[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/-Aquarium General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 374
Thread images: 78

File: image.jpg (61KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61KB, 600x300px
Hermit Crabs Are Not Predators Edition

Continued from: >>2232916

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size
-parameters
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

Links:
>How to cycle your tank: http://pastebin.com/x4WmB0Ah
>General aquarium care sheets - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/
>Livestock and plants for sale - http://www.petsolutions.com/ http://www.aquabid.com
>Useful & Extensive database for aquatic plants and their parameters - http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants
>FUCKING GOOGLE
>>
>>2236294
ur mum's hermit crab preyed on me dick last night m8
>>
File: image.jpg (842KB, 2446x1833px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
842KB, 2446x1833px
ghost shrimp has been this color for a month now. What gives?
>>
>>2236330
If you can't tell its under the leaf. He's a milky white. Read that means they are going to die but he's not dead.
>>
>>2236294
Is it possible to keep a small heavily planted tank without a filter? Maybe just a few shrimp? I can do CO2

Otherwise, any recommendations for a small cheap canister filter? I hate hanging filters such an eyesore
>>
File: IMAG3876.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG3876.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Hey guys looking for criticism

Is this ugly?
>>
>>2236381
For Canister, I would always rec Eheim or Fluval. Since you wanna get a small one, you should easily find one below 50 $ - with eheim you could even find a good used one, since they are very reliable. See for example Eheims Aqua Compact https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/technology/external-filters/aquacompact

A small planted tank that can be run without a filter is easily achievable, the easiest would be for inverts such as shrimp since they have a low bioload. Again I would try to at least get some surface agitation in there via a small sponge fiilter or airstone, so the water is not that stagnant.

I would also not run a tank without a filter but with co2, since co2 needs some sort of flow for distribution and can in higher concentrations deplete oxygen from the water which would be a bad thing if you already run low on oxygen via lack of surface agitation/flow.
>>
>>2236383
Why are the tanks only half full? Are you keeping amphibia in there? Doesnt really look ugly, rather pragmatic. Looks like some sort of breeding setup.
>>
>>2236387
From what I can see there are 2 ADFs in the left and a Betta in the right
>>
Fucking people. Selling their used tanks online for more than they're worth. A 10 gallon with a used filter is not worth 80 bucks.
>>
>>2236512
Petco's still doing their dollar per gallon sale in the US, if that helps.
>>
>>2236386
So for a tiny shrimp tank, surface agitation is more important than actually filtering the water?

I'm a college student so I'm trying to bring the cost down as much as possible - I'm thinking like a bowl from the dollar store + a desk lamp.

If its required I can save up for that eheim canister. Thanks for the help
>>
What is this?
>>
File: 20161007_104509.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161007_104509.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>2236579
Ate my pic.
>>
File: 20160924_093505.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20160924_093505.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2236572
Surface agitation is always nice same as a big filter surface. If you wanna save money, via low power consumption/initial cost, get a hamburger mattenfilter, you can diy it even, since its basically just a piece of plastic pipe in a bigger piece of sponge thats on a solid plate. You just hook up an air pump and buy rubber tubing - should run you 20 dollars if you build it yourself and 35 if you buy a fully assembled one. Or you buy a sponge filter but that gives less filter surface and less surface agitation - but it would be fine nonetheless for a small shrimp tank.

The eheim is basically the professional solution to all of this with like 5yrs warranty but would consume more power.

The shrimp tank really could be just a small desk lamp (cfl bulb, 6500k on walmart; cheap) a sponge filter, small grain substrate or pool filter sand, small lavarock/driftwood and some easy plants like javamoss, anubias etc and you should be able to get your whole 5-10gal setup with shrimp and all for less than 100 dollars. If you wanna running cost on the light, you may wanna take a look at small clip on LEDs. Like half the power cost, but expect to pay like 30 $ extra for an led.

Pic is my 2.5 gal shrimp setup
>>
>>2236581
Looks like a carpet anemone.
>1 large mouth
>Too big to be mushroom coral
>Large tentacles
>Fleshy non-conforming body
My bet is it's a carpet anemone.
>>
>>2236603
Thanks. I know next to nothing about aquaria and my office has a lovely reef aquarium that's gotten me interested.
>>
File: 20161006_191108.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20161006_191108.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>2236581
Same organism last night when it was excreting and curling up to sleep.
>>
File: IMAG3987.jpg (838KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG3987.jpg
838KB, 3264x1836px
>>2236387
I do have African dwarf frogs so keeping a low water level is easier on them to swim up and breathe. The Betta is there to just maintain the bacteria
Hopefully I'll be able to create something better looking with my tanks.
>>
>>2236659
You dont need to lower the water level for adfs, I bred them in my youth and still keep three in my planted tank. Only real issue is, that you shouldn't have them in a strong current, since they are bad swimmers.
>>
>>2236659
What also really helped me with aquascaping my tanks was watching james findleys/the green machine.

Really mellow dude with a great eye for details, that has advice for anyone no matter if pro/beginner. Same thing goes for Dennis Wong, maybe check their vids.
>>
File: mystery boyo.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
mystery boyo.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
Can anyone ID this guy? He was caught in missouri but I can't match him to any NA catfish.
>>
>>2236695
American Native Fish are not my strong suit, if someone here cant help you, maybe hit up those guys as planetcatfish.com
>>
>>2236700
thanks mate
>>
>>2236695
I think it's some kind of madtom
>>
File: 14758722753531596194101.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
14758722753531596194101.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
Hey /aqua/

What is all this red shit in my salt water tank?
>>
>>2236721
dat's cyanobacteria
>>
>>2236727
Is it harmful to my fishes?
>>
I have in a 10 gallon tank:

14 Neon tetras.
6 Panda corys.
6 Red cherry shrimp (which i haven't seen in almost 2 weeks).
2 Nerite tiger snails.
1 Delta tail betta (snuggles with the corys and doesn't bother the neons at all, I think I got a twink)

The tank is heavily planted with anobias, jungle val, java moss, 1 marimo, a ton of rotaa indica, bacopa, and a couple of irritating filter clogging cabomba.

It's filtered with an Aquaclear 20 with 2 media bags, a sponge, and a sponge on the intake.

I feed Omega one twice a day, and a hikari sinking wafer once a day. The water is always at 78f with a weekly water change of 2 gallons.

My water has a very slight greenish tint to it but everything seems to be alive and well.

Is this alright or am I fucking my fish up? I'm especially worried about the neons as people told me that they die instantly as soon as you screw up.
>>
>>2236735
For a 10g your stocking seems quite high - unless its really heavy planted, your bioload could give you this greenish tint, due to too much nutrients in the water.

Is the tank somewhat in direct sunlight?
If you maybe could reduce the stock a bit, or rather maybe think about a bigger tank like a 20g, I'm sure the bioload would be easier to manage, you could even up the corycount a bit in a 20.

How does your photoperiod look? 8hours? 10? 12?

Try lowering your lighting via 1-2 hours as another measure, aswell as, try to increase waterchanges.
>>
>>2236730
usually no.

it's harmful to corals and coralline algae. Doesn't really bother fishes usually. Probably helps them since it produces oxygen like a plant does.
>>
File: NeonTetra-Fish.jpg (164KB, 800x541px) Image search: [Google]
NeonTetra-Fish.jpg
164KB, 800x541px
I Love these bastards
>>
>>2236747

LED light, on from 8 to 8. no direct sunlight. As for the stocking. I ordered 12 neons with the assumption that a bunch will die on the way. The dealer shipped me 15 (1 dead in the bag) the other 14 are fine. The corys I got 6 because I was told not to get fewer than that. The betta was a rescue from a friend who was going to flush it if nobody was taking it off him.

The plants are doing so well that I had to remove some cuttings and placed them in my old 2 gallon tank (no fish). Especially the moss.

All the 20 gallon tanks I found are 80$ish which is crazy since my 10 gallon was 14$ from walmart. plus I don't have room on my table for it and stands are stupid expensive (40$+).

I think I'll reduce the light a bit and change water every 5 days, is that good?
>>
>>2236770
Yeah, sounds like the deal - I think that shoule work, also reduce the feeding a bit or rather feed more often, but smaller amounts.

That corything was right, they like shoals of 6 or bigger. Neons themselves are actually quite hardy, when they are captive bred, the problem is, that they are often very inbred, so it evens out.

Petco often does a dollar a gallon sale, so you may wanna take a look for a new tank if you decide to do so.
>>
>>2236832

Yeah, I'm going to feed twice a day instead of 3, and do light from 10 to 8. I might also remove the shrimp to the 2 gallon tank and get rid of the god awful cabomba. Its a pretty plant but I'm sick of all the leaves falling off when fish play with it.

I'd love a full carpet plant someday but I'm not smart enough for Co2 and chemicals. All my plants just grow on their own from the eco-complete substrate. (covered in sand to keep the corys from getting hurt)

I've only been a fish hobbist for 2 months. I'm surprised nothing died yet.
>>
>>2236769
Those are Cardinal Tetra
>>
>>2236381
I reccomend Eheim Classics if you can find a cheap one, otherwise SunSun makes good budget canisters.

>>2236572
yes, that's right. if you're doing a small shrimp tank I recommend just picking up an air pump, some hose, and a sponge. you can get an aquaclear sponge for $.50 on amazon, or get a nice sponge filter for a few dolalrs. if you want plants, get a clamp light from the hardware store.

>>2236735
that's awful crowded, but if your water is good- ammonia and nitrites- you don't need to worry too much. I'd rehome the pandas, they grow almost three inches and they love to swim, so that tank is really way too small.

jungle val grows several feet btw, so get ready for that. if you see some l. repens it's a lovely, hardy plant that grows very fast, I have more of it than I can handle.
>>2236747
are you new/don't post often? I'm not used to someone else being smart and helpful here
>>
>>2236861
>I'm not used to someone else being smart and helpful here
if you're advising newbs about planted tanks you're not really either one.
>>
>>2236863
what do you mean? plants are good for newbies, it helps them fuck up their water less.
>>
Hillstream Loaches any good at algae regulation? I only have experience with Plecos, but my friends saying that the Loaches are better.
>>
>>2236871
they eat algae, I'm not sure how well they do though. it's generally a bad idea to get any kind of fish to eat your algae though... nerites or amanos are better.
>>
>>2236861
Are you sure about the cory thing? When I was researching them it said that they barely get over 2 inches for females and a little smaller than 2inches for males.
>>
>>2236863
Hardy, noob friendly plants exist.
>>
>>2236876
yes you're right. I didn't google the specific species, I just knew it was between two and three inches. it won't kill them or anything, cories are just very active, fun fish. I'd definitely keep an eye out at petco/petsmart for their sales. used tanks are also great.
>>
>>2236878
Can never find used tanks near my town, but I'll totally get a 29G if I can get it for 1$ per gallon.
>>
File: image.jpg (305KB, 1620x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
305KB, 1620x1080px
Just changed out all my old faded decorations and for the first time got a hood light that's isnt just the stock white, got a light pink accent fluorescent. It really does a nice job with color popping. I regret not doing it for the years that I've owned prior aquariums
>>
File: mess.png (97KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
mess.png
97KB, 1366x768px
Sup /aq/, have a scenario for you

>>2236888

Long story short I have fungus in my tank, the one minnow that's left (it's a feeder, so the others didn't die of the fungus) is clearly stressed.

