[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>live with gf and roommate in huge 2 bedroom condo >originally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: 1469570960169.png (565KB, 598x543px) Image search: [Google]
1469570960169.png
565KB, 598x543px
>live with gf and roommate in huge 2 bedroom condo
>originally moved in with roommate, only him and I on lease signed in April
>gf moved in in July
>she stays in my room 95% of the time, only comes downstairs to go to the kitchen, take my dog out to the backyard, or leave the house to do stuff/work
>doesn't leave dishes, cleans up the kitchen after both myself and my roommate
>parks in guest parking, leaving driveway for my roommate and myself
>doesn't complain about my roommate smoking pot and leaving bags of weed on the kitchen table every day
>is quiet and not argumentative
>has parents over like once every other month and no one else
>split utilities 3 ways
>I pay $475 for rent, roommate pays $475 for rent
>go to pay rent today, roommate has only payed $317, which is 1/3 of rent

I predict a huge argument between he and myself when he gets home today.

I fell in love with this girl, she comes from a broken crowded home, works a dogshit job and is just trying to go through school. I know she doesn't have the money to split rent 3 ways which is why I only charge her utilities. Even if she did, I'm the one sharing a room/bathroom with her. Roommate has his own master bedroom/bathroom and porch. What's a good way to de-escalate this situation before it even starts? If he tries to pull the lease card about not letting overnight guests more than 1 week a month, I can threaten him with the constant pot he's smoking and I know he'll back down, but I don't want it to come to that as we've been friends for like 14 years. He just gets so fucking petty over things.
>>
>>17814061
Sounds like splitting the rent three ways is pretty fair go be honest.
>>
>>17814061
Splitting the rent three ways is fair. The fact that you're posting about this and saying he's petty shows that you're going to start the argument most likely. There's no way for you to be in the right here because you simply aren't. That's actually incredibly selfish to move your girl friend in simply because of your pity for her too.
>>
>>17814061
Wait he isn't paying more rent for having the master bedroom?

Also, what you guys have sounds fair, but splitting rent 3 ways is also fair. It's pretty silly that he didn't talk with you about this though.

If you aren't willing on splitting rent, prepare to find a new place with just you and your gf.
>>
>>17814077
>>17814110
Explain how it's fair.

Utilities are split 3 ways because we all use them. She's not using his room or the rest of the place the majority of the time.

The condo is not small at all, shit's fucking gigantic so there's literally nothing she's doing that can really be inconveniencing him other than occasionally using half the stove while he's cooking. Half the time he doesn't even know either of us are home when we come out of my room.

Using a stove and washer/dryer doesn't warrant fucking $158 a month. I don't bitch about constantly smelling pot and seeing it out all the time.

I'm not going to start an argument, I'm going to calmly ask him to pay the rest of the rent. He gets petty about stupid shit, so this is something I see him getting petty about despite him never bringing it up before.
>>
>>17814121
Think of a similar scenario. You get a cab to go somewhere, and your friend realizes he is heading the same way so he asks to ride with you. When you arrive, do you split the bill or do you pay the whole thing?

On one hand, you were going there already and he didn't inconvenience you at all to ride with you, so why should he have to pay (your argument)? On the other hand he just got a free ride that you completely paid for so he should pitch in (his argument).

If she is benefiting from his paying rent and allowing her to stay, she should pitch in.
>>
>>17814121
By that logic, you could put an ad up for roommates, get ten of them and jam them all in your room, paying $200 each, and still tell your roommate he's paying half the rent.

Three people in the house = rent split three ways. Its not his fault you want your girlfriend there, or that she's poor.
>>
>>17814120
Nope. $475 for the room with the bathroom inside it and a screened in porch on the second floor. My room is pretty large, but it's still smaller and the bathroom is across the hall.

Hell we even have a fucking guest bathroom downstairs so even when his friends are over shes not bothering them.

He essentially commandeered the living room by moving in his huge pool table from his parents place. It's too heavy to move so we can't even rearrange the place to fit a couch/tv, but I'm in my room 80% of the time anyway so I compromised.

When she first moved in he said she had to pay utilities. He didn't say jack shit about rent, I agreed and its been fine for like 5 months until today. I'm 100% not going to split the rent just simply out of the principle of the way he tried to pull this shit out of nowhere.

>>17814140
I'd pay the whole fare desu, I was going to in the first place.
>>
>>17814121
>>17814140
I should add that apartments do often charge more if there are more tenants. This is not unheard of.
>>
>>17814121
My rationalization won't make any difference to you. To you and your girlfriend that's a fair deal, to your room mate and the majority of the world that's bullshit.
>>17814120
Also this. You should've already talked about this before she moved in.
>>17814150
Laughed as a read this. Yeah, you're totally not going to start the argument. That's why you've got it typed out nice and neat on 4chan.
>>
>>17814121

It's fair because she probably has her name on the least.

