[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 338
Thread images: 38

>Unearthed Arcana: Greyhawk Initiative:
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAGreyhawkInitiative.pdf

>5etools:
https://astranauta.github.io/5etools.html

>/5eg/ Alternate Trove:
https://dnd.rem.uz/5e%20D%26D%20Books/

>Resources Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>54638727

Is your GM/are you stingy with magic items/weapons/armor/etc?
>>
Arcana when?
>>
>>54645464
Next week
>>
>>54645418

yeah but consider the wide variance in strength that can exist in this game. An elf with 10 STR (carrying capacity 150, max lift 300) can swing a longsword (3 lbs) just fine.

A Goliath Bear totem Barbarian with 20 STR and Brawny feat (2400 carrying capacity, 4800 max lift) can't swing a Greatsword (6 lbs) the same way.

You'd think having literally 16 times the lifting and carrying capacity would allow you to swing around an object twice as heavy as the other guy, but not so.
>>
File: ka bar.jpg (53KB, 1500x759px) Image search: [Google]
ka bar.jpg
53KB, 1500x759px
My GM is very liberal with magic items. In fact, if a character dies and they're over 5th level, the new one we make has to take a magic item mandatory. However it always has to tie in with backstory, or at least theme. For instance my last Ranger was a grizzled survivalist, so he had a magic knife that produced water when you stabbed it into the ground. Sometimes it's a bit bullshit though, because he once gave a one use only orb of annihilation to an edgy tiefling. Didn't end well desu.
>>
>>54645550
come up with a reason to explain rules yourself. or ask your DM. but that's just how it works.
>>
>>54645550
I think you're right and it's a mechanic designed for balance over realism.

That said I guess even a strong guy would have more trouble swinging a heavy thing than he would a light thing, right? I mean, at the extreme end, if you're hefting something that weights 20lbs around as a weapon you're going to be way way slower than the guy with his 3lb longsword.

Maybe it's less a question of "can you wield this" and more "can you wield this well enough for it to matter."
>>
How important are frontline fighters? My party is playing CoS and we have an Arcane Archer, Tempest Cleric, Evocation wiz, and now a Wild Magic Sorcerer. We have a new player joining and he is thinking Warlock, but I'm worried that we dont really have any good tank, so we might be fucked.
>>
>>54645441
He doesn't give out tons, but he makes up for it by giving very personal and meaningful items.
For example: My pally/warlock has a shield, and this shield has some fey-like design on it. Every so often when I level up, the shield will become stronger depending if I level pally, and become closer to Chauntea, or if I level Warlock, and become closer to my archfey.

I love it, because it symbolizes the struggle my character has in serving both these powers. I honestly feel 1000 times more attached to the shield than I would to just a +1 sword or something. Call it stupid but I really like it.
>>
>>54645441
GM gave us a .PDF of magic item costs, so we can just buy items outright. This, so far, has seemed to just make them fairly mundane - we've received a small handful of magic items through the course of the campaign, but now that gold is starting to roll in, we are just able to equip ourselves as we want with whatever generic items we want.

I would definitely prefer something with more flavor.
>>
File: camp cooking 1.jpg (896KB, 1180x1714px) Image search: [Google]
camp cooking 1.jpg
896KB, 1180x1714px
>>54645781
That sounds pretty cool. Care to tell us more, about other magic items perhaps?
>>
Coming up I have a mini-dungeon that acts as a sort of trial grounds to protect an old artifact for all those but the worthy.

I require art and ideas. This temple has to be hidden underground in a relatively populated area, so I'm thinking more either magical and weird or compact, though that's not necessary. At the end will be a church that does not belong underground.

Think the Giant's Claw from Chrono trigger, kinda.
>>
File: DungeonMeshi Slime Anatomy.png (192KB, 1514x704px) Image search: [Google]
DungeonMeshi Slime Anatomy.png
192KB, 1514x704px
How do I make the best Dungeon Meshi concept character? I want the idea, or flavour of the character, but not a straight up recreation.

So for the RP I would need a custom background that gives proficiency with cooking utensils, gourmand feat, a level of ranger for natural explorer/ favoured terrain underdark (dungeons), a level of rogue for expertise for survival and arcana for ability checks related to harvesting slain monsters.

Classwise, should I continue martial (ranger, rogue, fighter) or go bard for the continued support theme? I guess a druid with a survival of the fittest motif works as well for a spellcaster.
>>
>>54645441
Does anyone have that massive Roll20 token pack that was circulating for a while? Looking for a friend.
>>
I think I'm going to write a guide on how to play Sorcerer/Paladin. The amount of people these days that have no idea what they're doing grates on every single one of my nerves.
>>
>>54646030
>I think I'm going to write a guide on how to play Sorcerer/Paladin

That's easy: don't.
>>
>>54646004
Really anything could work if you've got cooking covered. I'd probably go balls deep in the revised ranger deep stalker conclave for the dungeon delver theme.
>>
>>54645933
Well one of our clerics had a super classic, "on a quest for a family sword", thing going on. Very simple but created a very powerful arc.

Very abridged version, but essentially, a BBEG was doing bad deeds and framing the cleric's family for it, sullying their name. Trying to find an portal to the plane the BBEG fled to, we encountered a Death Knight who had his family's sword. We would get our shit smashed in by him, so our cleric had to sit patiently while this Death Knight, so close to getting the sword back, yet so far.

Long story short, Death Knight wants to die finally, but needs BBEG dead to do it, so we kill BBEG, and DK thanks us by bestowing the sword.

The sword itself was pretty cool. Greatsword, family crest, beautiful metal, and acted as a spellcasting focus. It gave +1 to melee attacks as well as spell attacks sent through the sword. It's really meaningful to him, and that's one of the only other items of note.
>>
File: john-tranter-screenshot002.jpg (373KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
john-tranter-screenshot002.jpg
373KB, 1920x1080px
>>54645553
I don't like this. I always prefer it when everyday weaponry/equipment is exclusively mundane, which magic items being rare or legendary artifacts, or custom-build items made and enchanted by the combined craft of elite smiths and enchanters.

If you can buy it from a shop, it shouldn't be magic in my opinion, otherwise why aren't the more well-off landowners buying Plough of Furrowing +2 for their serfs?

