[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/herp/ Reptile & Amphibian General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 78

File: black-tree-monitor.jpg (157KB, 1000x662px) Image search: [Google]
black-tree-monitor.jpg
157KB, 1000x662px
Monitoring edition

previous >>2255066

/herp/ reptile classifieds for finding breeders of various scaled and sundry creatures

>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>Also check to see if there are any annual reptile shows/expos in your area as these are good places to find good animals from good breeders at partial discount

/herp/ officially official all purpose care sheet of wonder and magic

>sand a shit
>use a thermostat
>read all the caresheets
>set up your tank before you get your herp
>regulate temps & humidity levels prior to herp arrival
>do not fuck with (handle) your herp for at least 7 days after bringing it home and ideally wait until herp has eaten at least one meal (for snakes), two meals for lizards, frogs, etc.
>PVC tanks are way better for most applications and worth the extra money
>it is best to avoid chain pet stores when looking to purchase live animals as mass breeder suppliers are not especially careful about health and sound genetics... it often saves you money long term to spend a little extra up front to get a healthy animal
>>
>>2264735
Why are iguanas assholes
>>
File: blue-spotted-tree-monitor.jpg (2MB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
blue-spotted-tree-monitor.jpg
2MB, 2000x1333px
>>
>>2264737
because they're too cool for you and your species and this whole planet
>>
File: monitor.jpg (117KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
monitor.jpg
117KB, 500x332px
>>
re; this question from end of last thread,

>>2264689
>Is there any information on ranking the effectiveness of different brands and models of terrarium hoods are as far as reflectivity for UV and heat? Or, if not, a ranking by style (un/polished aluminum, white paint, steel, shallow/deep dome, etc)?

I don't know but i'm curious as well. I assume the white coated and polished shiny types would be most reflective. Deep dome types are only needed for long bulbs that extend past the bell and hit the screen top in regular size domes. No reflective advantage with those.
>>
File: LiterallyGodzilla.jpg (268KB, 750x450px)
LiterallyGodzilla.jpg
268KB, 750x450px
>>
>>2264754
2 fuzzy mice for a baby red tail isn't overfeeding imo
>>
File: Sparkles.jpg (284KB, 856x1140px) Image search: [Google]
Sparkles.jpg
284KB, 856x1140px
>>2264754
I've never seen an adult boa up close so I could just be over reacting. It's just the vertebrae are very visible when bent downwards and I can feel all the ribs when I pick it up. I got my camera to get some better pictures so many some anons could weigh in and tell me if I'm just overreacting. The boa would be about 2 and a half years old.

Sorry the pictures are a bit dark.
>>
File: Sparkles 2.jpg (266KB, 1296x864px)
Sparkles 2.jpg
266KB, 1296x864px
>>2264782
Forgot to say, I live in Canada. I don't think he has it as I haven't seen neurological signs but I want to be safe as I have 3 snakes of my own and wouldn't want them to get it. All I have to go off is that he apparently hasn't eaten in 2 months accord to the old owners who I didn't see directly.
>>
does anyone have experience with salamanders and or newts?
>>
>>2264782
>>2264785
I think it looks a little underweight and somewhat dehydrated
but not super bad
>>
File: sty.gif (919KB, 500x281px)
sty.gif
919KB, 500x281px
Can someone list off reputable PVC cage fabricators?

I'm looking for stacking PVC cages. 2 that are 18x18x24 for crested geckos, and 2 that are 36x18x18 one for a leopard gecko and one for a ball python.

All the places I look really don't offer stackable arboreal cages that are really that tall. Most I've seen are just 18" cubes.

They must stack though. Otherwise I may just convert a bookshelf or something.

It would be great if they had a water proof bottom of a couple inches too for substrate.
>>
Winter is coming and I'm still spooked about the tank getting too cold. Are dead leaves or other substrate for burrowing good blanket for sneks in their hides?
>>
>>2264901
you know a blanket only works because it traps your own body heat
just make sure you have adequate heating devices and/or backups if necessary
>>
File: IMG_2140.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px)
IMG_2140.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2264782
Oh yeah nowhere near emaciated. That's muscle, not spine. That said, it's possible it is slightly thin, but a proper feeding schedule will put it up to weight. I would not feed it extra, though.

Snakes don't store fat under their skin, so you'll be able to feel their ribs to some extent. If they're really obvious, it's likely just because of low muscle mass.

It does look a bit dehydrated, though not majorly so. You want 70-80% for common boas.

How big is the boa? It looks roughly 3.5'-4', so I would say a small rat every 2-3 weeks would be appropriate. If it's 3'-3.5' I'd do a weaned rat every 2 weeks.

2 months is nothing, I fast my boas 2.5-3 years 3 months every winter and they don't lose any significant weight at all. If it's underweight it's due to regular feeding negligence.

Pic is of my sunglow girl, who has been conservatively fed since I got her. First few months she was fed a hopper every 10 days, then that stretched out to 14 days very quickly. Here she's 3' and still on jumbo mice every 14 days, but she's eating weaned rats every 2 weeks now. Over the winter she's being fed monthly. Next year she'll be fasted completely.

>>2264759
Two of anything is overfeeding. If it's eating two fuzzy mice, consider a medium or large adult mouse instead. Even when the weight of the two combined prey items are less than the goal size, it still results in rapid growth in weight and length, as I've found in my retic and my rainbow boas. I absolutely refuse to feed multiples to my boa constrictors, and really hesitant to for anything else.
>>
>>2264885
Animal Plastics is typically the least expensive. There are a lot of smaller guys who make them to order as well. One thing to look out for is wait time. Some of those might take a month just to ship; if it says in stock and ships immediately then you're good.

Most pvc tanks are built to stack so no worries on that.
>>
>>2264931
Oh, stackable arboreal tanks... yeah I have no idea on that. The pvc market is mainly based around terrestrial herps.
>>
How do I keep the humidity of my enclosure up but the mites dead?
I 'm starting to see little white mites crawling all over the substrate
>>
>>2264951
Those are springtails and they're good. They eat rotting organic matter and fungus. You're very lucky to have gotten them unintentionally, people are actually willing to buy boxes of the things just to help keep their vivs clean
>>
File: 20161116_232935.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px)
20161116_232935.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>2264956
I googled them and they don't look the same.
Are these it?
I would go to great lengths to obliterate these little fucks when I saw them in my tarantula enclosures but I can't exactly dry out my snake's enclosure
>>
>>2264964
Yeah those are springtails. Keep them around, they're great
>>
>>2264967
Thanks I'll cancel the mite killing spray I just ordered ha ha ha
>>
>>2264964
You lucky son of a bitch
I cant manage to keep them alive in anything but my boa enclosure. Not enough debris for them to eat.
>>
>>2264969
Dude I get them for fun
My tarantula enclosure gets them if I don't kill them (I won't anymore) I even got them in my roach colony but completely eradicated them there.
>>
>>2264974
Enclosures*
The reason I kill them when they're there is because my Ts will stay off the substrate and on top of solid stuff when they're mucking about
>>
>>2264975
Most of my animals either like it a good bit dryer than springtails do, or just don't produce enough waste to keep them fed.
I havent seeded my new crested gecko enclosure yet though.
>>
>>2264735
How do you guys feel about this? I adopted a ball python from a lady and she gave me a few bricks of this because she kept it on this and I really like it
The only issues I hear about are the snake ingesting it when feeding but I feed in a separate container
>>
>>2264985
It's really good stuff. Keeps the humidity up well and plants root in it easily.
Dont worry about substrate ingestion with a python. Ball pythons stress way to easily to bother with container feeding.
I'd make a thick layer of it, but some heavy plants in it and some rocks for him to burrow under.
I'd do a drainage layer too. Your snake will be really comfortable in something like that where it will feel covered all the time and you'll see it more. They're kinda like fish in that regard.
>>
>>2264985
Definitely feed the snake in the enclosure, and the substrate ingestion isn't a worry, either. A properly hydrated and heated snake will be able to pass just about anything.
>>
>>2264995
>>2264996
What's wrong with feeding balls in separate containers? I knew they stress easy but would it be that hard on him just taking him out feeding and directly back in? I haven't tried to feed him yet cause he just started shedding but good to know
>>
>>2264998
That little bit of extra stress can make them refuse to eat.
It's why I dont keep them anymore
>>
>>2264998
>What's wrong with feeding balls in separate containers?
>I knew they stress easy

