[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Medical Issues

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: filthy_casuals.jpg (78KB, 636x636px) Image search: [Google]
filthy_casuals.jpg
78KB, 636x636px
I'm hoping a doctor or med student or someone similar will read this and give me a hand. Before I get going, I have gone to a doctor over this, who is convinced that it's anxiety. He prescribed me some Metoprolol, which 2.5 weeks later, has had no noticeable effect. I am a 26 year old, overweight (6'8", 345lb) male.

These symptoms started about a week and a half into February. They have been continually bothering me since that point, generally getting worse at night. They come into play regardless of if I am trying to get to sleep or not, but have been ruining my sleep schedule.

1) Difficulty breathing. This one comes in particularly hard when trying to fall asleep. There is no tightness of the throat, but rather a feeling of needing more air every breath. Most of the time throughout the day, I feel as if I am "manually breathing."

2) Sharp, stabbing pains in various places around my torso. Some of these are chronic, such as in the general region of both of my pectoral muscles. Some come suddenly and fade over the course of 30m to 1h. As an example, I had a sharp pain directly under my left ribcage with no particular trigger (was reclining in a chair). I got up and stretched to attempt to alleviate the pain with no luck. 20m later, after I had sat back down, the pain faded.

3) Numbness around the nose and face. My nose constantly feels like it's just been punched. It's numb and tingles strangely. Sometimes this numbness spreads around to my right eye socket specifically, which creates the strange sensation of my vision feeling blurred but, when I cover my left eye, it being perfectly clear.

4) Numbness and swelling of the neck/throat. Occasionally, my neck will visibly swell and the skin on my neck will become dulled to feeling. If I pinch myself, I barely feel it there.

I have some other symptoms such as general exhaustion and soreness but I'm pretty sure they're more related to the above preventing me from getting more than 4 hours of sleep a night.
>>
Sounds like you need a new doctor. Metoprolol is mainly used for heart palpitations or to prevent further damage after a heart attack.

The breathing does sound like it's anxiety related, since there's no constriction of the throat taking place. A "lack of air" feeling is textbook anxiety symptoms.

However, you might be experiencing anxiety stemming from your other symptoms listed, which are most likely some sort of actual physical issue. When you experience the torso pain, are there any physical signs (redness, bruising) in the vicinity?
>>
>>18196139
you're just fucking fat
and you have fat person problems
lose weight
>>
>>18196293

I was given propranolol for anxiety. Doctors hand out beta blockers if your symptoms are physical because lowering your heart rate can stop the rest happening and they're relatively harmless. I couldn't tolerate them at all though.
>>
>>18196296
Thanks for the tip, but I've actually lost about 65 pounds over the past year and I doubt "fat person problems" would start cropping up when I'm not 410+ and completely sedentary anymore.

>>18196293
Sounds like decent logic on the doctor's part, but all the Metoprolol's been doing is giving me dry mouth on top of everything else. When I called him about this, he suggested tea.
>>
>>18196139
Change doctor and start unfattening yourself.

>>>/fit/ read sticky, count calories and lose 1~2lb per week.
It will improve your life you fat fuck!
>>
>>18196293
Metoprolol is also commonly prescribed (atleast here) for mild anxiety. It is a medicine typically used by students who get anxious for/during their exams, though that's not a reason for a doctor to precribe this medicine

@ OP
The symptoms, as you call them, which I would not call them, because that would imply disease, to me, do not fit any kind of somatic (=physical) illness (and I know many). Obviously, I am talking about typical presentation of disease. However, I also know a lot of atypical presentations of disease. And still, your complaints do not make me think of any.
This does not make you crazy, you have these complaints and I cannot take that away. But what I can try to take away are your worries about these complaints. Obviously you have these worries, because you take the time to post it on this forum.
They do not fit any kind of disease. But worrying excessively can indeed maintain these complaints. Therefore, though it sounds like a big deal, anxiety might play a role in here. Of course, anxiety would be noticable in more parts of your daily life.
Here is the need for selfreflection and self observation. How do you see yourself as a person in life? Do you find yourself mulling over things small or big? Are you anxious for the future? Do you plan everything ahead/think about things ahead of time, excessively?
This is for you to think about, and perhaps finding these answers is the start of getting rid of these complaints.
>>
File: remain_calm.gif (2MB, 400x274px) Image search: [Google]
remain_calm.gif
2MB, 400x274px
OP here, turns out it's thyroid cancer. Who knew?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.