[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/herp/ - Reptile & Amphibian General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 64

File: Basilisk.jpg (984KB, 1523x2028px) Image search: [Google]
Basilisk.jpg
984KB, 1523x2028px
previous thread >>2378282

check out an anon's guide to snek measurement the accurate (pretty close) way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-ewkrk6QM

/herp/ reptile classifieds for finding breeders of various scaled and sundry creatures

>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>Also check to see if there are any annual reptile shows/expos in your area as these are good places to find good animals from good breeders at partial discount

/herp/ officially official all purpose care sheet of wonder and magic

>sand a shit
>use a thermostat
>read all the caresheets
>set up your tank before you get your herp
>regulate temps & humidity levels prior to herp arrival
>do not fuck with (handle) your herp for at least 7 days after bringing it home and ideally wait until herp has eaten at least one meal (for snakes), two meals for lizards, frogs, etc.
>PVC tanks are way better for most applications and worth the extra money
>it is best to avoid chain pet stores when looking to purchase live animals as mass breeder suppliers are not especially careful about health and sound genetics... it often saves you money long term to spend a little extra up front to get a healthy animal

>Jump Start (formerly Hydrofarm) thermostat is a good basic and inexpensive thermostat for regulating ceramic heat emitters and under tank heaters (Amazon sells it)
>if you want something more advanced for temperature control, look at Herpstat products
>>
File: Iguana.jpg (89KB, 960x676px) Image search: [Google]
Iguana.jpg
89KB, 960x676px
>>
File: albinoiguanapineapple.jpg (96KB, 572x800px) Image search: [Google]
albinoiguanapineapple.jpg
96KB, 572x800px
>>
File: GalapagosMarineIguana.jpg (2MB, 1159x1440px) Image search: [Google]
GalapagosMarineIguana.jpg
2MB, 1159x1440px
Eldritch horro- I mean galapagos marine iguana. Yes this animal exists. No this picture is not fake.
>>
File: GalapagosMarineIguana2.jpg (109KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
GalapagosMarineIguana2.jpg
109KB, 736x552px
>>2387126

and another shot from the front side
>>
File: GalapagosMarineIguana3.jpg (202KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
GalapagosMarineIguana3.jpg
202KB, 1200x900px
>>
File: rua-iguana.jpg (81KB, 640x423px) Image search: [Google]
rua-iguana.jpg
81KB, 640x423px
>>
>>2387126
literally everybody in the world knows they exist and what is so weird about them?
>>
/herp/ discord
https://discord.gg/6V6yuhU
>>
File: IMG_0105.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0105.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Took a picture of this elder dragon in Miami

Like I heard there were lots of invasive there but I didn't expect to actually just see iguanas and agamas running around
>>
>>2387138

yer mum doesn't know they exist
>>
File: IMG_0117.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0117.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2387147
Also saw this thing. It doesn't look familiar anyone know what it is?
>>
File: 20170330_181405.jpg (3MB, 4191x2358px) Image search: [Google]
20170330_181405.jpg
3MB, 4191x2358px
>>2387119
Thanks OP
Have a rare snekpic
>>
>>2387149
looks like a cuban knight anole
>>
>>2387147
Iguanas seem to not be screwing with the environment much unlike a lot of other invasive animals in Florida, so they aren't heavily persecuted. I'd go so far as to say they're welcomed, I saw tons of iguana-themed souvenirs when I was in the Keys and most people I talked to there seem to like them.
>>
>>2387213
yea iguanas are herbivores and florida is quite lush so they are relatively benign compared to the predatory reptiles that are invasive there
>>
>>2387213
When I was a kid in FL I saw a 3ft long wild iguana chilling on my swing set when I got home from school one afternoon. When it noticed me it got spooked, slid down the slide, and took off back into the woods. Never saw it again.
>>
what are y'all cresteds favourite food
Pangea or repashy and what flavour(s)?
>>
>>2387371
Mine likes watermelon pangea
>>
File: sea iguana.jpg (67KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
sea iguana.jpg
67KB, 500x374px
>>2387135
I love how short their faces are.
>>
>>2387213
>>2387246
I hear they eat an endangered flower that an endangered butterfly reproduces on, but that's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head
>>
Anyone had experience with spiny tail iguanas and cuban rock iguanas?
>>
>>2387594
>>2387246
oh and I just remembered they sometimes steal burrows from burrowing owls
>>
>>2387371
They overwhelmingly prefer the Pangea mixes. Top favorite flavour among the Pangea is the fruit mix with insects one but they happily devour everything Pangea makes.
>>
>>2387603
I've got a Cuban mutt, she's great. Loads of personality. They need a huge cage unless you let them free roam, and even then you have to bathe them every few days to make sure they shed right. Also pretty pricey and hard to find, I got her for like 400 bucks a few years ago.
>>
>>2387119
I don't usually fuck with herp threads, but why is that lizard so goddamn sexy? Fucking killing it with the eyeliner.
>>
File: Sitana ponticeriana.jpg (277KB, 950x713px) Image search: [Google]
Sitana ponticeriana.jpg
277KB, 950x713px
>>2387759

Herps are tied with birbs for 1st place in the style category.
>>
>>2387714

Yours may. Mine all prefer rephashy.
>>
Is there a way to get a snake to switch foods? I have a ring neck snake, but it wasn't eating. I had read they may only eat slender salamanders, and I tested with one to be sure, and it disappeared pretty fast. I don't want to go out catching them for this snake, although it occurs to me it was already in my yard eating them, I'd rather feed it slugs or insects, if I can get it to switch. The local vivarium recommended placing the snake with its food inside a paper bag inside the enclosure, but as they recommended small slugs as food, I feel like they would eat their way out.
>>
File: IMG_20170522_180110664.jpg (606KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170522_180110664.jpg
606KB, 2592x1456px
>>2387987
Wow, that post was longer than I meant for. Tl;dr: snake wants to eat little salamanders, and I don't want to feed them to it. Here's the snake, sorry for potato quality.
>>
>>2387987
>>2387992
let it go
>>
>>2387987

Put your wild caught snek back in the wild. It is a pain in the ass to get a wild caught acclimated to captivity for this and other reasons. Go buy a captive bred colubrid or something if you want a pet snake.
>>
>>2388114
why colubrid? there are many pythons and boas that would make great pets

my first snake was a reticulated python 3 months ago and i am saving up for an african rock python and green anaconda
>>
>>2388116
Baitpost
>>
>>2388139
I don't think it is.

>>2387992
Let it go. You have no business owning a wild-caught snake. You are already running into issues with maintaining a proper diet.
>>
>>2388143
I can imagine this retard having 3 giant snakes in a few years and being completely overwhelmed.
>>
>>2388139
>>2388145
did i say it was my first reptile?

i have been keeping reptiles ever since i was a little kid. i have mostly kept lizards and some tortoises. you are acting like i am some 16 year old who should have gotten a ball python or a cornsnake but guess again. i am 22 years old and i have been breeding lizards and tortoises since i was a literal kid alongside my dad.

i have gila monsters and beaded lizards that came from the Angeli and Seaward line and we have been breeding them for the past 7 years.

i have experience in handling large constrictors from my friends, i put down over a hundred hours helping out at my father's colleagues facility handling retics, anacondas, afrocks and
burmese pythons.

yes a retic was my first snake, but it's not like i didn't do my research.

calling me a retard? you are just projecting your own insecurities and inexperience in the reptile world so go ahead and say whatever you want about me (I mean, about yourself).
the reticulated python i acquired 3 months ago is doing very well
>>
>>2388153
>Kept a couple of lizards and a tortoise
>Time to get a 25 foot snake, a 20 foot snake and a 400 pound snake
>>
>>2388155
actually we have kept over 20 species of lizards and 4 species of tortoises.

if you knew anything about the lizard species i mentioned (you clearly don't btw) you would know that they are not just a couple of lizard species, they are venomous which require more knowledge than someone like you could ever muster up or feign on 4chan.

the beautiful thing about reticulated pythons or any reptiles or snakes for that matter is you can always acquire an established hatchling (as retics come in an egg) rather than a fully grown adult. in fact, the ignorant behavior this anon is displaying is exactly the kind of behavior newspaper journalists like to prop up and sensationalize while demonizing large constrictors.

i would like to kindly request you to keep taking good care of your cornsnake, ball python, rosy boa, bearded dragon and/or leopard gecko and leave the large constrictors to who can take good care of them (Someone like me).

