[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eternal HEMA General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 54

File: GermanLongsword_BW_web.png (1MB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
GermanLongsword_BW_web.png
1MB, 1600x1067px
Historical European Martial Arts Thread
Please keep it kind and on topic. Also no SCA/Reenactment/HMB please.

Essential Information:

http://www.communitywalk.com/user/view/81443
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=619536
http://hemaalliance.com/?page_id=686
http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.hroarr.com/
http://www.middleages.hu/english/martialarts/treatise_database.php

old thread: >>1828779
>>
File: bloodsport.jpg (202KB, 1280x857px) Image search: [Google]
bloodsport.jpg
202KB, 1280x857px
>>
>>1913026
I've been wondering, did these guys actually "fence to the bloom", or were these just staged photos?
>>
>>1913027
They really did it.
>loving Meyer this much
>>
File: langes_messer.jpg (855KB, 2832x1068px) Image search: [Google]
langes_messer.jpg
855KB, 2832x1068px
>>1913021
4th for Langes Messer > Langes Schwert
>>
>>1913021
>Please keep it kind and on topic. Also no SCA/Reenactment/HMB please
Shall we give those two lonely HMB/BotN guys asylum as long as they keep it civil?
>>
File: a31_913_v.jpg (103KB, 995x700px) Image search: [Google]
a31_913_v.jpg
103KB, 995x700px
>>1913051
sabre > both
>>
File: federsabre.jpg (182KB, 560x420px) Image search: [Google]
federsabre.jpg
182KB, 560x420px
>>1913063
>>1913051
Happy now?
>>
>>1913029
Awwshiet. Are there any records/videos of guys actually doing this kind of stuff btw? Other than that one of the shirtless, I think german, guys in a forest?
>>
>>1913087
>records/videos
nope. if you do HEMA long enough you hear stories or sometimes even witness certain events where blood is involved, but you keep it quiet.
But there are plenty of pictures from duels in the 19th and 20th century, if this is what you ask for.,
>>
>>1913065
Where's the saber from?
>>
>>1913094
not sure, likely Regenyei
>>
Do you guys do some stretching to not fucking kill yourselves when lunging?
>>
>>1913109
Ja! Stretching and proper warm-up are important!
>>
>>1913109
We warm up alot sure and I stretch alot at home just to make sure I have the lowest and tightest lunge for showing off in class but lunging isn't THAT big a deal as compared to Sport Fencing.

Wide footwork is hard (not impossible) to recover quickly from and tends to kill the flow of your movement. Quite fun though. If anything my clubs been criticised in the past for how low we often go.

It's better to do extended stretching extra curricularly. It's quite a hot debate in the fitness world wether it's more harm than good before hard exercise.

Warm ups should be constant motion.
>>
>>1913109
>not doing these sorts of stretch during your warm up before fencing with anything
>>
>>1913060
Out, heathen!

>>1913109
>Toe touch
>Shoulder roll
>Thigh hug
>Indifferent Frog
seriously, though, you probably shouldn't be lunging deep enough that you'd fuck anything up if you didn't stretch beforehand
>>
>>1913060
Those two HMBfags have been nice. Let's pet them
>>
File: IMG_1757.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1757.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>tfw vertical shins on the lunge
>tfe Destreza style footwork because muh knees (picture related)
I can't "push" my knee further because my anklebone is basically a cube.
>>
>>1913874
Nightmare bud. I'm so scared of knee injuries. I push my legs so hard.

I would do more wrestling and take up Judo or JJ but I'm worried about them.
>>
anyone having experience with the synthetic sabers from blackfencer?
are they a cheap but good entry level weapon for saber fencing?
>>
>>1914962
I don't know about the saber, but blackfender products are usually good
>>
>>1914962
They've got better bind characteristics than Rawlings synthetics but they also hit harder since it's because they're stiffer. In fact they're so stiff they're borderline unsafe in the thrust, I wouldn't like anybody without a SPES/equivalent jacket and throat protector sparring with them.

Nicer hilt furniture by far obviously, but that's also less safe than the Rawlings ones. More expensive as well.

Ultimately, they're nice, but to me they feel like a solution looking for a problem. The cost and protection requirements creep up toward the point where just getting steel seems like a better option, and unlike Rawlings synthetics you can't let newbies slapfight with them in just mask and gloves. I'd never allow it anyway.

So, are they cheap and good? Yeah, in the sense that they cost less than steel and compared to Rawlings synthetics you get higher quality per euro; sturdier and a more accurate simulator. But good entry level weapon? Nix.
>>
>>1915202
so if I already have the gear for steel feders they're a cheap alternative to steel sabers.
in the end I plan on getting steel anyway but I don't know yet if I really like saber fencing...
>>
>>1913051
>>1913063
R A P I E R S
A
P
I
E
R
S
>>
File: Raper.jpg (38KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Raper.jpg
38KB, 1000x1000px
>>1915223
Damn forgot the picture
>>
>>1915220
Oh, in that case I'd say so, yeah.
>>
File: meyer rappier.jpg (97KB, 693x433px) Image search: [Google]
meyer rappier.jpg
97KB, 693x433px
>>1915223
Rappier > rapier
>>
File: Rappier (2)-p.jpg (520KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Rappier (2)-p.jpg
520KB, 900x1200px
>>1915366
Isn't that basically a sidesword?
>>
>>1915497
Yep.
But I never miss the chance to mess up and confoud people talking about it.
>>
>>1915592
kek, I like that
>>
>>1915497
Sidesword is essentially modern terminology.

There's a certain breed that like to revel in this fact.
>>
>>1913784
Don't pet us, we might bite

Also, what are some good resources to learn about longswording/fighting with a 2h sword/zweihander? I know of Talhoff(? I think that's how it's spelled) but I'm not sure where else to look. I wanna learn how to lay waste to my enemies and hear the lamentations of their women
>>
File: 1356473208468.gif (705KB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
1356473208468.gif
705KB, 384x288px
>>1915918
Try and find a HEMA club in your area.

Google Wiktenauer it's all there.
>>
>>1915918
>Talhoff
Talhoffer

Do you want to learn 'Langes Schwert' which is the longsword or actual 'Zweihänder' (also called 'Gassenhauer') used by 'Landsknechte'?

You'll find lots of stuff on the longsword, Liechtenauer, Talhoffer, Meyer for german school, Fiore dei Liberi for italian school.

Dunno about Zweihänder manuals though
>>
>>1915918
http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Category:Weapons
>>
>>1915929
>>1915931
>>1915936
Thanks a lot for the help, guys! I appreciate it.

