[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game Dev Thread: /v/ Is Always Better!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 515
Thread images: 96

Let's have one of these things, shall we?
>>
no lol
>>
>made an unity game
>want to compile it for mac
>don't have a mac
>compile it anyway
>upload
>macfags report that it doesn't work

apparently there are permissions problems or something, anybody else ever tried to build for mac from windows with unity?
>>
>>>/vg/128651221
>>
>>324051951
>going to /vg/
GetALoadOfThisFaggot.jpg
>>
>>324051921

In the build settings for Mac, make sure it is set to Universal. For whatever reason Universal isn't the default setting for Mac and Linux compiling.
>>
>>324052373
I did set it to universal, then I rared the resulting whatever.app folder up but nobody can run it
>>
>6. "Generals"—long-term, recurring threads about a specific game—should be posted in /vg/.
>>
File: chill.png (2MB, 1226x831px)
chill.png
2MB, 1226x831px
>>
>>324053676
Neat! What kinda game is it gonna be?
>>
>>324053828
Thank god for archives, saved an old post I made before.

The goal at the moment is to make a survival mod where the player will attempt to survive by ensuring he does not mess up, survives the coming war and it's battles. An ai will attack the player while he attempts to establish a working economy, allies and foes alike will try to establish themselves in the region too.

At the moment I have systems in place for

-Needs of the people (food, cloths and enjoyment)
-Farms (custom plants, growth time, harvest time and plant time)
-Storehouse (where buildings deliver and request materials, workers have a carry capacity - jobs get split up by it, a food version, a queue system)
-Refinery (where materials gets refined into other materials)
-Gatherers (gathers materials from nearby resources, gather location can be changed)
-Towers (Attacks nearby enemies, ammunition can be changed on a tower by tower basis)
-Basic Enemy AI (a basic AI that seeks out the player and attacks his units/buildings)

I've got some other systems in place but they're kinda minor. There are a lot of things I still wanna implement, a couple of examples are a weather system (rain that causes all growing plants not to die, too much and the crops die. Snow that changes the way you play both with the economy but also how you wage war), Eco system for all living things (so what you do can have an affect on other things, cutting down to much of the forest might scare away the deer)
>>
>tfw one punch man game
>>
File: 1371038352455.jpg (105KB, 936x536px)
1371038352455.jpg
105KB, 936x536px
>>324054081
>artsy pixel noodle limbs
>>
This thing anon made yesterday
>-- I WANT TO MAKE GAMES --

>I want to make 2D games, but I'm too lazy to learn coding
Game Maker - http://www.yoyogames.com/studio
Construct 2 - https://www.scirra.com/construct2

>I want to make 2D games, I don't mind coding
>Engines
Unity - https://unity3d.com/
Game Maker - http://www.yoyogames.com/studio
>Frameworks
LÖVE - https://www.love2d.org/
Phaser - http://phaser.io/
SFML - http://www.sfml-dev.org/
LibGDX - https://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/

>I want to make 3D games, but I'm too lazy to learn coding
Go cry in a corner

>I want to make 3D games, I don't mind coding
>Engines
Unity - https://unity3d.com/
>Frameworks
LibGDX - https://libgdx.badlogicgames.com/

Tutorials: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Tutorial+first+game

---------------
>>
>>324054930
http://lazyfoo.net/tutorials/SDL/
>>
>>324053676
That looks almost like a modern age of empires or something
>>
>>324055513
Is that a good thing or bad? I love AoE 1 & 2.
>>
tfw I've spent more than a year looking for artfags to do basic pixel art for a small meme game and they always volunteer and then never get on skype again
>>
>>324050851
So I have a problem. Unity always crashes when I try to load a library. But without it, I can't do the basic tutorials because they always use shortcuts that are already in the library. Why do I have this problem?
>>
>>324055838
What library?
>>
So how do I capture a video of my game I'm working on and then convert it to a webm or gif or something?
>>
>>324056238
OBS, screen capture.
convert video to gif or webm.
>>
>>324056238
OBS.
>>
>>324056320
>>324056382

thanks guys
>>
>>324054475
We've had this argument before
>>
These threads are struggling to get in gear today. I guess all game makers go out on Fridays.
>>
>>324057847
Maybe they're all working.
>>
i've been working with rpgmaker for a long time, but now i want to move to some other engine. sadly i have a very simplistic way of thinking, so is there a easy to use engine?
>>
>>324058197
They weren't yesterday.
>>324058327
There's not much you can do more without learning how to code. You can give Unity a try and see if their way of easing you into learning how to code in parallel with the rest of the system can work for you.
Most people who think they have a "simplistic way of thinking" never really tried. The basics of programming are not like super advanced maths: everyone can learn how to do it with a bit of effort.
>>
Posting progress is kind of boring when your entire game is placeholder graphics
>>
>>324058692
Yeah, I can sympathise.
>>
>>324058590
i guess i could look for a unity tutorial video somewhere and give it a shot
>>
What happened to unity? I'd never seen a good game for it, let alone one that even looked remotely pretty, until last year and now there's some pretty nice shit coming out.
>>324052546
>a specific game
>>
File: image.jpg (121KB, 979x551px)
image.jpg
121KB, 979x551px
>>324054930
Construct 2 FTW
>>
File: mall.jpg (622KB, 1920x1080px)
mall.jpg
622KB, 1920x1080px
mall progress in Trigger Spree(MP FPS)
>>
>>324059079
>What happened to unity?
Version 4 happened, especially 4.3 I think, or 4.6. Throughout the life of v4 they've been adding a lot of tools that streamline development, making it really inviting.
>>324059138
>MP FPS
I don't know why I always thought it would be SP.
>>
Expert coder here. I could easily whip up a playable demo of any kind of game in a matter of days, but my big problem is that I just don't have any good ideas for what kind of game to make. If only I could find some kind of collaborator to give me specific direction of what kind of characters and backstory they would like to see. I'd love the chance to be able to listen to detailed (or even vague) descriptions of theme, lore and gameplay. I'd absolutely do my best to stay true to whatever vision my collaborator had in terms of overall tone and impression while I do all the system design, coding, and testing. Really all they'd have to do was playtest the demo it to see if my work was faithful enough to their vision, or if I should go back and refine it further. Maybe this thread will help me with my idea problem.
>>
>>324056238
FRAPS and google "webm for retards"
>>
>>324059670
Kurushi, but for mobiles.
>>
>>324059670
A game in the style of Commandos, but you have a tool that can move the entire level through time, and change everything, even all the actors, accordingly. As a result the players would have to switch time periods to better suit the situation.
A stupid example just to get the idea across, if you're in a modern time with no ranged weapons in an open area and you're spotted, you switch to prehistoric times so the enemy's ranged weapons are now thrown rocks with very little range.

I know I will never make this because I'm already busy doing another retardedly overambitious project and besides this game would be a complete bitch to balance, so if you or anyone else wants to steal this, feel free.
>>
>>324052546
>long-term, recurring threads about a specific game
This is none of those three things
>>
>>324059670
Make a simple fighting game where all you do is jump and kick. The game is based around outjumping, outkicking, and out jump kicking the opponent.
>>
>>324059670
http://www.squidi.net/three/
>>
I'm making a 2D platformer on Unity. What should I keep in mind, anons?
>>
>>324060296
http://store.steampowered.com/app/244730/
someone already made that game
>>
>>324060453
That it's 2016 so hitboxes on sprites should be as accurate as possible.
>>
>>324054930
If I want to start making a 2D game in Unity, can you guys suggest any tutorials to follow for someone who wants to learn how to code? Even basic things like object interaction or walking.

Actually, I have a spritesheet ready and tried to animate it in Unity, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. Did the whole splicing thing, but it's the animator panel that's confusing the hell out of me. I've looked but not really finding any basic tutorial to follow or any premade templates so I can look at examples. Would anyone mind to help me out?
>>
>>324061032
thatsthejoke.jpg
>>
>>324061159
Their own tutorials are well done, albeit in video form.
https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials
https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/animation
>>
File: OrkoGooszooie.webm (518KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
OrkoGooszooie.webm
518KB, 1600x900px
Working on a fez clone with combat, slowly

Wanted a paper lantern for the double jump, but I couldn't make it recognizable with my pixel shit
>>
>>324061404
Thanks for the link, I'm looking at them right now.
>>
>>324061159
tutorials are everywhere man.
>>
File: hub.jpg (238KB, 1920x907px)
hub.jpg
238KB, 1920x907px
I've been working on an adventure/puzzle game for a while. A kind of 3d myst or riven.
>>
>>324061467
>fez clone
No rotation implemented yet?
>>324061645
That looks great, famalam.
>>
>>324061860
>That looks great, famalam.
That's a screenshot of jonathan blow's game, he's memeing on you
>>
>>324062047
That's a shame.
>>
File: 1452892400453.png (206KB, 953x517px)
1452892400453.png
206KB, 953x517px
me again

today is more blender bullshit. Making guys enter rooms via objects.
>>
File: hub2.jpg (255KB, 1920x904px)
hub2.jpg
255KB, 1920x904px
>>324061860
Thanks
>>324062047
Our art style looks similiar but it isn't the witness
>>
>>324061563
Again, I'm totally new and don't really know where to start, that's why I was hoping anyone would know of any really easy basic ones to follow. I've actually tried some in the past but I find a lot are very difficult to follow, messy or are just a bit too advanced for me, plus most tutorials seem to be for 3D, not 2D.
The one the other anon posted is good and I'm reading them right now, that and I started watching an introduction to C# on youtube so I kind of understand what some code will do but again it's very minimal.

