[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/herp/ - Reptile & Amphibian General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 84

File: snakegirllake.png (737KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
snakegirllake.png
737KB, 900x675px
Previous >>2394987

Guide to snek measurement the accurate (pretty close) way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-ewkrk6QM

Reptile classifieds for finding breeders of various scaled and sundry creatures

>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>Also check to see if there are any annual reptile shows/expos in your area as these are good places to find good animals from good breeders at partial discount

Discord link goes to #herp
>https://discord.gg/qehvjUk

/herp/ officially official all purpose care sheet of wonder and magic

>sand a shit
>use a thermostat
>read all the caresheets
>set up your tank before you get your herp
>regulate temps & humidity levels prior to herp arrival
>do not fuck with (handle) your herp for at least 7 days after bringing it home and ideally wait until herp has eaten at least one meal (for snakes), two meals for lizards, frogs, etc.
>PVC tanks are way better for most applications and worth the extra money
>it is best to avoid chain pet stores when looking to purchase live animals as mass breeder suppliers are not especially careful about health and sound genetics... it often saves you money long term to spend a little extra up front to get a healthy animal

>Jump Start (formerly Hydrofarm) thermostat is a good basic and inexpensive thermostat for regulating ceramic heat emitters and under tank heaters (Amazon sells it)
>if you want something more advanced for temperature control, look at Herpstat products
>>
>when the server finally works
good job op
>>
>>2405583
I can't stress enough how important it is to follow op's advice. My mother killed her two red eared slider turtles because she thought keeping them outside in direct sun was good for them. Because "I thought turtles were cold blooded". Please don't buy any animal unless you are fully aware of how to care for them. I warned her three times. And she just told me the same shit about how turtles live outside, I told her that her tank was not a fucking pond, but she didn't listen.
>>
Usual OP here: anon, did you just start a new thread so you could shoehorn in your discord link?
>>
>>2405660
I went into other older threads and put in stuff that people suggested in comments. I didn't realize bump limit was over 300, I thought 300 was the max. In the gens I frequent, it's just whoever happens to be around when the last one dies will copy/paste a new general. Didn't realize I was stepping on toes.

So what is the max bump limit? On slower boards it's 300 and faster boards it's 200, so what the fuck?
>>
>>2405673

it's 310
>>
I bought a spoiled juvenile crested gecko that is only used to be being hand fed and won't eat at all if not hand fed, I tried leaving it to eat on it's own for three weeks and it didn't shit at all, then I started hand feeding it and it ate happily
Should I let it get even more hungry before giving in?
All my other geckos kept in the same conditions eat just fine
>>
>>2405741
And any tips to get crested geckos who are only used to crickets to eat dubias?
>>
>>2405741
Try taking a feeding dish and putting it beside your hand when hand feeding. Next time put the spoon or your finger or whatever you are offering food to the gecko with directly in the feeding dish. Do that a couple times. Next time put hand near feeding dish but don't offer any food from your hand. And finally just put dish in for gecko to eat on its own. It should get the idea. I did a similar procedure once for a leopard gecko who refused to eat mealworms/superworms from a bowl.
>>
What's the best substrate for a few month old crested gecko? I've been keeping it on paper towel, but that looks so awful.
>>
>>2405792
Paper towel until the gecko weighs about 15 grams. Reason being is that hatchlings are much more vulnerable to substrate impaction than sub adults.
>>
I'm getting a bearded dragon tomorrow. Got my tank set up but the basking spot is about 95 and the cool side is around 80.

I think thats around the low end of acceptable for an adult, and this is a 10-12 inch juvenile. I'm planning on picking up another smaller light to bring the temps up 5-10 degrees. If its too much hotter i can increase the distance from the ground. Is this a good idea or am I overthinking it?
>>
Do plastic bins work as vivs for bearded dragons? Or do they get too >moist?
>>
>>2405820
No, sounds good. Just buy a regular incandescent for you secondary light. No need to buy pet store brand name bulb just for heat.
>>
>>2405824
Yeah can do that for hatchlings. Moisture buildup is a product of airflow. More ventilation, lower humidity. You will need to cobble together a screen top for it.
>>
>>2405824
sure
if its deep enough you can leave the top
if not I would reccomend drilling a lot of holes in the sides and cuting decent sized hoels and then using screen mesh on top
>>
My crested gecko still spooked of me and its been weeks. He backs up and moves the other way when I introduced my hand slowly for him to climb on. He's aware it's my hand and he doesn't wanna get on. Tho when he's on I can hand walk him. Will it ever get more relax when it grows older? It fires up everytime i try to handle it.
>>
>>2405813
I'm spooked about using that since mine took a bit off it twice. The other time was when it was in shed and thought the tissue was his skin.
>>
>>2405660
the discord link needs to be included

for the common good
>>
>>2406619
Paper towels are the ultimate sub for everything. No fear needed.
>>
Are Discord servers bad? Does herp need one?
>>
>>2407094
the discord server already has a herp channel
>>
>>2406923
>>2407094
>>2407104
Stop with the discord meme
It will kill the thread
>>
>>2405583
redpill me on chamelean care.
>>
>>2407260

Hard unless you live in a consistently high humidity climate. You need to use a screen cage because they need a lot of airflow. Their humidity requirements are high as mentioned. They are afraid of EVERYTHING and stress out ridiculously easily. Stressed out chams have a tendency to DIE without warning.

Back to the humidity/airflow problem, more airflow makes it very hard to maintain high humidity because conditions in the tank will settle out to the same as ambient in the room or a little below (because of the heat lamps) very quickly. This is as opposed to say, amphibians, where you can easily solve the humidity problem by reducing airflow through their tank as they do not require a great deal of it.
>>
>>2407297
Would keeping the terrarium in a sun room with live plants and heating rock (as opposed to heat lamps) curb the humidity loss? I've read that different species require different humidity levels.
>>
File: DayGecko.jpg (467KB, 1024x686px) Image search: [Google]
DayGecko.jpg
467KB, 1024x686px
>>2407313
Don't use a heat rock. Those things are dangerous and honestly i'm surprised they haven't been taken off the market at this point. The heat lamp doesn't matter too much if the humidity in your sun room is in the correct range for your cham species already.

Also note that chams will not drink standing water. They prefer to slurp from a dripper or lick the dew off the leaves in their terrarium. It is adviseable to have an automatic misting system fitted on your tank so you don't have to do that manually several times daily.

Generally I like to recommend day geckos (phelsuma) as a possible alternative to chameleons if it isn't practical for the prospective keeper. Day geckos are less work, less delicate, live much longer, just as beautiful as chams, and diurnal, so they share a lot of the same types of appeal.
>>
File: pecko.jpg (32KB, 445x615px) Image search: [Google]
pecko.jpg
32KB, 445x615px
>>2407094
Discord servers either end up killing generals from the inside or introduce a presence of shitposting that will never go away.
>>
>>2407483
Or you end up with one clique who organizes to shut down any discussion they dont like.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170615-085053.png (2MB, 1440x2960px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170615-085053.png
2MB, 1440x2960px
Hello /an/ meet my smiling boy iroh,got him yesterday, hes very friendly
>>
File: received_1359345970809892.jpg (57KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
received_1359345970809892.jpg
57KB, 640x1136px
>>2407616
Does the water bowl seem too thick for him to drink from? I'm thinking about replacing it with something shallow
>>
>>2407618
Nah, looks fine. Just don't fill it more than halfway.
>>
>>2407618
Dragons don't need a water bowl usually.
I'd just put it in for 10 minutes a to avoid it making it humid since they do drink water sometimes
>>
File: received_1359877437423412.jpg (100KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
received_1359877437423412.jpg
100KB, 1080x1920px
>>2407681
>>2407682
Thanks boys
>>
Can catnip harm snakes?
>>
>>2407682
>animals don't need water

