[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/mag/ - Martial Arts General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 36

/mag/ - martial arts general
Bruce Lee edition

Previous thread:
>>2470061

Find an MMA Gym in the USA: http://www.findmmagym.com/

Styles of fighting:
http://www.ufc.com/discover/fighter/martialArtsStyles

BlackBeltWiki, great source of info, trivia and help:
http://www.blackbeltwiki.com/

Lifting for MMA:
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/how-to-train-strength-and-conditioning-for-mma

Beware the MCDOJOS:
http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com
>>
Hammerfist.
>>
File: 65895683457568959.gif (528KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
65895683457568959.gif
528KB, 500x281px
>>
I have a torn labrum bros. surgery is on the 9th of May. I want to die.
>>
Is there a preferred physique for Martial Arts?

For example, it seems that Boxing and Thai work better with leaner body types, while Judo and Wrestling work better with physiques like pic related
>>
How do I punch faster anons?

Just years and years of practice and I'll just be quicker after a while?
>>
>>2531138
>develop fast muscles
>develop psychological aspects for fast punches
>develop fast technique
>git gud
>>
Everyday is leg day, all techniques be it punching, kicking, or take downs, legs generate the most power for all of them.
>>
>>2530956
My sympathy, hope you recover well anon.
>>
>>2531123
Picking up people is easier when you're big.
Punching people is easier when you're skinny.
>>
I admire your effort but these threads are dead. We've lost the board
>>
>>2531138
When you train your muscles, make sure you do lots and lots of plyo.
>>
File: gIGn9Vv.jpg (233KB, 1280x1708px) Image search: [Google]
gIGn9Vv.jpg
233KB, 1280x1708px
>>2532605
feels batman, these were so comfy.
>>
>>2532605
>>2532754
There were only like 2 or 3 people bumping the last thread. We need to work together.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNFBNbbv5Bg
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXg_zR8KeME
>>
>>2531222
>Everyday is leg day
You need to let your legs recover every once and a while, bro.
>>
File: 1487483832815.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1487483832815.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
>tfw keep leaving my hands down and getting socked in the face

How can I correct this and get into the habit of having my hands up?
>>
First of all, I want to say how much I love and missed you all. I was listening to the BBC World Service talk about 4chan on my drive back from work and it made me want to come back.

>>2533264
>>2531138
The answer to both of these is mitt work with a decent partner.

Mitts are a perfect time to practice speed. Have your partner call a simple combination over and over again at a fast tempo. One particular drill that I like is calling a jab 10 times, a cross ten times, a hook ten times, a 1-2 ten times, and a 1-2-3 ten times and then repeating for a 2:30 round. Do three rounds of that and then shadow box, focusing on hands speed.

For dropping your hands, hit mitts for four minute rounds. Do three or four punch combinations and have your partner slap you in the face with the mitt and yell "hands up" every time you drop your hands. Aversion training really is the best way to break bad habits like this. You know how I know? I used to drop my hands mid-combo and I got broken out of it by getting knocked down by counterpunches in sparring over and over again until that habit was beaten out of me. I don't recommend that, (my nose has never been the same) but pain really is the best way to solve it.
>>
>>2531529
Thanks man. This fucks up my wrestling career, as I have one year left at college. I'll probably have to move on to BJJ and Judo earlier than I expected.
>>2532605
That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
>>
>>2533264
Just do it. Don't let your brain go into autopilot, stay conscious.
>>
What are some exercises for a beginner want to get into boxing? I do 100 push-ups, 100 squats, 200 sit-ups, 10 pull-ups, and 10 chin-ups a day, but I've never actually been in a fight, so I'm not sure what muscles I should focus on.
>>
>>2534330
Cardio is key, but your muscles are strong enough. No use in paying for 2 hours of Boxing only to gas out and not get anything else out of the 1 and 30min because you're so tired unless you have money to blow on nothing.
>>
>Fake jab
to
>Turning Backfist
to
>Cross
to
>Clinch-Knee
to
>Twin Front Push and or Distance
to
>Rear Leg Roundhouse Kick - Switch Stances with Kick
to
>Lead Hand Backfist
to
>Cross
to
>Fake Lead Hand Overhand
to
>Double Leg Takedown
>>
File: fw.jpg (69KB, 690x479px) Image search: [Google]
fw.jpg
69KB, 690x479px
>>2534845
>>
>>2534122
>Thanks man. This fucks up my wrestling career, as I have one year left at college. I'll probably have to move on to BJJ and Judo earlier than I expected.
Been doing both for over 5 years now, I can assure you they're good fun. Buttscooting and leg grabbing ban are retarded, but other than that there's loads of hilarious shenanigans to pull off.
>>
File: ijf 1.gif (829KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
ijf 1.gif
829KB, 250x187px
>>
>>2532605
You know? I kinda miss the anime pics on OP.

As we are today, almost the entire catalogue is filled with pics of half naked guys (blame the mandrama faggots), so adding another one doesn't help at all. Is just another pic to mentally filter.

I know not all people like anime, but at least it was refreshing and help to made the thread stand out.
>>
>>2535169
I refuse to buttscoot or pull guard. I'm planning on finding a gym where that kind of behavior is frowned upon.
>>
>>2535374
There's nothing wrong with Bruce Lee's toned, defined, hard body.
>>
Are surgeries mandatory for people who practice martial arts/compete?
>>
>>2535881
I once had appendix surgery.
>>
>Jab
>Leave Arm extended and Use arm to Backfist
>Cross
>>
>>2536733
>jab
>leave arm out to lap sao
>>
>>2536733
>parry
>duck
>overhand
nice try kid
>>
I'm on my 3rd week of BJJ and I'm having a blast. However, when I roll I always seems to forgot the sequence of techniques. How do I remember them? Or should not focus too much on that and just roll?
>>
>>2536958
focus on everything when you drill. have a basic idea of what you want to apply when you roll but dont force it, just go with the flow
>>
What fighting style is the best for someone who is huge and is going to face even bigger opponents?
>>
>>2533264
Those teeth!
>>
>>2535438
Same - generally, at least. A while ago I consistently pulled guard on white belts to improve my submissions from guard, because they still sucked ass after almost half a decade. That said, it'll always be more fun to me to send people flying, as long as they don't get hurt.

>>2536958
Stick to your guns and keep trying what you're taught at this point. You can discover new stuff later on, right now it's more beneficial to stick to your guns and keep trying what you know.

Also, don't spaz - but don't play dead either.
>>
>>2532605
>>2533028
Is there anything we can actually do at this point?
Has any even use the IRC?
>>
File: 1489905722397.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1489905722397.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>2538560
never used the IRC.
At least we could post good .gifs and .webms
With either ko's, submissions, perfectly executed technique, incredible asspull, good insight or tips.
>>
>>2538560
Martial arts have always been a niche interest. Activities that actually require people standing up from the coach and go out to sweat a lot will be way less popular than sitting, watching the screen and munching some snack.

/asp/ never had the chance to stand up to /sp/, because any of the most popular hobbies in the former will never close to be as popular to any of the hobbies in the later. In a sense, moot really had this clear in mind when he created /asp/, hence many things were forbidden at first. And forcing the mandrama faggots in here is the absolute opposite of said purpose, but apparently hiro is unaware of how toxic they can be.

In short, there's no way the martial artists from /asp/ can keep in check the autism from wrasling, and the best chance is to try to convince the hiro to remove that plague from here.

Will it happen? I want to believe.

