[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General - Under The Sea Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 398
Thread images: 24

File: ohdear.jpg (215KB, 1300x813px) Image search: [Google]
ohdear.jpg
215KB, 1300x813px
>Unearthed Arcana: Three-Pillar Experience
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ThreePillarXP.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread: >>54944591

What are your favorite giant sea creatures /5eg/? (Eldritch or otherwise.)
What impacts do they have in your campaign?
Are any of your players Sorcerers or Warlocks with gifts from them?
>>
File: spelllist.png (51KB, 177x420px) Image search: [Google]
spelllist.png
51KB, 177x420px
Rate my level 3 storm sorc spell list.
>>
What are some good weapons to create with the pact of the blade? To cover all of the physical damage types.
>>
>>54951837
Is it really THAT hard to look at the weapon table and pick the three highest for each type?
>>
So, my party's sorceror added a new thing to his wild magic rolls.
No matter where he is, my wizard will appear behind him.
It's already procced once and it's fucking hilarious.
nuthin personnel, kid
>>
>>54951886
Was wondering on people's opinions really, but do continue being autistic.
>>
>>54951911
In this case, a good weapon is defined by how much damage it does. There's no opinion involved. Instead of throwing out insults, I suggest you stop being a lazy fuck and glance at the choices yourself. This isn't even hard.
>>
>>54951890
O Pelawdy, I can see it now
>Fedora of atheism, +1 on ranged m'agic rolls vs celestials
>Cursed trenchcoat, persuasion rolls with the opposite gender at disadvantage
>-1 Non-battle ready katana
Behold the neckbeard necromancer in all his glory!
>>
who's dick do I need to suck to finally find a group
>>
A character in our party has some mental problems. She's had a rough past like 85% of adventurers tend to do and is starting to question her choices and blaming herself for everything that goes wrong, while slipping towards her old ways of being a chaotic evil asshole.
The party has a mystic working for them at their base, one that has actual levels because I played him during a side quest that a player DM'd. The troubled character came to the mystic seeking for help since he's the expert on mental stuff.
We talked about the possibility of him trying to help her by poking around in her head trying to help her in some way. Directly affecting her mental state would probably be bad in the long run.
I offered to try a more subtle approach. Using Psychic Inquisition's Phantom Idea I would implant some ideas in her head, like making her believe that's she's strong enough to endure this or that she's blaming herself too much. Minor things, not just forcibly making her not question herself.
We decided to repeat this process every 48 hours to keep up at all times.
I'm no psychologist but I'd think that an idea would actually "stick in" if it was enforced for long enough. Like trying to become more confident by posing in front of a mirror and telling yourself you are confident which I hear actually works.
What do you think? Would it work like that? Are mystics the perfect shrinks? Diminution says yes.
>>
>>54951556
>friends cantrip
are you trying to fucking die? That cantrip is worded making people want to murder you
>no scorching ray
>no flamebolt for a long range at-will option
>no feather fall
granted that can be done by another caster so it could be fine

Overall it's kinda bad if you want to be blaster man, which is all sorcerer is good at except for twin casting haste/enlarge or reduce/polymorph/truepolymorph
What sorcerer type are you?
>>
>>54952276
I would let it fly if I were the DM, but purely because getting this shit every session from her would get tiresome pretty soon. If you gonna play a "woe is me" character, he's better be busy overcoming his problems with grim determination, not whining all the time.
>>
>>54952085
it's 50% that 50% "oh for fuck's sake not THIS again"
the first time it happens I was at a meeting half a continent away
>>
>>54952313
To be fair she just started this a session or two ago. Their adventurers have been kinda grim lately and they have made some really bad choices like letting a monster out of Shadowfell that killed at least a thousand people before they found him and stopped him.
That's what you get for trusting huge, grinning and clearly evil shadow-men.
>>
>>54951996
There's really no reason to be autistic.
>>
>>54952269
Probably DM's.
>>
I'm interested in getting started with TTRPs and 5e seems like a good place to start. I've already mentioned it to a few friends and they seem to be interested as well. Is the Starter Set a good buy? I know the various rule books are easily found online, but I think having physical pages to look through will help myself and the players (who are all new to TTRPs as well) understand the rules better. I don't want to risk people scrolling through their phone to look up what their abilities do again. Will the starting rules be enough for at least a few sessions or is the DM/PH books are a necessary/desirable for further play pass the first session? I'm don't want to pay for basic rule books if I'm just going to immediately shelve them for the full length rule books.
>>
File: 1472702642131.png (134KB, 347x441px) Image search: [Google]
1472702642131.png
134KB, 347x441px
>>54952406
literally no one plays where I live. I went to hobby shops and the like. online groups are never in euro time zones.

If I had a wish spell i'd use it to find a fooking group
>>
>>54952444
>not wishing to replace football (both of them) with D&D
>>
>>54952444
I tried to find a group for like 9 years until I just gave up. Then purely by chance I found six other people who were interested in playing and now we've been playing for 10 months and nobody's quit yet.
Good luck.
>>
>>54952463
I feel like that wish spell can be tainted. imagine telling your dm " I wish every orc will be replaced with an elf"
>>
>>54952487
I'd just really rather the annoying screaming fucks at my work yell about Orcs sucking again and Dardenne Bladesinger having a shit adventure instead of Dontreyvion Blatt being the best passer of all time.
>>
Are there any mystic-style enemies yet? Even homebrew ones? I need some for a secret order of psionic assholes the party's going to run into soon.
>>
>>54952524
>take any wizard enemy
>replace spells with mystic powers of similiar effect
>>
>>54952296
Friends doesnt say they want to murder you, they just get angry. Whenever I use it, I its generally to get information from certain people. I just make sure to get as far away from them as possible by the time the 1 minute is up. My DM sees it as someone tricking you by "cheating" so most people would be angry but generally unless they are really bad people then it isnt bad.
>>
So I just added an Archdruid onto my campaign, and I was thinking of ways to make him interesting and unique

I was torn between making him a thrall of a Gulthias Tree (permanent bark skin) or letting him wildshape into Half-Dragons, like a Half Dragon Subterranean Lizard, or polymorphing into a half dragon T-Rex
>>
>>54952444
England? Brits are at a disadvantage desu, we don't like to travel too far from the scones
>>
>>54952590
not england. but still, I gave up on the concept of a live party years ago. im just looking for some online play.
>>
>>54952393
>guy gives answer
>still calls him austist and doesn't help explain what he wants from us

idk man, between you 2 you are looking pretty autismo yourself
>>
>>54952444
Do most people in this general already have groups? Could you just ask for members here?
I actually don't know, I'm really new at this and I'm not sure what the etiquette is regarding LFG posts in the general.
>>
>>54952589
I think permanent Bark skin os already pretty memorable (play it up in the description, like have it sport them lichen tufts and a few leaves, even (especially) in Wild Shape) and them in battle drop a half dragon as a reveal if you feel like you're short on those
>>
How would you build melee Paladin 2 / Lore Bard X?

I like the idea of using Staggering smite with 4th level Divine smite at PC level 8.

Maybe using magic initiate to get Booming Blade and Eldritch Blast so I can do everything, in-combat and out of combat?
>>
I share being the DM for a game with my friends. I want to talk with the other DM about making some changes to the abilities used to climb.

Does it make sense for Athletics to be used to climb up things when you have the tools for the task; knotted rope, climbing up ice with foot picks and those ice axe things, and climbing up a wall or cliff with a harness and rope; however, if you are unprepared, it is a athletics check as well as an acrobatics check. Some of the players were annoyed that the Paladin and Fighter in heavy armour were able to climb a rock wall in a dungeon but a Gnome Rogue and a Wood Elf Ranger couldn't until a rope was tossed down.
>>
>>54952852
Read PHB. You dont have to make atheletic check to climb unless the wall is especially slippery.

You are a heroes, you shouldn't fail at mundane task.
>>
I'm not exactly clear on the rules about bonus action spells. Can a Sorcerer use Quicken metamagic on a level 1 spell, use their action to cast a cantrip, and afterwards use their bonus action to cast the quickened spell?
>>
>>54952829
>magic initiate to get eldritch blast
that's retarded, just put levels into fey bladelock warlock to get ranged smites with the moonbow, along with some eldritch blast that adds cha mod to damage
>>
>>54951497
This may seem an odd question, but are there any well-written 5e game recollections/stories done by players? Sort of like how Shoggy done with the All Guardsmen Party or TwoDee done with his storytime?
>>
What's a good name for a baby hook horror?
>>
>>54952276
Yeah, if she acts with confidence long enough, chances are she'll internalise this trait.
t. psychologist
>>
Control water is fucking with me hard as a DM. I'm thinking about making a higher level spell simply because I can't justify having an instant 'destroy any ship within 300 ft' spell available to any level 7 cleric, druid, or wizard.
Did the creators even think about the implications of the effects when they wrote out that spell? No other 4th level spell is that devastating.
>>
>>54952444
DM a short adventure in roll20, while slowly teaching your players how to DM and how fun it is.

