[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NEET/shut-in improvement thread!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: neetimproving.jpg (146KB, 564x281px) Image search: [Google]
neetimproving.jpg
146KB, 564x281px
Welcome to the NEET/shut-in improvement thread!

>old thread
>>17787072

>Discord
https://discord.gg/AAhJ6eR

Join us for help on improving your life and becoming more social or just helping people with these things! All are welcome, as long as you follow the rules.

>What do I do in the threads?
Ask people for advice on your NEET-related/social problems, or join our discord group to do the same.

>I need help but I'm not a NEET, can I join your server?
Absolutely. Anyone is free to join our group if they feel like it could help them improve, or if they want to help others.

>I joined, now what?
Post in #introductions and one of our staff members will give you permission to post in the other channels.

NEET IMPROVEMENT RULES

=======================================

1. Preventing your suicide is not our responsibility. If you need someone to talk you out of hurting yourself and/or others, please call a suicide hotline.
2. No doxxing or spamming. If you post any personal information of another user without their consent, you will be banned. Spamming will result in temporary loss of text privileges.
3. Please try to genuinely improve your lot in life. We're not here to circlejerk about how horrible our lives are. We'll all slip up or need to vent sometimes, but overall you should try to be positive and move upwards.
4. The #support channel is for advice only. Check #rules for a description of all other channels and rules.

=======================================

Self-help resources:
http://pastebin.com/BSZDiAKd

Suicide hotlines:
US: http://www.suicide.org/suicide-hotlines.html
International: http://www.suicide.org/international-suicide-hotlines.html

Text based suicide hotlines:
US: http://www.crisistextline.org/get-help-now/
UK: http://www.callhelpline.org.uk/TextService.asp
Canada: http://www.thelifelinecanada.ca/
>>
I'm heading to essentially community college this spring, after two years of NEETing.

I feel sick to my stomach, mostly because I'm terrified of flunking the courses. I'm only taking about four classes, but biology and algebra seem like too much. I just want to knock them out of the way to take another science class and finish credits, but I feel incredibly unprepared.
>>
My new job was commission only. They lied on the description and tried to lie to my face. I walked out and now I'm unemployed again. Welfare is purposely incompetent as well. I may have to live on the street. Even Mcdonald's is rejecting my applications. I'm not even socially retarded man, fuck this.
>>
>>17804408
just sell drugs, its the only job constantly on demand
>>
>>17804429
I wish I had the connections. I'm honestly considering going to jail to avoid homelessness. I can't even find cheap rent. Even if I did I can't afford the bond and other bullshit.
>>
>>17804265
As someone who returned to college this fall semester after 5 years of nothing I can't stress enough how important it is to study and focus and apply a lot of time towards ALL of your courses
Its not about doing things fast because its easy, really apply yourself and learn the material.
I fucked up and now will spend the next semester off school. I took 3 online courses and 1 course on campus. Really fucked up 2/4 but managed to drop one before getting a bad grade.
>>
>>17804265
Spend hours on each topic. 1 hour on each topic 5-6 days a week at least.
Also change your courses if its more challenging than you want. I rushed into all challenging courses to get them out of the way, but next fall I will try to space required courses out more.
You should have til just after the first week to drop and add courses.
>>
Newfag to this board, been a NEET for 4 years. Not really the comfy kind who does things, the kind who was driven to this point by crippling anxiety and waited too long to ask for help. It's caused me medical and psychological problems that scare me enough to try and do SOMETHING to improve but I'm so goddamned conditioned to this and my willpower is so shit I have no idea what to do.

Parents are top tier procrastinators so they would never kick my ass into gear. I'm not depressed, just full of phobia and general fear, not to mention some hardcore bouts of nihilism.

I told myself I knew this could happen and that I accepted the risks so I blame no one but myself, I just don't have any clue how to start from 0. Hopefully my blog fits this thread because I damn sure need advice.
>>
>>17804917
Just do something. Get a job or education. Its not fun and its a struggle, but know that you can do it. You will be confident after living through forcing yourself through enough situations.
You don't want to be a neet. I pulled myself out and while life is very taxing and stressful, its also rewarding. It balances out or only gets better.
>>
Well I guess I'm already mostly a shut-in, although I do have some friends and have the occasional normie night out which usually results in me getting very depressed.

I've recently tried online dating and it crushed my self-esteem. I have now decided to go official Monk Mode for about 4-6 months. I will cut off all social interaction (won't be hard) and just focus entirely on learning a new (employable) skillset and hitting the gym. I will try my hardest to eradicate thoughts of getting a girlfriend or getting suicidal about still living with my parents in my 30s.

Probably all a massive cope and I'll fall to pieces within a week or so. Got to keep on pushing forward though. Its either that or an exit bag
>>
>>17804936
online dating sucks. Its all fat and black girls locally for me.
Why hit the gym or get a skillset when you can join the labor work force?
>>
>>17804961

>Why hit the gym or get a skillset when you can join the labor work force?