You're welcome.
>>
>>2388159
Yeah, a lot of people are killed by gila monsters.
I was saying you're going to be totally overwhelmed.
>>
>>2388161
no as neurotoxic gila monster are, they do not cause a lot of fatalities. you're an idiot if you believe what you are saying and you're an idiot if you can't deliver sarcasm properly. you're an idiot either way.

if you're such an idiot that everything in the world is as black and white as you think it is, I feel sorry for you and anyone who has to put up with your sense of arrogance that is exceedingly and obviously unwarranted.

the only thing overwhelming here is your lack of substance.
>>
>>2388165
Nobody is killed by gila monsters.
It's a very slow, dim-witted lizard.
That's not experience worth anything with a giant, fast and very intelligent python.
Please never suggest anyone get a giant python as a first snake. You validate bad ideas new keepers have. Tell them to get a boa first if they want to get into keeping large snakes.
>>
>>2388171
if you think gila monsters are slow and dim-witted it's obvious you have never been around one. they are the last thing from a slow creature during feeding times.. so that says something about your "experience" with them.

i never suggested or validated anything, you are reading into my words. i know people like you, the kind of people who watches trashy "snakebytestv" on youtube and think you know it all. if someone out there who has as much reptile experience and support i have, then may by all means get a hatchling reticulated python if they so desired.

go be a trigger happy snake justice warrior somewhere else, you inexperienced moron.
>>
>>2388175
So you dont see how just saying
>my first snake was a reticulated python 3 months ago
Doesnt paint a picture of some retard just buying a giant python with no experience because he thinks it's cool?
>>
>>2388177
the problem with what you are saying is, you are trying to create a narrative of someone who is inexperienced with reptiles buying a WC reticulated python as an impulse at a reptile show. maybe you should work on your reading comprehension before you get frothy mouthed about someone else's choice in reptiles.

yes, i chose a reticulated python because i think it's cool. i find it funny you say that with a trace of conviction like there's something wrong with thinking the reptile you purchase is cool.

you're not bringing anything meaningful or insightful to the discussion here. all you're doing is virtue signalling, nothing else.

you're cutting into my day here so fuck off
>>
File: IMG_3671.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3671.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2387119
I caught a rubber boa today
>>
>>2388193
Are you going to keep it?
>>
>>2388153
Is this the new Navy Seal copypasta?
>>
>>2387138
OP just learned about them in 6th grade science and thought:

>I got to show all my cool 4chan friends these things, because I just learned about them, so must've they.
>>
>>2388316
Yes.
>>
File: 1405905581054.png (1MB, 962x985px) Image search: [Google]
1405905581054.png
1MB, 962x985px
>>2388153
>>
File: Heck off.jpg (53KB, 480x643px) Image search: [Google]
Heck off.jpg
53KB, 480x643px
>>2388175
>>2388179

>blah blah blah blah
>keep your pleb herps away from me you you filthy novice

Why does it always have to devolve into this? Some swinging their "superior experience penis" around and putting down people in a generalized rant who may like lower experience herps, not because they are the "cool, edgy dangerous" reps but because they are fun to raise.
>>
>>2388204
Unfortunately it's illegal to keep native snakes where I am i have a sand boa though
>>
>>2388153
yeah congratz. that doesn't mean you should keep wild caught animals retard
>>
>>2388171
>gila monsters
>dim-witted
kill yourself
>>
>>2388116
because they have way more personality than pythons
>>
>>2388070
>>2388114
I actually kinda already knew that...I kept the snake for a while so my gf could see it, and she named it Olive and stated if I wasn't keeping it she was. She was going to get ribbon snakes, but liked the ring neck better. She didn't have a tank set up, so I'm caring for it. I'm not even a snake person, I like amphibians lol
>>
>>2388193
lucky I lived in Santa Cruz for 4 years and never managed to find one
>>
There's a lil blue bellied lizard that lives right outside my door in the bushes. Thinking of capturing him. I hear they can carry salmonella on them. Will that go away with time or is it a permanent attribute?
>>
>>2388897
pretty much all reptiles have the possibility to carry salmonella
just dont touch shit and then put your hand in your mouth
also dont catch wild animals for pets
>>
>>2388897
Always wash hands after touching reptiles and amphibians. They aren't major carriers, it's about the same as handling raw chicken. For the lizard's benefit it's also preferable to wash before as well.

Don't mess with wild fauna though.
>>
File: SAM_2007.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2007.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2387119
Edna
>>
File: nigga.png (212KB, 343x314px) Image search: [Google]
nigga.png
212KB, 343x314px
>>2387131
>>
>>2388897
hes happy as is, leave him be
if you want to attempt to earn its trust with food, then you can see it all the time
>>
File: Untitled.png (2MB, 1724x701px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 1724x701px
Guys what is this thing? I really want one suddenly.
>>
>>2389032
Savannah monitor
do you have the space for 3-5 foot lizard?
do you have the money for food and vet bills?
>>
>>2389046
Purrhaps someday
>>
>>2389057
theyre really cool for sure
but yeah wait for it, otherwise itll be bad for the both of you
>>
>>2387119
Hey /an/, I have a read tail boa that's about 3-4 years old, and I know that every snake grows at a different rate, but the little guy either eats every week or every week and a half and he's still only about 3 feet plus a few inches. Am I just over worried or is he kinda small for his age and eating habit?
>>
>>2387246
>>2387213
>>2387147
Same here, I went to the keys and the place I was staying at's owner loved reptiles so he had a group of 10+ that would chill around the pool with people and eat near anything tossed at them. Oh and they weren't supposed to get into the pool nor did they very often but when they did he'd come fish them out with a net which was hilarious.
Sorry not my blog you guys just reminded me about those cute fuckers in Florida.
>>
>>2387149
Cuban anole. Take a regular anole, add a chameleon's independently moving eyes, make it about as big 'length wise not girth or weight' of a beardie, and make it as mean as a male iguana that was abused it's whole life, and bam! Cuban anole.
All seriousness, they really haven't been domesticated at all, the ones that have been moved into the pet trade are all dicks (that I know of) and they're pretty but basically known for being assholes.
>>
File: IMG_20170506_131654_213.jpg (97KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170506_131654_213.jpg
97KB, 600x800px
Can we talk about alligators?

I love gators
>>
>>2387603
This
>>2387716
For rock iguanas anyway. Had a friend who had one. Cage was essentially a walk in closed sized area of a room dedicated to the animal, and he still let him out all the time because they need to roam.
>>
>>2388153
Listen, I'm happy for you. I'm just saying that even though you have a ton experience handling them, owning a giant snake (or one that will get giant) is a lot different than handling and helping with one. That's all I'm saying, again I'm happy for you and I hope everything goes great, just maybe wait a little but before you get another? Just an idea.
>>
>>2387119
Quick Leopard gecko question.
Everyone says that so long as you have one male or less you can keep them together, but I know from experience that just because animals can live together does not mean that they like it. So how is that with Leos? Do they legitimately not care (they seem rediculously docile) or should I stick to one per tank even though they're both female?
>>
>>2388336
>Unfortunately
Nah it's a good thing, same where I live, it helps protect wild pops and prevents people from catching a snake, bringing it home, it catching a disease from someone's other, captive bred snake, they release it, the disease spreads, etc. I'm not implying that you yourself are incapable of caring for a wild caught, in just saying that there are good reasons for those laws.
>>
>>2388897
See
>>2389166
Also, while you shouldn't catch and keep wild snakes either, wild lizards are even worse, they stress much much easier and thus die much, much easier.
>>
>>2389157
I love gators! My hope one day is to have enough land to either have or build a man-made pond or small lake that would attract 1-3 (or more) for American alligators (i live in Georgia). I used to live on a 19 acre farm and our neighbor had a huge natural lake in part of his 20 or so acres next to us and they had a group of about 5 gators that would come and go (mostly stay there constantly in the summer).
>>
>>2388498
Well let it go either way. It is not fair to the animal to keep it as a pet when it is already used to a free life outside. It's similar to that twilight episode where the man goes to mars and becomes an exhibit for all the martians. What I'm saying is have some empathy.

