[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WTF does the cat want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

File: black-cat.jpg (329KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
black-cat.jpg
329KB, 2000x1333px
My gf's cat will walk up to you roll over and lay there staring at whoever she is next to, if you try to pet her she'll scratch and try and bite you but doesn't make any aggressive noises, almost like its playing
If you play with her with one of those toys attached to a string attached to a stick toys she'll claw at the toy and do cat things but eventually see your arm as an extension of the toy and go for that
She'll bit and scratch your feet if they're dangling off a bed or couch
she'll pet herself with items in the house next to you and move close to you like it wants to be pet but scratches and bites if you do
she turned 1 year old this month so she's somewhat young
any idea why its this way?
pic not related but it looks like it
>>
She's trying to play and hasn't learned not to play with your flesh yet
>>
Young kitty doesn't know how to properly play yet. Don't be aggressive about it but show her that flesh is not a thing to be mean to.
>>
>>2382720
How do you teach them to "properly play with flesh"?
>>2382733
again how do you do this? I try petting her and the second she claws at me I pull my hand away and I firmly say something like "No ____" I don't yell it or even say it in a raised voice, I just make it clear and slightly louder than my regular voice
>>
>>2382736
I think pulling away and firmly saying no when she claws is probably the best way
>>
Those are the things why you should have two cats. They can teach each other about these things way better than you can.
>>
>>2382784
This is the stupidest thing ever and the cat is gonna give you the "really nigga?" and just keep doing it. You may think this sounds cruel, but if you flick their nose (not hard chill the fuck out) when they do that shit and show some rigidity and motion in the rest of your body accompanied by a short sound of your own choosing, eventually you'll only have to make that sound and they'll understand that their behavior will cue aggression. Eventually they'll stop. Also you could try a spray bottle. Don't harm animals.
>>
>>2382806
> flick their nose (not hard chill the fuck out)
oh man she's going to scratch the ever loving fuck out of me
If you pick her up and move her off a counter or table she isn't supposed to be on she'll get into that playful hunt mood and attack my foot, assuming she didn't fuck my shit up when I picked her up
I'll talk to her about spray bottles, I remember her reading something about it traumatizing them or some shit, what argument can I use in favor of using the bottle besides "what you're doing isn't working so lets try this"
>>
>>2382811
>something about it traumatizing them or some shit
citation needed.
Also, I don't believe it either way because there is nothing inherent in the act itself that would suggest trauma. Perhaps if you growled and snarled and chased the cat about while doing it. You have to trust that this is not a healthy environment and you're being dominated by your animal. Jackson Galaxy is a moron. Cesar Milan logic applies here: Dominance. You're going to have to show some aggression to prove to the cat that you're not playing around. Before I was with my wife, her and her mother had 6 cats in a 3 story house. Her friend came to live with her and brought her big fat fuck cat that bossed around all the other cats. When I would see this behavior, I would pick the cat up by the scruff (back of the neck/shoulder blades) and HURL it into the next room. Almost before it landed it would be poised to just glaare at me. After a hiss from me (drama is required for cats) it would dart away. After about 2 weeks the cat would make eye contact, walk forward and sit cautiously, wait for approval before approaching, and then fall on it's side and wait for rubs. Most importantly: It Never. Bothered. Anyone. Ever again. It never growled and attacked the other cats for food or for attention, and it never changed this behavior.
>>
>>2382818
I have no idea dude, she told me and since it's not my pet I can't really go "lol fuck your data, we're training her my way"
I definitely agree with you about it not being a healthy environment, I fucking hate the thing. I can't comfortably get up and grab a glass of water in the middle of the night when I'm at her place out of fear of that little shit scratching my legs.
I'll try and find sources on the cat needing to be shown dominance, she'll definitely agree that her cat is basically in control of the house. I'll definitely bring up the whole "always get two cats" from this >>2382804 post, she has noticed her brother who owns her cat's two other siblings are some of the nicest cats ever so I'll say something along the lines of "they learned that scratching and bitting hurts so they don't do it unless they feel threatened. Your cat doesn't have something to teach it that so we need to implement some positive reinforcement whenever she lashes out."
>>
>>2382715
She's just tsundere and wants senpai to notice her.
>>
>>2382715
Kitty just wants to play and is full of energy. If cat really wanted to slice and dice they can, but if it's just pokes and nips, they're just playing.