Well fuck me.
>>
>>2408232
Bearded dragons get all their required moisture from their food.
Most reptiles are very hesitant about drinking water.
>>
>>2408235
nonsense
just keep the water in the cooler area of the tank and you'll be fine
my snake slurps down water all of the time
>>
>>2408296
Is your snake from a very arid region where access to standing water is almost non-existent?
>>
>>2408302
yes
>>
>>2408309
Then you have an oddball.
I've had snakes from tropical regions who absolutely refuse to touch water. For majority of reptiles their diet contains all the water they need.
>>
File: IMG_20170614_232212910.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170614_232212910.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2408310
>you have an oddball
as much as i'd like to prove you categorically wrong and say "neener neener" you're right
my sand boa likes to burrow during the day and climb and swim at night, frequently falling from high places only to climb poorly again
>>
>>2408310

Bearded dragons if they eat a decent amount of veggies and juicy bugs don't need water. However unlike the dryer Uromastyx having a small water bowl doesn't harm them. They actually do well with a small misting once a day.

Mine have it for if they bask to deeply and need a drink or sometimes they like to dip to regulate. But you don't need one as said, but it doesn't hurt. (I mean unless you have low airflow and your water is always under heat and evaporating.

A 40gal breeder with a screen top doesn't have issues with a water bowl and a misting once a day or every other day.

(Usually I do this to just make sure they stay hydrated since even with bee pollen my adults aren't big on greens except cilantro. It helps their sheds though and keeps a fluid with their fecals and urate easy to pass.)

tl;dr

Water bowls are fine. Some like to swim. A high humidity (drops of condensation everywhere) is bad.
>>
>>2408336
Thats why I suggested putting the bowl in for short amounts of time to give it the chance to drink if it wants to.
>>
Why isnt my beardie eating his greens? This nigger goes CRAZY for crickets but wont touch veggies. He sometimes lets me hand feed him but I don't want to create a bad habit. Wat do?
>>
File: IMG_20170615_180903_210.jpg (2MB, 2958x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170615_180903_210.jpg
2MB, 2958x1836px
>>2407616
Hello, Iroh. Meet your nephew, Zuko.
>>
File: donnarumma.jpg (46KB, 760x506px) Image search: [Google]
donnarumma.jpg
46KB, 760x506px
Can somebody identify this snake?
>>
>>2408751
brown recluse
>>
Do male leopard geckos change color at any point in relation to hormones/breeding age? Mine was very bright at 8 months old with fading bands but recently turned a dull brownish green with noticeable bands again. Temperature, diet, and handling hasn't changed. The only thing is that I believe my female is ovulating in the same room as him. His behavior has changed too; much more cautious and licking opposed to how carefree he seemed a month earlier. Previous sheds made him look a milky orange color not this shade of brown as well so I doubt it's that.

Any advice?
>>
daily reminder that under absolutely no circumstances should you feed a live mouse to your snake
https://youtu.be/0jDPM6HPYrw
>>
File: bikinii.png (988KB, 936x510px) Image search: [Google]
bikinii.png
988KB, 936x510px
>>2405583
>>
>>2408869

Hmm... still eating on same schedule i assume? Maybe post a picture. It isn't unusual for young leos to change appearance a bit between sheds but your description sounds like more than that.
>>
>>2409000
Not much of a snake guy, but when I find a live spider, cricket or worm I feed it to my salamander
>>
hey everyone, looking to get a reptile after taking some time off from pets. I've owned some exotic pets before (mainly different exotic mantids) but want something that will last a little bit longer and is a little bit more handle-able. what are some good species of reptiles that need smaller terrariums (limited on space)?
>>
>>2409143
How much work are you willing to put in?
>>
>>2409151
I'd put in a fair amount of work. When I took care of mantids I spent around an hour a day feeding, misting, checking temps, changing substrates, so I'd take a look at anything.
>>
>>2409153
And you want a reptile correct?
>>
>>2409160
Yeah, I was looking at amphibians too but I already posted in that general too.
>>
>>2409160
>"looking to get a reptile"
>"and you want a reptile correct?"
GEE I WONDER
>>
>>2409170
wow, i'm an idiot, this is the amphibian general. mainly looking for amphibians and reptiles other than snakes.
>>
>>2409174
Axolotls require little work
>>
>>2409179
funny, i actually used to be quite interested in them but never ended up looking into it more. as far as caresheets go, is this a good site to look to get more acquainted? http://www.axolotl.org/requirements.htm
>>
>>2409189
Yes, also caudata has a whole section on them.
>>
>>2409000
What about snakes who refuse prekilled?
Should they just die?
>>
>>2407420
Dank you Mang, Can I feed them gut loaded roaches? Day geckos look pretty :))
>>
>>2409214
Thanks! Do you know anywhere online to buy them? I see them on a couple websites but I'm not sure what's reliable.
>>
>>2409302
Caudata has a for sale sections, aquarius axolotls has a facebook page or check your local pet store that sells exotic pets.
>>
>>2409296
>Can I feed them gut loaded roaches?

Yes, day geckos eat a combination of live bugs and also a pre-mixed powder sort of similar (but not the same!) to crested gecko diet. Roaches are a suitable staple insect for them.
>>
File: received_1360998773977945.jpg (123KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
received_1360998773977945.jpg
123KB, 1080x1920px
>>2408420
Oh how nice, hellooo
>>
>>2409283
if the breeders raised them right, they will accept prekilled. otherwise, force-feeding might be necessary. it's worth it in the long run to reduce the overall chances of injury to your snake, and you do care about your snake, right anon?
>>
File: Snapchat-1746868114.jpg (1003KB, 1684x3264px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1746868114.jpg
1003KB, 1684x3264px
Is my beardie shedding or is this something I need to be concerned about, woke up this morning, turned the lights on and saw this
>>
File: 20170617_091152.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170617_091152.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
these might be clearer pictures, he seems to be doing alright, breathing well, but this is in his nose Im assuming it's shed skin but needed second opinions
>>
File: 20170617_092424.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170617_092424.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
He's also starting to shed so im not sure if these marks under his belly are because of that or if he's stressed, our cat does sit on a perch next to his tank and just watch him,she doesn't act aggressive but could this also be stressing him?
>>
I took the cat out of the room and his stress lines have disappeared so I've learnt what that means
>>
Can someone make a shopping list for a bearded dragon?
>>
>>2409719

Check a few care sheets but in general:

>40g breeder tank or larger
>uvb fixture and light
>basking bulb and dome fixture
>digital thermometer with probe
>timer for your lights
>ceramic or slate tile for substrate
>various rocks and wood pieces and other decor
>food dish and water dish (smooth ceramic or glass works best, easiest to clean)
>1 bottle Repashy Calcium Plus to dust feeder insects
>1 small bottle water conditioner to remove chlorine/chloramine from water (not critical)
>the stuff you need to keep and breed feeder insects

That's about it. Make 50/50 vinegar/water solution for glass cleaning.
>>
>>2409745
I use the non-scented magic erasers.
Those things are great for hard water and any other stain.
>>
>>2409283
With enough time and creativity, any snake can be switched. Took me 1.5 years to get my bp switched to f/t and he eats it like a champ since. Sometimes even the smallest most inconsequential thing you can think of can get them to switch, and unfortunately sometimes they do stay a little iffy for awhile after making the switch.