But yeah, just sit down with him AND her and just calmly explain the situation and ask him to CALMLY explain why he feels that she should pay rent.

Idealy, YOU should be the one paying 2/3 of the rent anywho because you moved in someone who can't put up her own share.
>>
>>17814150
Okay so you need to sit down and discuss this with him. Offer to split the rent 3 ways if he will pay more for having the master bedroom perhaps, idk. Seems a bit late to argue about that though.

Also, normally everyone would expect the friends to split the cab fare. I guess you don't feel that way, but that's just what is socially acceptable, so generally people will side with your roommate on this one.
>>
>>17814121
>I'm going to calmly ask him to pay the rest of the rent.
Actually, you stated in the OP that you're prepared to threaten him to get your way.

If your girlfriend plans to live with you for the duration of the lease, your roommate isn't being unreasonable to think she should be paying into it as well. What's unreasonable is failing to discuss this with both you and your girlfriend before decided to short his already agreed upon rent obligation.

tl;dr three of you need to sit down like adults and come to an agreement.
>>
You have to try to screw him into paying up. Go in all apologetic, say you feel sorry to realize that he felt inconvenienced by her presence. But she's from this background and trying really hard to get out onto her feet so it feels kind of unfair to charge her full rent given the current rate of her using the condo. You know she'll never get anywhere saving money if she has to pay rent, so you'll be looking for a different place then short term. But before going there, is there anything that they could still try to work out for a compromise that would make everyone reasonably happy?

See if he has any decent suggestions. Maybe she can cook for everyone or clean, do stuff to contribute in other ways than financially. And there's the chance that he feels too dickish to say that he wants her to pay a full share after your explanation. But if he tells you no, I do think you should look for another place in a few months. After all, he's your roommate, it's half his place, no way you can barge all over what he wants out of this without (understandable) animosity.
>>
>>17814061
>I know she doesn't have the money to split rent 3 ways
OK so then you can pay her share
>>
>>17814155
Yes, to hear other opinions and get his perspective before we talk. We did already talk about this back in June before she moved in. He specified he has no problem as long as she pays utilities. Nigga did not mention rent once, and after 5 months of going about with no problems I assumed everything was fine.

That's the point of an advice board. To hear advice.

>>17814158
Her name is not on the lease. There's only 3 months left of it before we move in with my sister while we save up money to buy a house of our own.

>>17814164
I said I'd pull the weed card if he pulls the lease card.
>>
>>17814121
You're a fucking idiot. Everyone should pay their equal share. Fucking redditor piece of shit burn in hell.
>>
>>17814172
>>>/tv/
>>
>>17814177
Go back to Red.dit to whine about how people are being "unfair" even though you did everything wrong.
>>
>>17814181
>>>/tv/
>>
>>17814171
Ah. Well if there's only 3 months left you have a few options. First you could just pay the extra $450 that her share would cost you over the 3 month period to keep the peace.

Secondly you could try to compromise and split the difference.

Or thirdly, you can threaten him like earlier. Seems strange of him to demand her rent out of the blue, and behind your back, and with only 3 months left.
>>
>>17814171
Like I said, you've prepared to threaten him to get your way. You literally said "I can threaten him." You say that he is the petty one and that you don't want an argument, but you are not willing to compromise even with every response in your thread agreeing that your roommate has a reasonable expectation.

You are not righteous. Get that through your skull.
>>
>>17814185
>>>/lgbt/
>>>/cm/
>>>/hm/

Fuck off you fucking faggot.
>>
>>17814193
I'm not compromising because of the underhanded way he's trying to ask for the rent, not necessarily because he wants to split it. I've known his personality for many many years, he's dogmatic about things and this is one thing I'm putting my foot down for. He doesn't talk to me ahead of time, just does shit that he knows I get mad about and starts yelling at me when I try to calmly talk to him about it. It's fucking disrespectful so I start yelling back, then we just shut eachother out for like a week. Any time we argue he tries to pick out some tiny little detail and ignores the larger picture like some faggot online pointing out typos as a way to prove their point. I'm just looking for the best way to speak to him about it without getting to the point that ruins our friendship.

We've had a lot less tension since she moved in since I'm generally in a better mood, she cleans up after his messes in the kitchen (which was the #1 cause of our fights originally) and we both have a little bit more money from utilities being split.

>>17814196
>>>/tv/
>>
If she's paying utilities and also keeping shit clean, I don't think she should have to pay. The cleaning is enough. If you can't compromise, have her stop cleaning up after him and keep on him to clean it himself or something. Or just tell him to fuck off, and that it's staying as it has been from the beginning. But then you lose a friend. On the bright side, he sounds like a piece of shit so you could say it's a win win. Don't back down. Don't let him act like a little bitch and get his way with his passive aggressive bullshit.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.