[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

To any introverts who overcame crippling anxiety: how did you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Neku Cosplay.jpg (251KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
Neku Cosplay.jpg
251KB, 500x750px
To any introverts who overcame crippling anxiety: how did you do it? If you couldn't, how do you mask it?

Despite trying more consciously to put myself out there and even switching from a job that requires no communication to a customer service oriented one, I seem to be regressing. I now feel paranoid and uncomfortable talking about even bland subjects with family and friends despite having no rational reason for discomfort (most are reasonably trustworthy and supportive).
>>
Surprisingly this post is super germane today...

Made a fucking LOOOOONG post chain in another thread about how I did exactly that (Be warned: It's a legit 10 posts long)

>>17592512

The TL;DR of it (there's one in that thread too), i took baby steps and forced myself to be in positions that would make me grow as a person, even when shit sucked and I was at my wits end.
>>
>>17593269
I didn't have crippling anxiety but I did have a really bad case of PTSD, I was ambushed and attacked by a group of dudes that I didn't get along with in college. When I reported the crime to the cops, they didn't do shit because they thought it was just a bunch of kids rough housing, so I also gained an extreme hatred for cops. On top of all this I refused to tell my parents because they would never let me forget it. So I bottled it all up for a long while. Eventually I didn't want to explain why I didn't want to go to college so I learned the times the schools and halls are the least crowded, walked the long routes to avoid large crowds, took internet classes. If I needed to speak to someone I asked or said what I needed to and left, if the want to talk I listened. I eventually saw a phych but she was kinda shitty to honest, but it felt better to tell someone about what happened. In time, things got better, I got work, I got my masters and even keep in touch with a couple of friends. I don't have many gf's but beggars and choosers.
>>
If you see somebody who could do with some help, give it to them, you will interact with people and feel good after you've done it.
>>
Working in a managerial position
>>
>>17593269
Not Trolling, this works for me.
>>
Face your fears.
>>
Faking it
>>
File: 1473381217688.jpg (19KB, 450x337px) Image search: [Google]
1473381217688.jpg
19KB, 450x337px
>>17593269

>To any introverts who overcame crippling anxiety: how did you do it?

A lot of therapy and a steadfast dedication to doing things out of your comfort zone.

The reason people with anxiety have such a hard time getting better is because exposure therapy is a huge part of healing your fractured stress regulation system. My therapist said if you're afraid of flying, get on a plane, if you're afraid of crowds, go to a concert, if you're afraid of talking to people go to speed dating or take a speech class. Regulating anxiety is a muscle, if you want it to get stronger you have to work it out. There is no miracle cure to just waking up one day and knowing how to do things that terrified you before.

That's the kind of things you have to do to get better but its a double edged sword because its the exact thing you're terrified to do.

Seek therapy. Seriously. It changed my life and my only regret is that I waited so long to do it. I carry a tab of xanax on me at all times but truthfully I don't really need it anymore because just knowing I have it on me just in case helps my anxiety. I'm not interested in getting hooked on benzos either.

Medication is a great momentary release but its not the cure to anxiety. Behavioral therapy and changing the way you think is. Its really fucking hard but its the only way.

Good luck, anon.
>>
>>17593269
I forced myself to get out of my comfort zone because it's either do or die. I had to get into social situations in order to be employed. What other choice do I have? The other motivator is that I hate my former friend who's an extremely lazy and obnoxious asshole. I vowed to become the antithesis of of him after realizing he was dragging me down.
>>
>>17593269
Fake it til you make it.

This is something you will have to learn how to judge yourself with experience.

Limit your exposure to short bursts you can survive relatively unharmed. Alcohol helps me extend it; pregame if you have to and leave early. Give yourself plenty of downtime on the other side of it to recharge. Don't push yourself beyond your limits when you have important shit to do right after and can't have your mind re-centered.
>>
>>17594255
to add: strike a balance between outright avoidance of certain situations and exposing yourself just enough to say "you were there" without reking yourself

You'll figure out where that is over time and repeated successes/failures.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.