>>54952589
He uses Animal Shapes to turn half the forest's little critters into CR3 Giant Scorpions, or some CR4 beasts if you use third party stuff. Good luck getting to him.
>>
>>54952786
there used to be an LFG general, but it died and no one bothered to make a new one
>>
>>54952940
Do people get mad if you make LFG posts here?
>>
>>54952928
I know very little about D&D so far, but fill me in on exactly what the spell does and I'll try to help you maybe logic your way out of it.
>>
>>54952956
no idea. there also used to be a /5e/ discord but I don't see it posted at the OP anymore
>>
>>54952928
25% chance to capsize not instant destroy
>>
>>54952868
You use the action to cast the cantrip and the bonus action to cast the quickened spell. Nothing wrong with it. Just keep in mind you can't cast two leveled spells in this manner and that you can only use 1 bonus action per turn.

>>54952928
Use bigger ships.
>>
>>54952928
make it a DC. at level 4 it's a 10 DC to destroy a ship. DC increases by 2 for every spell slot expanded.
save modifier can be by ship. a small fishing boat might be at -5, a galley at +7 etc
>>
>>54952971
It can make a 100x100x100 cubic ft trench in a body of water (it has a potential effect called part water). There are no stipulations to it, but I think it was intended to pass through difficult areas not you know sink ships. Still the effect stands.

>>54952990
What is stopping them from making a deep trench that a ship falls into and then subsequently crashes into the water (100 ft nose first drop)? Even if they make they're likely to ram into the wall of water that is also in front of them.
I think the wave is the intended way to sink ships but part water is significantly better at the job in every way.
>>
>>54952971
Imagine you take a cube of water, 100 feet on a side.
Now with that cube of water you can:
>Flood, which rises the water 20 feet up, and then spills it everywhere, throwing everything that was in the cube around fast as fuck
>Part, which pulls a Moses
>Redirect flow, self explainatory
>Make a whirpool, anything that gets into the middle takes 2d8 damage per turn
>>
>>54952928
The wave doesn't instantly destroy ships, just gives a 25% chance to capsize them. The trench is a big drop but it may be survivable, especially if it's big and you halve falling damage in water, and the trench option specifically states that it slowly refills so it's not like the water would come crashing down ontop of it.
>>
File: 1446808062985.jpg (2MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1446808062985.jpg
2MB, 1600x1200px
Now that it's been about a month, what are people's thoughts on the alternative initiative system?

Has anyone even used it?

I remember watching an interview where Mearls said "I had to DM for 7 people that night, and decided to just try out the system, it worked great! Everyone was so engaged"

Granted if you literally make DnD for your job the people you play with are probably a lot different than the average /tg/ or reddit poster.
>>
>>54953031
How does the ship stop? Where is it's instant anchor to not slam into a wall of water?
>>
>>54953029
>>54953030
Do they gain control of any water that enters the cube area AFTER the spell is cast? Or do they only control the water that was present there at the time of casting?
>>
>>54953029
Trench makes the water move apart so the boat moves with the water
>>
>>54952928
So why not get an NPC boat and stick a 7th level cleric, druid, or wizard on it and fuck the PCs with control water, then, or at least counter it? A particularly seasoned naval outfit that knows to fuck the enemy spellcaster immediately?
>>
File: part water.png (18KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
part water.png
18KB, 1152x648px
>>54953038
This is basically my problem

>>54953061
it's not happening under them
>>
>>54953089
I've thought of that, but like still it's just ridiculous that most naval ships NEED a spell caster of 7th level or else they're fucked.
>>
>>54952860

It was a DC 17 to climb and the rounds were being tracked.
>>
>>54952928
>>54953106
Do oceans even count as "freestanding" water, which the spell specifies?
>>
>>54953121
I feel like if oceans didn't count that would be kind of ridiculous as well.
I'm okay with these effects it's just not as a 4th level spell.
>>
>>54953092
How slow is the ship moving if the caster is able to form the trench so fucking close to them? Surely the ship would either have time to change course or be so close to the trench that it would just be moved along with the water.
>>
>>54952928
You should just say when the trench option moves the water apart, the ships move with it.
>>
>>54952879
Moonbow doesn't exist anymore anon. The new UA remove it. Try reading it next time.
>>
>>54953092
You could make the argument that part water only allows them to control a square cylinder of water, rather than a true cube.

As in, they can create a 100x100x100 void, but only by pushing the water sideways, rather than down. This means that they can still use it to cross bodies of water by creating an opening across the floor of it, but if they try to use it on the open sea or anywhere deeper than 100 feet, the surrounding water will fill the void from the bottom since the spell doesn't allow them to push water down, only part it.

This means part water will essentially have no effect in bodies of water much deeper than 100 feet.
>>
>>54953147
Then the players will make the trench open up 5ft infront of the boat so that >>54953092 happens.
>>
>>54953145
It takes a total of 1 action for it to take effect. and it's 100x100 hole
>>
>>54953145
The casting takes less than 6 seconds to form a 100ft void. I say less than 6 because the caster can do a lot more with their turn than cast a spell such as draw a weapon and use a bonus action.
>>
>>54953089
Anon, 7th level spellcasters do not grow on trees, they are the 1% of the 1%, petty sorcerer-kings, exalted prophets and proactively minded archdruids in charge of thousand-strong occult hierarchies.
>>
>>54953121
What does freestanding water mean
>>
>>54953158
When you part the water you just push two sides and I could think that the water from the opposite ends would just pour in but even then the effect is still devastating.
I don't think the water would just rise from the bottom right?
>>
>>54953221
"Standing water is a pool of water of any size that does not flow. It can occur after excessive rains, severe storms, from hurricanes or other natural events but can also be caused by human induced methods such as an old bucket or abandoned swimming pool." Source Google.
>>
>>54953227
I mean, I think it's reasonable to be capable of "parting" the water in two directions at once, allowing you a square of control rather than a line.
In such a situation, if you had control of the sides but not the bottom, the water would rise up from the bottom.

If you made it so that the caster only had a line of control, then you're right, the effect would still be devastating.

But the first option is logical enough and would solve your problem, and you're the DM, so you could just use that one, right?
>>
Imm gonna fight a lich tomorrow, any tips
>>
>>54953320
they have shitty HP, hit them until they die.

obviously you'll want to find their phylactery or whatever first.
>>
>>54953320

Multiclass into cleric 5 levels ago?
>>
>>54953291
I'm not sure I understand what you mean from water rising from the bottom.

>>54953285
Would that definition be the same as freestanding water? The spell can redirect flow of water as well so I don't know if that's what they mean.
>>
>>54953334
Forgot to mention that its a demilich with the steal your soul sidebar
>>
>>54953320
Seduce them, see if you can make them suck your dick.
>>
>>54953320
Only 80 HP. Just Nova it.
>>
>>54953350
same principle
>>
>>54953347
Imagine partially submerging an empty cup into a body of water. You've now got a cup-shaped void in the water, right?
Now punch a hole in the bottom of the cup. The water flows through the hole and into the void, because the pressure being exerted on the entire surface of the water forces it upwards through the hole, so that the surface level is equalized.
You no longer have a cup-shaped void in the water.

This is what happens when you attempt to create a void in water without being capable of pushing the water down. The water at the bottom of the void rises to fill the void.
>>
>>54953320
Magic Missile

Auto hit, no save required, they take full damage

Just unload non stop
>>
>>54953347
I mean if you open a 100' wide trench 5' from a ship, the ship gets pushed back with the water about 50' assuming it opens in all directions equally. And I can't find anything on a mandatory minimum speed for a sailing vessel. It can just stop and wait, I guess.
>>
>>54953402
>lich doesn't have a brooch of shielding
>>
>>54953373
Dont forget they resist magic weapons, have 20 AC, take no damage on save or half on fail and can drain avg 63 hp a turn
>>
>>54953414
>lich doesn't have shield
>if lich has shield implying it would waste its precious reaction to stop a shitty magic dart
>>
>>54953402
Evocation Wizard might actually be useful here.
7th level Magic missile
= 9d4+45 = 67.5 damage.
>>
>>54953389
Okay I understand now I think.. That does lessen the effect somewhat, but I still think it's pretty devastating. How long would it take to fill back up? That's the next question. if it's longer than a turn I think the ship is still pretty fucked as it will still be slamming into water.

