[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If my goal is to live/work abroad, and make a lot of money, is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

If my goal is to live/work abroad, and make a lot of money, is majoring in something beside STEM (Computer Science), Business (Accounting or Economics) to be specific, would that be a terrible idea?
>>
>>17534919
damn he could do way better than her
>>
>>17534921
why?
>>17534926
lolwut
>>
>>17534919
My dad told me this story. In the 1980s the word was that the only way to get a job was to major in business, and so everyone and his sister became business majors. By the early 1990s the world was up to its knees in unemployed business majors.

That is going to happen to STEM majors any day now.
>>
>>17535004

http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d15/tables/dt15_322.10.asp?current=yes

And when you graduate college (assuming you haven't if you've never noticed this), note the droves of business majors and education majors among the graduates.

Business majors have always had a tough time finding entry level jobs since at least the 80s. It's also a party degree. I wouldn't count on STEM majors having many problems and if they do, the rest of the private sector is more than likely suffering as well.
>>
>>>/biz/
>>
>>17535004
>>17535053
It's already happened to stem majors. Anyone who majored in physics, chem, bio, math (with no cs), or any other hard science is having an awful time getting a job with only a bachelor's.
>>
File: 1473003047005.jpg (149KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1473003047005.jpg
149KB, 1920x1080px
>>17534919
Live/work abroad? Certainly possible, but it depends less on the particular major and more specifically on what you do. The key is to master a foreign language, preferably do a study abroad year/internship, make local contacts, and see where that takes you

But make a lot of money as well? Far more complicated, ~especially~ if you want to do it while young. The only ones who generally pull that off are a) finance types who choose to work at a foreign office (Hong Kong is a popular choice amongst my own friends), b) business consultants types who sometimes get lucky with foreign clients, c) enterprising CS guys who enjoy being able to work from wherever with an Internet connection (though they inevitably head back to the West in due time, or d) young entrepreneurs who get lucky doing something different.

If you don't mind waiting until your older, then far more options open up.

Personally, I went with a Political Science-ish route. Most of my peers are still back in the States doing whatever, while I went outside the box straight out of college and got a politically-related journal editing job in the Balkans (so basically Europanized third world countries).

I'm paid utter dogshit by US standards (I think below minimum wage), but by local standards I'm a good deal above the national average. That, combined with absurdly low food prices and the like, means I can carve out a nice upper-middle class existence for awhile and even explore the region by car or such. And whenever I go back, it helps me stand out from most of the competition (this generally applies in all fields; employers express interest in people who went abroad to do something different).

My advice OP: money will come in time if you work hard enough. Youth, however, is temporary. So might as well maximize your usage of it and be adventurous.
>>
>>17534919
If your main goal is to work abroad then you need to take a step back and ask yourself why. You sound like a kid that has a romanticized view of life in other countries. Not gonna go off on a tangent about it yet. Why specifically do you want to live abroad?
>>
>>17535547
Because I live in a corrupt third-world shit hole. I want a better life for myself.
>>
>>17535634
My mistake then, I assumed wrong.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.