[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/-Aquarium General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 62

File: image.jpg (61KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61KB, 600x300px
Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
-parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
Tank Cycling:
https://www.petcha.com/freshwater-aquarium-cycling/
https://www.petcha.com/fishless-aquarium-cycling-method/
Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
Plants and Animals for sale:
>http://www.petsolutions.com/
>http://www.aquabid.com/
>http://www.liveaquaria.com/
Database for aquatic plants and their parameters
>http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>>
short reminder that I, in fact, am, without a doubt, a millionaire that owns the grandest, with certainty, saltwater tanks the world has ever, to this day, seen
>>
>>2403915
Op you forgot to link to the last thread
>>
File: IMAG0249.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0249.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
I want to change his tank up a bit again to provide him some stimulation and something new. Any ideas? It's 5 gallons.

>>2403860
He's a good and chill boy.
>>
File: image.jpg (152KB, 2000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
152KB, 2000x1125px
>>2403920
Dammit
>>
>>2403932
I'm disappointed in you.

Truly and utterly devastate.
>>
>>2403932
Least killifish need to be a bigger part of the hobby.
>>
So we're under a boil water advisory and I needed to do a water change and they said book the water for one minute and now my fucking ram cichlids are dead. Can I get the city to pay for replacement since they're at fault?
>>
>>2404018
Boil*
>>
>>2404018
Was the water boiling when you poured it in the tank?
>>
>>2404018
Nope man chlorinated water kills everything and that's how the fuckers designed it
>>
>>2404033
Well that's what I was told to do before using it
>>2404034
I use dechlorinator
>>
>>2404036
>Well that's what I was told to do before using it
so you cooked your fish in boiling water and want the city to pay for it?

cool story bro
>>
>>2404043
No I didn't I boiled the water as recommended. This is the cities fault.
>>
>>2404034
Serious question. If chlorine is meant to kill everything then how do copeopods and ostracods pop up if you let the water sit for a while especially in the window?
>>
>>2404046
Sweety pie, they don't have fish tanks in mind when providing people with water. They are only making it human safe, not 'creatures that use this stuff as their air and atmosphere' safe.

Even if you tried, it wouldn't go over. You should have just gotten bottled water till your tap went back to normal, and you honestly should have tested your tap water before ever letting it come near your tank.
>>
>>2404018
And it never dawned on you to potentially test the water? Did you even know why they have you boiling it?
The only person at fault here is your dumb ass for not testing the water before adding it. Next time go buy some bottled water or just add some prime and wait a few days.

Hard lesson learned, eh anon?
>>
>>2404048
>If chlorine is meant to kill everything
it's not.

it's meant to kill bacteria, fungi, and some algae. They use filters for the rest.

it sounds like your water isn't filtered at all. Which is funny. Do you live in guatamala or Indiana or something?
>>
>>2404056
he's lying.

cities place boil orders for either bacterial contamination or sediment that may harbor bacteria. Neither of these things harms fish.

boiling water before putting it in the tank doesn't harm fish either. There's no way this situation would kill his fish unless he poured boiling hot water in his tank.
>>
>>2404063
Or he's just fucking stupid and is equating the random water being off at a convenient time to him doing something to fuck his own tank up.

Skipped my water change and let something polute my tank? Couldn't possibly be my own fault, let me unconsciously look for some other excuse!

Oh, look, how convenient! The city said to boil the water! That MUST have done it!
>>
>>2404066
yep.

like water that's safe to drink after being boiled is somehow so toxic to fish they drop dead immediately.....
>>
>>2404018
This sounds fake but why didn't you just wait for it to be over?

Water changes are pretty much never bad, but they're rarely as necessary as every says they are so long as you have a good stock of live plants/established bacteria.
>>
>>2404062
California
>>
>>2404046
Did...did you boil your fish alive?
>>
>>2403930
dude, it's a 5 gallon... Keep water in there and that's it. You'll get some bacteria in there and that's all a 5 gallon tank would be adequate for. anything bigger, your conscience is rotten and you will be factually abusing animals whether you like it or not
>>
>>2404106
I think he was more thinking of switching out decor, which is totally fine.
>>
>>2404063
>unless he poured boiling hot water in his tank.
Doesn't even have to be boiling hot. A lot of fish are not that tolerant to sudden temperature rise above their comfort zone. Most fish are far more tolerant of cooling temperatures.
>>
>>2404113
dude there's a betta fish in there. can you even see that or are you so stupid that you think that's fine? how would you like to be confined to a prison cell for the rest of your life? it's an innocent animal we are talking about here. but yes a scumbag animal abuser like you should be put away somewhere
>>
>>2404117
neck yourself faggot
>>
>>2404118
spoken like the true murderer of living things
>>
>>2404117
I keep my Betta in a 20g, but you're still an idiot.
>>
>>2404106
>>2404117
What are you even going on about? I was talking about switching some things out and moving some decor around so the environment is different. I do this for my bettas at LEAST every two weeks, but try for every week so that they don't get bored. I was talking about overcrowding the tank so he can't freakin swim.
>>
>>2404122
you say i am an idiot because you don't like what i am saying? a betta fish should be kept in a 75 gallon, minimum. you are unable to provide your pet proper care therefore you are a bad owner. stores should put up a mugshot of your face to refuse sales to and as a community warning for giving people horrible advice
>>
>>2404124
>a betta fish should be kept in a 75 gallon, minimum
ok, you had me going for a while but that was a dead giveaway.
>>
>>2404123
save up your allowance you get from your mom and give him a 75 gallon tank. do the right thing. your fish is overcrowded not because of decoration but the tank is severely lacking in its size. severely lacking like your morality and your brain
>>
>>2404125
>dead
the way your betta fish is headed in its tiny 20 gallon home of filth and lack of good conscience by its owner

>giveaway
as you should if you are unable to take good care of your pet to someone who actually can
>>
>>2404124
>>2404127
>>
File: mollies.jpg (2MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
mollies.jpg
2MB, 4048x3036px
Anyone near 435 area code and want some of my silver mollies
>>
File: mollies2.jpg (2MB, 4048x3036px) Image search: [Google]
mollies2.jpg
2MB, 4048x3036px
>>2404156
I have a lot more too I need to get rid of. They had more fry and there's about twice that now.
>>
>>2404123
My bettas have planted tanks - you could try something like that! They love it.
>>
>>2404127
Switch out "betta" with "goldfish" and your advice would be pretty reasonable.
>>
>>2404172
>inb4 10,000 gallons per goldfish
>>
What do you think about keeping crayfish in shrimp tank and feeding him genetically inferior(discoloured) shrimps?
>>
File: 20170611_201219.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170611_201219.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Half my shrimp are berried. It should be 2 more weeks until they start hatching. I can't wait.
>>
>>2404046
Answer me so I can laugh at you, you stupid fucker. Did you or did you not pour actual boiling water into your fishtank?
>>
File: WUCyh.gif (828KB, 200x189px) Image search: [Google]
WUCyh.gif
828KB, 200x189px
>>2404469
I NEED TO KNOW
>>
>>2404466
Are you removing genetically inferior(discoloured) shrimps from tank? Because yours dont have much color in them.
Also you need to add new shrimps every couple of generations or you will end up with transparent shrimp in 10th generation or so.
>>
>>2404123
Anon that namefag is memeing you. I'd suggest getting some wood and plants with roots. Bettas love those.
>>
>>2404472
No man wtf, I love my "inferior" shrimp. Just because they aren't as beautiful as the others doesn't mean I don't want them around.

I will get more reds once the breeder has more stock. But I sure as hell am not going to kill any of them.
>>
>>2404475
You disgust me
>>
>>2404476
Sometimes I forget what website I'm on, thanks for reminding me.
>>
>>2404475
You don't have to kill them just put them somewhere else.
>>
>>2403930
Get him a new plant with broad leafs,like an Anubia or a small Amazon Sword. My Betta loves lying on them leaves.
>>
I'm thinking of moving my rasboras into my community tank, and using their 10g as a guppy seperation/culling site. I have a lot of black tail guppies growing in the colony tank and might need to start culling out the discolored/malformed ones.
>>
>>2403943
There is nothing natural about aquariums. Your entire argument is invalid.
>>
File: Axies.jpg (67KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Axies.jpg
67KB, 960x720px
I don't know if anyone remembers, but I was the anon with all wild-caught livestock, and I was having trouble identifying them.
They are all thriving, they eat regularly and display very cool behavior. I have actually gotten them to come up to the front of the tank whenever I walk by now.
I identified one of the unknown species as Speckled Dace, which should max out at around 5-7 inches. They are growing pretty slowly right now, we will see how big they get under aquarium conditions.
The other is still unidentified, but I think they are juvenile Redside Shiners, which means they should get very pretty once mature.

