[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eternal HEMA General (swordsexual edition)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 215
Thread images: 23

File: hema.jpg (3MB, 2940x1368px) Image search: [Google]
hema.jpg
3MB, 2940x1368px
Historical European Martial Arts Thread
Please keep it kind and on topic. Also no SCA/Reenactment/HMB please.

Essential Information:

http://www.communitywalk.com/user/view/81443
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=619536
http://hemaalliance.com/?page_id=686
http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Main_Page
http://www.hroarr.com/
http://www.middleages.hu/english/martialarts/treatise_database.php

Old thread: >>1416141
>>
File: Swiss_Sabre.jpg (142KB, 820x800px) Image search: [Google]
Swiss_Sabre.jpg
142KB, 820x800px
>>1430349
>post sexy bitches
>>
>>1430336
>XVIIIb
pleb tier swordtrender
reeee, trublades only
>>
File: 3longswords_s.jpg (31KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
3longswords_s.jpg
31KB, 800x533px
>>1430389
Maybe a XXII can make you hard then good sir?
>implying you wouldn't
>>
>>1430336
XIIa's are sexy, too.
>>
>The HEMA club I joined has everyone fighting with an arming sword in one hand and a banner in the other? And they do this weird training exercise where you spar while hopping on one foot "to simulate horseback fighting"? Is this normal?

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>1430677
Testing who falls for the low quality bait?
>implying it wasn't (You)
>>
Oakeshott XIV and I've said it all
>>
>>1430349
Anyone else think the A&A feder schilts look sexy as fuck?
>>
File: Basket-Hilt Styles 1 & 2..jpg (729KB, 2560x1484px) Image search: [Google]
Basket-Hilt Styles 1 & 2..jpg
729KB, 2560x1484px
>>1430358
>>1430401
Look at those skinny bitches.
>High test swordsman reportan
>>
>>1431313
I actually think it looks kinda bad. It's distinctive enough, but I wouldn't want one myself.
>>
Did people sharpen the edges of their bucklers historically? I think I heard Matt Easton mention that offhandedly when talking about sword+buckler versus rapier+dagger.

Are any of the Talhoffer buckler reproductions any good? I want one for some reason.
>>
>>1431815
I'm not aware of any original buckler with sharp edge
>>
>>1430358
>>1430401
Why did they make the repro a fourth longer than the original, we'll never know; twas heavier as well, anyway...
>>
>>1431815
why would you do that? You can't really do meaningful cutting motions with the side of the buckler and there is a huge chance that it will be pressed against you, so what's the point apart from being literally edgy?
>>
>>1432121
>scream like Xena
>throw the buckle like it was a frisbee
>become your hero from a 90's tv show
>>
>>1432189
seems legit
>>
>>1430349

So I found this video of classical saber fencing. and its evolution to the modern style. It doesn't look like the stuff Ive seen in hema. Why the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loluky6-8Jk
>>
>>1433277
I don't know where you've been looking but the beginning looks pretty close to HEMA while the end looks pretty close to modern saber (obviously since it comes from there).

And the video itself explains why the difference: Weapon weights.
>>
>>1433277
What style of HEMA saber have you seen? If you've seen polish saber for example then it wouldn't look much like in the video because they have a pretty different system. There are many different saber styles and they differ a lot.

Clumsy movement in the first one seems to be much due to heavy and clumsy protective gear, modern gear won't restrict and slow you down as much as it used to 100 years ago.
>>
>>1433307
Ive mostly been looking at the saber stuff skalligrim has posed,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19hR04Ckb8
this is polish saber but its much like the other videos he has posted

alot of swiping cuts and blade contact, not alot of use of the point.
>>
>>1433342
Hutton for example has a lot of parry and riposte with a thrust IIRC.
>>
File: Sabel_m1893.jpg (613KB, 2817x464px) Image search: [Google]
Sabel_m1893.jpg
613KB, 2817x464px
>>1433342
Polish sabers are quite curved and they end up doing a lot of sweeping movements, so they don't thrust as much as other styles of fencing. Swedish saber for example are straight so the movements for them tend to be much tighter by comparison.

Just look at the swords in that video and you'll probably realize why they thrust less than someone with pic related would.
>>
>>1433368
That does make sense, they tend to be using very curved sabers in most of their videos.

Are there any good videos of more straighter sabers?
>>
To those that got the Hungarian munitions feder, how long did it take to ship to you?
>>
>>1433740
officially it's 8-10 weeks to make one, but if shit doesn't hit the fan the guy can make it in half that time. Plus shipping time obviously.
Sadly, right now shit does hit the fan as the heat treating guys fucking up the blades.

source: I'm sitting right next to the blacksmith
>>
>>1433277
The video also features a mention of the "light but deadly Italian sabre" and credits it with the change in technique.

