[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>your country >do you believe in evolution?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 221
Thread images: 31

File: Evolution of the Wing and Bird.jpg (386KB, 1500x1004px) Image search: [Google]
Evolution of the Wing and Bird.jpg
386KB, 1500x1004px
>your country
>do you believe in evolution?
>>
Considering this board has daily feather vs scale paleofag debates whenever /aq/fag gets butthurt at his own failure of a life I'd say yeah, we're pretty evolutionist.
>>
>>2374028
Russia
I'm of the opinion that if you don't believe in evolution you are subhuman
>>
A frighteningly large amount of Americans do not "believe" in evolution
>>
>>2374028
America
Strong Christian
Yes
>>
>>2374046
*chuckles*
You believe we came from monkeys? But we're made in GOD'S IMAGE. BUT THERE'S STILL MONKEYS.
>>
>>2374048
Maybe God himself evolved from a divine monkey and then created us.
>>
>>2374048
what's with the monky argument? why can't creationists grab literally any other two animals on earth?
>>
>>2374028
America and yes.

Honestly the ways people try to make dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals gel with the bible are pretty entertaining. You have the fringe ones who say they're a lie of the devil or a test of faith from God, then you have people that say they were some kind of unholy abomination made by pre-flood humans like ye old Jurassic park. and then you have the semi-reasonable who state that the days listed in the creation story don't stand for literal 24 hour days, but millions of years of time.
>>
>>2374055
When I was in primary school, I had two American friends whose parents forbade even discussion of dinosaurs. If they saw dinosaurs on TV they would switch it off and start praying. This one time my mom organised a trip to the local natural history museum and I was so excited to invite my friends with but both of them said they're not allowed to go and their moms would pray for me.

Shit's fucking insane man.
>>
>>2374045
A frighteningly large amount of Americans think 1 century of science has negated 2 millennia of Christianity. People aren't stupid. If there was no evidence for Christianity they would have abandoned it a long time ago.
>>
File: e.jpg (2MB, 3271x2459px) Image search: [Google]
e.jpg
2MB, 3271x2459px
>>2374031
>whenever /aq/fag gets butthurt at his own failure of a life
sorry buddy, I was in cabo the last week and a half. I missed out on your baits.

I bought another condo there, so that was cool.
>>
>>2374063
If that's you, you look like robin williams had sex with my dad and made a love child in a creepy way..
>>
>>2374085
kek
thanks?
>>
>>2374059
Is that why you think people have religion anon? Holy shit.
No sweetie people believe in religion to fulfill their drive for purpose, quell a fear of the unknown, and explain philosophical concepts like morality and the human conscious. The only reason people hold on to their ass backwards beliefs is out of fear or cognitive dissonance. If you don't believe in god, what will happen after you die? Someone with stock in religion doesn't want to be faced with the inevitability of life not having a purpose outside of existence and death being a return to the void.
>>
>>2374045
Its all a game of semantics
How it goes is
>adaptation is clearly real
>natural and artificial selection is clearly real
>genetic mutations occur, obviously this is real
>they call this "micro-evolution"
But the catch is
>since the world is only 6000 years old, this small micro-evolution could never change one species into a complete other species
>inheriting your mothers eyes and your fathers hair color will never change you into another species!

>i didnt come from no ape!

So while its a dire situation, there is still a good 75% understanding on the topic. Its just fighting about the long term, worrying about the age of the earth and equating "evolution" with things like abiogenesis and other theories on the beginning of life that arent god.
>>
Russia
Not "believe" irrationally, but accept this version due to numerous objective evidences. Sadly, after collapse of Soviet Union the Orthodoxial church established itself in society and now has rather strong influence.
>>
>>2374028
A lot of Americans believe in evolution, despite the country being mostly Christian (mainly Protestant, Catholic, Mormon) with agnostics pointed more towards religion (as in they believe there may still be a god or gods) as the largest nonreligious democratic.
However, more modern Christians and agnostics more closer to religion tend to rationalize evolution as part of God's(or gods) plan in creating life.
Regardless of how Christians justify creationism, some of these people take their ignorance to the extreme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TME30pPBw58
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVHWq0ZGE_Y
There is even a planned religious theme-park for Noah's Ark, to get children to believe in this story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iahxtUJvBgQ
>>
>USA
>Seems to me to provide reasonable explanations for many natural phenomena, but am open to alternative explanations and not dogmatic in my belief of it.
>>
File: 200209-t-rex-the-tyrant-king-005.jpg (183KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
200209-t-rex-the-tyrant-king-005.jpg
183KB, 1200x800px
>>2374153
>I laughed at 3:01 in the third video about the theme park
Could you imagine one of these on the ark? The apex of apexes. The ultimate robust giant killing machine equipped with massive overkill jaws, possibly the best precise vision in the animal kingdom, and a large appetite.

What about the sheer size and weight of many of the sauropods, which would likely be too heavy for a wooded frame and also require massive amounts of food.

Now to be fair, these religious people believe/argue that Noah took 2 of every 'kind' of animal, meaning it did not necessarily have to be t-rex or argentinosaurus for example but rather their smaller ancestors. PROBLEM being that they still technically believe in evolution, but dinosaurs like t-rex for example could not exist within the thunders or even thousands of years available to evolve after the flood. Meaning just the existence of a t-rex alone would appear to punch in a pretty logical inconsistency hole.
>>
File: Tyrannosauroidea_size_01.jpg (349KB, 2628x884px) Image search: [Google]
Tyrannosauroidea_size_01.jpg
349KB, 2628x884px
>>2374187
Well that's assuming they took the ancestor of tyrannosaurus. They could just have taken a small species related to it; imagine dilong or perhaps different, more related small species we have not rediscover yet.

Not everything on the ark had to be the earliest branching ancestor to modern creatures similar to each other, like the common ancestor to all ducks.
>>
>America
>Yes, I am studying zoology, it wouldn't make sense for me not to
>>
It's a shame how monotheists fell into into the "Earth is 6000 years old" meme. The bible merely explains the moral history of humans when we stopped being hunters/gatherers and started living close together in cities and all of the "creative" things ( good and evil) we started doing. This started roughly around 4000 BC with Mesopotamia and ancient Egypt (hence muh 6000 years old meme) It uses allegory and esoteric symbolism to try to get the point across.

