[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/bug/ - Arthropod/Insect/Bug General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 119

File: 1465674847003.jpg (843KB, 1024x1636px) Image search: [Google]
1465674847003.jpg
843KB, 1024x1636px
Big Black Cockroaches edition

2nd thread since the last one was a resounding success.

Previous thread: >>2232355

Discuss anything Arthropod related here including keeping, breeding raising of all kinds of critters, pest removal and ID help.

If you need ID help make sure to include your location in your post!
>>
First for tarantulas are fucking boring and there is no good reason to keep them because they don't do shit. Prove me wrong.
>>
File: noob.jpg (117KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
noob.jpg
117KB, 500x750px
>>2241663
Tarantulas are friendly, you are just bitter.
>>
>>2241676
>sits in cave/net all day and night
>comes out to feed once a month for 30 seconds

Meh.
(This was a thinly veiled attempt to get someone to suggest me some more active tarantula species that I'll see regularly.
>>
File: acanthoscurria_geniculata.jpg (115KB, 900x673px) Image search: [Google]
acanthoscurria_geniculata.jpg
115KB, 900x673px
>>2241677
>active tarantula species that I'll see regularly

Plus they're always hungry.
>>
>>2241803
How about Poecilotheria? I know they can be rather fast and skittish but does that translate into high activity or not?
>>
File: smallsquirmies.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
smallsquirmies.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
Anyone know what these might be?

These are living in stagnant water with high organic material levels (lettuce and soil). Literally in a pickle jar in southern California.

The biggest ones I see around about 0.7cm long, they move around like maggots, and apparently breathe through a tail.

I looked up rat-tailed maggot, drone and hover-fly larvae, and even small slugs and can't seem to pinpoint what exactly these are, thank s in advance.
>>
>>2241978
i'm thinking shore flies (ephydridae)
>>
File: image.jpg (538KB, 1479x1506px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
538KB, 1479x1506px
Anybody know what this is?
First time I've ever seen one of these around.
I live in the extreme south of Brazil, if that helps.
>>
>>2241978
If there really tiny and grey and kind of squirm around they might be mosquito larvae. But I'm in the states and can't look at the webM bc iphone
>>
>>2242014
A male ant of some sort
>>
File: spooky_twins.jpg (118KB, 730x502px) Image search: [Google]
spooky_twins.jpg
118KB, 730x502px
>>2242014
I'm also from the south of Brazil and, although I've seen that many times before, I admit I don't know exactly what it is. I've always thought they were male ants that get wings during the breeding season.
>>
So I've been using a dish-soap and water mix to spray on ants and other bugs that get in the house, and I've noticed that when I spray any arthropod they'll do the following

>stop
>panic and flee or attempt to clean self
>become sluggish after running for a bit
>start to shake and stutter while atill slowing down
>curl up into a ball while having an epileptic fit or simply freeze in place

Sometimes certain ants will climb onto grass blades and just die right on the tip, like a tiny gargoyle. Anyways, what I wanted to know is what exactly does the soap do that makes bugs react like this?
>>
File: snakefly.webm (1MB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
snakefly.webm
1MB, 1080x1080px
>>2241995

This is precisely what they are; thank you. They are interesting little squirms.

Have a snakefly.
>>
File: CONCERN.jpg (43KB, 392x324px) Image search: [Google]
CONCERN.jpg
43KB, 392x324px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ySwuQhruBo
There's no god.
>>
>>2242044
>Sometimes certain ants will climb onto grass blades and just die right on the tip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8
>>
>>2242044
Soap reduces the surface tension of water. Bugs have trachea (tiny tubes through which they breath) and those rely on their ends being filled with a certain amount of hemolymph (their "blood") to be able to exchange oxygen. I don't know exactly what happens when soap gets in there but it can't be good. I can't imagine getting soap in our blood is very good either.
>>
>>2242056
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMG-LWyNcAs

"I cannot persuade myself that a beneficent and omnipotent God would have designedly created parasitic wasps with the express intention of their feeding within the living bodies of Caterpillars."

Have fun anon: http://dailyparasite.blogspot.com/
>>
>>2242044
doesn't soap destroy the oils on their cuticle or something? could explain the cleaning part too
>>
File: IMG_1592.gif (543KB, 512x502px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1592.gif
543KB, 512x502px
>>2242081
Jesus why did I open that on lsd?
>>
File: attaspecalates.jpg (48KB, 540x595px) Image search: [Google]
attaspecalates.jpg
48KB, 540x595px
>>2242014
>>2242035
>>2242037

It's a male Atta spec. alate.
They're Leafcutters.

Queens actually sell for around 200+€ here in Europe.
>>
File: atta soldier.jpg (100KB, 640x502px) Image search: [Google]
atta soldier.jpg
100KB, 640x502px
>>2242014
>>2242037
>>2242358
Oh yeah their nuptial flight season starts around now in Brazil.
>>
File: orchidbee.jpg (540KB, 1024x824px) Image search: [Google]
orchidbee.jpg
540KB, 1024x824px
who /BEES/ here
>>
File: IMG_8807.jpg (1MB, 995x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8807.jpg
1MB, 995x1600px
>>2242360
Beeeeeees
>>
File: bombusterrestris.jpg (128KB, 1191x900px) Image search: [Google]
bombusterrestris.jpg
128KB, 1191x900px
>>2242368
bumble bees confirmed best bees
>>
File: IMG_9580.jpg (938KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9580.jpg
938KB, 1600x1066px
>>2242370
Quite a lot of people think bumblebees can't sting, probably because they look so fuzzy and cute. No one wanted to believe me when I got stung by one as a child and assumed I got stung by a wasp or a bee. It's the same people that think dragonflies can sting.

Also while we're at it, Americans, are yellowjackets really such a problem over there? Or are you just not used to them? Over here in yurop I see mostly young people freak out over them probably because they never go outside or something. Everyone else is quite chill about them, they're not nearly as aggressive as people assume, you can just shoo them away.

Or are they worse over there because they have no opposition?
>>
>>2242376
>Quite a lot of people think bumblebees can't sting, probably because they look so fuzzy and cute. No one wanted to believe me when I got stung by one
I know thy feel, my friend
worked with bumblebees for half a year, got stung twice
only the females sting (and 'bite') though, males have no stinger and degenerated mandibles, so they can't do neither

>wasps
I'm yuropoor as well and I usually just stay calm until the wasp decides to fuck off again

>mfw some wasp nippled on my ear two years ago and I carefully moved here away with my finger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2ObbDlv37c
most people don't know that they're actually crazy for meat
>>
File: image.jpg (72KB, 406x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 406x480px
>>2242358
This is a blue board, man, come on!
>>
File: 9urbrvU.jpg (90KB, 640x496px) Image search: [Google]
9urbrvU.jpg
90KB, 640x496px
>>2242376
Where I live, we don't have to worry much about yellowjackets or hornets, despite them being the assholes that they are. Instead, we have these motherfuckers.

Cue the velvet ant. This motherfucker will seriously fuck up your day.
>>
>>2242453
At least those can't fly, right?
>>
>>2243201
Males can, but obviously they're harmless.
>>
Anyone here into insect collecting? What are your guys sources for non native species? As in dead and dried but not mounted yet.
>>
>>2243224
if males can, so does the queen probably

could the queen (or any young queen for that matter) fuck your shit up?
>>
>>2243322
they don't have queens. they are solitary
>>
File: 5491756636_17818b05a1_z.jpg (292KB, 640x581px) Image search: [Google]
5491756636_17818b05a1_z.jpg
292KB, 640x581px
Picked up a bumblebee in mcdonalds and released the poor fuzzy bum outside. Feels good man. I love bumblebees.

>>2241663
This is true. People just like to keep spiders, scorpions and those sorts of things to feel unique in their pet choices. It is also classic materialism coming into play, humans feeling the need to OWN things that they like, even though there is no point in doing so (eg: they are not using the spiders for anything productive like research). Its like people who collect that plastic anime figurine crap.
>>
File: images (1).jpg (6KB, 172x186px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
6KB, 172x186px
>tfw have a bed bug infestation in my bed room
>>
>>2243596
>tfw never felt the pain of having a bed bug infestation ever.
>>
Anyone know anything about care for Australian Walking Sticks?

There's a person selling a male and female for 35 bucks near me and I'm thinking of getting them because they're apparantly rare in the states.
>>
>>2243572
>People just like to keep spiders, scorpions and those sorts of things to feel unique in their pet choices
not true
Many arthropods and other invertebrates have really unique behavioral pattern, which are really interesting to observe

this guy >>2241663
was talking about tarantulas only
but the same may be true for many scorpion species
>>
>>2243572
Or, you know, because they're actually interested in these animals unlike most pet owners (i.e. most cat, dog or rodent owners) who don't care about their pets for the sake of the animal itself but because it provides them with affection or imagined affection. Which I think is an entirely selfish motivation to get a pet. It's not about the animal, it's about you.

