[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/herp/ Reptile & Amphibian General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 73

Christmas edition because this thread will probably still be up on the 25th

previous thread >>2264735

/herp/ reptile classifieds for finding breeders of various scaled and sundry creatures

>kingsnake.com
>faunaclassifieds.com
>reptilescanada.com (Canadian breeders)
>Also check to see if there are any annual reptile shows/expos in your area as these are good places to find good animals from good breeders at partial discount

/herp/ officially official all purpose care sheet of wonder and magic

>sand a shit
>use a thermostat
>read all the caresheets
>set up your tank before you get your herp
>regulate temps & humidity levels prior to herp arrival
>do not fuck with (handle) your herp for at least 7 days after bringing it home and ideally wait until herp has eaten at least one meal (for snakes), two meals for lizards, frogs, etc.
>PVC tanks are way better for most applications and worth the extra money
>it is best to avoid chain pet stores when looking to purchase live animals as mass breeder suppliers are not especially careful about health and sound genetics... it often saves you money long term to spend a little extra up front to get a healthy animal
>>
File: Christmas_Monitor1.jpg (332KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Christmas_Monitor1.jpg
332KB, 1280x853px
>>
File: Christmas_Monitor2.jpg (267KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Christmas_Monitor2.jpg
267KB, 1280x853px
>>
File: IMG_2343.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2343.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
This is my shiny ball python. Still working on getting him to gain weight back from his fast last year. He's been eating small rats every 2 weeks for 2-3 months now, but has only gained a handful of grams. I'll see how he does eating a small weekly, but in the meantime I'm just glad he hasn't really refused any food in just over a year now. Only time he has in the past year was when I was feeding him medium rats. All I had on hand were medium rats and I wanted to see if he'd eat rats before I ordered more. After 2 or 3 medium rats spaced 3 weeks apart he began refusing food. I gave him about a month off and offered a small and he took it immediately, mediums are just too big for him. Size-wise they're smaller than his girth but he starts refusing to eat if I try feeding him mediums.
>>
>>2278364
Yep, that's pretty normal. Some sneks have preferences about size in terms of what they're comfortable swallowing, even if the actual weight of the rodent is appropriate. Medium rats are a big meal for any BP though. Smalls will be fine for the rest of his life.
>>
>>2278364
>>2278368
balls tend to be more fussy about food than other snakes as well
>>
File: IMG_3091.jpg (868KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3091.jpg
868KB, 1600x1200px
>>2278368
Oh he's not fussy about the size of food whatsoever, I went through a phase in my snake ownership where I thought I had to feed my snakes as much as possible, and he's swallowed a full-sized large rat before.

What he's doing when I feed him mediums is regulating his food intake. Physically, the mediums are not too large, but metabolically, yes, they are.

Believe me, I know smalls are plenty for ball pythons I tell that to people all the time. I was just feeding mediums to see if he would eat a rat in the first place, and all I had on hand were mediums at the time. He was also the only snake at the right size to eat small rats at the time, so I wasn't going to buy small rats just for him if they were going to go to waste.

Pic is him eating a large rat. I do NOT feed ANY of my snakes this large of meals anymore, it just goes to show you what they can eat and that he's not shy at all.
>>
File: IMG_1252.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1252.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2278399
And this is what him eating a medium looks like.

They don't leave a bulge, but they're still too big to be feeding him on a regular basis. He's been eating smalls every 2 weeks regularly since.
>>
Lurker here, i have had everything but food ready for a snake for almost a year.

I want to make sure i can care for him/her before getting one, right now basic life is challenging because of depression.
Should i get one now and risk bad care or wait untill i get my life fixed?
>>
>>2278528
Get your other stuff in order first. Pet ownership will just add stress if you're not ready for it.
>>
>>2278528
on the other hand i'd like to point out that taking care of a pet can help people with depression.
It gives you something to focus on and care about.

If you find yourself unable or not caring about taking care of it though, you have to be able to realize that and find someone to give it away to
>>
what kind of treats should i use for my bearded dragon to get him used to being held?
>>
Newly-found reptile enthusiast here.
I'm seriously considering getting a snake. but I have never owned any kind of reptile before, so all I know is what I have read online over the past few days. I plan on doing some more research before going any further, since it seems like quite a commitment, what with some snakes living more than twenty years, but at the moment I just want to know what kind of snake I should get (if I do). I've read that ball pythons make excellent pets and are good for first-time owners, but also that they can 'stress' easily. I want to be able to take my snake out of its enclosure and hold it/play with it frequently, so this has me worried, as I wouldn't want to scare the poor thing. Am I reading into this 'stress' wrong, or should I go for a different snake if I want regular contact?
>>
>>2278673
How frequently?
>>
>>2278673
depends what you mean by frequently
no snake should be held like that on a daily basis

ball pythons can stress, and when they do they're prone to stop eating for a while, but they are very hardy snakes and there's a reason they are so popular

if you're thinking about a ball though you need to be aware that they are nocturnal and you will almost never see it out and about while you're awake

if you want something you can watch, consider getting a corn or a king (or other colubrids, most are diurnal)

depending on size consider other semi large constrictors with better feeding responses
rosy boas, spotted or childrens pythons, carpet pythons, boa constrictors or their localities

dont be afraid to shop around. I don't regret my ball, but i do wish i had looked around some more instead of just jumping right into the "beginner snakes"
>>
>>2278676
Taking it out of the enclosure every one or two days at least.
>>
>>2278678
Ah, I forgot to update the page so didn't see this response. Thanks for the detailed replies. I'll have to look into it some more but now it seems like maybe a snake isn't for me. Are lizards more receptive to being interacted with? I would still be happy to only pat it on a regular basis and occasionally take it out though, but since I'm looking at a long term pet, I'll have to think about it.
>>
How would you go about retroactively putting in pebbles at the bottom of an already planted enclosure to stop waterlogging?

The space isn't waterlogged yet but because it's a high humidity enclosure it probably could become so. I can't realistically just take the substrate out because that would release a multitude of life into my house and there's already rooted plants.
>>
If my beardie hasn't pooed for a week, and after bringing out in the sun it does a urea white portion of poo, does this automatically mean the dark poo will follow it?

Does white always precede brown?
>>
>>2278760
you should only be handling that lizard to soak it, and probably not that either.
>>
>>2278554
Waxworms but use very sparingly. If there's such a thing as junk food for lizards, it's waxworms.
>>
>>2278714
You can install a couple pvc pipes to provide drainage allow the perimeter of the tank. Basically you drill a line of holes along the bottom and side to allow water to flow in, cover these with a screen so substrate stays out. Add a few holes along the top to allow evaporation. Place pipe along wall of tank with 90% of the pipe under substrate. Leave top uncovered.
>>
>>2278680
Lizards are not any better in that regard. Recommend you get a corn snake. They're pretty relaxed about handling, never go off food. Easy care. The same is true of children's and spotted pythons although those are a little harder to find and a bit more expensive.