How fucked is everything in the tank, do I have to start it all over or will I just need to replace the substrate? I've been following dustin the tank guy on youtube and he seems to be all about chlorine dips for plants. Advisable or just trash all of them?

Only one plant is showing signs of having the fungus, and it was the only one the turtle really hung around.
>>
>>2236891
you sure it's a fungus and not an algae like black beard?
>>
>>2236891
also because I'm a dick and forgot to add:

20L filled halfway, so 8-10 gallons? Going to add more water tonight though since the turtle isn't going to be in there for a while, probably all the way full. I figure everything will be easier to manage if the pathogens are "diluted" I have a tetra whisper filter for 20 gallons.

Substrate is sand, have a handful of live plants in there. Did a water change a couple days ago.

1 minnow, 1 ghost shrimp. Had them both for a week and a half, would like them to not be stressed out (because I don't like torturing animals on purpose) but their longevity isn't really of concern because they were going to be food anyway, might be down the minnow tonight if the turtle eats. Tank cycled for nearly a week, water was fine at the pet store.

>Nitrate = 20
>Nitrite = 1
>pH = 7
>KH = 80
>GH = 30

I'll hold up on adding more water tonight until after I treat the turtle as planned so I have time to get some insight on that, don't want to fuck things up further than I already have.
>>
File: no worries.png (2MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
no worries.png
2MB, 2560x1600px
>>2236735
holy shit anon is that overstocked! use this
http://aqadvisor.com/

Guys I want to get a Sparkling gourami to replace my dwarf gourami, do you think they are also suceptile to dwarf iridovirus? Also Is a quarantine tank really neccesary? Can I just use a 5 gallon bucket as temporary tank for 1 fish? I really would not like to do another whole tank setup, but I understand the risk reduction in not contaminating my whole tank.
>>
>>2236330
>>2236331
It can take a while before they die, but it does mean something is wrong with them/they're sick.

>>2236381
>Is it possible to keep a small heavily planted tank without a filter? Maybe just a few shrimp?
Sure. CO2 might not be a good idea without some kind of flow, though.
An example:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/22-planted-nano-tanks/113725-window-sill-shrimp-tank.html#/topics/113725?_k=qjgisg

Tom's is the smallest, cheapest commercial canister filter I've seen, but you can DIY one is you're handy.
>>
File: IMG_0659.jpg (804KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0659.jpg
804KB, 1600x1200px
>>2236899
Is there a way to properly tell? I really want to suspect fungus based off of the fact that the only plant is affected, is the one that the turtle was usually hanging around.

Sorry for the xboxheug pic

>>2236910
What word? I guess the ghost shrimp aren't doing so hot either, but they came into the tank like that.

fuggggg
>>
>>2236914
what plant is it? I'm curious now, I'll do a lil research for you. were the fish affected at all?
>>
>>2236902
if you don't mind risking it it's alright to skip quarantine... risky tho. don't do it if you care about your fishes. bucket is fine, but it needs a bubbler/filter and a heater.
>>
>>2236919
Thank you anon, doing a water change right now. I'll delay putting a treatment in the water for now aside from the stuff to put in the water to be changed in, as well as some extra of the API quickstart for ammonia/nitrites because the card says the nitrites at least are in caution levels.

I'm pretty sure the minnow is stressed the fuck out, I've had fish before and I know they're supposed to be somewhat chill but he's been sort of obsessive today, swimming in circles and stuff, favoring corners.

At first I chalked it up to it witnessing the other fish get eaten and just being careful by hiding near the filter, because they would all come out and explore the tank when the turtle wasn't floating around and would act like normal, healthy fish. The shrimp seems behaviorally fine, wouldn't have thought otherwise about it until anon posted about his shrimp's color.

The turtle has SOMETHING on it but I'm not sure if it's algea or not at this point, regardless, turtle is in a dry and warm box until I get this figured out for his sake. Otherwise turtle seemed fine, ate a fish every day, was active and swimming during the day, coming out occasionally at night but mostly sleeping when it was dark.

The plant is a micro sword, got it at petco. Don't remember it looking like that when I initially got it, but it started looking like that within 18 hours of adding it to the tank. I also have a Java fern and two other things in there that I'm not sure of off the top of my head, going to try to remember what they are.
>>
>>2236928
ammonia is the most toxic, did you test for that? everything else is higher than you want, but not bad. I do think that's a fungus growing on your plant, or possibly bacteria... fungus is impossible to get rid of but it's not an issue in a healthy tank. the plant is probably unhealthy and that's why it's being attacked: micro sword needs high light and nutes.

milky ghost shrimp is usually a bacterial infection.

I don't know much about turtles but I do know they need really good filters. your issue is almost certainly water quality. try to find a fast growing plant: all floaters and waterweeds will suck nasty crap out of your water. is your tank fairly new? large enough for a turtle?
>>
>>2236937
Didn't test for ammonia on accident, didn't realize that the strips I bought didn't have an indicator for it, fucking praying that walmart has them elsewise it'll have to wait until tomorrow night.

Everything gets UVB(turtle needs uvb) light for at least 10 hours, so I'll chalk the plants health up to nutrients. Root tabs tomorrow.

Will start treating with artemiss for fungus now that I've got the new water in, and continue treating the turtle for fungus with other items.

Tank is fairly new yes, definitely large enough for a hatchling turtle, filter was a tetra whisper for 20 gallons. Had the tank less than halfway full, maybe just over a quarter, so filter should have been fine.

Should I scrap the media in the filter? Should I treat the entire tank for fungus or just the plants? If just the plants, will artemiss even work on them? How do I make sure that spores aren't hiding out on the rocks in there? I have some river rocks and a lava rock to break the flow from the filter

brb going to walmart
>>
>>2236865
I was mocking your belief that you're the only smart or helpful anon on /aq/ when your 'knowledge' covers babby-tier planted tanks.

I know you aren't self-aware enough to see the humor, but that makes it even more funny.
>>
File: wMHQio6.jpg (55KB, 603x794px) Image search: [Google]
wMHQio6.jpg
55KB, 603x794px
>>2236948
OK
>>
>>2236873
I've had amano before, didnt do anything for algae. Ate excess food though.
>>
File: 2CCGvhw.jpg (200KB, 1980x1320px) Image search: [Google]
2CCGvhw.jpg
200KB, 1980x1320px
Hey, got some sushi and some had caviar on it, would it be safe to put some in the tank as a snack for the fish?
>>
>>2236953
Why tho?
I mean, I wouldn't do it, shit's expensive and might carry a lot of sodium for freshwater. But other than that, I couldn't think of anything else.

My freshwater planted has been settling down and my anubias fucking started puberty after adding CO2, I would post pictures, but the timer on the tank's light is off, and I ain't gonna fuck with that this late to take pics. I'll post an update in the morning.
>>
File: 1469316130279.jpg (200KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1469316130279.jpg
200KB, 1280x800px
>>2236956
yea they love that shit, i put 2 in and a white cloud minnow swallowed one whole, and an albino cory went right after it at the bottom.
>>
>>2236572
If you're cpncerned aboit price, you can get an internal filter for less than $8 on eBay.
You could also get anything from a 1 to 10 gallon full kit for $30.
>>
File: IMG_0617.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0617.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
Where are my axie lovers at?
>>
>>2236970
I've got one, but her tank is covered in diatoms right now.
>>
Got a 75 gallon given to me... What do?
>>
>>2236990
Get rid of it.
>>
File: 20161008_083859.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20161008_083859.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2236852
I'm sure you can manage, if you do that. Also, feel free to use marsilea hirsuta as a carpeting plant - as long as you have some light, it should carpet, even without co2 - pic is my carpet in my shrimp tank which uses no co2.

>>2236861
I actually do post often here, but mostly euro hours.
>>
File: 20161005_182047.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20161005_182047.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2236902
Sparkling owner from last thread here -
From what I read there is only instances of dwarf gourami succumbing to this virus, many think it comes from overbreeding them. Only other species that is reported to also be affected by Irido is Betta splendens, from my findings. No reports to other anabantoids having this virus. Same as the DG, Bettas are also often very overbred, so my assumption is, that this virus doesn't hurt sparkling gourami, since they are not bred that excessively, due to lower demand, less time in the fish trade.
>>
>>2236948
I'm actually the guy you are referring to.
I do have many years in this hobby, but don't that think I'm some aquarium genius. For example I do not know very much about saltwater, big south american or african cichlids and ponds because I never kept those. If there is something I can contribute though, due to experience and well funded knowledge, I'm partial to helping out here, because these people, actually made the effort to ask, often in a friendly manner.
>>
>>2237045
I understand, you're a big fish in a very small puddle, knowledge-wise.

I just enjoyed the irony of watching you stretch your fins and pat yourself on the back.

still enjoying it actually.

carry on, you're surely the only knowledgeable and helpful anon here. Probably very rich and good looking too.
>>
>>2236381
I've kept a fifty gallon and a ninety gallon freshwater aquarium for over a year without a filter with minimal issues aside from periodic "dust" problems because I was an idiot and bought into the aquasoil meme.

