[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starfinder General /sfg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 60

File: SF Maid.jpg (159KB, 560x800px) Image search: [Google]
SF Maid.jpg
159KB, 560x800px
Starfinder General /sfg/

How can we make solarians suck a little less and envoys suck way less?

/sfg/ Link Repository (Starfinder): https://pastebin.com/3GfJKi0y

Old Thread: >>54721373
>>
>>54724490
Solarians: get rid of the needless specialization into photons or gravitons.

Envoys: Apply Phrenic Adept archetype.
>>
>>54724490
>How can we make solarians suck a little less and envoys suck way less?
Solarians are fine, they have a bunch of cool tricks and do good damage now that we have the equipment section. Envoys on the other hand...... the only thing I can think of is giving them bard-like spellcasting or making the duration of their buffing abilities last for longer
>>
Season 1 of SFS is based around an event outside of the Pact Worlds.
>>
The Mechanic really needs some more class skills. 4+ Int doesn't work out too well when you are int-based and only have 8 class skills. Most engineers will end up with no real choice beyond what profession they'd like
>>
>>54724675
cant you take non class skills?
>>
File: Iconic goods.jpg (433KB, 976x949px) Image search: [Google]
Iconic goods.jpg
433KB, 976x949px
>>54724534
I mean, being charisma based is nice and all, but we really need to, like, just use the bard from Pathfinder with some acceptable changes for Starfinder.
>>
>>54724534
>do good damage now that we have the equipment section

Uh, what?

1d6 + Strength is still really mediocre.

And solarian weapon crystals are really expensive.
>>
>>54724534
Now that we've seen equipment we know that the Solarion weapon is shit. Any theorycrafting is probably going to be centered around the armour.
>>
>>54724689

You can but it's not really a great situation to not be able to put skill points to full use.

Mechanic: 8 Class Skills
Envoy: 16 Class Skills
Mystic: 12 Class Skills
Operative: 16 Class Skills
Solarian: 10 Class Skils
Soldier: 8 Class Skills
Technomancer: 8 Class Skills

Technomancers and Mechanics both very quickly run into 'Oh fuck, out of class skills' because they have the lowest number of them + Int being the primary stat for them.
>>
>>54724742
I cant get the Imgur to work it keeps telling me all the images are corrupt so I cant check myself but do the themes or archetypes not act like traits and give you more class skills? failing that is there nothing to get more class skills with?
>>
File: fcbcb6e2e2445956ccd482056b56f679.png (642KB, 750x1154px) Image search: [Google]
fcbcb6e2e2445956ccd482056b56f679.png
642KB, 750x1154px
If you start at 5th-level, you can have the Powered Armor Proficiency feat and afford a Battle Harness.

Why not be a halfling soldier with Constitution 18 who goes from Strength 8 to Strength 18 while in a Battle Harness?

For that matter, how do Resolve Points work with powered armor?
>>
File: 6515016.png (17KB, 231x234px) Image search: [Google]
6515016.png
17KB, 231x234px
>>54724742
And? Plenty of classes in Pathfinder don't have class skills in perception, yet everyone still puts points into it. Expand your horizons.
>>
>>54724769
Because then you're an unclean hobbit vermin
>>
>>54724767

You can spend a feat to get 2 more class skills. Themes can add a single class skill (But only if you don't already have it.
>>
>>54724769
Oh man does this mean I can recreate my Dragon Blood Juicer from RIFTS using a Pathfinder Alchemist and Power Armour?
>>
>>54724769

Powered armour replaces your strength score?
>>
>>54724769
>>54724801
just read the resolve section - you could easily play a soldier with Dex as their primary stat out of power armor, then swap to strength inside their power armor.
>>
>>54724790

That doesn't really stop it being a bit of a design issue. Starfinder feels like it could have done with more editing to pick up some issues here and there.
>>
>>54724808
yeah! it uses the defined strength score of the power armor in question. the size, too. the best general-use power armor - the Battle Harness - brings your strength up to 18.
>>
>>54724838

Interesting. Is suppose it's not high enough to be better than someone focusing on it as they level but it's a nice improvement for most people.
>>
>>54724857
That's my thoughts on it as well. It does come with a maximum dexterity bonus, but that's just one of those things you have to deal with.
>>
>>54724880

Does make me wonder if we'll see similar things for other stats. Like cybernetics that make you Int 16 if you would be dumber. Uplift Augmentation or something.
>>
Are there any roles that look like they could do with more covering in Starfinder?

I'm dicking about a Drone/Robobrain alternative for Mechanics. Transhumanist. Unarmed brawler with a lot of cybernetic fluff. Filling the monk role for Starfinder without being Monk In Space.
>>
>>54725083

What roles does the Solarien have? This is pretty much what I imagine they would be doing using their powers to form cestus and boots so they can punch and kick things with light and gravity
>>
i want leakanon to post setting
>>
>>54724700
I'd iconic her goods
>>
>>54725102

Solarians are more or less 'Any melee'. They can do unarmed but the weapon doesn't actually change rules based on size.
>>
>>54725147

Well it's not as if we have any large races to deal with as of yet or the ability to spam enlarge for extra damage.
>>
>>54725199

Ah, I meant more 'If it's a polearm or a punch' more than comically oversized melee weapons.
>>
Anyone have images of the exocortex stuff? The imgur has drone rules but not exocortex.
>>
File: 1501263136915.jpg (78KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1501263136915.jpg
78KB, 1280x720px
>>54725147
I thought that Solarian Armor guys could do ranged?

Not that solarians are any good though, they kind of suck.
>>
File: 1492526897529.jpg (91KB, 450x448px) Image search: [Google]
1492526897529.jpg
91KB, 450x448px
>>54724526
>Envoys: Apply Phrenic Adept archetype.

But that still doesn't fix how shit they are.
>>
>>54725293

Yeah, I mispoke.

Solarian Armour can do ranged (But are not great at it. They only get sidearms and most Solarian abilities are short range stuff). Solarian Weapon is melee only.
>>
File: Mechanic6.jpg (2MB, 5026x3263px) Image search: [Google]
Mechanic6.jpg
2MB, 5026x3263px
>>54725229
>>
>>54725301
Yes, but the question was how to make them suck way less, not how do we fix how shit they are. Applying said archetype helps them suck less, but doesn't fix their core problems.
>>
>>54725348
Rewrite Envoy's active abilities entirely, taking inspiration from 4e's Warlord?
>>
File: Future Knight.jpg (49KB, 541x800px) Image search: [Google]
Future Knight.jpg
49KB, 541x800px
An interesting thing I noticed after looking into it is that if you want to be a pure melee monster in this game, you actually don't want to be in power armor.

Let me explain; the best power armor (Jarlslayer) brings your speed down to 20, gives you +24 KAC, +18 EAC, brings your size up to large, gives you two upgrade slots (not great) and 2 weapon slots, and brings your strength up to 29. That's really good.

However, someone that starts with 18 strength, +1 from their theme, +4 from levels, and +6 from a stat-booster will have the same amount of strength. Vesk Monolith level 3 armor (A level 20 suit) gives you +26 EAC, +27, reduces your speed by 5, only has a -2 armor check penalty, and has an absolutely massive 7 upgrade slots. If you're an Armor Storm soldier or picked it as your secondary, you can even install power armor mods into it at no extra cost. The only things it doesn't make up for are losing large size and not having integrated weapon slots, but I'd say that's weighed out by not needing to carry around a shitload of ultra-size batteries to keep your dwarfsuit running.

It doesn't hurt you too bad if you don't want to go all-in on strength, either, since the difference between 26 strength and 29 strength isn't particularly appreciable most of the time.
>>
>>54724790
>perception
Has perception been nerfed in SF, as in, I don't need to max it or even skill it at all?
>>
>>54725685
>paizo
>nerfing dumb skill shit

Expect to need it more than ever, as it's probably tied to sensors now as well. If you don't need a separate perception skill to use the readout on your HUD in addition to looking with your eyes.
>>
At 1st-level, a ranged soldier with an azimuth artillery laser targets EAC and deals 1d10 (average 5.5) damage. A soldier has full BAB.

At 1st-level, an operative with an azimuth laser pistol targets EAC and deals 1d4+1d4 (average 5) damage on a trick attack, which also flat-foots the enemy. A halfling or ysoki operative (ghost) with Dexterity 18 will probably have Stealth +17 for trick attacks.