If handling is kept to 2-3 days per week you'll be fine.
>>
>>2278530
>>2278535
Thanks for the input, after good night sleep i decided to get my life together before messing with snakes.
I dont want to risk anyone else suffering because me and getting a new home for a snake would be really hard due to my shut in personality
>>
>>2278777
why? what does handling have to do with what ur talking about?
>>
>>2278817
what does a source of stress have to do with the consequences of stress? stress. stress is what what it has to do with it
>>
File: 13.jpg (33KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
33KB, 600x400px
Hey all, I'm considering getting back into the hobby and wanted some suggestions on what type of lizard to get. In the past I have successfully kept a Green Basilisk, cresties, pixie frogs, beardies and a Dumeril's monitor along with a few different snakes. I loved the monitor, he ended up being super tame to the point he could free roam the house and would lay with me while I watched movies and such but I had to get rid of him because of his size. That being said I'd like something similar, preferably a type of monitor, but much smaller. I know Ackies are great but even they might be too big. Not too much info on Timor and Storr's monitors out there so I'm not sure how they are temperament and setup size they would need. Also looked in to steppe runners and they seem fun but I'm not sure if they're exactly what I'm looking for. Open to some other lizard suggestions as well!
>>
>>2278827
I love my Uromastyx he's a total bro and they come in so many cool colors

I'd recommend that or an Ackie monitor I've always wanted one of those
>>
File: 20161127_172826.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20161127_172826.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2278673
Brand new snake owner here myself. About two months in. I'm Gina recommend a corn snake or a king snake if some sort over a ball. They're much less temperamental from what I've read and much easier to care for in aspects of heat and humidity. They also don't seem to mind being handled as much as the balls. Again, not from experience but from what I've read.

Pic is my juvenile hypo brooks kingsnake.
>>
>>2278958
Shit.. Sorry for the retarded sideways pic
>>
>>2278803
But I pet my gecko's fats every night when she comes out of her hidebox. She only tries to bite some of the time.
>>
>>2278958
Thanks for the info. I looked into it some more and and this all seems like sound advice. I think I'll check out some reptile expos so I can talk to experienced owners.
>>
So, most snake owners seem to keep theirs in a vivarium or just large plastic container, but how suitable would a small glasshouse be? Would their be too many problems keeping it at the right temperature during night/winter? I ask because it seems like an ideal situation to more closely observe a snake in and they would surely like a larger area (provided it had plants and an earthen floor).
>>
>>2278679
That's too often. The best practice is 2-3 times a week for 10-30 mins at a time. Then you wait 24-48 hours after a meal, and no handling during sheds. They usually shed every 1-3 months and it takes 1-3 weeks for the process to complete from start to finish.

Although ball pythons are normally shy, sensitive snakes, some are not. If a snake continues to eat normally and doesn't get defensive, it can be impossible to tell they're stressed unless they succumb to an illness. Stress lowers their immune system, increasing their chance of RIs, other infections, and all sorts of things.

Many people do handle as often as daily but it's very much advised against.

>>2279051
Depends on what you mean by glass house.

If you mean glass tanks, they're actually the most popular way to house snakes. Not because they're effective or necessarily good for snakes but because most people start out with pets from pet stores, pet stores sell aquariums and recommend them.

If you mean something like a greenhouse then that seems it would be too hot, or at the very least not offer a proper thermal gradient for them to regulate their body temperature. An actual building would also be difficult to sufficiently secure to keep the snake from escaping, and it would be difficult to find them.

The longer you take to find a snake, the more it stresses them. So, you can provide plenty of space to a reasonable degree.

But I'm not sure exactly what you mean, either.
>>
>>2279104
I did mean a greenhouse, sorry for the confusion. It was more of a passing idea, since an aquarium seems more practical. I guess I just thought it would be neat to simulate their natural environment as much as possible.
>>
>>2279104
Most days when I turn my leachie's light on, I reach in and give her a pet. I don't think it stresses out geckos who have been doing well in captivity for years.

Are snakes different in this regard?
>>
>>2278673
no snake wants to be handled.
>>
>>2279111
I don't think this is strictly true. I think it's almost always true, but there are times when a well-adjusted snake likes to poke around outside it's enclosure for a few minutes.

I might be wrong, I mean it's not like we can ask snakes what they like. They'd just tell us to feed them.
>>
>>2279110
They can become accustomed to being handled, but that doesn't stop them from being stressed when they are overhandled. Each snake has their own level of tolerance, but they can only handle/tolerate so much.

>>2279122
Just because a snake will explore outside its enclosure doesn't mean it enjoys being out of the enclosure. It could be looking for a place to hide, a different warm/moist spot, looking for food, or a mate.

Snakes tolerate handling, they do not want it. Letting them crawl around outside their enclosure is also different from handling them, but that can also stress them, and if allowed outside of their enclosure too much it can make them ill by depriving them of proper humidity or temperatures.

Moderation is the key.
>>
Sometimes they will start to associate being handled with the opportunity to explore parts unknown. Some snakes and lizards do enjoy that and will even come to the front of their tanks to insist upon it (pawing at the glass). It depends on the individual animal. But even in those cases you need to keep the outside adventures fairly short and certainly not every day.
>>
I got a pretty new beardie and I think he wants to dig in something. At night when i turn off his lights he run around for a but and paws at the corners until he gets under one to sleep for the night
now that should be easy enough when i upgrade to a full size tank, but right now i have him on paper towels.
>>
I'm looking at getting a Woma Python for my first snake, as I've read a lot of good things, but I'm concerned about overfeeding. Is it alright to simply follow a recommended feeding schedule, or do I need to be more experienced to avoid overfeeding? Also, I've seen lots of stuff online of people interacting with their ball pythons at day, but I thought they were nocturnal... do snakes have more adaptable sleep cycles in captivity?
>>
File: woma.jpg (176KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
woma.jpg
176KB, 800x600px
>>2279259
Yay why-ma pythin! Nice choice. As long as you follow a recommended feeding schedule for womas and keep an eye on weight it shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>2279259
Also, to second question, no it's not a good idea to be waking your snake up in the middle of the day for handling. Always better to work with their natural sleep/wake cycle.
>>
>>2279259
I've found that balls are much more relaxed and accepting of handling if it is the correct time for them to be awake. I only ever feed/handle at night generally around 9:00-11:00pm and I've never had him refuse food.
Meanwhile the balls that we sold at a petsmart I worked at were constantly being returned (although I think its more of the fault of the people since they buy it and a live mouse from petco same day and expect it to eat even thoughI explicitly told them to just leave it alone for a week or two after getting it home) Alot of them would stress out in our store and go off feeding because of all the retards coming in wanting to hold a snake whoooh so dangerous! all hours of the day.
>>
Anyone else under the impression that snakes are more intelligent than they seem?
>>
>>2279447
Reptiles in general are alot more intelligent than what the average person thinks they are. Especially things like crocodillians and monitors. But it is hard to call snakes intelligent in comparison to things like dogs birds a dolphins. I'm having a hard time articulating the point that they are intelligent but in the grand scheme of things not really.
>>
File: reason2live.png (749KB, 540x1198px) Image search: [Google]
reason2live.png
749KB, 540x1198px
i made this with a pic of my uromastyx
>>
>>2279534
That's real sad and gross
>>
>>2279447
snakes? no
lizards, yes

snakes are pretty dumb, but what they are is efficient and pretty attuned
>>
>>2279552

Right. In so far as ambush and hunting is concerned, they can be pretty clever. Their hunting is a little bit more sophisticated than just sit and wait.

As for the rest of what you usually mean when you talk about intelligence, they are simple and rely so heavily on smell and heat sensing they can forget to use their eyes. eg, strike, swing and a miss, where mouse go??? mouse is still in their field of view.
>>
>Let's be stupidly radical about something
>ITT: Handling hours

95% of snakes couldn't care less about the time. It annoys them in the same degree: the only difference is that they might have the "hunting mode" activated.

Specially with australian pythons, it's stupid to talk about it, since many are just nocturnal depending on the area or weather and many live at day light.
>>
>>2279790
My jungle carpet sleeps curled up all day in the corner or in his hide. He explores around his enclosure at night so that's when I handle him.
I have had to mess with him mid day if he flipped his water over before but he was content to sit around my neck and chill rather than being his usual self that loves to slide up and down my back and chest
>>
Do leapord Geckos fast?
Mine just seems to eat less and less every day, I fees her the same amount every time her food dish is empty, but it seems like the mealworms die off (1 or 2 days later) before she even touches her food. I also keep 3-4 crickets to roam around her cage and they seem to litterally dry out and die before she trys to hunt them, and on a usual day it's only 80-90 degrees in her cage. She used to roam her cage every day for the last three or so months (Before I changed it again) but now she just stays in one hide and sleeps most of they night
>>
>>2280341

if you're nothern hemisphere: it's winter/there's less light/whatever

also, adult leos should really only eat once a week or so. she's probably not hungry.
>>
>>2280366
You are correct about decreased activity in winter.