That anon you quoted is right, tarantulas are very passive animals and it is hard to observe their (very interesting) behaviors. Most people will get them based on their looks because of that but with enough patience (something the majority of people seem to lack these days) you can observe very interesting and unique things about them.

Other arthropods are less passive and it is easier to appreciate them. Maybe you should try it out instead of judging other people.
>>
>>2243565
what the fuck do males have wings for then

I thought usually copulation would happen during flight in species where males had wings but females (except for the queens) did not

>>2243572
nice
by to looks of the mandibles and the abdomen it looks like a male but I haven't seen bumblebros this close up in quite some time so I might be wrong
>>
File: P9240008.jpg (524KB, 1616x1704px) Image search: [Google]
P9240008.jpg
524KB, 1616x1704px
>>2243810
Are you talking about Extatosoma tiaratum? Those are easy to care for. Get a big and high enough tank because females get quite massive and molt by hanging themselves upside down. They don't need very specific temperatures. 20-30°C all work well. They also aren't picky about their food. Blackberry is probably the most easily available one, but they eat all kinds of rosewood, oak, hazel and eucalyptus. Mist once a day, maybe twice if your tank has higher temps. Eggs should be kept at higher temperatures, like 25°C and upwards.

I don't see why they would be rare though. Females can reproduce through parthenogenesis, so you can hatch a whole army from a single one.
>>
>>2243886
>you can hatch a whole army from a single one
That is a legitimate concern actually. You should plan ahead what you'll be doing with all the babies. Do you have a reptile or something to feed them to?
>>
>>2243887
It's good to use a bright substrate in the tank or just paper towels, so you can pick out all the eggs and choose how many you want to incubate.
>>
>>2243890
You seem to know your stuff. What species would you recommend for a 30x30x40 cm terrarium? I know it can't be too big but I can fulfill any temperature and humidity conditions.
>>
>>2243885
>what the fuck do males have wings for then

finding females. Picking up females during the mating ritual to deposit eggs in a wider distribution. Finding nectar to drink since the male isn't an asshole
>>
>>2243893
Some smaller species that come to mind are Orestes mouhotii, Dares validispinus/philippinensis, Epidares nolimetangere and Peruphasma schultei.

Bigger ones still work in that tank, just not in larger groups. Maybe as singles or pairs.
>>
>>2243904
I especially like E.nolimetangere (amazing name too) and Peruphasma schultei.
P. schultei seems pretty easy to get but where would I aqcuire E. nolimetangere in central europe?

Also what about Oreophoetes peruana?
>>
File: Untitled.png (16KB, 405x406px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
16KB, 405x406px
>>2243928
Terraristik.com is a good way to search for private breeders. There were offers put up in September, so contacting them could work.

O. peruana is specialized at eating ferns I think. But if you could provide enough then those would also work.
>>
>>2243930
Thanks. I know that site but I never remember it exists for some reason. I'll look through it.

How many meme points would I get for putting Impatiens noli-tangere in with Epidares nolimetangere?

>But if you could provide enough then those would also work.
I'm basically next door to a garden center and they have a fuckton of ferns.
I'm pretty sure it's full of pesticides though. Does that rule it out completely or will washing it off remove them?

In the summer I can also just go into the forest and get enough eagle fern to fill my entire house probably.

Also how about Phyllium species? Would they be too big for that enclosure?
>>
>>2243932
>I'm pretty sure it's full of pesticides though. Does that rule it out completely or will washing it off remove them?

You delicate snowflake bug pets are going to be fucking dead in under an hour if you bring that shit in their tank. Don't risk it
>>
>>2243934
Yeah, I thought so. Also it seems lots of systemic pesticides are used nowadays so the plants stay poisonous basically forever.

Guess I'm limited to species that I can feed with blackberry then.
>>
>>2243932
Plants from garden centers are always risky. Some pesticides will get absorbed into the leafs, so washing won't clear that. The most surefire way of checking would be feeding it first to some expendable offspring, but I assume you don't have any other phasmids right now?

Yeah, I think like 2-3 P. philippinicum could also work in there.
>>
>>2243937
The big sticking point about pesticides is they are used on pests that have evolved tolerances.

It would be like feeding a ghost pepper to a toddler. Non-pest species have no protection from that level of poison.
>>
Does anyone know about the legality of keeping Giant African Land Snails in Germany or Sweden?

I keep GALS where I live now since it's not illegal but there's the potential for moving to either of these countries and naturally I'd prefer to bring them with but I don't know if they're legal and can't seem to find anything on google.
>>
>>2244354
In Germany they are legal, require no permit and can be openly bought at expos and online.
It's only countries with very mild winters or subtropical or tropical climate that need to worry about these because they could become invasive if released.

Germany and Sweden are most definitely not subtropical.
>>
File: beekeepersbible.jpg (149KB, 675x1200px) Image search: [Google]
beekeepersbible.jpg
149KB, 675x1200px
>>2242360
Ayyy
>>
>>2241663
As a tarantula enthusiast, I kinda agree, but I knew what I got myself into. I don't have a lot of time on my hands so I figured a tarantula would be a perfect pet considering how they don't smell, don't require a lot of space and also how low-maintenance they are. I like to draw comparison to plants, although it's still pretty cool to see them do their tarantula-things like building their web or cleaning their fangs.
>>
>>2243596
lol don't fall for the heat treatment meme (protip: we end up using chemicals anyways)

t. Certified Applicator, done dozens of BB jobs.
>>
>>2244436
Get some centipedes, you'll love them.
>>
File: image.png (158KB, 370x305px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
158KB, 370x305px
Alrigh /bug/, suppose you have a planet that has enough oxygen and food to support colonies of warrior bugs, not the size in the movie but maybe a crab or something; would such an organism need to be practical or would it need to be redesigned? What differences would help it and what could stay?

Honestly not sure if this belongs here or not, but I was just wandering what you guys would think.
>>
>>2244717
it would need a completely different exoskeleton and a few different organs. chitin would be too heavy to be practical at that size, and it would need hemoglobin and lungs or some other means of respiration. plenty of buggos have hemoglobin due to low oxygen environments like stagnant water.
>>
>>2244717
Arthropods are small on land nowadays because they are outcompeted by other animals, not because of lack of oxygen.

The biggest flying insect ever, Meganeura, existed well into the Permian when oxygen levels where similar and at some points lower than today. Arthropleura, the biggest land arthopod ever, had a tracheal system that scales exactly to the proportions of similar modern animals with no other apparent adaptions to its giant size.

I can see a few problems with a scaled up bug like in your picture but mostly I think it would be alright.

It would need to be fed of course, it can't eat with those jaws. At that size and weight those pointy legs would probably be impractical in most terrains, a regular tarsus with claws would be better. If it has an open circulatory system it would probably need quite a few pumps to move the hemolymph, maybe even one for each leg and a central one.
Even with trachea it would need to actively breath, bigger land arthropods do that by pumping their abdomen, but the outside looks completely sclerotized so it would need someting like internal contractible sacks at the trachea entrances like some insects have.
The biggest problem I think is the molting though. How would it do that? At that weight it would deform itself when molting, it needs some sort of support (like suspending its body from the ceiling and letting the legs hang) or do it under water. Also the hardening would take ages. 1 or 2 weeks maybe.

I should clarify those concerns are for something medium/large dog sized and up.
>>
File: image.jpg (431KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
431KB, 1200x1600px
>>2244718
>>2244722
Every day on this board I learn something new, and I love it.

Thanks, have a fitness fly!
>>
File: sweating.jpg (155KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
sweating.jpg
155KB, 1600x900px
>>2242453
Who here /stung/?
[spoiler]age 12[/spoiler]
>>
File: received_1128395607246400.jpg (175KB, 720x1230px) Image search: [Google]
received_1128395607246400.jpg
175KB, 720x1230px
I live in florida
And im pretty sure this is a non-native preying mantis

Has anyone seen these types ?
Its wings are beautiful and a hint of blue when raised
>>
>>2245097
Gonatista grisea, it's native.

Nice find!
>>
File: WP_20161018_20_08_27_Pro[1].jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20161018_20_08_27_Pro[1].jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
My precious baby
>>
>>2245137
Thanksim a park ranger
Its terrible ive never came across one until now
I got a video of him rearing up at me
With its beautiful wings
I love mantoids but never have i seen this one
I can upload it to youtube if interested
>>
>>2245253
Go ahead, I'd love to see that.