At 7th-level, a soldier with an aphelion artillery laser (level 9, price 14,300 credits) targets EAC and deals 3d8+7 (average 20.5) deals. A soldier has full BAB. If they selected Laser Accuracy with a gear boost, they will have another +1 attack bonus. Hit-and-Run and Sharpshoot can help with full attacking.

At 7th-level, an operative with an aphelion laser pistol (level 9, price 14,820 credits) targets EAC and deals 3d4+4d8+3 (average 28.5) damage on a trick attack, which will always succeed due to specialization skill mastery, and which will flat-foot the enemy and apply a debilitating trick debuff. The operative also has a good number of selectable talents to spare, compared to the soldier.

What gives? Why is it that, out-of-the-box, an operative is only slightly worse-off than a ranged soldier at shooting people? Is this not a little unfair, considering that the operative is also a skill monkey extraordinaire with 10 base skill points, a scaling bonus to all skills, and a variety of skill benefits?

While the soldier is spending their specialization and their class talents to upgrade their shooting skills, the operative has far less of an opportunity cost for killing potential, and can afford to upgrade themselves in other avenues.

The operative seems like the metaphorical "golden child" of the five non-caster classes. Is Paizo pushing a player towards being an omnicompetent John Wick in space, with an energy pistol held in Center Axis Relock?

Have I missed anything here?
>>
>>54725749
I don't care what anybody says, you're the best.
>>
File: Soldiers.jpg (200KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
Soldiers.jpg
200KB, 1280x768px
>>54725749
>five non-caster classes
There's only four out of the six that are non-casters, first off.

Second, you're not addressing the fact that sure, the operative can deal more straight damage, a soldier will be harder to kill, gets higher bonus damage, can wield heavy weapons at all, has easy access to power armor, can get cheaper armor mods with the right specialization, can slap an enchantment on their weapon with the right specialization, and generally has more options than the Operative in terms of gear.

The oprtative is better at skills and can hit single targets harder, but the soldier has a lot more staying power on the battlefield, access to actual AoE weapons, and a lot more access to things that will save his ass in a fight, while still having completely respectable damage, particularly when it picks up a third attack in its full attack routine at level 11.
>>
File: cdd8030feaacfb05ea2ed72d7b237ed0.jpg (122KB, 865x1116px) Image search: [Google]
cdd8030feaacfb05ea2ed72d7b237ed0.jpg
122KB, 865x1116px
>>54725749
>>54725767

Now, I can imagine that a soldier is consistently *far better* at fighting than an operative (as opposed to simply slightly better) if, and only if, the game assumes that ranged characters will be standing still and full attacking every single turn. (Well, with some degree of movement from a 5th-level Hit-and-Run soldier.) I do not know how often that is actually going to happen, but if it **is** a regular occurrence, then I can see the soldier being vindicated over the operative.

It is a bit of a strange game assumption to make; I would have liked to see soldiers better off with single shots.

>>54725806

Envoy, mechanic, mystic, operative, solaran, soldier, technomancer. Does that not make five non-casters?

>a soldier will be harder to kill
Somewhat harder to kill; an operative does not even need that much Intelligence unless they want to hypercharge their skills.

>gets higher bonus damage, can wield heavy weapons at all
I have already taken this into account above.

>has easy access to power armor
Opportunity cost from feats and purchases.

>generally has more options than the Operative in terms of gear
The gear of Starfinder is deceptively narrow; for weapons and armor alone, there are a few clear "best, intended choices" at most levels and price points.

>can get cheaper armor mods with the right specialization, can slap an enchantment on their weapon with the right specialization
This is costing specializations and selectable class talents, which the operative is also entitled to.

>the soldier has a lot more staying power on the battlefield
>a lot more access to things that will save his ass in a fight
Out-of-the-box, the soldier's package for durability is mostly the extra HP/SP.

>access to actual AoE weapons
Which they shell out credits for.
>>
DPR Olympics already at full run?
>>
>>54725862
Mystic is a spellcaster. Where Technomancer is analogous to a wizard, Mystic is analogous to oracles or clerics.

By "harder to kill" I mean they have easier access to good armor, and with the right setup can put a forcefield on their armor for half the cost.

As far as gear options, does the Operative have some way of spending ten minutes to create an extremely effective (and potentially extremely costly) weapon free of charge? Soldier can do that for grenades, and the ability that allows it scales with level.

You're right, the soldier is, in fact, more dependant on their kit to get things done, but that's the entire point of it being the primary combat class while Operative is a skillmonkey with a damage boost. It's a more generally versatile class, but soldier is still has more directions it can be built for on the battlefield.
>>
>>54725916
>Mystic is a spellcaster. Where Technomancer is analogous to a wizard, Mystic is analogous to oracles or clerics.
Yes, and?
Mystic and Technomancer are casters.
Envoy, Mechanic, Operative, Solarian, and Soldier are non-casters.
>>
>>54725943
I was responding to the other guy thinking that there were five noncasters in the game, dumbass. Read the conversation.
>>
>>54725950
Are you clinically retarded? Are you just incapable of counting?
THERE ARE FIVE NON-CASTERS
1. Envoy
2. Mechanic
3. Operative
4. Solarian
5. Soldier
>>
>>54725958
Incapable of counting, apparently. My mistake.
>>
>>54725950
anon...
>>
File: 1364073797791.gif (503KB, 398x398px) Image search: [Google]
1364073797791.gif
503KB, 398x398px
its okay man
we all have been there
>>
>>54725749
>Paizo hates martials

NEWS AT 11
>>
>>54726026
operator is martial you retard
>>
>>54725986
THE HYPEST GAMEPLAY ON /TG/
>>
File: 7ecb530f62faef6709942c950ab5b68d.jpg (113KB, 625x1000px) Image search: [Google]
7ecb530f62faef6709942c950ab5b68d.jpg
113KB, 625x1000px
I (not-so-)truly appreciate how Serums of Healing, which restore Hit Points, are still a purely magical, non-technological item.

Paizo has so little faith in mundane healing that even in the far future, with soft sci-fi wonders abound, a serum to heal wounds could still only be pure magic.

>>54725916

>By "harder to kill" I mean they have easier access to good armor
Light armor is not that far behind heavy armor, and powered armor has its own opportunity cost. As well, maximum Dexterity bonuses can be a hindrance to a ranged soldier.

>with the right setup can put a forcefield on their armor for half the cost.
Armor Storm is generally not the specialization you want for a ranged soldier anyway; that would be Hit-and-Run or Sharpshoot.
>>
>>54726173
A ranged soldier, I'll give you. But an operative doesn't do weapon enchantment, explosives, melee, or power armor better than a soldier. It depends on what you're trying to do with the character.
>>
Anyone know of a Discord for playtesting Starfinders? Or, if none, would anyone be interested in one if it was made?
>>
>>54726173
Just refluff it as nanomachines, son
>>
File: 0fd93d26a072aa4ed63be68609952fe0.jpg (227KB, 1445x983px) Image search: [Google]
0fd93d26a072aa4ed63be68609952fe0.jpg
227KB, 1445x983px
>>54726193

>But an operative doesn't do weapon enchantment, explosives, melee, or power armor better than a soldier.

As far as "combat overall" is concerned, I would say that an operative is only slightly behind a ranged soldier in a paradigm wherein standing still to full attack is uncommon, and moderately behind a ranged soldier in a paradigm wherein standing still to full attack happens all of the time.

The operative completely blows away the soldier on the noncombat front with its skill monkeying, however. If we take each class as a whole, split between combat and noncombat, the operative decisively pulls ahead of the soldier.

>>54726196

My regular Pathfinder GM had allowed me to hand-pick and assemble a five-player group to playtest Starfinder come the 14th, but that is still a long ways away.

>>54726250

That would be changing the technological/magical/hybrid status of the Serums of Healing, which would have mechanical ramifications, such as for the technomancer class.
>>
>>54726263
>Operative/Soldier discussion
Well yes, we never disagreed on the fact that Operative is more versatile out of combat, but you don't really want a soldier for his ability to shoot, though that's nice to have. You want him for the fact that he has a grenade launcher and a suit of power armor, or a dimensional longsword, and the ability to make them work better than any class in the game.