A deep sandbed and low stock density will keep everything healthy without a filter.
>>
>>2237048
I don't know why you seem so cynical and jaded. I don't claim to be an ichthyologist or anything else and don't try to give off another impression. I don't really have those narcissist motivations you somehow see in me and only help out where I can. If you have constructive advice, feel free to, since I don't really harbour any ill will against you.
>>
>>2237061
Very curious about your tanks. I assume they were heavily planted? And a light stocking load?
How were your water changes?
>>
File: IMAG4112.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG4112.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Homework these days, am I right guys?
>>
>>2236990
Go to the river and catch something.
>>
>>2237065
Are you in middle school?
>>
>>2237068
Of course not.
>>
How many fish is it possible to keep in a 17L tank?
I've currently got 3 Black Widow Tetras and a single Swordtail and I've been thinking of maybe grabbing two more Guppies.
I've been hearing some mixed opinions from pet shops regarding whether or not that is a good idea for the tank.
>>
>>2237068
>>2237070
>>2237065
Oh Connect math! That's college shit that I've been doing! That shit is so glitchy for me sometimes.
>>
>>2237154
>Black Widow Tetras and a single Swordtail
Neither of those are recommended for a 17 liter tank.
>>
>>2237154
Just get a cheap 60l tank and maybe use your tank for 1-2 dwarf frogs, dwarf crayfish or shrimp.
>>
>>2237293
The 17L used to only have a single Betta in it before it died.
I took the fish out of my other tank since its old, leaking and is infested with snails. I'm probably going to get a replacement eventually but not for a while.
The 17L is all I got for the moment. So no more fish?
>>
>>2237306
I wouldn't recommend it. Black skirts can get kind of bug and recommended stocking is a school of 5+ in a 60cm tank.

The 17L is good for the things >>2237305 mentioned, sparkling gourami, killifish, or a betta.
>>
>>2237331
What about Neon Tetras? They're small and I heard they don't need much space.
>>
why does /aq/ suck so bad compared to /r/aquariums?
>>
>>2237380
anyone with an ounce of brains gets chased off of 4chan by /pol/.
>>
>>2237380
Honestly out of all the hate most of reddit gets, their hobbyist boards are pretty chill. The aquarium hobbyist subreddits are the best. However, if you don't post a photo of your tank, you'll rarely get any recognition.

And what >>2237384 said.
>>
My aquarium has uneaten fish flakes that got some weird see through fuzz growing on them. My corys, tetras, and shrimp won't touch them and I can never get all of them out.

What do I do?
>>
>>2237408
feed less. turkey basters work well for cleaning out food.
>>
File: 20160929_210455.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160929_210455.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>2237040
Me again, would you recommend getting a pair or would 1 be ok by itself? I plan on upgrading my filter for mor filtration soon, so should be able to accommodate 2 if neccesarry. Also, what are these?
>>
File: IMG_0227.jpg (903KB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0227.jpg
903KB, 4032x3024px
What's wrong with my snail? The shell looks in bad condition I've added a piece of cuttlebone a week ago and it hasn't improved. Could it be a parasite because my fish poop is white
>>
>>2237415
I would rather go for two. One by himself will manage for sure, but you won't get the interaction they have with one another - that snail in your pic is a common yellow apple snail as it appears
>>
File: 20161008_181710.jpg (732KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161008_181710.jpg
732KB, 2048x1152px
Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my ghost shrimp? Is it just molting?
>>
>>2237600
What I know about ghost shrimp turning white like that can be 1 of 2 things.
1. Most common reason is you're shrimp could be dying soon. When a shrimp turns white, it usually leads to death
2. A bacterial infection. I've rarely heard about this, and can only partially agree with it, but it's an infection that does not harm the shrimp, it just turns the flesh white. It is also transferable by breeding or some shit.
>>
File: 20161007_142312.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20161007_142312.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
>>2237600
Have you dosed any meds or new ferts? If meds, thats probably what did it. if you dosed ferts, what kind? This could possibly be part of the answer.

But ghost shrimp dont normally live too long anyways, due to poor breeding and genetics.
>>
>>2237600
if it was about to molt it would be hiding. they do turn white before they molt though.

could be:
-illness
-too much copper
-not enough iodine

I'd check your water for ammonia for starters.
>>
File: 20161007_141350.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20161007_141350.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
>>
>>2237625
Oh it'll let me post upsidedown down but the one the i rotated is has too much res. Fuck this bullshit.
>>
>>2237605
>>2237611
>>2237618
Thanks for the quick replies! It's been white for a week or two but I've just noticed how it's getting black lines as well. My other ghost shrimp is perfectly fine.

I haven't put anything new into the water, just the same twice weekly dose of iron and plant fert that I've been using in the three months I've had the shrimp and like I mentioned, my other shrimp is right as rain.

I hope it's not dying but yeah, I was told they don't live long.
>>
>>2237631
some foods and ferts contain copper.
>>
File: 20160904_150614.jpg (2MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20160904_150614.jpg
2MB, 4032x2268px
>>2237631
Theres 1001 ways to kill each shrimp. It only takes one. So best bet is to cull it or put it in a floating container and watch it if you think it can come through. But you don't want to risk the others eating the body when it does die.
>>
File: 1474094479985.jpg (17KB, 400x305px) Image search: [Google]
1474094479985.jpg
17KB, 400x305px
The concept of aquaria is amazing. We have people in their garages preserving species that have been extinct in the wild for 50 years. Pretty soon the majority of (at least) aquatic life will adapt to interior tanks while their waterways are transformed into underground pipes. There is nothing natural in nature.
>>
>>2237560
im talking about the things on the glass are those eggs?
>>
File: DSL.jpg (70KB, 576x1024px) Image search: [Google]
DSL.jpg
70KB, 576x1024px
Look at the mouth on this guy! I re arranged the tank and got a good photo!
>>
>>2237508
Cuttlebone won't make the shell grow back, but it'll prevent further damage from occurring and allow new shell growth to develop without issues.
>>
File: 20161008_213508.jpg (4MB, 5047x2839px) Image search: [Google]
20161008_213508.jpg
4MB, 5047x2839px
>>2237826
Don't get stung by the bumblebee!
>>
>>2237631
>I was told they don't live long.
Not in aquariums. They can live 1-2 years in the wild, but to get them into tanks they're largely fished out of the wild en masse (at various ages, no less), then shipped around the world and kept in shit conditions. Not much you can do for them except try.

>>2237633
Most foods and ferts only contain small amounts of copper sulfate, which is harmless, but it's worth checking the label.
>>
>>2237843
I doubt its that too. I just meant it's smart to find out the cause if possible. people are too quick to jump to claim that a certain animal is just weak or badly bred. sometimes that's what it is, but nowhere near as often as people think.
>>
File: IMG_20161008_235736898.jpg (1MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161008_235736898.jpg
1MB, 4160x2340px
What's a good night time color for fishies? Got one of these neato adjustable color bulbs.
>>
>>2237833
I would def get one of those if I had a bigger tank. They are so cute.
>>
>>2237883
Any blue is good in general for spotting nocturnal fish. It does depend on if you want to do something special like breeding though.
>>
>>2237888
I just don't want to leave them in complete darkness you know? Want something that won't bother than to much. Only have guppies ATM.
>>
File: wow.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
wow.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>2237892
Leaving them in complete darkness is fine, this is how it is IRL with them...
>>
>>2237897
Irl they have moon light. They don't get intense bright light for 12 hours a day followed by complete darkness...
>>
>>2237892
Darkness is fine. Blue doesn't seem to bother fish. I use it in one of my tanks at night, and everything progresses as usual. It just makes it easier to view the resting fish.
>>
File: 25626842713_3c68771a26_k.jpg (1MB, 2048x1020px) Image search: [Google]
25626842713_3c68771a26_k.jpg
1MB, 2048x1020px
>>2237902
Something tells me that bright blue bulb is putting out much more than standard moon light on a lake/river also the moon cycles so some nights there is not moon. I don't know if a gradual light change is beneficial or not, but I don't think it will really matter if you just turn the lights off.
>>
>>2237904
>Something tells me that bright blue bulb is putting out much more than standard moon light on a lake/river
I doubt it, but I don't know of anyone who's taken par values for moonlight.
>>
3 Senegal birchirs 46 gallons (still juveniles 3-6 inches)
>>
>>2237902
A good light to for most aquariums that require it(reef tanks) have an adjustable sunset/sunrise mode. This is what I use on my reef, and I absolutely love it.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=27873&cmpid=03cseYY&gclid=Cj0KEQjw1ee_BRD3hK6x993YzeoBEiQA5RH_BPUW2DXJe1_6q5k22ZjWqT-FgkI9ktrZ8e-t_1HvZKIaAptP8P8HAQ
However, the moonlight is different every night. It's not like you'd be having a bright blue light on a new moon night.

>>2237892
You don't need to give them blue light. They're great for a nightlight so you don't stub your toe looking for the shitter at 2:00 AM, but fish don't need a nightlight themselves. They'd have been fine with or without it.
>>
Lads,

Is it safe to move a cycling aquarium by emptying the water, moving the aquarium, and put in new water and redose ammonia?
>>
>>2238094
Why don't you keep the water already in the process of cycling in buckets while moving it?
Keep about a 1/4 to 3/4 of your tank water in buckets, then after you move it, add the old water with some new water, as if you were doing a water change.
>>
>>2238097
I don't get the point when there's barely any bacteria in suspension in the water.
>>
>>2238102
How long has it been cycling? It takes a couple months for a tank to completely cycle, so would you consider starting over?
>>
>>2238106
It's been cycling for about 3 weeks.

I thought the standard was 4 to 6 weeks.
>>
>>2238107
It depends on how stable you want the water to be.

You're pretty much half way or more complete with the standard cycling. Why do you want to get rid of all the time waiting for the tank to cycle, and then do it all over? I understand if you had a 50 or 40 gallon would be awfully difficult to transfer with buckets, but if it's a 30 gallon or lower, I wouldn't see the problem.

Also, where are you moving it? Another house or another room? I don't know if you're trying to take a tank across town, which I would understand then.
>>
>>2238112
I just want to move my 10g temporary snail tank into my fish room.
>>
>>2238114
Oh.
That's the easiest move ever.
Find a bucket like this, they're a five gallon bucket you can get a home depot, lowes, or any other hardware store, fill up the bucket with the tankwater, dump the rest of the water down where ever you dump it, and then move the tank. You might want to get a friend with you for that, so you can get some extra help(not needed but appreciated), and once everything's put back together, then fill the tank up with old water and new water.
>>
File: 5-gallon-bucket-site.jpg (99KB, 450x534px) Image search: [Google]
5-gallon-bucket-site.jpg
99KB, 450x534px
>>2238127
fuck, forgot pic of bucket.
>>
Be sure to clean any brand new 5 gallon bucket with a solution of vinegar and water prior to use with aquatic critters. Last year I purchased my home, and moved a 40 gallon SW reef....I moved the 2 "critters" and a number of corals and rock....I did not think of washing out a brand new clean bucket....It took a few months to recover from the move, and my beautiful Peacock Mantis shrimp died as a result.

I researched and found that most of these buckets are given a light coat of some sort of oil to help consumers separate the bucket stacks.