In the meanwhile, keep this thread alive.
>>
>>2537535
Yeah. We should use different fighting styles to fight different animals.
>>
>>2533264
Eventually you're going to negatively associate having your hands down with getting punched and do it reflexively.
>>
This fight reminds me a little of Fish Fry vs Tea Kettle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49OzhzvI5l0
>>
>>2534330
Run bitch. Run a lot. The first problem you re going to run into if you start boxing isnt going to be not having enough muscle, it's going to be gassing out while your opponent is still raining down hits on you.
>>
>>2535438
I used to train judo, when I moved to another state I started training bjj at a really good MMA gym. I refuse to butt scoot or pull guard out of principle. But it kills me to say that there are a lot of effective fighters who do well with it.
>>
Is it too late for me to start judo at 18? I have no experience in martial arts, judo would be the first one.
>>
>>2540723
Most people pretty much run out of neuroplasticity at the age of 25 years. You should start doing a lot of things to help develop your brain while you're still young.
>>
File: mma_knee.jpg (64KB, 1008x756px) Image search: [Google]
mma_knee.jpg
64KB, 1008x756px
MMA with no arm strikes to the head because brain damage is real. But still head kicks and knees to the head like Kyokushin Karate.

Thoughts?
>>
>>2541230
Like kyukushin. Go train that if you're afraid of head punches.
>>
>>2541237
There's no grabbing, pushing, trapping, throws, clinch, and ground game, in Kyokushin. You can only do leg sweeps that don't use the hands. There's no ground and pound, and you can't really do any moves that have it so your hands touch the ground.
I want MMA, not some Karate Kickboxing.
>>
>>2541230
I feel like that would just end up being grappling 99% of the time
>>
Does getting thrown stop being disorienting? We did take downs today and I got thrown. I was super confused when I landed on the mat.

>>2538047
>>2537033
Thanks
>>
>>2541507
Did you hit your head on the mat or something? I don't find throws especially disorienting but I did judo when I was a kid so maybe that made me used to it
>>
>>2541507
Pretty much, though getting thrown in a new way can throw you off when you're not REALLY used to it.
>>
>>2541507
It does, when you start breakfalling correctly. Practice that shit.

>>2541257
So basically you want to gut MMA and take away a big part of the sport while simultaneously complaining that kyukushin is gutted and not open enough.

Sounds like a great idea.
>>
>>2541507
Yes. The first time you get thrown your brain doesn't understand how you made a full rotation in the air and landed on your back.

Then you have it done to you hundreds of times and in mid-air you're already thinking damage control (reclaiming guard or keeping your back off the mat, depending on the sport).
>>
>>2541230
Isn't this Pankrase rules?
>>
>>2540723
I am always baffled by this, why would people limit themselves by considering themselves too old when they're years away from their physical peak?

I started when I was almost 24 anon and I train alongside people who started in their thirties and forties as well, you should be on the mat already.
>>
>>2531222
most kicks don't come from the legs but from the cores
>>
UFC soon. who's watching
>>
>>2542726
>Have pay television.
>Like one month ago.
>Bellator transmission.
>Have nothing better to do.
>Oh, yeah, three hours of mma.

>LOL, yeah, no.

>At least 2 hours of tv ads and replays of the interesting bits. At best.

>Bellator again today.

Guess I'll have to stick to streaming again.
>>
It's been a while, /asp/. I hope y'all have been good since I've seen everyone last. Unfortunately, I've come on tough times and need some help and suggestions.

I've been doing Kukkiwon WTF TKD for roughly eight years, with maybe a month or two on occasion between trying to find good schools (until I went to my last school). I had gone back to help teach new students and obviously improve myself, but unfortunately, I started developing severe stomach pains over the course of roughly a year. I had to withdraw due to how severe the pain gets whenever I strenuously move, bend or anything and I hate it - I've trimmed my diet radically and taken medicine only to help somewhat. I supposedly have no ulcers or hernias, but I still doubt that. I haven't been back to class in roughly 6 months.

I do very badly want to at least get to 3rd degree, if not 2nd, but I sincerely don't know what to do. I love martial arts - martial arts are my life - but it's simply too painful these days, but I don't want to give up what has become my identity.

All I've known are hard-style martial arts, and the idea of switching to something softstyle scares me, but not as much as surrendering all together, both TKD or all together. I want to learn Judo someday, but as it stands, I feel that's currently out of the question.

What dietary / health tips and suggestions might anyone have? If I had to take it slow and steady, what martial art would you suggest, if any? I need your help, /asp/. Please. And thank you.
>>
>>2543224
last year i was also having stomach pain that couldn't be solved. all the tests came back clean, but since my family has a history with autoimmune disease my doctor prescribed nalcrom (sodium cromoglycate) which is a bit expensive even as a canadian but i found a does of 200mg in the morning is enough to get rid of the pain.

i haven't trained at my kwoon in almost a year dues to other shit, probably MS, but i couldn't think of a life without training at all. if you're a martial artist, you are going to face a lot of stuff holding you back at times. when you can't move forward, fix yourself first, you have a lot of years left to continue training.
>>
>>2543224
Did you go see a doctor? Maybe (by maybe I mean obviously) you have something
Could be ulcers, could just be you producing too much acidic stomach fluids. try eating more rice and cutting on spicy food
>>
>>2543323

>since my family has a history with autoimmune disease my doctor prescribed nalcrom (sodium cromoglycate) which is a bit expensive even as a canadian but i found a does of 200mg in the morning is enough to get rid of the pain

My mother actually had issues shortly after having me because of autoimmune problems. I may need to look deeper into that.

Glad to hear of other artists working through their difficulties though, too. It inspires me, thank you. I won't give up!

>>2543357

I did, yes. I used to eat incredibly spicy food, the sorts you needed to sign legal wavers to buy, so the fact I don't have any ulcers surprised me. I do produce a great excess of both bile and acid though I believe, but my medications help tame that for the most part, outside of strictly eating greens, grilled chicken, fish, etc.
>>
File: 1490046385166.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490046385166.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>2543367
what did the doctor tell you
>>
>>2543370

Roughly the same thing. Excess acid, cut back on food types, take meds.
>>
>>2543393
Well nothing more I can recommend you then if he told you what you should and shouldn't eat.
There is no low intensity martial art I know of except for things like aikido and tai chi, which might help you retain your mojo but you ain't going to get much more out of them than that.
If the problem is excessive movement bjj and judo are not about moving around as much as they are about using small precise movements to make your opponent submit.
>>
it's time to quit

I'm only 27 but I feel it, my memory is spotty and my words kind of slur a little bit these days. I guess that's enough for me
>>
>>2543436

You're fine. Body's just turning more instinct-based as a result of your martial arts improving. Soon you'll just be grunting as you kick and punch.
>>
File: PS_Messages_20170207_094747.jpg (625KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PS_Messages_20170207_094747.jpg
625KB, 1920x1080px
My knees are always sore and they crack quite a lot when I practice.

Is it over for me, buckos?
>>
>>2543573
>>2543436
It's never over you retards. Royce Gracie's last fight was at the age of 46, and that was an hour and a half fight. You can bet he's still training hard at the age of 51.
Hitting your limit is a great thing, that means you can have the goal of bursting through your limits. If the martial part is taking too much of a toll on you right now, put more focus into the art part. If you only do boxing or kick box or muai tai or savate etc it means it's time for you to learn bjj, judo, karate, kung fu, or any other art that is less about hand to hand combat. if you already are doing that, then put more thunder into your kata practice, or your bjj etc.
>>
>>2543436
Just don't spar with head punches.
>>
>>2543639
his last fight was in bellator when ken shamrock took a dive because he's desperate for money
>>
>>2544189
Shamrock took a massive nutshot rather than a dive. Check the slow-motion replays, there's a couple where it's quite clear.
>>
At what age did you get into martial arts?
>>
>>2544571
Too young to remember.
>>
File: 7547848457.jpg (73KB, 671x660px) Image search: [Google]
7547848457.jpg
73KB, 671x660px
>>2544571
>>
>>2544419
that was just an excuse to sell it, he didn't even react to the nut shot

here's how it went down
in order for ken to agree to the dive he needed there to be a little controversy surrounding the loss, so it was scripted that royce would give him a nut shot which would go unseen by the ref, then ken would lose but he could always complain HEY IT WAS ILLEGAL!!!
Thus royce wins but ken keeps his "dignity"

that was a fake, the one with kimbo was a fake, and the last ortiz fight was a fake too
>>
>>2544809
Do you think fighters are training to make their fake fighting look real?
>>
>>2544571
>>
>>2544571
Thirteen. Went for 3 years doing kung fu - full contact.

