[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wage slavery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1489969008525.jpg (193KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1489969008525.jpg
193KB, 1536x2048px
Did a thread last time asking on whether or not to quit my £8-an-hour-moving-boxes job where they've cut overtime continuously while keeping the same workload. Seems like everytime the beautiful people from head office come in, our overtime gets smaller.
Quick recap:
>shit job, shit pay, shit hours
>want to just walk out
>have 2 months in savings
>a 2.2 maths degree from 2011
>corporate progression is a completely different chain to retail progression in the same company

Responses were mixed but leaned towards keep job while looking for another one.

I've come to a compromise and have taken my holidays early, and was wondering how would I get into the IT industry since it SEEMS like it's one of the few areas that relies mainly on skill/merit? What would be a good place to start?

(To me it seems that city-type careers have a social component to them, I mean, all the city workers I see are fucking drunk every night. What the fuck are they doing that they can come in barely sober and not get fired?)
>>
>>18165726
Bump.
>>
>>>/biz/
>>
>>18165726

As someone in corporate that's worked on the front lines before, it's really corporate's job to limit overtime and bring in additional employees if overtime is a recurring thing, or identify efficiencies that can be made to stop it from happening.

But yeah, look for something else if you can, while you have this job. With your limited resources at the moment in terms of training, it wouldn't be a great idea to walk out in frustration unless things REALLY get overwhelming.

As far as city workers go, you learn to handle your liquor. You hit happy hour for a couple of hours, go home, sleep it off, and repeat. In my office, it's a well known fact that everyone is basically a problem drinker and that as long as you're coming in and taking care of your shit, it's acceptable. Not like we're talking to customers or anything.

I took tequila shots at 1 PM in the afternoon with my boss and a vendor in her office on a Wednesday once.
>>
>>18166085
>I took tequila shots at 1 PM in the afternoon with my boss and a vendor in her office on a Wednesday once.

I hate you already. Answer me this, why is it that most of them seem like good looking people, like they look like a business variant of the hipsters?

I mean, what happened to the autistic brainboxes with not so great looks I met throughout my education?
>>
Oh hi, I remember you. Glad you decided to try and get out of that dead-end situation.

There are a few graduate recruiters that accept a 2.2. The civil service fast stream being a good example, and they don't care about how long ago you did your degree.

I think you need to get a good idea of what you would ideally like to do, before finding ways of getting experience/skills/the ability to persuade employers that you're good enough for the job.

You mentioned IT -- what were you thinking, specifically? Web developer? Programmer? IT support desk? Data management?
>>
>>18166658
One of the asian dudes I work with suggested something called networking, tells me since I have a maths background I should look into it. Tells me that it has good pay progression and being a social butterfly is not requirement.
>>
>>18166935
*a requirement.
>>
Bump.

Just need a little help here guys.
>>
Quit your shit job when you have another one lined up.
>>
>>18168349
Kinda asking for pointers in how to enter the IT sector, certifications, books, computer languages, etc.
>>
>>18165726
If you want to get on the same footing as people who got firsts/2:1's then do a masters and work harder than before.

If you cant afford it in the UK then do a TESOL course and teach english part time while you do a masters abroad.
>>
>>18169723
>masters

Will it still cost the same as before the fee increase, or will I have to pay the current fees?

I still have £17k student debt.
>>
>>18169343
Try to find a helpdesk job doing tech support, an a+ certification should be enough to get you one.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.