>>1915931
I'd like to learn about the actual Zweihänder, but I dunno if they're allowed in actual HMB fights. If they were allowed and I could git gud with one, I could probably be a pretty formidable dude. My end goal is to have my HMB armor setup to look as much like a Landsknechte as possible (without sacrificing physical safety, of course)

Either way, I appreciate the responses. I'll look up what you all suggested
>>
File: 1477821530500.jpg (430KB, 1194x824px) Image search: [Google]
1477821530500.jpg
430KB, 1194x824px
>>1913109
>some stretching to not fucking kill yourselves when lunging?

I run for a minute, do 10 push ups and a windmill with both feets and Arms. Thats it and i dont have any problems whatsoever. (Fencing since February)
>>
>>1915223
"Fucking disgusting."

>t. silver
>>
>>1915908
"Spada da lato" was sometimes used in italian sources though (iirc).
>>
>>1915965
Most if not all of the large two-handed sword sources are italian and iberian, not german, mind you. I think there is a debate about how the "Goliath" could be used as such or if it's just a regular longsword treatise with over the top drawings in terms of sword length.

http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Goliath_(MS_Germ.Quart.2020)
>>
>>1915918
I'm not aware of any Zweihaender-specific source in German tradition. The Marxbrueder were given the privilege by Holy Roman Emperor to teach that discipline, but apparently they didn't leave any technical documentation about that.
Apart from that, peeps in the Goliath (MS Germ. Quart. 2020) seem to handle such weaponds, but the illustration are referred to classical Liechtenauer-tier stuff. Now can one apply Liechtenauer longsword to Zweihaender? Likely, yes.
But.
If you are looking for some actual Greatsword-specific stuff you should look at Iberian montante by Luis Godinho or Diogo Gomez De Figueiredo Sanchez De Puta Madre Quintana, or Italian Spadone by Francesco Alfieri
>>
>>1921038
>The Marxbrueder were given the privilege by Holy Roman Emperor to teach that discipline, but apparently they didn't leave any technical documentation about that.
Marks stlye fencing is different from classic Liechtenauer in that it prefers many asymmetric combos of short and long edge strikes, which is close to what the Iberians teach with the Montante. However, the Bidenhänder type of Sword is not explicitly mentioned in their treatises.
>>
>>1921059
Share some Marksbruder stuff plx?
>>
>>1921071
Well, what do you want to know then?
>>
>>1921086
Let's stick to longsword, sauces from which u can tell ok that's clearly Marksbruder style as u said
>>
>>1921094
Meyer, although Freifechter, is clearly in the Marks lineage, but he is is late. The Cologne Fechtbuch, albeit didactically absolute shit, is one of the earliest sources showing the new style. Lower stance, hands further away from the body, strong preference for short edge / long edge combos contrary to the more direct approach of the classic Liechtenauers.
Liechtenauer is like a direct attack, thrust or strike, fast precise and optimally with no follow up needed, but certainly none planed.
Marksbrothers is like a storm of blades, attacks consist of 3-4 strong and fast strikes in a combo from all different angles, sometimes this goes as high as 6 consecutive strikes. Now lots of techniques do not make much sense against a single opponent, but then techniques are titled "Gassenhauer" (alley striker), so it seems plausible that they are not meant for this, but this kinda "area defense" you see with the Iberan Montantes.
>>
>>1921110
Pure gold
Which treatise mentions this Gassenhauer btw? Cologne maybe?
>>
>>1921116
Wiktenauer gives two occurences. The Cologne Fecthregeln,
http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Fechtregeln_(MS_Best.7020_(W*)150)
and Hugo Wittenwiler,
http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Hugo_Wittenwiler
>>
File: hemaween_sword.jpg (10KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
hemaween_sword.jpg
10KB, 450x450px
Why isn't there something like Hemaween?
>>
Beginner here. I start Nov 7 with Armizare intro course for 6 weeks. Any tips?
>>
>>1922359
Starting doing lots of body weight squats now.
>>
>>1922359
You might wanna shave your pubic hairs. Also start to wear a waistcoat and a pocket watch. Other than that you should be fine.
>>
>>1922139
There is, it's called American neckbeards' houses, and it goes on all year.
>>
>>1921153
They are slightly different Witenwiler uses several unterhaus in the sequence.
>>
>>1922488
Nice dubs, but I don't get it. Is this some obscure Yurop meming?
>>
what's your favourite hema video?
I like the action cam and the general level of sparring in this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5w2Mh6CyXo
>>
>>1928771
Old but good, a bit more on the fringe of Hema though. Many common sense mechanics nicely described.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc
>>
>>1928771

This ones a given. My first sight of HEMA and a really full demonstration to boot. I get new stuff from it even 5 years later. Will always have a soft spot for this video.
youtube.com/watch?v=Kj4Ng6DBfrg

youtube.com/watch?v=6C_s3SHAZfI
This is my new fave. I just like it for motivation as much as anything. I've overlistened to that song now though.

Wish I could do more Ringen.
>>
>>1929282
>youtube.com/watch?v=6C_s3SHAZfI
Ah yes, this one's really damn good!
Indes is great, although I'm not the biggest fan of Ingulf Kohlweiss (got the feeling he's some kind of poser)
>>
>>1929299
>Ingulf Kohlweiss
He is one strange medieval hippy, thats for sure, but he knows his shit and he is a great fencer.
I underestimated him the first time I had him behind a blade and was humbled pretty quickly. Turns out he is one of the few guys who can fence pretty much everything with good technique, it is just that he is this strange hippy type and genuinely nice and quiet that you underestimate him or are not sure what to make out of him.
>>
>>1929341
>he knows his shit and he is a great fencer
Absolutely, still not sure about his character but he's really, really good!
>>
>>1929299
Well I'm sure it takes a poser to make these sort of videos.
>>
>>1929366
Why, whats your problem with him? Bad experience?

I spent 3 days in the big dorm in Gothenburg with him and his crew, been to one of his workshop weekends (which was great) and fought him both for fun and competitive. He is vegetarian, always nice, genuinely weird, hippy, medieval, spiritual dreamer, highly intelligent for how naive he might be. Lives in a commune with his other sword hippies as their guru.

When the mask is on he is a strange creature, hard to figure out, hard to trap, hard to lure, he fences his on game, highly mobile, agressive and hitting way above his wight class or reach. I found it extremely hard to force my game on him and had both reach and power advantage on him.