Quit for almost 15 years, because reasons, returned to train for this last year.
>>
>>2540723
It's never too late to start learning martial arts.

It may be too late to become a world champion, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't train.

>>2541230
>because brain damage is real. But still head kicks and knees to the head
Newsflash, getting KO'd from head kicks and knees will still cause brain damage.
>>
>>2544571
>>
Aside from shadow boxing and hitting a bag, are there any other ways to improve my striking? Preferably without a person. Literally nobody outside of my gym wants to help me train ;_;

I don't know if they are intimidated or what but I literally tell them that if anything, they will be the ones hitting me.
>>
So are only some people just talented with being KO artists (Garbrandt, McGregor, Hunt.) or can anyone pull it off with enough training? Is it "genetics" or is it all about accuracy/power put into that punch?
>>
>>2544809
surely no one is unironically this retarded
>>
>>2545250
punching trees
plus you'll just have to find training partners from outside your gym, with whom you can spar whenever
>>
>>2545199
How's that working for you?
>>
>>2544940

Does this long of a wait even constitute as being called formal training if it was so brief and so long ago? Lol
>>
>>2545808
Pretty good
>>
>>2546443
Why the ellipses then?
>>
>>2546466
Because its just pretty late
>>
>>2546589
All of us could be that much better if we just did things earlier, and didn't waste our lives as much.
>>
>>2545441
Genetics, intelligence, knowledge, and training, all contribute to skill and ability to apply skill.

How much each one contributes to what, depends on the person.

Good genetics helps you git gud, intelligence helps you git gud, knowledge helps you git gud, training also helps you git gud.

If you have a little more intelligence, but not as much knowledge, maybe get a little more knowledge. If you have a little more knowledge, and not enough training, maybe do a little more training. If you're under the age of 25, definitely get more intelligence.
The patrician gets some more of it all.
>>
>>2546589
So it isn't working out that great then?
>>
>>2545947
3 years of formal training is still 3 years of formal training.
>>
>>2545947
Well, at one hand, 3 years is better than nothing, and just like riding a bicycle, you truly never forget the basics, like striking, or reflexes.

And at the other hand, when I asked for information in this place, I said to the instructor that I have never trained before for this very same reason. However, as soon as he saw that I still have some remnants of proper technique, he approached and ask me if I had previous experience.

Unfortunately, my physical condition was atrocious, so I used to run out of gas half way the class, and more than once had to take a break because I was feeling dizzy.
>>
>>2546914
It is, but I just wish I was involved at a younger age
>>
>>2547011
hey man I know that feeling, I started at the age of thirteen, took a break till the age of sixteen and felt like I really wasted those years when I saw all of the people who used to be newbies. Nothing I could do about it though, except work my ass off to surpass them.
>>
>>2545250
>Aside from shadow boxing and hitting a bag.
cheap one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9L7u7Z3Iy8
expensive one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS9o12UE2bE
work on the wall for your jab to avoid elbow out.
Foot work, vid is just a suggestion.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYL4CgNe-S0
>>
File: 1492355330178.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1492355330178.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>
Is there a way to measure the power of your punches without a laboratory?
>>
>>2547599
Just get some parts and make the measuring equipment yourself.
>>
>parry jab and punch bicep
>>
File: Wat-is-Aikido-8.jpg (485KB, 4415x2925px) Image search: [Google]
Wat-is-Aikido-8.jpg
485KB, 4415x2925px
>>2543419
>There is no low intensity martial art I know of except for things like aikido and tai chi, which might help you retain your mojo but you ain't going to get much more out of them than that.

lots of cops and bouncers speak pretty highly of aikido
>>
>>2548076
Stupid question, but are these "accurate"
>>
>>2548135
like who
>>
>>2548245
Steven Segal
Most any policeman in the US trains this
>>
>>2548245

there's a youtube channel called Aikidoflow, the black guy is a bouncer says he mainly uses aikido to subdue people. He used boxing before but he'd get in trouble with the cops and also hurt his hands.
>>
i'm a noob, but what do you guys think about kyudo? can you even properly study it in the US(SE in my case)? i hope you'll trust it's not just the weeb in me that finds it appealing.
>>
>>2548281
I studied kyudo for years, and I loved it. Late 90s in Southwest US. Did pretty shitty at a national tournament in Colorado. My sensei went back to Japan so I stopped training.
Lots of breathing, form and "ki" (Zen) exercises.
There is a mental aspect in it that is very difficult to grasp, but it has made me a much more solid bow hunter with less target panic and lower heart rate than other hunters.
If you are not open minded enough to apply the spiritual aspects of it, you might want to skip it.
>>
I did some more research and it turns out there is a reputable kyudo institution in my area, which is cool. I'm still interested in hearing any opinions.
>>
>>2548386
I'm definitely interested in the spiritual aspects as well. I'm hoping it could lead to some self-improvement. I'm not really interested in bow hunting (or hunting at all) personally, but it's good to know it helps in practical applications too.
>>
>>2548392

can also use it for self defense

>About 30 years ago, as editor at a magazine group in Minnesota, I featured a story about an Illinois woman who defended herself with a bow and arrow. An intruder barged into her family archery store while she was on duty. He demanded money and all she could do was pick up a nearby bow and arrow. As I recall, she got off a shot and hit the man, who departed with 25-or-so inches of arrow sticking out of his chest.
>>
>>2544661
same...

Still a white belt in BJJ, being a competitor is a struggle
>>
>>2548392
Yeah, it is difficult to put into words what you learn in kyudo, but basically you learn to feel the feels that allow you to become one with everything around you. You learn to be the target so that you can hit the target.

It has helped enormously with hunting because I can feel the heartbeat and breathing of the animal, and since getting real good at the ki part of kyudo I have done nothing but hit animals with double-lung heart shots.

I have since moved on to practicing judo, and I can close my eyes and 'feel' my opponent's balance by applying the ki aspects of kyudo to judo.

It sounds like mumbo jumbo, and I wouldn't believe it if I didn't learn it, but it does give my judo throws a snap that annoys others because I am feeling their balance. Again, difficult to explain.

Try it for at least 6 months before you decide if it is for you or not.
>>
>>2548520
I definitely want to give it a shot. Of course I do like the archery aspect of it a lot, it's something I haven't tried in depth much before. Just kind of depends how economically I can manage it.
>>
File: 0007 - n1SFMXV.png (608KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
0007 - n1SFMXV.png
608KB, 499x499px
Why did you start training martial arts, bros?
>>
>>2548858

I started training after watching bruce lee movies and wanting to learn self-defense; then i realized getting into an actual street fight is very improbable and extremely avoidable, so I quit and pursued better hobbies, like World of Warcraft and Powerlifting.
>>
>>2548238
It depends because you can set the machine to be more or less sensitive.

>>2543419
>There is no low intensity martial art I know of except for things like aikido and tai chi
Practical tai chi is basically a form of wrestling with strikes included, though the solo forms are low impact.
>>
>>2548871
But WoW and powerlifting have no use in real life either
>>
>>2548907

Wow won't give you injuries, training full contact martial arts will. Wow is its own use, its fun and competitive, keeps your reflexes and strategic thinking sharp.

