[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ Fifth Edition General:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 330
Thread images: 41

File: maxresdefault.jpg (254KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
254KB, 1920x1080px
>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54631450

Did you get to use Geas in your games? What are best uses for it? Pic related.
>>
What just stops a monster from tanking the 5d10 psychic and trying to kill you?
As I read it they can only take 5d10 once per day.
>>
>>54637729
Monk is a pretty good class as are all of the 5e classes if you're not fucking autistic and only think in terms of numbers.
>>
>>54638748
The "charmed" effect. You can't attack your charmer or target them with harmful abilities or magical effects.
>>
>>54638787
AND you get an advantage on persuasion against charmed creature. You know, for extra loyalty.
>>
Hi again, just reposting my question from the last thread since it's going down.

Hi /tg/ I'm trying to think up how a sort of Shrine Maiden character could mechanically work. I presume the character could be a cross of monk/cleric, which looks like it could work since both monk and cleric work off strong wisdom scores.

What do you think? Could this be possible? Perhaps a majority monk who uses the lesser cleric spells to buff themselves and allies before fighting, or perhaps a majority cleric who has some utility monk stuff
>>
"Everyone sleeps with masks that cover the entirety of the face along with the ears for there are common tiny worms that have nestling in a human brain as part of their reproduction cycle.

The infestation is mostly without warning signs. The final stage consists in the skull melted from the inside by the powerful acids secreted by the mature butterflies, which take flight as soon as it's open enough for them to pass.

It is said that their color is based on the personality of their host."

This is an excellent plot hook.
>>
>>54638748
Simple bro. Where does it say killing the caster ends the spell?
They better kill you right before it expires and pray, or they will be constantly weakened or killed until they ether break it .
>>
>>54638759
>monk is a pretty good class, unless you decide to look at it closer
>>
>>54638969
Look, an autist
>>
>>54638863
Yeah, a 1 or 2 level dip into cleric might be worth it, but I advise against being a cleric dipping into monk.
Best domains for you are those that give goodies early and scale with your wisdom, not your cleric level. Dip 1 level into Protection cleric or 2 levels into Tempest, it's especially good.
Cast bless before combat.
>>
File: dandd_05_01.jpg (638KB, 1280x1998px) Image search: [Google]
dandd_05_01.jpg
638KB, 1280x1998px
https://mega.nz/#F!UPIHkKSC!WXNoiDM6iYP_HWFPFgYM3A

Uploaded the D&D comic for those interested.
>>
>>54638863
Arcane Tradition,Theurgy bro.
Pick buffing/healing spells, Life Cleric domain (or whatever domain) and once you get to them, things like Magic Circle, Wall of Force, Divination...
Alarm, Augery, ect.

Bam, shrine maiden, barrier style.
You can throw in some Kensai monk or something later too if you want.
>>
>>54639000
Brilliant! I'll read into this. Thank you!
>>
>>54638969
No, the monk is still a good class, only autists and retards would think it trash or less of it because they completely misunderstand what 5e is going for.
>>
Anons? If you're playing a Githyanki in a 5e Planar campaign, what class would best fit to the traditional Gish social class? Eldritch Knight, Bladesinger, Soulknife or a multiclassing?

I'm kind of leaning towards multiclassed Fighter (EK)/Wizard (Bs), simply because that should give it the fullest mixture of martial & magical might that the multiclassed fighter/mage had in AD&D.
>>
>>54639041
To add to this, as a monk you are using your bonus actions, all the time. This is why any domain that gives you features as bonus actions is bad, like War.
>>
>>54638920
I would never play this campaign setting because I would have nightmares. Fuck bugs.
>>
>>54639000
>Cast bless before combat.

This isn't usually feasible.
>>
What's the most chuuni class? Warlock?
>>
File: psionics.png (279KB, 898x790px) Image search: [Google]
psionics.png
279KB, 898x790px
>>54639333
Mystic, it's literally the "create an anime character" class.

Complete with closet weebs who will defend the class harder than a Pathfinder fanboy, while swearing it's perfectly balanced, functional, and fits with the rest of the game.
>>
>>54638800
charmed or persausion =/= loyalty
>>
>>54639333
Mystic, because psychic powers is a pretty chuuni-snowflake basis for powers, especially in a setting where such things are supposed to be super rare and alien.
>>
>>54639386
I ban all UA content in my games.

problem solved.
>>
>>54639847
What a fag
>>
>>54639847
I might push people towards using state-of-the-art homebrew that is way way way way way better than UAs, but even I don't ban those from my games. You must really hate fun.
>>
>>54638727
>Did you get to use Geas in your games?
It's actually a pretty common setting element, and is in some ways more common to the folklore origin than the spell.

The primary goddess of the setting has a number of servants who's only purpose is to come to the mortal realm and deal these out. Each one has only one function, and that is to occupy a certain place or inhabit a single object, and make the geas when the right conditions are met. Ignore your geas for too long and you lose the boons it gives you. Go against the taboos it imposes on you and it will impose curses on you.

Meanwhile her first husband is more prone to the "here are some powers, now let me slowly twist your mind around and corrupt your desires until you want to fuck up everything in my name" strategy.
>>
Geas is a fantastic spell and it's broad enough to allow virtually anything to be Charmed.

My Bard used Geas on a particularly nasty Dracolich. We used him as an errand boy mostly, but kinda broke the game for a few sessions as combat would not technically result in 'certain death' or 'suicidal command' due to the nature of this Dracolich. Combat was quick, to the point the DM stopped planning combat encounters and focused on dungeon puzzles and roleplay to progress the story.

We eventually found his phylactery and we dispatched him (pretty sure the DM was giving us a pretty strong hint he wanted to move on from this).

I recently retired my Bard as he completed all of his character goals that were set out at level one, and moved on to another. I feel Bards in general get really god damned good at anything they want to do, and felt that playing another class with a little more restriction would be better for the overall experience.
>>
How is combat in this edition? Does everything flow nicely together?
>>
>>54638727
Whats a good cost-benefit place to get some props and little guys to use on my grid for my games? Oficial stuff is pricey
>>
>>54640309
Get a better job. I make bank doing IT and I don't even go work 20 hours a week. It's why I have so much time to make valuable homebrew that is wholesome at the same time.
>>
>>54640343
Sounds nice
>>
>>54640309

Hobby Lobby and Petsmart aquarium/terrarium section for terrain. You could also buy Styrofoam sheets and cut/carve your own terrain, buy some cheap acrylic paint, and paint it yourself in an afternoon .

Reaper Bones miniatures are super cheap and durable.
>>
How do I find out more about the gods? Specifically the morning lord? I'm running curse of Strahd and I'd like to know more about this dude. I checked the phb but it didn't give me the fluff I was after
>>
>>54640343
Can you fucking not.
>>
>>54640398
SCAG has a bunch of fluff on the Realms deities.
>>
>>54640255
It has some of the pitfalls of 3.5 (martials have a lot fewer options, HP bloat goes nuts at higher levels which makes finding non-damage ways of ending encounters more efficient, etc) but it isn't as bad as 3.5 was. The only thing 5E really does just as bad as 3E in my opinion is there are far too many spells, spans far too broad a spectrum of things they can do, and a single caster has access to far too many of them over the course of their career.
>>
>>54640407
He can't. C0re is the biggest attention whore ever.
>>
>>54640407
>>54640473
just ignore him boys
>>
>>54640473
Its not even c0re. Its just some butt mad fag from the discord trying to cause drama.

c0re doesnt even come to the thread.
>>
>>54638863
A monk with spellcasting ability that uses a gohei as a spell focus. The spells they get are abjuration and divination, and can use ki to charge the gohei to receive spell slots. They would also get daily uses of spells like banishment and bonuses against Devils and elementals with their monk weapons.
>>
>not using filters
come on lads
>>
>>54640639

I hesitate to say this with the state of /5eg/ lately but a half-caster subclass for Monk based on those spell schools would be an interesting homebrew.
>>
File: Pixie.gif (3MB, 245x310px) Image search: [Google]
Pixie.gif
3MB, 245x310px
>>54640439
Thank you, have a gif
>>
>>54640473
I like c0re, he is a cool Guy.
I played a game with him and It was fun
>>
>>54640380
Thank you, anon!