Your gf can buy a domesticated snake from a reputable breeder.
>>
>>2389204
>domesticated snake
get a load of this retard
>>
>>2388978
Comfy sleeping position. My geckos do the same. Their ideas of what constitutes a comfortable spot and physical orientation to sleep in are endlessly baffling.
>>
>>2389162
They don't socialize, as such. While two female leos can live peacefully together it isn't a natural situation you're putting them in. And there is always the possibility they will bully each other over access to food and favorite spots in the tank. It's better to keep them in separate tanks.
>>
File: IMG_20170506_131700_554.jpg (48KB, 408x565px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170506_131700_554.jpg
48KB, 408x565px
>>2389173
That's actually exactly my plan but in East Texas. Then I don't have to go to the park to watch them swim around or bask in the sun. I love gators too
>>
>>2389166
I'd say its almost like a hidden law though, people who know more about reptiles aren't going to keep native ones because they know the law exists while people who might not know as much might've never heard of the law
>>
File: IMG_3038.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3038.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2389151
Is it a dwarf boa, common boa, or BCC? Red tail is a misnomer, and doesn't really tell us what it is.

A dwarf that is 3' at 3-4 years old is right on track. If it's a Colombian, it's a little small, but nothing major. It's possible the age could be a bit off or it has some dwarf in its lineage.

What size meal is he eating? At 3-4 years old he should be eating an appropriately-sized meal every 3-4 weeks, even if he is small (assuming he has a good body tone). Do you have some full body pictures of him?

Pic is my 3'-3.5' 2 year old sunglow. She currently gets a weaned rat every 2 weeks, but will be moved to 3 weeks next month. She also ate every 4 weeks from Nov-Feb iirc, and will be completely fasted this coming winter. She's about 500 grams.
>>
>>2389173
>>2389215
I to have this desire and is the pretty much only reason I want my own house/land
And since im in louisiana I could probably just get one to randomly move in but I would prefer to fence it off for a hatchling I raised
>>
File: IMG_20170524_155321247.jpg (4MB, 2592x4608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170524_155321247.jpg
4MB, 2592x4608px
>>2387119
ID this baby snek for me. I believe it's a milk snake but never can be completely sure when a snake is this tiny. Gave me a fright when it lunged at my hand while rearranging the garden rock wall.
>>
File: IMG_3099.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3099.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>2389264
>>2389264
I don't know what he is specifically, common, bcc or dwarf.
This pic is roughly 3 months old but I'm not home so I can't take one, he really hasn't changed in size since then.
He eats large mice or very small weaned rats.
>>
>>2389212
Thank you, now would it be ok/as good as separate tanks if I get a 20 gallon that's mostly length and with instead of any real depth, with two hides minimum on each side etc?
>>
>>2389205
Not even that anon but is 'captive bred' better for you?
>>
>>2389302
Where do you live/did you find it?
>>
>>2389320
Forgot to mention that. Pennsylvania, specifically the Pocono mountain range. Like I said was rearranging the rock wall when the lil bugger lunged at my hand from under a leaf under the rock I was lifting.

Also under the rock right next to that one was a ring necked garter snake. So two sneks today in the garden.
>>
>>2388897
don't keep wild animals as pets. why the hell is this so hard for people to understand?
>>
>>2388498
fuck off damn put it back in the wild not give it to another person. goddamn this board makes me livid. might as well rename it to /an/ - animal abuse
>>
>>2389157
I've gotten to hold little couple year old captive bred gators before. they're so cute
>>
>>2389302
Looks like a corn snake
>>
>>2389405
sorry I just got grumpy today. I shouldn't be this upset
>>
>>2389316
Can you get a photo of his from the top with the snake on a flag surface?
He's BCI for sure, from his markings he looks like he could possibly be a crawl cay/crawl cay cross
>>
is there a snake feeding guide?
for example, i currently feed my 10-month old sand boa a pinky mouse once a wee (Monday morning). however, when should i up the size, or increase/decrease the frequency? i've noticed him sometimes waiting up, with his head out of the aspen, Tuesday and Wednesday mornings (he is usually underground at this time). when i move my finger near the tank, he becomes very alert and starts flicking his tongue
>>
>>2389479
feed prey items approximately the same width as the widest point of the snake
if you feed the right size once a week to once every other week is fine
>>
File: IMG_3135.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3135.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2389316
Definitely a common boa, I see no reason to suspect Crawl Cay cross as another user suggested. Crawl Cay's are extremely unique in appearance, and they are a rare locality so little to no one would taint the gene pool by mixing them with Colombian.

It's hard to tell what size he is in that picture, but he APPEARS to be bigger than 3'. Here is my 4' male for comparison's sake, if that will help you pinpoint a size.
>>
>>2389151
its likely its a male, they're typically on the smaller side
but maybe you just got the runt of the litter
if his weight and body tone are good there's just not much to be done about it
>>
Have a quick Turtle question
I have a male Red Eared Slider and want to get a second turtle but a different species, what other common turtle is a good companion?
Also I'm going to get it as a baby and let it grow up in a different tank until it's big enough before putting them together
>>
>>2389641
if its not the same species dont put them together
I believe that turtles are somewhat gregarious but only with their own species
I also don't believe you have a 200+ gallon tank lying around to comfortably house two adult turtles
>>
i looked under my sandboa's tank and there was something like a trail of something that glows in the dark. what the hell is this? urine? vomit? semen? i never noticed it before
>>
>>2389317
I'm not entirely sure I understand your question. 20g long is appropriate tank size for a single leo.
>>
>>2389302
Eastern milksnake. Lampropeltis triangulum triangulum.
>>
>>2389641

It is possible to keep different species together, provided you have the space and them having the same or similar habitat requirements as well as reasonable accommodations. (Bottom walkers will drown in a deep water tank if there's nothing to climb up to the surface for a breather)

However, red eared sliders are notorious for being the dicks of the turtle world (they grow big and are fairly aggressively territorial, which is why they're so good at being invasive species, along with being stupidly hardy) so it is more likely for them to bully more timid species. Though turtles vary through individuals so you may have one that's psychotic or chill as fuck, so it's a gamble.

Overall unless you have the space for two full grown turtles and have a contingency plan if it doesn't work out, it's better to not risk it
>>
File: 1488223834785.jpg (2MB, 6000x6000px) Image search: [Google]
1488223834785.jpg
2MB, 6000x6000px
I bought my res some guppys and he only eats certain colored one? He ate a black one and a yellow one but theres 3 red one that he just chills with. I just wish hed stop eating all the females before they spawn
>>
>>2389815
It's like m&ms
>>
>>2389672
Snaketoplasm
>>
>>2389678
Wat I thought, thanks for confirming.
>>
My husband and my first RES hatchling died today. We just got back from a six-day trip or so where a petsitter had been taking care of him and our dog and cat. We thought if we did a water change before and after he'd be fine. No real signs of respiratory illness. Water's nitrate was a bit high when we got back but we did a water change and corrected it quickly- he just never seemed to bounce back.
In looking around online he always seemed like he was a little paler than most pictures of hatchlings- very green instead of yellowish or brown, and his patches on his head were orange instead of red.
I'm trying to figure out if it was us that fucked up somewhere, whether in going so long between water changes or nutritional problems or if he was just unhealthy.

About two inches in shell length, 60 gallon tank with about 20-30 gallons of water, basking platform, UV and heat lamp, Reptomin sticks specifically for hatchlings was his primary diet. Partial water changes every week.