Also, anyone on here keep Axolotls?

>>2404157
Time to start eating them.

>>2404463
You won't be able to control which ones it eats unless you take out the shrimp, kill it, and hand-feed it directly to the crawfish, which at the point it starts associating shrimp with food, will kill all other shrimp in the tank in one brutal massacre. Larger crawfish species don't fuck around.
>>
File: 20170611_224345.jpg (458KB, 918x646px) Image search: [Google]
20170611_224345.jpg
458KB, 918x646px
Hey /aq/, is my rasbora ok? I noticed that its belly looks more prominent than the others'. It's acting completely normal (in fact more aggressive than usual) and has a good appetite. I'm paranoid because I once killed a fish by overfeeding.

Sorry for the shit photo, it doesn't stay still for a moment.
>>
Is there any place in Arizona that I can pick up some native species? Is it possible to find some Pupfish out here? I want to do a native tank, but I can' find shit for info on them.
>>
>>2404565
>There is nothing natural about aquariums. Your entire argument is invalid.
fallacy of division.

it's entirely possible to enjoy an artificial construct made entirely from natural parts. Some people love houses made of logs and stone. the house is artificial, its parts are not.

To me an aquarium should appear to mimic nature. To invoke a feeling of being in nature. That does not require it to BE nature.
>>
>>2404590
You would have to go catch the Pupfish.
>>
>>2404018
>he poured boiling water into his aquarium
>>
Any reason why a male guppy would attack the plants in the aquarium?
>>
>>2404610
Plants mated with his girl and he's fucking angry bro.
>>
>>2404619
He had another male tank-mate who died the other day, so maybe he is upset with that. I did get two more fish, but I didn't know they were a type of guppy until I got home. Perhaps he is upset because the are a pair and he has no one now.
>>
Are there any endangered/near extinct fish I could raise in an aquarium to help keep the species around? I've heard Killifish, but that's about it.
>>
>>2404639
red tailed black shark is critically endangered in the wild.
>>
>>2404639
Goodeids
Zoogoneticus tequila is extinct in the wild and many others are threatened/near extinct.
>>
>>2404643
What? That's fucking sad man.
>>
>>2404571
>Also, anyone on here keep Axolotls?
Yes. Why?

>>2404639
Axolotls aren't fish, but they fit that description. They're fairly easy to breed, too.

Goodeids, like the other anon said, are livebearers and also easy to breed.

>>2404643
>>2404673
So are Roseline (Dennison's) barbs. Those ones are apparently near-impossible to breed in captivity, though.

>>2404646
Ameca splendens is extinct in the wild except for an introduced population in a Mexican water park.
>>
>>2404601
There's nothing natural about corals with enhanced color from the wrong part of the world, fish cohabitation from different parts of the world, and live rock or artificial live rock from the wrong parts of the world. Screams natural.
>>
>>2404639
There's many freshwater fish that the aquarium hobby has kept around and bred that are endangered or extinct in the wild.
>>
>>2404703
>There's nothing natural about corals with enhanced color from the wrong part of the world, fish cohabitation from different parts of the world, and live rock or artificial live rock from the wrong parts of the world.
true.

how likely do you think it is that someone that prefers natural looks has any of that going on?

or are you assuming for some reason that you can't buy stuff from just one area? Like the fish stores don't allow it or something?
>>
>>2404707
And you automatically assume the same about freshwater aquarist who keep natural tanks. Never heard of a biotope have you? Huge in Europe where the hobby is very respected and more popular.
>>
>>2404765
>And you automatically assume the same about freshwater aquarist who keep natural tanks.
no I don't.
I simple note that saltwater fish are much more colorful than freshwater fish except in cases where the freshwater fish has been bred, mutated, dyed, tattooed, genetically modified, or otherwise turned into an artificial monstrosity.

as most freshwater fish have.
>>
>>2404707
There's plenty of naturally colorful fish in freshwater. You're autistic. You dont grasp shades of grey or alternatives. Everything must be black and white to you.
>>
>>2404778
Funny thing is most saltwater fish are wild caught, damaging the wild populations so faggots like you can have your special snowflake tank and flop your fishkeeping penis around.
>>
File: b6.jpg (3MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
b6.jpg
3MB, 3072x2304px
>>2404765
see, it's not just NATURAL I'm looking for.
it's also BEAUTIFUL.

And to me saltwater fish are far more beautiful in their natural state than freshwater fish are. A bit gaudy, but that's nature.
>>
>>2404783
>There's plenty of naturally colorful fish in freshwater.
nothing compares. Discus were the closest I ever saw and they're all hybrid monsters now too.
>>2404785
I almost never flop my fishkeeping penis, I just like saltwater fish. Sorry if that offends you.

on the plus side the wild caught ones are relatively expensive compared to guppies or whatever, so they're really not that popular and the price encourages people to take good care of them.
>>
>>2404789
Beauty is subjective faggot. Ill take a biotope freshwater with blackwater and platys over a done up fake ass coral reef
>>
>>2404793
exactly.

and I don't mind you doing you.

I was just explaining why I got into saltwater when you jumped in bitching about how terrible it is. Nobody cares what you think, go die in a fire.
>>
I have a betta in with several small species of fish. For two months they all lived in harmony.

Now, a single tetra seems to have rallied the whole tank against him. It started with just one boisterous ember tetra nipping his fins. Then more began to nip him. Now the whole school drives him away. And now the other small fish are copying them and nipping my betta!

I am going to be giving the betta away to a friend, but this behavior came out of nowhere and is very strange to me. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? It's so sudden. The betta doesn't try to fight back or anything, so maybe they just think he's a giant piece of food?
>>
>>2404791
If you knew more about freshwater you'd know better than discus being the most colorful.
>>
>>2404475
I love less pure shrimps. Not a huge fan of transparent, but lower level cherry shrimps are kicking.
>>
File: Angry_salamander.jpg (33KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Angry_salamander.jpg
33KB, 540x960px
>>2404699
Just wondering if they had any representation on /aq/. I am still not sure whether they fall better onto /aq/ or /herp/...
What varieties do you have?

I also keep a variety of newt/salamanders and their larvae
>>
>>2404804
I have something in reverse. My betta has been pretty chill for a year but last month or so he started being a real asshole to one fish in particular that's been in the tank with him for the entire time the tank has been set up.
>>
>>2404818
Just for banter, what is the most naturally colorful freshwater fish?
>>
File: a (1024x819).jpg (487KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
a (1024x819).jpg
487KB, 1024x819px
>>2404818
Like I said, I kept freshwater for 16 years. The only really colorful fish that I hadn't seen before switching to marine were killifish. And believe it or not I still look at FW fish when I'm in the store.

none of them compare.

perhaps you should go check out the Saltwater section some time?
>>
>>2404804
Maybe they just never realized before how tasty those voluptuous big ol' fun ribbons are. You could maybe separate the tetras in a separate tank, rearrange the decorations, and reintroduce the tetras after a couple days.

>>2404855
She's a wild type. She's old and has liver spots now. She's in her own 40 breeder and eats worms and ghost shrimp.
>>
>>2404855
not that anon but my kid has had a tiger salamander in a 40g for the last 6 years.
>>
File: 20170612_194001.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170612_194001.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>
File: 20170612_194014.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170612_194014.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>
How to trigger /aq/ in one pic
>>
>>2404469
yes
>>
>>2405165
Those are LFS tanks. LFS tanks are always extremely crowded and the fish live because it's for high-powered filtration.

