[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 9

File: Screenshot_20170708-231316.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170708-231316.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
Hey /an/, /k/ here.

What is the ultimate apartment pet?
>affordable
>low maintenance
>clean
>not a cat or dog, love 'em but the fees here are crazy

A rat/mouse? Snek (ball python)? Fish?

Are there other fluffy mammals I could consider?

I appreciate the help

>pic related, love the high ceilings
>>
What do you value most in a pet? The ability to observe? Emotional bonding? (you've ruled out cats and dogs so this restricts you to rodents)
Pretty colors? Being able to interact with them safely? Give us some guidelines for your subjective as fuck query, OP.
>>
>>2426047
How expensive would a rat be? And how are they in terms of being trained, since they are pretty intelligent. I remember hearing they're pretty clean, right?

Thanks for the help btw

Sorry for the late reply, friend invited me to a theme park.
>>
>>2426047
I would want to interact safely, for sure

Though fish is my super-cheap back up plan
>>
I'd rule out fish due to expensive start up costs and potential for water damage. The most affordable and low maintenance will probably be some kind of invert.

>>2426724
They are clean but they smell, sort of musty. The males also drip urine. They are smart and can be trained to do some silly tricks. Only live like 5 years.
>>
>>2426730
So a female rat might now be bad?
>>
>>2426732
If you only get a single rat I recommend treating it like it's high maintenance. They're social creatures and smarter than you'd think. I recommend lots of bonding if you only get the one.
>>
>>2426735
I'm an introvert, so I spend a lot of time at my apartment (basically when not at work or the gym, which is 7am-6pm mon-fri)

Is that alright?
>>
File: 1489681137744.gif (2MB, 350x225px) Image search: [Google]
1489681137744.gif
2MB, 350x225px
Rabbit

>litter-trainable
>quiet
>come in small breeds
>barely any smell, at the worst, just a grassy smell
>can live ten years or more
>social as fuck

If you can deal with stray, dry poop pellets and have one litter-trained, it can be a full-time house rabbit. If not, they can still come out and play supervised while you're home. I've had rats, hamsters, and mice (not including hundreds of inverts and reptiles) and find rabbits to be the most rewarding and less depressing because of their long lifespan. They're intelligent and social in a prey animal way that takes getting used to, but it's some real shit when a little bun crawls into your lap, demands to be pet, then reciprocates with licks.
>>
>>2426761
Man that's convincing, thanks anon. I'm probably gonna go with a bunny, that sounds great.

Anything in particular I need to know beforehand? Breeds, gender differences, and what to get for it for maintenance and playing and such?

Thanks for all the advice
>>
>>2426748
Just go with the bunny
>>
File: 20170409_170438.jpg (2MB, 2880x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170409_170438.jpg
2MB, 2880x2160px
>>2426772
Netherland dwarfs are pretty small and have a ton of personality. They were crossbred with wild rabbits some decades ago and can be more energetic than some other domestic rabbit breeds, but nothing unmanageable. Holland Lops are another option. They seem a lot more chill and floppy. But really, breed is up to you. Probably avoid Flemish giants and angoras.

If you spay/neuter, there aren't many differences between male and female. Just make sure to do it. Females can get ovarian cancer if they're not spayed and can have bad attitudes.

Majority of their diet is gonna be timothy hay with pellets as a supplement. I'd stick with Oxbow brand; they have a more consistent product than Kaytee and others. I'd get a water fountain that circulates the water. I got one for my cats, but my rabbits seem to prefer it as well. Vegetables and fruits as rare treats. They'll play with whatever's on the ground. I gave mine some plastic block toys that they'll pick up and shake around. Anything new you bring in will be investigated. You can pick them up, but you should never force it or grab at them roughly. Sometimes it can take a while for a new rabbit to trust you enough for that, but I've never seen a rabbit say not to being pet on the head and ears.

And get good at cable management. Ziptie or arrange all your cables above the floor by any means necessary.