Get them from a breeder that doesn't start them on live in the first place, and you shouldn't have many problems. Even with you standing right there, your snake can be killed before you can even flinch if the angle of their strike is off or they don't coil right.
>>
Tell me about your lizards that are not bearded dragons and crested geckos.
I've been mulling around about them. I have experience with black and white tegus and green iguanas. I want a blue one and I really like them, have a room I can turn into an iguana pen and while I have the time and money for them, my experiences with iguanas made them hell lizards.
One was severely stunted and burned, possibly over a year old when I took him in from my aunt who had him in a ten gallon tank, no hide from his heat lamp, eating only crickets and being terrorized by children. Took four years for him not to immediately whip and bite me but aside from missing toes, half a tail and a slight kink in his spine he recovered alright. Had him for eight years until a herp friend took him in since my dad was making me get rid of him since he didn't like my underage self spending what money I made under the table on it.
Then had three more fostered temporarily for a few months under the condition it was just until they were healthy enough. Underweight and looked like shit, one was alright but the others were assholes. I'm long moved out now.

Thoughts? Females vs males? I've met some chill ass iguanas and I'd like to not be biased since they all came from extremely shitty backgrounds. Most times I was attacked they were obviously giving me signs to fuck off but I had to go in to clean up and whatnot.

I've never met any other iguana species so I'm not sure how they fair in comparison.
I can also build an outdoor enclosure for them the days are hot enough for one.
>>
>>2409873
All my snakes eat prekilled food but I know a lot of species that have trouble taking it.

>>2409625
Astronomically low chances if it's supervised.
My snakes all eat prekilled, but good luck getting a blood python to take it for its first meal.
It's for the best not to force feed them for the first few months of its life.
I don't think you understand what a snake is
>your snake can be killed before you can even flinch
Wrong
The risk is if it doesnt take the rodent and it gets chewed, or from an infection setting in if you're negligent to its health. There's no chance of instant death.

I do agree that every snake can and should be switched, but it's not realistic to assume they will all eat prekilled immediately and that they shouldnt eat at all otherwise.
>>
>>2409894
Your snake probably won't die before you react, but mouse/rat teeth are long and they have claws. This means bites or scratches before you can react, and leads to infection or blindness later. In extreme cases, death.
It's not realistic to assume they will all eat prekilled immediately, sure, and force feeding early on may be a bad idea. That sad, effort must be made to switch them to prekilled and this might involve force feeding at a later point.
>>
>>2409648
>>2409638
>>2409636
Literally just looks like shedding anon. Young beardies will be shedding more often than not their first 2 years. Make sure they have access to water and don't get dead skin caught twisted around theur toes.
>>
>>2408332
apparently climbing is pretty common for them. they are just curious
>>
>>2409006
I wonder how much bbc they've taken?
>>
>>2409100
the hypocrites don't care about invertebrates. the real thing to take away is to not leave live food for them without supervision. also to not get a ball python because all the ones in the trade are inbred and dumb
>>
My gila monsters https://youtu.be/jj_C7SFHnnw
>>
File: 20170528_193613_Burst01.jpg (2MB, 4190x1740px) Image search: [Google]
20170528_193613_Burst01.jpg
2MB, 4190x1740px
My male Gila
>>
I also have headed lizards...a male and female
https://youtu.be/D6BLRmDnKGU
>>
Beaded*
>>
>>2409100
>giving insects you know nothing about as feed
Enjoy your sick salamander
>>
File: 20170414_102852_HDR.jpg (3MB, 4656x3492px) Image search: [Google]
20170414_102852_HDR.jpg
3MB, 4656x3492px
My baby beadeds
>>
File: 20170414_102756_HDR.jpg (3MB, 4656x3492px) Image search: [Google]
20170414_102756_HDR.jpg
3MB, 4656x3492px
>>
>>2410227
Wont those things fuck you up with one bite?
>>
Mildy..more like extreme nausea and pain...no death really. But they cool . check out the vids. I handle them freely
>>
>>2410230
It would be irritating but its venom wouldn't kill an adult.
Nobody has been killed by a gila monster, except very young children before modern medicine existed.
>>
>>2408836
Just wanted to drop this by here in case one of you needs a new cage or something. There are some good sales on the kits as well.
Tomorrow's the last day.
>>
>>2410400
Wow, thanks! I'm having trouble finding kits on sale, but I'll keep looking!
>>
My juvenile crested gecko
>>
>>2410497
>>
>>2410498
I don't really know how people come up with the name but I guess it is a harlequin partial pine stripe that fires up to quite black
>>
File: Photo on 2017-06-18 at 5.49 AM.jpg (79KB, 550x629px) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 2017-06-18 at 5.49 AM.jpg
79KB, 550x629px
>>2410500
>>
Went to walk the yard today and saw a garter snake chilling out next to the raspberry bushes. Awesome critters.
>>
File: lizard.jpg (447KB, 1500x843px) Image search: [Google]
lizard.jpg
447KB, 1500x843px
>>2409879
I have a green iguana, picked him up at a repticon a few years back. He was a bit of a shit stain the first 3 weeks or so and he never really warmed up to me in the 3-4 years ive had him but he doesnt mind me at all. He stopped tailwhipping at 2 weeks and only ever bit me when he chomped too far on a butternut squash sliver i was handfeeding. He gets free run of the room all my herps are in that I keep at 80f. Warmish bathes 2-4 times a week mostly so he uses the bathroom. My iguana is a male and besides puffing up at my dogs is pretty chill. He'd still probably rather be left alone but he no longer tries to run from me when I pick him up, he instead knows the dance and situates himself either on my forearm or shoulders.
If you've browsed /herp/ enough you might have seen him before but I dont go overboard on posting pictures
>>
>>2410657
Props for taking care of that beast
>>
All Living Thingsâ„¢ is a shit brand. I just bought one of their programmable lighting timers. It has an outlet on both sides, so I thought I would be able to set one of them to turn on during the day and the other to turn on during the night. Nothing on the package indicated otherwise, though it didn't explicitly say that either.
Nope, it's a miniature power strip with a timer. I can't set one to turn on during the day and another to turn on during the night. Not only that, the instructions are garbage.
>>
>>2410820
Yeah for that type of thing you're better off going to a hardware store. They will have timers of all kinds and usually 1/4 the price too.
>>
>>2410825
>1/4 the price

150% The price in hometown hardware stores. For everything. But dirt and vegetables.

I'm 50 miles from the nearest black person, this type of shit happens.
>>
>>2410838
Weird. Where i live it's the pet stores that mark up like crazy while the hardware store is cheap.
>>
>>2410848
High number of black people = No demand for hardware equipment. None. Prices are lower to actually sell shit.