Did we fuck up somewhere? Advice would be appreciated
>>
>>2389672
Ammonia glows under a blacklight.
Looks like it's time to change part of the substrate.
>>
>>2389966
pellets are shit food. should have gotten a proper varied diet
>>
>>2389974
A lot of what I read online said the Reptomin sticks as a commercial diet are good for young turtles like RES. What else would have been best? We tried giving him some small things like shaved bits of carrots and romaine and a few feeder guppies but he didn't display interest.
>>
>>2389984
blood worms, earthworms, daphnia, shrimp, gammarus, clam meat, mealworms, wax worms, crickets, locusts, roaches, dead fish
>>
>>2389650
>>2389799
Would he still be aggressive towards a Yellow Bellied Slider or a RES morph? I mean they are similar enough right?
>>
File: IMG_3153.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3153.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Can anyone help me identify if my Leo is a morph and if so narrow it down to what kind?
>>
File: IMG_3154.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3154.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2390032
>>
File: IMG_3155.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3155.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2390034
>>
File: IMG_3156.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3156.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2390035
>>
>>2389583
Shit I think you're right, he looks to be about the same size as yours so he may be much closer to 4 feet
>>2389613
It's definitely a male, and his weight and tone are great so I guess I just worry too much haha.
Thanks anons.
>>
>>2389641
I had two red eared sliders and a yellow river cooter in the same tank, and they never had issues with each other, but I got them all as quarter sized babies so they grew up together. But you'll need a gigantic tank, twice the filtration (in other words, say now you have a 60 gallon tank, you need 120 gallons worth of filtration) and even then it's a ton of work. If you're dedicated to it though and are willing to invest the time and money, I say go for it, but if your turtle is older than 6 months I'd get a same species tankmate.
>>
>>2389677
Sorry I worded that horribly, if I had 20 gallons worth of tank for each Leo, as in a 40 gallon long, would the two be equally comfortable as they would each having their own 20 gallon? As long as they each have their own hides on each side, etc etc.
>>
>>2390038
Theres a link in the op that shows how to measure snakes. Try using that.
>>
>>2390036
It's a baby. You probably won't be able to tell for a while until it' a young adult. Their patterns and other traits change over their lives
>>
>>2389815
we had a guy in our store who wanted like 50 goldfish but they had to be orange because his turtle only eats the orange ones
>>
>>2390063
>using goldfish as feeders
what an idiot
>>
>>2390065
yeah its pretty bullshit but we dont carry enough guppies to use them as feeders
are minnows any better? because we sell those as feeders too
>>
File: IMG_20170525_151437.jpg (312KB, 1605x1744px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170525_151437.jpg
312KB, 1605x1744px
Hognose feeding. Just figured I'd dump a few picks on feeding day besides the BP being in knots.
>>
File: IMG_20170525_151505.jpg (666KB, 2529x2108px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170525_151505.jpg
666KB, 2529x2108px
And last one. Daughters king.
>>
>>2390076
Minnows are pretty shit too.
>>
>>2390057
Cool thanks
>>
>>2390032
Well I can tell you what it isn't. Not a hypo because of all the black bits. Not an albino. Otherwise yeah you need to wait a year or so to get an idea with mystery hatchlings. My shot in the dark guess is either a normal or a mack snow.
>>
>>2389966
I'm sorry for your loss, your husband sounded like a great man.
>>
>>2388965
I catch native fish for my tanks. You mad? For real though lots of reptiles in the trade are wild caught. Believe it or not.
>>
I'm a bad father. I think I've spoiled my leopard gecko. I gave him tobacco hornworms and now he's refusing all other feeders. Is there anything nutritionally wrong with using hornworms as a staple diet? Or should I hold out on his picky ass until he eats his superworms? (Tried crickets, he just looks at me like, "da fuq is this", and Dubias are illegal)
>>
>>2390282
Wild caught reptiles are a pretty small minority now.
Fish are very different than reptiles. You're still a bad owner though.
>>
>>2390282
slightly
I am 100% against using wc animals for anything beyond starting breeding groups/research
Its also why I only buy from breeders instead of shitty places like underground reptiles or backwater reptiles
>>
>>2390297
>Is there anything nutritionally wrong with using hornworms as a staple diet?

No, they're top tier nutritious feeder. Only reason they aren't commonly used as a staple is cost.
>>
>>2390297

Where are you located? Just asking because dubias are illegal. I know a lot of types of roaches that are usable in areas where some are illegal.
>>
>>2390375

Just wanted to tag onto you.

Agreed. And generally they are about a buck a piece. Sometimes 50 cents if you do large orders. The problem is they grow so fast your gecko wouldn't be able to eat them all before they got too big I'd reckon.

Also that's part of why the price is high, because they become beasts. I'd say try butterworms or silkworms but again costly so not worth it. Especially since silkworms don't offer live guarantee and butters are costly since they are only exported after being sterilized.
>>
File: 20170526_135122.jpg (2MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170526_135122.jpg
2MB, 2160x2160px
>>2389583
Depends where in the world you're from. There are a large number of Crawl Cay, Hog Island and other locality boas in the UK.
And because there's so many and some people get hold of them without realising what they are unfortunately they do end up being crossed.
This is the pattern in my pure Crawl Cay, the tail we is at the front with the upper end towards to back.
The mottled pattern on the tail end looks similar to me
>>
>>2390026
Again, depends on the individual temperament of the turtle but would be the better bet. Sliders and Cooters do cohabitate areas in the wild and not just places people dumped them in.

Just know without enough space to each call their own, the chances of fighting will increase
>>
File: tamed croc.jpg (48KB, 448x336px) Image search: [Google]
tamed croc.jpg
48KB, 448x336px
>>2389157
Just like this anon,i absolutely adore alligators.
But i've started thinking about them a bit more after finding out about a domesticated fox experiment from Russia.
Basically,they took wild foxes and bred only the passive and tame ones until they got pet foxes that wanted human companionship.
Would it be theoretically possible with alligators or crocs? There are hundreds of videos showing that they are very intelligent and even train-able somewhat. Could a similar experiment be conducted but with alligators instead? I feel like having a big trained gator would be quite awesome,also i find them pretty cute.
>>
>>2390548
no
>>
>>2390552
I don't know, man.
There was that crocodile Pocho.
And there's a woman with multiple saltwater crocs in her house with a youtube channel:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VcUMKQB3Yw
>>
>>2390548
I on the other hand wish there was an type of crocodilian that grows maybe up to the size of a bearded dragon or smaller which can simply be kept in an aquarium. Dwarf Caimans are smaller but still too big
>>
>>2390556
I mean that would really take the kick out of the thrill of having a "crocodile pet",imagine a nile crocodile the size of a bearded dragon that weighs ~ 5 pounds or less. It would be awfulllllllly cute,though.
>>
>>2390548
You're are talking about breeding millions of year of killer instincts out of an ancient animal. Foxes are different because there intelligence is different, Alligators and Crocodiles they dont have that type of intelligence.
>>
>>2390559
Maybe,but i don't agree about the "intelligence" part,Crocodiles are by all means seriously smart,they can be "gentle" when they have to,for example when protecting their young in their mouths. And even these current normal crocodiles with their "killer instinct" have shown a number of cases where they are "domesticated" in their own way.
I don't think you watched the youtube video i linked.
>>
>>2390561
You have no idea what you are talking about. kys
>>
>>2390562
Wow,how intelligent!
Tell me to kill myself!
Seriously, are you underage?
Or just extremely frustrated?
>>
File: 1486867669946.jpg (222KB, 494x494px) Image search: [Google]
1486867669946.jpg
222KB, 494x494px
>>2390563
Clueless idiot getting triggered over being called out on his retarded fantasy.
>>
>>2390566
I'm simply stating what i believe is possible.
Instead of debunking what i'm saying with actual links and facts,you're calling me a triggered idiot and telling me to kill myself.
I think you're extremely clueless on how "triggered" you're coming off as.
Good job,insulting someone you don't know over the internet.
>>
File: 1401665613716.jpg (25KB, 500x347px) Image search: [Google]
1401665613716.jpg
25KB, 500x347px
>>2390570
I can take solace in the fact that "what you believe is possible" will never ever happen. Go suck a fat one you fag.
>>
>>2390571
Great!
Hopefully that works out for you.
>>
>>2390546
I recently recived quite a bit of money and am going to buy a new large tank 120-200g and use my turltes old tank to hold the new baby until he's a good size. Maybe slowly introduce them to each other like dogs
>>
Hey /herp/ what are some vegetarian lizards for beginners? I have no problem raising crickets for the occasional protein that most veggie eating lizards need, I'd just prefer not too do it. I have about 1500+ to spend, and another 2500+ for possible medical bills. However, I will of course continue to save money just in case I ever need more to pay the vet bills. I live in Los Angeles, so there are exotic vets here, and the climate is mild.
Also if anyone here as caresheet pdf's solely for vegetarian lizards that'd be great.
>>
>>2390639
What I mean about the cricket thing is like bugs kind of gross me out so if there is a lizard that can survive on primarily veggies with the occasional bug I am okay with it, as long as I don't need to feed it bugs every meal.
>>
File: 571638.jpg (935KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
571638.jpg
935KB, 1600x1200px
>>2390639
Some species of uromastyx is probably your best bet. Purely herbivore, calm and could get a nice spacious enclosure with your budget.