Starfinder has a heavy emphasis on gear, and while Operative makes use of class features better, soldiers have more gear options. That's the entire point. the discrepancies only come up when out of combat, where the Operative will always be better if they've invested in things at all.
>>
File: 90c7afc3b32cde919a859545b55d888f.jpg (338KB, 1229x1300px) Image search: [Google]
90c7afc3b32cde919a859545b55d888f.jpg
338KB, 1229x1300px
>>54726196
>>54726263

That said, it seems that the GM has allowed the server to become a free-for-all discussion server for Starfinder:

https://discord.gg/YAk263j
>>
>>54724490
>oh god this noncombat class sucks in combat, how do we fix it!?!?
Whatever. We don't even have the full rules yet, just parts of them.
>>
>>54726316

Spreading out that gear will come with non-negligible credit costs, even under the wealth-by-level table.

I am not entirely convinced that a soldier can fare particularly well as a switch-hitter, as Hit-and-Run tries to suggest. It would mean either advancing both Strength and Dexterity, or investing in power armor, which has its own opportunity costs.

I am starting to think that even a 5th-level Hit-and-Run soldier is most optimal as someone who spams ranged full attacks.
>>
>>54725313
Sounds like original soulknives.

You know, back before PoW and Augmented and all those...

We can probably expect the same kind of third party support.
>>
>>54726387

Pretty much. If you go Weapon, you are an original soulknife. If you go armour, you are an Aegis as good as an original soulknife.

Oh and black holes suck a lot. I shouldn't be surprised by that but it's kinda sad.
>>
>>54726377
Try coming at it from a different angle; the soldier has to optimize, sure, but what are they optimized for? My boyfriend, for instance, wants to make a grenadier build using the bombard specialty; enhanced damage on grenades, the ability to rapid-fire grenades (and the ability to choose which ones you're firing at a given time) and the ability to make your own grenades are all abilities that you can't really scoff at; grenades also scale a lot harder, so even the cheap ones tend to do more than comparable standard weaponry, and have a wider variety of effects. Meanwhile, I'm the person that figured out a melee weapon build is actually better outside of power armor than in it, and have plans to use that for a character in the near future.

Yeah, Operative is a better gunner, particularly with full attacks, but soldiers have other options for how they want to build, as long as you can pay for them, and frugal players will figure out how to break the economy anyways.
>>
>>54725894
More like "what the fuck did you expect from Paizo + closed playtests"

People are finding not "an extra +1 over this other build" differences but massive, blatantly good and bad choices on day fucking one.
>>
>>54726173
>>54726250
Nanomachines that get dispelled and fail in AMFs?

Seriously, how fucking hard is it to just put in some stimpacks?

You remember stimpacks? You used to inject dozens of them into yourself after a fight by endgame in Fallout.
>>
>>54726415

>soldiers have other options for how they want to build,

That does run into one of my issues with Soldiers. They are utterly shat on for non-combat options when every single other class has SOME non-combat features. Not even a scaling bonus to Athletics guys?
>>
>>54726412
What is it with fantasy games and hating on gravity?
>>
>>54726436
That's a bit less of a problem when you take into account that Soldiers have only one less feat than fighters. dump all your class feats into combat and you still have a shitload of general feats to burn on whatever, and you don't have to dedicate them all to a combat style, unlike other classes.
>>
File: Sephia Sketch 2.png (533KB, 1200x1302px) Image search: [Google]
Sephia Sketch 2.png
533KB, 1200x1302px
>>54726446

I don't know, I really don't.

My favourite M&M character ever was a gravity mage so I tend to immediately go straight for anything gravity when I see it these days. I have almost never not been disappointed.
>>
>>54726324

Note that this server can also be a staging ground for Starfinder games.

>>54726387
>>54726412

What I am particularly flabbergasted by is how 5th-level for a solarian is such a lackluster level for the class, whereas 5th-level is when an operative gains +3d8 trick attack damage along with a special ability from their specialization.

I am skeptical over graviton mode's Reflex bonus mattering all that much. It seems that the solarian, shabby as it is, is best off staying in photon mode at all times. A 6th-level solarian opens up combat with a Plasma Sheath and a Corona for constant damage, then spams melee attacks.

Does there seem to be any more optimal build for a solarian?

>>54726415

While it is true that a soldier has far more variety in build styles than an operative, that does not change my assessment of the operative having far more competent an overall mix of combat and noncombat than any other non-caster.

You cannot build an operative to be all that good a melee character, let alone an AoE blaster, but sticking to the "one true operative build" that is an operative (ghost) with a small arm produces a remarkably competent combatant and skill monkey.
>>
>>54726450

It's still not great design to go 'You get nothing non-combat. Go get generic feats for it'.

But then, I'm also not a fan of soldier replicating the fighter's old 'Feats for class features'. It feels like they could have given them more Gear Trick options instead/expanded on that. Gear Tricks are borderline vestigial right now.
>>
>>54726484
Like I said: Closed Beta, and Paizo.

You can't tell me you didn't know it was coming. We just could not be sure which specific parts of the classes, gear and abilities would be in which category.

I guarantee you someone in those offices was saying "but they get a weapon for free. we can't let that scale as much; those class abilities would free up a lot of credits otherwise!"
>>
>>54726512
I'm reminded of 3.5 balance when core was released, just with a bizarro world deal where it's which martial is best is being discussed instead of what caster is best.

Though, I wonder how the casters will compare to martials once we see their spell lists.
>>
>>54726540

The Technomancer is likely to be very scary. He has innate spell focus (Which is not limited to any school. It's just a flat DC boost)
>>
>>54726484
It seems to be that a big limiting factor on an Operative relying on their trick shots is that you have to make a skill check everytime. At level 1, with 18 Dex, using Hide as the Trick skill, that means you're rolling d20+8, vs the enemies CR+20. Take the Security Robot in First Coontact as an example; CR 4. You have to beat a DC of 24 with d20+8, so you fail on a 15 or less. Or, rather, you have approximately 1 in 4 chances of success.

Of course, your odds improve as your level matches the CR. The same Operative at level 4, matching the Robots CR4, now rolls d20+12 on Hide, so you fail on an 11 or less. Which is still only slightly higher than 50%.

Not great odds considering how exposed you are after making the attack. And, unless I'm mistaken, it's single-target only. So you could be out in the open, having failed to hit your target, with multiple enemies focus firing you on their next turn.
>>
>>54726608
Rereading Trick Shot; you don't have to move. So as long as you're in range, you could certainly fire it from nearby cover, which isn't as bad if you fail.
>>
>>54726551
Plus, there's also the fact that it can spoof the effects of Wish later on, which is an entire thing unto itself.
>>
Can anyone else identify if any classes have "one true optimal builds"? While classes like the mechanic and the soldier can be built in many ways, it seems like certain classes are most optimal spamming certain routines:

• Envoy: Clever Feint and Get 'Em in either order at 1st and 2nd, Clever Attack at 4th, Improved Get 'Em at 6th. Still the worst of the classes by far.

• Operative: Ghost specialization (thank you, Mark Seifter, for preserving the Ghost's +4 while the Daredevil and the Thief lost out on it), small arm, maximize Stealth, work towards Shot on the Run.

• Solarian: Plasma Sheath at 2nd, whatever strikes your fancy at 4th, more or less nothing at 5th, Corona at 6th. Start combat with a Plasma Sheath and a Corona and spam melee attacks. A rather awful class, though not quite on the level of the envoy. Would anyone mind optimizing a dedicated melee soldier at 6th for comparison purposes?

The soldier has no "one true optimal build," but what of the mechanic, the mystic, and the technomancer?

For that matter, is the mechanic (exocortex) even that good? It seems like a watered-down soldier with a worse action economy and a few noncombat tricks to its name, especially at the lower levels. Is this a correct assessment?

>>54726608

A 1st-level halfling or ysoki operative (ghost) has Stealth +17 for trick attacks.

4 Dexterity modifier
+1 rank
+3 class skill
+2 racial
+3 Skill Focus
+4 Ghost
Total: +17

By 2nd- or 3rd-level, they gain a personal upgrade to Dexterity for Dexterity modifier +5. By 5th-level, Dexterity modifier +6.