Some of my soft corals are only showing signs of expansion a year later. Some of my hard corals (pocillipora/milepora) recovered after a shorter time.

Wash them buckets good prior to use.
>>
>>2238152
that's why I usually get food grade buckets. they're free at some businesses.
>>
>>2238157
That's a great Idea, but at the time I was intent on moving 100% of my system's water and could not find any donors of 12+ 5 gallons buckets.

In the end I moved across town in a Cadillac with 12 5g buckets full of water and livestock, a large cooler with approx 60# of live rock and 40# of substrate.....Not to mention the tank, lights pumps and sump. It took way too long (6 hours).

I gave rear springs a real run for the money.
>>
It's getting cold as balls anons, so I got a 50 watt heater off craigslist for my 5 gallon and set it to 78 degrees. When I put it in, my tank water was at 70. More than an hour later it's at 71. What gives?
>>
>>2238193
you bought a broken heater.
which is weird since they're dirt cheap brand new.
>>
>>2238171
100% of the water? is that a saltwater thing..?

that sounds crazy, I can't imagine.
>>
>>2238194
The guy told me it was brand new, it even came in the box. No damage or anything. I'm pissed
>>
>>2238193
it'll take about 24 hours for your aquarium to reach temperature. it does it gradually so it doesn't shock your fish.
>>
>>2238201
Cool senpai, thank you!
>>
>>2238221
he's lying.

a 50w heater should heat a 5 gallon tank in a matter of minutes, not hours.

and unless it's some amazing computerized heater that hasn't been invented yet, it's only got two settings. On and off.
>>
>>2238222
>in a matter of minutes, not hours.

Wtf
>>
Dwarf Lilly bulb has now put out 5 pads
>>
File: 110456624.png (4KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
110456624.png
4KB, 300x300px
>>2236294
Are salt water tanks really for the pros and fresh water tanks for the newbs?
>>
>>2238320
No. Saltwater just requires a tad more care and expense. Freshwater is recommended for beginners. But freshwater can be as hard as saltwater tanks depending on what you want but generally easier.
>>
>>2238236
50 watts is WAY too much heater for a 5 gallon tank. Even 25 watts is overkill.

for comparison I use a 100 watt heater in my 100g saltwater system and it only takes 5 minutes to raise the temp one degree F.

That's one watt per gallon. The anon there has ten watts per gallon. 1 watt/gallon would raise the temperature that much in less than an hour. 10 watts/gallon would boil his little tank in a matter of minutes, not hours.

the only situation that would slow it down is lack of circulation- if the thing boils the water right around it and then shuts off until that heat can dissipate to the surrounding water because there's no flow. But even then he should be seeing huge increases in minutes, not hours.

Preset heaters work more slowly, but his isn't one of those.
>>
>>2238320
saltwater isn't necessarily more difficult, it just costs more when you fuck up. And everyone fucks up eventually.
>>
>>2238331
how is that possible?

1 watt=3.41 BTUs an hour. a BTU is the amount of work needed to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit. so your heater is putting out about 341 BTUs, or able to heat 341 lbs of water per hour. that works out to like a 0.43 increase of a degree per HOUR.

sorry my explanation is trash, but that just doesn't make sense unless I'm misunderstanding how this works.
>>
>>2237415
I always thought that was snail shit
>>
>thinking of getting a puffer or pea puffers in the near future
>setup 10g to breed bladder snails for food. Sand substrate.
>incredible amounts of snail shit, sand is littered with the shit
>detritus worms and other funky stuff up the ass
>extremely unpleasant to look at, even for a bladder snail breeding tank

How would you set this thing up? It's not like they're not breeding. There are 20+ egg blobs in there. It's just so ugly. Should I remove the sand? Wouldn't I just get poo over a bare-bottom?
>>
>>2238500
I wouldn't have a tank dedicated soley to breeding snails. why not put in a fast growing plant and some dirt? it'll look a lot nicer, and it'll be beneficial to both plants and snails.
>>
File: 20161009_175351.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161009_175351.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Upgraded my c02 to a large cannister shouldn't have to refill this for months, and refill only $4.00 Also redesigned tank, tried to setup more spots to see fish easier when hiding, what do you guys think?
>>
File: 20161009_175424.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20161009_175424.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>2238571
>>
>>2236865
plants can rot and really screw up your water. i really don't think they are for newbs and I've had tanks for 30 years
>>
>>2238596
...if they die, you take them out. that's literally all you need to do to fix that problem. if you think that's too hard, idk.
>>
>>2238571
>>2238575
>all that weight
>on those four limbs

God bless I was worried about my set up.
>>
File: 20160924_211647.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160924_211647.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>2238610
yea dude, just make sure what you got is solid, I stood up on the table before hand and I have not had any issues, just make sure its level.
>>
File: BIG-ROUND-AQUARIUMS.jpg (76KB, 782x960px) Image search: [Google]
BIG-ROUND-AQUARIUMS.jpg
76KB, 782x960px
I'm tired of having nothing but an air supply and plastic plants

I upgraded from gravel to sand but I know it's not enough

How do I make my freshwater 10 gallon feel super comfy like all the cool aquariums I see on here?
>>
>>2238621
hardscape and plants. sand was a good step!

figure out what kind of light you have. if it sucks, pick up a new light you like, or get a clamp light with a 6500k bulb. if it's not LED, 1-2 watts per gallon is generally good for low-medium light plants. you don't need to fuck around with co2 or fertilizers.

get some hardscape: driftwood and rocks. just toss it in there!

wa la, a nice tank!
>>
File: IMG_20161009_195845.jpg (1MB, 2898x2682px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161009_195845.jpg
1MB, 2898x2682px
Friends, can anyone tell me what this is? Thank you!
>>
File: 1467941690345.jpg (101KB, 500x496px) Image search: [Google]
1467941690345.jpg
101KB, 500x496px
>>2238656
This is a plant.
>>
>>2238665
>>2238665
Yes but which species friend, thank you
>>
>>2238500
I just have mine bare-bottom and hidden under my puffer's tank
>>
File: water changes are hard.webm (3MB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
water changes are hard.webm
3MB, 1024x576px
>>2238656
looks kind of like this http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/details.php?id=138 'Ceratopteris pteridoides' sometimes called floating antler fern
>>
File: VID_20161007_224620644.webm (3MB, 888x500px) Image search: [Google]
VID_20161007_224620644.webm
3MB, 888x500px
>>2238698
I take your mollies and I raise you guppies
>>
>>2236383
I think it looks comfy
>>
>>2236721
Cyanobacteria aka red slime,
>>
File: VID_20161010_01202.webm (3MB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
VID_20161010_01202.webm
3MB, 1024x576px
>>2238710
hey i saw your tank at /wsg/
excellent taste in music my friend.
>>
>>2238710
You were the guy with the nerite snail. Is he died?
>>
So my betta at the office finally gave up the ghost after 5 years, and I'm wondering what to do with the tank now, other than another betta. I know a bigger tank would be better, but I was already pushing it having a standard 10g at the office.
A lot of the stocking suggestions elsewhere have fish I really don't consider suitable for a 10g, so suggestions?
>>
>>2238766
get one of those little fish that looks like a shark
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Update on jar reef: added green mushroom coral, still no heater or real light source, reduced current
>>
>>2238793
How do you prevent algae, considering you have it in sunlight (?)

Cool project though, nonetheless.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2238793
In daylight
>>
>>2238796
oh there are algae; i clean it with a toothbrush

since i don't put food into it, there will be limitation on nutrients in some time and if the coral and invertebrates grow, the algae will hopefully be reduced

the starfish and bristle worms also eat some of the algae and detritus algea waste
>>
>>2238798
>>2238793

Why not any substrate? I know live sand can be a pain to clean, but what about coral chunks? Also what's your maintenance upkeep? Do nitrates run wild in there? Also, I think a trio of sexy shrimp would add a nice touch to your jar.
>>
>>2238802
i'm thinking about adding some coral sand from my bigger tank because it looks the most tropical to me
this jar is more of an experiment and run with parts i still had around

i change 0,5 l every one or two weeks + cleaning the window; thats about 10 minutes

this jar is only about 3 l and i assume nitrate is up
i have two of those shrimps in my bigger tank; would not put them in such a small space

this small size would be nice for zoanthus under better lighting
>>
File: Plant,282.jpg (40KB, 445x336px) Image search: [Google]
Plant,282.jpg
40KB, 445x336px
>>2238656
Looks like emersed growth water sprite to me.
>>
Betta has ich within a week of coming home. What the fuck do I do. He's gorg, mostly black body, has changed color, tail and fins went from clear to pink to hot pink, seems happy, BAM white film on his tail.

I have a heater but it's for a 10gal and he's in a 2gal is that ok?
What else can I do?
I really like his colors, never seen any like him (don't really look at bettas too often) but he's a beaut.
>>
>>2238811
Forgot to add, his space has been cycled for a month now, had a couple of mysteries in there temporarily, only one small bladder snail left in there. There's also a bunch of water sprite in there and a relatively new sponge filter. He seems to enjoy the bubbles, but idk a lot about betta fish. Zero ammonia, haven't tested the rest, but I imagine it's as stable as before. I'm thinking maybe the water change I did before putting him in there fucked him up? I even put stress coat in the water tho ;-; I'll post a pic if I can.
>>
>>2238811
So I've been doing my own research anyway, I guess I meant 10 watts, not 10 gallons for the heater. It's Nat Geo brand, which I've heard is unreliable, so I'll be getting a new lower one while I get his 5 gallon ready.
>>
Im going to shed aquarium
>>
>>2238853
Have fun, anon! Take pictures for us!
>>
File: _10 gal.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
_10 gal.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>2238621
Go burn a Benjamin on plants and driftwood, then haphazardly toss it together.
>>
File: IMG_20161007_092604285.jpg (907KB, 2340x1316px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161007_092604285.jpg
907KB, 2340x1316px
>>2238727
Thanks! I unfortunately had to miss the entire night of programming. How was it? Looks like it was shaping up to be super comfy.