>>54953411
I don't believe it does open equally. It seems to say that it only pushes two sides of water out of the way. That makes me think that you could actually open it in such a way that a flow of water would push the ship IN the hole.
>>
>>54953414
Its a demilich, dog. No arms and no spells. Takes ~27 individual missiles to kill a demilich which three spellcasters could do in a round
>>
>>54953347
I searched for 'Free standing water' and that's what came up. It seems they didn't know exactly what standing water was or simply didn't put a lot of thought into the spell and so the spells' description contradicts that definition.
>>
>>54953320
I've read ahead a bit and seems you said it's a demi lich and people seem to think it's going to be easy. They may be right but remember your dm may throw some skeleton/zombie minions at you to pad the fight. It's hard to focus on the lich if you have a mini legion of undead to think about as well.
>>
>>54953414
Demilich only has its skull. How can it equip a brooch?
>>
Are there any content creators in the 5eg that aren't shitty homebrew? The osrg has a few namefags and bloggers that put out stuff I use for my 5e games, but I never see anything worth using in these threads.
>>
>>54953432
>but I still think it's pretty devastating.
How so?
>How long would it take to fill back up?
I imagine it would refill almost instantaneously, given the incredible pressure exerted by the entire ocean's area to a 100 foot depth.
>>
>>54953482
you can find some decent shit at dmsguild, depends on what you mean by content though
>>
>>54953472
its got eye sockets n shit
>>
>>54953512
Basically anything that isn't an unbalanced class/archetype/spell.

Something usable for a DM rather than a player.
>>
>>54953511
Would it still be filling that fast if two of the sides were also pouring water?
>>
>>54953532
Yes, except in that instance the water on the surface next to the void would be flowing directly into the void, rather than straight down.
This means that instead of the ship next to the void simply bobbing up and down a bit as the void is filled, it goes on a river rapid ride as the water it's sitting on flows toward the void.
This would not be as bad for the ship as the 100 foot drop you're dealing with now, but it'd still be really bad. Imagine a ship riding the aftermath of a dam breaking.
>>
>>54951556
>Sorc

Just go blasting. All the class is good far.
>>
>>54953579
But i can just assign an DC to that and be fine... it's devastating but there's a way out. I may still change the spell around to have the trench be only available at higher levels of casting.
That option just seems too strong for a 4th level spell.
>>
>>54953642
Keep in mind that the flow rate would also depend on how fast the void opened.
If it simply appeared in the water, all the neighboring water would flow into it at once. On the other hand, if it were to gradually widen to 100 ft over the span of say, 6 seconds, the flow rate at any given moment would be reduced.
The ship would still be drawn toward the trench and get rocked pretty hard, but it wouldn't be terribly dangerous.
>>
>>54953699
I just realized something... would the spell caster take control of the water that comes into the area? like would he just keep pushing the oncoming water aside?
>>
File: file.png (315KB, 1501x1117px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
315KB, 1501x1117px
you HAVE bought your subclasses, right?! you're not a pirate are you?
>>
>>54951497
So I want to start playing D&D, where do I start? I have done RP'ing before, I have played RPGs before. I don't want to go to a lgs because Im new and will spill my ziti all over the place, and everybody on d20 wants someone who knows what's going on. What do?
>>
>>54954093
Go to the lgs ya twat
And read the basic rules
>>
>>54953808
>not jacking up the prices of the OP subclasses and offering beast master and elements monk at a discount
>>
>>54954093
If you've got no friends who are interested (have you asked them?), your best bet is to try to find a meetup in your local city. At some point you're going to need to ask someone who you don't know is interested in DnD if they want to play the game with you. No judgements about that being difficult, we're all on 4chan here.
>>
>>54953808
>You have to buy subclasses
What the fuck, WOTC?
>>
>>54954171
The basic set only includes 1 archetype for each class. If you don't feel like buying the entire PHB, you can buy pieces of it ala carte.
>>
>>54954223
The books should come with a code that gives you all of the beyond stuff for no extra cost.
>>
>>54954243
Well they don't.
>>
>>54953775
That's what I asked you in >>54953053.
If the spell doesn't explicitly state it, I assume it's left up to you.
>>
>>54954093
>everybody on d20 wants someone who knows what's going on.
You mean Roll20? Don't they have a filter option for games that welcome new players?
>>
>>54954108
Would you be okay if some new guy came in and didn't know how to make a character? How doubting you, but would like to know your opinion

>>54954145
Nah my close friends are 100% dudebro go to bars every night kinda guys. Convincing them to stay at home and play is impossible. That's why I want to at least play a few games before I go out in person to meetups. Is there anyway ti play with bots or other newfags?
>>
>>54954346
depends on the game, plenty are noob friendly. D&D probably not, too much rulesiness.
>>
Somewhat inexperienced DM here.

After 8 sessions how much should I expect my players to know of the basic rules and their character's abilities and spells?
>>
>>54954375
They might still need to be reminded which die is the d20, and they still won't know which one is a d8 and which one is a d10.

They might understand what an attack action is though, so hopefully that will alleviate some of the work.
>>
>>54954375
3 sessions in they should at least be aware of how their character features work depending on how long your sessions last. Basic rules depend on how much they encounter/fight/are forced to deal with those basic rules. Half my players still forget that help, shove and dodge are basic actions you can do during combat.
>>
>>54954375
If they don't know it provide them with note cards outlining their shit. Simple, takes a couple minutes to whip up. They can pass them around without breaking out the heavy book delays. Everyone wins. May or may not work with infographics on the internet gaming.
>>
>>54954478
I have been playing and dming D&D for 4 years now and still have to doublecheck if I picked up a d8 or d10
>>
>>54954314
Yeah, I was phoneposting. In my experience everybody seems to put that their games are new player friendly, but they stonewall you once you tell them that you're actually new
>>
>>54954478
30 sessions in and our bard still has to ask what dice to roll, what his spell DC is, what his bonuses are and how his features work.
Maybe I should kill him and make him reroll a champion fighter.
>>
>>54954565
Why don't you just make him write down a cheat sheet that he can look at whenever he has a dumb question.
>>
>>54954565
I'd just give him a spellcaster sheet at that point since it has all that at the front
>>
>>54954554
Maybe you could form up an online group from people here?
I'm also new and don't want to meet people IRL.
>>
>>54954565
Stop telling him what they are and make him look it up.
>>
Is there a list of Adventurer's League modules that are good? I've heard lots about "The Drowned Tower", and "Giant Negotiation"
>>
>>54953808
or i could use some free alternative to that jewish crap

>>54953035
I would be also interested in this, but the idea itself seem so stupid i wouldn't bother trying it at home, as i see no benefit from using it.
>>
How would i build Jarlaxle in 5e? Battle master fighter/ swashbuckler?
>>
>>54954679
I've played Drums in the Marshes part way through and that seemed pretty fun so far.
>>
>>54954637
That would be great if this general ran games. It's not even that I am averted to meeting people irl, Im cool with that. I just don't want to look like a doofus who doesn't know a thing the first time I meet them
>>
I'm running HotDQ and we're at Castle Naerytar. I know the book is not good, but I modify it heavily to make up for it.

I don't like the enemy variety in Castle Naerytar, so I want to add few new encounters. What are some creatures that could appear in an old castle controlled by bullywugs and dragon cultists?
>>
>>54954679
I found this http://www.dmsguild.com/product/208140/Adventurers-League-Content-Catalog
>>
>>54954935
But as a new player you essentially are a doofus who doesn't know anything. Everyone is when they first start out. The trick is to find a group who will accept that and help you grow as a player.
>>
What's the point in giving valor bards extra attack if they're going to be using most of their actions to cast spells or cantrips anyway?
>>
End of last session a PC got captured. Next session the others are going to try and rescue him from a tribe of centaurs. What's an acceptable condition for him to be in that allows him to do stuff on his own to escape, while the others are trying to find him? He's a warforged so some liberties as far as his physical condition can be taken.