Anyone know anything about the Italian sabre mentioned
>>
Anyone going to Combat Con?
>>
>>1434389
Fuck, I thought he put it back on the store since he made them already.

Thank you for the info though.
>>
>>1434396
might be Luigi Barbasetti's work that seemed to have revolutionized the Austrian-Hungarian sabre fencing
>>
>>1434498
he got a fuckton of orders instantly and always talks with the customer about what little modifications they want (lighter, heavier, different grip, etc) they want. That is if the customer wants it.
>>
>>1434512
I didn't know we could customise it!

I'd ask for it to be lighter if I didn't order already. I sent him a message before ordering but I didn't get a response back and I didn't want to miss a chance of getting one. Is it best to message him on Etsy?
>>
>>1434529
etsy or facebook, he reads both and tries to answer everyone but have to work too.
And in theory there is a button on etsy of "customize this item" or something along that line, allegedly that's where you can ask custom modifications. But I tell him to look at the messages, also don't worry, you can still ask for customization as the water-jet cutters are behind schedules so he couldn't really start on the feders yet.
Also he is working on my gorget (and cursing in the meantime) right now, so there is that, and there will be a little repair/maintain on my gauntlets and buffe too
>>
File: image.jpg (15KB, 267x188px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15KB, 267x188px
How hard is teaching HEMA?
I've thought about reading some treatises, buying two federschwerter and doing personal lessons.
The sport is virtually unheard of in my country but there is ample supply of nerds who would be interested.
>>
>>1435947
It's like teaching anything else really. It can be really hard to do it well and making sure that the students feel that they're learning and having a good time. If you're just starting out then i personally think that you should treat it like a study group for people with a common interest instead of appointing teachers right away. Especially since it sounds like you don't have any practical experience yourself, it's always tricky to apply the things you read into practice.

Am i correct to assume that you haven't done any fencing before but you're interested in starting a group?

What country are you in?
>>
>>1435978
I live in guatemala.
I did sport fencing for a year and a bit, but i recently became interested in HEMA.
But no, i haven't had any real fencing experience aside from that.
I'm not nevessarily looking to start a legit group, but more like private lessons to offer an alternative to sport fencing
>>
>>1435995
Ok, it will be really hard to have lessons in something you don't really know yourself. So it would be hard to convince people to pay for it when you don't have any experience yourself. Try to find some other people who are interested and start practicing together to learn what it's like first. Buy a couple of synthetic swords and try to get people to train with you and see where it goes from there. That would make more sense to me.

There was a HEMA tournament in Mexico City a while back, so there are events where you can go to seminars and workshops in latin america as well, or southern USA. Depends on how far you are willing to travel. But if you're just starting out then you need to practice a while before going to tournaments.
>>
>>1436049
Will do, thanks for the advice.
>>
>>1436066
I would recommend getting some Rawlings or Purpleheart synthetic longswords, you can use those for solo drills as well as light sparring with others without needing a lot of protection, just a mask and gloves. Purpleheart are located in Texas so shipping to guatemala shouldn't be outrageous.

http://www.woodenswords.com/product_p/type-iii-50.htm
>>
>>1435995
>>1435947
Here's a ton of drills that some guys put up. I've had them recommended to me before. There's tons of them:
https://www.youtube.com/user/LearnSwordFighting/videos?shelf_id=1&view=0&sort=dd

And these guys go through lots of the Dobringer treatise, if that's what your into:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCni2cUc_CoKGp6N9Usg0HodxZ4vYHLn9
>>
>>1436369
Thanks anon
>>
>>1435947
Also remember that HEMA isn't only longsword and longsword isn't only KdF. And that longsword isn't necessarily the easiest thing to learn from the treatises, which are typically the oldest and not the most readily understandable.
>>
>>1434570
Thank you for the information, I appreciate it.

I sent him a message.
>>
anyone know where to get 'hema socks'?
see them in a lot of vids, are they just football socks?
>>
>>1437426
Yes. Well, soccer socks in the USA i guess.
>>
File: 1455090903008.jpg (48KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
1455090903008.jpg
48KB, 500x332px
>>1435995
http://www.encasedinsteel.co.uk/

it's a blog that has written a lot about starting new groups. check the tags.
>>
>>1436763
Yeah but german school of longsword is really what i'm interested in
>>
>>1437426
I wear ladies over the knee socks because they're less warm and don't slip away from your breeches. They're also mega cheap.
>>
>>1437853
A year of sports fencing and a couple online vids won't qualify you as a teacher. Especially not for cash.
>>
>>1435947
>I've thought about reading some treatises, buying two federschwerter and doing personal lessons.
>>1435995
>I did sport fencing for a year and a bit

