[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/herp/ - Reptile & Amphibian General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 76

File: Crucifix-Toad.jpg (112KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
Crucifix-Toad.jpg
112KB, 800x534px
previous >>2289960

/herp/ reptile classifieds for finding breeders of various scaled and sundry creatures

>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>Also check to see if there are any annual reptile shows/expos in your area as these are good places to find good animals from good breeders at partial discount

/herp/ officially official all purpose care sheet of wonder and magic

>sand a shit
>use a thermostat
>read all the caresheets
>set up your tank before you get your herp
>regulate temps & humidity levels prior to herp arrival
>do not fuck with (handle) your herp for at least 7 days after bringing it home and ideally wait until herp has eaten at least one meal (for snakes), two meals for lizards, frogs, etc.
>PVC tanks are way better for most applications and worth the extra money
>it is best to avoid chain pet stores when looking to purchase live animals as mass breeder suppliers are not especially careful about health and sound genetics... it often saves you money long term to spend a little extra up front to get a healthy animal
>>
File: Myobatrachus.jpg (154KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
Myobatrachus.jpg
154KB, 900x600px
>>
*takes a dump*
>>
File: spadefoot-toad-showing-feet.jpg (66KB, 650x433px) Image search: [Google]
spadefoot-toad-showing-feet.jpg
66KB, 650x433px
>>
>>
File: Armadillo_lizard_large.jpg (60KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Armadillo_lizard_large.jpg
60KB, 500x500px
Picking up a pair of these beauties on Sunday. Someone is moiving and rehoming so got them and a Mali Uromaystx coming home over the next two weeks.
>>
File: Snapchat-9162991166125588917.jpg (829KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-9162991166125588917.jpg
829KB, 1440x2560px
Does anyone breed snakes on here if so what do you breed? Currently growing out a hypo brooks and southern pine for future breeding plans. I breed crested geckod and mourning geckos right now.
>>
File: IMG_5342.jpg (116KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5342.jpg
116KB, 640x640px
Showcasing my cornsnake's iridescence
Absolutely incredible never before seen never to be surpassed
>>
>>2302410
I cant tell if this is shitty quality or not from my phone
>>
>>2302405

I've bred a few times with my BP in the past. Decided to give it a bigger go this time. Just working on my females and letting them mature. So basically a near 4 year wait.
>>
File: IMG_20161217_010128.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161217_010128.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
saw this the other day while driving on a countryside road in a rainy night, I thought you faggots would be interested

I was there for 20 minutes and the salamander just kept going on and on, pulling the worm throught the rough asphalt with the force of a thousand hungry ancestors

shit was fucking brutal, godzilla tier
>>
File: IMG_20161217_010102.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161217_010102.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2302469
>>
File: IMG_20161217_010147.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161217_010147.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2302471
>>
File: IMG_20161217_010021.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161217_010021.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
>>2302473
>>
>>2302473

Where do you live? I used to find those salamanders everywhere when I was a kid but now never.
>>
File: lizardinjacket.jpg (681KB, 3059x2048px) Image search: [Google]
lizardinjacket.jpg
681KB, 3059x2048px
>>2302245
Hey /herp/ I made a discord if you guys are interested in voice chatting or getting more immediate responses if people are online.

https://discord.gg/28Tsg7v

If you guys are interested come in and talk or share shit. This was specifically for the herp general of /an/.
>>
>>2302481
shitty town near Barcelona, they are normally shy, I've only seen them on rainy days, they love that shit

I think it has something to do with this forest being deciduous, a lot of hidding ground and humidity

you? I read they only inhabit central europe
>>
>>2302469
tiger salamanders might look derpy, but they are pretty vicious
>>
>>2302405
I breed reptiles but not snakes. Chameleons and hopefully sometime leachianus
>>
>>2302490
it's a fire salamander anon but close enough, they are pretty much alike
>>
>>2302474
>that huge worm
Did it end giving up?
>>
>>2302494
I wish I know man I had to go, it looked like an endless fight and I had things to do

pretty tight match for the 20 minutes I was there, the salamander was fucking relentless and it actually was bitting and moving the worm a couple cm at a time, but that worm was huge indeed, very heavy and energy demanding

can make a webm if anyone's interested, I recorded a shitty video
>>
>>2302493
oh well how about that
convergent evolution is a curious thing
>>
>>2302245
>sand a shit
?
I need to know which of us is illiterate because I keep reading that over and over and it's not making sense to me.
>>
>>2302521
It's a meme you dip
>>
>>2302522
You're a meme
>>
>>2302521
you're a shit
>>
>>2302489

I am dumb I lived in USA, Washington State.

I just remembered them differently when I was a kid.

Long-Toed Salamanders are what I saw a lot.
>>
File: i-NcC7jKt-XL.jpg (57KB, 768x445px) Image search: [Google]
i-NcC7jKt-XL.jpg
57KB, 768x445px
>>2302543
Forgot image.
>>
>>2302543
lol it's ok man, lot of them look alike

>>2302516
it is indeed
>>
File: IMG_2557.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2557.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2302410
A nice and hydrated snake you got there! I love the iridescence on snakes.

>>2302405
I plan on making my first ever pairing later this year. A proven female jungle with male ghost. In 2019 I'm hoping my female sunglow 66% het anery and my female ghost 66% het albino will be ready to pair. Then I'll have a choice of the male ghost and a male anery motley 66% het albino to pair to either one.

This is the jungle female. She made some killer babies last season. She's getting this season off and I'll try pairing her for next season.
>>
>>2302487
Doesnt work
>>
>>2302646
>>2302487

I set it to never expire should , if not let me know again and I'll mess it around.
>>
Hey guys, I am thinking of getting a newt or salamander. Never had one before but I was planning on getting a 20-gallon long tank. A few questions.

1. What are some good choices? Fairly simple care, active, doesn't hide all the time, doesn't need a big swimming area or any at all.

2. How dangerous is the poison/venom? I've heard it can kill you if you eat it. Obviously I won't eat my pet but I've heard some poisons coming in contact with your eyes or mouth can cause issues. I'm a bit paranoid of this even with glove handling, so how severe is the risk if I accidentally somehow leave a bit of the poison on my hand or something. Also, I have cats, and I think they'll ignore the tank but I'm a bit concerned of them coming in contact with the tank insides at all, like if I clean the tank out.
>>
>>2302503
Yaas plez
>>
Got a 30cm spider glass cube, thought about hatching some cacti seeds in it while using the heat of my bigger snake tank.
So I would put wet soil and seeds in the small tank and put the small tank into the big tank. Is this a bad idea?
Possibility of mold spores leaving the small tank and hurting my snake?
>>
>>2302873
1. If you don't want a big water area you should go for a salamander, as most newts are bound closer to water. Your desires contradict each other though, as terrestrial species will always hide a lot of the time, sometimes for days, and usually only come out at night. Tiger salamanders are the most common ones, get big and are easy.

A year ago the USA got an interstate transportation ban on over 200 caudata species, so getting other kinds of salamanders might be a hassle depending on where you live.

2. No big deal really. If you don't wash your hands and touch your eyes it might cause slights irritations, but nothing to worry about. If anything, the contact is more harmful for amphibians because the oils and salts on human skin could cause harm to them.
>>
>>2302469
very pretty salamander. I live in a place with shitloads of them, but I can never find any for some reason :(
>>
>>2302944
oh I mean spotted salamanders and tiger salamanders, not the fire salamanders
>>
File: gecka.png (382KB, 1200x773px) Image search: [Google]
gecka.png
382KB, 1200x773px
Remember if you're not using uv light for your leopard geckos you're not providing the best environment for them.
>>
Are leopard geckos with albinism generally healthy animals? Do they develop any related health issues? Vision defects? They're beautiful but at what cost?
>>
>>2303316
They are more sensitive to light, especially their eyes.
>>
>>2303316
The UV needs to be weaker, as they lack protection without melanin
>>
>>2303266

Got a source on that? I've done some entirely unscientific experiments with UV fixtures with some other nocturnal gecko species. I did six months with UV bulbs then replaced them with ordinary non-UV emitting. Prior to that no tank lighting although the room the tanks are in gets plenty of indirect sunlight. General result was that the geckos tended to be more active when given some form of day lighting (12 hour on/off cycle) vs. just ambient room lighting. I did not notice any difference in behaviour or eating habits between UV light vs. non-UV light.
>>
File: happylizard.jpg (231KB, 1000x875px) Image search: [Google]
happylizard.jpg
231KB, 1000x875px
>>2303357
Well there's a lot to talk about here. First is that UVB does NOT penetrate through glass so if they're getting indirect sunlight but it's it's going through glass they're not benefiting like they should. UVB does a lot.
Leopard geckos are crepuscular which means active at those twilight hours of dawn and dusk.

http://arcadia-reptile.com/lighting-for-leopard-geckos/
Here's a nice little article from John C Smith who does the lead developmental work for Arcadia.
Besides that notable vets like Sean McCormack are strong advocates for uvb.

Regardless if they can live without it as keepers our job is to create a habitat as much like the wild as we can (save for things we view negatively like predation, parasites etc) so that they can do their natural behaviors and take care of themselves.
Though I don't have any scientific articles to cite I'd really encourage you to look into the issues of UVB with animals thought not to require it. At my job with the inclusion of it in some enclosures it really brings out a different side in some of the animals.
>>
File: 1485116231844390143542.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
1485116231844390143542.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>2302258
I have a mali. He's a big sweetheart
>>
I'm about to try and feed my snake his first rat switching from mice tomorrow
Any tips on preventing rejection
>>
>>2304037
>Any tips on preventing rejection
make sure she feels the same way about you. maybe you could ask one of her friends
>>
Tiger Salamander vs. some kind of frog.