Powerlifting is good for your health and strength, unless you start competing in serious events then the injury-cost might outweigh the health benefits.
>>
>>2548858
I thought that karate and striking was all there was to martial arts, so I wasn't too interested, but after finding out about bjj and judo, I got interested, and now I've been going to judo for about a month and it's been pretty fun.
I've also been trying to go out and exercise more, and doing a martial art seemed ideal to me, since working out and running by itself is just boring.
>>
>>2548858
My ex girlfriend of 2 years started dating another guy and got engaged to him 5 months later. I was desperate for a positive outlet in life.
>>
>>2548858
Found a bunch of medals when I was really young, father told me he did Judo in his youth, mother didn't want to let me do Judo because father got a bunch of injuries competing at fairly high level. Nagged for years until mother allowed me to do Aikido.

Stopped but picked it up again as an adult alongside Judo and BJJ.
>>
>>2548135
There's a reason no ufc champion practices aikido
>>
>>2548281
It goes back to the idea of why do you do martial arts. If it's for self defense then yeah kyudo is absolutely useless
If it's a spiritual thing, or its a hobby, then go for it.
>>
Is walking weight something I should worry about right now?
>>
>>2548858
I was an insecure kid and my parents forced me to do it so I'll become more confident and here I am today very thankful for their decisiont
>>
>>2549604
And by that I mean, I am still pretty new at training in MMA
>>
Can anyone recommend a gym in NYC that is the most "complete" grappling gym? I want to learn takedowns and ground grappling, so I figured a place like Renzo's or the sambo place would be good. Anyone have any experience with either of these?
>>
Okay, what I'm trying to ask is, is walking weight insanely high for amateur/pro-am fights?

Do fighters who are pro end up being heavier than they were they were amateurs?
>>
>>2548135

Unfortunately, we've only one Aikido school here and it had to merge with another school since they lacked any funds. They only teach it on the side and is not a core curriculum there sadly. I did try for a few months but got a little busy with work. It was awkward for me, going from Hard-Style to Soft-Style. Then. I wasn't particularly interested it, but I may have to reconsider.

>>2548858

My father is a black belt in Tang Soo Do, so I felt motivated to also pick up on martial arts and carry on a tradition of martial arts running in the family. I was also insecure with my weight and lonely, of which both problems were remedied after making friends and having fun. It helped me cope with losing as much as I did during Hurricane Katrina as well.

...I also wanted to learn because of fighting games, specifically Battle Arena Toushindun.

Now I do it for many other reasons: It is my identity and has helped me learn so much about myself and the world around me. I want to share my love of martial arts with others and share the joy its brought me to others.
>>
>>2549767
I don't know about Renzo Gracie but I know my teacher trained under Royce Gracie and when people go to brazil to train under the gracies they never come back with complaints so it's worth a shot.
If you're only interested in wrestling and grappling, I'd say start with bjj and if that doesn't satisfy you then expand into greco roman or judo or sambo etc, because bjj does have takedowns.
>>
>>2549769
in muscle mass, yes
>>
I'm soon to become a father and I want my kid to be interested in martial arts. How do I instill that in my kids without forcing them, and at what age should they start?
>>
>>2550302

Congratulations, Anon! I'm jealous.

In all honesty, joking aside, I would suggest Tae Kwon Do to them around the age of 8. I doubt they would get much from it physically, but out of all martial arts, most schools for TKD are the most kid friendly. They'd grow an association for martial arts to having fun, making friends and doing cool things like kicking and flashy colored belts and breaking boards. As they grow up, they'll either pursue martial arts after growing older with it or decide martial arts may not be their cup of tea. If they do show interest, then you could introduce them to Karate or what have you: the main key is simply introduction.

If you're too overbearing or overzealous, they'll shy away from martial arts, even if they'd otherwise have an aptitude for it and enjoy it. You have to show them the door and let them open it themselves and always be very supportive of whatever they do. That's what my father did with me.
>>
I'm 18 years old and I want to start boxing. I'm not that strong and I've never been in a fight, but it's something I'm really interested in doing.
If I train hard, can I make boxing into a legit career?
>>
>>2550471
If you train 5 times a week at a boxing gym, then more at your free time, you'll be able to close in on a lot of people who start early after 6 months. But whether or not you can make it into a career, you'll have to ask your coach what he thinks. There is a chance, it's not 100%, but it's not 1 in a million either. Depends on how hard you work. Worth the try
>>
>>2550471

It's never too late to get into any martial art. However, as a career, you may come to wish otherwise in time. But if you'd like to train to such a level, don't let anything stop you. There is no threshold of stength, talent or what have you to begin training. Simply begin.

Chase your goals and catch them, Anon. Become the next Joe, the next Opportunity. Hell, become Baki.
>>
File: 1477263538687.png (615KB, 540x537px) Image search: [Google]
1477263538687.png
615KB, 540x537px
>>2550483
>>2550491
Thanks, I appreciate the honesty.
>>
>>2550512

>That quote

Saved that picture. That's so on the bill.
>>
>>2549588
has anyone ever looked at kyudo and said "oh ya im gonna keep a bow and arrow by my pillow and fuck up any home invaders" rather than just buying a gun? not even the most degenerate weebs would think that made sense.
>>
>>2550703
>>rather than just buying a gun?
Only a dumbass like you thinks that learning kyudo will prevent someone from owning a gun.
I'm the kyudoka from above, and the study of kyudo improved my accuracy with a handgun under pressure by a large margin. Because many of the skills you learn are mental anyway, it is easy to apply them to other ranged arts.
>>
>>2551399
who said someone who studies kyudo won't own a gun? all i said was nobody would think it was a practical replacement for normal methods of self defence, not trying to be inflammatory
>>
Judo or BJJ and why? Uni student here looking to do one, hopefully lose weight with one
>>
>>2552162
Try both, see which you like more. I like judo because muh throws and breakfalls, and I like muh upright posture. How good the smaller aspect is will depend on the dojo too. Some judoka have bretty decent newaza where they pin you and ot feels like a mountain, and some bjj guys have a decent takedown like a double leg.
>>
>>2552162
Judo is more about fighting on your feet and bjj is about fighting on the ground
BJJ is about using delicate movements to manipulate the enemy's body into submission
Judo is about using the enemy's force against him
Both of them are derivatives of Jiu Jitsu
Personally I do BJJ but that's because I do MMA and I find it more useful, Judo is a lot of fun too. Comes down to whether or not you prefer standing or not
>>
>>2548858
>>2549912
Well, as for background, my father and brother used to to sports, a lot actually. Neither competed on a serious level, but they were serious about what they were doing (my father used to go to play basketball or fronton for hour and half daily, and my brother used to run marathons) so I had some examples to follow. Also, my father used to train some martial art when young, and I personally watched him once beating the crap out of some random drunk asshole.

However, what would you say pulled the trigger, as dumb as it sounds, was a video game: Samurai showdown, pic related to be more precise. As a kid, I really wished to be like him (do I have to repeat I was a kid?), so I wanted to own a katana, but no sane person would give a sword to some kid who literally stabbed himself on the elbow playing pretend to be a samurai.

Eventually, they gave me the chance to get a sword if I would learn how to properly use it, which would imply doing a couple years of martial arts. Neither my family or me knew any better about what was kendo or iaido, we believed any karate school was as good as the next one.

So in order to learn how to use a katana, I subscribed to a kung fu school.

Fast forward several years later, I still train, never learned how to use a katana (or any sword for that matter), but love what I do and my father approves of what I do.
>>
>>2550302
Just make it fun for the child, and the association of positive things with martial arts will most likely make what it grows up to be, like martial arts. Also, there's nothing like movies and videogames.
>>
>>2548520
Experience is only add credible as how It's interpreted.
>>
I did full contact sparring today and won both rounds! I even got some good head shots! I feel so proud of myself! The guy I usually spar with has usually hit my face but not today!