The Bible, along with any religious text, has no scientifc affiliation and there's no reason why the two schools of thought should be at odds.
>>
Mexico
I accept evolution at the same degree i accept relativity: if any of those theories are falsified with an experiment, i will no longer accept it.
At least gringos know (sort of) what evolution implies... the average mexican is a religious nut which is unaware of the evolution theory.
>>
>>2374269
I think the 6,000 year old thing came from the middle ages when some monk autistically calculated the ages of everyone important in the bible and deduced Adam and Eve must've been created 6,000 years ago.
>>
File: dude_stop.jpg (126KB, 558x372px) Image search: [Google]
dude_stop.jpg
126KB, 558x372px
USA
I believe in adaptation, but I'm a little skeptic when it comes to evolution. I don't discredit the theory, but I don't 100% agree with it either. That's why it's a theory, not a law

>>2374048
>*chuckles*
I honestly can't tell if you're pretending, or you're actually retarded
>>
>>2374365
>That's why it's a theory, not a law
it's both, but it's hardly worth arguing.

we might as well argue the theory of electricity or the theory of gravity. Both are just theories but they also have laws.
>>
>>2374366
True
I just think adaptation is a better way of looking at things, and we can observe it.
Am I mixing up the two? It's been a while since bio
>>
>>2374370
nah, adaptation is just a description of the main mechanism of evolution.

If we agree that individual animals can only adapt to new environments up to a certain point, and that beyond that point the individual no longer adapts but the population can,

then we agree on evolution.

For example if we agree that a wolf can't adapt by itself to live entirely in the ocean, but over millions of years a population of wolves perhaps could, then we've got evolution.
>>
>>2374187
Most of the registered dog breeds today were created in the last 200 years.

So imagine what can be accomplished I. the next few thousand years.
>>
>>2374028
There's nothing to "believe".

That's the way life on this planet works, and anyone that doesn't understand that simple process is a fucking idiot that should probably be culled for the benefit of future generations.
>>
>>2374393
Humans applied pressure and control to the procreation of those breeds. Hell, a lot of inbreeding even went into it, which is generally not what would happen in nature.

Unless you believe 'God' 'guided' animals to breed in the way he wanted.
>>
>>2374393
>Most of the registered dog breeds today were irreparably damaged by shitty pet and show breeders in the last 200 years.

FTFY
>>
>>2374048
Yes we're made in God's image. How were we made? Could it be possible that to a being that time is meaningless, he could've created using the natural processes he set in place over millions of years? Seems good to me.
>>
>>2374028
First, we have to keep in mind that it's just a THEORY.
Still, I do believe it happens, you know, it happens all the time, it's just not man-made!
>>
>>2374414
>that it's just a THEORY.

No, it's not.

The fossil record clearly demonstrates the evolution of species over time. Domestic dogs demonstrate this process, as do all of our livestock, as we have interfered with the natural evolution of species through our deliberate breeding programs.
>>
>>2374416
Oh, my bad, I see we're talking about evolution here.
I thought this was about "global warming", or, as sensible people like me like to call it, natural climate change
>>
>>2374414
Theory =/= Hypothesis
>>2374418
https://xkcd.com/1732/
>natural
Go back to /pol/
>>
>>2374365
It's a theory because we are constantly learning and understanding new things about it, not because it hasn't been proven; it absolutely has. If we were to lock it down as is then there would be inconsistencies later on and to avoid that and gather the best info in understanding it is why we have not moved it from a theory status. The argument of "it hasn't been proven and that why it's a theory and not a law" is what Christians say because they have no real understanding of how it works.
>>
>>2374028
Looking at this image just causes more questions - what was the purpose of animals possessing half-way wings? They couldn't fly with them or do anything except be not as efficient arms

So a group of animals basically formed half-wings as...decor? And this decor somehow progressed to being usable for flight?
How did flight feathers perfectly designed for flight come about from something not designed for flight (so part of an animal that couldnt fly)?

I 'believe' in evolution but I dont understand all parts of it and would like someone who knows better to explain
>>
>your country
New Zealand
>do you believe in evolution?
I believe in microevolution, but not macroevolution
Information can be mutated or changed, but new information cannot be created
>>
Philippines
I just evolved my Squirtle so yes
>>
poland
yes
>>
>>2374484
If you're small enough, you can glide.
Otherwise, they make nice fans for cooling and nice rudders for swimming or agility.
>>
>>2374484
They were stancers with muh spoilers.
>>
>>2374059
You overestimate the intelligence of your average person...
Also the number of non-devout people in the US is rising every year
>>
Israel.

I "believe" in evolution, but most people here are either too religious or too fucking stupid to "believe" in it or any other scientific statement even though they enjoy the fruits of science.
Considering to move to somewhere in north America after i finish my 3 years of mandatory army service. This place is really bad.
>>
>>2374456
There are not enough cars, air-conditioners, or hairspray canisters on Earth to change the atmosphere that much over just 100 years. It took tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of years to create the atmosphere and have it stabilize for life to form. Humans are a piss drop in the ocean in comparison to the vastness of the planet. If we were to vanish tomorrow all traces of us would be gone in a century or two. We are not powerful enough to cause any widespread change to the planet. Even a full scale nuclear war wouldn't have a lasting impact.
>>
>>2374516
>"believe" in evolution, but most people here are either too religious or too fucking stupid to "believe" in it or any other scientific statement even though they enjoy the fruits of science.
>Considering to move to somewhere in north America after i finish my 3 years of mandatory army service. This place is really bad.
cannot you emigrate now?
>>
>>2374048
How do you know what God looks like?
'In his image' doesn't even have to mean that we look like God does, but that he created us in a way that was pleasing to him.
>>
>>2374365
>That's why it's a theory, not a law
Seems you've got your semantics mixed up. Neither a theory or a law is more "solid" than the other. The difference is a law is usually a formula, equation, or short statement. A theory is a comprehensive explanation of phenomena.

For example Newton devised the three laws of motion, and many mathematical formulas relating to calculus. Those are laws. But calculus as a whole might be called a theory since it is a large field of its own.
>>2374370
Adaptation and evolution are essentially the same things though, the only difference maybe being time scale. What the other anon said is right.
>>2374487
>I believe in microevolution, but not macroevolution
>Information can be mutated or changed, but new information cannot be created
So how do you explain the fossil record in any way? Clearly across millions of years, life on Earth has become extremely diverse using many variations on the same genetic material and proteins.
>>
>>2374487
>but new information cannot be created

What do you mean? Like creating new genes?
>>
>>2374519
Are you an idiot?

The Earth and all life on it would certainly survive whatever damage we may do. But to say we can have zero influence on the biosphere just shows you are clueless.
>>
>>2374526
>>
>>2374519
>We are not powerful enough to cause any widespread change to the planet

Coral bleaching.
>>
>>2374498
Alright I see that, but how would that have progressed to flight?
Better gliders selected for perhaps?