Litter training involves a big litter tray, CareFresh paper bedding or similar, and hay. They like to eat hay and pee at the same time. A suspended or standing hay dispenser can keep them from tracking too much hay out of the litter box. I'm still working on my setup. The House Rabbit Society website has a more in depth description of litter training.
>>
>>2426813
Thanks for all the info. I have a couple more questions if you don't mind:

1. Regarding breeds, what would be best for my situation? Considering I'm out of my apartment from 7am-6pm or so Monday through Friday, I imagine that wouldn't be fair to an energetic breed, so something more docile?

>Females can get ovarian cancer if they're not spayed and can have bad attitudes

Is that to say females in general can have bad attitudes, or you meant if they're not spayed?

3. What's a good place to buy one? I'm up in Northern Virginia by Dulles airport, if that makes any difference
>>
>>2426924
Not that guy, but if you're going to be out that much I'd say you'll need to block off a corner of a room for them to run around in. Just set up one of those pet fences, put their cage in it, and make sure they have enough room to hop around and play with toys. Cooping them up in a cage all day is cruel, unless you're going to get one of those huge multi-level ones maybe.
I think getting two and bonding them would be worthwhile in your case as well, so they don't get as bored or lonely while you're away. But I've only ever had one at a time, so take that with a grain of salt.
>>
File: IMG_20170709_184839.jpg (984KB, 3387x3619px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170709_184839.jpg
984KB, 3387x3619px
>>2426040
If you can afford the start-up costs of 1 fish tank a filter and (optional) 1 light.

>get an Axolotl
Their super chill creatures who enjoy worms, shrimp pellets, feeder fish, fingers.

They can become very social and excited to see you. Bigger tank = more room but even a small tank with coverage goes a long way.

Also their cool looking as hell.

The hardest part will be finding one in your area, but their pretty cheap for a long lived pet. Do a little research into them.
>>
>>2426940
Thanks for the advice anon, my living room has plenty of space for a bunny to run around, even fenced up.

>>2426943
Look cool as hell, but I'm leaning toward a fluffy bunny. Thanks though
>>
>>2426943
Might be worth mentioning that you're gonna need a water chiller if you live in a place with hot summers.
>>
>>2426924
>1. Regarding breeds, what would be best for my situation? Considering I'm out of my apartment from 7am-6pm or so Monday through Friday, I imagine that wouldn't be fair to an energetic breed, so something more docile?

If you're up for it, get two like other anon said. They can bond and keep themselves entertained well. I opted for a netherland dwarf and lionhead lop that do great together. If not, one rabbit can adjust to your schedule; give them a ton of toys and stuff to do and chew on though. My two rabbits normally sleep or lounge through most of the day. They're active in the morning and at night. It was the same situation with my previous rabbit who was alone. I have two cats, but they don't really interact with rabbits.

>Is that to say females in general can have bad attitudes, or you meant if they're not spayed?

If they're not spayed. Marking, dominance displays, lots of grunting and potential biting.

>3. What's a good place to buy one? I'm up in Northern Virginia by Dulles airport, if that makes any difference

See if there's any rabbit adoption groups that hold adoption days first or a local rabbit society whose members may be actively breeding. If not, you can consider craigslist and try to find a breeder through there. I haven't had much luck contacting breeders directly through their websites. Seems like their sites are mostly neglected.
>>
File: 20170628_014145.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170628_014145.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>2426948
Pic related. They're always bunched up together. Eat together, drink together, take naps together.
>>
>>2426947
That's not a problem, my apartment has good AC and with the windows covered it'd be fine.

>>2426948
I'd rather just have one to start with, and maybe a second one later. Any particular breed would be good alone through the day? (with toys and room to run around, I can fence my living room up)

>>2426949
2cute
>>
OP here, I'm off to bed but I'll do some research tomorrow in between stuff at work

Thanks for the help everyone, /an/ isn't my normal board but you guys are really nice and helpful, and I appreciate it
>>
>>2426946
No problem. I forgot to mention, but buy some digging boxes (I forget the actual name) and some foam mats to put down under the play area. It'll save your floor. An old rug could work nicely too, as long as you make sure it won't move around.

>>2426949
2qt
>>
>>2426924
I'm in Loudoun County too, anon. please adopt!!

https://www.loudoun.gov/index.aspx?NID=534
>>
>>2426953
>Any particular breed would be good alone through the day?