I'm being serious, not racist. Kind of.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (133KB, 1920x960px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
133KB, 1920x960px
Hey /herp/ so i recently was able to get this sweet 120 gallon tank off craigslist for free. dimensions are 48inL x 24inW x 24inH. My question to you guys is, do you feel a 10~ month old beardie or a 3~ year old brazilian rainbow boa would utilize this kind of space better? they're both currently in 40g breeders at the moment. I'd definitely like to turn it into an adult tank for one of them though, or if anyone has a better suggestion I'm open as well. to that. Thanks guys. Pic is the tank btw
>>
File: 20170528_193700.jpg (2MB, 3846x1861px) Image search: [Google]
20170528_193700.jpg
2MB, 3846x1861px
He's so chill
>>
File: 20170505_012232.jpg (1MB, 2647x1974px) Image search: [Google]
20170505_012232.jpg
1MB, 2647x1974px
Stanley the Savannah Monitor
>>
File: 20170428_201427.jpg (2MB, 2669x3169px) Image search: [Google]
20170428_201427.jpg
2MB, 2669x3169px
Mah Dude ...Mexican beaded Lizard
>>
File: 20170428_200446.jpg (1MB, 3525x1513px) Image search: [Google]
20170428_200446.jpg
1MB, 3525x1513px
>>
File: 20170301_142114_HDR.jpg (2MB, 3213x3002px) Image search: [Google]
20170301_142114_HDR.jpg
2MB, 3213x3002px
>>
File: 20161207_174237_HDR.jpg (652KB, 2585x1693px) Image search: [Google]
20161207_174237_HDR.jpg
652KB, 2585x1693px
My Argus Monitor...btw same person who's posted rhe sav, the gilas, the chameleon and Mexican Beaded lizards
>>
File: 20161110_103305.jpg (1MB, 3139x2359px) Image search: [Google]
20161110_103305.jpg
1MB, 3139x2359px
The Argus taking a bath/soak
>>
File: 20161025_172251.jpg (1007KB, 3289x2147px) Image search: [Google]
20161025_172251.jpg
1007KB, 3289x2147px
Baby fire spider
>>
File: 20170130_100618_HDR.jpg (658KB, 1772x1060px) Image search: [Google]
20170130_100618_HDR.jpg
658KB, 1772x1060px
Argentine Tegu Named Blue
>>
File: 20160918_164741.jpg (3MB, 3165x2216px) Image search: [Google]
20160918_164741.jpg
3MB, 3165x2216px
My big male Spir-thigh
>>
File: 20160902_192022.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160902_192022.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>
File: 20160830_202840.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160830_202840.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Black pastel Pied
>>
File: 20160810_143733.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160810_143733.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Female Leachie
>>
File: 20160725_150732.jpg (1MB, 4286x1419px) Image search: [Google]
20160725_150732.jpg
1MB, 4286x1419px
Blue
>>
File: Salamander.jpg (275KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Salamander.jpg
275KB, 720x1280px
>>
>>2411002

I'd say the boa is due for a size upgrade first.
>>
File: IMG_20170618_173705667.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170618_173705667.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
i need some advice. i found this lost leopard gecko in my driveway today

hard to imagine how it got here. there's forest and brush on either side of my house, and neither of my neighbors seem like they'd keep reptiles. nearest house is like 75 feet away. i'm in connecticut and we've had chilly weather and some heavy rain recently, too. are these guys hearty enough to survive around here for a while and travel long distances? it seems healthy, no wounds, responsive.

i have it in a covered dishpan with airholes. i gave it some water in a lid, mealworms in another, and a couple crickets. it ate a cricket immediately and has been trying to catch the others. checked out the mealworms but hasn't eaten one.

is it going to be okay for a day or two while i try to find the owner? what's the minimum i should provide to keep it healthy for the time being? do i need to buy the heat mat and everything right away?

i'm open to the idea of keeping it if no one claims it but i had no plans to bring a pet into my life right now so i'm hesitating to go all-out, just don't want to kill it while i figure out what to do. i've been reading about caring for them so i know the basics but i have little experience with reptiles.
>>
>>2411315
depends on ambient room temp mostly. it'll be fine in the 70-80 range for a couple days as long as it has food and water
>>
>>2410820
I don't know why you would have assumed it would have that feature if it didn't say anything. PetSmart carries a ZooMed timer that does just that, but that's the only small one I know of.
>>
>>2411002
It's a bit much for either of them, honestly.
>>
>>2411315
>Found a healthy leopard gecko in a driveway in Connecticut
What in the hell
You seem to be doing fine. like >>2411320 said, temperature is the biggest thing you should worry about.
Let us know how it all works out
>>
>>2411397
Not him but the northeast is surprisingly hot right now.
>>
>>2411375
yeah i kinda feel the same way but it was a free tank and i really don't know what to do with it. I just know i want to do -something-, hah.
>>
>>2411418
It's a good excuse to get something larger that you normally couldnt.
Personally, I'd get a boa constrictor and go crazy with live plants and a water feature. It would love that space and that height too.
>>
File: Ambystoma mackie.jpg (69KB, 528x720px) Image search: [Google]
Ambystoma mackie.jpg
69KB, 528x720px
Rate my Ambystoma macrodactylum juvie
>>
>>2411315
Two pieces of advice to keep a leo alive.

1. No sand in the habitat. Not even "calci-sand".

2. If you feed them crickets, don't leave strays. Stray crickets will eat lizards alive. Wounds invariably get sepsis and the lizard dies. I learned this the hard way.
>>
File: IMG_0076.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0076.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Forgive the phone posting. Figured I'd drop some pics of my lil'uns. We'd start things off with my baby boy, Remi
>>
File: IMG_0162.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0162.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2411646
It seems as though the photos are yet again going to be popping up at weird angles. Joy. Moving on to Zira, Remi's future bride to be.
>>
File: IMG_0201.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0201.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2411646
>>2411651
Caught my little STP moving around some nights back. Always a treat to catch her in the act since she does it so rarely on her own.
>>
File: IMG_0165.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0165.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2411662
The one who started it all, my little rosy boy Seraphim. Long may he reign.
>>
File: IMG_0147.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0147.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2411665
My IJ boy Graham whom I'm still considering breeding to Zira as well once she gets older. Still debating whether or not I want to keep her jungle line pure
>>
File: IMG_0211.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0211.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>2411672
Valentine; lover of women, slayer of already dead rats, and tryer of my patience. I've never met a snake so deadset on escaping his enclosure. Hopefully after I finish building his final one he'll enjoy the leg room enough to want to relax.
>>
Quality group of sneks, anon.
>>
>>2411651
This happens when I phonepost too. I solve this issue by editing/rotating the photo 90 degrees, saving it, and then editing it again and rotating it back. It seems to post normally after that.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
I startled a froggo on my hike, but he was nice enough to hold still afterwards so I could snap a photo.
>>
>>2411972
that's a toad you degenerate
>>
>>2411997
toado just doesnt sound the same.
>>
>>2411967
Will keep that in mind. Thanks for the tip.
>>2411962
Thanks m8.
>>
File: 1482851844320.jpg (448KB, 2448x1396px) Image search: [Google]
1482851844320.jpg
448KB, 2448x1396px
>>2405583

Man, my 3 year old male crested gecko bit me yesterday. Charged the glass as soon as I opened it and made a move for my hand as I was lifting the lid on the egg box. First time that ever happened. It felt like super-rapid chewing by sandpaper, not just a single snap. About 15 minutes later, I saw him sexing up his girlfriend. I figure he was pissed off that I was cockblocking him when I was tending to the eggs that resulted from his last wild night of bad decisions. Fucking geckos.
>>
>>2412009
*toader
>>
File: ncgtoadline.jpg (166KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
ncgtoadline.jpg
166KB, 960x540px
>>2412224
*toadagi
>>
>>2411202
>spider
Please don't breed it
>>
So my Igg got some scale rot about 1year ago. Do the scales ever recover?
>>
File: 52526547457.jpg (32KB, 600x496px) Image search: [Google]
52526547457.jpg
32KB, 600x496px
Are Dubia Roaches the new crickets? Are there any main down sides to them? I've heard they've caused gout in Leopard Geckos but that's the worst I've heard so far. If that's all there is then I may breed my own.
>>
>>2412442
Yes. They have better nutritional profile as well. Proper gutloading and dusting with a calcium based multivitamin powder required. Also they smell better and don't chirp.
>>
Hey, /herp, looking to buy my first ball python. I will be a first time snake owner, but i have owned geckos before. I need a tutorial on proper living conditions, food, maintenance and handling.
>>
I have a new 20 gallon aquarium. What's a good starter reptile for a novice owner for that sized space?
>>
File: 20170620_144657.jpg (1MB, 2880x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170620_144657.jpg
1MB, 2880x2160px
Phoneposter and beginner snake owner here looking for advice.
I've had my corn snake for almost 2 months and have notices black spots on the belly starting from about 2/3 down to his tail. I'm wondering if this is scale rot or just a pattern
>>
>>2412639
have you been feeding your cornsnake corn like you should? there's a reason they're called cornsnakes
>>
>>2412639
if you dont know what it is
g o t o t h e v e t
o

t
o

t
h
e

v
e
t
>>
>>2412611
>google ball python care sheet
>read some of them
>???
>profit
>>
>>2412639

That is not pattern coming in. Take to vet. Change substrate to toilet towel for the time being.
>>
>>2412933

oh ffs, that came out wrong. PAPER towel substrate.
>>
File: IMG_20170619_145825106~2.jpg (1MB, 2359x4193px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170619_145825106~2.jpg
1MB, 2359x4193px
Got me some snek yesterday. He's a cutie.
>>
>>2412963
>>2412967
>>2412974

So this frog snuck into my aquarium. I can only assume he did so because summer just hit hard here, and literally went from 65 F to 97 F in two days.