So the birds we have came from a very small group
>>
>>2374487
>new information cannot be created
So... you believe everything that exists today is exactly the same that has always existed?
>>
>>2374530
Im too autistic to understand what you're trying to say
>>
>>2374529
There's a big difference between "zero change" and "we are turning Earth into an oven at the speed of light". Excess emissions would have an effect, but we aren't powerful enough to do that yet. People freak out that letting their car idle for 5 minutes is causing a hole in the ozone layer and that's silly. Whether I take my car to the store, 100 drive to the store, or a million do it today, it will have no effect on anything because of the sheer amount of air that is above is. There are billions of pounds of air circulating up there. We couldn't fuck it up if we wanted to. Nothing short of a meteor impact would do that, and even then Earth would recover. All this "global warming" panic is just scare mongering by politicians to get easy votes from those gullible enough to believe them. Case in point, I had a friend in France. Right after the Paris bombings of 2015 she said the biggest fear over there was "the climate", not getting all your limbs blown off by terrorists. The government was using this warming agenda to placate the people and try to draw the attention away from their own poor leadership.
>>
>>2374539
>People freak out that letting their car idle for 5 minutes is causing a hole in the ozone layer and that's silly. Whether I take my car to the store, 100 drive to the store, or a million do it today, it will have no effect on anything because of the sheer amount of air that is above is. There are billions of pounds of air circulating up there. We couldn't fuck it up if we wanted to.
We also emit over a billion metric tons of carbon dioxide every year, no exaggeration. You are aware the Earth's atmosphere was initially devoid of oxygen, and if not for anaerobic microbial life the atmosphere would never have become what it is now? Microbes changed the atmosphere over millions of years. The Earth is not a static entity untouched by its organisms; the biosphere, atmosphere, and geography of Earth are all constantly acting in response to each other.
>All this "global warming" panic is just scare mongering by politicians to get easy votes from those gullible enough to believe them. Case in point, I had a friend in France. Right after the Paris bombings of 2015 she said the biggest fear over there was "the climate", not getting all your limbs blown off by terrorists. The government was using this warming agenda to placate the people and try to draw the attention away from their own poor leadership.
Climate change doesn't have to be this divisive politicized issue you make it out to be. It's not environmental policy vs. national security you fool. The changing climate and our reliance on non-renewables pose immense long-term consequences which should be a concern to anyone living on this planet.
>>
File: emissions_graphs.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
emissions_graphs.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>2374547
forgt pic
>>
>>2374539
$100,000 has been transferred to your account.
t. Koch brothers
>>
>>2374365
guess what else is a theory? gravity. you don't know what theory means in the context of scientific theory. it will never actually be a law unless we get time travel or something
>>
>>2374158
>>2374132
>heh I don't blindly "believe" that 2+2=4 like those other sheep, but I'll accept it.....for now
>>
>>2374519
yes there are nerd.
>>
>>2374532
yeah birds only came from one certain group of tiny theropods
>>
>>2374539
>it's a conspiracy
>da jooz making up global warming to distract from ebil brown people
we can fuck it up for tons of species. sure the earth can recover after a long time, but think about all the life we stopped
>>
>>2374539
You should search about CO2 in the air, ocean and deep ocean and see how they interact with each other and their consequences.
Most of the CO2 is bellow deep ocean and that's where we get fossil fuel in large quantities and put them on the air which has a much smaller capability of absorbing it without suffering too much damage.
>>
Peru
Yes i have to
>>
>>2374519
Google north atlantic garbage patch
>>
>>2374028
USA
Yes, I am not retarded, Also I work in a field where not believing in Evolution gets you ostracized and possibly fired.
>>
>>2374554
But it isn't nearly as straightforward as 2 + 2 you major fucking faggot
Nice strawman too

All they're saying is that they're open to the idea it could be wrong or partially incorrect, which everyone who wants to call themselves scientific or a support of science should be. The current climate that anything against established theories should be laughed at is a fucking cancer and spits on the concept of science as constantly pushing at the edge of the known.
>>
>>2374559
Thanks for aiding my understanding
>>
>>2374028
US
yes

>>2374045
I can attest to this. Met quite a few whores that were super religious and mainly just didn't/couldn't understand evolution. It's also amazing to see how incredibly religious yet utterly degenerate these people are. I thought god was against shit like getting plastered, sex before marriage, and sodomy. Have only personally met Chad's and Stacy's that were creationist.

That being said you can still believe in God and evolution.
>>
>>2374241
I know a girl whose getting a degree in biology so she can prove scientist wrong. But after meeting her family I can understand it's not entirely her fault she feels that way. Mainly her family are doomsday prepper nutjobs that believe in all the stupid shit like essential oils, vaccines being evil, and other garbage like that. Her younger sister was normal though.
>>
Mexico
I believe in guided evolution
>>
>>2374624
>I know a girl whose getting a degree in biology so she can prove scientist wrong
That's pretty extreme, getting an education on a topic you don't agree with just to disprove it. So much money, no enjoyment at all, and I'm sure there will be no reward in the end.
>>
>>2374628
Yeah, but it's honestly not my problem if she wants to waste her parents money. The only reason I even know her is my roommate flipped hard after his ex left him and decided to date the complete opposite instead.
>>
>>2374028
Denmark
Does anyone in /an/ not?
>>
>>2374648
lots of people here don't.

it's hard to tell if they're trolling or just retarded.

hi bugguy.
>>
>>2374628
I personally know two biologists who did this. I study a social science (inb4 get a real major) and I can tell you that there are some fringe people who become academics for this very reason.
>>
>>2374028
>Britain
>Yes and anyone who denies evolution is a retard
>>
File: bc-312-lg.jpg (159KB, 900x706px) Image search: [Google]
bc-312-lg.jpg
159KB, 900x706px
>>2374187
But what if t-rex was an omnivore. Pandas and fruit bats have sharp teeth, but mainly or even entirely eat vegetation.

Here is a flying fox skull. Looks like it too should at least be partially eating meat. Yet its diet entirely consist of fruits.
>>
>>2374028
>usa
>yes, it's a part of my major.
>>
>>2374484
There was no purpose. Evolution is random and works on mutations. They just so happened to get mutations that ended up being helpful
>>
>>2374829
T.rex's tooth is serrated though, pointing to a carnivorous diet. It's shape is often referred to as a "serrated banana".
>>
>>2374625
>guided
Guided in what sense? Evolutionary changes are pretty much random
>>
>>2374934
By the hand of God of course.
>>
>>2374539
>All this "global warming" panic is just scare mongering by politicians to get easy votes from those gullible enough to believe them. Case in point, I had a friend in France. Right after the Paris bombings of 2015 she said the biggest fear over there was "the climate", not getting all your limbs blown off by terrorists. The government was using this warming agenda to placate the people and try to draw the attention away from their own poor leadership.

This post is insane.