> Is 1 exhaustion too much? He was KO'd then snatched
> Missing a limb too much?
> 1 hp?
> Some armor plating stripped so -1 AC?
>>
I'll be DMing for my girlfriend a simple solo campaign to get her used with the mechanics. Which class should she pick that will help her understand how rolls and other things work more easily? She is much more interested in exploration and roleplaying than just combat.
>>
>>54955156
I'm not used to casters (I play mostly martial classes), so excuse me if I'm wrong, but isn't a spell part of an attack, so you could possibly cast two spells?
>>
>>54955227
no, that is not how that works at all unfortunately
>>
File: 1476647728200[1].png (29KB, 741x568px) Image search: [Google]
1476647728200[1].png
29KB, 741x568px
>Say we want to do something a certain way
>One guy always says no we should do it this way and goes on about it for about 10 mins
>Ask why he does this
>'It's what my character would want to do and you're just messing with my agency'
>>
>>54952598
Buddy I live in fucking Chile and I can find groups easily
>>
>>54955264
How do you find groups?
>>
>>54955186
3rd level ranger, PHB or UA. lets you learn how spells and normal attacks work, as well as being good at combat and exploration
>>
>>54955156
>What's the point of valor bards
>>
>>54955279
Thanks for the great tip. Ranger does sound like something she would like to play.
>>
>>54955264
I guess it's a cultural thing. There are literally no groups in a 100 KM radius of me
>>
>>54955302
Make one.
>>
>>54955174
missing a limb is probably too much, exhaustion sounds fine, and maybe 1 hp as well, although since hes a warforged if he could get the arm and armor re attached after getting freed that might be fine too
>>
Does anyone have any advice for using the core rulebooks on a tablet?

The PDF files seem to always load super slow, which makes it really irritating to use. I'm tempted to just buy a physical book.
>>
>>54955156
Well, it is better than their cantrip damage (at least until end game) and while they probably won't attack as often as martials, there still will be opportunities where stabbing someone will be best course of action.

Also, i guess what you say is exactly the reason why they DO have it - it won't break nothing too much and it feels really appropriate for fighter-bards.
>>
>>54955302
Do you live in Siberia or something?

>>54955442
Do it, faggot.
>>
>>54955442
Just learn all the rules by heart, and use 5eg github to look up the spells and monsters.
>>
>>54955499
I live in the middle east. there are some groups where I live, but sadly they are very far away from me
>>
>>54955442
Do you mean individual pages load slowly or the pdf just takes long to open? I had the former issue on my phone, so just split the PHB transcript into a bunch of sections
or just buy the book if you have the money
>>
>>54952276
Depends on the DM.
>>
>>54955302
100 Km? Where are you, Antarctica?
>>
>>54955534

Individual pages load slowly. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy E, which is usually pretty good with PDFs, but for some reason it takes nearly a minute to load individual pages.

I was hoping someone would suggest a better PDF reading app or something, I'm just using Adobe.
>>
>>54955442
I have a notebook with everything I need to know simplified in it, the very act of writing them down helps drive them into your memory so you'll probably not even need it after a sesh or two
>>
>>54955568
try to use drive PDF viewer, works fine on my lg.10.1 tablet, which is an oldish tablet weaker than most modern phones
>>
>>54955528
Get out.
>>
>>54952441
The starter set includes a portion of the character options from the phb, a few pre generated characters, and the Lost Mines of Phandelver adventure. It's a good buy to get your feet wet.
>>
>>54952513
>Dontreyvion Blatt
>not Fartrell Cluggins
>>
>>54955568
Use Dropbox, it allows offline downloads, aka faster loading times
>>
What monsters/enemies/creatures have the ability to somehow affect the order of initiative, or depend on it for a specific reason?
>>
>>54955701
Bosses with Legendary abilities who can use a point to get an out of turn attack or a liar effect.
>>
>>54955283
Not a fan i take it?
>>
>>54955279

Level 1 Paladin. Melee and spells.
>>
File: kuruminha.jpg (124KB, 885x902px) Image search: [Google]
kuruminha.jpg
124KB, 885x902px
How do I make a Lawful Good paladin's story not boring as fuck?
>>
>>54955898
PRESENTATION!
>>
>>54955898
How LG we talking? Full Don Quixote? Most important thing is to not fuck your party on their choices but totally drag them around into your hijinks.
>>
>>54955528
>the middle east
Dungeons and dragons is fucking haram, you infidel
>>
>>54955974
LG like, Bahamut is my city
I'm not really worried about how I'm going to RP him, but I'm having troubles on how to make his backstory, I want to make a noble background with parents who sold horses, but I can't find a decent motivation for him other than "My parents were killed by evil men"
>>
>>54955876
you are giving up extra proficiency, extra secrets, the ability to self inspire on ability checks for basically nothing. im all up for playing what ever you enjoy even if its not the most optimal thing, but valor is just so inferior to lore. there is no trade offs, its simply a lesser version
>>
>>54955898
Make them a complete failure that needs to learn from the party
>>
>>54955729
I know of the extra attacks, but what is a "liar effect"? I'm asking because I'm working on a homebrew system, and I'm trying to make sure there aren't any occurrences or creatures who can somehow permanently change the initiative order.
I appreciate the help
>>
>>54956039
Well how are you going to RP him? I meant the That Guy lawful stupid bit just as a passing warning everyone should know. The Don Quixote comment is totally interpretable as any lawful ??? sort of guy. Are you so devoted to something that you'll fight the whole world over it? Are you purely against something, preventing it by any means necessary? Are you beholden to something external which/whom you are absolutely obedient to? Is it a code? An order? a religion? A calling to defend X or Y?

Have you thought out how your character will run mechanically? That can give you some options for backstorying him too. Obviously a religious order won't go in for an oath of vengeance (unless you have a badass god or something).

Can always random-roll it off tvtropes if you're really desperate.
>>
>>54952441
I would definitely buy the starter set cause it's like $12 and definitely at least six sessions worth of material to see if you and your friends like the game. It's a really great module for beginners, players and DMs alike.
>>
>>54956043
Like a naive noble boy that was sheltered his whole life and decided to follow the men of legends that he grew up on? I like that idea

>>54956128
I think I could pull of running a Oath of Vengeance just because that's what he wold think that the people on his books would've done
>>
>>54956118
That was hopefully a typo of lair effect, where the boss does something relating to the area where you're fighting it on a certain initiative count
>>
>>54956205
Thanks
>>
>>54952393
stop being a faggot.
>>
>>54956201
Uncle takes in lil pally after parents death and being a bitter old bastard turns him into a chivalrous vengeance seeking weapon. Twisting the kid's little storybook hero shit into seething hate for all evil and letting him loose in the world for him to have to overcome his own inner demons through rightful smiting.
>>
>>54956201
I was thinking either that, or somebody who has tried over and over again to become a knight, but could never cut it. So they join a party on their adventures to better themselves so they can better themselves and try again
>>
>>54955886
>level 1 paladin
>Spells
>>
>>54956333
IF Variant human it could work
>>
>>54956333

The character will level up, I assume. They'll get to use spells eventually.
>>
I just DM'ed a game with 5 strangers. I played "The Wolves of Welton", and mostly it went well I think. Predictably, it was difficult for me to make voices and really roleplay NPC's. I often reverted to sort of explaining what the characters said, and when I did say something in-character, I felt weird and awkward. I suppose that's fairly normal? I'm not good at voices and such, but beyond that I think I can tell an alright story.

It's interesting to see what ideas the players come up with. A player really want to diplomacy his way out of a sticky situation which resulted in a long dialogue where I had to wing a lot of shit. It was quite tricky. The "Wolves of Welton" features wolves that have been made intelligent, and at one point I explained that their camp had a fence that they were sort of doing maintenance work on. A player grabbed hold to that and wanted me to explain how a wolf can do that.

It's fun being DM and I'll do it again, but I need more experience. I'm learning some interesting things about general story telling. When I tied up some strings for the players they were visibly excited.
>>
Going to be playing a gnome bladesinger in an upcoming game. Think master Yoda fighting style. Starting at level 7.

These are the spells I am taking, am I missing anything? Trying to have a nice variety.

Booming Blade
Green Flame Blade
Minor Illusion (From Forest Gnome)

1st Level:
Charm Person (Considering switching out for absorb elements but the goal is to not get hit)
Find Familiar
Identify
Shield (Main use of First level slots)

2nd Level:
Detect Thoughts
Mirror Image
Invisibility
Suggestion

3rd Level
Clairvoyance
Counterspell
Haste
Melf's Minute Meteors
Remove Curse
Slow
Tidal Wave

4th Level:
Greater Invisibility
Phantasmal Killer
>>
File: cmonbruh.jpg (48KB, 961x222px) Image search: [Google]
cmonbruh.jpg
48KB, 961x222px
>>54951556
>Falling for the blasting meme

I've fixed your spell selection for you.
You can replace firebolt for mage hand or message or something if you have 16dex for x-bowing until you grab another cantrip at 4th.