I was so worried about never catching up in skill, but today I did it!
>>
Does anybody have the BJJ analysis youtube links?
>>
>>2553717
That's great anon
>>
>>2549604
>>2549611
Not unless you will be competing within the next two months. Even then you shouldn't be too concerned.
>>
>>2550302
Buy him super street fighter VI when he grows up
>>
>>2549769
Depends. I know some guys that are really into weight cutting and some that aren't.

I know a guy that walks around at 170ish and fights at 150 and 155, but I also know a bunch of guys that walk around at 178ish and fight at 170.
>>
>>2553931
Sounds like BJJ scout.
>>
>>2548858
Got in a fight in 9th grade and my uncle told me to come to the Muay Thai gym he was at. Funny thing is he quit 2 weeks later and I've been doing it for 8 years now.
>>
Second week of boxing, albeit without a trainer and ideally just for cardio because I can't run for shit, it also seems to be working out as an awesome stress reliever now that I've gone cold turkey on alcohol.
I'm only using hand wraps, during the first week I've only been touching the speed ball and it was perfectly fine.

Now I've discovered how fun it is to keep punching a bag, 30 minutes can go by in a flash and I still want to keep going if not for my scraped knuckles.
How do I avoid them? Are bag gloves necessary? Is there anything technique wise I can do to fix my situation?
I've googled around and I'm unable to discern broscience from facts, seems to be 50/50 whether or not bag gloves are needed.
>>
>>2552162
if you are in the usa do bjj. if yurop then do judo
>>
>>2554912
Also, this guy sounds pretty ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqwLgSCHc7Q
Again, my goal is simply cardio because I'm too much of a vagina to get in fights.
>>
>>2554949
Less protection, higher chance of developing arthritis.
>>
>>2548858
I was lifting with my bro and a girl invited me to try kick boxing. It was very random, but I went a week later. The girl left that very month, but I stayed there two years, training almost daily for reasons I can't fully understand. Since I'm not planning on competing or anything.
>>
>>2554666
Looks about right, thanks!
>>
>>2554914
yurop. uk specifically. can you elaborate why? there's plenty of bjj gyms nearby, i've also noticed bjj is a fuckton more expensive why is this
>>
>>2554912
>I've googled around and I'm unable to discern broscience from facts
Apply objective logical reasoning and the scientific method. Also, educate yourself.
>>
>>2548858
Why do we do anything?
>>
>live in Baton Rouge
>want to learn Kyokushin Karate
>nobody teaches it
>no biggie I'll just learn Muay Thai then
>nobody teaches that either
>...Well how about Greco Wrestling
>nope, only available to a certain age group

Is it possible to self teach myself MT or KK and be decent?
>>
>>2556171
>self teach
The whole point of schools is that you have a real person to spar with.
>>
File: TP3%20black.jpg (50KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
TP3%20black.jpg
50KB, 480x720px
How long do you guys think these will last?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8vCvZy8aDU
>>
>>2556171
>Is it possible to self teach myself MT or KK and be decent?
Possible, relatively highly improbable.
The more intelligent, knowledgeable, and dedicated you are, the more probable it becomes; especially that knowledgeable part.
Among other things, you need knowledge of MT or KK, knowledge on how to teach, knowledge on how to learn, knowledge on yourself, and knowledge on how to observe yourself objectively.
>>
>>2556171
One of the common problems with things like Karate is the lack of sparring.
Sparring helps you develop skill in fighting because it's fighting. You get to practice your martial art with applied reaction time, applied timing, and applied reflexes.

People who say that drills do nothing are ignorant and delusional. People who say drills do everything are also ignorant and delusional.

You must ask: "Why do these things work? Why don't these things work?"
Then, you may possible get closer to the truth.

People are so stupid, like holy shit, people are so damn stupid. Not to mention how people are also ignorant.
Among other things, they fail to account for variables that make differences, differences that are relatively large, to the outcome.
>>
>>2556171
Technique, drills, and sparring, all contribute to fighting skill.
Intelligence, which includes reaction speed, and knowledge, which includes timing, also contribute to fighting skill.

Developing reflexes to react to stimuli is the most commonly utilized part of training currently, and it makes up, for quite a lot of martial artists, a majority of what their skill is.
Using reflexes instead of reaction time is kind of like using memory instead of intelligence.
You can calculate 5+7+9+12 with your intelligence to give the answer at any given time, or you could memorize the answer (33) to give the answer at any given time.
A good martial artist uses not just reflexes, but a combination of reflexes, reaction speed, and timing, by the way.

You can learn technique, just like you can learn dancing, if you can pay attention to detail.
Do you know what fucking year it is? Do you know how damn advanced technology is this damn year? We have fucking video cameras, not to mention virtual reality. We have big ass monitors, TVs, it's easier than ever to look at ourselves. Do you know how many damn selfies are on the internet? A fucking lot of selfies are on the damn fucking inter fucking net.

The other things that also develop skill, which tend to develop applicable skill relatively efficiently, are done much more easily, for a large majority of people, training with other people at a gym and or dojo.
>>
>>2556171
Intelligence falls on a scale.

Extremely stupid > Stupid > Kind of Stupid > Average > Kind of Intelligent > Intelligent > Extremely Intelligent

If you fall under Kind of Intelligent or below, and on top of that, you're not knowledgeable, and you also aren't wiling to obtain knowledge, then you are most likely going to have a very difficult time of getting decent at MT or KK by yourself.
>>
>>2556171
>Is it possible to self teach myself MT or KK and be decent?

You see the word "teach" in your sentence? Does your sentence mean what you think it means? Do you think that it's possible that your sentence may not portray what you thought it portrayed?

It's one thing to know MT, it's another thing to be a good MT fighter.

Also, that begs the question of: "What is a good MT fighter?"
>>
File: Muay-Thai-fighters11_455e7.jpg (76KB, 964x700px) Image search: [Google]
Muay-Thai-fighters11_455e7.jpg
76KB, 964x700px
What does it mean to be a good Muay Thai fighter?

What is a good Muay Thai fighter?

What separates a good Muay Thai fighter from a bad Muay Thai fighter from an average Muay Thai fighter?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170411-222742.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170411-222742.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
Look for these homos to know where the autists will meet
>>
>>2556393
What am I looking at?
>>
>>2556217
>The whole point of schools is that you have a real person to spar with.
I thought the whole point was to worship the instructor and give as much money as you can to the school.
>>
>>2556404
Kek wrong thread. There is gonna be a /fit/ meet up
>>
>>2556957
Will it be as autistic as the /k/ one, or more?
>>
File: 7elbows.png (100KB, 886x496px) Image search: [Google]
7elbows.png
100KB, 886x496px
Taekwondo blackbelt out of practice for almost a decade here.

I'm thinking of starting practicing Krav Maga. Is it just a meme or is it actually a good MA? I'm still fit by the way.
>>
>>2544571
less than a month before my 24th birthday
>>
>>2558243
There's pretty much no standardization in Krav Maga. That Krav Maga in Fight Quest looked pretty legit, but I can't say that other gyms will be just as good. I can say that it's very possible that they could be much worse. It's also possible that some gyms are much better.

However, even if it's a terrible gym, the experience will add onto your life, and you have more knowledge to work with, which may, in time, lead to a fuller understanding or Krav Maga, martial arts, other things, and things that life has to offer in general.
>>
>>2557214
We actually met up before. Getting along really well, though a lot of people didn't show up. Guess they got scared of social interaction
>>
>>2558373
Maybe everyone's just scarred that 4chan is still Super Anonymous Haxer League and not Edgy Tumblr.
>>
>>2554912
Get some bag gloves. Unless you have a high quality bag, it's going to have some sandbags in it that are dangerous to punch.