In general, you want to get all the "chasies" out of the cat, play with the cat until it goes to its food bowl and starts eating.

Cats have to chase. Gotta chase. Gotta catch that mousie. Gotta eat the mousie.
>>
>>2382715
you'll need to google how to retrain cats or something
because that stupid woman specifically thought the kitten to play with hands and feet rough because it was fun and so cuuute while the cat had tiny claws
>>
Why not trim the claws and/or use kitty caps?
>>
boop kitter on the nose and don't gib attentions if she gets too rough, maybe hiss at her gently because cats can understand that
also learn to read cat's body language, if their ears are back or their tail is flicking, leave them alone
reward good behavior with treats and catnip, don't focus on punishment
also let the cat come to you; hold your arm up and let the cat show you where and how it wants to be gib pettinz
>>2383086
that's the symptom not the problem, and you can hurt the kitty if you trim wrong, and you can't trim teeth
>>
>>2382818
>employing Cesar Millan "logic"
Don't listen to this guy's macho bullshit. There's a reason any respectable animal trainer discredits Cesar Millan. Furthermore, cats are not dogs and don't conceptualize hierarchy (or sociability in general) in the way they do.

This is a combination of your cat being very young/playful, having a high level of energy that isn't getting exercised out of her, and never being taught appropriate play behavior. She probably had early experiences of humans using their hands/feet to play with her as a kitten, which taught her that it's acceptable and fun.

Whenever you can, play with her in a way that keeps you distant. Laser pointers are great for this. Roll or throw a ball for her to chase, dangle a long piece of string. If she likes stick toys, just play until she goes for your hand, then say NO loudly and immediately drop the toy and walk out of the room. Refuse to engage at all. She will make the connection that funtime stops when she goes after the human target.

Play EVERY DAY for at least half an hour. Get her a cat tree to climb, crinkle tunnels to run through, feed her with a treat dispenser ball that requires her to work for her food, etc. If she gets her energy out in appropriate ways, she's going to be less likely to direct it towards you. Reward appropriate play behavior with treats.
>>
>>2383239
If you want a deterrent and your gf doesn't like spray bottles (they're generally not very effective in training cats anyway), try carrying around an empty coffee can with some screws, coins, clangy metal shit like that in it. If she pounces on your feet or legs when you're walking, drop it next to her. It'll spook her out of what she's doing and teach that a bad thing will happen if she goes for you, but shouldn't connect it TO you or make her fearful of interacting with you (what's likely going to happen if you go the macho route).

Some cats can also get easily over-stimulated by petting. When you stroke her, stick to scratching the cheeks, chin, head, and ears rather than full-body pets. Especially do not touch her paws, rump, or stomach, even if she rolls over and looks like she's asking for a belly rub (she's probably not).
>>
>>2382715
Sounds like it needs 20g delivered directly to the cranium.
>>
>>2383240
What exactly is wrong with the "macho route" (aka not letting a 5 lbs animal punk you) not like anyone has suggested beating the shit out of the cat, simply asserting dominance? If the car respects the owner what difference does it make.
>>
>>2383360
Because you'll more likely get an anxious cat or an angry cat rather than the results you're looking for.
>>
>>2383363
From spraying it with a fucking water bottle and hissing at it? If that happens the owner should kill the fucking thing.
>>
>>2383364
why are you such an ass?
>>
>>2383381
Because you lovey dovey tree hugging types always spew the same bullshit like its the only truth
That other shit has been working for decades and all of the sudden we get an influx of weak fucking people and the firm route is no longer viable? Nah, fuck right off.
>>
>>2382715
Just hiss the fuck out of her
Hiss like a motherfucking tiger or something, she'll understand
>>
>>2383386
>muh hippies say muh DOMINANCE STRONGK ALFA MALE BS is just that: BS
>your reaction: waahhhhhhh they're oppreshuning muh masculinty meme oh my god fucking liberals

>>>/lgbt/ .
>>
>>2383393
Point out where I complain about being oppressed and where I name liberals
Go
>>
>>2383364
Hissing at it's fine, but if you actually want to go with Cesar's methods then all you're doing is terrorizing your fucking cat. Cat's tolerate being forced to the ground against their will and thrown around even less than your average dog.