Go Wildmage for the 'fuck you' -1d4 to enemy saves.
>>
>>54956681
Problem with wild magic is that it is very hungry for your sorcerer points, so while you are wanting to twin/quicken spells fairly often you cant bend luck much at all.
>>
Does a Saving Throw count as an Ability Check? Would a frightened creature have disadvantage on the saving throw to stop being frightened if the source of its fear is within LoS? Or is that only if it specifically says "disadvantage on saving throws"
>>
>>54956042
So if you wanted to build a "combat bard" how would you do it?
>>
>>54953092
amazing diagram
>>
>>54956844
Saving throws are not ability checks. What is causing the fear? I'd say only if the ability specifically said it has disadvantage.
>>
Everyone of my players has a weapon that's some type of family heirloom, or they built it themselves, or it holds the memories of their childhood best friend yadda yadda.

Do I:

> Not reward magical weapons now?
> Potentially upgrade theirs?
> Only give magic weapon upgrades of same weapon type?
> Other?
>>
>>54956928
Thanks, I was just talking about the condition itself caused by my character's actions/dialogue in combat. Scared some bandits and was wondering if they should have had disadvantage on the subsequent saves or not
>>
>>54956844
Nah they're their own thing. Ability checks are any of the stat rolls as well as skills. So init, a 'dex check' for example.

Saves have to be specifically called out.

>>54956860
Fighter 1/Revised Subclasses Favoured Soul Sorc 3 (Quicken & Cleric spells)/Lore Bard X.
2x booming blade (action then quickened as bonus), grab haste with magical secrets for another attack. Shield also important.
Though that'd be 10 levels for a gimmick and your DM is prone to slap your shit with a 'really?' face.
>>
>>54956844
>>54956928
Saving throws are basically ability checks but with a severely limited scope and explicit things that modify them.
>>
>>54956520
You should have at least eight 1st level spells. you don't get to just put all your spell into 3rd level because you are a level 7 wizard
>>
>>54956964
Just give them magic weapons. If they want to use their shitty heirlooms over a sword that shoots fire, that's their own fault
>>
>>54956964
Just give them magic items of the same type. I have a party where everyone prefers different kinds of weapons and it makes rewarding magic items really easy since they always know who it's for.

One character loves longswords, one loves Morningstar's, the other loves crossbows, and the last one loves rapiers.
If they find a cool magic item they're not going to give a shit about their mundane "dad's sword" anymore, they might carry it around with them for sentiment
>>
>>54956860
what is missing exactly in the bard kit for you?
>>
>>54956681
>Have guy playing female sorcerer in party
>Never rps and barely talks in character or out
>All character ever does is blast dps and finish things off
>He's the most devoted of our group and probably enjoys the sessions more than any of us

It annoys me but for no good reason I think i'm just an asshole.
>>
>>54956844
There are three types of rolls in 5e:
1. Attack rolls - anything you roll against AC.
2. Saving throws - always specifically referred to as such, and never rolled by choice.
3. Ability checks - basically everything else.

>>54956983
No, this is explicitly false. The two types of rolls are completely separate in the rules.
>>
>>54957027
You're just an asshole. Lighten up and let them enjoy playing their way if it doesn't actively hinder you.
>>
>>54957032
Yeah, nevertheless the parts contain the same set of rules with minor exceptions. I would almost say a saving throw CONTAINS an ability check but that with explicit statements that you can't modify it like an ability check. Really ugly writing in that part.
>Ability Check: these rules
>Saving throw: almost same rules but with slight differences
The labeling them in that way was forced by their decision on how to apply modifiers specifically failing to write the rules more generally.
>>
>>54955302
What country ? North Africa or really the Middle East ?
>>
>>54957032
Proficiencies are similarly divided.
1. Weapon proficiencies let you add your modifier to attack rolls.
2. Save proficiencies let you add your modifier to saving throws.
3. All other types of proficiencies (skills, tools, etc.) let you add your modifier to ability checks.
4. Armor proficiencies let you use a type of armor without taking disadvantage to anything that involves moving, and should probably have been called something else.

>>54957070
You can say the same for attack rolls. All three of those roll types are 1d20 + ability mod + maybe proficiency modifier. But just because they look the same doesn't mean they're treated the same by the rules, so it's important to not conflate them with each other.
>>
>>54957027
This is when it's the DMs job to say
"We are now going into the Burning Hearth of the Flaming Scorchlands. Where every enemy is immune to fire. Still think having nothing but fire spells was a good idea?"

Most people that play nothing but DPS do this because they've never been challenged and had to do something more complicated than, ya know, say "I cast firebolt/scorching ray/flaming sphere"
>>
>>54952444
www.reddit.com/r/lfg
There are several European time-zone posts on there right now, and more every day.
>>
>>54956518
You will get better with time, I never DM'd, but even as a player I felt a bit awkward speaking in character.
>>
>>54957032
There's also those Death Save rolls for when you are bleeding out.
>>
>>54957107
Even more awful redundancy, should have just written their modifying features better. Features are definitely written to be incredibly general and then the combat mechanics are written so awfully to clamp down on that shit. Can definitely feel they were either written by different people or pressed for time in editing shit.
>But we already sent the class pages out to the printers!
>Well we'll just obscure and fine print the fuck out of the combat pages and require tons of word-of-god clarifications later.
Really all of the fuckups happen in that combat section.
>Was it a ranged attack with a melee weapon or a ranged weapon attack?
>>
>>54957127
>guy is enjoying the game and is engaged in his own way
>let's shit on his fun for no reason other than to shit on it

If he was obviously bored and not giving a fuck about the game, that'd be one thing, but maybe being quiet and observing and then doing his blasting is what he enjoys.
>>
>>54957148
If it's called a saving throw, it's a saving throw. The section on death saving throws explicitly mentions the throws are modified by anything that affects saving throws.
That is correct, paladins are even more OP than you thought.
Also this implies that RAW, Diamond Soul grants proficiency on death saving throws. Noice.
>>
>>54957147
How do people feel about basically narrating the conversation, instead of acting it out?

Things like: "The king sighs heavily, and tells you his daughters kidnapping weighs heavily on him" and yadda yadda. Obviously more detail but yes.
>>
My group is going to be playing Curse of Strahd, and I'll be playing a Warlock. I don't really know which subclass to go for mechanics wise though. Which subclass would offer me the best fluff and crunch?
>>
>>54957250
It's fine. Just DM how you prefer to do it.
>>
>>54957250
they feel all sorts of ways, ask your players. I don't know any players who have absolutely refused to not play pretend with silly voices and that stuff though.
>>
>>54957250
My DM pretty much always does this. When I DM I do a combination of that (for most random non important npcs) and changing my voice.
>>
>>54957259
Before the shitstorm starts:
*Patron: pick any you like. They're all decent and won't have too much of an effect on how you fight.
*Pact Boon: don't pick blade and you'll be good. Chain gives you a great scout, and Tome gives you potential access to lots of rituals.
If you want fun fluff, work with your DM on who or what exactly your patron is.
>>
>>54956201
>Like a naive noble boy that was sheltered his whole life and decided to follow the men of legends that he grew up on? I like that idea

Isn't that actually Don Quixote?
>>
Do you guys give warlocks any sort of goals they have to achieve or something from their patron? Every time I've seen someone play a warlock, their patron has never come up
>>
>>54957312
With a little less insanity, pretty much.
>>
>>54957250
It's fine to get the point across or sum up some back and forth acting.
I know some players don't mind at all.