Just my personal preference though, I've played plenty of games where you trip over magic items, I just feel it cheapens it.
>>
The grey hawk initiative thing seems kind of annoying. It makes sense for an arrow attack to be faster than a guy running in for a melee attack, but wouldn't it cause combat to slow down to a crawl?
What if I made a character with a high initiative? How does that affect the total I rolled? Would it effect each dice roll?

I'm going to re-read it since I'm sure I missed some stuff while skimming it.
>>
>>54646030
I'd read that since I like the combination. I'd appreciate knowing how I could do better.
>>54646068
...alright, why not?
>>
>>54646107
In a well-off country that has landowners of that caliber they would be commissioning the local arcane arts for the capitalism anyways

step it up senpai
>>
>>54645781
>Very personal and meaningful items

I find these often mean the least.

Firstly, your only say in what abilities you get are 'hey DM can I have something like this' rather than through levelling where you get to pick what class you have a level in and what options you take. Getting magic items already feels impersonal in that it's the DM deciding to give you a buff of their choice.
Secondly, when everybody has something like that, it feels hardly unique at all - it feels almost bullshit that everybody conveniently has some anime evolving item with them and kinda devalues it.
Thirdly that bond with the item almost always feels very artificial. 'It's a powerful item I was given and therefore I like it'. Because everybody needs one, DMs often kinda make the finding of the item compulsory like on a railroad. A true, meaningful and personal item has a true story that was forged not by the DM necessarily, but the way was forged by the DM and you took the path and made the story from that. For example, the item is actually a part of a puzzle ripped out from its location and repurposed for interesting effect. It's not some mandatory loot the DM felt inclined to give you, and the magic item's function is how you decided it could be used (Hey, I can repurpose this alchemy jug as an automatic firing mayonnaise artillery device for while I'm fighting), not how the mechanics were drafted.

tl;dr fuck 'everybody gets evolving magic item' deals. I want a story, not a circlejerk.
>>
>>54646004
You're going to want the Gourmand feat, senpai. It's tailor made for this shit.
>>
>>54646143
>...alright, why not?

>my character is a super special holy warrior chosen by the gods AND has dragon's blood
>>
>>54645660
But Tempest Cleric makes a great frontline fighter. Thunderwave enemies back to keep them away from your ranged allies, and if anyone does manage to hit through your AC of chainmail+shield, you get to retaliate with Divine Weather or whatever it's called.
>>
>>54645660
There's no such thing as "front line" in D&D
>>
>>54646119
Don't bother, it is shit and it goes against philosophy of 5e.

I mean, unless you really like the "realism" it brings to the table. For lot of us here, it feels more like a chore, than fun.

>>54646221
Could you elaborate? It often seems there IS one.
>>
>>54646168
Reddit is down the hall to the left.
>>
>>54645660
>>54646221
This. There is no 'front line', only 'suicide squad'.

There is no reason to be at the front other than 'I like taking more damage' and 'I don't want to get caught in AoEs so I'm staying seperate from the main party' and 'I have sentinel so I have a chance of stopping one enemy a round from getting to my allies'.

Sometimes, parties are better without 'front line fighters' because you can kite the enemies whereas before the enemies would gang up and down the melee fighter and they'd waste all your heals.

However, paladins, a rather strong class are mostly melee orientated (Though they can work at range).
>>
Playing a Deep Stalker Conclave Ranger for the first time, anyone got any tips on builds?
>>
>>54646209
See that's what I thought, but before my Mystic died, I was the one taking the brunt of everything. He just stayed back casting Shatter/Call Lightning.
>>
File: camp cooking 2.jpg (793KB, 1130x1623px) Image search: [Google]
camp cooking 2.jpg
793KB, 1130x1623px
>>54646096
Thanks for the story
>>
>>54646255
>Could you elaborate? It often seems there IS one
Because enemies can just run past any semblance of "frontline" that you put together, with the entire group of enemies only suffering 1 AoO per character they pass.
>>
File: erik_the_fucking_legend.png (79KB, 204x171px) Image search: [Google]
erik_the_fucking_legend.png
79KB, 204x171px
>>54646005
If you actually play games on roll20, I feel sorry for you. Your players have no accountability whatsoever and can dump your game with zero social consequences. Instead of getting your ass off the computer for once, you instead sit on it, listening to some faggot with shit mic quality take forever to take his turn, or go AFK, or listen to the GM droning on about some pointless lore, and you don't want to quit because that would be rude. Not to mention shitty maps, retarded GUI, and having to sit staring at a screen for hours on end. A good bit of what makes RPGs fun, is completely destroyed by Roll20. I guess msot of the people on here are too much of social rejects to play in a real game, though. Or they made shitty life choices and are now stuck in a "career" where they have to work weird hours, or they have kids so only have time to play in between "watching the little guy" while the wife is out clubbing with Tyrone and Jamal. I had a friend like that once. I ended up deleting myself from his roll20 campaign because you could constantly hear his children in the background. Little fucks. One of them has some rare medical condition though, so he likely won't be around much longer.
>>
>>54646162
Depends how prohibitively expensive/time consuming it is. If mages/wizards are limited in number and are more interested in esoteric arts, an adventurer who can barter with arcane artifacts for a single enchanted weapon will have more success petitioning the mage's guild than a capitalist who wants the entire guild to abandon it's studies for a few years to produce 6,000 arcane ploughshares in exchange for some gold coins.

Likewise, it depends on how powerful a magic item even a monetarily motivated mage's guild could produce, +2 to a stat might mean the difference between life and death to an adventurer, who'll pay an arm and a leg for it, but would be irrelevent to someone who needs them produced en masse for their work force. Like how militaries never equip their troops with the best stuff, it's always the lowest bidder who gets the contract.
>>
File: thief 2.jpg (131KB, 435x834px) Image search: [Google]
thief 2.jpg
131KB, 435x834px
tips for playing a thief?
>>
File: Low Quality Bait.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Low Quality Bait.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>54646290
>>
>>54646332
sneak attack sneak attack sneak attack
>>
>>54646290
hahahaha what the actual fuck
is this copypasta
>>
>>54646332
Sneak around and steal stuff. Steal from your party members regularly, especially important items they could potentially need during encounters.

