA fighter who uses that "bullshit" to kick his ass.
>>
File: 1o8rnc.gif (3MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
1o8rnc.gif
3MB, 360x270px
>>2605394
Some people go on the internet and tell lies.
>>
>>2605459
Some people believe that their lies are true. It's not as bad as lying. These people are called delusional by people who know what's true. But these people are also called delusional by people who don't know what's true. Some delusional people will know what's true but won't know why it's true and wont actually know it's true.
>>
File: HappyTrump.jpg (258KB, 1699x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HappyTrump.jpg
258KB, 1699x1080px
>>2603551
>tfw you go to thailand to train how to become a fighter but just end up barebacking ladyboys every day until you're out of money and have to go back home
>>
>>2607441
>>tfw you go to thailand to train how to become a fighter but just end up barebacking ladyboys every day until you're out of money and have to go back home
>not having them bareback you
You sick, twisted pervert!
>>
>>2592683

I'd like to say something motivational, but I can't think of anything.

Also, I give you my props for being in the SCA! Meredies here! I'd like to get back into it at as well, but I feel your struggle.

I might post old .gifs of old /asp/ of myself and "Wu-Style Tai Chi Quan" and clips from the kicking contest or that picture someone made to make fun of me, in an effort to at least get a smile out of you, Anon! I just need to find my computer. But we're here cheering for you!
>>
File: one day you may.jpg (197KB, 634x825px) Image search: [Google]
one day you may.jpg
197KB, 634x825px
>>2595222
Fuck I love this old school stuff.

It's like getting back to basics.

All the clubs I go to
>except one which is taught by an old Burmese dude who punches you in the guts every now and then "Tuu keepa ru arert, sepakmingnow!"
focus on whatever the current "Official Rules" are.

It's like they [these old manuals] are from a simpler time where you trained a smaller portion of high percentile techniques, but trained hard and like good sportsmen.

Plus all the books are free!
>Anyone have good libraries I can check out? Kirk Lawson on Lulu has some good stuff hidden a few pages in

Not a fan of being referred to as a "Butting Negro", but I get it was the times so I dgaf.
>>
File: chunk.jpg (20KB, 432x282px) Image search: [Google]
chunk.jpg
20KB, 432x282px
out of shape 27 year old here
if I take up boxing now, will I be able to do golden gloves at the end of the year?

I just want to win something for once
>>
>>2609159
You'd have to work incredibly hard but anything's possible.
>>
>>2609217
redpill me on the skill level
if I really believe in myself will I be able to overcome the odds?
>>
>>2609313
Believing in yourself helps, but It's all about applying all of your knowledge and intelligence, and putting in the time and effort.
If you use the best training methods, if you take care of your body, if you try extremely hard, if you put in the time, you can definitely make it.
But every one of those is the hard part. You have to cast yourself away, leave your life behind, evolve into something better, become something strange and abnormal, weird.
Everything comes at a cost, and that's all of the other things that you could've done with your life, every singl minute, hour, day, year, every second that you could've spent on something else.
One you spend your time, you will never, EVER, get it back.
>>
>>2609313
If you won't fight, you won't win. Belief is required, but hard motivation is more important. When you pick a gym tell the coach immediately your intentions.
You have to start, if you don't start it won't happen, and the longer you wait the more the odds are going to dim away. Look for a place right now, and do some research and figure out a plan as soon as possible.
>>
File: Wu-Style Tae Ke Outi.gif (2MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
Wu-Style Tae Ke Outi.gif
2MB, 360x270px
>>2608459
>>2592683
>>2592834

Deploying old /asp/ memes. Brace yourselves.
>>
>>2610068
It's funny because Wu probably didn't intend to do a double jab.
>>
File: Side Kick.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
Side Kick.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>>2610068
>>2592683

I tried looking for Wu's original .gif and couldn't find a working copy, so have one of mine from ye olden "kicking contest". Hopefully this gives you a good laugh!
>>
File: Twist Kick.gif (1MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
Twist Kick.gif
1MB, 360x202px
While I'm posting these old .gifs of me from a while back, I've been meaning to ask: What would any advantage or disadvantage be of doing a kick like this (bad form notwithstanding)? I've never seen anyone teach a roundhouse that strikes from the opposite side from the leg you kick with and have consistently used it in sparring to throw people off. Am I only able to do so because of it being a low-tier quality kick, or is the weird pivot/rotation not generally considered versus other potential kicks to be used in the same scenario?

