[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/herp/ - Reptile & Amphibian General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 67

Pls keep the shitposting to a minimumm k thnx: edition

previous >>2368248

/herp/ reptile classifieds for finding breeders of various scaled and sundry creatures

>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>Also check to see if there are any annual reptile shows/expos in your area as these are good places to find good animals from good breeders at partial discount

/herp/ officially official all purpose care sheet of wonder and magic

>sand a shit
>use a thermostat
>read all the caresheets
>set up your tank before you get your herp
>regulate temps & humidity levels prior to herp arrival
>do not fuck with (handle) your herp for at least 7 days after bringing it home and ideally wait until herp has eaten at least one meal (for snakes), two meals for lizards, frogs, etc.
>PVC tanks are way better for most applications and worth the extra money
>it is best to avoid chain pet stores when looking to purchase live animals as mass breeder suppliers are not especially careful about health and sound genetics... it often saves you money long term to spend a little extra up front to get a healthy animal

>Jump Start (formerly Hydrofarm) thermostat is a good basic and inexpensive thermostat for regulating ceramic heat emitters and under tank heaters (Amazon sells it)
>if you want something more advanced for temperature control, look at Herpstat products
>>
question from end of old thread:

>Whenever I visit the reptile exhibit at the local zoo the mambas are the only snakes that consistently come up to the window, flick their tongues out at patrons, and try to scale the glass. Is it just their prey drive or are they easier to condition to expect food from humans? Or is it strangely displayed aggression?

Mambas have a strong feeding response, inquisitive behaviour traits, and are also pretty aggressive. It's a combination of all of those.
>>
my cat and Iggy don't get a long, they often hurt each other pretty bad, and now my cat has a broken leg but I cant afford the vet
should I get rid of one?
or how can I make sure they behave?
>>
>>2378310

I said pls keep the shitposting to a minimum k thnx.
>>
File: 20170405_210258.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170405_210258.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
sorry for horrible quality but she's so cute
>>
File: 20170327_165809.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170327_165809.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>2378491
Same snake, have her on coco fiber and layer of cypress on top now instead of just coconut fiber. Looked dry in pic but humidity is always at 55-60%
>>
File: 20170323_132022.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170323_132022.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>2378495
>>2378491
Posted about 100000 times in previous threads but her setup right now (before mulch was added)
>>
>>2378500
Wax plants take much love and dedication.
It's always good to squirm around on your stomach in mulch for 24 hours a day.
>>
>>2378495
Yep that combo works well. A mostly dry layer over coco fiber works really well for humid tanks. I use either fir chips or leaf litter for top layer of my gecko tanks (over moss or coco husk or fiber depending). The springtail/isopod cleaning crew does better when they have a dry upper layer in my experience.
>>
>>2378287
All the snakes I've seen in zoos that did little more than try and hide were generally pretty stressed.
Theres a big western diamondback at my local zoo in an enclosure thats like 4-5x2x2 and it climbs the glass all day even when no one else is near
>>
>>2378491
Thats a pretty cute dog anon
>>
my lizards keep fighting and a few of the house geckos and anoles have died already
>>
how can I convince my mom that my lizards and snakes need bigger tanks? she says my bedroom doesn't have enough room but it's my fucking bedroom, it's such bs.
I currently have a couple beards in a 15 gallon, and they are almost a foot long already
>>
>>2378666
Try not being underage and let your mom command your life lol.
>>
>>2378667
I'm 19, she's just a control freak
>>
File: 1393911362037.jpg (32KB, 350x400px) Image search: [Google]
1393911362037.jpg
32KB, 350x400px
>>2378668
>I'm 19
lmao, then grow a spine and do what you want
>>
>>2378663
maybe terrarium is too small or they have to compete for resources
>>
>>2378668
you live in her house, so she makes the rules. if you don't like that, try to reach a compromise with her or move out. you don't get to "do what you want" when someone else is supporting you.
perhaps consider putting those beardies in a new home until you're able to properly care for them.
>>
>>2378668
>19
So whats the problem here? Get a job And buy yourself some bigger tanks .
What other condition are they in? consistent uvb? Decent basking temps? Variety of food? 15s a pretty fuckin tiny tank for any beardie man
>kappa
>>
>>2378668
yeah man tell her you'll pay for it yourself, she probably knows that a tank's gonna cost at least a hundred bucks each
>>
File: IMG_3931.gif (148KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3931.gif
148KB, 400x300px
>>2378668
>no mom the lizard's not a phase! You don't understand me!
>>
File: cokeheaduro.jpg (164KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
cokeheaduro.jpg
164KB, 720x960px
I claim this thread in the name of Waffle, my uromastyx
>>
File: 20170511_023212.jpg (696KB, 1439x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170511_023212.jpg
696KB, 1439x1080px
Posting my blood python
He's growing so fast
>>
>>2378668
try not getting animals until you are settled down you dummy
>>
>>2378663
don't put two species in the same tank. geckos need separate tanks for each one. anoles can only be in the same tank if it is 1 male and the rest are female
>>
>>2379270
thicc
>>
Where's the discord server? Someone setup a server a long time ago.
>>
>>2379424
Shit like that kills threads.
>>
File: 1494353913831.gif (2MB, 460x308px) Image search: [Google]
1494353913831.gif
2MB, 460x308px
Why is frog such bully?
>>
>>2379511
Amphibians arent smart enough to understand that their actions can hurt eachothers feelings
>>
>>2378971
Clean that fucking cage out my lad
>>
File: tiliqua scincoides_440_big.jpg (86KB, 526x278px) Image search: [Google]
tiliqua scincoides_440_big.jpg
86KB, 526x278px
Any recommendations for a medium sized, at least somewhat personable lizard. I'm talking like the size and temperament of a bearded dragon, but not a bearded dragon. This is, of course, give or take to any small degree.

My thoughts at the moment are a blue tongue skink or an ackie monitor. I'm sure there are others though that I'm not thinking of
>>
>>2379511
Oh god damnit I need to get a froggo or two. Their dumb hijinks are completely different than my geckos.
>>
>>2379519
Other than the two you mentioned there is also uromastyx. Fair warning on ackies, they are VERY fast at incredible hihg speed when they wanna be. Awesome lizards but you need to be very careful when you have them out, especially when young.
>>
>>2379519
what >>2379527 said, another option (albeit a bit of a gamble) is a frilled lizard. My first one was a pain in the ass but he was wild caught. My second was captive bred and is still my best lizard friend, loves to chill on my back while I work and with a lot of patience can wear a little harness and chill in the back yard to get that natural sun.
>>
>>2379527
I do recall hearing that about ackies... I might consider uromastyxes, but the incredibly high levels of heat and UVB kinda put me off.

Mainly the heat, I guess pretty much everything that'd fit my interests would need UVB

>>2379544
Thats so cool, with the harness and the lizard. You should totally post pics if you have them.

And so basically I'm getting the idea that I should eyeball larger agamid species? Curious, are there any other types of smaller monitors similar to ackies?
>>
File: IMG_20170512_011406667.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170512_011406667.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
picture of the area underneath my snake's head. are those discolored scales among the white scales anything to be worried about? you can see that all of the scales take on that discoloration where the head ends and the belly begins. you might have to zoom a bit.
>>
>>2379544
>>2379550
Frillies are cool, the downside is that you'll need a really really big tank, I keep mine in a re purposed cabinet. The fuckers love to climb.

