[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 21

File: 1503081554856.jpg (844KB, 1200x1504px) Image search: [Google]
1503081554856.jpg
844KB, 1200x1504px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54938267

Tell me about your party.
>>
>>54944591
A ragtag group of fucking badass motherfuckers
>>
First for elf butts.
>>
>>54944618
First for gnome butts
>>
>>54944525
>Bards and Druids are actual, legit jobs tho
Sure. Some armies have "rangers," some people may describe themselves as "clerics," and some might describe others as "barbarians."
But there's no one-to-one correlation between what's called x in the rules and what's called x in-setting. Not everyone with the druid class is part of the druidic religious system. Not everyone with the bard class is a traveling historian/minstrel. Conversely, not every traveling historian/minstrel has the exact set of skills that makes up the bard class.
Army rangers can be rogues or fighters. Characters with the ranger class can be scouts, foresters, guardians of civilizations, pirates, mercenaries, or lot of other professions/walks of life.
In the end of t he day, classes are just statblocks. Especially with the emphasis on refluffing features, any class can be used for a wide variety of characters.

>>54944573
>What about wizards.
What about them? A wizard can be a scholar, a hedge mage, a king's magical advisor, a tribal shaman, or any number of things that enable him to do magic in a relatively systematic way. Since you can even refluff your spellbook, there's nothing about the wizard statblock that strongly implies anything about your character's life, except that they use magic in a versatile way.
>>
The party is a lizardfolk ranger who breaks out in hives at the mere mention of the word diplomacy, a rock gnome alchemist who keeps stealing all of the mechanisms from every trap we encounter, and an aven monk who constantly spouts in-character quotes with questionable relevance
>>
File: IMG_1811.jpg (18KB, 189x266px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1811.jpg
18KB, 189x266px
>>54944618
First for halfling faces
>>
>>54944634
Nah man, I'm explicitly telling you, you go to Bard School to get your Bard diploma and a Bard Title along with, if you're valedictorian, your Instrument of the Bards of the appropriate school.

It's like, I'm sure you can learn enough sound technician to become just as proficient a performer as a musician who took a performance arts degree, but that doesn't take away from the explicit meaning of his title
>>
>>54944591

An Earth pony paladin who is the nicest guy in the world

A lecherous dragon alcoholic barbarian who is seeking vengeance against his former owners

A spunky crossbow fighter pegasus who just wants to do the right thing

A selfish unicorn sorcerer who ran away from home seeking answers, and instead found something to fight for

I wouldn't be surprised if any of the players or the DM were in here.
>>
>>54944641
Are your halflings fat or lithe?
>>
>>54944591
>Tell me about your party.
A dragonborn paladin that recently stopped worshiping an evil god to follow Bahamut.
An aarakocra rogue that prefers to stay out of the way.
A human barbarian that loves battle.
A half-elf bard that has thinly-veiled contempt for the rest of the party's shenanigans.
And a dragonborn wizard that is doesn't know how to mind his own business.
>>
>>54944693
>>/mlp/
>>
>>54944691
Depends on the setting, friendo.
>>
>>54944591
>Human Paladin on a vision quest after foreseeing a great evil
>Changeling Fiend Warlock with tyrannical ambitions unknown by he party
>Dragonborn Champion down on his luck after he got fired from his job as a sailor, now working as a mercenary for the Changeling
>Half-elf Arcane Trickster who recently had to flee from her gang after being caught stealing from a fellow gang member so she could afford food, also now a mercenary for the Changeling
>Dragonborn Sorceror who wants to uncover the mysteries of the world, and is tagging along with the party so unravel said mysteries on their adventures
>>
>>54944691
I'm not saying for example that you need to be a convicted felon to apply to the Thief archetype, I'm just saying if someone goes around saying "oh my God this guy is choking, we need a doctor", they probably that doesn't mean they want an envyromental engineer Refluffed as a spatula
>>
File: 1500486853517.jpg (40KB, 721x960px) Image search: [Google]
1500486853517.jpg
40KB, 721x960px
>>54944591
>tfw will be leading a classical-style D&D game set on the Sword Coast, mainly in Neverwinter and in Icewind Dale, reliving your childhood nostalgia of PC games and R.A Salvatore books

This is a glorious feel
>>
>>54944591
A half-elf swashbuckler trying to make a name for himself.
A human bard wanting to learn all of the songs that the world holds.
A goliath paladin out to destroy evil and trying to not be a complete asshole while doing it.
A half-elf wizard seeking hidden and lost knowledge.
A drow cleric trying to change her ways.
A halfling ranger who's there only to keep an eye on his friends.
>>
>>54944793
Sounds bad. Neverwinter is dumb and the Salvatore books are retarded and full of plot holes and retreading the same character arcs.
>>
>>54944773
>I'm just saying if someone goes around saying "oh my God this guy is choking, we need a doctor", they probably that doesn't mean they want an envyromental engineer Refluffed as a spatula
This is the most creative strawman I've seen in a while
>>
>>54944755
That's a non answer. Depending on the setting all classes are called Odd Freddy and being a ginger is punishable by death.

Traditionally, historically even, a Bard or a Druid is a rather distinct job, like plumber or barber.

If you say "Oh I'm not the Tanner, I'm just the guy that takes in game to curate hide in exchange for goods and services" at some point you're the fucking tanner.
>>
>>54944852
You sound upset, anon. Stop being upset about things.

Seriously why you so angry
>>
>>54944873
You are on 4chan friend, some people will be angry no matter what
>>
>>54944873
>angry_about_elves.jpg
>>
>>54944865
He's saying in D&D you could use the rules and abilities for classes but call them something else in game. The game world might not even have a word for "Bard".
>>
File: IMG_1812.png (79KB, 426x382px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1812.png
79KB, 426x382px
>>54944895
>>
>>54944865
>Traditionally, historically even, a Bard or a Druid is a rather distinct job, like plumber or barber.
In D&D, a bard is someone who inspires others and creates magic through art. I'll bet you literally anything that the majority of D&D players who create bard characters are not part of any sort of formal "bard college."
Basically the same for druids, except I won't make that bet because it's possible people still treat them as members of an "old faith." But there are definitely thousands of druid characters that talk to animals and cast spells and wild shape but are not official priests of anything.
>>
>>54944873
There's not a thing in there that suggests any kind of emotion. Not even a throw away insult. Sounds like you're projecting.
>>
File: AngryAboutElves.png (387KB, 358x529px) Image search: [Google]
AngryAboutElves.png
387KB, 358x529px
>>54944895
>>
>>54944969
>bad
>dumb
>retarded
>not throwaway insults

ok, chum
>>
They are all dicks except my character
>>
How does your setting use the Bard College of Whispers? Are they a secret college that meets outside of an actual college? Are there Whispers college buildings like normal? Are they just the shady people that go to a different college?
>>
>>54944693
>>>/mlp/
Th-Thanks, I try my best to be nice
>>
>>54944985
All of which are directed at things wholly unrelated to you.