This sounds a lot like someone who did boxing for a year and a bit getting a google translated version of a so-so fencing book and a pair of foils and trying to pass himself off as a sport fencing teacher.
>>
>>1438028
>>1438234
You're right, it would be a bit of a scam
>>
>>1437897
Finally, I can use those for something else.
>>
Why does everyone use a black jacket?
>>
>>1439154
Neutral colour, easy to see flags and other patches on it. Fencing jackets tend to get really nasty quick, if a black jacket becomes dirty you can't see it. Also matches the masks, they're typically black too.
>>
>>1439165
Sounds good. I'm getting an unpolished feder so I thought the dark blade would contrast well with a white jacket.
>>
>>1439171
I guess it would. But it'll probably look dirty really fast. Hema is a pretty intense sport after all. I have a pair of dark green SPES pants and they still look OK though. Guess you'll just have to wash it more often if you get a white one.
>>
>>1439165
Also if the blades are tipped in a bright colour (around here the preference is yellow) it makes it easier to spot hits for marshals on the black.
>>
My cats nose is so fucking moist
>>
>>1439154
Alot of clubs like uniform gear to give the air of a serious sport or martial art like HEMA frankly deserves. That and black is the standard and assumably cheaper colour.

Other colours are taking off now though I've seen a few.

Anythings better than brown stained white anyway.
>>
>>1440336
>Alot of clubs like uniform gear to give the air of a serious sport or martial art like HEMA frankly deserves
honestly, that try-hard attitude is what make people think that HEMA isn't serious.
>>
File: fullretard.jpg (28KB, 450x373px) Image search: [Google]
fullretard.jpg
28KB, 450x373px
>>1440461
>People taking their sport seriously makes people think the sport isn't serious
>>
>>1440655
great work at being an autist.
There is a difference in taking seriously things, and doing everything to LOOK like serious business. It looks like overcompensation, doesn't matter if it's actually overcompensation or not, to the outside observer it will look like this.
>>
>>1440461
I have to say I sit around half way on this one. I've been to plenty of tournaments where rank old reenactment gambisons and Football shoulder pads where the rule and definately get behind some standardisation but full black Spes gear on every one makes it a boring spectator sport. Especially in videos.

I'm a flaming painted maskfag though so my opinion doesn't count for much.

Anyway we've opened kettle of fish that regularly ruins these threads so I'll change the subject to how much I'm enjoying Martin Fabians rapier series. Best HEMA videos I've seen in years.
>>
>>1440701
Don't worry, now we can have full black Spes, Neyman, PBT, Gajardoni, and Black Armoury.
>>
>>1440701
nah, we stay and enjoy the shitshow until someone change his mind. That's how 4chan rolls
>>
>>1440701
I don't mind some color. The dutch at Swordfish usually wear orange jackets and i think that's kinda cool. Easy to tell the fencers apart.
>>
>>1440717
So, forever?
>>
File: a1e[1].png (258KB, 600x439px) Image search: [Google]
a1e[1].png
258KB, 600x439px
>>1440719
>>
File: 14.jpg (157KB, 620x877px) Image search: [Google]
14.jpg
157KB, 620x877px
>>1440770
You can't hold me!
>>
I just moved to the US from europe, obviously that changes the price situation a bit. Back in europe getting a Regenyei feder would have been the cheap option but here in the states Regenyeis are more expensive. What brands are the best to consider when shopping for swords in the US?
>>
Can someone explain that Dimicator "hip hinge" thing?
>>
>>1444961
Keep back straight, lean by bending at the hips.
>>
File: 1347127928639.jpg (42KB, 300x473px) Image search: [Google]
1347127928639.jpg
42KB, 300x473px
Any more like this?
youtube.com/user/LearnSwordFighting/videos
www.youtube.com/channel/UCK4EZcblljPM1fJRQRmE-sw/videos
Instructional video's I mean.
>>
File: 1367788041274.jpg (31KB, 552x475px) Image search: [Google]
1367788041274.jpg
31KB, 552x475px
>>1444961
Just search youtube for hip hinge you'll get lots of lifters and trainers describing it.

Essentially when bending to pick something up you should keep your back straight. Your abs tight and push your ass out so you pivot from the leg joint not bend your back.

It's kind of the opposite of most martial arts structure which encourages pushing the hips forward and rounding the back to best deal with lateral rather than vertical pressure on the spine like lifting.
>>
only a few people look like participate sword fight, why? not cool? or can't hit opponent hundred times like mma?
>>
>>1445575
>only a few people look like participate sword fight, why?

Have you seen a doctor recently?
>>
>>1445575
It's genuinely baffling to me that more people don't want to do HEMA but I'm a born sword nut.

Most people see it as a very impractical martial art since it's not directly applicable for self defense and on the offensive side of the scale is far beyond anything you could legally get away with.