>>54640343
Real c0re would be nicer
>>
File: 08 - yMKmSAf.jpg (58KB, 640x834px) Image search: [Google]
08 - yMKmSAf.jpg
58KB, 640x834px
Hey /tg/. So I've been running a campaign with my girlfriend for about 7 months now, the group is me, her, and 2 other friends. I am the DM. Now, several times the bard has flirted with her character in-game, but I let this go as him roleplaying his bard. Now said bard has started taking levels in fighter and increase his Strength so as to "make himself more attractive" he said jokingly. After a while of this I took him aside after the game and explained to him that he needs to cut this shit down. He said he is just joking and I shouldn't mean anything by it. Now, the other week I couldn't make game night because I had to work, so they said they'd play without me at the bard friend's place. Apparently they played Cards Against Humanity and Ticket to Ride and a few others games. Then recently I've seen my gf sending texts and when I got closer to her she would hide her phone. Now I am something like 90% sure she is cheating on me because the other group member said he left the games night before my girlfriend did so she was alone with bard player in his apartment. So basically, I am pretty sure I'm being cucked, possibly as I type this post. So my question is, how should I go about killing off his character in the campaign? He's a valor bard / fighter, has good Strength and Con and charisma but not the best in Dexterity or Wisdom. The current campaign involves a fight against demons. I was considering a succubus trying to catch his character alone and suck out his soul but I'm not sure. Any ideas for how to subtly kill him off that don't involve "rocks fall" bullshit?
>>
the actual c0re is pretty cool. the jokes about his homebrews are mostly just memes, his stuff is pretty decent all things considered.

I dont know why whoever is pretending to be him hates him so much, i assume its the same person whos been spamming the cammy trannie stuff and just trying to create drama and be annoying
>>
>>54640947
Dont let him come back to your game, just tell him you dont feel comfortable with him coming any more and cut all communications.

Ask your girlfriend to see her texts or break up with her. If she refuses to let you see then shes hiding something, doesnt really matter what.

Nip that shit in the bud before it gets worse
>>
>>54640947
Include me in the screencap
>>
How much is within Ao's "domain"?

It says he's basically just involved with Abeir-Toriel gods, but does that mean that:

>he has no power over the abyss, baator, etc?
>he has no power over any other planets in the material universe?
>ARE there even any other planets in the material universe? Or is like each realm it's own little pocket solar system which are resided over by Ao-tier divinities?

I realize the DMG exists but it usually gives me more questions than answers
>>
>>54640947
>how should I go about killing off his character in the campaign
WTF are you talking about? Keeping shit like that in-game? Get it out in the open, break up with the chick, and tank the group. Get on with your life.
>>
>>54640947

Kill him IRL
>>
>>54640947
>Get cucked
>Ha, I know, I'll get back at them passive aggressively in imaginary land while they're fucking my girlfriend

What's the next part of your master plan?
>>
>>54641060
>>54641056
>>54641042
It's called bait, gang.
>>
>>54640954
Its true I am the best. Worship me.

Thinking about brewing up a Dark Knight class.
>>
>>54640255
Not as fun as 4e, but fine.
>>
So 5eg here's the problem I'm having:

I want to make a character that isn't good at fights. In fact, I want to make a character that not only isn't good at fights, but doesn't *want* to be good at fights.

My DM is the kind of guy who'll be generally okay with this, but I'm not sure if 5e is. Level 1 adventurers are apparently assumed to already be more competent than most people, which messes with my desire to start out as a desperate nobody and work my way up from the bottom.

Can it be done?
>>
>>54640464
Change "caster" too wizard and I agree 100%. The other casters are all fine, with thematic spell lists that support the roles they're supposed to fill without providing ways past every single encounter in the game.

Unfortunately Wizards is WotC's special pet class and gets basically everything (especially if we count UA content).
>>
>>54640672
Do Monks get Glaives as a monk weapon? It's the traditional weapon of the Sohei but that might be too obscure for D&D
>>
>>54641014

>>Aos domains
>>Railroading Lorraine Williams and bankruptcy
>>Only active in the FR because thats the only setting that allows bullshit like that
>>
>>54640954
>>54640821
>>54640801
>>54640623

>this many people caring about a namefag

Samefagging, in my 5eg?
>>
What are some good monk multiclasses?
>>
>>54641171
Sure. Look for commoner stats in MM. That is your character now. Enjoy.
>>
>>54641235

The only real way to go is Monk/Warlock for the ridiculous hex shit you can do it with it. Probably the highest DPS in the game at the moment. Invocations are a nice bonus.
>>
>>54640974
>Ask your girlfriend to see her texts or break up with her. If she refuses to let you see then shes hiding something, doesnt really matter what.

This is terrible advice from someone who doesn't know how to have a healthy relationship, to someone who doesn't know how to have a healthy relationship. Don't encourage bad habits and let the negative alpha attributes and negative beta attributes metastasize together. That is a recipe for incel men who can't find their way in the world because they've "tried" being "alpha" and it didn't work for them, or worse, gets them in a relationship with an equally broken person and creates a cycle of mutual abuse.

Yes, being in control is a good thing. But that has to come naturally. A clear lack of confidence and his obsessive social anxiety after recognizing you weren't in control is probably half of what got him cucked to begin with.

>>54641042
Thank you for being a real human being with a brain.
>>
>>54641086
>Haha, I mean, it was all a joke!

That won't unfuck your girlfriend.
>>
>>54641171
there are variant rules for beginning at level 0

but if you're playing with a group of people who are each proficient in something, why would you want to play the guy who isn't good at anything?

is it so you can be a special snowflake and rise up above everyone else at the end? why not just play a pacifist bard or cleric?
>>
File: 1477694272451.jpg (176KB, 1282x1150px) Image search: [Google]
1477694272451.jpg
176KB, 1282x1150px
>>54641295
Some people can't contain their magical realm and just want to be bullied and shat on by the universe, anon.
>>
>>54640398
Check books from older editions, outside FR, all fluff should still be valid, as nothing beyond fuckin' realms got official 5e lore update.
>>
>>54641260
Is this the shadow monk/Fiend warlock? Or something else with open hand?
>>
>>54641014
Toril's crystal sphere, i.e. the whole solar system. And the planes associated with that piece of material plane but not with other parts of multiverse.
>>
>>54640947
Stab him IRL as a warning.
Don't worry, it's just a d4, he'll be fine
>>
>>54639046
You sound like a good person, what do you think 5e is going for in this context?
>>
>>54641304
obviously this

>>54641295
i'd be okay with being good at something that wasn't murdering people. i know most classes have decent out-of-combat utility, it's just kinda bothersome that everyone's also good at murder.

(ironically barbarian and fighter are the best options for not murdering people because only melee attacks can be deliberately Non-Lethal, but they're still fighters so.)

i guess i understand that 5e is 5e and it's an rpg about fighting stuff, so i'm not going to die on this hill. just would be nice that's all.
>>
>>54641177
naginata =/= glaives

by that logic, monks should get longbows too
>>
File: file.png (13KB, 376x183px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
13KB, 376x183px
Wrong
>>
>>54641286
>Thinking that the CuckAnon or his gf actually exists and is not bait
C'mon now. This is "you just threw the fishing pole in the water" meme grade stuff.
>>
>>54641371
A naginata is literally a glaive though

also yes. Presumably that's the point of the Kensai though I just didn't remember what their weapon selection was.
>>
>>54641171
Play a Bard. Be good at skills and messaging spells, like Sending, Message, Dream, Legend Lore and Healing Words and shit.
Also illusions like invisibility, or teleportations and freedom of movement
>>
>>54641171
Why would you play DnD if you don't want to play kickass fighter? Seriously.
>>
>>54641369
play a life cleric

your main focus is healing and protecting rather than fighting, and if you need to perform nonlethal strikes you can do it.
>>
>>54641384
>two yous
do you know what samefagging is, anon?
>>
File: 1455523910410.jpg (214KB, 600x620px) Image search: [Google]
1455523910410.jpg
214KB, 600x620px
>>54641384
>Wrong
>Literally posts evidence confirming we were right

In b4 message deleted.
Your move, Anon.
>>
>>54640255
For me it's dependent on the GM more than other editions.
So long as they don't half-ass it in that way where everything's poorly communicated and you have to milk details out of them, they don't tread water in getting in or out of each scene, and so long as combat is more than "a fight to the death because there needed to be combat here," it's my favorite edition of D&D hands down.