Thus, a 5th-level halfling or ghost operative (ghost) is probably boasting:
6 Dexterity modifier
+5 ranks
+3 class skill
+2 racial
+3 Skill Focus
+4 Ghost
Total: +23

By 7th-level, specialization skill mastery assures a successful trick attack 100% of the time.

You can thank Mark Seifter for having blundered up here:
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ui01&page=1?Starfinder-Early-Impressions
>>
So when is this industry dropping making books all together?
It would be easier to make change if you just did everything as digital files
>>
File: 1501651590763.jpg (80KB, 800x295px) Image search: [Google]
1501651590763.jpg
80KB, 800x295px
Friendly reminder that /pgg/ /pfg/ /sfg/ now has a Starfinder Discord cabal:

https://discord.gg/YAk263j
>>
>>54726669
>The soldier has no "one true optimal build," but what of the mechanic, the mystic, and the technomancer?
Unfortunately, we just don't know yet. Until we have access to their spell lists, we're not even sure what they're capable of.
>>
>>54726690
Mechanic doesn't use spells.
>>
>>54726669
Shit son. Yeah, I didn't take even half of that into account.
>>
>>54726699
I'm tired, I missed that mechanic was in the mix. Seems to me that Mechanic really doesn't like exocortex, since it's all kind of shit collectively, so a drone build is likely where it's at. It's kinda like when you're asking a druid whether they want Domains or an animal companion; one extra spell per day, or access to an entire second character, albeit one that isn't as strong as a standard one?
>>
File: wick.jpg (139KB, 858x719px) Image search: [Google]
wick.jpg
139KB, 858x719px
So space John Wick is the strongest all around (combat/noncombat) noncaster in Starfinder?
>>
>>54726724

It's even worse than it looks.

>Level 5 Exocortex feature:
>You can hack things within 20ft of you WITH YOUR MIND.
>It disables your other Exocortex features while you use it

>Level 5 'I am a Mechanic in the first place Feature.
>You can hack things within 20ft of you with your custom rig (Which is established with the custom rig rules to be allowed to be PART OF YOUR MIND)

Oh and the non-exocortex one? It upgrades in distance as you level. The Exocortex one doesn't.
>>
>>54726753
Good fucking god.
>>
>>54726799

Technically you CAN use them both at the same time for 2x hacking speed. But that's 2x hacking speed...while losing all autocortex functions. There are talents to do that without fucking up your other class features.
>>
>>54726804
Soldier might be tier 3; we won't know until we see the feats, but grenades alone give it a level of combat versatility that's difficult to match, just because of all the crazy shit grenades can do.

Other than that, seems on point. I doubt we'll get more than one tier 2 class, and it's probably going to be the technomancer.
>>
File: 1500839793516.jpg (370KB, 778x1153px) Image search: [Google]
1500839793516.jpg
370KB, 778x1153px
OFFICIAL STARFINDER TIER LIST:

Mid/High Tier 3: Operative
Somewhere in Tier 3: Mystic, Technomancer
Low Tier 3/High Tier 4: Mechanic (drone), Soldier
Low Tier 4/High Tier 5: Mechanic (exocortex), Solarian
Low Tier 5: Envoy

Did I get it right guys?
>>
>>54726850
We haven't seen equipment or spells yet.
>>
>>54726962
We did see equipment.
>>
File: 977c5bd4a65de043a25e503cb53d0dad.jpg (490KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
977c5bd4a65de043a25e503cb53d0dad.jpg
490KB, 768x1024px
Is there any point at all to sniper rifles for an operative?

One of the sample builds for operatives is shown as using a sniper rifle, and the sarcesian operative in First Contact uses a sniper rifle, but since trick attack, triple attack, and quad attack are incompatible with sniper rifles...

Well, why should an operative ever use one?
>>
>>54727034
If the enemy has a jumpjet and and you dont?
>>
>>54727034
For the range and dehabilitating attacks
>>
An Intelligence 8-12 operative with Jack of All Trades at 2nd-level (use all skills untrained and double operative's edge when using a skill untrained) and the 6th-level spacefarer ability (+2 bonus to all untrained skill checks) can be a truly ridiculous skill monkey even despite a middling Intelligence.

>>54727054
>>54727057

Spending the cash to keep the sniper rifle up-to-date will take its toll for such a situational weapon.
>>
>>54726965
Where?
>>
>>54727073
Everything is only as situational as GM and player makes it
And all of your gear does not have to be as good as possible to be effective
>>
>>54727077
it starts here >>54722522
>>
>>54727077
Check the previous threads.
>>
>>54727084
>>54727087
Cheers
>>
The 6th-level spacefarer's 6th-level ability, Eager Dabbler, is useful enough, but it has been pointed out to me that the icon's 6th-level ability that is by far the most game-changing of them all.

First of all, people can recognize you by name alone, with a DC 10 Culture check. That is common knowledge, possible for anyone with Intelligence modifier +0 who takes 10.

With 2d4 hours, you can find just the right person to help your party out, with a starting attitude of friendly or helpful.

On top of all of that, "At the GM's discretion, fans might give you services (although not goods) for a discount or even for free."

For that matter, the icon's 12th-level ability makes you recognizable at DC 5 for your name or DC 10 for your appearance alone, lets you find a useful fan in only 1d4 hours, and *gives you a 10% discount on purchased goods*.

How can any other theme compete? The only thing I can see coming close is the outlaw's Black Market Connections at 12th which, under a generous interpretation, lets you sell goods at full price rather than at merely 10%.

>>54727083

The gear treadmill is quite real in Starfinder, especially when it comprises a good deal of a character's damage output, EAC, and KAC.
>>
>>54726850
>official
>with no actual rulebook
>no actual bestiary
>no actual rules
Fuck off.
>>
>>54727135
We have First Contact for a bestiary.
>>
>>54727123
It is only expensive to buy guns in new mint condition
It is easier to get guns at lower price used
>>
I love how 2hu tries to optimize builds with partial information and claim they're optimal for the game WE DON'T HAVE A FUCKING RULEBOOK FOR.
>>
>>54727145
We've got feats, equipment, spells, a bestiary, combat examples...
>>
>>54727136
Sure, you have playtest material for a bestiary. That's pretty accurate, right? Oh wait, no it isn't.
>>
>>54727136
First Contact is an Editor's nightmare built off the Pathfinder quickplay rules. It doesn't count
>>
>>54727151
>>54727153
You mean the Starfinder rules.
>>
>>54727150
Where were the actual combat rules again? Oh, we don't actually have any. And I'm thinking playtest combat examples using the amazingly shit paizo iconics will tell us plenty of nothing. The incomplete bestiary with a limited example set is kind of pointless without actual combat rules. But hey, knock yourself out. I'm sure math will prove everything works regardless of actual play as always. Except when it never actually does.
>>
>>54727167
>Except when it never actually does.
You're the guy who thought fighters would be good in Pathfinder pre-release.
>>
You can loot new guns from your opponents, no need to buy them all
>>
File: 74c7225587cc5a06bc970b289c7ded9a.jpg (218KB, 659x1000px) Image search: [Google]
74c7225587cc5a06bc970b289c7ded9a.jpg
218KB, 659x1000px
Are you playing an android, yet worrying about your dumped Charisma 8 and your -2 penalty to Sense Motive checks? Fret not, for a wrist-mounted computer can handle your social needs!

For (250 * 1.3 + 10) = 335 credits, you can purchase a tier 2 computer with negligible bulk, an artificial personality, and an alarm for security. This computer can go on your wrist, and it has an artificial personality with Bluff +4, Diplomacy +4, Intimidate +4, and Sense Motive +4, so you can delegate most of your social challenges to it.

Considering that starting wealth is 1,000 credits, this seems like a fair deal for skills' sake.