Also alot of guys I know. Pretty tough guys who box to a good level are extremely intimidated by having even a feder pointed at them and think I'm a nutter for sparring with swords. Even though to me HEMA seems by far the tamer of the two.

Finally as much as people like to say otherwise in some threads HEMA is not a cheap way to learn martial arts. Ofcourse you don't your own kit but anyone who can kit up does.
>>
>>1445929
It's not terribly expensive as far as hobbies go, but it is quite expensive for a MA. Though i think it's more or less on par with kendo, with kendo being able to go crazier with the top end gear.

Unless you get into full plate stuff.
>>
>>1433368
>Swedish saber for example are straight
Isn't that a pallasch?

>>1440701
>Martin Fabians rapier series
Link?
>>
>>1447156
>Isn't that a pallasch?
Maybe. But it seems to be very vague term.
>>
If competing is one of your HEMA goals, then how soon is too soon to compete? How far along were you when you first competed?
>>
>>1448038
I went to my first tournament after less than a year, and a guy I know after 3 months (it was a team tournament though, he was there to substitute someone in case they couldn't keep going). I think generally you should tell your teacher that you're interested and they will determine if you're ready or not, and it depends on the tournament too, of course
>>
>>1448038
It depends on people, their clubs and the tournaments.
Some clubs let noobs attend tournaments soon because there's always something to learn. Other clubs don't to avoid noobs to develop bad habits due to the sportification of HEMA.
Beginner tournaments are more noob friendly and let then have more fun instead of getting rekt immediatly.
Instructor have to decide if someone is ready or not looking both at his techniques and behaviour.
There is no standard.
>>
>>1447156
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4bdKIpRnFJUb0ZEfXn1xZQyodMRp5Q1S
>>
File: blackkilij.jpg (29KB, 800x176px) Image search: [Google]
blackkilij.jpg
29KB, 800x176px
>>1430358
>>1430401
>>1431319
>>
>>1433342
you must not have seen his more recent polish saber videos, where two instructors spar and there's lots of use of the point
>>
File: Hafström 01.jpg (128KB, 1061x342px) Image search: [Google]
Hafström 01.jpg
128KB, 1061x342px
>>1447651
It seems to be more a late 19th-early 20th century thing than somethign specifically Swedish (and most sabres used by the Swedish military have been curved, we have a few straight "demi-leafblades" around the mid 19th century, and then things turn straight in the 1890's). The Patton sabre for example comes to mind, and I suspect the whole thing is by and large a result of sabre designs being influenced more and more by the sabres of sport fencing, which had turned straight somewhere around there (and, of course, still are).

In Sweden, the pallasch is specifically a heavy cavalry sword, but our use of that term might be a bit questionable to be honest. It may be that the pallasch had faded from sue by and alrge by the time of these straight sabres, giving us a time-based distinction between them.
>>
>We have no biographical data on Johannes Lichtenauer. If we compare it with Hans Talhoffer of whom we nearly know where he slept at a certain night, it summs up suspiciously zero knowledge. Reason is: he never existed. Johannes Liechtenauer was made up from two saints: John the Baptist and Conradi a Lichtenau. The latter name was made up from the old german term "līhten" for making something light that had been heavy before. Which means to bring enlightenment to the people. That is easy to prove as it is a tautology. An "au" is a place of light in the forest near a small stream. So Liechtenauer means to bring light to a place of light. Such names are clearly invented and not natural like "Schmied, Müller, or Meyer" (Smith, Miller, or Steward). Conradi a Lichtenau was invented too. Decades long the so called historians had taught us that he had written "Chronicon Urspergense" and laughed at the skeptics. Today they are forced to admit that the "Chronicon Urspergense" was not written by the said Konrad and that it is probably made up in later times. But I don't want to ramble on that story here. But I needed to make this point, so that you can understand the truth better
It's very often in the faked history that they recycled the biography names and concepts. The story and life of Conradi a Lichtenau was reused very often and is used even today to fake the existence of modern bringers of light (e.g. the brothers Lumière).
to be continued...
>>
>>1449597
as far as I know the pallasch or as it is called in hungary "pallós"/"pallos" is indeed a cavalry sword, slightly curved but because of one certain RPG that is very popular in the country nowday every fucking sword that isn't purely one handed is called a "pallós"
>>
>>1449616
>So they recycled the concept of an authorship of a book that will bring enlightenment. But they wanted to make this new invented person very special and added the name "Johannes" from John the Baptist to it. This is a code for the command to an copy and distribute the content like a baptist would distribute the faith to the initiates. The whole invention took place in the late 17th or 18th century, the date termination of the fake is not clear. But we all know that they invented the German language in the 18th century. There had been no common dictionary before the „Adelung“ and everywhere in Germany they had an own kind of Deutsch. They would never understand what it is written in a book that had been written only 100 miles away. It is entirely stupid to say that someone from Danzig would understand someone from Swabia before that dictionary created a common understanding of terms.
Lichtenauer conspiracy theory!
>>
>>1449324
Those are some extremely sexy fullers on that blade.
>>
>>1449597
>and I suspect the whole thing is by and large a result of sabre designs being influenced more and more by the sabres of sport fencing, which had turned straight somewhere around there (and, of course, still are).

