[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

programming advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: adf.png (2MB, 1263x947px) Image search: [Google]
adf.png
2MB, 1263x947px
tl;dr help me (stupid kid) figure out what i wanna do???

i wanna program backend without fucking w/ frontend (right now at least) but

dunno exactly what i wanna do

background: several years experience casually working with a modified version

of lua for games. only lang im really fluent in. briefly studied html, css,

js, jquery, php, ruby, python. didn't dive deeply into any aside from

html/css but ok with basic syntax. so i sorta know what im doing and picking

up syntax and most concepts wont be as big of a problem as figuring out what

i wanna do

ive been considering exploring data science but seems like one of those

things that seems appealing at first that i'll grow to dislike later. any

data scientists here that can tell me about the field?

app programming (android) also seems appeling to me but i dunno.

suggestions pls also if this belongs in /adv/ tell me to fuck off and ill go
>>
>>18644910
kill you're self
>>
>>18644927
thats the plan im trying this out first tho
>>
>>18644910

so do you have actual work experience in backend coding or are they pet projects?
>>
>>18644941
the work i did on games have gotten millions of plays and have earned a bit of cash but that's literally kid stuff, i dont have much real world experience
>>
>>18644949

so yeah you have experience. I have worked as a full-stack and as a front end dev so far so I'll give you some ideas on what to do/go for.

1. Don't just stick to backend dev. If you can get front end experience you can market yourself as a full-stack dev and get way more job options/opportunities because you are more flexible.

2. if you do stick with just fleshing out backend then learn common backend languages: php, python, golang, node.js. Those 4 tend to be the ones I see a lot of in the job requirements market for a backend dev.

also are you in college? for most of the ones you're curious on you can take a course and they will tell you whether or not you give a shit about that field.
>>
>>18644985
true, flexibility is important. no, i'm not in college. i just started my senior year of high school derp and i may or may not be going to college
>>
>>18644997

> i just started my senior year of high school derp and i may or may not be going to college

Jesus you have a ways to go then. Go to college for two reasons:

-you will fucking need a Computer Science degree to get anywhere in the job industry. If you are ridiculously good at coding you can get away with not doing college but it is very fucking risky. To put an emphasis to it: all of my programming coworkers over the past 2 company based jobs have had a CS degree OR were interns getting their CS degree. It could depend on what country you're in but I assume since you're on 4chan you are most likely USA born?

-As you take your years of college you will gain internship opportunities and the ability to try shit you didn't know about or wanted to try. There will be retarded courses at the beginning but ultimately your junior and senior years will help you figure out what you are happy with doing.
>>
>>18645046
i'm all for a CS degree but the reason i said may or may not be going to college is financial reasons
>>
>>18645060

>reason i said may or may not be going to college is financial reasons

yeah financials tend to be the killer. I assume you are already looking for financial aid or other support?

a trick you can do if you want to go to a university is go to a community college to knock out the stupid shit for the degree(history, math, biology). and then once you finish those go to a university with a decent computer science degree and then you can focus just on computer science courses. just make sure the college courses will transfer.
>>
>>18645080
also yes i am usa. kentucky, one of the shittiest states. not a redneck thank god. no i havent begun looking for financial support yet, im a depressed nolife and i spend most of my time working on games with lua like i mentioned earlier. or lately, procrastinating. i've heard of people doing things like that w/ community college, i will have to keep that in mind
>>
Programming is just a tool. Figure out what you want to do with that tool.

You mention knowing a bit of """modified Lua""", what I can only assume is scripting for GMod, addons for WoW, Love2D or something along those lines.

Want to do backend, but what in the backend? Server software, kernel stuff, simple CLI shit to ease your day?
>>
File: asd.png (57KB, 352x352px) Image search: [Google]
asd.png
57KB, 352x352px
>>18645239
i was too ashamed to say it's roblox lua. but as far as that goes im decently successful and popular on the platform.

that's the thing, i just don't even know what. all i know is i like to write code and solve problems and at this time i'm pretty sure i'd rather do that than deal with UI/UX stuff in the frontend.

im not particularly interested in anything low level so probably server software or something
>>
>>18645254
Interesting. Honestly don't know much about Roblox myself but if you liked Lua, you should consider sticking to languages similar to it.

Since Lua is a scripting language, front-end development might be what you want. Look into JavaScript as a building block, from there you can still get into server software and other such things with Node.js and (dare I say) Electron.

You could also start or switch to after; Python. This will give you some freedom from a web browser while still being a readable language. Though whitespace matters.

If you need books, some nice /g/uys have this torrent
https://g.sicp.me/books/

Once you get your feet in the water, you can improve your skills by doing daily programming challenges on faggit
Or just browse >>>/g/dpt
>>
File: Frank-Zappa-resized.jpg (88KB, 419x495px) Image search: [Google]
Frank-Zappa-resized.jpg
88KB, 419x495px
>>18645107
Go to the Kentucky Community and Technical College website.
>kctcs.edu
>Find the CC nearest to you.
>Take the bullshit classes like English and History at a reduced price.
>These credits transfer to any college in the state because of a state law requiring them to accept the credits
>???
>profit
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.