So yes, he is one of the weirder birds in HEMA. but imho also a fine one.
>>
How do you promote your clubs?
>>
>>1929594
German/austrian martial arts focused forums since there's no centralized german hema forum I know of.
Also telling people about it, showing them videos, there's a link to our club on the official website of the city and sometimes interviews for local magazines.
>>
>>1929594
I was thinking about giving out free tattoos with the club logo.
>>
File: Joachim Meÿer square.jpg (10KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
Joachim Meÿer square.jpg
10KB, 236x236px
I'm having trouble with doing Meyers cross/square.
Any tutorials?
>>
>>1929811
To be honest I want a club logo tattoo but I think the club would cringe more than anyone.

>>1929928
How much do you understand and what weapon are using? longsword?
>>
>>1929979
Absolute beginner and yeah a feder.
>>
>>1929996
I'll post tonight if someone hasn't outdone me beforehand.

>>1929389
There's a swordfighting commune in Germany?
>>
>>1930015
No, but there is one in Austria.

>>1929928
Ilkka can help you https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uic_l1Duh3Q
>>
>>1930051
and here with a long sword https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A83KHuiTQSU
>>
>>1922359
At Forteza I take it?
>>
>>1930051
Can people join it? That would be neat. Especially if they wrestle.
>>
>>1929996
Never seen a sword with a double-pommel like that before, do you have a source on the image at all?
>>
>>1930705
you can always write and ask.
>>
>>1930838
May look into it. Would love to travel to study HEMA (past weekend events). I envy all the Muay Thai tourists.
>>
>>1930792
should be fantasy imho.
>>
>>1930792
>black tribesman about to throw a spear.jpg
>>
If you want to learn staff based or spear based HEMA how shit out of luck are you?

T. Judo/kickboxingfag
>>
>>1932025
It is quite difficult to have some serious and safe spear sparring. Nothing stops you from studying the techniques tho.
>>
>>1932025
Could be worse
Sources for staff are plenty, groups that train it are less plenty.
The Gothenburg guys train Meyers staff and halberd system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3ifb8KUTQs
>>
>>1932038
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD93F03suMc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANGUmVFYKEw
>>
>>1932038
Out of interest why is there such little interest in staffs? Surely to me it seems one of the most logical weapons with which to git gud, is it because it's not as flashy/2lethal4u as swords?
>>
>>1932113
Staves*
>>
>>1932113
>it's not as flashy/2lethal4u as swords
I guess it's mostly that.
Most people only care about longswords, rapiers and sabers because they're the most well-known and flashiest historical weapons.

I know that feel too, no love for Langes Messer, although pretty much everyone used it in late medieval times...
>>
>>1932113
I think the main reason is it's difficult to spar effectively with them because a stick is stick and there's no safe/similar sparring alternative.

You can either spar slow and controlled with staffs or all out with a shitty foam noodle that doesn't react like a real staff does. Frustrating.

Swords on the other hand. If it doesn't have a blade it's fairly harmless. With effective gear on even more so.
>>
>>1932113
Also there are way less sources for staff and spear than there is for swords, be it longsword or single-handed sword.

Difficulty to spar is probably the biggest issue though, with staves especially.
>>
>>1932113
It takes tons of discipline to train it, it is next to impossible to spar with and it is not as flashy as sword, plus Ringen and longsword build the basic of the German curriculum.
That said, in Germany you had to master the stave, the sword and the messer to call yourself a fencing master.
In Portugal there is still Jogo do Pau, a living stick fighting tradition.
>>
>>1932285
>That said, in Germany you had to master the stave, the sword and the messer to call yourself a fencing master.
In France (1567-1644) it was sword alone, sword and dagger, greatsword and two-ended staff. But it was also there to prevent filthy italians from robbing the sword masters job of the nice french people, since italian masters kinda stop training the staff after the second half of the 16th century, don't know if it's the same in Germany...

>It takes tons of discipline to train it
Why would you say that, how does it take more discipline than the sword?
>>
>>1930792
Nope, it's historically accurate (pic related)
>>
>>1932334
>Why would you say that, how does it take more discipline than the sword?
I can put on my heavy gear and lecture you all day about the Schielhau, take 150 feder hits from my class and do it again two hours later.
Staves packs so much punch that you simply can't do that, you need good control of your weapon and instincts to do this friendly. So it is slower learning, more for advanced fencers and more on a 1 to 1 learning basis. Also, high injury risk.
Just forget about full speed sparing with real staves, it is next to impossible without serious injury risk.
>>
>>1932337
>sauce plox
Gallowglass swords in the Irish National Museum.
>>
>>1932344
I'd say it all takes (the same) discipline and commitment regardless of the weapon. My main experience with staves is japanese stuff (not that it's really different from what's found in Europe for that matter) and you can do and teach full speed drills quickly, I have had them taught to me the first year, done at full speed with no protection at the end of it. Sparring is obviously out of the question but that's a given. You don't exactly train staves like swords but I don't think they are more demanding in terms of discipline, you shouldn't fool around with any training weapons anyway.
>>
>>1932347
I don't remember seeing them in the museum, I'm there fairly often, whereabouts?
>>
>>1932362
Sorry, but I do not share your opinion
>tried that
>didn't work

>>1932429
No idea, I just quoted google image search.
>>
>>1932570
>>1932429
>>1932347
>>1932337

Seems that specimen is called the Monasteverin sword
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCE9_hjj3pc
>>
>>1932337
How big are these? Hard to make out the scale from that pic tbqh
>>
File: 2016-11-04-08-51-21-887902945.jpg (3KB, 186x82px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-04-08-51-21-887902945.jpg
3KB, 186x82px
>>1913060
>>1913784
Oh gosh, we promise we'll behave.

Does anyone have experince with Fabri Armorum swords. I'm looking for a sword for singles/profights as I only got a """falchion""" for buhurts that's way too cumbersome for 2-3 min pointmatches.
>>
File: 1469446788687.png (226KB, 468x345px) Image search: [Google]
1469446788687.png
226KB, 468x345px
>regenyei group order finally arrived
>will finally get to pick up my first sword tomorrow

Please brace for excited swordposting in about 22 hours.
>>
>>1934398
a sharp sword?
>>
>>1934380
Jiri Krondak ded
>>
>>1934481
Yeah so I heard. :( But aren't they still producing swords? I understood his son is continuing the shop. Don't know how this affects the sword quality though.
>>
File: 313237223.jpg (40KB, 377x480px) Image search: [Google]
313237223.jpg
40KB, 377x480px
>>1934010
Let me google that for you.
So, pic is Vince Evans' reproduction. On his website there's a pic of him wth his repro.
MyArmoury says "the blade is 96.5 cm (that's right about 38 inches)"
Spent about 5 seconds searching
>>
>>1934502
Dunno, sorry. I've had a couple of his swords and used them quite heavily with no significant damage.
No idea of how will the new products be
>>
>>1913021
this honestty looks fun. im a wrestlefag but legit this looks interesting
>>
>>1934466
No.
>>
>>1934521
there is a lot of wrestling in hema too
>>
>>1934532
Feder?
>>
>>1934574
Not a feder, juts a blunt sword.
>>
>>1934575
Do you have someone to spar with? I always wanted to know how sparring with an actual sword feels like, I've only ever used a Feder and now I'm more into Messer and saber ;_;

Tell me everything there is to tell after you've received it!
>>
>>1934579
>Do you have someone to spar with?
Yeah, I'm in a club.