It had less to do with that and more to do with the changing role of cavalry, and cavalry charges.
>>
>>1449616
>>1449625
I'm surprised this already got its way to 4chan
>>
inexpensive fencing pants in the uk?
>>
>>1450778
Random sports pants. Just check that you can lunge properly if you're into that.
>>
>>1450793
im after the protection as well.
>>
>>1450801
Then forget about cheap.

All i can say is that the Neyman pants are bad bang for the buck as far as protection goes. The foam plate or whatever it is is plenty sturdy but it's just one big plate, which makes them very stiff (i can't actually do a full lunge in them) and doesn't actually cover the part closer to the knee.

Spes pants are a bit more expensive but IMO worth it. Or you can go a bit further and get PBT which apparently even have integrated knee protection.
>>
>>1450813
>my club is full of kilts
few folks at my club wear tactikilts, utilikilts, whatever, and put blocks of sturdy plastic on the thigh pockets, wouldn't be seen dead in one though.
>>
>>1450820
One guy in my club actually showed up in one once... but since he's short on cash maybe i'll suggest it to him.
>>
>>1450820
>>1450826
And then people complain about painted masks or patches on the jackets.
>>
>>1449954
maybe it was just fashion?
>>
>>1451777
Wait, there are people who complain about patches?

Painted masks I can understand, never seen one that didn't look spergy even when I knew the guy wearing it was a great guy, but patches?
>>
>>1453864
Is this your first time in a HEMA general?
>>
>>1439154
Well its the opposite color white, which fencing used. Easy to differenciate. Also these
>>1439165
>>1440336
>>
>>1454522
Well in Poland all the big clubs where different colors, Gdansk wears black, Vectir red and Arma has purple jackets. But then, Poland is SPESland.
>>
>>1450801
>>1450813
Leon Paul's version of the SPES breeches work out cheaper in the UK. Particularly after recent events. If you're willing to spend a bit more and still pay the HEMA BREXIT tax, take a look at Garjadoni. The protection is far more module than most other makes, so you've got light training and heavy sparring pants in one.
>>
>>1454789
>Garjadoni
Fuck yes, anyone saw a review of their Challenge Jacket?
>>
>>1454813
On that issue, anyone got experience with the SPES Hussar Jacket?
>>
>>1454813
I've heard from a few guys it is the best jacket ever. I saw it but didn't tried it. It didn't look so protective to me, to be honest.
>>
Why does every HEMA tournament look nothing like what's practised? It's like all technique is thrown out the window. I know it's a combination of nerves, equipment (Especially the gloves) and realism of a fight, but I never see anything beyond the absolute basics.
>>
>>1455502
Well maybe you haven't been to a good tournament then or you're too inexperienced to appreciate full speed sparring (no offence intended. I just used to have the same opinion).

First off you're probably right. What you saw was probably shit but I'll wade in to their defense anyway because I'm reminded of a quote: 'I would not give a fig for the simplicity this side of complexity, but I
would give my life for the simplicity on the other side of complexity'.

A heavy zornhau from a beginner trading hard hits with another beginner can often look every bit as subtle in the split second exchange as a feinted Zwerch changed through to a strong advancing schielhau from an experienced fencer.

Technique isn't thrown out by any means it's drilled to second nature and then perhaps concealed by showmanship. The best fencers I know swagger or loiter out of distance in sloppy guards but within a split second their strikes, their parries are structurally perfect and that's what matters. Sometimes fencing that appears sloppy is the most thought out and nuanced of all.

The easiest opponent by far is the intermediate fencer whose form is so clear and perfect you can easily and predictably counter your attacks. Only experienced enough to fall for feints and other psychological tricks that make fencing so fun. Unlike buffalo beginners who walk straight onto your point to get their strike in anyway.

There's alot of other factors here I genuinely strongly believe that full speed sparring with masks and gear does not simulate real swordfighting. Subconscious fears and caution are all but thrown out and fencing becomes much more aggressive even with conscious effort to simulate said instincts.

