[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/aq/-aquarium general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 340
Thread images: 53

File: cory_splendens.jpg (62KB, 623x345px) Image search: [Google]
cory_splendens.jpg
62KB, 623x345px
- Corydoras Splendens Edition -

Continued from >>2175540

Discuss anything aquarium related here, including inhabitants, decor and issues.

Google is your friend.
Feel free to ask questions but know that there are a lot of resources out there that could answer your question a lot faster and accurately than /an/.

Make sure to include these things in your post before asking because we can't help you if we don't have the full picture:
-tank size
-parameters
-any and all inhabitants + how long you've had them

FAQ Section

>How to handle algae, snails, lighting, easy plants for beginners etc.) :

http://pastebin.com/KcJUJeV7

Links:
>How to cycle your tank: http://pastebin.com/x4WnB0Ah
>General aquarium care sheets - http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/
>Livestock and plants for sale - http://www.petsolutions.com/ http://www.aquabid.com
>FUCKING GOOGLE

We all make mistakes, so don't put anyone down - rather be helpful.
Chances are, you made a similiar mistake when you were starting out.

>Useful & Extensive database for aquatic plants and their parameters:

Flowgrow
http://www.flowgrow.de/db/aquaticplants

>Cool Youtube Channels:

>Aquascaping -

James Findley/The Green Machine
https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreenMachineLtd

Dennis Wong
https://www.youtube.com/user/xiaozhuangw

Filipe Oliveira
https://www.youtube.com/user/FaaoStudio

Oliver Knott
https://www.youtube.com/user/amanoshrimp

>Building your own shit/ Fish&Plant talk

King of DIY
https://www.youtube.com/user/uarujoey

Dustin's Fish Tanks
https://www.youtube.com/user/Dustinsfishtanks

Wayne's Fish World
https://www.youtube.com/user/samuelwaynefoleyjr

Aquarium related documentaries (German & English)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtkQ-oVBStx0EYRcwz3bHSA

KGTropicals - Mostly Cichlid Talk
https://www.youtube.com/user/KGTropicals

Lupdiesel - Shrimpkeeping/Breeding
https://www.youtube.com/user/LupDiesel
>>
>>2179943

regarding your Carbon Dosing - for me it worked rather well.

I have a heavily planted 13,5gal and already had co2 injection. After switching the lights to LED there was a big algae bloom, but then I started dosing Easylife Easycarbo, which is basically Flourish Excel for europe.

My current daily dosage is 4,5ml and I did experience enhanced growth aswell as algae dying off.

My advice would be to start dosing slowly using a syringe, beginning with 1ml (according to tank size) and to gradually increase the dosage.

Overdosing can kill your aquatic life so it's very important to be exact.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
I woke up this morning to find my Bolivian guarding a clutch of eggs! I'm not sure what to do.? Should I leave them in or move them to a bare 20 gallon?
>>
Well all but 2 of the new platys died in my tank, I did everything but medicate. None of my fish that have been in the tank are having any problems. Gonna take my water in on Tuesday but until then I'm gonna do daily 20% changes to make sure my corys, neons, honey gourami and the 2 surviving platys are okay.
>>
For those of you that have sumps.. did you make yours or buy yours? They look relatively easy to make, and those that you can buy online seem ridiculously priced for what they are.
>>
>>2180646
I hope your other fish do fine. With platys and other live-bearers, they often can be too inbred to be considered hardy anymore, almost to the point that I myself had more success with their wild colouration.
>>
File: CAM00294.jpg (597KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00294.jpg
597KB, 2048x1536px
Partial water changes once a week. Suprised none of the fish have died yet.

The grass is mostly river grass that's been growing in water already, and ten goldfish. They're all still there too and look healthy, no weird shit on their fins or anything. Might end up taking these guys with me when I move.
>>
File: CAM00295.jpg (451KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
CAM00295.jpg
451KB, 2048x1536px
>>2180665
Back
>>
>>2180662
Yeah, me too. I'm hoping the rest do okay and I'll probably just get some of the tetra variants or some barbs next time. I'm trying to add color to my tank but platys seem to sensitive.
>>
>>2180654
I've made a bunch of them.

I started off making them with all these dividers and chambers and alternating flow patterns, but over time they just evolved into empty aquariums or plastic tubs full of filters and equipment tossed in at random.
>>
>>2180540
I have a planted 5.5 gal with a dwarf guorami, I want to throw some red cherry shrimp in there, but I don't know if they'd just get eaten.
Should I get a snail instead?
>>
>>2180712
Gouramis may be iffy in terms of shrimp. Before you put reds in, maybe test out how he does with ghostshrimp, so you don't lose too much money. Or you could put in big amano shrimp, which shouldnt be a problem in terms of being preyed upon.
>>
>>2180665
that's awful. 10 goldfish with no filter in a bird bath? no way that thing holds more than 5 gallons.
>>
does anyone else have one of these fluval e series heaters?

Why are they so fucking useless?

I've set mine to 26 degrees and right now it's flashing telling me it's at 24 degrees and that's too low. How about instead of fucking flashing it just heats up the water so it's not too low???????

It's been like this for 2 fucking days. It's not even attempting to heat the water.
>>
>>2180780
it heats the water with a flashing LED.
>>
>>2180780
Have you tried increasing the temperature? Sometimes heaters will have inaccurate settings. For instance my heater is set to 90 but the water temperature is actually 88. So if you want 26 try setting it to 28. And calm down with those question marks, jeez.
>>
>>2180783
It's supposed to have a microprocessor in it to prevent exactly that. It's not based on a thermostat, it's actually reading the temp of the water.

Since it's saying the water is 24 and it's set to 26 then it SHOULD be heating.
>>
>>2180784
Well it's a cheap heater, sometimes they don't work as designed. Boo fucking hoo.
>>
>>2180787
>$50
>Cheap
>>
>>2180784
serious talk here-
no I've never tried one, but...
it looks like it has a nice plastic shroud around it which should keep your fish from cooking themselves on it but will also keep heated water from circulating as well. Make sure it's in a high-flow area if possible.

a lot of times heaters just don't do as good a job as they should for whatever reason. This is one good reason to have a couple of them instead of just one.

also make sure the wattage is sufficient for your tank size and room temperature. If the tank's too big or the air's too cold pretty much any heater won't be able to keep up.
>>
>>2180789
>$50
>expensive
Boy are you in the wrong hobby if you think $50 is a lot of money.

Why not try fidgeting with your piece of shit plastic instead of coming on here to moan and complain? Or better yet, return it and get a new one. Maybe it's defective? Use your fucking brain for once, faggot.
>>
>>2180792
$50 for a HEATER is a lot of money. Eheim Jagers are known as the best heaters and they're not even $50
>>
>>2180800
You think just because you pay $50 for some piece of glass and plastic you're entitled to some top end water heater? Boy are you fucking entitled. You're paying for a brand name and the fact that it's a, "aquarium heater." Just because they sell it specifically for the hobby doesn't mean it's going to be good. There plenty of regular water heaters you can buy that cost a hell of a lot more than $50. You get what you pay for and $50 is a dinner out with a friend.
>>
>>2180814
>$50 is a dinner out with a friend.
>poorfags making fun of poorerfags
I love /aq/
>>
>>2180819
>spending more than $50 on food
Like, maybe if it's sushi. But where are you eating that costs so much?
>>
>>2180827
I usually drink more than $50 worth of cocktails before the appetizers even reach the table. Though to be fair, in most good restaurants that's only two drinks anymore.
>>
>>2180814
You're being very silly. The reason why it costs even $50 is because it's a known brand. Of course he expects it to work.

Anyhow, I am a poorfag and my planted 55g cost maybe $200. It's not an expensive hobby for everyone.
>>
>>2180830
Alright Mr. Cocktail, what do you use to heat your 500g aquarium?
>>
>>2180833
that's pretty close to what I spent on my 60g marine FOWLR.

I got the tank, stand, sump, overflow and return pump for free though.
>>
>>2180836
I'm the anon with the 1000g system.

I use a bunch of $15 submersible heaters run by an $11 digital controller. On the 1000g I had 4- 150watt submersibles.

my 60g has 2 100w.
>>
>>2180839
>a bunch of $15 submersible heaters
Penn Plax Cascades to be specific. The old type with bimetallic thermostats.
>>
>>2180837
If most of it was free that seems like it shouldn't count!
>>
>>2180843
I don't know, I've got a lot of free tanks over the years.

I don't think they cost very much even if you pay for them though. It's probably the stand that kills your budget.
>>
>>2180839
Doesn't sound very resourceful.. but more reliable I guess. I'm in minor disappoint of you at the least, good sir. I wish I wasn't at work so I had an appropriate reaction image.
>>
>>2180851
Inline flash heaters don't really work on saltwater. You could plumb a freshwater heating system through a radiator that sits in the tank, but that has either problems with corrosion or problems with efficiency since the really good thermally-conductive materials all corrode in saltwater. Anything that doesn't corrode sucks at transferring heat.

The advantages to my setup were reliability- it doesn't matter if a heater burns out, I've got three more;
ease of maintenance- something breaks, no big deal just buy another;
and cost- I was trying to run it relatively cheap.

keep in mind this thing was costing me almost $200 a month in electricity alone. It's not an insignificant expense. A water change would cost close to $100 in salt and RO membranes/DI resins.

what are you disappoint about? That I'm cheap? I blow money on some things, others I go dirt cheap on.
>>
>>2180858
I was just joking around. I was under the expectation that someone with that large of a tank would have an expensive water heater.
>>
Can i make a community tank without having 5 of each type of fish?

I understand you typically want 5+ of a particular type of schooling fish but if I got all peaceful schooling fish and only 2 or 3 of each would they be OK?

