[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/ - aquariums & fish

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 15

File: Just an average aq thread.png (46KB, 386x735px) Image search: [Google]
Just an average aq thread.png
46KB, 386x735px
LOL POST GORE edition
Last thread devolved into shit again, lets start fresh :)

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size (include dimensions, not just volume)
-parameters (ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, GH, KH)
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
Care Guides:
>http://seriouslyfish.com/
Plants and Animals for sale:
>http://www.petsolutions.com/
>http://www.aquabid.com/
>http://www.liveaquaria.com/
Database for aquatic plants and their parameters
>http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
/aq/'s freshwater wiki
>http://aqfreshwater.wikia.com
>>
>>2335967

it has begun
>>
>>2335967
You were supposed to wait till at least the 100th post before you started being retarded anon
>>
File: Untitled.1.webm (2MB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.1.webm
2MB, 1024x576px
>>2335970
Just drop it, do you seriously feel the need to keep arguing in the new thread?

Post pictures of your fucking fish or take it to /b/ or /qa/ or something.
>>
File: IMG_7797.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7797.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>2335964
Holy shit did some anon really delete all their posts?

Anon, whoever it was, I know you will find your way to this thread and will eventually read this, so I'll just say this.

You are a huge faggot.

My tanks lighting is too strong and is causing algae problems would it be more effective to

A:adhere some kind of shade over the light to tone it down

B: shorten my timer to provide very little, but intense light per day for a short period

Thanks
>>
>>2335973
No, that's just all the posts that I reported (for gore) or hid because it was literally just autists fighting like girls over nothing.
>>
>>2335973

planted or no?
>>
File: 20170218_004200.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170218_004200.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2335974
Ah ok, thanks for the clarification
>>2335976
Very planted this is me
>>
File: redtail catfish.jpg (213KB, 1024x678px) Image search: [Google]
redtail catfish.jpg
213KB, 1024x678px
>>2335977
Responding to him at all is why its a problem. If nobody responds and just hides/reports his posts, the problem goes away. If he gets zero attention he'll end up leaving eventually. So let this be the last time he's referenced and let's return to fish posting.
>>
>>2335978
I have no advice because I don't know what I'm doing but can I just say that is a fucking sick tank? I love what you did anon.
>>
File: IMG_7813.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7813.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>2335979
Yea I was pretty disappointed

Poor doggone
>>2335981
Post more hermoine
>>2335982
Thank you anon, I started my tank talked to people on this board, if some were around long enough they'd see when I bought it! But it still needs lots of work, this algae is pissing me off
>>
>>2335973
>>2335978

IME i've never seen much difference when trying A or B.... my only success in algae genocide has been adding shit tons of fast growing floaters to out compete it. pothos has worked wonder for me as well.
>>
>>2335984
Keep it fish related and don't throw fuel on the fire.
>>
I asked this in the last thread but the (you) farmers were desperate so I'll ask it again.
Is adding CO2 in any way detrimental to fish? I could see it making it more difficult for them to breathe.
>>
>>2335998

kind of depends on your setup and stock anon
>>
I made some snail jello today and my snail has been at it since at least 7:30

I put the chunk on a cap, but the snail has completely knocked it over. How messy is this stuff gonna be in the morning?
>>
>>2335999
I have a 55 with 1 oscar, would he be okay?

I plan on having a lot of water circulation if that matters.
>>
>>2335993
Wow are trying to make your fish die sooner?
Smh
>>
>>2336003

wow someone was triggered
>>
>>2335964
>eating a fly
>gore
>>
>>2336001
Snail jello? What the hell is that?

Looking for advice on my future stocking plans for a 35 or 37 gallon tank. I already have the Rainbow Shark, so the choices are/need to be made around it.

Rainbow Shark x1
Zebra Danio x6
Serpae Tetra x6
Tiger Barb x6
Mystery Snail x1

I checked the stocking levels on AqAdvisor and it is at 109% with the above stock. I may drop the Tiger Barbs and just have a larger school of Serpae's, though I am open to suggestions on what else I could do.
>>
File: 1484954494618.jpg (40KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1484954494618.jpg
40KB, 320x320px
>>2335964
>>2335938
>this SUB is a joke
>>
>>2336008
Different anon, but from a quick google search it seems to be a mixture of baby food, gelatin, tums, and algae wafers.

I'd avoid the mystery snail though to be quite honest. I found them to be really dirty and it's a crap shoot if your fish will fuck with their eye stalks and feelers. My danios would pick on the poor things so much they ended up in a 10 gallon and their tentacles were like a quarter of their original length.
>>
File: Kuhli.jpg (52KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Kuhli.jpg
52KB, 960x720px
>>2336008
You may also want to think about getting something that stays at the bottom layer of the tank, like kuhli loaches. Stocking is more about where and how much space in the tank the fish uses.
>>
>>2336011
I'll have to look up the snail jello.

What could I get instead of the Mystery snail that would help clean up?