Simply put, there's less procedural stuff to mask bad GMing habits, which is a bit of a double-edged sword for me because in my group's currently ongoing games its a crapshoot whether or not I'll have much fun.
>>
>>54641442
What do you mean by procedural stuff?
>>
>>54641410
i don't know anyone who's running anything else :I

>>54641399
>>54641411
thanks anons these are good ideas
>>
>>54641425
>>54641438
The first guy was clearly accusing some single anon of making all of those posts. The other guy made one statement in response to the general situation and one reply as part of normal conversation.

That's not samefagging. Samefagging is pretending to be more than one person. Otherwise nobody would be expected to post more than once per thread, and if that's all you want to prove is happening you could just cut to the chase and point out the ratio of replies to unique posters (before presumably leaving forever regardless of what people make of that post).
>>
>>54641425
>>54641438
The two yous were two completely different things that werent even related. Do you really lack this much common sense?
>>
>>54641506
>>54641520
>XD
You ((((two)))) are right
>>
File: 1455690822906.jpg (17KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
1455690822906.jpg
17KB, 680x383px
>>54641506
>>54641520
>Trying this hard to save face on an anonymous image board.
>>
File: file.png (25KB, 295x192px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
25KB, 295x192px
wrong again
>>
>>54641556
Nice photoshop bro. Stop spamming the thread now, it's a fucking ANONYMOUS IMAGE BOARD. You got called out, get the fuck over it.
>>
>>54641556
>w-w-w-w-w-wrong anon i don't know how to use photoshop i swear (hehe i'm so good at telling lies)

So Death Knight. Hex as a class feature was pretty kickass in that warlock UA. Something similiar but flavorful enough to be unique.
>>
>>54639075
Pact of the Blade Undying Patron.
>>
>>54638727
Hmm, anything whose (HD)/2 is less than 5d10 psychic damage can eventually sicken and die from a broken Geas, even if they can't be killed outright by 5-50 damage. This works out to about 55 max hp anyhow. Anyone stronger is just inconvenienced.
>>
File: screenshot.png (88KB, 892x590px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.png
88KB, 892x590px
>>54641462
5e is a bit more streamlined and a bit more direct, which means there's less drawing your attention at any one point--so if something goes askew in how its being ran it'll stick out a bit more.

In other editions there's at least a little more to pay attention to at each step of playing the game, and those moments are part of the total experience of playing the game. So, little imperfections aren't quite so naked in how you take them in.

It's like how "close-up magic" is ultimately much harder to master and make compelling because you have someone's full attention while you do those tricks and you don't have as much pageantry about it. Even if something is more sizzle than sausage, it'll still feel more momentous and weighty most of the time.

>>54641535
>>54641538
>>54641556
>>54641596
>>54641625
See attached pic; reaaaally seems like you're the one(s) who fucked up.
>>
>>54641494
In my setting Bards are like, magical folk nobles, if that makes sense. Like Magistrates, and wandering judges. Shits oficial if it happens in front of a Bard, because their power comes from their Word, and so if their Word is false, so becomes their power.
(this isn't a hard fact however, more of a general perception. Like how it is entirely possible for there being nuns out there who are total counts)

Therefore they do specialize in mobility and communication. Deception bards are also appreciated, but more in a way of "Literalism" or how the sentence" I did not say I killed that Woman" has different meanings depending on which word you decide to put the emphasis on.
Everyone just takes this side of the Bard and put the onus on you if you had fallen for that one because A) it's expected and B) other people's misery makes the common folk feel better about themselves.
>>
>>54641693
Could you give some specific examples? I'm sorry but everything you are saying is in such broad terms I honestly have no idea what the fuck you are getting at.
>>
My players have taken a portal through to one of the nine hells. Are there any official materials depicting the nine hells? Any inspiration as to designing one?
>>
>>54638727
CoS spoilers:
How the fuck do you kill the Arcanaloth in the Amber Temple ?
>>
>>54641698
So in the end, if someone in town goes "Argh, I'm gonna get that bloody Bard and show him what's what" the average folk's reaction is something akin to the disgusted beffudlement they'd show if they wanted to say "You wanna do what to me bloody Goat?"
>>
Im sure it has been beaten to death around here, but is revised ranger(hunter) balanced as a stand alone class?
>>
>>54641723
The same way you solve every thing else in CoS

With an angry fucking Paladin
>>
>>54641693
>more editing to try to deflect

For the hex instead of something that sits on it, maybe a pool of dice like Combat Superiority

I think I'll tackle a druid with ranger abilities after this.
>>
>>54641741
If you don't multiclass or let it loose with undead Favored Enemy in somewhere like Barovia, yeah, sure
>>
>>54641703
Different anon, but I was talking about something similar with a friend last night and he put it like this: In 3.x/PF, he could always find a rule describing what he wanted to do in combat, but that meant a fuckton of rules and sometimes that gets in the way. In 5e, that's all gone, so he has to describe what he wants to do and then rely on the GM to interpret it mechanically, but in general combat is smoother because it's more agile. So basically, smoother combat but less crutches for an uncreative DM.
>>
>>54641741
if you mean stand alone as in "not multiclassed" then yeah I think it's supposed to be pretty decent
>>
>>54641741
Sorta. Honestly the only thing they fucked up was front-loading way too much good stuff in to Natural Explorer. Either trim it down or spread the bonuses out, and the class is fine.
>>
>>54641779
Oh, thanks that makes sense. 5e is the first time I've played DnD, but I fast fell in love with it. So many of the preconceptions about how fiddly and anal on rules DnD was turned out not to be true, and I'm interested to learn if it really is just 5e being so well balanced. Everything certainly seems to flow much better than I had anticipated.
>>
>>54641741
I think it should be good.
I've not tried the Hunter, but the stuff I was worried about being too weighty (namely the Advantage on Initiative and on creatures who haven't acted yet on your first turn) have been fun without being over the top. It's juuust strong enough to let you feel the thumb on the scale without throwing things outta whack.
And the buff to Favored Enemy and their survivalist stuff are the same, you appreciate it but it doesn't break the power curve. So long as it's not a campaign all about one single enemy type, anyways.
>>
What's the overall best PHB wizard school?
>>
>>54641872
Divination > evocation = transmutation > enchantment > conjuration > abjuration >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> necromancy
>>
>>54641872
i like divination a lot for the portent mechanic
>>
Is it just me or is money not really useful for most classes in 5e? I've never really felt the need to buy anything, ever.
>>
>>54641808
It's hugely streamlined. Massively so. Like, the SRD document for grappling in 3.5 is longer than the entire section in 5e's SRD on Melee Attacks:

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Grapple
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_SRD:Melee_Attacks

Even "Night and day" struggles as a metaphor here.
>>
>>54641872
If you're a faggot: Divination while playing a Halfling while having the Lucky Feat.

Otherwise Abjuration. Ward ads insane surviveability, and bonus to counterspell and dispel magic are amazing. Resistance to spells and spells damage is orgasmic.

Whatever you do, avoid:
Necormancy: Pure garbage
Evocation: You're literally better off playing a sorcerer.
Transmutation: Every bonus from your Transmuter's Stone can be gained by a feat, racial ability, or common magic item.
>>
>>54641904
strongholds and spyglasses
>>
>>54641896
>>54641893
I'm torn between that Halfling Lucky Divination wizard build, and a classic evocation build.

>>54641904
Depends on the DM. In our last campaign, I mostly spent my money on DM-invented things, like running a mine I stole.
>>
>>54641904
Potions of healing are good to have. If your DM allows buying them, spell scrolls are super useful to have. Nevertheless the gold indeed isn't absolutely essential.
>>
>>54641940
Just play a normal divination wizard. Dont go full faggotry halfing with it.
>>
>>54641336

Much obliged.
>>
File: Useable 3.PF Classes.png (2MB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Useable 3.PF Classes.png
2MB, 800x1000px
>>54641872

>S Tier
Divination: Luck manipulation is boarderline broken, especially when combined with the Lucky feat.