Feeding frequency for adult leo is every 2-3 days although they may go longer than that between feedings from late November to early March.

To anon who was asking, don't let crickets free roam the talk. You can put them in for a half hour but if they don't get eaten, remove them right away. Uneaten crickets will annoy your gecko and bite occasionally as well. For mealworms, put a chunk of carrot in the dish with them. This will make them more active (to catch the attention of gecko) and will keep them alive if they don't get eaten. Remove and replace with fresh mealworms every 2-3 days.
>>
why does my beardie throw what appears to be a tantrum whenever i turn his lights off for the night?
He just kind of runs around for a while and paws at the glass until he finds a corner to sleep in
>>
File: p1040066.jpg (27KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
p1040066.jpg
27KB, 400x266px
>>2280379
I will do the cricket thing, and the carrot thing. But what happens is that from time to time I will notice the mealworms wriggling as if you just set them on fire as soon as they stop, they die and dry out.
Another unrelated but sorta related question, when a mealworm evolves into it's pupa stage (pic related), can I still feed it my gecko? I haven been so far and I usually just throw them outside
>>
>>2280405
Yeah you can feed pupa and also newly hatched darkling beetles (still white/light bown). Gecko probably won't be interested though.
>>
>>2278673
>falling for the ball python meme

corns and kings are much better
>>
>>2279447
yeah, but I think lizards are smarter.
>>
>>2279543
it's touching and heartfelt!
>>
>>2279447
Snakes are dumb as shit
Except giant snakes and boa constrictors.

>>2280578
>>2280405
My geckos go crazy for pupae
>>
Whats the best way for me to grow super worms?
My beardie is quickly outgrowing the small ones I bought
>>
>>2280726
They grow and breed fastest if kept around 75-80 degrees or so. Check out guides for setting up a breeding colony. It's very simple procedure.
>>
File: IMG_5989.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5989.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
hOPE U LIKE SNAKES EATING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYGASyRMcb4
>>
File: DSC_0198.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0198.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
Hey so my local pet shop started to get in wax worms and I needed to shake my baby bearded dragons diet up, I know they're alright to eat but are they supposed to act as a treat, bad on me for not doing research, pic is my beardy and iguana
>>
>>2280833
>putting them together like that
dont do that, im sure you were supervising but still
also waxworms should be used sparingly, they're very fatty
>>
>>2280836
Don't worry they're actually super comfortable together 90% of the time, the other ten percent is when I feed them their veggies which I've started separating them for, thanks for the info
>>
>>2280833
You know the dragon could make that iguana really sick right
Bearded dragons carry coccidia, which could kill an iguana.
>>
File: 20161215_215359.jpg (418KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161215_215359.jpg
418KB, 2048x1152px
Question: my leopard gecko seems to have some shredded skin stuck near his eye. What do?
>>
File: longneck sex3.jpg (200KB, 655x924px) Image search: [Google]
longneck sex3.jpg
200KB, 655x924px
>>
File: longneck sex2.jpg (173KB, 805x552px) Image search: [Google]
longneck sex2.jpg
173KB, 805x552px
>>
File: Ducky.jpg (238KB, 705x891px) Image search: [Google]
Ducky.jpg
238KB, 705x891px
>>
File: T-sex.jpg (222KB, 629x885px) Image search: [Google]
T-sex.jpg
222KB, 629x885px
>>
>>2280930
Increase humidity in humid hide. Soak gecko in warm water to help stuck shed. Obviously don't dunk the poor thing in the water, just let it walk around in some lukewarm water in a plastic container for a few minutes.
>>
>>2280955
Couple safety tips for this;

Keep water level very shallow. Maybe 1cm deep is plenty. Water temperature should be slightly cooler than lukewarm, like room temperature. If you have an IR thermometer 75-80 degrees F is good.
>>
My baby cranwelli finally ate a cricket. Thank you anon from the previous general for the tips.
>>
>>2278346

i have a beardie dragon that is a juvenile right now, and i have him in a 40 gallon breeder, and he is okay with that for now it seems.

but i want to get him into a 80-100 gallon tank size within a few months, and i was wondering what are some good options that you would recommend

I was thinking about building one, but i have no idea where to start, but i have heard its a good route to take. there isnt too much reliable information ive found online, especially on where to get the tools materials needed to build one.
>>
>>2281309

Easiest material to use for DIY is melamine. It's a coated particle board. Pretty cheap. Basically you're just building a big box, installing 1/4" acrylic for the front door/window, the cutting out holes and installing vents and so on. There are lots of tutorials on youtube to show how to do this.

If you want to be a little more lazy about it, you can order a large kitchen cabinet to the size you want from Ikea or something, assemble that, add a solid piece of melamine to the back of it, and then just install your front door and vents. Seal with silicone. Install light fixtures inside.
>>
getting a retic tomorrow, can't wait
any ideas for morphs? Thinking about getting a tiger as my first
>>
I'm torn between a bearded dragon and leopard gecko.

From what I've seen, Leopard Geckos seem to be more active, but are nocturnal and will hide most of the day so interaction would be limited.

Bearded Dragons are out more often but they spend most of their time basking or just sitting still. They are larger and more robust though and a little more welcoming to being handled.

Are there people out there who own(ed) both and would like to chime in?
>>
hows this cutie
>>
Not very chirstmas like but i wana share my crab too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1KUDI336XY
>>
>>2281517
as the owner of 3 leos and 1 bearded dragon, you are dead wrong about activity
while the leos are easier to keep, the beardie will be way more fun
get a beardie
>>
>>2281518
Festive/10
>>
>>2281517
Get a rhacodactylus leachianus
>>
>>2281517
Have you considered crested geckos?
>>
File: download.jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
6KB, 300x168px
/herp/, I found my leachianus dead today. She just saw the vet last month and got a perfect bill of health, but she became egg bound and it killed her quickly. I've never felt so sad in my life. I just want my leachie back. :(
>>
File: IMG_20151016_220118.jpg (482KB, 1080x1121px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151016_220118.jpg
482KB, 1080x1121px
>>2281623
pic related is leachie. feels bad, guys. :(
>>
>>2281623
I had the same with a ball I got, looked fine and one day I came in and was dead bleeding from the nose/mouth
think it was an RI but it died suddenly so I'm not sure, it ate literally the day before it died (f/t)
>>
>>2281633
It's so painful when it's unexpected.
>>
>>2281623
What was her name anon?
>>
>>2281697
Sadie
>>
File: grand-4.jpg (537KB, 1500x778px) Image search: [Google]
grand-4.jpg
537KB, 1500x778px
>>2281706
Here's to Sadie. Always sad to hear the death of a beloved herp
>>
File: IMG_20151017_204905.jpg (2MB, 2304x2880px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151017_204905.jpg
2MB, 2304x2880px
>>2281713
Thanks anon. She was a great gecko.
>>
>>2281476
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIVEXOTIC-VIVA-TERRESTRIAL-VIVARIUMS-WOODEN-TERRARIUM-WITH-CABINET-REPTILE/191847746686?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3Da33be36e3db44b49b0a34eda9499d868%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D191847728960

what do you think of this for my beardie?
>>
im so attached to my little beardie

i actually have bad dreams of him dying

i dont want this day to come
>>
>>2282176
meant for
>>2281820
>>
>>2282172
It looks like it should be just fine to be honest judging from the pictures
>>
>>2281624
aww poor little lizard :(

leachies are so cute
>>
is there a certain color reptiles dont like?