you just answered your own question
is entirely possible that moving them from their tank to the feeding tub might stress them into not eating
or they might get stressed from the move back the their tank and regurgitate it

of course these are all hypotheticals, but still more harmful than swallowing a little eco earth
>>
File: 73231697.jpg (141KB, 500x331px)
73231697.jpg
141KB, 500x331px
>>
File: fixed3.png (1MB, 1000x662px) Image search: [Google]
fixed3.png
1MB, 1000x662px
>>2265005
>>
File: lJLdzJZ.jpg (979KB, 4608x3456px)
lJLdzJZ.jpg
979KB, 4608x3456px
what breed of gek is this?
>>
>>2265285
House gecko.
They're good to have around
>>
>>2264853
Bumping in hopes of help
>>
>>2264870
>>2264919
Not dehydrated, very skinny, emaciated was too far though. Took her to the vet today who specializes in snakes. She has 2 rescued boas of her own and she checked her out and said to try to get her eating and besides being so underweight she was looking pretty good. No mites, scale rot, mouth rot, fatty liver disease or anything else. Gave me some feeding tips in case she wouldn't eat and was kind enough to not charge me for the appointment because she was glad I took it in :)
>>
>watch beardie come down off his basking perch and go straight to the veggie bowl
>eats a leaf and then takes a superworm form the other bowl

I guess he's finally settled in, that makes me feel a lot better
>>
>>2265285
>>2265290

Yes and definitely a baby. At that size maybe a month old max.
>>
>>2264853
>>2265292
Might get more responses if you're more specific about what you need help with.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Does he look skinny? He's only 3months old
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px)
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2265369
>>
>>2265295
The snake's definitely dehydrated, hence the rough look to the scales and the sharp bends in the skin where it folds up.

Yup, so long as she eats, a proper-sized rat every 2-3 weeks should get her up to weight. You want a slow, steady weight gain over the course of a few months so as not to shock her system. Sometimes a change in scenery and husbandry helps kickstart their feeding response so hopefully she eats for you!
>>
I found a smallish common lizard in my garage and he looks pretty skinny. He must have been born in there and not been able to find much to eat. she i just let him go or hang on to him and try to get him some food tomorrow? Its too dark to find any right now
>>
>>2265431
nevermind, he's a gecko now that got a better look at him
>>
>>2265369
Looks fine. You can weigh him on a kitchen or postal scale once a month to keep track of his growth. Any scale that does gram increments will work.
>>
File: 20161118_000612.jpg (2MB, 2896x2896px) Image search: [Google]
20161118_000612.jpg
2MB, 2896x2896px
Does snek look healthy?
Bitch hates baths but I give it bath anyways.
>>
My bearded dragon died this morning, of old age, he was 10, I'm sad honestly.
>>
>>2265527
why the fuck would you bathe a snake without reason? are you retarded?
>>
One of my Leopard Geckos most likely wants to hibernate, while the other does not. I dont really have the possibility to drop the temperature to 15 degrees Celsius, how should i proceed?
Just let her sleep on the cold side of my tank while reducing her food intake? I tried moving her to the warm side again, but she won't stay...
I'm only a bit worried about her not being able to digest if she eats too much...
>>
>>2265527
Looks really thin, but soaks aren't going to help that. If you stop soaking it that may help to get it eating again.
>>
>>2265527
Stop soaking snakes.
It's bad for them.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2265521
I was thinking about feeding him an extra rat pup but I guess I'm just gonna finish what's left with 1per week schedule then upgrade to weans.
He easily swallowed a rat pup last time and his belly is slightly bigger than pups now.
>>
>>2265607
Not him, but why are they bad?
>>
>>2265675
Just stresses them out usually. If the snake actually LIKES soaking, it's fine, but most snakes people keep on here don't like it.

I soak a few of my snakes, and those are only the anacondas because they actively like it.
>>
>>2265540
Sorry anon. :(
>>
>>2265563
Keep temperatures the same. You can decrease food amounts a bit. Don't interfere with their thermoregulating. If she wants to spend winter on the cool side of the tank that's okay and will cause no harm.
>>
>>2265675
Unless the snake is amphibious or aquatic, soaks are unnecessary and just exacerbate skin conditions like bad sheds. Although oils are stored under a few layers of skin, their skin is still slightly porous (not nearly as much as ours but still just a bit - try rubbing some water into bent scales, you'll find they'll straighten out a bit) and soaking them compulsorily will affect their skin health without affecting their overall hydration in a significant way. If you want a hydrated snake, maintain a constant high humidity in their enclosure. Plus, it's stressful for most snakes - most videos of snakes you see swimming around in the bath tub are snakes stressing out and trying to escape. The "exercise" isn't worth it for the stress it causes.
>>
>>2265562
I soak it because I can't get the humidity past 50 so it's my way of helping it get a little extra humidity on its skin
>>2265600
It eats once a week without problems
>>2265607
First I've heard of this
>>
>>2265711
>It eats once a week without problems

Then feed it something bigger, unless you recently acquired it.

Soaking doesn't hydrate snakes beyond loosening sheds, you need to find a way to raise humidity, the majority of their hydration comes from the moisture they breathe in throughout the day. What sort of set up do you have?
>>
>>2265793
Yeah I've had it for a month but actually just bought bigger mice because the clerk told me to feed it pinkies but it basically slurped them down. I'm moving it up to fuzzies this Sunday
>>
>>2265686
Thanks for the reply, I wont move her anymore. So it's fine for her to not really hibernate then amd still eat sometimes? I mean, the cold side still has my rooms temperature. Last year, both stayed totally active during winter, this is kinda a first for me.
>>
>>2265903
Yes that's okay. Keep on eye on this though. If you notice more unusual behaviour or she stops eating completely for more than one week, stops passing stool/urates, then a vet trip may be in order as it could potentially be a sign of trouble.
>>
>>2265793

For hydration, my favorite method is the one I learned from watching viperkeeper's videos. He uses a lab squirt bottle to direct a gentle stream of water towards snek's head to encourage them to drink. Very useful especially for sneks who don't like to drink from their water bowls.
>>
>>2265815
It's likely it should be on rats much larger than a mouse.

>>2265927
Except that's not how snakes get their hydration, and if you were to rely on that to hydrate your ball python it is quickly going to dehydrate. The vast majority of a snake's hydration comes from the moisture they breathe in the air throughout the day. Very little of their overall hydration comes from actually drinking water, it's more supplementary.

Viperkeeper also seems to have a problem with stuck sheds, I've never had a stuck shed in 5 years since I started raising my humidity. I keep my ball python's humidity as high as possible without condensation forming.
>>
>>2265991
Lol no that thing is about as thick as my thumb
>>
>>2266024
Yeah and it's also underweight, it's nearly emaciated. I have no clue how long it is but it looks easily large enough for a rat pup.

Ball pythons hatch straight out of the egg large enough to eat a fuzzy rat or adult mouse. If it's grown any at all, I can guarantee you it can take a decent-sized young rat.
>>
>>2265991
Well yes, anon, it goes without saying humidity should be kept in the correct range for snake species. For BPs that is roughly 50%-70%, if conditions are hovering on the low end of that a daily or semi-daily mist is a good idea to bump it up for a few hours, and also moist hide is another option.