Now do you really want to sit down and think about who's upset?
>>
>>54944953
I am not disagreeing with that. Your argument becomes even more obvious when it comes for example to multiclass, as there ain't nobody going around introducing themselves as " Mr Paladin 3/Warlock 2".
And it's not universal either. Clerics for example are absolutely not (necessarily) Priests.

I'm saying conventionally, in some cases, if you go down to the pub and ask for the nearest Bard, it is entirely expectable to think you are going to be referred towards a Bard, with straight up Bard powers, and not a random dudebro in a booth who just learned how to play Wonder Wall.
(Even if that guy actually has secretly 26 levels in Barbarian)
>>
>>54945039
I'm not even that guy, friendo. Still sounds like
>stop liking what I don't like
any way you look at it.
>>
>>54945069
That still doesn't mean anyone is upset or angry.
>>
If i wanted to make game where magic is art, rather than science and convert make all caster spontaneous caster - like sorcerers, who know what they know and don't change it every day. What would be good way to compensate preparation casters?

Obviously, they will get lvl+stat spells known, which is already more, but i feel i should add something more. Maybe not counting rituals into the amount?
>>
>>54944997
You sound biased, but I guess any amount of that guys is theoretically possibal
>>
Good d&d podcasts? Found "D&d is for Nerds" and "Bards and Nobles" in the other thread, looking for more to steal shit from.
>>
>>54945116
Bard players shouldn't DM.
>>
>>54945116
You do know that Art comes from relentlessly studying practicing for years right?

Arcana means literally "The Art"
>>
>>54945116
>compensate
Just drop wizards altogether, or let them pick 2 schools and they have all the spells from those lists all the time.
>>
>>54945052
I'll grant you that with bards there's a higher correlation between the class name and the in-universe profession name of those that have that class. My original point was that "which class has the most RP potential?" is an ill-informed question because your class does not necessarily inform anything about your character in-game.
>>
Planning on doing a time loop/ groundhog's day scenario. Anyone have experience or suggestions running something like that?

The day culminates in a murder of a specific NPC that the players are already on their way to meet.
>>
>>54945161
I'm getting beguiler flashbacks
This is not a bad thing
>>
File: pleaseendme.png (1MB, 787x695px) Image search: [Google]
pleaseendme.png
1MB, 787x695px
My newer episode of getting fucked by insane DM:
5 lv3 x 3 displacer beasts and 2 helm horrors
Will updated you guys
>>
>>54945176
Use the fibonacci sequence to count how many times they've run through the scenario, and change the world around them accordingly once the thing is finished.
>>
>>54944693
Sounds fun, anon.
>>
>>54945146
Should i tell my DM to stop DMing, then? I think he might be hurt by such suggestion.

>>54945155
Obviously, but it is something you need to 'feel' - there are parts of it, that you can't really describe and share directly. You can show others way, but they must walk the path themselv.

Didn't know that about the Arcana - i thought it means something like "mystery".
>>
>>54945230
It's been pretty good, running Strahd and basically making a lot of friends. Just waiting for them all to stab us in the back.
>>
>>54945192
How the fuck are 5 level 3s gonna get through 3 CR3s and 2 CR4s that all have at least 60hp, resistance to all your magic and mundane damage?
I don't care if you have all you're all Paladins with all your spell slots you can't burst more than two of them down at best.
>>
>>54945212
niggawut
>>
>>54944591
I DM for:

A human wild magic sorc who washed out of wizard school and ran away from his adopted elven father in shame.

A human totem barbarian who left the town she grew up in as a guardswoman because a bunch of mage contractors came by and built a wall.

A human vengeance paladin and member of an order of knights with a metal stake stuck in his head by a fiend which causes him to hallucinate and is being manipulated into evil by it.

An aasimar inquisitor rogue born from a divine-soldier-breeding-program who managed to escape from her home before being forced to fight undead.

So yeah, that's fun.
>>
>>54945271
That's exactly why I'm posting about it, friend.
>>
>>54942008#
>>54942016#
Yes, this is the one of the awesome things of 5e, say you drop the first target but you've already spent ki to make those further unarmed attacks can you make them instead at another target?
>>
Anyone have DM maps for Tales? The trove has maps but they aren't numbered etc.
>>
>>54945271
But how can you tell the DM has them use MM hitpoint values? I tweak shit all the time personally.
>>
What happened to D&D? What happened to scrappy adventurers going into holes and killing monsters? Why is everything a goddamn epic story that no one will ever finish?
>>
>>54944793
Sounds fun, mate. Would play.

>>54944852
Just let them have their fun, why are you this severely autistic?
>>
>>54945286

Day 1 is day 1
Day 2 is day 2
Day 3 is day 3
Day 3 is 5
Day 4 is 8
Day 5 is 13
Day 6 is 21
etc etc

Then whenever they get out of the time warp bubble, all that time has passed in the real world.
>>
>>54945192

Who's the dwarf?
>>
>>54945354
Niggawat?
>>
>>54945380
How many times do you expect them to play through the same content?
>>
>>54945323
Yep

>>54945339
>Implying my party doesn't delve into dungeons and murder their inhabitants for treasure
D&D is alive and well, my friend.
>>
>>54945376
Dwarf Nature Cleric
the lion headed guy is a Human Bear Barbarian
Genasi Immortal Mystic
Half-Elf Lore Bard
Halfling Assassin Rogue
>>
>>54945339
>What happened to D&D? What happened to scrappy adventurers going into holes and killing monsters?
This is still a thing. There's also this thing called Tales from the Yawning Portal, guess what you do in those adventures.

>Why is everything a goddamn epic story that no one will ever finish?
This is a thing too, depending on the players and DM.
We're playing Out of the Abyss because we're really liking the overarching story but it's also being a series of bouts of killing monsters, and surviving by the skin of our teeth.

You should try playing instead of going full autistic.
>>
>>54945393
Niggawut?
>>
>>54945339
My group does both. Why settle for less?
>>
>>54944591
I'm the DM in a full homebrew setting that started off as an homage to Eternia (pulpy 80's action, swords and wizards and lazer guns) and was going to have a strong focus on being stuck outside of civilization for extended periods of time but my ADD-riddled players who started out on board with the idea ended up preferring to just fast-track to the next encounter / plot point.
>>
>>54945354
That's an interesting approach, but I highly doubt we're gonna have to do this more than a few reps. I was even thinking of giving them an indicator somehow (like marks on their body or an item they find at the beginning of the loop) that counts down X times until the loop breaks. X being < 8
>>
>>54945161
Thanks for input, both ideas sound very viable!
>>
>>54945414
But anon, Tales from the Yawning Portal are just rereleases of old adventures, trying to sucker people in using nostalgia exactly like out of the abyss, storm king's thunder and tomb of annihilation do/did
>>
>>54945528
Do you get mad when bands put out Greatest Hits collections too?
>>
>>54945528
Considering 80% of all threads include posts like "how do I convert [module] to 5e?" I'd say that's probably not a bad thing.
>>
>>54945339
What is Tales from the Yawning Portal, autist. At least make an effort not to be a fucking retard.
>>
>>54945528
But you play as scrappy adventurers going into holes and killing monsters. Which means that that anon's assertion that D&D has changed for the worse in any direction is blatantly false and disingenuous.
It really sounded like severe autism.
>>
>>54945337
Because that's the default assumption?
>>
>>54945544
But outside of White Plume, none of these are good modules. and even then, white plume is notable only because it's "tomb of horrors but not retarded"
>>
>>54945627
They were and are well liked. They're greatest hits for a reason.
>>
>>54945627
>t. Stop liking what I don't like!
>>
>>54945544
>>54945538
>>54945596
>>54945549
People ask for conversions of modules all the time, but that doesn't change the fact that 5e has not produced anything of value, with everything being either a rerelease of an older property, derivative of an older property, or entirely original and completely shit.