Somebody could probably answer the question of feeling better than me, because it's been quite a few months since I've used a regular steel sword rather than a feder, but if not I'll get back to you on that.
>>
>>1934635
Would be cool, I used a sharp sword a single time to cut a few water bottles and that's it.
From what I've read are blunt sword actually better for training than Feders but I have no clue.
>>
>>1934660
Feels exactly the same to me really. Feders obviously more hand friendly.
>>
Anyone here at Swordfish?
>>
>>1934756
I wish. Once I can finally crack passable sparring I'll be over.
>>
>>1934756
not me this year
>>
File: 200w.gif (1MB, 200x113px) Image search: [Google]
200w.gif
1MB, 200x113px
Bump for helmet safety. Remember those chinstraps.
>>
File: IMG_20161105_170654.jpg (308KB, 497x1669px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161105_170654.jpg
308KB, 497x1669px
nnnnnnnice
>>
>>1936599
looks really nice, how much did it cost?
>>
>>1936689
280 Euros, before shipping. It's a Regenyei blunt sword, it took absolutely ages to arrive.

It handles really nicely, but taking it for a test drive has made me rapidly aware of how quickly and obviously it gets nicked compared to a feder's thicker blade, so I think I'll use it a bit sparingly.
>>
>>1936599
nice one
features?
>>
>>1936848
Well, it has Bluetooth, a cup holder, and you can use it to hit people.
>>
>>1936854
jeez u so smart i now feel ashamed askin about lenght, weight, pob, por and so on
>>
>>1936863
Hey, features wasn't very clear on exactly what you wanted.

Blade length is about 93cm, it weights about 1.3kg give or take, point of balance is 8.5cm from the crossguard.
>>
>>1936873
Huh. The grip looks real short compared to the blade; do you have problems using it with gloves on?
>>
>>1936956
I haven't had any problems with the grip length, and I use Spes heavy gloves which are about as bulky as it gets.
>>
File: feder_ek_1.jpg (28KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
feder_ek_1.jpg
28KB, 640x427px
Where can I buy a cheap feder?
Poor rn, really would appreciate under 300$.
>>
>>1937574
http://www.berbekuczviktor.hu/
>>
Swordfish livechat. Jetzt geht's los!

play.staylive.se/rpmedia/l/1601
>>
>>1937605
fucking hell, it ain't working.
>stream is full, try again in a few minutes
>>
>>1937623
Have a google around see if there's mirrors. It's beyond my ability to computer sadly.

It's just St Marks advertising and some nice demonstrations so far.
>>
>>1937632
yus, I'm in
>>
Nice demonstration of Sword and Buckler here having both styles. Very audience friendly bout to start there.
>>
Now thats a takedown!
>>
Rassling is up
>>
>>1937667
Yea brilliant end. Nice consolation Prize for him.

Been looking forward to the wrestling most. You'd think the Americans would clean up in wrestling with their surviving wrestling culture in schools.
>>
>>1937674
Cheeky attempt for McKenzie.
>>
Am I the only one that thinks Kristine Konsmo looks hot in her referee suit?
>>
>>1937709
If she's the one with the plaits. No.
>>
File: 1472110754922.jpg (88KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
1472110754922.jpg
88KB, 900x600px
>tfw your club has no matts for full on Ringen.
>>
>>1937732
Buy some, do it nao!
Tim Hall fucking rocks, gold medal well earned!
>>
Just saw http://castillearmory.com/ is sponsor, anyone know about them?
>>
>>1937740
I wish premises won't have them.

Yea that looked he was drilling holy shit. Can't weight for the heavy weights.
>>
Loving this Volkov guy. Always nice to see a manlet clean up in a touch sport.
>>
>>1937746
I always thought the middle weight is most fun to watch, more technique and faster guys.
>>
>>1937751
Very much agreed but I can't look forward to it now it's over.

So good that they have classes now. There was some ridiculous match ups a few years ago. What year was it where the guy got his arm broke.

That time was the worst refereeing I've ever seen in my life across all sports.
>>
>>1937755
>What year was it where the guy got his arm broke.
That was with weight classes, Gregor just choose to go for the heavy weight as he would have won middle weight anyways. and he made it to the finals. that with the elbow was bad luck, happens in contact sports.
>>
>>1937755
>That time was the worst refereeing I've ever seen in my life across all sports.
Why, what did the referee had to do with it? it was a takedown and gregor had his arm out, shouldn't do that, he has plenty of experience.
>>
>>1937764
>>1937773
Alright my bad. It seemed to me like it took about 3 seconds to break and the ref should have called it before it did.

It was years ago so I shouldn't comment on something I remember so poorly.
>>
Saber is fucking disappointing, looks like sports-fencing.
>Easton to the rescue!
>>
File: 1470174532323.jpg (13KB, 322x324px) Image search: [Google]
1470174532323.jpg
13KB, 322x324px
Lovely sparks.
>>
Is this Russia's first year at Swordfish?
>>
>>1937791
Nope, third I think in full force. Shame the Poles are still boycotting. Russia vs Poland in sabre would be intradesting
>>
>>1937792
The Poles are boycotting?
>>
>>1937798
Think so, they had this fallout with the Swedes, things went sour and now they are boycotting Swedish events.
>>
>>1937813
Unfortunate.

This second HW bouts making up for that shitty first one.
>>
>>1937820
>This second HW bouts making up for that shitty first one.
Definitely, thats some nice rassling!
>>
>what is ox
>>
File: 1374876884854.jpg (31KB, 313x286px) Image search: [Google]
1374876884854.jpg
31KB, 313x286px
Longswords so satisfying to train but even at this level it can be such a mess to watch.
>>
Ladies LS is shit, as usual.
>>
File: 1437603136958.gif (253KB, 447x415px) Image search: [Google]
1437603136958.gif
253KB, 447x415px
>Looks like their even both redheads.

inb4 Esfinges explodes about that.

>HEMA tournaments
>Were every womans a winner
REEE

Jokes aside. That was trash.
>>
>What is posture.
>What are buckled knees.
>>
Damn, I can't fap to this, step it up ladies!
>>
do euro tournaments ever penalize doubles?
>>
>>1937888
Every time.