Basically trying to cram as much diversity into a tank as I can.
>>
Thinking of starting my first tank as a planted 10 gallon. Was gonna use ADA Amazonia for substrate, put some osmocote+ fertilizer, and try to get some carpeting going and a bushy looking tank in general with maybe a driftwood or rock formation in the center. Should I consider a co2 system or will it have enough natural co2 since I'll be using the Amazonia substrate and fertilizer. Also any suggestions on lighting ? Should I buy a finnex stingray ? Thanks for any help with this. Not sure about fish yet.
>>
>>2180893
It depends on your idea of diversity and tank size. For 10 gallons you could get a dwarf gourami, 10 dwarf cories and 10-15 dwarf rasboras aswell as some snails and amano shrimp if its heavily planted.
>>
>>2180885
Next time I do one I'm going to pour it out of concrete and have in-floor radiant heat for the thing.
>>
>>2180894
Get and eheim power led or something comparable, but thats just my preference.

As for carpeting - even slow carpeters like marsilea hirsuta may need some co2 so maybe invest in a bio co2 reactor and graduate to a bigger pressure based system. You may also wanma check some of dennis wongs videos (channel linked in op) - His videos are very helpful in terms of aquascaping when it comes to lighting, fertilization, co2 and planting.
>>
>>2180901
Thanks for the quick response. Just looked up the eheim power led... 7 watt for 80 bucks on amazon. Is 7 watts enough for a heavy planted 10g?
>>
>>2180905
Nah, looks like you get played. For my 13.5 gallon, I got the 16 watts/1600lumen model and paid 130 € here in germany , including the PSU and Adapter.

So maybe check for the 11watt model, unless you wanna go full ultra high light, then 16watt, but I wouldn't recommend to go so high as a beginer, since many plants that benefit from this high light are fickle and if you don't know about proper dosing/nutrition, you may invite big algae problems. You can even buy these eheim leds used and still expect quality in most cases.
>>
>>2180911
I was planning on doing some more simpler plants for beginners like glosso for carpet, java fern, amazon sword etc. Do I need a very expensive filter for this as well?
>>
>>2180919
It depends on how you're stocking your tank- the filter is there to benefit the fish more than the plants.
>>
>>2180899
I have no idea what you're talking about so it must be expensive and complicated.
>>
>>2180919
Nah, plants only benefit from filter flow in terms of nutrient/co2 distrubution, but almost any filter will have a sufficient flow in a 10gal. Depending on your lifestock, you can pick your filter. If you wanna go for shrimp, a sponge filter is often sufficient and doesnt suck up baby shrimp, otherwise, you can get a small canister filter if you dont want your equipment to take up much space in the tank. Canisters also add some extra water volume to your tank as buffer. But even an ordinary internal filter is fine for a beginner.
>>
>>2180941
Thank you, any suggestions on plants and co2 system for the 10 gallon ? Was thinking of maybe a dwarf gourami or 2 and some bottom feeders / algae eaters... Maybe a school or tetra
>>
>>2180843
If I had a truck and not a car I would of had a 150 gallon tank with a sump, stand, hood, lighting, substrate, 60 pounds of live (dead) rock and decorations for free.
>>
>on vacation for two weeks
>actually missing my fish

Fuck. This is a weird feel, because I know they probably don't miss me.

That aside, I've been having trouble with my cabomba. The bottom of it rots, while the rest floats near the top and gets really bushy. Now all of my cabomba is floating. I wanted it to be in the substrate. Any ideas?
>>
>>2180931
He's going to make a concrete fish tank and use radiant heating, which is a heating system built into the concrete. It's incredibly efficient and would last a long time. It'd also be cheaper to an extent.
>>2180858
The bill cost ate part of the reason I'm looking into solar energy, it's expensive to get enough wattage to power a house, especially one with multiple fish tanks. But mainly it would lower the bill. I found a system that could run a house or 2 but I don't want a 150k solar generator sitting in my backyard.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>2180606
OH shit they already hatched!
>>
>>2181063
Pic is blurry. Did they hatch or get eaten? My angels lay eggs every few weeks, then gobble them back up. Some fish are bad parents.
>>
>>2181063
>>2181149
I ask because I'm pretty sure ram eggs don't hatch for at least 2 days. If they were laid this morning/overnight, there's no way they already hatched.
>>
>>2181025
I don't think I'd go with solar now.

most of the energy cost of my tank was lighting.
I had 4 400w metal halides and another 800w in fluorescents. I could replace that 2400 watts of standard lighting with about 1200 watts of LED's.

The electric heaters ran 600 watts when they were all on, but it wasn't a bad deal since they effectively heated my whole house. Once you get that much water up to 82 degrees it takes a few days for it to cool off.
>>
trying to get ammonia in my tank so i can cycle? I have some plants should i just cut some leaves and leave it there for a few days?
>>
Hey guys, I'm trying to set up my first aquarium and I was thinking of starting out with some neon tetras. My dad, who has about 4 decades of experience maintaining aquariums, said that he had a tough time keeping them alive for as long as he'd like. Can you guys think of any special steps I can take or anything I should pay especially close attention to to make sure they have a good environment? Wikipedia says they need a ph of 6.0 to 6.5 and a kh of 1.0 to 2.0. It also says to avoid putting large fish in with them and to have the tank be densely planted.
>>
>>2181188
I think you'll find they usually die for reasons unrelated to the care you provide.

they're not bred for longevity, and a lot of them come from the store with diseases of all sorts.

But for optimal care I'd go with an established tank that's been running for at least 6 months. Probably a blackwater setup, or at least peat moss in the filter. Lots of plants.

don't worry much about hardness or pH, in an established tank with lots of tannins and other organic pollutants the hardness and pH takes care of itself.

not too many water changes, that fucks with the water chemistry. Don't overstock and don't overfeed. You can feed fish once every couple days, they do fine.

most of them will die off really quickly anyways.
>>
>>2181181
decomposing leaves don't produce that much ammonia..

>>2181192
all really good advice! I had a dozen tetras from Petsmart for a while with no die offs. I rehomed them after about 3 years but they might still be alive.
>>
File: P8010015 (1024x768).jpg (479KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
P8010015 (1024x768).jpg
479KB, 1024x768px
>>2181025
the other thing I did to save money was start a mult-million dollar business and set my tanks up in my home office so I can write them off as a business expense.

I don't technically pay for my aquariums, my business does. Or my clients do, depending on how you look at it. Either way, I highly recommend it. As an added bonus my wife can't complain about the money I blow on fish since it's literally my business, and she doesn't comment on how I run my business.
>>
>>2181204
Yeah, no plans for a business yet. I'll remember that though.
>>
>>2181192
Thanks man, I'll get a good blackwater setup going and hope for the best.
>>
File: P8010017 (984x1024).jpg (650KB, 984x1024px) Image search: [Google]
P8010017 (984x1024).jpg
650KB, 984x1024px
>>2181229
You're welcome, good luck.

Keep checking the thread, other anons here really know their shit about neons and can tell you more.

I just used to keep them as dither fish with discus. Mine didn't usually last long, mostly because the discus ate them.
>>
File: tank_2.jpg (76KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
tank_2.jpg
76KB, 960x720px
>>2180992
dwarf gouramis are cool and enjoy vegetation. Just make sure they get along, since some of them can be quite aggressive towards each other, especially if you happen to get 2 males.

As for a co2 system - You could spend like 20€ for a beginner bio reactor including a ceramic diffuser. In germany we got JBL Bio Flora 80, but the US should have something comparable.

Or you could go full DIY and get a big half gallon/ gallon jugg and do your own co2 solution, including sugar, cake topping, water and yeast. There are many tutorials online on how to do it. You just would have to buy rubber tubing and a ceramic diffusor.

As for plants, just begin with more tried and true beginner/intermediate plants, like Echinodorus, hygrophila, java fern, anubias, hydrocotyle, rotala, ludwigia repens rubin or alternanthera reineckii as well as java moss

If you wanna start a carpet, my best experience was with Marsilea Hirsuta, because it even grows in shade, as long as sufficient co2 is supplied.

Pic is my 13.5gal where I used most of the above mentioned plants, if you wanna get an idea.
>>
Guys my Cambomba is covered in a thin, transparent goop. It's clouding my tank up like a motherfucker and I can't keep running the filter so strongly because it's a Betta setup.

Should I just throw it out?
>>
>>2181270
could be some bacterial growth -.is it dying in general or does it look healthy? how is your lighting? do you use any fertilizers? Could you get a read on your water parameters?

Cabomba is actually very undemanding, so something must be off in your tank.
>>
File: 2016-08-02 01.38.50.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-02 01.38.50.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Bit of a noob here. My brother recently went away to college and he left his aquarium with me. It was in appalling shape when I got it. Absolutely filthy, literally inches of shit covering the bottom, overcrowded as fuck, etc. The tank is I think 17 gallons (based on the measurements I took--it's 12"x24"x14")

When it first came to me, it had way too many fucking platys in it (tons of adults and lots of fry as well,) along with a single silver dollar fish. All but 3 of the platys died. The silver dollar is still alive but is neurotic as fuck.

I am not experienced with aquariums by any means but I've been doing research and slowly working at getting the tank back into shape. Pic related, did a ton of cleaning and got some fake plants for the silver dollar to have places to hide, as he's skittish as fuck and all alone. The silver dollar is stunted, I think. As far as I know it's several years old, but it is only 3-4 inches long.

This won't be for a while (the tank still needs work) but I'd like to restock the tank a bit. I'm wary of overcrowding and don't have much of an idea of what I can adequately accommodate in this size tank. I've heard the "inch per gallon" rule but I know that's not the best measure.

I'd LIKE to add a couple more platys and some cherry shrimp or something. Is this doable? How many shrimp could I add in a 17 gallon tank, assuming I'll have 5 platys and a silver dollar?
>>
File: 41T2icbhSmL.jpg (31KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
41T2icbhSmL.jpg
31KB, 500x375px
I had no idea that Bettas like to actually flop down to sleep at the surface, so I just spent half an hour startling my little buddy to make sure he was still alive, as he's just lying on his side on top of the filter.

>S-sorry, fish. ;~;
>>
>>2181283
that inch per gallon thing is bogus. different fish have different bioload.

Silver dollars, even when stunted get huge, so If I were you, rather get him a new home.

Platys are ok there, but if you don't sell fry off, will eventually overcrowd the tank and have a big bioload, not to mention, that big platys may prey on smaller shrimp/baby shrimp.

