[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Health advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Hot-Yoga-Pants-Trainer.jpg (129KB, 1023x1179px) Image search: [Google]
Hot-Yoga-Pants-Trainer.jpg
129KB, 1023x1179px
>be me
>decent metabolism and parents taught me to eat right which I do 50% of the time
>hit mid-twenties and slowly start gaining weight

I need to get ahead of this before it's too late but I have no knowledge or experience. Any /fit/ here who can give advice?

What I want:
>lose 5-10 lbs
>increase strength and endurance for occasions when it will be useful, like surviving the dawning race war or if I pick up rock climbing
>knowledge and will to lead a healthy, sustainable lifestyle

What I don't want:
>lose +10 lbs on an unhealthy, unsustainable crash diet
>too much definition/too little fat because I'm butch enough without that

What I want from you:
>advice on techniques to get started
>advice on how to stay motivated
>any advice that you deem relevant

Bonus:
>things I can do without a gym because I'm awkward in public
>I do have free gym access currently so I'll take gym advice too

About eight months ago I cut waaaaay back on the drinking, which let me finally quit smoking, about six months ago. My lungs cleared right up and now the next logical step is fitness. I am a complete novice though. Google search brought me only websites trying to sell me things. Please, give me some candid, hopefully seasoned advice on my goals and whether or not I can achieve them. I am femanon, if that helps.
>>
>>>/fit/
>>
>>18170563
From the admittedly few times i have lurked /fit/, they don't do women and also have no advice threads as specific as what I'm looking for. Do you think posting this there is still a good idea?
>>
>>18170547
Being fit is 80% diet

(Eat only healthy foods you phsyically cook yourself)

20% is working out, find a workout plan, body weight only if you must, but make sure you do cardio daily and do certain muscle groups per day for strength training. That is legs one day, back another, arms another, core another day, etc... Dont workout every body part every day, but do cardio every day you workout before and after strength training. Find a workout schedule (easily found online for free) that works for you. Stretch.

Most of all, exercise wont provide shit unless you dedicate to permanently changing your diet in a healthy direction.

ANY diet that is not meant to be permanent is FAKE AND BULLSHIT and will not help you lose weight in the long term.
>>
Body weight exercises, yoga, or actually pick up a routine if you want more definition - ie, visible abs, bigger arms, or a bigger butt. You don't need equipment to exercise and lose weight (just do cardio whatever), but it helps for definition/building strength
>>
>>18170547
>>advice on how to stay motivated

self-help books, friends or a therapist.
>>
>>18170547
I got you anon
I've spent my life living with Kinesiology majors. I don't know shit but I learned a lot from eating and working out with these nerds. They got me fit as hell but then I moved out and then...yeaaa...

>advice inc

First of all, eating healthy is very important. Its going to determine what happens when you exercise. I know you said you eat healthy already but idk what that means and im not sure what you understand about nutrition.

>Sugars, fats and salt are to be avoided
Hey, we are all human and its dumb as fuck to suddenly decide you are going to cut ALL bad food out but make sure you are keeping tabs on this.
>Drink so much fucking water. Like so much. SO MUCH WATER.
>Eat smaller meals, but more often. (Instead of 3 big ass meals, eat 5-6 smaller meals)
Alcohol causes bloating
>Beer is like drinking bread
>Shots are like drinking sugar
>Wine is like drinking a shitload of sugar
>Eat breakfast
>Significantly reduce your consumption of processed food.
The best way to do this is to
>COOK

It will save you money if you are smart about it. We have the internet. You can find a billion ways to make anything. I think there is actually a site where you enter what you have and it shows you meals you can make.

Next up, working out....

>cardio
Run. It doesn't even have to be that much. But each time, do it for a little longer. When I was overweight and I started working out I would run 1 lap, then 1.5 laps the next day, etc.

>Home workouts
do some. Same thing as running. do a few push ups, squats, and planks everyday then do more tomorrow.

working out increases your overall metabolic rate so you will burn more calories doing nothing if you work out consistently.

Remember, its not about doing a shitload very quickly. Its about how consistently you keep whatever you are doing up and improve it. Being healthy isnt something you achieve through a one time sacrifice. You have to change your habits.
>>
>>18170547
The easiest way to be in perfect shape is.
1. Do an active job where you are standing and moving most of the day.
2. Eat low cal high fiber foods. Bean burritos, hard boiled eggs. Cherios and milk, ect.
3. Run 5 miles every day or two. It might take you a month or two to build up to this. You can mix it up with other exercises like high intensity spin or stair climbing, but running is the best.
>>
Personally I don't like running at all but I love going on my bike. I go all the time with my friends. The biggest tip I can give you is try to find out what exercise you like doing best such as swimming, running, cycling, hiking, etc... and do that as much as you can. I go on my bike everyday because I live in L.A. so cycling helps me avoid traffic and keeps me in shape. It's a win/win
>>
First step, don't drink any calories. Like, at all. No juice, no soda, no gatorade, whatever. Unsweetened coffee and tea are fine. If you drink anything alcoholic that's fairly caloric (beer etc) then treat that like dessert -- a beer is like a little slice of cake. Get in that mindset and act accordingly.

As the anon above said, stop eating out (if friends drag you out just get coffee etc to be sociable). Make your own food. Go to the grocery store and buy meats, veggies, bread, cheese, seasonings, fruit. Don't worry if you "don't really know how to cook" (you literally just take foods you want to eat and chuck them in a pan together and prod them around until they're edible), and don't worry about consciously dieting; just buy what you want so long as you're buying the ingredients to MAKE meals, not premade meals or snacks. For your purposes right now that's enough. Don't keep snack foods around the house. If/when you get a craving for something sweet or salty or fatty, go to the kitchen and MAKE something that scratches that itch.

This can be difficult if you live in the suburbs but think to yourself, do I have any errands where I could be walking instead of driving? You don't have to be a fiend about it, just try to get in the habit of using your legs a little more. And doing even just 15 mins of bodyweight exercises (squats, push ups, crunches, whatever) every other day will help somewhat if you're not really doing anything right now.

If you get into this and decide you want to start actively WORKING OUT instead of just taking reasonable steps to improve your health, there's plenty of resources out there, but if you do those 3 things I can promise you'll lose 5-10 lbs (probably more) and feel better in general. More importantly, it's all pretty easy stuff (if it feels like a struggle you are doing something wrong -- try cooking simpler meals or something) and that means it'll be sustainable indefinitely.
>>
>>18170583
So... I eat healthy 80% of the time then binge like a bear preparing for hibernation the other 20%. Close...?

Let's say I gain the self control. I counted calories for a couple months and it was very interesting. I did high protein as much as possible, which was tough while trying to cut fat. Do you think I was doing it right during that time?

Also, instead of the "etc" like I'm a normal human, could you continue your list possibly of muscle groups that I should practice with? Please pretend that I know nothing about them. My brief venture into Google brought me a good deal of conflicting advice.
>>
You all are being very helpful. I'm sorry I can't be more specific right now. Thanks for the healthy lifestyle advice.
>>
>>18170642
Don't count calories. If you feel like you're having to exercise a lot of self-control, you are doing it wrong. Eat til you're not hungry anymore. Don't worry about "cutting fat" so long as the fat that you eat comes from, like ... not crap. Actual meat that you cooked yourself, olive oil, butter, cheese, fish, eggs, yoghurt, nuts. Not hot pockets and pizza.

It shouldn't feel like a struggle.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.