Not my tank in the pic but a similar idea
>>
>>2379550
nah man, I know how people here feel about harnesses, I don't like them either but I want my girl to get sunlight and I'm also paranoid that she'll bolt out of the yard
>>
>>2379551
It took me a while to realize what I was looking at, for a minute I thought you smashed some shed skin on a tile or something
>>
>>2379554
Awesome idea for an enclosure, but too space-intensuce for me currently. I'll keep it in mind for the future

>>2379555
I didn't know anybody here had a problem with harnesses. I can't see what's so bad about them, it's better than letting your herp get away
>>
>>2379559
Some people will tell you that literally the only reason people have harnesses for lizards is to show off their speshul baby to people in like a petsmart or something
>>
>>2379566
Letting a lizard walk around your yard in a harness I can accept if it wasn't forced into it while struggling, but taking a lizard into public like that is just egoistical and retarded. The animal doesn't want to be surrounded by a lot of noise, people looking at it from above like a predator would while being restricted in movement.
>>
>>2379559
The only real use is to be able to take them out in real sunlight without any worry of them taking off.
>>
Serious question that I would be pleasantly and extremely surprised if anyone of you know (no offence but /an/ is shit post fest)
Someone gave me an aquarium and some fake plants for it that apparently she washed with dish soap. And I know that the even the smallest dish soap residue is harmful to reptiles, so how do I make sure there is no rescue whatsoever? Is boiling water and thorough rinsing enough?
>>
>>2379585
*no residue whatsoever
>>
>>2379585
soak them in water overnight.
Tell them to clean them in a weak bleach solution in the future.
>>
Anyone with any experience that can help me?

So it's that time of year again and there are a ton of Smooth Newts in my pond. They're really attractive and diverse in terms of patterning and I've always wanted to keep some as pets

Is this a good idea or should I leave them be
>>
File: IMG_20170509_082706.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170509_082706.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
Hey herps,

Got my first pair or bearded dragons a few days back. Any observations from those with experience? They aren't drinking from the water bowl so i've read to mist them 3 times a week or so.

Also, they love baby roaches but only stare at mealworms. Any help with that? Thanks!
>>
>>2379592
you should probably leave them be, wild caught animals don't do very well in general, doubly so for amphibians

>>2379605
Why a pair? You do realize you're going to have to separate them eventually right?

They'll either figure out the mealworms are food or they won't, I don't think there's anything to be done about it. Try hand feeding them when they're more comfortable with it.
>>
Guys, I think my snake has a problem. Since he is a Kenyan Sand Boa, I would expect him to be burrowing most of his time. But all night, for at least 7 or 8 hours, he is wandering the tank above the substrate, climbing on whatever he can. At one point, I found him wound around the circular thermometer that I had stuck to the side of the tank. This does not seem like ordinary behavior.
Just now, I was handling him, and he was running through my fingers like he had somewhere to be. Eventually he got tired of my hands, and moved onto my arm. Unfortunately, his species is not very good at climbing or holding onto things - you wouldn't guess this from the dumb, clumsy confidence with which he moves from hand to hand. He slid off of my arm and onto my legs, and then onto the carpet floor; I think this was a four foot fall. He landed, ran around for a moment, then tried furiously burrowing into the carpet (this didn't work for obvious reasons). I picked him up and put him back in his tank, where he resumed prowling about the surface.
Is my snake retarded? He spends more time climbing than he does burrowing, and normally traumatic experiences don't phase him at all. If he is retarded, what special steps should I take to care for him? I've heard that the more humane thing to do with mentally impaired animals is to just put them down, but I paid $40 for this snake.
>>
>>2379631
Lol

How long have you had the snake?
>>
>>2379631
What kind of substrate do you have?
>>
>>2379551
Doesn't look like any cause for concern to me.
>>
>>2379585
Thorough rinsing with clean water. You can also spray down with 50/50 vinegar water solution to help remove soap residue. It isn't as fussy for dry terrariums as it is for fully aquatic aquariums.
>>
>>2379631
This is all pretty normal sand boa behaviour, anon. They like exploring stuff given the opportunity and will climb even though they suck at it.
>>
>>2379670
I have fed it twice, so that makes it two weeks and four days.

>>2379672
He is on aspen shavings. I am considering moving him to sand (I know I will have to feed him out of the cage) or maybe those little aspen chips that look like confetti. I've also had my eye on one of those clay excavator kits. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XPQRZBI

>>2379764
Alright, that's reassuring.
>>
>>2379806
Excavator clay is not sand boa suitable. While advertised as "burrowing substrate" it is quite hard once it sets and is not possible to burrow through in the way snakes do.
>>
>>2379827
Are you sure? The fierceness with which he tries to burrow into the carpet makes me think he could pierce a hard block of cheese.
What do you think about me combining sand and clay? I could put two inches of sand or dirt above some areas of the clay, and use the clay to create burrows and whatnot.
>>
>>2379834
Stick with the aspen. Sand isnt sanitary and will just make problems
>>
File: iguana.jpg (2MB, 2460x2528px) Image search: [Google]
iguana.jpg
2MB, 2460x2528px
Ever since I got my iguana a little bit over 2 years ago hes slowly been growing more and more grey and all I can assume is its natural since its bled in with age starting as small spots and he still sheds where the grey areas are and his humidity is always in the 60%-75% range ontop of soaking in the tub 2 or 3 times a week for 30+ minutes
Any other anon have their 2 cents?
>>
>>2379841
A lot of iguanas gray out with age. Especially central american ones so he's probably got a lot of that in him. Seeing his horns too, the graying is to be expected.
>>
>>2379848
Yea thats what he is
Its a shame he rubbed his horn off late last year after I had to swim out of my neighborhoood with him in a pet carrier in a boat I effectively stole from my neighbors who had already got out because of flooding
Its been growing back though and he regained his health pretty quick after A week or two of antibiotic/anti fungal cream and some pills that I ended up having to crush into dust and sprinkle on his food for him to eat
>>
>>2379850
I've never met anyone who actually knew their iguanas locality.
I commend you on your dedication to him.
>>
>>2379834
Yes i'm sure about the excavator clay. It is very solid once you've molded it and allowed to dry.

Aspen is a fine substrate for sand boas anyway. You're being a bit of a worried new parent about it.
>>
>>2379841
he looks wiser now
>>
>>2379555
I harnessed my beardie her whole life around once a week when it was nice/warm enough, and she loved it.
You want to make sure your lawn or wherever you take her isn't treated with pesticides or herbicides because they can harm your pet if they eat any bugs/plants, but it's also best to avoid letting them eat random stuff from outside anyway. You just have to be more observant.
>>
>>2379605
Do you know the sex of either/both of them? I don't mean a guess I mean are you sure about either' sex?
>>
>>2379935
If he got 2 bearded dragons then decided to mist them he probably didn't care about their sex when he got them.
>>
>>2379937
Fair point. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask though.
>>
The natural substrate for Kenyan Sand Boas is loamy soil. What is a commercially available substrate that is similar to that? Coconut mulch?