If I were you, I'd completely redo the tank - get a proper small grain substrate, get undemanding live plants for biological filtration, get driftwood, increase the water in the tank (seems rather shallow) and get some 10-12 corydoras , 15 ember tetras, blue dwarf tetras or any other small tetra species or micro rasboras in conjunction with some shrimp. The Silver Dollar will prey on the shrimp, even adult ones, so don't consider mixing them.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask /aq/.
>>
So just bought a new co2 diffuser after breaking my old one. The only one my LFS had in stock was some plastic Chinese one.

Two problems with it. The first is that it does make fine bubbles but also very large bubbles.

Second is it keeps blowing the tubing off the glass u bend. How do I fix these issues?
>>
>>2181413
OK I've solved that issue by gluing the tube on but now it's blown my return valve apart.

Wtf is wrong with this diffuaor¿
?
>>
>>2181151
There's little moving things in the hole they dug. I wasn't optimistic they would hatch to begin with either.
>>
My fish has been constipated and shitting constantly for the last few weeks. The shit is normal color, it's acting normally otherwise, no change in diet. The other fish don't have this problem. Any idea why it's happening?
>>
>>2181451
>constipated and shitting constantly
Wait..
>>
>>2181458
I was just trying to clarify it keeps having long strings of poo, not the same string of poo for the last few weeks
>>
Will plants treat the bacteria under my gravel (which is half an inch if that) as food or is it harmful for them? Want to get some plant that covers the floor.
>>
Will Dwarf Gouramis mess with live plants? Also, will they be OK alone with other community fish or do I need 2+
>>
>>2181500
>will they mess with plants

They like to nibble on plants but aren't destructive.
>will they be fine with other community
Yes, they'll be fine with most other fish. they do best in groups of their own, but only if it's females, males fight for territory. They're pretty cool fish to have.
>>
>>2180540
Hey guys so I was gifted 3 of those glo fin tetras.
Are they literal poop machines? Ever since I put them in the tank there are hundreds of little fish shits at the bottom of the tank. All the other fish in the tank have been acting crazy too, they've been going up and down the side of the tank non stop.
>>
>>2181518
Could be ammonia if they are going for the waters surface, my violet goby does that when the tank needs a water change

Not really sure, my fish is really sensitive to ammonia which is why he does that, think he will die soon but I don't want to make any rash decisions changing the water more than I should
>>
>>2181523
Shit,I forgot about ammonia. I'll test for it when I get back but I did a 15%water change so I think I should be okay for another week.
>>
>>2181525
Is your tank cycled? Could be that. Or it could just be the fish. They're made with chemicals to look that way so they could just be fucked up physically.
>>
>>2181283
The tank looks and sounds like a standard 20 gallon high, which is far too small for the silver dollar. Unless you're planning on getting a 4 foot tank and several more silver dollars sometime soon, I'd recommend rehoming him. If you want a large-ish fish to act as a centerpiece, a dwarf, honey, or thick-lip gourami, a Betta, a Bolivian ram cichlid, or a kribensis would be better. The krib might be a bit more aggressive than the other options, but should be fine if you give him his own little cave.

Platies are okay in there. The only way to avoid the tank getting overrun with babies again would be to get only males, though.
>>
>>2181181
Throw some fish food in there, or buy 100% ammonia from a store. Just make sure it doesn't contain anything else, like surfactants.
>>
>>2181450
Nice, congratulations. Breeding fish is always fun.
>>
File: 20160711_135050.jpg (3MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20160711_135050.jpg
3MB, 2560x1920px
I have a 10 gallon tank with a betta and a few snails. Do you think I can add anything else? If the betta is fine with snails does that mean hes most likely to be fine with ghost shrimp?
>>
>>2181561
Alright nigii?
>>
>>2181563
I'm sorry?
>>
>>2181565
Back to britfeel
>>
>>2181561
Ghost shrimp are fine. I had some in my 10g back when I had my beta. He chased around the corys I had in there too sometimes but shrimp area little less prone to stress than fish are, I think. Really just depends on your beta's behavior.
>>
File: 20160802_220014.jpg (3MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20160802_220014.jpg
3MB, 2560x1920px
>>2181573
I dont know what that is

Its so hard to get a good picture of this betta, can anyone see the lump?
>>
>>2181580
Oh well some dude called nigii posts your pictures there all the time, says there his.
>>
>>2181581
What board is it on? Are you sure they are mine?
I suppose its a compliment

>>2181577
Thank you, how many would you recommend for a 10 gallon, about 10?
>>
Why can't I find Pearl Weed anywhere in the UK?

I can find something that looks exactly the same called Hemianthus micranthemoides which is called "pearl grass" but apparently the scientific name for pearl weed is Hemianthus glomeratus

so what gives are these the same plant or what?
>>
>>2181587
r9k, called britfeel
>>
>>2181587
Lurk /britfeel/ and /brit/, if you see a trip called Nigii, please call him out of his psycho shit
>>
>>2181604
why would anyone want to lurk on r9k? gross.

>>2181597
common names are extremely unreliable and can cover dozens of similar looking plants. that said, yup they are almost definitely the same thing. H. glomeratus is incorrectly traded as H. micranthemoides.
>>
>r9k ruining one of the last few good boards
He already said he doesn't care now back to where you came from
>>
>>2181587
>>>/r9k/30389606
>>
I honestly don't care that he likes my pictures please stop spamming
>>
>>2181613
It is on /aq/, this board is slow. Anyway I asked nicely there was no need to kick off
>>
Remember to report shitposting.
>>
>really love invertebrates
>majority of freshwater inverts are either illegal here or are just not imported at all

Are reef tanks as expensive as everyone makes them out to be?
>>
>>>/r9k/30390207
frogs are mad
>>
>>>/r9k/30390400
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>2181633
Depends on how nice you want your setup to be. It's easier if you have all the fancy tech but it's not necessarily required. And yeah, the tech can be expensive.
>>
>>2181633
what do you consider expensive?

would it be difficult for you to come up with $500 to spend? How about a thousand? Would it bother you if you spent that and it was completely wasted?

If a thousand bux doesn't seem like a lot of money to you and you wouldn't care if you lost it, then no, they're not expensive.
>>
File: Microdevario-kubotai-Nonn.jpg (57KB, 700x466px) Image search: [Google]
Microdevario-kubotai-Nonn.jpg
57KB, 700x466px
Cool fish
>>
I have a 2.5 gallon and I have no idea what to do with it. I don't fancy keeping a betta in it, reckon theres out else cool I could have in it?
>>
File: tumblr_n85ej7LUAg1s3c1oao1_500.jpg (20KB, 500x192px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n85ej7LUAg1s3c1oao1_500.jpg
20KB, 500x192px
does anyone else ever get sick of seeing tanks like this? the green machine videos aggravate me for some reason. they seem so pretentious.
>>
>>2181699
No, it's art.
It evokes a certain feeling in me.
Nostalgic, like I've stood on a hill overlooking a rocky ledge above a grassy plain at some time before.

Dreamy, like I can imagine it as some storybook countryside with unknown adventures and characters just out of sight in the landscape.

it's fine if it doesn't produce any reaction in you, but you're missing the point if that's the case.
>>
File: tumblr_n7fpphV5Xj1s3c1oao1_500.png (379KB, 1176x697px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n7fpphV5Xj1s3c1oao1_500.png
379KB, 1176x697px
>>
>>2181547
Agreed. I thought I could get some kind of advice here but I guess Google is good enough.
>breeding fish is always fun
Last time I bred fish I ended up with like 400 fucking long fun zebrafish. There's at least 175 full grown in my 90 gallon just hanging out, hardy as fuck and not going anywhere soon. I sold about 200 of them for 25 cents each to an elementary teacher but apparently that price is too high for anyone else.. A full grown ram should at least get me $5 in store credit this time...
>>
File: swordtail-fish.jpg (43KB, 500x293px) Image search: [Google]
swordtail-fish.jpg
43KB, 500x293px
I've got a cycled 5 gallon, but no clue what to put in it. Gravel substrate with a cave, silk plants, and a moss ball. It's got a filter and a heater set to 79° but obviously I can take that out. So far I've been recommended:
-betta
-cherry barb
-mollies
-white cloud mountain minnows
-swordtails

Out of those choices, what do you guys think I can put in there? I'm at a loss. I've had bettas and endlers before, but I want to try something different. Thanks in advance m8s
>>
>>2181734
I'm not too experienced but been reasearching for my first tank. Maybe a dwarf gourami or keyhole / dwarf cichlid ? I'm getting one of those for my 10 gallon I'm making soon.
>>
>>2181734
I'd go with a betta, or 5 neon tetras, or some cherry barbs, Or white cloud minnows. Only one choice really, if you want something colorful but easy bettas are the way to go. With 5 gallons to can't have much, you can go nuts with dwarf shrimp like ghost, cherry or blue dream, but with not so much with fish.
>>
File: 1410827958758.jpg (210KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
1410827958758.jpg
210KB, 1000x667px
Where in the SHIT can I purchase a green neon tetra? Every time I go to any store I ask for the neon tetras and the employees stare at me and go, "The what?" I thought these fuckers were common. What do I have to do to get a fucking green neon tetra around here. Pic goddamn related.
>>
File: 18.21312.gup.01.jpg (13KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
18.21312.gup.01.jpg
13KB, 250x188px
>>2181734
almost everything is too big for that tank. you could keep a single betta or dwarf gourami, a few male guppies, endlers, a small school of neons, nano rasboras, or white cloud minnows.

swordtails can get 5 inches so definitely not.
>>
>>2181758
I got my neons at petsmart but they're blue not green, they had some black neons to.
>>
>>2181747
10 gallons is too small for any fully grown chiclid btw.
>>
>>2181761
Thanks for the input but unfortunately I'm really keen on getting specifically green neon tetras, also known as false neon tetras, because they're almost half the size of a regular neon tetra. I need them for my dorm room's nanotank, if I can't find them I think I'll have to order them online.
>>
>>2181765
Yeah, they're probably too small for general petstores to carry. Guys that small often become meals. I know petco can special order fish for you which might be cheaper than online.
>>
How much can fish adjust to pH?
I want to get some rasboras but they apparently do well in slightly acidic/neutral water.
Unfortunately my pH is stable around 8. Unless I buy water from the LFS I don't see anyway to lower it.