They're only temporary. Do you expect each single goldfish for sale to have its own solitary 10 gallon set up with decorations and plants and shit? Lol.
>>
File: 1494624266571.jpg (542KB, 1536x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1494624266571.jpg
542KB, 1536x1152px
>>2405171
reported
>>
>>2404931
Aaaw. I am kind of looking forward to having a pair of old monster axolotls. Mine are both wildtype, and still look pretty similar to the pic, but a little bigger now.

>>2404935
I have an Ambystoma gracile that is pretty much identical to a tiger sal. Just bigger and not spotted. Their faces are a bit more derpy IMO.
I caught a Dicamptodon larvae at the coast two weeks ago, and he is already eating like a monster. I had read they had voracious appetites, so it is good to see I will be able to care for it.
>>
>>2404610
fucking newb he isn't attacking them if he's pecking at them hes eating algae of of them guppies do it a lot though they are terrible at keeping algae under control
>>
>>2404621
take a picture newfag you'r too stupid for me to trust your judgment of what this fish is
>>
What are you all's experiences with kuhli loaches and clown loaches? They're pretty cute, but I wanna know if they are actually good fish to keep
>>
>>2405496
Clowns get pretty big.
>>
>>2405496
kuhlis hide in the dirt for years. no exaggeration, you won't see them for years at a time. You'll forget they're even in the tank.
>>
>>2405165
That's not a 10g with Spongebob or Frozen decor with neon rainbow gravel and like 5-10 large fish
>>
File: plants.jpg (177KB, 1175x786px) Image search: [Google]
plants.jpg
177KB, 1175x786px
>>2405538
>10g
how do you guys afford your big tanks?
>>
>>2405546
I have a job in which I budget out and save for bigger tanks.
I also breed Guppies and Platys which I trade to my LFS for credit towards bigger and better things.
>>
>>2405519
I want to put some Kuhlis in my 29g Community, but this is my fear. I have black sand and lots of plants/hiding spots. I don't think I'd ever see the bastards if I got them,
>>
File: YUP ITS A GUPPY ALRIGHT.png (3MB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
YUP ITS A GUPPY ALRIGHT.png
3MB, 1920x1440px
>>2405464
>>2405470
>throwing himself at the plant and hitting it with his body
>pecking algae "of of" them
Pick one and only one.
>>
>>2405657
He might have skin irritation or a parasite if he's flickign hard against the plant.
Otherwise I think the plant may have raped his girl and he';s just furious. Also what happened to his tail? It's all fucked up.
>>
>>2405662
Not sure what happened to his tail, noticed it about a week ago but it is slowly growing back. He might have gotten attacked by my asshole minnow. One of the female minnows looks like she has eggs and a couple of the male minnows are trying to be "the one", so maybe the guppy got caught in the mix.
If I see him attacking the plants again, I'll try to catch it on video. Right now, he is busy teaching the other fish to swim up and down the glass, like some type of fish-game.
>>
>>2404639
no point to have an endangered species in a shitty aquarium, unless you have a god tier one isnt worth it
>>
>>2405546
craigslist
>>
>>2405681
Maybe I want to feel useful by keeping an species going extinct for future generations to view.
>>
>>2405699
>implying you are capable of breeding such species and distributing them among other breeders
>>
>>2405737
Not with that attitude.
It's already being done quite extensively, especially with killifish.
>>
>>2405747
Can't wait to never see you post again when you inevitably fail.
>>
>>2405737
>>2405755
>This pessimistic.
So I guess we should all just keep our Angels and nothing else.
>>
>>2405755
Are you as salty as your aquariums irl?
>>
>>2405755
So are you officially diagnosed on the spectrum, or do you pretend you don't have Aspergers?
>>
>>2405755
If people stopped posting when they failed you'd be long gone.
>>
File: ghost shrimp.png (3MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ghost shrimp.png
3MB, 1440x1080px
>>
>>2405776
My ghost shrimp tried to pick a fight with one of the amanos. the next morning, the 7 amanos were feasting on the ghost shrimps corpse.
I don't own any ghost shrimp because of that.
>>
File: sunsun.png (719KB, 3047x1904px) Image search: [Google]
sunsun.png
719KB, 3047x1904px
Will this work in 55 gallon?
>>
>>2405785
Better question: will it create significant flow? One side of my tank, opposite from the HOB, seems to have very little flow. Currently, I have a 100 gph fountain pump stuck to the glass, but it doesn't do much.
>>
>>2405793
I just bought one of these for my 60g. Well, I bought one similar. Mine's listed as 500gph, and has the magnetic base. Other than that same thing. Got it off ebay for $12.

I have a sugar oolite substrate- First thing I noticed was the pump blew so hard it exploded my substrate into the water column and spread it all over the tank. I turned it off and put the sand mostly back in place. Then I put some crushed coral and mixed shells over top of the sand near the pump to hold it down. I turned it back on and it promptly blew my crushed coral and shells across the tank and again blew all my aragonite up into a white cloud in the water.

After a bit of careful re-aiming and moving some rocks around I finally got it where it doesn't just blow everything in the tank all over.

These are some powerful little pumps, and they blow a wide angle of flow. It should easily move water around your 55, maybe more than you'd like.
>>
>>2404170
>>2404474
>>2404524
I was thinking plants, but it's since it's only 5 gallons, I'm hesitant to put anything in that I couldn't move around easily.

I like the wood idea though. Could probably switch it out once in a while too.
>>
File: P6130042 (800x600).jpg (272KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
P6130042 (800x600).jpg
272KB, 800x600px
>>2405785
so you know I'm not some shill trying to meme you, here's a pic of mine running in my 60g.

I was planning on getting 4 and running them on a wavemaker. I'm glad I didn't, they're way too powerful for that size tank.
>>
File: o-SEAHORSE-570.jpg (39KB, 570x380px) Image search: [Google]
o-SEAHORSE-570.jpg
39KB, 570x380px
Thinking about getting a saltwater tank and populating it with seahorses. Anything specific I should know?
-Tank size
-Why they're a good/bad idea
-Species
-Temperature
-Tank decorations
-Food
-Seahorse specific aquarium equipment/tools/decor
>>
>>2405825
Nobody on /aq/ keeps saltwater
>>
File: IMG_20170612_010020.jpg (1MB, 3200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170612_010020.jpg
1MB, 3200x2400px
>>2405821
I don't have many big fish, so I was worried that it would be too much gph and maybe the fish would get sucked into it. I might end up putting a stocking on it or some other type of netting. It should get here within a week, so we will see. My substrate is small gravel, so hopefully it doesn't get blown around.
>>
File: IMG_20170612_010032.jpg (2MB, 3200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170612_010032.jpg
2MB, 3200x2400px
>>2405831
>>
>>2405831
I don't think it'll blow gravel around.

my fish have stayed away from the inlet vents. I'm not sure how guppies and tetras will do. Some of them are pretty dumb. It might be strong enough to uproot plants or blow them apart. Careful aiming should avoid that.
>>
>>2405628
>I also breed Guppies and Platys which I trade to my LFS for credit towards bigger and better things.
God I want to do this now
>>
File: 14943332135990.jpg (81KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
14943332135990.jpg
81KB, 600x800px
I want saltwater fags to leave. NOW.
Go throw your money in someone else face, this thread is FRESHWATER territory.
Understood?
>>
>>2405834
Diffusers man. Poke tons of holes in a water bottle cap and attach it. Uptakes eat fish all the time. Guppies LOVE to get eaten and stuck by them.
I'm not from this thread so sorry if that wasn't what you were talking about.
>>
File: I want.jpg (26KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
I want.jpg
26KB, 480x320px
>>2406024
>I want saltwater fags to leave. NOW.
>>
File: 1u2JFJ.png (407KB, 384x600px) Image search: [Google]
1u2JFJ.png
407KB, 384x600px
>>
File: IMG_20170613_152332704.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170613_152332704.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
Whelp 2/5 of my pygmy cories have died, granted they were the 2 that looked sick when I got them (finrot, lethargic) , because I'm pretty sure my tank is way too hot for them. Its at 80°f. Having a fucking hard time keeping this thing cool. I'm thinking of picking up some of those clipon aquarium fans. Anyone have experience with those? How well would they work?
At least the amamos had a nice feast and picked them clean before I got home.
>>
>>2406155
just buy a pc fans and connect them to your controller and write some code to run them
you have one right? how else would you manage light and temp
>>
File: wow.jpg (71KB, 638x479px) Image search: [Google]
wow.jpg
71KB, 638x479px
>>2406159
>writing code to control pc fans
>>
>>2406167
the point of controller is to do stuff instead of you,
like turning fans on when temp goes above set value
ur not one of those people who turn their aqua light on/off manually?
>>
>>2406170
i do everything manually.
the more knobs, buttons, and switches, the better.
ive never even used cruise control in a car before.
>>
File: 1495921096800.jpg (90KB, 540x537px) Image search: [Google]
1495921096800.jpg
90KB, 540x537px
>>2406173
>>
>>2406175
he not like the banana.
angry.
cat no banana.
>>
how can fish b pets when u cant pet them?
>>
File: IMG_20170613_072532.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170613_072532.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
>>2405755
Say hello to one of my baby killifish.
>>
>>2406024
Cute cat.
>>
>>2406147
Okay I laughed.