>>2379900
The thing with aspen is that it looks so ugly, so I am exploring other options for him.
>>
>>2379976
You could make some loamy soil, or put large leaf litter over the aspen to hide it.
>>
File: 1493431632753[1].png (1MB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
1493431632753[1].png
1MB, 1334x750px
It was posted in the last thread, but does anyone know what this kind of frog this is?
>>
>>2380133
White's tree frog.
>>
File: 20170512_194833.jpg (442KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20170512_194833.jpg
442KB, 1080x1920px
My little buddy is about 40 inches long now. Its crazy that i never even noticed that hes grown so much
>>
Do you guys turn off your heating during the night? Isn't it more natural to turn it off for a natural cooldown?
>>
>>2380159
Depends on the species. What are you asking about?
>>
Whats the best cleaner bug for mold in a humid tank?
>>
>>2380179
Springtails absolutely love it but the best way is to not have those conditions to begin with. Increase the ventilation
>>
>>2380163
Ball pythons and snakes in general
>>
>>2380214
Ball pythons live in termite dens in the wild. Their temperature is very consistent. Leave the heat on.
>>
Do boas make good beginner snakes?
>>
>>2380225
If you get a smaller male they are.
Look into hog island boas
>>
File: smokey.jpg (196KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
smokey.jpg
196KB, 1500x1000px
>>2380225

Yes I think so. I agree with anon above that you should select a male boa as your first, although specifically going for one of the small species like the hog islands not strictly necessary. Even with a columbian, it's unlikely a male will grow larger than you're able to handle before you're ready for it.

Do make absolutely double sure to put your tank together and figure out the humidity situation BEFORE even considering bringing a boa home. It's not good to do the classic beginner herp keeper thing of going through the whole 'wait... i need to wut?' series:

>wait... i need to use a thermostat?
>i need to consider humidity?
>i need a hygrometer?
>the snake needs hides?
>broken glass is not a suitable substrate?
>but pet smart said the electric hot rocks would be good for my snake???

Only you can prevent bad snek husbandry.
>>
>>2380231
Thats advice for any herp, not just boas.
>>
>>2380227
>>2380231
Thanks anons. I wanna be a good snek friend.
>>
>>2380195
How do I increase ventilation withiit sacrificing humidity?
>>
>>2380242
Add some moss or a water dish.
Stop making everything so soggy that it molds.
What are you housing that needs such excessive moisture?
>>
>>2380244
Bps, but I guess I've been overdoing the misting a bit
Theres only mold on the wood though
>>
My beardie ate a tiny peck of dirt off the floor in my house. At least I think it was dirt, might have been a very tiny blackish rock, or something. It might have just been coco fiber, because I have a little bit of coco fiber on my bedroom floor that spilled
He'll probably be fine, right?
>>
>>2380382
I mean a speck of dirt, like a single small grain
>>
>>2380384
He seems okay though, he's still eating and acting totally normal
>>
>>2380382
i guarantee you he's eaten many specks of dirt you've never even seen
>>
File: WP_20170512_20_31_31_Pro.jpg (841KB, 2016x1134px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170512_20_31_31_Pro.jpg
841KB, 2016x1134px
I've made some progress building the leopard gecko tank.
>>
>>2380679
That looks pretty nice
>>
>>2380694
Thanks. Next I'm building the interior from Styrofoam and grout
>>
>>2379605
Most beardies wont drink from a bowl. They drink dew in the wild so the best thing is to get a oral syringe or spray bottle and give them water drop by drop.
Place a drop on their nose and they should start sticking their tounges out
>>
>>2380397
I'm not sure what it was, but it looked like dirt. So far it still seems okay though
>>
>>2379605
Mist their veggies as well. Great way to get them hydrated
>>
What's a robust lizard for beginners, and maybe one that's cool with being held once in a blue moon? I just want to get something neat and for my kids, but that doesn't mean its gonna be coming out every day, more just as a cool display piece. Hardiness is a plus so I don't have to worry about it dying constantly from small variations in temp or something
>>
>>2381181
Blue tongue skink
>>
File: IMG_2810.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2810.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2380225
They do if you're ok with the size or get a dwarf, and if you make sure you can keep the humidity up beforehand.

>>2380227
Males can get just as big as females. Although there is a general trend of males being smaller than females, that trend is not so great that I'd be advising a male to someone with a size limitation. When fed the same way and not bred, males can get just as big or bigger than the average female boa. Only a dwarf can guarantee you a smaller snake (and only if it hasn't been crossed with larger localities).

Hog Islands are not one of those dwarfs. They average 5'-7' with the potential to get 8'.

That said, like this anon >>2380231
said, most shouldn't get beyond your ability to handle alone. Boas grow extremely slowly when not power fed, so you have plenty of time to grow with them. A boa shouldn't be 6'+ until it's 4-6 years old, and by then you'll probably have the experience and confidence to handle a bigger snake.

Pic related is my 2 year old sunglow. She's shorter than my 2 year old ghost, but much stockier.
>>
>>2381181
blue tongue or beardies
theyre popular for that very reason,.hard to fuck up and pretty personable
>>
File: argus.jpg (126KB, 486x648px) Image search: [Google]
argus.jpg
126KB, 486x648px
Post cute monitor lizards!
>>
File: IMG_20170514_104327861.jpg (3MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170514_104327861.jpg
3MB, 2448x3264px
I posted this in the last thread, but I want to double check:
Are we sure that pic-related is a normal snake? (Speaking specifically about the red scales.)
>>
>>2380141
Yup, a WTF 100 no doubt
>>
File: snuggly.jpg (11KB, 236x314px) Image search: [Google]
snuggly.jpg
11KB, 236x314px
>>2381339
Hi there.
>>
File: 613201.jpg (49KB, 338x291px) Image search: [Google]
613201.jpg
49KB, 338x291px
I went to a reptile expo and came very, very close to getting a crested gecko. What's /an/'s opinion of them?

I know I eventually want a gecko. I also want a terrarium I can hang, or is free standing. A lot of the fun is designing out the aesthetic, and a lizard in a terrarium on a table doesn't really appeal to me. So I like the idea of something more arboreal, that's more tall than wide.
>>
>>2381636
They are an easy and calm species. Repashy fulfilling all of their dietary needs is also a plus for people who don't like feeding insects.

Though if I were to go for an aesthetic arboreal tank I'd rather choose a Phelsuma species.
>>
>>2381647
All 14 of my cresties and 2 gargoyles seem to prefer Pangea but I feed all kinds of Pangea and repashy, crickets, dubia roaches, fresh fruit smoothies made in a blender, and baby food. Repashy is the most nutritionally complete for them though
Phelsuma are pretty cool but harder to breed because the males are quite rough with their mates and they prefer to mate with a gecko that they are bonded with. They are generally more skittish as well, it takes more to gain it's trust
>>
>>2381647
You should feed insects ideally though, they enjoy and benefit from hunting, like all reptiles
>>
>>2379511
This is cute
>>
File: 1418037295909.gif (1016KB, 188x141px) Image search: [Google]
1418037295909.gif
1016KB, 188x141px
>>2379511
>>
>>2381636
Crested geckos are very fun, they are super jumpy and athletic. Mine aren't very calm, even the adults always try to run off and jump around when I take them out, but it's quite cool to watch. Only thing that calms them sometimes when I take them out is if they realize I'm trying to hand feed them
They are relatively hardy, and not easily stressed from interactions with humans. i.e unlike a lot of reptiles they will often gladly eat in front of you or be hand fed
>>
>>2381220
>Males can get just as big as females.
Only if it's overfed or the breeder lied about genetics
>Average 5-7 feet
That's the smallest you'll get without the snappiness other dwarves.
>>
>>2381653
>You should feed insects ideally though, they enjoy and benefit from hunting, like all reptiles

Well, you can offer. Cresties are often pretty lazy about it in adulthood. Babies are more in to the bugs but after a couple years a lot of them don't care to bother about it. Of my three cresteds, aged between three and five years old now, only one of the three year olds actually gives a shit about eating bugs. None of them are lazy otherwise, all quite active and not overweight.

