[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

redpill me on Megalodon. Also, shark appreciation general.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 18

File: MegalodonImage.jpg (92KB, 1400x700px) Image search: [Google]
MegalodonImage.jpg
92KB, 1400x700px
redpill me on Megalodon. Also, shark appreciation general.
>>
Sharks are fucking scary
>>
>>2272436
Its entire existence is based on massive fossil teeth remains, because they were common shed teeth made of bone covered in enamel.

Its teeth were thicker than most sharks and seem to be capable of biting through whale bones; like a giant red of the sea.

We actually do not even know what it actually look like, because all it left behind was its teeth. We just assume it probably looked at least somewhat like a giant great-white or even bullshark.
Outside these things that I had mentioned, there really are no 'facts' about this creature.
>>
>>2272436
Megalodon was the inspiration behind Peter Benchley's "Jaws".
Megalodon was also the inspiration behind a bunch of bullshit documentaries on shark week too.
It is a creature that fairy tales are made from.
>>
>>2272535
>Megalodon was the inspiration behind Peter Benchley's "Jaws".
No. Jaws was inspired by actual shark attacks that happened in 1916, which was repeatedly mentioned in the movie.

At the time of the book/movie, no one really knew much of anything about sharks, so Benchley wrote what he thought the creatures did. However, the movie inspired more people into oceanography and there is still a boom in the the subject due to the movie.

After learning later on what sharks were really like, he said he regretted writing Jaws and that he could never write it as the antagonist again.

>>2272478
You're more likely to die of a lightening strike or a doge bite than a shark attack. Sharks aren't all that scary when you realize they don't like eating humans. We're too boney for them. 95% of all shark attacks ever recorded are sharks taking "test bites", realizing what we are, then letting go and swimming away uninterested.
>>
We like to think of Great White Sharks as apex predators with no predators that will pray on them, but this has been proven false in the past few years. It's been shown that orcas, or Killer Whales will prey on all species of sharks including the Great White. They take advantage of a shark defense mechanism called Tonic immobility. When turned upside down, sharks are put into a trance like state and completely immobile. Scientists still don't know why Tonic immobility happens in sharks. Orcas will flip sharks upside down with their mouth (like with stingrays) or by jumping out of the water onto the shark to flip them upside down (videos have shown them doing this to Great Whites). Once the shark is immobile, the orcas will go to town feasting on it.
>>
>>2272662
Orcas are pretty based. They never get the credit they deserve.
>>
>>2272668
Orcas are dicks, even other orcas. I'll never understand why people like them. I'll take sharks over orcas any day.
>>
>scientist
it was an ancient shark which is dead now

>creationist
it is a hoax that somebody made 50,000 fake fossils of and then buried them miles beneath the surface all around the world

>/an/
sharks were invented by movies
>>
>>2272682
>>/an/
>sharks were invented by movies
wut?
>>
>>2272682
>sharks were invented by movies
wat
>>
>>2272682
Creationists would say megalodon died in the great flood along with literally every prehistoric extinct animal.
>>
>>2272855
>megalodon died in the great flood
literally wat.
How does an aquatic animal die during a flood?
>>
>>2272857
change in salinity?
>>
>>2272857
Yeah, prominent creationist say that extinct marine life "drowned" in the great flood.

All that water falling in that short of a span would be just as devastating to the ecosystem as any other cataclysm. The seas would get extremely hot, desalinated, and lacking oxygen. I guess it's true in a way, the global flood would kill fish, but it would have killed EVERYTHING on the surface of the earth.

But really the thing that I find the most laughable about the creation model is the idea that every megafauna that ever existed, existed at the same time pre-flood. I can't wrap my head around what that would be like.
>>
>>2272866
it would be fucking awesome is what.
>>
>>2272535
Actually, as mentioned above the story was inspired by a series of attacks on the Atlantic coast in the early 1900s, which were more than likely perpetrated by bull sharks. The great white was selected, if I had to guess since I can't recall reading otherwise from Benchley, due to its large size and fearsome appearance.

>>2272587
>Sharks aren't all that scary

I dunno man, they are pretty much apex predators and humans should be wary of getting into the water with them or engaging in behavior likely to attract them

>>2272587
>test bites

A little nibble from a 6+ foot shark is likely to be life-threatening to a person, especially a child. I'm not disagreeing with your stats, but these animals deserve our respect and admiration, but most of all our caution.

>>2272857
Yeah, fish can be extremely sensitive to environmental changes. One of the most immediate challenges with climate change is the acidification of the ocean, which makes it difficult for marine animals to form shells and other bony structures.