>HAVING TO SOLVE 9 FUCKING CAPTCHA TO POST
>>
>>54957312
Well Don Quixote becomes insane after reading too many novels
>>
>>54957287
Ok thanks for the advice, I'm torn between the Raven Queen and the Undying, I like the fluff on both of them but can't decide whether I want to be the party eye or magical tank.
>>
>>54957287
Ok thanks for the advice, I'm torn between the Raven Queen and the Undying, I like the fluff on both of them but can't decide whether I want to be the party eye or more of a tank.
>>
>>54957331
My DM had way too much fun with my patron. She was an occasional questgiver and a continuous thorn in my side. Much of my personal character development was from a rebellious servant to valued agent.
At the end of the final boss battle, in which I died, my team asked a god they freed to revive me. He said he couldn't because my soul belonged to another, at which point she showed up and carried my body away.
Pretty epic stuff. Thanks, Pat.
>>
>>54956991
DM was fine with it so... fuck you?
>>
>>54957607
>my DM is fine with it
Well your DM is wrong
>>
>>54957749
>your DM is wrong

Well in my Dm's game he has final say and he is fine with it, so thanks for the useless shitposting.
>>
File: IMG_1383.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1383.png
490KB, 449x401px
>>54957841
>he's using this argument again
>>
>>54957880
>>54957841
>>54957749
>>54957607
You're both right, and you're both wrong.
According to the rules, you shouldn't be able to have that many spells above 1st-level.
Also according to the rules, the DM can change whatever they please.
Now can you stop this pointless argument with no possible winner or at least settle it in the bedroom?
>>
>>54957911
Literally this. I just wanted advice on spell choices not rules lawyering.
>>
>>54957911
Eh. Dude who posted initially is "more wrong". He asked for advice without specifying that his DM was allowing a rule change. When someone pointed out the fact his list isn't allowed by rules, he got aggressive about it. No one gives a shit if the DM modifies rules, but don't be a dick about it.
>>
How intelligent is a ghast, relatively speaking? Is it smart enough to overcome it's lust for flesh and hatred of all living things to let adventurers pass though ghoul-infested lands unmolested? Obviously it'd need to be getting the better end of some kind of deal but do they have the smarts/willpower?
>>
>>54957973
We play 5e here not DM fiat
>>
>>54957996
Ooh, it could be wearing a headband of intellect
>>
>>54957973
Shits not rules lawyering dude. It's you literally going "hey I want advice" "uh you can't do this" "fuck you my DM said I can". The automatic reaction to this is going to be ridiculing you for being pointlessly aggressive about it, and wondering if this is something your DM intentionally allowed or if you showed your DM your spell list and he said "yeah sure this looks fine" because he doesn't know what the rules are.

If you want tips, say so. If someone says your build breaks rules, just say that you discussed it with your DM and he is okay with you not following spell rules.
>>
>>54958014
Boi, I like the way you think
>>
>>54958047
I like coming up with good ideas
>>
>>54957987
That's fair, Anon did get a bit aggressive about a seemingly-innocent rules correction. Still, nobody wants 50 posts of them arguing.
>>
>>54958116
>>54958116
YES WE DO, this is 4chan ya faggot
>>
What can a dm do to shut down a mobile rogue's 80 movement+disengage shenanigans?
>>
>>54958162
Ask yourself why you want to shut it down
>>
>>54958135
>this is 4chan
>therefore we prefer off-topic arguments in game-specific threads on hobby-specific boards
Kill yourself
>>
This just happened in my session

>White dragon Lair
>There are bodies of fallen warriors entombed in Ice
>Be the Bard
>Already spent your Wall of Fire clearing other structures
>I want to stone shape the ice away please
>DM immediately triggered
>Ice cannot possibly count as a rock
>"Okay whatever man, that's wrong but you do you"
>IT'S WRONG, IT'S NOT STONE, OBVIOUSLY, IT'S SOLID WATER
>Dm gets personally angered triggered, and insufferably out of tracks at the idea of having a player who thinks he's wrong, even if the player does not challenge his Fiat in any way
>Dude, it's literally a mineral, but that's fine l, I can just blow an hour prestidigitating jugs of hot tea ontop it
>NO YOU CAN'T
>Can't? Just "can't?"
>CAN'T!
>Jesus Christ, fine, I cast Fabricate on the ice Pilar to create a solid ice chair to the right of the pillar and sit down for a minute.
>DM flips furiously through the manual, certain I cannot dare to solve his epic problem like this
>YOU CAN'T
>Why not?
>Fabricate only allows you to move 5 feet of material when dealing with Stone and Metal and ahum "other hard substances"!!!

Just fuck me up already senpai
>>
>>54958162
Ranged attacks
>>
>>54958186
It was an ontopic argument
>>
>>54958162
Ranged enemies

Grapples

Immobilizing traps and spells

But like>>54958182 said, you shouldn't be doing it if you just want to be a sadist or live out some power fantasy. It should be part of the challenge of an encounter
>>
>>54957973
You blew your chance.
>>
>>54958224
>"he's using this argument again"
>laughingwomen.png
It was no longer on-topic.
>>
>>54958204
To be fair stone shaping ice is fucking retarded. Prestidigitation would have worked, just taken a fuck load of time.
>>
File: 8bt3.png (15KB, 154x196px) Image search: [Google]
8bt3.png
15KB, 154x196px
How often should I be giving out magic items? I started with 4E where they weren't so potent, and I'm worried I may have already used too heavy a hand
>>
>>54958246
>Retarded
Come on Anon, not you too...
>>
>>54958204
>My DM didn't let me use a spell on something it was clearly not intended to affect
>I shall post on 4chan and portray him as a cartoon in order to gain the neckbeards' sympathy
>>
>>54958162
thats my favorite thing to do
I often dash just for the heck of it
>>
>>54958135
Wow it is like there wasn't at its inception habing different boards that have different anons with varying personalities that fit the board they always post and lurk..
>>
>>54958277
"You touch a stone object" Ice is not stone, or else it would be called as such. Sorry m8 but I would have said "ok you cast stone shape and try to grasp at what you think is stone" Unless you are talking about the ground underneath and are basically shaving the ice away.
>>
File: IMG_1765.jpg (122KB, 906x879px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1765.jpg
122KB, 906x879px
>>54958244
Yes it was, how would my use of a reaction gif make it any less topical?
also looks like mr "it was offtopic" is leading us offtopic
>>
>>54958084
Literally perfect for what I was looking for, my quest finally makes sense! While you're here to bounce ideas off what kind of traps are fun apart from the old spikepit daubed in excrement gag?
>>
>>54958162
>>54958291
I have a bladesinger wizard player in my game, who literally does everything in his power not to get hit. After dealing with it for a few months I've just stopped attacking him with baddies unless its really convenient. I dont think he has noticed because he still tries to bullshit/break the game constantly.
>>
>>54958318
So by your definition, if I had cast it on granite, it would fail because of all the Quartz?
Gotcha
>>
>>54958204
Well you can't Stone Shape ice, but he was being a jerk about it. He should have either let you, told you ice isn't stone and offered a suggestion, or just let you lick the fucking ice down for all it mattered. There's never a reason to go bananas because of a rule
>>
>>54954679
Shadow of the Moonsea
Flames of Kythorn
Embers of Elmwood

There are obviously more but I can't remember the names.
>>
>>54958357
By my definition you're being retarded
>>
>>54958014
>>54958047
>>54958084
>>54958355
Do be careful though, if it's supposed to be an NPC the party should talk to I'd bet 99% chance they're just gonna murder it as soon as they find out it's got a HBoI and then a party member now has 19 INT permanently.
>>
>>54958357
Yeah if you want to get that bullshitty, for sure. I DM off of common sense, as soon as my players want to get fucking retarded with it, I will too. I go off of what is generally considered stone. You dont look at a tree and say "thats a stone/rock"
>>
>>54958394
But he has an afro so you can't see the headband
>>
>>54958357
>Rules Lawyers
>Current Date
>>
>>54952441
but people using their phones as a reference tool instead of everyone sharing a $50 dollar book is way more efficient. especially if you use a d n d character sheet program so its all just right there.
>>
>>54958394
That's a valid point but so far the party consists of two thinkers rather than murderhobos, as soon as the designated retard shows up next week that headband should be long gone
>>
>>54958381
Says the guy who proudly fails to grasp a concept in a way that would rightly have any junior high teacher struggling not to give you a slap
>>
>>54958405
No, I see that's a bio organism

I look at ice and say

>"As a naturally occurring crystalline inorganic solid with an ordered structure, ice fits the properties of a mineral.[4] It possesses a regular crystalline structure based on the molecule of water,"
>>
File: IMG_1382.jpg (56KB, 600x494px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1382.jpg
56KB, 600x494px
>>54958462
>>
>>54958483
But that isnt the common usage of the word stone you fuck. If you really want to do that, "ok you grasp at the ice because you think you have some godly int score, but fail to realize there is extremely low amount of minerals in said frozen water and you fail to move the ice in any way"
>>
File: 1487919818813.jpg (22KB, 277x296px) Image search: [Google]
1487919818813.jpg
22KB, 277x296px
>>54958483
>>
>>54958526
Don't care if its bait, still fucking retarded
>>
>>54955186
well she's not going to learn anything about roleplaying playing by herself.

or exploring for that matter.
>>
What are the average stats of a Goliath would you guys say?
Str16
Dex13
Con16
Int10
Wis9
Cha10

This look right?
>>
>>54958204
>>White dragon Lair
>>There are bodies of fallen warriors entombed in Ice
That's a pretty sweet idea, actually. I like that.
>>
>>54958587
I'd switch int and wis, but yeah looks pretty good.
>>
>running my first ever campaign tomorrow
>nervous
Me and my friends have played a few campaigns together, they're all much more experienced than I am.