Tyranny of Dragons: Original, but complete shit.
Princes of the Apocalypse: A ripoff of The Temple of Elemental Evil
Out of the Abyss: A ripoff of Queen of the Spiders
Curse of Strahd: An "updated rerelease" of Castle Ravenloft
Storm King's Thunder: A ripoff of Against the Giants (which strangely enough, got rereleased in Tales from the Yawning Portal. Did they think no one would notice...?)
Tomb of Annihilation: A ripoff of Tomb of Horrors

5e needs to create something wholly original, as nostalgia can only keep people going for so long before they move onto something else.
>>
>>54945642
>for a reason
Memes, in the case of ToH, and "well 20 guys with a Dragon magazine subscription said they liked this one they never played based on the review by this guy, so it must be a classic".
>>
>>54945698
Have you actually played through those modules or do you like shooting your mouth off with no basis?
>>
Does Barbarian/Druid sound like a good multiclass combo? I feel like Reckless Attack and Rage work well with a Moon Druid throwing animal forms and disposable HP into melee, although I feel like the words "weapon attack" in the description of Rage might trip me up.
>>
Similar to the Terrain Encounters table in Out of the Abyss, can you guys help me compile a list of events/encounters a party might run into while infiltrating an enemy camp? It's a big camp, and there should be a slight margin of error regarding stealth for the players (meaning a failed stealth roll doesn't mean instant game over). Not trying to make it Big Boss European Extreme.

Stuff like:

> A large dog has caught the parties' scent and won't leave you alone. (DC10 Animal Handling)
> Just out of sight is a well-manicured patrol on the lookout. He seems to be looking in your direction. (DC14 Stealth).
> 2 patrols seem to be converging on the players' position from different directions. It doesn't seem like they've spotted them yet...
> Players find the grain storage suspiciously empty.
> The party finds themselves at the animal cage. One of the beasts has spotted the adventurers, and begins to sniff around amorously. (DC14 Animal Handling)
> The players find the barracks, and catch 4 of them asleep.
> The guards are alerted that someone was seen slinking around the camp, and everyone is on guard. (Stealth checks made in the next 1 minute are made with disadvantage)
>>
>casting two spells in a turn
>stacking temp hp
>no concentration checks
>don't use feature of beasts despite describing them
I'm gonna bail
>>
>>54945698
I've been playing D&D for 9 years now and I hadn't played a module until just this year. I like that 5e is easier to get into, and I'm glad the old stuff is being converted by the company so I can try it out now that I have an interest in it.
>>
>>54945730
Natural weapons are still weapons
>>
>>54945720
Of course he hasn't fucking played them all, if he had he wouldn't be shitposting on a troll board, because it would mean he has friends and spends his free time productively instead of shitposting on a troll board
>>
>>54945734
>casting two spells in a turn

You can do this just fine.
>>
>>54945730
Yeah, they're a great combo. Barb offensive and defensive powers work great with wild shape.
>>
>>54945705
Dragon magazine went to a few thousand more customers than that www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?222703-Dragon-Magazine-Circulation
But good on you for making up numbers.

The other adventures were released stand alone and were actually good to be as popular as they were.
>>
>>54945770
Bonus action spell and action cantrip are the only way to do that if I remember right.
>>
>>54945790
Yep
>A spell cast with a bonus action is especially swift. You must use a bonus action on Your Turn to cast the spell, provided that you haven’t already taken a bonus action this turn. You can’t cast another spell during the same turn, except for a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action.
>>
>>54945755
This is harsh but fair.
>>
>>54945720
Out of the things I've listed, my group never finished Tyranny of Dragons. We finished Princes of the Apocalypse and Out of the Abyss, and the group is currently in the final act of Storm King's Thunder. We didn't play Curse of Strahd though. I just want Wizards to release an original property, like how they released Eberron at the beginning of 3.5's life cycle. All 5e has released so far is derivative and unoriginal.
>>
>>54945698
PotA and ToEE have very little in common, aside from Moathouse / Rivergard and the notion of a temple itself being full of four different cults.

We may as well say any module that heavily features undead is derivative of every other because "oh there's a hole in the ground with zombies and an evil wizard"
>>
What are some rare animals I can give to an exotic animal salesman?

I'm making some random encounter tables, and he's on my list of "unusual non combat encounters"

Already have an elephant and a pseudodragon (still need to figure out what it'd cost) and for less useful but still kind of odd to own as a pet - a ferret, a red fox, a lizard, a large snake. Other ideas?
>>
>>54945857
Think of an animals in the zoo. Then realize that pretty much none of them are indigenous to ye olde England.
>>
>>54945798
I'm talking about 2 leveled spells you double nigger and you knew it
>>
>>54945857
A tressym. Everybody loves flappy cats
>>
>>54945813
Out of the Abyss is not derivative or unoriginal and neither is Storm King's Thunder.
Out of the Abyss is unlike Queen of Spiders at all, which you would've realised if you actually played through either. Same for your comparisons to SKT and against the giants.

Why did you shoot your mouth off with a comparison for Curse of Strahd if you haven't actually played through it?
>>
>>54945857
A motherfucking Aurumvorax.
>>
>>54945857
An empty cage labeled "fox". Foxes don't actually exist in dungeons and dragons, despite everyone knowing what they look like
>>
>>54945813
3e was 4 years old before Eberron came out. 3.5e was a relatively minor update to the system in the grand scheme of things. And considering next year will probably see 5e going away from Forgotten Realms... that's 4 years for original stuff for 5e as well.
>>
>>54944591
Non-druid Wild West tree-huggers, with a midget bard and giant barbarian.
>>
>>54945883
Fuck why aren't these in the MM
>>
>>54945869
Neither are cows or chickens (as we know them), if you wanna go way far back.
>>
>>54945880
Curse of Strahd was designed by Chris Perkins as an updated rerelease of Castle Ravenloft. He said so in every interview related to the product. I think the writer would know best about the property he's writing.

>>54945899
>>54945899
But 5e isn't going to create anything new next year. They're going to rerelease Eberron or Planescape or Dark Sun, hence the addition of Artificers and Mystics.
>>
>>54945909
Because they have to print the fucking things eventually, and they're not going to make it as thick as a damn World Encyclopedia.

At some point you have to be creative yourself
>>
>>54945804
It's what I love about 4chan over reddit.