>>2272662
>>2272674

Can't really fault cetaceans for being smart about engaging dangerous prey
>>
>>2272873
>which makes it difficult for marine animals to form shells and other bony structures.
sharks have skeletons made of cartilage....
>>
>>2272857
To be fair, it would have.
But so would pretty much all other aquatic life. An ark would have to have been able to hold all aquatic animals too. Have fun rounding up two of every whale and abyssal sea creature.

>>2272874
Would still mess up sharks, but even without that the salinity changes would be lethal.
>>
>>2272874
I'm aware of that, it was intended to be an example of how changing the water affects the environment. Mollusks, most other fish, coral and some types of algae are affected. Honestly I wonder about the impact on shark teeth though.
>>
File: xcusemechief.jpg (37KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
xcusemechief.jpg
37KB, 480x480px
>>2272535
>>2272587
Jaws was inspired by Frank Mundus and the documentary Blue Water, White Death. The 1916 attacks never come up in the book; it is unclear if Benchley was even aware of them at the time.

A brief science lesson about the Megalodon is there as a rather forced Crichton-esque post-action filler scene, nothing more.
>>
>>2272478
This, I don't even like being alone in an indoor swimming pool and all I can see is blue ahead of me, and I imagine a shark comming strait at me.

Granted this is illogical feat as a chemical treated pool should kill them.
>>
>>2272529
Wouldn't it be cool if Megalodon just had a round head and mouth looking kind of derpy?

Or freaky, what if it had a human looking head?
>>
>>2272587
>What is the USS indianapolis
>>
>>2274244
>This, I don't even like being alone in an indoor swimming pool and all I can see is blue ahead of me, and I imagine a shark comming strait at me.
Same, i get the urge to get out of the water the whole time i'm in and doing stuff like closing my eyes or swiming on my back becomes very uncomfortable.
>>
>>2274244
>>2274305
Instead of just saying it's too scary why don't you face and overcome your fears. It wouldn't be that difficult considering SHARKS DONT SWIM IN FUCKING POOLS!
>>
>>2272587
>You're more likely to die of a lightening strike or a doge bite than a shark attack.
>Sharks aren't all that scary
t. shark
>>
>>2274432
a 'phobia' is an irrational fear, and its an odd phenomenon where, against their will, certain humans go full pussy when they so much as think of a given feared thing.
>>
>>2274672
A phobia requires diagnosis from an expert as well.
Both examples I quoted sound more like an excuse to be a special snowflake, or just too fucking lazy to overcome a simple fear.
If it's an actual phobia then I stand corrected, but you would think that either anon would have stated that.
>>
>>2274432
>>2274677
>implying you can combat fear with logic
>implying me or the other anon said it was too scary
If you need an excuse to be a cunt there are boards that offer you much more fuel.
>>
>>2274696
Whatever special snowflake, I'm not the one afraid of the scary water.
>>
Tfw there might be some megalodons roaming the ocean right now. Feels good man.
>>
>>2274696
Wtf. Where do you think you are? Oh yeah. It's 4chan. This isn't a designated safe space you whiny fuckbag.
>>
I've had an interest with megalodon for years.

>couple years back discovery was airinga "documentary" on the megalodon
>watched it all the way through giddy as a fucking girlie from all the evidence displayed and witness reports
>google it, hungry for more on this evidence
>it was all a lie, they briefly flashed "events in this documentary were dramatized" which is legalese for "this is all bullshit without making it obvious"
>dreamy head scientist was an actor, everyone were actors
>all the grainy film evidence was faked, the ww2 photos were faked.

I can't ever read about the megalodon without getting upset about what happened.

>>2274944
They're fucking dead m8.
>>
File: 1474884290756.jpg (51KB, 567x602px) Image search: [Google]
1474884290756.jpg
51KB, 567x602px
>>2272662
>>2272668
>>2272674
They still can't take a full grown great white, plus sharks eat baby whales too.
>>
>>2274946
damn... just love talking about unrelated stuff don't you. 4chan apparently HAS become a safe space, but for dumbfuck idiots with low reading comprehension.
>>
>>2275017
I remember the last thing I watched from shark week was about some tourist visiting cape horn to see whales (who the fuck goes to cape horn to see WHALES) and the boat got attacked by a shark that killed like 10 of the tourists or something. Meanwhile they go on and on about how smart the shark is for strategically eating all these bony humans whose deaths are conveniently filmed and shown over and over again
hopefully natgeo wild picks up where discover left off
>>
File: guMCFeF.jpg (108KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
guMCFeF.jpg
108KB, 1920x1200px
>>2272436
Because the sharko goes:
>"............"
>>
>>2274244
I used to have this but imagined crocodiles fucking my shit up
So one day I said enough being a pussy, you live in Arizona you faggot and turned off all the lights in my backyard and just floated in my pool with my back to the pool floor
I was so fucking nervous and having a small panic attack but I eventually calmed myself down and now it's not an issue
>>
>>2275472
Crocodiles though it is more likely cause people or drug dealers let their exotic baby crocs down their water pipes to get rid of them in any state