Watch people spar at reasonable intensity without gear and you see techniques very clearly and commonly but at high level techniques are still clearly on show if you know what you're looking at.
>>
>>1455502
Why does ever MMA fight turn into hugging and dickpunching?
>>
>>1454725
Of all places, it seems like Poland is a HEMA paradise.
>>
>>1454405
Not him but I've only been in a few and I don't know about this, can someone explain?
>>
File: flaming weapons.jpg (535KB, 1280x1800px) Image search: [Google]
flaming weapons.jpg
535KB, 1280x1800px
>>1456849
Some people here think HEMA gear should always be plain black without any distinguishing feature, including patches, otherwise the world will think HEMA is LARP and not a serious sport, and everything will be forever ruined for everyone.
>>
>>1458809
Seems a bit excessive if you ask me.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFHp44nO95A

If sport fencing looked more like this, I'd be all over it. The French foil stuff at the beginning is gorgeous.
>>
>>1460789
That disarm was magical.

And agreed. Take sport fencing "back" 100-150 years and add singlestick, and I'd be all over it.
>>
>>1460789
they'd need to slow down for that, which means heavier weapons, which means heavier gear. I don't think they'll ever want to go that way.
>>
>>1460789
Very elegant, excellent binding&winding, sexy old style jackets. I really enjoyed this video.
>>
>>1460789
Is this the state of the art in America?

Christ, Amerifags.
>>
>>1463033
This is slow Classical Fencing.
>>
File: 1-fencing-18th-century-granger.jpg (90KB, 900x500px) Image search: [Google]
1-fencing-18th-century-granger.jpg
90KB, 900x500px
Sup espadasexuals.

Looking for English, or English translations of 18thC combat manuals, preferring originals. Smallswords, hangers, bayonet. Can /asp/ share pdf files?

Bonus points for anything from the second half of the 18thC (1750-1799)
>>
File: e9d.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
e9d.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>1463033
>>
>>1460789
I think HEMA needs to do more exhibition fighting like in this video. It looked great, the movements were precise and easy to follow, and each fighter gave the other just enough tempo so that techniques could be performed.
>>
>>1463033
Elaborate your criticism, please
>>
>>1464440
Here the Oh_so_obvious manual that comes immediately to my mind.
http://www.hroarr.com/manuals/sabre-cutlass-broadsword-rapier/Angelo_-_School_of_Fencing.pdf
>>
good source material for sabres such as the 1796 light cavalry?
>>
>>1466525
I personally did not find it very impressive, slow blade work and minimal footwork might be easy to follow but dont empress much
>>
>>1469788
They impress if you're starting out. If you speed that up, unless you have a lot of experience, it's hard to follow. It all looks like interchangeable poking.

Videos like these help improve public appreciation.
>>
>>1469788
Slow mo blade work makes techniques more clear to follow
It is also a good exercise
>>
>>1470151
doing things slowly definitely has its place, it was the fact it was slow competitive work, and it was also lacking much footwork
>>
>>1470163
?
The video itself said "exhibition", as in a show.
>>
Anyone have any idea how the Sport Fencing community views HEMA? Just curious but not sure where to look.
>>
>>1472460
There are been several sport fencers here who argued that they have a higher standard to technique and athleticism which would win out.
>>
>>1472471
Thee has been one frustrated guy shitposting on here, the others where quite friendly but not really interested.
And yes, athleticism, especially the one needed for fencing, is higher developed with sports fencing.I am sure that someone with a profound fencing background before converting to HEMA will outmatch your average HEMAtist in distance management, timing, precision and likely also fight intelligence by a fair margin.
>>
>>1473189
I suppose that's kinda irrelevant once you consider that a "profound" whatever combat artist, will generally outmatch an average whatever combat artist.
>>
>>1473634
I'm just saying that sports fencing gets you the basics needed for real fencing much better than HEMA training. It just lacks the techniques.
>>
>>1461482
Or they could keep the same level of gear that they have and come to terms with the fact that nicks and bruises are going to happen sometimes.
>>
>>1474194
They already get bruises and some already aim to hit the wrist for damage even if it doesn't score.

With heavier weapons they'd need more gear.
>>
>>1464440
Sorry for being slow on the ball, Gropey, but I think this is the link you want: http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=21
>>
BOTN in Japan manga is here.
HEMA manga or comic when? [spoiler]Does Knights count?[/spoiler]
>>
>>1474914
>HEMA manga or comic when
I'm an animator by trade and a few mates and I thought about making a sizzle-reel to pitch a HEMA related anime.

Do you guys think we should?

Or should we have a standard Hero of a Thousand Faces one where a young NEET gets transported from Tokyo to Non-descript time period Europe and has to learn from various masters (Lichtenauer, Ott, Fiore, Marrozzo, Meyer, Hope, Gigantti, et al), fighting his way to mastery.
Maybe with a cross hilted katana to be cheesy...
>>
>>1475264
>Or should we have a standard Hero of a Thousand Faces one where a young NEET gets transported from Tokyo to Non-descript time period Europe and has to learn from various masters (Lichtenauer, Ott, Fiore, Marrozzo, Meyer, Hope, Gigantti, et al), fighting his way to mastery.
No, that sucks. He should be transported into 30YW Europe and have to learn rapier from an ancient, super decrepit Agrippa so he can defeat each of the boss monster fencers in turn, from Thibault up through Capo Ferro until he has to face down the ultimate grandmaster of them all, Fabris. To end the war, of course.
>>
>>1475264
>gets transported from Tokyo to Non-descript time period Europe and has to learn from various masters (Lichtenauer, Ott, Fiore, Marrozzo, Meyer, Hope, Gigantti, et al), fighting his way to mastery.