People love that, it's great roleplaying.
>>
>>54646332
Work with your DM to make sure you have items to use with a bonus action. There are some that may make sense such as potions, caltrops or ball bearings but you might have to check with your DM in case they try to bullshit you out of it and you might want a prospect of getting better versions or alternative items later.
>>
>>54646332
Whatever you do, never steal from the party, but that should go without saying.
>>
How do you handle roleplaying someone with very high INT when you yourself are not very good at coming off as particularly smart?
>>
>>54646332
Be imaginative. Yours is the most interesting of archetypes, so your abillities are only limited by your audacity and what DM lets you get away with.
Buy caltrops. Get that feat that allows you to heal as an action with healer kit. Buy manacles.
Absolutely watch Battle Tendency
>>
How do I get better at running combat in 5e?
Is it just a matter of being more descriptive or is there some kind of special method people use?
I've been getting asked a lot to describe the setting better despite there having been maps for most of the encounters I've run so far.
>>
>>54646392
don't speak much
>>
>>54646390
But it's hilarious.
>>
>>54646392
Speak only in quotes you've found on WikiQuote,
>>
>>54646422
if you like the character being put in a sack and swung against a tree
>>
File: 1441395940022.png (26KB, 244x226px) Image search: [Google]
1441395940022.png
26KB, 244x226px
>>54646392
use big words that don't fit and you may or may not understand
Parrot ideas and say they're your own
Take credit for other's plans and plain chance
say Just as Planned a lot
>>
>>54646392
If your wisdom is shit recall all sorts of crazy obscure and irrelevant facts.
>>
>>54646392
get a thesaurus and start using big words when you talk

don't talk very much

try to emulate Sherlock Holmes
>>
>>54646184
I see where you're coming from, however their power can come from an oath just as much as a god.

If you wanted to you could have an oath dedicated to how great you are. Your magic ability is tied directly to your over inflated ego. So while you're powerful in combat, your pompous attitude creates just as many problems.
>>
>>54646512
Isn't that just a Bard?
>>
>>54646547
Lol no
>>
>>54646415
My combat sessions felt incredibly long and tedious before I read this article:
http://theangrygm.com/manage-combat-like-a-dolphin/

It really helps. If TL;DR, you start by telling each player a super short sentence about what just happened
>"Dublin, you just saw this lumbering beast of an orc take a few swings at you ally, what are you going to do?"

Then, as long as they're not new to the game, don't let them take a whole minute to think out their turn, they have time to plan on other people's turns. Instead, you give them maybe 5 seconds to start explaining what they're doing. This creates urgency just like a real fight should.

Finally, you give a quick narration of what their character does.
>"So, Dublin lumbers forward, angry at these orcs for attacking your friend, and connects a clean slice across their back, the orc shrieks in pain as your short swords tear his flesh to ribbons"

As for explaining your setting, you can just give a few sentences about the room, it's temperature, smell, who's in it, and possible obstacles like crates or pillars.
>>
>>54646575
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Any tips on what to do if they end up taking too long?
>>
>>54646438
If they kill me they never find out where/who their precious magic items have been stashed/sold to!
>>
What are anons hoping we'll get for the August Unearthed Arcana issue?
>>
>>54646647
Merals' resignation letter.
>>
>>54646647
I want a revised Artificer that makes it a half caster and moves the mechanical servant to its own subclass
>>
what are some of the best encounters you've come up with?
>>
>>54646678
This
>>
>>54646293
Depends on how high magic the setting is, I suppose. I'll claim that you're limiting your thinking to the system and not the world. Imbuing items with multiple properties, like you must do if you're going to if you're to enchant a weapon for the typical combat purposes of accuracy and damage, is naturally more difficult than relatively simpler charms utilizing already established spellwork. And that's just the arcanery, you wouldn't want to magic up no flimsy shamshir or other ass-scratching club, it has to be quality work.

Something that makes the oxen go faster for some time per day would already be a significant increase in agricultural competition, mind you. What's there to stop them from incentivizing rangers and druids from helping their to-be agrocomplexes, anyways?
>>
>>54646647
Personally, I want either first draft epic level PC crunch, some more converted 4e spells, or some new races - I'd kill for an official first draft for 5e devas, shardminds, thri-kreen, aranea or lupins.
>>
>>54646678
>>54646741
Stay mad, cucks
>>
>>54646637
Well you should be up front that you're trying to make combat better, and that they'll need to think on other player's turns. If they take too long I'll usually tell them they have 10 seconds to give me an answer or they'll automatically take the dodge action. The players will get the hang of it super quick, and most people I've used this system with like it more. It's not for everyone though, but just be sure to try it with an open mind, and your players should too.
>>
>>54646644
yeah but it's not like you were gonna return them if they let you live either, and swinging you against a tree is satisfying.
>>
>>54646647
UA: Fishing
>>
>>54646030
This guy has written a better class guide than you ever will.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?502673-Unlimited-Blade-Works-The-Guide-to-the-Ultimate-Paladin-Sorcerer-Multiclass
>>
>>54646647
Revisions of previously-released UA archetypes that aren't broken and don't violate 5e's design principles.
>>
I know about the common complaints regarding Aarokecera, but let's say I was doing a homebrew race and I wanted it to have wings (Not for long-distance flight or anything). How would you balance that?
>Give them fly speed of 30, on the caveat that if they end their turn in the air they crash to the ground and take some damage
That, or
>You can only fly for a number of rounds equal to (Dex Mod) or (Dex Mod + 1). In addition, the wings can be used to glide from high places but only if you're under half of your encumbrance.
>>
>>54647315
That's never going to happen, don't you understand that UA's content is just scrapes off Merals' table? and previously explained in this thread he doesn't play according to 5e's design principles.
>>
How would you stat out a cursed Artifact Weapon like Kratos's chain swords? 1d8+1d8 Necrotic Light (and includes TWF style if attuned) with 15 ft reach, and can be used as grappling hooks?
>>
So, random question because there's yet nother fantasy vs guns thread up: do anons think that 5e could mechanically handle "gunslinging subclasses"?

Like, PF has archetypes like the Holy Gun Paladin, the Trench Warfare Fighter, the Spellslinger Wizard, etc.

