[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Brother with Asbergers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

I'm 22 and my brother is 20 with "high functioning autism". It was never diagnosed but he shows autist signs. He used to do very well in high school but then he got a laptop and it's been downhill ever since. He can't perform basic hygiene, and many other tasks. We go to uni together and every day I have to remind him to brush his teeth, change his clothes, wear deodorant, etc. I feel like every moment he spends off the computer is just a means to an end to when he'll get back on his computer. My parents have been totally useless in changing his habits, and any punishment I've tried so far (taking computer for a day, restricting his time on) has failed. When I'm not around, he goes back into his habits of only caring about the computer. I don't know what to do, because this is a huge burden on my life; having to look after someone who just doesn't care about their health. Should I take the computer indefinitely? Nothing seems to work. Sorry for seeming frantic, I just dropped him off and I'm all riled up
>>
https://poloniex.com/exchange
>>>/biz/

If he refuses to do crypto trading then yes, definitely take away his laptop if he doesn't do anything productive and optimistic with it.
God the day somebody becomes more sociable because they spend their time on a computer is the day America takes down the FED.

Out of curiosity what college/profession are you majoring in?
>>
>>17550062
I don't think he's a wiz with numbers like Rainman.
And I'm majoring in chemistry, with the hopes of going to pharm school or going back to the army as an officer as a last resort. He's majoring in art, but I don't think he'll ever work someday. College is just something to keep him occupied and help him make friends I hope. I've sort of accepted I'll be taking care of him for the rest of our lives
>>
>>17550052
>He's majoring in art
Ok, no problem. Tell him to get his ass on Patreon. Draw some lewd art, draw and write a comic book.
Tell him to also learn some graphical animation for general purposes, both 2D and 3D.
>>
>>17550080
Perhaps. I see where you're going with this anon, but I'm also concerned about his hygiene and self sufficiency. Know anyone with similar tendencies? Is therapy any good in dealing with this?
>>
>>17550052
>He used to do very well in high school but then he got a laptop
So you know what to do. Get rid of the laptop.

Eventually he'll be able to make his own choices, but at that point there'll be nothing you can do anyway. Just try to get him through college so he can get a decent job. After that, it's his life to fuck up if he wants. Some people only learn the hard way.
I'd suggest just letting him learn now, but better to help him finish uni first.

>He's majoring in art
What the fuck? How far in is he? Unless he can do >>17550080 and can actually support himself that way, try to persuade him somehow to switch majors.
Anything in the engineering department or computer science is best for high-functioning autists, those jobs require minimal interpersonal or other life skills, provide them with regular routines or flexible schedules as needed (comp sci jobs can be extremely flexible, work from home, etc) and they pay reliably.

And how's his art, what does he like to do? Draw, sculpt, paint, animate?

>>17550107
Therapy probably will help since it sounds like autism isn't his only problem. There's some therapists that specialize in life skills training for people like him (as well as people who've been in mental hospitals/prisons their whole lives, longtime vets struggling to adapt, etc).
>>
You should get him diagnosed first.

My opinion is you can't make people change. You can help them if they decide to though.

Best of luck!
>>
Actually diagnosed assburger here.

Why is he your responsibility?
>>
>>17550129
>>17550861
Agree with both.

Where are your parents? Why are you the only one who cares?
Why all these years your parents never cared to take him to a doctor to make a diagnosis?
You should all be informed about what exactly he has and how you can help him.
Punishment to a person with a health problem isn't the solution
>>
File: 1457524111869.jpg (60KB, 498x750px) Image search: [Google]
1457524111869.jpg
60KB, 498x750px
>>17550052
I'm in the same situation as your brother, frankly. I am careless about my hygiene (to an extent) when I am on vacation. What you wrote sounds like something straight off of my sister's head, to be honest.

I am overly attached to the computer myself, and it makes me feel horrible. I spent the whole day today loathing my existence because it's the sunniest it has ever been and I feel shackled (I really do) to my chair.

I spend the majority of my day shitposting here on /int/. If I hadn't gotten in an argument with my sister, which lead to my monitor being accidentally broken by her, I'd probably be playing something and feeling somewhat "sated". Right now I feel like the sperg in Dostoyevsky's Notes from the Underground. I also missed the dinner I had arranged with my neighbour, an elderly woman.

I don't know what I can tell you that might help your case. I think I've exhausted my sister's willingness to actively try helping me. In the end, I think it's something that's up to your brother to face. I have these issues but I acknowledge them, and after having lived through the most miserable day of my life today, I am going to pick myself up. I guess what it took was not for me to be without my computer, but for me to miss my "fix" (games).

I don't have autism or aspergers as far as I know, but yeah..

Take what you will from my post. I wish you and your brother good luck!
>>
>>17551428
>and after having lived through the most miserable day of my life today, I am going to pick myself up.
see you tomorrow.
>>
>>17551481
Nah, man. I know when I've flipped, and today I did. There are eye-opening moments in my life that really fuel me with the desire to change. It also happenned a few years ago when I was a fat fuck. One day, I just combusted with resolve.
>>
>>17551518
Well best of luck man. Hopefully something like that happens to me, but I doubt it.
>>
Hey sorry guys been busy all day. Thanks for all of the advice, I'll take those recommendations.
Can't reply to everyone, I'm on my phone and I work really early tomorrow morning. Thanks again
>>
Get him some blue hair dye and some classic sega games.
It's a speedy way to get him out and about.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.