Also they are quite pretty, so
1. get/find ootheca
2. hatch it
3. sell for profit

I'm pretty sure you could take like 10-15 $ for one if you shipped it country wide.
>>
>>2245247
So how much do you see those in general? Do they come out or do they generally stay burrowed?
>>
>>2245505
80% or more underground

at least mine are

I sometimes see them at night looking for food
>>
>>2245507
Did you do the red LED strip thing yet? Once you have those installed you should be able to judge pretty well ow often they come out.
>>
File: waspmeat.webm (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
waspmeat.webm
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>2242397
have that as a webm.

also while Im here: how to prepare captured (dead/alive) insects for collecting / storage / inspection?
additionally, what are some cool insects to catch and how to catch them?

Im from middle germany
>>
>>2245538
>also while Im here: how to prepare captured (dead/alive) insects for collecting / storage / inspection?

I think you're gonna need to gas them and then dry them, never did it myself though so no idea.

>additionally, what are some cool insects to catch and how to catch them?
>Im from middle germany

Don't bother at least 90% of them are under protection.
Especially the "cool" ones.
>>
>>2245538
For living insects you need a killing jar (google it), preferably with ethyl acetate (Essigsäureethylester).
For fragile insects like butterflies that would damage themselves in a killing jar you get a syringe and inject the ethyl acetate directly into their thorax while they are still in the net, it kills them instantly.

Dried insects need to be relaxed to be able to mount them, either in hot water (for beetles and the like) or a relaxing chamber for fragile insects like butterflies again.

I've given some tips for mounting and displaying over here:
>>2244325
>>2244328

>additionally, what are some cool insects to catch and how to catch them?
You're a bit late. Everything is dead. Ok not everything but it's a lot harder to find them now. You can find hibernating Carabidae in forests under rotting wood, rocks and bark along with other beetles and certain moths. You might find some Cerambycidae too if you break open rotting wood. Generally at this time of year you've got to look under or in stuff, there's not much going on out in the open.
In spring among the first insects that you can find are butterflies that overwinter as adults or pupae, like Inachis io, Aglais urticae or Gonepteryx rhamni.

If you want to collect the rules generally are
>you can't collect protected species
>you can't collect in nature reserves (Naturschutzgebiete)
>you can collect in nature preserves (Landschaftsschutzgebiete) as long as it's not excessive or disruptive
But it's a lot more complicated in practice: www.kerbtier.de/Pages/Themenseiten/deRechtslage.html

To be honest though, just don't get caught and don't collect in nature reserves. Collecting a protected species in numbers that are typical for amateurs (like 1 to 10) is not going to endanger its population or disrupt the environment. Arthopods generally are not endangered because of direct threats to them but because of environmental changes.
>>
>>2245684
Additionally you can order a large selection of species dead and dried online. Ordering species that are protected is still illegal though, even if they were collected in a country where it's legal.
>>
>>2245097
>Locate the Shagohod
>>
>>2245504
Really...wow
I didnt even realize that
Ya i loved how it reacts to my phone
I was trying to get him to lash out at the needle.
https://youtu.be/th3D0e1jFWs
Here ya go buddy
>>
File: 1475863546299.jpg (110KB, 591x640px) Image search: [Google]
1475863546299.jpg
110KB, 591x640px
>>2242081
hell, Im reading thru all the entries, they're pretty interesting. Thank you anon im having a reel nice time
also the guy that write this blogs seems to be a professor at some university but... some of his posts feature weeby qt monster parasite girls? Deviantart account link included in some entries even ... I dont know why I find this kind of adorable.
>>
>>2246102
Some of the entries are written by his students.

Then again at this point I'm pretty certian at least one of my profs is a huge weeb as well but he's pretty good at hiding his powerlevel. I have a few of the postdocs of our group on steam too and two of them have moeshit avatars.
>>
File: idolo.jpg (254KB, 1024x708px) Image search: [Google]
idolo.jpg
254KB, 1024x708px
lol this guy bought a breeding pair of Idolomantis diabolica and has no idea how to properly care for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKGKufC4Ods
>>
File: 2016-09-22 12.11.51.jpg (483KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-22 12.11.51.jpg
483KB, 2560x1920px
>>2246473
First molt, and they're going to hang from the lid, and he will remove the lid.

A have some jumping spiders currently 4 different species.

And I had two males of Trydarssus nobilitatus, one of those endangered local spiders, luckily I found a female, so I had the two males in the same enclosure, and the female on other.

The males got along fine, till I introduced the female, one day in, and the female jumped when I opened the lid, good luck finding a millimetric jumping spider that doesn't want you to find her, 360° vision and extremely fast.

Of the two males one is missing a leg, and after the female escaped, the lame spider, killed the other male, so there I was, with the seven legged killer. The female was looking at us from the wall two days later, just at eye sight level, so I put the enclosure under her and she jumped in.

Jumping spider do that, it's not the first time I have one that comes back.

After that some spider dance, and some spider love making I assume, now the female it's making a nest and the male just doing nothing.

I don't know, if I have to remove the male, how long it is going to live, or if I better leave them be.
>>
>>2246486
I'm not surprised. Ants will also break spiders' legs.

I just extracted an ootheca from a German cockroach. She was still alive so I killed her. How long will it take before the extracted ootheca hatches?
>>
File: german-cockroach-female.jpg (35KB, 444x372px) Image search: [Google]
german-cockroach-female.jpg
35KB, 444x372px
>>2246998
pic related
>>
-forgive-me-my-keyboard-doesn't-work...

i-found-a-praying-mantis-on-my-window-i-dropped-it-with-my-broom-i-thought-it-would-fly-to-procure-a-landing-but-it-didnt-now-its-abdomen-is-kind-of-protruding-from-one-side-kind-of-not-by-a-crazy-amount-but-seems-significant-i-feel-so-bad-im-sorry-nature

also-i-tried-catching-this-huge-spider-covering-its-huge-nest-but-i-broke-its-leg-ohman-im-a-bad-person

will-these-two-animals-be-okay?
>>
>>2247021
No they won't be alright. Just leave them alone next time or be more careful.
>>
Has anyone tried raising green jungle nymphs?
>>
File: 20161021_183738.jpg (829KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
20161021_183738.jpg
829KB, 1600x900px
Got four Plistospilota guineensis L3 nymphs today. They're cute. Cute!

Don't have my good camera with me at the moment so I only have this shitty phone pic of the setup (temporary of course, I'll move them when they get big enough). The images on the internet really undersell them. They're not nearly as dull looking as they seem, they have this really cool green stripe/spot pattern going on.
>>
Is this literally the only terrestrial Tarantula you can keep in a communal setup?
>>
>>2246486
most male spider's don't live very long after mating so i'd just leave them be.
>>
>>2247347
Yep, he dead now.

The female made the egg sack.

I heard that you can feed them honey, anyone knows about that?
>>
>>2247735
Sounds like bullshit to me. Spiders are exclusively predatory. I used to have bees and spiders liked to live on the hives but for warmth and eating bees never for honey
>>
>>2247836
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-642-33989-9_28#page-1

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-zoology/article/jumping-spiders-araneae-salticidae-that-feed-on-nectar/7690330E37C061FA101EEACAAA76F890

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/226/4680/1330
>>
>>2247836
see
>>2247840

The most "famous" species which feeds mainly on plant matter would be Bagheera kiplingi
>>
File: 1022061602.jpg (265KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1022061602.jpg
265KB, 1600x1200px
Hello friends.

This little critter was found today in a vinyard on the ground in Erie Pennsylvania, that's by the Great Lakes (42.12° N, -80.08° E)

I do not know what the orange fluid he was exuding was, or from where. He seemed a bit torpid, but active enough to attempt evasion and distinguished up/down orientation. The scale is relative to a small coffee cup lid, the white background. I figured him for some sort of nymph.

I have never seen it before. If anyone knows what it is, great, and thanks in advance. Mostly, I just wanted to share it; it had this deep greenish-blue iridescence that was almost dark enough to be black, but not quite.

Pic 1/2
>>
File: 1022061602a.jpg (285KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1022061602a.jpg
285KB, 1600x1200px
>>2248127

2/2

Will check back later, and thank you. Have a great weekend.
>>
>>2248127
>>2248130
Oil beetle. Don't touche the yellow stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meloe
>>
File: eshoppsrefugiumlight1.jpg (49KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
eshoppsrefugiumlight1.jpg
49KB, 700x700px
I have an old 4 gallon shrimp tank that I haven't used in a long time and wanted to see what I could put into it.