>>2406159
>>2406155
Just put them on a timer to come on during the hot parts of the day. Or leave them on all the time.

>>2406323
https://youtu.be/6at5gBa4ZbI
>>
File: your opinion.png (147KB, 568x308px) Image search: [Google]
your opinion.png
147KB, 568x308px
>>2406024
>He didn't make a /salt/ thread to lure all the salt fags away to a place where he can shit post relentlessly and post one of the million salt water images claiming they're his.

Ya dun goofed. Hitler was able to commit a exterminatus on the jews because he tricked them into their position.
>>
>>2406147
Gotta learn to not send pics of your anal fins and milt to just anyone on the internet
>>
File: bettan.png (1MB, 1098x882px) Image search: [Google]
bettan.png
1MB, 1098x882px
hey /aq/, I've purchased a betta recently and a filter for it's tank, i have it in a one gallon temporarily since i'm cycling it's new 5 gallon i bought for it, going to buy a heater tomorrow. I noticed that when i put the filter in it's one gallon tank, it would stay at the top, and whenever it would try to swim down, it would float right back up, not swim, but float. I removed the filter from the one gallon for the 5, and now he's swimming just fine, not floating at all. Does anybody know why this is?

Pic related, any suggestions on what i should add? I was thinking about some grapewood or something with weight for the middle.
>>
>>2406399
Betta don't like current so much, so you might do better with a sponge filter.
>>
>>2405825
Good luck with that. Seahorses are cool as fuck, but equivalently high maintenance. Let us know how it goes, bro.
>>
>>2406427
>equivalently high maintenance
They're about the same as any other marine predator. The only real difference is they prefer less water movement.
>>
File: received_812906902212275.jpg (162KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
received_812906902212275.jpg
162KB, 1080x1920px
Alright lads, you guys have been with me for the last month while I cycled my tank, and today was finally the day I got my first fish.

His name is Sir Charles Wormsworth, and I love him dearly.

Pic related is from when I was still acclimating him to the tank, he's now swimming and seems very happy!
>>
>>2405546
>>2405686
Craigslist is great, but also test the fuck out of everything. Never trust anything on Craigslist.

Also look for local fish groups. You know those aquarium conventions that youtubers go to? Well those are run by local groups, and those groups tend to meet pretty regularly.

I found this out fairly recently and found there's this huge lowkey network of super fish nerds in my area. Some even run stores that are by-appointment only. It's like this freaky underground fish black market.

Also, Petco sells $1/gal tanks every so often.

But remember, the tank is the cheap part until you get to truly huge tanks. Getting a $55 55 gallon tank may seem like a steal (and on craigslist I've seen them even cheaper), but you're also going to have to up your game on filtration and a stand and lighting and even the massive amount of substrate it takes to fill it (one bag of substrate is okay, but when you're trying to get fucking 100 lbs of substrate, shit's expensive).

This is where we start turning to DIY stuff. Concrete block stands. DIY sumps. DIY LED lights. Pool filter sand.
>>
>>2406431
>They're about the same as any other marine predator
Which is pretty high maintenance for /aq/. If you're into it, please share pics. I think they're cool as fuck but I just can't do it myself at the moment.
>>
>>2406434
post pics of cycling tank
>>
>>2406439
I don't have any, I think they're boring. Just saying from what I've seen and read they're easier than corals and harder than damsels. Maybe on a par with mandarin dragons for how much effort is required.
>>
File: 1488388877897.png (138KB, 400x410px) Image search: [Google]
1488388877897.png
138KB, 400x410px
>mfw I put my finger in the community tank, and everyone is nipping at it with hopes of a meal.
The mollies are the first, the danios are the last, adn the platys...well they're right in the middle.
>>
hey so my Kleiner Prinz sword is flowering/making baby swords. In the process it looks like some of the energy used to make the new leaves is being taken from some of the leaves on the mother plant as they are yellowing and fading away

From what i've read I need root tabs to supplement the mother plant so my leaves dont die off but does it really make a difference? If I just let it do its thing and eventually sever the runner will it just go back to normal?
>>
>>2406445
What did you want to see?
>>
>>2406486
pics of your tank cycling?
>>
>>2406516
are you new? You cant SEE cycling happening. Unless you're asking for pics of daily ammonia/nitrate tests strips or something similar
>>
>>2406519
Dude's got microscopic vision. He wants dat terapixel macro shot of the media.
>>
>>2406519
show us the journey
>>
>>2406531
>>2406519
I mean you can see it in the form of the water becoming cloudy from bacterial blooms and then becoming clear. But that's about it.
>>
>>2406555
thats what i wanted to see
with dates
>>
What live foods can I feed my betta? I want him to be able to exercise and such for his food, and I think it'd be cool to watch him gobble up some critters.
>>
>>2406904
brine shrimp work well. most fish stores should sell eggs, sometimes live adults, that you can hatch in one day and feed

daphnia work too
>>
>>2406908
I asked for brine shrimp at my LFS for my betta and the guy told me some betta will only eat live food once they've gotten it. He tried to get me to buy some live blood worms, but I passed.
I tried to feed my betta a piss/sugar ant (Argentine ant), but he kept spitting the ant out.
>>
File: confused chunk of fried tofu.gif (3MB, 420x236px) Image search: [Google]
confused chunk of fried tofu.gif
3MB, 420x236px
>>2406951
>listening to the """advice""" of LFS plebs
>>
>>2406956
To be fair, they were out of brine shrimp anyways, otherwise I would have just bought them because I have several fish who would probably enjoy the live food.
>>
>>2406958
you can buy their eggs online and hatch them
>>
>>2406959
I'd probably pick up a sea monkey kit from Toys r Us or some shit.
>>
>>2406904
If you'd like a sustainable sulture of live food, you could get some grindal or white worms. You can start one or more new cultures pretty easily once the old one starts looking gross and have unlimited live food forever.

Daphnia, flightless fruit flies, and vinegar eels are some other options, but they're more difficult to keep thriving in cultures.
>>
File: $_86.jpg (51KB, 650x375px) Image search: [Google]
$_86.jpg
51KB, 650x375px
Looking to set up a shrimp breeding tank, anyone have any recommendations on size equipment ect ?
>>
>>2407002
20g long, sponge filter, some potted plants and sand.
>>
>>2407002
water parameters is very important for shrimp (pH, KH, GH, TDS)
don't overheat water or they will live less
>>
>>2407002

not this >>2407039

use larger tanks for display if you want, use smaller tanks to encourage breeding. go as small as you are able to keep the params rock steady. larger tanks are only worthwhile because they're more stable. keep it 10 gal at the most so when the females molt and hide the males are in closer proximity and more likely to mate. you won't manage to overcrowd them.

multiple small tanks is preferable so that you can separate culls to breed for better color grades or quarantine the sick

use air driven sponge filters. very cheap and very simple, low flow and safe for shrimp of all sizes and also serves as a feeding surface

google GH and learn about mineralizing your water with calcium and other trace elements. you probably won't even need to do this depending on what you feed them and what your tap water is like in the first place but most breeders use RO water and specifically control the mineral content

substrate also affects mineral content, fluval makes a shrimp specific substrate if you want. it's not extremely important to hobby breeding but it's one component to consider

get java moss and like anubias or java fern or whatever you want. moss is more valuable to shrimp than broad leaf plants because a moss carpet provides better cover and feeding surfaces.

they may not even try to mate if there are fish larger than them because the fish will almost certainly eat the shrimplets. use otos if you feel like you have to have fish for whatever reason but they should really just be by themselves.
>>
also probably keep your water around like 70F, 72F. depends on your room temperature stability. some will say add a heater to raise the temperature to 75-77F to stimulate summer breeding behavior but it does affect life span
>>
>>2406341
Golden wonders are easy
>>
>>2407183
It's an easy species, but not a golden wonder.
>>
>>2407195
I've been breeding tetras lately
>>
>>2407084
This is all pretty good for crystal or bee shrimp, but for run of the mill neos it's really overkill. You can set and forget a 20 long with a bunch of moss and a few cherries and have hundreds several months later. A lot of people will even go so far as to say they thrive on neglect and breed less the more you obsess over things like water parameters.
>>
>>2407203
That's cool. What kind?
>>
> lfs has huge discount event soon
> Want to fill up a small 10g tank with a betta

What substrate do these fuckers prefer and what are possible tank mates that can live in a ten gallon?