That was a mess. I'd be very surprised if they aren't 100 times as anal when the men are on.
>>
>>1937888
Ja, some do count a double as a double kill, both out of the tournament. Swordfish is notorious for double hits and questionable point scoring.
>basically everybody is constantly complaining about the ref descriptions.
>>
Anyone else find Runacres really annoying.

No offence to him and his friends but he's the smuggest guy in HEMA and that's really something.
>>
>Avengers Jackets
A nation of Manchildren.

Look forward to seeing them anyway.
>>
>>1937901
Na mate, its just his accent, he is British, you know, he cannot do much about it really.
>>
File: 1352466918932.jpg (167KB, 767x581px) Image search: [Google]
1352466918932.jpg
167KB, 767x581px
>A schlüssel
>>
File: tumblr_o28s8plDO71rofk3wo9_1280.jpg (40KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o28s8plDO71rofk3wo9_1280.jpg
40KB, 640x960px
>>1937717
ya like fat chicks then?
>>
>>1937918
Do it all the time, Schrankhut and Nebenhut too.
>>
>>1937926
I do plenty of those but never schlüssel. Care to talk about it?

What's it good for?
>>
Rose and Verkehrer, nice one Linnard!
>>
>>1937921
She's skinny on screen here.
>>
>>1937930
first you disguise your distance, second everyone things you go for the thrust, in fact it is a low vom Tag, and you can open with Oberhau, Twerhau and Schielhau, always a nice surprise.
>>
>>1937940
hmm very nice. I'll give it a go.
>>
>>1937945
Extradirty trick, do a one-handed (left) unterhau from there, you hit them right in the balls and no one sees it coming, I call this the Rüppelsheimer Hodenhau. Just pull the pommel down with your left, and do a full 360° backwards strike.
>yes, everybody will hate you, but fuck does it look cool
>>
>>1937959
normally your opponent will take a step forward when he sees you doing this, take one back while you do the strike and he will walk hist ballsack right into the strike.
>>
>>1937959
That one occurred to me know a BIG guy that specialises in a one handed version.
>>
Great coaching, saw them exchanging Twers and thrusts and fought, kill his game, snipe the hand or sweep the leg and force him to cover the Blosse better.
>coach and fencer did just that
>fucking love the Italians
>>
>>1937967
Aye, I know him.
>please don't dox
>>
File: ProfilSyrioForel1.jpg (42KB, 332x532px) Image search: [Google]
ProfilSyrioForel1.jpg
42KB, 332x532px
Why do all Italians talk like Syrio Forel?
>>
>>1937979
Hehe no sweat. That's as far as I was gonna say.

Was it just me or was that the most entertaining Swordfish in years. Loved that.
>>
>>1937674
>You'd think the Americans would clean up in wrestling with their surviving wrestling culture in schools
I think it's more lack of Yank wrestlers knowing about HEMA than anything.

Anyways, I recorded the men's and women's longsword finals.

Any specific thing people want .webmed?
>>
>>1937985
We gotta bad a-english teachers, crappy a-schools, too much a-spaghetti
>>
File: tumblr_ly7vmp3ezW1qaflcxo1_400.jpg (23KB, 321x562px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ly7vmp3ezW1qaflcxo1_400.jpg
23KB, 321x562px
>>1934505
>>1934010
>>1932347
>>1932337
>>1932768
Another double pommel sword detected
>>
>>1938035
source?
>what collection, what museum?
>>
>>1938065
Not even a clue, sorry, found it on pinterest
>>
>>1937862
>Esfinges
Do they still exist? Do they DO anything?

>tfw thought that was one of those things that form and then immediately die because it doesn't really have any aims or purpose
>>
>>1938013
>Anyways, I recorded the men's and women's longsword finals.
>Any specific thing people want .webmed?
Nothing from saber? I'd love the exchanges with the sparks and the one longer exchange in the first round of the finals
>>
File: FaunusivaDisarm.webm (1MB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
FaunusivaDisarm.webm
1MB, 640x640px
>>1938013
Nothing from the Longsword really stood out for me but if you have any of the following that would be great.
>The grapple that ended the Sword and Buckler final.

>Dat saber spark.

>I kind of blinked and missed that showey saber roll from Volkov if you agree it's worth seeing that might be nice.

More the merrier anyway if there's anything woth Webming from Longsword please do.

The womens was so bad I'd become really too distracted to enjoy the Mens as much as the earlier stuff.
>>
Got in ANOTHER argument with a "just grab the shaft"/"get inside their reach" anti-spear/staff fag.

I fall for it every time.

Aside from that, anyone else doing british basket hilted broadsword - Silver/Swetnam/Godfrey/McBane and friends?
How useful do you guys find thrusts? Our group is struggling to find a great use for them in the system aside from an alternate form of riposte. As a main attack it seems to break the principle idea of the true cross and opposition. Any advice?
>>
File: Saber_Exchange_1.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Saber_Exchange_1.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>1939419
>>1939402
not the longsword anon, but here are a few webm's I made from Swordfish '16
>>
File: Saber_Exchange_2.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Saber_Exchange_2.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>1939803
>>
File: Saber_Sparks.webm (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Saber_Sparks.webm
1MB, 1280x720px
>>1939807
>>
File: Saber_Roll.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Saber_Roll.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>1939818
>>
>>1939402
>>1939419
>nothing from saber?
I had stuff to do and could only start recording at the longsword finals.

;_;
>>
>>1939889
I don't know much about longsword, but - this isn't good technique, right? Because, unless I'm missing something, which I likely am, this fight was over in 2 seconds when red got cut under the arm because they both had their weapons wayyy above their heads. But they both kept flailing?
>>
>>1939902
I just like pommel strikes senpai.
>>
>>1939823
I don't even practice any weapon martial arts, but I love the flag-holder guy's expression after the roll. He looks so hype.
>>
>>1939823
y tho
>>
>>1940389
For fun, he was leading anyways.
>>
>>1940389
Sometimes doing dumb shit pays off and gets you a point.

And doing something silly every now and then can get you out of tunnel vision, I find.
>>
>>1939902
Yes. Women's longsword is really, really bad.
>>
>>1940879
shouldn't we ask the organizers if they can swap it for a bikini wrestling tournament next year?
>>
>>1940879
The only woman fighting with a longsword that I've ever sparred I took to pieces and got hit once for every 10 or so hits I got on her.

I was using a broadsword.