Why talk and read people yourself when you can have your wrist-mounted, holographic vocaloid do the talking and people-reading for you? Of *course* it will lag behind someone placing ranks in class-skilled social skills, but sometimes, you cannot afford that.
>>
>>54727176
You're the guy who believes quantum wizards actually happen in play.
>>
>>54727198
>He imply DMs won't use XCOM example to ensure shitty players don't derail their campaign into a weapon dealers simulator.
>>
File: 1379507143084.jpg (188KB, 1170x805px) Image search: [Google]
1379507143084.jpg
188KB, 1170x805px
>>54727318
Shadowrun rules my man
Getting your gear is half of the adventure itself
Also spending all your credits on more C15 instead of food
>>
>>54727311
They exist enough to warrant tier 1.
>>
Full pdf leak when?
>>
>>54727359
Give it a week or two for the cleaners to finish with it.
>>
File: e962e5facb8f8eb36eb989754d26779b.jpg (445KB, 1050x1250px) Image search: [Google]
e962e5facb8f8eb36eb989754d26779b.jpg
445KB, 1050x1250px
Is there any better weapon for a 1st-level operative than an azimuth laser pistol? The static arc pistol is nice, but it costs 750 credits, which rules out buying a second skin for 250 credits and having money to spare. The tactical semi-auto pistol deals 1d6 damage, but has low range and targets KAC.
>>
>>54727297
So... Cortana is a thing. Not even mad.
>>
A tactical doshko, that is, a steel greataxe, is a bulk 1 item. As hefty as it is, it is probably around a cubic foot in volume.

An ysoki can store 1 cubic foot or a bulk 1 item in their cheek pouches. Does this mean that an ysoki can store a tactical doshko, that is, a steel greataxe, in their cheek pouches? How does this work?

Cheek pouches are still a truly awful ability, granted.
>>
>>54727464
If it is tactical, it probably folds
>>
>>54727464
Probably works like Dragon Ball tech.
Tiny as hell but give it a spit and it grow to full size.
>>
hmm, what's that about ghost and daredevil Operatives? I've only seen a trailblazer, detective, hacker and a thief in Leakanon-sama's most generous leaks.
>>
>>54726831
we have the feats
>>
What bothers me about the MMO-like naming scheme for items is that it is not even internally consistent. A tactical "doshko" (greataxe) is a 1st-level item that costs 240 credits. A tactical knife is a 7th-level item that costs 6,000 credits. Why?

>>54727532

The Daredevil and the Thief lack a +4 to trick attack rolls. The Ghost does have a +4, which makes it the best operative specialty for any operative maximizing Dexterity, which is any operative who wants to be good at fighting.

This is a result of Mark Seifter and the design team's blundering: http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ui01&page=2?Starfinder-Early-Impressions
>>
>>54727143
what about looting guns?
>>
>>54727551
Do you have a link to them? I must have missed them.
>>
>>54727577
Looted guns are definitely used
>>
>>54727571
Greataxe is unwieldy and Tactical knife is operative
>>
>>54727594
Maybe they both shouldn't be "tactical"?
>>
>>54727599
Don't get so buttblasted about tactical.
Did your grandpa invented the term?
>>
>>54727599
Tactical means it usually folds and/or is lighter in design than normal
Tactical axe could could in 2 pieces, blade and folded handle
>>
Why have basically all of the last lots of Starfinder and Paizo threads been anime girl OP?
>>
>>54727645
There's nothing else of value at Paizo, might as well embrace the waifu potential.
>>
>>54727645
One autist is making all the OP's because noone else bothers.
>>
I want a magnetar rifle!
>>
File: abf398d052478644a29f2656d42934fc.png (593KB, 810x1000px) Image search: [Google]
abf398d052478644a29f2656d42934fc.png
593KB, 810x1000px
How is any low-level character ever supposed to reliably hit a DC 25 (DC 30 if you want to heal more than 1 HP per level) Medicine check for a basic medkit? That is a totally unreasonable DC, even for an Intelligence-based character.

Low-level characters might as well avoid the Medicine skill and instead stock up on 50 credit Serums of Healing, no? Considering how 1,000 credits is the starting amount, and it only grows higher, that seems cost-effective.

In the far future, people still rely on purely magical consumables to heal their wounds.
>>
>>54727710
Maybe they just make medical droids with +15 or more to Medicine that just take 10 on the skill whenever it comes up.
>>
>>54727710
>I know all the rules from the leaked documents that lack these rules.
>>
>>54727710
Take 20?
>>
>>54727710
Medkits are still for trained professionals, not for all chumps
>>
>>54727771
As expected. This isnt patching up some scratches after all.
>>
>>54727771
>>54727829
This is 2hu, who can't understand half the rules in PF except mechanically. You expect them to make sense out of something we only have partial info on?
>>
File: f9a6563e75afe3d8780150f76e4b77d9.jpg (444KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
f9a6563e75afe3d8780150f76e4b77d9.jpg
444KB, 768x1024px
>>54727723

We do, in fact, have the rules for skills already. Medicine is covered here: >>54711495

>>54727767

This would not seem to be possible under the skill rules. Taking 20 requires that the task has no adverse effect upon failure: >>54711452

>>54727771
>>54727829

Given that hitting Medicine +15 for taking 10 is rather difficult for a low-level character, why even bother with a basic medkit compared to Serums of Healing?

You can try to hit DC 25/30 to apply a modest amount of healing onto a creature once per day, or you can feed that creature 50 credit Serums of Healing for 1d8 HP restored each time.
>>
>>54727926
Serum of Healing only works once and Medicine still can treat diseases, poisons and bleeding out.
>>
>>54727926
You're ignoring Stamina. HP loss isn't going to be an immediate threat in most cases, and HP healing doesn't effect stamina healing at all.
>>
File: 1379801729360.jpg (202KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1379801729360.jpg
202KB, 800x800px
>mfw level 3 start is still better than level 1

That said, can someone explain something to me? Items seem to have "levels" assigned to them, what the heck do they mean? Can a level 7 magnetar rifle only work for a level 7 character, or does this mean you should only find a level 7 magnetar rifle at level 7?
>>
>>54727940

>Serum of Healing only works once

1st-level wealth is 1,000 credits.
2nd-level wealth is 2,000 credits.
3rd-level wealth is 4,000 credits.
4th-level wealth is 6,000 credits.

The weakest Serum of Healing costs 50 credits and restores 1d8 HP. That is 1.25% of the wealth-by-level of a 3rd-level character.

Treating drugs, diseases, and poisons simply grants a +4 bonus to the saving throw, if you have the time to spare.

As for stabilizing someone, that is what the 50 credit Serums of Healing are for.

>>54727961

I am well-aware of the dichotomy between SP and HP. That does not change the point in the slightest: you want 50 credit Serums of Healing to restore your HP when it does get lost, and you definitely do not want to bother with medkits.
>>
>>54728004
It is explained on page 167
>>
>>54728008
They are still not free
Medkits are for free healing
They are not meant to be used in same situations
>>
>>54728042
50 credits.
>>
>>54728020
Found it, thanks anon!
>>
>>54728069
Yes, and it will never heal more than 1d8
If you want, you can chug them if you want to.
Medkit is more for treating everyone for free.
>>
File: 1497826476730.jpg (203KB, 1000x1025px) Image search: [Google]
1497826476730.jpg
203KB, 1000x1025px
>>54724490
A while ago there was a post about a campaign for sfg that seemed to sort of spark, fizzle, and vanish.

It was something about being on an overgrown and gang infested warp gate, Roanapur style, taking jobs from the various factions as shit started to hit the fan in the old VR system because the old gods are mematically recreating themselves like digital Tulpas

Did that vanish into the discord or something? I'm pretty sure there was quite a bit of interest in it.
>>
File: e297d4a8f197ab97b82db129f211dad3.png (870KB, 785x1110px) Image search: [Google]
e297d4a8f197ab97b82db129f211dad3.png
870KB, 785x1110px
>>54728092

>Medkit is more for treating everyone for free.

Once per day per creature, and for a disappointingly small amount considering the DCs you must hit.

It is rather telling that even in a soft sci-fi space opera, the most efficient means of healing is through chugging magical potions.
>>
>>54728125

Additionally, it is worth noting that an advanced medkit lowers the DC to 20/25 (still rather hard)... but costs 2,700 credits.

For that price point, you could instead purchase 54 Serums of Healing.
>>
>>54728125
The most efficient way of healing is to have the Mystic do it.

Or to avoid injuries by fighting smarter, but you can't calculate those odds because each situation is unique and dependant on the GM running the scenario.

The math is not the game, and it is a very poor indicator of what is needed for any particular game, as the GM is the final arbiter of what is both available and allowable, regardless of what costs and skill checks are required.