I also have a garg. She bestirs herself to hunt about once every other month.

Tip for passively offering live bugs without the risk of biting uneaten crickets: get a thing of phoenix worms and put them in a glass dish. Geckos may or may not be interested. Once they're nearing final instar before moulting to full soldier fly, place a few of them in the substrate of the tank. The larva form typically burrow under immediately. They will then hatch out to soldier flies, which the geckos can then hunt down. Black soldier flies do not have mouth parts and so are not physically capanble of biting or antagonizing the geckos if they go uneaten. If you're lucky they'll also breed and add to your substrate cleanup crew.
>>
File: 20170514_202026.jpg (2MB, 1686x1657px) Image search: [Google]
20170514_202026.jpg
2MB, 1686x1657px
>>2381636
Which expo did you go to? I just went to one yesterday

Crested gecko are arguably one of the, if not THE easiest reptiles to care for. Low heat needs, don't need UVB, no need to maintain live insects, and very hardy. Obviously you still want to research before you get one, but they really are very easy and interesting pets
>>
>>2381809
Interesting. Thanks for the advice. Did you ever at any point not constantly offer live food?
>>
>>2381859
*consistently
not constantly
>>
>>2381860

Yes. I don't do the phoenix worms/soldier flies during winter from late November-April. The geckos all eat less gecko diet during that time and none will hunt. They don't brumate but they do slow down during that time of year.
>>
Got myself a small Cunningham colony today. Anybody got any experience to share about them? I think im pretty set at making them feel at home but in my country they are very rare so I cannot be sure if I missed something.
>>
Hey fellow /herp/ers.

I've kept leopard geckos, bearded dragons, crested geckos, and these african blue tailed skinks.

I can't keep snakes for reasons, and I want a new kinda lizard. Something that can be kept in any tank 55gals or smaller. Recommendations please?
>>
>>2381831

I was in Salt Lake City.
>>
File: IMG_2852.jpg (3MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2852.jpg
3MB, 2592x1728px
>>2381772
Nope, males can get just as big even without overfeeding. Not sure what you mean by the genetics part, the size is pretty much a roll of the dice even within the same litter.

Females may grow a bit faster, but a male will get just as big given enough time. My anery motley male is growing at a similar rate to my sunglow female, except maybe only a tad bit slower. I would hardly say a hopper mouse every 2 weeks up until he turned a year old is overfeeding. He's now 15 months old and on large adult mice. The sunglow was on jumbo mice at this time, so he's a little behind but he should catch up once he's on rats.

I do also see plenty of breeders who conservatively feed as I do that have breeder males 6'+, though the smaller males do breed better from what I've been told.

5'-7' isn't a dwarf. That's normal boa constrictor size. B(C)C only average about a foot longer than B(C)I, but both have the same size potential.

As far as the snappiness, that is more on an individual basis. I have seen true dwarves that are as docile as a Colombian, and they can outgrow that with age.
>>
>>2381922

Hmm... well since three out of the four you've had are primarily ground dwelling maybe go with another arboreal. Like day geckos. Or even tree frogs for something different. Gargoyle geckos are different enough, behaviour wise, from cresteds that you might consider them too. Tokay gecko if you're feeling adventurous and want a challenge (care is easy, handling and even general tank maintenance can be... fun).

There are tons of less common lizards that could work. Kinda depends on what you have available in your area and $$$. Like jeweled lacertas (pic related).
>>
File: tokay.jpg (116KB, 567x425px) Image search: [Google]
tokay.jpg
116KB, 567x425px
The great thing about tokays is that 1. they're awesome and 2. they are often VERY cheap.

They are cheap because it is often difficult to sell a tokay and not have it get returned within a couple days because owner was not prepared. They are fuck off fast, they are just as likely to stand and fight as they are to run when threatened, taming them is possible but requires dedication, fast hands, and preferably a thick pair of gloves.

Pic related scenario of calm tokay climbing on hand does not come easy.
>>
Should I handle my leopard geckos more?

I was comfortable only taking them out once or twice a week for about 30 minutes, but they seem like they want out more often. When I clean their cage and put clean water in they will make a beeline out of their hide and start trying to climb on my hand and up my wrist. I never have to pick them up on purpose to take them out. I'll just refuse to take them out and they will start glass surfing and climbing their fake plants trying to get my attention or attempt to climb out themselves. This happens most days a week and I kind of feel bad denying them a chance to explore but I don't want them to become stressed.

Thoughts?
>>
>>2382031
Also I should say that they live in separate tanks and don't display the glass surfing or extreme restlessness normally. This is only when I appear and they realize the lid is off the tank.
>>
>>2382031
You can buy one of those plastic kiddy pools or a large plastic bin or something and put stuff in there for them to climb on and smell. I made a little pen for my late leo (about 5 feet in diameter) that I would let him cruise around in for a half hour every couple days when he got in these moods. He did it mostly because it was mating season and he was wanting to prowl around looking for girls.
>>
>>2381489
Scales look to be in good shape. I'm not very familiar with sand boas but that doesn't appear to me to be a cause for concern if boa is eating and shedding normally.
>>
>>2382048
I checked just now to confirm. It seems pinkish hue on belly scales is a pre-shed indicator for ksb's. Normal.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-15-02-15-48.png (877KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-15-02-15-48.png
877KB, 720x1280px
My chameleon died recently, and I don't know of what.

Is it something that I should look out for in the other one (there were two)? The only issue I had was that the humidifier was busted (new one was ordered) and I didn't leave the heat lamp on this afternoon (since I'm in Florida)
>>
>>2381991
Why aren't you feeding your boas rats?
>>
>>2382052
Chameleons don't have a long lifespan. How old was it?
>>
>>2382055

A month old. It caught me off guard

The thing is, he was fine in the morning when I saw him
>>
>>2382056
They should still live 5 years minimum.
The heat inside your house isnt enough to keep it alive. Chameleons are an advanced species for a reason. Always leave the heat on with a thermostat
>>
>>2382054
Because they're not large enough for rats. I don't start feeding rats until they can eat weaned rats. Mice at that age are more fully formed, and if they aren't nursing they don't have a milk belly, which can cause regurgitation, constipation, and death in sensitive individual boas. Most Colombians handle milk belly ok, but some do not and other boas like B(C)C can be quite sensitive to it. I have heard that separating rat babies from their mothers for a few days can dissipate the effects of milk belly, but since I buy in bulk I can't exactly do that, and it's just easier to feed mice.