>>2610081

I don't even know what Wu was doing honestly.

I hope he's alright.
>>
>>2610096
That front kick is a simple evade. Then when the person is off balanced thanks to a terrible kicking form you can leg sweep the shit out of them and transition into full mount/arm bar/whatever the fuck you want to finish with. I mean he'd get single legged like fuck with that terrible ass nonsense telegraphed kick.
>>
>>2610068
Hahahahahaha are those supposed to be Muay Thai kicks? Ahahahahahahahaha!
>>
>>2610111

I think he practiced Tai Chi Quan supposedly, Wu did.
>>
File: wu style.gif (3MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
wu style.gif
3MB, 480x360px
>>2610087
>>
>>2610290

THANK YOU.
>>
File: 1417644253219.gif (1011KB, 375x269px) Image search: [Google]
1417644253219.gif
1011KB, 375x269px
Spending your time training and working hard is important, but it's also important to allow yourself to rest: not just your heart, lungs, and muscles, no.

It's important to rest yourself psychoogically.
Spend some time on things that you enjoy.
If you enjoy working hard and training martial arts, good for you; I also enjoy stuff like that, but not all of the time.
Give yourself some time to do something like watch a movie, go to a concert, listen to music, watch some TV shows read a book, make visual art, play video games, shoot the shit with some friends, and maybe drink a few beers (in moderation; don't fuck upyour fucking body with too much drugs (alcohol is a drug), better if you just go without it, generally speaking, anyway); it can also include being totally alone and doing jack shit, especially if you're an introvert.

Personally, if I've spent some time over the week to craft some tools and equipment, and play some musical instruments, or something, I don't feel as much like a negative, sad sack of shit.

If your mind is healthy and rested, like your muscles, it performs better.
By spending your time by not training martial arts, you get better at trainig martial arts.
>>
>>2610111
You're being a meanie, Anon!
>>
>>2610692
>maybe drink a few beers (in moderation; don't fuck upyour fucking body with too much drugs (alcohol is a drug), better if you just go without it, generally speaking, anyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtqa7novlug
>>
>>2573105
Who does good combat cinematography on YouTube?
>>
>>2612116
That's a good question. Another good question is: Who does realistic combat cinematography on YouTube?
>>
>>2612168
That was actually the question I meant to ask, but alas, I am mentally deficient.
>>
>>2595281
What was the book?
>>
>>2612240
>>2595350
The Secrets of Jujitsu: A Complete Course in Self Defense by Captain Allan Corstorphin Smith

Here's a .pdf version:
http://www.constructionknowledge.net/public_domain_documents/Div_1_General/Basic_Skills/Secrets_of_Jujitsu_1920.pdf
>>
>>2610111
That video is a parody recreation of an old retard trip's taekwondo demonstration
>>
>>2612686
>an old retard trip's taekwondo demonstration
as seen here:
>>2610290
>>
should i buy my gyms gay logoed up gi, they're an mma gym too so its extra cringe worthy
>>
>>2612700
Only if it's considered disrespectful to not have it.
>>
>>2612708
update i emailed every judo dojo in town begging for them to sell me a gi on zero notice, and one of them replied in 10 minutes and now im getting a non autism one in time
>>
>>2612869
>>2612700
>being this self conscious about your gi
No one cares about your gi
>>
>>2612698
>>2612686
>an old regard trip's Wu Style Two Chi Quan demonstration*

FTFY. Good memory though, since the context was him demonstrating it had kicks like GOD if I remember correctly.

It's more hilarious knowing it's some bozo-tier chinse mystical martial art.
>>
>>2613239
>Like TKD
>Phone autotranslates to GOD

I'll be seeing myself out.
>>
>>2613241
I don't see the difference.
>>
>>2613413

Between TKD and Tai Chi?

One of them is LARPing and the other one is chinese.