I want an amphibian, never owned one before. I want something that's interesting to watch and at least slightly active/won't hide all the time. I've heard tiger salamanders aren't shy, but there's a bunch of frog species that seem fun too. Any personal experience?
>>
>>2303333
All of them are? Or just the ones with red eyes?
>>
>>2303391
What wattage uvb bulb would you recommend? Should it be lower for albinos?
>>
File: lg1.jpg (95KB, 740x370px) Image search: [Google]
lg1.jpg
95KB, 740x370px
>>2304086
So anything that's genetically related to the albino branch in terms of morph I would be wary of and just monitor their behaviors but realistically the ones with red or more pale eyes are the ones that are at risk. They're the sensitive ones to bright light.
Genetically speaking these animals are technically "weaker" as in they would not survive in the wild but in captivity there's really no bad health affects nor does it greatly impact their quality of life. As long as it's not super bright in their enclosure and they have plenty of appropriate shade areas, hides , places to get away from the light it won't be any issue to the animal. I'd still recommend using UVB with these guys which I will talk in more detail with below to the other anons question.

>>2304095
So there's a few ways to do this the easiest way and what I feel good recommending would be the arcadia 2% natural light T8 florescent lamp. It's really designed with leopard geckos in mind and crepuscular species. If you live in Europe I believe Arcadia is supplied in stores if you live in other places such as the USA you can purchase it online from sources like "light your reptiles" website or reptile basics. You could also use higher output bulbs like a reptisun 5 and elevate it more to dilute the uvb but this isn't going to look good and without a way to really measure it like a solarmeter ( which are expensive) or good experience with uv effectiveness with the distance I'd advise agaisnt doing it as too much uv will hurt your animal. You need the correct uv sweet spot.

You need to provide adequate shade and hides so the animal can choose when to expose itself. Leopard geckos also have a MUCH MUCH higher ability to produce D3 from uvb than a bearded dragon. For albinos I'd still use a 2% arcadia there's really nothing lower on the market. I'd advise against a CFL for now as it provides uv too narrowly concentrated. It can work in certain situations but overall florescent tubes are better.
>>
File: geico.jpg (72KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
geico.jpg
72KB, 900x600px
>>2304095
>>2304114
Ran out of room , continued for "should it be lower for albinos?"

Still using the 2% I wouldn't lower it for albinos. If you're really concerned you can place the 2% light higher but just having proper hides and shade is enough.

You don't have to have the UV light on for the entire day cycle either. You can have it on for just sunrise to noon or so whatever you're comfortable with.

Another note is that not only is UVB important for D3 but UVA plays other important roles. Leopard geckos are tetrachromatic and can see UVA light where we cannot. This can really change how they perceive their world and is thought to help them breed more and be less stressed. It's thought now that a lot of species that we cannot see any sexual dimorphism in might be telling each other apart by UVA differences we cannot really understand.
UVA does penetrate cloud and glass but providing the uv fixture really makes a difference in terms of UVA.

Hope you guys are entertaining the idea and of course I hope you keep an open mind and do your own research.

If you have any other questions just feel free to ask and I can try to help best I can.
>>
>>2304114
>nor does it greatly impact their quality of life.

That was what I was wondering. I don't want to spend twice as much money on an animal that is half as healthy as a "normal". But with them being in such a controlled environment it makes sense that it's a non-issue.

Also I just looked more into the arcadia lights and I'll definitely be investing in one. Their company clearly has their shit together. Thanks so much for replying, you've been a huge help.
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (55KB, 556x988px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
55KB, 556x988px
sup guys, so i got a 40g hex tank with stand from 1989 on craigslist for like 40$ and decided to reseal and repurpose it to give it some life again. I figured since it was so cheap and try to do my first custom vivarium environment on it after watching roughly 500 videos about it. Anyway, pics from really early construction about an hour ago, waiting for the great stuff to dry right now so i can do some carving and throw coco fiber over it later. i have a small pump in the bottom that i'm planning to use as a waterfall(note the tubing). overall, it's been a fun experience. tell me what you guys think so far and any suggestions/etc.

side note im thinking im gonna throw some green anoles in here and i'm live planting it too(note the planters, not sure if they can be seen in pic)
>>
File: oh..jpg (54KB, 556x989px) Image search: [Google]
oh..jpg
54KB, 556x989px
>>2304140
yay pictures
>>
>>2304133
No problem. If you like podcasts or want to learn more about UV and vitamins there's a really great piece done on a higher level podcast about chameleons. It features the lead developer of Arcadia and it's really one of the better ones as well as it provides insight into a much more general topic than specifically chameleons.

http://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-55-mbd-uvb-with-john-courteney-smith/

If you guys are on your computers often I thought it'd be cool to get a discord going. Might not work well on /an/ but if it does I thought it'd be neat to have as a resource in addition to these threads. Here's the link.

>>2304144
That's looking really good man the only thing I really have to add is that I find that grapewood ( if that is what you're using hard to see on mobile) if wet a lot seems to be prone to mold if in a wet environment. Also great stuff comes in a stone black color too that I really like to use for aesthetics though if you're covering it completely doesn't matter it costs more anyway for the black stuff.
Also if you're using live plants I'm not sure how your lighting situation is but 6.5k helps a lot to keep my plants alive. Looking really good so far though.
>>
>>2304037
first just try to feed it and see what happens. afterward in order of annoyance:
1) brain the rat (use a knife or box knife or whatever to pierce the base of the rats skull until blood comes out)
2)scent the rat basically rub it around in mouse bedding or on another mouse or whatever you can find that's easiest
3) isn't really annoying but more of a last resort that you shouldn't need but that has literally always worked for me scent the rat with chicken broth. it's really weird and i can't explain why but it always works in my experience
>>
File: 20161123_050021.jpg (195KB, 893x1191px) Image search: [Google]
20161123_050021.jpg
195KB, 893x1191px
>>2304083
Tiger salamanders don't care much once they are out, but they are gonna spend a lot of time burrowed, that's just their way of life.

Tree frogs aren't very shy, but they prefer to just sit most of the night on a branch, waiting for food.

Some nice active and diurnal species would be fire bellied toads and poison darts.
>>
>anon makes thread asking for herp advice
>link him to /herp/ and say they will be able to help
>anon never makes a post in /herp/

everytime
>>
>>2302481
I used to find tiger salamanders in south Sask Canada, slightly different but the little fucks get big
>>
>>2302258
Damn Anon I'm really jealous. I'd love to own an Armadillo....
>>
>>2302254

you should put butter on this and eat before main course
>>
>>2304496

Oh cool. I grew up in Saskatoon and had no idea there were local salamander species. Just tiny little frogs and sometimes garter snakes.
>>
File: FAT.jpg (60KB, 635x419px) Image search: [Google]
FAT.jpg
60KB, 635x419px
>>
>>2302493
>have yellow spotted salamander that looks pretty similar aswell
>>
File: IMG_20170123_154929.jpg (821KB, 3782x1872px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170123_154929.jpg
821KB, 3782x1872px
>>2304565

They are hard to breed but a friend of mine and a show owner are looking at trying to breed our animals and hopefully get a few more around here.

Also terrible picture but the one on the right is skittish so I figured I'd just take the shot of the two and get singles later.
>>
File: IMG_20170123_181141.jpg (1MB, 3003x2838px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170123_181141.jpg
1MB, 3003x2838px
>>2304659

Here is lizard one.
>>
File: IMG_20170123_180052.jpg (1MB, 3787x3006px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170123_180052.jpg
1MB, 3787x3006px
>>2304659

Here is two.
>>
progress update on making his own tank guy. I added the coco fiber to the great stuff today and it's holding really well it seems. Gonna vacuum out the remnants tomorrow and get the bottom finished(false bottom, filtration for lower substrate; aquarium pebbles in this case, and on top of all that will be cypress mulch. I know it sounds like overkill but it should run like a dream when I'm finished and I'll update tomorrow with pics and maybe a webm of the waterfall running once it's operational.

after that it's a matter of giving it a day or two to make sure everything's properly cured, planting it and then ordering some lizards! woo!
>>
>>2304651
That's a nice gecko.
>>
>>2304740
>>2304742
I love how those guys look. have you thought about abronia graminea? those are my favorite looking
>>
>>2304868
Cool build, anon. Looking forward to seeing the finish product.
>>
File: stuffsssssss.jpg (56KB, 556x988px) Image search: [Google]
stuffsssssss.jpg
56KB, 556x988px
>>2305038
just put the false substrate in actually. as a side note after i put in a substrate barrier over the false bottom, can i use aquarium gravel as a "top" substrate for anoles? does anyone have experience with it? it seems like it'd be fine but i'd be kinda terrified of an anole swallowing a rock or something. How likely is that? I know with sands and gravels impaction can sometimes occur but if an anole is going for a cricket or something is it possible they'd grab and swallow a rock by mistake?
>>
>Tortoise loves to eat mushrooms
>Wonder if its wild brethren are eating psychoactive shrooms and getting high as shit
How would a high tortoise even act?
>>
>>2305175
depends on the size of the gravel
if its bigger than their heads you shouldnt have a problem
>>
Is this ok for reptiles? It's so much cheaper than the calcium supplements in pet stores
>>
File: gargoyle10.jpg (147KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
gargoyle10.jpg
147KB, 600x337px
What do you guys think about gargoyle geckos?

A local guy is trying to rehome his 2-year-old male gargoyle gecko, and I'm kinda interested.

I've never taken care of an animal on my own before, let alone a gecko, so I'd be starting with zero knowledge.
>>
>>2305240
how much is he rehoming it for? what all does it come with?
>>
File: The end.jpg (78KB, 528x938px) Image search: [Google]
The end.jpg
78KB, 528x938px
>>2305175
finished it up today. Threw in the live plants and got the substrate in. (decided to go with cypress mulch just cos it's much safer and I didn't want to ruin everything) anyway tell me what you guys think! I'll probably order the anoles sometime in the future.
>>
>>2305245
$125 for the gecko, a full container of food, and a fully decorated enclosure.