Abjuration: Being able to shut down enemy magic is insanely useful, and a rechargeable chunk of hitpoints (your ward) is great on a class with a D6 hit dice. Especially at low level. Reminder that Alarm is a Ritual and can be cast without spending slots to charge your ward.

>A Tier
Conjuration: Extra HP on your summons is nice, not having your concentration broken with summons is nice.

>B Tier
Illusion: Once "real" illusions comes online, it can be gamebreaking, but it's super dependent on DM-Fiat and interpretation.

>C Tier
Evocation: Avoiding friendly-fire on your allies is nice. Overchannel is nice too, but takes too long to come online. Overall you're probably better off with a sorcerer's meta-magic though if all you wana do is blast stuff.

>D Tier
Enchanting: You're not a Charisma-based caster and don't have access to Subtle-Spell.

Transmutation: Garbage, everything your Transmuter Stone does can be replicated with feats, spells, or common magical items.

>F Tier
Necromancy: It's nigh-unuseable in most settings due to be considered dark/evil magic. Even if necromancy IS useable in your campaign, the bonuses still suck. 10/10 times you're better off picking Conjuration instead.
>>
File: Frey.jpg (72KB, 736x1151px) Image search: [Google]
Frey.jpg
72KB, 736x1151px
Hey guys Im planning to make a glaive-wielding eldritch knight in my next game.
I'm giving him a wind cultist background and a gladiator/swashbuckler flavour (with gust cantrip to make his cape float, yes).

How would you rule using Jump (spell) to make plunging attacks from 3 + 3 (STR) * 3 (spell) feet after a 10-feet run-up?
How would you rule falling damage for my character?
Would you add them to the attack's damage if it was a hit?
>>
File: Um... right....jpg (133KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Um... right....jpg
133KB, 1920x1080px
>>54641893
>Abjuration second to last.
>Evocation tied for first place
>Transmutation in second place

You have no idea what you're talking about and should just say instead of giving such awful advice, holy shit.

>>54641872
Ignore the above dumbass, this list is much more accurate. >>54642081
>>
>>54642104
What would a wind cult even be? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UBgNREvlIo ?
I generally wouldn't give extra abilities for the concept alone though
>>
>>54642104
>How would you rule using Jump (spell) to make plunging attacks from 3 + 3 (STR) * 3 (spell) feet after a 10-feet run-up?
I would make you take fall damage. Youre not a dragoon, that shit is stupid and gay.

>How would you rule falling damage for my character?
You would take d6 per 10 feet.

>Would you add them to the attack's damage if it was a hit?
No
>>
>>54642126
oh boy extra HP on a character that never gets hit! sure sounds useful. Cant wait to have my full hp ward sitting here, never being broken or used. Glad I dont have some other useful class feature instead.

Also, evocation wizards add their mod to EVERY creature hit by an AoE spell. Thats huge bonus damage. Combined with the flexibility of not having to worry about hitting your allies, and getting the consistent cantrip damage other wizards lack, makes evocation an excellent choice.
>>
>>54642176
You seem very against fun.

Here's what I'd do.

Sure the character takes the same damage, but add the damage you take to the damage you dealt. Ez pz
>>
>>54641893
Literally the only things you got right there were the positions of Divination and Necromancy. Everything else is flatout wrong.
>>
>>54641762
>Posts while pretending to be the real namefag
>>
>>54642232
This whole thing just feels like it's basically an exercise in proving that ironic shitposting is still shitposting.
>>
>>54642232
>>54642249
No shitposting going on here. I'm trying to homebrew in the thread and you people are harping on about some dumb stuff no one cares about.
>>
Just saw this.

https://merchoforr.com/collections/esports-gear

I think this is going to be my DMing outfit for now on. It's so cool.
>>
File: wind cultist.png (364KB, 394x640px) Image search: [Google]
wind cultist.png
364KB, 394x640px
>>54642208
I wasn't expecting that amount of hatred for this char concept either.
Thanks for your input!

>>54642174
I know Elemental Evil is one of the worst adventure 5e has seen, but it's not because the cultists were lacking flavour.
>>
>>54642199
Yet again you confirm that you have no idea what you're actually talking about. OK, lets deconstruct this one assinine statement at a time.

>oh boy extra HP on a character that never gets hit! sure sounds useful. Cant wait to have my full hp ward sitting here, never being broken or used.
You can literally project your ward onto your allies if you don't need it for yourself, and then recharge it between fights by casting Alarm. If you ARE getting attacked, which WILL happen, Shield, Absorb Elements, and Counterspell are all Abjuration and reactions and basically give you an extra HP buffer for every attack you take.

>Also, evocation wizards add their mod to EVERY creature hit by an AoE spell. Thats huge bonus damage. Combined with the flexibility of not having to worry about hitting your allies.
Sorcerer literally puts out more raw damage between Quicken Spell and Twinned Spell, both of which can be used to strategically avoid hitting your allies. In confined spaces, switch from Fireball to something like Scorching Ray. The only time the Evocation Wizard should be putting out more raw damage than the Sorcerer is while using Overchannel, and that comes with drawbacks of it's own.
This is even MORE besides the point as raw damage isn't what the wizard should be doing in the first place. Wizards are more about control, not raw damage. Play a sorcerer or Warlock for raw damage.

>and getting the consistent cantrip damage other wizards lack, makes evocation an excellent choice.
You're literally using cantrip damage as an argument? OK, Draconic Sorcs get that too... on more than just cantrips. Also, if you're just gonna spam cantrips, play a Warlock, get Agonizing Blast, Repelling Blast, and Hex buffing your cantrip damage. The wizard shouldn't be standing there spamming cantrips unless he's literally got nothing left, in which case you need to get better at resource management.

No offense, but it's obvious you don't have much experience with this game.
>>
File: 9d5.png (173KB, 2688x2688px) Image search: [Google]
9d5.png
173KB, 2688x2688px
War Caster or Moderately Armored for a Lore Bard?
>>
File: 45078.jpg (20KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
45078.jpg
20KB, 620x413px
>>54641384
I hope this is bait
>>
>>54642286
Dammmmn bro, fucking wrecked.
>>
>go to first Adventurer's League game yesterday
>arrive at FLGS and it's loud and crowded as hell
>hard to hear my own DM sometimes
>DM glosses over the plot and treats it like a formality, literally "so you go here and plot happens, then..."
>just doesn't take anything seriously
>learn absolutely nothing about anyone else's characters because there was never any actual roleplay
>just corralled from the first combat to the second combat and that was it
>combat described with the bare minimum of enthusiasm, have to imagine my own excitement
>look around and see all the othet tables' DMs getting really into it and roleplaying with the players and drawing better maps and generally being way more engrossing, and their players are cheering while my table is chuckling occassionally at best

did i just have a bad DM or is adventurer's league always like this
>>
>>54642287
If the DM is a stickler for the number-of-hands rules, War Caster.
Moderately Armored if you can casts spell with a shield, a lute, two shortswords and a crossbow in your hands.
>>
>>54642287
War caster would be my vote.
>>
File: 1457939827310.png (95KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1457939827310.png
95KB, 625x626px
>>54642306
>>look around and see all the othet tables' DMs getting really into it and roleplaying with the players and drawing better maps and generally being way more engrossing, and their players are cheering while my table is chuckling occassionally at best
>Other DMs
>In a FLGS running Adventurer's League

Why would you lie on the internet, Anon?
>>
>>54642324

There was one big room with like several tables set up, and even more in the shop's basement. It's not huge but a pretty good-sized store.

The downside is that the store was crowded and loud as all fuck
>>
How good is War Magic? Free AC and saves sounds amazing, as does extra damage dice on a fireball.