I never meant to imply that getting them to drink on occasion was primary hydration source.
>>
>>2266033
It's about a foot long
I'll feed it the fuzzies and move it up to rats then
No idea where to even buy those
>>
>>2266110
You can order frozen rodents online. Shipping is expensive but it works out cheaper overall if you order about three or more months worth.
>>
File: SAM_1681.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px)
SAM_1681.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>2264735
>>
>>2266133
Jelly
>>
>>2265924
Thanks, I'll definitely keep an eye on her. I treated the other leo with some waxworms today ( I usually do this about once a month), and suddenly the hibernating one also got interested in me doing stuff around the tank. I gave her 2 waxworms as well, she was well interested in them, so I don't think that there is any problem with her.
>>
>>2266073
That's what VP does, he provides no additional atmospheric humidity and relies completely on the water bottle to "hydrate" them. Not that it works.
>>
File: IMG_3076.jpg (94KB, 583x597px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3076.jpg
94KB, 583x597px
Can anyone think of a reason for my corn snake to always stay on the cold side of his enclosure? The thing is his hot side doesn't even get hot it stays around 75 right now (fixing soon chill) so it doesn't make sense
He has hides on both sides so
>>
My leopard gecko's UTH started peeling off the bottom after almost a year of use. Is this a good amount use from a UTH or should I invest in a different brand when I replace it? Looking suggestions for a 20 gallon long. Thanks!
>>
>>2266384
Either the hot side isn't significantly warmer than the rest of the tank or he just prefers that. 75F isn't much warmer than room temp so if the rest of the tank is in the 60's it's possible he's going into brumation, and he'd need to avoid too warm of temps so his metabolism could drop.
>>
>>2266439
tape that bitch
>>
>>2266494
Stupid question, but what sort of tape works best? I don't want a fire hazard or something that won't stick well either of course.
>>
>>2266500
Not a stupid question at all. Most tape is not suitable as the adhesive loses stickyness from the heat quickly.

Best tape to use is aluminum foil tape. You can order it online or buy from most hardware stores. Foil tape is designed to be used in hot conditions and will not lose adhesion from heat coming off the UTH.

Tape all around the edges and do an X pattern across the center. The place a bit of plastic or cardboard directly below the middle of the UTH so it doesn't sag and lose contact with the glass. You can also do this with a brand new UTH (leave the paper on) so you can remove and reuse without damaging the device.
>>
>>2266503
Oh nice, thanks a lot! I will go get some and try this out. Have a picture of my gecko while I was cleaning her tank out for your trouble.
>>
>>2266559
qt gecker right there
>>
>>2265679
>anacondas because they actively like it.
you own a fucking anaconda?
>>
>>2266614
? what is wrong with an anaconda?
>>
>>2265679
Anacondas are semiaquatic snakes
Ball pythons are not
>>
>>2266614
Whats so outlandish about that anon, plenty of people own retics and burmese, anacondas arent that different except that their shit is on another level of nasty
>>
File: ArRX0Vt.jpg (565KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
ArRX0Vt.jpg
565KB, 1836x3264px
Any recommendations for something else to support his basking branch?
all the crickets i put in there end up hiding under that thing

I have slate rock in my backyard, is that ok? I'm just concerned about it getting too hot and maybe burning him
>>
>>2267161
It would be nice to know what you're worried about burning.
>>
>>2267179
oh whoops its an itty bitty beardie
>>
>>2267201
If the branch is where he will be basking I doubt a rock on the ground below will get hot enough to hurt it.
>>
>>2267206
he likes to sit under and around it as well too, so he can adjust temps as needed
>>
/an/ why is my ball python so weird
he refused his first meal today and is now going around his enclosure hissing at nothing? This is the first time I've heard him hiss
Not worried about the feeding, he's a little fat anyway and it's his first winter but the hissing?? Why??
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (206KB, 1916x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
206KB, 1916x1080px
Hey guys I've got a lighting question.

I've got a vivarium going, I converted a 55 gal aquarium my brother gave me with an aqueon light fixture. The light it came with is a t8 17w 24". I have a feeling this isn't the best light output for the amount of growth I'm trying to accomplish though.

The viv is 29 inches long, 16 inches tall factoring in the substrate, and 15 inches wide.

Anyways is there a better bulb that I could get for my current fixture that would provide better growth? And if not what would be a good way to get supplemental lightsource in there? Buy another or different light?

Pic not mine but related
>>
>>2267764
He is either sick, or is about to shed and it's clogging his nose.
>>
>>2267772
Yeah ok I just did a ton of research and am making some small adjustments, dropping humidity slightly (it's usually quite high 50-80% never any dampness though), increasing ventilation, and increasing temps slightly I really hope it's not an RI. I turned the light on and stared at him for a while to see if I could see any bubbles or mucus near his mouth but didn't see anything and the hissing completely stopped when it was on a pretty steady interval up to that point. I am hoping it's just behavioral. Gonna keep an extremely close eye on him tonight and tomorrow but when should I take him to the vet? Is 5 mins of intermittent hissing enough cause or am I being paranoid? Assuming no other symptoms show. I love my snek and don't want him to be sick ;_; hopefully he's going into shed soon or just being aggro for some reason...his last shed was 10/16 tho so I don't know. He's my first snek. Thanks for the advice /herp/ and sorry for the wall of text I just love my little snek and want to make sure he's healthy
>>
>>2267778
Side note I know my slight adjustments would be counterproductive to a shed but I'd rather him have a bad shed than let a potential RI get worse
>>
>>2267782
Should be fine for a shed anon as long as it doesn't drop below 45% max with the 50-60 range being preferable
>>
>>2267789
thanks anon, yeah it's holding right at 50 so he should be fine if he sheds

Update on my snek he has not shown any other symptoms since the 5 mins of hissing yesterday and is behaving normally so I am cautiously optimistic but will keep monitoring
>>
File: 20161121_120804.jpg (260KB, 1031x773px) Image search: [Google]
20161121_120804.jpg
260KB, 1031x773px
Found a baby cobra at the Raleigh Repticon last weekend.
>>
File: 20161122_182451.jpg (211KB, 1031x773px) Image search: [Google]
20161122_182451.jpg
211KB, 1031x773px
Everywhere I read says they're comfortable in a wide range of temps but his 10 gallon at the warmest spot only reaches 84 with a day bulb. The smallest pinkie I could find in the 6 packs I looked through was still pretty big for him. Should I switch to a basking bulb to bump the temperature and help with digestion? That pinkie was unnoticeable 24 hours after he ate it but it still seemed large after he ate it.
>>
File: 1462559276925.jpg (35KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1462559276925.jpg
35KB, 450x450px
>moving to urban Ontario because of work
>every single municipality has a strict "no herps" policy
>even balls are banned
RIP. Somebody annex this commie shithole.
>>
>>2268327
>>2268330
well anon I have some bad/good news for you...
thats not a baby cobra

more seriously though, you should see what you can do about getting the hot spot to about 90
looking at the pinkie, it seems to be about the right size, if its a little bigger thats ok too
>That pinkie was unnoticeable 24 hours after he ate it
this is a good thing, it wasnt too large for him and he's digesting it well
>>
>>2268333
but why? I'm not sure there's any feasible way for tropical and semi tropical reptiles to survive even a mild canadian winter
>>
File: 1121.png (284KB, 465x311px)
1121.png
284KB, 465x311px
things seem to be going well for lil baby dio

>>2266559
so fuggen cuuuuuuute
>>
File: IMG_3236.png (4MB, 1242x2208px)
IMG_3236.png
4MB, 1242x2208px
My ball is unbelievably afraid of me what can I do? I've been trying to get him out and just gently move him in my hands like people tell me but he just balls up and or flinches really hard
I don't know how much his old owner handled him
When I put him on the ground he hauls ass across the room to get away from me and hide
Pic related him running away from me
>>
>>2268345
Could his tank be too big for him? He's 4 foot something I think haven't had the chance to measure him myself because he won't stop freaking out
His tank is 36 inches long 18 tall Internet says that's 55 gallons but I'm not sure
The tank came with him from the old owner and she claimed it was perfect size
>>
>>2268347
Never mind I just measured his shed he's 3 foot 4 lol
>>
>>2268347
that is nowhere near too big
also there's no such thing as too big

clearly the previous owner did nothing with it at all
>>
If the little smiley lizards are called geckers, what are the lizards with no legs called?
>>
>>2268352
From what I read balls get overwhelmed with too much space but it might be a made up excuse by bad owners
>>
>>2268355
Literally called legless lizard
>>
>>2268375
balls are scared of too much open space
open space=being seen=being eaten

so long as your tank is properly furnished it can any size above the minimum
>>
>>2268347
>>2268348
The shed isn't a way to tell how long a snake is, it can be anywhere from 10-200% of the snake's length. That said, the snake definitely isn't 4', 3' would be a generous guess.