How is looking to adapt our nations to climate changes over the course of decades fear mongering? There is not going to be a sudden catastrophe if we fail, there is no panic, you are speaking hyperbolically to help your case.

What's actually fear mongering is latching on to the most visible and violent issue--terrorism--and putting it as the foremost important issue. National security and the safety of citizens is very pressing, but so too are the agricultural and economic implications of globally rising water levels, temperatures, harsher weather, and so on.

You're the fucking scare mongering idiot here.
>>
>>2374936
Not sure if trolling...
>>
Canada
Yes i do
How the fuck did this thread derail into global warming?
>>
>>2374966
By becoming a "basic facts with dumbasses in denial about" thread
>>
>>2374028
>sweden
>no, there is only one, race the human race
>>
>>2375237
What's that got to do with evolution?
>>
>>2375237
bait
>>
>>2374049
Bullshit, Super God created God in his own image.
>>
File: 5.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
>>2374028
Turdworld country full of Muslims

I accept evolution theory, but it feels really weird to have an ancestor that looked like pic related. Am I the only one who feel that way?
>>
>>2376313
You had gills in the womb.
>>
>>2376313
It also feels weird to have an ooga booga ancestor that wiped his shit-caked ass with his bare hands and then ate some shit-covered raw meat while raping a shit-covered woman but finding it weird doesn't make it not true.
>>
>>2374059
Just because your worldview has been around for a long time doesn't make it valid. Not an argument.
>>
>>2374028
Serbia.
It's hardly a matter of belief at this point.
>>
>>2374048
>2017
>he doesn't know it was the image of atoms
>>
>>2374028
Spanish
I don't, otherwise I'd have to "believe" that the Earth is round and orbits the Sun.
>>
>>2374519
>We are not powerful enough to cause any widespread change to the planet.

Australia wasn't always a big desert. Humans changed a continent only with the tools of the stone age.
Now you can imagine what modern humans with millions of factories and billions of cars can do.

You lack knowledge, that doesn't mean everybody else does too. Stop dunning-krugering your way through life.
>>
>>2376313
I find it even weirder that in the distant past all vertebrates were related to tunicates, which makes us sort of neoptic tunicates. Hell, Humans are probably neoptic apes, and birds neoptic dinosaurs.
>>
TX, USA
yes

If it weren't for internet access, I probably wouldn't.
It kills me that most people here don't.
it's gives you a new appreciation of nature when you see how things are all related.
>>
>>2374028
Dominican Republic
No
>>
>>2374484
This was the first doubt raised in my mind raised regarding evolution. And one by one the Naturalistic narrative was deconstructed.
How could spiders evolve to build webs if a single thread can't catch insects, thus not being advantageous enough to stimulate evolution of spinnerets? Why are contradictory explanations attributed to the same evolutionary principles?
How could DNA evolve if DNA didn't exist yet?
DNA is incredibly complex. Many genes depend on other genes to function properly. Gene A depends on Gene B being expressed, B on C, and C on A. This is the case with blood clotting.
Then the scales fell from my eyes. I had been reading college biology textbooks since I was 8. It hit me like a brick.
>>
>>2376810
Well, hens cannot fly for more than 10 or 15 seconds, but with some selective pressure over millions of years this flying time will probably get better and better.
>>
dude its not like catholics dont believe in evolution. i went to a catholic prep school for years and we we're force fed theology, however evolution is accepted by the church. they just call it intelligent design instead kek.
>>
>>2376822
I think the problem is because of the protestant fundamentalists in southern US rather than catholics. Also ID=/=Evolution.
>>
>>2376810
Silk is used for more than insect catching, few spiders even build webs. Usually it's a protective casing for eggs, a lining for a burrow, a secure line for rapid movement, lines for juveniles to parachute around. Some don't produce silk at all and some appear to have lost and regained the trait.
>>
>>2374037
>subhuman

Not to mention that Russia is literally the modern day incarnation of the third reich. But that is the purpose of evolution, do divide people into humans and subhumans just like Hitler did.

Evolution did not start with Darwin. It started with the Devil, when he said "Ye shall be as Gods".

Now, they disguise it by saying "you came from nothing, then nothing exploded and became the universe, then there was goo which turned into animals, then turned into people, and people will be like God some day"

Hitler said that people will believe a big lie more than a small one. A small lie would be like saying a squirrel and banana are related. A big lie is saying every animal on earth evolved from a rock and are now related.

> hurr durr millions of years

land formations either involve a lot of time and a little water, or a lot of water and a little time. "Millions of years" is the deus ex machina people use to explain it away when evolution is in trouble. There is no proof of millions of years. People in Africa have seen living dinosaurs, people all over the world, but there are major stalking and silencing campaigns to shut them up if they come out and speak about it. During WWII people struggled to understand why so many servicemen were eaten alive on the soloman islands in the pacific, but the locals have legends of giants exactly like in the Bible. Wonder how that could be...
>>
>>2377118
In a post-alt right 4chan this might actually be a sincere post. Fucked up imo
>>
>>2377118
> do divide people into humans and subhumans just like Hitler did.
>Implying said divisings didn't exist way before Darwin's parents were even born
Just look at how classic civilizations considered slaves to be little better than animals.Also if anything that blurs out the line to the point that we are barely more than monkeys with overdeveloped brains, which seems to trigger most people unwilling to get off their high horse.

>Hitler said that people will believe a big lie more than a small one.
Not really, tends to happen more backwards. Also a sum of little lies make up a big one.

> A big lie is saying every animal on earth evolved from a rock and are now related.
That's oversimplifying things too much don't you think?

> There is no proof of millions of years.
There IS tho. You can date some minerals to several million years using isotopes.
>>
>>2374519
Found the retard.
>>
>>2377118
>modern day incarnation of the third reich
>started with the Devil
>you came from nothing, then nothing exploded and became the universe, then there was goo which turned into animals, then turned into people, and people will be like God some day
>the locals have legends of giants exactly like in the Bible
This fag is trolling so hard
>>
>>2374028
America
Considering the overwhelming evidence for evolution you'd have to be willfully and intentionally moronic to not believe in it
>>
>>2376698
>probably neotopic apes
>probably

A baby chimpanzee's skull looks almost exactly like a modern human's skull.