How can I make his summer stay with my fish more comfortable? Also, what gourmet foods does my new guest prefer to eat?

Will Can'O'Cricket suffice?

(naw but seriously, I don't know what to feed him. I don't have a pet shop near me, and can't keep any bugs alive if I order some.)
>>
>>2412978
get him some more stuff to sit on, he probably won't spend a whole lot of time actually in the water but wants to be near it
feeding him might be tricky since he's wild and probably only accustomed to his food running away
if you can get fresh/clean earthworms he'd probably enjoy those, and I bet your fish would too
>>
>>2413002
I was thinking about trying to put him back outside, but this has happened before with frogs in a different house, and they kept coming into the shower even after I put them out. I feel like he will just sneak back in for the water.

Anything I could put outside for him, maybe?
>>
>>2413021
if you can provide some kind of area thats moist, dark, and shaded, they'll probably stay there
>>
>>2413034
Mmm. I have a kitty pool I'm trying to grow some strawberries in. I'll toss some rocks in and try to make a cave.

Thanks anon.
>>
What species of monitor lizards like to swim a lot?
I've seen plenty of V.melinus videos on youtube and not much else but there has to be more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TF4TpgaBxHI
>>
File: 14467159111_825826a00e_b.jpg (238KB, 950x633px) Image search: [Google]
14467159111_825826a00e_b.jpg
238KB, 950x633px
>>2413144
Anything from the indicus complex, V. salvator, V. mertensi, V. niloticus
>>
>>2413145
Thanks. Any other complex? What about tree monitors? From what I read they need 80-100% humidity so theoretically they would be good swimmers as well.
>>
hey /herp/ few questions for you. i've had cats and dogs in the past as pets, but looking to get something in need of less care. i'm about to move out from my parents and start working nights, so would getting a snake be a good option for me? how expensive is it typically to own and snake (at least in comparison to a dog or a cat, and how potentially harmful could it be?

ty
>>
>>2413154
the upkeep is much cheaper. startup cost depends on how much you care about aesthetics. if you just want it to be dirt cheap you can buy a big plastic tub, use newspaper/ wood shavings as bedding and cardboard boxes as hides.
>>
>>2413158
that's good to know, what sort of breed of snake should i get? i live in central texas if that is important
>>
>>2413161
the most common species are corn snakes and ball pythons by far. other options are king snakes, garter snakes, rosy boas and hognoses, just to name a few.
>>
File: 1469020566450.jpg (9KB, 243x207px) Image search: [Google]
1469020566450.jpg
9KB, 243x207px
>>2413163
thanks friend
>>
>>2413161
>breed
species, in this case

also do your research before getting one, cross check different sources, don't just rely on a single one

and don't expect any sort of affection or interaction

you can handle the snake but the reaction will be somewhere between fear, dislike and indifference at best, they are pets you watch and not to play with, if you want that reptiles are not the pets you want

just giving you this heads up in case you expected anything else
>>
>>2413181
of course, i expect/want nothing less. just going for some general info, thank you though
>>
>>2413149
Just about all of 'em can swim if need be, but I wouldn't count on a tree monitor wanting to do so. They come from regions were it rains a few centimeters or inches just about every day, hence the high humidity.
>>
from leddit
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUahMBzm_DM

Nice to see things being caught before its in the "oh shit" range
>>
>>2413788
Thas cool. Now stop fucking with mother nature and let them evolve immunity on their own.
>>
File: IMAG0029.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0029.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2405583
I asked a bit earlier, but it might have gotten skipped.

I was looking to buy a baby blue tongue skink, but I want to find a good breeder. I'm looking on kingsnake.com, but I never been on there before. Any good names I could look for specifically? Pic not related obviously
>>
>>2413816
crosscheck any names you find with fauna classified's board of inquiry

alternatively wait for a reptile show near you, and you can go see the animals in person
>>
Why do I find it so hard to name female herps, specifically a bearded dragon, I have multiple names for a male and nothing for a female
>>
>>2413867
I have terrible naming skills period anon, it sucks.
All of my animals have been named by someone else after they got annoyed at me for calling it the X.
the dog, the carpet python, the iguana, the ball python

Now i have a ginger derpy iggy and boople and still refer to them as the X to everyone but the person who named it and anyone who has found out the names through the grapevine
>>
File: 1497300491686.png (295KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1497300491686.png
295KB, 600x600px
>>2413867
>naming herps
>>
File: smug9.jpg (17KB, 240x260px) Image search: [Google]
smug9.jpg
17KB, 240x260px
>>2413902
>he doesn't name his pets
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYGASyRMcb4
i hope u dont like mice
>>
File: 1497784781903.jpg (99KB, 703x516px) Image search: [Google]
1497784781903.jpg
99KB, 703x516px
>>2414189
>naming a pet that doesn't even recognize its name
>>
My huge fucking leopard gecko, Snake.
>>
>>2407484
Or a bunch of name fags invading over here.
>>
>>2414299
Do you throw a fit about anyone with an untrained dog that has a name?
>>
File: snek.webm (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
snek.webm
2MB, 1920x1080px
hey /herp/ i was out exploring the other day outside my neighborhood and spotted these sneks in the rocks in a canal, to me, they look like water snakes and not cottonmouths. Keep in mind however im in south texas so i am in cottonmouth territory. What do you guys think it is? Sorry for the upside down webm i dont know how to rotate it with the program i downloaded
>>
>>2414548
i don't really see a discernible neck but i'm no expert
>>
>>2414548
Diamondback watersnake.
It's not dangerous.
>>
>>2414558
are you sure? it's got a bit of a slimness behind it's head
>>
File: 1496692998577.jpg (411KB, 1920x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1496692998577.jpg
411KB, 1920x1920px
My leopard gecko that I got at a reptile expo on May 21st has only eaten 5 mealworms since I got him, but he seems healthy and his tail is decently fat. Is this normal? They told me at the expo that he would be eating a lot more than this.
>>
File: diamondback2.jpg (56KB, 396x297px) Image search: [Google]
diamondback2.jpg
56KB, 396x297px
>>2414565
It's supposed to.
This is a photo of one from a website about identifying snakes in Texas.
>>
>>2414569
double check temperatures. Try other insects like dubia roaches, superworms, or crickets. Leos can be fussy about their food and will eat bare minimum if they don't like the menu selection offered.