The weird thing is that it looks like he just got the gecko about two weeks ago.
>>
>>2305248
Seems like a pretty good deal if the equipment is actually suited for the gecko.
>>
>>2305254
How do I know if the equipment is suitable or not?
>>
>>2305240
I really like gargoyles they're really chill.

They're pretty easy to care for and decently long lived. It seems like a decent price but I'd have to see a picture of the set up and animal to know if its all okay.
>>
>>2305257
The tank should be at least a tall 30 gal decorated with a lot of bark/plants to climb around on. Temperatures should reach around 82 degrees during the day so hopefully it has a heat lamp.
>>
>>2305261
>>2305264
Thank you! I'll sleep on it tonight and decide in the next couple days.
>>
>>2305246
That'll look great once your plants grow in. If you gets the anoles before the plants are a decent size, I suggest adding in some plastic foliage in the mean time to give the anoles sufficient cover.
>>
>>2305257
Do you have a picture of the tank? If so post it and we can take a look. Tank should be minimum 18x18x18 (inches) with 18x18x24 being better. If the guy's tank is 12x12x18, the garg will outgrow that in a year and will need to be upgraded.

Gargs are awesome, btw. Less jumpy than cresteds and so easier to hold once in a while.
>>
Any recommendations on the best first time snakes and why?
>>
>>2305329
Well what are you looking for in a snake? Do you want something big , lots of handling , looks , "personality", easy , decorating cage. I'll give a few different ones but I want to know what you want in a snake.
>>
>>2305329
In general you want a ground dwelling arid climate snake under 6 foot adult length. What's best depends on where you live and what is common there. For north america, good beginner species are corn snake, king snake, rosy boa, antaresia pythons, western hognose (if legal where you live), and ball python if you insist. Ball pythons are the only species on that list that are fussy about a specific humidity range and also thete only species that will have feeding problems even when completely healthy
>>
>>2305330
>>2305332

I actually kind of have my heart set on an orange corn snake...

I've looked on craigslist/kijiji and there seem to be some pretty good options that come with terrariums

Any tips/advice/anything you wish you had been told?

I also have a cat
>>
>>2305336
Honestly I think a corn snake is a great starter snake that's certainly charming. My only real advice is make sure you do your prior research , set up tank and check heat / humidity a week before , and make sure to buy a healthy animal from a reputable breeder.

Sure getting a cheap animal from craigslist might be cool but paying a bit more to somebody who really helps the hobby to get an animal that won't need vet bills or have complications I think is worth it for what you really want.

Up to you though.
>>
>>2305336
id go with what that anon said
also you should be fine with a cat, just make sure you get screen clips for your tank
also try to not let them interact, its definitely not good for the snake and might not be for the cat either
>>
>>2305340
>>2305354

I'm thinking of

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-reptiles-amphibians/mississauga-peel-region/6-year-old-corn-snake-and-75-gallon-tank-free/1230921996?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Are there any red flags I should watch out for when it comes to the snakes health? Any tips on moving the snake?
>>
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-reptiles-amphibians/city-of-toronto/2-different-corn-snakes-with-full-set-up-food/1232851850?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

This one also looks pretty good (I like the big tanks) but two snakes might be a bit much??
>>
>>2305231
Please respond
>>
>>2305450

Anyone able to talk me out of this? I'm like 80% gna get this.....

Or just any general tips/questions I should ask?
>>
>>2305459

I have these 2 crested geckos in 3x2x2 AP PVC cage with temp/humidity auto controls and lots of decor. The girl lays eggs all over the place because it's damp coco husk and she doesn't like laying boxes. It's fine as long as I find them before they hatch, because the enclosure is practically an incubator.

Recently, I've noticed that she gives away her egg positions so I don't have to hunt for them. She guards them. For months. I've found 6 eggs in 1 spot before that she was guarding, so that's at least 6 weeks. This isn't just her checking in on them for a couple of days after the laying.

What makes this interesting is that crested geckos are not supposed to guard their eggs. But the trend stands. If she is not resting on her food ledge, she is guarding eggs nearby. If I see her off her food ledge in daylight hours, there is always eggs within a few inches of her.

Weird stuff. Anyone else have lizards that do this? Is the info out there about guarding eggs just wrong?

Pic is a baby from last year having it's first shed.
>>
>>2305450
Yikes. No I don't recommend this. It's pretty dicey to cohab two corns even if they're both female.

You can buy tank etc. used but it's best to buy the actual animal from a breeder or reptile specialty shop. Since you're in the GTA there are several options for breeders and good non-chain shops.
>>
>>2305231
Yes that's fine. You can mix it with Vionate to add extra vitamins as well.
>>
>>2305476
>Is the info out there about guarding eggs just wrong?

Yeah that can depend on the individual gecko to a certain extent. I find that when documentation on a particular species says they don't do something, it usually means majority case and not necessarily strict rule. Also things can go differently in captive conditions vs. wild sometimes.
>>
File: --, ;;_3608.jpg (280KB, 1632x780px) Image search: [Google]
--, ;;_3608.jpg
280KB, 1632x780px
>>2305478

I agree with this person. This is a picture of 2 gophers I keep together for mating once a year. This is a large 4x2x2 cage. They never had any aggression - that was never a problem for me. It's just a pain in the ass.

You have to remove and feed them separately. Spot cleaning is pretty much impossible and changing water bowls has to be done like a ninja because these fuckers are fast and don't shy away from an open door (2 of them doing it is not cool).

They need 2 hot hides, 2 cool hides, 2 basking spots, 2 full-size water bowls, etc. I practically have a 2nd tree-top level to artificially increase floor space (one doesn't mind hanging out in the air). And all that decor just makes for more cleaning hassle.

Again, I never had issues with the snakes fighting, but I take a LOT of precautions to remove problem areas. If I could afford it, I'd be using a 10x2x3 cage instead so they'd be less cramped.

It's just not worth the trouble, or the risk.
>>
>>2305451
>Please respond

Think of it this way. Why is Tylenol twice the price of store-brand acetaminophen? They're both 500mg, right? The same reason $1.50 worth of Insulin costs $300 in an epipen. It's the delivery system, not the actual product.

I am not going to pretend to be able to be able to tell you the specific differences in how the calcium in the two is delivered and broken down in the body. But I will point out that reptiles are MUCH less flexible and adaptable than humans when it comes to ingesting and digesting.

Without having a scientist to specifically answer that question in detail, I wouldn't risk giving any supplements to a reptile that isn't made for them. And even if it's made for them, I still wouldn't do it without consulting a vet.
>>
>>2305494
Pure calcium carbonate is same in both reptile and human application. The only difference is that the reptile specific stuff is a finer grind in order to better stick to feeder insects. The Osteoform + Vionate combo is used by several gecko breeders at a 1:4 ratio (four parts Vionate to one part Osteo-form).

I do recommend Repashy Calcum Plus to take the guess work out of it though.
>>
Just wanted to ask what /herp/ thinks is the best substrate for a leopard gecko
>>
>>2305516
sand-clay mixture if you're going for a natural looking tank, otherwise tiles.
>>
>>2305478

Yeah that was a bit of a concern for me

But the previous owner has cohabed them for like five years with no issues (grain of salt tho I guess)

And they're about the same size and same gender

And they both look like really lovely snakes hmmmm idk

>>2305485

So do you have a mini box to put a snake when you're cleaning/feeding the other one?
>>
File: image.jpg (125KB, 840x534px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125KB, 840x534px
Thinking of getting a blue tongue skink, I know you feed them every 3 days and their diet is like 50% veggies 40% meat and 10% fruit, but how much should I feed them? Just give them a feast and take it out when they don't want anymore?
>>
>>2305450
If you get them, immediately separate them. Corns are cannibalistic and REALLY prone to getting eggbound, which can kill them or cost you a few grand in surgery bills if you catch it soon enough.
>>
>>2305694
Pretty sure they are not known to be cannibalistic.... but i agree it can stress them out and affect eating and longevity.
>>
File: IMG_20170124_191249_952.jpg (1MB, 2213x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170124_191249_952.jpg
1MB, 2213x1836px
>>2305516
All the research I've done points to tile. Pic related just put these in yesterday (ignore how sparse it is, I'm just getting started)
>>
>>2305530
>So do you have a mini box to put a snake when you're cleaning/feeding the other one?

I have some ~18"x12"x8" lidded storage bins. Neither of them is allowed to eat in the main cage. I can't risk it being associated with a feeding ground.

Like I said, the precautions are tedious but you can't risk not giving 100%. Because it's nature. You never know.
>>
>>2305516

Meh. There's tons of options. Tile, felt, coco, etc.

If you just want to keep'em alive, anything will do. If you want them to live 20 years, you'll have to step up your game.

I don't want to get preachy on it. It just depends on your cage, how well it retains heat and humidity. Also, how you personally care for them. If you don't want to have to clean it alot, or if you need it to smell good, or look good, etc, then the recommendation shifts. Experiment a bit and find one that fits your style.

I personally settled on coco husk because it looks great, holds humidity like a sponge, and deodorizes with that nice woodsy smell. It's pretty good for people just starting out who don't really understand how heat and humidity affect each other in the different heat zones of a cage since it adds a lot of padding to the moisture levels if you just dump 2 cups of water straight into the substrate every couple of days. It disperses itself. Easy peasy.
>>
>>2305673
Read a few care sheets and do an average of recommended feeding. With omnivorous herps the usual is all the veg they want and then bugs at set intervals. Do lots of research though.
>>
>>2305741
Good choice on the tea candle holder. Those things are my calcium and mealworm bowl of choice. Cheap, easy to clean, and absolutely untippable.