Everyone was too busy to put together a new campaign but we all wanted to play, so I offered to run a one shot/short campaign.

I've done some planning, and think I have enough notes written down to wing it if they go off in their own direction.

It's a simple lvl1 adventure, any tips/fun ideas to include?! Any help would be awesome.
>>
>>54958597
Reason why Wis is because they are notorious for being stubborn SoBs that never have enough Wisdom from elders in their community. Most don't live long at all because of their stubborn nature and such.
>>
>>54958588
Foreshadowing is an art, I wish I was better at it. I think I'm just a lousy writer, but it doesn't make me want to be good any less
>>
>>54958483
>Mammals are animals
>Mammals have hair and milk
>Coconuts have hair and milk
"My DM won't let me cast 'speak with beasts' on a coconut, what the fuck."
>>
>>54958611
Have some bounties set up and make it be like Witcher where there are a few local creatures causing farmer Bob or whatever problems.
>>
>>54958513
> Advocating for baseless Fiat
And that stupidity is fine I'm just saying then when Fabricate comes to town, it's not down to you to double down on the retarded
>>
>>54958611
>I've done some planning
You haven't
>think I have enough notes
You don't
>wing it
Inevitable

But that's all okay. 50% of DMing is landing on your feet when the players do something you never anticipated. Just remember you're there to facilitate the game, not fight the players, and really you've got nothing to worry about
>>
>>54957331
My patron essentially forced a pact onto my character. They were a demon who fell into madness, and the pact came with a portion of his will which formed its own personality, and it was trying to take over my body. We formed a plan with the help of a powerful wizard which could break the pact, potentially removing his influence over me and also weaken my patron at the same time, then we would trap him and somehow kill him. A lucky roll on the Fighter's Nine Lives Stealer meant that his soul did not return to the Hells, and instead was trapped inside one of its gems.

However, the plan was formed with the help of the other personality, and they had manipulated our plan in such a way that when the pact was broken, that personality gained its own body which looks identical to my character. So now I have a clone of myself somewhere, apparently travelling the Planes in search of power according to my DM.
>>
>>54958637
I really like that idea, thank you!!

Current adventure is set around stopping a threat that's effecting the village and their economy, But a bounty board is a sweet idea to make the place feel more alive or give them something else to do.

>>54958652
Good advice thank you. I've really tried to focus on the 'not fighting the party' part, and drawn up a few interesting NPCs they can encounter at random that I hope will leave to some pretty cool RP moments. Since we're heavy on the roleplay and don't like our sessions to be mostly combat. (Our last adventure was mostly fighting and we talked about how we were getting tired of it after the fact)
>>
>>54958204
why can't you stone shape ice? it's a mineral.
>>
>>54957021
I'm not really sure, I've always played Frontline characters (paladins mostly) so I'm used to the sword and spells thing.
>>
>>54958907
it ain't stone though
>>
>>54956979
What if UA isn't allowed?
>>
>>54958318
Ice is stone. Stone is just frozen lava. Water is just ice lava.
>>
>>54958513
ice is a mineral you fucking faggot.
>>
>>54958984
>>54958967
Samefag
>>
>>54958627
except that ice is actually a mineral and a coconut is not a mammal.
>>
>>54958953
Yes it is. Stone is defined as hard, non-metallic, mineral matter.

You fucking stupid faggot.
>>
>>54952085
>neckbeard necromancer
>not neckbeardmancer

vriend, nee
>>
>>54959009
next time you're eating out, ask them to put some stones in your drink
>>
>>54958966
Hmm you could always go the simpler and obvious route Paladin 2 (or 6, depending on you)/Lore Bard X since they both run off Cha.

Take haste just like before, but you wont be able to quicken stuff
Though that doesn't matter as much, since you'll be a full caster able to shit out smites all day.

Wont have shield but you can use Cutting Words to lower an enemies attack roll though that's really a waste desu
>>
>>54959059
an aggregate of mineral matter
>>
I want to make one key encounter of a dungeon when the party is resting. One of the cultists leaders and a few of his minions will try to ambush the party when they are unprepared.

But I have the feeling that if the party really needs the short/long rest at that point they could be driven in an unfair situation. How do I balance that?

Should I just let the enemies suprise them after the rest outside of their room? Or should they be disturbed during the rest, making the encounter far more dangerous (maybe give them half of the benefit of the rest)?
>>
>>54952692
Probably wants us to spoon feed him with the answer.
>>
>>54959100
>>54959086
Have fun never playing the game with real people in real life and only posting on 4chan and being a little contrary cunt everyone hates.

I have clearly won the argument and will be leaving now bye.
>>
>>54959110
Roll for it. If they're unlucky they'll get attacked before receiving any benefits from resting. Dungeons are not safe places. Reward them if they take precautions though.
>>
>>54959132
M A D
>>
>>54959091
Should i worry about taking any feats? If i do go to 6, is there a go-to oath?
>>
>>54954565
If he has to ask about core class features, don't let him use them. Can't remember spell DC? Sorry, you lose your action. Can't remember your Bardic Inspiration Die? Same thing. Force him to take the Dodge action instead. He'll either get his act together or quit, but either would be beneficial for your table.

I had a Rogue player that never remembered or wrote down his Sneak Attack die, so he never got to use it for the longest time. Faggot quit soon after, but we were better off without him.
>>
>>54958273
Very very rarely, really.
>>
>>54959219
>You start to cast a spell but eventually begin chanting a recipe for cake instead
>roll for hunger
>>
>>54959222
that's a meme, the official adventures give out plenty of magic items.
>>
>>54958564
I'll make a DMPC to play along with her. The condition is that my PC is mute.
>>
>>54959261
Why would you do that? Dont play with mutes. Don't acknowledge mutes.
>>
>>54959197
I haven't thought too much about this stuff since multiclassing actually triggers the fuck out of me. But looking it over if you were going to 6th it'd be more about getting the +CHA to saves (you do have a baller CHA don't you?) making you a mage killing juggernaut. Vengeance spell list looks pretty nice though you'd probably be casting Bless instead of hunters mark, but both Hold person and Misty Step are good spells.
If you care about damage, the Sacred Weapon channel divinity of Devotion gives you more ATTACK which is great since you have a good cha (right??) greatly lowering the cost of two handed GWM greatswording/mauling. The spells suck for Devotion though.
I do love the idea of the Ancients entangle though, but it doesn't feel practical.
>>
File: IMG_4158.png (351KB, 426x426px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4158.png
351KB, 426x426px
>Fun LVL1 Encounters
GO!
>>
File: fh_centurion-media-carousel_2[1].jpg (118KB, 1903x1070px) Image search: [Google]
fh_centurion-media-carousel_2[1].jpg
118KB, 1903x1070px
Warrior Battle Master with the Duelist fighting style or a Monk of WoTOH with a short sword ?
>>
>>54959312
senile old man with donkey that has a broken wagon
>>
>>54959197
>>54959302
As for feats, since I just stroked out and forgot to include them, that's the most flexible part if you're playing V. Human. You could take Resilient Con or Warcaster to shore up those saves. If you want pure DAMAGE grab Great Weapon Master for the -5/+10 hit damage. Then theres all the gimicks you could do. Or, if you really are embracing the 'I'm boosting CHA to 20, fuck you and your mages saving throw spells' you can grab Alert so you can always position yourself first at the start of combat.

Really it's very open for this build and all comes down to what you want to do.
>>
>>54959285
My mystic refuses to speak out loud as his quirk. He's only able to communicate by telepathy and that works on one person at a time unless he focuses on telepathic contact so he can speak to 6 people at once.
And since telepathy requires that you see the target he's completely blocked off if the lights go out.
>>
>>54959351
-4 charisma.
>>
>>54959326
The senile old man attacks them? I'm confused here
>>
>>54959358
-3 actually
>>
>>54959359
He doesn't even know what he's doing but as he becomes more agitated, confused over why his wagon won't move, whipping the donkey repeatedly, it breaks free and attacks.
The old man also lashes out at anything he can see.