Can only really tell you from my experience, but my lionhead Holland lop mix is really good with just chilling and not getting into trouble. Lops in general look like they'd be good with just relaxing during the day.
>>
>>2426966
>>2426982
Thanks anons

>>2426971
Small world, thanks for the website
G-grill?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170710-074643.jpg (708KB, 807x3953px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170710-074643.jpg
708KB, 807x3953px
I found these in my area off of my county's website (sorry Loundon anon, I'm in Fairfax county)

Any recommendations?

1/3
>>
File: Screenshot_20170710-075938.jpg (122KB, 1080x747px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170710-075938.jpg
122KB, 1080x747px
>>2427211
Forgot link

http://www.petango.com/pet_search_results?speciesId=1003&breedId=undefined&location=20171&distance=10&gender=&size=&age=undefined&color=&goodWithDogs=&goodWithCats=&goodWithChildren=&mustHavePhoto=&mustHaveVideo=&declawed=&animalId=undefined

2/3
>>
File: Screenshot_20170710-075958.jpg (138KB, 1080x722px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170710-075958.jpg
138KB, 1080x722px
>>2427212
3/3
>>
File: Screenshot_20170710-081302.jpg (486KB, 810x2209px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170710-081302.jpg
486KB, 810x2209px
This guy seems a good fit, and getting along with dogs is a plus since my parents have a dog, and my sister/brother in law have two dogs.

What do you guys think?

http://www.petango.com/Adopt/Rabbit-31756383
>>
Dog was fine a few hours ago, then he went to lie down for a bit. Upon waking up, he seems to have a really bad limp where its his front left leg that's causing issues. Not sure what could have caused it as he was fine a few hours ago, even got up to greet me at the door
>>
>>2427300
Does he seem to be in pain? If not maybe he just slept on it funny? Old dog?

If he's in pain go to your vet
>>
>>2426040

Bees. Keep bees.
>>
>>2427211
Cute. Are they all at the same location?
Go check them out
I would really recommend getting two though.
>>
>>2427319
>nicholas cage meme.avi

>>2427327
I think they're all at my county's humane society

I really only want one for now, this will be my first pet since moving out of my parents and living on my own. I'll possibly get a second one later, though, just want to take this one step at a time.
>>
>>2427220
He's a nice looking dude, but at 7 years old and being a large rabbit, you'd potentially be facing elderly rabbit care soon. He could live into his teens, or he could become sick in months. I don't think it's a good idea to start off with a rabbit older than 3 or 4 years for you.

Keep in mind that smaller rabbits generally have a longer lifespan.

Here's one I found. 6 months, neutered:
http://www.petango.com/Adopt/Small-Furry-35678257
>>
>>2427706
Thanks
>>
>>2426040
>affordable

cat

>low maintenance

cat

>clean

cat

>not a cat

A goldfish is your best bet at companionship. Don't think for a minute your landlord will be okay with anything more exotic than that, or a hamster.
>>
Question: My cat bows her head when I go to pet her. My grandmother insists that she does that because she was abused before we got her. Is there any truth to my grandmother's theory or is it just the most asinine thing you've ever heard? We found the cat in a carrier on the street years ago, but she's currently the friendliest, sweetest and most affectionate cat you'll ever meet.
>>
>>2426772
dude you don't want a rabbit. they are adolescent girl pets. they are not good pets and they die extremely easily.

get a rat.
>>
>>2426040

OP i want you to read this post, this has been the rabbit owning experience for people i have known >>2429278

additionally do you like to get laid?
>bring girl over
>"check out my bunny"
>house smells like a barn
>>
>>2429605
>get a rat
>dies in a year
>good pet

Lots of fun watching those tumors grow, oh boy.
>>
>>2429684
maybe don't buy a line of rats that are prone to cancer

>buy a rabbit
>just randomly dies at any time because it's a solitary basal prey animal
>>
>>2429696
>rabbit
>solitary

What?

Yeah, there's a risk they'll die from disease like with any animal, more so if you don't get them fixed, but their average life expectancy is over eight years.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.