Just don't put superworms in them. They can climb out given enough time to figure out how to leverage themselves up the side.
>>
>MFW my BP has gone on his first-ever fast
>MFW he sheds
>MFW he takes a big ol shit.

Snakes are fucking bizarre.
>>
>>2305762

Hm, I've done a lot of reading and it seems like the (internet) consensus is that that's a misconception

You don't want to handle a snake after its eating and moving it is stressful

It's true that you don't want the snake to associate you opening your cage with feeding, but you should be handling it outside of that

But the alternative is to feed two snakes in the tank which just seems like an even worse idea...
>>
File: cannibalized hatchling.jpg (234KB, 800x531px) Image search: [Google]
cannibalized hatchling.jpg
234KB, 800x531px
>>2305699
You're right my bad.

Sure, it's vastly more common for hatchlings to cannibalize, but I have seen where an adult has done so. I think it's usually during breeding attempts with adults, and with babies it's during the time breeders cohabitate babies before their first shed.
>>
What's the best/cheapest thermostat for heat mats?
>>
>>2305838
Thanks friend, I'll remember that.
>>
>>2302245
What are some good frogs for a first timer?
>>
>>2306024

Hydrofarm/Jump Start thermostat. Amazon sells it. Usually about $30-$40.
>>
>They've been together since the beginning and never had any issues. They love to sleep together even though I have a number of different hide-outs for them. Right now there are 2 in there (big rock with removable top, and very long log), I have 2 more hide-outs that are not in the tank but they don't use them so I pulled them out and included a lot more tree branches for them to climb on as they love it.

Got this response from a lady whose trying to sell two corn snakes in one 60g tank

>They've been together since the beginning and never had any issues. They love to sleep together even though I have a number of different hide-outs for them. Right now there are 2 in there (big rock with removable top, and very long log), I have 2 more hide-outs that are not in the tank but they don't use them so I pulled them out and included a lot more tree branches for them to climb on as they love it.

Seems legit??
>>
So my RES has suddenly decided to stop eating when she used to eat like a pig. It's been at least 5 days since she really avidly ate (she'd only eat like 1-2 pellets when trying to feed her while refusing veggies all together). On top of that, I haven't seen her pass stools since then either. Water parameters and temperatures have not changed (78-79 water temp, 87-89 basking temp) Beyond that, she acts normally with no signs of lethargy or erratic behavior.

Anyone know if this is a sign of impaction or constipation and what would be the best way to approach it?
>>
>>2306266
stop feeding pellets and offer it insects, worms, fish or shrimp and see if it accepts that
>>
>>2306272
There's already a guppy colony and some ghost shrimp in the tank, it goes ignored. When offering dried shrimp/mealworm treats, she only eats 1-2 like the pellets.
>>
>>2306118
There are a few different ways to go,

Arboreal: White's tree trog
Ground dwelling: pacman frog
Semi-aquatic: fire belly toads (which are frogs)
Aquatic: african clawed frog
>>
>>2306213
They're sleeping together despite the hide choices because when snakes lay on top of each other it's a display of dominance. The snake on top is trying to force the bottom one out of the space its in, competing for warm/humid spots.

When cohabitating snakes, anything can go wrong at any time. "I've had them together for years and nothing has happened yet" is not a valid argument. Things do happen, and they'll have little control over it when it does. You the only way you can guarantee that neither snake will harm the other is to separate them if you do get them.
>>
>>2304155
Like....dip it in chicken broth? I really dont want to touch the rat any more then i need to and dont have a mouse to scent it with so i will have to give that a try
Btw i went to feed him and he was shedding so i couldnt feed him and am still waiting
>>
>>2306434
Yep. Get a pair of extra large tweezers(they sell em at most pet shops specifically for feeding snakes) dip it in and dangle. Every snake ive had has gone for it. I have 2 dumerils 2 hognoses a ball a rainbow boa and a kingsnake. All of em get down on it. Granted all of em ate regularly anyway but i tested it for jokes and it worked on everyone. Its just a weird trick of the trade thing that a local breeder taught me and its always worked for both of us.
>>
Help!
I saw my bearded dragon eat a popcorn seed that my kids had dropped on the floor.
He pooped normally once a day after that for 3 days. Now he hasn't pooped in 2-3 days unless he has a secret pooping place somewhere in his gigantic viv. He seems perfectly normal and eats every day. I didn't find the seed in his poops he made after eating the seed. Is it possible a bearded dragon can digest it or is it still in there?
>>
>>2306594
Forgot to mention it's a 6 months old juvenile and weights 284 grams.
>>
>>2306594
>>2306597

Please respond, I can't even sleep.
>>
>>2306618
bath in warm water
that should get anything moving if it needs too
it seems like something he should pass without any issues, at that age i assume the kernel is less than the width between his eyes
>>
>>2306620
I've bathed him but he hasn't produced the seed.
How do I know if he's impacted?
Do they do something to indicate it?
>>
>>2306594

It can take a few days extra to pass a difficult bowel movement. My girl got semi blocked once I thought then she pooped two days later after a few baths and gently massaging her lower left tummy area. If you feel a lump there do not press on it just gently prod around it. It should work its way out with the age and size of your lizard it just probably needs a bit of time and possibly a small nudge to move it lose.

When I say massage I mean use about the pressure you would to stroke a cat's furr. Unless you know.. Neanderthal it or something you should be good.
>>
>>2306633
if he decides to stop eating thats a pretty big indication
>>
>>2306634
>>2306648
Thanks for your help.
Since you know about these guys, is it possible to ever get him a friend or a mate in the same viv?
What I've heard is that males need to be the same size and female leads to egging.
He has to spend the days alone while me and my wife are at work and the kids are at school.
I think it must be awfully dull life for him.
>>
>>2306660

Mostly a bad idea. Especially males because there will be a dominance struggle. Maybe not for a year but there are small indications like one sitting on top of the other to rob sunlight and warmth.

I am not saying it cannot be done because they are semi social. They are eachother in the wild but they do not tend to cohabitate.

As for a female I would say not a good idea either. They should wait at least a year before breeding if not longer and they will try to breed as soon as they can. Beardies can lay big clutches and the babies eat a ton of food and you will hemmorage until you sell them off. Breeding isn't generally worth it unless you have food colonies or are selling variations of the morphs which sell for more.
>>
>>2306668

>See not are*

And I mean when the male's hit sexual maturity they will more than likely fight if not before then. I have seen beardies even with two females that have ripped the others hand off or crushed it. Not worth the risk IMO. Breeding them even they should be separated except for when you are breeding them. They can however be socialized outside of their cages or during supervised visits.
>>
>>2306668
What if I just toss the eggs? Do they get along or does a female miss them?
>>
>>2306673

They are generally unattached. And you can freeze them to make sure they die off and then toss them. Girls also lay infertile eggs even if left alone.
>>
>>2306673
i honestly couldnt tell you about beardie laying behavior but how big is your viv?
if it isnt at the very least 100 gallons i wouldnt cohabitate
>>
>>2306676
And they don't attack each other?
>>
>>2306677
It's 170cm x 70cm x 70cm.
Dunno what a gallon is.
>>
>>2306678

I cannot say it won't happen. I generally advise against cohabitation of bearded dragons.

What you can do is look at your local Petco or PetSmart wait until they have a 1$ a gallon sale. Get two 40gal breeders let the cages sit next to eachother but be individual setups. See how they react then maybe do test cohabitation. Or you can pair them and be ready to separate. A 40g breeder sells fast on clist if you needed to get rid of it later. You want tanks that are short long and wide as possible. You can do a single cage if you cohab until they get bigger but you need about 40g per adult. More if you want (40g is fine but bigger is always better of course).

Also if you plan to have a female with the male if you see them tail lock it begin to do courting behavior you need to put a lay box in the cage so your female can lay and not get eggbound which can kill her.
>>
>>2306682
thats a pretty good size actually
if you want to cohabitate you probably have enough space to
but they really dont need it. they dont experience loneliness like you think it does. you're anthropomorphizing your lizard
>>
>>2306682

Also Google aquarium calculator. I'd do it real fast but I'm busy and it's not my tank.
>>
>>2306692
I don't have such things as Petco and PetSmart. I live in Finnish Lapland and I think this might be the first ever bearded dragon this far north.
Thanks for your help.
Now I just need to find a female bearded dragon who lives in Lapland.
Piece of cake :D
>>
>>2306701

Ah okay well best of luck. I am an imperial system pig so my setup is 40 gal or roughly 152 liter
>>
>>2306696
>anthropomorphizing

Such a fancy word I had to look it up.
I am clearly doing that. I'm struggling with myself right now. I know this guy shouldn't spend his life in such a small cage+my house. But does it really matter? Do they know they are cage animals?
My beardie has pearcing black eyes and white eyeballs and I swear he can express himself even with his face.
>>
>>2306721

Here is something to think about. While we often thrust our own emotional imagination on them they do learn and exhibit positive responses to our presence. While love may not be what people think it is, they can show affection and if your time with them is pleasurable they will have good instinctual feelings/response toward you and the pleasure you give. You are my food, you are warm, I can trust you weird monster thing.

While I don't think they can love (at least in any human definition) they can "like" you and respond well to you even if they wouldn't care or understand if you died or they had a new home.

That's my take on it at least.

Learned behavior, stimulus association etc whatever. Reptile love is one sided but not unrewarding.