>>2376759
Not surprised the Dominican doesn't believe in evolution. Care to explain why, despite most of your people having the religion that allows for it to be taken as fact (Catholicism)?
>>
>>2374028
America
No at first, then I got into dinosaurs and paleontology when I was 11. Accepted it as fact but tried to have "God did it for everything except us" type mental gymnastics until 16, when I actually looked into the dozens of human and proto-human species that evolved between 7 million years ago and now, and think it's fact thanks to all of the evidence

I'll give you a nickel if you can guess my race and former faith (it's Protestant obviously but what denomination?).
>>
>>2378771
It's the same case of all Latin America really. Evolution has never been questioned because of legitimate distrust of the premises/methods used to get to that conclusion (living beings evolve). The only real reason people (latin americans, rednecks and whatnot) disbelieve in evolution is muh religion.
>>
>>2378774
>what denomination
That's a lot to choose from...
Methodist white?
>>
>>2378777
Nope, Adventist West Indian (black Jamaican) American. It sucks because Jamaicans and island people in general are really religious and spiritual.
>>
>>2374519
Billions of years ago when small simple celled organisms developed a way to convert carbon dioxide into oxygen when the atmosphere was once very heavy with carbon dioxide, were able to become plentiful enough to convert the entire atmosphere of the planet into an oxygen rich atmosphere. Enough so to cause one of the earliest major extinctions, change the global climate and lead to the earth we are familiar with now. These were very simple, small yet numerous organisms without complex social, hierarchical, or technological advances or capabilities and they still had a very real global effect.

Now picture a small pacific island and how isolated it is. Now picture that there are very finite resources on that island. It takes hundreds if not thousands of years for the island to develop the way it is, and the web of life on it is very very fragile because it is isolated. Any over hunting, over deforestation can lead to a domino effect of how life behaves on that island. The planet is just a macro version of that small island. Everything is interconnected, you, me, plants, animals, and even the mountains. We all have an effect on the world and those living around us no matter how isolated or independent we feel. We ought to be caring for our home, neighbors and families the way we would like to be cared for.
>>
>>2374028
>>>/his/
>>
United States
No. I don't understand how anyone could believe some wackjob's theories instead of the word of g-d.
>>
>>2374519
And here we see a retard who has no idea what hes talking about. If you want an example of humans fucking up the atmosphere then go learn about hydrofluorocarbons (HFC's) used in refrigerator insulation and the giant fucking ozone hole over europe.
>>
>>2376313
I honestly dont understand why you, or anyone for that matter, would think thats weird.
>>
>>>/b/
Testing something
>>
File: T_rex_skull_Greg_Paul.png (273KB, 516x707px) Image search: [Google]
T_rex_skull_Greg_Paul.png
273KB, 516x707px
>>2374861
Not only that, but to t.rex lacked molars or teeth designed to strip leaves like grazers. Even that flying fox skull had its equivocation molars.

Although technically call carnivores could in theory eat certain vegetation like watermelon(if given to it as partly a toy, like what is done for lions and tigers in captivity), it is highly unlikely t.rex would eat a 'salad'
>>
>>2379780
Evidence, i present it to you
>>
>>2374187
Why not the babies or even juveniles?

Tyrannosaurus was actually able to hunt for itself at almost any age.
http://saurian.maxmediacorp.com/
Based on what we know about their life cycle:
-By age 2, it would be about the size of a medium-large dog and more than deficient enough to hunt small prey.
-By age 5, it would be larger than a modern big cat and easily capable of hunting prey ranging from raccoon sized to deer.
-By age 12, it could pretty much eat modern big cats... It would essentially be a small giant.
>>
>>2380165
>I us that image because of how cute the baby looked
Here is a better visual representation of what I am talking about
>>
>>2374048
Think of it this way, God did create the universe, through the Big Bang. God created all living organisms, through evolution.
The reason the Bible is worded the way that it is most likely comes from the fact that people back then (and a lot still now) don't understand the concept that the earth has been around billions of years and the universe as a whole is much older. So it's explained that it was done in one week. If you tried to explain god, the universe etc to someone that's lived there entire life knowing 3 people outside of direct family, can't read nor write, and has no access to information other than word of mouth from other simple people, and has never been 10 miles outside of their place of birth without these simple parables, they wouldn't understand and would shun religion.
>>
>>2374118

Yeah, they're believers in Last-Thursdayism, but last Thursday was 6,000 years ago and you 'can't prove' there was anything before that, because it's not mentioned in the Bible
>>
>>2374365

>I believe in adaptation, not evolution

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>2374487
What do you call a mutation?
>>
>>2380220
It's the calling card of morons that don't understand evolution.
>>
File: untitled158424255.png (170KB, 620x296px) Image search: [Google]
untitled158424255.png
170KB, 620x296px
>>2380165
>>2380170
If Noah only took 2 of every animal (or kinds of animals), based on efficient tyrannosaurus is at killing, wouldn't it quickly eat away a large percentage of the species to extinction? I mean, all it would have to do it eat one of the two for a species, and that alone would mean their species end

Hell, what about the famished lions, tigers, and so on that are meant to eat meat? They too would like some meat, WorldNet they?
>>
File: Fall+of+the+red_0b68a0_6262102.jpg (71KB, 540x500px) Image search: [Google]
Fall+of+the+red_0b68a0_6262102.jpg
71KB, 540x500px
>>2380618
What if that is what happened, which is why so many animals are now lost?
Perhaps there were many more animals we will never get to discover, because they fell victims to predation or environmental reasons.

Even a baby or juvenile tyrannosaurus could have fell prey after the flood, or ended up stuck in mud or quicksand.
>>
>>2380256
And immature name-calling is the calling card of atheists.
>>
>>2380649
If by atheist you mean Christian, then sure.
>>
>>2377118
>People in Africa have seen living dinosaurs
I also saw an alien. hecame out of his penis-shaped spaceship from the planet nebulon and told me that god is fake but the devil is real, the bible is the word of god but he filled it with retarded shit as a joke and when u die you turn in2 dirt. he came over and we smoked weed and watched gotg2.
prove me wron, /an/
>>
United States (the South, specifically)

Yes

I argue with people every day over evolution
>>
>>2374028
>USA
>sage
>>
>>2376313
We have weird relatives!!
>>
>Mexico
>Yes, If you don't believe on it, I think of you as a retard
>Catholic (If relevant). I respect more a god that could come up with a complex evolutionary system than with one that said, fuck it, there is it
>>
spain
yeah
terrible thread btw
>>
>>2374058
Did you find the good grace of our lord and saviour Jesus Christ in the end?
>>
File: MallardDuck3.jpg (108KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
MallardDuck3.jpg
108KB, 1024x768px
I like ducks
>>
>>2374028
>Slovenia
>Yes

And what this guy said >>2374037
Anyone that doesn't believe in evolution is either horribly undereducated or just plain dumb.
>>
>>2374531
Don't bring up the coral bleaching, man. I can only get so depressed today
>>
>>2374028

>Spain
>21 years old
>Yes
>>
>>2374028

I only believe in Jesus. Global warming doesn't real either. Praise Gawd. Donate to a televangelist.
>>
>>2374028
Australia
Evolution is not a belief system but a well agreed upon scientific theory
>>
>>2374487
This concept is idiotic. Can't make new information? Well then I guess humans are doomed to never become more advanced. On a simpler level, genetic (as in evolution driven) computing algorithms work because they build a complex behavior model from lots of simple environmental inputs. A few thousand generations and like/dislike input can make a music synthesizer, or an algorithm for walking. Your claim is absolutely contradicted by clear and overwhelming evidence.
>>
>>2384519
>Evolution is not a belief system but a well agreed upon scientific theory
It's a belief system based on group think, not scientific theory.

