[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dobermans

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

File: doberman pinscher.jpg (179KB, 600x330px) Image search: [Google]
doberman pinscher.jpg
179KB, 600x330px
What do you think of them?

I've been saving up and eyeing the breed for a couple of years, and am leaning toward buying from Adlercrest, whose puppies are for work or sport.

I want my dog to be a companion, a fitness buddy (walking, jogging, hiking), and a deterrent for criminals, and an added layer of personal protection (not property) in the worst-case scenario (partnered with an alarm system and a gun). (I'm a young woman who will be living alone soon, not a drug dealer or wannabe tough guy or any dumb shit like that.)

However, this will be my first time with a new dog as an adult (not a first time dog owner, but first time with full responsibility and with a difficult breed), I'm pretty small (5'1", 105 lbs.), and I may be working 35+ hours/week outside the home. I understand Dobermans are large, high-maintenance, headstrong, dogs that need a lot of exercise, mental stimulation, and affection. Their respect must be earned, or they will try to dominate their owners.

I'm also saving for puppy obedience classes, and would like to enter my dog into the local Schutzhund club for its physical and mental fitness. Additionally, a good protection dog is calm, well-socialized, and in-sync with—and follows—its owner's feelings. I will take great care to expose my dog to many different people (children and adults), places, situations, and other dogs, and I will NOT make it fearful and aggressive, like so many bad owners looking to create a "guard dog" do.

Will a well-bred, well-cared for Doberman suit my needs, experience, size, and possible work schedule? If yes, do you recommend a male or a female, or is there no significance difference in your experience? If no, what do you recommend instead (different breed, or no dog whatsoever)?

I've been reading and asking around for about a year now, but realized despite being a 4chan regular, I've never asked /an/.

Thanks.
>>
>>2372378
Oh, and I know actual protection dogs are extensively trained by professionals. I don't want to do that. When I say "protection dog", I mean a dog with an amateurish, natural inclination to protect its master. This is part of Schutzhund, which the Adlercrest breeding stock have passed, and most of their sold puppies who try out for Schutzhund pass as well.
>>
>>2372378
Get an airedale and install gentoo
>>
Dobermans = betrayal and no true loyalty imo.
>>
How much time a day do you have for it? Only problem I'm seeing is that you may be under estimating a dog from a line of actual working/sporting dogs which are very different from 'household' lines.
>>
>>2372435
For training, play and walks/jogs, Schutzhund, and obedience classes? At worst (40 hours/week away-from-home job), a couple of hours a day on the workdays. At best (20 hours/week away-from-home job + working from home), about 4 hours a day.

Are dog parks usually barren enough in the early morning for ample time to run off-leash? I'm moving from penurbia to a small city. Normally, I'd just put them in the backyard or take them to a big field near our house, but there's no such luxury there.
>>
>>2372378
Choose the breeder carefully.Most Dobermans have DCM and can die at any moment
https://youtu.be/53gLxO0Kubc
>>
>>2372378
Get a ridgeback. My 9 month old is fucking primed for protection 24/7.

he has autism level senses. My brother pulls up and parks on the street and he's at the door before my brother can get out of his car.

He is fast as fuck. I don't even trust him off the leash because he wants to kill every game animal in sight.

He's got power and size. 80lb @ 9 months, fits squarely in the breed standard.