> tfw woulda filled up a 40 but recent vet bills scratched that idea
>>
>>2407278
They really don't give two shits about substrate.

However, substrate is useful as they do enjoy plants and other decor.
>>
>>2407278
Sand or gravel is fine my dude. Smaller fish and shrimp are good. I kept mine in a 30 gallon with a plethora of small tetras and rasboras and danios.
>>
>>2407211
Neon, cardinals, and black neons.
>>
File: nope.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
nope.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
I've been trying to catch my angelfish eating the cucumber, but every time I try, this happens.
>>
File: 14974690051611[1].jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
14974690051611[1].jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>
>>2407418
how does the water make it back to the bucket?
>>
>>2407415
That's adorable anon
>>
File: micro.png (17KB, 550x110px) Image search: [Google]
micro.png
17KB, 550x110px
>>2407292
>>2407311
Thanks anons, gonna go with sand, and possibly fake plants. This should be decent enough.
>>
>>2404639
What do you plan to do? Release them into the wild?

I don't think so, sonny. Stop pretending to be a martyr, and enjoy your captive fish like everybody else
>>
File: IMG_9142.jpg (234KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9142.jpg
234KB, 1600x900px
Am I fucking up /aq/?

- 10 galon
- 9 pearlscale goldfish
- 3 Molly
- 2 corydora
- 2 plecosmus
- 2 crabs

Shit, now that I think about it it's pretty overpopulated. What should I do to give them a better life?
>>
>>2407539
10 gallon isn't even enough space for 1pleco, let alone 2.
9 goldfish? they are shit machines.
water params? dyel?
>>
File: IMG_9144.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9144.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2407542
I saw the plecos pretty uncomfortable :(

I started some months ago so I can't tell the Ph and that stuff from te water, I haven't bought that stuff. For dyel I got pic related.

I used to have snails to clean all the shit from goldfishes but the crab ate all of them but one :( so yeah, I'm pretty much fucking up this place.

I want to improve so I don't fucking kill all of them.
>>
>>2407546
http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?AquTankName=&AquListBoxTank=10g&AquTankLength=20&AquTankDepth=11&AquTankHeight=13&FormSubmit=Update&AquListBoxFilter=Choose&AquTextFilterRate=N%2FA+&AquListBoxFilter2=Choose&AquTextFilterRate2=N%2FA+&AquFilterString=cory&AquListBoxChooser=Bronze+Cory+%28Corydoras+aeneus%29&AquTextBoxSize=&AquTextBoxQuantity=&AquTextBoxRemoveQuantity=&AlreadySelected=200911191426%3A9%3A%3A%2C200909300049%3A2%3A4%3A%2C200909300131%3A3%3A%3A%2C200909300034%3A2%3A%3A&FilterMode=Display+all+species&AqTempUnit=C&AqVolUnit=gUS&AqLengthUnit=inch&AqSortType=cname&FilterQuantity=2&AqJuvMode=1&AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

youre gonna need a bigger tank eventually, within a year i would think.
how often do you do water changes? if you are seriously worried, you should just be able to take a water sample to your local fish shop and find out what you can do.
>>
>>2407548
I change 25% every 2-3 weeks. I'll do the water sample thing. I guess I'll look for someone to take care of some of the fishes.
>>
>>2404048
Chlorine evaporates out of the water over time. Chloramine, however doesn't.
>>
>>2407539
>2 plecos
>9 goldfish

If you want to give them a better life, either rehome them or eventually invest in a +150 gallon tank or a pond.
At least maybe up to 3 or 4 of those goldfish will be fine in a 40-50 gal, if you want to keep them.
>>
>>2404048
The eggs are pretty durable and, if they didn't originate from poorly filtered water, likely came from dust in the air that settled in the cup. Wind dispersal is how they get to tiny puddles in the middle of nowhere. Just like alage, fungal spores, and various bacteria.
>>
>>2407639
I'll give them away in a fish group, they deserve to have better conditions.

>>2407548
Thank you very much for that link, anon. This will help me a lot to take care of my fish in the future.
>>
>>2407539
>- 10 galon
>- 9 pearlscale goldfish
more like 60 galon, and thats only counting goldfish
don't put that many goldfish in tank so small
they will die from ammonia poisoning
>>
>>2407549
water changes must be at same time intervals if you want good water quality, not
>"hurr-durr i change every 3 weeks unless i forget it, america fuck yeah god bless Trump xD"
>>
>>2407798
>water changes must be at same time intervals if you want good water quality
this is what OCD people actually believe
>>
>>2407819
Regular, frequent changes are better for stability than infrequent changes. All of the decaying organic matter tends to make a tank more acidic over time. You can get a huge fluctuation in pH if your water changes are too infrequent. Though, doesn't really matter unless you're keeping something delicate.
>>
>people are actually autistic enough to debate over their water quality and water change time
/aq/ losers like always
>>
Is my new Axolotl going to eventually learn not to try to eat his tank-mates gills/legs or is it going to be like this for fucking ever?
>>
>>2407839
>frequent changes are better for stability than infrequent changes
the difference between every 2 weeks and occasionally skipping a week or two isn't measurable. If you're doing one every 4 months you're probably ahead of the game.

the reason we like a regular schedule is because it helps people get in the habit of doing them, not because your tank will suddenly die if you skip one.
>>
>>2407939
>axolotl
>tank mates
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>2407967
Why not just test water and change as needed?
>>
>>2408015
that's fine.

water changes are suggested to make the hobby easier for newbs. They aren't actually a requirement if you know what you're doing. They're almost entirely unnecessary in an established, lightly-stocked, heavily-planted tank for instance.
>>
>>2407974
They're supposed to do fine together, they have a fancy-ass 20gal to grow into.
>>
>>2408019
I'm doing a partial water change right now on a 55 gallon. Pain in the ass! This hobby is way more involved than I ever thought it would be. Kind of expensive, too, if you really get into it.
>>
>>2408020
>>2407974
Two axlotls in a 20 long has worked out fine for tons of people in the hobby.
>>
>>2408033
There's tricks to reducing the need.

keeping your temperature low slows down animal and bacterial metabolism, meaning less food is consumed and less waste produced. Somewhere near the bottom recommended temp is best.

Feeding less often significantly improves water quality. I feed my fish once or twice a week. They're fat and active. They don't need more food. It just rots or feeds the poop factory.

Good flow along the substrate that moves waste into the filter improves water quality.

Having a pack of detrivores helps. In saltwater tanks we have tons of animals and microbes that consume waste.

running a smaller biofilter often helps, since nitrifying bacteria will produce more waste in larger filters. They become nitrate factories preferentially consuming any nutrients in the tank and converting them to toxic nitrates.

Nitrate export via plants or algae finishes the cycle. You can use a fermenting anaerobic denitrifying reactor but those are way touchier than a wad of algae or plant matter.