Theorycraftign is a very unreliable and misleading way of determining what is good in a game, especially with inaccurate information from guides that aren't actually meant to be used with the game you're trying to theorycraft in.
>>
>>54728125
>>54728191
There are many days in the world.
Serum is good for healing small number of people, but what if you wanted to be a doctor in a busy space port?
Rules are also worldbuilding.
>>
>>54728215
He's an idiot who can't imagine anything except numbers, even when he;'s trying to play.
>>
Medicine is there so you can be Dr. Mccoy and tell the captain how all the mooks are dying from space AIDS.
>>
>>54728265
Space AIDS is a serious problem, especially for PCs!
>>
>>54728210

>The most efficient way of healing is to have the Mystic do it.
Healing Touch applies only once per day.

>Or to avoid injuries by fighting smarter, but you can't calculate those odds because each situation is unique and dependant on the GM running the scenario.
Either taking HP damage is common, in which case you will want Serums of Healing because a medkit's HP restoration applies only once per day per character... or taking HP damage is rare, in which case, the Serums of Healing are even more economical over the course of a character's career.

>the GM is the final arbiter of what is both available and allowable
The GM banning Serums of Healing is tantamount to the GM doing the same for healing wands in regular Pathfinder.

>Theorycraftign is a very unreliable and misleading way of determining what is good in a game, especially with inaccurate information from guides
We are using the information we have from the equipment chapter, the skill chapter, and the character creation chapter. We know what the DCs for using medkits are, we know how tough it is to hit Medicine +15/+20 at lower levels, and we know how cost-efficient Serums of Healing are.

>>54728215

>but what if you wanted to be a doctor in a busy space port

That is what a stationary, bulk 50 medical lab is for.
>>
>>54728302
All three of the medkits have a different level of portability and usage
Doctor needs his doctor bag with him if he needs to move to see his patient.
Advanced medkit is for making a temporary trauma center in a tent
And so forth and so forth
>>
>>54728337
If the equipment's just for worldbuilding then it's still shit for adventurers.
>>
>>54728357
Having free healing is a good investment for any adventure party
You have your space ship after all, you can have a medbay in it
A medbay is classic for adventure space ships
>>
What the fuck is Starfinder?
>>
Did every faggot talking about medkits forgot that Stamina damage, which supposed to be the main source, is recovered fully at the end of 10 minutes IIRC?
>>
>>54728380
Paizo's answer to people clamoring for a Pathfinder 2.0, only instead of taking place in a Medieval Fantasy setting it takes place in space.

Overall, it's actually solid! The setting is workable, the races are fun and the mechanics take a departure from 3.5e in a pleasant way.
>>
File: 1294d5bb53c9cf90d9038100276f3d9a.jpg (414KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1294d5bb53c9cf90d9038100276f3d9a.jpg
414KB, 1280x1920px
>>54728378

A medical lab costs 7,000 credits.

For that price, a party could afford 140 Serums of Healing.

>>54728408

Of course. Either taking HP damage is common, in which case you will want Serums of Healing because a medkit's HP restoration applies only once per day per character... or taking HP damage is rare, in which case, the Serums of Healing are even more economical over the course of a character's career.
>>
>>54728416
>Overall, it's actually solid!

Unless you want to play a solarian, an exocortex mechanic...

Or god forbid an envoy.
>>
>>54728302
So does everything else except healing serums, which do negligible healing for a cost.

you don't know, and you cannot presume, because you have no idea how the GM runs the game and what the situation in the game is likely to be because the gamemaster's sections are missing.

Jumped right to "GM is going to disallow this" from possibilities, there.

You also do not have any accurate combat scenarios with actual potential damage situations because First contact uses a different ruleset than Starfinder and the pregenned characters are Paizo's creations which means they're worse than unoptimized. you're STILL missing the gamemastery section. You're using incomplete data to posit possibilities that may or may not happen in actual gameplay.
>>
>>54728429

Once again, either taking HP damage is common, in which case you will want Serums of Healing because a medkit's HP restoration applies only once per day per character... or taking HP damage is rare, in which case, the Serums of Healing are even more economical over the course of a character's career.

Medkits lose either way.
>>
>>54728422
Healing serums heal HP damage.

Not stamina, disease, poison, statistic damage, mental injury, radiation damage, etc. etc. Your assumption is factually correct only if HP damage is the only thing to be worried about.
>>
>>54728422
Are you going to give away serums to anyone you meet you want to heal?
>>
File: 1fad09d023d7770acc82993200bf0a58.png (336KB, 1023x1227px) Image search: [Google]
1fad09d023d7770acc82993200bf0a58.png
336KB, 1023x1227px
>>54728455

>Not stamina, disease, poison, statistic damage, mental injury, radiation damage, etc. etc.

Of these, the only things Medicine can address are diseases, drugs, and poisons, given the time to do so. While a +4 bonus to a relevant saving throw is nice, it is not quite a must-have, considering the opportunity cost in skill ranks.

The Heal skill in Pathfinder had the exact same functions against diseases and poisons, and you hardly saw anyone investing in Heal for those.
>>
Are you guys defending a direct port of Heal, really?
>>
Does anyone have a quick link to the Starfinder Character Sheet? I can't seem to find it.
>>
>>54728524
This is not Pathfinder
Also heal had to compete with wand of healing, not potions of healing
>>
>>54728563
Except Potions of Healing are cheaper now, way cheaper.
>>
>>54728576
If you want to hoard serums, you can go for it I guess.
Of course, GM will naturally put some limit on how many serums each shop has.
>>
I wonder how hard it would be to make Healing Serums, a doctor char could probably be able to manage it.
>>
>>54728615
Anyone with ranks in mysticism can craft magic items.
No feats required.
>>
File: 1486391440349.png (1009KB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
1486391440349.png
1009KB, 1334x750px
If the envoy and solarian are both bad...

Will we ever see high Charisma characters?
>>
>>54728703
>Will we ever see high Charisma characters?

I'll make a high Charisma character uuuu, anon!
>>
>>54728703
Dex/Cha Operative works well.
>>
Are solarian blades magical? It isn't written anywhere on the manual
>>
Considering everyone gets like 10 hp per level up, 1d8 Serum is going to be pretty bad in the long run
>>
File: Second Quest for Sky.jpg (230KB, 1280x544px) Image search: [Google]
Second Quest for Sky.jpg
230KB, 1280x544px
>>
File: acc6d2d3af2e6507278fa86928a816ef.jpg (516KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
acc6d2d3af2e6507278fa86928a816ef.jpg
516KB, 768x1024px
>>54728827

Are you implying that treating deadly wounds is any better with the medkit DCs, considering the meager amount of HP healing so conferred?

1 Hit Point per level is not that much, and you have to beat the DC by 5 (in other words, DC 30 for a basic medit) to add your Intelligence modifier to the healing.
>>
>>54729031
It is good enough for no cost at all
>>
>>54729072
Skillpoints are a cost, and arguably much more expensive than credits, assuming WBL still works as it did in PF.
>>
>>54729099
WBL scales up to almost 4 million at level 20.
It works virtually the same, just different numbers.
>>
>>54728827
>Considering everyone gets like 10 hp per level up,

Nah man, you don't get your Con bonus to HP, just SP so you gain 5/6/7 HP per level up
>>
File: Starfinder 390.jpg (2MB, 5026x3263px) Image search: [Google]
Starfinder 390.jpg
2MB, 5026x3263px
>>54729099
>>54729129
<---WBL table
>>
Why would I use Heavy weapons when Longarms are just as good?
>>
File: ebolaaa.jpg (56KB, 596x576px) Image search: [Google]
ebolaaa.jpg
56KB, 596x576px
>>54729162
Why would I use medkits when Serums of Healing are even better?
>>
How awful Sniper Rifles are is truly baffling.
They can't full attack, but deal less damage per shot than Longarms, which can full attack, all while requiring a less common weapon proficiency than Longarms.
If that wasn't enough, the class support for Sniper Rifles makes even less sense:
The Soldier Combat Style designed for Sniper Rifles (Sharpshoot) has half its' features work only on full attacks, which Sniper Rifles CAN'T do, meaning the Combat Style meant for Sniper Rifles doesn't actually work with Sniper Rifles.
Operative support is even worse - you never get any way to add Trick Attack damage to them, so you're stuck with a really bad parody of a Longarm to which you can't even add most of your class features. To rub salt in the wound, you can only knock people unconscious with it at high levels, but not actually kill them. All while you get far more damage out of Small Arms thanks to your class features actually working with them.
The only advantage Sniper Rifles get for all this nonsense is high range, which is extremely situational, and likely will never come up in an AP because AP's are written with the intent to allow everyone, including melee characters, to participate in all important action.
>>
>>54729162
I don't see Explode or Penetrate on Longarms.
>>
>>54729261
And here I was thinking Sharpshooter would give a bonus to Deadly Aim, or give a sneak attack bonus if you spend a move action sighting in your target.
>>
>>54729162

Heavy weapons seem ever so slightly better than longarms.