So my question is, will they do fine in it as long as the parameters are stable or is it too high for them?
>>
>>2181769
Harlequin rasboras to be precise.
>>
>>2181769
Unless they're not wild caught they should be okay.
>>
>>2181768
Bless your soul! Do you know if shipping is free? I appreciate this info so much.
>>
I meant if they're not wild caught it should be fine. Fuck me.
>>
>>2181772
Not sure I'm just hoping it'd be cheaper than the 35-45 people charge online. I need to special order female honey gourami myself.
>>
File: p-89960-True-Rummynose.jpg (26KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
p-89960-True-Rummynose.jpg
26KB, 360x360px
>>2181779
Can't find green neon tetras at liveaquaria.com, where Petco supposedly gets their fish from. Does anyone know if they'll order from somewhere else to get these tiny bastards? Otherwise, could I put any rummynose tetras (pic related) in a tall 5 gallon?
>>
File: explain.jpg (110KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
explain.jpg
110KB, 1366x768px
explain
>>
>>2181790
they seem pretty big to put in such a small tank, especially with such a small footprint.

wetspot has green neons:
>http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwcharacins&1470436811
>>
how much should ten red cherry shrimp cost?
Like what would you say is a fair price?
>>
>>2181802
That's what I thought too. I've got some in a larger tank at home, but they look too comfy to move. Thanks for the link, I also found them at freshwatertropicalfishonline.com, 25 for $25. Planning on calling to ask if I can order just ten, I'd be willing to pay $15.
>>
>>2181804
30-40$
>>
>>2181808
wow thats a lot, I don't think i'll risk it
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P70Id8MpCsI
What type of fish is the black one?
>>
>>2181734
>I've got a cycled 5 gallon
So fucking retarded. Do you beta numales understand the meaning of the word "cycle"?

You can't "cycle" a tank without fish in it. See, it wouldn't be a "cycle."
>>
>>2181816
>Do you beta numales
Sorry alpha

idiot
>>
>>2181804
it varies a ton. I'd pay up to $20, personally.

>>2181816
you can cycle a tank without fish.
>>
I need to finish cycling my new shrimp tank. Does it matter what type of fish I toss in? Would like to add them to my community tank after the tank is established.

So far there is nothing in the tank besides substrate, some slate, and 3 moss balls.
>>
File: s-l1000.jpg (59KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1000.jpg
59KB, 600x600px
So I've just noticed my bettas missing loads of his tail. Is there a possibility the filter ripped it?
I can imagine it getting sucked into the bottom.
>>
>>2181832
it's kinder to do a fishless cycle but you can cycle with any tropical freshwater fish.

>>2181835
it could be the filter or could be fin rot.
>>
>>2181839
I have done a fishless cycle up to this point, all the parameters are good except ammonia, which is around .25 or .5ppm. Its been that for 2 weeks now.
Maybe I am doing something wrong?
>>
>>2181840
typically takes 4-6 weeks unless you have seeded media. you're adding ammonia every day?
>>
>>2181816
>You can't "cycle" a tank without fish in it.
Uhhh.. maybe you shouldn't post if you don't know what you're talking about? Cycling a tank with fish can be faster, but is not necessary.
>>
>>2181841
I have been letting some food decay.
>>
>>2181879
how long have you been cycling for? food is going to take longer than pure ammonia.
>>
>>2181881
4 weeks now, so I know I am not that far into the process but was just wondering what /an/ thought on the matter.

On a somewhat related topic, my other established tank always seems to read .25ppm on ammonia. I keep feeding to a strict amount, have a strong enough filter, and not an overstocked tank. I have tested the tap water and got back a reading of .5ppm. How bad is .25ppm on ammonia and is there any way to lower it?
>>
>>2181882
Maybe your test is broken, have you tried it on bottled water?
>>
>>2181882
which test are you using? sounds like you might be misreading it. the ammonia test for the master kit always looks a little green. you could take your water into Petco or something to see if your readings are accurate.
>>
>>2181888
>>2181891
Master test kit from API. I will take it to the LFS and chain store and see what they say.
>>
>>2180759
They look healthy and happy to me. Swim around in a school all day eating algae and whatever little bugs fall in. hide in the middle piece whenever a bird lands for a drink.
>>
>>2181896
Yeah, while I don't care about goldfish. They actually need a lot of space and can grow large given that.
>>
>>2181694
Shrimp and snails mainly. Do a small planted tank for example.

Fish would sadly all be too big, so no micro rasboras even.
>>
>>2181699
I truly can't understand how someone could get mad at tgm, that's like yelling at bob ross BECAUSE HE PAINTS THOSE PICTURES.

Do you dislike aquascaping in general or just Findleys narration? I think Findley just tries to explain his emotions and visions, when doing a setup. While it may sound a bit ethereal or pretentious, he does give good insight into his reasoning, while also supplying advice on how to improve your own layout, so in my book that's a plus.
>>
>>2181561
Hey, it's you! I'm glad to see you posting so soon again. I was inspired by an idea when I saw your tank decorations last, but missed the opportunity to mention it.

Anyways, that cool as fuck house you got? It's perfect opportunity to get some cheap ass moss, either java or marimo, or whatnot, and attach them to the rocks and stuff. It will greatly add to the whole ancient underwater ruins vibe, while being as zero low maintenance as possible.

Best thing about plants like marimo and java moss is that they don't require bright expensive lights, ferts, CO2, or anything like that. Just cut it to the shape you want, tie it down, and plop it in your tank. And that's it!

Your tank gives me the impression that you're the kind of anon who would love that kind of stuff. Plus your betta will have a super soft comfy bed to chill out on. You can name it BBP. Betta Bachelor Pad.
>>
>>2181694
There are a shit ton of cool different shrimp and snail species. Shrimp come in all different colors, from red, to blue, to green, even yellow! And the same with snails. Google "aquarium bumblebee snail" although be warned, people sometimes mistake assassin snails for bumblebee snails, and assassin snails are carnivorous, if they run out of food they will eat the other snails in the tank.

Which is actually why they became so popular, they can eradicate populations of invasive snails that hitched a ride into a tank on a new plant/decoration, and started breeding out of control.
>>
I've heard ada amazonia substrate leaves the tank water cloudy and dirty for a couple weeks. Is it ok to add plants during this time if I'll be doing water changes to clear the murkiness ? This is my first tank btw and will be 10 gallon. Thanks for any help with this.
>>
>>2181933
This is actually the best time to add plants. Why wait for it all to settle, only to stir it up and make the water cloudy again by digging up the dirt and sticking plants all over?
>>
>>2181734
If you can find them, a pair of peacock gobies would be awesome.
>>
>How are my tank aesthetics, bros?

The milk bottle is weighing down the Gold Vine as it's still a tiny bit buoyant and I don't want it getting knocked out of the gravel until it fully settles.
>>
>>2181988
Polite sage for adding:
I'm not keen on the weedy vine; Worried it's too rough for his fins, so I'll probably swap it out next week.
There's the two small mystery snails and I want to add four Peppered Cories soon.
>>
>>2181933
in my experience, the cloudiness of active substrates like amazonia or fluval stratum can be minimized when you don't wash them beforehand and plant the plants beforehand in the wet substrate, before you very carefully add water. At max it should only cloud up a few days if at all.

>>2181988
I like your arc. You may wanna think about adding some more hardscape like rocks and some more plants. Elodea could grow really thick in there if you are looking for a cheap and easy plant.

If you wanna add cories, round gravel is still fine, but you may wanna think about switching to another substrate in the future like sand or a small grain porous substrate, since they like to dig a lot. Also easier to maintain and better for plants.

Dead leaves (Indian Almond/Catappa, Maple or Oak) are also appreciated by corydoras.
>>
File: 2016-08-02 06.46.54.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-02 06.46.54.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2181339
>Silver dollars, even when stunted get huge, so If I were you, rather get him a new home.
I spoke to the owner of the local aquarium shop about the silver dollar. They said that if he outgrows the tank, they will gladly take him for me. I was quite pleased to hear that. They seemed to be pretty passionate and take care of their fish well.

Oh, I don't know if I mentioned but all the 3 remaining platys are female, so no more fry. The biggest one is about 2.5"

I would love to just redo the tank (and get some tetras, I've always loved tetras,) in fact I'd love to just upgrade to a 50 gallon or similar size, but I don't have the money at the moment to do such a big overhaul. When I can save up for it, I definitely intend to do that. Thanks for the suggestions!

>>2181538
>The tank looks and sounds like a standard 20 gallon high, which is far too small for the silver dollar
Yeah, that's what I was worried about. If he gets any bigger, he'll be getting a new home. Thanks!
>>
>>2182022
Good to hear that he will find a new home.
>>
File: image.jpg (627KB, 1532x2052px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
627KB, 1532x2052px
Update on reef jar:
Added more water
Added tiny red mushroom coral
Fed worms and starfish

No algae yet
>>
>See plants used in aquascape
>Go on ebay to buy plant
>Picture of plant looks the same as in aquascape
>Plant arrives
>Looks nothing like either plant

These has happened to me several times, am I just getting sold dud plants?

recently i'ts happened with Rotala Rotundafolia and Alternanthera Reineckii. Pictures always show bushy compact growth but what I get is lanky and stringy and hardly red at all.
>>
>>2182206
Plants are either stressed from shipping, were grown emersed or without sufficient lighting, co2 and ferts.