I currently have this light: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=29013 and was wondering if that could also be used for an invertebrate of some sort? It was pretty nice and I would like to reuse it if I can,

Was thinking about a tarantula but any other opinions on low-maintenance animals that are comfortable in a small tank would be cool.

Thanks guys. Pic related it's the light.
>>
>>2248230
Give us the actual dimensions of your tank, gallons are useless for this.
>>
>>2248233
Overall, the tank is 9 7/8" x 9 7/8" x 9 7/8".

It sits on a plastic pedestal that is glued to the bottom of the tank and also comes with a sliding, glass lid.
>>
File: 1016061059 - Copy.jpg (190KB, 987x757px) Image search: [Google]
1016061059 - Copy.jpg
190KB, 987x757px
>>2248146

Thank you! Will read now.

:)

I also had a question about this mantis I found about a week ago. Notice the dark spot on his/her inner ... fore arm?

Anyways, I thought it was a wound. But then I found another only some 30 feet away with the same marking in the same place.

I dont know what to think it was. They both were curious creatures to engage. I was moving them off a sidewalk where they could get smushed in their chase of grasshoppers.

Hunting insects, I think, are a bit 'smarter'. His head would track my hands as I used a twig to scoot him up and off the walk, and he would adjust his body to match the twig. I myself just think its amazing watching insects switch focus and attention and make decisions. It always makes me introspective about our own thinking and level of consciousness.

Anyways, many thanks again! Have a great weekend!
>>
File: 1022061601.jpg (239KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1022061601.jpg
239KB, 1600x1200px
>>2248146

And did read- wow! What a little monster! I did handle it just a bit to position him for the photo, and apparently didn't get any of that stuff on me, thank goodness, and it was sheer luck.

It was still beautiful though. Thanks to you, I'll know not to ever handle them again. It was the first I'd ever seen one.

Imagine, I used the same two fingers to eat a Hershey Kiss only 20 minutes later. Thank goodness I seemed to miss that oil. I guess I dodged a bullet.

It was an odd evening, a walk in the country led me to wander a vinyard and watch the sunset. Thats where I found him.
>>
File: Gottesanbeterin_Drohhaltung.jpg (2MB, 3699x2461px) Image search: [Google]
Gottesanbeterin_Drohhaltung.jpg
2MB, 3699x2461px
>>2248301
nice of you to put it in a safer spot

these "dots" are eyespots, they flash them to look like a bigger animal if they feel threatened
>>
>>2244966
>I've never been stung
extremely smug here
>>
File: 2016-10-23 10.57.19.jpg (171KB, 1488x1058px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-23 10.57.19.jpg
171KB, 1488x1058px
since when are these here in europe?
found yesterday
>>
>keep finding spiders in my house
>can't find any info about them
>scrolling /ck/ find pic of the spider

Somebody has to know what kind of spider this is.
>>
File: 6212345600_0e397d371f_b.jpg (309KB, 683x1024px) Image search: [Google]
6212345600_0e397d371f_b.jpg
309KB, 683x1024px
>>2248301
>>2248437
Like he said, eyespots.
Most mantids have them, they can be quite pretty.
Just enter "mantis threat pose" into google images and you'll get some nice images of the variety.
>>
>>2248235
First off you'll need some ventilation. Not necessarily because whatever you put in there would suffocate but to prevent mold. I don't know how exactly you'd do it but replacing the lid with plastic or fiberglass screen would work.

You have some options as to what you can put in there. Smaller terrestrial/burrowing tarantulas or scorpions, small phasmids, a medium mantis, a group of small mantids or roaches is what I can think of right now. Since the lid is on top a centipede could also work but I'd advise against it. For all of these except the mantids the light is optional. You really only need it for plant growth if you feel like putting plants in there.
>>
>>2248547
>>2248437

Thank you both very much!

Have a great week ahead, all!
>>
File: 20161023_135433_HDR~2.jpg (3MB, 2988x4437px) Image search: [Google]
20161023_135433_HDR~2.jpg
3MB, 2988x4437px
I found this crawling down a tree today
>>
>>2248871
did you eat it?
>>
>>2248872
No
>>
>>2248878
gay
>>
>>2248628
Alright thanks for the input, I'll try to find a way to get a screen top, but that shouldn't be too hard. Probably can just buy a large piece of it and cut it into shape.

It would be cool to also grow some plants that were native to whatever I decide to put into the tank.

A mantis would be cool I think
>>
File: 2016-10-23-19-28-07-714786667.jpg (6KB, 254x198px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-23-19-28-07-714786667.jpg
6KB, 254x198px
Got to see one of these bad boys today
Bee killer
Or
Robber fly
These guys are massive

Bee killers resemblebumblebeesandcarpenter bees in shape and coloration. They generally mimic all of the five bumblebee species occurring in Florida (Stange 1992). They make a beelike hum or buzz when flying (Linsley 1960).
-http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/misc/flies/bee_killers.htm

Amazing flys
>>
>>2249208

That is pretty impressive.

>>2248871

Neat. I wonder what it will become. Its odd how terrifying their faces can be up close and yet metamorph into such beautiful elegant creatures.
>>
Flipfag here, got bit by bloodsucker or a kissing bug. My face swelled for about a few hours. My mother said just drink lots of water, drink some medicine she gave and piss regularly. Common occurrence here for a lot of people, I think this happened before when I was a kid. Should I be worried?
>>
>>2249408
well, assassin big in tropical regions can transmit some serious deseases/parasites
>>
fuck
my Nephila-slings are all male
>>
>>2247926
1st source is just an abstract, third only applies to tiny tiny babbies, and bagheera Kiplingi is a weird exception that lucked out and evolved on a magic fucking tree.

That being said 2nd link was amazing i stand corrected
>>
>>2248935
If you want a mantis these species could work:
Sphodromantis viridis (or any other Sphodromantis) as a typical beginner species, has to be kept solitary (Hierodula might be a bit big for that enclosure).

Phyllocrania paradoxa, another very easy species that you can keep in groups.

Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii might work but for an enclosure that big it seems like a waste as you have to keep them solitary as well.

For general info and caresheets take a look at this and read through the "general" stuff and the care sheets for the species I recommended: http://www.mantisonline.eu/index.php?lan=en&show=general

Navigation is a bit weird on that site and the english is a bit spotty in places but this site has the most comprehensive and complete list of species information I've seen so far.

>>2249481
>1st source is just an abstract
Whoops, sorry. Posted that from my uni internet access and forgot the fulltext isn't free. Can't seem to find a free source for that article tough, sadly.
>>
>>2245743
Nice haha that's awesome
>>
>>2245097
Where in fl bro?
>>2247745
Once a year? Holy shit
>>
>>2249481
I wanted to know, precisely to feed the younglings once they hatch.

I heard of people that gives honey to their jumping spiders, don't know if that's a good diet, but the spiders don't seem to have a problem with it, this only applies to salticidae tough, I never heard of other spider that eats anything but meat.

>>2249502
He's exaggerating or don't pay much attention to it, wich it's fine, tarantulas aren't demanding pets.
>>
File: 2016-10-24 19.15.53.jpg (2MB, 3767x2055px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-24 19.15.53.jpg
2MB, 3767x2055px
Can you please help me impove my hermitcrab tank?
I want to make it better
more plants? more hides? more wood?

For size reference, the tank is 100cm long, 50 deep and 60 high
the sand part is about 15cm deep, the earth parts go all the way down, if anyone is interested

pic is the tank in its current state
>>
File: 20161025_095316.jpg (815KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161025_095316.jpg
815KB, 2048x1152px
There's a swarm of these in my yard. It's spring. These are ants, right? What is happening here? Do they just grow wings for spring?
>>
File: 20161025_095259.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161025_095259.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>2249997
Btw Australia
>>
>>2249706
Bigger hides
Bigger water dishes maybe? Depends on the species of hermit crabs you have.

Otherwise it's already perfect for them.

>>2249997
>>2249999
Those look like workers.
Do they have wings? If they do they're currently having a nuptial flight.