If you're careful you can cut water changes down to once a year or less.
>>
>>2408043
I'm a dumb ass who thought you could just fill an aquarium with dechlorinated water and add fish. So I am currently dealing with all that BS. Ammonia levels were way too high this morning, so I am doing 25% change then adding some bacteria. Hopefully it helps!
>>
>>2408058
it will. If ammonia goes too high you can do larger water changes or buy some water treatment that says it removes ammonia. That stuff works almost instantly.
>>
>>2408060
I bough some ammonia reducer too by Top Fin but I'm not sure if it's the good stuff or not.
>>
>>2408065
should work fine.
>>
>>2407539
this is bait and only the summerfags replied
>>
>>2408065
what is stocked in your 55? /ag/newfag
>>
>>2408088
Hopefully not too much...

2x 2-inch Angelfish
1x "fancy" male guppy
2x Endler's Livebearer (male/female)
13x Neon Tetra
~8x White Cloud Mountain Minnow
2x Kuhli Loach
2x African Dwarf Frog
4x Albino Cory
2x 2-inch Pleco (one albino)
~20x Ghost Shrimp
1x random snail that made it into tank

I read I need more Kuhli Loaches and a couple more Cory but I might way a bit for those. I want some bigger fish, but I'm not sure if anything else will get along in my tank.
>>
>>2404018
Rams fucking die if you look at them the wrong way. It's your fault for buying a shitty fish
>>
>>2404646
If anyone is interested, I'm selling pairs of zoogoneticus tequila for $35 + shipping or pickup in Portland area, I'll drop contact info if anyone wants some.
>>
>>2408107
yeah thats either too much or will be too much in a month dumbass i too have endlers in about 6 tanks if both the angels are male they will fight eventually if one is male and other is female theyll fight scare and stress everything in it they will also eat the shrimp and alot of your endlers your endlers will breed with the guppy and make disgustiing worthless hybrids not enough cories which is normal for retards ummmmmmmm yeah thats about all of my notes on this soon to be disaster next time do a little more research
>>
>>2408065
>>2408060
If you can get your hands on pure zeolite/mordenite (I found some in pellet form, sold as Breeze unscented cat litter), it can be helpful for emergency ammonia reduction. Use a ratio of 0.2g per gallon for every 1ppm ammonia indicated on your water test results.
>>
>>2408117
One angelfish is male, and the other, well the other is a female. I got them small enough that hopefully they will grow up peaceful enough. I'll get more cories soon though, probably some more loaches as well. As far as breeding, we will have to see what happens.

>>2408134
Interesting way to combat ammonia! Kinda expensive for cat litter though.
>>
File: 20170603_203943.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170603_203943.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>2408107
THis list reeks of "I went to the pet store and pointed at stuff."

You need to do research man.

You have a bunch of tropical shit with White Cloud Minnows, which are a colder water species. Your shrimp, plecos, and loaches would have done better being added like a month later. And those plecos are basically shit factories, just so you know. Also your angelfish will likely pick on and kill a lot of your smaller inhabitants, like the endlers, guppy, and dwarf frogs.

I expect most of this to die, honestly. Sorry for the loss of your money anon, that's an expensive lesson to learn.

This snail mourns your loss.
>>
>>2408115
>$35
thats pretty expensive ese
>>
>>2408167
I paid $20 a fish when I bought my first group
>>
>>2408165
I've had the minnows since about November. They were originally for my frog habitat. Then about December I got a tiny pleco. I thought they needed more than 3 gallons space, so I got a 10 gallon. Around January I got the two frogs. I had the 10 gallon going for a few months no problem until last month when I got a 55 gallon.

I've bought most the fish in the last month. I did do some research before I made my purchases. I have no heater in my aquarium. I will get a couple before winter though. My fish seem happy to me. We will have to wait and see what happens.
>>
>>2408110
I don't know what Rams you've had my dude but mine were good even when I wasn't able to do a water change in about 2 months
>>
>>2408206
Every captive bred ram I've had died within a year even with 0/0/0 bc of plants. I just got a pair of wilds and they'll probably do better because the ones in the aquarium hobby are inbred and have shitty genetics
>>
>>2408179
That's about double the price of the same fish from Greg Sage.
>>
>>2408250
>they'll probably do better because the ones in the aquarium hobby are inbred and have shitty genetics

>inbreeding produces genetic defect
>defect doesn't prevent fertilization of egg
>defect doesn't prevent growth and hatching of fry
>defect doesn't prevent normal behaviors and survival of fry
>defect doesn't prevent months or years of growth to adulthood
>defect doesn't cause death during transportation or switching to dealers' tanks
>defect magically kills the fish AFTER anon has purchased it somehow

inbreeding doesn't really work like that. If a fish dies in your tank it's generally your fault.
>>
Just a newbie with some questions
Would you guys say it's a bad idea to throw yourself in the hobby by starting with a big tank? I get the idea of working yourself up with smaller aquariums, but the idea of buying certain fish just to get experience rather than genuine interest doesn't sound right.
Also, for people with planted tanks: would you recommend planting them before, during, or after cycling?
>>
>>2408206
>>2408250
>>2408282
As far as cichlids go, I've found rams to be on the easier end of the scale but still requiring a bit more care than a great deal of common tropical stuff talked about on this board.

Like with most cichlids, I kept having to fight with my water parameters though and I just didn't feel like it anymore. I tend to go for a philosophy of getting fish suited to my tap water and not beating my tap water into submission. If I wanted to do that I'd just go saltwater (which I am looking to get back into after more than a decade away from it, ironically).
>>2408314
>Just a newbie with some questions
>Would you guys say it's a bad idea to throw yourself in the hobby by starting with a big tank? I get the idea of working yourself up with smaller aquariums, but the idea of buying certain fish just to get experience rather than genuine interest doesn't sound right.
>Also, for people with planted tanks: would you recommend planting them before, during, or after cycling?

There's a lot of debate on this. A LOT of people in the hobby will tell you bigger is easier due to more stable water parameters. That is true but that is not the only factor in the hobby. Doing maintenance itself is a much bigger chore to a newbie with a huge tank, especially since a lot of the cheap 55g aquariums have really terrible dimensions to work with. Plus, a large tank is expensive as shit starting up. You're likely not going to do a whole lot DIY so you're buying off-the-shelf stuff. The cost of the tank will be cheap as shit comparatively.

I personally like 20G long aquariums for newbies. They're small enough to be manageable and cost effective, while large enough to give you some amount of choice in fish and not terribly unstable parameters.

Also, super pro tip: have your tap water tested first. Then plan your tank around your tap parameters. Makes things such as worrying about water parameter stability completely trivial.
>>
>>2408314
>newbie with questions

Be warned some fucking neckbeard will attack you within 5 minutes on this unmoderated board, blatantly violating global rule 3, because no one will moderate him.

Don't respond.
>>
>>2408314
As for planted tanks, I've done before and after. Hasn't REALLY mattered in the long run.

I personally like doing it before for a couple reasons.
>>
>>2408314
Start of with testing your water so you have an idea of what you're working with, then pick fish that works around it. Do this because it's a bit trickier to change your ph and hardness when you're just starting out.
Also Research everything you want to plant/add to the tank and how it might effect everything.
Example for me is that my water's PH is a 8.1 with a hardness of about 250ppm (around 16 degrees of hardness).

Because of that I have a guppy tank, snails and shrimp thrive in my water. I could probably do a cichlid tank without having to adjust my water for it.

As for planted tanks, plant them first so you know where you want everything, Also do your research here too. I recommend staying with simple plants like Anacharis, Java Fern, Java Moss, and Anubias.