To be fair, it seemed like the club she was at barely, if at all, read the manuals, so it wasn't specifically her fault I guess.
>>
Has the Swordfish stream been archived anywhere?
>>
>>1940921
Not yet, it will be up on YT in the next couple days.

>>1940913
I found that ladies perform much better fighting man, just when they fight another it often turns to shit.
>>
>>1940913
I've sparred with a bunch of girls with longsword, and they all (with the exception of one) were absolutely terrible, even with 1 year or more of training. Which I find weird, because I've seen girls do well with rapier or singlestick, or anything one-handed. It's like as soon as they have to use both hands they turn into awkward fillies.
>>
I'm considering starting messer, so please post beautiful messers I can base the reproduction I'll get on.
>>
File: training-langes-messer-wt002.jpg (25KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
training-langes-messer-wt002.jpg
25KB, 1000x1000px
>>1941440
>>
File: LM-JN-A-Total-Kl.jpg (43KB, 788x139px) Image search: [Google]
LM-JN-A-Total-Kl.jpg
43KB, 788x139px
>>1941440
>>
File: LangesMesser.jpg (14KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
LangesMesser.jpg
14KB, 400x300px
>>1941440
more Messer
>>
File: 4.jpg (97KB, 461x346px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
97KB, 461x346px
>>1941440
an the last one
>>
>>1939803
Thanks for these.
>>
Are there any austro-hungarian saber manuals in german or english?
>>
>>1941305
Is this a joke? Rapier takes more arm strength than any other sword and women are absolute shit at it compared to anything less armfucky.
>>
>>1942566
Yes tons!
Gustav Hergsell, Gustáv Arlow, Franz Litomysky and many more. Check the OP post for details in the DB and if you like paperback check http://shop.fines-mundi.de/de/Fechtliteratur
>>
>>1943058
thank you!
>>
>>1942817
Yes, you fell for my elaborate ruse that has no discernible payoff.

>Rapier takes more arm strength than any other sword
Arm endurance, maybe. Not strength.

Girls do better in rapier because it doesn't take as much aggression or power to inquartata and stick an opponent with a thrust. I'm not lying to you, you loon, this is what I've seen with my own eyes over the past 3 years.
>>
>>1943058
Are there any pdf's online? I only found books I'd have to pay for ;_;
>>
>>1941455
>>1941459
>>1941460
>>1941480
Thanks, they look great. The second one is my favourite.
>>
Hey, I had a good time fencing with all sort of craps in hema, and doing silly versus.

I find it really fun to have a fight that is asymmetric.
Sword & buckler vs spear seem nearly balanced. Is there any more combo that leave a fair chance for both fencers ?

Also, fought a kendo guy with 2 chambara sticks, against my spess foam longsword. fun too. Is there any more martial arts with weapons that do sparring, armored or not ?
>>
>>1945079
>Sword & buckler vs spear seem nearly balanced.
Elaborate please
>>
>>1913131
>It's quite a hot debate in the fitness world wether it's more harm than good before hard exercise.

this.
and amen you said that.
>>
>>1930792
>tfw mail is most aesthetic armour
>tfw best period pre-plague (High-Middle Ages)
>tfw can't afford Erik D Shmidt hauberk with seperafte mufflers, coif and chausses
>tfw not /fit/ enough to have dat hint of muscle outlined in shimmering iron
>tfw you'll never be the flowering of chivalry

just end me already kniggas...
>>
File: 1476367835619.jpg (338KB, 1529x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1476367835619.jpg
338KB, 1529x2048px
>>
>>1944471
Also (imo) their "innate" flexibility and leg power.

>Have been pushed over from a lunge by an older lady (former Oly fencer).
>Never been pushed over by a dude.

imo women in longsword like to place their swords together, while men tend to want to push-through.
This changes the dynamics of the fight.

>also inb4 obviously tournament rules dictate techniques, strategies and tactics.
>>
I've got an Albion un-heat treated blade from one of their moat sales.

Would it be sacrilege to not make it into a historically accurate sword? How triggered would people get if I mixed and matched fittings from different time periods?
>>
>>1945810
go for it, whatever floats your boat.
>>
>>1945428
It's basic two-to-one.
The spears advantages can be negated by putting a piece of wood in the way.
Plus having shield of any sort emboldens people to attack more deeply, the spearman has to be very aware that while he can play the distance game to his advantage he'll get rekt up close EVEN if he slips his spear back. Double the rekting if the person gets close, binds the spear/arm and hits him simultaneously. Tripple it if they strike the spear haft on a pass, bind with buckler on a pass, then strike the arms/head/thrust body on a pass. You literally run at them down the straight line (which is their optimal attacking route) and in doing so chocke it all up, bind, supress, and block the spear's main means of attack.
George Silver wrote about this yo.
Now, if said polearm was a halberd or some other heavier weapon, that sword and bucklerman is fugged.
>>
>>1945776
pls go outside in the woods for better lighting and to aide to my maille-fetish fuel.
>>
>>1945812
But the spear can be used as a staff too and the spearman can use the shaft to hit the other dude.
In sparring you don't score a point doing this so people don't do it, but a hard blow with the shaft can actually keep the enemy away or even knock him out in "real fight".
>>
File: 54390006_big.jpg (21KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
54390006_big.jpg
21KB, 800x500px
>>1946789
furthermore, spear is not spear, those dedicated to combat on foot usually have a significant blade, good enough or cutting.
Yet still, I see S&B vs spear as a fair match.
>>
>>1941305
Nagy?
>>
>>1941305
They also do quite well with S&B or rapier and dagger.
I have sparred with two of the ladies in this years swordfish semis and finals at some other events, I did win, but both where challenging fights, so I know first hand this ladies can do proper long sword fencing. It is still a mystery to me why ladies fights always look like that, but when they fight men they suddenly fight way better.
>>
>>1946977
Though obviously this is a partisan.
>>
>>1943058
>Gustav Hergsell
Anyone read a book of Hergsell? How are they? I'm thinking about getting "Unterricht im Säbelfechten" or "Fechtkunst" but not entirely sure which one's better.
>>
>>1947035
So different in use from a spear, huh?
>>
>>1947087
It's somewhere going to be circular reasoning, but it's different to thrust-centric spear since it's some sort of cut&thrust spear. By this simple value it's going to be slightly different.

>those dedicated to combat on foot usually have a significant blade, good enough or cutting.
It was not always true, the spears that were used with shields would usually not be really good for cutting, when you drop the shield, obviously the rise of cut&thrust spears, partisans and their likes arise but fundamently it's obviously not such a different weapon rather an evolution, it still will be able to do more than a spear at usually less reach though.