>>2238752
Nope, he's alive and kicking! Turns out he just likes moving at night more. I was going to scoop him out after 2 days of not moving, but I guess he saw the other snail and decided it was ok.
>>
>>2238793
Godamnit I love your jar reef.
>>
File: n multifasciatus.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
n multifasciatus.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
>>2238766
There are a few other gourami species small enough for a 10 gallon (sparkling, honey, licorice).
Also Celestichthys spp., Boraras spp., Nannogrammus beckfordi, dwarf/pygmy/dainty cories, or, if you want to go in a completely different direction, Neolamprologus multifasciatus ("shellies"/"multies").
>>
>>2238893
That is absolutely gorgeous. What is that plant on the left that's doing a sort of arch?
>>
how many fish can i keep in a 30 gallon aquarium with proper filtration, assuming i keep up with bi weekly water changes, and have an air stone? what if i were to up it to a 50 long aquarium ?
>>
>>2239011
forgot to mention fish in question are 4-10 inches i know the general rule of thumb is one inch per gallon but wondering how accurate that s
>>
>>2238901
Thanks. That plant is Brazilian pennywort.

>>2239011
>how many fish can i keep in a 30 gallon aquarium
Somewhere between 1 and 50. You're going to have to be more specific about what kind of fish you want.
>>
>>2239021
Whoops, poorly timed. Do you know what species you're considering? I don't know of a lot of 10 inch fish I'd recommend for a 30 gallon.
>>
>>2239022
>>2239027

native species, i know i should ahve been more specific in my original post, but was tying to avoid wallpost basically i have a small fish pond in my backyard ( only a few hundred gallons) that has native species in it i cant keep them in it through the winter ( well i could but i dont ant to risk it freezing solid and killing them, so im going to probably return most to the river i got them from but i may decide to keep a few inside in an aquarium through the winter to carry through to next year, or ust to become my aquarium friends i have anything from varying shiner species, to small largemouth bass, to rock bass an bullhead in my pond, Probably would be keeping bullhead, and rock bass maybe some shiners or a channel cat, maybe an american eel if i can get a hold of one if i like the whole aquarium thing
>>
>>2239030
You'll need the bigger tank for sure. I wouldn't keep more than a single bass in a 30g... Honestly all those fish are too big to keep many in a tank that size.
>>
>>2239035
not going to keep any bass, rock bass is basically a chunky panfish, i ony have one at 10 inches i would consider keeping, the rest are bullhead at 5-8 inches probably thanks for your imputs though i wont plan on keeping many if any
>>
>>2239038
sorry I don't know too much about bass, I assumed rock bass was just a small species of bass. 10 inches is really big for a medium tank. you could keep quite a few shiners depending on the species.
>>
>>2239045
Think they would fare alright in a 50 gallon a bit better?
I dont have a filter for it but I could get one

Also pictures of fish in question incoming
>>
noticed a white spot on the tip of both fins of one of my panda cories today. Is this normal?
>>
File: fishspot.jpg (109KB, 719x640px) Image search: [Google]
fishspot.jpg
109KB, 719x640px
This is the spot.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3024x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3024x3024px
How can I fix the sand mixing with soil
>>
>>2239079
Large rocks work fine as a barrier.

>>2239047
I'm pretty sure a rock bass could be fine. But with shiners, I'd be wary about that. What kind of shiners are in your pond? Are they like creek chubs, golden shiners, fathead minnows? There're hundreds of cyprinids that live in North America that range from 2 inches to 2 yards long. A rockbass can either demolish your shiners, or can overstock and lead to spikes in your parameters killing everything.
>>
File: 1476131037459647125280.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
1476131037459647125280.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
>>2239085
I've got anything I can get my hands on
Dace/fallfish
Redfin
Others I haven't bothered identifying

I've went through my pond and took inventory and narrowed it down on what i really want to keep

I'm thinking I'm going to keep my 5 brown bullhead(5-8 inches each) and that's about it ( maybe il add more later an eel or a small channel cat )

Thinking I'm going to buy a filter for my 50 long and make a lid for it and set it up for my guys for the winter as a trial period

50 gallons should be enough for 5 fish at 5-8 inches each correct?

Anything else I need to plan on buying?

Basic filtration
Light
Water changes
Food

Catfish are only in bucket for pond cleaning /inventory
>>
>>2239093
man, your brown bullhead is going to make it to nearly two feet... you'll be pushing it even at the size they are now. I guess you can always put them back in the pond when they get bigger.

Get the best filter you can afford. I recommend SunSun canisters, or Eheim if you want a quiet one.
>>
>>2239100
Eventually, the largest one is only 8 inches right now
And they spend summers in my 200 gallon koi pond
But I just want to make sure my friends dont die over the winter

I wouldn't want to push it and risk killing them

Maybe il just let my friends go
>>
>>2239057
Looks like a minor injury. Nothing to be too worried about. Is the sand/gravel sharp?
>>
>>2239103
they'll be fine temporarily, you just need to keep up on water changes. I didn't realize you just wanted to keep them over the winter.
>>
>>2239109
Still assuming I need a filter

Though I have kept fish for months just by changing water frequently
>>
>>2239104
Its Eco-complete
>>
>>2239111
yeah filters do several jobs. usually you can get by with just a sponge and air pump but I wouldn't chance it since you're overstocking. technically they should live so long as you can change the water faster than they can poison themselves though.
>>
File: IMG_20161010_165522.jpg (150KB, 960x796px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161010_165522.jpg
150KB, 960x796px
Help me guys? What do you think?
>>
File: IMG_20161010_165513.jpg (187KB, 809x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161010_165513.jpg
187KB, 809x960px
>>2239137
>>
>>2239140
Use the 10g, get 4-5 rosy red minnows (only like 10 cents each), and buy a small filter with the money you would have spent on more expensive fish
>>
File: IMG_20161010_183725100.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161010_183725100.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
Anyone know what this plant is? I just kinda grabbed some from my grandma's water fountain a while ago. Tried to find info on it but I'm still not sure what it is. Want to make sure it's not another green hedge situation where it'll just die after a few months underwater.
>>
>>2239156
Definitely looks like bacopa. Easy to keep plant!
>>
>>2239158
Sweet
>>
File: image.jpg (132KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132KB, 800x600px
Too much cover?
>>
>>2239140
I know you may really want to keep fish. But don't if you can't give them what they need.
>>
>>2239100
Brown bullhead average size in the wild is 12-14 inches. It's rare for them reach 20 inches.
>>
>>2239137

You can get a sponge and an airpump for under 10$ together.
>>
>>2239215
if you aren't prepared to keep an animal at it's full size you shouldn't keep it...
>>
File: half_moon_three_gallon.jpg (46KB, 405x500px) Image search: [Google]
half_moon_three_gallon.jpg
46KB, 405x500px
>>2239137
>>2239140

I'm kind of in this situation as well
I decided on a three gallon for my desk and it comes with:

>filter
>air pump
>light

I'm just wondering if I need a heater?
It's going to be freshwater with tetras and shrimp and live plants

Also, do live plants supplement air pumps?
>>
>>2239223
if you're keeping tropical fish you need a heater unless your room stays at a stable temp year round.

if you're asking if live plants release oxygen, then yes that's kind of what plants do. there's no reason to keep plants and an air pump.
>>
>>2239222
Want a knuckle sandwich with some fruit punch?
>>
>>2239223
>fish
>3 gallon
>living
Top kek
>>
>>2239227
It shows five fish on the front

Are you telling me I can't keep four tetras and two ghost shrimp in there?
>>
>>2239231
Don't believe those pictures. Every company that sells fish tanks, sells them with pictures of overstocked colorful fish to entice people to buy them.
>>
>>2239231
>It shows five fish on the front
Gee, I guess this atrocity is fine for fish as well then.
>>
>>2239236
>>2239237

How many tetras and ghost shrimp can I get in there tops?
>>
>>2239240
as many ghost shrimp as you want
>>
>>223924
like 3 ghost shrimp and a snail maybe. don't do tetras. They need a school and that tank is way too small for that.
>>
>>2239240
Personally no tetras, and 4 shrimps
>>
File: image.jpg (82KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 800x600px
>>
>>2239210
>>2239247
So long as it doesn't get in the way, look unseemly, or shade the other plants to a greater degree, it should be fine. The lily should be fine if you snip a few of the longer ones if they get cumbersome. Your fish will probably appreciate the cover though, especially the gourami.
>>
>have a fella I often buy aquarium stuff from really cheaply, usually good stuff
>text him I need a 5 gallon, he says he has one
>halfway to his place, he texts me that he hasn't drained the aquarium. Get a little weirded out but whatever
>get there, aquarium is actually a failed shrimp tank he's been keeping next to his computer for months, gigantic brown blob of decomposing matter floating around in the mostly evaporated water
>buy it because I made the trip, get home, spend an hour cleaning out a 5 gallon

Never again
>>
>>2239254
Currently only partially blacking light to the Cryptocorynes. I may snip back the apongeton crispus that's putting out those leaves at the top. It's a hybrid so I may actually trash it so it doesn't breed with my other crispus.
>>
>>2239273
why would you care about your plants bloodlines?

anyhow, it's unlikely they're blocking much light. there's some formula to calculate how much light comes through... but basically a really surprising amount gets through to even plants in a thick forest understory.
>>
>>2239275
I'm about to start selling a bunch of plants I've kept over the years. This crispus I got for a present. It came from a petco bulb along with the lily bulb.
>>
>>2239295
I promise you, no hobbyists are going to be worried about their plants being a hybrid. most apontogens are.
>>
>>2239299
Not that guy. But I Think the hybrids look ugly with two different types of leaves.
>>
>>2239306
not all hybrids develop those.