I like this idea. Have him fight an unspeakably evil dragon wizard. They fight, and when the hero is about to strike the finishing blow, the dragon wizard flings him into the future.
>>
>>1475264
>Every fencing master throughout history are actually cute lolis
>>
File: SuzukiGSX-R750.png (1MB, 1344x2000px) Image search: [Google]
SuzukiGSX-R750.png
1MB, 1344x2000px
>>1475264
>>1475387
Literally no one will buy this. Japan hates non-Japan settings. Your best bet is to Bakuon it. Get a bunch of cute Japanese schoolgirls to talk about the hobby in excruciating detail with fanservice inserted in between to keep the readers' attention.
>>
>>1475484
I actually got a Japanese friend of mine very into HEMA stuff (despite her hardly functional English skills). She's a big Touken Ranbu fan so sword stuff appeals. There is ddefinitely a market if you can keep it focused on the sword mystique.
>>
>>1475484
That manga I posted above seems to be about a harnischfechten club in a rich private school. The techniques shown aren't right, but the equipment is shown in detail. Second chapter has NSFW scene of putting on a gambeson before the armor, complete with all the strings to tie your armor on to. This manga might work out the same as Bakuon.
>>
>>1475398
Knight Jack
>>
>>1474914
Found the mangaka's source now, it's SCA.
There are some promotions on a page pointing to Avalon, which seems to be a Japanese group under SCA.
Bit disappointed, but that explains why the equipment is finely detailed but the fighting makes no sense.
>>
>>1475857
Found this online.
WMA in Japan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKTPbHV0lzY
>>
>>1475909
Looks silly but fun.
>>
>>1475969
They also do regular HEMA(I.33, Liechtenauer Longsword), but it doesn't seem to be the main draw.
It's not the same group as Avalon which is under SCA.
They seem to be a Japanese Armored Combat League.
>>
>>1468895
Roworth
>>
File: bushidoblade2-screen7.jpg (119KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
bushidoblade2-screen7.jpg
119KB, 1280x960px
>>1475484
Or you could Bushido Blade it and have the entire story set in Japan, but feature western weapons and styles.
>>
Anyone else at astolat? One of you bastards are here.
>>
File: ASP HEMA Anime.jpg (504KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ASP HEMA Anime.jpg
504KB, 1920x1080px
>>1475387
>>1475264
>>1475398
>>1475448
>>1475484

>In the Year 30k
>Neo-Tokyo
>One boy must travel to Neo-Dejima Quadrant
>And learn from ancient sword masters
>Resurrected by an evil techno-mancer
>Cursed to exist in loli form
>To free the city from the dominion of a dragon
>While explaining
>In unnecessary minute detail
>Every
>Single
>THING

Coming this summer...

[Your idea for a title here]
>>
>>1475398
>They fight, and when the hero is about to strike the finishing blow, the dragon wizard flings him into the future.
So Samurai Jack?
>>
>>1477692
>literally going to Astolat
That's worse than metaphorically going to Astolat!
>>
>>1478630
Why?
>>
>>1430349
does anyone have a site they use for manuals
>>
>>1480236
http://wiktenauer.com/
>>
>>1480239
No I remember someone posting another one that had a list of centuries, languages and weapons that you could choose from
>>
>>1480242
This?
http://www.middleages.hu/english/martialarts/treatise_database.php
>>
>>1474914
Do you have the name for the manga and is it translated somewhere?
>>
>>1480587
Shoujo Kishidan x Knight Tale

There's a thread on /u/ translating it.
You can find chapter 1's translation in text form.
>>>/u/2053454

http://comic-walker.com/contents/detail/KDCW_AM09000036010000_68/
>>
>>1477692
Spent the weekend there judging my black heart out. Good stuff!
>>
>>1477692
Hot as hell, but saw some good fighting!
>>
>>1478980
>Why?
Not Easton approved?
>>
>>1486615
Why not?
>>
>>1486751
From what I heard he and the guys who organized it don't go along well. Seems to be another example of the famous British HEMA infighting...
>>
>>1440310
Dry it off and take a pic
>captcha made me select all pancakes
>>
>>1486615
Mr. Easton approves LARP and thinks it's somehow useful for HEMA practitioners. I wouldn't take Matt's personal opinion seriously unless said opinion is based on historical sources.
>>
>>1489767
But Mr Easton exists in history, therefore his opinions are based on historical sources.
>>
>>1489767
>faggot on 4chan criticising LARP.
>>"Clearly larp is beneath me mom, now if you excuse me I've got to post of 4chin."