Mice also come in sizes smaller than even a pinkie rat, so I have more control over the prey size. Imo a pinkie rat is far too large of a meal for a newborn boa, and they aren't large enough for quite a few months later. Boas switch between prey quite readily, so I have no qualms with them refusing rats in the future like with something like a ball python.
>>
>>2382059
A 15 month old boa should be eating more than large mice and a newborn can easily take something the size of a pinkie.
You're underfeeding your snakes. They should be 3-4 feet long after a year.
>>
>>2380217
How does termite dens remain hot at night? Do you even know the temperatures?
>>
>>2382070
It's underground and very well insulated so it holds onto it heat. Termites are ectotherms so it benefits them too. It's a mutualistic relationship since the python eats the things that come to eat the termites.
>>
>>2382019
Tokays are fucking bad ass as fuck
>>
>>2381881
Hmmm, all my geckos hunt, sometimes they don't care, but some of them pretty much never refuse food
Maybe it depends on how they were raised as babies
I know all cresteds have different personalities though
>>
>>2379615

I do realize that. The person giving them wanted to let go of them together, so i decided i'd take care of them. Also, only if the mealworms move extensively do they immediately go after them. So i've been trying to put in only energetic mealworms.

>>2379935
>>2379937
You're right, i didn't check on the sex of them. This is terrible on my behalf. I'd seen the seller keep like 10 of these guys in a tank and assumed as babies i could keep them. I'll be separating them today. I'd only read up about single beardies.

>>2380772
I've been doing the droplet from a syringe thing. One of them gladly laps it up, the other doesn't. When i dropped a tiny drop on the tip of her face, she slowly took it in.

>>2380856
Major problem with this. How did you get them to eat? I've been dicing and grating up carrots and collard greens and mixing them with mealworms to get the food to move but they don't touch them.

They absolutely love roaches, like both of them jump onto my hand and run up my arm to catch roaches. Then they sit there and stare at me.
>>
>>2382120
About them not eating veggies: how old are they? Younger beardies eat more insects than plants, but as they get older they start preferring vegetables over bugs. They need the extra protein to grow yo
>>
>>2380151
blurry! how old is he? weight?
>>
>>2382056
>1 month old

Ah. Yeah this is why chams are generally considered advanced care difficulty. They are ridiculously sensitive and can die from a number of seemingly minor issues, especially when young.
>>
>>2382161
He's 15 months old. I'm not sure about his weight but hes not overweight or underweight.
>>
>>2379585
yeah /an/ is a mess, but this general usually knows what it's talking about
>>
>>2382266
>/herpg/
>knows what it's talking about
Lol no, the majority here are people who just started out with a leo/beardie/ball. It's best to look up other sources as well before trusting anyone's advice.
>>
>>2381915
cunningham's skinks? it sounds like you're implying you took them from the wild in which case release them. especially if they are rare. otherwise, how many lizards is that colony? they get pretty big for skinks and I don't think multiple in one tank is a good idea
>>
>>2381922
fire skink or crocodile skink maybe
>>2382019
yeah tokays are very impressive.
>>
>>2382056
it doesn't matter if you're in florida. they need that heat and humidity still
>>
>>2382270
Youd be surprised what people here have experience with.
>>
File: 20170515_153518.jpg (550KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170515_153518.jpg
550KB, 1920x1080px
On the internet nobody knows you're a snake
Nobody
>>
>>2382325
so what's the difference between bloods and short tails in regards to temperament?
>>
>>2382328
Mines a Sumatran red so he's pretty mild mannered. Sumatran short tails are the ones who are either black or red, but generally don't get as large as the true bloods. Hes a different subspecies than a blood so its kinda innacurate to call him one even if he looks the same.
Malaysians (true blood pythons) are a bit more moody generally but they're a lot harder to find. I suggest a Sumatran in every case if you're looking for a pet.
I have no experience with borneo short tails.
>>
>>2380151
>40 inches
you remind me of one of those moms who says their kid is 36 months old instead of just saying 3 years, lol
>>
>>2382068
They're actually not undersized or underfed, you're probably just used to power/overfed boas. The two girls were 3' at a year, the male is around 30"-32".

Yearlings average 2.5'-3', not 3'-4'. At 2 years (when not over/power fed), they should be 3'-4'. 3 years 4'-5', and at 4-6 years is when they should reach 6'. They shouldn't be 7'+ until they're over 6 years old.

Over/power feeding drastically reduces their lifespans and can result in fatty liver disease. A slower growing snakes is healthy than one grown too fast, it's hard to underfeed a boa as long as it's eating something.

Sure, they CAN take a pinkie rat at birth. Doesn't mean they SHOULD. I'd start newborns on fuzzy mice, and within a month or two they should be ready to graduate to hoppers, and then they'll stay on hoppers until they 9-11 months old, and should be on weaned rats by 1.5 years old. A yearling on small rats is oversized, and a boa eating medium rats before 2.5-3 years old is also oversized.
>>
I posted thread here: >>2382386
Concerning my corn snake and her health. I did not see this thread here or I would have posted.

I'm incredibly worried and if anyone can help it would be appreciated
>>
>>2382325
I can always tell if someone is a snake if they can't type the character '1'
>>
>>2382425
The button still works though

>>2382379
Id say 4 feet if he was 4 feet. Hes not though
>>
>>2382391
I kind of find it weird that your corn snake used to hide all the time. In my (admittedly limited) experience with them, they're pretty active snakes that don't really mind handing around in the open
>>
>>2382461
Hey, i wasn't being mean, I was just commenting on how maternal we get over our babies and thought the comparison was funny
>>
>>2382275
No I got them from a breeder, I do not live in Australia.

I have 3 babies right now, they have ample space to live. They are a social reptile, living in tight groups. They would not be happy alone as they rely on each other for protection (not that there is any danger in my Reptile room).

In my country they are incredibly rare, im probably one of the few dozens in my country who has some. I barely got them off the breeder before hordes of people showed up to get them.
>>
>>2382391

replied to this in your original thread.
>>
>>2382505
neat! post pics?
>>
File: CunnhamSkinks.jpg (532KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
CunnhamSkinks.jpg
532KB, 1024x768px
lewd
>>
>>2382509
I get pics soon of the babies. They are very tame provided they dont get a fright. Old enough to carry around house, not old enough for outside of house.

I have Water dragons, Blue tongues, leopard Geckos and now Cunninghams but I think Cunningham Skink is by far my favorite provided they can get as tame as all of my others. To breed them will be difficult since I do not have enough genetic distance between these babies.

Cunninghams are unique, they can "sense" their siblings and not mate, or avoid it. Instead looking for the mate of most distant relative. This is why they can live in small groups.

I get picture in about 1 hour when I get home.
>>
File: 2kqRJhy.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
2kqRJhy.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
>>2382513
>>2382509
>>2382511
>>2382505
>>2382275

Ok here come photo dump. These guys are less than a month old and already they are taking to training well. One came up to the glass when I came home for a nice photo.

I 3d print my housing for reptiles like mini castles or hobbit hills. For these guys im thinking of doing a western saloon type house. But for now they live in bushes and various containers and rolls to hide in on News Paper.