Sorry to interject into your Convo again.
>>
>>2306118
Oh favorite for a frog is the yellow spotted climbing toad. Seriously underrated frog.
>>
>>2306673

Always freeze eggs for several days before disposal.
>>
posting here because i just remembered you guys exist
a while ago ( somewhat early winter)
i got a call from a friend saying he had a salamander i needed to take care of

went over his place and he has a 7 or so inch spotted salamander
>found in a pool with water half frozen
>temps outside were below freezing
>ground was frozen solid
>8-10 inches of snow on the ground
and it wasnt doing so well, but he had already removed it and insisted i keep it ( for the winter at least)

brought it home and set it up in a small aquarium with dirt, a source of water and a bunch of moss , bark, and rock to chill under
i keep the environment moist , temps in my house range from 50s ( yes i know its a bit low for it probably) to mid 60's , but i do run a light during the day for some extra heat etc

what can i be doing better for it? it moves around a bunch but always under the cover and never comes out, or goes to the water source

also is there any way i can make sure he is eating? i occationally put food in the cage ( earthworm chunks, crickets, wax worms, and meal worms ) and they seem to dissapear but i never see him eat
i know theyre usually noctournal eaters but i still feel like i should be seing him

can post pictures if requested
his name is gerald by the way
>>
File: DSC_0387.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0387.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
The family dog attacked my iguana today, pretty sure it's fine but has a tiny wound, can I use hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol to clean it? Pic related

Inb4 take better care of iguana, dog is is usually fine but won't be seeing this guy anytime soon
>>
File: DSC_0387.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0387.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>2307160
Better pic
>>
>>2307160
>>2307163
Iodine would be safer and less painful. It looks okay, you could basically clean it by giving it a bath.

Never leave animals alone together if you dont want one to get eaten.
>>
>>2307169
Just finished cleaning cage after the wound, used peroxide and the spines fizzled up a bit, will be sure to apply some type of disinfectant every few hours to be safe
>>
>>2307004
Put him in a seperate enclosure with damp paper towels as substrate and feed him there.
If you see any droppings and the food is disappearing he's fine. You should feed him about 3 times a week, they have low metabolisms. It's not full grown yet, it'll be about 10 inches as an adult.

As for tempurature, dont let it get over 75. Anything from 60-75 is pretty good but it can go lower in winter so you're fine.
>>
>>2307191
Polysporin works well for reptiles and is safe.
>>
>>2307199
Did this tonight
2 different types of earthworms ( chunked ) and waxworks
Small container with damp paper towel
Let him sit in it for a while not sure if he ate much if anything desu

IL try again some other time
>>
>>2305848
Honestly fuck BPs. They're so boring and they just go 'lol fuck you I'm not eating for a year'
>>
>>2305694
>>2305699
I think they're cannibalistic as neonates? housing snakes together is just a terrible idea in general though
>>
>>2306414
>>2306213
If you're still not convinced, the other guy has it right. cant speak for other families of snakes you definitely don't house colubrids together. even if they are in the same hide it might be indicative that the other hides just shitty. I'd bet they have shit sheds and are stressed in general
>>
>>2306441
this literally is boggling my mind
how the fuck does a BRB even know what a chicken smells like?
>>
>>2307384
I imagine it's the same as that feel when you're in a market or restaurant or something and you smell something that seems like it would taste good without knowing what it is. Snek doesn't know what a chicken is but it knows it smells yummy.
>>
>>2307382
The only species of snake I feel comfortable keeping in cohab situation is garters.
>>
File: $_27.jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
$_27.jpg
59KB, 640x480px
Fuck now all of you have me second guessing this.....

Is it irrational to think snakes can form attachments? Like they've been living together for four years with no incidents allegedly... Or am I just anthropomorphizing them?

I've told the lady I'm interested in buying... The fact they're same gender and size makes me lean towards OK....

Would I be being irresponsible? Are there any non-antecdotal sources for cohabbing (particularly for corn snakes)?

>pic related the snakes in question
>the one hide and one water bowl does make me :/
>>
>>2307578
>Is it irrational to think snakes can form attachments? Like they've been living together for four years with no incidents allegedly... Or am I just anthropomorphizing them?
Yes. As already mentioned, them lying together is just one asserting dominance.

That tank also looks shit, I personally wouldn't even keep one adult corn in that.
>>
>>2307579

Really?? The tank is 60 gallon and 24x24x24 which I gather is on the larger side
>>
>>2307582
a lot of that is kinda wasted on the height. a long tank would be better

ventilation also isn't the best since it's an aquarium
>>
File: Larvae.jpg (88KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Larvae.jpg
88KB, 960x720px
Anyone else raise efts?
Also known as larvae of salamanders and newts.
>>
File: Salamander.jpg (71KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Salamander.jpg
71KB, 960x720px
>>2307587
I raised this cutie from a larvae.
I have him trained to eat while being held, so now anytime I approach the tank he reaches for me. I do get tiny little salamander bites occasionally.
>>
>>2307582
gallons aren't the end all
taking the length and width into consideration is more important
gallons are just convenient especially when assuming standard fish tank dimensions

like the other anon said 24 inches of height is wasted on a corn snake, that might be an ok tank if you got something like a smaller carpet python
>>
>>2307379
They're more likely to cannibalize as babies, but adults can still eat each other. Mainly if they're fed together in the same enclosure (which can result in a fight if one finishes before the other) or you put a male in with a particularly ravenous female.

>>2307384
Most snakes are opportunistic, anything that moves could instigate a feeding response.

>>2307439
Honestly still wouldn't. Quite a few species commonly cannibalize, and even the ones where its rare could still get in food disputes and cannibalize. A garter keeper I used to talk to had colonies of garter snakes, and one time one of his garters regurged and that resulted in some cannibalization in a fighter over the regurge. Kinda gross, but goes to show you things still happen.

(Also "garter snake" isn't a species, it's a group of snakes.)

>>2307578
Definitely anthropomorphizing, and as another anon said, that tank isn't suitable for just one of those corns let alone both. Length+Width should be equal to or greater than a single corn's length.

The absolute minimum for both would be Length+Width is equal to or greater than the length of both snakes. Assuming both are 4' that's a minimum of a 6'x2' or something of similar dimensions.

2' of height is perfectly acceptable for a corn. They're semi-arboreal and extremely adept climbers, any climbing you offer would not go to waste unless you simply didn't put anything in there.
>>
File: IMG_20170128_180616_662.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170128_180616_662.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
Finally this little bitch is eating again
>>
File: 20170123_180357-3024x2268.jpg (1MB, 3024x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170123_180357-3024x2268.jpg
1MB, 3024x2268px
>>2307704
She was in a separate tank for feeding because I had just cleaned her tank and I wanted to air it out a bit before I put her back in
>>
File: IMG_20170127_165253_597.jpg (496KB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170127_165253_597.jpg
496KB, 1440x1440px
>>2307706
>>
File: 20170125_211812-3024x2268.jpg (1MB, 3024x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170125_211812-3024x2268.jpg
1MB, 3024x2268px
>>2307707
Her current terrarium setup
>>
File: IMG_20170119_165453_959.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170119_165453_959.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
>>2307709
Last of this little noodle
>>
>>2307588
post deails , i want to do this
>>
Can snakes play fetch?
>>
>>2307752
Yes
>>
>>2307757
How?
>>
File: GIANT-SALAMANDER.jpg (84KB, 660x442px) Image search: [Google]
GIANT-SALAMANDER.jpg
84KB, 660x442px
Biggest amphibian is best amphibian.
>>
>>2307709

That looks huge?

Size? Cost?
>>
File: shrug-house.gif (326KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
shrug-house.gif
326KB, 500x282px
>>2307775

Once. Then they swallow the fetch item.
>>
>>2307777
>another animal that is endangered thanks to chinks thinking that eating it will make their tiny peepees hard
>>
>>2307821
40 gallon and everything minus the snake was probably $250-300
>>
>>2305478

Any recs for breeders in Gta (downtown)?

Specifically for corn snakes tho I guess any beginner friendly, relatively thin, and colorful snake would work

>>2307834
What size is the python?? It looks so small
>>
>>2307846
Erebus is only 23 inches long and weighs about 200 grams because she just ate
>>
>>2307846
>>2307857
My bad she's only 158 grams just weighed her
>>
I want a snake. I've had reptiles before, I keep some complicated aquariums with difficult/demanding livestock, I can follow detailed directions, and I'm not afraid to look for advice so I think I'll be able to manage the husbandry well. I'm aware of a well-respected exotics vet near my home.

I'm looking for something larger/more heavy bodied than a ball python but smaller than the larger varieties of red tail, something reasonably docile so I can handle it regularly and have it around people (outreach is very likely to be in this animal's future), and preferably something that is likely to accept frozen/thawed foods. I like the overall look of carpet pythons, but my understanding is that they're somewhat on the active side and probably aren't going to be great ambassadors. Dumeril's Boa also looks like a good option, but I've read that they get prone to striking as they mature.

Thoughts?
>>
>>2307864
You could get a male central american boa.
It, at most, will be about 6 feet long. That sounds like a lot but it's a pretty slender snake.

boas are one of the tamest snakes, and are by far the tamest in the size range you're looking for. As for care, they're excellent for beginner reptile keepers and are still rewarding to keep for people with experience.
Red tail boas are the huge ones, central americans are generally midsize and island localities are usually the really small ones. Every boa constrictor has a red or orange tail though so dont get spooked.
>>
>>2307866
How slender are we talking? I'm interested in something thats going to be pretty impressive. I've handled a red tail (Columbian, I think) that was around 7 feet and 20 pounds and I felt like that was at the upper limit of what I was looking for but still in the right neighborhood.
>>
>>2307868
try Hoggs Island or one other other localities of dwarf boa. They generally max out at about 6 feet in length and get some good girth

you could also try short tailed pythons, not super long but very full bodied snakes. lots of misconceptions that they're aggressive though
>>
>>2307895
Thanks!
>>
File: Resized_20170128_153251.jpg (304KB, 1080x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Resized_20170128_153251.jpg
304KB, 1080x1440px
1/2

Got this guy today for my wife and 11 year old. He is 5 years old and blind in one eye. His setup is a Exo Terra Small Tall. Full live with plants, isopods, etc.