I'd really like to learn how to get a sprite to walk with animations (I figured out how to get a static sprite to move around already but the animation thing is confusing the hell out of me), how to make text pop up when you interact with an object, and change rooms. I'd love to make more complicated things but I figure they're a good place to start?
>>
>>324062440
I know nothing about animations.
To load a new room you need to switch scene with SceneManager.LoadScene
http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/SceneManagement.SceneManager.LoadScene.html
To make text popup you need to instantiate a UI.Text. The problem is that since you have no programming experience, telling you things like this does nothing, because you have no notion of what Instantiate is, how to calculate the Vector3 for its position, and so on.
Getting started is a very slow process.
>>
>>324062440
youtubed "unity tutorials", literally second result, get the corresponding playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZ1b66Z1KFKik2g8D4wrmYj4yein4rCk8
there are a million series like this one
don't just try to find the 10 seconds you want to do a single thing, watch a series of tutorials and take notes and do the things along while you're watching
watch "introduction to..." and "for beginners" stuff and everything should be explained in order. you can't just jump in wherever and expect to understand what they're saying. sometimes you need just a little theory/explanations so you can move on. if one series is really bad, find another. there's no way you can't find what you're looking for, there is way however that what's happening is that you're not being patient.
>>
>>324062440
(Not the same anon.) For animations, this is the tutorial series that I used:

http://www.raywenderlich.com/61532/unity-2d-tutorial-getting-started

It's 2D, but overhead view. Should still introduce the basics.
>>
>>324061860

shouldv said Fez-style doors and areas, never cared for the rotation gimmick. Puzzles and portal-y doors
>>
File: FirstTest.webm (1MB, 768x672px) Image search: [Google]
FirstTest.webm
1MB, 768x672px
So I finally figured out how to get something working in Construct Classic! I spent two days trying to implement my own physics before I realized there was a platformer behavior setting. That will make things so much easier.
>>
>>324063915
>different sized pixels
REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: Y8FaK3q.jpg (217KB, 800x414px) Image search: [Google]
Y8FaK3q.jpg
217KB, 800x414px
Building a Third-Person city building game set with an Aztec theme (kinda like My life as a king)
>>
>>324063050
Yeah that's lost on me to be honest. But I'm gonna write it down and look in to it later when I can do a little more, so it's still helpful. Thanks.

>>324063276
Thanks for the advice, and the link. What you're saying is actually true, but I guess the reason for me doing that is that I find 2D tutorials difficult to find... is there benefit to me watching 3D tutorials, can I learn that and apply that knowledge to 2D?
I wandered around and looked at a lot of tutorials before I started watching this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12Ste_E1Q7g and I feel it's well explained and I'm understanding what commands mean/do. I got up as far as Arrays and I started having trouble but I'll keep watching until I get it.

You're right, I am being impatient. I guess I'm just excited and want to make stuff right away, but of course that's not really possible. What do you guys think is a reasonable timeframe to learn how to do all of the things I outlined in my post before? Would 3 months of learning C# be reasonable?
>>
>>324064096
That's pretty cute. I like it.
>>
>>324063915

Congrats anon, keep it up
>>
>>324063596
Thank you for the link! I'll check it out for sure.
>>
>>324063915
Why classic and not 2?
>>
File: screenFetch-2016-01-15_14-24-39.png (88KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2016-01-15_14-24-39.png
88KB, 1680x1050px
Haven't worked on this shit in ages and I didn't even get much done in the first place.
Also is there a cell shading option for lighting in unity?
Because this kind of looks like ass.
>>
>>324064286

2 only gives you so many events with the free version afaik. It might be enough, but I didn't feel like taking chances. My only other option was Unity, which I'll look into in the future.

>>324064094

They're not though. You can open it in paint and check for yourself.
>>
>>324064575
>2 only gives you so many events with the free version afaik. It might be enough, but I didn't feel like taking chances. My only other option was Unity, which I'll look into in the future.

Fair enough. I pirated it myself so I could learn how stuff worked.

I'm not that great at it but if you have any Construct questions I'd be happy to try and answer.
>>
File: gfdgfd.png (2KB, 336x364px)
gfdgfd.png
2KB, 336x364px
>>324064575
>They're not though. You can open it in paint and check for yourself.
I think he means that the pixels aren't aligned to a grid, meaning this can happen
>>
>>324064717

I'm sure I'll have many, but I've been trying to stick to reading tutorials for help and just monkeying with the system as best as I can.

I've been reading a tutorial on animations and bounding boxes, so that's going to be the next leg of my journey.
>>
>>324064104
>is there benefit to me watching 3D tutorials, can I learn that and apply that knowledge to 2D?
yes, anything that's not related to positions in space still works of course
Unity actually used to not have any explicitely 2D stuff, it does now though (since 5, so do search for Unity 5 tuts)
>I got up as far as Arrays and I started having trouble
depends what you mean by "trouble", if it's "losing concentration after a day starting from scratch", it's fine, if it's "spent several days on arrays", get it a little together
arrays, like other things, are a basic component of programming, you'll see it all the time, it's something you can't skip
I can't answer you as to a timeframe, I've given up all that stuff some time ago, that was just general advice. I'll just say don't go and start thinking "I need to get a game out within 6 months because my rent depends on it", that's not gonna work

if you really, really just want fast results you could go with Game Maker, I'm not sure how much more simple than Unity it is though, maybe not that much
>>
File: Untitled.png (21KB, 1277x798px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
21KB, 1277x798px
I'm still working on this but I have really no idea where I'm taking it
It's more for code practice than anything I guess
>>
>>324063915
Oh, you're still alive, neat. We kept your threads going while you were away.
>>324064104
>3 months
If you try to do some learning daily it shouldn't take you take long to start building something. Then as you continue learning you can keep building on top of that.
Chances are in the end you'll end up scrapping everything and restarting from scratch because you'll then understand how things work much better, but that's the way it goes. That second time you'll be much faster at it.
>>324064796
Maybe those are eight pixels
>>
>>324064796

Hmm, good point. I guess my biggest problem is the sprites are two small if I'm making a 1:1 8-bit styled game, so I just multiplied everything by 3. I wonder if I can fix that.
>>
>>324065182

I assume there's a way in Construct to make a room that's 1:1 size but the window the player views the game in is 2/3x zoomed in. That way you could keep the pixels and movement consistent and also keep the upscaled resolution of the game.
>>
>>324065182
It really isn't a problem, it just might trigger a few peoples' autism.
If you want to eliminate it though, the solution is the have everything at native res in the agme and then have the game window display at 3x.
I don't really know if that's possible in construct though
>>
>>324065057
Well, it's a vertical shooter. Unless you have a special idea there's not much where you can take it.
You could try to see how crazy you can make it become while keeping a perfect performance.
>>
>>324065182
You could always make the screen size 256x240 and then have the game scale up to your window size.
>>
>>324065480
>>324065440
>>324065396

I know you can maximize the game window but I couldn't figure out how to choose certain settings. I'll add this to my to-do list.
>>
>>324065451
I'm planning on adding a bit of randomization, nothing too excessive, sort of along the lines of Strikers 1945 stages and then maybe doing Nuclear Throne upgrades and BoI-style randomly chosen bosses.

But I probably just won't go anywhere with it and it'll be another iteration of learning to code basic engines and learning from mistakes
>>
>>324065057

Allow the player to hijack enemy ships and control them. Different ships have their own HP and strength values. If the player's current ship is gunned down their power meter depletes, and they need to find a new one to control before it hits 0.
>>
File: 1428609270676.png (9KB, 320x562px)
1428609270676.png
9KB, 320x562px
>>324066316
>sort of along the lines of Strikers 1945
don't forget the waifus
>>
>>324066621
I was gonna do furry husbandos but then it would just feel like I'm ripping off star fox
>>
File: 1451241592591.png (51KB, 229x345px)
1451241592591.png
51KB, 229x345px
So does the free version of Game maker have everything I need or do I need to put out them shekels for the paid version?
>>
>>324066867
How could you possibly need a tool you don't even know exists?
>>
>>324066621
>that deltoid
>>324066485
I like this idea.
>>
>>324066621
... do you mean touhou?
>>
>>324059670
I think this is bait.
>>
File: 1285036973955.jpg (10KB, 71x97px) Image search: [Google]
1285036973955.jpg
10KB, 71x97px
>>324066621
>that guy who spent hundreds of dollars trying to 1cc this game to see this
>he was playing ta152
>>
>>324062169

Hey Swain
>>
>>324062273
Looks awesome, anon. Hope I can play it one day :3 (I love Myst so you have my attention)
>>
File: unity2.png (3MB, 1507x905px)
unity2.png
3MB, 1507x905px
Just started the first Unity tutorial yesterday.
>>
>>324066621
Does this artist even LOOMIS? Boobs Don't grow over the serratus muscles like that.
>>
File: screenshot146.png (386KB, 640x480px)
screenshot146.png
386KB, 640x480px
Got some 2D top down shooting stuff if any one is interested. Posted it a few days ago as well. Got a playable (downloadable) version as well.

Working on making it a massive multiplayer game.

Here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4yxlAcyUNk7ZDlWSDR1b3ZxcXM/view
>>
>>324068083
Vague anatomy is good enough for fapping and waifubait
>>
>>324068202

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Piy17PWv_Ys
>>
Do all you people making games draw your own shit?
>>
I don't think I posted these ones last time, so:

They're free for you to use. Have fun with 'em.
>>
Made the missile trails framerate-independent so they look way less shit. Now working on making the high level AIs less inclined to spin in circles, as well as adding a way for the player to control their wingman; right now, wingmen target whatever plane their leader targets, but I'd like to make it so they can act more defensively as well, targeting any planes that target their leader. Hopefully something like that would let the player use their wingman to force the enemy AIs into less predictable movements
>>
>>324068395

Yea. But a friend of mine does the coding. Another friend has a company and will publish it.
>>
>>324050851
Works for me.

How do I actually start to make game?
>>
>>324068448
These ones too.
>>
>>324068490

Sit down, note some ideas. Just random shit.

Do some research about the popular games these days, also the indie games.

Look at what makes these games popular, and how you are to use these features for your own. Mostly adept to what people look for, and or like, just for a profit and high succes rate.
>>
>>324068448
But they aren't actually useful without animations are they?
>>
My biggest problem is that I actually know how to code, but the thought of sitting down and having to do all that boilerplate shit just to bring assets together into something that I might not like demotivates me into giving up. Then I look at engines that bypass the painful shit, and all I see is inflexibility and having to learn how to trick it into doing what I want. How do you actually get the motivation to do a project when you don't have the thrill of learning as you go and wanting to power through the challenges of being a new coder?
>>
>>324069058
I don't think you can avoid having to do a lot of work if you want to make a video game.
>>
>>324068783
for making dq clones.
>>
>>324068783
Depends what you wanna use them for? They'd be right at home in an RPG Maker game, or a card game, or lots of other things.
>>
What engine is easiest to use to make pretty much a 3D walking simulator with very simple "gameplay"?
>>
>>324069586
Unity
>>
>>324069586
Unity. That's what every walking simulator is made in now.
>>
>>324069735
>>324069670
Unity it is. Thank you.
>>
>>324051921
turns out the person who tried it was retarded because another one didn't have any problems
>>
File: asdsdaasda.jpg (86KB, 607x434px)
asdsdaasda.jpg
86KB, 607x434px
>>324050851
>>
>>324068202
>>324068379
So a Hotline Miami clone?
>>
>>324070190
I thought you said you never got past concept art? Or was that another anon?
>>
>>324068379
Hotline miami was a great game. That trailer was a hot mess.
>>
Engine: Unity

Setting: Fantasy 90's cyberpunk wizards battle eachother in a large-ish map.