No idea what species that is tho.
>>
>>2249997
>>2249999
The habitus doesn't really look like an ant to me, especially those spread wings don't fit. I'm pretty sure those are flies.
>>
File: robber.jpg (329KB, 2373x1685px) Image search: [Google]
robber.jpg
329KB, 2373x1685px
>>2244791
Robber flies...semi-favorite insect. Built to strong-arm and consume similarly sized insects. Look at those thick ass legs.
>>
File: robber fly.jpg (64KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
robber fly.jpg
64KB, 1280x720px
>>2249208
Robber flies are bad ass
>>
File: there_is_only_crab.jpg (135KB, 619x545px) Image search: [Google]
there_is_only_crab.jpg
135KB, 619x545px
How do I take the best care of a moon crab?
I've read a bunch of care sheets but is there any tips and tricks you guys have for me?
>>
File: 20161024_122307.jpg (751KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161024_122307.jpg
751KB, 2048x1152px
How long do these take to open up?
I'm going to start timing.
I'm going to have a lot of these Chrysalis soon. Any tips of stopping tiny wasps from laying eggs and parasitising them? I am thinking of moving them away from the host plant so the wasps can't find them. But I've noticed that some naturally crawl far away on their own before forming the Chrysalis anyway, it's not many as far as I know. By helping the ones that don't naturally crawl away I could be messing with their evolution though. It triggers me seeing wasps all over them.
>>
File: Rainbow_crab.jpg (1MB, 1984x1488px) Image search: [Google]
Rainbow_crab.jpg
1MB, 1984x1488px
>>2250118
>How do I take the best care of a moon crab?

2 water dishes.
1 with saltwater and the other with calcium enriched freshwater.

Best substrate would be cocos-fiber earth mixed with a sand/loam mix. Fill it in high since they dig burrows.

For a single crab a 5 gallon tank would be enough. I'd keep them in a group of 1 male and 2 females though, so a 15 gallon tank would be fine.

They always need high humidity and a temperature of 77 - 86f (25-30c)

For food you can feed almost anything since they're omnivorous.
>>
>>2250379
I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to recognize the species but I don't so I can only give general advice. If you're in a tropical country it could take anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months, if you're in a temperate soon that shit ain't gonna hatch until spring, it's in diapause and needs cool temperatures until it gets warm outside again, if you took it inside it's dead.
>>
>>2250516
>temperate soon
*temperate zone

what is wrong with my brain
>>
>>2250005
>Bigger water dishes maybe?
thanks, reminded me of what I wanted to buy a few weeks ago, but somehow forgot to look for bigger ones

>Depends on the species of hermit crabs you have.
C. rugosus and C. brevimanus
>>
My Phidippus regius female just molted and is now adult!

How long until I can put her and the male (which has been adult for about 3 weeks now) together? And how do I best go about it?
>>
I found a Lasius niger queen today and for the life of me i cannot find a test tube in any shop in town, i've even gone to pharmacies and i cant find that.
Are there any viable alternatives?
>>
>>2251451
wait 2 to 3 weeks and just open noth enclosures and let the male find the female
>>
>>2250739
What I did.

Let them see each other first, wait around one week and then put them togheter, take into consideration that the male would not live long after the mating.

Once he see her, the male would not eat, after the mating the female would be extremely hungry, the nesting would take as much time as it has to, don't disturb the enclosure, cause she will consider moving the location of the egg sack.

I'm still curious about what to feed the younglings.

In a unrelated question, what should I do with an almost unknow species?

I found one that just have one male specimen collected in 1936, do I give it to my local enthomologist?
>>
File: 2016-10-27 20.14.05.jpg (565KB, 2276x1058px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-27 20.14.05.jpg
565KB, 2276x1058px
Took me a while to find this species, but finally they arrived

pic was taken while relocating them to their new enclosure, I do not use egg crates, just in case you are wondering
>>
File: 2016-10-27 20.23.40.jpg (774KB, 1539x2172px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-27 20.23.40.jpg
774KB, 1539x2172px
>>2252678
>>
Does anyone know a nice looking roach which breeds relatively fast?
Max size should be about 3-4cm

Would love to keep T. olegrandjeani, but I heard they breed really slowly
Well, maybe I´ll still get this species, but not as feeders
>>
>>2252678
>>2252681
Well, mind telling us what the species actually is?
>>
File: butterbigs.jpg (2MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
butterbigs.jpg
2MB, 4000x3000px
who /monarch/ here
>>
File: pureproteins.jpg (32KB, 400x299px) Image search: [Google]
pureproteins.jpg
32KB, 400x299px
>>2252722
shelfordella lateralis - Turkestan Roach

a.k.a red runners.

Anything over 3-4 cm you just get dubia roaches.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-27-15-02-04.jpg (2MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-27-15-02-04.jpg
2MB, 1440x2560px
>>2252738
Yet another year i have tricked these retard bugs into thinking this is mexico
How many generations until this becomes a real breeding ground they know to come back to?
>>
>>2252736
Psytalla horrida
>>
>>2252741
>How many generations until this becomes a real breeding ground they know to come back to?

Never. If Trump gets elected he will build a giant net and they will pay for it.
>>
>>2252745
the big boy caterpillar is probably bigger than trump's fingers
>>
>>2252740
good Idea, but I heard that they can be a pest if they escape.
Is that true?

How fast do Lucihormetica sp. breed? Or Gyna sp.?

Sory for the stupid questions, but I´m a roach-noob (but absolutely not a invert-noob)
>>
File: ROACHESFORDAYSSON.jpg (255KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ROACHESFORDAYSSON.jpg
255KB, 1920x1080px
>>2252747
>good Idea, but I heard that they can be a pest if they escape.

They can if your place is dirty as fuck and they find enough food/water.
Also they need lots of warmth.

Though they can't climb flat surfaces so the risk of them escaping is pretty much 0%

Hell I keep them in an old 7 gallon high (30 liter) aquarium without a cover and haven't had a single roach escape.

>How fast do Lucihormetica sp. breed? Or Gyna sp.?

Wouldn't bother, they're slow breeders.
Make good pets though since some of them glow in the dark.
>>
>>2251589
>>2251599
Is it possible the female is releasing hormones or something? The male, even though he can't see her (I made sure of that) seems very excited the last few days, running aorund and waggling his front legs at everything.
>>
>gigantic arthropod/insect collection
>never tell anyone about it because people will think i'm weird
help me anons
>>
>>2253346
Yeah. I wish more people cared.
>>
>>2253348
I don't think they'd go that far anon. PETA is dumb, but probably not that dumb.
>>
>>2253349
>PETA is dumb, but probably not that dumb.

Hahahaha
HAHAHAHAHA

You have NO idea how fucking retarded PETA actually is, do you?
>>
>>2253351
I'd hope they'd at least realize bugs have no emotions and are just animals.
>>2253350
That's retarded. If I released any of my pets, they'd be dead within days. It's too cold for them.
>>
>>2253356
I give my centipede and scorpion live meat every week. Are they against that? They won't eat anything else. It's nature.
>>
File: friend.webm (2MB, 540x950px) Image search: [Google]
friend.webm
2MB, 540x950px
this just showed up in my room, I'll let it fly out once i get ID. it's a diptera that I know...
>>
File: bi.jpg (2MB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
bi.jpg
2MB, 1920x1440px
more retard bugs
>>
File: Dendryphantes niveornatus.jpg (243KB, 848x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Dendryphantes niveornatus.jpg
243KB, 848x1280px
>>2253358
PETA never cared about arthropods, they probably are the ones that scream. kill it with fire.

>>2253305
Probably.

I mentioned this earlier, but I found a picture now, this a Dendryphantes niveornatus, the only specimen, was collected near here in 1936, and now I'm 98.07% sure that I have one of them, making it the only living specimen known to science, but science doesn't come here often, so it doesn't means much.

The females are unknown, and I can't find one, I got lucky with the male I found, what do I do?

I don't know any enthomologists, and the museums don't do conservation, do I make him a facebook page so I can get him laid?

He's really well behaved, but I don't want to handle him much, cause if he bites me, it could have unexpected consequences.
>>
>>2253369
Hermetia illucens, aka black soldier fly

They are great live food, very nutritious and healthy for a lot of exotic pets.
>>
>>2253377
something something dont feed pets wild animals
>>
>>2253388
Not really. Feeding arthropods with wild animals that aren't from the same region as them is usually harmless and often beneficial.

I feed my spiders and mantids a variety of wild animals all summer and never had anything bad happen. Also I like to think they "enjoy" the variety.
>>
>>2253392
I've been by people not to feed wild bugs to carnivorous arthropods, or maybe it was just roaches.
>>
>>2253377
thanks. out the window it went hopefully to find a mate and breed.
>>
>>2245247
Forgive me but what is that beautiful specimen?
>>
>>2253435
It's a vinegaroon.
>>
>>2252741
Hi Cuteboyswinagain
>>
>>2244722
>Arthropods are small on land nowadays because they are outcompeted by other animals, not because of lack of oxygen.

But all arthropods are relatively small, which is an odd phenomena given how diverse and widespread they've been.