Plus these methods have never really worked. Animal behavioral science has proven that stern verbal commands along with operant conditioning is far more effective than manhandling an animal or terrorizing it into submission. People who claim their cats and dogs are better usually just can't read animal body language for shit, are anthropmorphizing them, or are the rare exception when harsh training makes a difference, though that is more often found in working breeds of dogs who receive minimal punishment and are otherwise kept in a healthy environment.
>>
>>2383404
No one here is advocating what I'd consider excessive force like you're making it out to be except for maybe this >>2382818 anon throwing a cat into another room
Why are you guys blowing shit out of proportion if no one else here is?
>>
File: b.png (537KB, 409x797px) Image search: [Google]
b.png
537KB, 409x797px
>>2383410
>:
>>
>>2383364
Hissing directly means you have hostile intent, when cats are mad at each other they do not hiss at each other if they're on friendly terms but one went too far. They hiss when a cat that they are willing to fuck up comes to their territory. Please don't hiss at your cat.
>>
>>2383446
Yeah give it treats for scratching you and hope your passive shit works
>>
>>2383446
You're an idiot. Go read up on cat behavior.

Even mother cats hiss at their kittens when they start playing too rough as disciplinary action.
>>
>>2383386
Holy shit, are you seriously this fucking amped up on your own testosterone?

Actual animal trainers - people who have been studying this shit for decades and dedicate their lives to tweaking available methods - almost uniformly recommend against physical punishment. The American College of Veterinary Behaviorists specifically advise against choosing dog trainers that rely on being the "alpha"/submission or use methods such as prong/shock collars, hitting/kneeing, choking, forcing the animal down, etc. Hell, you can find plenty of studies in humans that correlate childhood spanking with increased aggression and psychological problems as adults.

I'm not saying punishment doesn't work. It can, but it's neither the most effective nor the most humane method - so why would you use it? Either a) you don't know any better, or b) you're doing it largely to satisfy your own anger.
>>
>>2383494
>The American College of Veterinary Behaviorists specifically advise against choosing dog trainers that rely on being the "alpha"/submission or use methods such as prong/shock collars, hitting/kneeing, choking, forcing the animal down, etc.
There you go again, exaggerating everything that was said in this thread. Read this >>2383410 and address it you fucking retard. No one is telling OP to kick the cat or use some fucking shock collar your kind likes to jump to extreme and assume the complete worst, literally kill yourself.
Who the fuck cares if someone is "hopped up on testosterone" enjoy being a weak fucking male
>>
>>2383505
The "etc." includes

>pinching toes, kneeing the dog in the chest or abdomen, hitting the dog, forcibly holding the dog down against their will, constantly yelling at the dog, frequently yanking the collar constantly, or using prong, choke, pinch or shock collars or electronic stimulation
>A trainer recommends “alpha rolls”, “scruffing”, “helicoptering”, “choking” or any
other painful or physical methods as a means of “training” or modifying behavior.

I just picked out a few that jumped out at me. Plenty of this would not be seen as "excessive force" and is shown on Cesar Millan's show. The main point is not the severity of the physical punishment, you dumb nigger, but that the training practice itself is scientifically proven to be less effective.

