[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Found this outside, what species is it? How do I keep it alive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170613_232440.jpg (262KB, 864x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170613_232440.jpg
262KB, 864x1440px
Found this outside, what species is it? How do I keep it alive while getting proper material? It doesn't seem to eat the dead bug I dropped in his tank.
>>
>>2406276
I don't know what it is and I don't think keeping a wild lizard is a good idea, but still feed it live bugs, they need to be moving to appeal to it. Any pet store should sell crickets or other insects. You'll want tiny ones or even fruit flies since it's so small, ideally the size of the space between his eyes.
>>
Looks to be some species of gecko. It would help identification if you would post your location
>>
I live in France it's obviously not a wild lizard. What can I feed it while I go buy insects? There are only flies around and I doubt I can catch those fuckers alive.
>>
>>2406293
Reptiles, due to being cold blooded, don't need to be fed that often. Assuming you don't put it off for days and get there later today or sometime early tomorrow, it will be fine with no food until then. Just make sure it has a water dish, you might not see it using it, but best to have one.
Also, I think it's just a standard Mediterranean house gecko, which yes, France does have. It's not someone's escaped pet, anon, it does not need your care and you honestly should just release it.
>>
Looks like a Mediterranean house gecko to me, they are in fact native to France. Set him free, OP
>>
After a bit of google i've come to believe this is a mediterranean house gecko you found. I didn't proof read it, but i found a care article on them: http: // animals.mom.me/mediterranean-house-gecko-care-7719. html, it's pretty brief but i think it should give you an idea.
>>
>>2406293
>I live in France it's obviously not a wild lizard.
Yes it is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_house_gecko

Release it, it's not someones pet.

Also you have plenty of wild reptiles in France.
http://www.wildlifeinfrance.com/list-of-reptiles-in-france.html
>>
Damn I thought this was some tropical gecko or something. You sure this is a Mediterranean one? I live near Lyon which is very far away from the sea and I found this in a city, can it survive in a urban environment?
>>
>>2406319
Pretty sure, yeah. Their range is actually increasing more and more and they absolutely thrive in cities. Plenty of bugs to eat around streetlamps and such at night and lots of walls to climb and cracks to hide in.

Another species, the asian house gecko, is actually considered a pest where it has been introduced, because they do so well in cities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_house_gecko#Invasive_species
>>
>>2406321
Alright. At first I thought it'd be an albino lizard but I was surprised it's a gecko, even more surprised to know there are wild ones in my town.

Gotta say goodbye to the little one I guess.
>>
>>2406331
If they are around in your town they shouldn't be hard to find. Check walls with lights shining onto them at night, there should be geckos around.

If you want a pet gecko ask the /herp/ general for advice, they provide great help if you don't act retarded >>2405583
>>
>>2406331
If you have a light by your window that you regularly turn on at night, chances are it might stick around. Lots of fat house geckos around here.
>>
>>2406335
Thanks, I'll check it out. Having handled one I really feel like getting one. Well it spares me the unneeded effort for now since it wasn't really the right time for me but I'll consider getting one next month.

>>2406338
This is the first time I've seen one of those, I really only ever see the usual wall lizards.
>>
>>2406331
>>2406335

Yes hello /herp/ poster and gecko enthusiast here. Put gecker back outside. If you want a pet one you can obtain a captive bred gecko for minimal money. With captive bred you can do research on what would be the simplest to keep in your climate and select the appropriate. Like if you live in a dry arid climate, it's best to go with an arid climate gecko (leopard geckos and similar). Or live in humid climate, get tropical gecko that needs 50%+ humidity. It's when you attempt to keep a gecko in the opposite conditions of its requirements that lizard keeping can get, not hard necessarily, but finicky.
>>
>>2406276
i hate you idiots. see
>>2406314
>>
>>2406276
What is it with you people and your compulsion to keep every animal you find outside?
>>
>>2406681
Why the fuck did we domesticate animals? Its the same base instinct.
>>
>>2406293
It actually is a native species.
Release it, house geckos arent good pets.
>>
>>2406293
Looks like a gecko...probably some crickets or cockroaches would be good to feed it.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.