Unless you bought yourself some ultra fickle plants like rotala wallichi, I am sure, yours will recover and adapt to the conditions you provide.
>>
>>2181760
>a few guppies, endlers, neons, nano rasboras, or white cloud minnows

Thanks friend! But just how many could I keep in a 5 gallon? I looked up white cloud minnows and it told me the minimum tank size was 29 gallons.
>>
>>2182260
About 5 of each you, can push it with the minnows since they can tolerate shit conditions but I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>2182269
Thanks a lot. Do you think a 5 gallon is going to look like cluttered shit with schooling fish? It's almost a cube but just a bit taller than it is wide. Should I just get a betta? I've been looking everywhere for false neon tetras because they only get like, a half inch big, but I can't find them except online and the shipping is way too pricey.
>>
>>2182260
guppies, endlers (better than guppies since they're smaller and infinitely better IMO), and the minnows don't need to school so 2-3. minnows are super hardy but I definitely wouldn't add more, they get 1.5 inches. for schooling fish you want the smallest possible school- usually 4-6.
>>
>>2182273
it's not so much that it'll look super cluttered as there's not much swimming space. if you put a few plants in I'm sure it'd look great!
>>
>>2182273
besides, if you look at the stock pictures for most tanks it's apparently better overcrowded :D
>>
Has anyone else ever had a problem with a co2 ceramic diffuser putting up too much resistance?

Mine seems to need such a high pressure to operate it's blowing lines and check valves apart
>>
I have one glowlite tetra that has a gill that is more open than the others. She's been like this for about a week. I thought it was the parasite that killed my other tetra, but she's hanging on. What can I do? She is not eating, is more pale and is breathing rapidly.
>>
>>2181988
Looks damn good, when that java moss takes root it's going to be a beauty.
>>
File: p-72838-62359-fish.jpg (28KB, 311x315px) Image search: [Google]
p-72838-62359-fish.jpg
28KB, 311x315px
>>2182321
Probably is a parasite. If she's not eating, it may have already entered her mouth and is preventing her from swallowing. Look into pic related.
>>
File: endler.png (583KB, 1247x895px) Image search: [Google]
endler.png
583KB, 1247x895px
>>2182276
>endler's livebearer
>minimum tank size: 20 gallons
Is this fucking wrong or what, I don't understand why such a puny fish needs such a big tank.
>>
>>2181988
I don't think that plant with white on the leaves is true aquatic
>>
>>2182376
Thank you.
>>
>>2182379
that's odd. I keep endlers and they're very small and aren't super active. it's probably the minimum for a breeding population.
>>
File: fuckin trolls.png (347KB, 1019x699px) Image search: [Google]
fuckin trolls.png
347KB, 1019x699px
>>2182379
>liveaquaria.com
kek. pic fucking related.
>>
>>2182390
Yeah, I guess. Thanks for the input!
>>2182392
hnnnngng

Side note, why lfs are infinitely better than chain pet stores:

Petsmart:
>Hello yes, I'm calling in to see if you have a certain type of fish available. It's called an endler's livebearer?
>"Ok let me transfer you to our fish expert"
>fish 'expert': "uuumm i don't think we do, I've never heard of that one before."
>could you check?
>*click*

lfs:
>hi, I'm calling to ask if you might have an endler's livebearer in stock?
>"nope, no endlers right now, but call back in a week and I'll let ya know if we've got em in."

bless the lfs.
>>
>>2182399
my petsmart carries endler/guppy hybrids... they're called cobra I think? I got some for $1 a while back.
>>
What to do if I'm going on a long vacation? I'm moving for 3 months in the winter. I've got a handful of neons in a generic 5g but I can't take the tank with me when I leave. All I have on the other end is a 1 gallon cube. It has a filter, but it's small and shitty. Can I get by with my tetras in there or will they be kill?
>>
How do minnows (white cloud) do with live plants. Will they eat them or can I keep both in a tank?
Basically looking for nice community fish for a planted tank.
>>
>>2182420
can you take the other filter with you? they might make it if the other tank is cycled.
>>
>>2182420
Don't you have anyone that you could ask to look after them? Friend, coworker, relative? You can automate most of the shit by setting the light on a timer and getting an automatic food dispenser, so the person that looks after them, only has to do some water changes in your absence and just look if everything is alright.

1 gallon seems shitty as hell for tetras. If I were you, I'd buy a big ikea plastic box und use that as temporary filter, the can be up to 30gallons and you just have to pay like 10 $ for them. Get a filter in there and use it as temporary tank when you cant find anyone that can look after them.
>>
>>2182422
they're fine with plants. max temp is 72 degrees, so they're not suitable for all tropical setups though.
>>
>>2182425
The current is pretty strong as it is, I don't want them to get obliterated in the 1g. Also the tank and filter came as a unit so I'm not sure how to detach it... But I can have the 1g cycled with some bottled stuff and then put the other filter media in there just to be sure there's enough bacteria. Would that work?

>>2182426
I'm an RA so I don't really want anyone poking around my dorm room while I'm gone. I know the 1 gallon is super shitty, I got it for salt dips. Thanks for the plastic bin idea, I'll probably wind up doing that. I just don't know how to take the other filter with me, I can't seem to get it off of the tank. It's sort of attached.
>>
>>2182429
the bottled stuff rarely works and when it does, it's only meant to speed up the cycling process. filter media has to stay in nonchlorinated water or the bacteria will die.

the bin is a good idea! alternatively just rehome them, it'd just be a few bucks to get new ones.
>>
>>2182430
The bottled stuff has worked in the past for me, unless my tests were bad. Anon could also just bag up the filter with bottled water or tank water. Personally I would just bag them up and bring the tank, it's only a 5 gallon. How far are you moving anon?
>>
>>2182422
White clouds are fine, almost all smaller fish are plant safe. If you are afraid of fish destroying or eating plants, you just have to avoid most bigger cichlids or plecos, some loaches also munch on leaves, but when you feed them boiled veggies, they prefer that over plant leaves.

Small community fish for a beginner are plenty, anything from tetras, to micro rasboras, white clouds, endlers etc.

Just do thorough research on some species you find appealing and pick the one that seems the most appropriate for the factors you can provide in terms of tank size, food, water parameters etc..
>>
>>2182430
>>2182432
I use bottled bacteria and have had it work many times, according to my master test kit. I'm not moving far, but the 5 gallon is glass and I don't have the box anymore. Also I'm not driving, so I don't want to piss my friends off by making them bring along my fish tank when there's hardly enough room for us. I'll probably go for the bin idea if I can't just bring the tank, but I'll ask my buddies.
>>
>>2182429
Do the box thing if you can't move the tank.

Get a cheap 10-20 dollar internal filter for the new plastic box and stock it with some of the filter media from your old tank, so you already have established colonies of bacteria, easier to cyle that way.

It's a more ghetto way but it will work out. Had to set up a tank like that for a friend of mine who foolishly bought cichlids that preyed on half of his community tank.
>>
I want to get a plant carpet for my 10g tank. I currently have gravel. Can I just pour the dirt substrate over the gravel?
>>
>>2182392
A gallon is quite a bit more than the 6 oz cup they were born and spent their whole life to that point in...
>>
So I just learned that co2 tablets are worthless and injection is the way to go. How expensive is the maintenance? I was planning on having a few planted tanks..
>>
>>2182479
Maintenence is the cheap part, initial start up is the main hurdle.
>>
>>2182471
>>
>>2182471
I wouldn't go smaller than 2 gallons
>>
File: 1469678178094.gif (3MB, 336x335px) Image search: [Google]
1469678178094.gif
3MB, 336x335px
>go to LFS to buy some wood
>see cool looking spider wood
>$75
>lol.. what?
>even ones at most half as small are $35
>that can't be right
>get home and check online
>prices seem accurate
The fuck? Since when did wood get so expensive? Where does this spider wood come from that makes it almost three quarters of a hundred dollars for a foot by a foot n' a half of wood?
>>
>>2182570
I was super surprised to find HUGE chunks of all kinds of wood for $13AUD at my local (chain) petstore. Every size was $13, though, from tiny to huge.
>>
why do people keep being assholes to me about my desktop minnow tank? it's 6 gallons and I only have 3 of them.
>well you know, you should absolutely never have any vertebrae life kept in anything below 14.25 gallons!
>6 gallons? that tank is only good enough for shrimp or snails lmao
the aquarium community really has a stick up its ass. it's not like I'm keeping them in the fucking bag they came in.
>>
>>2182639
It's a shibboleth. A secret handshake.

Online fish experts recognize each other by how they all gang up and harass anyone that disagrees with their collective wisdom.

fuck them. If someone at work criticized the tank in my office I'd probably bloody their nose. I'd definitely tell them to get the fuck out and keep their idiot opinions to themselves.
>>
>>2182651
I think this is the most agreeable thing I've heard all day. I'm glad someone else understands, thanks mate!
>>
File: 81TEz67zxGL._SL1500_.jpg (153KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81TEz67zxGL._SL1500_.jpg
153KB, 1500x1500px
Aquarium stock photos are the best
>>
>>2182651
Enjoy being fired, sued, and having charges pressed against you.

>"Why did you do this anon?"
>"Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time."
>"What part of physically assaulting a person over a couple of mean comments about a glorified block of water with some non self aware species thrown in is a good idea? It's not like fish can have their feelings hurt."
>>
>>2182669
Ow, my brain hurts.
>>
>>2182669
Seems legit, what's hilarious is the Walmart fish tank kits say you can throw 3 African cichlids in a ten gallon. Fucking great shit.
>>
>>2182674
>Walmart fish tank kits say you can throw 3 African cichlids in a ten gallon
you can.

for a while.
>>
>>2182670
I own the company, I have liability insurance, and the most I'll get is a $50 ticket which they'll also get for provoking a fight.

and if they sue me they'll definitely get fired.

Say whatever you want online, but you'll keep your 'advice' to yourself in real life if you know what's good for you. People don't actually appreciate morons telling them how to do things they're already doing just fine.
>>
>>2182683
Damn man, what do you own?
>>
File: rip.png (159KB, 478x470px) Image search: [Google]
rip.png
159KB, 478x470px
Help me /aq/. Today I tried to put down my betta fish, but when I scooped him up and watched him squirm, I just couldn't fucking do it. I had a glass of whiskey all ready for him and my arms just went all noodly. He has dropsy and he hasn't eaten anything since 2 weeks ago, even when it's right in front of his face. One time he swallowed it, then he spit it all back out. He won't even eat bloodworms. I know he's going to suffer and starve to death, or worse, but I just can't fucking bring myself to dump him in the glass.
>>
>>2182691
Drink the whiskey yourself (it may not be strong enough to do the job quickly) and put him in the freezer. About as painless as it gets
>>
>>2182691
he probably can't suffer, if that helps any.