Newfag, but I already feel so much better here. People say what they mean and don't mince words, it's great.
>>
>>54945872
You can still do that via Sorcerer.
>>
>>54945238
>Didn't know that about the Arcana - i thought it means something like "mystery".

you're right

>arcana (n.) "hidden things, mysteries," 1590s, a direct adoption of the Latin plural of arcanum "a secret, a mystery," an important word in alchemy, from neuter of adjective arcanus "secret, hidden, private, concealed" (see arcane).
>>
>>54945968
No.
>>
>>54945910
We're going to ye olde England, not Paleolithic WedontevenhaveanamefortheislandbeforetheCeltsandBritannia.
>>
>>54945968
The only way to cast two non-cantrip spells in one turn is by multiclassing into fighter and using Action Surge.
>>
Why would you want to be able to cast two leveled spells in a turn anyway? Wizards are already powerful enough.
>>
>>54945946
>they're not going to make it as thick as a damn World Encyclopedia.
I really wish they had, though.
>>
>>54945933
>going to rerelease Eberron or Planescape or Dark Sun
I don't see a problem with this.
Call me when Mystara comes back, though.
>>
>>54946061
The problem is that they're actively not creating anything new because they realize that modern gamers are idiots that will buy things entirely because of nostalgia.
>>
What can players find in a hunter hut?
also name for the generic town and inn at the start of curse of strahd?
>>
I FUCKING HATE WEST MARCHES GAMES
>>
>>54946122
Neat
>>
>>54946077
To be fair that's not just gamers, that's everyone.
>>
>>54945869
>>54946004
"The Old England"?
>>
>>54946077
you're damn right i'll buy shit because nostalgia
>>
>>54946122
I keep seeing that. What's a West Marches game?
>>
>>54946077
>>54945528
>>54945698
>nostalgia
I have no idea what y'all are talking about. Most people who play these modules have never seen a 2nd Edition playbook. You have to realize most people in the hobby right now are relatively new to it and are approaching these adventures as something unfamiliar and exciting.
It might be lazy (that's up for debate) but it's definitely not banking on nostalgia.
>>
>>54946099
>Hunter's hut
Supplies for hunting - snares, arrows, knives, flint and steel, bedroll, but for luring game, a vibrator, some furs, some smoked meat and other food that lasts a long time.
>>
>>54944591
>An Aarakocra monk who's dead set on amassing a goblin army
>A wildshaping Half-elf ranger who likes to fuck over everyone he meets
>A half orc Barbarian/Fighter who just wants to party.
>>
>>54946165
>but
Bait. Oops
>>
>>54946077
We're still rolling d20s instead of having moved on to better RPG systems. I enjoy many of the extant settings we have and would like to see them more fully explored and detailed, or adventures placed in areas that were previously ignored. We can talk about how nice it would be to have a setting other than Forgotten Realms because "it's so boring", but FR is fucking huge and 99% of all modules take place in the same few areas.

How about we go back to the Bloodstone Lands? Al-Qadim? Throw some Red Steel into Maztica? No one's ever written shit about Osse or Katashaka, and they're each nearly the size of Faerun (which is limited to the Sword Coast region, Cormyr, and Thay). What's going on in Anchorome? We can go back to Ama and Malatra if it's not too weeby for everyone.
>>
>>54946165
>a vibrator
/k/ pls go
>>
>>54946077
What new and original setting would you like to see in 5E? Be specific.
>>
if I want to use the command spell to force a disguised creature to drop it's magical disguise, which word would I use?
>>
>>54946211
Don't tell me what to do
>>
>>54946228
Something I haven't seen before, preferably.
>>
>>54946165
help, I'm dying
>>
>>54946231
Dispell maybe. Hmm... Unmask?
>>
>>54946231
Show? Reveal? Expose? Of course, they could interpret that differently and strip
>>
>>54944591
>Adevnturers' "party"
>Drow
I hope they planned to kill him after finishing the goblinbs...
>>
>>54946228
underwater
>>
>>54946231
Unglamour.
>>
>>54946255
>>54946281
Thanks, I'm gonna use that to out a doppelganger that I identified but my party doesn't know about.
>>
>>54945933
With creative input from Tracy Hickman in a consultancy role.
They did tweak it with the addition of new and interesting content, not sure how you would still say it's just an updated rerelease. That's disingenuous.
Actually read through or play through Curse of Strahd before making assumptions and shooting your mouth off.
>>
A goblin druid, shunned by his people for being too ugly even for them. A middle aged arcane trickster who claims to just be in it for the money, despite his heart of gold. A fierce barbarian expelled from her tribe for reasons unknown to the rest of the group. They're played by my brother, my father, and my mother, respectively.
>>
>>54945986
>>54946005
Quickened Spell you retards.
>>
>>54946260
Maybe its the coloring, but it looks kinda like a moon elf to me.
>>
I only see Paladin / Warlock and Paladin Sorcerer build.

Why not Paladin / Bard?
>>
>>54946353
It doesnt work like that you fuck. You can only cast a cantrip with a quickened leveled spell.
>>
>>54945933
Sure he did, where does he say that?
There's enough new and additional content in Curse of Strahd, but you'd realize that if you actually bothered to read through it or play it.
>>
>>54946005
>two non-cantrip spells
Quickened lets you cast an Action spell and a Cantrip, not two Action spells.
>>
>>54946353
Which does not invalidate the bonus action spellcasting rule, retard.
>>
File: ReadTheBook2.png (283KB, 649x671px) Image search: [Google]
ReadTheBook2.png
283KB, 649x671px
>>54946384
No, it lets you cast an action spell as a bonus action ya fuckin idiot
>>
File: Capture.png (124KB, 481x115px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
124KB, 481x115px
>>54946375
Read the book nigger.

>>54946390
Irrelevant.
>>
>>54945933
Chris P: "When we sat down with Tracy and talked about how we can take the original story and just kinda build it outward we made sure that if we ever introduced a new character to the story, their whole reason for being in the story ties back to Strahd. ... We wouldn't put any character in Curse of Strahd who's life hadn't basically been torn apart by Strahd."

Chris P: "The original Ravenloft adventure was 32 pages and concentrated around Castle Ravenloft, but in Curse of Strahd we have a much larger area to explore. We've absorbed the essence of the original adventure and preserved that as much as possible. All we're doing is showing you more damage that Strahd has caused. We're pushing the mists out a bit and showing more of the people who have been victimized by or abandoned by this man."

Chris P: "We wanted to take the opportunity to introduce some new places."