>>54959366
K, thats not bad.
>>
>>54959380
>you come across an old man beating a donkey
I can imagine the arguments between the party already, thanks anon

>>54959312
Anyone else??
>>
>>54955639
>>54956181
Sound worth it then. Six sessions is more than enough for what I was hoping to get out of a starter kit. Thanks a lot.

>>54958442
I would agree if it weren't a group of newbies. At least for the first few sessions I want people to keep their focus on the game before them and keep phones away from the table the best I am able to. Once we start expanding our game then I'll lax on avoiding phones.
>>
>>54959302
I've never MC'ed before honestly, i just have this idea of a spell sword in my head and straight valor bard seems lackluster. Lore bard just seem to have alot more goin for it
>>
>>54959469
Yep, lore bard has some amazing MC options.

I keep trying to justify a mastermind and failing.
>>
Does anyone have that pdf with race creation guidelines for racial traits? The one that added or substracted points based on how 'good' racials are, comparing totals amongst published races.

My friend is trying to make a dumb homebrew race for an upcoming game and wanted to make it to be on about the same level as most other PHB stuff.
>>
>>54959524
take a phb race, refluff it. Punch him in the balls when he screams about how it's not the same.
If you feel really generous, refluff a volo's race.
>>
>>54959469
If you want to do it in a perfectly AL legal way without any multiclassing, and trigger optimizers here's what you do.

Sorcerer. Straight dragon sorcerer.
V. Human
Before feat stats: 8 16 16 8 14 10 (yes, dump CHA, why keep wis? Perception and WIS saves REALLY suck to fail.)
Weapon Master feat (No, I'm not joking, +1 Dex)
Rapier with 17DEX now. At 4th take Resilient (Dex) to now be proficient there with 18DEX now.

Take Booming Blade with Subtle Spell and Quicken as your metamagics. Depending on your paranoia you can take twin instead of subtle but I can't recommend it. Mirror Image and Shield spells are both a must. Ignore anything requiring CHA to hit or offers the enemy a save.
At 5th grab Haste.
You'll be sitting at 17AC (19AC hasted, 24AC if Shield) firing out 3d8+2d8+12 a round (add another 2d8 if the enemy moves)
It's pretty fun, though still weak to WIS save spells. Decent HP as well with 42 at 5th
>>
>>54959285
My DMPC is mute, not my girlfriend's PC. It's just a way as to not reveal information me, as DM, know about the campaign, and let her decide where they are going.
>>
I'm new to dnd so maybe i'm dumb but isn't the quarterstaff literally just a better mace? For less than half the price you get the same damage but the option to two hand it for more damage. Aside from that they're identical.
>>
>>54959739
>AL legal
Is that why you're going for Dragon and not Stone?

Regardless, I'm not the requester but this build looks interesting. Is the metamagic the reason you went with Sorcerer rather than another arcane class?
>>
>>54959783
Yes. Weapon differences are pretty bad in 5e. Most of the time you will just take something for flavour, like using a mace because it fits the character better and you will always use a shield anyway
>>
Hey /5e/, I love 5e but my next game will want to focus on one city, and I want the players to do individual scheming/plotting/stuff, but I also want even city guards with spears to be a threat to people and not just a fireball away from solved.

So I'm thinking of using a different system. What systems would produce a similar feel to D&D but would allow for marginal success/failures of skills, allow for characters to be more custom, etc?
>>
>>54959132
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>54959905
warhammer fantasy
>>
>>54959905
Pathfinder.
>>
>>54959086
On the rocks?
>>
>>54959905
gurps
>>
>>54959312
>A swarm of mink escape the local furfarm to the joy of vegan faggots everywhere until they start flowing through the cracks in their skirting boards

>Drunks start getting rowdy, roll on disadvantage 100% of the time but pack a punch

>A lone goblin boss attempts to make a name for himself by dressing up in a dead noble's clothes, youths start beating him up for loose change. But which do our intrepid heros hate more, the murderous goblin or a gang of teenage hoodrats?
Please call the goblin Maxley for that, I love me some Fable lore

>Wolves come down from the mountains across a frozen river to hunt PC flesh in the harsh winter months

>Slum dwellers live in fear of local dragon, turns out to be a winged cobalt with the thaumaturgy cantrip anddelusions of grandeur

>Sexy harpy in the red light district leads degenerates to their doom wto the tune of Peggy Lee's "Big Spender"

>Pike in the canal

>The Druid releasing pike into the canal

>A parrot learns the Vicious Mockery cantrip and is thus unstoppable
>>
>>54960227
>many keks
I like these and I like you,
>>
>>54960227
100% pure kek anon, wonderful job
>>
Thoughts on bardlocks? Are they any good? Does the dip into warlock offer some good advantages?
>>
>>54960260
>>54960300
Thanks anons! I've got my second sesh as DM this monday and I'm thinking of using the parrot
>>
>>54960227
That parrot. Also many keks were had.
>>
What enemies could I add in an bullywug centered dungeon? I need a stronger one, because I already have enough small fry
>>
>>54960527
A froghemoth of course
>>
>>54960527
Orcus
>>
>>54960549
This, nothing better
>>
>>54960527
Every room should have at least 5 owlbears.
>>
>>54960527
Wullybug
>>
>>54960527
Kraken. They come in all flavors. Subterranean, freshwater, lava, deep space, whatever. If there's water, there are kraken.
>>
File: warhammer.jpg (36KB, 1024x800px) Image search: [Google]
warhammer.jpg
36KB, 1024x800px
What's the coolest weapon to wield, and why is it a warhammer?
>>
>>54960927
That's probly a light hammer in 5e. Maybe a maul, but if so only barely.
>>
File: smallsword.jpg (112KB, 532x800px) Image search: [Google]
smallsword.jpg
112KB, 532x800px
>>54960927
Smallswords are fancy as fuck
>>
>>54958995
Actually not, I dumped you autists a few hours back
>>
>>54960961
Those post were made within 2 minutes of each other 2 hours ago

I said those 2 posters were the same fag, nothing about you, autist
>>
>>54960331
I'm thinking of taking just 2 levels for invocations, and for EB and GFB
>>
>>54960927
Daggers, obviously
>>
I want some minis but I don't want to go bankrupt either. I've heard pathfinder pawns are good for that, does anyone know which is the best all-around one?
>>
File: IMG_0788.png (101KB, 210x195px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0788.png
101KB, 210x195px
>>54961045
I'm rich and I buy minis, fucking pathfinder pawn poorfag
>>
>>54961038
Fucking filler bosses, man.
https://youtu.be/Kn4uonU_uj0?t=6m26s
>>
>>54961045
Just get some reaper bones minis.
>>
>>54960927
I like spadroons
>>
File: Ferrum Recksin.jpg (42KB, 450x613px) Image search: [Google]
Ferrum Recksin.jpg
42KB, 450x613px
>>54960927
Definitely wide bladed polearms.
>>
>>54961363
Not directly related, but some images really age well. I remember seeing that picture over 10 years ago on photobucket looking up anime pictures.
>>
File: tumblr_oqqrlu3UZA1v4fvg9o1_1280.jpg (99KB, 685x1187px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oqqrlu3UZA1v4fvg9o1_1280.jpg
99KB, 685x1187px
>>54960927
>>54960958
Rapiers and Smallswords.
>>
>>54960927
Greatsword is best for max damage, and best in the name
>>
>>54961004
And as only one of those posters, I'm telling you that you're wrong, but like, all things considered, I suppose that's not a strange feeling to you
>>
>>54961689
Hmmm, I'm never wrong there must be some mistake
>>
Make a new thread.
>>
>>54961769
Its not hard faggot just do it
>>
>>54961769
Why don't you?
>>
>>54961807
I'm on a phone, which makes it more difficult.
>>
>>54961851
So am I, I'll fo it faggot
>>
>>54961903
wat
>>
>>54961865
>>54961903
smart phoneposter
>>
>>54961903
Well fucked up.
>>
>>54961897
>>54961897
>>54961897
>>
New thread
>>54961933
>>54961933
>>54961933
>>
>>54961918
>>54961946
Oh no
>>
Post to remove the name
>>
>>54961946
DELET THIS
>>
>>54961946
You're late but the other guy did magnificently fuck up so I'm game. Multi thread drifting?
>>
>>54961946
So I have to choose between /a/ and /pol/?
>>
>>54962025
that was always true
>>
>>54962025
This is difficult
>>
>>54962025
Guess we chose /a/
>>
>>54962078
We chose the one that was posted first and didn't fuck up the subject box
Thread posts: 398
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.