Mate selection, for example, is completely handwaved in evolutionary theory.

Animals choose mates based mostly on geography/proximity. 99% of beetles will fuck the closest beetle they see as soon as they're ready to mate.

SURE you could pull your dick out of your pants and try to show me Darwin's Beetles and some shit, but those are extreme exceptions, not the rules. If I put a male and female beetle together in a box, the female will lay eggs fertilized by the male. She won't give two shits that he's the weakest of his brothers.

If that's the case, you basically knock out an entirely leg of evolutionary theory -- and it IS the case if you want to follow basic scientific method. Fuggin' hell, the most important lab evidence for evolutionary theory banked on the concept that two organisms will fuck whatever the scientists push together.

The saddest/most hilarious bit is that Evolutionfags DO treat it as religion because they cannot fathom that evolutionary theory is not 100% watertight. They will spend microseconds coming up with bullshit excuses for everything rather than admit that some animals just don't follow the patterns laid out for evolution. They won't actually go to a fucking LAB or do any ACTUAL scientific research, because someone proclaimed that the king has no clothes, they MUST rush instantly as possible to defend his honor with asspulled explanations, rationalization, dick-jerking, and tongue wagging, but not for one instant will they have the integrity to admit that evolution is a deeply-flawed theory that should be heralded as a fucking ATTEMPT rather than shout and scream that it is their god and master of all knowledge.
>>
>>2384816
Ok, let's assume evolution doesn't happen and you're right.
Explain life then.
>>
>>2374059
You could make the same argument for modern medicine verses 2000 year old tiger penis boner remedies from China
If it didnt work they obviously would have figured that out years ago! Clearly these endangered animals medicinal value cannot be denied
>>
Canada
I dont think a single person in my social circle doesnt believe in evolution.
One guy was very religious, but he was modern liberal christian who believes in god, but also believes in evolution and doesnt hate gay people and stuff. A few of them still believe in supernatual bullshit though.
>>
>>2374028
>>2374028
philippines

once engaged in a debate with hs teacher bcs he believes in the bible's explanation more than science
>>
>>2374187
T-rex was was famously near blind and traded sight for smell. Unless the animal is moving, the giant lizard probably could not make out what is in front of its face.

Because of its terrible sight, it probably could not hunt.
>>
>>2385155
Is this b8?
>>
File: t-rex-illusion.jpg (29KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
t-rex-illusion.jpg
29KB, 480x360px
>>2385155
>Blatant sign of being a bleb in paleontology and bias to basic factual info on dinosaurs
>Jurassic Park merely peddled that nonsense to get scary close up scenarios
>NO paleontologist agree with this JP meme
Tyrannosaurus actually had very superb vision, exceeding even modern hawks and eagles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rtQPo4HKLY
Ironically, tyrannosaurus might have the best precise vision of all time. Meaning you standing perfectly still just makes you an easier target.
This is all in addition to its superb sense of smell, which greatly exceeded bloodhounds and all non avian dinosaurs
http://www.science20.com/news_releases/how_swell_was_t_rex_sense_smell
Bonus: it also had very acute hearing as well.
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ar.20983/full
Meaning if anything, this was an incredibly alert animal and most likely a highly active predator. Which makes sense, considering its massive size and apparent high metabolic rate, which require constant large amounts of food just to survive.
>>
>>2385155
>based his facts on hollywod movies
Yeah, it makes sense that you would believe in a fictional book of ancient fables as factual...
>>
Charles was a christian
>>
>>2385155
Please tell us you are just trolling?
>>
>>2385155
I think the origin of this myth came from the fact that its sense of smell was blatantly leagues above what we would expect. Although no one actually had evidence that its sight was bad per say, there might have been an assumption that with sense of smell this developed makes sight redundant.
Think of it as the whole "blind as a bat", because bat's echolocation is so acute.

Regardless, bats actually have pretty good vision.

T.rex had excellent vision
>>
File: dinosaurs in eden toon.jpg (41KB, 320x246px) Image search: [Google]
dinosaurs in eden toon.jpg
41KB, 320x246px
>>2374187
>>2374861
>>2379930
>>2380165
>>2380170
>>2385174
Okay, why would God create such a near perfect killing machine? It's getting really hard to envision this in the Garden of Eden, where everything coexisted in harmony on a diet of vegetation and could never die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzBFEntr5ww
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_a6RjR_AHY
>>
>>2377118
>Evolution did not start with Darwin
Correct, the idea predates Darwin. In fact, I believe his grandfather already dabbled in the idea, and so did plenty of others

Darwin's significance is that he laid out the underlying mechanisms and provided some evidence. He became well-known thanks to his writing, which sparked an increased belief in evolution.

Hilariously enough, Darwin himself didn't even bring most of that evidence. Fitzroy, the captain of the Beagle, did. And that guy originally hired Darwin to help disprove all the talk of evolution.
>>
File: 8_1.jpg (30KB, 500x347px) Image search: [Google]
8_1.jpg
30KB, 500x347px
>>2385246
Personally, I do not think dinosaurs were made by God. Or at least not the large ones, especially those that ate meat..

I think those were probably more to do with Lucifer, as he was known to cause his own miracles and even alter God's creations to do his bidding or morph them into something a lot more sinister. This explains why rexy was such n overly efficient killer by design.

Meaning what we might actually be looking at are the remains of what ancient men called dragons and monsters.

But stupid liberals keep trying to deny the bible as a historical document.
>>
>>2385174
Is Trey The Explainer a good paleochannel?

His paleoprofile on dimetrodon caused a big fiasco that led up to they short-lived no-sail meme that even the paleoartist from the original picture deeply regrets it.
>>
>>2385299
Topkek
>>
>>2384816
All the bullshit you're spewing in your last paragraph is exactly why it remains a theory. We know it's not concrete or 100% watertight and that's why we've kept it as a theory, so we can continue to strive to understand it and learn about it, it's mechanisms, its effects and all the things we feel the need to understand about it. It's like reading the first three chapters to a mystery novel and then closing it thinking you know how it'll end, only to find out there are four more books.