Have fun with it. Big tanks take a bit more dosh to get going, but they're definitely easier to maintain once you get going. If you want to go low-flow buy a pair of sponge filters and a nice high flow air pump to power them. It'll run you only about $60 all together. I'd recommend a an Aquaclear Hang-On-Back filter if you want to get a quality filter, but they also run a bit more. In all honesty though, as long as your filter + Substrate + Plants are able to keep up with any waste you're fine with cheaper, low end filters too.
>>
>>2408374
>Example for me is that my water's PH is a 8.1
>water's PH is a 8.1
>8.1
Damn bro. What area do you live in?
>>
>>2408377
I live in AZ. Water I have is god damn hard.
>>
>>2408161
NO YOU FUCKING IDIOT THEY ARE AGGRESSIVE WHEN TRYING TO BREED WHICH WHEN MATURE IS ALL THE TIME THEY ARE DICKS
>>
>>2408276
i got them from Steve Lundblad
>>
>>2408388
I guess it's going to be pretty exciting!
>>
>>2408197
My friend put them in a tropical tank they lasted a year do you know how long they naturally live fuck face? now you can either give your pet a happy full life or abuse it like all the little poor or young fags that abuse bettas
>>
>>2408343
Hey don"t be mad just cause I put you in your place people like you abuse the hobby I love
>>
>>2408343
Hey don"t be mad just cause I put you in your place I have nothing but respect for people with questions but people like you have to fuck up before they learn which is pathetic people like you abuse the hobby I love
>>
fuck now my autism is exsposed
>>
>>2408408
>My friend put them in a tropical tank they lasted a year do you know how long they naturally live fuck face?
Not that guy you are arguing with but minnows in captivity last for five years, sometimes slightly more, with good care. Not sure why you're bringing up your friend's one year minnow since it seems contrary to your argument of giving fish longer lives with better care.

I can't even think of any popular fish off the top of my head that have a natural lifespan in captivity of only a year, actually.

TL:DR; your friend is a shit fishkeeper.
>>
>>2408417
ah im saying my friend abused them and they only lived a year sorry i may have explained terribly as i am pretty fucked up atm
>>
>>2408410
I don't have your hobby. I wanted basic info. I am autistic, I keep rats. Your hobby is worthless, I just wanted to learn, what yhr fuck are fish for besides decoration?

They're ornaments, which means they're not favored animals. Kill them. They're shit to you already m
>>
>>2408424
Yes... you seem... drunk. Carry on.
>>
>>2408427
Must be two drunkposters tonight. I am definitely one of them.
>>
>>2408425
then get the fuck out of here bitch we are in /aq/ Go to the pests board and be with your rats your too stupid for fish keeping because it takes more effort than you can give that makes you lazy retard not fishkeeping is worthless
>>
>>2408428
Aye Aye captain I personally love to smoke some good reefer or drink and watch them the bigger and more colorful the school the better
>>
>>2408430
What is your problem?
You no read global rules?

Can I not be drunk and happy here? Can I not learn the fucking hobby?
>>
File: 1490877005439.png (88KB, 568x548px) Image search: [Google]
1490877005439.png
88KB, 568x548px
>>2408425
>I keep rats
>>
>>2408436
No not if you think they are worth nothing to begin with they are organisms under your care you ignorant person jesus fucking christ RRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
So my Walmart ''rescue'' betta lady came down with dropsy the day after I could return her. Initially was just going to make her comfortable and let her die but said fuck it and ordered some Kanaplex.

Assuming she'll even survive until tomorrow afternoon, what can I do to maximize her chances of living until then? I've already set her up in a hospital tank, salted the water, lowered the water feeding her bits of shrimp soaked in garlic juice

she's at the stage where she isnt really interested in eating though
>>
I require urgent help here. Here's the scoop:
I have 6 cherry shrimp, originally 10, but 4 of them have died for reasons I do not know. My assumptions are either old age, a failed molt, bad parameters, or a water quality related issue. My ammonia liquid test kit from API just ran out, so my only option is to use Seachem Prime to neutralize bad parameters(temporarily for 24-36 hours?). They all currently reside in a 5gallon tank, a few of them seem to act normal and skip all over the place when it's dark, but a portion of them hide near the sponge filter. How do I ensure their survival, /an/ons? Dosing Prime for the shrimp did not seem to work as four of them had still died, though I'm open to feedback.

I am unable to visit the pet store and maintain the tank due to my working hours.
>>
>>2408453
99% percent of people say its untreatable im pretty experiences and in all my cases even ive failed to keep them alive its a fish killer there is no real evidence anything treats it succesfully the only thing that has kept down the fluid build up in their bodies is very carefully taking a syringe and draining the fluid but that doesnt mean your fish still wont die sorry bro if it makes you feel any better it likely got dropsy to you being lazy and slipping up on water changes so bacteria fucked your fish which means you can prevent it next time
>>
>>2408439
I don't fucking have a rat.
I just like the ones I've had.

>>2408441
You have gone so far beyond the topic that I don't even know what this thread is about. Congratulations on losing me.

I'm trying to enjoy myself on an extremely boring BBS website but you fuckers keep trying to get in on it.

It's just text. Just shut the fuck up. Youtube reccomends shit and I revert here and you WHINE AND WHINE AND WHINE. JIST AHUT RHE FUCK UP. Fucking crybabies crying about how sad they are about my posts on an 18+ site. What the fuck mate? I can't ask a question without little tiny babies crying their eyes out about my knowledge base that I'm trying to build?

WAAAH WAHH WAAAAHHH
What the fuck. This site requires you to be 18 years of age but all I hear are babby wails.
>>
>>2408462
says the cry baby posting wah
>>
File: 1497589039984-881905285.jpg (2MB, 3200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
1497589039984-881905285.jpg
2MB, 3200x2400px
can i turn this into a filter or maybe purigen reactor?
>>
File: Peacock-Gudgeon_1024x1024.jpg (124KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Peacock-Gudgeon_1024x1024.jpg
124KB, 1024x768px
Would anyone in or around okc area be interested in buying my peacock gudgeon fry pic related but not mine they are extremely easy to keep
>>
>>2408498
purigen reactor would make more sense since biofilters need to be blacked out.

it's a really tiny container though. I mean if you want to do it to look cool, go for it, but 5g buckets make much better pressurized filters and reactors.
>>
File: 1497589747044-1148251351.jpg (2MB, 3200x2400px) Image search: [Google]
1497589747044-1148251351.jpg
2MB, 3200x2400px
>>2408501
im gonna attach it to 100 gph fountain pump, hence small size. also have 500ml water bottle to work with if first prototype is shitty.
>>
>>2408454
I too started red cherry shrimp recently i even started with two different reliable breeders lines together so it wasnt just a weak line i had 4 berried females then boon i kill all with a very very small amount of the liquid CO2 booster for the plants and it wiped them out all 10 slowly over a week and i couldnt stop it no matter what feels bad man
>>
>>2408043
>running a smaller biofilter often helps, since nitrifying bacteria will produce more waste in larger filters. They become nitrate factories preferentially consuming any nutrients in the tank and converting them to toxic nitrates.
This doesn't make sense. Any excess nutrients not consumed by the biofilter will remain as ammonia or nitrites and be more toxic to fish.
>>
File: 20170616_005717.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170616_005717.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Hey guys I think my microglanis iheringi has started eating my neon tetras, I haven't seen him come out to eat sinking wafers in awhile. How can I get him not to eat the tetras? I also found one floating at the top of the tank yesterday, it was whole but it's tail fins were nipped
>>
File: 20170616_010510.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170616_010510.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2408526
That's it hiding, look for the brown black banding
>>
>>2408525
>Any excess nutrients not consumed by the biofilter will remain as ammonia or nitrites and be more toxic to fish.
Yes, you don't want to go TOO small- you need enough filtration for the bioload.

What I mean is you also don't want to go too big. If your biofilter is larger than necessary because the biofilter will consume nutrients otherwise eaten by other organisms (plants, algae, bacteria) and become a nitrate factory. As it runs out of nutrients it will begin to die and that bacterial mass will release nutrients into the water which will again be consumed by the biofilter and converted to even more nitrate. This becomes a cycle with the biofilter feeding off introduced nutrients when it can and then consuming itself when nutrients run low.

All this metabolic activity also strips oxygen from the water, which can be a problem if we don't have planted, aerated, or lightly-stocked tanks. So having the right size filter is better from a water quality standpoint than overfiltering is. That's not to say overfiltering is NEVER good- you really need it on heavily stocked tanks. But if your aim is not changing water you'll stock lightly and not overfilter. The pinnacle of this is marine tanks which often don't have a biofilter at all, relying on the relatively small oxygenated surfaces in porous rock and sand.
>>
>>2408060
>>2408065
The liquid ammonia removers simply bind free ammonia for a short time. They don't remove it from the tank.
Chemical filtration like zeolite or Purigen will trap the ammonia and remove it from the tank.