These are cheap and will protect your hands

https://www.titleboxing.com/gloves/fitness-boxing-gloves/title-classic-boxing-gloves

Of all places Everlasts YouTube channel has some good heavy bag workouts if you're just doing it for cardio and not an iota of self defense.
>>
>>2529493
I've started going to an MMA gym since about 2 months now, and it is by far one of the best decisions I've ever made in my short life.

Still, I feel like I could be doing so much more to be advancing.

Everyday I'm stronger than the last, but I feel a strange addiction to my amelioration. For example, today I managed to choke out all four guys I sparred with, but I'm still disappointed, because I know I could have done better, be it stand-up or on the ground.

How do I get better FAST?
>>
>>2549767
If you're in NYC why not just train at Marcelo's gym. Dude's a BJJ god.
>>
>>2538931
Why'd the ref end the fight?
>>
>>2556310
>lack of sparring
Karate sparring is very harsh, bare hands, no protection and no fists to the face
Then there's kumite too
>>
>>2555723
Simply speaking, look at the international success of both continents in both arts. Europe has a huge Judo community with plenty of international top level fighters, whereas the BJJ scene is still maturing, so there's comparatively fewer top level athletes. In North America the opposite is true due to the lack of proper centralization and organization in Judo and the relative proximity to Brazil.

Then again, the UK is one of the few European countries with a fairly mature BJJ scene and a successful Judo community, so shop around and see what's available to you. Then decide whether you like to throw bitches or tap bitches. Or do both. I know I do.

>>2558678
Train more. Watch some - decent - vids and drill it. Can recommend Firas Zahabi.

Also, if you choke four people after a mere two moths of training, the ground game of your MMA gym has a high chance of sucking - unless they were all noobs.
>>
>>2549579
because it's too deadly
>>
>>2556346
>>2556341
>>2556336
>>2556330
>>2556310
>>2556297
(You)
>>
i've always been a shitty kicker and i want to increase my flexibility and get a better control of my legs. I wanna learn tricking so i can do butterfly kicks and shit

there's this Taekwondo place nearby where they say they teach 'traditional korean Taekwondo', it doesn't seem to have anything especially alarming about it except for kids walking with black belts but that's a norm at these places. The first 2 months are apparently free too but there's also a 6 month binding contract.

should i check it out?
>>
>>2559026
Hold on, if I choke four people in one day, that means I'm being taught wrong? They were all around my level.
>>
>>2559621
Worth checking it out, you don't really have anything to lose. Finding the right Master is the most important thing.
>>
>>2559639
>They were all around my level.
That's where the 'unless they were all beginners' clause of my previous post applies. No worries in this case.
>>
>>2558960
Not all dojos spar often, not all dojos spar full contact, and not all dojos spar bare knuckle.
>>
>>2558960
Saying that Kickboxing lacks sparing means something different from saying that Kickboxing doesn't spar at all.
>>
there's this place right by where i live, they teach something called 'thai cuc hiep vo mon kung fu' it's made by some vietnamese dude and there's only like 4 of these places in the country (Norway), im interested in hearing what your guys' opinion on this is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6tphdl9HSI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGEpsq5X8vA

personally i think it just looks like some wannabe shit for people who like martial arts movies
>>
>>2558678
A better brain, a better mind, a better learner and skill developer.

If you aren't already:

Get enough sleep, don't fuck with sleep, that shit is very, extremely important. If you need more than 8 hours of sleep a night, get more than 8 damn hours of sleep a damn night.
You need to clean out your neural waste and what not, with sleep.

Eat a healthy and nutritious diet.
A healthy body, a healthy brain, a healthy mind.
>>
>>2559995
what triggers me the most here is that they use chinese-style clothing but they wear belts instead of sashes
>>
>>2558678

>How do I get better FAST?
You need to learn, develop skill, and train, more efficiently.

One of the key things to do is to stay conscious; don't stay in autopilot all the time.
To learn things faster, you need to have them registered in your brain as important.
Make various and numerous associations, thus making the neural connections stronger.
If you pay attention to how something feels, how it smells, how it sounds, as well as how it looks, it's easier to remember than if you were just to pay attention to how something looks.
The more fun you're having, the easier it is to remember. By attaching an emotional element, it makes things easier to remember.
Remembering one of the most saddening things ever is easier than remembering something bland. Remembering one of the most joyful moments in your life is easier than remembering something bland.

Break things up into sections.
It's easier to remember the beginning and end of something, rather than the middle.
By having more sections, you have more beginnings and ends.

Are you more of a visual, auditory, or tactile learner?
It's easier to obtain and memorize information in the way you learn easiest.

Staying focused is a pretty important part, some people could say that "I can't stress it enough."

Stay focused, pay attention to detail, and stay conscious.

When you're doing drills, stay focused, pay attention to detail, and stay conscious.

When you're working on technique, stay focused, pay attention to detail, and stay conscious.

When you're sparring, stay focused, pay attention to detail, and stay conscious.

The more you perceive, the more you analyze, the more you have to work with to make you better.
>>
>>2559621
>contracts
>>
>>2560032
howza dojo gonna make money if a dude just up and leaves after a month eh?
>>
>>2556171
Some people who learn from and train at gyms end up being terrible anyway.
>>
>>2559995
Your usual gimmick from a shithole that tries its hardest to get popular so instead of just being a copy of another martial art it becomes a bad copy of multiple martial arts.

Tries to advertise itself as being for cruel badasses but pussies out of full contact
I guess you can admired how it manages to be bad at kicking, punching, forms and (probably) judo all at the same time.
(goddamn, those forms are almost literally as if someone took karate katas and mashed them together randomly, they can't even remember them and not to mention how awfully they're doing them)
>>
>>2560105
>still butthurt because I can't accept that MMA and hybrid martial arts are better
>>
>>2559995

Don't listen to >>2560105, he's just stupid and buttmad. The asshurt is real.
>>
>>2560129
>>2560135
This has nothing to do with hybrid martial arts in general, instead of putting politics into this maybe you could actually watch that garbage performance.
>>
>>2559995
Opinions mean nothing, that's why they're not called "facts."
>>
what's your guys opinion on MartialClub?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtpRpESLDN0
>>
>>2560167
>what's your guys opinion on MartialClub?
We shouldn't have opinions where facts should be.
>>
>>2560178
>>2560163
Thank you captain semantics, always ready to make useless posts
>>
>>2560163
>>2560178
hey you forgot to turn your trip on you obnoxious fuck
>>
Would it be disrespectful to wear merchandise from your previous gym to a new gym's?

I have a rashguard from my old gym with its logo and name on it, and I don't have many others either.
>>
>>2560186
>useless
Only if truth is that which you do not seek.
>>
>>2560249
Better to tip toe than to awaken the beast. However, some beasts may be easily slain.
>>
File: _visible_confusion_.png (824KB, 1688x518px) Image search: [Google]
_visible_confusion_.png
824KB, 1688x518px
>>2560342
>>
File: Shinyu Gushi Nigirigame.jpg (137KB, 519x800px) Image search: [Google]
Shinyu Gushi Nigirigame.jpg
137KB, 519x800px
>>2531123
>>2532149
Muscular and lean is always best. Leaving fat on yourself's just extra useless weight on the table. And that goes for striking...
>http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2011/08/what-exactly-is-ideal-to-cut-or-not-to.html
>http://chaosandpain.blogspot.com/2009/03/you-can-be-strong-as-fuck-or-ripped-to.html
>>
File: Kyuzo Mifune.jpg (232KB, 500x594px) Image search: [Google]
Kyuzo Mifune.jpg
232KB, 500x594px
>>2560732
...and grappling...
>>
>>2558702
Guy stopped defending his head?
>>
>>2560249
I wouldn't. Just like belts. I'm a brown belt in one dojo, but when I go to the open mat at the Gracie school nearby I wear white. They don't recognize my belt, so I don't wear it.
However, there is a club an hour drive away from me that recognizes the organization that gave me my belt, so I wear it when I roll with them.