Yep, it's just a straight up updated rerelease of Castle Ravenloft.
>>
>>54946400
It's no irrelevant... if you cast a spell as a bonus action, your only other spell on that round can be a cantrip. This rule still applies when you quicken a spell.
>>
>>54946399
And you can't cast a bonus action spell and a full action non-cantrip spell in the same turn.
>>
>>54946400
You cast a spell as a bonus action, and then you can cast a cantrip

Are you stupid?
>>
So I now have the Suggestion spell on my sorceress. What are the best suggestions for use of Suggestion? I'm gonna try to use it on a goblin to make him go to the nearest town and buy me some milk.
>>
>>54946423
Exactly, I'm on your side
>>
>>54946414
>>54946425
That defeats the point of Quickened Spell entirely. Pretty retarded, so I'm keeping it my way.
>>
>>54946431
You knew what was meant.
>>
>>54946439
Are you retarded? Seriously, are you retarded?
>>
>>54946400
You read the book faggot, go to page 202. This has been answered for a fucking while now. Im pretty sure even mearls has said some shit about this on sage advice.
>>
>>54946446
>>54946449
No, fuck you. It doesn't make sense, I'm the DM. It goes my way.
>>
>>54946439
It is retarded, but so is your way.
>>
>>54946439
No it doesnt. Otherwise you break the fucking game. Qucken is great, you can bonus action fireball then use a wand of magic missile and fuck someones day up, or use the dodge action, or just fucking cast firebolt to increase your damage.
>>
>>54946455
It does make sense and you're a bad DM
In case you're actually not baiting, I hope you realize that there's more you can do with your action than cast a spell.
>>
>>54946455
> God complex DM
Red flag
>>
>>54946455
What the actual fuck, calm your autism.
>>
>>54946455
You better make it cost more than 1 SP.
>>
>>54946455
Sorry, >>54946449 is right.
https://thesageadvice.wordpress.com/2014/11/16/quickened-spell/
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/09/27/quickened-spell-cantrip/
If you're the DM, obviously you can do whatever the fuck you want, but the actual rules of the game don't work like you thought.
>>
>>54946077
See >>54946406
Stop shooting your mouth off.

How is Tomb of Annihilation a ripoff of Tomb of Horrors?
>>
File: dnd.jpg (634KB, 1200x826px) Image search: [Google]
dnd.jpg
634KB, 1200x826px
>>54944591
A righteous and holy warrior cleric that refuses to die

A large wisteria shield guardian that wants the party to stop doing side quests and save the world

A psionic flumph that's is mildly displeased with the rest of the party

A half orc barbarian that wants to fight and nothing more

A lightning conduit that does no damage with ptsd

An holy archer that does hella damage

And two wizards that best friendless irl causes a circle jerk no one is really comfortable with
>>
>>54946465
>>54946467
>>54946473
>>54946477
>>54946480
LALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU I'M RIGHT AND YOU'RE WRONG

To the guy referencing Sage Advice, fuck off with your meme website. They never give any good advice.
>>
>>54946488
It has "Tomb of" in the name
>>
File: Low Quality Bait.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Low Quality Bait.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>54946494
>>
>make a monk
>neutral alignment
I haven't gotten into combat yet, but can anyone give me tips? I assume my punches are gonna be strong as fuck. I picked Way of the Open Fist.
>>
>>54946505
>can anyone give me tips?
Stop giving a shit about alignments
Play your character and let your alignment follow suit, not the other way around
>>
>>54946505
Don't mention or even think about your alignment. It doesn't matter and is basically a legacy system at this point.
>>
>>54946494
Sage Advice is literally the best way to figure out what the RAI is.
If you prefer RAW over RAI (or even worse - convoluted interpretations of RAW), you're basically literally wrong, because the rules should serve the game, not the other way around.
>>
>>54946505
Grab a quarterstaff. Your punches are shit until you're higher level. You many times for small amounts, not big numbers on individual whacks.
>>
>>54946518
If you prefer to listen to some nobodies and follow along like a sheep instead of modifying rules you disagree with, you're a bad DM.
>>
>>54946517
It matters for effects that take into account alignment, but you could easily argue that that is just a self feeding beast
>>
>>54946549
>some nobodies
>literally the creators of the game
>>
File: 1430663619581.jpg (45KB, 594x595px) Image search: [Google]
1430663619581.jpg
45KB, 594x595px
>>54946549
>some nobodies
>>
>>54946563
>>54946568
If they're so great why does errata exist? Why does an entire book exist for the sole purpose of changing/creating your own rules?

It's fine if you're in a group that wants to stick really close to the book, but otherwise SA shouldn't be treated as the end all be all decider of arguments.
>>
>>54946593
>If they're so great why does errata exist?
Because errata is literally just typos in the release, not balance changes
>>
>>54946497
Topkek.
>>
>>54946494
Learn to play with others, you severely autistic retard.
>>
>>54946624
A quick glance at the errata proves that isn't true.
>>
>>54946677
Typos was an exaggeration, but errata is nothing more than error correction. It is not rebalancing.
>>
Say I want to play a ranged weapon sniping rogue, probably an Inquisitive. Is it better to go wood elf for longbow or human and pick up heavy crossbow with the feat? I'm fully aware melee Booming Blade rogue is higher damage
>>
>>54946690
Errors that have an effect on balance, like needing a free hand to reload or the Sentinel buff.
>>
>>54946720
Yes, but they are still just errors. They are not changed in order to rebalance, they are being changed to FIX ERRORS.

This REALLY is not hard to understand.
>>
>>54946736
The fact that errors exist in the first place prove they're not infallible.
>>
>>54946799
No one said they were
What is your point?
>>
Does anyone have a table for rolling random spells for random scrolls?
>>
>>54946821
Idiots that think their comments are gospel and there's no room for personal interpretation.
>>
>>54946887
Well no one said that so
>>
>>54946887
When it comes to interpretation, there ISN'T room for "personal interpretation."
You're allowed to make whatever house rules you want, but only Crawford can tell you what a rule is supposed to mean.
>>
>>54946887
Are you talking about yourself? >>54946494
>>
>>54946923
Follow along you monkey: >>54946518
>>
>>54946956
I don't think you even understand what that anon is saying, because he's completely right and is not at all doing what you were talking about
>>
>>54946990
No he's not.
>>
>A young looking kobold blocks your path, wearing an old carpet as a cape and a wooden sword at his side. He proclaims himself as the king of this road and demands 5 silver from each of you to pass

What do you do?
>>
>>54947070
Ok kid
>>
>>54947077
I'd pay it because 5 silver is cheap as fuck and king kobold is funny enough to not kill on sight
>>
>>54947077
5 silver is fucking nothing so sure.
>>
>>54947077
We chuckle, give him 5 gold and tell him not to get himself hurt. Maybe invite him to set up camp and tell us about his adventures, and we can share ours with him.
>>
How far you can see in curse of strahd
>>
>>54947077
Give him 20 gold piece. My characters tend to have a soft spot for naive monsters like that. I think they're cute.
>>
>>54947077
In my group's primary ongoing game? Offer to complete for him a quest or bounty to earn our passage.
And then leave without doing it

On that note, I've been having a lot of fun playing a conman in this campaign.
>>
>>54947077

"Begone dog-lizard, before I re-purpose your sword as a suppository!"

*roll for intimidate with +7 bonus*

I got 24
>>
>>54947106
Do you mean through the mists or something else?
The mists are considered heavily obscured areas.