When the partisan was introduced in the late 15th, early 16th, were purely thrust-centric spear still in use? I would say not really, so I guess if the partisan is the only "spear" of its days, it's use is what we'd call spear-use, if you compare it to earlier spear techniques, I suppose there would be differences, especially since spears used without shields is largely a late medieval era thing.

A rapier isn't very different from a sidesword (same lines as partisan/thrust-centric spear). Is it used differently? I would dare say yes slightly.
>>
>>1947209
>It was not always true, the spears that were used with shields would usually not be really good for cutting, when you drop the shield
we have no manuals on the use of shield and spear, and all manuals we have are heavy on strikes, which implies a blade able for cutting.
I have a high medieval quote somewhere (10th century, frankish) about "Lance-fencing" currently searching it but can't find. Anyways, that source also implies cutting capable spears.
>>
does anyone has good videos for Lecküchner?
>>
>>1947381
I like Agilitas.tv, but I've bookmarked those channels/playlists:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS2Ido1vO9M&list=PLeJeaMc8qUq-xWIg0_8EJ2m07XOLPZ0w_
>https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0YotUWDurZPfPA0--QkprA/videos
>>
>>1947326
Doesn't Marozzo or Manciolino or someone have some partisan and rotella stuff?
>>
>>1947393
thanks, I already knew the second one although they aren't lecküchner exclusive but everything langes messer (And I really like how the guy explains stuff)
>>
>>1947403
Yes they do, I don't think there is a lot of spear&shield before that though.
True that when I thought of spear and shield, it was mostly early medieval, viking era stuff.
>>
File: VQSucsH.png (228KB, 858x725px) Image search: [Google]
VQSucsH.png
228KB, 858x725px
>>1947547
>viking era
>>
>>1946980
What?
>>
>>1947046
Anyone?
Austro-hungarian saber even worth doing?
>>
Does anybody how long does it currently take to have koning gloves made and shipped?
>>
>>1948451
a guy I know ordered it 8 months ago. He is still waiting for it.
>>
>>1948253
Depends on what you consider "worth".

If it's an understudied area, especially one not available widely in English yet, I highly encourage you to look into it. It's always good to have more variety and deeper knowledge of disciplines, particularly when they overlap.

As an example, much British sabre takes cues from Austro-Hungarian sabre. We know that's the case, but the majority of practitioners and even instructors of British sabre don't have access to a lot of Austro-Hungarian works or theory. Help to fill in the gaps and you're doing the HEMA community a big, big, favour.
>>
File: Hergsell_Gustav_1.jpg (58KB, 307x500px) Image search: [Google]
Hergsell_Gustav_1.jpg
58KB, 307x500px
>>1949056
Well, maybe I'm actually getting both "Unterricht im Säbelfechten" and "Die Fechtkunst" since I've been thinking about 'writing it down' and putting it online as a pdf anyway.
Translating it into english would be quite the challenge though (my english's not bad but I fear translating a whole fencing manual could be above my skills...)
>>
>>1949056
>If it's an understudied area, especially one not available widely in English yet, I highly encourage you to look into it. It's always good to have more variety and deeper knowledge of disciplines, particularly when they overlap.

Say I wanted to study some little-known weapon or an untranslated or niche manual like some kind of HEMA hipster. What would you recommend?
>>
What's the best place to start learning Rapier?
And what's the difference between German and Itallian longsword?
>>
>>1945079
Try Arnis/Escrima/Kali for decent matchups against S&B or a single-handed weapon such as the arming sword or a sabre, and you're unlikely to find one but find an A.C.T practitioner if you want to get rekt in unarmoured combat.
>>
>>1949497
>Say I wanted to study some little-known weapon or an untranslated or niche manual like some kind of HEMA hipster. What would you recommend?

Godemiche.
>>
>>1949069
>http://kramerius.nkp.cz/kramerius/MShowMonograph.do?id=15107
Someone here able to read czech? Is it about sport or historical saber fencing?
>>
>>1949643
That was rude
>>
>>1949531
>What's the best place to start learning Rapier?
Italy or Spain. UK should be close second.
>And what's the difference between German and Itallian longsword?
The long sword was used much longer in the German school, so there are way more manuals on it. German school has more back edge techniques and more asymmetric rotations. Other than that the basics are pretty much the same.
>>
>>1949069
Getting it on the web available is a good step towards getting it translated.

Godspeed, anon.
>>
Guy who organizes my local club just bailed on it.
What do lads? I feel insecure about trying to take things over.
>>
>>1949531
>And what's the difference between German and Itallian longsword?

Pretty simillar, but one principle that separates them a bit is that a lot of the time in italian fencing you typically parry and riposte while in german fencing they focus on defending yourself and attacking in the same motion. But very similar techniques and guards in general.
>>
>>1950274
Well what other options do you have?

Pretty much ever club was started by someone who felt the same so we have a very supportive community for more help setting up.
>>
>>1950279
Do it. Everything gonna be ok.
>>
>>1950357
No other options really. I feel that I could do a good job running it, but location, gear, budget. All of these make me concerned.
>>
>>1950279
Why did he bail?
I knew one fat weeb who started a local club then once other started getting better than him, he left and threatened to sue the group.
>>
Just finished an eight week course in foil with a local fencing club.
Would recommend.
>>
>>1950602
Jesus that sounds awful.

This guy is a good dude. He just didn't see it going the direction he intended, and felt like moving on.

My main issue will be finding a venue, as he had a comfy arrangement that kept costs down (an arrangement that is likely leaving with him). This is the frozen north so winter indoors is a necessity.
>>
Hey, I got red dragon gauntlet, but they are a bit too big to be worn on my gambeson, what are the part I can remove that will not remove a necessary protection ?
I like having a wrist, too.

>>1949537
Thanks for the info.

Wait, ACT ? Seriously, sparring with no protection whatsoever ? Are those guy suicidal ?