The tank should be fine, I would just add extra hides and plenty of cover. Snakes stress out in big open spaces, not in big spaces.
>>
>>2267767
Those fixtures are only made to handle one wattage of bulb, and changing the color only helps so much. If you want a cheap, simple solution, a dual T8 shop light from the home improvement store will work, or some dome lamps with CFLs. If you're willing to spend more, you can get a dual or quad T5HO fixture, or grow LEDs. The LEDs for grow rooms are going to be very purple, so you might want to consider aquarium fixtures like Finnex or Current USA if you decide to go that route.

What kind of animals are you planning on putting in there?
>>
>>2268345
Okay, you'll want to slow it down a bit and go gradual on the taming. This is how balls behave when they have had limited human interaction.

First, get him accustomed to your smell. You can do this by putting a t-shirt of yours in his tank. Wait one week. Next, place your hand in the tank away from him and hold it still for ten or fifteen minutes. Do that every other day for one week unless he has just eaten or is in shed. Then pick him up and hold him for ten minutes twice a week. Don't put him down when you have him out. The purpose is to teach him that being held is not an attempt by you to eat him.

Time and patience.
>>
>>2268394
I've been looking into grow LEDs lately and you can actually get the newer ones in white(ish).
>>
File: IMG_0488.jpg (499KB, 1536x2048px)
IMG_0488.jpg
499KB, 1536x2048px
This my gargoyle gecko his age isn't quite known down to the exact point but by a guess I would say he's around nearly one and half years what weight should he be for a male that age just a question.
>>
>>2268339
Are you pretending to be retarded? Do you think we don't keep our houses a toast 20 degrees inside all winter? Do you think it is hard to keep a tank even warmer?

How do you think niggers in every border state have winter? baka my man
>>
>>2268417
Really cute picture.
(I don't own a garg, but with my leos, I don't really care about the weight, as long as they eat healthy/ poop on a regular basis, they should be fine. But that's just my input, maybe an anon with gargs can correct me)
>>
>>2268471
>calling someone retarded when they are being perfectly logical and you are the one massively misreading their post
>>
>>2268417
Eh, around 50-70 grams is general ballpark for near adult gargs. Your's looks good, not overweight.
>>
>>2268478
DUDE SNAKES LMAO. THEY EAT KIDS LMAO. AND DOGS LMAO.

Happy?
>>
>>2268327
>>2268330
>baby cobra

How much did you pay for it. Because HAHAHAHAHAHA.
>>
>>2268471
Pretty sure he was referring to if the snakes escaped which is why laws often exist. Pet trade is limited by states and countries that want to prevent ecological disasters such as the pythons in Florida.
>>
>>2268512
He showed me his hood and everything
>>
>>2268594
Then what the fuck is that thing you're posting.
>>
>>2268596
It's a Western Hognose.
>>
recommendations for disinfectant?
>>
So what do you guys do with your shedded snake skin? I heard people are selling them, but for what purpose? It woudn't be that bad to make some money off a perfect shed here and there.
I just wanna know why people buy those.
>>
>>2268611

>boil if it's something reasonably sized to boil
>if too big, soak in soapy water, rinse, then spray down with vinegar/water, rinse, dry
>clean glass with 50/50 vinegar water solution

For disinfection, you can use chlorhexidine. It is a common solution used by vets. Thoroughly rinse and dry before letting your herp anywhere near whatever you cleaned with it.
>>
>>2268616
Also, for more thorough cleaning of glass you can use a hand steamer after doing a pass with the vinegar solution. Careful to apply the steam gently so the glass has time to heat. Otherwise there is a risk of cracking it.
>>
>>2268615
I think snake shed can be used to make decorative clothing items in some way. No idea on the process.
>>
>>2268333
>All snakes which reach an adult length larger than 3 metres

Ball python males only reach 1 metre so there's that
>>
>>2268397
Thank you I will do that
>>
Sup /herp/

/pol/ac/k/ here, recently got in to snakes with this hypo brooks kingsnake. This was maybe a month ago and he's already the length of my forearm.
>>
>>2268732
Cool! Brooksi's always have great colour patterns.
>>
Does anybody have a link to specs for a diy pvc enclosure? I'm not paying $300 for a chunk of plastic.
>>
>>2268594
>>
>>2268936

I don't have blueprints are anything that detailed but general gist is:

>10mm pvc for front parts, rear, top, and bottom walls
>6mm pvc for side walls
>1/4" plexi for the front window/door
>front door can either be two panel sliding setup or a hinged one piece that opens outwards

Those are the specs my local pvc maker uses. There is variation between brands.
>>
>>2268341
Is that a snapping turtle?
>>
File: IMG_9453.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9453.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
Waffle my uromastyx enjoying his thanksgiving salad
>>
>>2268975
yes, a common snapping turtle
>>
>>2268394
I already have it set up. Currently I have a healthy population of dwarf white isopods going, I also have a florida ivory millipede and madagascar hissing cockroaches together and they do fine coexisting.

Some day I hope to get something more interesting, like dart frogs and take the hissers and millipede out. The humidity is 70-80% and the dimensions of the tank has more floor space than height, but there's lot of climbing ledges too.

Maybe someone has some suggestions for something I could put in a tropical vivarium? I want a crested gecko but the viv I have currently is a bit out of parameters. I plan on making more vivariums though, it's kinda addicting.
>>
anyone have a recommendation for an IR thermometer?
>>
File: Lasergrip774.jpg (16KB, 300x300px)
Lasergrip774.jpg
16KB, 300x300px
>>2269522
Check amazon. They usually have pretty good ones for maybe 20 buck or so. Recommend you just search for 'ir thermometer' and don't include anything like pets, reptiles, or similar in the search. There is always a huge mark-up on anything labelled for reptile use. I have pic related and love it.
>>
>>2269458
Green tree frogs would be very comfy in that viv.
>>
>>2269605
Oh i see you said it is wider than tall. Hmm... salamanders are awesome if still legal where you live. Bumblebee toads are easier than dart frogs.
>>
>>2269605
>>2269608
As long as the height is still adequate tree frogs would be alright in it
>>
File: DSC01217.jpg (82KB, 1024x768px)
DSC01217.jpg
82KB, 1024x768px
>>2269605
That pic isn't mine, just what I'm shooting for. I'll try to get a good pic of the one I have but my camera kinda sucks and I'm still in the process of getting it arranged how I like it.

I was thinking of green tree frogs, or maybe some small madagascar day geckos. There's some that grow up to 3 to 4 inches. You think they'd be happy with 16 inches climbing space?
>>
>>2269608
I live in california, would salamanders need some kinda area to submerged themself in water or would the humidity be enough?
>>
>>2269633
big water dish
>>
>>2269633
I would assume the humidity alone, since salamanders breathe through their skin they need to be kept moist at all times, and they can't breathe underwater.
>>
What are people using for retic enclosures besides melamine? Just trying to explore my options here.
>>
>>2270042
a closet
>>
File: IMG_2331.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2331.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2270042
I'll probably have mine in an Animal Plastics enclosure. An 8'x4'x3' would cost me less than it took to build and heat a single 6'x2'x3' when I made them 3 years ago, plus I don't have to build it just put it together. I may or may not have to get new heating, but I'm hoping I can transfer my panels and CHE's over especially if I can put in some shelves.