Other options would be Crested Geckos, who eat mostly Repashy/Pangea as adults with occasional insects being recommended, or green iguanas, who get huge and are high maintenance.
>>
>>2390561
>they can be "gentle" when they have to,for example when protecting their young in their mouths.

Parental Instinct. It's not like they are choosing to be gentle, it is literally their instinct to do that because it guarantees the highest rate of survival for the baby crocs. You are antropomorphizing them with feelings and emotions they just don't have. The croc in that video has obviously determined it is a safe place to find food and shelter, thats it.
>>
>>2390643
>Some species of uromastyx is probably your best bet.
Alright cool I actually didn't know about these type of lizards, I'll read up on them. Thanks anon!
>>
>>2390643

note uro's will go crazy happy if you give them a cricket.
>>
File: IMG_0194.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0194.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>2390648
They're awesome. The set up is kinda expensive as they need a biggish tank at least 40 gallons and like 2 lamps one of which is pretty expensive, because their basking spot has to be like 120 degrees but once you have them set up the only upkeep is buying them nice veggies

I give mine collards, boo Choy, escarole, and stuff like that so it does cost a bit but it's much nicer than dealing with smelly loud crickets

Note: They are reasonably calm and don't bite, but they don't necessarily like being held all that much. Mine tolerates it a bit and then he gets stressed out and tries to run away. So take that as you will you probably won't wanna handle it every single day
>>
>>2390655
>So take that as you will you probably won't wanna handle it every single day
I'm okay with that, I very much like too observe lizards as well.
>The set up is kinda expensive as they need a biggish tank at least 40 gallons and like 2 lamps one of which is pretty expensive
Yeah I'm not too worried about cost yet, although this would be my first lizard, I have always been interested about them in general.
Anyways, anon I just got a few questions if You don't mind.
How often do you go to the market to buy veggies for your uromastyx?
Once a week, or few times a week?
Do they eat a lot?
What's the best way to create an enclosure that will simulate their natural surroundings in the wild?
>>
File: waffle.jpg (759KB, 2373x3163px) Image search: [Google]
waffle.jpg
759KB, 2373x3163px
>>2390667
I go to the market usually around twice a week. Really just depends on how long the vegetables I got last, if they go bad then I go get more. They eat a decent amount, usually like two or 3 handfuls of leaves in a little tray is good for the day.

For the enclosure, first of all it has to be very dry. No humidity, that gives them tail rot and other problems. They don't even need a water bowl. The most you do is drip some water on their veggies once in a while, that's all the water they need. In the cage you want to have at least 2 or 3 hides for it to choose from, which should usually be snug because they like to cram themselves into small dark spaces. Substrate should be either some sort of seed that they can eat, or something that they can't ingest at all, (not sand). Lastly, they just need a basking spot or surface, usually a large flat rock directly under the heat lamp. A lot of people have it elevated on other rocks or a little mountain of some sort so it's closer to the lamp for maximum heat. Other than that, I can't really think of anything else that's needed for the enclosure.

They're pretty simple and fairly forgiving. The main thing to check is that the basking spot gets to appropriate temperatures before you bring it home using a thermometer or heat gun, and that the lamp gives uvb lightrays I use this thing https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AQDJ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Other than that there is a good amount of wiggle room so good luck if you do decide to get one
>>
>>2390676
Wow thanks for the info man.
>Substrate should be either some sort of seed that they can eat
I eat a lot of lentils so I always have some around the house, are they safe for uromastyx?
sorry for all these questions m8 I'm just very intrigued right now, these lizards are so beautiful.
Your uromastyx is beautiful anon, what species is it? also are there species which are better suited to keep as pets?
>>
>>2389878
kek
>>
>>2390683

mali uromastyx is a good easy one
>>
>>2390683
They're definitely safe for uromastyx, mine loves to eat them so I throw them in with his salad. Idk how they would do as a substrate, you could always try., but you'd need a shitload of lentils to cover a 40gal cage. They might also be too large for a substrate. Mines Uromastyx geri, as are most of them. The ornate ones and Mali ones look a bit prettier I think, but they can all be pretty spectacular if you get the right one. You can also try your hand at getting a giant egyptian one, but you need a huge cage for that.
>>
>>2390696
>They're definitely safe for uromastyx, mine loves to eat them so I throw them in with his salad. Idk how they would do as a substrate, you could always try., but you'd need a shitload of lentils to cover a 40gal cage.
I see. I also happen to eat a lot of quinoa, have you had any luck with that? I buy in bulk so price is not really an issue here.
>Uromastyx geri, as are most of them
Alright cool, I'll read up on this species in particular.
Although I'm assuming since these are desert faring lizards that they all sort of share the same diet/habitat?
>>
File: IMG_20170521_164225.jpg (1MB, 2822x3006px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170521_164225.jpg
1MB, 2822x3006px
>>2390701

Here is my Mali Uromastyx.

He has millet substrate. It doesn't have any issues. It's a fairly hollow and soft seed so if he eats it he digest and poops it out no issue. (I know he has because he often skitters some in his bowl).

Several people I know use it and it's a good option. Usually places like farm and seed carry big bags cheap.

Lentils are great. I just take a handful and put it in his flat bowl then use a lot of water. They soak it in and soften up and he eats them.

My guy unfortunately doesn't really like greens offered. He mainly does lentils.

I handle mine maybe once every few weeks and that's just to check him to feel his weight and make sure he is doing well. I worry about dehydration since he doesn't like his greens but he has been good for all the time I have had him.

He isn't really social but I believe he is a WC when I got him from a re-home situation.

Just tossing in how things go for me for you to look over.
>>
Does anyone have any past experiences with axolotls? I read a bunch of conflicting things about how to take care of them, from sand, no sand, heat/no heat, and no filtering or lighting.
>>
>>2390753
I wouldnt suggest sand
Heat depends where you live but they need to be kept relatively cold compared to tropical fish
I would recommend a weakish filter that doesnt disturb the water much
No clue on lighting
I've never owned one but did do a bit of research before coming to the realization its too hot where i live and I dont want to dump the money on a water chiller
>>
What are the most intelligent reptiles (that are not birds)?
>>
>>2390904
monitor lizards
>>
>>2390639

Blue tongue skinks also fit the bill. They are omnivorous but the protein part of their diet does not have to be live insects. For protein you can do things like Repashy Grub Pie, boiled chicken, hardboiled eggs, canned snails and silkworms, etc.
>>
>>2390933
Yeah, and if you're going to feed cat food do it sparingly and only really good stuff like wellness. Not dog food.
It makes them fat.
Other cat food and dog food is really bad for them.
>>
>>2390640
Don't be a pussy, Crickets are cool, they chirp and remind one of nature and camping. How can someone hate crickets, they bring back memories of camping, meadows, fields and beautiful places.
Dubia roach enclosures smell better though, very earthy
>>
>>2390939
I know dog and cat food shows up on the BTS care sheets but I try to avoid recommending it as part of their diet. There are equal price or cheaper options that are healthier.
>>
File: IMG_20170526_143222.jpg (570KB, 1728x2880px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170526_143222.jpg
570KB, 1728x2880px
My gargoyle. Female I think because the other one I have of the same size has a bigger ''bulge''
all 4 of my gargoyles are juvies though, haven't bred these yet. This ones my favourite because she will never stop eating if I hand feed her and never gets stressed (I assume because she's always down to be hand fed)
>>
>>2390941