Also some just go off food periodically for no discernible reason. Monitor weight with a gram scale, if they're not losing more than say 10% you're fine.
>>
>>2414600
I tried dubias at first but they would hide under his rocks before he would get interested in them. I can't seem to keep his temp stable, as it dips to room temp as soon as I turn off the lamp, but more than an hour with the "night time" bulb turns it above 95.
>>
>>2414603
Get a heat mat. Lamps a shit
>>
File: 1498195547020765875440.jpg (806KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1498195547020765875440.jpg
806KB, 2560x1440px
>>2414606
>accidentally touch sticky side to paper
>ruin mat that came with tank
T-thanks

He just ate the 4 mealworms I put in his tank and he looks like this right now. Does he need to eat more?
>>
>>2414611
Just use some duct tape to stick it there.
I hope that isnt sand.
>>
>>2414613
I keep calcium in a confined bowl. I have only seen him eat calcium and never sand. It came with the tank and I was told it was acceptable.
>>
>>2414616
Get rid of the sand.
It's not acceptable.
>>
>>2414629
Shiet, i'm leaving for a trip tommorow. Nothing bad has happened so far. I know the threat of impaction, what should I use? He kept moving the newspaper I put in there.
>>
Is 82F to 72F too cold for a leopard gecko tank? I have an UTH already and was considering a lamp.
>>
>>2414633
paper towels or newspaper temporarily
go to like home depot or something and get some tile or hell even regular rock just so long as you wash it bake/boil it and he cant fit them in his mouth
>>
Hey, /herp/ I'm looking to have a terrarium with mixed species If there is anything that will get along with other species and need the same temperature would be appreciated. I have a terrarium of two bearded dragons and a sepate sahel chameleon
>>
>>2414651
just don't
>>
>>2414651
that's stupid. don't do it.
>>
>>2414636
yes it's too cold. haven't you read any care articles? jesus man, it's all on the internet. you should know if it's too warm or too cold for it.

They're supposed to have a warm area where the temperature gets up to 33,5F, but not higher than 95F because that will stress the lizard out. Cool area should be around 75-77F.
>>
>>2414682
I meant a warm/basking/ area where it gets up to 93F, not 33F
>>
Can someone explain snake genetics to me? Like alino het, double het, etc. I assume het means it's just a gene they're carrying. Does a snake having that morph mean it's carrying it or not? I was looking at snow hognoses and some we're list listed as snow but others as snow het(and were much more expensive).
>>
File: smoll snek.png (941KB, 1098x479px) Image search: [Google]
smoll snek.png
941KB, 1098x479px
breaking news: small snek not so small after two years of eating her mouses

I love my lil boa
>>
>>2414684
a hog that is homozygous for the snow gene will express it, making it a snow morph
het means heterozygous, carries the gene but does not express it
if you breed it to another hog that is het for snow you'll get some snow babies

so as far as price goes
snow +het for something else > snow > normal but het for snow
>>
How would I go about using both a heat cable and a heat mat in the same area? Should I put the cable under repti carpet?
>>
>>2414651
Herps aren't like fish where you can have a community of different species at once. The only ones that can be housed multiple are some species like anoles with other anoles or turtles with different or similar species of turtles and even then both require much much larger spaces and still have the chance of fighting each other
>>
>>2414690
i dislike snakes but this one looks cool and i could even keep one like this as a pet but i have never seen such snakes as pets in poland where i live
>>
>>2414783
she's a kenyan sand boa they are fairly common in the pet trade, and very low upkeep

you may be able to order one, I don't know how viable that is though
>>
>>2414651
No. The only way you can safely get away with multi-species habitats is with very large zoo tier enclosures. It isn't feasible in a small home environment with standard tanks.
>>
>>2414768
Heat cable goes underneath the tank, same as under tank heater. There should never be heating devices in the tank that the herp can touch directly (the packaging on zoo med's heat cable is dead wrong about this). If you need supplementary heat use a ceramic heat emitter on the screen top.
>>
File: 20170623_012236.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
20170623_012236.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
My rat snake is growing reeeally fast. 3 months ago he was about 160g and he is now well over 550g.

These 2 sheds are only 2 months apart. The longest one is 4 feet so i guess he took about 3-4 inches in a month and a half!

What's the fastest you've seen a snake grow?
>>
>>2409179
>>2409189
>>2409214
Axolotls are kind of difficult and they'll eat their substrate. You can't just toss them in a normal, traditional fish tank and expect them to flourish. I would recommend aquatic frogs or tiger salamanders (their larval form looks just like an axolotl and their neotenic so many stay in the aquatic form.
But hey, they're really cute so go for it and update us man
>>
File: IMG_2684.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2684.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2414890
I feed my snakes conservatively, so they don't tend to grow very fast, but the fastest I've had a snake grow was my retic. She grew 1.5' after just 2 meals, over the course of about 3 weeks or so. Went from 4.5' to 6', she's currently about 8'-9'. The second fastest was my first boa was growing 2"-3" every other week, went from 2'7" at a year old to 5'2" at 2 years. I feed my boas a lot differently now.
>>
File: sobocourtimbsloco.jpg (160KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
sobocourtimbsloco.jpg
160KB, 900x600px
>Live in warm valley in CA
>These things are covering my backyard and property by the dozen

I like them quite a bit, but whenever I leave the door cracked to get a breeze in the room, I end up finding them everywhere.

Hell, I had one of them climb up on my desk, look at me, then bolt out the door. The one time I caught one rooting around my hamper, he just let me pick him up and put him back outside.

I will say he did look a bit perturbed, though. Like I rained on his parade or something.
>>
>>2415074

Neat. I'm jealous of people who live in climates suitable for wild herps. Here in western Canada there are a few native species of snakes and frogs but I never see them.
>>
>>2415074
damn dude i wish all my sceloporous were that fearless
they haven't been that way since we got a cat and it sucks
but also pretty cool seeing natural selection in action
>get cat
>lizard population tanks
>survivors are skittish and prefer to stay in trees
>cat is old and fat now
>starting to see more lizards again
>>
>>2415074
I've only seen a skink once and some fence lizards here on the east coast. Plenty of garter snakes though.

In my walks I've been looking for a timber rattler but they're endangered here and as far as I know only live in one particular town. In NJ there is suppose to be a bunch but I've never seen them, nor had one of the few park rangers I've talked too.
>>
>>2413902
It's a part of how humans familiarize and bond with things you autist. The reptile's acknowledgement or lack thereof is a nonfactor.
>>
>>2415134
Look mom, another person uninformed about autism that thinks everything he doesn't like is autism.

How do we deal with this plague, mom?

"Hide his post, honey."
>>
File: you kill yourself.jpg (73KB, 480x717px) Image search: [Google]
you kill yourself.jpg
73KB, 480x717px
>>2415136
I also named my bike, and the cast iron cat I have on my shelf.
>>
>>2414690
how often do you feed her
>>
Posted this is the last thread but anyone else going to the reptile expo in Manchester New England Sunday?

Its my first expo so I'm pretty hyped. Do vendors normally take cards or should I just withdrawal all my money?

The at least one of the snakes I'm looking for in particular are native to my area so I'm also wondering about heating. The room I planned to keep them in is on average 70-90+ degrees in the summer so would it be safe to keep their heating off as long as the temp is in their recommended range?
>>
File: IMG_0117.jpg (136KB, 558x340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0117.jpg
136KB, 558x340px
>>2415136
>being autistic enough to RP with himself to tell me how I'm wrong
>jumping up and down about a word that's casually thrown around on here almost as much as nigger
I mean hey, whatever provides your aquatic vessel with floatation amigo. won't change the fact that autistic behavior gets you called an autist.
>>
>>2415274
It's easy to break global rule 3 here isn't it?
>>
>>2415276
Insanely so.
>>
>>2415266
>Posted this is the last thread but anyone else going to the reptile expo in Manchester New England Sunday?
Probably not

>Do vendors normally take cards or should I just withdrawal all my money?
Withdraw what you're willing to spend and leave the card at home or you will spend more than you planned to.