Going to be a forest gnome for minor illusion shittery. I'd play abjuration but all the fun abjuration stuff starts at level 10 and my games never go that high
>>
>>54642282
>I know Elemental Evil is one of the worst adventure 5e has seen
wat
nigga u crazy
>>
>>54642352
It's less about the size of the store and more that DMs running their own game would choose to host their games in a public place with lots of distractions and other people rather than just doing it at a member's house.
>>
>>54642286
Why are you using other classes for comparison? Were comparing wizards. When did we say "Hey lets compare these wizard schools to other classes"? Fucking no where. Nice try though, you sure did show how playing completely different characters are better than certain wizard archetypes.

>If you ARE getting attacked, which WILL happen,
wrong

>The only time the Evocation Wizard should be putting out more raw damage than the Sorcerer is while using Overchannel
wrong

>Wizards are more about control, not raw damage
wrong

>The wizard shouldn't be standing there spamming cantrips unless he's literally got nothing left, in which case you need to get better at resource management.
wrong
>>
>>54642618
Don't sperg out on him. He's right.
>>
>>54642618
None of those sound wrong to me, and of course he's comparing them to other classes. No class exists in a vacuum.
>>
File: shitposting loudly.gif (645KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
shitposting loudly.gif
645KB, 400x225px
>>54642618
>I literally have no counter-arguments against the guy who gave counter-arguments to my retarded sperging in every single post. Maybe if I just screech that he's wrong repeatedly, people will believe me instead of thinking I'm even MORE retarded than I've already proven to be three times now.
>>
>>54642653
We were literally comparing wizard archetypes in a vacuum
>>
wow /5eg/ is awful today
>>
>>54642675
>Comparing just archetypes
>Thinks the archetype that focuses on DAMAGE is the best one.

Look, it's cool you just got here from Reddit or your first session with the your older brother's high school friends, but you still have NO IDEA how this game works and every single post you make just proves it further.

I'd call you a troll, but I'm pretty sure you're honestly trying to save face, I wouldn't be surprised if you were the guy photoshopping "screenshots" earlier for ego-protection on a fucking ANONYMOUS IMAGE BOARD.
>>
>>54642618
Could you elaborate? Especially how to prevent being attacked, that would help a lot.
>>
>>54642678
Nah, it's just one newfag who found his way onto 5eg (and 4chan as a whole apparently) today.

People are getting answers to questions and such when they're posting them, but it's a slow day today and watching the newfag roast is kinda fun.
>>
>>54642618
to translate what you're saying

>wizards never get attacked
>wizards are a striker class focused around dealing damage
>wizards should be spamming cantrips regularly even if they have spell slots open

if you were at my table I would make a better wizard than you out of spite
>>
>>54638727
Watch Code:Geas, it's an entire show about that spell being used. Also mechs and alternate timeline reality where britain moved to america, abandoned the british isles and became known as Britannia, then took over the world.
>>
How powerful is this effect?

Adaptive Armor - Your AC increases by 1 every time you’re hit. This bonus resets to 0 at the start of your turn.
>>
So what's the worst meme combo for Curse of Strahd?

Winged Aracokra Revised Ranger Hunter with Undead as Favored Enemy, Or Aasimar Devotion Paladin with a level in Undying Warlock?
>>
>>54641711
Anyone?
>>
>>54642747
Code Geas was only fun due to watching the train wreck with other people when it was new. It's a really bad mecha, really bad anime in general, and it wouldn't really give you much insight into how to use a DnD spell
>>
quick question for the users of the tools for r0ll10+10: what the hell is the bind button for?
>>
>>54642772
The DMG
>>
DM's of 5e

do you usually allow variant humans? or are they just too strong?

My GM has banned them as a race along with Aarokacra (the latter is one I definitely agree with)

what would you do to fix humans as a race, since apparently they're worthless (PHB humans) or overpowered (Variant Human)
>>
>>54639847
soon to be canon, anon. then what will you do?
>>
can you weapon bond a shield?
thatd be the only use i can see for this feature
bonus action to get thes sweet +2 when shit hits the fan
>>
>>54642777
it's got good ideas for possible uses though. like the whole "when x happens, you do y" bit.
>>
File: Elflol.gif (208KB, 385x400px) Image search: [Google]
Elflol.gif
208KB, 385x400px
>>54642745
If he were at my table, he'd be the kid being told he's not going to be allowed in my game because it's an 18+ table and you need to know how the game works and how to fill out a character sheet correctly before playing.

But for serious, why would you spend the effort on someone who doesn't even know how the game they're playing works?
>>
>>54642788
I changed human racial bonuses to be either; +1 to every stat or a feat of your choice.
>>
>>54642788
do you ban Aarakocra specifically because of flight?
>>
>>54637510
I would also accept 'DMsGuild'
>>54637688
No, not really. Plus, you think level 6 is rough?
>>54637810
I feel like monk should scale its unarmed damage every four levels, with proficiency, which would give it a bump at level 9, 10, and 13+.
>>
>>54642759
I'd probably want it over a +1 full plate, but not a +2. I think it would be more fun to increase the duration to a minute and put it on one of the more mediocre armors like a chain shirt or leather though
>>
>>54642788
Variant Human is fine, you just don't let them take any feats with the words "Master(y)" or "Expertise" in the title.
>>
>>54642788
>not being able to deal with flying PCs

lol
>>
>>54641711
you could just google it, but here's a tiny summary

1st Layer: Avernus
>demons and devils constantly waging war
>fireballs rain from the sky constantly
>Tiamat and the Kobold God both live here
>Bel the pit fiend also

Second Layer: Dis
>Dispater rules here
>flat expanse of superheated (but not molten) rock
>the city of Dis is made entirely of red-hot metal that burns to the touch
>condemned souls doomed to build and re-build the walls of the buildings as random demons or dickheads blow shit up

those are the most interesting of them IMHO
>>
>>54642741
It has nothing to do with me. My homebrew and myself are perfect desu.
>>
>>54642081
Thanks for that, useful post is an understatement.
>>
>>54642286
>The wizard shouldn't be standing there spamming cantrips unless he's literally got nothing left, in which case you need to get better at resource management.

>>54642745
>>wizards should be spamming cantrips regularly even if they have spell slots open

Now hold up now. Are you trying to say that a wizard that has spell slots left should be using them, while simultaneously saying that wizards that have no spells slots left are shit at resource management? How does that work exactly?
>>
>>54642844
I like being able to use low level monsters that aren't goblins with shortbows personally
>>
>>54642788
Ad variant human: Maybe not allowing them to take weapon feats (GWM, PAM, SS, CBE) as the bonus feat.

Standard humans should get two proficiencies in skills or tools, IMHO. And they would still be slightly worse than half-elves.
>>
>>54642852
Can you please get an actual trip code so I can highlight your posts? They're a pleasure to read, thanks
>>
>>54642844
it's not that I can't deal with them

I just think it's bullshit that a level 1 character can have a 3rd level concentration spell permanently cast on him
>>
>>54642788
Give everyone a free starting feat, ban variant human, and give normal humans 1 free skill proficiency.

This makes normal humans a good-but-not-great option for every class, and it makes players feel significantly stronger without actually making a huge difference past level 4.
>>
File: Thinking Intensifies.gif (458KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Thinking Intensifies.gif
458KB, 256x256px
>>54642870
>I have all my spell slots open, but I better spam cantrips instead, because the only alternative is to spend all of them at once and have none at all. I don't what moderation or RESOURCE MANAGEMENT is.
>>
>>54642902

If I have to use spells every time I have spell slots open, how can I manage or conserve spells? This is literally a contradiction "use your spells constantly but also conserve them"
>>
>>54642827
>Plus, you think level 6 is rough?
Nah, it's just drawing on when other bonus ASIs are normally granted, to Fighter (6) and Rogue (10).
>>
>>54642921
Not even him, but are you retarded or is english not your first language?

There's a pretty wide middle ground between using all of your spell slots on one encounter and not using them at all.
>>
>>54642940
>There's a pretty wide middle ground between using all of your spell slots on one encounter and not using them at all.