He already settled in and decided he wanted to explore. Dapper Dan is used to being handled and his owner mentioned he loves to spend time out. I have to limit my wife and kiddo but he seems better than many other reptiles I have adopted or rehomed.
>>
File: IMG_20170129_153036.jpg (896KB, 2291x3690px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170129_153036.jpg
896KB, 2291x3690px
>>2307951

Pic 2/2

The eye you can see is his blind eye. But he does just fine and isn't spooked easily because of his vision issues.
>>
File: IMG_20170129_153447033.jpg (3MB, 5344x3006px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170129_153447033.jpg
3MB, 5344x3006px
Last post.

I forgot I got this girl for me today from a rehome situation.

She will get 2 weeks before she gets handled any.
>>
File: 20170129_173136.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170129_173136.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I know the obvious thing is take him to the vet but unfortunately it's Sunday and all vets are closed today as soon as they open though I will take him in to get checked.
Until then I'm really worried he won't make it till the morning.
He was fine all day and then a few hours ago he got a lump on his back he wasn't moving very much and his breathing is pretty hard.
After looking around I think it might be impaction but I'm not really sure how to help him.
Is there anything I can do to keep him alive or help him out until tomorrow morning when I can take him to the vet?
Sorry the picture is sideways.
>>
>>2307578
you have shit set up
>>
>>2307951
bretty nice, what's your heating source?
>>
>>2307709
is that the tiniest BP ive ever seen or is a fucking massive tank holy shit
>>
>>2307996

Feed him a little bit of applesauce with a drop of olive oil.

Bathe him and see if you can feel a lump on thr lower left of his tummy.

His spine can get pressed up which can kill or paralyze him.
>>
>>2306887
Why, who cares
>>
>>2307004
Go put it back, it was just fine
>>
>>2308004
Will any kind of applesauce work?
Does it seem like he will last till tomorrow morning?
>>
>>2308000

I have the 4 lights inside of his tank. 3 tropical and one for the plants specifically. Waiting for the original owner to get back to me on which specific bulbs so I can double check and make sure it's all good.

>>2308009

I'd say anything more natural is best. You need probably a kids medicine syringe and only a little bit. He shouldn't need a ton. Hope he makes it.
>>
File: DSC_0402.jpg (2MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0402.jpg
2MB, 4160x3120px
Is my Leopard gecko a boy or a girl
>>
Are poison dart frogs easy to keep? I've read that the humidity is easily attainable by just sealing off their enclosure

O would a newt or salamander be a better starting amphibian? I've never owned an amphibian before
>>
File: LGsexing.jpg (25KB, 500x218px) Image search: [Google]
LGsexing.jpg
25KB, 500x218px
>>2308030

I'd say a female. I don't see any pores or real bulge in this image angle.
>>
>>2308015
I fed him a bit of the applesauce will there be any real improvement throughout the night? Or will this just keep him alive?
>>
>>2308040

If you haven't give him a lukewarm bath. Honestly if it's impaction and he poops great if not I cannot say. If he hasn't shit in a long time I'd say impaction for sure. He could still have nerve damage after he passes it but I cannot say. Even if he does poop take him to the vet tomorrow.

Also post his diet. And what substrates you use if anything besides paper towel.

Worst comes to worse and he does sadly pass at least we can try to see why and give you the info you need if anything is wrong with the care.
>>
>>2308043
The only substrate I use are the paper towels.
And we were feeding him a gourmet blend of dried food but he didn't seem to like it much so we switched him back to crickets about 2 weeks ago.
>>
File: 20170129_193027.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170129_193027.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>2308054
This is the dried food we gave him we would soak it with warm water before giving it to him
>>
>>2308054

I personally avoid Crickets due to them being carriers for many parasites (there are reliable sources but I don't take chances).

Dubia and BSFL (Phoenix/Calci-Worms) are the main diet. I personally prefer live feeders. Butter worms are good too but they are costly due to only being brought in by import.

Things like wax worms and hornworms are good for treats (hornworms can be used for hydration too).

80/20 insects to veggies then flops about a year old.

I mist mine lightly daily and a bath every week to two weeks.

If he is out of his cage and runs around especially on the floor he could have eaten something small too but that's a vet thing.

Just dumping some info just in case any of it is useful.

Also the food items should only be as big as the space between their eyes.
>>
>>2308059
No thank you I really appreciate the advice. We were going to feed worms but we were told most worms were to big for him at the moment so we stuck with the crickets.
Is there any website you would recommend so I could learn more about caring for them I don't want to have this happen again.

Besides impaction could it be something else?
He's still trying to move around a bit so I hope he's going to be okay
>>
>>2308063

https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/

It can be slow but there are many (and more than me) experienced users there and lots of back posts with information.

As long as he hasn't been twitching it shouldn't be (spasms) do remember to use calcium/D3 reptile vitamins to dust your bugs and veggies.

Beardies from my experience prefer dubia roaches and the are better for them. Try a dozen smalls for your guy he should be happy to gobble them.

Red runner roaches are good too (Turkish roaches).

Almost all roaches are good but the forums have good lists of food.
>>
>>2308003
It's a 40 gallon kek
>>
>>2308077

What kinda snake is Eramus?

I didn't know ball pythons could be so small
>>
>>2308007
Because it's really fucking cruel to toss out a fertilized egg without making sure the embryo is dead first.
>>
>>2308033
They're fragile and not very resistant to variation in humidity and temperature. Recommend white's or green tree frog (not red eyed), fire belly toads, etc. Those are much hardier.
>>
>>2308033
Dart frogs aren't hard when you set them up for success. Doing so though isn't super easy for a beginner but if you do the research and are willing to spend the time and money it's not so bad.
Mind you poison dart frogs are not for handling at all but make great display animals.
>>
>>2307868
A 7' 20 lb boa is obese. I have a breeder female boa and she's somewhere 7'-7.5' (closer to 7' than 7.5' I'd guess) and she's 13.5 lbs at her heaviest. She was 9 lbs when she was bred in 2015. I've reduced her feeding from 2 xl/jumbo rats anywhere from every 2 weeks to every 1-2 months, to a single regular large rat once a month, so hopefully she'll slim out a bit before fall or I may wait another year. I've also got xx-small rabbits coming in soon, once they're big enough.

>>2302587 is the female. She has overall good body tone, and a nice tapered tail, but she does have some scale separation going on. Being a year older than when she was bred, she'll most likely have a slightly heavier healthy weight than when she was first bred, so 10-11 lbs might be good.

>>2307895
False. Hog Islands average 5'-6' with the potential to reach 8'. Yes, even pure. I've been told some of the original wild caught stock was 8', I think owned by Gus Rentfro? Hog Islands only stay small if you underfeed them, even heavily feeding a true dwarf you'd be hard-pressed to get them over 6' (and at the cost of the snake's longevity). I'm sure it's possible to get a little above that, but good luck getting them to 7'-8'.
>>
File: froge.jpg (504KB, 844x900px) Image search: [Google]
froge.jpg
504KB, 844x900px
>>
Do leopard geckos stink
How do you minimize smell
>>
>>2308486

Anything's shit will smell somewhat.

I say no. Just clean their poop sooner vs later and try to clean their cages every 1 to 2 weeks (wipedowns, missed decals, shed, dead bugs, ect.)
>>
>>2308087
She's a ball python its just the fact that she was curled up + 5 months old + huge thank makes her look tiny
>>
Anyone know how/got any tips to administer oral medication to a turtle? Got some from a vet to treat for parasites and the fucker won't cooperate
>>
>>2307864
try a rainbow boa. IMHO the most beautiful snakes Ive ever seen. Ive got a little one and when I show my collection to guests coming over they are always most impressed with the rainbow.
>>
>>2308486

No, they're odorless. The poo only smells for about 30 minutes until it dries. Obviously it will eventually get gross if you slack off on the regular cleanings.

>>2308554
Liquid or pill? If it's a pill you can try wrapping it in veg the turtle likes.
>>
>>2308635
Liquid
>>
>>2308637

Will turtle eat his food if you mist the meds on it first?
>>
File: 1wnNm1L.jpg (440KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
1wnNm1L.jpg
440KB, 1632x1224px
How does /an/ like my kingsnake? The guy I got him from said it's a special morph.
>>
>>2308679
Sorry m8, but that's a corn snake.
>>
>>2308679
and this class, is what we call natural selection
>>
>>2308652
Not really, the turtle is more or less refusing to eat, forcing me to give the medicine orally via syringe
>>
>>2302469
>>2302471
>>2302473
>>2302474
The weak should fear the strong
>>
>>2308679

BOOP SNOOT
>>
File: IMG_20170131_200719.jpg (241KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170131_200719.jpg
241KB, 1080x1080px
Ok /herp/ which Vionate is the real Vionate and which is the imposter and why is there such ridiculous price difference between them? I'm so lost
>>
>>2309007
What kind of herp do you have? If we're just talking about a gecko or something, save yourself the trouble of all that diy mixing and get a bottle of Repashy Calcium Plus. It'll be about $15 and last a year. The osteo-form/vionate mix is really only economical if you keep large numbers of animals.
>>
>>2309067
If Repashy isn't sold in your area there is also Herptivite and whatever the multivitamin powder Zoo Med makes is called. Those are fine too.
>>
>>2309067
I've been using repashy but I want to switch to vionate because I figure if I'm going to buy supplements I might as well choose one that all of my animals can benefit from (I have leopard geckos, dogs, and cats)
>>
>>2308562
He said he wanted to handle it regularly though.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Spot the snaek

Answer in pic 2
>>
>>2309102
Snake was taking the photo, duh. Check the reflection on the tank.
>>
>>2309102

Is snek in the hide on the left?

Also, I'm going to be picking up my first snake (a corn snake) soon - what should I look out for?

I know about mouth rot and snake mites. Ive also heard that the most inquisitive snakes are the best/healthiest.