Here is photo dump.
>>
File: JV65pYA.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
JV65pYA.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>2382567
>>
File: Vl1AW7Y.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
Vl1AW7Y.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>2382570
>>
File: 5XpjcCV.jpg (2MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
5XpjcCV.jpg
2MB, 4608x3456px
>>2382572
>>
>>2382574
That is all really, I cannot wait to they grow into a more mature and natural environment I have planned.

Final photo too big, ah well. Those show them enough for now.
>>
Can anyone with leachianus experience let me know what kinda temperament they have? are we talking tokay? or just crested gecko?
>>
>>2378971
is thta millet you have him on? there's lost os shit, but it's supposed to be millet right? my girlfriend and I are making a setup with that digging clay from idfk who. nobody has actually used it because of "muh impactions". but we'll have the little knob eating in a bowl not on the substraight. if we see too much clay in her poo we'll just clean out the clay and save it for something else.
>>
>>2382651
uros actually eat millet so its fine to keep them on it
>>
>>2382567

Awesome! 3D printed tank decor is a great idea. I never thought of that application for the tech.
>>
>>2382724
I use it for wargaming terrain, airsoft weapon upgrades, camera mounts, trophies and animal accessories.

Considerably cheaper and more fun than buying them from others, only downside is painting them yourself.
>>
>>2382593

I've never owned one but have heard they can be a bit cage aggressive, meaning a little nippy when you have your hand near them in the tank but calm once you bring them out.

Now tokays I do have experience with and I'm certain leachies are considerably calmer.
>>
File: 20170516_094315.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170516_094315.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Say hi to my nigga Hugo Chávez, the socialist dinosaur
>>
>>2382930
boring
>>
>>2382935
:(
>>
>>2382513
>>2382505
that's neat. I didn't know they were social like that
>>
>>2382391
I think it is normal for them to not hide. and snakes don't have eyelids, so it probably does sleep but it doesn't look like it
>>
>>2382930
Get the fuck out, marxist scum. I named my geckos Adolf and Eva, much more fitting names
>>
>>2382930
Tell him to go to Venezuela and fix his shit
>>
File: IMG_8266.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8266.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Hey fuys my female redtail is about 5 months old now and 2 and a half feet long
Is this a normal size for her i had a friend who had the same species and at 6 months was about 3 and a half feet and that was a male
>>
File: IMG_2594.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2594.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>2383076
Sounds good to me. 3.5' at 6 months is absolutely huge and I honestly have no idea how you managed to get that other snake to that size so quickly, unless the age was wrong. 3.5' is something I'd expect from a 1.5-2 year old.

Here was my sunglow at 5 months, since she was the bigger one of my current babies. She was maybe 24"-25" at the time, eating hopper mice every 2 weeks.
>>
>>2383076
Its absolutely not normal.
Please accurately measure your snake.

http://serpwidgets.com/main/measure
>>
>>2383016
why, because your geckos are assholes?
>>
File: 1445701523759.jpg (6KB, 250x222px) Image search: [Google]
1445701523759.jpg
6KB, 250x222px
For those who have had a red tegu, how much work do you think it is relative to say, a uromastyx or an ackie monitor? How fast do they grow? Also, am I going to go broke trying to feed it turkey, bugs, eggs, and all sorts of stuff like that? Do their poops smell terrible?
>>
>>2383164
Because they are nobility
>>
>>2383178
A ton of work
you're going to spend a ton of money and their shits are going to smell terrible
>>
>>2383178

We had a tripfag here for a while who had two argentine b&w tegus. I dunno if anyone here current or past has a red.
>>
>>2383178
how do we go from this
https://youtu.be/42ssmaEES9s
>>
>>2383233
to this
https://youtu.be/9PqnVIDdDT8
>>
>>2383236
>>2383233
Bad owners looking for youtube ad revenue
https://youtu.be/tax3Cm9jmVA
This is a good owner
>>
>>2383251
>calls good reptile owners bad owners
>proceeds to post a video of a live feeding
subtle
>>
>>2383262
Did you watch the video?
>>
>>2383262
Read the description.
Hes on prekilled now.
>>
>>2383262
>Good owners
>Constantly overfeed it to make videos
The lizard is obese. That's not taking proper care of our
>>
>>2383278
>implying
the tegu is a normal weight; they mention its weight/length in several videos
try again
>>
>>2383280
Please don't get the tegu you were asking about. You'll just abuse it like those faggots do
>>
>>2383286
wew, why so salty though, nobody insulted you, you came after good reptile owners without knowing what you were talking about, and i don't know why
>>
>>2383295
Please never get that animal
>>
>>2383299
He's not me, I'm >>2383178

And I'm pretty sure I won't be able to have a tegu or iguana until I have a house of my own so it's a no go for the next 5ish years. I was just curious and was thinking that red tegus and iguanas look like red dragons from WoW
>>
The gook with the tegu is not that good, the tegu lost part of it's tail due to stupidity on their part, and his wife was biting grapes in her mouth before giving them to the lizard, and human saliva is relatively disgusting in most of the animal kingdom and bad for reptiles
>>
>>2383433
However, I can't comment on the weight. Nor sure about that
Alls I know, these gooks ain't role models for herp care
>>
>>2383262
If the owner is experienced and has tongs or similar tool handy he can easily preventable a mouth from biting the snake if he thinks there will be trouble. But a healthy snake with good genes is almost like a master martial artist, they know exactly how to strike and grab the mouth without getting hurt
Besides, not all snakes eat dead. Don't be an ignorant douche
>>
>>2383438
*easily prevent a mouse from
>>
>>2383251
Umm, the cuck edited out the best part. Gay
>>
>>2383441
No, I thought he wasn't going to take the mouse and stopped recording. The moment i stopped he took it.
>>
>>2383445
I was just trying to bait one of the vegan nu-males anyways
>>
So I'm currently caring for pacific tree frogs and I noticed something; Marijuana plants attract a lot of tiny flies, some of which stray into the tree frog tank and are eaten. I want a few more plants in my terrarium and a plant inside attracting flies seem like a bonus, and it'd be strong enough for the leaves to hold them.
>>
>>2383538
I suggest suicide.
The flies are attracted to you you fucking pothead.
>>
File: 20170516_023304.jpg (1MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170516_023304.jpg
1MB, 3984x2988px
>>2383538
Meant to ask if it'd be toxic. Oops. Also, my pacman frog. I think he's an ornate, but not quite certain, but I love the little guy. Adorable.
>>
>>2380133
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: tiger_pop.jpg (428KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
tiger_pop.jpg
428KB, 900x600px
What temperatures do cresties actually need? I keep reading between 71-83 depending on the caresheet. Are they simply robust enough to thrive in that entire range?
>>
>>2383628
Yeah, I never bothered with heat at all unless it dropped under 70.
They're from a place with a really mild climate.
>>
I just made this video on how to measure snakes because of the anon who thinks his boa is way larger than it should be.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-ewkrk6QM
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Found a tiny newt when I was walking the dogs this morning.
>>
>>2383628
I've heard they're fine down to 65. Was I misinformed?
>>
>>2383643
I have never ever found a newt or a salamander in the wild ;-;
>>
>>2383643
lissotriton sp.
male
>>
>>2383538
Don't grow weed in your frog tank. I don't know if it's toxic to them but the stickiness of the buds would almost certainly be bad for the frogs. Also the tiny flies are most likely fungus gnats. They are attracted to all plant matter. Just plant some pothos in the tank, it's safe and sturdy enough that the frogs won't trample it to death.