You just answered the question for me. Wage slavery is my absolute last resort. It is less favourable than suicide. I must retain hope in a semi-fulfilling, semi-well paid career or I think I will literally go insane

And as for online dating. The biggest scam around. Unless you are Chad obviously. So many time wasters and validation seekers its unreal. Not one woman has even viewed my profile in over a week. I'm over it, just praying for a miracle and that maybe if I get some muscles and shit I might stand a chance irl. Highly unlikely as I'm a well presented sperglord
>>
>>17804968
Why not work at a warehouse? You get benefits, a work out and money and get to make friends
Get a driving job, they pay well and let you be on your own for a long time.
I personally think labor union benefits outweigh any higher wages. I make good wages and its almost free to go to college or see my dentist, eye dr, etc.
I dont see online dating as a scam, but only dumb people do it.
>>
>>17804408
Avoid relying on places like McDonald's. When people are struggling to find employment dead end jobs at fast food and stores like Walmart are the first places people think to apply to. That makes it fairly competitive compared to most other jobs in a similar tier. Apply to all sorts of places. Talk to your family and friends and see if they know anyone hiring. Take a look at your resume and see if anything should be updated. If it comes to it, move back in with your parents or couch surf with friends/family for a while. In the mean time, to keep living expenses down get food at soup kitchens/food banks and look around to see if there's anything you could sell for a bit of extra money.

>>17804265
Use your time off until you get to college to brush up on anything important you might have forgotten from high school and improving confidence/social skills/learning good (studying) habits. Or whatever else it is you might be struggling with.

>>17804917
Look in the pastebin, while not quite as numerous as the resources about depression, we have a lot of information about anxiety as well. Do you have low self-esteem as well? Oftentimes anxiety and self-esteem issues go hand in hand. Getselfhelp is a great resource in particular for anxiety and if you have issues with self-esteem, I recommend the activities to help you improve as well. You should also start practicing going outside and making polite eye contact with people you pass, and small talk when appropriate. Once you feel more at ease, the other Anon is right. You should focus on finding a skill or (if you feel you can handle it) a job/education so you can find something to take pride in and fill your time so your anxieties can't creep in as easily and work towards finishing your improvement.
>>
>>17805057
The problem is that it's not really triggered by that, I don't mind talking to people irl, it just kinda happens when it's not certain settings I'm comfortable with, but thanks, I'll check out the things you recommended.
>>
>>17805058
So more general anxiety as opposed to social? What kinds of things make you anxious or cause panic/anxiety attacks if you get those.

Keep a log of the different things that invoke fear in you, and start thinking about ways to reduce that fear when you're in those settings before it gets too severe, as well as ways to expose yourself to that fear in very small quantities so that you can begin to reassure yourself that it's not actually dangerous. Also check out the activities to improve in the pastebin, there's a section on dealing with irrational fears and doubts that you might find helpful.
>>
>>17805076
It started with emetophobia, dunno where I got it but any time there was the threat of some stomach shit it fucking terrified me, like the fear of death level of terrified, so eventually I didn't want to be anywhere but home for fear of getting sick in an environment that I'm not comfortable/familiar with. So I guess even though that's a small bit less chronic now it still subconsiously effects me. There's probably many other factors but that's the one my cold-stricken brain can think of right now.
>>
>>17804936
>I will cut off all social interaction
That's not a smart thing to do Anon. It's going to be very hard after 4-6mo to get back in touch with your friends, they'll be less likely to invite you out to places again, and you'll likely feel too apprehensive and down to take initiative yourself. Socializing is extremely important for good mental health. Don't throw your friends by the wayside, they're one of your most valuable lifelines and one of the best shots at recovering you have.
> I will try my hardest to eradicate thoughts of getting a girlfriend or getting suicidal about still living with my parents in my 30s.
This genuinely isn't healthy at all. You're trying to eradicate your hope of improving and trying to stop feeling shitty about that. Instead, you should be focusing on improving and eradicating your fears that you can't. Everyone has setbacks along the way, or particularly low points. But you can't let yourself give up because of them.

>>17805083
Oh wow, I actually know someone who used to have that, not nearly as badly as you from the sounds of it though.
I think the best thing for you would be working on reminding yourself your fears are irrational with the information in the google doc I mentioned. You could also join the server or keep us posted in the thread if you want help with other fears or need help facing them along the way.
>>
>>17805091
I just might, though how far gone I am isn't really stated well in this thread so it might be a slow process, however I feel like shit right now to the point even typing sucks so I'm going to just lurk for a bit.
>>
>>17805098
That's okay, any progress is still progress. Good luck improving Anon.
>>
>>17805091

I have been friends with my friends for a long, long time (I'm in my 30s). They are not going anywhere. Truth be told, I barely see them these days anyway as they are all getting married etc. I just feel I need to remove myself completely from the pressure of being confronted by what I don't have compared to them. I need to really focus on me and me alone

And its not about me eradicating any hope of EVER getting a gf etc. Its about putting that to one side for a period of time so that I can focus on my priorities such as improving career chances and moving out. These things will help to massively reduce my insecurity and give me a better chance of meeting someone in future (although I am shy as fuck with hardly any social life so...)
>>
>>17805229
Put like that, it sounds a lot better. Check out our pastebin and consider looking into professional help. I think both of those could really be of use to you.
>>
What would you say is a good first time job for a neet with no experience?
>>
>>17805564
Something part time, it can be hard to balance everything with work when you're first reenterting the work force. So getting your feet wet with part time work helps out.

As for beyond that, that really depends on what your issues are and what helps you with them. Some people want a social job to practice socializing, for others might not feel ready for such a big step right away. Some people like mindless work with their hands where they can space out, and others want to have work that's more mentally stimulating.

Figure out your needs and what's most likely to help you grow without being too much right off the bat. Apply for everything you could realistically handle, but if you get the option, choose one of those jobs first.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.