It's honestly better than the alternative, believing in a magic man in the sky who jizzed in some hooker to create a hybrid demigod son. When you look at all religions around the globe and see how vastly different they are, how could you ever say there is a "one true god". It's easier to say that we as humans invented a being in an attemp to understand natural phenomena and now having learned the mechanics of some of the phenomena, should drop the archaic belief of a being that controls all of these phenomena for shots and giggles.

inb4, implying you're a christfag.
>>
File: dracorex-6.jpg (195KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
dracorex-6.jpg
195KB, 800x500px
>>2385299
Precisely.

Dinosaurs pretty much fit the basic design of monsters and dragons.

This especially goes for dracorex
>>
>>2385299
Monsters in legends tend to be representations of human creation based on inner fears. Fears in which are either conscious or subconscious, which then get purposed into something more symbolic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6grLJyqIM8E

Succubus for example are really just based on the fear of a back-stabbing seductresses who manipulate and bring misfortune to men.
>>
>>2386133
>I think you have it backwards
What most likely happened was that ancient people (especially farmers or grave diggers) simply kept finding incomplete dinosaur fossils, but did not have the modern evidence nor science as was as established as current as the 1800s. After all, most fossils even today tend to be found by accident.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arx4ysArm6A

Thus gaps were filled with misconceptions or imaginations, for what would otherwise be ancient animals.
>>
File: 1463437902439.gif (21KB, 437x225px) Image search: [Google]
1463437902439.gif
21KB, 437x225px
>>2374053
Probably because they don't know any other examples, probably. Maybe they know about non-avian dinosaurs to birds but of course you can't say "but there's still dinosaurs" for that.
>>
>>2382693
>the South
>I argue with people every day over evolution

Jeez what a nightmare, i have family in Alabama and can never discuss even simple biology with them cause I know it will go somewhere bad.
>>
>>2384816
Man I can't even begin to pick this post apart, you're genuinely making stuff up and saying completely false things. You're a delusional idiot.
>>
>>2374829
You have to realize not all herbivores eat the same things.

Flying foxes exclusively eat fruit, something which sharp teeth is actually very useful for. This is also why you see it in gorillas and chimpanzees, since they eat a lot of fruit too.

Meanwhile, something like an elephant or giraffe has lots of flat teeth, since it's useful for grinding up leaves which is what they eat.

Cows and horses, on the other hand, have incisors to clip grass and then let their complex and unique digestive systems take care of the rest.
>>
>>2374516
No idea about Canada, but the US is still very religious unfortunately. It's probably still better than Israel though.
>>
>>2374552
Gravity is both a law and a theory.

The fact that objects attract each other is a low. Why that happens is a theory.
>>
>>2384816
>SURE you could pull your dick out of your pants and try to show me Darwin's Beetles and some shit, but those are extreme exceptions, not the rules. If I put a male and female beetle together in a box, the female will lay eggs fertilized by the male. She won't give two shits that he's the weakest of his brothers.

Yes, if you isolate the female from every other male then she will mate with the only one there is.

Are you retarded?
>>
There is no "believing". It is a thing.
>>
>>2386248
>It is a thing.
that argument doesn't work with the religious. They can't tell the difference between things in their heads and things outside.
>>
>>2385155
Holy shit now that's some good bait.
>>
>>2380649
And accusing someone of a certain belief because they called out your stupidity is a sign of retardation.
>>
>>2384816
Don't know if bait or too retarded to understand statistics.

Evolution is like taking a thousand slightly imperfect dice, rolling each one ten times, and throwing away most of the dice that rolled under a total of 50. You'll have thrown away lots of dice that are weighed high by random chance, but you'll have thrown away more dice that were weighed towards lower numbers. The end result is you'll have more dice weighed slightly towards higher numbers even though the method was wasteful, the selection fuzzy, and the output imperfect.
Evolution is a macro scale phenomenon; an emergent property of reproduction on a large scale. Saying you can't see it when you reduce the scale to a handful of organisms is utterly missing the point and shows you understand nothing about the topic.
>>
>>2386248
>>2386267
This.
You want so badly to be able to explain to them in a way that they might somehow begin to understand it.. but that would violate the Prime Directive.
>>
>>2386267
>>2386581
There shouldn't even be an argument at this point anymore the fuck
>>
>>2386218
Gravity=Theory
Conservation of angular momentum=Law
Get your facts straight kiddo
>>
>>2386976
>doesn't know about newton's law of gravity
>thinks angular momentum has anything to do with gravity
ah, to be 8 again.
>>
>>2386990
>Newton's law of gravity
There is no such thing, scrub.
>angular momentum has anything to do with gravity
Angular momentum conservation, also known as Newton's 3rd Law of Motion, is the only Newton original law in the Newton's Theory (not a law) of gravity.

Go back to school, scrub.
>>
File: jackforest.jpg (483KB, 1200x850px) Image search: [Google]
jackforest.jpg
483KB, 1200x850px
>>2385469
Largely, yes.

But with that video in particular, it is pretty much just addressing the widely accepted reality heavily proven for years. As in, every expert on dinosaurs know this to be factual, which had long been proven beyond any legitimate counter view (i.e. bad or poor vision).
>>
File: IMG_8968.jpg (166KB, 740x768px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8968.jpg
166KB, 740x768px
>>2374028
USA
ye
>>
>>2374414
Oh, I get it. The joke is mixing up the wording of creationists with that of climate change deniers.
>>
>>2376810
>>2374484
Well, if you guys don't mind reading the words of a guy who writes like Christianity sexually abused him as a child, Richard Dawkins' Climbing Mount Improbable is all about explaining how evolution allowed for such seemingly impossible leaps to happen as a series of gradual steps. He presents some fine explanations for the evolution of, precisely, spider webs and wings, and also some other very complicated pieces of meat that everything has but that are apparently useless if only halfway done. He presents such explanations more eloquently than I ever could, and it's still a good read. If you can stand his constant jabs at religion, which he isn't even subtle about.
>>
>>2374028
Evolution or changes adapting to enviro yes.The evolution from monkeys laughable.Genetic engineering of neandrathol and alien dna is in summerian texts.The scientists say junk dna because the truth is against the status quo
>>
Texan
There is overwhelming evidence supporting the concept that all life on earth originated from single celled life and evolved into what we have today. I don't have to believe it because I'm educated in biology and know it. America needs to into education. I'd go back to a small town if people weren't so ignorant in them.
>>
>>2374394
Don't cut yourself on that edge.
>>
File: choose your own nothing.jpg (87KB, 572x788px) Image search: [Google]
choose your own nothing.jpg
87KB, 572x788px
>>2388073
>his constant jabs at religion, which he isn't even subtle about.
beyond a certain IQ religion just looks like a child's game. You begin to wonder how people can swallow that much chum without puking. Then you realize you're surrounded by idiots and that makes you angry. You try to elevate the idiots before realizing that's another child's game.