That depends entirely on what level you're at.
>>
>>54640947
Kill him. This happened to me.
Just fucking kill him now. It'll be easier. Once he knows you know, he'll fucking hide like a bitch. Strike with the element of surprise, and either make her watch or record it for her to watch later for effect.
>>
>>54642921
I believe the point being made here is to use spell slots when it is pertinent to do so, by the "Better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them" way of fighting, and use cantrips at other times. But also, using common sense, if you have them left and it looks like this fight is gonna be the one before a long rest, go right the fuck ahead and dump them.
>>
>>54642940
He's either baiting (unlikely, I think he's genuinely retarded), retarded, or underaged.

It's a combination of the last two.
>>
>>54642955

How many cantrips can you cast per combat before it counts as spamming cantrips? If you were level 2 and you got into 3 fights, you'd have enough spells for one per fight, and you'd be spamming cantrips every other turn.
>>
>>54641494
You could try a warlock with all utility, defense, and disables. You can take eldritch blast and stuff later, if you give in to anger.
>>
>>54642852
I think it's more humble to stay like this.
>>
>>54642975
>>54642949
They're talking about the cantrip-boosting features of evocation wizard and dragon sorc. The lowest possible level this could become a relevant argument at is 6.

At level 6, you have 4 level 1 slots, 3 level 2s, and 3 level 3s. That's a pretty decent amount of slots to work with.
>>
>>54641893
Ask yourself, was Illusion not included on the list, or did you simply fail to perceive it?
>>
>>54642949
>be level 1 wizard
>have 2 spell slots
>first encounter
>cast sleep on goblins, put two of them to sleep
>next round, cast firebolt
>rogue and fighter kill the remaining goblins
>only goblins left are asleep, combat ends
>short rest, regain spell slot
>second combat
>more deadly this time, fight an owlbear or some shit
>first turn, cast silent image to have rogue blend into wall
>second turn, cast grease to keep fighter from being surrounded
>third turn, step into empty wall illusion with rogue and cast firebolt
>combat ends

hey look, even at level 1 you can properly resource manage. funny, that
>>
>>54642975
Ok, so let's say you're an evocation wizard at level 2, you got yourself a firebolt and poison spray to use as cantrips, and you got burning hands and chromatic orb for some real damage. Let's judge the situation:
>Many weak enemies, like bugs or some shit like that.
Here we would use burning hands to clean up a lot as the fight starts so that you take less overall damage.
>Singular "Boss" Character
start off with some cantrips, use your more powerful spells to try and finish
>Mediocre henchmen dudes, reasonable health and there's maybe 3 or 4 of them.
Here you could just use cantrips for the whole fight and allow your group to tank them, or you could unload a burning hands to start or some chromatic orbs if they're running.

You judge each individual fight and dole out spell slots as needed, that is the purpose of spell slots dude.
>>
>>54642975
It literally doesn't matter because it's a straw-man argument at this point and doesn't actually adress the point.
>>
>>54642999

Alright, I guess that makes sense. Anything above level 5 might as well be irrelevant to me because I never get there
>>
>>54641711
http://thecampaign20xx.blogspot.com/2014/06/hell-in-dungeons-dragons.html?m=1
>>
>>54643021
>>54643023

yeah but look how many cantrips you used, cantrip spammer
>>
>>54643061
>literally cast one cantrip per combat

at low levels spamming like that is okay anon
>>
File: better humans.png (550KB, 804x606px) Image search: [Google]
better humans.png
550KB, 804x606px
>>54642788
I'd allow variant humans 'cause it's thematically correct to have them strong.
Not because human should be overpowered but because this way you'll get less players going for the other races. And that's a good thing for two reasons:
1) most players play their races terribly, and rarely put any fucking thoughts into it
2) most settings should have a huge population of humans

Now I'd also add that having a feat at lvl1 is strong, but if your players aren't fuckboys they're going to go for thematic/interesting feats. I'm talking Inspiring Leader, Healer, War Caster, Shield Master. Not that Sentinel shit.

If you really want to play human, I'd suggest using pic related.
Determination is based on the "Feats for Races" UA.
I'm using it in a scenario where every races start with 1 bonus feat.
>>
>>54643048
Thank you
>>
File: bait too big, too rough.gif (263KB, 756x1100px) Image search: [Google]
bait too big, too rough.gif
263KB, 756x1100px
>>54643061
alright, well clearly you didn't even want an answer you just wanna rustle jimmies so i'm thinking this comment chain'll stop here.
>>
>>54643069

that's literally what I was saying this whole time
>>
>>54643031
If we're talking strictly sub level 5, you're not getting your super precious "bonus cantrip damage" anyway... it's a level 6 feature.
>>
>>54641917
>3.x Grappling is longer than all of 5e melee attacks which includes grappling
Oh god, it's true.
>>
>>54643082
what you "literally said" was that the concept
>cantrip damage buffs aren't great because a wizard shouldn't be using cantrips very often
was wrong
>>
>>54643111

I never said that, I said it's a a contradiction to say you should conserve spells but not use cantrips
>>
>>54643101
and thank god for it
>>
>>54642081
>Enchanting
It actually feels really good CCing in a fight with hypnotic gaze and instinctive charm. It's memory fuckery comes in too late and you'll never really be the social monster that a skilled bard or subtle sorcerer can, it's true.
>>
What is the strongest possible character I can build?
My groups doing a 1 night only deal and it's meant to be as hard as the DM can possibly muster without it all being 1 hit kill traps.
I'd normally default to Paladin/Sorcerer and be done with it, but I've already done that and I'd like to see if anything else is comparable. Also I'm sure someone else is already going with it.
>>
>>54643128
I think you have a basic misunderstanding of what the word "spamming" means

it's a reference to a monty python skit, this might help you out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE
>>
>>54641917
Holy shit, I'd rather just not grapple in 3.5.
>>
>>54643179
Depends on the level. At 5 I'd say paladin, fighter, or moon druid. Later it varies
>>
>>54643205
and you wonder why 5e is so much more attractive to new players
>>
>>54642081

>Abjuration

will never get to play above 10; arcane ward is good but just boring temp HP.

Feels bad

I really want to be a counterspell madman though
>>
>>54643161
Shame the memory modification is their best feature and there's actually a spell that does that already... called Modify Memory... that comes online quicker than the school feature.

Hypnotic Gaze and Instinctive Charm are nice, but definitely not huge enough to keep the class competitive with the higher tiers.
>>
>>54643244
Level 15. Basically we're powerful, but not yet godlike.
>>
How many 3-4 hour sessions should it take to run Storm King's Thunder at a ballpark estimate?
>>
>>54643258
i don't think anybody wonders, anon.
>>
>>54643205
No, you see, it's actually really good. The first thing you do to be a good grappler is you roll a Wizard.
>>
>>54642081
>F Tier
>Necromancy
Isn't Animate Undead OP?
>>
>>54643332
Have you read any of the module? What content do you even want to use? Starting at level 1 or 5? People always ask this. Shortest possible route?
>>
File: Nuclear Druid.png (53KB, 580x220px) Image search: [Google]
Nuclear Druid.png
53KB, 580x220px
>>54643355
It can be, if you're playing with a retard DM who lets you exploit it, in a setting where practicing Necromancy won't get you burned at the stake as a practitioner of evil.

Saying Animate Dead in OP is like saying Magic Missile is OP because Nuclear Druid exists. Any halfway decent DM isn't going to let you build a huge undead army and fuck the game over with mob-combat rules.
>>
>>54643288
Wizard or Bard probably
>>
>>54643405
You don't even need Druid, an Evo Wizard can deal tons of damage with MM already
>>
>>54643346
drop "a" and "grappler" and you just described 3.5 in a nutshell
>>
>>54643480
Actually, according to Errata from Crawford, you only apply Evocation Wizard's extra damage once per casting, even on multi-target spells.