I don't doubt what you say, but as it turns out, oxygen density of the atmosphere they live in might be what establishes an upper limit to their size. Researches have calculated the maximum upper limit to the size of insects (with a body plan that can support delivery of oxygen from our atmosphere to all their tissue at subsistence levels) and they came up with something approximately as large as a longhorn beetle species that happens to be the largest species with an insect body plan alive today.

http://www.livescience.com/1083-oxygen-giant-bugs.html
>>
File: Giant-Isopod-with-cat.jpg (31KB, 636x357px) Image search: [Google]
Giant-Isopod-with-cat.jpg
31KB, 636x357px
>>2253650
How do you explain deep water gigantism?

Rememerber that this are also arthropods, and they grow to abnormal sizes, a lot bigger than a longhorn beetle, with lower levels of oxygen.

I think that is related to pressure, not just oxygen levels, atmospheric pressure was different in the Cambric.
>>
>>2253674
oh my god I want them both
>>
File: SAM_61231.jpg (189KB, 2598x1772px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_61231.jpg
189KB, 2598x1772px
>>2253374
Here it is.
>>
File: SAM_61291.jpg (194KB, 2310x1555px) Image search: [Google]
SAM_61291.jpg
194KB, 2310x1555px
>>2253833
Better pic of the back markings, it has some oversized fangs, like funnel weaver size compared to the body, but it's not prone to bite at all.
>>
>>2253833
He's adorable! Holy shit!
>>
File: 2016-10-29 11.30.49.jpg (708KB, 2918x1709px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-29 11.30.49.jpg
708KB, 2918x1709px
>>
File: 2016-10-29 17.32.05.jpg (445KB, 1528x1251px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-29 17.32.05.jpg
445KB, 1528x1251px
well, looks like the P. horrida nymphs are already able to fight locusts
>>
File: 10-09-4472-terrarium.jpg (6KB, 166x227px) Image search: [Google]
10-09-4472-terrarium.jpg
6KB, 166x227px
>>2254011
forgot to mention, does anyone here have any experiences with terrariums like pic related?(shitty pic, but you get the point)

Are they any good for arid/semiarid species like P. horrida?
Thinking about getting one for them, because the apparently shut pretty tight.
>>
>>2254011
I usually feed my adult roaches about 1/4 his size. How big of prey can they take?
>>
File: IMG_20161029_184222.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161029_184222.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
Cone-head mantis (Empusa pennata) I found today :) still a nymph.
found the info about what it was here : http://iberianature.com/lucyblog/2010/11/close-encounter-on-montjuic-a-cone-head-mantis/
>>
File: Screenshot_20161026-220715.jpg (206KB, 608x542px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161026-220715.jpg
206KB, 608x542px
>>2241657
glug glug
feed me eggs
feed me eggs
feed me eggs
feed me eggs
>>
>>2253374
i remember reading a peta article full of scientific errors about spiders and why its evil to own them as pets. sorry i can't find it. but they cited bagheera kiplingi as a "vegan spider" and the maternal care of the "spider" damon diadema, as well as how lonely and stressed pet spiders are. i shit you not
>>
File: 2016-10-30 05.53.39.jpg (503KB, 1130x1646px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-30 05.53.39.jpg
503KB, 1130x1646px
>>2254259
which roaches do you feed yours?

They can take out prey about twice the size of themself apparently.
But they share the bigger prey
>>
>>2254493
I usually feed him dubia nymphs, but he doesn't eat much, and I usually just find corpses of prey that he hadn't eaten right away. Would adults be communal with nymphs?
>>
>>2254513
>Would adults be communal with nymphs?
I don't know if it works with Psytalla (I have no adults yet), but I had 2 of the 3 available Platymeris sp. before.
I always left the nymphs with the adults, sure, there were some cases of cannibalism, but these were the exception. The nymphs are safe once they molt into instar 2 in my experience.
Also, they bred like crazy, so It was no problem for me if some nymphs got eaten.

So I guess that would also be the case with Psytalla

>I usually feed HIM dubia nymphs, but HE doesn't eat much
do you only have one?
maybe that's why it doesn't eat (just an assumption!)
Because, like Platymeris, my Psytalla hang out togeter pretty much all the time
>>
I'm looking for an Isopod species.
I know what it looks like, but I can't remember it's name

It is mostly light grey and yellow, kinda like Porcellio haasi, but body-wise more like P. expansus.
It had two pretty long Uro-/Exopods in the back

It apparently prefers dry conditions.

saw this species at the last reptile expo, but sadly didn't buy it and didn't even take a pic of it/the name tag

anybody knows what I'm talking about?
>>
Got myself 6 madagascar hissers. They're always hiding and being panicky little shits.

How do I train them to be proud of themselves, brave and hang around in visible places?
>>
File: porcellio.jpg (187KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
porcellio.jpg
187KB, 1024x768px
>>2254566
This one? by the way I just googled Porcellio.

>>2254576
Tricky question, maybe changing the light to something that don't scare them, according to bugguy you can correlate antennae position with emotional display in roaches, theoretically you could train them, in the sense that you can change the conditions to be more pleasant to them, cause roaches don't have memory based learning as far as I know.
>>
File: 1438710742070_20160210_224407.jpg (23KB, 252x243px) Image search: [Google]
1438710742070_20160210_224407.jpg
23KB, 252x243px
>>2254550
Yeah he's by himself, is that a bad thing?
>>
File: image.jpg (73KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73KB, 768x1024px
Found this under my hood a few years ago. Is it a molt?
>>
File: 2016-10-30 17.22.51.jpg (449KB, 2112x1742px) Image search: [Google]
2016-10-30 17.22.51.jpg
449KB, 2112x1742px
>>2254706
yes

>>2254675
I don't know, I only know that they are pretty "social"
they hang out together and many times hunt together

but I do not know if they NEED company

here, they snack on a locust together.
pic is so "foggy" because I took it through the damn plastic container
>>
>>2254711
Often times, he might approach the food, then get disinterested or flee if I try to move the prey with tongs. He is very finnicky.
>>
>>2254716
maybe you shold stop pestering it with the tweezers

does it have a fat belly?
>>
>>2254023
bumping my question
>>
>>2254729
No, and I don't pester him, I coax his food to walk towards him, because the dubias either dont move or try to burrow away from him and all he does is stare.
>>
>>2254876
Do you have a pic of him/his enclosure?

and have you tried different feeders?
or freshly killed ones?
>>
File: 1450296064218.gif (381KB, 286x282px) Image search: [Google]
1450296064218.gif
381KB, 286x282px
>>2255310
Honestly, I don't have the heart to personally kill a roach or any other feeder. I get upset if they struggle while i'm moving them with tongs and try not to hurt them. I can get a pic tommorow.
>>
>>2255315
where is the pic?
>>
>>2255862
I'll have it tommorow, hopefully.
>>
File: 2016-11-01 16.06.01.jpg (633KB, 2152x1410px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-01 16.06.01.jpg
633KB, 2152x1410px
>>
Anyone here breeding Eurycotis opaca?
Would they be suitable as "occasional feeders"?
or do they breed too slow?
>>
>>2256075
Cute!

What species?
>>
>>2256127
P. marginemaculatus
>>
>>2253373
That is a monarch butterfly caterpillar, very distinctive appearance and coloring.
>>
>>2256282
no shit famil
I've been talking about these monarchs every time I posted this thread
>>
>>2241657
Hey /an/, /tg/ here. Just wanted to let you know we are currently working in a bug themed RPG called BugWorld. If you want to help out then here is our Discord server.

https://discord.gg/ZgQ8w

And here is our current master doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pbF8KETro8UPOSZ2V4Uw1xoWHDa8QI3mXqpHs93VwTM/mobilebasic
>>
>>2256810
Discord doesn't work.
>>
>>2256830
I'll set it for 24 hours.

https://discord.gg/HDES3
>>
File: 20161102_180856.jpg (1MB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
20161102_180856.jpg
1MB, 900x1600px
>has tons of places where she could molt hidden and in peace
>chooses this place, right out in the open
????

On a related note: Where do I get an adult male D. diadema in central yurop now? Now that I'm 100% certain I have two adult females it's time to look for one.

>>2256810
I've skimmed through some of that and I'm not sure how you expect us to help. It's quite far off into the realm of fantasy so you can basically do whatever you like with it anyway.
>>
File: 20161102_180904.jpg (1MB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
20161102_180904.jpg
1MB, 900x1600px
>>2256904
She's very pretty now though.
>>
File: 20161102_182228.jpg (778KB, 900x1600px) Image search: [Google]
20161102_182228.jpg
778KB, 900x1600px
>>2256906
Pretty spooky.
>>
>>2244359
>mild winters
I live in Massachusetts... HOW are they not allowed here?

Does anybody know any way I could 'acquire' some GALS, preferably without getting v&'d?
>>
>>2257014
Maybe because they aren't regulated on an individual state basis but for the whole country, so you can't have any because they'd be a problem in Florida.