Or so the saying goes
>>
>>2274244
Yeah, there is no way we could survive in pool, yet alone get there. No need to be afraid.
>>
>>2275537
>we
>>
File: giphy-4.gif (487KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
giphy-4.gif
487KB, 500x281px
>>2274244
>>2274672
Steve O shoved a fish hook through his cheek and jumped into shark infested Mexican waters WHILE THEY WERE CHUMMING
Man up
>>
>>2275578
Careful, you'll offend that special snowflakes delicate sensibilities. Don't you know your rights end where their feelings begin?
It's not about manning up, or even taking responsibility for themselves. Now we just throw a label on our problems, proudly show it off and proclaim that we are different, then do nothing at all. This makes much more sense than actually fixing the fucking problem.
>>
>>2272478
only if you flop around like a dying animal. otherwise they'll leave you alone
>>
>>2275580
>>2275578
what is this a sad hybrid between >>>/fit/ and >>>/pol
>>
>>2275817
If you need a hug box there are plenty of other websites that will coddle you and be respectful of your fe fee's.
Go whine somewhere else.
>>
>>2272587
So what would happen if you were a fat guy? Are land whales more likely to be consumed by sharks?
>>
>>2275959
Yes actually, that anon forgot to mention that a lot of Shark Attacks tend to happen because they mistake humans for seals which is their favourite prey.
>>
File: Ancestors.jpg (57KB, 640x419px) Image search: [Google]
Ancestors.jpg
57KB, 640x419px
>>2272918
>Bull Sharks -->salt to freshwater
What do?
>>
I love sharks a lot. Might be my favourite animals. I think Greenland Shark in particular.
>>
>>2275580
>>2275826
Literally blowing it out of proportion. The only person TRIGGERED here that needs a safe place is you amigo. Stop nerd raging over nothing
>>
>>2272529
>Outside these things that I had mentioned, there really are no 'facts' about this creature.

What are you talking about? No facts other than teeth?

We have whale vertebra with giant teeth marks form the same time i.e. sediments. Pic related.
>>
File: download.jpg (11KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11KB, 259x194px
>>2272662
Yeah and whats cool about megladon is it existed at the same time as Livyatan melvillei. A sperm whale sized predatory whale that hunt whales, probably hunted in packs, and packed some serious dental work.
>>
>>2272529
>all it left behind was its teeth

>Some fossil vertebrae have been found.[10] The most notable example is a partially preserved vertebral column of a single specimen, excavated in the Antwerp basin, Belgium by M.Leriche in 1926. It comprises 150vertebral centra, with the centra ranging from 55 millimetres (2.2in) to 155 millimetres (6.1in) in diameter.[8] However, scientists have claimed that considerably larger vertebral centra can be expected.[8] A partially preserved vertebral column of another C.megalodon specimen was excavated from Gram clay in Denmark by Bendix-Almgeen in 1983. This specimen comprises 20vertebral centra, with the centra ranging from 100 millimetres (3.9in) to 230 millimetres (9.1in) in diameter.[27]
>>
>>2277852
Yup and some giant shark shit.

You there are also a bunch of baby and juveniles teeth found. So we think we found a nursery.
>Nursery sites were identified in the Gatun Formation of Panama, the Calvert Formation of Maryland, Banco de Concepción in the Canary Islands,[23] and the Bone Valley Formation of Florida. As is the case with most sharks, C. megalodon gave birth to live young. The size of neonate C. megalodon teeth indicate that pups were around 2 to 4 metres (6.6 to 13.1 ft) in total length at birth.[4][8] Their dietary preferences display an ontogenetic shift.[8] Young C. megalodon commonly preyed on fish,[4] giant sea turtles,[47] dugongs[25] and small cetaceans; mature C. megalodon moved to off-shore cetacean high-use areas and consumed large cetaceans.[8]
>>
>>2272587
>dont worry its just a test bite
>needs 40 stiches and an amputation