The same isn't true of Harvest Scythe.
>>
File: MM BROKEN.jpg (70KB, 672x448px) Image search: [Google]
MM BROKEN.jpg
70KB, 672x448px
>>54643521
You roll MM damage once, so you apply +INT to every missile
>>
>>54643521

What? So if you dropped a fireball on a crowd you choose one guy to take the extra 5 damage or whatever? Sounds dumb
>>
File: NeuralAmp.jpg (19KB, 398x192px) Image search: [Google]
NeuralAmp.jpg
19KB, 398x192px
>>54643555
wait waht
I've been doing magic missile wrong
>>
File: 789656556757567.jpg (154KB, 688x611px) Image search: [Google]
789656556757567.jpg
154KB, 688x611px
>>54643565
>What? So if you dropped a fireball on a crowd you choose one guy to take the extra 5 damage or whatever? Sounds dumb
He's wrong tho
>>
>>54643601

So scorching ray only gets one +5 on one ray, lightning bolt does extra damage to everyone, and magic missile gets a boost to every missile
>>
>>54641171

Take a look at Way of Tranquility from the Unearthed Arcana: Monk and stock up on as many healers kits as you can carry.

Just be aware that the likelihood is very high that your group will not feel like you're carrying your weight and that's going to grow into a problem.
>>
>>54643623
Yes
>>
>>54643623
And spells like Call Lightning and Flame Sphere only deal additional damage only once, on the turn they were cast.
>>
>>54643555
So wait, would this work the same way for scorching ray? Is the errata "nerf" to evocation wiz/dragon sorc not actually a nerf?
>>
>>54643379
Read the whole thing, though I probably need more time to process it.

Probably going to go the route with Goldenfields and the Cloud Giant palace later on. Starting at level 1.

I only have my players for like 6 months before two of them have to take off, mostly wondering if that's enough time.
>>
>>54643655
>ould this work the same way for scorching ray?
No, see >>54643623 and >>54643647
>>
>>54643480
with overchannel
>Magic Missile with a 9th level slot because fuck you
>max damage with overchannel
>3 darts + 8 darts
>11 darts + 11
>44+11 = 55 damage for a 9th level spell slot

I don't know if taking max damage from overchannel counts as a "roll" for empowered spell, but let's say it does

>11 darts + 11 + 55
>44 + 11 + 55
>110 damage for a 9th level slot

but if that's what you're using 9th level slots for, I don't know what's wrong with you
>>
>>54643655
I guess it wouldn't actually, since scorching ray specifically says you make a seperate attack roll for each ray, meaning you should roll damage seperately as well.
>>
>>54641711
1. Open the alternate trove in the OP.
2. Go to "Advanced D&D (unsorted)".
3. Ctrl + F "Planes of Law".
4. Open the PDF.
5. Go to Page 105, or 118 if you want to read about the individual layers.
>>
>>54643678
Overchannel only works with 5th level or lower spells
>>
File: meteor swarm.jpg (126KB, 1088x733px) Image search: [Google]
meteor swarm.jpg
126KB, 1088x733px
Can somebody tell me how structure damage on the meteor swarm spell works? Because my DM says that apparently it's fairly weak. But from what I read in the spell it can destroy structures?
Here's what happened, more specifically:
>Finally get meteor swarm because the evo wizard power fantasy is real.
>Decide to destroy a town that pissed me off 15 levels ago to try it out
>Out of the way backwater shithole, corrupt guards, shanties everywhere, figure it's perfect
>Not a monster, tell the citizenry to evacuate first
>Leave it for a day
>Cast it, all four meteors hit the town hall, the shantytown, the police station and the market
>Nothing
>Apparently the meteors were made of pumice stone or something, because all the buildings are still standing.
>The shanties are on fire, but that's it.
I called bullshit and he said that the meteors were weak and didn't do much damage on their own, it's the fire that does the damage.
>>
>>54643697
does the game interpret spells cast at a higher spell slot as being higher level spells?
>>
>>54643698
I've had meteor swarm level a castle while my character was inside it before, so I call bullshit too.
>>
File: laff.gif (202KB, 500x284px) Image search: [Google]
laff.gif
202KB, 500x284px
>>54643678
>Level 9 spell slot
>Not just wishing your enemies out of existence
>Not just ignoring the plot and wishing you could fuck off into a pocket dimension full of pathfinder-tier monster-girls who all want to make love to you
>>
>>54643565
The once-per-damage-roll detail is only really relevant if it's something like Scorching Ray or Eldritch Blast, where you make attacks that fire off in sequence with a damage roll for each attack (but, as attacks, they can crit and might be made with advantage as per usual for attacks).
>>
>>54643735
>wish your enemies out of existence
>your enemies are now outside of the universe, whereupon they meet up with a strange dimensional creature that offers them powers beyond imagining
and suddenly you have a cabal of GOO warlocks hounding you from outside the universe.
>>
File: 2312421412.png (372KB, 577x294px) Image search: [Google]
2312421412.png
372KB, 577x294px
>>54643687
>scorching ray specifically says you make a seperate attack roll for each ray, meaning you should roll damage seperately as well
Exactly this

>>54643722
Yes
>>
>>54641917
Speak of the devil: Crawford did a segment on grappling across editions just yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INrF8RXIDVE

(For the most part the D&D podcast isn't great outside of the Lore You Should Know and Sage Advice segments, but those are rather nice. Gives you some nice context and designer insight on stuff.)
>>
>>54643735
>finally reach level at which Wish is available
>immediately wish to delete your character
what's even the point
>>
>>54642851
Fun fact, in my setting, both Faerie (Feywild) shadowfell and the Underark are circles of hell.
>>
>>54643698
Did he even look at the damage dice? It does as much bludgeoning damage as it does fire damage. It's a 9th level spell raining FUCK YOU out of the sky over 20,000 square feet. The shanty town should've been a smoking crater your DM is a retard.
>>
>>54643698
>20d6 fire and 20d6 bludgeoning

that's an average of 120 damage. You could hit a giant ape in the head with one of those and most of the time you won't kill it.

I'd say that most solidly built structures could survive the initial impact, if not the resulting fire.
>>
>>54643814
I recorded the damage actually, it was 57 bludgeoning and 102 fire damage.
>>
File: charizard_by_dav_19-d8l2al8.jpg (763KB, 1340x960px) Image search: [Google]
charizard_by_dav_19-d8l2al8.jpg
763KB, 1340x960px
>>54643801
Bragging about how you're getting shagged by a dragongirl while everyone else's characters died in the final confrontation with the BBEG (ugh).
>>
>>54643800
also the actual topic discussion starts at 8 minutes in, everything before that is talking about upcoming release stuff and events in the MMO.
>>
>>54643836
>BBEG kills your friends
>beats the info out of them asking where you are
>BBEG learns wish, comes to your monstergirl dimension, beats your skinny nerd ass and cucks you with all of your monstergirls.
>>
>>54643735
>Reach level 17 in high level Curse of Strahd
>Complete all character goals
>DM is all "fufufu not Even Wish can rid you of my domain"
>"I true Polymorph myself into a level 17 Vistani Bard and leave. "

And that's how I finally got my Mondays back after a year of cancerous "epic tier" play.
>>
>>54643735
This is not 3.5. Wish has limitations.
>>
>>54643833
sounds like the DM was just interpreting your dice roll into what happened.

57 bludgeoning damage isn't going to tear down a stone wall. and 102 fire damage probably isn't enough to melt solid stone either.
>>
>>54643876
except that it literally does not except for DM fiat
>>
>>54643823
I mean if we go off the number given in the DMG about siege equipment a fucking cannon does an average of 44 damage. I'm fairly sure a cannon would put a cannonball straight through the walls of anything but a fortified building and meteor swarm does an average of almost triple that. A meteor swarm dropping on a shanty town like that guy described would crush it.
>>
>>54643906
>DM spends months at a time helping give your character some story and character development
>all plot hooks tied into the BBEG
>One douchenozzle gets wish and wishes to leave the universe and hang with monstergirls
now really, which DM do you know of that will allow that to happen.
>>
>>54643889
Walls have about 20 to 30 hit points, it's in the DMG somewhere I think

Meteor should glass a shanty town
>>
Is there any cantrip, other than Poison Spray, that works with the Potent Cantrip feature of Evocation Wizard?
>>
>>54643938
Well, I would. Good riddance.
>>
>>54643869
>high level Curse of Strahd
This dosen't sound fun. Even if you take into account that the obvious ways of instant escape are covered by the book, I can still imagine tons of different ways a high level party can ignore most of the conflict in that module, even if the enemies are all scaled appropriately.
>>
>>54643968
Potent cantrip works on ANY damaging cantrip with a saving throw, not just evocation ones.
>>
>>54643968
Sacred Flame, Create Bonfire, Vicious Mockery, Frostbite and Thunderclap
>>
>>54643985
Oh. It's not. It's definitely not.
Just lots of combat every session for no reason
>>
What kind of creatures live by volcanoes? Creatures that a party of 4 lvl 10 players could fight.