You can otherwise see normally, but the sunlight in Barovia isn't truly considered to be sunlight per se in terms of causing harm to undead.
>>
>>54947077
He looks cute, give him the money after making sure nothing dodgy pings off my at-will Detect Magic. Ask him what he's doing here and look for quest hooks.
>>
File: 1288690820196.gif (332KB, 544x400px) Image search: [Google]
1288690820196.gif
332KB, 544x400px
>friend asks me to DM for them in ten minutes
>fuck it sure
>surprise it's bunch of first timers who have never skimmed the rules
>pull up some notes on Lost Mines and prepare to bullshit
>40 minutes of people struggling with tech issues with discord and microphones
>20 minutes of waiting for someone to get off the phone
>time wasted on 'no no you pick first!' on the premade characters
>shy newbies not knowing how to roleplay and spending more time apologising than anything else
>lol randumb xD wizard pukes into one of the barrels while the rogue eggs him on to drink the entire barrel
>only serious player misses every attack on the goblin ambush
>feel like I made everything a fucking mess and an awful introduction to the game
>someone had to leave suddenly due to family
>get told by everyone they had lots of fun and are super excited to play next week
>>
>>54944591
I'm DMing for the following group:
A half-elf rogue who is the ranger's brother and is trying to find his adventurer father and mother and make money along the way

A half-elf range who is the rogue's sister and just wants to make sure her brother doesn't end up getting killed, has an affinity for raising dogs

A half-orc barbarian that used to be a pitfighter but gave up after seeing there was no more rings to conquer and lived traveling from encampment to encampment challenging the best. He got captured after a bout and later ended up being rescued from slavery by the party, is probably the most anti-orc of the party

A half-elf bard who lives for booze and ladies and writes plays based on the adventures they go on to boost his reputation, he embelishes them so he's the big goddamn hero despite being the one that usually gets fucked during encounters

A human monk who was born blind but through his master of ki managed to learn some kind of blindsight. He's travelling trying to find the reason behind a plague that ravaged his city and a few neighbouring ones that simply vanished one day.

A high elf wizard that puts Alex Jones to shame for the level of paranoid conspiracy theory crafting he does. Literally wears a hat lined with lead so 'the evil dragon-men can't read our minds' after bumping into a dragonborn magic-user that made a joke about mind reading. He is actually prone to not using his magic since he doesn't want anyone to know he's a wizard 'cause then they'll try to steal my secrets'.
>>
>>54947183
If your players had fun then it seems like you did a good job. Every player's gotta start somewhere.
>>
>>54947183
D&D is like sex. Your first time is going to be awkward and messy and you won't do it right but that won't stop you from wanting to do it again.
>>
>>54947183
A wise man one said that the type of people drawn to d&d are the worst people to play d&d with
>>
>>54947183

5e is easy to get into. For my first campaign I started off without even seeing the inside of the rule book, the other players helped me build my sorc, and there's confliction between my actual character and his alignment. Within a few sessions I was used to the core rules and I'd started to develop an actual character to roleplay out of my mess of a backstory, the DM let me change some things to make it make more sense. Now I'm probably the one who is roleplaying the most at the table
>>
>>54947209
>>54947255
>>54947261
>>54947270
Thanks guys. One of the players I pulled in to fill the group out is part of my other campaign, and had a good laugh telling me just to run them through the same start I did for them (escaping from a burning town). I feel a bit bad that they didn't get a properly planned first session, but hey if they're happy to stick with it, I can plan and grab them individually for a walk through of rules and how their sheet was created better.
>>
>>54944969
>>54945039
I wish I was this heavily autistic, then I would never be able to see the negativity in others.
>>
Are there minis for Dragonborn Bards?
>>
I need a name for a generic town and a generic tavern, for the curse of strahd introduction any ideas?
>>
>>54947081
I guarantee I'm older than you.
>>
>>54947377
Prahva. just off the top on my head.
>>
>>54947381
Then you should really know better.
>>
>>54947381
ok kid
>>
>>54947377
Translate the words "town" and "tavern" into Russian or Japanese or something and use those.
>>
>>54947353
You want prepainted wizards minis, looking at $20+ for anything dragonborn or half dragon, if you want to paint your own or unpainted don't ask me I wouldn't know
>>
I wanna homebrew something. Is there anything someone wants to play but hasn't found anything for yet?
>>
>>54947436
That's insanely creepy. Fuck off.
>>
>>54947436
Can we get you banned for this?
>>
>>54947468
thanks anyway though. I appreciate it.
I need a mini of my own for the next time the warlock makes an elf have a crisis of morals.
>>
>>54947480
>>54947491
>taking the bait
>>
>>54947512
I don't fucking care if its bait, it's unnecessary
>>
>>54947506
No problem, collecting prepainted minis is one of my hobbies, always happy to help
>>
>>54947518
This very much so.
>>
>>54944591

A bookish Wizard who used to be a schoolteacher but set out for greater things.

A Rogue with a typical rogue backstory with a surprisingly stalwart moral code.

A Paladin and one of the last worshipers of a mysterious god of wisps.

A monk who follows the teachings and path of a god all about self improvement into perfection.

I'm the GM,

I eventually gave them all powers as the characters learned they were four of many demigods, each with singular powers.

The wizard gained the power to see magic at its deepest level and to tweak and mess around with its effects directly.

The rogue gained the power to create ethereal shadowy weapons and cut holes through any surface (essentially portable holes at a whim)

The Paladin gained the power to manipulate their own fate, (essentially rerolls and bonuses when they have advantage)

The monk gained the ability to teleport to anywhere they place a magical hand-print.

I love my party and the fact that they're easily the least murderhobo party I've ever played with, they haven't killed a single sentient living thing yet and they're level 8.
>>
>>54947436
Post pics?
>>
>>54947480
>>54947491
There's nothing wrong with anything I said. I even convinced the principal to let me run a D&D club after suggesting we use Risus for some classroom activities. If you can't handle these things you don't belong on 4chan.

>>54947512
Just because it triggers a few prima donnas doesn't make it bait.
>>
Our party abandoned Sloopdopoop to its fate and we'll be coming really soon to Neverlight Grove, how fucked are we?
>>
>>54947563
I can handle them on /b/ I come here for D&D not edgy jokes about pedophilia
>>
>>54947538
I found WizKids minis, but no Dragonborn. like, at all.
I shall keep searching. Bubbles needs a mini, yo.
>>
>>54947567
Hehehehehehe have fun.
>>
>>54947587
Its older 4e minis made by wizards, the wizkids ones have half-dragons but no dragonborns quite yet
>>
>>54947567
My group just did exactly that. Are you a huemonkey by any chance?
>>
>>54947606
I found a spellscale sorcerer and a half-dragon duelist...so theres that.
>>
>>54947605
So we're pretty boned?