or a color they prefer?

building a vivarium for my beardie

I want to go with a dark color'd wood

but im wondering if they would prefer a brighter desert looking yellow ish wood

what do you guys think?
>>
>>2281623
im so sorry friend

i love and cherish my reptile

its painful to lose a friend
>>
>>2282509
They don't care. A dark wood will be fine.
>>
File: IMG_0703.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0703.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
my new sneke
>>
File: IMG_0705.jpg (188KB, 1089x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0705.jpg
188KB, 1089x1936px
my other new sneke
>>
>>2282637
i love my sand boa her name is Thalia

they're so cute
>>
is a ( Dimensions (LxDxH): 115 x 49 x 56cm ) ( all CM ) size tank

good enough for the rest of my beardies life?
>>
>>2281623
>eggbound
This is why I'm not buying female reptiles unless I have a male/want to start breeding
>>
>>2282855
sounds about right
>>
>>2282877
its like 75-80 gallon

i also have the choice of getting a 54x24x19 inch tank, which is like 100 gallon

is another 20 gallons a big deal? i dont have too much room in my living quarters
>>
>>2281706
Huh, where'd you come up with the name?

I have a leachie named Sadie as well.
>>
Should I be worried if my adult BTS goes for a week and a half without doing a shit and then suddenly blasts out a giant, ungodly triple-decker turd?
>>
>>2282861
It is a rare situation for a female lizard kept with good husbandry to become fatally egg bound. I wouldn't swear off females for this reason.
>>
>>2283027
Not necessarily a cause for concern. Make sure it's getting enough water. This is easily accomplished by wetting all veggies before putting in food dish. Double check humidity in the tank to confirm it is in acceptable range for your species. Misting the tank every couple days is also a good idea.
>>
>>2282891
if you can fit the bigger I would
if it was just taller i'd pass, but its got a lot on the length and width
>>
I've had my texas rat snake for about a year now and it's also my first snake. I'm really happy with the creature, he's not aggressive at all and very inquisitve. He only bit me once and it was during the first week.

I had a mali uromastyx when I was a kid but all it ever did was nothing or run against the glass. I find snakes a lot more fun to handle and to observe.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2283432
Forgot pic
>>
>>2283432
try and pick up a baby imported water monitor and see if they are active =)
I agree with the uros though, they are really boring lizards, but also some of the most chill
>>
>>2283435
ur snaek a qt
>>
>>2280778
what a cute!
>>
>>2282634
that snek is 10/solid
>>
>>2283432
Nice choice for first snek! Rats are characters for sure. One of my favorite species.
>>
File: IMG_2447.jpg (3MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2447.jpg
3MB, 2592x1728px
>>2282634
Love retics! A tiger is on my list but right now I'm focusing on boa breeding projects, but I do want to get some SDs. I think I'll limit myself to one or two more "standard" sized retics.

This is my normal girl, about 7'-7.5'.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2283447
Yeah not that I was bored with it as a kid, I loved it very much, but looking back at it it is a boring lizard indeed.

Sorry for the quality and size of pic I'm on an iphone 4s
>>
File: 20160109_183915.jpg (732KB, 1012x1800px) Image search: [Google]
20160109_183915.jpg
732KB, 1012x1800px
I lack a house and a tree because of fucking flooding this year but heres a picture from last year
>>
Does anyone here know of any nocturnal lizards that aren't geckos? All results on google only suggest gecko species
>>
>>2284145
maybe some varieties of skink
I can't think of any lizards that are nocturnal and aren't geckos
>>
File: IMG_4300.jpg (125KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4300.jpg
125KB, 640x640px
about a years growth from my corn snake
first pic he is 2
>>
File: P1010468.jpg (1MB, 1800x2400px) Image search: [Google]
P1010468.jpg
1MB, 1800x2400px
Merry (soon) Christmas from my snek guys
>>
>>2284419
>>2284517

Excellent!
>>
>>2284419
Do you know how much he weighted then and now? My snake gained 200 grams in it's first year, I was wondering how much will he gain in the second
>>
>>2284874
Its*
>>
>>2284874
I have no idea sorry
>>
Does anyone have a leapord gecko that still flicks its tail when eating even though it's well into "Adulthood"?
My geck is about 2 years old now and most sources say that thet stop around their first year or so. I mean, dont get me wrong, she's having fun hunting and her tail shows it, but I just thought it would stop after a year.
>>
>>2284945
Mine only does it when she gets REALLY excited when she sees food, as in, it took a day longer than usual to feed her.
The other one completely stopped doing it at around 1.5 years.
>>
The speedy flick does usually stop after a couple years, yeah. However the super slow s-curve wag often persists if they're getting way in to stalking a bug.

Speedy flick is most often performed by adult males when they are in with a female and ready to get lewd. They go full rattlesnake in that situation.
>>
>>2284945
Geko autism
>>
hello everyone this is my female dumerils and she's my bb. I also have a male, a m/f hognose a male brb a ball and a baby kingsnake. :3 snek bb's.
>>
>>2285199
what a qt
I see that dumerils arent as popular as other boas
whats its like having one, if you can compare it to other snakes?
>>
>>2285218
Other boas, I'm not sure as I don't have any. However as opposed to balls they tend to be much easier to handle and much more difficult to stress out. They also tend to require more substrate because they like to burrow a bit more than other species. Compared to most kingsnakes I've encountered they definitely aren't as active, and I'd recommend buying some kind of back for your tank if it's clear on all sides to help them feel a bit more secure. They do tend to eat more regularly even during winter months as well. I've not yet experienced a fasting period regarding them. Pretty much they're a happy medium from my experience.

Also, here's my male
>>
File: IMG_5660.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5660.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2278346
How do I get a beardie to poop (I'm taking care of one over the break). I've laid him in the sun for 30 min, placed him in his warm spot etc.
>His tank does NOT have sand in it
>His diet is crickets and superworms.
>Feed him every other day
>He is an adult male
>House temp is 74• F
>Can go down to 68
>His heat lamp is a buffer. Keeps him nice and toasty.
Pic related, his name is Dave
>>
>>2285223
and I love their markings
it'd be nice if they were being bred for color morphs like BCIs
>>
>>2285231
i actually really want to bread them but I have no clue where to even start with that kind of stuff. Mostly I'm worried because the female is like 2-3x bigger than the male and she might eat my lil duncan. otherwise I've done some research here and there but still it'd be better if i had a step by step "how to make dumies get naughty with it" guide.

my wee baby kingsnake likes to eat.
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 336x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 336x500px
HELP so I just bought and zoo med digital thermometer and a 60 watt ceramic heat emitter to change my 75 watt infared heat lamp bulb. The ceramic heat emitter is clearly giving off a hotter heat BUT The temps are decreasinf lower down from 94f to 74f within 15mins +, but once I changed the bulb back to the infared, temps went up within seconds.
What the hell /an/ this is confusing me. Does it have to do with the infared's light???
I don't understand. The lamp is sitting 12inches above my 10gal tank and majority of the lid is sealed with cardboard to maintain heat inside.
>>
>>2285248
it depends this thermometer acts weird i used mine one day and it broke i dont know ow but it did and it bounced around as well but i didnt have a light at one point it said it was 84 but it was freezing in the tank and outside and your best using one like the outdoor ones to get the temprature.
>>
>>2285248
My ball python was crawling upwards the lamp trying to get to the ceramic heat source for minutes, but when i turned back to the infared he calmed down and went back to his hide.
What's up with that?
>>
>>2285255
Can you recommend a more accurate but also cheap thermometer
>>
>>2285228

You don't have to do anything in that regard. He should be eating vegetables as well as the bugs though. Leafy greens and so on.
>>
>>2285248

CHE's take about 15-30 minutes to heat up to their maximum output. Also a 75w bulb will give off more heat at 12" away than a 60w CHE. You may want to exchange that CHE for a higher wattage one. Or just stick with the bulbs.