Gameplay: Third person style, WASD controls.
Press "Space" to charge-up your mana (slowly decreases if not used).
While charging up, your mana increases up to level 5. While charging up, you can press any other key to input a "Magical Rune". You can use as many Runes as your mana level. Release Space to cast a spell.
Ex. press space, charge up to lv 2, press Q (fire rune) and W (movement rune), release space to cast "Fireball" - mana decreases if a spell is succesfully cast.
This offers around 400 spell combinations.
Spells get radically more powerful as complexity increases - possibility of "Epic" spells done with a long string of letters, requires magical tome found in the map?

Right now most of the game systems are in a working state, I require cool assets and actually coding the 400 spells.
Should I continue working on this, /v/?
>>
>>324068461
>non-3d aircraft game

But why?
>>
>>324068379
Think about this for your level design, those hallways are very narrow. If you check Hotline Miami every single room you go into you can maneuver around a bit. As is those hallways are death traps, or at least can inhibit the flow of the game.
>>
>>324070442
>>324070224

>Hotline Miami was a great game. That trailer was a hot mess.

Thanks. The way the game was, was not something I stood behind any way. I intend to revamp it.

>So a Hotline Miami clone?

Sure. Whatever you'd like to call it. Devolver tends to disagree though, and so do I.
>>
>>324070549
If single player yes. If multiplayer only, no.
>>
I finally released my first game.

Ok it's actually a stupid visual novel parody with crappy graphics, stolen music and bad grammar but damn, I feel like I actually completed something for once.

I won't link it here because there's (thankfully) no english language and may be considered way too cringe anyway
>>
>>324070687
You're being published by Devolver?
>>
>>324070754
Is that a titan in the background? And what's that thing next to it?
Also, congrats.
>>
>>324070704
multiplayer only, but there's nothing stopping me from converting it to a singleplayer game. In fact it'd be easier. However I fear that the replayability will suffer a lot.
>>
>>324070224
>hotline miami

not seeing it.
>>
>>324070687
>trailer
The way the trailer is right now, I'd rather just have a simple description of the game instead. It looks like a really shitty hotline clone, with tons of obnoxious effects to hide any actual gameplay. This makes me not want to try it out.
>>
>>324070882
an EVA and a titan, I was bored so I just traced them.
>>
>>324070895
Multiplayer indie games are generally dead on arrival unless its truly something special.
>>
>>324070882
>And what's that thing next to it?
Come on anon open you recognize a naked man yet don't recognize giant robots
>>
>>324050851

I started slowly learning gamedev but then I gave up

Should I go back /v/?
>>
>>324070754
What the fuck.
>>
>>324070754
forgot to mention it's basically a giant parody of bad fanfiction, with self inserts meeting famous people and bad grammar
>>
>>324071148
>come on anon open you recognize
Maybe I should open my own eyes and proof read
>>
>>324071167
If you're planning to make a living out of it: no.
If you just want to have fun: sure, it's a hobby.
>>
>>324071148
Sorry, never watched it.
>>
>>324071148
typical 4channel, amirite?
>>
>>324063915
Oh it's that qt dog again.

This better be porn or else into the fucking trash, m8
>>
>>324071130
Good point. Problem is that to make a singleplayer mode I'll need a LOT more assets and work. Not impossible, though.
>>
>>324071285

The learning process just got too frustrating for my adhd mind, especially all the math and programming stuff.

I mean im sure its fun when you finally learn how to do it, but fuck learning this shit is such an uphill battle for me right now. I just feel stupid when I try it, and I can't make anything gratifying yet.
>>
File: Lilly.png (28KB, 640x680px)
Lilly.png
28KB, 640x680px
>>324071414

I'm sorry anon but I prefer cute drawings to actual porn.

I don't care if other people make porn of her though
>>
>>324071350
don't; it's shit.
>>
Question for your UE4 fucks, been fucking around with UE4 and I'm more practiced with the character modeling aspect with Maya than the actual software of making it all click, but hey, gotta start somewhere. Anyway, I imported the character I made as an .fbx file and it appears in UE4 as a static mesh when I drag it into the game world. It works fine standing there doing the default arms out pose..so..what exactly are the steps needed to make it an actual NPC with movement as opposed to just a stiff box?

That is, not a player character itself, but at least so it stands there and just idles as opposed to just static hang there?
>>
>>324068461
>2d ace combat
love it
have you tried messing around with the speed of the crafts at all and seeing how it affects gameplay?
>>
>>324071607
>I prefer cute drawings to actual porn.

Into the trash my man
>>
>>324071793
Look at tutorials
>>
>>324071871
Anon, kindly kill yourself.
>>
Anon, i got an idea of a game, if any devbro is interested to hear it, you can add me on steam

Basically it involves a top down hotel management gameplay, youre a hotel manager in the worst shithole crime infested place of X country. Involves shooting and money management, also maybe a plot about the main character that adds aspects to the gameplay

I can go more in depth if anyone wants to hear more, sorry for being a first timer ideas guy
>>
>>324071607
That's gay. Hopefully she gets lots of porn, that's the whole point of anthro characters anyway
>>
>>324072017
That's the problem though, I've been looking for a tutorial and all I seem to find are tutorials about how to make a new player character from the existing skeleton mesh that comes with the default map, or how to import static objects and characters. No one seems to go through the steps on how to tweak a character from static pose to idle
>>
>>324070605

Thank you for the tip. I appreciate it.
>>
>>324072097
Sounds fun but i dont think the top down camera is a good idea
>>
>>324070771

No i'm not. But thanks for asking. No, I sent an email + the game to ask about their opinion, and wether or not they felt like I stole their idea. They (or he/she) told me that they didn't feel like my intentions were to steal their ideas in any way. I did the same thing with the music that we use.
>>
File: 1274590727830.png (6KB, 493x401px)
1274590727830.png
6KB, 493x401px
>>324071607
>I'm sorry anon but I prefer cute drawings to actual porn.
I like you anon, you have good taste

Your char is cute and I'd draw her if I wasn't shit at art
>>
>>324072927
Nou succes ermee
>>
>>324071031

Thanks for the tip. The trailer is based on an old alpha but it puts the point across quite nicely. I only intend to keep the art assets and the fast paced combat any way. I would love to tell you something about the new version.
>>
>>324073089

what?
>>
File: f8d48a_5778298.jpg (81KB, 1366x633px) Image search: [Google]
f8d48a_5778298.jpg
81KB, 1366x633px
>>324050851
I'm making a game about jewish people.
I am the edgy dev
>>
>>324072927
You used the same style of music?
Well , i dont know man, both games looks very similar

I dont know why i thought it would , or if this helps

But a hotline miami esque game in a cyberpunk setting would be awesome, shoothing robots as a policeman, or a rogue robot going on a killing spree against his creators
But i bet youre already too far in your own style and setting to change it at this poiny
>>
File: 33506b43.jpg (15KB, 400x400px)
33506b43.jpg
15KB, 400x400px
>>324071607
>I'm sorry anon but I prefer cute drawings to actual porn.
6 years ago I would have called you a faggot.

Good taste.
>>
>>324073235

good goy
>>
>>324073235
Looks accurate so far. Keep up the good work, anon!
>>
>>324073373

>
I dont know why i thought it would , or if this helps

But a hotline miami esque game in a cyberpunk setting would be awesome, shoothing robots as a policeman, or a rogue robot going on a killing spree against his creators
But i bet youre already too far in your own style and setting to change it at this point

I'm noting this down. Thank you.

>You used the same style of music?
Well , i dont know man, both games looks very similar

I'm not using the same style of music. Note, the creators of Hotline Miami had composers make tunes for the game, instead of reaching out for tunes that already existed. I mostly just intended to use Lorn's music but the (ex) co-creator felt, that using hardstyle was the way to go. I disagree.

I've been very busy with developing my latest version, which doesn't have any music in it at all. It isn't singleplayer either.
>>
File: blah.png (82KB, 640x680px)
blah.png
82KB, 640x680px
>>324071607
10,000 hours in gimp
>>
>>324071607
>>324073027
Actually fuck it, while I'm here, you do want a programmer so you don't have to use construct? I don't really have much for ideas and I get a lot more enjoyment out of coding other people's visions than my own anyways.
>>
>>324073781

I even fail to see how one would combine the two genres and have a proper working videogame.
>>
File: Even shorter.png (56KB, 776x561px)
Even shorter.png
56KB, 776x561px
Been messing around with Blender, this happened
>>
>>324073781
Dust and Elysian Tale
>>
>>324073638
I think you fucked up quoting me, but i understood anyway

My robot miami idea might work to add huge differences between your game and hotline miami

Also, to nail the creepyness of a rogue killer robot, you could use some synthwave songs? :)
>>
>>324073235
looks like a poop goblin.
>>
>>324073781
Isn't Zelda 2 technically that? Or most Metroidvanias?
>>
Anyone else doing a visual novel here?

I find writing to be the hardest part, to be honest.
>>
>>324073781
>Cave Story
>action RPG
u wot m8
the game has zero RPG mechanics

Stuff like Muramasa is a good example, even games like the SotN-style castlevanias would count I'd say. You level up, have stats, find new gear and weapons, etc.
>>
>>324073880
midna?
>>
>>324073880
Saw ur shit in shortstacks thread, they are pretty nice and T H I C K but i dont see how could they fit into a game unless its for dick-teasing
>>
>>324073961

Yes I defenitely messed up with quoting you.
Well as the old game was, it doesn't exist any more. Neither does the setting. I still intend to keep the 'sci-fi' theme though, just slightly. It's just mostly in the HUD or in the weapon sprites and sounds. Maybe in the decals as well.
>>
>>324073880
Why does this undetailed unfinished 3d model give me a boner?
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (417KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
417KB, 1366x768px
>>324073983
What the hell is a poop goblin. They all poop don't they?
>>
>>324073730

I can forgive everything else but the giant cow tits are just too much. D-, see me after class.

>>324073801

I appreciate it anon but this is more of a personal project than anything else. I'm just doing this for fun, if I get other people involved then it will become work.
>>
>>324073921
Shit that actually looks pretty good, to easy for an RPG but good
>>324074071
Its got its leveling mechanics, which actually isnt to bad of an idea
>>324074001
Yeah I guess you're right, maybe if I slapped on some Status Elements
>>
>>324073781

Make beat em up combat / hack and slash combat.