If the instructor respects the other gym, then wear it, if not, then don't.

Remember to empty your cup before you try to fill it. This means that you should be willing to wear whatever rank or gear the current instructor on the mat wants. It you worry to much about it, it is taking up thoughts that could be used for learning new stuff from the new instructor.
>>
>>2560167
>asians attempting sketch comedy

>>2560732
>>2560739
I disagree. If it wasn't for weight classes you would see more fat fighters. Having a belly makes you hard as fuck to grapple against, it's a lot of weight concentrated in one spot, you can't hip in well for throws, you can't get good grips around the body. it even protects your organs to an extent from strikes. And having more weight behind your punches will always be good
>>
boxing is a deadly art. I recommend it as you are actually involved in exchanging legitimate damage in competition. incapacitating your opponent by blunt force trauma, over 100 years of proven effect. downside is if you don't have the right genetics, reflexes, and bone density, you can kind wind up hurting yourself. You might totally break your hands in a fight. however, professional boxers and even amateurs have amazing fighting stamina, tremendous tenacity, endurance, timing,trained how to roll off punches, footwork and positioning. There's a lot more going on that just fists flying, there are so many intelligent fighters that can outsmart their opponents and set them up for punishment. I have so much respect for boxing as a whole.
>>
>>2560975
You could say all of that and get better results with muscular fighters especially
>And having more weight behind your punches will always be good
Not just for weight class but for individual size. Look at heavy weights who are still muscular/lean vs.the ones who leave the weight on; guys like those can not only do all that and more, when they go down a class they dominate. Then on top of that can keep up with the classes above if they want. it's not called 'pound for pound'/pound for pound strength for nothing. Athletes like those are pound for pound some of the best, if not the best/strongest in not just their division, but any class. That's not even mentioning that you don't have to worry about the health concerns still present with excess fat
>>2560167
Enter the Dojo/Master Ken is the objective best martial arts comedy on youtube
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsxNC0vcKZE&list=PL2FF995289A6FC7CD&index=3
>>
>>2561527
the beefy muscle guys have stamina problems a chub isn't going to have
they are both carrying around extra weight, but the fat guys fat isn't actively sapping his energy the way a muscle guy is. You have to power muscles, not fat. fat fighters a best, just look at the DC vs rumble example
>>
>>2561272
Kickboxing, too.
>>
>>2560167
>wolf style
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBTYLGH9S7U
>>
>>2562251
Or Brendan Schaub vs Roy Nelson lol
>>
>>2558678
Befriend someone who trains in a different gym who's a bit above your level and practice with him as much as you can, but more on sparring and attack/defense rather than drills
>>
>>2559504
lol
>>
>>2559621
try it, but remember to look for these things
>full contact sparring
>logical advancement of belts (it takes between 4 to 6 years to become a black belt)
>Athletic and skillful other trainees
>>2560032
after free two months it's only fair to have a membership
>>
>>2559864
Yeah but not all dojos are worth a while
>>
Is there a database of recognized karate dojos?
>>
>>2562251
You're an idiot.

Fat is dead weight athletes now have to lug around. It's actively worse than muscle and requires a lot if skill to compensate for. Cormier is a great wrestler who showed up overweight against a single opponent. Cherrypicking an example or two doesn't invalidate the vast field of practice that disproves your notion
>>
>>2541839
Pancrase allowed palm strikes to the head
>>
Squid Style Karate?
>>
If you start at 19, can you still become pro or it's too late?
Do you know anyone that succeeded bigly despite starting in their 20's?
>>
How many times a week does a brand new beginner to BJJ typically train?
>>
Start older = less chance, not impossible
Athletic back ground = more chance
Literally eat, breath, and sleep your martial art = more chance
>>
>>2564581
Meant for >>2564459 obviously
>>
>>2564583
>>2564581
Thank you man.
>>
>>2560820
>Remember to empty your cup before you try to fill it. This means that you should be willing to wear whatever rank or gear the current instructor on the mat wants. It you worry to much about it, it is taking up thoughts that could be used for learning new stuff from the new instructor.

That is the stupidest chinese saying ever. Why would you even take advice from he chinese, their fighting style is the laughing stock of the martial arts world. Jesus Christ, give me a break "You should forget everything you've learned before learning something new" YAY! sounds like a great idea for the instructors wallet, you'l be sandbagging yourself.

Start doing MMA you fag Fist goes into the other guy, there are many ways to make that happen, but if you have a good basic and the ability to think you can make it work.

What did you even just say. My god! I can't believe I'm hearing this from a BJJ guy who goes to gracies and IBBJF. Fucking bullshit! An armbar is an armbar, if you roll you pull it off!
>>
blocking/parrying vs dodging
>>
>>2559671
>>2562843
i went there, apparently it's WTF-style TKD, the instructors and master there seem pretty chill so it's not some roleplay garbage place at least.

they offered me a free trial lesson on tuesday, which is when they're sparring. I'll see if this place is worth it by then, will probably post an update too
>>
>>2564623
You have to do both to avoid being predictable. As a general rule if your opponent throws the same strike or combination twice your defense should be different both times.
>>
>>2564623
>taking a hit and maybe sending one back vs not taking a hit

dodging is better
>>
>>2564581
>eating 3D Kickboxing technique pancakes in the morning
> lucid dreaming and sparring against dream partners in your sleep
>monitors and martial arts gifs all over your walls
>electronically programmed motion detection robotic fighting dummies that make you do quick drills with them when you pass by them
>only listening to music about martial arts
>only talking about martial arts with people
>only wear t-shirts with martial arts pin them
>only wear gi pants and combat shorts
>bruce lee underwear
>>
>>2564822
Parrying is superior to dodging.
>>
>>2564814
>You have to do both to avoid being predictable
You mean: "all three."
>>
>>2564623
Learn the form, but seek the formless,
hear the soundless,
learn it all, and forget it all.
Learn the way, and find your own way.
>>
Gung Fu: hard work over time to accomplish skill.
A painter can have Gung Fu can have Gung Fu,
or the butcher who cuts meat ever day with such a skill,
his knife never touches bone.
Learn the form, but seek the formless,
hear the soundless,
learn it all, and forget it all.
Learn the way, and find your own way.
The musician can have Gung Fu,
or the poet who paints pictures with words
and makes emporors weep, this too, is Gung Fu.
But do not name it, my friend, for it is like water.
Nothing is softer than water, yet, it can overcome rock,
it does not fight, it flows around the opponent.
Formeless, nameless, the true master dwells within,
only you can free him.
>>
File: Shinjury.gif (2MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
Shinjury.gif
2MB, 360x202px
>be practicing Parkour
>end up conditioning my shin at the same time
>abrasion adds flavour
>>
>>2563016
DC is always fat, he always has a belly swinging in front of his shorts

fat is only dead weight if you need to run and jump, sure it will slow those things down, but it's not going to slow down the movements of your hands and feet to have a spare tire around your belly. The extra weight will give you more forward driving power and a stronger base
>>
>>2563016
Weight is energy, see sumo.
>>
>>2565277
>risking a hit vs not being hit

no
>>
>>2564551
I started 2 months ago and go 5 days a week. Everyone else who started around the same time as me only go once or twice a week though. Depends on how much you can take I guess.
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 411x354px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 411x354px
>>2548858
When I was a little kid, I did taekwondo and a bit of karate, but gave it up when I got slightly older due to the shitty teaching and such. When I got older, probably around middle school I found an MMA gym right by my house that also did karate. So I started doing that and I got hooked doing Dutch kickboxing, sambo, and karate.
>>
>>2566471
That's a nice combination that sounds similar to mine
Mine does Greco/Roman, kickboxing, karate and bjj
>>
How do we make more people come to these threads? I think most people aren't aware that we exist, because we are on a very unpopular board. Even if people decide to check this dumb ass board they'll find mostly wwe shit instead of this thread. There must be a way to take back the board
>>
>>2564617
Normally going into a new art while talking about how bad ass your last or current art was is what we call "a dick move"