If she gets over 12'-13' I'll probably build a bigger one or convert a room/portion of a basement when I buy an actual house. She's growing rather slowly and looks a whole lot like a Selayar dwarf, so she may not get bigger than that and the 8'x4' will be plenty for life. Even if she doesn't, it will take her a few extra years to get to that 13'+ size at the rate she's growing.
>>
Took my first cranwelli yesterday. It burrowed underground this morning and i cant even see its eyes. Is it okay if it goes that deep? Halp
>>
>>2270351
It's fine. Make sure your humidity is in the right range.
>>
File: IMG_1476.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1476.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
When da crickets so close but so far away.
>>
File: 1451740007487.jpg (332KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1451740007487.jpg
332KB, 1280x1280px
So for people using rack systems to keep many snakes, do they use a thermostat for each tub or how does that work?
>>
>>2270622
if you buy a good thermostat you can have multiple probes even set for different temps iirc

if you buy a slightly less good one you can still have multiple probes set for the same temp, which is good if all your snakes have the same care requirements
>>
Can anyone ID this badboy?
>>
>>2270540
Hope so, is around 80% with a +-5% error.
Its a cheap igromether tho, they only had that. Will take a better one soon. (It goes up to 99% at times. I think it could be because it was quite cheap and it is digital)
>>
>>2270670
looks like some kind of agama
location?
>>
My juvenile beardie has started getting antsy recently
I think he's looking for somewhere to dig
any good ideas to let him do this without having to worry about him eating sand when I feed him?
>>
File: AX1iuUg.jpg (4MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
AX1iuUg.jpg
4MB, 4128x3096px
My sweet 19 year old baby.
>>
>>2267201
Bearded dragons tend to..bite and chew alot...so get them some things they can chew on, so your house isn't...ruined. Also, they are a tad ruff, so maybe getting them some toys will help that.
>>
>>2270711
Yeah you can put a plastic bin of coco husk (dry) in his tank for digging.
>>
>>2270964
Cool. I love it when people post long lived reptiles.
>>
File: geckofriend.jpg (25KB, 486x465px)
geckofriend.jpg
25KB, 486x465px
What kind of gecko is this? I've heard both giant leaf-tail and Satanic leaf-tail.

I know both species are the same genus but the giant's species name is fimbriatus and the Satanic's species name is phantasticas.

Which one is this?
>>
>>2271175
but dude lmao Im SUCH a good pet owner my last beardie lived 2 years!!! he got huuuge
t. dumbfuck at petsmart who had no heat source uvb source and fed nothing but crickets
>>
>Pet slider turtle squirms and swipes at the aquarium glass in my direction whenver it sees me from afar
>Stops as soon as it put my face very close to the glass
>Stares at my face for minutes, moving left and right as if analyzing it
What does it mean?
>>
File: IMG_2340.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px)
IMG_2340.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2270964
May you two have another 19 years.

My oldest is only 10 years right now, but he's lucky considering I got him when I was a kid and my father didn't know the first thing about how to care for him beyond throw a rat in and maybe soak him every once in awhile.
>>
File: IMG_20161118_155705.jpg (1MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161118_155705.jpg
1MB, 4160x2340px
>>2264735
My Orion has 3months and 1 week, he's about 16-17cm lenght. Do you think hes going to be a big guy? Image related.
>>
>>2270567
haha feels bad man, my Orion turns crazy too.
>>
>found a house gecko clinging to the outside of my cricket keeper this morning

I pulled the legs off of one and threw it to him after he scurried a few feet away since he waited all night for it
>>
File: IMG-20161120-WA0002.jpg (32KB, 287x378px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161120-WA0002.jpg
32KB, 287x378px
>>2271297
meen the nature
>>
>>2271297
is he yours now?
>>
>>2271301
Hes welcome to stick around but my exo terra unit with my anoles is pretty small for the 2 of them already
Assuming my iguana doesn't eat him out of curiosity or some shit considering hes tried to eat hair, scrap plywood, carpet, my sheets, my blinds,soap, and an ethernet cable.
>>
Hey /herp/ my ~900 g male ball python hasn't eaten in 2 weeks, I've heard this is somewhat normal for bps and not to worry unless they seem dehydrated or anything. Will weigh him tomorrow to see if he's lost a lot but do u guys have any tips on how to tell if a snake is fat skinny or dehydrated looking? As far as just looking at their body? He looks kinda fat to me but this is my first BP so I'm not sure. I would post a pic of him but he's in a very awkward position right now and wouldn't be a good pic
>>
File: 20161128_232206.jpg (1MB, 2896x2896px) Image search: [Google]
20161128_232206.jpg
1MB, 2896x2896px
I'm back and with a questionable solution!
I've posted my enclosure in the past and have always had an issue getting my humidity above 50%.
I hit 50% on good days and would hover at around 40% most of the time. I tried seran wrap like /an/ told me to and that shit didn't work so just right now I tried this and within a minute of putting the lid back on my humidity went from 40% to 60%.
Is there an issue with what I've done? I'm going to stay up late to make sure the tape doesn't melt or catch on fire but besides that, have I dun goofed or am I good?
Also you guys recommend I feed my little guy rat pup, does /an/ have a few preferred sellers that have done them right?
>>
I accidentally added way too much water to my compressed block of coconut fiber and now it's mud. Will my African Bullfrog like this or should I trash it and go buy dry substrate?
>>
>>2271476
Is something keeping you from straining it out by hand?
I do this when I get new substrate for my tarantulas.
I drench the fiber until it's muddy and then I grab it by the handful from the bucket it's in and squeeze the shit out of it.
My Ts get comfy moisture and the fibers are completely separated
>>
>>2271207
well your first clue is that it looks nothing at all like a satanic leaf-tailed gecko
>>
>>2271418
2 weeks without eating is nothing for a ball python
some go months without any noticeable problems
>>
>>2271472
I assume thats a CHE ontop right? it will dry your air out quick as hell with the screen not helping
your substrate looks like eco earth which will absorb alot of water if you poor some in which would give it a nice bump
Another thing you could do is dampen a towel and hang it ontop of most of the cage(leaving a gap for airflow) and just wet it once or twice a day and that also is a good humidity booster
>>
>>2271494
Even with so much of the screen covered?
Is 65% humidity not enough anymore?
The substrate is a mixture of cypress mulch and flan
>>
>>2271500
Mulch and... Moss
>>
>>2271246
It's mating season and ur gonna be the girl
>>
>>2271642
It's not though
>>
>>2271492
Cool thanks for the reassurance anon, I'm probably just over thinking it cause he's never refused to eat before now
>>
>>2271500
>>2271502
Well that's a first. Please don't use desserts for reptile bedding.

On a more serious note. As far as the tape is concerned, so long as the animal doesn't escape and get stuck to the tape there shouldn't be a problem with it.
>>
So is it normal for BPs to burrow in their cage substrate?
Came back from Thanksgiving and found that mine had shoved her water dish into the entrance of her log hide, the burrowed under it
>>
Sup /herp/ so I "Remodeled" my leapord geko's cage and put in a small plastic cacti that I bought a while back. Problem is the crickets I feed her have begun to climb up and hide in it where she cant see/get to. Should I just take it out entirely or is there something I can do to make sure the crickets dont get up into it?
For now I've just taken it out and let 3 or so crickets roam around her cage and kept up her mealworm diet. She seems to like the crickets alot because she eats her full of mealworms (10-15) throughout the day and eats the crickets. Hell, her tail is still flicking around just before she eats them and she's already ~7 inches long so im sure she is really enjoying herself
>>
So my snow corn seems to be slowly getting more reddish tint to his otherwise only white and yellow skin/scales, especially down the spine.
Does this sound like something to worry about or just his colors changing as he ages? He's around three years old now.
>>
>>2271944

Yep, they do that. BPs are primarily a subteranean dwelling species in the wild. They spend most of their time in abandoned rodent burrows and similar.

>>2271947

You can seal any small holes the crickets are getting in to with GE Silicone I (100% pure silicone with not antifungal additives). Fill the holes and then wait one week for the silicone to completely cure and offgas before putting back in tank.

>>2272003

Totally normal. No worries.
>>
>>2272188
Thanks for that
>>
I have a young beardie, not sure on his exact age but he's about 6 inches long
is there anything wrong with offering him salad everyday? I know they dont eat as much of it when they're little but he readily takes leaves right from my fingers
>>
Im a first time reptile buyer and I want to know what would be good for me in looking at a iguana, chameleon, bull python, or a bearded dragon i love them all but dont know what would be the best first one?
>>
>>2272583
Not a chameleon or an iguana.
>>
>>2272615
Why not thoes if I may ask
>>
File: 10gxmo8.jpg (91KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
10gxmo8.jpg
91KB, 1600x1200px
Pet the fattums, but beware, the fattums stands vigilant and will violently defend its fats from petting.
>>
>>2272333

As long as it's getting the required nutrients from protein as its main source of calories it doesn't matter. If you're asking if you can disregard a proper diet because you like that it eats iceberg lettuce form your hands then hell no.
>>
>>2272626
Chameleons are basically equivalent to fish in that you can't touch them period, need specific environment requirements, and they will stress easily so much, they could die from it; except stationary and hiding instead of darting and swimming around. Not a beginner friendly reptile but if you do tons of research to over prepare for it and something like that is up your alley, go for it

Iguanas grow huge as fuck, need constant, various fresh foods as their main diet, and can be aggressive as fuck. Bites and lashes from these things hurt like a bitch, with bites cause a surprising amount of damage. Most people give them up for a reason.