>The at least one of the snakes I'm looking for in particular are native to my area so I'm also wondering about heating.
What species is it?
>>
>>2415291
Eastern hognose.
>>
>>2415302
How elaborate are you willing to make the enclosure?
>>
File: Adorably_deadly.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
Adorably_deadly.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Anybody raise newts/salamanders?
Anybody have questions about them, or Axolotls?
>>
Does anyone know why I see tons of dead frogs out on the road, usually after it rains? I'm pretty sure they get run over by cars but I don't know why they're out there en masse in the first place.
>>
>>2414548
fucking australian cameras
>>
>>2415358
Roads retain a lot of heat.
>>
>>2410217
Hope this is a troll. Gilas are illegal to own
>>
>>2415637
He could have a permit and it could be captive bred.
>>
>>2411967
If you're using an iPhone, always tilt the home button or equivalent on another phone- to the right when taking a picture.
>>
File: ceratosaurus.png (1MB, 2800x1172px) Image search: [Google]
ceratosaurus.png
1MB, 2800x1172px
>>2413553
That's creepy but really cool. Reddit does a lot with the dried/desiccated reptiles on their r/herpetology I've noticed
>>
Thanks anon...yes they are both captive bred and I do have permits. Someone doesn't know the legalities of owning them...
>>
>>2415326
If I have too, I'll do it. I'd prefer to use a tank but I'm savvy enough to actually build an enclosure.
Temp just worries me so I am not sure if I should chose a different room for it and just control the temp myself rather than mostly relying on native weather/hot as balls room(except maybe for winter unless it'd be better for them to go into brumation as they would in the wild).
>>
>>2416028
Keep the room a consistent temperature and give it a heat mat on a thermostat.
You can use paper towels as a substrate but make sure you buy the thermostat to avoid burning your snake.
The natural heat is fine until you realize that in the wild snakes can avoid excessive heat, but cant in captivity.
>>
Im colorblind but recently noticed a change in my carpet pythons eye color that my gf confirms
They were really bright silver for the longest time but now they are a darkish brown
I liked the way they looked and am ok with the change but I cant find anything about eye color change in snakes beyond normal shedding changes.
Could it be that he doesnt get alot of natural/unfiltered light or is it normal?
>>
My racist female pastel ball python refuses to eat white mice. wtf is up with that?
>>
i found a snek in my backyard. i think its a redbelly black but i cant see a red belly. any snake-molesters here can identify it? padstow, sydney NSW. i have a cat and my cat ran up and scared it away but its come back every day
>>
File: 330169753_0b1819628c_z.jpg (80KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
330169753_0b1819628c_z.jpg
80KB, 500x275px
If I want to make a vivarium, would it be better if I got a leopard gecko or an african fat-tailed?
>>
File: 1498395118181[1].webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1498395118181[1].webm
3MB, 800x450px
Damn sneks
>>
>>2416239
Leopard if you prefer desert types, fat tailed if you prefer tropical. IMO tropical enclosures can be made more aesthetically appealing a bit easier if you don't know how to make the accessories yourself.
>>
>>2416102
BP's are picky.
>>
>>2416239
AFT is a better choice for live planted viv. Their higher humidity requirement goes hand in hand with the plants and substrate you will use.
>>
File: 20170625_113651.jpg (3MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170625_113651.jpg
3MB, 2576x1932px
What morph would you call this ball python aside from albino? He was sold to me as a sunburst/starburst(forgot which one) and '66% het snow' but I'm not finding snakes that look like him when searching for sunburst/starburst.
Not the best of pictures but he has some nice orange splotches on his tail.

I have him in a 20 gallon since I didn't expect to get an adult but it looks way too small for him. I haven't been able to measure him since he is stressed from the travel but he was born in 2014.
At the same time, I'm reading that ball pythons prefer smaller spaces and a 20/30 gallon is fine with them. There's a 46 gallon bow front up on craigslist for $25, would that be too big for him or could I get away with it if I deck it out with fake plants, hides and branches?
>>
File: 20170625_113742.jpg (2MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170625_113742.jpg
2MB, 2576x1932px
>>2416355
>>
File: 20170625_114901.jpg (2MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170625_114901.jpg
2MB, 2576x1932px
>>2416355
>>2416356
Also picked up this little guy.
>>
>>2416355
>>2416356
uuuh
thats not a ball python, thats a boa
>20gal
waaaay too small
>no hides, no heat, no water
shit son what are you doing

buy that 46 asap and put the hognose in the 20

it looks to me that you just bought two animals without any forethought or preparation beforehand
>>
>>2416410
scratch that, are you aware you actually bought a reticulated python?
a snake that will reach at least 10 feet in length?
>>
>>2416414
Oh shit finally some entertainment on /an/.
Waiting to see how this plays out. Inb4 $7-800 a month feeding costs.
>>
>>2416433
nah i dont think it costs that much for even a snake that big
but the cost of an enclosure is going to be a lot
>>
>>2416414
>>2416433
>>2416452
Shit, I got way misinformed. I have been away from snakes for over a decade, but I'm still an idiot for not realizing that. I thought his head looked weird for a ball.

Alright, I'm not worried and then it's time to prepare then. I've built enclosures for tegus and monitors so at worst it's going to make sure it's sturdy enough if I just don't buy an enclosure.
>>
>>2416461
Or I can just trade him in for something else.
>>
>>2405742
If the gecko also eats a fruit paste (like repashy/pangea/etc), coat the dubia in the fruit paste
>>
>>2416414
That's a boa constrictor, not a reticulated python
>>
>>2416461
What the hell? Who sold you this snek claiming it was a BP?
>>
>>2416461
Scratch that, I'm pretty sure he's a redtail after comparing. All is good, I can handle a boa just fine. I'm pretty stoked now.
>>
File: 20170625_173025.jpg (2MB, 1761x2349px) Image search: [Google]
20170625_173025.jpg
2MB, 1761x2349px
Look at her.
>>
File: IMG_3176.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3176.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2416355
That's a boa constrictor. Without better photos to show its pattern, it's likely just a regular albino, het snow means it's het anery.

Expect a 4'x2' enclosure for a small adult and 6'x2' for a larger adult. It could get anywhere from 5'-8' as an adult on average. At his size, if he hasn't been power fed he's probably only 2-3 years old, which means he has another 3-4+ years to get big.

>>2416452
It doesn't. I have 12 snakes, 6 of which are boa constrictors, and I don't even spend that in a YEAR feeding them all.

Pic related is my albino boa, but she also has the hypo gene so she's a sunglow, 66% poss het snow.
>>
>>2416515
>>2416461
>>2416433
>>2416414
>>2416410
>>2416356
>>2416355
He should be glad. Boas are much better to keep than ball pythons.
>>
>>2416221
>i think its a redbelly black but i cant see a red belly
Remember that some redbelly blacks don't have the red belly so keep your distance just to be safe.
>>
>>2416519
She looks like a dirty sloot to be honest.
>>
>>2416762
im calling the cyberpolice, this is bullying
>>
>>2416761
cheers
he has quite a safe little area
>>
>>2416357
Cute hoggers. Prepare for comedy. They have an extensive repertoire of very silly defense behaviours.
>>
>>2416659
>>2416760
I'm pretty glad. His markings are just extremely faded for the morphs/basic albinos I've been seeing. Moonglow and Kahl albino looks the closest(mostly kahl as he has not quite vibrant red eyes but they're obviously red unlike moonglows, and moonglows don't seem to have any red pigments at all. from what i've been reading a lot of todays albino stocks have kahls in them) without having access to a better camera. While the pastel orange on his tail doesn't show in the photos, his overall color and markings is pretty much the same even in those crappy photos.