Play Dungeons And Dragons beatemup series by Capcom for good examples.

Also play a top down game called Beyond Oasis by Sega on the genesis.

Its not 2D plane, but the combat is very punchy and satisfying for a RPG/Adventure game.

I am planning on making a adventure/RPG game but with Beat Em Up/Fighting Game combat.

Except I suck at making games, I barely can make the player move properly.

Im just an ideas man with dreams of making my game but I have no good experience.
>>
>>324073730
One more layer to go anon. It must be done. Also fat tits are wonderful don't listen to the homos
>>
>>324074439
>Its got its leveling mechanics
If you mean the weapon leveling, that really doesn't make the game an RPG
>>
>>324074569

Wouldn't you be able to concider a game a 'roleplaying game' as long as you can immerse yourself in a role?

I know I could. If that makes me a retard, than so be it.
>>
>>324074082
Not really intended to be, but it just came out like that
>>324074183
That is what most of her design is for, yes
>>324074198
Because you love Shortstacks
>>
>>324073781
There is also Ys III, though I personally never played it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXT1bwuOa7o
>>
>>324059126
I'd like to play that anon
>>
Just yesterday I finished a script in Unity for dialogue. I'm not really a programmer though, don't know anything besides C#, so it's kinda cruddy.
You need to put it on an object with 6 child UI elements, then edit 5 different arrays on the inspector. But at least it's flexible.
>>
File: 1425420675628.png (236KB, 480x360px)
1425420675628.png
236KB, 480x360px
>unity
>>
>>324074897
Finish chewing before you type.
>>
>>324074897
Unity isnt bad
Its free so It has produced a lot of bad
>>
>>324074897

Who are you quoting?
>>
>>324074969

Wether it is bad or not is up to the one that uses it.
>>
>>324074382
>I appreciate it anon but this is more of a personal project than anything else. I'm just doing this for fun, if I get other people involved then it will become work.
I understand, it's all good
>>
File: CharacterOldNew.png (95KB, 916x524px)
CharacterOldNew.png
95KB, 916x524px
Hello again folks! Posting the same stuff as yesterday I'm afriad.

Here's an image showing an art revision of my main character, after receiving some constructive criticism. (New one on the Left, old on the Right).

More coming in a minute! (Feedback always welcome too!)
>>
>>324074897

>Not using space Homer
>>
File: 1429974109415.gif (177KB, 180x218px)
1429974109415.gif
177KB, 180x218px
>>324054930
Can I use a 2D software to run a 3D game?
Like I want to have 3D models but all on a 2D surface?
>>
>>324068448
>>324068540
Are these yours? Do you have more?
I specially like the door, cauldron, and bomb ones
>>
>>324075458

And here's an animation of "Flying at a regular speed". This character has a jetpack strapped to him, but it's a different entity in the game, so it's not included in this animation (And I haven't redrawn it yet...)

Did some more work on animations today, but forgot to export them as gifs and I cba turning my PC back on now. If there's another thread tomorrow I'll post them then.
>>
File: space14.webm (952KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
space14.webm
952KB, 960x540px
Not a whole lot of progress. I'm working on dialog options.
>>
>>324075458

Looks pretty nice. It could use some more shading and gloss though... Maybe use a gradient on the lenses?

Keep up the good work anon
>>
>>324075578

You should probably use 3D Software for that. Unity could easily pull that off.
>>
>>324074978
you're doing it wrong
>>
>>324075578
You'd be best doing it the other way around. Use a 3D engine/environment but then restrict the Z position of your models.

(Look up a game called "The Deer God". Tell me if that's the sort of thing you mean)
>>
>>324068202
Alright.
1) I don't see how you can say this isn't like HM. It totally is. Not that it's a bad thing.
2) I didn't see much point in having to aim and sprint: to me it didn't seem that there was any advantage to not holding them down the entire time
3) the view is too zoomed in for my tastes. It meshed well with the speed anyway, but I'd have liked a bit more awareness
4) the AI seemed a bit sleepy, sometimes they had bullets flying around them and still didn't react
5) you should rework some tiles in areas like pic related because walls can be very hard to spot
6) game froze in the level after pic related

All around the controls felt good. The camera sway didn't bother me, but it didn't in HM either.
>>
>>324075641

I've been seeing your Webm's show up for a while now, and I have to ask;

What type of game are you planning to make? This looks pretty cool and all, but what do you want to have as a final product? Can you give a short description, as if you are trying to sell it to me?
>>
>>324052546
>specific game
>>
>>324075658
Thanks!

I'll try out a gradient once I've done a full pass on all the animations I've got thus far. Thanks for the feedback!
>>
>>324075641
That's neato, I'd play it
>>
whats the easiest engine for someone like me who has no idea where to begin with coding or programming? all I know how to do is draw.
>>
>>324059670
This is bait but there's some truth to it. Even if you have enough dedication/work ethic to actually learn all the skills necessary to make a game, once you get to that point you start to realize a lot of the ideas you used to have aren't technically feasible, or are ill-defined, or just flat-out not fun. When you can look at something and instantly see all the little flaws and hangups it's incredibly hard to motivate yourself to finish, let alone start, anything.

I wish I could go back, /v/
>>
>>324075937

Construct 2 probably.
>>
>>324075937
See >>324054930
Construct 2
>>
>>324075937
Gamemaker Probably. Plenty of tutorials and a large portion of their audience are schoolage kids (Teens)

That said, it's still perfectly possible to make a full game in it. Hotline Miami, Spelunky, Nidhogg and Undertale were all done in GM.
>>
>>324075641
What was the name of the long-legged one again?
>>
File: Zaheer vs Tenzin.webm (2MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
Zaheer vs Tenzin.webm
2MB, 800x450px
I'm making a fighting game and I want to include characters I don't own. Can I get around being sued if I use the likeness of the character but change their name? Sorta like Broforce
>>
File: 1451703423803.png (58KB, 632x600px)
1451703423803.png
58KB, 632x600px
>Like the idea of creating a game
>Realize I don't have many skills to go into creating one and something I'd like to make would be far too ambitious of a first project
>Don't even think people would like the concept of the project anyway so you'd just end up making a game for yourself
>>
File: Sprite Stuff.png (5KB, 171x202px) Image search: [Google]
Sprite Stuff.png
5KB, 171x202px
>>324075458

I see you upscalled the sprite since last time. and your color choices are certainly better this time but there's still some colors that need better contrast. Your line work also needs improvements.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to provide you a detailed post of what needs work and I lost the link to this great sprite tutorial someone posted last time.

If you pop up again in another thread and post your wokr, I'll be glad to help.
>>
>>324075780

I'm going to respond the same way you did, for social reasons.

1) I understand how you formed that opinion. I implore you to reconsider. By playing an outdated version, you've only scratched the surface of what the game is really about.

2) Aiming and sprinting is something that I concidered to be a benefit to the 'fast paced gameplay' I was aiming for.

3) The final (online) version will be slightly zoomed out for shooting etc, but a lot more zoomed out when it comes to driving around town.

4) The AI is retarded. But that's my opinion. The one that wrote the A.I. stated that it's a difficult process. I expect people to be understanding this.

5) I'll take that tip. I will rework the tiles and walls.

6) I have the exact same bug. I hate it. Even more because I know what cames after that level.

Thank you for the kind feedback and critisism.
>>
File: 0000% Mad.jpg (35KB, 480x538px)
0000% Mad.jpg
35KB, 480x538px
>check the thread
>actual video games instead of homer laughing in space

good one lads
>>
>>324075824
You fly around and discover new planets (the planets won't be as close as this in the full game). You complete quests, and do all kinds of average rpg stuff.
That's what I have in mind for now. But the game is not far in development and I can go all kind of ways.
>>
>>324076197

> Can I get sued if I use some one else's character, or a likeness similar to it?

Absolutely.
>>
>>324076090
>>324076096
>>324076110
awesome thanks!

I want to make something like gunstar heroes. Nobodies making run and gun shooters like they used to anymore so I'm going to have to make one myself.
>>
i really want to move away from gamemaker but should probably release something more simple before starting an ambitious project
>>
File: CYK3w3IUoAAJazk.jpg (58KB, 538x796px) Image search: [Google]
CYK3w3IUoAAJazk.jpg
58KB, 538x796px
>>324076251
Just put it off till tomorrow, that's what I've been doing for years now.
>>
>>324076353

Thanks for the response. I'm genuinely excited.

I hope to see more of your work in these threads!
>>
>>324076197

It's legally risky. What you need to probably do is go for grounds of parody, but you'll have to make significant visual changes in order to avoid nasty legalities.

For example, you might want to take a look at the game "Kill The Plumber". He's managed to avoid getting sued thus far with some decent exposure.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/420070/
>>
>>324070754
Are you using some engine for VN?
>>
>>324076379

Good anon, I love run and guns. I'd like to make something similar to Sunset Riders someday. Best of luck.
>>
>>324076357
>>324076357
Can't I just say "All likeness is purely coincidental"
>>
>>324076254
http://www.kyrieru.com/p/this-first-part-will-cover-many-of.html?zx=ef6e6ac35d5b0060
>>
>>324076448
Thanks, I appreciate that!
>>
>>324076493
>Sunset Riders
YES!!! love that game.
and thanks.
>>
>>324076420
Sounds like a great plan. Though I have been itching to write some of my ideas down in a note book.
>>
>>324076518

Yep! That's the one. Thanks anon.

>>324075458
>>324075636

Take a look at the link provided by the kind anon. That pretty much sums up everything.
>>
>>324076494

No that isn't going to cut it, i'm afraid.

You could always just ask these companies for their opinion on the subject. Ask if you could use a 'likeness' of their characters and think of a reason to do so, however, make it a good one.
>>
File: 1408893339934.jpg (105KB, 413x600px)
1408893339934.jpg
105KB, 413x600px
>>
>>324076672
Well fuck. Better make it free instead then
>>
Im trying to learn making games on gamemaker right now

I think GMS is just way too fucking confusing for me right now, i feel like im drooling at the screen like a retard when I try to learn programming. I still can't even figure out to do anything beyond moving my character left and right, and I am not even sure if I am doing it the right way for my game.

Is it better to just learn Drag and Drop in gamemaker first or learn construct 2 if you are brand new at making games and programming is just too frustrating. I want to have at least a bit of fun making games, but I seriously can't get over the programming hurdle, I feel like a loser retard and want to give up.
>>
>>324076254
Hi again! I still have that image saved, and thanks once again!