Compare the azimuth artillery laser to the azimuth laser rifle. Both cost 425 credits, but the former deals 1 more point of damage on average and has penetrating.

It is sniper rifles, among the weapons, that are niche. They only function well under their advertised niche of sniping at long distances, and are worse than longarms otherwise. I suppose that makes sense in a way, but it makes trying to specialize in sniper rifles a fool's errand for general-purpose adventuring.
>>
>>54729261
To make the whole ordeal even more humiliating, unless you spend a move action to aim, Sniper Rifles typically have lower range than Longarms.
>>
>>54729129
>>54729154
See, consumables only count towards your WBL until you use them. So healing potions will only count for a few percent of your total wealth.
>>
Does Starfinder have the masterwork quality?!
>>
>>54729347

No, instead you get your higher tier guns with increasingly silly names.
>>
>>54729363
Friendly reminder that a tactical doshko costs 240 credits but a tactical KNIFE costs 6,000 credits.
>>
>>54729387
It is a very good knife
>>
>>54729387
what is a tactical doshko ?
>>
>>54729738
A greataxe ysoki can put in their CHEEK POUCHES LMAO.
>>
File: 1501945878757.jpg (1MB, 5026x3263px) Image search: [Google]
1501945878757.jpg
1MB, 5026x3263px
Physical Science is such a bad skill. What is it even good for?
>>
>>54729878
Astronomy, chemistry, climatology, geography, geology, hyperspace, meteorology, oceanography, physics and making drugs!
>>
>>54729908
Life Science already lets you make drug stuff...
>>
>>54729878
Making explosives, clearly. Or it would be if Paizo wasn't terrible, at least.
>>
>>54729945
Can you give me the Life Science page?
>>
Why isn't Stamina determined by Charisma? Everyone knows the charismatic ones survive the longest.
>>
Is there a cavalier/druid analog for starfinder?
I don't mind if animals are replaced with robots or vehicles but I want to play some sort of mounted warrior when it comes out.
>>
If skills like Computer and Engineering can already be used to earn a living, then is there truly any point to Profession as a skill, except as something to incinerate skill ranks on for "flavor"?
>>
>>54730094
Well perform was rolled into it so if you wanna play a rock star you'd get both the talent and the know-how of the life with ranks in Profession.
>>
>>54730079
Rodent Mechanic with a Drone. You can ride it and eventually turn it into an Iron Man suit at higher levels
>>
>>54724534
>bard-like spellcasting
I really wish people would stop trying to add magic to classes that don't need it. If you want a magical social person, play a Mystic. I think they could use a boost, sure, but we still need a non-Trick Attacking non-magic social type character.
>>
Did the Leakanon give us the rules for Space Ships and Space combat?

I'm curious to see how they handle it.
>>
File: 1272669123431.jpg (13KB, 317x330px) Image search: [Google]
1272669123431.jpg
13KB, 317x330px
>SOLDIERS don't get Perception as a class skill
>>
>>54730217
Not yet
>>
>>54730257
Unfortunate, but here is hoping. This is honestly the most important part of the game for me.
>>
File: 26006122_Black_001_ProductLarge.jpg (357KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
26006122_Black_001_ProductLarge.jpg
357KB, 1920x2560px
"Second skin," the type of light armor most characters will start off wearing, is described as a "body stocking."

Does this mean that most starting characters will be wearing one-piece lingerie as their space armor?
>>
>>54730243
let others spot for you
>>
>>54730146
Can I get inside my suit as a human?!
>>
>>54730381
Of course not, body stocking simply means the fabric is tight, thin and only keeps out the cuts and scrapes of adventuring.
>>
where can i find that sweet sweet item list if its out yet? guessing spaceship rules aint out but perhaps spells?
>>
>>54730381
Sounds like a generic skin-tight body suit to me.
>>
>>54730452
Did you play Advanced Warfare or that Tom Cruise movie with the Exosuit? Like that
>>
If the point-buy of Starfinder essentially assures that characters will prioritize their key ability score, and then either Dexterity/Constitution for survivability or Intelligence for skill points, then does this not mean that most characters will have middling Will, rendering them terribly susceptible to mindbending from monsters and from mystics?

Even a good Will saving throw plus Wisdom modifier +0 offers uncertain chances against spell saving throw DCs, especially considering the new Spell Focus.
>>
>>54730523
Probably.

I aint reading all that shit though so who knows. Anyway, I'll rely on you to do all the thinking and math for me when it launches so lets be friends ok?
>>
>>54730494
You better be fit or figured enough to make that bodysuit look good!
>>
Aaaaaa, someone run a Starfinder campaign!
>>
>>54730503
But those weren't armors, they were mobile weapons platforms!
>>
>>54730567
What about, fampire?

>>54730603
Fire up those Reduce Person spells
>>
>>54730644
Aaaaaa I want a space feudal intrigue comfy pirate campaign with lewd!
>>
>>54730567
>>54730742
Don't do this shit to /sfg/. Shitters like you have already fucked up /pfg/ enough.
>>
>>54730567
Can we ban anyone who's post has "aaaa" in it?
>>
oh boy I sure can't wait to get hyped to play an operative, only to find out it got errata'd in a balance pass!
>>
>>54730857
Can I play a Soldier? I want to play a Soldier!
>>
>>54730857
Mark Seifter already said it's supposed to be nerfed here.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ui01&page=1?Starfinder-Early-Impressions
>>
>>54730900
>sift through this massive thread

what's the skinny of it, I don't want to hurt myself with paizo forum opinions if I don't have to
>>
>>54730900
I wonder if the errata to remove the accidentally included +4 will also let operative stack their class insight bonus' with skill focus, since those not stacking was apparently another mistake.

If so, operative will only lose a net 1 from the errata, which is hardly a big deal.

But even if not, operative is shaping up to be a little ridiculous at things that aren't even their focus as a class, getting a little nerf there wouldnt be a terrible thing.
>>
>>54730984
DON'T remove the ghost's +4!
>>
>>54730984

>But even if not, operative is shaping up to be a little ridiculous at things that aren't even their focus as a class, getting a little nerf there wouldnt be a terrible thing.

Yeah. Getting a huge scaling bonus to 'Literally every skill' didn't really need to be combined with also getting Skill Focus. The first one alone already made them the best skill monkey class when other classes get both slower and narrower boosts.
>>
>>54731043

Well, hopefully the nerf gives Envoy some of its space back.
>>
>>54731059
Well maybe Envoy shouldn't have dug itself a fucking hole to shit in while Operative got all cleaned up.
>>
>>54730949
http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ui01?Starfinder-Early-Impressions#39

>Ghost was not supposed to get a +4. QuidEst is correct that the +4 is to make up for not using a Dex-based skill, so that Ghosts wouldn't be better than every other choice, but it looks like an extraneous +4 slipped into ghosts (this is something that I noticed at Paizocon because the pregen is a ghost).
>>
>>54731059
The only way to give Envoy its' space is to kill it and bury it.
It's the Core Rogue of Starfinder.
>>
>>54730523
What's the point-buy like?
>>
>>54732223
Start with 10 in everything.
Apply race mods.
Apply theme mod.
Spread around 10 points on a 1-for-1 basis (so, 14 goes to 15 with one point spent).
You can't lower stats to get extra points.
>>
>>54732256
Wait so there's no increased cost / reduced efficiency for going from, like, 16 to 18?