Fuck crickets. I was fine with using them for some years until I had a couple males escape on me. Chirps at all hours of the day for WEEKS until i found them.
>>
>>2390944
I like cricket chirping. Just relax and imagine your camping. I would think if it bothers you, other things are stressing you out
>>
>>2390946
>>2390946
I mean, sorry to get analytical, but as far as I know that's basic psychology
>>
File: IMG_20170526_143235.jpg (196KB, 1702x1122px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170526_143235.jpg
196KB, 1702x1122px
>>2390943
>>
roaches > crickets desu
>>
>>2390942
The best care sheet is on bluetongueskinks.net
Really good care sheet, people are really nice there but don't hesitate to point out bad care either.
It's been a while since I researched BTS but from what I remember it said not to feed dog food and only a few very top tier types of cat food were acceptable as a treat
>>
>>2390943
>>2390955
I can tell its very pretty but maybe take a picture with not a potato
>>
>>2390375
>0379
They are very nutritious but a little too fattening for a staple. If you feed a lot of them, it will probably be fine, just be mindful of your geckos weight. It's better to feed variety though
>>
>>2390946
have you ever had crickets chirp in your room dude? they're really loud
I have never heard one as loud camping as one in my house
>>
>>2390993
I could get a gecko, cage decor, or usb bulbs and light fixtures instead of getting an actual camera though. I spend all my money on reptiles
>>
>>2391017
*uvb bulbs
>>
File: WP_20170526_20_29_46_Pro.jpg (4MB, 5376x3024px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170526_20_29_46_Pro.jpg
4MB, 5376x3024px
I've been working on Styrofoam for the tank, it's a work in progress. Going to have alot more.
>>
File: WP_20170526_20_30_02_Pro.jpg (4MB, 5376x3024px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170526_20_30_02_Pro.jpg
4MB, 5376x3024px
>>2391109
other half of the tank
>>
>>2390996
Not that anon but i have a colony of crickets in its third generation and they arent bad at all
Idk if its the sterilite tub muffling the noise but it is really low.
And i get escapees once a week or so
>>
>>2391109
>>2391111
How are you going to keep the small pieces from getting everywhere? Won't that be a problem for your reptile?
>>
>>2391166
Everything is being grouted at the end friend.
>>
>>2391232

Nicr make sure to show your final build. I have big piece I need to finish up for my dragon. But I do plaster o Paris and grout myself. Just seems to be better for me. I often had just grout crack but I am also a retard.

What kind of grout do you use? I assume sanded grout? But brand wise I am curious.
>>
>>2391232
Okay.
I'm jealous, because I can't do anything similar for my sand boa since it won't care.
>>
>Blood python both refused food and shed perfectly today
I'm not sure whether I should worry or not. He's not underweight anymore so it won't hurt him to skip a week but I can't help but be concerned.
>>
File: WP_20170524_13_20_45_Pro.jpg (4MB, 5376x3024px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170524_13_20_45_Pro.jpg
4MB, 5376x3024px
>>2391251
Of course. I don't frequent these threads as much as I used to but I'm still around.

Whatever works for you. I find it easier just with the Styrofoam and grout

I use non-sanded grout from home depot. It cracks less and works out better for these projects. You just need to know what you're doing
>>
>>2391263
These kind of setups are for lizards and geckos
>>
File: SAM_2028.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_2028.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2390908
Edna prairie dog'n
>>
>>2391365
you left a cat in your cage
>>
>>2391109
Is this safe for a tank that's sorta humid and warm?
>>
>>2391375

Can be. You have to seal correctly for water proofing.
>>
File: foto_no_exif (79).jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
foto_no_exif (79).jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
she does not eat :(
>>
>>2391557
Why the fuck are you keeping her on rocks?
>>
>>2391557
How long has she been not eating?
>>
>>2391557
Looks like a healthy weight to me.
>>
>>2391566
Nothing wrong with it
>>
>>2391557
still looks healthy to me, keep an eye on that tail
when the tail gets skinny you have a problem

if you dont have a scale to weigh her on, you should get one
>>
File: IMG_20170527_140814.jpg (2MB, 3972x2517px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170527_140814.jpg
2MB, 3972x2517px
Just took these guys in today as a local rescue.

This pic may not show well enough but they are both underweight (more noticeable when held vs when they are pancaked).

They are also both fairly dehydrated and the female (on left) has some bad scabbing from running. Luckily I have some ointment that is for reptiles and safe to clear that up or at least help it heal as best as possible.

They gobbled down a ton of food. I actually held back for now since they were so hungry they could hurt themselves.

Hope these guys rebound quickly. I'll toss out a few updates as they progress.
>>
>>2391793

I forgot to note they are now separated and off sand. They are clutch mates and the person had them live together constantly and let them breed each other. Luckily she never tried to incubate the eggs or anything.
>>
File: IMG_4146.jpg (2MB, 3024x2848px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4146.jpg
2MB, 3024x2848px
Picked up a Sonoran Desert Toad at a reptile show. I've always been interested in these toads, not for the drug aspect but because I love giant frogs. She's my second frog after my giant African bullfrog.
I can't seem to find very detailed caresheets though. Any tips on how to keep her happy and healthy? She looks to be a bit underweight
>>
>>2391793
how do you tell if a beardie is underweight?
I mean they look terrible, but I can't tell they're underweight by looking at them
>>
>>2391832

Mainly it's based on feeling them. Their belly, skin, firmness, and their fat deposit areas. You can also weigh them and base it on their size but a actual hands on feel seems best to me. I have a scale but I haven't weighed them yet. Letting them chill out and settle in at the moment.

How do I describe how their bellies feel.. basically like a almost empty leather pouch. No firmness and their belly skin wraps/cradles your fingers. Basically no roundness or firmness. Im not a vet so this is more experience based off of handling good healthy bearded dragons who were not over weight in comparison. Basically they just feel more or less empty besides their organs.
>>
File: IMG_20170527_194723.jpg (3MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170527_194723.jpg
3MB, 3036x4048px
so everything in my tank was fine, just checked it again too. Had some poop and cleaned it but as i took her out she had these little flaked scales on her. Shes a banana ball python. Wasn't sure if it was just dried shedding or a burn from something. Appreciate any advice or suggestions thanks.
>>
>>2391942

It looks like a possible light burn or maybe a light case/beginning of scale rot.

I'd ask if she has a heat rock. Those are known to burn many reptiles. If so get rid of it and use a heatpad or even lightbulbs.

Also if no heat rock the brownish color makes me think of a small patch of scale rot. In which case Google that for care. When is the last time you fully cleaned her cage? Also if it's too humid of she spills and a lot of water that doesn't dry it can cause that to happen.

It could be a dry patch of skin looking brown because of her color maybe but that's not my first concern.
>>
>>2391959
its been a couple of weeks, and she has a heat pad but also a rock hide thats under a lamp.
Ill check for the rot just to make sure, thanks for the help.
>>
>>2391961

No problem and I just wanted to note (and if it's been a few weeks I'd say yes to a light case of scale rot starting up probably).

It's a fairly easy treatment, I am by all means an amateur or less compared to a vet if course.
>>
File: 1458444887662.gif (853KB, 346x313px) Image search: [Google]
1458444887662.gif
853KB, 346x313px
>>2391966
It's better safe than sorry. Plus dubs don't lie so thank you for the suggestions!
>>
I'm thinking of starting a communal garter snake setup.
What am i getting myself into?
>>
Can an African Bullfrog eat American toads or are they toxic to them?
>>
>>2392006
Why do you even want to do that?
>>
>>2392009
I am just curious
>>
>>2392013
I wouldnt risk it. Amphibians are generally pretty volitile to eachother
>>
>>2391996

In most cases a communal garter snake is fairly trouble free. Best to start out with two of same gender so you don't have breeding complications and all of that extra responsibility. There is always a chance that the two won't get along and you must be prepared to give them separate tanks if that turns out to be the case. However, garters being fairly social as snakes go, odds are good that it will work without issue.
>>
>>2392031
One thing about garters: make extra double sure you do thorough research on their feeding. A pinkie only diet is not optimal for them.
>>
>>2392031
That's good.
I was planning to get 2 different morphs of eastern garters and keeping them in a 40 together. I have a few smaller spares i keep as quarantines for my other snakes i can put any that dont like the others in.
I even have a chilly ass garage for brumation
>>
>>2392033
I was going to do feeder guppies, appropriately sized insects and mice once they're large enough to eat weaned ones.
>>
File: pogona-vitticeps.jpg (100KB, 537x414px) Image search: [Google]
pogona-vitticeps.jpg
100KB, 537x414px
Hey /an/, I have a question about beardies.
I've been holding off the thought of getting one because I heard they love to eat roaches, and I hate roaches to death, is there anything else that would keep them well fed besides hornworms?
>>
>>2391996
Possible cannibalization mainly, but you also won't be able to properly keep track of each individual's health. Even feeding them separately won't keep them from cannibalizing, as regurgitation could also result in a fight that could lead to cannibalization. Garters are not gregarious, they only live communally during the winter and the following breeding frenzy. The rest of the year they're loners.