Your thermometer reading is probably accurate.
>>
File: IMG_2459.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2459.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
My newest addition. Not the most flattering picture, but it's hard to get photos of her back when she's laying on her shelf. It will be a few weeks before I attempt to feed her, and a few days after that before I begin handling, assuming no shed cycles come around.

2008 proven jungle female. ~7' and 13.5 lbs according to the breeder, I'll get around to verifying stats once she's settled in.
>>
File: IMG_2391.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2391.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2285468
And the male I hope to breed to her next fall. 2010 male ghost, ~4' unknown weight.
>>
>>2279142
I feel like thats not entirely true. My snake loved curling up in my jacket with me, but I know that was probably for the warmth I gave off.
>>
File: 20161213_155125_HDR.jpg (2MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161213_155125_HDR.jpg
2MB, 2048x1152px
Rate boahouse
>>
>>2285593

10/10 boa lodgings. Live planted?
>>
>>2285270
He hasn't gone in 4 days:(
>>
File: 1482320091099.jpg (166KB, 961x1140px) Image search: [Google]
1482320091099.jpg
166KB, 961x1140px
>>2284517
Merry Christmas from I don't know what breed of dog this is.
>>
>>2285727
african short hair
>>
>>2285736
I should have guessed the short hair part.

More seriously, though, reverse-Googling this doesn't turn up anything and all my lizard knowledge is secondhand.
>>
>>2285739
some kind of monitor I suppose..? Looks like a nile monitor tbqh
>>
File: Nile-monitor.jpg (64KB, 650x426px) Image search: [Google]
Nile-monitor.jpg
64KB, 650x426px
>>2285739
>>2285742
shiieet forgot image
>>
>>2285739
definitely a monitor. probably like nile or mangrove based on the spot patterns and general mouth shape
>>
>>2285661
100% live
The setup is bioactive too
>>
>>2285727
Ophiophagus Hannah
>>
File: IMG_4386.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4386.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
WHY THE FUCK IS MY HUMIDITY SO LOW
i stopped using heat lamps and instead opted for more heat pads but my humidity is still sahara desert tier
I have a theory its the eco earh substrate. That just soaks all the humidity up right? Im about to switch them back to mulch and see if t helps hut i spray the tank extremely thourougly multiple times a day and it will still end up in the late teens a few hours later and im going fucking insane
>>
>>2285769
>WHY THE FUCK IS MY HUMIDITY SO LOW
>tank
you dumb bitch
>>
>>2285788
I've never seen a tank using cocofiber unable to stay at 70
This guy is a dipshit who didn't add water
>>
>>2285769
does your tank have a lid or some form of top on it to trap humidity?
Are you adding water to your substrate? You can seriously dump alot of water into eco earth if needbe but I would fix a ventilation issue before moving onto that if theres too much airflow in the enclosure then its just not going to hold humidity worth a fuck
>>
>>2285809
I did add water
He also has a big ass water bowl refilled every day im just confused
And yeah i know tanks dont hold as well but i never had problems like this with other(smaller) tanks
>>
>>2285815
I keep damp towels on the top but i see people using tin foil for a more secure hold gonna try that soon
>>
>>2285739
Water monitor.
>>
>>2285819
Foil works well to keep humidity in. Better than towels. Tape around the edges.

Eco earth is GOOD for humidity so that's not your problem. Sounds like you have too much airflow happening. So foil to the rescue. If you want it to look nicer you can use a sheet of clear acrylic but that's kind of pricey. A sheet of coroplast would work too.
>>
>>2285842
Thanks i will look for acrylic or coroplast at the hardware(?) store when i go to town tomorrow
>>
>>2285847

Yes hardware stores usually sell both of those. Home Depot definitely does.
>>
Who here is a fan of cocofiber? seems like it retains moisture pretty ok but is it better than cypress mulch as a high humidity tank substrate? for mostly terrestrial species would you guys take aspen over coco as well? having a hard time deciding what to use as a permanent substrate since lots of people tend to have all their own experiences with it.
>>
File: image.jpg (79KB, 328x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
79KB, 328x500px
Has anyone use this? Pros cons?
>>
>>2285769
Just make a humidity box
>>
>>2285903
Depends on the species and the desired humidity. It works well for arboreal snakes and lizards that need fairly humid conditions.

Aspen should be used if your local humidity is already in the right range and you don't need any extra. It is also good for arid climate snakes.
>>
>>2285923
Standard under tank heater. Good for terrestrial snakes and geckos
Not good if you need to use a lot of substrate (more than two inches); lamps, CHE's, and radiant heat panels are best for that.

A UTH needs to be controlled by thermostat to make sure it doesn't get hotter than your herp's max temperature.
>>
>>2285950
the aspen im gonna be using on a dumerils boa and the cocofiber i already use for a rainbow boa but i've been thinking about switching to cypress for the rainbow just not sure if anyone has experiences with either
>>
>>2278346
Herp noob here. I'm interested in getting a pet toad next year. Getiing the supplies seems simple enough. However I'm worried about feeding it. Is it true that they won't eat dead bugs? I don't live very close to any pet stores that sell insects and I can't catch bugs for half of the year since it gets very cold so it would be convenient if I could just stock up on a bunch of dead bugs. Also, is there a toad that is recommended for beginners? I have Eastern American toads in my yard in the Summer, would I be able to catch a juvenile and keep him without stressing him out?
>>
>>2286030
if youre lucky, theyll take freesedried insects
if not youre gonna have to start a colony of something

i would avoid having a wild caught toad. They will stress easier due to not being used to the human presence since birth
and a more minor issue is its often illegal to collect local species without the proper permits
>>
>>2286032
I agree with this anon on wild toads. However, why not get a tadpole and raise it to adult? Way more fun experience and it will have a lot of time adapting to your presence.
>>
>>2285956
Cypress mulch is less dusty when it gets dry. Moisture retention is maybe slightly less than coco fiber but not a huge difference. I often combine a couple different substrates for this reason. My arboreal geckos are on a combination of spaghnum moss and coco husk, for instance. Experimenting with a top layer of fir bark right now so they have a relatively dry layer to walk on above the more moist substrate below.
>>
File: IMG_20161225_001307.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161225_001307.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
Merry christmas /an/!! My Orion is comfiness right now, he gives you best wishes for your herps (and others)
>>
>>2285769
1) Hygrometers can be inaccurate. Google the salt test and test your hygrometer. It could be way off.

2) You're using a tank, if all you've done is switched substrates that isn't enough. You need to limit air flow, too.

3) EcoEarth only holds moisture if you pour water into it. It's built to hold and release moisture, it won't suck any humidity from the air like aspen tends to do.

>>2285819
Towels are fibrous and won't so much as slow down the loss of humidity. I would definitely try something like aluminum foil and see if that helps.

>>2285956
I've used cypress mulch before and it left much to be desired. EcoEarth can hold humidity however high I want for 1-2 weeks unless it's particularly dry (like during the fire crisis we had here in the southeastern US). The cypress mulch would be bone dry within a day, so I went to a mixture of mulch and EcoEarth in my flexwatt set ups and kept pure EcoEarth in my ambient heat set ups.

Honestly, mileage seems to drastically vary from situation to situation, so you'll just have to try different things out yourself. My experience may not be your's.
>>
Why do pet stores say juvenile beardies are such good beginner pets when theres such a huge overhead on getting uvb light bulbs dual light fixture things(zoomed are aholes) and the food theyre supposed to be eating?