But if you feel he's at the end of the line, why not have a couple glasses of that whiskey yourself before trying to give him mercy?
>>
>>2182685
Nothing of importance.
>>
>>2182694
>>2182696
I've read bad shit about freezers, like it expands their cells and that hurts him real bad or something. Do you think vodka would do it? I heard alcohol is the best way to go. That's how I'd want to go, anyhow.

I dunno, he doesn't do nothin but lay on the bottom all day long, sometimes he goes in the cave but that's about it. I thought it must be his time. But then I scooped him up and he fought like the devil. Now I don't know what to do.
>>
>>2182691
If you can't do the whiskey, clove oil is another option. Just put some drops in the tank and let it work, he'll pass out then eventually die.
>>
>>2182703
Where the hell do I get that? Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>2182699
alcohol burns their gills and suffocates them, so if they can feel pain that's going to hurt them.

this anon is correct:
>>2182703
clove oil is an anesthetic for fishies, he won't feel a thing.
>>
>>2182699
I've always heard that if you put them in cold (just a few degrees above freezing), they'll pass out almost immediately. I could be wrong though, no one seems to agree on anything in this hobby.

>>2182703
>>2182706
I thought clove oil only put them to sleep temporarily. Or do you just kind of have them OD on it?
>>
>>2182704
Any nature or hippie store will have it, I think even GNC sells it to. Stuff is 6 dollars a bottle and used by most aquarist. I'd suggest moving your betta
to a bucket or jar though, unless you don't mind cleaning the entire tank afterwards.
>>2182708
If you leave them in for about 10 minutes after they pass out they die.
>>
>>2182708
>do you just kind of have them OD on it?
yes, it's dangerous for medical use because like most anesthetics it's pretty easy to kill an animal instead of just knocking it out. So you just leave them in the stuff and after a while they die. No pain, no stress, just sleep.
>>
>>2182711
>>2182710
>>2182706
This shit makes me feel so terrible, I don't know what to do. I'm starting to get guilty, I just read a thread where some guy said to put him down the garbage disposal. I know he's in pain but I don't want to kill him, I've had him for 5 years.
>>
>>2182691
Just flush him down the toilet, into the great unknown.
>>
>>2182717
5 years is actually long for a betta they only usually live 4 years. We've all had to put down fish before, it's not easy, but we're recommending you the way that'll be the last painful for him.
>>
>>2182717
clove oil is seriously the best way to go. I wouldn't mind dying like that at all.

and 5 years is old for that fish, as anon up there said.
>>
>>2182721
>>2182724
Thanks guys, guess I'm gonna look for clove oil. I appreciate the advice and comfort, no b8 this is one of the best fish forums on the web. Everywhere else is pissy and judgemental but you guys are great.
>>
>>2182454
I would switch to another substrate with smaller grains for carpeting - most carpeting plants have delicate and weak roots. How is your co2 and lighting?

Try glossostigma or marsilea hirsuta if you never head a carpeting plant before, since the are very undemanding.
>>
>>2182639
I don't see a problem with only 3 minnows in 6gal, since they have a low bioload and providing aedequate filtration for them shouldnt be a big deal.

I think people get too militant and caught up in numbers. Being mad at someone doesn't help.

Even if a guy is trying to put an oscar into a 10gallon, I don't try to attack him for his obvious lack of research, but rather give constructive advice.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (432KB, 929x634px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
432KB, 929x634px
t-they will be ok right guys?

Ive made a grave error in judgement
>>
>>2182806
that might work for a couple months
>>
File: 1237981329_hjMuV-L.jpg (150KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1237981329_hjMuV-L.jpg
150KB, 800x600px
>>2182806
>>2182806
>two fish that can both potentially grow over a foot and a half long

sure. for about a month.
>>
File: 5432543.jpg (118KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
5432543.jpg
118KB, 1920x1080px
>>2182816
Jesus christ its real, holy fuck

I knew that the goby would get a little big, but plecos get over a foot? Holy shit that's scary
>>
>>2182806
Noob here. This aqadviser website looks like a really cool tool! Can any experienced /aq/uarists vouch for its accuracy? At least in determining stocking rates (I'm super paranoid about overstocking.)
>>
>>2182819
I'm almost 27 now and owned aquaria since I was 8, started serious when I was about 15 and had a little break from 22-25.

In my book it's a neat site, but it should not be a crutch. What works best, is talking to other aquarists, preferably IRL and profiting from their tried and true experience and doing lots of your own research.

The stock rates are okayish, but don't take other factors into account, like fish behaviour in relation to other tankmates, planting, filtration etc. .

My advice would be, begin understocked and raise it to a level, that you and the fish are comfortable with.

If you can give me your parameters(size, planting, filter. lighting) and what you have in mind in terms of stocking, me and and others here can review it.
>>
>>2182806
>10g
>anything other than lil baby fish
kek
>>
>>2182806
You're an idiot dude. Why didn't you research the fish before you got them
>>
File: 20160703_2101392.jpg (148KB, 1527x859px) Image search: [Google]
20160703_2101392.jpg
148KB, 1527x859px
Set up a new tank today.

Hairgrass foreground, Blyxa Japonica, Alternathera Alternanthera reineckii, Pearlweed, Rotala Rotundafolia, and whatever that big leafed thing is on the left.

First time using co2 on this scale. Obviously it looks like shit now, but how long should it take everything to transfer into it's compact co2 and fert enriched growth state?

Also should I go in with high light from day one or dim it a bit?
>>
>>2182942
It all depends. Cool tank, may need more prominent hard scape but thats just my taste.

What size is the tank, what kind of light are you using - watts/lumen etc., ferts?
- since it looks like you setup thw tank recently, I'd say 2-4 weeks.

You can highlight from the start, just make sure to keep water maintenance up, so algae doesnt take over and ofc dont do 18 hour photo periods.
>>
>>2182966
Tank is 90l, I'm using an aquaone plantglo which is supposed to replace 3 24w T5 tubes. And I'm EI dosing. Substrate is non inert.
>>
What are some fish that look good under high lighting?
>>
>>2183053
sssspeaking of plecos. There's one in my community tank (bought by my grandma because obviously..!) where the hell do I take him once he gets too big. He's already like 5 inches and my tanks footprint is pretty small

If I dump him in the local lake, will he cause problems?
>>
>>2183053
whoops sorry, didnt mean to quote

and what fish DOESNT look good under high light?
>>
I've got 10 emerald corys in my 10g. What could I pick up that'd stay in the top area and be friendly to the corys? Don't really want to get another beta since my last one would chase and nip at them before he bailed out and died.
>>
>>2183072
Ten emeralds in a 10g might be a bit crammed, since they are getting quite big. I wouldnt keep them in a smaller volume than 20-30g+

Hatchetfish are pretty surface orientated, so they'd never bother bottom dwellers, or get some tetra or rasbora school, but first, I'd make sure to get a bigger tank or switch to a smaller cory species, I am sure you didn't want to keep them in such a small tank out of ill intention.
>>
>>2183061
Find him a new home by asking online or in a fishstore.

Don't dump him into a lake. Even if you live in a warmer climate, unless you are from south america, I wouldnt introduce them into the wild. They have been invasive in north america for example. You sure don't wanna contribute to local fauna getting outcompeted.
>>
>>2183079
I actually have 6, I said 10 because I was going to pick up 4 more today too. Maybe I wont. I'll look into some of those that you mentioned though.
>>
>>2183082
are there people looking for footlong plecos? My local Petsmart wont take them
>>
>>2183086
Are yours fully grown already? They can grow up to 3-3.5 inches/ 8-9cm, which makes them some of the biggest cory species, so depending on your tank footprint they may get problems.

You could instead try your luck with pandas, salt & pepper and other smaller species in a 10g. 10-15 in a 10g would be easy to pull off.

Maybe observe their growth and behaviour and decide for yourself. Too many big fish in a small tank could also mean hard to manage water conditions.
>>
>>2183089
I meant more real dedicated fish stores, run by people that are not idiots.

If there's none around, check out if there's a local fish club or facebook group from your area.

You could also put an add up on craigslist. Since he may be a sailfin pleco, when you were describing his size, you surely find people with bigger south american themed tanks or african cichlid tanks, that may take him on.
>>
>>2183092
3-3 1/2 inches? Jeez. I thought I had done my research on them but apparently not. I've had three for about a year now and the biggest one is maybe 1 1/2 inches. The other three I got a few months ago. They all must be pretty young still. Or are they not growing due to the tank size?
>>
hello,my fishis btw 2-5 cm (tropical, normal water) wich live food is the best?
>>
>>2183106
Pretty much tank size, mainly length.
>>
File: fish.jpg (282KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
fish.jpg
282KB, 1024x768px
Sorry if I should have Googled more but I'm a bit at a loss right now and really don't want to lose anymore fish.

I was gifted a 20 gallon tank by a family friend who showed me how to cycle my tank (it cycled for 2 weeks or so) using tap water though I want to eventually switch completely to spring water like in my little 2 gallon beta tank because our tap water sucks.

Either way, I've got live plants in my tank and I've been using Stability daily once I got fish in there along with Iron and Plant Feed twice a week.

I got my first fish into the tank on Day 2 of Stability after the tank cycled for two weeks and got 4 Tetra from a family run shop a few towns over. After that I got 3 Mickey Mouse Platty and everything seemed fine until my Tetra got these weird white spots and died but not before they turned on each other and ate each others tails.

I went to Petsmart after that for new fish to replace my dead Tetra and was told that it was normal bullying behavior because of the small amount of Tetra and didn't think too much of it and got 4 more Platty of a different color.