So, do you think 5e could pull off a rifle-master Ranger subclass, or a gunmage Wizard subclass, or a shotgun-toting fighter subclass, or a Blood Opera-style gun fuist Monk subclass, or whatever?
>>
>>54647342
They've rereleased archetypes in the past, and usually there was some improvement. I'd like to see more of that leading up to XGE to convince me that the process works and the book is worth getting.
>>
>>54647327
>Aarokecera
It's spelled Aarakocra, anon
>>
>>54647362
A subclass should not focus on a particular weapon. It should define the character in more ways than "he or she uses a gun."
So you'd need to tell a more compelling story.
>Holy Gun Paladin, Trench Warfare Fighter
Not different enough from the base set of abilities to require existing.
>Spellslinger Wizard
Could be interesting, but should not focus solely on guns. It should allow for any ranged weapon (or any weapon, even) to be used.
>>
>>54647327
why don't you give them slow fall instead. just say they have like, wings, but their race doesn't have the muscle to use them for actual flight, so it just gives them a gliding slow fall. you don't need to have to fly at all.
>>
>>54647371
That's cool and all, but do you have a suggestion? I assumed I misspelled it because it's a weird name.
>>
>>54647342
>That's never going to happen
Barbarian's Path of the Ancestral Guardian, Bard's College of Swords, Fighter's Arcane Archer and Cavalier, Monk's Way of the Kensai, Sorcerer's Favored Soul, Druid's Circle of the Shepherd, Paladin's Oath of Conquest, Warlock's Celestial patron
>>
>>54647422
That's workable, and better than trying to reinvent the wheel. Thanks.
>>
>>54646575
>theangrygm
>>
>>54647327
Going to second the other anon and say make it a slow fall effect. Hell, if you want to make it over complicated, can just make it "Glide: When falling, you can spend an action to fly an equal distance to the height you are falling from (only up to your movement speed per round)." or somesuch, but made so it doesn't sound so wonky (I'm tired and I've got a headache).

But at least that way it means your character can conceivably make use of great heights to glide, but you cannot take *off* of the ground, and are going to be constantly dropping in altitude (and using your action to do so really prohibits most cheese).
>>
>>54647362
The problem is that they already used the PF gunslinger grit mechanic for the sorcerer.

Another alternative is to use a modified Battle master's combat superiority system.

People like to pretend 5e couldn't handle a gunslinger class because of its design philosophy, but that's bullshit pushed by people who worship muh mediaeval stasis.
>>
>>54647576
It's not that 5e can't handle it, it's the fact that the idea of a class based entirely around using guns is fucking stupid.
>>
>>54647689
Gunslingers are just Paladins of Murlynd.
>>
>>54647362
aesthetically, you don't have to change much for spellcasters if you just want the theme. I managed to convince my DM to let my warlock have a pistol as his arcane focus, so he casts his spells through it and shoots them at people, giving him +1 to hit with it because it's got sights.
>>
>>54646363
>every post longer than 5 words is copypasta
>>
>>54647900
nah, it's more than that. copypasta has a certain feel to it. usually you can tell, in the post, that the original poster of it was going for some kind of sassy comeback that got co-opted into a meme. it's a specific kind of autism that makes copypasta into reality.
>>
>>54647861

I rigged up a whole Engineer class using Warlock as a base. Got a couple of capacitor batteries that you can recharge during a short rest, all spells require foci but none require verbal. Int instead of Cha, some different pact options. My setting's about 1910-level, magitech wise. It's working well.
>>
>>54647986
that sounds good. you got a concept for spellcasting turrets? because if i'm gonna play an eldritch engineer i'm gonna wanna go for the meme.
>>
What spells should a third level sorcerer have? I'm gonna play one and I have no idea what spells I should take
>>
>>54648077
Haste, Fly and Hypnotic Pattern in particular stand out to me
>>
>>54647986
It does kinda feel like warlock would be suitable for engineer if it were refluffed.

>Decent main attack with possible add-on utility
>Invocations as 'gadgets' that can be swapped out after levels
>Spells twice a short rest as their general resource abilities.

So with a bit of rework..
>>
>>54648110
Third level sorcerer, not third level spells anon
>>
>>54648077
depends what kinda character you're going for but haste and fireball are safe bets.
>>
>>54648135
>haste and fireball
See >>54648131
>>
>>54648049
Casting shit through a familiar would probably be the closest existing thing to work with.
>>
>>54648131
colour spray and chromatic orb then.
>>
>>54646184
I bet you couldn't even write a decent adventure hook either.
>>54647302
I believe I wrote that article you posted.
>>
>>54646184
It's basically playing a draconic version of Hellboy.
>>
>>54648172
I'd say scorching ray if he's doing the fire dragon thing
>>
>>54648119
Isn't Fly a meme spell?

>>54648131
>Third level sorcerer
This, but it's useful to know what spells I should take on next few levels

>>54648135
>haste and fireball are safe bets
The other anon also suggested haste, it seems a great spell to take if I choose Twinned Metamagic

>>54648172
>colour spray and chromatic orb then.
Thanks

How does Magic Missile compares to Chromatic Orb?
>>
>>54648260
magic missile has more than one chance to hit. chromatic orb does more damage, and you can choose the type it does, so with some "accidental" metagaming it can occasionally be invaluable
>>
>>54648260
>Isn't Fly a meme spell?
Not really. Some people mistakenly think it's a solution to everything, but it renders a huge amount of the monster manual unable to engage you
>>
File: Examine.jpg (20KB, 493x387px) Image search: [Google]
Examine.jpg
20KB, 493x387px
>>54648315
>magic missile
>chance to hit
>>
>>54648260
Chromatic orb does better damage and you can chose it's damage type.

Magic missile cannot miss.

I prefer MM usually because burning a spell slot on a spell that ends up doing nothing sucks.
>>
>>54648346
i have gone back and read the spell again. forgive me my error. this also means i need to have a talk with my DM about a few thousand missed magic missiles.
>>
>>54648436
>a few thousand missed magic missiles
You forgettable, illiterate fuck
>>
>>54648436
>forgive me my error
NEVEok

punch your DM for us plz
>>
>>54646685
Agreed. Though I wouldn't mind find familiar and steed being added to the spell or ritual list with thematic mechanical alteration.
>>
>>54648448
I get that there's always people new to the hobby, but always hitting is basically the entire purpose of magic missile
>>
>>54646290
Hello fellow Virtposter. I'm cVre. Can I join your session? You seem like a fun fellow.
>>
It appears c0re has woken up from his beauty slumber.
You know what we must do - we must all become c0re so that the attention whore is unable to command attention.
>>
>>54648587
Or you can just fucking ignore him like most of us have been doing for the last 2-3 threads
>>
>>54647302
>>54648191
>>54646030
Stop being fucking autistic. And stop trying to claim credit for someone else's work.
>>
>>54648602
I suppose I can try this approach. Very well.
>>
>>54648191
Might be worth pointing out in your new guide that, aside from using GWM or having significant on-hit damage buffs, Green-Flame Blade is always superior damage to Extra Attack.
>>
>>54648645
Unless you're going for smite novas
>>
>>54646422
And no one wants to play with you, but you're the bad smell that lingers. Stop being fucking autistic.
>>
>>54648645
Except that fire is the 2nd most resisted damage type.
>>
>>54645550
What is a game mechanic for a non-simulation rpg for 200, Trebek.
>>
>>54648448
the only campaign I put any time into was the one I did where our DM made some characters for us and then we played them. I had a wizard, hence magic missile. He apparently never read the spell properly, and I just assumed he put the thing down correctly.
>>
>>54648672
More Sorc levels gives you higher spell slots so