Huehuehue.
>>
I want to start training BJJ, but I'm not really in the best shape. I'm not overweight but i have average strength and conditioning at best, should i work on general fitness before i start?
>>
>>2613440
BJJ will take care of that for you.
>>
>>2613440
If you overwork your body, you mess up your body, and need more recovery time.
If you spend more time recovering, while spending the same amount of money on a membership, you get less training per dollar.
If you spend some time getting into shape before training, you get more training per dollar, but less time training per life span, if you still don't over work your body.
If you can only physically make it through the first 40min of the 2 hours you paid for, but keep going, you will get less training per dollar, along with less time training per life span.
If you keep yourself within your limits and train for the first 30min of the 2 hours you paid for, and then stop, stretch, get an excellent amount of sleep, so you don't fuck up your body, then, if you stick with it, you will end up with more time spent training per life span, however, you will still end up with less training per dollar, just not as little as you would've ended up with if you over worked your body.

Also, average varies from place to place.
Some average people from some place would be more out of shape than average people from some other place, and would therefore end up with varying rates of time spent training per dollar, and time spent training per life span.
>>
>>2613474
Boxing and or judo will also take care of that for you, is generally cheaper, and when you do take BJJ after, you will have cross-trained, and be a more well rounded, martial artist, with a more well rounded martial arts education, better ability to play MMA, and better ability to generally kick ass.

But do you know what will help even better? Learning how to mix Boxing, Judo, and BJJ, instead of spending the time, energy, and resources, to do it yourself.
However, it helps strengthen your mental state more by doing it yourself, at the cost of efficiency.
Though, the strengthened mental state does contribute to being more efficient.
Relativity is the world, and all of that what not.
>>
>tumble drying my gi
>dad comes in
>your stuff was still damp so I put it on for another cycle
>he put it on for 45 minutes with heat
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>2613582
It's alright, bro; it's all dust in the wind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH2w6Oxx0kQ
>>
>>2613440
BJJ is the great equalizer of martial arts
>>
>>2613634
ya know, I've really given this thought. There's this big heavy guy at jiujitsu and I don't know why I would ever grapple with him
my mobility is my advantage over him, why would I intentionally take that away from myself? That's sort of the fatal flaw with the ground fighting narrative.
>how to fight someone bigger than you
well, certainly not by doing something where size is the #1 factor, where as speed, agility, and balance make no difference at all
>>
>>2613634
MMA is the great equalizer of martial arts.
>>
>>2613638
>size is the number one factor
it's not though. What is being big going to help you when you're caught in side, or mount, or half guard?
>>
>>2613641
Well that's true but it's not what I meant. I meant that bjj is pure technique
>>
>>2613646
I am stronk guy
If someone is smaller than me I don't even need to get clean escapes, I can just bully them over. when it comes to the little guys the only way they get upper hands is by doing silly shit like inverted guard and cheese ball lapel play, and what that amounts to is they are surviving through the grace of the fact I'm not allowed to start dropping elbows and shit on them, so they can do all these retarded grappling maneuvers you could never do in a real fight
>>
>>2613650
All martial arts are like that, BJJ isn't special.
>>
>>2613507
You need to stop babbling anon. It'll improve your life.
>>
>>2613425

Technically Tae Kwon Do was invented in China, since Korea was under Chinese rule at the time, right?

I didn't know Tai Chi Kwon was LARPing!
>>
>>2613773
no u
>>
>>2573105
Do we have any stunt professionals ITT? What do you use for elbow and knee pads?
>>
>>2613776

Are you serious?

Taekwondo is a karate offshoot
>>
>>2614136
You use what can be best hidden, genius
>>
>>2614179
No shit, jerkass. I'm sure some brands and products are better than others.
>>
>>2614136
>elbow pads
y4
>>
Let's be completely honest and forget "my own MA is the best" thinking. Which MAs are actually gonna help you in real world situations, because I've literally heard people say "it's useless" about every single one. Yes even the one you're thinking of right now anon.
From personal experience I know 2 guys who do Karate who won in a self-defense situation, one of them against 3 guys (that guy did Shotokan, dunno about the other).
>>
>>2614391
muay thai, bjj, wrestling, judo, boxing
>>
>>2614391
Boxing and judo.

Boxing teach the best way to not get hit is by not being in the way of the hits, that is, to do footwork, balancing your body and head from one way to another and always keep on moving. Also, punching have the advantage over kicking, because you keep better balance and are less likely to be tackled.