>>2336012
Taking your advice I have it set up with:
Rainbow Shark x1
Zebra Danio x6
Serpae Tetra x8 (+2)

If I find them at on of the LFS near me, I could fit 5-7 of them. What about Siamese Algae Eaters ? One LFS has them in stock.
>>
>>2336034
Honestly anon, a "clean up fish" is a meme. There isn't anything that has a negative bioload.

Siamese algae eaters are going to be another 6 inch fish in a tank that's already pushing the limit. Your rainbow shark will grow to 6 inches and they are aggressive towards tank mates that aren't their size. They also are going to want a 55 gallon because they need room to move. You could try the 35/37 and see how the shark does, but I'd wager you're going to end up with dead danios and a lazy shark.

The aqadvisor is by no means a reliable source, it's really important that you read everything you can about each fish and fully understand what they need and how they act before you put them together. You wouldn't put a lion and an antelope in the same cage so that same logic should apply here.
>>
>>2336034

like >>2336042 anon said, there isn't anything with a negative bioload. i do like nerite snails for keeping algae off of surfaces that would otherwise be a pain in the ass to clean, like plant leaves. nerites also require brackish water to breed, so you don't have to worry about them getting out of hand.
>>
>>2336034
I would start asking yourself how much you actually like that rainbow shark. Mine ended up bullying everything I tried putting in there, no matter what it was. If you still want to try, make sure you get a taller tank so he can stay at the bottom where he likes it. And I would definitely avoid other bottom dwelling fish because of territory issues.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
How does /aq/ like my fiddler crab tank? It's a 10 gal. I just fed them a raisin and they loved it. Pls no bully
>>
>>2335998
CO2 won't "compete" with oxygen for space in the water, but it is toxic at certain levels, and can be more potent with low oxygen content in the water. It'll negatively affect animals above a certain threshold, but people don't always agree on where that threshold should be, and I don't have personal experience to go off of. I usually see people suggest 25-40ppm CO2 as being the highest "safe" value as far as the CO2 directly affecting the fish, with 30ppm coming up a bit more often than other numbers.

If you have a lot of surface agitation, it could be difficult to ever get the levels that high, as it'll off-gas through the surface of the water.

If you have very little surface agitation, it could affect the levels of dissolved oxygen in the tank, which could affect fish health independent of the actual CO2 levels. If you have enough plants in the tank for that much CO2 to be useful, the plants will probably offset the risk by putting out oxygen themselves. It can become more of an issue if the CO2 is running at night.
>>
>>2336070
I don't know much about fiddler crabs, but the tank seems overstocked.
>>
>>2336070

They seem like happy little fiddlers
>>
>>2336095
What is with you people seriously
>>
>>2336095

from what i've read, fiddler crabs are very communal crabs and do well in large numbers. I believe it because the large male on the left is my oldest one. He dances as a mating ritual and has already mated with one of my past crabs. When my last generation died off he became very lethargic and stopped dances. I went to walmart a couple days ago and bought 3 females and another small male. Now he has acquired new dance moves and is even getting along with the other male. Invertebrates seem really underrated on this board, they are fun to observe.

>>2336101
Thanks desu
>>
>>2336109
Okay, as long as they're getting along. I thought they were a lot more territorial than that, but I haven't looked into them for a long time. They're cute. You should post a video of their mating dances.

>>2336108
Is it even possible to have skin this thin?
>of course it is
>>
File: 20170311_163931.jpg (97KB, 1032x774px) Image search: [Google]
20170311_163931.jpg
97KB, 1032x774px
help me out guys

can you please list off possible causes of the death of a juvenile(??? 5cm or so) comet goldfish that has been in a tank for a week, was one day swimming and eating happily and then by lunch time the next day dead at the bottom of the tank, that also has not affected the other inhabitants of the tank (other comets, mystery snails) in any apparent way.

my senpai thinks it may have been overfeeding and the fish ate itself to death, or that the fish was just a dud and was going to die anyway and in the absence of any other possible cause I tend to agree, any other opinions?

I want to try and avoid killing my fish they are smol
>>
>>2336129
how long has your water been clouded like that?
>>
>>2336129
Do you know the parameters?
I'd lean with it being a did. Goldfish in general are real hit and miss.
>>
>>2336042
>>2336054
>>2336050

I understand that each fish will add to the bioload, but I am looking for something that will help cleaning up the algae and general crap/uneaten food (that gets past my net following feeding) in the substrate.

SAE's are out then. My plan for this is to get fish that will either be A. Too fast for the shark, or B. tough enough to hold their own against him. The Zebra Danios fit A, and the Tiger Barbs/ Serpae's fit B. I plan on having numerous caves and hiding spots on the bottom level of the tank. I will be adding the Rainbow Shark last, just so he isn't very territorial at first with the other fish. The Rainbow Shark is my favorite fish.I'll look around for taller tanks.
>>
>>2336228
If you want detritus cleanup services buy snails or crustacean.

PS: You're liable to already have zooplankton that do that job in your tank as is. Copepods and amphipods love to hitch rides on rock or plants and colonize tanks.