What the fuck were they thinking. Of course people are gonna max shit out.
>>
>>54732374
You have few enough points that you cannot have everything you want
>>
>>54732374
That's...the assumption, looking at the character creation pages. I mean, with how stat increases while leveling work, there's a strong argument to pick two 16 if you need them/your race doesn't give you the right bonus.
>>
>>54732374
Stat bumps are +2 if your stat is 16 or less, +1 if your stat is 17 or higher.
Starting with stats higher than 16 gets punished.
>>
>>54732374
DESU, going for 2 16's and spreading the rest out seems like a better deal, especially if its your racials. I imagine if people do themes and shit, we'll see lots of 11 PB's to even up scores, since odd scores become a turbocancer in this system.
>>
Oi does anyone know when our God and savior Leakanon will bless us with his appearance again?
>>
Post your Vesk ideas!
>>
>>54732530
In ten hours!
>>
>>54732374

This guys in for a rude awakening. It is an equivalent of a 12-17 point buy
>>
>>54724490
>All this rules talk

Has the core rulebook been leaked?
>>
>>54732725
About half of it, more to come from leakanon, go explore the previous threads.
>>
>>54730243
You don't need to see the enemy anon. You just need a direction to vaporize.
>>
>>54732613
What's the quick rundown about Vesk?
>>
>>54730243
yo bro just spend the feat for it lmao
>>
>>54732256
>You can't lower stats to get extra points.

First house rule made and the game isn't even released yet whew.
>>
>>54730848
I approve lets start with you.
>>
File: vesk_negotiating_peace_terms.jpg (195KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
vesk_negotiating_peace_terms.jpg
195KB, 1024x576px
>>54732778

Big, burly lizards. Culture is largely a mix of Klingon and stoicism. They have their own empire in their star system called the Veskarium, which includes, among other things, a planet of rebellious cat people who they've been trying to keep under control.
>>
>>54732837
The cats aren't rebellious though, and that annoys them.
>>
So have they gone over which aliens can produce offspring with each other yet?
>>
>>54732978
I doubt any of them can, the only ones I can see a case for are Lashunta and Humans but even then it's a long shot.

Theoretically, an Android could be outfitted with a functional womb/testes to produce offspring, but that's less a "natural" breeding and more some absurdly convoluted way to get a surrogate/artificial insemination considering the eggs/sperm are not the Android's.
>>
Is it too soon to suggest a quick sniper fix?

> "After spending a move action to increase your range increment with a sniper rifle, your next attack with that weapon before the end of your current turn deals additional damage equal to your Dexterity modifier plus your ranks in the Perception skill."
>>
Mark Seifter on Envoy:
>I knew envoy was easy to underestimate before we even played so adjusted my expectations, and to top it off our playtest envoy chose a set of powers that I thought weren't as good as another similar set I would have picked, and despite both those things, I completely underestimated the envoy's strength until we actually added one late in the playtest and she made the team so much more powerful. If anyone here has played Fire Emblem, it's easy to underestimate the Dancer/Crane (depending on which Fire Emblem) when you first play in a similar way "I'd have been better with another unit that could just do its own turn), but it's actually the most powerful unit because it gives you more of what you need.
Is it humanly possible to shill harder for the +2 to hit buff that is the only thing Envoy has over Operative?
>>
>>54733213
I probably wouldn't want one in a party of four, but in a party of six it'd be nice to have a +2 initiative bonus across the whole party and movement actions to rush our soldier to the front.
>>
>>54733213
Somebody tell this idiot (I can't remember my password and it's on an ancient dead email, gonna have to register a new account) that the fucking Dancer GAVE other units another turn. So you followed, say, motherfucking Hector around, and let him kill two things, any things, every things, on every single turn.

Giving a +2 hit buff in a game where there are many things to do is NOT EQUAL to giving people an entire other turn in a game where there is nothing else other than very basic combat actions.
>>
>>54733613
Envoy can give his teammates move action outside their turns
That is the part Mark is referring with Dancer
>>
>>54732696
I'd like to lobby to change the number available from 10 to 15. This'll actually give the chance for players to invest in shit other than their primary and secondary ability. The cap is still 18 so it doesn't increase power levels, just spreads the love around so the character can be capable in more than one maybe two areas.
>>
Forums are starting to catch on 2hu's autism
>>
>>54733662
To clarify, it actually gives them a free movement during their turn when it rolls around, rather than letting them move during the envoy's turn.

Still decent though I like to think. Standard action expenditure hurts but if anyone in your party can reliably full attack thanks to it, it's probably better than making an attack yourself.
>>
>>54733662
If you could give someone a standard action to use it'd be amazing. Or do something like 4e warlord does like tell someone to take a shot a someone on your turn without wasting their action.
>>
>>54733742
That would be too powerful
2 spells per turn is a nono
>>
>>54733714
Where?
>>
>>54727297
Uh... if I'm reading the relevant pages correctly, said computer would cost 360cr, not 335.
>>
>>54733740
3.0 Haste is in the game. Haste gives EVERYONE in the party free movement on top of full-attacking.
Hurry is garbage compared to it.
>>
>>54733017
Well fuck. I guess it'll take a bit of work to turn it into TiTs.
>>
>>54733988
First, 3.0 haste gave you an extra standard, not an extra move. Much more powerful.

Second, don't forget that haste can be dispelled, and has limited uses per day... and that, with the way Stamina works now, uses per day is more of a limitation than in Pathfinder, since the 15 minute workday won't be as big a thing.
>>
File: 7c770e86.gif (3MB, 430x242px) Image search: [Google]
7c770e86.gif
3MB, 430x242px
So, with some of the Starfinder stuff out... how close can I get to this? I want to be a one woman battleship so the rest of my party can focus on the less important stuff.
>>
>>54736115
As it so happens, a Soldier in a suit of high-end power armor can do that very easily. Jarlslayer armor has two weapon slots on it, so you can attach whatever two ranged weapons you want and still have room to carry around a melee weapon.

One trick is that power armor only scales up to level 15, though. We're likely going to have to wait a while to get a level 20 suit.
>>
File: IMG_4667.jpg (278KB, 930x1265px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4667.jpg
278KB, 930x1265px
Is there an easy way for me to convert kitsune to starfinder?
>>
>>54736814
Wait for Augunas's port. It should come out on 17th.
>>
>>54736876
What's that?
>>
>>54736887
Augunas will release a book with ports of Pathfinder content on 17th.
>>
File: 1474538947414.jpg (97KB, 520x600px) Image search: [Google]
1474538947414.jpg
97KB, 520x600px
>>54736814
pls go and stay go
>>
File: stellaris_avatar_mammalian_03.png (51KB, 192x192px) Image search: [Google]
stellaris_avatar_mammalian_03.png
51KB, 192x192px
>>54736814

First Contact has some conversion rules doesn't it?
>>
>>54736814
Yeah, just play a Kitsune, they should be 100 % compatible with Starfinder, none of their racial features cause issue. At worst you'll have to replace their cantrip with something similar.

Actually, their bite should replace their unarmed strikes, I think, that's how Vesk natural weapons work, at least.
>>
File: Starfinder Kitsune.pdf (40KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Starfinder Kitsune.pdf
40KB, 1x1px
>>54736814

Bam, done. Took all of 5 mins and is mostly faithful to the race. The natural weapon seemed like it was moving into a few too many racial features/kinda meh so it ended up not being included.
>>
>>54737177

I recommend just making it like the Vesk natural attacks, except with normal specialization.
>>
>>54729249
In case you're poisoned. Because serums can't help you with poisons.
>>
Can we recombine into one thread?
>>
>>54737566
What are you talking about, the split threads are the best thing to happen to /pgg/ ever!

Seriously, though, I'm in favor of recombining. Discussion is glacial, and the idea of having split threads is completely moot because of the amount of starfinder discussion going on in /pgg/ right now. Opinions?
>>
>>54737566
>>54737676
We should recombine, yeah.
>>
I prefer split, but then I also hate anime so I'm clearly in the minority.
>>
File: Starfinder Kitsune (1).pdf (43KB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Starfinder Kitsune (1).pdf
43KB, 1x1px
>>54737376

I was planning on that but was concerned it was getting overloaded with racial traits, numbers-wise. That and the Vesk natural attack doesn't seem like it scales that well (It's likely discarded the moment you get a real melee weapon).

If people feel it's essential for the feel of them I could add it. Trying to keep it in line with the Starfinder races.

Now with a few alternate racial traits/some rewriting.
>>
New thread, combined back again:

>>54738416
>>54738416
>>54738416
>>54738416
>>54738416
>>54738416
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 60

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.