>>54648727
Then you use Booming Blade instead
>>
So, r8 my sorcerer (draconic) level 3 spell list:

>1st level spells: Magic Missile, Chromatic Orb and Shield
>2nd level spell: Suggestion

I'm going to choose Twinned and Heightened metamagics
>>
When will Wizards put out an adventure that doesn't involve FR? Niggers need to stop cramming Greyhawk shit into FR
>>
>>54649081
presumably when they release a campaign book for something else

probably eberron but maybe dark sun
>>
>>54648727
Whats the first
>>
>>54649134
Poison probably
>>
So I'm working on a character who's a dedicated undead hunter (in a world where undead are the known and premier threat). I've not fully gotten class/race down yet (probably a paladin or a ranger, maybe a cleric) but I'm trying to think of the kinds of things he would have in his "kit"

Specifically what might someone who spends a lot of time and has a lot of experience hunting undead carry with them? I'm thinking of tools to dispose of the bodies in a way that they won't come back and maybe some way to ward off disease. Any other ideas?
>>
>>54649166
Holy water is pretty much where required undead hunting items begin and end really.
>>
>>54649166
A sword or other weapon, maybe a shield, stakes for vampires
>>
>>54649004
Ditch Chromatic Orb and Suggestion
Magic Missile isn't that great, either

Get
Sleep (swap next level)
Burning Hands (aoe)
Hold Person (premier wisdom 'save or get fucked')
Phantasmal Force (targets int, better alt. to Hold Person than Suggestion)

Don't bother with Heightened right now, you don't have the SP to make proper use of it. Get Quickened Spell.
>>
File: AcroRd32_2017-08-01_19-18-32.png (114KB, 557x103px) Image search: [Google]
AcroRd32_2017-08-01_19-18-32.png
114KB, 557x103px
>>54649166
>>54649206
Wooden stake
>>
>>54649166
You'd probably want armor
>>
>>54649166
Monster Hunter Ranger (or whatever its called), or Monster Hunter Fighter (or whatever its called), or Raven Queen Warlock, or some combination of these classes. Hell a Paladin would work - either Devotion (since great at getting rid of those undead), Vengeance (FUCK THOSE UNDEAD), or Ancients are all good options to take (an all PHB options).

Holy Water. Stakes. Silvered weapon.
>>
>>54646005
I too would like this
>>
>>54649269
>Suggestion
Why though?

>Sleep (swap next level)
I thought sleep was already bet at level 3

>Burning Hands
Ok

>Hold Person
It only works on humanoids and allows a save every turn, isn't it too circumstantial?

>Phantasmal Force
This spell seems complicated...
>>
>>54649350
>It only works on humanoids and allows a save every turn, isn't it too circumstantial?
Nigga are you seriously talking shit on Hold Peson?
>>
>>54649378
I'm just asking...
>>
>>54649412
You autocrit on them for a turn nigga
>>
What's up with Barbarogues?
>>
File: 010a.jpg (281KB, 1309x1300px) Image search: [Google]
010a.jpg
281KB, 1309x1300px
Does anyone have any stories/experience they can share regarding playing as the waterborne ua minotaurs? Alternatively, has anyone had any fun times with grappler characters?
maybe both?

I'm going to do a minotaur shield master grappler and I'm a little apprehensive about my damage output.
>>
>>54649290
>Raven Queen Warlock

This one seems a little out of place. Why is it paired with the others?
>>
>>54649456
They exploit a very tiny overlap between two classes, by using strength to wield a finesse weapon to gain the bonus damage of both class features.

Basically, it's munchkin as fuck.
>>
>>54649464
I personally view grappling characters as more control characters than damage characters. You force things onto the ground, and then you keep them there, so that everyone has advantage to hit them and they have disadvantage to hit back.

There's some ways to turn it into damage (like pushing people off cliffs, dragging them along spikes, drowning them, throwing them in the air), but that tends to be situational.

I cannot recall specifically how waterbourne UA handles minotaurs, but I'm pretty sure you have a natural attack, so you'll do better than most grapplers simply because while one hand has a shield in it, and the other is holding down an enemy, you can gore someone with your horns.

Barbarogues tend to be viewed the best grapplers.

>>54649501
Off handily (I didn't play 4e or anything like that), but by memory isn't raven queen's entire schtick being "Fuck the Undead", basically? Tossed it in there because of that - and because Warlock lends itself extremely well to multiclassing. You can easily end up with a Devotion Paladin / Raven Queen Warlock to double down on that.
>>
>>54649501
>Goddess of Death
>Hates the undead with the fury of 1000 suns

You do the math
>>
>>54649542
Raven Queen supports undead. The Undying Light is the "fuck you undead" patron.
>>
I think Liam fudges his rolls in Critical Role
>>
>>54649456
It's extremely defensive and only has to compromise its defense to basically guarantee a sneak attack. It's also a lot easier to justify in character than a lot of other min-maxy multiclass combinations
>>
>>54649571
>Raven Queen supports undead
How many posts has it been since someone has been this wrong in 5eg?
>>
>>54649576
Don't care about CR but Oooh drama
>>
>>54649456
Basically, they can end up synergizing fairly well - in a vaguely kind of wonky way.

For example: Rogues give Expertise that you can use on Athletics to boost your grappling capability, and then Rage gives you Advantage on Strength Checks, so you become VERY likely to pull off and maintain grapples.

Outside of grappling-meme, their mechanics just tend to synergize pretty damned well. Boosts to initiative, boosts to dexterity saving throws, cunning action, yadda yadda.