Imo there's no reason to cohabitate snakes of any species, as the cons far outweigh the pros.
>>
>>2392124
I've never actually heard of an instance of eastern garters eating another snake.
Wandering garters will eat other snakes, but it's obviously beefier and better designed to eat snakes.

My interest in them is because of their seeming tolerance. I'd planned on heavy monitoring, separated feeding, and preparation to separate.
I was going to have at least 4 hides per snake, heavy foliage and a water fixture too. It's not a barebones setup where they will always be exposed to the other(s)
>>
>>2392108
nothing wrong with the right combination of crickets/superworms/hornworms/etc
>>
Do ACFs get stressed in big tanks? Most care sheets say you should have a minimum of 10gals per frog, but I want to have a 20gal for just one (and maybe a couple of snails). Would this be a problem?
Also, about the snails. I've read that some frogs will try to eat them, but most ignore them. Is there a certain size of snail that makes frogs more inclined to eat them?
>>
>>2392257
No, too big doesn't exist for herps. It's all a matter of decorating well enough to not have huge open areas.
>>
File: 1459682832118018164.jpg (28KB, 279x209px) Image search: [Google]
1459682832118018164.jpg
28KB, 279x209px
>>2392259
Cool, thanks. Then I could get it in an ever bigger tank in the future. I'm more used to researching on reptiles, and now I worry about the stress levels of every animal ever.
>>
File: foto_no_exif (64).jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
foto_no_exif (64).jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
picrel it is my another female leopard gecko

>>2391566
it is cheap

>>2391568
several months but she pooped recently so maybe she eats a bit (?)
>>
File: IMG_0456.jpg (2MB, 1532x2000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0456.jpg
2MB, 1532x2000px
found this guy out back the other day :^)
>>
>>2391557
She almost looks gravid. If she is that can mess with their appetite. Have checked her for eggs?
>>
>>2392273
Are you keeping them both in the same tank? Most people recommend against housing 2 Leos together because sometimes one will "bully" the other and keep it from eating.
>>
what are some good easy herps to breed for somebody trying to make some money? Bonus points if it can eat a lot of dubia roaches, lobster roaches, turkistan roach or discoid roaches as a staple but not a requirement by any means
Please don't give me grief about how ''I shouldn't own animals for the money''
Whenever I'm interested in a specific kind of herp I research it extensively to provide the proper care and I'm not the kind of person to put animals in small enclosures just so I can breed a lot of them

I enjoy keeping reptiles, but I just prefer them to give me something back in return as well, so I can afford to keep expanding my reptile collection and provide them all with better supplies and food
>>
>>2392569
Nice alligator lizard. I want to breed these but all herps are so rare in Canada especially if you aren't in Ontario, the reptile capital of Canada
If it ever shows up at a store I'll pick them up, if I'm lucky enough to have the money at the time
>>
>>2392808
You Americans are so damn lucky with all your legal feeder roaches and you can order any kind of reptile you want as long it exists in the pet trade
Sigh
I want to move to America
Better gun laws, self defence laws, freedom of speech, and better animal laws.
But I guess the scarcity of reptiles in Canada has it's pros for breeders like me
So many herps on my wish list I never see available or when they do show up once in a blue moon I'm unprepared financially
>>
>>2392803
.nothing that is easy will be good for making money. the market for beardies, ball pythons, and leos is saturated as fuck. Maybe you could breed monitors of some sort, but that requires a lot of know-how and experience. Maayyybe you could breed frogs, that might be simple. But I'm not sure of any particular frog that would be profitable besides those pretty dart frogs
>>
File: 1410286559993.png (223KB, 356x334px) Image search: [Google]
1410286559993.png
223KB, 356x334px
>>2392811
>I want to move to America
>Better gun laws, self defence laws, freedom of speech, and better animal laws.
epic, simply epic
>>
>>2392812
It seems Rhacodactylus are some of the easiest to breed and quite financially profitable since they are cheap to feed. I already have cresteds, which aren't too over saturated in my area but starting to be so that's why I'm also starting to collect Gargoyles which are very rare in these parts and looking/saving for all other rhacs which are ultra rare
other lizards on my wish list are pink tongued skinks, fire skinks, CB prehensile tailed skinks, blue tongued skinks (specifically northern), frilled dragons.
Yes, I'd love to get dart frogs when I have the money for a few and to set up a nice bioactive vivarium.
I do want to get a male ball python for my female just because, I've had her for like 6 years and I'm not getting rid of her ever (or any of my pets)
whites tree frogs would be cool to breed, but building a rain chamber intimidates me, I've never tried anything like that. Also, feeding a trillion froglets and making sure they are all eating well. I do have lots of roaches though
>>
>>2392819
Oh yeah, forgot for a second cresteis aren't rhacs anymore
>>2392817
You have no idea how gay and corrupt the laws really are in Canada. Not a shit post
>>
>>2392811
The reason for this being that ordering herps from America has a 700 USD minimum export fee, and it didnt used to be like a few years ago.
My mom sold most of my collection when I was in jail when I was a teenager and things weren't all smooth sailing from then on so I'm only starting to really get back into herps, and fuck, did things change
She sold tons of extremely rare reptiles for way to cheap
>>
>>2392825
I'm not a bad person but gay laws screwed me over
>>
>>2392803

None. Breeding reptiles for sale is a loss leader and a gamble that you will eventually manage to get big enough to turn a consistent profit. Very few people actually manage to be successful at it and market is heavily saturated on anything that is easy enough to take care of to sell to a decently large consumer base.
>>
>>2392828

Further to this, you have a better shot ramping up your roach breeding and selling those. There's less competition and good money can potentially be made.
>>
>>2392829
>>2392828
Well I'm in Canada, so the easy herps aren't that over saturated. For example Gargoyles are quite rare, and have a decent demand are of course easy
But even if I get some extra money to put towards my hobby, I'm happy
>>
>>2392829
I guess this could be furthered to breeding invertebrates. Less space and care requirements, usually faster life cycles, huge amounts of offspring.
>>
>>2392832
*demand and are of course
I already asked a few of the people I used to buy crested geckos off of if they would want gargoyles and most were interested
>>
>>2392832
>For example Gargoyles are quite rare

In Canada? No they aren't.
>>
>>2392833
Good idea. I've been wanting to get more into inverts. Thanks for reminding me.
I do want to breed a lot of feeders.
Crickets, meal worms and super worms are easy to breed. I want to try silk moths and hawk moths if I can pull it off
Stick insects would be easy and quite profitable
Mantids are awesome, so I'd love to get some as well
And roaches are illegal in Canada so whenever I put up roach ads I get tons of replies
>>
>>2392838
Yeah, they are hard to find from most provinces unless you order from northern gecko which sells them for really high prices

I phoned my local pet stores all year and picked up the only ones that showed up within a year
>>
>>2392840
The best pet store in my area (not the one I got them from) and does get some rare reptiles hasn't had any in many years and said they wouldn't be able to order them in
I'd say they are pretty rare considering all that, and only online store sells them
>>
>>2392841
*that does get some
not >and does
*and only one online store in the country
If you don't think they are rare, I bet you live in Ontario
>>
>>2392817
but what he said is true
Id rather be here than anywhere else on earth except maybe sweden 30 years ago
>>
>>2392145
Any species will do it under the right circumstances, usually the species not known to cannibalize do so when fighting over food. I've only heard of one instance of easterns cannibalizing, and that was when one of them regurgitated a worm in the tank.
>>
>>2393107
I don't think it's a very real risk then. I'd guess the root was poor husbandry, which caused the regurgitation and the snakes being in close proximity all the time.
>>
>walking though Lowe's
>encounter exhausted frog dodging carts on the floor in the flooring department
>escort out back to the retaining pond behind the store
Good deed accomplished.
>>
>>2393405
And it turns out it was a tree frog. And I set it free in the grass instead of tossing it in the water like a retard. I did good.
>>
File: Aldabra Tortoise.jpg (642KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Aldabra Tortoise.jpg
642KB, 1024x768px
Who /tortoise/ here?
Been thinking about sulcatas but if I'd need a year round outside enclosure I'll have to pass. I have a huge basement, though.