Also, they are also such mutts of a breed (a jumble of various breeds to build 1 breed), that they really don't have acute issues like GSD's and other hounds.
>>
>>2372496
man, if my dog died on camera, i wouldnt upload it to youtube. what the fuck.
>>
My neighbor had dobermans when I was kid, and he used to let me take them for walks and play with them. They were actually very sweet dogs, not aggressive at all or like the stereotype. They were big cowards and neurotic as fuck. Picky about food, sensitive, scared of their own shadows, and prone to pouting and sulking. They were more like cats than dogs, really.
>>
>>2372496
too bad this guy wasn't there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzwZJ0PHe-E
>>
You're on the right path, finding a good breeder is the most important step. Since this is your first dog, and since you will be working full time, I would recommend looking for a young adult rehome instead of a puppy. Potty training and basic obedience training require a ton of time and attention. If you have not contacted the breeder yet, I suggest taking a moment to send an email quickly describing yourself, what you're looking for in a dog, and why you are interested in their breeding program. In the email ask, if you can meet them at a dog show or event. If you haven't already, go ahead and join your regional breed club. Not only does it look good when you start speaking to potential breeders, but it will put you into contact with people who have experience with the breed and local breeders.
>>
>>2372533
Agree with this. Dobermans look intimidating because of their size and stature but they're soft as fuck. I love them
>>
>>2372378
>Single woman living alone with a Doberman.
Can you take the knot?
>>
>>2372517
Seconding the Rhodie suggestion.
Loyal to a fault, fiercely protective of their families, great for exercise and strong as fuck.
>>
File: IMG_8063.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8063.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>2372680
Here's my boy taking point in our apartment.

His name is Cecil.
>>
The lads
>>
>>2372829
>tall boi

those hind legs are long as hell
>>
File: IMG_8066.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8066.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>2372835
I had mentioned it in my earlier post.

These dogs were literally cut with so many breeds that they have attributes of grey hounds, Great Danes, African tribal hound (the ridge !), and others.

The breed is long and lanky like a grey hound and thick bone structure of a Great Dane. Firm fairly large muzzle.

Definitely not for a first time owner (ie never once had an animal in your life), but they aren't hard to instruct. Reputation is key, and remember these are not working dogs that memorize your vocabulary and respond according. They are very independent and sometimes aloof. They might not want to sit or focus on you because there is something they see up ahead. When mine walks with me he is either scanning up ahead or holding a scent trail pretty hard.

I've had Neapolitan mastiffs, Rottweilers, spaniels, pitbulls, and Maltese in my life. My ridgeback is pretty up there on my list of favorite dogs I've owned. Only 2nd to my two childhood mastiffs that were fucking behemoths.

Here's a pic of him checking out some Great Danes down the block from me.
>>
>>2372829
Need a photo of him with a FAL.
>>
File: IMG_8073.png (1019KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8073.png
1019KB, 750x1334px
>>2372894
No FAL but..
>>
File: IMG_8074.png (922KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8074.png
922KB, 750x1334px
>>2372898
>>
File: IMG_8075.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8075.png
1MB, 750x1334px
>>2372899
And lastly
>>
>>2372898
>>2372899
>>2372901
You have a Rhodie named Cecil, you need either a FAL or a Martini Henry.
>>
>>2372908
I know. I graduate from college next year and then grad school for a year. After that I'm gonna get some more funs.
>>
>>2372898
>>2372899
>>2372901
>>>/k/
>>
>>2372533
This

Every dobie I've met has been a big fraidy-cat.

>walking in large open dog park/reservoir
>spot two dobies in the distance
>majestic, elegant, sleek
>my dog spots them and trots up to them, wants to play
>one gives him a wide berth, trying to figure him out, circles around and eventually decides he's okay to play
>the other stands stiffly until my dog gets within three feet
>hackles up
>BOOORF
>a sound as if he's been kicked in the gonads from behind
>leaps away like a cartoon elephant fleeing a mouse

The best-trained dobermans I've met were big goofballs, but most others are skittish and that can turn into fear-aggression. Socialize the fuck out of your dog OP
>>
>>2373805
>Socialize the fuck out of your dog OP
Definitely planning on it. I'm already creating a list of all the people, sounds, activities, places, etc. I need to expose it to.

I hadn't realized puppies only have about a 4 month window to be socialized, and am reconsidering Adlercrest since they ship theirs at around that age. However, I've found similar breeders also often have the puppies go home at around that age, too.

Do Doberman's have a longer socialization-receptive period?