Finesse weapons are required to use Sneak Attack, but you don't have to use Dex to attack with, so you can still attack with Rage and gain all your Rage benefits, while also gaining Sneak Attack bonuses.

>>54649571
Off hand here again, but isn't Undying Light vaguely !not-Lich? Raven Queen most definitely does not support undead.
>>
>>54649616
Yeah I fucked up and misread Raven Queen, but Undying Light is definitely anti-undead.
>>
>>54649616
Also fucked up, Undying Light is also anti-undead, yeah. By memory it was pretty poorly received, while I don't recall Raven Queen being a big issue - so I would probably direct people to check that out instead.

That and I don't know how I feel about the flaws on an 'undead hunter' character - personally, at least.
>>
>>54649350

Suggestion is a Wisdom-save disable. It has some utility, but you can use Hold Person instead.

Sleep is still decent at taking care of mooks. Honestly I'd enjoy keeping it on the list but early sorc is far too limited to keep it.

Hold Person is fucking amazing. Autocrits yo. And you can twin it without need to upcast.

Phantasmal Force is great. Not only does it have out-of-combat potential, if you're uncreative you can just say the enemy is now being swarmed with killer ants or is locked in a cage or whatever else works - you don't need to overthink it. Pick whether you want the target to stay still or run away, and whether you want it to take damage or not, and come up with standard illusions for those cases.
>>
>>54649722
Or you could upcast and twin, everybody is held bitch
>>
I need backstory suggestions for a pirate character (human, life cleric).
Throw some random shit at me, whatever comes to mind.
>>
>>54649762
A crew enlisted you to stop them from getting scurvy/other diseases
>>
>>54649759
twin can only work on a spell that targets one person
>>
>>54649802
Drat, foiled again
>>
>>54644597
Check another edition, friend.

>>54645314
>>54645550
You can swing a 10 pound weapon with one hand if you want to. Improvised attack. 1d4 damage.
>>
>>54649762

You shot an albatross, your entire crew died, and now you must share your tale and espouse the value of life to all you meet.
>>
>>54649762
pic related.
>>
Does the reincarnate spell work on monsterous races?
>>
>>54649827
>Improvised attack. 1d4 damage.
Only improvised weapons that do not resemble existing weapons deal 1d4
>>
>>54649859
A one handed improvised greatsword attack would deal 2d6?
>>
File: Capture.png (29KB, 1091x562px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
29KB, 1091x562px
>>54645441
hey /5eg/
this is my planned spell build for my lore bard. what do you think? what should i change? thnx
>>
>>54649913
probly with a large attack penalty, yeah
>>
>>54649913
That's not what I said
>>
>>54649937
How large???
>>
>>54649958
Personally, I'd rule no proficiency bonus to the attack and no STR mod to damage
>>
New DM here. How do I get better at handling monster tactics to run interesting encounters?
>>
>>54649973
Improvised gives you str to damage tho
>>
>>54649982
1d8 damage then
>>
>>54649958
>>54649973
definitely no proficiency if it's IMPROVISED weaponry, the other bonuses I'd take off/halve/whatever depending on what it is and what you're doing. Just holding a greatsword in 1 hand should be handle-able by the size rules I should think.
>>
File: IMG_1731.jpg (37KB, 240x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1731.jpg
37KB, 240x200px
>>54649994
>>
>>54649616
You're thinking about the Undying Patron. Different from the Undying Light Patron.
>>
File: 1481577462574.jpg (186KB, 700x872px) Image search: [Google]
1481577462574.jpg
186KB, 700x872px
>>54649923
plz respond, here is tits in return
>>
>>54646392
This may take more effort than you're willing to put in, but just start reading more books.

Reading will expand your vocabulary. A bigger vocabulary makes you sound more intelligent. If you come across a word you don't know, look it up.

Read when you take a shit. Read before you go to bed. Read when you're on the bus.

Beyond your game of D&D this will come in handy very often.

Another character trait of high INT people is confidence. You KNOW the answer to the question. You KNOW the history of this place. You KNOW the lineage of this noble house (etc).

You aren't guessing or using context clues. You know your shit and that makes you confident. You're comfortable because you aren't going to be surprised by something unexpected. If something unexpected does happen then it's fascinating. "Magnificent... Kalismere never mentioned this phenomenon in her notes"
>>
>>54649464
Gore those niggas nigga your hands can be occupied and you still bring the pain.
>>
File: isometricdungeonscoloured.jpg (1MB, 4500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
isometricdungeonscoloured.jpg
1MB, 4500x1500px
Hey guys, what do people think of isometric maps? Been thinking about using some on a small scale, maybe even drawing some to sell/give away online if they work out well. Has anyone here used them before? Or is anyone interested in using some yourselves? Or would you be more interested in the regular flat-maps?

pic related, it's what piqued my interest in them.
>>
Can anyone explain to me why that Knight fighter option in that one UA says "if an enemy moves more than one foot," when all movement in this game is in five foot integers? Is this just a way to say 'two for flinching' to your dm and smack his npc in the arm or is there an actual reason? I dont understand this shit and still don't.
>>
>>54650430
UA is poorly worded, breaking news
>>
>>54650430
>when all movement in this game is in five foot integers
It isn't, grid is an optional rule
>>
>>54650191

As aesthetically pleasing as they might be, I think they might be hard to use.
>>
>>54646290
> Or they made shitty life choices and are now stuck in a "career" where they have to work weird hours, or they have kids so only have time to play in between "watching the little guy" while the wife is out clubbing with Tyrone and Jamal

fucking lost it
>>
File: harkinan.png (5KB, 546x459px) Image search: [Google]
harkinan.png
5KB, 546x459px
Are the core books in the Trove the most recent editions, that is, would downloading them mean I wouldn't need to download the errata?
>>
How much time should I allow new players to have in-combat before declaring actions? I don't want to stop them from strategizing but they take fucking forever.
>>
>>54646332
Make sure your DM uses the Metal gear solid detection system when you sneak around.
>>
>>54650652
The errata should be integrated via PDF highlights and comments.
>>
>>54650765
Depends on why they're taking so long. If they're still getting used to the game, chill. If they're asking what they can do/how to do stuff then start penalizing them.
>>
Going to start strahd soon with a new DM. PlPlanning on being a wild magic sorcerer. Thr theme of the character is creepy little girl (like the movie the ring) what kind of weapons would be flavorful as far as combat wise?
>>
>>54650943
>wild magic sorcerer
>what kind of weapons
Magic
>>
>>54645441
>Is your GM/are you stingy with magic items/weapons/armor/etc?