Any other tips?
>>
File: 1485927757504.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1485927757504.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2309102
are either of these it? You posted this about a week ago iirc and I dont know if its same picture.
blount extra
>>
What geckos or lizards could I keep in a smaller tank? I've heard African fat tails can be kept in a 10 gallon but it seems a bit small. I've got a bit of spare room I want to put a tank in but it's not loads honestly
>>
File: ocelot-gecko.jpg (329KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
ocelot-gecko.jpg
329KB, 750x500px
>>2309464

10g is too small for an adult AFT. You want a 20g long for those.

A single pictus gecko would be fine in a 10g though. They max out at about 5" nose to end of tail.
>>
File: Larvae.jpg (91KB, 800x474px) Image search: [Google]
Larvae.jpg
91KB, 800x474px
>>2307736
So, I started off with an eft that I caught, they are generally found in very slow moving streams, more often ponds, mostly in the late summer. They are around yearly, but the young hatch in summer, so there are tons of babies. Catching babies is more ethical IMO because the survival rate is pretty low when freshly hatched, so by capturing one you are basically saving it.

After catching, toss it in a fine gravel tank, give it a few logs that go out of the water, and preferably some floating plants for nitrate control. You shouldn't need a filter as long as you have a few gallons.

The feeding of the young is a hassle. They generally eat anything they can fit in their mouths, so depending on the size of the one you catch (or hatch), it could be eating anything from brine shrimp, to bloodworms, to earthworms. It does have to be alive. With some luck you could get it on frozen bloodworms, but you would have to be pretty lucky. Feed until full every other day, or small meals every single day if you want it to become friendly (like mine)

Eventually it starts taking bubbles of air down to the bottom, releasing, and floating up for more. This means it will try going on land soon. If you hadn't already, put logs or rocks or a gravel bank in that are easy to climb up on out of the water.

It will probably stop eating for a little bit in the transition. I think it is normal.
Once fully terrestrial, start feeding it appropriately sized worms, supplementing with crickets or feeder fish every now and then. No all-fish diets. Move it into a fully land tank, with a small dish of water. Give it some places to hide. There are some species that never really leave the water, others that burrow underground, so be sure to ID whichever one you end up with and accommodate.
>>
File: this what archives are for.png (92KB, 630x278px) Image search: [Google]
this what archives are for.png
92KB, 630x278px
>>2309457
>and I dont know if its same picture.

This is why you use 4chanX, so you can search the image's MD5 hash quickly.
>>
>>2309702
few questions
ive come across these efts before , less than an inch long and very small overall as you said in slow moving streams etc

is this what you re talking about? or do you wait until theyre larger ( never seen them much larger than an inch at very biggest)

ive been wanting to get more into raising salamanders since i got stuck with a yellow spotted salamander over the winter ( although im hoping to release him this spring )

id like to get y hands on one ( or some) of each of the native salamander species
luckily i already know two places i might be able to find red spotted newt efts ( that are prettyhard to find here )
>>
I'm thinking about getting a Snek in a few months. I'm pretty set on a Dumeril's boa and have handled a few recently to get a feel for them.

I'm not new to reptiles, but I am complete it new to snakes. I've had a Green Iguana for the past 13 years and 2 female crested Geckos for 8 years so I like to think that I'm passionate about my care.

So does anyone have any tips for this boa that I won't really find online or other such pointers? I'd really like to get a baby/but not a hatchling (I'm not sure what to call it). However it seems like everyone online keeps their younger Boas in a crappy looking "Tupperware" tub and not a real nice looking enclosure. I understand that I'll need your typical 4x2x2 nice plastic cage when it's full grown but what should I do about a juve? I really don't mind spending the money on a decent enclosure even with the knowledge that it'll need an expensive upgrade.

Thanks in advance Snake owners.
>>
>>2309804
They keep them in those things because that boa is gonna outgrow it really fast.
Its pretty much just to make sure its eating, defacating and shedding right before putting it in a good enclosure

Just start it in the big enclosure and put in smaller hides.
>>
>>2309804

The tub method isn't bad if you have it setup (heat pad, bedding, water bowl, hide). A lot of people do it even for adults. They say it's less stressful since colored or semi-clear containers make it so the Snake doesn't see as many stimulating sights constantly.

Breeder racks are even smaller containers usually. If yours is a pet only and you want to get them a nice glass setup or something (a decent cheap glass will work for a few years then you can go full size).

I use glass setups for my snakes that are pets. Though I also regularly handle them every few days (besides shed) so they get used to being handled.

You can go fancy setup in the end if you want but snakes are actually pretty destructive to their decorations if you use them. Just make sure if you use sticks/branches to anchor them well. And easy change bedding is good because they can pee quite a bit when they do (especially as adults).

All depends on you. Until you get to your final setup don't go crazy. Simple works fine honestly, but you can do a full live setup it just changes things like heating.
>>
>>2309831
Boas don't stress easily at all so thats not really applicable
They don't give a shit about anything
>>
>>2309829
>>2309831
Very interesting, thank you guys.

I think I'll go big right away and keep a large layer of substrate for burrowing, some greenery and many hides. Unless either of you two think that it's not a good idea. Otherwise I might just go with a smaller breeder tank until it's bigger.

Any tips for heating? The room it'd be in averages 70° right now(winter in Chicago) and about 74-78° in the summer. I heard that for snakes most people go with some type of heating tape or under the tank heater system? My Iggy has his own room that's always hot lol so he gets his own heating system/thermometer.

I really want to think things through, thanks again
>>
>>2309791
Yep, that's the right age. I try and grab them before they get their back legs (they get front legs very early, then back), but it is hard to find them like that. To catch, either find them resting in the open, or run a net through weeds by the shoreline. They like to hide in vegetation, especially the young ones.
To make sure it is an eft, just check that it has the frilly gills behind its head. There is something called a neotenic adult, which is where the adult amphibian never leaves the water, never dropping gills. You should be able to tell it isn't a neotenic adult because of the size. Neotenic populations are rare anyways so you wouldn't want to disturb them.

I have loved raising efts, mainly because of the changes in pattern and shape they go through. I have one rough-skinned newt, and one northwestern salamander, both raised from eft stage. It is also a way to get good ideas of where different local species lay their eggs. Pond, river, or lake, you can get different species in each. If you see adults around an area at any part of the year, in mass, it means it is some sort of breeding ground and you can expect to find that type of larvae.
>>
>>2309988
so you think bloodworms would be best for food? or brine shrimp ? maybe a mix?
can you buy bloodworm eggs?
also is it just larger salamanders that go through the eft stage or are all of them go through this,
i know redbacks dont go through the stage and are just born as eggs
>>
>>2309988
>>2310002
also is there any way to tell what kind of salamamder they will be early on or is it all just up to chance?
>>
File: IMG_8509.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8509.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I'm in the market for a frog and have never owned one before. I went around to a lot of reptile/pet shops and made a list of all locally available species and prices. Which of these would you recommend for a beginner?

I was considering getting a chubby frog to start and adding another to the tank later if I do well with it. I'm working with a good 53 gallon aquarium, with 12"x48" floorspace and 21" vertical room for climbing sticks and plants.

Other notes:
>I'd generally prefer a larger frog
>ignore the Pac Man listings, I've already ruled them out
>Pet Kingdom USA has a nice selection but their animals are infamous for poor health (as I confirmed today when I reached into their rat petting enclosure and touched one that had just died)
>LLL is well reviewed but is the farthest from my house (about 40 minutes out instead of 10-20)
>I'm not overly concerned with price
>I'm (hopefully) planning a big move in a year or two, so there's a strong chance I'll have to return it/adopt it out if I can't work out proper transport for the haul
>is that generally considered okay or should I set my sights on shorter lived creatures? I'd really like to get some sort of cute herp but understand the situation may not be currently ideal

Thoughts?
>>
File: IMG_8457.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8457.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>2310009
And a shot of my listed (tragically expensive) favorite.
>>
>>2302245
I don't know anything about mouth sores!
>>
>>2309831
A clear tote is just as see-through as a tank is, so it adds no security.

>>2309804
Tubs are actually great juvenile enclosures. Depending on the species, I feel they're not suitable for adults. I might keep an adult Kenyan sand boa or hognose in one, but a Dumeril's gets too big. The Christmas tree totes do have a decent floor space, but they aren't very wide or tall, so imo they're not suitable for a full grown snake that is going to be over 5'.

Tubs are cheap, a smaller tub like a 100-120 qt tub can be set up for around $50 give or take with a Hydrofarm/Jumpstart thermostat and some heat tape. If Dums grow anything like my boa constrictors do, it should last a good 2-3 years before they outgrow it, then you can plop it straight into a 4'x2'x2'.

They might not look pretty, but it makes maintaining heat and humidity a breeze, and gives you a few years to save up for a full-sized viv.

Tanks unfortunately aren't a good enclosure option as they take more effort to keep humidity and heat in vs a PVC enclosure or tub. Even if you have no problems using a tank, trust me, a PVC/tub will make life a lot easier. And, a nice 2' tall PVC enclosure will give you plenty of door space to display your animals if that's what you wish. Getting some recessed LED lights will also help with the aesthetics, although I wouldn't lave them on all day or it could stress them out.

>>2309928
Heat panels are the best options imo, gives you ambients and belly heat, and they should last at least a decade or two.
>>
File: IMG_20170203_044712.jpg (111KB, 960x903px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170203_044712.jpg
111KB, 960x903px
>>2308030
A male? Im having autism maybe
>>
>>2310064

Sorry I meant the milky white clouded type of "clear"

>>2310013
What is tragically expensive? My BP range from 20-350 and it can go up from there depending.

The pacman samurai blue I want is about 350 I believe. I often reccomend then as good frog pets. My old one died so I am looking for a new boy.
>>
>>2308030
>>2310065
Gril
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2309229
>>2309102
>>2309453
>>2309457
Oups sorry guys for the wait! ;)

Here's the answer
>>
>>2310074
Just very expensive in comparison to most of the list. It's only about $75 where chubbies are $10 and pixies are $40.