I'm expecting to have quite a few revisions before it's all done and finalized, so I'm sure you'll see me around again at some point! I'm quite happy with the overall design of the guy now, but I'll have a search for more colouring tuts in the mean time!

Cheers!
>>
>>324076784

I would just use really small similarities. Use completely different names. Maybe then you could use the 'coincidence' statement.
>>
File: creatures.png (6KB, 580x680px)
creatures.png
6KB, 580x680px
>>324076169
Tiptip!
If you're bored and send me a alien creature design I might add it to the game.
??? was originally drawn by anon, he didn't name it though :(
>>
>>324076784
It could work if you're careful, anon. You just need to be completely sure that you can get away with it.
>>
>>324076642

Ah yes, I've been following that one as it happens! I think I need more practice in messing with hues and saturations for shading purposes, as it does still seem like a bit of an alien concept.

Oh well, practice makes perfect!
>>
>>324077081
I forgot to add, not sure what to do with the bottom one. I can't think of a good body for it. Maybe it just rolls his head around.
>>
>>324077081

Call it a Wogyrm
>>
>>324076267
I'm going to change the way I respond to you because I'm a jerk.
>By playing an outdated version
I played what you gave me.
>Aiming and sprinting is something that I concidered to be a benefit to the 'fast paced gameplay' I was aiming for.
It would, but not if there's no reason to not sprint and aim all the time.
>The AI is retarded.
It's not terrible, just needs more work.

I also forgot to mention something about ammo count, but I'd suspect that's something that you thought about already anyway.
>>324077081
>Tiptip
Hehe, I remembered it was good.
>>
>>324077235
>checks if Wogyrm is not some type of hentai or weird fetish
Sure
>>
File: stepCounterpersistence.webm (2MB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
stepCounterpersistence.webm
2MB, 1024x576px
Still workin' on my roguelike. Added a placeholder UI and now I'm working on a game title screen, a settings menu, and saving/loading games.
I'm having a lot of fun and I hope it's ok to post this here and on agdg.
>>
>>324077261

> I'm going to change the way I respond to you because I'm a jerk

I'm okay with that.

> I played what you gave me

I posted the link but already stated that it was heavily outdated. Also because I expected people to give constructive critisism and tips based on their experience.

> It would, but not if there's no reason to not sprint and aim all the time

That isn't really up to you.

> It's not terrible, just needs more work

Thanks.

> I also forgot the mention something about ammo count, but I'd suspect that's something that you though about already anyway.

You're correct. And the ammo count was probably the newest addition to that version.
>>
>>324077470

Yeah it was just the first thing that popped into my head. It looked like a wogyrm.
>>
>>324073730
Clean it up a bit and it's perfect. The thumbnail is more fappable, still hot though.

Do more
>>
Guys, im bored as fuck of videogames since im too poor to afford the newer ones

I want to make a game by myself now

A 2d sidescroller shooter game with some interesting story to it

I will not talk about gameplay yet, but i need you guys to reccomend mw a good program to make sprites

I can also take suggestions in the style, but im a fine ideas guy myself

Btw im using construct 2 because i dont know how to code yet, i might learn later
>>
>>324077825

I use GraphicsGale. But honestly, MS Paint does the job just fine.
>>
>>324077825

> some interesting story to it

Storywriter here. Hit me up.

> I need you guys to recommend a good program to make sprites

Adobe photoshop, or maybe pyxel.

>I can also take suggestions in the style

You can always determine this when you have the story finished.

> I dont know how to code yet, i might learn later

Don't limit yourself by pushing things ahead.
>>
>>324077825

I use Pyxel Edit. It's not bad, though it has bugs and the dev has gone a bit AWOL.

There's also Aesprite which seems to be quite popular, and of course, Photoshop.
>>
File: 282.gif (895KB, 448x540px)
282.gif
895KB, 448x540px
I'm basically making a grimdark stealth Kirby.
>>
>>324077825
Don't make it story heavy at all. Nothing breaks the flow of a Run N' Gun than having to sit there for a minute and have a story unfold. Hell I even hate starting up Contra Hard Corps due to the long intro that you cannot skip. You just mash A as fast as you can and hope to finally play the game.
>>
>>324050851
Any tips oh what to use for making a video game if you have no knowledge of coding?
>>
>>324078169

I gotta say I like the game stylistically. I'm not exactly sure what you have in mind for gameplay though.
>>
>>324078075
>good program to make sprites
If you're on a Mac, Pixen is a great choice.
>>
>>324078075
Add me on steam mate

My nickname is pollobodoke

Profile id: id/PREDATORYX/
>>
i'm making a furry game. am i allowed to post it here?
>>
>Photoshop for pixel art

just draw it normally and then add a pixel layer? save as jpeg? like that?
>>
>>324078375
Go right ahead
Just no straight out gay porn
>>
>>324078289
I'm thinking short missions, maybe up to 5 minutes long. Basically try to navigate to the end of a level and possess the person/thing that's in control of an area to claim it as your own territory.

>>324078262
Learn to code.

>>324078383
please don't tell me you're going to save a sprite as a jpg
>>
>>324059670
>tfw when i was younger, had all the motivation, but none of the skill
>now that I have skill, I have no motivation
YOU CAN'T FUCKING WIN
>>
>>324078375
If it's that Anubis game, go back to /agdg/
>>
>>324071493
Go for coop procedural generated or horde mode type stuff first. Less assets recquired. Lots of replyability. And you satisfy your urge for multi fuckery.
>>
File: 1429845780333.jpg (38KB, 533x176px) Image search: [Google]
1429845780333.jpg
38KB, 533x176px
>>324078375
yes
>>
>>324078528
:(
>>
>>324061645
>>324062273
Looks cozy anon, how did you get the leaves shader so puffy? Even with the re-oriented normals the shadows on the underside and the little ones poking out from the middle give it a nice depth
>>
>>324078383

> Create new file with small resolution like 30x30
> Delete background layer
> Start drawing

> Finish drawing
> Convert to higher resolution with rough edges

>Profit
>>
>>324050851
anyone use phyre egine?
>>
>>324077825
use graphicsgale or photoshop
aseprite is so shit nobody even knows how to spell it
>>
>>324078508
>don't tell me you're going to save a sprite as a jpg
shit I don't know. How do you make pixel art with photoshop? that sounds weird to me. I thought you had to make it in the actual game engine.
>>
>>324078648
literally what?
>>
>>324078713

Always use a .png with the background removed.
>>
>>324078383
just use aseprite desu
>>
>>324078645
>>324078829
>>324078889
thanks

I've got a lot to learn.
>>
I compose vidya songs, mostly battle themes

Here are my most recent:

Standard "giant enemy" battle theme:

https://soundcloud.com/iwilldevouryourkittens/typhoon-battle-with-a-titanic-foe

Climactic endgame fight with evil CEO (not the final boss btw):

https://soundcloud.com/iwilldevouryourkittens/the-end-of-all-things

High seas pirate battle, or something:

https://soundcloud.com/iwilldevouryourkittens/the-greatest-storm-of-our-times

Thoughts?
>>
File: png vs jpg.png (242KB, 376x480px) Image search: [Google]
png vs jpg.png
242KB, 376x480px
>>324078713
Just use the pencil tool and draw. Once you improve, you'll start to pick up tricks to work faster, like using the selection tool to quickly draw and fill polygons.

Save it as a png. Here's a comparison between PNG and JPG that'll show you why.
>>
>>324078720
Phyre engine is (was) an engine used to develop for PsP and Ps3 I believe. I can't remember if Sony developed it, but I think it was only available through partnership with them.

No, I have not used it, but I've heard it's horrible.
>>
>>324079103

> I've got a lot to learn

Why would you ever stop learning?
>>
>>324079150
whatever, you can target all playstation consoles with unity so who cares?
>>
>>324054930
What would be the best engine for paper mario style flat character sprites in a 3d world?
>>
File: wtf.png (14KB, 951x284px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.png
14KB, 951x284px
>>324077189
I'm using a meme pixel art style to make a Smash Bros-esque game
>>
>>324079345
Unreal engine.
>>
File: PirateMapT.png (49KB, 819x819px) Image search: [Google]
PirateMapT.png
49KB, 819x819px
>>324075629
I don't have any more monsters - I'm currently putting together some pirate map pieces. I'm just making free stuff, so the idea is to keep it varied.
>>
>>324079183
I think its impossible to ever stop learning.
>>
>>324079345

Unity, GameMaker and maybe Construct 2.

I'd suggest the last 2.
>>
>>324079443
Ok, thank you. Any one of them in particular? Or just unreal engine 1?
>>
>>324079543

> I think its impossible to ever stop learning

I'm going to tell that to my children.
>>
So I've been considering making a a game.
>sidescroller action platformer, a la Mega Man
>however, instead of 1 boss per level, every boss has a whole world with several levels, think Mario 3, or perhaps there's just one constant world with bosses every several levels, Mario World style
>You play as personification of death metal music, going and killing other genres of music to get your fanbase back
>basically Shovel Knight gameplay
What engine should I use? Never made a game before, obviously gonna make a few simpler games just to get a feel for the engine before I actually get into this one.
>>
>>324079605
>GM or Construct 2 for 3D

this advice could be right from /agdg/
>>
>>324079323
Phyre was around before Unity. I believe (though could be wrong) that it didn't incur any additional fees like other engines of the time.

You wouldn't use it nowadays anyway.
>>
>>324079697

Ignore him. Unreal Engine isn't suited for 2D work.

That's like taking a porsche and using it to drive on bike lanes.
>>
>>324079845
>That's like taking a porsche and using it to drive on bike lanes.
I do what I want.
>>
File: 1434688923270.jpg (389KB, 1284x980px) Image search: [Google]
1434688923270.jpg
389KB, 1284x980px
>>324050851

>unity
>>
>>324079764
>>324079605

Fuck I mis read. Forgive my mistake.
>>
>>324079756

Never made a game before either, im still struggling with learning gamemaker programming and I haven't even made a single game yet.

Don't even THINK about making a dream game at all.

Just focus on making random shit that works until you spend a very long time getting comfortable with programming or whatever you are using.

I hope you have more luck than me, cause right now I am in suffering/depression mode when it comes to learning how to do this shit.

Wish I had some sort of friend who was also into this shit who could help me.
>>
>>324079136
Your work has an anime feel to it (which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it tends to end up being generic), probably due to electric guitars and violins (I might be wrong here). And it also has a fast battle pace.