In time you give up and abandon hope for humanity, perhaps understanding that evolution actually favors the idiots. Hopefully you made a few million off of book deals before that happens.
>>
>>2388169
>beyond a certain IQ religion just looks like a child's game
and beyond THAT iq, the whole mess starts to seem like a matter of "whatever's clever." eventually you realize that while religion cannot prove the existence of any higher power, science also cannot disprove it.

please don't project onto me whatever you think my own spiritual beliefs are, i'm leaving them absent for a reason.
>>
>>2382338
>he came over and we smoked weed and watched gotg2.
>prove me wron, /an/
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 isn't out on home video yet. Check mate atheist.
>>
>>2388195
>science also cannot disprove it.
Russell's teapot, sometimes called the celestial teapot or cosmic teapot, is an analogy, coined by the philosopher Bertrand Russell (1872–1970), to illustrate that the philosophic burden of proof lies upon a person making scientifically unfalsifiable claims, rather than shifting the burden of disproof to others.
Russell specifically applied his analogy in the context of religion.[1] He wrote that if he were to assert, without offering proof, that a teapot orbits the Sun somewhere in space between the Earth and Mars, he could not expect anyone to believe him solely because his assertion could not be proven wrong.

I'm not projecting my beliefs on you (I have no beliefs). I'm merely pointing out why Dawkins gets frustrated when he finds himself surrounded by idiots.

idiots like you.
>>
>>2374048
Probably bait but we evolved from a type of ape, all modern apes also evolved from that ape. Its like branches of a tree. It really isn't hard to understand.
>>
>>2374365
lmao that filename
>>
>>2374059
The problem with this reasoning is that it works for all other currently existing religions, and these religions make mutually incompatible claims. For example, Islam doesn't accept that Christ was the son of God, yet Christianity does, and both faiths are centuries old. So it seems as though the age and popularity of an idea have no bearing on it's accuracy
>>
>>2374269
Well actually Luke 3:23-38 gives an exhaustive lineage from Christ all the way back to Adam, and adding those lifespans together is what gives Christianity the 6000 year nonsense
>>
>>2388215
Very eloquently put, nice to see an understanding of the b.o.p. out in the wild
>>
File: 1495068863824.jpg (25KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1495068863824.jpg
25KB, 500x374px
>>2374059
>>
>>2374118
You seem to have confused Young Earthers with the problem of irreducible complexity.
You and the Young Earthers seem to have in common that you have no idea what irreducible complexity actually is, despite it being an obvious quandary that should occur to anyone with any knowledge of biology when considering how survival of the fittest/natural selection would lead to the current lifeforms we have today, which include a lot of complex interdependent mechanisms, many of which would be directly detrimental or even fatal if they occurred, even in a complete and functional form, on their own.

Until the 21st century, this was an open topic of discussion amongst evolutionary theorists. It vexed Gould to the point of distraction which is why he put so much thought into his idea of evolutionary "punctuation". Then the political bullshit of the 2000s hits and a bunch of PhDs are blackballed from the entire US scientific community for continuing to wonder about the same things everyone else had been wondering about all along.

That's what a "community" is. A church. Centralized funding, an acceptable subset of ideas, however vague. We must be educated in the uniform rites and taught not to doubt or advance the ideas on their own. Same as the Catholics did back during the centuries where they controlled, nurtured, and bankrolled the European scientific community. Do whatever you want, so long as it doesn't contradict us.

It's not as if Darwin's theory was even that new, the Improvers had long since bred hornless sheep and the kingdom classification was well-established before Charles' grandfather ever thought "maybe all animal life came from a common root through breeding and mutation".

Yet here we are in 2017 and anyone who says "hey how did all of these interdependent organ mechanisms fall into place just so to support each other in a sane and non-fatal, beneficial way?" will just get "LOL CHRISTFAGS" from the Dawkins brigade. Darwin on money, so science teehee!
>>
File: 1488825343773.jpg (429KB, 1589x646px) Image search: [Google]
1488825343773.jpg
429KB, 1589x646px
>>2374028
Paraguay
Yes
>>
>>2374028 (OP)
Creationism is pretty much endemic to the United States. Biblical literalism is officially regarded as a heresy by Catholics and even the traditional Protestant sects don't take sola scriptura that far.

The precedent for Christians not taking the bible literally existed before the New Testament was codified. Augustine of Hippo said it was a dumb idea in the fourth century and so did Origen about a century earlier. Augustine specifically rejected a literal interpretation of Genesis, also.

The precedent for Jews goes back farther of course, at least to Philo of Alexandria.

tl;dr most Christians (and Jews) don't interpret the bible literally and never have
>>
>>2389911
No shit, most christians pick and choose the parts they like.
>>
>>2389946
And actually, the bible itself was assembled by a group of non-christian romans in the fourth century by just picking the books they liked most/they didn't considered to be too fucked up.

Considering this, interpreting a religion in those scriptures (or a subset of them) alone is fucking stupid.
>>
>>2374028
>'merica
>Of course

The teal question is, who believes in evolution but also that the Earth is flat?
>>
>>2374028
USA
No nor do I believe in Dinosaurs
>>
>>2389720
>irreducible complexity
This is another cat and mouse where idiots say "this feature is for sure IC, we're 100% right this time!", followed by research showing simpler versions of the structure. Eyes, flagella, wings, the list goes on. Keep moving those goalposts though. It's great fun.
>>
>>2391246
>Aside the many normal findings
We have near perfect skeletons,as found with Sophie the stegosaurus, archaeopteryx, triceratops, edmontosaurus, as well as Sue and Stan the tyrannosaurs.

We have incredibly preserved fossils, like
1. ankylosaurus
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ankylosaurus#/media/File:Ankylosaur_head_-_cast_-_Custer_County_Montana_-_Museum_of_the_Rockies_-_2013-07-08.jpg
2. mummified duckbill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhUEx56f5bg
3. NYC's 'Museum of Natural History' mummified edmontosaurus
http://www.amnh.org/explore/news-blogs/news-posts/fossil-mummy-shows-glimpse-of-dinosaur-skin
4. More recently, nodosaurus
>>2386167
5. Yutyrannus, which actually preserved a large amount of evidence of having feathers
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/scientists-discover-a-gigantic-feathered-tyrannosaur-172633563/
>>
>>2391337
Don't waste your breath (or keyboard) anon.
Anyone who denies evolution at this point in history is willfully ignorant and/or intellectually dishonest. Or a troll.
No need to waste time in any of these cases.
Thread posts: 221
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.