As for Judo, they also train a lot to keep balance, improve grip and throw the opponent the opponent into the ground. More often than not, slamming a guy into the hard cold pavement is enough to finish any fight, without the need to go to the ground along with him. Also, many techniques can be more easily applied on daily clothes because there are more loose ends and more surface to hold.

I know you haven't asked for the worst, but don't fall for the BJJ meme. Rolling on the ground in a street fight is very risky for a variety of reasons, but the most important is you're moving within the range of your attacker rather than away from it, which is one of the most basic rules in any self defence situation. I know /asp/ loves to jerk over BJJ, and as sport is fine and dandy. But as for street fight and self defence goes, it blows.
>>
>>2614391
Anything goes, what actually matters are other factors like how they move, how confident, how motivated, how fast and heavy they are. I think of course that being able to take and give a hit gives an advantage to full contact arts
You could say each art has different psychological priorities, like being determined, calm or confident
>>
>>2614391
see
>>2592643
>>
File: appleseedpromo[1].jpg (126KB, 630x297px) Image search: [Google]
appleseedpromo[1].jpg
126KB, 630x297px
>>2614377
I personally want them for preventing parkour injuries and limiting wear on my elbows during shooting classes.
>>
>>2614459
get stronker elbows desu
>>
File: watersports2.png (224KB, 398x621px) Image search: [Google]
watersports2.png
224KB, 398x621px
Today was the last day at my gym. Gonna be moving back home because I'm about to graduate from uni. Feel pretty sad leaving since I made so many friends there but everything ended on good terms. My coach recommended me a place but said its great but its more corporate (meaning I probably won't be spending nights at the gym getting one on one time with the head coach)

Not sure how to feel about that, but I'll check it out before I do anything. Just feeling sad saying goodbye to all those friends I made in those 4 years.
>>
>>2614170

Okay, okay, meming aside.

Is that actually true?
>>
>>2614798
what are you training
>>
>>2614819
Yes.
>>
>>2614825
MMA
>>
>>2614438
>Also, punching have the advantage over kicking, because you keep better balance and are less likely to be tackled.
Except you only have bad balance when kicking if you're shit terrible at kicking. You're just as likely to get tackled in a real situation kicking as you would be punching.

>>2614438
>As for Judo
The last thing you want to do in a real life situation is grapple. You should only grapple if you have no other option. It's way too easy to get swarmed if you grapple in a street fight.

Realistically speaking, your opponent is going to be a shitty ass striker who only throws haymakers, or some shitty wrestler who hasn't trained in years who can only throw right hand haymakers. He's also going to have friends.

All you need is to know how to use judo and kickboxing footwork, jab, cross, roundhouse leg kick, front push kick, avoid getting tripped and thrown, avoid getting taken down, 1 trip, 1 sweep, 1 takedown, and a little bit of ground game. But 7/10 times, all you need to do is stay in kicking range, throw 3 strong roundhouse kicks to the leg, if even that many, and finish the guy off with a punch or knee to the face, if you even need to finish him off after a leg kick or two.

Have you ever been to a bar in America? Some drunken chubby loudmouth will hit the floor like a sack of bowling balls after one kick to the leg.
>>
>>2614926
>Realistically speaking, your opponent is going to be a shitty ass striker who only throws haymakers, or some shitty wrestler who hasn't trained in years who can only throw right hand haymakers.
You don't need no hooks, you don't need uppercuts, you don't need overhands, you don't need hammerfists, you don't need elbows, you don't need knees, you don't even need pivots, you don't need to know how to counter 5 variations of tomoe nage, you don't need to know 7 variations of countering a side kick-roundhouse kick combo, you don't need to know how counter a counter to a counter of a version of a lapel choke, you don't need to know 10 ways to set up an omaplata, you don't need all of these specialized skills that training in one or two martial arts will give you.
>>
File: bodybuilder vs jiujitsu.jpg (109KB, 1067x599px) Image search: [Google]
bodybuilder vs jiujitsu.jpg
109KB, 1067x599px
Is this what BJJ guys are like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qxHARgZFgo
>>
>MMA gym has a belt system

Umm??
Real talk though: I've been doing BJJ for about 2 months now. However, I don't feel like I've been getting the best instruction because I feel the basic shit is still lost on me. I get that I'll be smashed consistently in class and will tape to constantly to everyone else but I don't feel like I'm learning much.