Anyone owned/knew of anyone who owned Aldabra Tortoises? I've seen breeders selling them and while there is no way I could contain one of those, I'm interested in reading about people's experiences with fuckhuge tortoises. I've heard sulcatas doing damage, can't imagine what these guys could do.
>>
>>2393463
they dig holes bigger than they are and they are quite heavy/strong
it could very easily take a finger off if it wanted but they are generally friendly
>>
>>2393368
The keeper was extremely experienced with few other issues. It's not difficult to cause a garter to regurge, they're fairly delicate as far as beginner species go. Could have been any number of things that caused the regurge, which could happen even if your husbandry was perfect.

Cannibalization is a real, possible risk, but if you're willing to deal with that then they're you're snakes.
>>
>>2393463
If you were willing to remodel your basement for one, it could work
the main thing about being outside is the ability to dig
>>
Why are lizards such bros, they're very passive and won't give a fuck about anything.
>>
>>2393584
>they're fairly delicate as far as beginner species go
Good thing I'm not a beginner then.
I have a few months to set up my enclosure before breeders start getting litters for sale too.
>>
>>2392108
i think roaches are just a substitute to crickets because roaches are healthier and easier to keep. Roaches dont make noise, they dont smell bad, they also live a lot longer than crickets and roaches are a lot easier to keep from escaping
>>
>>2393904
They're also a lot more nutritious than crickets and don't bite.
>>
I just found out that there are reptile breeders in my country after all. I've never owned one and was thinking of getting either a leopard gecko or a bearded dragon, they're both good for beginners, right? I just don't know where to get live food, most stores sell only dead preserved insects.
And how hard is it to breed these entry-level reptiles? I don't want to do it for money, but just in case I turn out to really like them and want a few more after a few years
>>
>>2393935
Yeah, beardies and leos are good for beginners. They are very tame, and easy to breed. If you're looking for live food and just now you found reptile breeders, just do more digging and you'll eventually find some obscure reptile group with people selling feeders.
Also, if you decide to breed them, it's best if you only breed breed-quality animals, rather than pet-quality: pets with intense coloration that clearly showcases its morph, and good health. I don't know about the specifics of breeding them, though you can get info on that easily.
>>
>>2390933

I recently tripped over skinks purely by accident. Do they make good pets?

Are they quite beginner friendly? What sort of equipment do they require? Not looking into them for right now (given as they live for 15-20 years), but certainly interested for the future!
>>
>>2393947
any good specific site on getting started with them? Care sheets, terrarium guides and the sort?
>>
File: 1495953255841.jpg (61KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1495953255841.jpg
61KB, 960x960px
Where might be some good online places to buy herps from? I want somewhere with a good online repertoire that might be a little harder than just a Google search to find.

Right now I'm looking for a Budgett's frog
>>
File: IMG_1379.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1379.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>2390908
I would argue that iguanas are more intelligent, the difference is they're assholes

>let my iguana free roam in the house
>tell him not to shit on the new couch
>his thought process is to fuck with me by crawling UNDER the couch and doing his business there

Fuck you lizard
>>
>>2394083
better not tell us your location then, else we might be able to help you
>>
>>2394145
My apologies

I live in the US
>>
>>2394083
joshsfrogs.com
>>
>>2394141
I don't think it gives a fuck
>>
http://www.faunaclassifieds.com

Just make sure you check the BOI (board of inquiry) on people. Most are legit but every once in a while there are scammers or people with shit rep.
>>
File: BTS.jpg (97KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
BTS.jpg
97KB, 1024x768px
>>2393953
>good pets?

Yes, as lizards go they're great. Calm. Okay with occasional handling.

>beginner friendly
I think they are suitable beginner herp for a responsible adult capable of doing some preparation and research.

>equipment
UVB light, heat lamp, appropriately sized tank (adults need about a 50g tank), and appropriate decor/hides/dishes

Fortunately with blue tongues there is a comprehensive site on them with tons of information.
>bluetongueskinks.net/care.htm
>>
>>2394172
When he crawled out from under the couch he let the whole family know he lost all his fucks
>>
>>2394141
>let iguana free roam my room in and out out of cage when im home i keep my room in high 70's
>wake up one morning to him jumping onto my chest
>and then taking a massive shit

I love the fucker to death but damn was it a pain when he was young and shitting on everything
>>
File: WP_20170530_16_44_48_Pro.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170530_16_44_48_Pro.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
Just updating with some more progress.
>>
File: repashy.jpg (258KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
repashy.jpg
258KB, 1500x1500px
so i bought this for my 3 month old crestie, gonna feed it tonight. is it really all it needs through its life? gave it some banana last night he liked it.
>>
>>2394500

Honestly I know many people who only do rephashy or pangea. They can do that for their entire lives. It is a complete meal mix.

I use fresh fruit and wax worms as a treat and rephashy for their staple.
>>
>>2394503
how often do you have to feed them repashy per week? Also when do I suppose to throw away the uneaten food. I don't wanna put em to waste.
>>
>>2394565

They will waste food. It dries out before it can all be eaten. Just how it goes. Though making a ton for babies and many cresteds in like a sauce squirter bottle is easy.

I have a live setup so I scoop out the dried food and let the other things consume it.

Usually 2-3x a week. Like a small taco time plastic sauce cup half full.
>>
>>2394565

Feed every second day. Toss after 24 hours. I think the fine print says it will keep for 36 hours after mixing. In most cases it will dry out before it spoils anyway.
>>
>>2394582
Ah damn thought you could just water and remix the dried up leftover.
>>
What's the best site to order black soldier fly larvae from?
>>
File: WP_20170530_22_34_30_Pro.jpg (4MB, 5376x3024px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170530_22_34_30_Pro.jpg
4MB, 5376x3024px
And the Styrofoam is finished, next step is grouting
>>
>>2394642
You're overestimating the amount crested geckos eat. The bottles last quite a while. In fact I have to keep a close eye on the expiration dates to make sure I use mine completely in the ~1 year shelf life.
>>
>>2394678

Which country?
>>
>>2394692

That's quite the leo palace you're putting together there. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.
>>
>>2394733
Stick around, ill be posting along the way. Just have to add several layers of grout and then the plexiglass front
>>
>>2390559
>Alligators and Crocodiles they dont have that type of intelligence
>he doesn't know about the tool use
literally a higher tier of intelligence than most mammals
>>
>>2394596
If it's under a year old you should feed repashy and or Pangea everyday and feed calcium with d3 dusted crickets 1-2 times a week (most people say 1 time a week, but IMO they would eat a lot of insects in the wild as juvies, that's why they love insects so much)
>>
>>2394865
By the way some crested geckos prefer it dry, it can last longer that way also
>>
>>2392006
Probably because they eat toads, cobras, highly toxic scorpions, spiders and poison insects in the wild. They are one of the toughest herps in the world when it comes to what they can handle eating because of their extremely voracious nature and where they are from
But I still wouldn't, just in case. They aren't evolved to eat american toads.
They love american bullfrogs though, and they are healthy, just don't use it as a staple because vertebrates aren't easy to digest
They do eat a lot of frogs in the wild, but I'm not sure exactly how much. But in general with frogs, I wouldn't feed vertebrates more than once or twice a month and even less often with rodents
>>
>>2394692
nice, I really want to make some sort of DIY terrarium as well, it just doesn't feel right buying one
>>
What should i name my new rainbow boa?
Its a baby from this year.
Will post pics as soon as i get it home settled in its terrarium
>>
>>2394957
Irene
>>
NEW THREAD

>>2394987

>>2394987

>>2394987
>>
>>2394320
Yeah, mines pretty young, my biggest problem is that I live with my mom and she won't let him shit in the bathtub, its the only way he can shit on demand
>>
>>2390244
He's deff not a normal i do know that
>>
>>2394732
America
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 64

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.