>>54947624
There's only so much you can do really.
And wat?
>>
>>54947567
wat
>>
>>54947663
Good luck with your search,
Heres some help
https://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchresults?q=Dragonborn
>>
File: b47299b8a930fda0c7c36ac67106faad.jpg (227KB, 1000x590px) Image search: [Google]
b47299b8a930fda0c7c36ac67106faad.jpg
227KB, 1000x590px
>>54944591
First time D&D players, nothing spectacular.: Elf Rogue, Gnome Warlock, Dragonborn Barbarian, Half-elf Warrior and Human Monk. We also have been playing a rules light "version" off the game since they didn't click with the edition at all, but it has been really fun, probably the most fun I had in a campaign ever.
>>
>>54947732
>didn't click with the edition
5th edition general
>>
>>54947695
Demogorgon rendered one of our party members insane and started feasting, so we had to fuck off.
>>
>>54947732
>rules light version of 5e
So you're basically playing free-form?
>>
>>54947703
>https://www.miniaturemarket.com/searchresults?q=Dragonborn
dude, you're the best.
>>
>>54947756
,* and started feasting rather.
>>
>>54947799
No problem man, minis are my passion
>>
Would PAM Valor Bard work? Is it better to stick with Swift Quiver build?
>>
What're some good 1st and 2nd spells for myconid encounters?
>>
>>54947878
Probably something with fire
>>
>>54947878
Sunlight
>>
Can I use Comprehend Languages to understand the coded language of two rogues communicating with Thieves' Cant?
>>
File: received_1813722705324050.jpg (159KB, 1750x817px) Image search: [Google]
received_1813722705324050.jpg
159KB, 1750x817px
>>54944591
Bam
>>
>>54947972
everybody in this part sounds insufferable, except for john snow and, surprisingly, the drow.
>>
>>54948000
Trips don't lie
>>
>>54947954
Thieves' Cant is like speaking normally but the actual meaning of the words mean something else. So no, it's the kind of thing that directly counters Comprehend Languages.
>>
>>54948021
I just assumed it was italian
>>
>>54948040
same shit really
>>
>>54948052
Gibberish and hand gestures, yep its italian
>>
>>54948000
The druid is alright as well
>>
>>54947577
What jokes?
>>
>>54947885
True that, was thinking hellish rebuke, burning hands, scorching ray, armor of agathys.

But was also thinking of learning shatter or mirror image?

>>54947948
Which spell can emit sunlight at that level?
>>
>>54948078
Commie gnomes have got to go
also, land druid, seriously, bet its not even arctic or mountain
>>
>>54948095
Well you see, theres this handy dandy spell called sunlight
>>
>>54948100
Nope, Forest! The redeeming thing about this party is that nobody minmaxes
>>
>>54948095
Just don't let them get in melee range to spore your shit in and you'll be fine. They're slow as shit.
>>
>>54948115
We're in the Underdark.
>>
File: 1448421169234s.jpg (12KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1448421169234s.jpg
12KB, 225x225px
http://www.dmsguild.com/product/215595/Monsters-of-the-Orient-Complete-Bestiary

Does any anon have the PDF of this? I looked in the trove but can't seem to find it.
>>
>>54948146
Sunbeam can be used anywhere.
>>
>>54948206
Did you actually read that it's only 1st and 2nd level spells? >>54947878
>>
>>54948223
Sorry I'm retarded just don't let the myconids get in melee to spore your shit in.
>>
>>54948144
Sounds excellent, will try to avoid in your face confrontations and go for the ranged attacks. If worst comes to worst, my Con isn't too bad.

>>54948233
No worries, seems like keeping out of melee is the way to go.
>>
DM here, need recommendations for a one-shot adventure for my players.

4 PC's, level 6 experience - Sorcerer, Druid, Barbarian, Rogue
Just entered Waterdeep, in middle of Hoard of the Dragon Queen

Any Adventurer's League or DM's Guild recommendations?
>>
Hey, never DMed before, but want to try a oneshot.

Anyone know any good ones, and do they come with maps I can use for R20?
>>
>>54948735

Look up "The Tree of Blight" on dmsguild.com. I ran this as a filler adventure when half of my players had to take a week off, but the others still wanted to play. So long as you read it beforehand, you can easily complete it in 2-3 hours, so long as your players have played before. If they haven't, allow more time.
>>
>>54944591
>A half elf wizard who is searching for the eye and hand of Vecna. He does beneficial deeds without being asked in order to influence people. The party found in some giant ruins looking for a giant runic object which he believes will assist him in acquiring the eye.

>A dwarf druid who wants to be a dragon. He trained under a copper dragon for four years and has recently been forced to work for a red dragon who owns his soul. The copper dragon has tasked him with helping out with the giant problem. The red dragon told him not to cross him and to genocide the giants.

>A human monk who is a Knight of a prominent town. He made a deal in the past with an Asmodean worshiping witch to be ultimately under her employ. He currently is tasked with collecting giant rune artifacts by her. He also made a deal with the red dragon and is currently planting small orbs across the land for the dragon to set up a surveillance system with.

>A revenant cleric of an old god. He 'was' a warlock of great power who, in his last breath, forced his will into a corpse with one command 'You will raise me from the dead'. The corpse got a most of his memories and for the most part is him, but also isn't. He's conflicted about his goal because he knows he will disappear once it is accomplished, but the warlock is also him... Kind of.
>>
>>54948799
>A revenant cleric of an old god. He 'was' a warlock of great power who, in his last breath, forced his will into a corpse with one command 'You will raise me from the dead'. The corpse got a most of his memories and for the most part is him, but also isn't. He's conflicted about his goal because he knows he will disappear once it is accomplished, but the warlock is also him... Kind of.

This is really cool.
>>
Anyone uploading AL files anymore?
>>
>fourth session cancelled in a row
Should I drop this group? The DM is my best friend and the other guys are nice, but every weekend one of them comes up with something stupid.
>girlfriend won't let me
Just cut off your dick.
>I wanna watch the game
Then let's do the session before or after it. Pause the session to watch it? Christ, sportsfags are the worse.
>mom's birthday
You're gonna spend the 48 hours of the weekend with her?
>party
That isn't even during the session, you idiot.
The sessions even happen during the day so everyone can do their own shit during the night, and they refuse to do anything online. None of us can play during the week.
I'm really tired of postponing or reserving my weekend only for one of them to drop it at the last minute, when I could play in a group of actual basement dwellers who will never bail.
>>
File: ed wheelchair.png (192KB, 998x813px) Image search: [Google]
ed wheelchair.png
192KB, 998x813px
>>54949737
Are you me?
>>
>>54949737
Ditch them. If they can't respect the group time, then you don't need to respect theirs.
>>
So my DM has agreed to let me pick up the Lore archetype for my High Elf Wizard, mostly due to the fact that it took us two 4 hour sessions to finish up the first portion of the Lost Mines module (I'm the only experienced player at the table besides the DM and the others were being lolrandumb).

What spells should I look to be taking, and which ones will work best with the whole, "change the saving throw" option? So far I've got Chromatic Orb, Mage Armor, Shield, and Sleep. The cantrips are Prestidigitation, Mage Hand, Message, and Ray of Frost.
>>
>>54949914
>which ones will work best with the whole, "change the saving throw" option?
Change the save for Hold Person to Strength or Dexterity, whichever you expect to be lower. If they fail the first save, then they automatically fail all subsequent saves due to the paralyzed condition.
>>
>>54949941
That still assumes I get to 2nd level spells. What will help me keep the party alive between level 2 and level 3?