Algae is one of those things aquarium owners care more about for appearance-related reasons rather than the health of their fish. The majority of algae blooms on Earth are not HABs or harmful to fish. If it's not forming a thick film over every surface in the tank I wouldn't worry about it too much other than trying to reduce the food waste over time (waste food = nitrogen = fuel for algae).

Cyanobacteria is a different story, every tank on Earth will have detectable cyanobacteria to some level. They can be a bitch if they build up not only because of unsightliness but also due to cyanotoxins and impact on the dissolved oxygen levels. They're impossible to truly keep out, just control. This can be done by regulating the level of nitrogen and phosphorus in the nutrient column, using a better filter, and replacing your lighting tube regularly.
>>
>>2335964
Bought some RCS and one is berried. Was going to put them in with my betta and ghost shrimp, but at 5 dollars a piece I figure I could stand to let them breed a bit. I don't have another tank set up right now and I am unsure if the other cherry is a male or just an unberried female. Is there any way I can make a separate area in my tank for them to breed in?
>>
File: Carlos.jpg (465KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Carlos.jpg
465KB, 1500x1000px
Hello.

This is my Betta, and I'm wondering if he has Ich. There are two white spots on his pectoral fin that were never there before. I first saw them 2 weeks ago, after I had just gotten done treating him in a salted QT tank for finrot.

Like I said, it's been two weeks now and so far I haven't noticed any sort of spread...just those two spots. What do you guys think? Should I do a salt treatment again, or is this some sort of natural marking that developed?
>>
>>2336314
Oh, it might be worth mentioning that he still very much has an appetite and doesn't appear to rub on anything.
>>
File: fish.jpg (975KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
fish.jpg
975KB, 1632x1224px
Anyone can id this fish? I saw it in a LFS in a tank with a bunch of angels and a discus. It looks kinda like an arowana but I wasn't sure. Thought it was neat looking
>>
File: fish2.jpg (1MB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
fish2.jpg
1MB, 1632x1224px
>>2336342
another pic of it
>>
>>2336342
African butterfly fish. They don't move much more than the pictures taken of them.
>>
how hard are axolotls to keep? are they fun to keep? i'm a beginner with an empty 20g and i'm really leaning towards getting one of these guys.
>>
Is 1 million gallons enough for a single goldfish?
>>
>>2336366
the goldfish will quickly outgrow this
>>
>>2336366
No. Minimum 10 million for 1 golfish, and an addition 5 million for every additional fish.
>>
>>2336366
No, I've bred goldfish and know this isn't enough. Just admit you don't care.
>>
>>2336131

The water isn't clouded now, that pic is old and is from when I first put the tank together the gravel made the water dusty for a while

>>2336133

I had the water tested about 4 days ago and it came up flawless, it's 5 juvenile fish in a 60 gallon tank it shouldn't have changed so drastically in such a short time? And if it were ammonia all the other fish would be sick too.
>>
File: P3160130 (1024x1012).jpg (604KB, 1024x1012px) Image search: [Google]
P3160130 (1024x1012).jpg
604KB, 1024x1012px
>>2336438
>The water isn't clouded now
ah
>if it were ammonia all the other fish would be sick too.
not necessarily.
but it's probably just a bad fish.
feeders aren't bred well or cared for.
>>
>>2336451
please tell me those are sponges and not BGA... thats gross
>>
>>2336488
>please tell me those are sponges and not BGA...
neither.
your marine ID'ing skills need work.
>>
>>2336488
BGA isn't that fleshy, and sponges don't grow in that kind of light.
>>
>>2336428
Omega One is the only widely available brand I know of that actually has algae as the first ingredient on their algae wafers.
You can make your own food or just feed them whole foods like nori, broccoli, zucchini, brine shrimp, bloodworms, etc.
>>
What the fuck why are there two threads

And why does this one not have some kind of aquarium picture? I already started posting in the other thread.
>>
>>2336565
because the last one became autistic as fuck
>>
>>2336565
This isn't a general. Look at the subject.
>>2336483

>>2336483

>>2336483

New general
>>
>>2336314
From what I understand, Ich will oftentimes manifest itself in the gills first, where it can't be easily seen. I'm not sure how behaviorally visible it would be in a labyrinth fish in the early stages. If it is Ich or some other protozoan you'll likely know soon enough as the spots start to blow up.

Personally, as some one who had a goldfish with Ich a few weeks ago, it doesn't look like it to me. It could be a tumor or something, if that's any reassurance.
>>
File: IMG_1256.jpg (903KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1256.jpg
903KB, 2448x2448px
Here's a broken betta i adopted today. He's currently got a 30 gallon tank to himself.
>>
>>2336034
personally i always liked the siamese algae eaters as a fish in general. but im pretty sure they only eat algae when young. i don't think one will ever get to 6 inches.

clown loaches are pretty cool. but 35 gallons is a little small. and algae eatting fish are kinda a meme. the razor blade works way faster
>>
>>2335978
>heroin filled syringe next to tank
>wow nice tank anon
nice tank anon, and nice snail might i add
>>
>>2336070
is it normally that cramped or did you just toss in one raisin and they all fought to the death for it in the center of the tank?
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.