Is two weeks while home full-time enough time to socialize a 3.5 month old puppy? If not, what's a rough estimate for the minimum amount of time for good socialization?
>>
final bump

When is a Doberman's socialization period?
>>
A dog will not attempt to dominate it's owner. Dominance does not exist between humans and dogs. Just be fair, have set rules, understand your dogs limits and have realistic goals.
>>
>>2374813
7-16 weeks, isnt it?
>>
>>2372378
They are amazing guard dogs. They love the family, but fucking hate strangers.
>>
>>2372378

>a deterrent for criminals, and an added layer of personal protection

This is a big nope. Unless the dog is trained properly to help protect yourself and home, all you're going to do is create a stranger aggressive liability. You can't just condition a dog to hate strangers if you're going to take it out places and have it around as many people as possible. You'll do the exact opposite. If you fail to condition a dog, you'll have issues of it being overly aggressive towards your family, friends, neighbors, and innocent strangers. Again, it needs proper training if you want to a protection companion.

>I may be working 35+ hours/week outside the home

So you're going to leave the animal alone 8+ hours a day to sit inside hold it's bladder, and not release any energy? Personally, I see it incredibly unfair to have a full time job away from the home and have a dog. I just don't see it as practical unless you have another person in the home who will be home at least four hours after you leave to let the dog out to use the washroom or go for a walk. So, if you have a second person at home, or want to a hire a reputable breeder, then sure, that's fine.

>What do you think of them?

Great dogs for the right person. Over breeding and inbreeding has caused them to have many issues.

Wobbler syndrome, hip dysplasia, willebrand disease, and cardiac disease.

So, all in all OP if you're really going to get one. Go to a reputable breeder who assures health and has certificates on the parents. Otherwise you may be looking into spending a lot of money at the vets.
>>
Funny you should make this thread.

Picking up my doberman puppER next week. CAN'T WAIT!

and yes, his ears and tail will be snipped, while his balls will be intact. Because they look better with their ears and tails snipped, and healthier with their gonads intact. Also because fuck you /an/, that's why.
>>
File: V__973B.jpg (66KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
V__973B.jpg
66KB, 768x1024px
>>2375001
>>
File: V__DBF0.jpg (87KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
V__DBF0.jpg
87KB, 768x1024px
>>2375002

He is sad I can't take him home yet
>>
>>2375001
>my dog will end up in a shelter or discarded: the post
>>
>>2375001

So let me get this straight.
They're healthier with their nuts intact even though this has been debunked, but you don't see where taking bits of other appendages off is an issue?
>>
>>2375331

I'm not the guy you're replying to but there are several studies that suggest that neutering a male dog before they are fully grown is detrimental to their health, one of the things proven is that it triples to chance of the dog developing bone cancer, for example. You can find the studies online. I'm not pro- or anti-castration but stating that neutering a dog only has benefits is simply not true.
>>
>>2375342

Oh of course. I always wait for the first heat or breed cycle before I neuter or spay.
I just think his argument his contradicting that he won't neuter his dog but wants to cut off it's tails and ears which have 0 benefit only risk.
>>
>>2372457
>Schutzhound
>>>/trash/
You're subhuman. Be sure to post when you have it euthanized at an early age and don't forget that it'll be entirely your fault.
If were around you rn, op, then I'd curb-stomp you. Niggers like you have no business with dogs trained in this manner.
>>
>>2375380
Schutzhund is a sport that includes obedience, tracking, and protection. Schutzhund does not create fearful or aggressive dogs. It's based in obedience and trainers are highly selective with the dogs they accept into the sport. There's nothing to worry about.
>>
this is one of the best and most detailed "i want this dog breed" posts i have seen on /an/

kudos OP
>>
I've a dobe male that's a year old now and was nuetered a few weeks ago. He is well behaved for the large part and I trust him with other dogs off leash as I know he is keen to just okay or greet. The issue in having which hopefully some if you could help me out with us how he greets other dogs. When a stranger's dog starts walking toward us, my dobe will stand rock steady in a stalk position with ears fairly forward which puts a lot of owners off. After a brief moment if that he will run up to the dog at full speed with ears relaxed and tail swinging madly and play then occurs with majority if other digs.
He understands other dogs signals if they'd rather be left alone or anxious but my dog will still run full tilt prior to this.
I can recall him when he runs towards dogs and he listens and acts as I Want, I just want to know how to teach him a correct more polite way of greeting as opposed to sprinting into a dogs space.
Help would be appreciated
>>
>>2376438
Autocorrect killing me
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.