And on a side note what -is- the best diet for hatchling/juvie beardeds? I see many different answers but i trust nothing that pet smart says anymore on principal. Also what sibatrate tends to be best?(not sands i know that)
>>
>>2286571
They are good beginner pets because they're care is fairly simple compared to alot of herps, you effectively dont have to worry about humidity the lighting is fairly standard and its simple to explain same as their food.

Young beardies will generally eat most protien in the form of insects and may occasionally eat some form of vegetation but they tend to be more focused on the squirming jumping insects, once they get older they switch to more and more salad compared to when they are young

You can use reptile carpet but cheap floor tile out of something like slate is a good alternative aswell
>>
>>2286571
because you're going to buy all that shit regardless of what herp you pick?
>>
>>2286604
I dont think you need to buy uvb and high amounts of heat for most beginner reptiles
>>
>>2286605
no but its either that or a UTH, and they're just as expensive
>>
>>2286607
Where are you buying under tank heaters for like 75 dollars
>>
>>2286608
well if you're a putz and you buy one from the petstore, its like 60 bucks for a big one

startup costs for anything is stupid expensive, unless you're good at diy or a dealhound with a lot of planning time
>>
File: IMG_1004.jpg (59KB, 650x369px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1004.jpg
59KB, 650x369px
For leopard gecko owners, what online resources are the most useful for new owners? I am considering one of these dudes in the future.
>>
>>2286647
Leopard Gecko channel on youtube is pretty useful :)
>>
File: IMG_9700.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9700.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
Merry chrimbus from Waffle the uromastyx
>>
Thinking of starting a small anole colony in a 40g tall tank i just got. seems legit. any recommendations/tips on how to go about this? best setup? m/f ratios? also gf wants to try a small turtle at the bottom but that's kinda meh. still though, tips/tricks/ideas/etc? pic is the tank im gonna use.
>>
>>2283052
especially with igauans. the males get real pissy. are the females as bad with temper?
>>
>>2283754
>>2283432
>>2283447
so uros are like the ball pythons of lizards?

don't let it make you think all lizards are like that though. different species act differntly
>>
>>2284145
I was about to say night lizards, but turns out they are diurnal. funny
>>
>>2285665
did you read the post? feed that guy some wet veggies
>>
>>2285590
I think there is a difference between taking the animal out to handle them, and letting them climb on you themselves
>>
>>2286891
>anole
>colony
>with a turtle

stop
>>
>>2286913
thanks for the help man
>>
>>2286916
you're welcome. you almost killed those poor things
>>
>>2286924
you're actually just being a useless cunt by the way. you gonna explain any of what you're saying or just condescend
>>
>>2286927
maybe if you would name a fucking species instead of just "turtle" and "anole" people could actually help.

either way I gave you the best advice you can get: stop. because even considering putting a turtle in a lizard tank shows you won't give the animals proper care
>>
>>2286938
if you'd even read the post you'd know it wasn't my idea and i wasn't comfortable with it to begin with genius. I'm mostly just interested in setting up a vertical anole tank with probably 3-5 green anoles and from what i've read females tend to do better in groups. I was considering brown anoles as well but can't find much on keeping multiples in largish tanks together. stop being such a presumptuous turd just because i asked if anyone had experience with the idea and you decided that you're on you're period today for whatever reason.
>>
>>2286940
it doesn't matter if it wasn't your idea and you weren't comfortable with it, you didn't shut it down and put it off the table like you should have.
you shouldn't have been just "uncomfortable" and still having it as a possibility. you're too stupid to help
>>
>>2286941
says the tard who spends his time trolling around /an/ of all places to look for people to call stupid while still not dropping a single viable reason why or explain their logic at all.
>>
>>2286904
uros aren't that boring

they're more active and curious than leopard geckos

mine runs around all day the only downside is he's scared of his own shadow and it's hard to handle him so i don't usually
>>
My leachie gecko makes growling sounds when I pet her fats on both sides near her legs. Sometimes she tries to bite.
>>
>>2287117
Then stop doing it moron. It obviously doesnt like it.
>>
>>2287170
But it's cute.
>>
so im wanting to get a backing for some of my reptile terrariums because i know it tends to help them feel safer but out of curiosity how would black construction paper do for a back? seems like itd keep the heat in a bit better im sure but would it help the snakes feel safer as well?
>>
>>2287340
I'm going to start swatting you in the face all the time. Doesn't matter if you don't like it.

>>2287393
Black contact paper works great.
>>
Could I feed my anole part of a frozen mouse tail?
the stores around me have been out of crickets for like 9 days now and I just want to give them something to tide them over for a few more
>>
>>2287455
You can try. I've seen one eat a little bit of ground beef thrown to it
>>
>>2287393
Foamcore board works well as a light blocker and partial insulator. Attach to exterior of tank. Do that with any paper based product as you don't want water getting on it. Cover both back and sides for best benefit.
>>
>>2287488
I use a large UTH on the side of my leachie's tank and she likes to stick to that side sometimes.
>>
Hi, /herp/. Can you tell me something about garter snake's "tameability"?
And before you go into an autistic hissy-fit, i know that reptiles don't get tame like dogs or cats and no I do not want to cuddle or play fetch with the snake, I just wanna know if it is okay with being handled every once in a while.
>>
>>2287602
Pay attention to your snake's body language. If they're trying to get away from you frantically, don't force them out of their hidebox / tank. If you're getting a new snake, let it adjust to its new surroundings before trying to handle it.
>>
>>2287611
Thank you, and yes I am getting an eastern garter snake soon and of course, I will let it settle in for as long as it needs to before handling it, I don't wanna stress them too much.
>>
>>2287411
I petted the gecko's fat bulges. She made a chirrup noise and curled her tail up.
>>
>>2287612
try putting your hand down to see if it will choose to climb on to it instead of grabbing it. that would be less stressful for it
>>
>>2287709
that's what I wanted to try, I did that with my leopard gecko too, thanks for backing up my plan
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
>>2279364
I know this is fairly late and all but I'll still give input since I have one of these guys. Womas live to eat. My boy is a sweetheart once he realizes food isn't coming, but goddamn is he always eager for a meal. They're black holes, and are extremely quick to get obese if not kept on a proper schedule. Last bit of advice- beware the woma wobble. When the head starts ticking and the tail wiggling, it's probably a good time to back off for a bit unless you'd like to learn what a food bite from one feels like.
>>
File: IMG_2120.jpg (1MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2120.jpg
1MB, 2592x1728px
>>2287602
I have two garters, but they're male. The eastern garter does fine being handled, but the checkered tends to be a flighty piece of work. He's calmed down considerably the past year, but still at times freaks out when I try to get him out.

They're both such small snakes that I usually don't handle them at all. Females get bigger, so they may be easier to handle, but a 1'-2' male is minuscule and a hassle for me to handle. They're both about 3.5 years old now, so they probably won't be getting much bigger. They were growing quite rapidly but they don't seem to have grown much at all in about 4-6 months so I'm thinking they've hit their max size.

Pic is the bigger flightier garter, the albino checkered. They're both on diets now as they've gotten chunky eating every week, so they're eating the same amount of food every 10-14 days now. Once I can figure out a way to keep the worms alive, I'll mix worms in their diets again but it was ridiculous paying $2-3 just to be able to use maybe 4 worms. There are no worms in my yard at all, otherwise I'd just get them out of the yard.
>>
File: IMG_2126.jpg (2MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2126.jpg
2MB, 2592x1728px
>>2287842
And the smaller one, a captive born eastern garter.
>>
>>2287846
>>2287842
cute snakes, thanks anon
>>
>>2286660
This.
She seems pretty reliable and never gave me false advice on anything really.
If you want to know about nutritional value of food, or other scientific stuff about leopard geckos, I'd consider just looking at some papers unrelated to pet care
>>
File: GG.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GG.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>2280930
use your teeth to scrape off the shredded skin
>>
File: 20161228_152837_Burst01.jpg (440KB, 1079x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20161228_152837_Burst01.jpg
440KB, 1079x1920px
Rate this boa.
He's a het-hypo Nicaraguan boa
>>
File: 20161228_152816_Burst01.jpg (462KB, 1079x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20161228_152816_Burst01.jpg
462KB, 1079x1920px
>>2288320
Such a well mannered snake
>>
File: 20161228_153447.jpg (581KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20161228_153447.jpg
581KB, 1920x1080px
>>2288323
Tailpic
>>
>>2288320
Although they're heterozygous hypos, they are not generally referred to as "het hypos" because they are visuals. Heterozygous hypos are "hypos" and homozygous hypos are "super hypos." There is no visual way to distinguish the two, you can only tell a hypo from a super hypo from breeding.

