[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Physical jobs/Blue collar jobs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: physical-movement4.jpg (55KB, 596x596px) Image search: [Google]
physical-movement4.jpg
55KB, 596x596px
I'm currently working in Data Entry in Southern California, and I'm looking to get out of it because of the dangers of constant sitting being bad for you in the long term. Not to mention I was recently diagnosed as having prediabetes.

What are good, relatively well-paying, physical movement jobs?

I'm looking for something that ISN'T food service, retail, and grocery clerk jobs.
>>
>>18218537
Wrong question.

You should have asked on how to counter sitting job. And the answer is easy:
Walk to job/home on foot (1 hour / 5 km or more), go swim at least 3 tines per week, go to gym and most importantly
>prediabetes
>>>/fit/ read sticky and stop being fat.
>>
>>18218537
Work in a shipping wharehouse, mine is for a medical supply company and we have motorised pallet jacks we drive up and down the isles picking the orders for people. Its easy, decent pay, keeps you moving and isn't so much a nothing less job like store clerk. For instance the suppies we ship out save people's lives everyday so there is a sense of pride with the work you do. Plus your not surrounded by a lot of assholes all day, usually crews are10 or less people in the entire building
>>
>>18218854
Oh plus if you don't like that particular place learning ltl ups, and FedEx methods is a usable skill that you can take over to other shipping centers
>>
>>18218839
Mean, but exercise isn't enough to counter a 8 hour sitting job. For those, you have to stand up every 30 minutes or so and move around.

>>18218854
>>18218865
FexEx sounds interesting. How much does it pay?
>>
>>18219554
FedEx or UPS are good paying jobs with great benefits. I would definitely look into those.

If you like, apply at the post office. You'll most likely be working graveyard shift at first, some people like it while others hate it.

Me personally, I work in a fabrication company as a shear operator cutting sheet metal to be made into parts. I grew up in a fabrication environment so it's all I really know. It can suck sometimes but it has its benefits.
>>
>>18219554
>Mean, but exercise isn't enough to counter a 8 hour sitting job

Yes, it is. Sitting around for 8 hours isn't bad as long as you exercise regularly. It has been demonised for the people who get up, eat shit food, drive to work, sit for hours, eat more shit food, sit for the rest of the work day, drive home, eat more shit food, watch tv for hours, go to bed and repeat the whole thing over and over for years.
>>
>>18218537
Security. Some skilled tradesman jobs (welder, electrcian, etc).
>>
>>18219669
> Sitting around for 8 hours isn't bad as long as you exercise regularly.
Even with regular exercise, it can still be bad for you, just not as much.
The goal is to get up every 20-30 minutes and stand/walk around for 5-8 minutes or so.
>>
>>18219682
>Security
This, if you are fine with being bored security is pretty chill, driving around at night checking places out can be bretty comfy.
>>
I'm a merchandiser for Coca Cola. While I understand that you don't want a job in retail, consider the following; at coca-cola (distribution) there is lota of headroom. There are many jobs that you can get to after 5 or so years of service that are outside the stores. You can even go into sales where all you do is count product and order for the store/ralk managers up on displays. Retail ism't that bad depending on which end of the sales floor you're on. Backroom/stocking jobs can be a lot of fun during the holidays when everyone's working together. I'm about 2.5 years in and make 50k+ because I'm a hard worker (60+ hrs/wk). If you want some exercize there is no better job to have. Just don't go cheap on your workboots.

There is a lot of stress related to volume around the holidays, but when you get done and think about all of the money your company made because you got those displays built nicely and filled up, all of those peoples jobs that depend on that work, it's very rewarding. Plus you're part of the biggest brand in the world. I love my job.
>>
Maybe volunteer for distributor work to help out those poor wagies downstairs counting files? :^) 12 hours on your feet is killer though, especially moving pallets of stuff around.

Seriously though, don't expect super high pay for alot of physical jobs unless it has to do with business. I knew a guy who did >>18219858
when I worked retail and it payed hiim pretty well and he did get out alot.

I personally would recommend warehouse work, or maybe a job at docking facility. People working at ports make decent money or you could just do local shit with fedex and get paid like 14-5 an hour.
>>
File: 1477068930674.jpg (141KB, 716x960px) Image search: [Google]
1477068930674.jpg
141KB, 716x960px
I work in a bakery that is in retail. 40+ hours a week and is a union job. I am on my feet all day (the guy that said don't skimp on work boots is right) and the pay is good. Top scale in my company is $23 an hour and it isn't rocket science. I was trained on the job and worked with people who went to school for it. In my line of work we hire starting at $15 and you end up with the bitch work and graveyard shifts. If you can tolerate it and last you move up in pay scale (which does not take long) and title and make decent money. Management pays even better but IMO isn't worth it (current personal opinion because I am one) but it has its perks. Currently I am looking for 2 people for my shop but my company is in general looking for 15 people. You would be surprised on how many people who are interested but don't make it a week.

I don't even like to help people get into this line of work anymore because they tend to think being a baker isn't hard work but find out it's more physical than they thought.

If only you were in MN seeking a job and willing to do it. We tend to hire anyone will a heartbeat and most don't last more then a week.
>>
>>18218537
You know what else is bad for for you, standing all Rhee time. Make a balance. You don't have to give up your career for that. Go for a walk every hour.
>>
>>18220042
>data entry
>career
The place I work at is dead end. It pays 17 an hour so pay is alright. I don't mind doing physocal work if it pays 15 an hour.
>>
>>18218537
>dangers of constant sitting being bad for you in the long term.
The more physical jobs are usually more dangerous, and in a much quicker time frame
>>
Honestly i wish the roles were reversed, im at a distribution center. Pays ok, 15hr. But, it is f'in dead end. Just work out man, run/walk type shit. Get a dog it helps. The fricking hustle at my job is unreal. Stress 24/7. Im wiped 5 days a week, im daydreamin of a desk job. And manual labor jobs.....eh most of em just need bodies the actual brain work isnt required. Here is the real joke, even that being said a lot of simple stupid shit that gets fubar. Not to mention what happens to your "workers". Pay stays same, hours stay same but workload keeps getting added on. Sure the shifts fly by but....its bullshit. Dont do it, stay in the land of "worries about sitting too much". You idiot.
>>
>>18220676
What kind of dangers?
>>
>>18220800
desk jobs present a risk that labor workers don't have to worry.
WHat I hvae been recently doing is getting up every 30 minutes from my desk to walk around to go to the restroom to just stand and stretch or go up or down stairs for 5 or so minutes
During my breaks and lunch I walk (I get two 15 min breaks, and my lunch is 30 minutes).
I eat my lunch in like 5 or so minutes, so I'm already walking around a lot these days.
I've lost a good amount of weight in a short period of time since my diagnosis.
I've been walking and I've been eating healthier.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.