>>2383654
65 only okay as a bare minimum night temperature. It must rise to mid 70's during the day if night gets that cold.
>>
>>2383628
Right around 75 is optimal. Don't let the temp exceed 80 as that is their redline maximum.
>>
I just re did my bp tanks, and neither of them have moved. It's been a few days
They have hides, a cool side and warm side, and plenty of water.
One of them is in shed too, and I'm slightly concerned thst he hasn't attempted to run it off
>>
>>2383016
>tells a socialist to get out for being marxist scum
>named his geckos after socialists
hmmm
>>
>>2383295
>why so salty bro I just think animal abuse is ok heh I said "wew" do I fit in yet guys?? xD
>>
>>2383538
DUDE
>>
>>2383690
National Socialism exalts and celebrates supremacy. Marxism was illegal in NS Germany. It doesn't hold back the strong by benefiting the weak like true Marxism would, nor is it meant to be a tool for the government to enslave. NS rewards the elite who have supreme genetics and/or have carried out supreme deeds
>>
>>2383689
They'll usually hide during the day, and a snake in shed is even more likely to hide and not move. If by "run it off" you mean shed, he will shed when he's ready. Unless it's stuck, there is no reason to worry. You can tell when it's stuck because their skin will be wrinkly and the skin will start flaking off.
>>
>>2383692
:^)
>>
File: IMG_20170517_144000.jpg (59KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170517_144000.jpg
59KB, 600x800px
Can anyone ID this tortoise?
>>
Any tips to tame a very grump chameleon?
We have a pretty young veiled in our store, he can't be more than 4 or 5 inches svl
But he's mean as hell, turns black and starts hissing and biting if you get near him.

Should I just let him get mad and bite but just leave my hand there until he gets over it?

Similar follow up question, we also have a tokay for some god awful reason, and I know they can be even harder to deal with but it does need to be moved every so often. I don't think this one is full grown but how bad are tokay bites anyways?
>>
>>2384025
If you work at petsmart I regularly got pissed off chameleons while working there
They usually got stressed into illness/death by either incompetent coworkers or dumb shoppers
IMO best advice is just ignore it and do what you have to then leave it be, it may never tame down but thats the best way to go about it, make sure it has alot of cover if its tank seems a bit open

Tokay bites can draw blood but not that bad, the pressure will be annoying and then have a tendency to not want to let go
>>
>>2383894
Neurotic inbred shitmutt
>>
>>2383762
Thanks
The other one is about to shed too, so that explains it
>>
File: tokek1.jpg (829KB, 1837x3264px) Image search: [Google]
tokek1.jpg
829KB, 1837x3264px
r8 my new lad
>>
File: tokek2.jpg (843KB, 1837x3264px) Image search: [Google]
tokek2.jpg
843KB, 1837x3264px
>>2384182
>>
>>2384187
>>2384182
>red heat bulb
Get a ceramic please
>>
>>2384192
>not having infrared to take pictures when the lights are out
>>
>>2384197
Just turn the lights back on. Reptiles can see red light just as well as and its not infared. Its just red
>>
>>2384182
it so qt
>>
>>2384222
Not quite. Geckos can see a part of red spectrum but cannot see as much of it as humans can. This is what led to the confusion over it whether it's suitable to leave those things on all night long (it isn't- stresses them out). You will notice when you turn on a red bulb in otherwise dark room, the geckos will tend to look directly at the filament as that is the main thing they can see.

Anyway, I also use red lights that I turn on only when I want to check on them or take night pictures. Works great and spooks them a lot less than it does if I turn on regular lights in the room.
>>
>>2384182

Super smiley. :)
>>
>>2378971

Ah, I used to buy these for 5 bucks in Morocco when I was a kiddo. Awesome as fuck lizards.
>>
I found a snake drowning in my pool, how self would it be to keep it?
>>
>>2384314
If it's wild native. You should release it or give it to a rescue. If it's an invasive species. You should consider keeping it.
>>
>>2384315

I am trying to find the species online, but I can't find it.
>>
File: 4804663182_9c27954450_b.jpg (672KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
4804663182_9c27954450_b.jpg
672KB, 1024x768px
>>2384315
>>2384316

Nevermind, I found it. It's a Ladder Snake.
>>
File: 20170518_083335.jpg (325KB, 1046x1860px) Image search: [Google]
20170518_083335.jpg
325KB, 1046x1860px
>>2384318
>>
>>2382052
>Rango alternate ending
>>
>>2382141

I'd asked the trainer and he doesn't know the age for sure. He got a small bunch recently, and told me that he had some for sale. Judging by the size,

The below chart is the average size of over 50 bearded dragons during the first 12 months:
Length (Inches)Age (Months)
3-4 in.0-1 months
5-9 in.2 months
8-11 in.3 months
9-12 in.4 months
11-16 in.5 months
11-18 in.6 months
13-20 in.8 months
16-22 in.12 months

Source: http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon.php

I'd say about 2 months old!
>>
File: tmp_1081-12474-1356460855.jpg (260KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_1081-12474-1356460855.jpg
260KB, 1080x1920px
Lookit this tort I found in my yard.
>>
>>2384354
not a tortoise
>>
how about a new thread
>>
>>2384401
We're a ways away from bump limit still, anon.
>>
>>2384352
Then don't worry if it doesn't want greens, it's perfectly normal for now. It'll want them more once it's bigger
>>
>>2384354
cool
>>
File: man eat.jpg (308KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
man eat.jpg
308KB, 1536x2048px
got a tokay a couple weeks ago and she is taming down nicely. now she only barks if i accidentally wake her up lol
>>
>>2384665
You can lie all you want.
Those cut proof gloves tell the real story
>>
>>2384678
its like the abused woman who puts makeup on her black eye... also this photo was taken before i was comfortable handling her without a glove. might see if i can snap a photo without a glove, but she has a personal vendetta against my cellphone case
>>
>>2384688
>but she has a personal vendetta against my cellphone case
My boa constrictor hated my old phone. It started ringing once while I was holding him and he never forgave it. To this day he hates silver phones.
>>
>>2384665
How are tokays, aside from the bitey nature? I've heard they are pretty interesting
>>
>>2384691
>It started ringing once while I was holding him and he never forgave it. To this day he hates silver phones.
why is this so cute to me?
>>
>>2384866
Because he's just cute in general.
I switched to a black phone because of it.
When he sees visitors with silver phones he cocks back and hisses at them until they put it away
>>
>>2384896
anything in the same species should theoretically produce virile offspring
>>
>>2384896
why would you purposely bastardize them though
>>
>>2384899
>>2384900
Deleted the post because i remembered that species are separated based on their ability to produce fertile offspring, and that a subspecies by nature implies they can. Its actually closer to go back to Las Vegas where i found the first two than to find the subspecies in my own state, funny enough.
>>
File: IMG_9956.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9956.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Is my boy getting fat or is he just THICC
>>
>>2384354
thats a turtle
>>
File: Snek, hunter of frogs.jpg (142KB, 672x394px) Image search: [Google]
Snek, hunter of frogs.jpg
142KB, 672x394px
Found this little guy hunting frogs near the waterlogged heap previously known as my pool
>>
>>2385524
Looks just about right for a uro. You can weigh him on a gram scale to see if he's in the average for his age and species.
>>
I'm moving across country and it's about a 12 hour drive. What is the best way to travel my geckos? Should I put them in deli cups with a heat pack and in a box like you would when shipping or is there a better way for them to travel with me in the car?
>>
>>2385685

Yes, you package them in the same way as you would do for shipping. Test your heat packs ahead of time to see what kind of temperatures they're putting out and for how long. If it's not strictly necessary to use a heat pack, don't use one. Better, and by that I mean safer, to err on the side of a bit too cool than too hot.

