[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Overlord

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 画像 323.jpg (274KB, 1112x1600px) Image search: [Google]
画像 323.jpg
274KB, 1112x1600px
I was typing up a text dump in response to a few Anons, but last thread archived before I finished

>>150762619
>>150767869
>>150768538

Not that a Dry Lich really applies here, but y'all are forgetting about Walker in the Wastes too, from Sandstorm. But as far as translating the Overlord class into 3.5/PF, we're out of luck. The thing about YGG is that the Overlord class was only reachable by having certain racial and job classes leveled up, but in 3.5 that isn't as big of a thing. Ainz started out as a skeleton who became a lich and then an Overlord later on, judging from his character sheet and what has been said about it in the story. The only way to have a skeleton be conscious in 3.5 and be able to then gain EXP and levels would be an Awakened Undead from the spell Awaken Undead in Libris Mortis, but the problem there is that the maximum possible Int score of Awakened Undead is 10, which would make it impossible for it to be a caster. Next comes the lich, and as we've discussed here in the thread there are a few ways of becoming a lich through classes, but the most likely and effective would probably just to be an 11th level arcane caster and go through the normal ritual. Now, from there you could look into something known as Advanced Undead, which are discussed in both the Monster Manual and Libris Mortis, which are undead who have hung around for a long amount of time and grown into more powerful versions of their typical "race" of undead. This is done by advancing the creature's HD(Hit Dice) by leveling up their racial levels, in this case the Undead racial class. The problems here are that A.) a lich does not normally have any Undead racial levels, but they for sure could still be added even if it makes the character a little awkward, B.) that putting levels into Undead racial levels would in no way shape or form benefit spellcasting.

(1/2)
>>
File: 1474530901266.jpg (709KB, 1080x800px) Image search: [Google]
1474530901266.jpg
709KB, 1080x800px
>>150797695
(continued)

Now, Libris Mortis also talks about DM/GM discretion on this point, stating something along the lines of making the Undead creature's supernatural racial abilities stronger, or adding new ones that fit with the theme of the original creature. This then not only returns to being a matter of DM discretion without rules to fully back it up, but also is not really in keeping with what I feel the level progressions Ainz went through. In Forgotten Realms, there is also the template Evolved Undead that can be added to an undead and is lore-wise the same as Advanced Undead, but all it does is add a few neat abilities at the cost of a +1 level adjustment.

Personally, in my time spent thinking about it my best guess of how to replicate an Ainz character at the end of leveling up a character would be an arcane caster somewhere between levels 30 and 35 that became a lich somewhere around level 15 or so (just so that it wasn't as likely that he would die from the ritual) and advanced to being a Demi-Lich (like Acererak) without a divinity score. If I had to put a finger on the levels, I'd try to keep it simple and just say 25 levels wizard (or Dread Necromancer) and then 5 levels into a DM modified Arhcmage presitge that changed out some of the High Magic choices to be more in line with being a necromancer based around the Save-or-Die spells. The problem with the classes is that, as a generalization, necromancers are meant to be divine casters or divine/arcane hybrids to fully be rocking the death effects and undead pumping, but I think just having a bunch of levels into wizard with a feat/spell list focus on necromancy spells also fits with Ainz's role as the Wildcard.

I'm kinda just thinking aloud here, and trying to put down a bunch of stuff I've thought about in the past, so sorry if this all seems a little jumbled or cluttered and nonsensical.
>>
While you're at it, what's the best min maxed Angel build?
>>
>>150797695
>/tg/
>opening a thread just for this shit
>>
>>150800154

Honestly, I haven't done nearly the same amount of research on the good-aligned outsiders as I have on undead or evil-aligned outsiders, but I can already tell you a huge problem: the required racial HD and level adjustments of outsiders are just so high that it's hard to think of any sort of practical build for them. I'll do a bit of research tonight, though, and talk to a friend of mine who is more into making characters out of monster races to see if we could piece anything together by tomorrow for you

But returning to Overlord, besides the recap movies in 3-4 months and the next volume in 9 months, what do we have to look forward to? I keep hearing mention of an OVA, but I thought those people were just mislabeling the movies as OVAs. Are there also OVAs coming out in addition to the movies that I wasn't aware of?
>>
>>150800154

O god no, we are gonna get the edgiest character ever!
>>
>>150797695
>>150797786
I appreciate all your insights. What I gather from them is that D&D doesn't want you to have fun playing as a skeleton.
>>
>>150803060
I wonder if there's a truly a competitive minmax Lich or Skeleton build in Yggdrasil?
>>
>>150803060

Yes. D&D REALLY didn't want people playing as skeletons for some odd reason
>>
>>150803119
It's probably a possibility. Ainz was more invested in roleplaying a necromancer, so a different specialization may lend itself to being overpowered. It's hard to imagine undead classes being better suited to anything else statswise, though.
>>
>>150803179
I wish Maruyama had made a tabletop game. Discrimination against Heteromorph players is so real that you pretty much can't play a Heteromorph.
>>
>>150803201
Probably some sort of Skeleton Swordsman with similar classes as Shalltear?
>>
>>150803293
Sounds like fun. He is becoming pretty good as Momon.
>>
>>150803179
>>150803060
It's sort of because that if they scaled like PCs, the monsters of DnD would be Tomb of Horrors-tier deadly/unfair. Unlike with games like Dark Souls, in DnD, your player character is the one that's overpowered compared to mostly everything else that's not some form of boss, even more so in groups.
>>
How does this 5e skeleton homebrew strike you, lads? http://imgur.com/a/U1rZW
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.