At least I'm not dead right?
>>
>>2272674
second this fuck Orcas
>>
File: 1b.jpg (28KB, 614x344px) Image search: [Google]
1b.jpg
28KB, 614x344px
>>2275019
Yes they can, and have been documented doing so, full grown Great Whites go into Toxic Immobility just like any other shark does and Orcas are larger, hunt in packs, and easily intelligent enough to exploit it
>>
>>2272436

more shark pictures please
>>
>>2278891
Bing or google em and post them yourself, im bored
>>
File: 1474232108353.jpg (33KB, 567x565px) Image search: [Google]
1474232108353.jpg
33KB, 567x565px
>>2277888
Wrong. Scientists don't even know if tonic immobility works if FULL GROWN.
>>
File: 1463225571408.jpg (114KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1463225571408.jpg
114KB, 1280x720px
What about disk on the head shark and spiral jaw shark?
>>
>>2272674
because they are cute and don't hurt humans unless they're those crazy ones that have been caged up their entire lives
knowing an apex predator out there is friendly, and willing to help us makes us tend to like them more
>>
>>2279526
>because they are cute and don't hurt humans unless they're those crazy ones that have been caged up their entire lives
If you honestly believe an orca wouldn't make a meal out of you if you were in their environment then you are seriously delusional.
>but they're cute
Really nigger?
>>
>>2279542
>no documented attacks in recorded history
>>
>>2279141
>citation needed
>>
>>2279635
doesn't work that way.

if anon says research DOESN'T EXIST you can't ask for a citation for it.

it is your job to either:
1. disprove them by finding that the research DOES exist,
or
2. shut up.

in this case anon is correct, as a simple reading of the Wikipedia article on tonic immobility shows. You're a retard, and etc.
>>
File: 3b-Tonic-immobility-moments.jpg (49KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
3b-Tonic-immobility-moments.jpg
49KB, 333x500px
>>2279643
Um
anon didn't say anything about research not existing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_white_shark
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparent_death

not seeing anything related to scientific doubt about Tonic Immobility in regards to age

I can flood this image with pictures of full grown sharks being held in Tonic Immobility, it's not that hard to find
>>
>>2279635
probably a more fun question is how do you think researchers should go about inducing tonic immobility in adult great white sharks without getting severely eaten?

There's a reason we know so little about adult great whites- they don't survive in captivity and they'll fuck your shit up in the ocean.
>>
File: maxresdefault (2).jpg (144KB, 1915x1076px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (2).jpg
144KB, 1915x1076px
>>2279646
>he thinks Great Whites are particularly aggressive or something

They're not Bull Sharks

or you know you could use the multiple first hand accounts where Orcas have done it
>>
>>2279645
oh, I see.
you either can't read or are moving the goalposts.

anon was discussing immobility in adult great white sharks.

you don't have any pics of that because it has never been observed.
>>
>>2279649
>you could use the multiple first hand accounts where Orcas have done it
there are none that I'm aware of.

Wikipedia only lists one account of an orca observed killing a great white, and it was a juvenile. Also the orca didn't roll the shark.
>>
>>2275578
I haven't swam since I was a kid, but I did have this fear of 'pool sharks' last time I did. I'll definitely remember Steve-O's example.
>>
File: snow door.jpg (34KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
snow door.jpg
34KB, 800x450px
>>2272869
>>2272866

id imagine it would be like pic but green
>>
>>2279542
dude I have literally swim with orcas. I was within maybe 10-15ft of an orca and its pod. This was in open waters outside of monterey bay with a research team, but I was one of two people in the water. Orcas are more curious about us than we are of them and given what they prey on, orcas eating humans would be like if we ate rats; we're a shitty meal for them. you are seriously delusional
>>
>>2272436

It's a big shark. That's pretty much it.
>>
File: seriosulybro.jpg (13KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
seriosulybro.jpg
13KB, 512x384px
>>2275019

Who gets killed by a cow?

Also Jesus Christ hippos
>>
Discuss - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-13/kalgoorlie-filmmaker-gets-close-up-with-great-white-shark/8114036
>>
>>2279542
they ARE super cute.
They also have mild echo location, from what we can gather they don't attack us because our insides are so similar to their own. its the same reason dolphins don't
>>2279727
ive seen those go pro videos where people are out on kayaks in open water with orcas approaching them,
I know they are harmless but i would probably shit my pants if i was in that position
>>
>>2279772
Been shark diving in a cage but that was a totally different interaction. Kinda jealous but would have also shat my pants if that happened to me.

It's interesting cos the shark seems a bit aggressive but also very curious. With cage diving they are swimming past you at full speed and thrashing about.
>>
>>2272674
Orcas are truly piles of shit. They'll harass a mother whale for hours to steal her calf, kill it, eat one organ, then let the carcass rot.
>>
>>2279785
>They also have mild echo location, from what we can gather they don't attack us because our insides are so similar to their own. its the same reason dolphins don't
Where the fuck did you hear that? Because that is completely retarded. They'll sit there and eat other dolphins and whales all day long. Are you saying we are internally more similar to an orca than a dolphin is?
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.