Try doing something slower, like background music for, say, a desert level, or a spooky one, and we'll see
>>
>>324079150
not bad i build 3d engine myself c++ and i can use c++ features in phyre

needs extending though im building ps4 game in a team of 150 sony wants us to use it so no choice
>>
>>324078052
MS Paint a shit

Get you some Paint.net, son
>>
>>324080098
>Wish I had some sort of friend who was also into this shit who could help me.

go find agdg you dumb shit. actually, don't
>>
>>324080302

I mean yeah it is shit, but for basic sprite manipulation it gets the job done. Once you start getting into animations and layers and stuff yeah you should definitely think of upgrading.
>>
>>>/vg/128706884
>>>/vg/128705760

guys, please tell your shitposter to come back.
>>
so where can I make a 2d point and click with some 3d effects
>>
Making a super-smash-borthers-melee-esque fighting game.

~9 months into development. just implemented grabs for 2/8 characters.

pls no hate visuals im shit at modeling/texturing.
>>
>>324080640
>2d point and click with some 3d effects
>>
File: Picture.png (544KB, 1664x998px) Image search: [Google]
Picture.png
544KB, 1664x998px
>>324080767
forgot pic :DD:D:D:DDDD:
>>
>>324080150
Funny; I made a desert theme the other day.

https://soundcloud.com/iwilldevouryourkittens/dune-crocs
>>
>>324080848
If the visuals are shit, shouldn't you show some gameplay instead?
:DD:D:D:DDDD:
>>
>>324080848
change that unity default skybox.

i don't mind, but people will reply shit only because they spotted unity
>>
>>324080767
Got any videos?
I had a similar idea where I make a sm4sh esque game, but with the MOBA business model of releasing new characters often, and new skins even more often. Also with more game modes.
>>
>>324080937

It could just be me but it sounds like your melodies aren't in time with the beat. I don't know shit about music theory though, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>324080990
>shit only because they spotted unity
Quick, hide it from homer.
>>
>>324080951
>>324080990
>>324081008

vypur.tumblr.com

I stopped updating it a while ago. theres a video up there ofr 2 of the characters.

shit from melee thats in:
wavedashing
ledgedashing
shield dropping
fast falls
l canceling
light shield
wall/floor/ground techs
lots more im forgetting

https://www.tumblr.com/reblog/123163806576/wsLcxAEp for a direct link to the video

>>324081134
I dont have any good good assets to replace the skyboy with :(
>>
>>324081008
also thats literally exactly what i'm doing family. >>324081196
>>
>>324080937
Still fast as fuck. Listen to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWKd_N9_mCQ

This is good background music, imo. Yours takes too much attention, and doesn't really convey the atmosphere
>>
>>324080640

Unity 2D.
>>
Just put an asset on the unity store. It generated enum c# classes for you from files within a folder using their filenames, or from an SQLite database file. Takes a config file that lets you define what you want to do and where to put stuff.

Point is to let you use enums in code much easier which lets things be cleaner

I'd link it, but its not approved yet
>>
>>324081619
>using enums
>>
>>324077517

Is that cellula automata? How'd you get the fog of war stuff to work? Looks really neat.
>>
File: Pibbles.png (4KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
Pibbles.png
4KB, 400x500px
>>324077081
I've got a design for ya.
>>
>>324081619
>using unity
>>
>>324081196
Kickstart this bruv, I'll pledge.
>>
>>324081761
First of all: Thanks for effort, I really appreciate that :D
So what did you have in mind with this design? It looks like a standing crocodile.
I'll try toying around with it and see if I can use it. If I end up with something, what should I name it?
>>
>>324081196
That's pretty great, anon. Real Nice.
>>
File: When things go right.webm (2MB, 904x424px) Image search: [Google]
When things go right.webm
2MB, 904x424px
You guys like bobbity water?
>>
File: 1422703996451.webm (691KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1422703996451.webm
691KB, 640x360px
>>324078645
> Finish drawing
> Convert to higher resolution with rough edges
No no, bad anon. You scale it up with the rest of your game in code, so you don't get nasty garbage like pic related.
>>
File: avoidthis.webm (952KB, 889x775px) Image search: [Google]
avoidthis.webm
952KB, 889x775px
might as well post my stuff
>>
File: UndergroundLaboratory.webm (2MB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
UndergroundLaboratory.webm
2MB, 1024x576px
>>324081749
Yep. I use a few different algorithms to make different types of dungeons in my game. I did the fog of war stuff by not drawing any tile that the FOV circle hasn't touched at least once. It was a huge fucking hassle but I'm happy with the results.
>>
>>324081968
Hey, no problem. I'm that guy with the music from last thread. I was thinking just a standing dude with an extremely oversized mouth - 4 teeth visible, with one eye in profile. So, yeah, essentially what you said. I figured the name would be "Pibbles" or something, it just sounded good to me.
>>
>>324082084

I was going to bash your suggestion like every shit throwing monkey would.

But that's actually a great idea. I will throw it into the developer chat. Thanks anon mate.
>>
File: bateman.jpg (73KB, 1280x544px) Image search: [Google]
bateman.jpg
73KB, 1280x544px
>>324081876
In the works. Just started a real job as a wage cuck 2 weeks ago to gather some resources so i can commission artwork. Once i have 8 characters done, and artwork for the website i'll be putting out a kick starter with a hype video.

progress is slowing down a bit though. wage cucking sucks

>>324081992
thank you patrick bateman
>>
>>324082187

I can see, is that A* you're using or BSP, or both? Also where did you learn to do this stuff? I'm working on a 3D procedural dungeon game at the moment so I've got an interest in the stuff now.
>>
File: cats.png (4KB, 288x96px) Image search: [Google]
cats.png
4KB, 288x96px
Does it count as a furry game if only one of the playable characters is a furry?
>>
>>324082443
I'm mainly using cellular automata and random-walk algorithms, then using floodfills to make sure that everything is reachable. No BSP. At least not yet. I don't have any AI yet either because I haven't implemented combat or enemies or anything. I started posting on AGDG around christmas and the people there have been really helpful in showing me how to do things and telling me how things could be better, but mainly it's just reading up on algorithms and stuff on roguebasin and then tooling around until you get something neat.
>>
>>324082608
yes

and you should kill yourself
>>
>>324082413
Wageslaving is the worst thing ever. I probably spent $50 on Powerballs on the incredibly-off-chance I might somehow win to escape this fucking cycle of futility.
>FUCK YOU CAPTCHA, PIZZA =/= PIE
>>
>>324082608

Why are you so worried about making a furry game? Just make what you want. If the furries like it enough they'll claim its a furry game anyway.
>>
>>324082158
Is that all AI?
>>324082040
That's an interesting effect, yes.
>>
>>324082694

Being a try hard doesn't make you famous.

Sucking a lot of dicks probably would.
>>
>>324082696

Same anon

I didn't even have one correct number.
>>
File: bigmouthcreature.png (659B, 180x116px) Image search: [Google]
bigmouthcreature.png
659B, 180x116px
>>324082225
Oh hey. You can call yourself Dr. Doomsday next time, I'll know who you are.

And you described the creature I just made actually, haha
>>
>>324082870
Hey, neat.
>>
>>324082708
It was a joke, mostly. I just didn't know what to write to go with the image.
>>
>>324081737
enums allow your compiler to fail and keeps things in plain english and not in hardcoded text
>>
>>324082827

i'd rather not die as a dick sucking gay ass faggot, no matter how successful
>>
File: frank.png (2KB, 64x64px) Image search: [Google]
frank.png
2KB, 64x64px
So I'm making this game, and this is all I got so far.
>>
>>324083134
just throw exceptions, bruv
>>
>>324082665

That's really cool actually, I looked at stuff like BSP and cellular automata for my thing and they're a bit too cavey for the dungeons I had in mind so ended finding some dagger fall like generation code and hacking it around so it truncated rooms and made the levels interesting. You've pointed me in an interesting direction though so thanks for that.
>>
>>324083134
so does every other type as well
>>
File: Moon_Flower2.png (24KB, 335x327px) Image search: [Google]
Moon_Flower2.png
24KB, 335x327px
Does this boss look cute?
>>
>>324083150

Don't judge. Women seem to enjoy it quite a lot.
>>
>>324083227
I don't know much about 3d generation or anything because I just started but have you tried out perlin noise algorithms?
>>
>>324083174
any ideas? I'd appreciate it
>>
>>324064096
How far into the game will the conquistadors arrive?
>>
>>324082814
yes it's an AI, kinda simple but it doesn't bump into stuff too much
>>
>>324083342
kawaii desu fampai
>>
>>324083342
Cute like a venereal disease, surely.
>>
>>324083413
Neat. Was it designed to reach the opposite side or just to go straight avoid?
>>
>>324083368

I think we need a little more to go on. What kind of game do you want to make anon?
>>
>>324083562
I don't know.
>>
File: test.png (1KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
test.png
1KB, 350x350px
Am I doing this correctly?

>Story: Lost astronaut decides to live his last days under the effects of soft drugs. He wonders the planes of a deserted planet, looking for food and soft drinks.
>>
File: gritty.jpg (66KB, 846x639px) Image search: [Google]
gritty.jpg
66KB, 846x639px
I worked today on my programmer art, it looks a bit shitty because this computer doesn't even do antialiasing, or run unity 5.
I'm making a cyberpunk game so I need to make gritty city assets for it.
>>
>>324083363

I had looked into it but frankly it was beyond me at the moment.
>>
>>324083815

Isn't this a bannable offense?
>>
Currently working on an RPG. Don't have any pics or builds saved to this computer though.

Honestly, I'm a bit frightened. It's low res with sorta bad art (I'm much better at pencil than pixel), a silly tone that's self aware (near the end of the game you blow up the galaxy's "Meme Database") and it has what I guess could be considered deconstruction aimed at traditional RPG mechanics.

It sounds like it's ripping off Undertale, but I started development in August of 2015. I'm not going to act like Undertale didn't have any influences, it most certainly did (specifically the switch from RPG maker to Gamemaker) but it's a sort of goofy, modernized version of the golden age of CRPGs, 1985-1990. It doesn't have any skill based mechanics like Undertale's bullet hell combat. It's "press action key to roll dice" and occasionally using items until the enemies are all dead. There's plans for some really hard mentally taxing optional puzzles that require an understanding of gas laws and calculus, but that's basically the extent of the difficulty. It's a JRPG, you don't roll for stats and there are no builds to do.

This is because I was really worried about releasing an extremely number heavy game in today's day and age because then nobody but the extremely tiny niche of people who like 1980s CRPGs would play it (so basically 20 people from RPGCodex and maybe 2 or 3 from /tg/ or /vr/). That's not to say I'm doing it entirely for the money, but if I can just make $10k in sales that's enough to support myself long enough to make another, better game.