I rate 8/10 because I'm a boa nerd and it's got a lot of nice colors for a Nic.
>>
File: aFw0th8.jpg (644KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
aFw0th8.jpg
644KB, 1836x3264px
Fritz is growing like a weed, he's gone from about 6 inches long to about 9 in a month and a half

How much should I be feeding him though, I'm kinda worried I feed him too much
I end up feeding him 6-8 medium superworms a day
sometimes crickets instead
and a small dish of salad, which he usually eats all or most of by the end of the day. Little dude loves his greens
>>
File: jTX4JSPl.jpg (42KB, 360x640px) Image search: [Google]
jTX4JSPl.jpg
42KB, 360x640px
>>2288449
jesus I didnt even realize how small he was when I got him
he's easily doubled in size
>>
File: MlgDNV3h.jpg (103KB, 576x1024px) Image search: [Google]
MlgDNV3h.jpg
103KB, 576x1024px
>>2288450
better comparison
>>
I made my own thread about this earlier and one anon already kindly answered me.

For anole owners and other similar humidity owners, I have family members with asthma and other sinus issues that will be inflamed by mold. Do you guys have mold "issues" in coco husk? Is there another substrate that will be mold free? Anon suggested earlier that I mix my coco husk with potting soil.

I did my own Internet research but it's spotty answers.
>>
>>2288456
i use ecoearth mixed with cypress mulch
havent seen any mold so far

I think the key is not to waterlog it, and makes sure to stir it up so it airs out every so often
>>
>>2288444
Well from what I've seen with nic's the homozygous version has a lot more color than the hetero version.
>>
I feel retarded looking at the lamp section of the petstore.

Do I need 4 bulbs? A UVA, UVB, heat and nocturnal bulb? From googling around I think heat/UVA are the same thing but I don't want my future lizard to ded ;_;

Is there a magical bulb that does it all?
>>
File: 20161228_211215.jpg (652KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20161228_211215.jpg
652KB, 1920x1080px
>>2288444
>>2288464
Have another photo pal.
He likes basking in his uvb a lot.
>>
>>2288485
What kinda lizard is it?
>>
>>2288489
An Anole.
>>
>>2288491
Get a uvb strip and a ceramic heat emitter.
>>
>>2288494
You have anything against Mercury vapor?
>>
>>2288495
It just doesn't keep up nighttime ambients
>>
>>2288464
They can, but they can also be super dark with little color, same goes with hets. There are no hard set markers for supers.

Also, reaaally loving that second photo. If they stayed like that into adulthood I may be able to disregard their small size and get one myself. You've got a truly marvelous boa.
>>
>>2288499
Mines over 3 feet now and his colors are just getting brighter and his base color is getting lighter with age.
I actually picked him because of the small size since he's my first boa. I really lucked out, because he was pretty dull as a baby when I got him.
>>
>>2288485
ive never seen a heat bulb without uva
but afaik its not really important, UVB is where lizards get their D3 from

if you want to buy a heat bulb go for it, but like that other anon said a ceramic emitter will get you the heat you need and you can leave it on at night
>>
I dont think my beardie likes the sounds from my misting bottle
I just finished spraying the inside of my BPs tank, and I turn around and his belly looks like a checkerboard
>>
>>2288529
That's the thing with hypos, whether CA or Colombian. They can really surprise you as they age. Sometimes ugly ducklings turn out great, and sometimes the best ones turn out drab.
>>
>>2288565
I've seen some really crazy colombian hypos.
I like how mine is, I'm not crazy for the bright orange ones.
>>
>>2288462

This works. Couple other things for mold prevention you can do. Add a springtail culture to your substrate. Springtails are top notch at breaking down any mold that may want to form. Second is a drainage layer so excess water drains through rather than forming a compact soggy muck at the bottom.
>>
>>2288561
Are you using an ordinary spray bottle? If so, pro tip; go to garden section of hardware store a get one of the pesticide sprayers with a hand pump (they come empty and are safe to use with plain water). Pump up air pressure then hold down trigger for a nice constant spray of mist.
>>
>>2288587
nah I got one of those hand held pump ones they sell at like petco
when it starts to run out its makes it loud SHSHSHHHHHHH noise
>>
File: IMG_2323.jpg (1MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2323.jpg
1MB, 2592x1728px
>>2288570
Unless they're superbly bred hypos, I'm more of a fan of Colombian hypo combos. If you've ever heard of Diem Marie, they make some KILLER hypos, and normals.

This girl is about the same size as your hypo, she's keeping her colors quite nicely.
>>
>>2288591
I've got a feeling she's a lot younger though. My guy is almost 2 years old now.
>>
>>2288588
My tokay geckos who are hand tame like to try to bite the fuck out of the mister when it makes that noise.

It's actually one of the points I look for in misters, because aggravating my tokays is fun.
>>
Are snakes / other reptiles capable of showing affection?
>>
>>2288609
By what standard? I assume when my geckos curl up against my hand and display the body language of being relaxed that they feel comfortable around me.
>>
File: IMG_1832.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1832.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>2288596
Not a lot lot younger, no. She'll be 2 in June. Dwarves do grow slower, though, so some difference in age is to be expected. This is her when I first got her.
>>
>>2288609
Yes they will usually order fruit and flower baskets delivered right to your doorstep just about once a month
>>
>>2288609
Where you the OP of that cuddly lizard thread? Tegus and monitors come the closest to showing affection, however even they lack the mental faculties to truly show love. It's more so a preference for one specific type of stimulation (like scratching), a desire for warmth, or a desire for food that spurs reptiles towards interaction.
>>
>>2288678
But isn't love defined by preference of one specific stimulation?
Don't get me wrong, reptiles probably don't feel like we do, but I guess they have to have some sort of emotions.
>>
>>2288746
>But isn't love defined by preference of one specific stimulation?
Sort of, but not really. An abstract concept though it may be, love is still far and away more complex than what reptiles experience. Their desire for stimulation is a lot more basic. For example, if a tegu arches a part of its body against a hand when being scratched then its safe to assume that it just happens to like the sensation, not so much the meaning behind it. That's what I mean when I say they look for stimulation.
>>
>>2288629
If she'd stayed so light I'd be crazy for her. She was an amazing baby

>>2288756
But isn't it their own kind of love when they prefer your stimulation over getting it from others? Your view is really mammalcentric
>>
>>2288918
It's familiarity, not love. Like all animals reptiles tend to become stressed with unfamiliar things. With you it at least recognizes scent and (in the case of varanids and tegus) appearance. It's the same reason why my snakes might chose to be on me over a random person or their in enclosure over on me. They go for what's most familiar to them rather than risk the unknown.
>>
>>2289077
Geckos are proven to enjoy having their fat sides petted. They express this through biting the fingers of the person petting their fats.
>>
>>2289234
Kill yourself retard
>>
File: 8570230792_cb86006c75_o.jpg (34KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
8570230792_cb86006c75_o.jpg
34KB, 800x534px
>>2289235
>>
>>2289238
You're abusing your animals by intentionally overfeeding
You're worse than any neglectful owner
>>
File: Iku7N8.jpg (648KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
Iku7N8.jpg
648KB, 1536x2048px
>>2289241
Pet the fat sides, anon.
>>
>>2289245
You're a piece of shit
>>
File: tokay-gecko.jpg (105KB, 600x342px) Image search: [Google]
tokay-gecko.jpg
105KB, 600x342px
>>2289246
THICC

