[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I feel very depressed, mostly due to extreme loneliness in a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3742.jpg (14KB, 276x183px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3742.jpg
14KB, 276x183px
I feel very depressed, mostly due to extreme loneliness in a new city. It's developed over the year and a half I've lived here.

My only real good friend in town is a man I work with who has become my clear father figure. He's been very nurturing and loving and we hang out outside work. I'm 23 and he's 40.

This month I tried telling him I'm depressed and I need support. I feel like he's pulling away as a result, and I feel like a burden. That makes it much much worse. I think he feels frustrated that, after a couple conversations about it, I'm not getting better.

How do I handle this?
>>
Essentially, how do I navigate my relationship with my father figure when I feel like my depression makes me needy and a burden to him but I need him now most of all

I don't want to push him away
>>
>>18300751
Get a gf.
>>18293702

Being lonely doesnt automatically mean depression. Cheers.
>>
>>18300751

You could try going to meetups and make new friends. I think it'll make things worse if you withdraw further. Get out more
>>
>>18300751
Of course he's pulling away dude, he's not a fucking therapist or a miracle worker. You're asking too much of him. I've been on both sides of the coin here (being depressed, and trying to help someone with depression) and I can tell you that it's mentally draining and stressful as shit. You're coming at him with too much on your plate. I highly doubt he's experienced or trained to help you in the way you're seeking either. Look elsewhere, man. There's a limit to how much you can ask of someone. That's a big burden you're asking of him. Good luck.
>>
Tune out of negative frequencies, don't give into negative depressing thoughts and really meditate on positive thoughts.

Listen to Joe rogan if you want a father figure.
listen to the chris ryan podcast if you want a father figure.
>>
>>18301446
I get that but I think I've in some ways been his therapist-- I've talked him through a lot and always been there for him when he struggled. That's a part of my personality

The hard part is I know I'm being a burden to him and I know I'm putting too much on him, but I feel like what I need most is his support now. I want that most
>>
Suck his cock
>>
>>18301595
Bump
>>
When people are depressed, how do they reach out for support without bringing others down?
>>
>>18302203
With you butt
>>
Have sex with him.

A little man-to-man loving, nothing gay about that.
>>
>>18302838

Can't. everyone avoids you like the plague. So fix it yourself or find a shrink.
>>
>>18303307
How does one initiate sex with a father figure mentor?
>>
Look move to a big city to get you some dick ok. If he won't let you someone else will
>>
>>18303504
Being that you're big male and historically hetero
>>
>>18303329
What happened to being there for people?
>>
>>18300751

a big problem here is that when you unload about your depression to someone it kinda comes with the assumption that they can do something about it, and e ven if thats not your intent they still feel like its now their job to do something about it.

but once you get to that age you notice that most people who are depressed are perpetually depressed. that you can't help them and trying to be there for someone who is depressed is like trying to be there for a parapalegic.... being there wont fix them. perhaps nothing will.

so when you unload that onto someone it makes them feel responsible, like they are going to have to have this conversation every week for the rest of their lives, and they can't do anything and no matter what they say you'll feel bad and they'll feel like they made it worse.

don't want to push him away? then enjoy him. if you are depressed the best thing you can do for your self and your relationships is to go out and enjoy the time you spend with your people. if you can't fake it, don't go.

but if the person doesn't bring you any relief, any short term happiness that will allow you to ignore the depressed for the night, then you need therapy, not a mentor.

if you're sad, go spend time with him, but make it a fun experience, if not for him then for your self. its hard to be depressed with a beer in one hand and a dave and busters card in another. or whatever you two do for fun.

I feel ya though. my mentor-boss-daddyfigure means the world to me to. id be horrified if i pushed him away. i dont think i could though.
>>
>>18303847
>I feel ya though. my mentor-boss-daddyfigure means the world to me to. id be horrified if i pushed him away. i dont think i could though.

Glad you get it dude. Tell me about your relationship. How do you navigate it? How do you show him how much he means to you and how do you ask him for support when it's hard?
>>
>>18303877

im 24, hes 76, been working for him for about 3 years. just got back from a business trip with him, we were staying at the hilton over looking a baseball field and would just eat some of the best food while watching the game as we talked over our teenage exploits and compared them across the generations. it was a pretty fun trip.

i can't really say i do anything to navigate it. hes just always there for me in ways no one else is and seriously has my back.
>>
>>18303886
That's awesome.

Do you make an effort to give back to him?
>>
>>18303887

i do. mostly by just running his business, before i got here he was losing money, now hes profitable. but there's little things i do to show him i care.

for instance last year from april 9th to may 4th i had a brai nstem injury that stopped me from working and he took care of me, kept paying me, took me to doctor appointments etc. we had no idea when let alone if it would end and he jusdt took care of me.

on may 4th my brain stem shifted back into place, which is awesome cuz im a functional human again, so on may4th of this year, i bought him one of his favorite cupcakes and gave it to him to say thank you. small gesture but it is the thought that counts. he seemed very touched.
>>
>>18303893
Awesome!
>>
>>18303897

hopefully my initial advice helps. dont bring your depression to your boss. he is your only reprieve from depression, so enjoy your time with him.
>>
>>18303898
Thanks. Appreciate that
>>
Does anyone else find themselves begging for support when drepressed?
>>
>>18304065
That is serious
>>
>>18303504
>>18303558

bump
>>
>>18300751
Never get emotionally close to people you work with. Friendly is fine, but once you cross that line you're fucked. I wouldn't even hangout with anyone outside of work.
>>
>>18304431
Why?
>>
>>18300751
>>18300751
Suck the coworker daddy dick
>>
>>18305021
How do I make that happen?
>>
>>18305370
Bump
>>
>>18305021
Slurp his daddy ass too
>>
you already got advice... multiple times. but you keep saying 'bump'.

you can't have your cake and eat it too unfortunately, and in this case your boss is the cake and eating it too is telling him about how depressed you are.

hes not interested.

again, ENJOY THE TIME YOU SPEND WITH HIM INSTEAD OF TALKING ABOUT DEPRESSION.

there is no other answer. do not 'bump'.
>>
>>18306530
Sorry
>>
>>18305370
Rape him
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.