I'm just so terrified by simplifying it, I'll have pushed away the original audience and the new audience will be ignorant enough to not see past the similarities it shares with Undertale, essentially leaving it in a vacuum of obscurity and negative opinions.

I've gotten positive responses from here on /v/ and /agdg/ before, but I just don't know anons. I just don't want to go back to washing dishes.
>>
>>324083925
It is, the post will be deleted in a few minutes, probably.
>>
>>324083962
>(near the end of the game you blow up the galaxy's "Meme Database")

You lost me, tumblr or reddit might like it though.
>>
File: JumpAndDashExample.gif (1MB, 319x241px) Image search: [Google]
JumpAndDashExample.gif
1MB, 319x241px
Go play my demo
http://coxyworthy.itch.io/superstock
>>
>>324084064
it's ironic post-meme commentary, there aren't actual meme references.
>>
>>324084191

>ironic post-meme commentary
>>
>>324084370
Think SA-style detached sarcasm, not "le epic DANK FROG MAY MAY 420 montage parody tip tip fedora le le le"
>>
>>324083784
Those textures seem a bit too glossy, but there's not much that can be told from such a small picture. Your lights are also all over the place and create weird chromatic aberration-like effects.
If you're trying to showcase texturework it's best to stick to neutral lights.
The diffuses themselves seem fine, but again, tiny picture.
>>324084121
How will I get my daily satisfaction then, if I can't see the people I've reported getting banned?
>>
>>324084097
I like it
>>
any shader magicians here?
>>
>>324084563
>SA-style detached sarcasm
The only thing I think of when I think of SA is "insecure white people trying so hard to show everyone how much they don't care about things that offend them."
>>
I want to prototype (meaning, without art and sounds) a tycoon game, more precisely a Kairosoft-like game..

Should I try Construct?
>>
>>324083815
>check it out
>latest images contains cp
K
>>
>>324084784
have you been living under a rock since 2010 or something

SA hasn't been tumblr-tier since GBS 2.0
>>
>>324084804

just use unity
>>
>>324084976
tumblr-tier SJW maybe not, but the whole "detatched sarcasm" thing is just obnoxious and try-hard and makes everyone sound like an insecure valleygirl.
>>
>>324083229
It's for referencing resources and database info.
I use it for controlling what files go out to classes as well as controlling strings that I might change. Basically I give a string a name "Level1SpeechText_NPC5_dialog4" and then I give it a value. The enum has that long name, then I load the actual value into memory and put it in a dictionary by that enum.

When I want it, they just use the enum and I can change it all I want in my database and have it reflected in the game.

Better example is something like "Yes"/"No"/"Confirm" which are used all over the place.
This also makes it super easy to stick a translation in because all you do is replace the dictionary's backing values and boom, the entire game is translated.
>>
>>324084837
Hardly. Way to get my hopes up.
>>
unity uses c# correct?
>>
>>324084097
Megaman Z?
>>
>>324085323
Unity uses boo fuckhead
>>
>>324085232
why are you not just using ScriptableObject asset files like a sane person?
>>
>>324085215
wew
>>
>>324085323
it's actually written in C++ but you can script it with C#, yes
>>
>>324084697
Maybe
>>
File: 2016-01-01-0714-25.webm (3MB, 1116x890px) Image search: [Google]
2016-01-01-0714-25.webm
3MB, 1116x890px
>>324083551
it follows a given target, in this case the other ship
>>
Where do you draw the line on too many usable powers? I'm trying to make a Mega-Man-X-like game with a wide range of usable weapons with melee/range/utility buttons and interchangable elements (close to what MMZ had going on), but having every boss supply a ranged and a melee attack and maybe a utility instead of one or the other, on top of an element might be confusing.
>>
>>324085596
how do you make waves in a water shader procedural? (no normal or heightmap involved)
>>
>undertale-likes
>>
>>324084097
Cool mechanic. It was pretty easy to get acquainted with it once I realised there are three jumps and two dashes that can be combined.
I think I've seen the whole level, there isn't an exit, right?
>>
>>324085437
>ScriptableObject
No idea what that is. Wrote it before I heard of it
>>
>>324067873
Cute.
>>
>>324086232
Nope! Just for dickin around in
>>
>>324085986
You mean a boss dropping three power-ups at once? Or a single power up that can be used from a range, does a different melee attack when you hit a distance threshold, and there are elements in the levels in which react to that attack?
>>
>>324086303
maybe you should learn the Unity API before you release useless crap on the asset store
>>
File: CRT Royale Pepe.png (931KB, 1000x970px) Image search: [Google]
CRT Royale Pepe.png
931KB, 1000x970px
>pixellated low res indie game
>no option for a CRT shader
>>
File: gameblindtest.webm (788KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
gameblindtest.webm
788KB, 1280x720px
Got a new debuff working. Hardest part was getting it to keep the strongest remaining effect active when one of them wears out.
>>
File: header.png (5KB, 512x128px) Image search: [Google]
header.png
5KB, 512x128px
made a header, tell me what you think about it
>>
>>324085437
>>324086303
My initial impression is that a scriptable object will have way too much overhead for most things
I'll keep looking, but this looks like just a regular object with values on it
>>
>>324086705
do you want an artist?
>>
>>324086704
>crt shader
>>
>>324086797
Got one already, thanks bro. Still nowhere near the point of starting to implement grafix anyway
>>
Talented storywriter here, looking for work.
>>
File: Capture.png (236KB, 261x563px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
236KB, 261x563px
I know at least one of you has to be making an H game
>>
>>324086420
As in, you beat the ice boss, you get the sword weapon they used for your melee slot, a three-way frontal projectile for the ranged slot, and an ice element. When you got to the boss that was weak to ice, you could change the element of your basic gun to ice if you prefer that weapon instead, and swap in a whip for melee if the sword wasn't to your liking.
>>
>>324087031

please anon

I beg you

src
>>
>>324086797

>>324086952 again. Would be interested in looking at your gallery or something now I think about it, just in case it doesn't pan out with my current one
>>
>>324087113
but it's futa
>>
>>324086781
a ScriptableObject that is serialized in an asset is basically just a YAML file. it's pretty straightforward and lightweight. all unity project settings are ScriptableObject assets actually. it's a hundred times easier to handle and causes less overhead than fucking 50 years old SQL
>>
>>324086971
>games
>story
>>
>>324085437
ScripatbleObjects only benefit is serialization
They do nothing besides that, and it's easier to build your own simple system for dealing with things then trying to force Unity's convoluted bullshit into your project
>>
>>324087439
>reinventing data storage in 2016
>>
>>324087234
>less overhead than fucking 50 years old SQL
overhead of that level isn't a problem on modern computers
And sqlite is lite as fuck
>>
right lads

imma start worked based off this tutorial most likely:

bases off the way the platformer looks/controls, what other games are similar to it (e.g. which ones can i rip off :^)), or what kind of game could you imagine it be like (potential mechanics, game flow, etc.)

thanks.

for me, it looks like it has that slightly float-y feel, so i might make something that's based off doing moves in mid air, like air-dashes etc. instead of your typical "pixel"/retro plat former. also feel like it would work hand in hand with a sword or some shit.

also im tired as fuck and cant come up with any ideas for a story/theme. i use robots as a crutch way too much in my past games 'cause it's too ez to use. if anyone can think of any other possible ideas (need story peeps here) then I'll gladly take any ideas, or a way to make muh robots more interesting.
>>
>>324087601
if it sells I'll brag about it so you'll know
>>
>>324087439
>Not Invented Here syndrome
>>
>>324086971
give a story taking in a dystopian future , like cyborg 1989, lots of blodds and violence
>>
>>324087062
Sounds a little interesting, but it strays away from the simple pick a shot type and roll with it, but now it is pick a shot type and an element. The problem with this could be that in Megaman you got certain weapons due to how effective they were on bosses due to how bosses behaved and how the weapon worked. You got powers that just shot straight into the air but were very effective against the boss not only in damage but they grooved with the bosses movement pattern as well.

With such a mechanic of switching out weapons and their elements that go with that weapon you will have the player possibly needing to go to two levels to make the ideal shot type to defeat a certain boss. You would have beaten 1/4th of the selectable levels by the time you can have a truly effective weapon against a boss.

In the original Megaman games it was instant. You beat one level, you had one power that you could now effectively use on one of the other bosses, you just had to figure out what the best route would be.

That is my opinion on it. I like that the powers that the boss drops is more than just a single skill but can have two skills attached to it.
>>
>>324087765
plain text files are even liter, fag
>>
>>324087875

With work I mean getting paid, not giving away a good story for free. But cyber punk with a lot of violence is something i can do.
>>
>Coding in anything besides C99
>>
>>324079136
All of the tracks you posted have at least one instrument that plays too loud and drowns everything else imo. Pretty cool stuff otherwise.
>>
>>324086971
here's some work for you, learn to program
>>
>>324087113
anasheya

he/she is a whiny bitch though and sometimes ragequites or changes his name and wipes his history. suffers from sameface too
>>
>>324087062
When I first read it I thought you meant each weapon would have a separate melee, range, and utility function.
But yeah, that would be cool, though I could see it getting a little overwhelming. Vile Mode in Maverick Hunter had a similar 'three weapon per boss' thing, but you had to choose a setup at the mission start and stick with it.
If you're looking for ways to streamline it, I have a couple ideas for you. There's the multi-function weapon thing, or you could have each element as an item (like ice shard, hot ember, tesla coil, etc,) that give you a different weapon/effect based on what slot it's equipped in. And from there you could either let items be equipped to multiple slots (like ice shard as melee and element, with ember as ranged and utility) or restricted to one slot each so the player has to weigh their options.
>>
File: globbal.png (3KB, 64x64px) Image search: [Google]
globbal.png
3KB, 64x64px
>>324077081
Rough art, but I need to get back to my own game. Here's a fat thing with a tongue.

Loving your progress btw! Keep it up :D
>>
>>324088157

Or instead I could do what I want, what I'm good at, and not listen to people pretending to know jack shit about the business and the way it works?