Right now I'm thinking of grabbing Burning Hands and Disguise Self. I forgot to mention that my other two 1st level spells are Detect Magic and Identify.
>>
>>54950024
>What will help me keep the party alive between level 2 and level 3?
A character with Healing Word
>>
>>54944591
so my party cut off a pair of giant demon horns and I was trying to think of what to do with them. I was thinking maybe some kind of outsiders bane weapon or demon armor
>>
>>54950070
We have that (Dragonborn Light Cleric) but the person playing it is new to D&D in general and is struggling with how spells work. He has admitted to needed to sit down at read the rules more, but his laziness is kicking in hard right now due to some real life stress at his work, so I don't want to harp on him too hard about it and drive him away from the table.
>>
>>54946148

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGAC-gBoX9k

tl;dr it's a game with a large amount of players (generally way more than a recommended party) where the players pick a smaller group or who they want to adventure with (3-5 people) and the dm whips up an adventure. it's really good for large groups who can't always attend and makes the world feel alive
>>
>>54950189
Hollow them out and making drinking horns. Or instruments.
>>
>>54945461
Welcome to the town of weekday, where it's always weekday.
>>
File: Airy_BDFtS.png (134KB, 407x448px) Image search: [Google]
Airy_BDFtS.png
134KB, 407x448px
>>54945461
>>
File: 1437672997957.jpg (27KB, 597x407px) Image search: [Google]
1437672997957.jpg
27KB, 597x407px
>>54950309
>>
>>54948692
hidden shrine of tamoachan
>>
>>54946005
You can also do this when you cast an action spell and a reaction spell on your turn. Minor, but technically valid.
>>
>>54949042
Seconding this. I would acrially wnjoy hearing more about the this character.
>>
>>54950513
What are you reacting to on your turn.
>>
>>54950610
A dagger is never a ranged weapon. Throwing a dagger is no longer wielding in one hand. Throwing weapons got fucked.
>>
How lenient is your DM with the rules?

Mine is pretty relaxed, and we can generally do whatever we want. Whip that deals 1d8 damage? You got it. Steel Gauntlets that deal 1d10? No problem. Armor that teleports on a character? Goes without saying. Jettisoning armor mid-combat to take advantage of bird man flight? You better believe it.
>>
>>54950814
I'm the DM and yes I am very lenient with the rules. I don't rule of cool everything, but for the majority I allow most things. You may be the final arbiter of the rules but doesn't mean you have to be a dick with em.
>>
>>54950814
Too lenient, honestly. The players don't have a great grasp and it's not helping them learn.
>>
>>54950883
You're gonna have to elaborate.
>>
What's an interesting magic item to give to a Battlemaster in my game? He plays very strategically, forgoing attacks for shoves and grapples in a lot of scenarios, and generally puts a lot of his focus on keeping his squishier teammates seperate from the hard-hitting enemies. I don't just want to give him something that deals more damage, I want to augment his combat utility somehow. I was thinking maybe a ring that lets him cast enlarge on himself once a day, for example. Anyone else have any interesting ideas? Accepting homebrew. What would help a support tank do his thing better?
>>
>>54950916
A wand that spawns bear traps.
>>
>>54950900
- Rogue has a familiar. On its turn it "gets in the enemies face" and gives disadvantage for the enemy to hit anything. It also gives advantage to everyone to hit it.
- Rogue doesn't realize he needs advantage to sneak attack. Doesn't realize what gives advantage. A "surprise round" doesn't inherently mean advantage. DM also does surprise as a bonus round.
- People stack bonus actions. Sure why not you can charge, make a bonus action attack (Minotaur), then flurry of blows on the bonus action. Why not.
- Casters have gotten better now, but they used to upcast higher level spells by .. using that spells appropriate level slot. They treated everything as first level spells, so when they cast second level spells, they used second level slots and gave it the upcasting benefits. They've stopped now thankfully. I think.
- Handwaving around features. Off hand: monk made a 20 foot vertical jump off the grounds via acrobatics. Step of wind would be perfect here. No he just leaps off the ground and flurries things.
- Somewhat tries to shut down features. I have shield master as a barbarian. Prone and bone is what I do. He's tried to fight me on being able to prone things with four legs, "because it's not the same as person laying prone". He's stopped now because I got incredulous. If it's immune to prone, fine, but shove doesn't no JUST work on medium humanoids. Similarly, had to argue with him on monks behalf that stunning strike works with flurry of blows. It's an attack modifier, not an action thing.
- There's two (kobold press) homebrew races in the game. One has light sensitivity, other goes insane when away from desert. They have powerful features in return. Their downsides have never come up. Ever.

.etc
>>
>>54951022
>Rogue doesn't realize he needs advantage to sneak attack

He's right on that one.

Sounds like your DM is ignorant of a lot of rules, not just lenient.
>>
It's that time again - completely change a spell by removing or adding one letter.

>ass healing word
>>
>>54951198
>speak with pants
>>
>>54951137
Oh, no, I mean, rogue doesn't realize he needs advantage. DM doesn't enforce advantage, he just lets him sneak attack regardless. I don't think the rogue has even *not* sneak attacked (as an arcane trickster), because he seems to randomly either get advantage, or thinks as long as he doesn't have disadvantage, he's fine.

Which is stil weird, because I proned an enemy, he went to shoot it, I went "shit sorry dude I forgot that you were up next and that would mess with your sneak attack", he said it was fine as an ally was within 5 feet of it .. DM assented, I just face palmed.

DM isn't being purposeful in it, he just isn't aware of a lot of rules - so basic stuff gets bent way too far, and anything he thinks of as "powerful" gets heavy suspicions. I've worked a bit of it in my favor but it's somewhat pulling teeth.
>>
>>54951298
>I don't think the rogue has even *not* sneak attacked

This is how a Rogue should play.
>>
>>54951298
Apart from not strictly adhering to rules, has anything else being a problem? Have you all had fun regardless?
>>
>>54950814
As a DM I'm fairly lenient, except when my players are trying to break the game. I have one player that is constantly trying to play with the rules or try to do something fucky to basically make combat easymode. It is a little annoying but at least the other players just play the game to have fun.
>>
>>54951198
>ass without a trace
>hill touch
>urning hands
>disguise elf
>itch bolt
>contact other Lane
>cone of old
>ream
>arcane ale
>>
>>54950628
Anything that can be said to trigger a reaction. If you read the bit of the PHB about reactions, it says you can use it on your turn.
>>
>>54951198
>speak with dad
>>
File: murderhobo.jpg (81KB, 805x876px) Image search: [Google]
murderhobo.jpg
81KB, 805x876px
EVERRRYONE! GET IN HERE! A NEW THREAD IS BREWIN' UNDER THE HEARTH.
>>54951497
>>54951497
>>54951497
>>54951497

>>54951497

>>54951497
>>
>>54946505
Use versatile weapons.
>>
How would i build Jarlaxle in 5e? Battle master fighter/ swashbuckler?
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.