Both can be kept but obviously not for everyone, hence there's much more beginner friendly reptiles tht are much easier to manage
>>
File: leachiebite.jpg (54KB, 500x352px) Image search: [Google]
leachiebite.jpg
54KB, 500x352px
Gecko can't bite you twice at the same time - time for petting fats!
>>
>>2272703
Thank you and with that being said would you suggest a ball python or a bearded dragon?
>>
>>2264743
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttubemeshtests.htm
>>
File: tokaybite.jpg (35KB, 294x392px)
tokaybite.jpg
35KB, 294x392px
Nummnum
>>
>>2272715
It's up to you whether you want a snek or a lizard bro. Both are beginner friendly with decently simplistic requirements at times. Ball pythons are sometimes finicky eaters though
>>
>>2272715
Bearded dragons will be okay during the day and are not much for hiding, so you will see them often.

Ball pythons are nocturnal, rarely if ever come out during the day, shy, like to hide in their burrows pretty much constantly.

However, beardies are a little more work in terms of care because of their diet; they need fresh vegetables and live insects. Balls on the other hand only need to eat a frozen rodent once every week or two, although they are prone to long periods of fasting and may not take food for one month+ sometimes.

If you're interested in snakes, there are easier and more entertaining options. Corn snakes and king snakes are a lot more active and almost never go off food. Both common and inexpensive. Children's pythons and Spotted pythons also same deal, slightly less common but still reasonably inexpensive. For something smaller there are Rosy boas and western Hognose. All are simple to care for. All are more active than BPs.
>>
>>2272744
correction
*bearded dragons will be AWAKE during the day...
>>
>>2272708
baby leachie bite adorable and cute. Adult leachie bite not so adorable and stings pretty good. Adult tokay bite will usually break the skin because they like to yank and they don't let go.
>>
>>2272749
I have a monster action figure I use to get my adult leachie into a biting mood. She flips the fuck out whenever she sees it, and tries to eat my fingers.

I've heard trachyrhynchus is even nastier than a pissed off adult leachie.
>>
File: rare tetsucabra.jpg (35KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
rare tetsucabra.jpg
35KB, 450x450px
>>2272763
>Monster Hunter action figure

It better be of a hunter
>>
>>2272763
Kek, photos please
>>
>>2272583
Ball python or bearded dragon.
Both stay relatively small and are very docile 99% of the time. Also helps both have relatively easy care and are more forgiving on errors.
Chameleons need an oxymoronic enclosure thats a bit pricy since you need a wire cage+misting system to keep it from getting RI Also require daily feedings of insects
Iguanas almost always start out defensive with tailwhiping and gesturing, they can grow out of it but they will always act like a spoiled prince
They also grow large need a salad everyday and can get aggressive during breeding season which a fully grown iguana can send you to the hospital for stitches and leave you covered in welts and bruises from tail whiping Their enclosure also is going to be alot more than someone is willing to give more often than not and they also require a bit higher humidity than most herps.
Balls can be kept in plastic tubs until they slow down growing and just require 1 rat every ~2weeks or so. Extremely cost effective since they just need a form of heat a water bowl and something as disposable as a cardboard box to hide in.
Beardies dont really require humidity beyond making sure it doesnt get high they need a bit more space than ball pythons and require vegetables+insects to feed every day.They do require much higher temperatures and a uvb which I neglected to mention that iguanas and chameleons also need but snakes do not.

I own a ball python an iguana and worked at a pet store that sold chameleons and beardies(although we really should not have had chameleons) so feel free to ask about anything I may have neglected to mention
>>
File: taji_pop.jpg (303KB, 900x600px)
taji_pop.jpg
303KB, 900x600px
>>2272789
It's some old clive barker thing, 'the sabbaticus'. Every single gecko I've kept has fucking hated the sight of it, and most of em went into full on attack mode just seeing it.

>>2272797
I'll take some photos tomorrow. For now, have another fat gecko that needs its fat belly petted.
>>
Rate my snake, her name is Erebus
>>
File: 20161201_184416.jpg (3MB, 2660x1495px)
20161201_184416.jpg
3MB, 2660x1495px
>>2272817
>>
>>2272818
9/10 would snuggle with
>>
>>2264735
What's a cheap, relatively simple to own and maintain yet still exotic and exciting to own (preferably carnivorous) pet for a starter? Size doesn't matter that much either.
>>
>tfw we got red tails in our store and now i want one
fuck man, I gotta check if they're BBC or BCI though

>>2273011
do you want a snake or a lizard?
>>
>>2273011
Ive been pretty happy with my anole enclosure.
Have a green and brown both female. The green learned to take food from tongs from me in 3 days and its neat to watch them leap from hiding if I just drop a few crickets in there.
>>
>>2272818
nice bracelet
>>
In the case of a blackout, should I have Heat Packs or something to keep herps (in my case, leos) warm?
>>
>>2273279
if winter blackouts are a real concern in your area
yes
or get a generator i guess
>>
Is there a species of snek that just likes to be held and socialized?

I can't really see me getting a noodle fish, especially if it just hates being touched.
>>
>>2273017
Probably a lizard, I have had snakes in the past
>>
>>2273019
Yeah I'm really considering some green anoles, they look like fun and are super good looking
>>
>>2273388
nope
at best you get ball pythons and boas that will tolerate it
no snake will actively seek out affection
some may eventually associate you with being able to explore but thats about it
>>
File: Tunnel Snek.jpg (145KB, 800x572px) Image search: [Google]
Tunnel Snek.jpg
145KB, 800x572px
>>
>>2273438
TUNNEL SNAKES RULE
>>
File: 1480795680731.jpg (160KB, 1108x1477px)
1480795680731.jpg
160KB, 1108x1477px
Charlie says hi /an/
>>
File: 324767695.jpg (14KB, 518x284px) Image search: [Google]
324767695.jpg
14KB, 518x284px
>>2273717
>Claptrap Pop figure
cute gek tho
>>
Is it strange that my beardies tail sheds at a different time than the rest of his body?
First his tail greys out and comes off, and then a coupe days later his body does the same
>>
>>2273782
Pretty normal. Beardies always shed in stages like that as opposed to geckos and snakes who do it all in one go.
>>
File: IMG_1006.jpg (449KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1006.jpg
449KB, 1080x1920px
Got this little dragon a couple months ago (when I took the pic.) I'm working on a desert theme for his tank. His name is Walt unless he was sexed wrong.
>>
>>2264737
>>2264739
This. They know who is the alpha. And it is not us.
>>
File: WhitesTreeFrogs.jpg (117KB, 620x836px) Image search: [Google]
WhitesTreeFrogs.jpg
117KB, 620x836px
>>
This is Orion giving a shit about christmas. Are your herps ready for christmas?
>>
File: christmaspython.jpg (50KB, 720x407px)
christmaspython.jpg
50KB, 720x407px
>>2274809

ha! No i don't think they have much concept of it. I guess they associate it with the few weeks in winter when there are twinkly coloured lights outside the window at night.
>>
File: Spear_1445.jpg (47KB, 402x321px) Image search: [Google]
Spear_1445.jpg
47KB, 402x321px
>>
File: DSC_3077 (2).jpg (1MB, 3640x2513px)
DSC_3077 (2).jpg
1MB, 3640x2513px
took a few pics of my gek, Ico
I think this came out well
>>
>>2274899

CUTE!!
>>
>>2274809
I'd like to help fritz decorate for the holidays but after watching him attempt to eat part of the paper towel im keeping him on, i think i'll hold off on that
>>
File: image.jpg (607KB, 2448x2448px)
image.jpg
607KB, 2448x2448px
My little nugget
I have nightmares a lot
But since I got him a year and a half ago
My nightmares switched from normal bullshit to losing this guy
I had one the other night where some weird alien lizard broke into his cage and made him lose his tail
He retreated in his cave and held one arm out as in to distance himself or keep the other at bay
I tried to save him and I did but I got bit by the alien and it hurt like fuck it woke me up
And I woke up paralyzed
One of those
I was too pissed to freak out so I went back to bed

I have dreams where I look in and he's hollow and made of wax
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2275024
Something I let him fuck off and lizard proof the thing for a day when I'm out and I always come of him chilling next to heater (put a hide there)
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2275025
Rise and shine
We woke up at the same time
He just opened his eyes as I came closer
I was staring at him with his head poked out and eyes closed for a good five minutes
>>
hey guys,

i'm kinda into diy and embedded systems stuff, also am looking into the whole reptile keeping thing for more than a year now (i'm really afraid to start though).