I'm doing a gladiator situation where the arena magically simulates other environments. So far i have:

Jungle: awakened trees and a giant ape
Arctic: Frost giant and a mammoth
Sky: Undecided dragon variety
I'll probably do an underwater one too.
>>
>Only friends that are interested in playing DnD want monstergirls
Is it worth running?
>>
>>54644056
Volcanic Stone Golem, Fire Elementals, Salamander, all sorts of fiends
>>
>>54644147
Depends, are they actually going to play or are they going to go straight into a magical realm?
>>
>>54644147
If the players' primary motivation is simply monster girls you might just end up frustrated by having to wrangle them into also playing D&D.
At that point I think I'd use it as an opportunity to try a new system.
>>
>>54644173
3/4 will play, the other might just sit around. He needs prodding to do anything.
>>
>>54644229
Ah, you have one of those as well. It shouldn't be too bad until he has to do something then.
>>
>>54644147
Drop them like a hot rock.
>>
>>54644150
Cool, definitely using fire elementals, i also found magma mephits which would be a good combo.

Anyone have any other environment ideas for me? >>54644056

I was thinking maybe a graveyard with undead, idk
>>
File: inthetrashitgoes.gif (2MB, 580x433px) Image search: [Google]
inthetrashitgoes.gif
2MB, 580x433px
>>54644147
>>
>>54644147
well the obvious solution is to run them against hostile monstergirls, with a plot revolving around some kind of magical artifact that gives monstergirls their sentience, allowing the players to fug them in the "fade to black" part just after the campaign is over.
>>
>>54644328
crag/canyon

galeb duhr, stone golems/giants
>>
What do you use for minis? I find myself using Reaper Bones quite a bit since they're so cheap and often get one or two each visit to one of my FLGC
>>
>>54644386
I take sculpting clay and homebrew my own figures. You get better at it the more you do it. I can make things that look like people sorta now.
>>
>>54644056
Feywild: Displacer Beasts
Forest: Phase Spiders and Ettercaps
>>
>>54644386
We have actual minis now since one of the guys in our group found a bag of them in a yard sale.
Before that we used army men then we used our extra dice since we could have an NPCs turn order on display. Made it a little easier to have players plan out their moves.
>>
File: HeadInHands.jpg (35KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
HeadInHands.jpg
35KB, 500x333px
>half orc character was given the title "the Undying" by other players because he's never died and has rolled 20s on death saves several times
>if he dies it all goes to waste
>mfw riding the line between brave paladin and coward afraid to lose his sick title
>>
>>54644147
Of course. Why wouldn't you want to play a game with monstergirls? Are you gay, anon?
>>
>>54642790
You ban the class from the game then. The books never outrank rule 0
>>
File: 5eg sucks.png (3MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
5eg sucks.png
3MB, 2048x1536px
>>54638727

made this for you nerds
>>
I thought I remembered a secondary effect of Grease that allowed you to target one creature with it and make them immune to grapples or something similar. Did I imagine this?
>>
>>54644328
For a Volcano? Loads.
Remember, it's all about the heat, volatility and high intensity.
Geisers pop out. Fog cloud spell + possibly fire damage
2)Knocked prone, Fire Damage
3) Garnets and other small rocks and debris start falling from the sky. *Everyone* makes a save for bludgeoning damage, and concentration Checks to keep spells running
4)At this point lava and constitution checks to keep going without gaining points of exhaustion with advantage for those with fire resistance.

Make it clear to players that trying to drag this out will be capital B Bad
>>
File: Map_-_Faerun_-_3E.jpg (6MB, 4763x3185px) Image search: [Google]
Map_-_Faerun_-_3E.jpg
6MB, 4763x3185px
Does anyone know how to place a hex grid on a world map like Faerun? Like one that will equal about every hex being 5 miles? Is there a program for this? Has anyone done this?
>>
>>54644539
>didn't even put in the effort to fade the black text color to a gray to fit in with the sign better
>didn't just use freeform pen tool
>>
>>54644386
I tend to mostly play theater of the mind, partly because I don't have any minis or consistent enough places to play at that I know would have spacious enough tables.

But check Amazon. You can get a lot of passable figures at the right scale and for fair prices. Like, less than $20 for 100 monsters/zombies/dinosaurs (because there's no kill like overkill, amirite?)
>>
>>54644515
You don't need to worry about your sick title if you're dead, anon. Enjoy it while it lasts!
>>
>>54644597
Yes
>>54644709
The problem is he'll get rezzed by the cleric if he dies.
>>
>>54644734

Does the dead person still get to choose whether or not they come back?
>>
Oy, I'm DMing and I have taste for The Demons.

Is there a 5e module out there with a heavy focus on The Demons?
>>
>>54644765
Your new title becomes "the once-dead"
>>
>>54644663
>Has anyone done this?
No. You're the first one, ever. Congratulations.
>>
>>54644783
I haven't done it yet though....
>>54644768
Out of the abyss
>>
>>54644772
Would it technically not still be "the undying"?

Now more than ever, you'd think
>>
File: 51LOlkLFtVL.jpg (52KB, 383x500px) Image search: [Google]
51LOlkLFtVL.jpg
52KB, 383x500px
>>54644768
>>
>>54644765
You do get to choose, but I've invested 10 levels into this character.
>>
>>54644870

>>54644799
this dude gets it honestly

"not even actually dying could kill this guy!" is a pretty good extension of that title
>>
>>54645021
Start calling yourself "Death's Bane" or something like that
>>
>>54644663
You know, what I've always noticed is with maps of Faerun, there's never any national borders, even in large "countries". It's all landscape. Whereas in stuff like pathfinder it's usually defined.

Hex Map Faerun, though, might be a bit rough if it's to a scale of 5 miles = Hex. Between Neverwinter and Waterdeep are about 240 miles of space, which would equal 48 hexes. Obviously you'd need a bigger scale.

Phlan, on the edge of the moonsea, to waterdeep is 1380 miles, so 276 hexes. That's a lot of travel.
>>
>>54642104
>>54642104
Bump
>>
Is there a rule for determining spell slots when multiclassing when you're an Eldritch Knight?
>>
>>54645057
There has to be some kind of program that allows an overlay of small hexes on the map. I am not a graphic designer so I am at a loss on how to approach it. The reason why I am doing this is because I running west marches and I get the feeling that my party always wants more room to travel...
>>
>>54645151
Rtfb
>>
>>54645151
Yes, there is.
>>
>>54645151
gee anon i dont know

have you tried reading the player's handbook, chapter on multiclassing, subpart on spellcasting?

who woulda known
>>
>barbarian can be strong enough to lift 2400 pounds
>can't be strong enough to swing a 10 pound weapon with one hand

really makes you think, doesn't it
>>
>>54645170
I don't know anything that can help, but there's gotta be a hexmapping program out there somewhere.
>>
>>54645314
being able to lift something and being able to swing it with finesse are two very different things.

for instance, i'm sure you can lift a wooden door, but if someone asked you to swing it at someone with force, you probably wouldn't be able to.
>>
New thread

>>54645441
>>54645441
>>54645441
>>54645441
>>54645441
>>
>>54645241
>>54645251
>>54645254

Read over it, my b. Saw the full caster and half-caster and then missed the part about EK/AT.
>>
>>54644663
sounds like you could just get an existing hex grid pattern and overlay it in any image editor.

make one yourself if it needs to be just right. plenty of generators out there online.
>>
>>54640151
why didn't it just fly away
>>
>>54645021
>"not even actually dying could kill this guy!"
>animeprotagonist.jpg
>>
>>54644539
>t. No one paid attention to my autistic blathering and full on retardism and can't cease my sniveling.
>>
How do I get better at running combat in 5e?
Is it just a matter of being more descriptive or is there some kind of special method people use?
Thread posts: 330
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.