Is this how it's supposed to be? I was totally fucking lost today with our butterfly sweep into arm into americana into armbar all within 15 second drills. I still don't know how to properly do any of that aforementioned shit, or how to roll properly or shrimp or bridge or grip or posture, etc.

At least I've lost some weight and have gotten into better shape. What I really want to do is Kudo (MMA krotty & Judo with a gi and funny looking space helmet) -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF1zk_MBC3E but it's not available in America so MMA would be the next best thing.

My end goals are pretty much unarmed self defense, fitness and friendship.

What do you guys think?
>>
>>2615027
>What do you guys think?
>Kudo (MMA krotty & Judo with a gi and funny looking space helmet)
Sounds pretty cool.
>>
>>2614981
no
>>
>>2615027
thats some extraordinarily shitty boxing anon
>>
>>2613239
When he posted that he claimed he was cross training in both tkd and judo. He kind of slinked away from embarrassment after everyone made fun of him for that gif.
>>
>>2614658
I'm old and my joints are worn out.
>>
>>2614798
>I probably won't be spending nights at the gym getting one on one time with the head coach
Most gyms I've seen have a small group of super dedicated guys who show up during off hours or stay past close. Just work hard and get as much mat time as you can and you'll probably find a new home.
>>
>>2615072
He also claimed that he tore his hamstring from stretching like an idiot or something.
>>
>be in 1,000 + calorie surplus
>crave food
>eat 900 calories of ice cream
>still craving sustenance
>craving soda
>go to store
>get soda
>get more ice cream
>get some cheese and meat
>going to eat it all
>still going to probably want to eat after
>didn't train all day yesterday and today besides the occasional few punches and footwork here and there
wtf is wrong with me?
>>
>>2615097
Thanks pal.
>>
File: cat zingano.webm (1MB, 400x382px) Image search: [Google]
cat zingano.webm
1MB, 400x382px
What are your thoughts on this webm?

It's Cat Zingano doing what seems to be osoto gari as a double leg counter.
>>
Boxing or Muay Thai for self defense?
>>
File: Shirtless-Gif.gif (1MB, 400x224px) Image search: [Google]
Shirtless-Gif.gif
1MB, 400x224px
>>2615229
Neither. You just need to know how to sprawl, how to defend against haymakers, how to throw a jab, and how to throw a cross. On the rare chance that you get someone who took Karate or Taekwondo as a kid and still knows how to use it, look out for it.
>>
>>2615229
>>2615246
>look out for it
The roundhouse kick.
>>
>>2615229
All you need is the Muay Thai roundhouse kick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eToXYoH0cjY
>>
>>2615229
Apparently all you need is some haymakers and a nice turning or spinning heel, hook, side, or back kick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhR3R6pwH8U
>>
>>2615027
Kudo and combat sambo are the hypest shit desu, wish they would get popular so they could have more places all over/lots of skilled people trying it.
>>
>>2615229
Smartphone-fu. I just show my potential opponents a highlight reel of me beating people with sick counters, beast mode timing, and dope ass kicks, and then they're so intimidated by me and respect my skill so much that they back off.
>>
What is about martial arts that attracts weird/autistic people?
>>
>>2615486
The art part. Normies will always be more interested in being with friends, talking, and eating food, romance, and sex.
>>
>>2615510
Isn't video games also for normies? Didn't video games used to be for nerds? Now we have more people playing fighting video games than people actually fighting.
>>
>>2615072
>>2615112

Well shit, didn't know that much.

That's golden! Thank you for informing me!
>>
>>2613239
>It's more hilarious knowing it's some bozo-tier chinse mystical martial art.
That's something an uneducated, impulsive, miscomprehended, close minded person and martial artist would say, Anon.
>>
>>2615682
99.9% of CMA outside of sanda are mystical woowoo bullshit.
>>
>>2615512
Videogames were for autists, then of course they pandered to normies by becoming simplistic and bland because that's where the money is
>>
>>2573105
Had my first Taekwondo lesson last night lads, was quite relaxing to kick things
>>
>>2615200
She's obviously drilling there, and I think it could work if the double leg fails, but if your opponent comes in with enough forward drive or enough lift, you'll probably struggle to pull it off. It's worth trying it out for yourself to see how it works.
>>
>>2615486
Depends on the method, I don't find many weird people in judo, most of them are salt of the earth guys who just want to have a fun scrap.