>>2408107
If they're common plecos they'll outgrow the tank. Fully grown angels will be large enough to possibly eat the endlers and neons (it'll depend on the angels' personality), but by then you'll probably have a hundred endlers, so not such a big deal.

>>2408117
The vast majority of endlers on the market are already hybrids, and a lot of guppies are too.

>>2408314
20-29 gallons is a good size for a starter community tank and still pretty easy for maintenance. Kits on sale are a pretty good way to get all the basics (20 gallon high with everything is on sale for $66 at PetSmart right now).

If you'd like something smaller, a 10 gallon is a good way to get started if you just want a betta or another low-maintenance single or pair of fish.

Plant it when you first set the tank up. The ammonia generated during cycling is good for them as long as you don't let it get crazy high.
>>
>>2408542
>The liquid ammonia removers simply bind free ammonia for a short time.
true, but the amount of time varies based on water chemistry, and presumably as the ammonia slowly becomes bioavailable again the biofilter has time to grow and consume it.

so overall it's an effective stop-gap. Chemical filtration will also fill the gap, but doesn't give the biofilter its food because zeolites are very effective at stripping ammonia. They do leach ammonia back into the water if left too long, but it's a really slow process and presumably people replace or recharge the media before that can happen.
>>
>>2408544
tl;dr: Removing ammonia entirely doesn't fix the problem- the tank needs ammonia to cycle.
>>
>>2408498
It's a glass bottle, right? Are you going to put both the intake and outlet holes in the cap of the bottle? It's probably going to be too small to flow the water through effectively while remaining reliably watertight.

>>2408544
I didn't mean to imply that either one was better than the other, just wanted to clarify, and if you're going to be using liquid ammonia binders during cycling you should probably redose every two or three days.
>>
>>2408549
>I didn't mean to imply that either one was better than the other, just wanted to clarify,
got it then. You're exactly right.

I think the anon is unfamiliar with cycling, he seems to have a heavily stocked brand new 55 reading high ammonia. I'm guessing he's going to lose fish either way.
>>
>>2408537
/aq/ is the only place I've ever seen this argument, and like everything else on here it seems to be entirely based on conjecture. It's an interesting thought experiment, but I wouldn't put a lot of faith into it.
>>
>>2408565
>/aq/ is the only place I've ever seen this argument,
yep.

it's extremely common among saltwater aquarists and entirely unknown among freshwater.

so if you hang out on reef forums you'll see it all the time. Otherwise your only chance of encountering it is when you find a mixed forum like /aq/.

I have never personally tested it, I've only read it explained by scientists on reef central. I have however used the technique of not having a biofilter on my reef tanks- as have most saltwater aquarists. I know for a fact it produces less nitrate than running a biofilter, and ammonia and nitrite are still 0.

skepticism is good. So is being open to potentially better methods. Reefkeepers have been using this one for decades. Freshwater could too, but there's a certain resentment between the two. Bacteria don't care though.

Freshwater has the advantage of plants. With enough plants you don't need a biofilter at all....
>>
posted this in another thread earlier, am drunk so will summarize

rescued dying betta from craigslist, starting to look kind of ok, has huge swim bladder disease type bulge. but seems to go up and down better than other bettas with SBD. eats food greedily, fins regenerating in less than a week, but bloat remains. Could it be something other than SBD? He looks hugely bloated and was rescued from near death in trash water
>>
>>2408567
>it's extremely common among saltwater aquarists and entirely unknown among freshwater.
Reason being it costs us a lot more money to do water changes because salt mix is expensive
and
we keep animals that need nitrates below 8. Some of our animals need nitrates at 0.

So reducing nitrates AND reducing water changes is far more important to us. We find ways. One important way is to nix the biofilter almost entirely.
>>
>>2408570
>Could it be something other than SBD?
cancer, gas, kidney failure.

I read your posts. I just don't have anything to add. Dropsy is a symptom, not a disease. It can be caused by a number of pathogens, none of which are cheap to treat and all of which stem from poor water quality.

so your best bet imo is to maintain excellent nutrition and water quality and hope for the best. This doesn't usually work. By the time you see symptoms it's usually too late. But perhaps you'll get lucky.

If it was me I'd keep up on foods with garlic, and water changes, and see how it turns out. Maybe he'll survive, maybe not. Either way you did the best you could.
>>
>>2408570
Constipation?
is it shitting? if not you need to feed peas and garlic.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170616-101049~01.png (219KB, 1080x1842px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170616-101049~01.png
219KB, 1080x1842px
>>2408542
>20 gallon high with everything is on sale for $66 at PetSmart right now
There's also a coupon for this weekend.
https://mp.vibescm.com/p/td4tcw?unique_identifier=4f0fd19c-1af4-41e6-ab50-164c8b40c311
>>
>>2408836
do you have to print that out or can you just show it on your phonr?
>>
>>2408836
thats a shitty fucking deal just wait for the dollar gallon sale or look on craigslist for an actual deal
>>
File: clubpain.png (116KB, 1107x670px) Image search: [Google]
clubpain.png
116KB, 1107x670px
So I was looking into products to reduce ammonia and I found this gem.
>>
>>2408841
You can just show it to them on your phone.

>>2408850
>$46 for a brand new 20 gallon complete kit is a shitty deal
>just wait for the dollar gallon sale
>$20 for tank
>$20-30 for filter
>$40-80 for light
>$25 for heater
>$5 for net and thermometer
>$110-160 for a full setup
The $/gal sale is garbage if you need anything more than just a tank a la carte.

>Craigslist
>dingy, used 20 gallon tank with water stains caked on the top quarter of the glass, neon gravel, and spongebob décor
>"I paid over $300 for this full setup im only asking $250 this is a steal no lowballers"
Who know, maybe you'll get lucky, but I wouldn't count on it. Every single person on Craigslist within 100 miles of me is a fucking moron when it comes to aquariums.

>>2408861
It's just a mixture of zeolite and activated carbon. Carbon won't do anything for ammonia and you can find either of those for much cheaper than what Marine land asks for them.
>>
>>2408873
ive had great luck with craigslist and facebook not everyone is a jew im only 20 and have 11 tanks going i do nothing other then smoke weed and watch them i have no cash but if you really want something you'll get it people complain about how expensive it is but if they were serious about it they look even harder for deals and sale and trade their hobbies that they dont even enjoy anymore
>>
>>2408879
>smoking weed in fish habitat

YOU CRUEL BASTATD STOP HARMING FISHES LUNGS
>>
>>2408567
>saltwater
Does that really count? The entire tank is a biofilter because it's full of live rock.
>>
>>2408879
Eh. It depends entirely on where you live. Sometimes people will be getting rid of stuff for free, but it's always in god-awful condition. I'd still get the new tank on sale.
>>
File: Snapchat-1646590908.jpg (660KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1646590908.jpg
660KB, 1080x1920px
QUICK EVERYONE POST THEIR BETTAS
>>
File: IMG_20170616_133933.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170616_133933.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
>>2408910
I don't have a betta. How about a pleco instead?
>>
File: 1.jpg (417KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
417KB, 1920x1440px
>>2408910
>>
File: IMG_20170519_195027.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170519_195027.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>2408910
>>
So everyone here seems retarded
>>
File: image.jpg (78KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78KB, 1152x864px
>>
I just got from petco and found some Hygro :0
>>
>>2409017
Welcome to the community!
>>
>>2409022
Yeah I'm glad I came. I'll just stay in the discord.
>>
>>2409028
We don't need you anway Jew
>>
File: image.jpg (89KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89KB, 640x480px
Want
>>
>>2409037
Why? It's a deformed piece of shit that's going to die early.
>>
>>2409037
SMASHED
>>
>>2409038
Because frick you that's why
>>
File: image.jpg (167KB, 640x423px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
167KB, 640x423px
>>2409040
>>
File: image.gif (2MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 320x320px
>>2409044
Bump limit . Usually these threads have a decent amount of pics in them. But seems like one dude just wants to sit in here and argue for zero reason.
>>
>>2408161
Sometimes you'll find zeolite media in saltwater supply sections of your lfs or online stores.
>>
>>2409198
I just got the Marineland stuff because Petsmart only had it loose like that or in cartridges for filters I don't own. Ended up using >>2408836
for $10 off of $40.
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.