Here's one for you, you're good at something, people want it, you sell it
>>
>>324088261
Whoops, should have made that a little bigger.
>>
>>324087765
this is how you get really really slow games anon

SQL isn't suitable for games
>>
File: islandcamp3.jpg (831KB, 1890x1013px) Image search: [Google]
islandcamp3.jpg
831KB, 1890x1013px
>>
>>324088121
hmm, what do you say about $1000 a month? you interested?
>>
>>324070323
Another anon

I'm the Crash Bandicoot Ripoff anon
>>
>>324088173
>shoujo eyes including their shitty billboarding perspective mixed in with the western faux-anime style
How horrible.
>>
>>324088386
Sure, if you decide to load from it

The script generates files from it. Not at run time, that's retarded.
The way I do it is generate plaintext and just load that into memory since I also let the user override some things with a plaintext file if they'd like to, so the functionality is already there

It takes all of 15 milliseconds to do. So much downtime, so many frames lost, and a whole 1 MB of ram taken up. Game is basically dead in the water because of it.
>>
>>324088486

I can finish a story for a game in less than a month.
>>
>>324088412
anon, unity gives you PBR for free. at least use it
>>
>>324088173

Thanks brother.
>>
File: patutap.png (4KB, 336x240px) Image search: [Google]
patutap.png
4KB, 336x240px
>>324075641
I remember you posted your bestiary and it gave me a stupid idea
>>
>>324088261
>>324088362
Oh damn that's good. I'll have to dumb it down because it else looks out of place.
But thanks, I'll see what I can do with it!
>>
>>324088412
what is this far cry
>>
>>324088820
Not him but that's pretty cool.
>>
>>324088830

please, rate my work.

>>324083682
>>
File: patuutap.gif (691KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
patuutap.gif
691KB, 960x540px
>>324088820
Actually.. that was the idea of the creatures.

But I gotta say I fucking love your design!
>>
>>324076932
>>324075458
Oh man, I remember seeing you post the first versions of that sprite with animations months ago. You posted your email address as I had a few things I wanted to ask you, but I lost it and then the archive died. Could you post your email again?
>>
>>324089075
>rixels
>>
>>324069476
i love this skeleton.
>>
>>324089118
What's that mean?
>>
>>324089118
>>324089075
>mixels
>>
>>324089291
it means that you are a dirty emo hipster
>>
>torn between pixels and regularly drawn junk in photoshop
Do I go for a retro look or a well-drawn look?
>>
>>324089075
Well that's pretty cool. Other anon's design looks like a more malicious version, or some kind of finished fusion.
>>324089581
Whichever you're better at.
>>
>>324089581
I personally don't like the photoshop look. I don't even care if it is 8-bit indie graphic shit.
>>
>>324089291
Pixels that can move diagonally. Pic related. I think they're fine and like 100% of everything looks worse without them, but that's just my opinion; if you can avoid rotating things altogether though, that's even better, as you can maintain the illusion that pixelshit games make without making sprites that look like jumbled garbage.
Mixels though, as it pixels overlaying each other creating weird non-pixely shapes, mixels are actually shit and can be easily avoided, and should.
>>
File: mordhau.jpg (423KB, 1919x1199px)
mordhau.jpg
423KB, 1919x1199px
Legit dev here, Unity is shit compared to UE4. Shit's cash.

If anyone feels like humoring my shill, here's proof. Recently brought this game from Unity to UE4, shit's much better

http://mordhau.com/
>>
>>324088486

Can I have your steam ID? I'd like to add you, and talk about the possibilities.
>>
>>324089810
As long as it won't turn to complete shit like chivalry did, then I'm all for it, anon
>>
>>324089731
Ah, alright. Yeah I can see where that'd bug people, but at least anon's gifs look good.
>>
File: SCAN0050.jpg (1MB, 1220x1901px) Image search: [Google]
SCAN0050.jpg
1MB, 1220x1901px
>>324079136
I found you when you posted about perpetua and have been listening ever since. Your work is godly, simply put. Even tried making a boss design based off of K.I.N.G. I'd love to work with you if I ever get around to designing a game!
>>
>>324051951
agdg is a shit hole where if you actually get to the point where you have a releasable game that has the potential to succeed, everyone there will backstab you out of jealousy and envy.
>>
File: sfa3sprites.png (25KB, 328x413px) Image search: [Google]
sfa3sprites.png
25KB, 328x413px
>>324089581
Well-drawn if you can manage it but the thing is, well-drawn usually doesn't look good; see Scribblenauts.
I think it's a shame that more games don't go for just detailed sprites, like pic related(Street Fighter Alpha 3).
>>
>>324089291
>>
>>324089810
No shit.
>>
File: armyr.png (19KB, 45x45px) Image search: [Google]
armyr.png
19KB, 45x45px
>>324077081
>>
File: rixels.png (8KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
rixels.png
8KB, 400x200px
>>324089731
>>324090070
forgot pic, fuck
>>
>>324090248
>it's a shame more [indie/low budget] games don't go for literally the most difficult art style
>>
File: not.png (8KB, 136x164px) Image search: [Google]
not.png
8KB, 136x164px
>>324090342

I couldn't resist
>>
>>324090264
>>324090342

/r/ing rix mixie
>>
>>324090383
Seems like as long as the art is done in that style, it shouldn't be that hard. I think the difficulty lies in when you've already drawn shit and then you have to recreate it in that style. I mean, you could just use MSPaint zoomed in to 2x or 4x with a drawing tablet right?
Given I don't know how to make sprites. But I assume that's the basic concept; just regular drawings, condensed down to a grid of pixels
>>
>>>/f/3000197

Heres a real early version of a flash game im working on with some pals, plan on posting more recent versions every friday.
>>
>>324059670
this chinese forum is full of ideas guys, they are all scum dipshits but hey, ideas dont come for free
>>
>>324090601
Other part of it is that you posted a picture of a bunch of sprites.

Next animate them.

Not only that but some of those indie developers are one man teams and they simply don't possess that sort of skill or time for such things, none-the-less already setting up the game mechanics, level design, music, and so forth.
>>
>>324050851

Anyone having issues with last Unity build on Android ?
I have a project where roughly there are 116 sprites next to each others, so no depth. And a UI with panels and text and buttons.
But on my Android tablet, I have really shitty performance. The game logic isn't running, and Camera.Render and Canvas.Sendwillrendercanvases are eating up all the ms.
>>
>>324090853
True. It definitely takes a team, with at least a couple good artists/animators. I still feel like it could be done more often than it is though.
>>
File: SkullHat.jpg (157KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
SkullHat.jpg
157KB, 450x450px
>>324089123
Thankyou!
>>
>>324050851
>tfw want to make game
>tfw too fucking lazy to work on it
just the idea of working on anything makes me not want to do it

kind of want to dig out my old GM sprite-scaling engine and update it to GM:Studio standards (it was made for GM5.3) and make a classic Sega-style rail shooter though, like Space Harrier or Galaxy Force II
>>
>>324091083
>sprite-scaling engine
>>
File: height.webm (3MB, 904x424px) Image search: [Google]
height.webm
3MB, 904x424px
Is it wrong that I find more fun in tinkering around in generators than actually making new features.
>>
>>324091179
yeah
specifically for shit that'd look like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5wDl1gcs2E
or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoGaj2HnVUI

except I can't do art that looks nearly that good of course
>>
any good sprite artist here?

i'm looking for new sprite artists for the team
check my tumblr for the email

http://victorstk.tumblr.com/
>>
>>324091241
Depends on one's definition of rights and wrongs.
If for you it's wrong to enjoy yourself without making actual progress, then yes.
I say try to find the best balance.
What are you trying to do with that generator?
>>
>>324087898
Don't get me wrong, I believe that should still be a factor, where you could beat a boss fast by knowing that you could just use the default weakness/weapon combination, but being able to go a bit slower on what you're more comfortable with and still being able to complete the stage in a satisfying manner. .

>>324088204
Well, the original idea was to have each boss only give either a ranged or melee plus element, but balancing weapons is what's giving me problems. Utility functions throw off the balance because there is no good functions for some weapons, you could block with a shield, or grapple hook with a whip, but what would could a missile or laser do beside break specific blocks?
>>
File: 51402_front.jpg (56KB, 593x418px)
51402_front.jpg
56KB, 593x418px
>>324073781
Terranigma
>>
File: flashing.png (2MB, 1218x868px) Image search: [Google]
flashing.png
2MB, 1218x868px
Man if only UE4 supported C# or something that isn't C++.
Anyway, made some assets, here's a crappy test shot.
>>
>>324091540
Trying to go for a Stranded type of feel but with generated cube land with proper model objects and tools.
>>
>>324091558
All that I am pointing it out is that such satisfaction of defeating a boss quick due to knowing a good combination can be delayed by an additional level due to this system thus not rewarding the player for experimenting with the power-ups which seems like an integral mechanic to the game.

So it won't be until the third stage that the player can really start to experiment with the mechanics. Think about that with any other game, or just Megaman. You get a power-up, but you need to beat another level to really unlock its potential, but you have already beaten two of the eight robot masters already, and it isn't even guaranteed that the two you defeated will give you the sort of combination you need to rip through any of the other six bosses thus almost putting you back at square one.
>>
>>324091423

so basically sprites that are located in 3D space but always face the camera

you should probably use Unity or some other 3D engine because there is support for that out of the box
>>
>not making a great family friendly game with a QT female protagonist and sell it on Steam or whatever
>at least one month later, release a complete game overhaul porn mod anonymously
>as the dev, claim it wasn't you
>>
>>324091423
God damn that soundtrack on Galaxy Force.
>>
File: Remnant_comparison.png (4KB, 192x96px) Image search: [Google]
Remnant_comparison.png
4KB, 192x96px
Which one do you guys think looks better?
>>
>>324091241
I figure having fun fucking around is a good sign since it can mean a fun game.
>>
>>324092585
I like the colors of the right better, but I like the art of the left better...
>>
>>324092585
Niether. But they both look better when they're next to each other.
>>
>>324092585
Left due to the angle it is facing. Just looks more interesting due to it.
>>
File: some tasty binary.png (8KB, 955x535px) Image search: [Google]
some tasty binary.png
8KB, 955x535px
>>324090264 >>324090342
Admittedly the rixels are more tolerable imo, but in any case you're better off just not doing either on the jumpmans.
In the case of anon's game, I'd say the binary pixels makes it look pretty good in action and still. But I'd also totally make the separates of the Patu/utap line up directly when they're attached.
>>
There is nothing wrong with rotating pixels. Freedom Planet would have benefited from it.
>>
Is there such a thing as a minimalist 3D engine?
>>
New thread, migrate if you want. This one is gonna sink soon.
>>324093242
>>324093242
>>324093242
>>324093242
>>
>>324092585
I would go left, but mostly because I'm a sucker for that perspective.
>>
>>324093061
nah
Thread posts: 515
Thread images: 96

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.