It's the bullshit stuff like Aikido and Krav that attract the autists.
>>
>>2614981
This is a work for sure
>>
>>2615789
I would say 90% there are traditional Chinese martial artists who do that "woowoo bullshit" who are not afraid to cross hands, and who even did sanda in their younger days, and encourage their students to

Even among those who don't there are those who at least preserve the rubics of a valid fighting system
>>
>>2615486
who exactly likes to beat people and get beaten but weirdo
>>
How much brain damage can I expect from striking arts?
>>
>>2617137
Too much.
>>
File: kintsukuroi.jpg (60KB, 600x661px) Image search: [Google]
kintsukuroi.jpg
60KB, 600x661px
>>2615090
>I'm old and my joints are worn out.
>>
>>2617151
But what if I want to do striking?
>>
>>2602642
Nicolino locche is a fucking bum. Enjoy your memes
>>
>>2617137
if you're not competing, next to none
>>
>>2615027
It is normal to be lost up to your 6th month of practice in bjj. You'll feel the improvement in bjj only while sparing with brand new white belt. Because your team mates are to get better as you get better.
>Kudo is your goal.
Do boxing or mt on off days.
>>
>>2615200
I don't like it, would hardly work against an heavier oponent with a good shoot.
>>2615229
Whatever suits you best.
>>2615316
>combat sambo are the hypest shit desu
What?
>>
>>2617161
I'd like to put off the joint replacement until I'm a little older and PM&R tech has improved a bit. In the mean time, I'll think of donning old man protective gear as kintsukuroi.
>>
>>2617794
what kind of knee pads are you after? If you just need some light ones, the Mizuno VS-1's get a pretty good rep from judo guys.

Can't help you with elbow pads though unfortunately.
>>
>>2617693
Does it matter that much if I go for boxing or Muay Thai? Boxing has better footwork/defense and Must Thai has 8 limbs and better clinch.
>>
>>2617810
I'll probably need more than one pair for different purposes: grappling, parkour, and shooting from kneeling. Thee Mizunos look to be on point for that first purpose, thanks.
>>
>>2618162
Glad I could help, anon. Good luck with the rest of your search.
>>
>>2615229
Modern Muay Thai is Modern Kickboxing + Muay Thai, and Modern Kickboxing is a bunch of things like Boxing, Karate, Taekwondo, Dutch Kickboxing, Savate, American Kickboxing, and a bunch of other crap.
>>
>>2617161
So like...cybernetic replacement parts?
>>
>>2614926
>Have you ever been to a bar in America? Some drunken chubby loudmouth will hit the floor like a sack of bowling balls after one kick to the leg
I've seen every episode of Cheers and this never happened.
>>
>>2619159
Guy looking for elbow/knee pads here. If I can figure out how to pay for school, my ideal field of study is biomechatronic neuroprosthetics.
>>
>>2619033
>>2619033
So uhh.. either or?
>>
>>2619332
Both are good, MT probably handles grappling better. If those are your only choices, the quality of the two instructors is on par, and you can only choose one, choose MT. Take both if you can, take kickboxing if the instructor is better than the MT instructor.
>>
>>2619343
I don't think there's really any good kickboxing instructors available (may have missed them), but the MT instructor competed in Thailand apparently and beat some guy in 1995 called Super Rhino - AKA Neutherone at the Lumpinee.
>>
>>2619416
>hurr durr should I learn kickboxing from a shit instructor or muay thai from the real deal?
Now go out and train.
>>
>>2615229
Legs are stronger than arms and reach further. Compare the world record leg press to the world record bench press.
>>
File: Seattle Dojo patch.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
Seattle Dojo patch.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2593600
>>2593704
>>2594082
>>2594127
Where's the most aesthetic place to sew a dojo patch onto a judo gi?
>>
>>2619863
There's more things to consier than just how strong you could hit someone with it.
>>
File: Bruce-Lee-Side-Kick-Block.jpg (23KB, 400x323px) Image search: [Google]
Bruce-Lee-Side-Kick-Block.jpg
23KB, 400x323px
>>2619895
Ya like reach.
>>
>>2620791
And that's why TKD is the ultimate martial art that nothing else can beat.
>>
>>2619864
on the chest, not touching the lapel, that's it
patches are illegal in most other places because they interfere with grips, except for the back which you need to leave open for your registration number at the tournaments
>>
File: lapel.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
lapel.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>2621080
Thanks anon. Is embroidery permitted on the lapel? My old instructor wrote our names on our gis with a marker and I was planning on learning hand embroidery to make it more permanent (whenever it gets faded, I re-trace his writing).
>>
>>2621018
Except they don't train to use TKD against other martial arts, they just train to use it against TKD.
>>
File: capoeira.gif (264KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
capoeira.gif
264KB, 500x375px
>>2621213
literally this lolz