These aren't my geckos, anon. I feed my leachie a half dish of Pangea CGD three times a week. She isn't fat. I do pet her sides though.
>>
>>2288918
Unfortunately they never do. Some Lipstick and other linebred albinos do stay nice and colorful, but they will either yellow out, orange out, or gain lots of red. They won't stay that light white color.
>>
File: IMG_2312.jpg (1MB, 2592x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2312.jpg
1MB, 2592x1728px
>>2289269
She does still have weirdly pale head/neck compared to the rest of her body though.
>>
Looking for some diy suggestions with a tub
I'm planning to move my ball python to a sterilite tub, and I have most of it worked out and I have some heat sitting around that i never used

my concerns are
1. What should use as legs on the tub so I can some airflow under it and
B. What should I use to secure the lid?, I've heard that bungee cords work but is that really enough?
>>
File: quick link.jpg (16KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
quick link.jpg
16KB, 500x350px
>>2289280
I don't really lift my tubs off the ground, but you could use really anything to lift it up.

I don't need to secure my tubs, but I have used bungee cords and yes they work. You get small enough ones and it will be so tight you'll barely be able to lift it, let alone the snake. The only tub I have additional security on is my female ghost boa's tub because her lid doesn't latch, it snaps on. I have two of those "quick link" things on each long side of the tub to hold the lid down. The hole drills through the lip of the tub and through the lip of the lid and I just put the links through the holes.
>>
snek n mouse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYGASyRMcb4
>>
File: bcbe1ef4451181b72ce2130b0ecc.jpg (161KB, 666x1184px) Image search: [Google]
bcbe1ef4451181b72ce2130b0ecc.jpg
161KB, 666x1184px
Hey guys, I have a problem.
My gecko hides all the time, I haven't seen it coming out of its tree for like a week.
I think it's scared of me, it used to stay outside and get warm, but I accidentally scared it one day while trying to get a cricket on his tree, it ran away and whenever I see it outside its hide (which happens rarely) it goes back into it.
Any help?
>>
>>2289399
They naturally hide, anon.

If we're talking a leo, make sure they have a humid and a dry hide. Make sure the temps inside the dry hide aren't very cold either. For my gecko (not a leo) I put a hide halfway on the UTH so there's both a cold and warmer side inside the hide.

Does your gecko take food?
>>
>>2289403
Yeah, I see mealworms sometimes disappearing from dish and his poop.
I recently discovered that night temperature is too high, so I lowered it and kept day temperature the same. There's both a warm and cool hide.
Btw, my leo is young and I have it since the beginning of December. I sure heard about them taking their time to get used to new environment, but a whole month?
>>
>>2289245
How does obesity affect reptiles again? As badly as it does mammals..?
>>
>>2289425
Worse. Reptiles store fat in weird places just because fat in other places is really bad. It messes with thermoregulation, shedding and has all the issues or causes in mammals
>>
>>2289405
>I sure heard about them taking their time to get used to new environment, but a whole month?

Oh yes, that is perfectly normal. Lots of time and patience is all it takes. The fact that gecko is eating regularly is a good sign.
>>
>>2289280
I use ziploc tubs the inside ring on the lid is lined with foam and they have built in locks that keep the lid snug
I glued water bottle caps along the bottom of mine but I feel they were hugely uneeded
>>
>>2289470
Okay anon, thanks a lot for your help.
>>
>>2289489
anyone have any recommendations for hides for a full size bearded dragon?
I'm in the middle of moving my juvie up to a full size tank, and I might well get some full size hides while I'm at it
>>
File: IMG_9703.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9703.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Is it normal for uros to shed this much

He's so flaky it's so tempting to peel it off
>>
File: IMG_20161228_165441.jpg (1MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161228_165441.jpg
1MB, 4160x2340px
Hi /herp/ I dont know if my Orion could have mouth rot, can you help me?
>>
File: IMG_20161228_165851.jpg (1MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161228_165851.jpg
1MB, 4160x2340px
>>2289555
More photos
>>
File: IMG_20161228_165951.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161228_165951.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>2289555
>>
>>2289555
why do you think he has mouth rot?
>>
File: IMG_20161231_010611.jpg (1MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161231_010611.jpg
1MB, 4160x2340px
>>2289574
I just heard about mouth rot and I was afraid..the other day I realized he has this kind of pink lipstick on his mouth, but he's eating very good and doesn't look he's in pain or something. Maybe he's just like this? Could you please share some information about mouth rot? Thank you.
>>
>>2289588
Different anon here, have you checked the inside of their mouth? From what I have seen the rot is really easy to see from the inside.
>>
>>2289599
Ok I will check
>>
>>2289555

Doesn't look like it from the outside. Mouthrot causes a gap to form between upper and lower jaw in one spot, which your gecko does not have.
>>
is this discolored bit at the end of my beardies nose stuck shed?
if so how do i get it off?
>>
File: ubJGYgZ.jpg (373KB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
ubJGYgZ.jpg
373KB, 1836x3264px
>>2289697
FUCK
>>
>>2289698

Maybe? I'm not sure based on the picture. Moisten a cotton swab and roll it across. Don't rub. Just gentle roll motion. The idea is the loosen it, assuming this is stuck shed, rather than pull it right off.
>>
Man Australia has the worst laws for ownership, barely any choice and the license is made to extort money, not to actually "preserve infrastructure".

Anyway i want to get a snake but i want a ball python which im pretty sure a cat 3 and 4 licence dont allow. What should i do
>>
>>2289743
In my city, they forbid any 'exotic pet' and only specifically allow cats, dogs and a small list of birds.

I actually submitted a question to the city council about owning a leopard gecko, tokay gecko and leachianus gecko (anonymously so they couldn't fucking try to go after me like the nosy busybodies they are).

"No, we don't allow people to keep those animals within city limits"

Guess what, everyone does it anyway. Geckos aren't a danger whatsoever to the ecosystem here in my northern state. They couldn't survive an entire year as it gets waaaaaaay too cold.

City and state laws need to focus on animal welfare and ensuring people take good care of their pets, not telling people they can't keep a leopard gecko because "it's exotic".
>>
>>2289748
Its funny because i once found (among many other injured animals) a (native large) lizard that was injured. I nursed it back to health and released it into my nearby national park. Funny how even that is considered illegal and they expect me to pay a fee to have it nursed back to health at the wild life sanctuary (or whatever its called).

Also they have no issue with people killing snakes on their property but keeping them becomes a whole debacle
>>
anyone have any suggestions to heat a glass tank with a retic in it? it's a temp tank until I he gets a bit larger (it's almost to small)
Right now the only thing I have is underbelly heat and it gets around 80 in his hide, but outside it's 72 (our house temp) which is way too low
I'm pretty scared to let him soak because if I do he turns to ice if I handle him
>>
>>2289795
Heat tape with a good thermostat control is pretty popular and you can cut it / order it to length.
>>
>>2289808
I don't think it will work very well with a glass tank?
I'm thinking of heat panels now, along with Styrofoam along the walls
>>
>>2278680
Just be warned carpets can get pretty damn big so maybe not a beginner snake.
>>
>>2289795
get a CHE, I don't know what a retics humidity requirement is, but if its less than like 80% you shouldn't have too hard a time maintaining it
>>
NEW THREAD TIME

>>2289960

>>2289960

>>2289960

>>2289960

>>2289960
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 73

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.