I was thinking about developing a modular system which would help automizing misting, lighting, heating and maybe even water exchange when needed.

You could group different types of equipment(as in lamps, misting systems, heaters) together, so you could keep track which enclosure has which.
Also the settings for each could be set over a web-based user interface.

Would a system like this be useful for keeping reptiles?
>>
>>2275178
Sure. I suppose that would involve a timer for lights, thermostat for heating devices, misting systems like the Mist King, and so on.

Water exchange probably not necessary unless you have amphibians that need a water feature.
>>
>>2275153
lol, leos always look so groggy right when they wake up. My late leo used to do it one eye at a time; one eye open for a few minutes before getting around to opening the second one.
>>
>>2275178
>Would a system like this be useful for keeping reptiles
Yeah
>>
Took a cranwelli 10 days ago. Still doesnt eat. Should i worry?
>>
Has anyone ever had their cleanup crew for bioactive substrate escape?

I've noticed some of the earth worms climbing the walls of the enclosure and there's like a small gap where the two glass pane doors overlap which makes me think I could get some of my crew escaping.

What do you do to stop it?
>>
>>2275316

double check temps and humidity. what are you feeding it?

>>2275413
No but I only use springtails and pillbugs for that. Oh, and sometimes phoenix worms but the geckos eat those when they turn in to soldier flies anyway.
>>
Hello again wonderful /herp/, I am the anon from >>2267764 and >>2267778 and today I took my snek to the vet! He stopped the hissing thing but he's been yawning a bit more than usual and not eating (weird for him) so I just wanted peace of mind.

The Snek doctor said he looks good other than his spit might be a bit thicker than it should be, he's probably fine but may have a low grade sickness which should resolve itself in 2-4 weeks of extra heat.
He was very nice and knowledgeable the only weird thing was he was recommending a basking lamp to get the air temp to like 110 in the day and a heat pad in the hide for like 80-85 at night..seems very different from what I've read online. He didn't like my 90 degree hide and 85 degree hide set up. With 80 air temp. Do you have any thoughts on this /herp/ everything I have read about bps say heating pads are where they should get most of their heat from...but this guys legit he's a snake expert who has like consulted for zoos and stuff...but maybe that is more for other snakes and less for balls as a species?

He also said my normal BP was probably imported from the Wild as "there's no money in breeding so it's cheaper to just wild catch" which also goes against everything I've ever read about the species
>>
File: IMG_1194.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px)
IMG_1194.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
DIO

http://youtu.be/WA1Mj6bEnhk

also does anyone have any custom builds for turtles or links to any? Looking for stuff like vid related
>>
>>2275447
if you're trying to get extra heat, then yes a lamp is the fastest way to do it
on a normal day to day basis 110 is waaaaaay too high

is yours a normal? thats probably why he thinks its wild caught. He's right about there being no money in normals, its why they're sold for 30-50 bucks to get them out quickly

he kinda sounds like the kind of guy who probably hasnt looked up any recent information about herp keeping since he got his license
>>
>>2275451
Thanks for the reassurance about the lamp, yeah he already has a lamp in addition to his 2UTHs set at different temps, I'll increase the lamp slightly but definitely not that high

That he was talking about normals makes waaaaaay more sense, he said balls so I assumed he meant them all, normals only makes sense
>>
File: 20161205_231637.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161205_231637.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>2265527
I fed it two rats since you guys last helped me out
How does snek look now?
Fat snek is cute snek
>>
>>2275442
Around 26 celsius degrees during day and 21 during nighttime. Humidity is 70/80%.
Trying to feed it crickets and galleria mellonella.
>>
File: 20161207_001030-1.jpg (1MB, 2110x2370px)
20161207_001030-1.jpg
1MB, 2110x2370px
Holy shit, why would anyone get any other pet that isent a reptile
Also, rate my herp
>>
>>2275449
I know BauriBob has a great build for a tank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeVlsulWKIY
>>
>>2275500
actual companionship?
>>
>>2271246
I know turtles (diamondback terrapins) that try to swim in a single direction and think they can keep going when they swim against a clear wall, but if I put my hand it front then it stops and swims in a different direction.

I think it's just a thing with their vision, and they think they're swimming forward forever.
>>
>>2271418
dehydrated will have kind of wrinkly skin that is loose around where the body turns
>>
>>2273404
green anoles are clever little guys. they live in my backyard, and I like to catch them and watch them for a bit.
>>
>>2275500
is he/she a sunglow?
>>
File: IMG-20161206-WA0002.jpg (101KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20161206-WA0002.jpg
101KB, 1600x900px
>>2275024
I have nightmares too about losing my Orion...he's still a baby and I love him a lot.
>>
>>2275447
>there's no money in breeding so it's cheaper to just wild catch

Yeah no. Because of the way BP genetics works there will always been normals produced unless you are making specific pairings between snakes that cannot produce normals because of their genes. It is actually MORE expensive to catch and sell wild caught normals than it is to produce them in captive conditions.
>>
>>2275482

Looks good!
>>
>>2275487

Hmm... are you attempting to feed in the tank or in a separate container? Try changing to the other and see if that gets froggy interested. Also try feeding at a different time of day.
>>
>>2275449

HOLY DIVER
YOU'VE BEEN DOWN TOO LONG IN THE MIDNIGHT SEA
>>
>>2269458
Godamn jelly, did you get your materials from bio genesis exotics?
>>
>>2271207
It's giant leaf tailed, satanics don't have those frill things under the jaw
>>
>>2275024
I had a nightmare where a ball python fell from my hand and it got mutilated on the ground. I think it's the fear of losing our herp bros due to em being smol and fragile that's causing this.
>>
File: humidifier.jpg (26KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
humidifier.jpg
26KB, 640x360px
>live in Canada
>keep tropical geckos because fuck you mother nature i keep whatever pets i like
>this is the first year I have had a hygrometer out in the room to get a general reading in addition to the hygrometers in the tanks themselves
>cold snap
>room humidity is lol 18%

So i bought a humidifer for the room. Hopefully this bumps it to at least 35%. The tanks are stable at desired humidity when room humidity is at or above that.
>>
>>2275676
meanwhile...
>Orion the gecko falls asleep in his cave on top of his heatmat
>He dreams of eating 2" tall humans
>Especially dreams of eating a 2" version of his owner
>His little paws twitch in his sleep and you ooh and aah and pet his head

This is the best thing about keeping geckos, apart from getting them angry enough to bite action figures you put in their tanks.
>>
here is my snake
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYGASyRMcb4 this is just him eating, idk if u guys wana see this or not
>>
>>2275851
Naaah he just has this star hanging from the roof :,D the shitty figures are on the roof of the tank
>>
File: DSC_0445.jpg (2MB, 3008x2000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0445.jpg
2MB, 3008x2000px
>>2275024
>>2275773
I have a lot of nightmares about my herps, too.

The most recent one I had a dream I asked one of my friends to pick me up from work, and they apparently didn't like that so they broke into my room, released all of my snakes and destroyed their cages/equipment. Last thing I remember I was looking for my boa constrictor (pic related), and was looking in tunnels and all kinds of things.