Alright pal. Maybe when you get off this chinese cartoons image board, set up 4 HEMA shools, teach three times a week, publish some books, run the biggest event in the UK, run a successful YouTube channel and win a bunch of gold medals around the world, we'll start taking YOUR opinion seriously.
>>
>>1493910
but HEMA is super serious! No larpers allowed!
REEEEEEE!
#HEMAmatters
>>
What do you guys think about the new neyman 5 fingered gloves?
>>
>>1494160
Nice, but not really an improvement.
>>
>>1493910
>Easton detected
>>
>>1493910
You forgot prolific SJW.
>>
>>1494934
What has Easton done to be called prolific SJW?
>>
>>1495344
not being a nigger
>>
Live in Australia and want to make stuff for the HEMA market.
What would you like to see made?
>>
>>1496787
Proper jackets
>>
>>1494208
Are they protective enough?
>>
>>1493910
If you are trying to pretend to be Matt, you should have known he doesn't use royal we.
>>
>>1496787
Throwing sticks and boomerangs, preferably made out of native woods.
>>
>>1494934
He supports a HEMA initiative called Fighters Against Racism and wore a shirt once, so the same faggot on this board has been calling him an SJW every time his name shows up for years now. I'm pretty sure Easton would re-colonise India if they let him.
>>
>>1475264
>a young NEET gets transported from Tokyo to Non-descript time period Europe
He'll be eaten alive in a matter of seconds.
>>1475484
Dunno, pseudo-european settings seem to hold some degree of popularity.
>>
Can you suggest me good I.33 instructors who put their knowledge online for free other the Roland&friends? I like his style but I'd like to hear other opinions too
>>
Anyone here actually use the Koning Gloves? Are they significantly better than the commonly used options? Are they at least enough of an improvement to justify the larger price tag?
>>
>>1500087
had a chance to wear them at Dijon. the range of movement and feeling on the blade is a lot better than sparring gloves, obviously. the felt heavier than my sparring gloves. unfortionately, i had no chance to try them in long sparrings, so i don't want to comment on it's protection value, but they felt quite compact and sturdy
>>
>>1500083
Guy Windsor has some stuff on I.33 online, but not much. Check his Youtube I guess, might be some on his school's wiki.
>>
>>1497008
>>1497164
AUSFAILIA BTFO
>>
>>1497296
Who wouldn't, to get access to some crazy awesome Indian swords .... suddenly without an owner.
>>
Anyone has that pic comparing HEMA guards and Koryu Kenjutsu guards?
>>
Took a lesson in small sword today.
Was surprisingly more fun than I expected.
Anyone got experience with them?
What are there major differences between styles?
>>
>>1502626
I gave your mum a lesson in long sword last night
She takes the stabs like a pro
>>
File: 1324124910921.jpg (1MB, 2500x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1324124910921.jpg
1MB, 2500x2500px
>>1502621
This one ? There's more to it than that though... Oh and lurk moar maybe ?
>>
>>1500161
Fought a local tournament in Axel's. Really nice mobility, not as protective as sparring gloves but all round coverage at that lighter level. A solid direct hit could break bones, but I've seen that happen even in SGs.

I ordered mine the next day.
>>
>>1502655
It's impolite to desecrate graves.
>>
>>1502664
This is great, but I remember seeing one with several guards with their correlating guards next to them. Sort of like this one but more organized.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnP7BC26UaA

Imagine this, for HEMA.
>>
>>1443438
Regenyei
>>
Started HEMA slack group, gauging interest. HEMAgeneral.slack.com, password is longsword
>>
>>1502940
Ok, I don't think I've seen it then, or I can't remember, if you aren't the same person anyway:
>>1502463
>>
Any good sites or videos to learn the basics of 'Langes Messer'?
>>
https://youtu.be/XNeE2GUs7Yk
>>
>>1503280
was for >>1503202
>>
>>1503280
That's actually really good.
Still
>Italians doing Lichtenauer
>>
>>1503202
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS2Ido1vO9M
http://www.historische-kampfkunst.de/index.php?mod=shop&op=view_article&article_id=105
>>
>>1503116
Shit, that's impressive.
>>
So is anyone at Longpoint this year? I figured I'd have seen something about it here, but maybe y'all are too busy breaking chandeliers to shitpost.

I've enjoyed it well enough; got my ass kicked in the pools, took a class from Easton (bit of a goofball, but actually a pretty good teacher), and finally got to spend some time golfing this year. Good stuff all around.
>>
>>1504966
Wanted to take that lesson but it clashed. Why is he a goofball?
Thread posts: 215
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.