only random encounter fight TKD would win is if you are fighting someone that doesnt know anything about defense / striking / takedowns, at which point almost any training will do and be more effective
>>
>>2621213
My TKD instructors all cross-trained, mostly in judo but also in some other things. The judo class spent some time on striking and the TKD class spent some time on throws, breakfalls, and groundwork.

Yes, I do realize sport TKD schools that don't do self-defense exist, I was just sharing an experience.
>>
First BJJ tournament in almost 3 years tomorrow. First one in blue belt as well. Also, I'm going up against one of the country's better Judoka in our weight class, and he's been crosstraining almost as long as I have. Glad I've been doing Judo for seven years as well at this point, but still: whelp.
>>
>>2621261
Sounds like an excellent learning opportunity, anon. Best of luck.
>>
>>2621272
Rolled with him once three years ago. Caught him with a foot lock, so that'll be my game plan.
>>
>>2621161
probably not as there would be a texture to it

the regulations for that kind of stuff are so as to not interfere with being able to make grips. That way people don't put patches in key gripping areas and make them harder to hold
http://oceaniajudo.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/GuidanceJudogi-VER-GB-MODIFIE_02-02-2010-1.pdf
>>
>>2621243
Fucking wrastler. You're a black belt of nothing and you just leech off the experience of others.
>>
File: shocking picture of dog.jpg (734KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
shocking picture of dog.jpg
734KB, 2048x1536px
>>2621423
I train Muay Thai at a very highly respected gym and could not care less about what belt someone is in a discipline that I don't train / worry about. although Greco-Roman wrestling is a ridiculously effective 1v1 grappling style against anyone without any ground training or a 50lb+ advantage

I will say that I'd bet on any collegiate-level wrestler in a fight with a TKD purist nine times out of ten. well, seeya anon!
>>
>>2621473
You attacked TKD for not being all encompassing and then you take a mixed martial arts approach? Idiot.
>>
File: world class TKD title holder.jpg (62KB, 479x632px) Image search: [Google]
world class TKD title holder.jpg
62KB, 479x632px
>>2621501
I didn't take a mixed martial arts approach big guy, you called me a wrastler and brought up belts lol. I don't train Greco-Roman wrestling but dudes that are proficient at it to a high level are real good at winning fights. good luck at your next TKD recital (:

"I train Muay Thai" =/= "I train MMA"
>>
>>2621527
They don't do striking in wrestling and Muay Thai has nothing on TKD.
>>
>>2621570
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGC6pDRxm4I
>>
Should I go to open mats as a BJJ no stripe white belt?
>>
>>2622083
Yes, but you shouldn't go in there and expect to win every time against every single opponent. You also shouldn't expect to lose against every single opponent every single time, though. It really depends on a lot of things, and to truly know, how you will do under the conditions you will be in, against your opponents under in their current state, with how hard they will try, and all of the other stuff, you should just go and find out.
>>
>>2622124
Well I'm expecting to lose more than I win but my only concern is the possibility of rolling with assholes. I just want to learn and meet different people.
>>
>>2622019
Got that motherfucker.
>>
>>2622140
If your instructor doesn't keep the assholes in check, find a new instructor. Any reputable place makes a point to not break the new guy (or any teammates, for that matter).
>>
>>2622461
It's an open mat at a different place, actually. Heard good things about the instructor though so should be okay.
>>
>>2622536
Train hard and stay safe. If you're worried about it, just introduce yourself to whoever's in charge and tell them you're new, they'll probably make a point to keep any problem students away from you.
>>
>>2622461
serras just recently had a purge due to this. his gym attracted all the bro douches on long island and it was starting to effect his business so he started kicking people out
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.