Also Europe is a lot further north than most people think. Paris is on the same latitude as Quebec, Berlin and London are as far north as Newfoundland and Stockholm and Oslo are the same latitude as Alaska.
>>
Are there any tropical scorpions (by which I mean ones that you can keep at room temperature) that are a bit more active than for example Pandinus species?

How about Heterometrus?
>>
File: emperorscorpions.jpg (173KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
emperorscorpions.jpg
173KB, 640x427px
>>2257054
An emperor scorpion of course.

Get some UV lights and make him look badass and vaporware.

>>2254711
They hunt in packs?, I have to see that, I have only seen wasp hunt together, social bugs are scary.
>>
>>2256904
I figured fellow /an/ posters might find it interesting. I put up the discord link for anyone who wants to help out.
>>
File: 2016-11-03 09.41.13.jpg (604KB, 1194x1485px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-03 09.41.13.jpg
604KB, 1194x1485px
>>2257103
>They hunt in packs?
Well, I wouldn't call it "coordinated pack hunting".
It's more like they notice the same prey item at the same time and just hold and kill it together
I will film it for you when I feed them next time

>>2256904
>Where do I get an adult male D. diadema in central yurop now?
are you at hamm in december?
I'm sure there would be some for sale

but you don't have to hurry, if she just now reached sexual maturity, you have a few more years to find her a mate
>>
>>2241663
Taran tulas are hella cute tho
>>
File: p1380962218-3.jpg (69KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
p1380962218-3.jpg
69KB, 300x450px
Do jumping spiders have cannibalistic tendencies? I've got a rather big tank empty and was thinking about keeping a group of P. regius in there.
>>
>>2257395
>are you at hamm in december?
Well, it appears I'll have to be. I kinda just wanted to order one online and have it this weekend but I guess I'll have to wait until then.

I talked to one of the guys that organizes this expo though recently. They have their own little terrarium supply shop now, and it's only 10 minutes away from me which is kinda awesome.
Now I just have to convince them to carry centipedes in the store. When I suggested it (because I might have pedelings soon) he didn't seem too thrilled.
>>
File: 20161103_165302(0).jpg (909KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
20161103_165302(0).jpg
909KB, 1600x900px
This is where this idiot decided to "sleep" today.

Are you fucking serious?
>>
>>2257536
THICC
>>
File: 17211.jpg (140KB, 624x500px) Image search: [Google]
17211.jpg
140KB, 624x500px
>>2257521
They kill other spiders only in particular situations, more specifically, mating season, they can live with each other as long as there's enough food, they can also live with other species of jumping spiders, they dance to each other, like they do with a mirror, it almost never ends in agression, I had a Menemerus and a Dendryphantes together for months.

Some spiders are specific spider eaters, like brown recluses, or the Portia spider.

Phidippus are very interesting, never had one myself, but I have seen underground Phidippus fights, those are put in a situation where they are forced to fight, in experience they don't fight that often, outside mating season, where everything goes and they attack each other in the sleep.

As a bonus here's a Singapore undergroung jumping spider match, Mr. Karate vs Hapy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVIl_DG_vro
>>
can I put a tarantula in a five gallon or is that not big enough?
>>
>>2257769
Depends on the tarantula.
>>
>>2257633
An adult locust every other day or a dubia roach every two days or so with no signs of slowing down. And she isn't even as fat as she was when I got her.
>>
>>2241663

> posts a pic of a Baboon Spider
> says tarantulas are boring

Niggaaaa..........
>>
>>2244966

> be me, ten years old in East Texas
> notice fuzzy little bug on back porch
> poke with grass stem
> it makes a squeaky sound
> that's cute, better pick it up and take it to mom because she like cute thi..
>OHGODMYHANDTHEPAINOHGODTHEPAINMYHANDISONFIREMYWORLDISPAIN!!!!!
> never touched one again
>>
>>2258247

Go ahead and poke it, anon.
>>
>>2258261
As much as I hate you I have to agree with you on this one. It's not just americans either, most bite reports of anything that does not cause systemic damage is greatly exaggerated, probably for the "wow i'm so badass" factor.

Most of them are basically just pain and swelling of various degrees over various amounts of time. Fucking bohoo. It's like these people never got stung by a wasp or bee in their lifes.
>>
File: 1477598343294.png (123KB, 265x393px) Image search: [Google]
1477598343294.png
123KB, 265x393px
>>2258261
>>2258279
>>2258283
>i'm such a badass this venom doesn't hurt at all haha stupid americans
>>
>>2257536
Why doesn't my centipede ever leave his burrow or eat. He was walking around constantly when I put him in his new habitat. S. polymorpha, btw.
>>
>>2258261
>>2258283

What happened buggay? Why did you delete your shit?
>>
>>2258323
The only ones that consistently are active during the day are the really big motherfuckers like gigantea or galapagoensis.
Most do come out during the night though, you're probably just not seeing them. Pro tip: Put red LEDs over your enclosure and you can watch them at night without disturbing them.

Other reasons why your pede would stay burrowed are too low humidity, preparing for a molt or simply not enough food. I've found that if you feed more they actually get more active.
Of course there are also just differences between species and I've never kept polymorpha before so I don't know how active they usually are.
>>
>>2258337
I have them kept at a university lab, and I can't usually get to him at night. If I drop a dubia in, they will usually immediately burrow into the substrate never to be found again. However, I am concerned about the humidity, because the tank appears to be right under a vent. I have 3/4th's of the lid taped over, but I fear it might not be enough.
>>
>>2258350
As long as the substrate never dries out at the surface it should be alright. I have lots of plants and moss in my enclosures and they work really well. Ever since I put ground-covering plants in I've had to spray much less.

Put a small water dish in if you haven't already, that helps them too.

A good general rule for ventilation is that 24 hours after spraying extensively there shouldn't be any water visible anymore.
>>
>>2258361
He has a water dish, but i've never seen him use it.
>>
>>2258397
Well, then clearly what you must do is convince whoever is in charge of that pede to also get a S. gigantea or galapagoensis.
>>
>>2258432
It's mine. I know of a S. subspinipes that is for sale. I don't know if I have a tank big enough for it. What do you house yours in?
>>
My H. diardi female just built an eggsac, what the fuck? I haven't put her together with the male yet.

Are the eggs unfertilized and if so is she going to abandon them soon?
>>
Caught a reasonably sized Centipede wandering around my laundry room. What should I feed the bastard? Will he eat Potato bugs, considering that's probably the only thing I can reliably find?
>>
>>2259068
In my experience they will eat damn near anything that's alive. Some of them even eat spiders, and the big tropical ones can prey on mammals and birds. Mean fuckers.
>>
>>2259088
>big tropical ones
This guy is just a run of the mill House Centipede. I'll keep him fed with whatever I can find, and maybe a Cricket or two if I can be bothered to hunt them down or buy him a couple.
>>
>>2259097
Ah, good old Lovecraftian House Centipedes. I once saw one at University crawling across the cafeteria floor, at least two inches long. Pointed it out to a nearby football player and you'd have thought there was a fucking cougar on the loose.
>>
>>2259101
I'll be honest he creeped me the fuck out but now that he's contained it's really not so bad. He's all scrunched up and there's no way I'm going to attempt to handle him to get an accurate measurement but I'd say he's probably only 1.5 inches. Maybe if I catch him real quick after he eventually dies I can get an accurate measurement but that could easily be years from now if I keep him well-fed in his moist environment.
>>
>>2258651
They can make an egg sac without laying the eggs.
>>
>>2259163
there are definitely eggs inside

is there any way to find out if they are fertilized without waiting?
>>
>>2241657
What would be a good first ant colony thing to buy? What ants should i put in em? Is there a guide or something? Also i wanna capture insects and shit and label them and identify them then store em cuz im autistic. Anything on that?
>>
File: 2016-11-07 13.20.01.jpg (312KB, 1611x1003px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-07 13.20.01.jpg
312KB, 1611x1003px
>>2259207
did you buy her as adult female?