Keep getting mad about being wrong.
>>
>>2383410
I was assuming based on the fact you were questioning why "macho" methods were wrong that you agreed with Cesar's methods. You can see where that would arise given the discussion was based around disproving the effectiveness of those methods, and then you come in bringing up something tangentially related without much clarification. I was simply explaining that his methods of asserting dominance with animals have been disproven again and again and tend to involve acting violently towards the misbehaving animal. Sorry for the confusion.
>>
>>2383534
Why don't you go post in a thread where they actually talk about doing the shit you're posting instead of coming in here, triggering yourself and sperging out for no reason
>Keep getting mad about being wrong.
What ha ha ha are you serious kid? This isn't a fucking argument anymore, you're in your own fucking world shitposting and somehow thinking you came out on top
Did you read the OP, pull up your word doc and copy paste this drivel without bothering to read what anons actually posted?
>>
>>2383386
You were responding to me. I actually didn't have anything against your testosterone poisoning tbhqfam. unlike the other scientific-minded anon(s), I think you're right that being firm is ok if the animal is receptive to it, but don't you think you're just being kinda an ass if you suggest that the animal should be put down if it isn't receptive to punishment? Like holy shit calm your shriveled up testicles and listen to yourself.
>>
>>2382715
You are probably petting your cat wrong. Stop petting down the back towards the rear and scratch it on the neck and head instead. Only do long strokes every once in a while. Also, your cat is still young, don't expect too much.
>>
File: 1394933443967.jpg (37KB, 650x435px) Image search: [Google]
1394933443967.jpg
37KB, 650x435px
>>2383556
>>2383239
>>2383240
>>2383494
>>2383534
These are the only posts I have made in this thread, you shit-flinging ape: rational arguments against physical punishment as a training tech and recommendations of alternative methods. The only one sperging and shitposting here is you, with your BUT WHY NOT bitching about beta males letting their animals walk all over them.

Here is the reality of punishment training: https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/preventing-and-punishing-undesirable-behavior-in-cats

When my kittens were first adopted, they were CONSTANTLY on the kitchen counters as soon as they were old enough to reach them with a quick jump. My family used squirt bottles on them for months every time their paws touched that granite, and the only thing it accomplished was that the cats would start flinching and flee whenever they were on the counters and we came near. The behavior itself did not stop; they simply learned that we needed to be out of the room before they could jump up. What finally did work was lining the edges of the counters with double-sided tape, which made the behavior/location itself less appealing.

Effectively training cats does not revolve around making them respect or fear you. It's altering behavior by redirecting undesirable actions and/or making them less rewarding than desirable ones.
>>
>>2383112
This, the same works on rabbits. When she hurts you make a high pitched noise like you're in pain, they don't get "human" so do "cat."
>>
Hello, lil personal anecdote here.

My sister rescued a cat from a shitty situation and he's pretty nervous and excitable. He was extremely affectionate but nobody wanted to pet him because he would get wound up while being pet and would inevitably claw or bite. He'd also claw or bite if you tried to walk away from him.

Well, obviously, that sucked for him because he was desperately craving the attention. That's how I pitched the spray bottle idea to my family so everybody got on board with it.

Any time we went to pet him, we'd have the spray bottle ready in our free hand. As soon as he bit or scratched, we'd spray him. He got the message really, really quickly and stopped biting and scratching. If he saw the spray bottle he would kind of squint and brace himself, but he never associated that with us.

That was a year and a half ago or so at this point. He's not at all traumatized and is way better off for it because he gets tons of interaction all the time. He's swatted at someone maybe once or twice since then, and only when he's REALLY riled up.

I'm sure part of that is his age, and he's also a very forgiving cat, but the spray bottle basically let him become a family member again.
>>
File: cunt.jpg (13KB, 639x480px) Image search: [Google]
cunt.jpg
13KB, 639x480px
>>2382715
What these other peeps are saying is mostly right.
Don't be overly aggressive in response, but don't pussyfoot around pushing them away or hissing. Younger cats don't really know their limits if their owners let them loose like retards.

Make sure you don't immediately try to pat paws or tummies when cats are rolling around, it's not an invitation unless they trust you implicitly. Instead say hello there and crouch down, put your hand out non-threateningly and wait until they make the move to go to you.

If you're getting attacked or they decide to turn nasty while you're playing with them, say OW loudly, push them away, and walk away. Depending on how nasty they turn, you may need to hiss at them to make it known you are angry.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.