Sure if they ask if you have experience you can tell them what you've done without bragging but have some fucking courtesy. if you have nothing to learn from a new teacher why are you taking his class in the first place?
>>
>>2560340
You talk like someone who flunked Philosophy 101 because Kant was too hard to understand
>>
>>2567025
An mma gym that does Greco? That's really cool. Where is it?
>>
Been wanting to try out jkd I've been doing enshin karate for a year but I've been wanting to try a different style to see how I could apply sabaki in a different context. There's only 1 school here in denver that teaches it with full contact sparring do you guys think it looks legit? http://www.jkdcolorado.com
>>
>>2567754
Israel
>>
>>2567826
Every Jeet Kune Do school I've seen completely missed the point of Jeet Kune Do. Jeet Kune Do is not a martial art, it's a battle philosophy. There are JKD moves which is weird, because Bruce Lee specifically talked about doing what comes naturally to your body, instead of learning a thousand moves. If you want to truly study JKD read a bruce lee book, the tao of jeet kune do preferably, or watch a few interviews with him.
If you want to try something different to karate, but don't want to do MMA, consider one of these arts as an alternative
>WTD Taekwando
>Muay Thai
>Sanda
>Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
>Judo
>>
>>2567826
Tell me about enshin senpai. Done any other karate styles? The closest to me is probably shoto, other than the city where they have kyo and shidokan.
>>
>>2567830
Is there a site I could look at out of curiosity?
>>
>>2567856

Enshin is a hybrid full contact style that takes primarily from kyokushin but adds judo throws and sweeps, sumo, and kickboxing. It sounds like a mish mash but it all comes together really well. I've taken judo and Muay Thai before so I can definitely see where they took the best parts to compliment kyokushin. Other than that I've taken kyokushin and Wado Ryu before starting enshin. Once I started I realized how much better this new approach was and stuck with it. My only real complaint is they don't punch to the face so I've been getting tempted to try a school that has it. I've settled on jkd since MT bleeds too much into Enshin and feels a little redundant while jkd seems a lot different probably cause of it's kung fu roots.
>>
>>2567826
Just try it out. I can't look at how legit they are just by looking at the website; I need to go in there, train with their students, observe the teacher(s), do these things under various circumstances, and contemplate my experience(s).
>>
>>2562838
>but more on sparring and attack/defense rather than drills
But aren't drills just attack/defense?
>>
>>2567475
We locate the WWE posters, and leave them trapped in the desert with enough food and water to last them for a few years, bring them back, and then tell them that they're going back there if they keep posting on /asp/. But we should also help them get a new board.
>>
>>2567475
Go to /fit/
>>
File: jillyhall.jpg (43KB, 600x637px) Image search: [Google]
jillyhall.jpg
43KB, 600x637px
So I posted this on /heem/ but I'll ask here. There is a manlet at my gym who has a lot of experience in BJJ and helps teach newbies moves. The thing is, I only see him go out of his was to help girls. I believe he only helps girls so he has a reason to touch them.

Somebody on /heem/ who called themselves the token manlet of their gym said its because girls are small which makes it easier for them to learn moves with manlets since they are the same height.

Is the guy desperate for copping a feel on girls or is he just doing his job?
>>
>>2567903
sounds like you just want to do mma or just try chinese martial arts, just do gung fu or wing chun
>>
>>2568716
No, drills are a simulation of a scenario. Attack/Defense is light sparring
>>
>>2569385
Attack/defense is a stimulation of a scenario.
>>
>>2544571
Had my first muay thai classes at 18 and kept with it till 20-ish.

Then I started drinking and smoking lots of pot and wasted 8 years of my life. But now I'm back training kickboxing/full contact and jiu jitsu and I love every second. Wish I realized earlier. Oh well.
>>
>>2569259
Prob both. Isn't necessarily copping a feel too, might be a
>tfw teaching girls is easier so get roll woth them
sort of thing. Or he's a lecher with a convenient excuse, I don't know.
>>
>>2569259
It's subconscious kicking in, who wouldn't prefer to touch a girl rather than a dude
>>
>>2569852
>tfw getting choked out by that soft smooth skin
>>
>>2569852
I don't see who would rather touch a gross girl than a guy, desu.

Also why are there no judo threads even though there is a competition in europe? At least I can't find them.
Sumo got them, but judo isn't popular enough? I agree that sumo is more fun to watch, but still.
>>
>>2569967
Make them and hope
>>
>>2569967
Post a link to where to watch
>>
>>2569987
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO6jSbdfjwA
>>2569978
I've never made a thread before, I won't start now. I just want someone else to do it for me.
>>
>>2569994
judo is rather cool but there isn't anywhere to practice it in my city
>>
>>2569994
This weekend there are 3 major grappling event:
European Judo championship
Abu Dahbi world pro championship
Youth and Junior European SAMBO Championships

Previous week-end were West coast ADCC trials.
>>
my bjj gf dumped me, we train at the same place. should i move gyms? or is that some creonte type shit?
>>
>>2570414
Just keep training there. The gym is about developing skill, leave your personal romance bullshit at the door.
Your ex-GF might not do the same, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't.
>>
>>2570414
depends on whether or not you care about your gym. But I don't think that's a good reason to move a gym
>>
>>2570414
At least you have a reason to make her submit
>>
>>2570414
>bjj gf
is she a Maria jiu-jitsu or a normal girl who loves bjj,? the former being the 90% of women in bjj and the latter 9% the remaining 1% are competitive bjj girls.
Don't switch gym for a girl anon. Keep on training.
Image to fuck your brain up.
>>
>>2570394
Could make an unified thread for all three
>>
>>2570709
I have no idea what you just said. She's a poor Brazilian girl from the Amazon who competes pretty regularly.
I'll keep training though, thanks.
>>
How do you not get intimidated by someone more muscular than you in your weight class?
>>
>>2571229
Be better.
>>
>>2571229
More muscle = Easily gassed out
>>
>>2571229
How do I not be intimidated? I'm a badass.

What's one way to help you? Cognitive behavioral therapy.
>>
>>2571466
Isn't CBT a meme?
>>
File: Freeway Park Gap Jump.gif (3MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
Freeway Park Gap Jump.gif
3MB, 360x202px
>>2571229
Exposure therapy. Just jump this gap a few times, and you'll have experienced so much intimidation that the intimidation of a mere mortal human being will be like nothing in comparison.
>>
>>2571482
Isn't saying that CBT is a meme, a meme?
>>
>>2571485
I'm asking :)
>>
File: JUSTCANTWAKEUP.jpg (216KB, 924x647px) Image search: [Google]
JUSTCANTWAKEUP.jpg
216KB, 924x647px
>>2543224
I'M FEELING YOU BROTHER

I've had so many surgeries and each one keeps setting me back martially. It's a pain to know a move, but also know that if you did it your knees with detach.

My ground game days are done for. Looks like only boxing, judo and fencing from here on out.
>>
>>2560975
>I disagree. If it wasn't for weight classes you would see more fat fighters. Having a belly makes you hard as fuck to grapple against, it's a lot of weight concentrated in one spot, you can't hip in well for throws, you can't get good grips around the body. it even protects your organs to an extent from strikes. And having more weight behind your punches will always be good
Funnily enough, that's exactly why ancient Roman gladiators were thicc.
>except fuckboi Retiarius
>>
>>2570850
For the few lurkers, it would get drowned in the WWE fags shitposting tide in no time.
>>
>>2571737
Maybe this could help you

https://springloadedtechnology.com/product/levitation-knee-brace/
>>
>Page 9
New thread goes here:
>>2573105
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.