I think I'd ultimately prefer a couple cohabitant frogs, which you can't do with a bullfrog, but I love their looks.
>>
>>2310115

Cohab ay?

Here are a few.

>Barking Tree Frog
>Red eyed tree frog
>White lipped tree frog

You can do what a few friends of mine do. You can basically put them into a single bigger enclosure and divide it in the middle.

In general tree frogs can be kept together and toads you generally don't want them to be unless you do male female of the same size and even then one tends to hog all the food even if they don't turn aggressive.
>>
>>2310002
>>2310006
Bloodworms are the best, but you will have to buy them. I have never had luck growing them, and they do not sell eggs. Eventually though it will need something bigger than brine shrimp, and I find bloodworms to be the easiest. Scud might work.

I believe there are only a few species that hatch fully grown, the majority go through this stage regardless of size.
It is possible to ID them before they mature. With luck you could find a larval amphibian ID guide for your state, but other than that try and guess based on the adults in the area.
>>
>>2310065

Female. They sometimes vestigial pores like that. Sort of shallow divots where the male's actual pores would be. Leo males have slight discoloration on their pores which makes sexing fairly trivial when they're adults.
>>
File: 20170127_224023.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170127_224023.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
I have feeding vid of my turtle
https://youtu.be/JlGfR__XBYs
>>
Hey folks. So i just got a 10 inch savannah monitor(juvenille) and he came in a 20 long tank. Obviously im planning to upgrade but id like to build my own tank so i had two questions.

One, do monitors tens to be similar to snakes in that they prefer to feel more closed in to reduce stress levels(IE should i make all sides but the sliding door front out of a solid material)?

Two, do they tend to enjoy climbing things, as in should i keep some space to add branches and decorations to climb on etc?

Thanks for the help in advance folks.
>>
>>2310200
>buying a monitor without knowing your shit
you'll give it away before it reaches adulthood anyway
>>
>>2310202
This
>>
>>2310202
>providing worthless responses to valid questions
>>
>>2310200
You better feed that fucker an all isect diet with whole prey/a quails egg only occasionally. Unless you want it to die within a year or two.

Just give him at least 2 feet of substrate(dirt sand mix) and a few humid hides. They'll burrow a fuck ton if you allow it(you should) and thus won't give a shit about an enclosed space.
>>
>>2310064
>>2310074
Very nice. I guess I'm gonna go with a decent tub set-up first just to feel my snake out and get some experience with it's husbandry needs before I put it in the 4x2x2.

You guys think some heat tape regulated with a thermostat/herpostat would be enough to keep the tanks ambient temp up throughout the day(temp of room is 70 rn)? Or should I also rig an RHB on the hot side just to be safe? I imagine the heat tape will be fine for the tub and i might need to add thr RHB once it goes in the fancy pvc.
Thanks again you guys are being very helpful
>>
>>2310126
trying to figure out other things i can raise to feed these little guys , how active are they in eating, will they be able to catch mosquito larvae etc, how difficult is it to get them to eat?
>>
File: download (5).jpg (14KB, 251x200px) Image search: [Google]
download (5).jpg
14KB, 251x200px
>>2310256

Heat tape w/ thermo should be just fine. The plastic will let heat pass easily. Just make sure of course to have it on one side so he has a cooler area if he wants.

I'm a bit far out on reptiles (many lined up) but my next snake I want will be a Brazilian Rainbow Boa, love those iridescent colors.
>>
>>2310375
That's great to know about the heat tape.

When I was looking at snakes to research, the BRB was in my final two along with the Dumeril's. That'll probably be my next snake in a few years assuming this one goes smoothly. Very nice looking but in the end I heard slightly more positive things about handling with the Duemril's. +I like the look of a "fatter" snake lol
>>
>>2310381

Rainbows I have seen and handled have tended to be pretty fiesty but mellow out as adults.

I haven't gotten to see or handle a Dumerils yet myself. Keep us updated.
>>
>>2310392
i have a male and female adult dumerils. they are very mellow and dont tend to mind being handled at all outside normal snake nonos like shedding and after eating. mine even sits on my shoulder while i clean out their tank . females a fatty though so i usually just let her roam.
>>
>>2310224
oh im planning to. his current tank is a depressing joke. holiday buyers remorse i suspect
>>
>>2310368
They are pretty bad hunters, but good eaters. If you have a barebottom tank with bloodworms wriggling on the bottom, they will go for them, but they will not chase things around. You either need barebottom with writhing worms, or you need to directly feed with a pipette or tweezers. They would probably not get mosquito larvae unless you used tweezers.

Using tweezers or a pipette though, they will eat anything alive and moving with gusto, until full. I usually do that every two days.
>>
>>2310392
>>2310438
Well I'll be going to a reptile expo tomorrow morning so i'll keep you updated. Talk to some breeders, can some face to face advice, look at enclosures, etc.

How big/how old are your boas? Any comments or tips for me from someone who is currently keeping them?
>>
>>2310466
male is 3ft female is 5.
no specific tips. my boas like aspen actually. they enjoy burrowing even with hides so plan for both with at least 3-4 inches of substrate.
>>
>>2310481
I was about to be upset with you until I realized youre not rainbow boa guy
>>
>>2310481
That's awesome. What are their ages? Probably best for me a to get a neonate that's fed a couple times successfully right?
>>
File: formalin.jpg (316KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
formalin.jpg
316KB, 1200x1600px
>>2310013
>>2310115
Bulls get shit on for being hard to maintain, but mine lived for ten years. He somehow got a corneal ulcer that eventually killed him and meant I had to hand-feed him, but up until old age he was very happy. Pic related, I couldn't part with him.
>>
>>2310512
yes if you're getting one young always make sure its taken food at least 3 times in a row
>>
>>2310523
nice, I'm pretty partial to bones myself
when my ball and beardie kick the bucket I'll probably try to salvage their bones and get them mounted or something
>>
>>2310606
Anything really to look for when going to buy one from a group of them? Like should you pick the liveliest, most calm, etc?
>>
leopard gecko died of old age and now I'm stuck with an empty 50cm width and 40cm tall glass terrarium, what could i put in there?
I'm looking for some non-obvious answers
>>
>>2310523

I give my pets a proper burial. I don't keep them around as a weird fascination.
>>
>>2310683
>Normie McNormface acting like he is the one who decides what's weird
>>
bought my first BP with codom spider, her head wobbles on rare occasions and it breaks my heart. She's really good and very nice (has never struck at me).

>don't handle your herp for a week and before feeding it

hahahahahahah ur gay
next you're gonna tell me to feed it outside of it's habitat bcus of muh feeding response
>>
@2310727
weak bait
>>
>>2310670
leaf gecko
>>
>>2310728
how is that bait? OP is implying reptiles are dumb.
>>
File: IMG_9841.jpg (968KB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9841.jpg
968KB, 4032x3024px
Does it mean anything if my uromastyx leaves his mouth sort of agape sometimes?
>>
>>2310769
Could be a mouth infection. I'd get it checked honestly
>>
>>2310769

He is regulating his temperature. Unless he does it 24/7 that would mean a breathing issue.
>>
>>2310650
I would assume a more active snake is healthier
but i guess more importantly would be look for signs of dehydration, cloudy eyes, listen for wheezing or heavy breathing, make sure their body definition is good
>>
>Order pastel ball hatchling
>Arrives with overnight shipping
>Open bag
>Skinny looking, almost malnourished, cute though
>Slight head wobble from genetic fuckery
>Put in cage
>Otherwise fine
>Doesn't eat for the first 2 weeks
>Most likely stress from the shipping
>Finally eats
>Feed on a weekly basis
>She actually eats suprisingly well despite balls being very picky, she will only eat live mice
>Fattens up nicely
>Head wobble is slowly going away
>Notice she never sheds
>Eats 2 pinkies
>Then 3
>Eventually up to 4 almost ready for fuzzies
>5 months later
>She still has not shed even once
>Find this very odd but she is actually growing so whatever
>Look in cage one day
>Snake is dead
>Still limp, mouth was open and still moist, no smell of death
>Wasn't dead for long when I found her
What the fuck happened?
>>
>>2310670

>Binoei Gecko
>Mourning Gecko
>Agama Agama
>>
NEW THREAD ALSO CHECKEM

>>2310877

>>2310877

>>2310877

>>2310877

>>2310877
>>
>>2310847

Something sounds like it was wrong from the start. Perhaps organ failure. I really have no clue though.
>>
>>2310670
Sorry for your loss. How old was he/she?
>>
>>2310256
Heat tape will not raise your ambients. At a room temp of 70F, I'd either get a space heater and heat the room to 80-85F or just go ahead with a PVC (with an RHP) like you originally planned.

If the room was warm enough, heat tape by itself would be enough, but the room is too cold to use heat tape only.

>>2310392
Half of mine have been feisty at the beginning, the other two have always been docile.

>>2310727
Except that is a widely and commonly advised rule. Snakes fed too early after arriving can regurgitate from stress, and you can make any feeding problems worse. Give your snake 1-2 weeks without handling or food and let it eat 1-3 meals in succession before handling.

You want to ensure the highest chance possible to get your snake to eat for you early on, and piling on stress (handling, shipping, new enclosure, new environment, etc.) can make a snake otherwise willing to eat for you refuse to eat for months. Individual snakes handle stress differently.
>>
File: 20170122_150844.jpg (3MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
20170122_150844.jpg
3MB, 4128x3096px
Just some snake head.
>>
>>2309702
good lord it's like reading instructions for taking care of an alien. what incredible creatures.
>>
>>2308679 Wtf Yeah love the King Snake...hey nice rattle
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 76

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.