Everything has been fine for a few days but now today I've noticed my Mickey Mouse Platty that were in the tank the same time as the Tetra are now covered in those same spots.

I have no idea what's going on and if my original Tetra were sick and now it's spreading or something in my tank is messed up.

Can anyone tell me at least what this looks like and what can be done about it? I've been following all the instructions I was given about caring for them but right now I'm torn between it either being a sickness from the Tetra or something to do with the tap water since my Betta in another tank has lived for a month now solely on Spring water.

Probably should have tldr'd this but I didn't want to leave out any details that might help. Thanks to anyone who reads the whole thing.
>>
>>2183138
that's ich, a highly infectious and often deadly parasite.

google treatments or ask here, someone can walk you through treating it. It usually involves adding aquarium salt per the manufacturer's directions, and raising the temperature of the tank for a period of time. Make sure you get aquarium salt, not sea salt mix for marine tanks.

it has nothing to do with your tapwater, it came in with some of your fish.
>>
>>2183138
also make sure you don't get a single drop of water from your infected tank in your betta tank or he'll get it too.
>>
>>2183148
>>2183152
Well shit thanks for telling me. I don't know whether it came with my tetras or the algae eater I bought from the same shop but given that the algae eater just died yesterday, I'd say the discount tetra. Not buying from that shop again, that's for sure.

Believe me, I love my betta since he was my first fish so I'll remember to wash my hands if I do anything with the big aquarium before touching his even though most days I do the betta tank first then the big one.

Thank you both so much! I had no idea what it was but I'm looking into treatments asap since I have probably 2-3 sick fish and 5-6 healthy ones I just got the other day I'd rather not lose.

Worst case scenario though and they all die, should I just dump all the water out and give everything in it a good washing to make sure any further infection in future fish doesn't happen? I have live plants but I don't know if they'd be an issue with future contamination from being in the tank with the sick fish.
>>
>>2183159
yeah, plants are a problem.

I think you can get rid of freshwater ich just by running the tank with no fish in it for a couple months. I know that works with saltwater ich.

otherwise, yes. Sterilize everything in the tank and toss the plants and anything else you can't wash with bleach water or peroxide.

you can probably save your fish and clear the tank of ich if you get to treating it though. It's fairly easy to treat and has a pretty high rate of success.
>>
>>2180646
Well just updating all platys but one are now dead, I feel sorry for the lonely girl but I'm not getting more platys until I move. Would Molly's help provide a community for my platy? She hangs out with the honey gourami sometimes but I'm thinking mollies would be better.
>>
>>2183106
Yeah, I seems like it. Your 1yrs should be much bigger now as they are. If you can afford, just get them a 20 or 30gal, long, or at least with a big footprint. Just get a used tank from craigslist or from the dollar per gallon sale on petco. Filters for that size are also affordable. Light can be secondary, since cories don't like light that much, unless you plan to/do have demanding plants.

In a 30 you could easily keep 12 of these guys or even more. Get sand or small grain substrate, driftwood, dead leaves and you got yourself a nice cory habitat.

Other option is finding them a new home and go with a smaller cory species like pandas, habrosus, hastatus, pygmaeus etc- you could also get aspidoras, they are also quite small and look a bit like more slender cories.
>>
>>2183121
Cyclops, bloodworms, daphnia, depending on where he dwells.
>>
>>2183166
Alrght, thanks so much! I've got a page up about it and I'm going to see if Walmart (the only pet related store for 40 minutes) has anything.
>>
>>2183186
you're welcome, and good luck.

salt and heat is the cheapest and easiest method to treat it, and it works. There's lots of other medications out there but most of them are more dangerous than salt and heat. Also most of them will kill snails and shrimp, and will leave a residue in the tank that will keep right on killing snails and shrimp for years to come.
>>
>>2180606
Hey, /aq/

R8 my adopted goldfish. Inherited a big 75 gallon tank with 5 fish in it. 2 fuckhueg canister filters for filtration, so no worries.
>>
>>2183198
>>
>>2183200
Can't really put anything in the tank since they're retarded and smash into everything.
>>
>>2183198
>>2183200
>>2183201
Ridiculously adorable. I especially like the oranda in the last picture with the big alien head. Take good care of them, anon
>>
>>2183198
9/10, looks fun!
>>
File: wut.png (198KB, 1880x862px) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
198KB, 1880x862px
4 livebearers is too much for a 5.2 gallon?Everything I've ever seen says up to 5 of them is ok.
>>
If I wanted to put some guppies and shrimp in a 10 gallon, what kind of shrimp would be comfy?
>>
>>2183239
Aq Advisor isn't perfect, just a useful tool.

>>2183265
meme shrimp
>>
File: a fuckton of shrimp.png (68KB, 1278x632px) Image search: [Google]
a fuckton of shrimp.png
68KB, 1278x632px
>have a 90g tank with a turtle in it and about 10 ghost shrimp for some clean up and a cheap snack if it wants
>felt like fucking around with Aq Advisor to see how much shrimp can I theoretically cram in there without the turtle until it becomes a problem
>mfw
>>
>>2181699

green machine videos get me really mad all his special products and stuff it definitely evoked rage in me and theyre like 50 min long

extremely pretentious
>>
File: goldies.jpg (1MB, 1642x1232px) Image search: [Google]
goldies.jpg
1MB, 1642x1232px
my goldfish tank
>>
>>2183301
How do you deal with them eating the plants?
>>
i just bought an aqueon 40 gal breeder. It doesn't have a brace, and i noticed it bowing out. Is this normal?
>>
>>2183340
normal-ish but not great. if all the seals are good and the bow is less than 1/4 inch it's fine. how bad is the bow?
>>
>>2181699
At least it isn't a Dutch style aquascape.
>>
Debating on what type of cory to get.
i like the look of panda corys but heard they don't do too well. Pygmy corys are another option since they are small so fitting 5 or 6 of them in a tank won't be too difficult (I am at 5 tetras in a 20g at the moment).

I have a planted tank if that matters.
>>
>>2183348
It was pretty noticeable from a distance, I think it's about 1/4. Both back and the front was bowing. I took out 70% of the water out. Should I just build a brace or return the tank?
>>
>>2183363
All corys are amazing! I've heard that pygmies need 10+ schools though, not sure if that's true.

>>2183365
Whatever's easier for you! That sounds like it's bowing pretty bad- I'd just return it unless you've already done work to it.

Aqueon's usually better made than Tetra, so that sucks.
>>
>>2183365
are you sure you didn't get a vivarium or terrarium by mistake?

I'd probably return the thing. that doesn't sound good at all.
>>
>>2183286
That's nothing, you can easily keep much more then that at least 40 per gallon.
>>
what's the most interesting thing I could put in a five gallon hex?

Also, my first and only tank ever was an old cichlid tank where I didnt use a lot of plants, so can I get some plant suggestions?
>>
>>2183330
Goldfish won't eat plants that are "leathery", so most broad stem plants/thick fibrous plants will be safe, as long as you let them set down deep enough roots. If it's too soon, or your substrate is shit, then they can uproot them, thus killing them.
>>
>>2183440
Marimo and java moss are your friends. You can attach them to anything with cotton string (it's biodegradable, so it "goes away" on its own as your plants root)

You can even attach them to plastic mesh and create a carpet from them, that you can pick up in pieces and move whenever you want to redecorate. Which is awesome because you never have to fear destroying your carpet the same way plants with actual stems can be destroyed when the substrate is disturbed.

Also, go check out your local Lowes or other plant selling store. See if they have any dracaena (lucky bamboo is one species, for instance) or potho vines.

Both of these are air breathing plants, that can survive with their roots fully submerged. Which is awesome in your filters, like >>2183301 because they do the best job of removing ammonia and nitrates/nitrites from the water.

Go check out OP post for more information, especially King of DIY, he gives you excellent tutorials on how to make your own super easy and inexpensive filters, there's even one that shows you how to add air breathing plants like pothos vines to your filters.
>>
>>2183440
For the 5gal? Since I figure you may not have sufficient light, try easy plants like anubias nana petite, java fern (both need to be bound to wood or rock), elodea, hygrophila, rotala rotundifolia, javamoss, marimo moss balls etc.

Also Cryptocoryne can often deal with lower light.
>>
>>2183440
Also, as far as fish go, you are pretty much limited to a betta splendens or african dwarf frogs 1-3 if you wanna keep aquatic amphibians.

Otherwise you can keep all kinds of different shrimp and snails in there.
>>
>>2183385
Nope, it's an aquarium. I got it at petco's 1 gal for 1$ sale. I've read online and a lot of people say the 40 gal tank usually bows, especially the kind that I got. I'm just scared its gonna bust and ruin my walls and floors.
>>
>>2182942
Sorry, didnt reply to your post. After googling your lighting, it was hard to find out a lumen/wattage.

My advice to you would be just to keep an eye out. I think everything will grow fine if you observe and act accordingly. Also many plants like the Alternanthera Reineckii may drop some leaves at first, or let some leaves shrink up, when they start to adapt to your water and lighting conditions, but don't get discouraged by that.

It's basically a process called phenoplastic adaptation iirc, which means the plant changes it's form/colour according to the conditions of the environment and sometimes, instead of 'transforming' a leaf, plants would rather just drop the old leaf and grow new ones, that are more fit.

Feel free to keep us updated on the tank. I'm sure you will find help here, if a problem arises.
>>
>>2183722
Just return it. Do you not still have the receipt or something?
>>
>>2180839
My 55 gallon I only used a 50w fucking tetra heater and kept my tank at a constant 78f. Are you guys too stupid to learn how to aquarium?
>>
>>2181181
Throw a feeder fish in the tank
>>
>>2182190
RIP
>>
>>2182639
>minnow
This covers a wide range of fish from 1inch to over a foot long
>>
>>2182806
Dragon goby is found in fresh, brackish, and marine. They don't need brackish. Depends on where the goby was caught. Once they get big though they will get very lazy and chill in one spot until food comes near them
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x1501px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x1501px
r8 the aquarium at my office
>>
>>2183787
white mountain minnows. People keep being dicks about my 6 saying you really can't put jack shit in there, but I see all sorts of people post on fish forums about their 5 gallon white mountain minnows and endlers and tetras, so what gives?
>>
>>2183061
They don't all grow to be 18 inch shit factories. Do you know what kind of pleco it is? Do you have pics?
>>
>>2182639
It usually falls back to the old, "well, you CAN do it, but SHOULD you?" argument. White clouds display really neat behaviors in large groups and large tanks, but that doesn't mean you're hurting them by keeping them in a small tank. As long as you feed them well and keep the water clean (harder in small tanks, but that's up to you), you're doing it right.
>>
I have a male siamese fighting fish that I got for Christmas in 2014. I've done nothing but feed it daily and change it's water twice a month, and it lives in a 1 gallon fishbowl with a little heater on bottom that I was given with the fish.