Also, has anyone here experiences with the tiny roaches which are sold as "Blaberidae sp. Kenya"?
>>
File: 1477277673609.jpg (376KB, 600x847px) Image search: [Google]
1477277673609.jpg
376KB, 600x847px
>got attached to hissing roaches I bought as feeders a year ago
>fed one to my H. spinifer today
>felt really bad
I shouldn't have gotten attached.
>>
>>2259608
Any equipment i 100% need?
>>
File: gPqLON2.jpg (258KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
gPqLON2.jpg
258KB, 2448x3264px
>>2242052
man I found one of these one the bus once, I had never seen anything like it before
>>
>>2260123
snakefly
>>
>tfw you used to have hermit crabs but now they're all dead because you were 14 and your parents didnt give a shit
I had one damn near the size of a baseball, can any of them get that big or only certain species?
Whenever we'd forget to put the lid on, he would actually climb out. Everytime I would find him in my shoe
>>
>>2260134
>can any of them get that big or only certain species?
Coeonobita rugosus and C. compressus dtay relatively small (a bit smaller than a tennisball) the other available species get pretty big
here is a pic of a big. C. clypeatus (purple pincer)
>>
File: SC-2.jpg (250KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
SC-2.jpg
250KB, 1000x667px
>>2260152
C. brevimanus can get even bigger, they are the biggest land hermit species (besides B. latro, but I'm talking about Coenobita sp.)

But it takes many years for a hermit crab to grow to this size, about 30-40 years, if not more
>>
File: 2016-11-08 06.56.36.jpg (312KB, 1426x692px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-08 06.56.36.jpg
312KB, 1426x692px
>>2260152
>>2260155
and here is my hermit tank, with C. rugosus and C. brevimanus

The sand part is about 15cm deep, the earth parts much higher (they go all the way down to the bottom of the tank)

the tank is a meter long

Also, I have a question. I was told it is possible to put mourning geckos in with the hermits, but I don't know if it's true
What do you guys think?
>>
>>2260158
That's an awesome setup. How much/how long did it take to create?
>>
>>2242359
We just gonna ignore that oozing thumb?
>>
>>2242376
We have problems with them because they like to fucking make nests in holes in the ground and make huge nests where people can step on unwittingly.

While not typically aggressive when scouting. You may accidentally mow over their nest that grass grew over or hit a stump with thousands of them in it.
>>
>>2259735
>did you buy her as adult female?
Apparently. The seller wasn't sure be he assumed subadult and I haven't seen her molt since then so apparently she was adult.
She's taking care of the eggs really well, guess I'll wait it out and see what happens.
>>
File: 20161108_114434.jpg (3MB, 2880x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20161108_114434.jpg
3MB, 2880x2160px
Dumping collection
1 AGB
Hopefully the image isn't flipped.
>>
File: 20161108_114640.jpg (2MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20161108_114640.jpg
2MB, 2160x2160px
Stupid 4chan rotates my images. There's a Scolopendra polymorpha in there.
>>
File: 20161108_114651.jpg (2MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20161108_114651.jpg
2MB, 2160x2160px
Heterometrus spinifer enjoying a roach.
>>
File: 20161108_114740.jpg (2MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20161108_114740.jpg
2MB, 2160x2160px
Sorry about the images.
Various darkling and ground beetles
>>
File: 20161108_114904.jpg (2MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20161108_114904.jpg
2MB, 2160x2160px
Jerusalem Cricket
>>
File: 20161108_115012.jpg (2MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20161108_115012.jpg
2MB, 2160x2160px
Psytalla horrid adult that I promised to post a while ago.
>>
File: 20161108_115208.jpg (2MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20161108_115208.jpg
2MB, 2160x2160px
Various millipedes, with two visible. Two AGB babies and giant blue baby in there I'm raising.
>>
File: 20161108_115334.jpg (2MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20161108_115334.jpg
2MB, 2160x2160px
Vinegaroon
>>
File: 20161108_115508.jpg (2MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20161108_115508.jpg
2MB, 2160x2160px
Pasimachus viridans ground beetle
>>
File: 20161108_115541.jpg (2MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20161108_115541.jpg
2MB, 2160x2160px
Spooky roach tank
>>
File: 20161108_115643.jpg (2MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20161108_115643.jpg
2MB, 2160x2160px
Mexican Red Rump tarantula somewhere in there
>>
>insect ranchers
You guys ever eat any of your feeder insects out of curiosity?
>>
File: Beetle_Jelly.jpg (85KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Beetle_Jelly.jpg
85KB, 800x600px
>>2260372

I've never eaten feeder insects but I've tried some of these bad boys once.
>>
File: 1476571656363.jpg (8KB, 273x273px) Image search: [Google]
1476571656363.jpg
8KB, 273x273px
>>2260362
I-It's fast
>>
File: 1477273346733.jpg (846KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1477273346733.jpg
846KB, 1000x1000px
>>2260694
I took 3 pics and that was the closest it got to staying still. He hasn't ate yet, i'm not sure what to feed him. He isn't taking dubias.
>>
>>2260696
Have you tried the classic cricket?
>>
>>2260707
I'm stuck in a rural University town with no petshop for twenty miles. And I don't have a car.
>>
tfw you live in california and all the cool phasmids and giant millipedes are illegal
>>
>>2260711
Wild crickets?
>>
>>2260716
How do I catch them? I also don't want to feed him any pesticides.
>>2260714
I live in NY and I was able to get an AGB at a reptile show.
>>
>>2260696
Reported for off topic moon man
>>
My mantis just molted and she has the old "skin" attached to the back of her body. Should I carefully take it off?
>>
I'm feeding my Assassin Bug "Trump" a HillRoach tommorow as celebration of Donald's victory.
>>
>>2260759
pic pls

but you have to be fast
>>
>>226076
Nevermind, she just took it off.
She molted during the night so I didn't know if she is already finished. But anyways thank you
>>
Why the fuck do these hellish things start showing up inside my home every time it rains?
>>
>>2261517
Because durrr most creatures don't really like living in the rain and your house is warm, insulated, and likely climate controlled with potential sources of food.
>>
>>2261522
Huh, but rain is awesome...

So how do I prevent these things from getting in? They're annoying as shit and really take my attention off things I can't possibly focus on anything after seeing a bug
>>
>>2260718
Do not feed wild caught anything unless you want pesticides and parasites.
>>
File: 1474306460968.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
1474306460968.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>2261527
>I can't possibly focus on anything after seeing a bug

Have you considered adderall?
>>
>>2261630
I do treat my ADHD but it's still hard to do anything when fucking bugs keeps flying all over the place and I get paranoid about them flying into my face
>>
>>2261639
>I get paranoid about them flying into my face
and then what? they fly away

I don't get it
>>
>>2261658
If they touch his face he'll die from the lethal venom they inject into his skin. Or they'll crawl inside of one of his orifices and kill him.
>>
File: IMG_0250.jpg (151KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0250.jpg
151KB, 640x480px
Does anyone else here breed beetles?
>>
>>2261766
What are those? they look amazing.

>>2261578
You live in terrible places for wildlife, but wild caught it's the only option if they don't eat, pet store food, that or breeding your own food.
>>
>>2261776

Those are Pachnoda marginata peregrina, often referred to as sun beetles or Kongo flower beetles. Here in Europe their grubs are available in most pet stores that sell feeding insects. It's probably the most commonly bred beetle in captivity next to Zophobas morio.
The other 2 with the darker pattern are Pachnoda sinuata flaviventris.
>>
>>2241677
You probably could have just asked instead of crying about it
>>
File: 1474317340031.jpg (22KB, 400x340px) Image search: [Google]
1474317340031.jpg
22KB, 400x340px
>>2261766
I breed darkling beatles for their mealworms.

I never have to buy them anymore they spawn like crazy.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Can someone identify this guy? I was thinking a queen ant of some kind but really wouldn't know.
>>
>>2261942

Looks like an oil beetle to me.
>>
>>2261942
>>2261973
definitely an oil beetle
>>
hi /bug/ are green lacewings alright to have in the house or are they more of a pest people remove from their house, there is a couple of them right now and i live in aus, thank you.
>>
>>2262245
their larvae eat aphids
so they are absolutely not a pest

also, does anyone know where I can get Scolopendra proof Terrariums in central europe?
>>
>>2262303
ah ok thats good to know, i was never actually thinking of 'removing' them but thank you for the info.
>>
>>2262303
>does anyone know where I can get Scolopendra proof Terrariums in central europe?

You have them custom built, it's not expensive.
>>
>>2262659
thanks
what should they look like?
similar to a haplotank, only wider?
>>
>>2262902
New thread
>>
File: earwig-earwigs.jpg (3MB, 3839x2559px) Image search: [Google]
earwig-earwigs.jpg
3MB, 3839x2559px
I've been finding about 6 earwigs a day for the past 3 weeks in my new apartment. even after the exterminator came and sprayed outside.

I just fucking STEPPED on one and its creeping me out. Why the fuck is there so many in this basement apartment?

Half a dozen EARWIGS a day IS NOT NORMAL. Ive seen maybe ONE a year previous to this

HOW DO I GET RID OF THESE FUCKING THINGS
ONE ACTUALLY FELL OUT OF MY ROUTER THE OTHER DAY

FUCK
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 119

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.