>>2239273
what color is your other crispus?
>>
>>2239313
All my others are nice and green. This one has smaller leaves than the other crispus and almost brown green. Leaves are dying off and shooting out more of those leaves that sit at the top. It also just flowered again.
>>
>>2239247
Looks comfy>>2239254
>>
>>2239326
>>2239343
Sorry didn't mean to reply to you. I still love you.
>>
I want to do an outdoor brackish pond. Brackish species tolerate water salinity and temperature swings pretty well and I feel like I could get a nice ocean look to it without trying to maintain salinity vs rain and evaporation. I was wondering how salty I could get it on average though. Any anons have ideas on how I could figure that out?
>>
>>2239299
If you're scaping your tank you're gonna care
>>
>>2239363
protip: almost all of the reef fish you can find for sale are near-shore estuarine animals that survive and thrive in brackish waters.

regarding salinity it's a pretty complex formula involving volume of the pond, surface area, local temperature, water temperature, amount of sunlight, local humidity, wind speed, salinity of the pond, and salinity of the replacement water.

which is all really complicated to try to predict, so your best bet is to set it up and then monitor it for a few months adjusting the salinity as needed to keep it where you want it. If it's big enough salinity isn't going to change all that rapidly unless it's raining tons or something.

as to the target salinity, that depends on what you plan on stocking it with. You can keep most reef fish at a S.G. down to about 1.009.

you'll notice that you can also keep most FRESHWATER fish at S.G. UP TO about 1.009.

so technically there's a brackish point at which you could probably keep both saltwater and freshwater fish in the same pond or tank, though perhaps not very happily.
>>
What is the best substrate to keep aquarium plants in? I've done my own research and gotten varying results from normal gravel with fertilizer to specialty soil for aquarium plants. What has been your experience with planted tanks and different substrates? I've had a 10 gallon tank running before but it was never planted, just gravel and some decorations.
>>
>>2239420
gravel:

cheap, maybe hard for delicate plants to grow due to rooting, needs regular vacuuming but is easy to clean. Make sure it's not too coarse for bottom dwelling fish

sand: Same as gravel, very cheap, but better for roots, a bit harder to clean but doesn't need maintenance nearly as often if you keep some ramshorn snails/trumpet snails, which keep the bottom relatively clean and aerated. Again, make sure it's not too coarse.

small grain substrate: medium price, basically small pieces of lavarock,very porous and big surface area, optimal for roots and bacteria, least amount of maintenance imho

aquascaping soil: often very pricey, pre-fertilized and often lowers your water's PH/KH -
this active nature of the soil that alters your water chemistry can last between 12-24 months, so keep that in mind. Usually unless you wanna keep shrimp that need very soft water like crystal reds, taiwan bees, etc you don't need such soil. Of course it comes in handy for aquascaping and plant growth, but it's not mandatory if you manually dose ferts. there's also many grain sizes, from powder, to bigger granules.

I use both soil and small grain, but would recommend the small grain substrate unless you have very specific goals, unless you wanna go full budget, then go for pool filter sand.
>>
>>2239404
Citations?
>>
>>2239363
Listen, there aren't many brackish species available at fish store, however the most common ones include:
Mono
Archerfish
Datnoids
Scats
Dragon Gobies
Mollies/guppies
Columbian sharks

If you live in the tropics, that's great, but if you live in Northern Climates, I'd feel safe if you keep the pond heated.
>>
>>2236330
>>2236331
Agreed, don't be surprised if it goes either way.
Just make sure your parameters are right and water is clean.

I had one molt with her eggs still in the molt. Not sure what that means. Ghost shrimp are cray.
>>
So I found my betta dead this morning. Any ideas what it could've been? I though ich was usually curable, I got the water up to 80, left the heater on overnight overnight, but it didn't go above 80 apparently. Found my betta very discolored, a lot of white film, a few white spots, everything was mainly on his tail, a lot of his tail missing/shredded/falling off, he refused to eat his garlic food yesterday. :( The water was slightly acidic, which I had gradually fixed. I did a 50% water change, took water from my healthy tank, matched the temp, and very slowly dripped it back into his tank. No ammonia/nitrites, small amount of nitrates. I'm so bummed. He was my first betta.

These were my previous posts
>>2238811
>>2238813
>>2238850
>>
>>2239480
>Columbian sharks
Aren't they anadromus (migrate to full salt as adults)?
>>
>>2239480
Dragon gobies are found in fresh, salt, and brackish. Native to North America as well.
>>
>>2239542
Columbian sharks and monos. However both I think can tolerate brackish water too. Miami has a lot of brackish fish. Including 2 kinds of saltwater catfish.
>>
>>2239552
I have found some carp and koi in brackish water there as well. Puzzled by that.
>>
>>2239557
They can take it. A lot of fish can be very tolerant to things that we thought they weren't before. There's a lake near my house that I'll drive to, and I know that there's a little bit of salt, I'll find peacock bass, tilapias, bluegills, bass, and carp, so I know looking at that biota that the salinity's low. But, I've also found tarpon and mangrove snapper too, which are pretty much fully fledged saltwater fish. Funny story about these lakes is that when Andrew came, the storm brought so much sea salt and fish from they bay, that people found barracudas in their swimming pools. And for the thousands of fish that were dropped on the streets, only a few managed to land in a lake, and they're still there today.
>>
Wanted a dwarf gourami but heard about sparklings and now I can't make up my mind. Are there any more micro gouramis with beautiful colors? Want to have it in a tank with 4 or so peacock gudgeons and some guppies.
>>
>>2239571
I want a tarpon tank
>>
File: Noreen Galaba ladyfish.jpg (123KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Noreen Galaba ladyfish.jpg
123KB, 1000x750px
>>2239574
Florida fishermen are pretty protective when it comes to our silver king. A lot of laws are in place for them. It is illegal to take a full grown tapon out of the water, even for taking pictures. Instead, if you want a tarpon tank, go for either Indo pacific tarpon, or ladyfish.

Ladyfish aka, poor man's tarpon are a bunch of trashy shit-flinging assholes that are only good for sharkbait. Literally, you can do whatever you want with them.
>>
>>2239585
Why is it called a ladyfish?
>>
>>2239589
I honestly don't know. Other species in the ladyfish genus(elops) are known as tenpounders and machete, but are generally referred to as ladyfish.
>>
Do lumens matter or did my LFS play me when they sold me a Current LED over a Marineland one?
>>
File: 20161011_194906.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20161011_194906.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
Lads my fish just died :(
I'd only had him a few months

I don't know what I did wrong, he was laid at the bottom of his tank covered in white stuff
>>
File: 20161011_194910.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20161011_194910.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
He was absolutely fine this morning, maybe a little twitchy
>>
>>2239633
I got a 1600 lumens led bulb for my freshwater 20g long and it still wasn't enough for the plants. Switched to a 900 lumens bulb to see if there would be a difference and the plants did noticeably worse. So yes, I guess?
>>
>>2239247
I recognize this fish, are those white clouds? I have some. I have had an issues where one minnow seems to be bullying another and making his fins really big and flared out, I know he's not bullying a female cause he doesn't have that fat tummy below him, why is he doing this?
>>
do any of you know what caused this with my betta?
>>
File: 20160923_201614.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160923_201614.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>2239573
DON'T DO IT ANON UR DWARF GOURAMI WILL GET IRIDOVIRUS DUE TO OVERBREEDING AND DIE. This happened to my first dwarf gourami, sad times. I would get 2 sparkling gourami, the small ones that croak, anyone know the scientific name? I'm getting 2 next paycheck, but I can't be bothered to quarantine so I'm apprehensive. Pic related, my dwarf gourami till he died, he tasted good though.
>>
>>2239573
I have pearl gourami, they are some of the most beautiful fish I've ever seen.

>>2239491
Were you having water quality issues before? everything points to water quality issues. A stressed fish= a sick fish.
>>
>>2239491
>>2239648
wow two of us on the same day
life sucks sometimes
>>
So I'm a complete newbie and went to my LFS to see what the guy there would recommend for a first community tank (I've only ever had single bettas in small tanks before). I have a cycled 26g bowfront tank.

He walked me around the store and asked what fish I liked and ended up recommending:
12 harlequin rasboras
6 panda cory catfish
1 dwarf gourami

I didn't want to just take the word of the guy selling me the fish. Is there any issues with this stocking idea? Any changes you would make?
>>
>>2239687
Looks good

READ THIS ANON
>>2239660
>>
Now I have an empty 2.5 gallon though, which means new fish I guess
>>
>>2239687
Sounds great! All those fish are fantastic and that sounds like a well balanced stock list. Dwarves tend to be poorly bred though, you might want to consider a different small gourami like a honey.
>>
>>2239660
JESUS CHRIST OKAY! sorry about you gourami anon, he was beautiful. Any other pretty and tiny gouramis besides the sparkling? I really like the red color.
>>
>>2239682
My friend's female betta just died too. What's happening?
>>
>>2239687
Looks like you're set. Imo, harlequin rasboras are the shit. I always recommend them to beginners
>>
>>2239697
dwarf gouramis really aren't as bad as they claim.

you could keep honey, sparkling, chocolate, licorice, or pearl gourami in that tank. I have pearls personally.
>>
>>2239698
do you know why mine was covered in white?
I'm not the best fish keeper but I really don't see what caused this
>>
>>2239708
fungus or bacterial film. are you using the strips to test your water?

>>2239702
I forgot about thick-lipped and banded gourami! there's a lot. gouramis are awesome.
>>
>>2239712
Yeah everything was fine according to them
>>
>>2239716
strips are super inaccurate and hard to read! I'd take some of your water to the pet store and get them to test it.

like I said >>2239679, everything is pointing to water quality, unless your heater malfunctioned and cooked the poor dude.
>>
>>2239720
I'm not that guy, this was me >>2239646
>>2239648

I thought bettas was pretty hardy which is why I got one as my 1st fish, it is a shame.
When I clean the tank and everything maybe I will replace him and get a better testing kit.
Is there anything else you can keep in 2.5 gallon?
>>
>>2239724
oh okay! the white film definitely looks like either bacterial or fungus, so usually water quality unless the fish is really stressed out for other reasons. sometimes you can get a betta that's poorly bred or already sick, or the temperature isn't right, or the filter is too strong.

2.5 desu is smaller than I would keep much of anything in- you can try another betta, or stick to inverts like shrimp and snails, or maybe a dwarf frog.

you should consider a 10 gallon tank, they're super cheap and you can do way more with them!
>>
>>2239633
>>2239649
lumens measures how bright a light looks to human eyes.plants can't make as much use of the light we see best, so it doesn't matter much. kelvin is what you want to look at.

>>2239650
do you have any females? sometimes they fight over the ladies.

>>2239660
Trichopsis vittata, Trichopsis schalleri, and Trichopsis pumila
>>
>>2239679
Nothing aside from a slightly low pH than what I usually keep everything at. I'd never seen ich, and I had never seen something progress so quickly. Will probably never keep bettas for a long time.
>>2239682
:(
>>2239730
Could he have come with it from the store and it just blew up at home?
>>
Which is the smallest that croaks?
>>2239735
Yes there are multiple males and females I don't know if their numbers are equal though.
>>
>>2239730
thanks for your help, I already have a 10 gallon tank and really dont have room for another atm so thats why I got a betta in a 2.5. I think I might just get red shrimp. Or if I do get another betta get a cheap one in case this happens again. I know that sounds horrible but it is the smartest thing to do atm I think.
>>
>>2239480
>>2239404
Further information:

I live in a subtropical area, and while we do freeze a few days out of the year, I'm thinking a pond (especially salty) will change temperature kinda slow.