He was born in 2014. I've found some custom enclosures on craigslist for about $200 but I may just shell out for a boaphile enclosure. I at least at the moment got the temp and humidity adjusted right for now since its cooler out but I am still a bit worried about keeping the actual temp(humidity is an easy fix) consistent because so far it looks I will be adjusting it at least 2-3 times a day/night due to native weather. Too hot to keep on some days without it going over mid 90s and into the 100s, and that was just me testing before I got them.
>>
>>2410497
hideous beard dude
>>
>>2416804
I'm not going to fuck around with him too much either but he got me pretty good a few times when I took a peak at him in the car. Was fine being taken out of the expo container and the bites didn't hurt. I've been bitten by ball pythons, an adult carpet python and a 6 ft burmese. They didn't really hurt either, just bled a lot but I've also only been striked with quick grab and releases with the exception of one of those times me being a 13 year old idiot who handled a pet rat right before holding a 5ft female ball. I heard chewing hurt more but her chew didn't hurt much worse than a strike and it was pretty easy to gently unwind and pry her off of me.

I'm assuming my boa was just really stressed from being carried to the car through the crowd, getting traveled and moved around so much in general that day and while he moved a bit in his tank, he didn't go into a defensive position when I went in to move some things and put down a water bowl.
>>
>>2416760
I do have have a question though. I plan on getting a lockable cage and he is already in a locked up, inescapable room that neither the dog or cat is allowed in but does just smelling like them make him think I'm food? He's only ever eaten mice and rats from what I was told and what snake people I know are solely reptile people.

I'm trying to look up some similar questions that have been asked on forums but most people answering just have ball pythons or cornsnakes. I didn't have a problem with ball pythons and cats or dogs myself but I don't need to make more mistakes.
>>
At what age do leopard geckos stop growning?
>>
>>2416804
What kind of heating are you using? If it's a uth, che, or radiant heat panel, you can purchase a simple thermostat to regulate the temperature.
>>
>>2416970
About 2.5 years depending on consistency of care and regular feeding.
>>
Thinking about getting my first snek, have been keeping lizards and tree frogs for the best part of 10 years but want something different, can anyone recommend a good starter snek that ideally dont get larger than say 30cm?
>>
>>2416979
>dont get larger than say 30cm?
lol
>>
>>2416986
lol not gonna lie big sneks scare me, while not ideal the smaller the adult size the better, thinking about a smooth green snek but would like to hear some other options.
>>
>>2416979
Hmmm... you could get a garter, kenyan sand boa, or rosy boa. All are small as adults (~60cm-ish). They're longer than 30cm of course but that's an unrealistic size cap if you want to keep any snek.
>>
>>2416979
why such a size restraint? a python regius larger than 30cm wouldnt be any harder to handle than a 14 cm rosy boa, I think you have a skewed idea of sneks and their handling requirements
>>
>>2416979
Sounds like you're not ready for a snake.
>>
>>2416979
>30cm
Thats an excessively small snake.
The best beginner snake species all range from 4-12 feet. 1 foot is a really small snake.
>>
Are there any small(ish) diurnal frogs other than dart frogs that you could keep in a 16x16x27" terrarium?

If not I'd settle for something nocturnal as well. I especially like milk frogs. Would that terrarium be big enough for a pair or trio?
>>
>>2417066
no and no. you could consider something small like reed frogs
>>
Im about 75% done with this 3x2x2 wooden cage for my snake ive been piddling on for awhile.
only thing left is background/decor and then deciding where I want to place my heat source.
Ive got some great stuff expanding spray foam I intend to use for the background. Get my artsy friend to help me cut/paint it and then seal it with some clear coat. I just cant decide if I should spray it directly into the cage or onto a spare piece of wood and then silicone it into the cage.
I would post pics but its looking a little rough on the edges I need to sand and repaint since this is being made entirely out of my old iguana cage scraps
>>
>>2417076
Thanks, those reed frogs look pretty cute. I'll look into them.
>>
>>2416819
I can't tell you if it's the absence of mouse smell or the hook training, but my boa never attacked me. I have a dog and always wash my hands after handling food, but not always after touching the dog.
It's really easy to avoid getting bitten.
>>
>>2416819
Boas are pretty smart.
Theyre experts at identifying what they can and cant eat, so you'll probably never get bitten unless it's defensive, which also isnt an issue since boas are so docile. That's also why they're such good feeders.
You don't have much to worry about, boas arent really dangerous unless you're food sized.
>>
>>2417127
>>2417134
Good to know, thanks. It's going to take awhile to get his enclosure shipped so I picked up a snake hook and moved him to a 45 gallon for now. He didn't get aggressive about it but just wants to hide atm.
>>
File: IMG_3147.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3147.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2416804
That amount of fading is sadly quite common with albino boas. It takes specialized breeding for quality to get them to keep (or even gain!) color as they age.

If you keep your heating elements on a thermostat, that should help to keep temps stable. The heat will only turn on when needed, dimming and pulse proportional are the best settings to use for stable temps.

>>2416819
Nope. I used to have a small colony of mice in my living room, and even my retic seemed completely oblivious to their presence. Dogs and cats don't smell like food at all to them, unless they're especially hungry.

>>2417064
A beginner snake would not be 12'. The size alone makes them intermediate. Beginner snakes should average about 2'-6', I wouldn't go over 8' unless the species is slow growing (boa constrictor - takes 6+ years to get that size) or they're extremely thin-bodied (a ratsnake). A 12' snake requires at least 2 people to handle, so it's not a beginner.

Here's my 8'+ retic's face so I'm contributing something.
>>
File: g.jpg (1MB, 2268x4032px) Image search: [Google]
g.jpg
1MB, 2268x4032px
Frog help! African dwarf frogs like all frogs lay eggs, so why is mine bloated so much, regardless of mating it appears like dropsy? Maybe not and its something to do with mating?
>>
File: IMG_20170601_221912_788.jpg (115KB, 918x918px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170601_221912_788.jpg
115KB, 918x918px
>>2416977
So I have a 10 month old male leopard gecko. I'm still feeding him every day even though most care sheets say after 6 months drop to eod. Will feeding him more frequently cause him to grow larger than he would lf I fed him less often? More nutrients = more growth?

As of now he pretty consistently gains about 1g per week but he doesn't look overweight. He's a healthy guy, I'm just curious more than anything. Yesterday he was 86g at roughly 10in long

Pic related, this is him being a slut and begging for food
>>
>>2417437

No, he will grow to the same max size. Overfeeding him will just make him fat. You can go to an every other day feeding now.
>>
>>2417437

He has that face that white people make when they pass loud minority families on the sidewalk
>>
NEW THREAD TIME

>>2417448

>>2417448

>>2417448

>>2417448

>>2417448
>>
Ingore the above.

real thread is here, he fucked the OP up
>>2417458
>>2417458
>>2417458
>>
>>2417459
keep your shit discord out of the OP.
>>
>>2417482
migrate to the larger, better thread and stop whining about a discord link.

>>2417458
>>
>>2417494

OP of the second one posted 13 minutes after the first had already posted, solely to shill the snake measure video and discord link. unacceptable.
>>
>>2417497
and guess which thread got more active.
>>
>>2417499
the one that got samefagged to hell and back
>>
>>2417399
I actually really like solid and subtle markings. I tend to be out off by hatchlings without pictures of the parents or previous adults from their clutches since babies are so vibrant.
I'll look for a lamp with a timer too, thanks. I don't think I also need a heat pad for the summer but I'll be getting those since while it's hot as balls in the house in summer, it has poo circulation and insulation with cold too.
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 84

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.