What kind of geckos? If leopard geckos, they are fine at the ~75 F the interior of an air conditioned car would be on a summer road trip. No heat pack needed.
>>
File: IMG_20170223_211854.jpg (1MB, 3855x2541px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170223_211854.jpg
1MB, 3855x2541px
Been a while /an/ I'll post some updates.

Pic 1

Sadly the beautiful BST I got in either had a genetic defect or came sick. Long story but short to say she came from a good breeder but was sick or had issues develop in shipping.

Sadly she died. R.I.P. Semara.
>>
Got my daughter who is 3 (with supervision) a Banana King. High White/Reverse Stripe.

Has the whole idgaf attitude and ate once already. It's just now been a week.

She is happy and the snake is healthy. Picked her up off a bud for a trade of my armadillo lizard (not the true one).
>>
File: IMG_20170517_091945.jpg (755KB, 2980x2106px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170517_091945.jpg
755KB, 2980x2106px
Pardon the autistic lack of pic
>>
>>2385952
Thats a real shame.
I'm the guy who helped you name her and I eventually ended up getting my own short tail.
>>
Here are links for the rack I built. Besides the screws looking ghetto it's actually a great light rack. Also put up my 4 new adult balls, my Garg, and a queen ant I finally caught this year.

https://ibb.co/b6PYvv
https://ibb.co/gPOF8F
https://ibb.co/b6PYvv
https://ibb.co/dUKcNa
https://ibb.co/iyWP2a
https://ibb.co/j7GP2a
https://ibb.co/ky3hoF
https://ibb.co/kF6rha
https://ibb.co/nL6rha
https://ibb.co/iGGDvv
https://ibb.co/eE8RFv
https://ibb.co/krFHNa
https://ibb.co/ciqj2a
>>
>>2385956

Well good news is next clutch he is sending me a replacement.

I plan to breed bloods now. Get another one and then I plan to get T- Neg Albinos, Black Bloods, and then probably a pair of Ivory or Matrix.
>>
>>2383894
Brown recluse
>>
Hey everyone,

I just got a leopard gecko from one of my buddys.
The setup he gave me is pretty basic:
Cold hideout on one side
heat pad under piece of tile on other side
Hot hideout placed on the piece of tile

And then a bunch of sand.

I was reading and I know im supposed to not use sand, but it was already in there. I'd like to switch it out without stressing them too much so how long should I wait? They didn't have to travel a long way not even a mile in a car.

Also which of the hideouts should be moist, right now i have both of them with a moist substrate
>>
>>2386121
>sand
remove it as soon as possible
>>
>>2386121
Yeah sand is shit you should remove it asap. Tiles or paper towels are safest bet.
And as far as hides go, you should idealy have one on hot side, one on cold side and one humid hide. They use the humid hide only when shedding, but still... better to have one more hide, than gecko with respiratory isues or missing fingers.
>>
>>2386131
>>2386122
I was also looking at 'Zoo Med Eco Carpet' is that good stuff? I'm about to go to the pet store in a little. I feel like paper towels will look awful.

Also for the hides, thanks for the information I'll pick one more up. The humid hide would also be cold right? Lastly, should I put some of the dry medium in the other two hides? Do lizards care about comfy?

Also plants, I want to get live plants is it worth it?
>>
File: 566896821.jpg (56KB, 448x299px) Image search: [Google]
566896821.jpg
56KB, 448x299px
>>2386134
>'Zoo Med Eco Carpet
No idea, but looks fine. Basicaly you want something that he/she wont swallow when hunting.
The humid hide is fine on the cold side or in the midle.
I dont know about medium in hides. Im thinking about it myself as well but still not sure.
My gecko is curently on paper towels and Im thinking about replacing it with dry dirt so Its same as in nature (they live in dry lands of afghanistan pic related), but people are going to tell you that if you use something other than tiles/paper towels you are worse than hitler.
Dont think live plants are good idea tho. They are gonna need some sort of UV light that your gecko doesnt need and you would need to water them which is going to raise humidy which again your gecko doesnt need (too much humidity is going to lead to respiratory isues)
>>
>>2386143
All very good points thanks for that information. I'll stick with fake plants.

Also just fyi he gave me new zealand sphagnum moss which they seem to like
>>
>>2386151
sapgnum moss is good to have in moist hide, because its retains humidity well and you dont have to mist it daily.
>>
What's a good substrate to replace the pebbles in my baby Yellow Slider's tank?
>>
>>2386262
stoneplates make it easy to clean all the dirt it'll produce
>>
File: IMG_20170520_010216.jpg (3MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170520_010216.jpg
3MB, 3456x4608px
Found him living under my steps
Seen him a couple times now sitting below the porchlight
Not sure what to name him
My cat leaves him alone
>>
>>2386389
Name him staypuft
>>
Can OP shill my video in the next thread?
It's informational.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-ewkrk6QM
>>
So im having a weird scenario where a dumerils ive had for about a year(he's about 2 years old) was eating fine every other week since i got him but suddenly in the last month and a half he's been refusing all his meals. Ive been trying weekly for the last 6 weeks with the same type of food(fresh specimens every time), have tried braining, even chicken souping them and he's just not only refusing to eat it but downright defensive striking it and backing away. thoughts on this? what can i do to solve this?
>>
>>2386554
stop trying weekly
wait at least two more weeks before trying again
if he's two years old waiting that much longer shouldnt be a problem
>>
/b/
>>
>>2386596
quality post
>>
File: Kawaii Snake (2).jpg (95KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
Kawaii Snake (2).jpg
95KB, 1024x685px
snakes in hats?
>>
File: 1491779741258.jpg (32KB, 700x468px) Image search: [Google]
1491779741258.jpg
32KB, 700x468px
>>
File: Kawaii Snake (1).jpg (29KB, 768x685px) Image search: [Google]
Kawaii Snake (1).jpg
29KB, 768x685px
>>
>>
File: Kawaii Herp.jpg (565KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Kawaii Herp.jpg
565KB, 2000x1000px
>>
File: 1492559240728.jpg (44KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1492559240728.jpg
44KB, 800x450px
>>
File: feature7.jpg (85KB, 980x682px) Image search: [Google]
feature7.jpg
85KB, 980x682px
>>
>>
>>
>>2387007
nice ants, but why did you post them on /herp/
>>
>>2386998
>frog achieves CHIM
>>
>>2386544

Done!

also NEW THREAD TIME GOGOGOGO

>>2387119

>>2387119

>>2387119
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 67

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.