As a DM, I like coming up with magic items that fit the setting or the characters, or just gag items (example: Bagpipes of Invisibility. You are invisible for as long as you play these bagpipes). If the adventure has a comical tone, I let the players find more magic items. If the adventure has a more serious tone, I make sure the players earn their magic items.

All-in-all, I'm more likely to hand out a magic item than allow the party to get beyond level 5. I prefer to keep my adventures low-level.

>>54646647
UA: Dark Sun.

>>54647327
Flying is all the Aarakocra really have going for them. I say keep it as is, but if you want to tweak it further allow them to fly more depending on their level. At 1st level they can only fly 20ft, but can fly more once they hit other levels.

>>54647362
I mean, sure, getting some gun-themed class paths sound cool but it sounds too limited in scope. What mechanical benefit would each path get aside from being proficient with firearms? To keep things simple, I'd say either just make certain classes proficient with firearms, or make some kind of firearms fighting style that can be used by classes with access to fighting styles.

>>54649166
I'd say look up different folklore regarding the undead. What undead are you specializing in, if any? See what supposed weakness undead have and see if it applies (holy symbols, garlic, holy water, silver, wolfsbane [werewolves aren't undead, but maybe you're looking to expand on your portfolio], etc.)
>>
File: 7353441_1453245985.4213_updates.jpg (98KB, 600x846px) Image search: [Google]
7353441_1453245985.4213_updates.jpg
98KB, 600x846px
What's the most well-liked Sorcerer Subclass?
>>
would magic types still care about Dex if Mage Armor scaled off of your casting stat?
>>
>>54651238
Do you mean changing it from 13+DEX to 10+(casting stat) or 13+(casting stat)? The first doesn't seem crazy to me, but don't even think about the second one
>>
How does one actually build a barbarogue?
>>
>>54650041
desu, Bards in my experience usually end up having to swap spells frequently to pull the party's ass out of the fire. Being solid generalists they are more adaptable then most classes to whatever campaign you are facing, imo
However, one solid pick I can recommend is healing word.
Another fun thing to do is grab Dimension Door, father fall (I used the Magic Initiate feat) and literally talk someone into coming with you... 500ft into the air. That was a satisfying splat.
Expertise in Persuasion, Deception and Performance can go a looong way friend.
>>
>PC's family committed enough sin that a devil cursed the bloodline
>Past few generations have been born tieflings
>PC still generally falls to sin, but has hope that one day he will redeem himself and his bloodline

I want to keep tempting him with various choices. The evil path as tons to gain while the good gets nothing in return or may even be detrimental.
Gib ideas plx
>>
File: C3ydkmtWQAAhjHe.jpg (67KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
C3ydkmtWQAAhjHe.jpg
67KB, 680x680px
>>54651462
>Another fun thing to do is grab Dimension Door, father fall (I used the Magic Initiate feat) and literally talk someone into coming with you... 500ft into the air.
Ah yes, the ol' Pinochet Parade.
>>
>>54651489
Give him a FEW nice things on the good path, come on man.
>>
>>54651489
You're the DM who takes a player choosing to play a Paladin as a personal challenge, aren't you?
>>
>>54651392
1, 2, or 4 levels of barb, rest rogue
Str > Dex but use a rapier because you still get to sneak attack
Spam reckless attack to fish for critical sneak attacks
Use rage, medium armor, shield, and uncanny dodge to take very little damage
Use a million skills outside of combat
???
FUN
>>
>>54651600
If you're going to go 4 levels of barb you may as well go 5 for the extra attack, a rogue benefits a lot from that.
>>
>>54651535
Didn't mean he wouldn't ever get anything good, just that SOMETIMES there would be a price for the really good stuff

>>54651562
No
>>
>>54646374
to add to this make sure ur chaotic neutral so you can justify it since ur le quirky random man
>>
>>54651489
No, silly, both good and evil grant rewards. The difference is the type of reward and how fast it come.
The reason evil is tempting is because it offers hard material rewards, fast. You stab this shopkeeper, you get a lot of money and items immediately. You betray an employer and take the money he has on him at the time instead of doing a dangerous job. Quick, easy profit.
Good gives rewards of a different sort. It leads you to develop relationships with people. You can then rely on those people in the future to help you out when you need help, even if you don't get rich quick (or ever). You also don't have to look over your shoulder all the time. Also, sometimes patience pays off - after years of working for an employer, he gives you a large bonus. The shopkeeper starts charging you less. Etc.
Throwing temptation after temptation at the poor player without any reward for his dedication is also simply not fun. He's not playing in your game because he likes suffering, he wants a cool tale of redemption. Be a good DM and give him that. You don't have to make it easy, but don't make it sadistic, either.

>>54651617
Yes, that is fair.
>>
File: lair-of-the-beast.jpg (868KB, 1522x1523px) Image search: [Google]
lair-of-the-beast.jpg
868KB, 1522x1523px
>>54650598

True enough; but I could at least have use for them in a d20 game or some other online game, surely?
>>
Has anybody ever used stat boosts as a reward? Obviously this should not be done casually, but once in a blue moon I'm thinking it might be justified.
Towards the very end of my previous campaign (which went up to very high levels), the characters accomplished a great deed and in order to recognize their superhuman stature I allowed each of them to boost one of their stats by 2, up to a maximum of 22.
I hope this doesn't sound like bait.
>>
>>54651922
There's magic items that do exactly that so it's not that far fetched.
>>
I feel like the dwarf subraces don't tell a very interesting story compared to some of the other races'.
The elf subraces, merely by existing, evoke the duality of elf society (forest vs magical cities) and the conflict with their race's dark history (the drow).
The halfling subraces tell a story of a race that has, at various points, interbred with other races in ways that produced subtle but permanent changes in their characteristics.
The gnome subraces don't tell anything interesting, but at least they're extremely differentiated, fluff-wise.
Don't get me wrong - I'm a grognard of the highest order, and I've read books with conflicts between hill and mountain dwarves. But at the end of the day, they're both miners and craftsmen with a relatively similar social structure. Hill dwarves just never seemed as anything other than "mountain dwarfs lite."
It's gotten to the point where in my homebrew setting, I don't care which subrace players pick for their dwarf characters, because I don't feel like either one has a compelling narrative that helps me fit them to my in-world cultures. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions/relevant anecdotes about this situation?
>>
File: AcroRd32_2017-08-01_22-55-54.png (299KB, 450x433px) Image search: [Google]
AcroRd32_2017-08-01_22-55-54.png
299KB, 450x433px
>>54651922
Read the book anon
>>
>>54652106
I completely forgot about these! That makes my reward a lot less controversial or conversation-starting, I suppose.
>>
What are some rules you generally ignore? For my group, it's these.