Also, is staff balanced against longsword ?
>>
>>1950967
If you mean they're too bulky to fit over your sleeve, you could take out the velcro strap. that should let the cuff flare out a lot more to fit over top, and you can secure it with the drawstring.
>>
>>1949923
So some nice czech guy read the first 20 pages and it seems to be about duel fencing with the saber, so perfect for HEMA I guess!
Once I got it I'm gonna upload the scans, translate it and put that online too (if someone's interested)
>>
>>1951515
I like you
>>
What's the difference between a smallsword and a foil? Talking about the weapon physical features, not about use and techniques.
>>
>>1951318
>you could take out the velcro strap
Why bother to remove it when he can just strap it on more loosely or not at all?
>>
File: small11.jpg (98KB, 1000x690px) Image search: [Google]
small11.jpg
98KB, 1000x690px
>>1951650
The foil is the practice variant of the small sword, It is like a Feder to a Long Sword.
It takes its design from French dueling weapons.
>>
>>1951650
Foil is the training tool for smallsword, usually had a simpler eight-shape hollow guard (kinda like enlarged side rings that would meet at the center) and a buttoned tip, plus it was flexible.
>>
>>1951515
You're a good man Anon.
>>
>>1951667
Because it's not just a small piece of velcro, it's a whole loop of rather thick padding going all the way around the wrist, under the rest of the cuff. The extra padding isn't really necessary so if you need more space around the wrist, you can just cut it out.
>>
File: L1.Ch-3.jpg (101KB, 500x342px) Image search: [Google]
L1.Ch-3.jpg
101KB, 500x342px
A friend of mine would like to spar.
I have no idea how compatible or even doable kendo vs hema might be, but I'm going to give it a shot.
I imagine a feder might certainly be too harmful to a shinai or bokken, but would a waster work against a shinai?
Should I get pic related?
>>
>>1951871
Use nylons and get the kendoka a fencing mask.
>>
>>1951871
You're going to run into issues there.
We get these "can I have a kendo v hema" questions once a thread I think. Unfortunately they really are apples and oranges. Not to say that it wouldn't be fun, but the idea behind the two disciplines differs quite significantly.

t. Former Kendoka
>>
>>1951906
Yeah, I figured as such, this would be purely for fun
>>
>>1951554
>>1951824
Thanks, I'm gonna do what I can!
>>
>>1951871
Just use a shinai yourself if he has one, and stick a rattan crossguard on it. The waster's fine if he uses bokken though, I guess, but be aware that both those fucking things will hit HARD.

Schola Gladiatoria used shinai in the earliest days, before there was any kit available.
>>
>>1951871
Blackfencer made a katana waster. Katana waster vs longswors waster should be absolutely ok, if you can spend all those money.
>>
>>1952400
Is a katana waster not just a bokken?
>>
>>1952579
Not sure. IIRC bokken means "wooden sword", so it should work for a nylon waster. But that's just semantic, the point of the topic is what would work for him >>1951871
>>
>>1953008
*it shouldn't work for a nylon waster
>>
>>1950606
To clarify, are you a HEMA guy saying that learning sport fencing can be beneficial for HEMA practice, or somebody new to fencing of any kind who enjoyed learning foil?
>>
>>1954396
Not him, but I once read an article which said foil can be useful to HEMA. Because of the rules that make you focus on parry and riposte instead of suicide attacking.
>>
>>1954396
>learning sport fencing can be beneficial for HEMA practice
Obviously it can. Sport fencers focus much more strongly on the fundamentals of timing and distance, plus the instructors are normally in excellent shape instead of being fatasses with comp sci degrees. The purely physical training is superior and highly relevant.
>>
>>1954933
this, 3 months of tag gaming with a foil will teach you a lot about minding your distance and timing an attack. Sports fencing has much better training methods for beginners, speed up reaction, footwork drills etc. This topic is not mentioned in most HEMA manuals. Now we teach absolute beginners advanced techniques and then wonder why they fail at the basics and their fencing looks awkward.
Thats why HEMA should take a few hints from Oly fencing and make footwork and reaction drills a mainstay of their beginners training.

>knows how to do a perfect Schielhau
>always telegraphs
>always is half a step to far away or to close.
>>
>>1954933
>sport fencers
>fit

are you fucking kidding me
>>
>>1954985
Club in my town has a couple of Olympic medals and tons of EC and WC medals, how do you think a club full of pros and semi pros looks like, lard ass city?
>>
how do you parry if you don't have a guard
>>
>>1954988
I trained fencing at UCLA
their "physical training" was laughable
even though I was training wrestling prior to that
but still, I honestly can't believe anyone who practices a martial art could be less fit than that
>>
>>1950606
>>1954396
>>1954933
>>1954960
Anyone of you guys having a YT playlist with good beginner drills?
No sport fencing clubs nearby ;_;
>>
>>1954990
deflection blows, but it is a tough game.
>>
>>1952355
isn't the shinai super light?
>>
>>1954994
Here we have beginner classes for 7 year olds where some nice combloc trainers teach you about the serious side of life...

>>1954996
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46MOeRyMxyo
there is also good stuff from boxing footwork to be found.
>>
>>1954998
let's say you have to go to a place with thick forest where people carry machetes with them and you might have to fight one of them
would carrying a modified machete with a guard look suspicious or something? what are my options?
>>
File: BauernwehrMArek.jpg (416KB, 1774x1127px) Image search: [Google]
BauernwehrMArek.jpg
416KB, 1774x1127px
>>1955007
Son, this is highly suspicious, seriously stupid.
but since you asked nicely, get a ontario heavy duty machete with the knuckleguard, then add a so called nagel like in pic related on the right side of the handle. now you have a pretty good cleaver.
>get a gun you fucking moron or don't go place where you get into machete fights.
>>
>>1955006
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46MOeRyMxyo
thanks!
>>
>>1955007
So hows the Kongo this time of the year?
>>
>>1955007
>>1955024
>>1955021
> where people carry machetes with them and you might have to fight one of them
https://vimeo.com/182706453
>>
>>1955021
do you think a plastic knuckleguard would stand a blow from a machete nigga
>>
>>1955027
sounds like bullshido
>>
File: DSC04545.jpg (159KB, 616x413px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04545.jpg
159KB, 616x413px
>>1955030
Then get a dutch klewang, works perfectly fine as a machete and is a light and jungle proven cutlass.
>still a stupid idea
>>
>>1954990
With a rising deflection done with the false edge / back of the blade?
>>
>>1955027
some of the moves make sense and remind of messer, their still seems a bit eccentric, but then training with sharps is a weird thing anyways.
>>
>>1955046
>but then training with sharps is a weird thing anyways
say it again and Roland will kill you in your sleep
>>
File: notsosureaboutitroland.jpg (61KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
notsosureaboutitroland.jpg
61KB, 1280x720px
>>1955049
>heard some hammaborg training injury stories
>>
>>1955052
Tell
>>
>>1955062
what happens at the midnight brawl stays at the midnight brawl
>>
>>1955070
Come on man
>>
>>1955070
Let's say what happens to be told in /asp/ stays in /asp/ and tell us all about those juicy stories you've heard
>>
>>1955052
>>1955070
Stop being a fag and just tell us. If the injuries were interesting enough, I'm sure plenty of other people have heard about them before.
>>
BUMP LIMIT REACHED
NEW THREAD HERE >>1955817

BUMP LIMIT REACHED

BUMP LIMIT REACHED
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 54

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.