Don't fish usually die more often than this? I know nothing about maintaining aquarium fish other then feeding and changing water. I have two friends who've had goldfish die within a couple months.

Not that I'm complaining mind you, he's a nice looking fish. Just curious how he seems to be thriving all this time.
>>
>>2183959
often the less you know the better the fish does.

maybe because you're not constantly fucking with it to try and make it's home perfect like others might.

anyways, if it works keep it up. You're doing fine.
>>
>>2183834

noice/10

I want to start a reef fish aquarium when I have the money.
>>
>>2183781
>a 55 gallon is the same as a 1000g aquarium.

Okay, I bet you're heater was constantly running to you moron.
>>
>>2183972
he might be talking about my 60g+40g setup.

>>2183781
1. the average temperature where I live is below freezing.
2. The average temperature in my house is 55F.
3. I always use 2 heaters so I don't lose hundreds of dollars in livestock and rock if one dies.

enjoy calling others stupid, perhaps after a few decades of experience you'll get on my level.
>>
>>2183959

Depends on the fish, I've only had 2 neons die on me. All my recent platy deaths are to do with the fact they've been in an petsmart aquarium for weeks before i bought them, considering they all died within 24 hours, and all my other fish are 100% okay, it's likely the poor condition they were in before hand that fucked them.
>>
>>2183834
the scape is painfully uninspired but perhaps appropriate for a look-through tank.

livestock is healthy and mature.

overall I give it a 7.5/10. I'd probably be more interested in the tech under it than the livestock in it.
>>
>>2183834
That's neato/10 dude, I like it a lot.
>>
HELP, my gf wants into aquariums. she ordered the Fluval Chi (12x10x10 tall 5g) because "aesthetics" thinking it was bigger than it was, but she loves the waterfall thing on top so she wont send it back. shes not interested in bettas at all, she almost bought 5 redtail sharks today because she wanted "cute schooling fish." what "cute schooling fish" can you put in a tall-ish cube-ish 5 gallon? the footprint is so small, rip 10x10

PS pic semi related, what kind of fish is that? Cool as shit.
>>
>>2183959
A lot of fish can live a surprisingly a long time, most die easily from shitty conditions from the owner's part or the petshop
>>
>>2184052
Maybe ember tetras?
>>
>>2184155
Anon's lady friend sounds like a real novice; unless the water there is naturally soft I think ember tetras would have a hard time.

>>2184052
Endlers are always my first instinct. They're pretty, too. You could probably have about 4 or 5.
>>
>>2183959
Bettas can live 6-10 years, so 2 years isn't that incredible. You're doing regular water changes and heating the water which is a lot more than some people do.

Goldfish are filthy fish- that's why people usually recommend 20 gallons per goldfish.

>>2184052
>she almost bought 5 redtail sharks
please keep her away from the fish jesus christ.

check out: http://msjinkzd.com/ for ideas. even if you don't order from her she specializes in teeny things.

you're gonna have a really hard time finding schooling fish that can fit in that tank unless you buy online. some of the nano rasboras would be okay.
>>
>>2184160
endlers aren't schooling but they would be awesome as well. males only tho.
>>
>>2184185
thanks senpai, I think she would like the idea of a dwarf puffer, are they very hard to keep?

>>2184160
texted her a video of some endlers, she thinks they're pretty cute so thanks for the suggestion
>>2184187
oh, I always thought they were I guess. so if they're not schooling, how many should we have?
>>
I'm about to plant all my plants and fill my tank
what should I be doing after that?
>>
>>2184211
cycle, check faq section
>>
File: 2016-08-05 (1).jpg (53KB, 383x512px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-05 (1).jpg
53KB, 383x512px
>>2184189
I've never kept puffers, but I've heard they aren't too difficult. You need a cover and lots of snails to feed them. They like live plants too. Puffers are really fun but maybe not for a beginner?

3-5 endlers would be fine. They'll follow each other around a little, but they don't school together. Hardy little guys too.

Speaking of endlers, I got some hybrids from aquabid today and this female looks really fucked up. There's a tiny white thing sticking out from her side, near the pelvic fin. Doesn't look like an anchor worm but might just be too small to identify, anyone have an idea of what it might be?
>>
File: 1469985918838.jpg (276KB, 948x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1469985918838.jpg
276KB, 948x1280px
I've been wanting to get into planted tanks lately. Wood is more expensive than I thought. Impulsively bought some $15 "driftwood" at petsmart (the shape is really cool). On their website they claim it can be used for terrarium or aquarium usage. It's been soaking for a little over 24 hours now. Water changes as much as I can. Water is getting clearer each time. I just finished boiling it the best I could.

Am I fucked? Is it ever going to sink? Shits floaty right now. But perhaps a little less than it was when I first put it in water. I used to be able to see the water bubbles leaking out but now I don't see any. I might have to call this a loss and just buy some fancy wood that will rob my wallet.
>>
>>2184233
Soak it in a plastic tub or bucket for 2 weeks to a month, make sure to weigh it down so it stays submerged.
>>
>>2184233
If they say it can be used in the aquarium it'll sink... someday. You need to put something on top of it so it stays submerged. If you get tired of waiting, just glue it to something heavy so it stays down.
>>
>>2184238
>2 weeks to a month
Damn, that's quite a time span. I have it soaking in a 5g bucket I use for my 30g tanks water changes. Guess I'll have to take it out when I do my weekly wc's.
>>
>>2184240
Plastic bins are 5 bucks at Walmart, I'm soaking some of my own collected driftwood in it right now. It's worth the investment.
>>
File: 43253245.jpg (31KB, 633x480px) Image search: [Google]
43253245.jpg
31KB, 633x480px
>>2183301
I'm taking care of a smaller tank now to learn but I think once I get a bit more knowledge on fishkeeping I want a nice tank with some orandas and plants, Orandas are probably my favorite fish

Any plants that would fit nice in a 10g tank? Ive been looking at getting marimo balls, Ive got a sand substrate so I'm not sure what can take root easily in that, also would driftwood be good to have along with the plants?
>>
File: 20160806_103712.jpg (282KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
20160806_103712.jpg
282KB, 1024x768px
Ich-anon back with an update! I lost the last of my Mickey Mouse Platty to it and one of my two Dalmatian Molly so I made a quick run to Walmart and got aquarium salt like suggested and my gran told me while I was there that my last Dalmatian (my fave fish in the tank) was badly covered in Ich so I panicked and got the fizzing Jungle Ich cure tablets.. against advice, sorry! My lone algae eater had already died and I don't have snails and I really didn't want to lose my fave fish so I popped two tablets in there and added the aquarium salt for good measure.

Good news though! My latest fish (more Platty) that I bought days ago are showing little to no signs of having Ich and my Dalmatian is still alive and swimming around more and even eating. He's still covered in spots so I did a partial water change and added more aquarium salt like the thing said so I'm hoping this'll be the end of it and he'll survive.

The downside, the Ich tablets stained the corners of the tank blue and I tried scrubbing with a brush and it won't come off. I'm trying to make the best of it by just joking that now I have a marker so I know how far to fill the tank up when I do water changes now.

Anyway, thank you all again for all the help and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this general to learn more.
>>
File: 1375779269308.png (3KB, 186x186px) Image search: [Google]
1375779269308.png
3KB, 186x186px
What is even the point of these pieces of glass crap?

>Have a perfectly functioning (but ugly) co2 system
>Get one of those nice glass u bends and ceramic diffusors.
>Attempt to put co2 line on ubend
>Snaps
>Oh well at least I still have the diffusor
>Attempt to put co2 line on diffusor
>Snaps
>This has happened 3 times

And these were just cheap pieces of crap I paid $5 for. If those would have been $100 ADA pieces I would have likely gone on a killing spree.

FUCK glassware.

I have a big ugly white plastic diffusor from China, but hey at least it's not a fragile piece of crap.
>>
>>2183977
I'm above your level anon.
>>
>>2183972
Nope. Heater only came on a few times a day. House temps were at 70f. It's all put mine next to my canisters intake and worked very well. Some of you put it in random ass spots
>>
>>2183180
I'd recommend a rather than mollies, as they're actually related to platys.
>>
Thinking of gettin an oto. Will just 1 work or should I have a few in a tank? Its a 20g planted.
>>
>>2184554
He will be very skittish by himself. They should be kept in a group like cories
>>
Thinking about getting a mystery snail or 2. If I happen to get a male/female will their offspring take over the tank or if I keep the filter on will it take care of them?
>>
>>2184473
are you spitting on everything to get it lubed?
either way, it sounds like its really hard being you
>>
I think my ghetto cousin stole my fishs' antibiotics. Apparently it looks identical to normal antibiotics and I'm pretty sure he is going to try to sell it to some paranoid old people.
>>
my Malaysian driftwood sends forth a hundred little wood shards everytime i move it around. is this normal?
>>
i have a 5g rcs only tank with no substrate. so the bottom is basically nothing but shrimp poop. parameters are fine otherwise but is this okay?
>>
I keep hearing yes and no answers depending on the site I check so I'm asking here for hopefully more straightforward answers.

Can I house female bettas (2-3 at most) in a 20G tank with platties and mollies? Everywhere I look it's either "Females will attack everything and each other!" or "Yeah sure it's fine." with information that contradicts itself between the two.
Thread posts: 340
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.