I woke up and thought I was in the middle of a thunderstorm so I went to check on the snakes in the snake room and when I walked around the corner of the boa's enclosure he was in full-on defense mode. A decent-sized 6.5' boa trying his damnedest to crawl up his wall away from me, striking at me, and eventually hissing. I've had him 5 years and he's never once gotten this worked up. The worst he's ever done was bit me on the arm when I manhandled him, and that was the end of it. Barely left a mark. So needless to say, I was a bit spooked (mainly by the juxtaposition of my dream and the same snake freaking out when I woke up).

Oh yeah, and there wasn't a thunderstorm, it wasn't so much as raining.

I think the worst one, though was a 3-part dream I had where one of my boas started showing signs of being ill so I put them in quarantine. In that dream, it just looked like an RI or something. In the next dream, I had somehow forgotten about the snake for 2-3 months and when I went to check on it it was slightly underweight and dehydrated, and it looked like it had gone blind. In the final dream the whole snake had like putrified or something, its body had turned clear and it's back half was nothing but pus in a bag, while in the front half you could see through its muscles down to where the bone was just like melting away and it's eyes were big and heavy with that weird pus stuff.

I can say I'm glad that particular set of dreams are over...
>>
>>2275656
Actually I have no idea, I assume she is a failed spottless breed. A friend of my sisters works at a petsmart and I got her for free because someone surrendered her with a bunch of free shit
>>
Hey fellow herpers.

I'm a fairly good DIY kinda person, and wanted to turn my hobby into something to do on the side. I like to make reptile enclosures and racks.

If you were to go to a reptile show with the intent to buy a new enclosure or rack for your scaley friends would you mind answering a few questions?

1. Would you prefer to buy from a small business, or someone like Animal Plastics?

2. When it comes to your enclosure/rack, which is more appealing?
A--Melamine and cheap?
B--Expanded PVC with appropriate price.

3. Are you more interested in racks or enclosures?

4. Last but not least, if enclosures are your thing, would you be interested in custom inserts for them, and if racks are your thing is it important that they have heat tape already built in?

Thank you for your time!
>>
>>2276036
>whatever is cheaper but not structurally compromised
>Depends on species I wouldnt keep high humidity herps in melamine
>enclosures I usually build my own but they got destroyed in flood
>I wouldnt be against custom inserts but would have to see them first and to add on the other half alot of people will pay extra for pre installed heat tape because they fear messing up
>>
>>2276036

When it comes to racks, something like this, adjusting as much the price as possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyY7vKonFXM

Anything but that kind of thing would be stupid imo: wood is way too heavy and has humidity problems and aluminium are way too expensive.

What nobody does and I'd like to see how it works is modular racks: that you can add or remove full rows, or a tub that is twice the rest of the rest and you can exchange. Something with flexibility in use, that allows you to adapt to the snake growth.
>>
File: 1238221-left-1.jpg (135KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1238221-left-1.jpg
135KB, 1500x1500px
So just a bit ago I got into my leopard geckos cage to top off her water supply when I saw a big nasty chunk of sphagnum moss smashed together with shed skin laying outside my leo's humid hide. I noticed that she had been acting lethargic, but I thought it was just because I had accidentally let my room get a little cooler than I usually do.

From what it looks like, she was shedding her skin and accidentally swallowed a big chunk of moss in the process, and then threw the whole load back up.

Past the moss, nothing else is loose in her enclosure, no other small loose substrate. Everything is else is either tile or larger aquarium rocks.

She's also hanging out on the ledge thing (pic related) in her tank, which I've never seen her do before. Her pooping spot is on top of it, but I've never actually seen her chilling up there, she's usually under it on her hot spot or in the humid hide.

So is she just not feeling good after regurgitating all that crap, or could there be a bigger medical issue here as a result? If the latter, how much am I looking at in vet costs? I have no problem taking her to the vet, but I'd like to know what I could be looking at first.
>>
>>2276026
Looks really cute!
>>
>>2276759
Don't know anything about geckos but I took my ball python to the vet earlier this week and the consultation cost was $65. I live in an expensive/high cost of living area
>>
File: 2016-12-09 09.03.31.jpg (973KB, 1230x1231px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-09 09.03.31.jpg
973KB, 1230x1231px
Wow this board is slow. Posted here a week or two ago and decided to see if there was a new herp thread. Nope, same one. Here's another pic of my juvenile hypo brooks king, Freddie.
>>
File: 20161209_111620.jpg (1MB, 1689x1536px)
20161209_111620.jpg
1MB, 1689x1536px
>>2276759
So I took her to the vet and it turns out she has a decent sized chunk of sphagnum moss lodged in the upper part of her digestive tract. This nigga managed to swallow a FUCKTON of this stuff, she already vomited up a huge chunk before.

So basically I had 2 options: pay $600 for an operation to remove it with a low chance of survival, or put her on a concentrated sugar laxative prescription and force feeding regimen to get her digestive tract back in operation in hopes that she can either pass what's left of the moss through her feces, or vomit it back up.

Anybody go through anything like this? I'm pretty damn upset, I think it just seems unfair in the universe that I go through so many precautions to take the absolutely best care of my lizard I can, and have this happen to me when there are all those people put there that take shit care of their leos and have them live forever.

I guess I'm just upset. I love my little Starburst
>>
>>2276880
Buy like 20 more with the $600 and eat the sick one
>>
>>2276880
That sucks. Sorry anon. Best of luck.
>>
File: 20161209_163138.jpg (1MB, 2896x2896px)
20161209_163138.jpg
1MB, 2896x2896px
Top picture is from yesterday, bottom is from today
The cloudy eyes went away about 3 days ago
Is snek stuck in its shed? The fuck do I do?
>>
>>2277087
It just takes a while
>>
>>2277091
You guys have made me so damn paranoid about humidity and dehydration that I get nervous of it being this way for so long.
>>
>>2277094
Is sneks skin healthy? Were the previous sheds good? Then you should be fine, just be sure to mist and all that jazz.
>>
>>2264985
I have a red tail boa and I use this for her, very good stuff
>>
>>2277132
This is my first shed with her
This >>2275482 is her a few days before the blueing
>>
>>2277135
Well if she's cleared up just wait some if it's a whole skin then she's good.
>>
File: IMG_2606.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2606.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
>>2277087
Your bp is severely dehydrated and currently has stuck shed.

You're going to have to soak it in lukewarm water for 20-30 minutes until the shed loosens up and comes off. Or wrap it in a warm damp towel until the shed comes off.

This is what my bp looks like deep in shed, no wrinkled skin and beyond a slight milky tone you wouldn't be able to tell he's shedding. He shed a few days after this photo was taken.
>>
How fast do turtles grow? I was thinking of getting a red eared slider but i only have a 20 g long for now. I know they need 10 gallons fof every inch of shell and i know where to buy a baby turtle
>>
File: Bug.jpg (261KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
Bug.jpg
261KB, 1500x1125px
Say hello to Bug

Bug is now hibernating. But will post more pictures in the spring, or whenever he decides to wake.
>>
>>2277991
When they hibernate, are they hard to wake up?
>>
>>2277991
Reptiles brumate not hibernate, unlike with hibernation they're going to be fairly alert and active just sluggish.
>>
>>2277250
Really quickly if you overfeed them and keep them too warm.
Otherwise, I'd say at the very least anywhere between a few months to almost a year to stay in a 20g. (maye even past a year, it generally varies on each turtle) They grows faster when they're younger and as they get older, will grow slower
>>
>>2277991
What flavour of lizard is Bug?
>>
I've noticed the springtails I recently introduced to my snail enclosure have become quite numerous, some are crawling on the snails when they go down.

Think it bothers them or it could harm them by going in the breathing hole?

Also, how long before springtails tend to calm down on the population? I also have woodlice in there.
>>
>>2278325
Should be okay? Springtails aren't carnivorous so they shouldn't do anything to harm your snail.
>>
NEW THREAD

>>2278346

>>2278346

>>2278346

>>2278346

>>2278346
>>
>>2278299
Chacoan Argentine Tegu
>>
>>2278151
I know it's brumation, but a lot of forums/caresheets seem to just use hibernation, so I just defaulted with using that. As for staying fairly active... no. Depends on the 'gu but generally they dig a hole and you don't see them for a few months. Wouldn't quite call that active.
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 78

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.