We're also quite humid. We have a rainy (late summer/fall) and dry season, but I think I can prevent most run-off by digging a shallow ditch around the whole thing and topping off with collected rainwater when necessary. I don't know how much freshwater ponds around here drop when it's "dry" since it's so humid but I rarely notice a waterline difference when I'm biking. I just figured that saltwater would evaporate more. Just don't know how much more. I've read it takes a tremendous amount of salt to change the salinity in just a regular large tank very much, so I'm hopeful I could keep the pond on the low-end of "sea-water" and have it still be in a good range if it evaporates.

Basically I guess I want to know if I need to worry more about rain or evaporation. I can't tell which will be more of a risk.

Also since it's a pond I wanna try larger, eating-sized fish. We have mangrove snapper in the bay here so I know they can handle less salt.
>>
>>2239697
If you like the red ones look for sunset honey gourami (also called red robin gourami). Hardier than dwarves and a bit smaller.
Licorice and chocolate/samurai gourami are beautiful, but very sensitive about water parameters, so not great if you want a low maintenance tank.

>>2239735
Kelvin is just the color of the light, not how strong it is. Photosynthetically available radiation (PAR) is the only number you can take on the nose, but most manufacturers don't give PAR figures and the meters are expensive.

>>2239753
Trichopsis pumila.

>>2239758
Shrimp are lots of fun, with a mild-tempered betta and a little extra work you could even do both
I've seen scarlet badis, pea puffers, moth catfish and sparkling gourami recommended for 2.5 gallon tanks, but those are all higher maintenance than a betta and I'd personally recommend a larger tank.
You could also consider a CPO (dwarf crayfish).
>>
>>2239751
I'd question the accuracy of your testing method, white film and shredded tail would definitely make me suspicious. both could be caused by bacteria or fungus. so same as >>2239730

Ich is easy to spot, looks like sugar crystals on the fish. It could have been from the store, it's hard to say and depends on how long you've had him. water quality is usually the biggest factor in the health of your fish though.

I'd pick up some melafix (both you and >>2239758), bettas are prone to fin infections because of their long fins.

>>2239753
T. Pumila, the sparkling gourami. the minnows are probably just feeling territorial and that's why they're chasing. it's usually not a big deal.

>>2239759
saltwater evaporates slower than freshwater.
>>
>>2239767
No kidding? I thought it was the opposite. So I need to keep it at a higher salinity to compensate for rainfall.
>>
>>2239766
I know kelvin isn't the best measure but I can't afford a PAR meter. besides, both kelvin and PAR are important since PAR measures all light, and plants don't utilize all light equally.
>>
>>2239472
for what part?
>>
>>2239776
Probably the part about reef fish being estuarine. I'm pretty sure that might be exaggeration
>>
>>2239769
No, don't worry about salt levels. As water evaporates, salt stay behind. As your water level decreases, your salinity increases. Adding more salt after a hot sunny day will eventually make your pond too salty. Just keep adding freshwater I'm guessing you're anywhere between the Carolinas and Texas, so I can help you find some good stocking options if you want native.
Snook
Ladyfish
Tarpon
Snapper
Needlefish.

Make sure, that either you catch them legal size if needed, or do your best to hide from authorities. Only introduce one at a time and acclimate them for a LONG ASS TIME. Maybe a good 6-12 hrs before putting them in the pond. And I'm hoping that your pond isn't more than a huge puddle. Then make sure the fish stays alive for a month before adding the next.
>>
>>2239769
>No kidding?
he is correct.
the difference is not something you'd notice, it's not a big difference. but salt water does evaporate slightly more slowly than fresh. The higher the salinity the longer it takes to evaporate, to the point that just plain salt won't lose water at all, in fact it attracts it. It will suck moisture out of the air, the reverse of evaporation.

in your case that's not going to happen though. Sea water does very definitely evaporate and in a pond you're likely to lose hundreds of gallons a day to evaporation depending on all kinds of different factors.
>>
>>2239769
because there's not as many water molecules the surface, it's water and salt molecules.
>>
>>2239777
>I'm pretty sure that might be exaggeration
oh.
it's a selection bias.
there's tons of reef fish that can't survive in freshwater but you won't often find them in the aquarium trade.

just because the fish that sell best are the ones that CAN survive freshwater, so those are the ones people collect and sell.

Anyone that dives knows there's huge temperature and salinity gradients near shore, reef fish swim through all kinds of water without problems.
>>
>>2239779
I'm in Northwest Florida right now but I may be moving to Louisiana soon. It doesn't matter much the climate is the same. Anything Upper Gulf Coast will work. This is a project for a few years from now, but I'm doing my research now. Saltwater has a lower carrying capacity than fresh, so I think I only want Mangrove Snapper and maybe a "panfish" sized species as food species, and then like mollies and stuff for them to forage on. Bonus points if it doesn't feed on clams and stuff. I might want to keep some to help keep the water clear.

>>2239781
Usually with ponds you measure evaporation in inches, not gallons.
>>
>>2239792
>Usually with ponds you measure evaporation in inches, not gallons
you mix salt in gallons, not inches, so you're going to need to know the volume of the pond in gallons and you're going to need to know how many gallons you lose a day in evaporation.
>>
>>2239784
That makes a lot of sense
>>
>>2239771
The reason it's called "photosynthetically active radiation" (got it wrong the first time) is because it's specific to the wavelengths of light that plants use for photosynthesis.

Kelvins alone aren't going to give any indication of a light's strength, but for the vast majority of hobbyists, color temperature, power consumption, and sometimes lighting type are more than sufficient.
>>
>>2239792
Also, make sure you have lining in your pond. In Miami, we're having theorized problems about saltwater getting into our aquifer. Salt can seep in soil and kill a lot of grass and shit.
>>
>>2239776
>You can keep most reef fish at a S.G. down to about 1.009.

>you'll notice that you can also keep most FRESHWATER fish at S.G. UP TO about 1.009.
>>
>>2239793
You shouldn't be mixing new saltwater to compensate for evaporation, just water changes.
>>
>>2239793
Touche.

>>2239801
That's an issue up here too. I was going to look into how to seal it soon. I wouldn't rely on a liner because saltwater is pretty damn corrosive and those are designed for freshwater. I believe some of the trace minerals in saltwater break up clay but I don't remember which ones, (something that's in epsom salt I think) and I need to look into different clays and see if it effects them all equally. I'd rather shell out more money and do it right than hope for the best and cock things up.
>>
File: IMG_20161011_180402199.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161011_180402199.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
Newest addition to the aquarium. It's a tire tread snail. His name is Bernie.
>>
File: chair15-cc2.jpg (261KB, 660x371px) Image search: [Google]
chair15-cc2.jpg
261KB, 660x371px
>>2239809
Yes saltwater is corrosive, but plastic lasts forever. I have brackish water for my mudskipper, and most decor is plastic, even the filter. I don't know about ponds either. But I mean, scientists have found public school chairs at the bottom of the ocean. You're not going to have complete salt either, it's brackish.
>>
>>2239803
that's standard treatment for ich.
google ich treatments (salt for freshwater and hyposalinity for saltwater) you'll see they both require the same SG. Because most reef fish and freshwater fish can survive that salinity.

lots of marine FO tanks are kept at an SG of about 1.01 indefinitely. They're just reef fish being kept in brackish water. They do fine.
>>2239807
evaporation isn't the only way a pond loses water or salt.
>>
>>2239758
What do you have in the 10 gallon? Maybe you could use the 2.5 as a breeding tank.
>>
>>2239798
are you just googling this shit as you reply? PAR values on a package would be useless. visible light corresponds with light a plant can use, and if you look at a chart, it's clear that a plant doesn't effectively use all available visible right. PAR values are useful but you need a meter to read them.

power consumption is totally dependent on lighting type, so not very useful. lumens are completely useless for choosing lights to grow plants.
>>
>>2239820
>that's standard treatment for ich.
Yes, for up to two weeks as a treatment, not to be "kept at."
>>
>>2239831
before you were born it was normal to add salt to all freshwater tanks and keep them that way.

it's still normal to keep marine tanks at low salinities.

dealers in particular do both regularly, it prevents parasites and disease. There isn't some magical time limit or anything.
>>
>>2239828
PAR values on packaging would have to be very detailed to be useful, which is likely one reason manufacturers don't do it.
Power consumption in combination with lighting type is moderately useful, since it's roughly comparative at the very least.
Kelvin is literally just "what color does this look like to your human eyes, Mr. Scientist?"
>>
>>2239819
Fair enough. I'm still going to look into clays but that's good to know.
>>2239820
Are you talking about something other than absorption by inhabitants? I can't imagine salt creep will be a problem in a pond.
>>
>>2239834
Yes again, but not at those levels.
Also, there are lots of things aquarists did "before I was born" that are highly debatable with modern research, and that's one of them.
>>
Just brought home some female bettas. How long do I need to quarantine them?

They arrived at the pet store within the last week and were shipped in their own bags.
>>
>>2239841
>Are you talking about something other than absorption by inhabitants?
yeah, you'll lose salt as water leaks into the soil and you'll lose salt if rain causes the pond to overflow. Salt creep as such won't be a problem but you can't count on the salt crust formed in the soil from evaporation to dissolve again once the water level is raised.

>>2239842
>but not at those levels
you're the expert.
>that's one of them.
it will likely shorten the life of some fish, though in reality most freshwater fish are actually brackish or full marine. (African cichlids, all livebearers).

but even if it shortens life that's a moot argument when other factors of captivity shorten life even more, and to be real even wild fish almost never live to their full possible lifespan.

It's not really a point I want to argue though, if you don't already know that freshwater and marine fish can survive in brackish tanks it's not my business to try to convince you. Your ignorance isn't my problem. A couple years ago nobody on /aq/ knew guppies were marine and brackish fish that breed and live just fine in saltwater. You guys are very slow learners.
>>
>>2239851
I plan on sloping the edges up so it can't overflow under normal circumstances. I don't want saltwater overflowing anywhere.

I think with these parameters I'll have just normal top-offs of salt and water to worry about.
>>
>>2239851
As soon as there's some semblance of empirical evidence to back up anything you say, I'll take you seriously. Until then you're just some old coot demanding his conjecture be taken for granted.
>>
>>2239767
Only had him 3 days. I only have liquid ammonia and pH tests, the rest are strips. They've only failed at reading pH for me in the past. I did 2 water changes with him. Nothing different than my other tanks. I was afraid to add melafix. I'll do it if I ever have another betta again. </3 Thanks for your replies, anon.
>>
>>2239878
Melafix is fine, just measure out the dosage carefully, and it wouldn't hurt to dilute it before adding it to the tank. Supposedly labyrinth fish are much more sensitive to overdosing Melafix than other fish.
>>
>>2239851
>A couple years ago nobody on /aq/ knew guppies were marine and brackish fish
Rather bold. Guppies' type locality is Rio Guaire.

>that breed and live just fine in saltwater.
Sustainably? It would be an interesting read if that's the case, but as far as I know it isn't.
>>
For everyone talking about salinity levels. I know it's anecdotal, but in Hawaii a number of the smaller saltwater ponds at hotels and venues are actually brackish springs or anchialine ponds. One venue called the pagoda used to keep fish like koi, tangs, surgeonfish, larger damsels, racoon butterflies and jacks/ trevally at a salinity of about I believe 1.010. This was years ago though, and the staff felt that replacing the saltwater fish was simply to much effort due to the long acclimation time. They still have the large jacks in a seperate area from the koi I believe. I should note that the jacks can venture into full freshwater and the damsels, mostly sergeants, racoon butterflies and convict tangs are intertidal as juveniles, so they have a high fluctuation tolerance.They did have yellow tangs as well which aren't as tolerant though.
https://youtu.be/MbMXGXi3yNc
>>
I'm pretty sure that most of the ponds here that get direct sunlight either have a constant source of brackish/ seawater like the aquarium or keep their ponds at brackish levels to minimize the dangers of becoming too saline.
https://youtu.be/CGbdga_mNKE
https://youtu.be/kClhAL4sOHU
Ignore the bread.
This one has christmas wrasse, sergeants, convict tangs, barracuda, triggers, butterflies jacks, and a lot of tilapia. They used to have freshwater turtles as well I believe. The problem is that nobody takes good video of these places. I do have some pictures on my phone though.
>>
File: IMG_20161011_201523133.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161011_201523133.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
New snail made friends with the guppy fry. He won't leave his side. So cute.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I also wouldn't reccomend trying this without a large, stable system.
>>
>>2239916
Don't you guys have only 4 native freshwater fish that are all gobies?
>>
File: image.jpg (957KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
957KB, 3264x2448px
First one was surgeonfish and tilapia
This one is butterflyfish with tilapia and some sergeants.
>>
>>2239917
Yup, all of the freshwater gobies, shrimp, and snails have freshwater larval phases as well. There are still a good number of fish like mullet, barracuda, flagtail, milkfish, and rarely jacks that enter as well.
Nowadays though its all tilapia in the canals, mollies in the harbors, and the occasional juvenile barracuda.
>>
>>2239919
Saltwater not freshwater larval phases.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Barracuda along with a small jack.
>>
Last one just to fuck with people
https://youtu.be/eiRgkHI1fr0
>>
So hearing all of this brackish talk makes me want to do an aquarium with fresh water and saltwater fish mixed together. Which fresh and saltwater fish would y'all put together in a 30g?
>>
>>2239910
I was trying to see if the Christmas wrasse was Thalassoma trilobatum but I couldn't spot them. I love those little fuckers.

but yeah, people that actually get in the ocean will quickly notice reef fish in some pretty fresh water. Same thing happens in the mangroves near river mouths in the Caribbean. You'll see queen angels and blue tangs swimming in what's essentially fresh water.

>>2239900
>Sustainably? It would be an interesting read if that's the case, but as far as I know it isn't.
it would take you about 3 seconds on google scholar to find out....
>>
>>2239931
Near the bottom of this pic, >>2239918 not sure if it's one of the closely related species though. we have a couple of surge wrasses that all live in the same area.
>>
>>2239931
In my part of Miami, all of our reef fish hate the shoreline(except for grunts, porkfish, parrotfish, slippery dicks, hogfish, sergeants and other damsels). But when I go to the keys they're everywhere, it's weird.
>>
Customer came in yesterday, sometimes I forgot that there are people that are really, really beginner level. Ended up setting her up with water primer, test kits, and a new tank. She had a Betta with fin rot in one of those aquaphonics tanks. Hopefully it goes well.
>>
>>2239930
Mollies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6qRLQREO10
>>
>>2239933
It's because of all the Mexicans. They hate Mexicans.
>>
File: a mystery fish.jpg (1MB, 2471x1857px) Image search: [Google]
a mystery fish.jpg
1MB, 2471x1857px
>>2239932
yeah, I can't tell since the female surge wrasses look just like the female Christmas wrasse to me. I spent three days just taking pics of surge wrasses last time I was there. I love them but they're hard to get good pics of because the move around so much and they hang out in the surf. One of my all-time favorite fishes.

you might like this one if you know your Hawaiian fishies-

found on Kona side, big island.
>>
>>2239941
We get sea mexicans, we call em Cubans.
>>
>>2239933
yeah, I'm taking a cruise out of Miami in a week, I don't plan on diving there but I'm going to get some pics at grand cayman, belize, Honduras, and Cozumel. Florida diving is just so meh. Lots of sharks and rays but not a lot else most of the time from what I've seen.
>>
>>2239942
I don't have a full species list with me right now, but I think that's a hybrid. If so, you got pretty lucky. Closest I've seen were hybrid dwarf angels.
As for taking pictures of surge wrasses, yeah, that's a pain. They're all over the place off shore of Waikiki though, so I get plenty of opportunity to see them. Also, good taste in fish.
>>
>>2239948
Find sea grass beds, and bring a dipnet and a bucket. Always take big scoops in the sea grass, and I guarantee you'll neat blennies, gobies, crabs, shrimp, brittle stars, toadfish, scorpionfish, snails, hermit crabs, urchins, sea stars, sea cucumbers, damselfish, juvenile fish, lobster, puffers, killifish, pipefish, sea horses ect. Just a few examples of my catches next thread.

>>2239950
That's a butterflyfish of some sort. I tried looking for it through Paul Humann's ID guide and nothing.
>>
File: b15.jpg (3MB, 3533x2709px) Image search: [Google]
b15.jpg
3MB, 3533x2709px
>>2239950
>I don't have a full species list with me right now, but I think that's a hybrid. If so, you got pretty lucky.
bingo.

I didn't know what it was when I took the pic, I had to go back to the hotel and google it. I just knew it wasn't anything I'd seen before.

I envy you, you guys have the best diving and snorkeling.
>>
>>2239952
>Find sea grass beds, and bring a dipnet and a bucket.
thanks for the tip, I'll try that with my youngest son. He's scared of open ocean but I think that'd be something he'd love to do.
>>
>>2239958
Next thread, I'll post some pics, here's a video I did collecting in the seagrass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iisiuMee1w4
>>
>>2239953
Thanks, hope you enjoyed yourself. Big island was great for snorkeling and sightseeing. I'm on Oahu though, so you have to go a bit more out of the way for that.
>>
>>2239960
oh man, that was great!
I loved the lobster, but the pipefish is the one I've never seen before. I hope I find anything half as cool when I get out there.

I haven't dived the Caribbean for 15 years now, I'm pretty psyched to get back in those waters.
>>
>>2239958
Tell your wife's son to man up
>>
File: b8.jpg (2MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
b8.jpg
2MB, 3072x2304px
>>2239961
We always have fun there, I love Hawaii. I enjoy Oahu but I really like the Big Island just for how empty most of it is. And lava. We love the volcano. I always shop for houses when I'm there, I figure I'll move there someday. At least until I drown or get bored with snorkeling and fishing every day.
>>
File: e (2).jpg (1MB, 2288x1894px) Image search: [Google]
e (2).jpg
1MB, 2288x1894px
>>2239967
he's just scared of sharks and barracudas. Seems like a pretty rational fear to me. I tell him they're like dogs, they don't bite unless you touch their private parts.
>>
File: tumblr_oewzkxKIGX1vdpsm6o2_1280.jpg (120KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oewzkxKIGX1vdpsm6o2_1280.jpg
120KB, 1280x720px
BUCKET BOY
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVt2SX4IYsw

jesus this video is cringy
>>
Got bought an unwanted fighting fish, how long can he live with no filter and heater?

I cant take him back because I dont drive
>>
File: IMG_20161012_090234.jpg (609KB, 2152x1765px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161012_090234.jpg
609KB, 2152x1765px
One of my boys is fat as hell, and the others are skinny because he eats all the food. I can't seem to corner him with a net, there are too many plants in the way and he's just too quick. Would they all be okay if I fasted them for a while? How should I treat this efficiently? He's all backed up, right?
>>
>>2240162
>Got bought
>Unwanted

Why tho.
>>
>>2240191
Birthday present
or do you mean why unwanted? Because I am broke, I dont have a tank for him or a heater or filter and dont want him to die
>>
>>2240190
Yo that nigga fat af
>>
wish i could have like 60 bettas together
>>
Someone make a new /aq/ thread I am preparing a Viking funeral for squeakers for later >>2240097
>>
>>2240162
I know people who have had bettas in gallon jars for years. As long as you can keep the room above 74 and change out the water regularly, it shouldn't be to much of a problem, but if you can get a 2-5 gallon tank with a filter and heater, the fish would definitely benefit. Even if you can't drive, PetSmart's and Petco's websites have pretty good sales on small kits. Cheap heaters are pretty easy to come by on eBay.
>>
>>2240199
Petco $1 a gallon sale on 10 gallons and up and small heaters are easy to steal. Easily steal some of those petco bulbs and get a cheap ass lamp with a cheap ass CFL 5000k or higher.
>>
>>2240323
Also you can get small pebbles from creeks or even sand. Just rinse and boil it. Duckweed is also common in lots of lakes. Get some and rinse it. Duckweed will suck up some bad shit keeping the water good without a filter.
>>
>>2240325
Duckweed is a pain in the ass. Sticks to your hands, tracks everywhere, and clogs filters, should he choose to get one. I'd rather get salvinia or water lettuce on eBay for floating plants. They usually go for $4-5.
>>
>>2240332
Trying to be a cheap nigger here
>>
>>2240325
Plants usually only take care of nitrates, not ammonia. He's gonna need at least an inch of sand for good anaerobic bacteria if he wants to go no filter
>>
>>2240341
:-) water changes
>>
New thread >>2240337
>>
>>2240325
Please just get water sprite and float it. Duck weed is a fucking menace.
>>
>>2240323
>>2240325
britbong
tanks are expensive here

got a plastic tub for him, maybe i can get him a heater soon. If not I will try to give him away but he is ill and will probably be dead soon tbqh
>>
File: 3_LD_S2_0003.jpg (632KB, 5071x3456px) Image search: [Google]
3_LD_S2_0003.jpg
632KB, 5071x3456px
It's not much, my old plant died so it's just the three black skirt tetras here. blub blub
Thread posts: 374
Thread images: 78

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.