>light conditions
>encumbrance/weight
>food/hunger
>difficult terrain
>>
I just hit 4 on my college of swords bard, and I'm having trouble deciding what feat to choose. I already have dual wielding, so I was thinking of defensive duelist, but I'm not sure if that would be overly redundant with blade flourish. Any tips?
>>
Question:
Is forgoing agonizing blast for the first ten levels of warlock worth it so I can grab Book of Ancient Secrets, Misty Visions, Mask of Many Faces, Sign of Ill Omen, Mire the Mind, and so forth so that I can virtually expend my spells per day, daily spell list, and general casting ability at the expense of a few extra damage each time I cast Eldritch Blast.
Choose two of the following...

A. Whatever you find makes a fun character to play.
B. If you don't optimize eldritch blast and use it every turn, you're going to be responsible for your party sucking.
C. I've never played a warlock, so my opinion is based on speculation.
D. I liked my father's asshole when I was eight. He was asleep and it looked scrumptious.
>>
>>54652206
Why do you ignore difficult terrain?
>>
>>54652217
You really don't have to be an asshole about the whole thing. It's even worse because you're an idiot.
>a few extra damage each time I cast Eldritch Blast.
Once you hit charisma 20, that's +5 every time. The average on 1d10 is 5.5 You're almost DOUBLING your damage with Agonizing Blast. If you don't take it, you're directly responsible for YOU sucking.
We all know warlock invocations are taxed, but that's just the way it is.
>>
>>54652206
I'm vaguely curious how much people obey the 'if the targets behind someone else, they get cover' rule.

But agreed with other anon; why ignore difficult terrain?
>>
>>54652049
>Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions/relevant anecdotes about this situation?

I've never liked the "hill dwarf" concept. Mountain dwarves that live in hills are still mountain dwarves.

In my setting, I don't divide dwarves based on what kind of rock formation they prefer to dwell in.

I borrowed a bit from FR's idea of "gold dwarves" and Warhammer Fantasy's chaos dwarfs and refluffed "hill dwarves" into super degenerate Californian slavers. Their skin is gold but that's because of retarded amounts of tanning. Their hair is dyed a fake golden blonde to emulate the sun, which they worship. They don't live in mountains or hills, but rather they build massive pyramids/ziggurats and live degenerate lives of utmost luxury. This earns them the hatred of the "traditional" mountain dwarves and the two have occasionally clashed over these cultural differences.

Some of these refluffed hill dwarves break away from their society and form a completely new one that outlaws slavery (so that everyone knows they are Good Guys and so that players can play a "different" dwarf) and their new culture is a very weird mixture of their interpretation of "traditional" mountain dwarf culture and their old degenerate, Sun-worshiping culture.
>>
>>54651059
Bard
>>
>>54652225
>>54652287
Group doesn't use a grid, so it's hard to keep track of. The obvious exception is when everything in the immediate area is difficult terrain.
>>
>>54652049

Make up your own fluff.

Badaboom, there you go, problem solved!
>>
I'm having a hard time picking spells. I'm making a abjurist wizard. Any recommendations?
>>
File: Wallpaper 10.jpg (498KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Wallpaper 10.jpg
498KB, 1920x1080px
I have a player who's rolled up a Card Player character, low combat power directly, but decent utility with Fate Dice and can fill in the roll for a thief somewhat better than a Bard can.
They've hinted at a few junctures they want to open some kind of thieving...thing? I dunno what to call it, but her character definitely wants to do some fencing and pickpocketing on an organized scale.

So the thing is I dunno how to do this angle. Never really done anything like that, and given how her character only has mentioned it in an obtuse ways to NPCs unaffiliated with the "good guys" I of course don't see a decent way to do this in a normal gaming session anyways.
Should I perhaps set up a solo session for her character to do some thievery and general skulduggery and try to let her set up some crappy thieving guild she could build up on later?
>>
>>54652478
What level?
>>
>>54652217
>>54652280

Like the other guy says, the fact is that if you're a Tomelock without Agonizing Blast, you're essentially playing a gimped wizard.

With that invocation set, might as well play an Illusionist.
>>
>>54652509
>>
>>54649923
Uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhh
it looks pretty good to me
>>
>>54652521
A tomelock without Agonizing Blast goes straight into the garbage. In fact, a tomelock without a 2 level dip of Sorcerer and 2 more levels in Paladin might as well be in the trash too.
>>
What is the best class for Yuan-ti Purebloods?
>>
>>54652571
Why?
>>
>>54652613
probably PHB beastmaster
>>
>>54652613
Loremaster Wizard
>>
>>54652613
Any of the CHA classes.
>>
Is this weapon really over powered, I just kinda added powers I thought were thematic for it.

+1d4 Fire Damage, works as a spell focus, on a crit it applies the effect of searing smite, but for half as long. Can be used to cast elemental weapon 3x per day. +1d4 more damage to large creatures.

(Fluff, weapon built to kill giants by a god of the sun and fire) It'll get stronger later as the weapon awakens, the level is 3 and the player this is intended for is a pal2/sorc2
>>
>>54652632
Because you're deliberately dragging your party down in your garbage.
>>
>>54652729
sorry, level 4*
>>
>>54652762
>c0re
i just got out of your session and let me tell you if i have to sit through the same crap again next week i am dropping out
>>
>>54652729
>>54652771
You're giving this item to a fucking level 4 character? Are you insane?
>>
Trying to pitch a campaign of 5e for my group, and wondering what the verdict on the Grey Hawk Initiative UA is? Is it good? Is it just troublesome, in regard to other stuff than just what the UA already mentions?

Also is the "consolation movement" something you roll if you have nothing to attack, and then add it to your initiative that you already have? Like you roll a die for a melee attack, end up on initiative 8, and if nothing's there, you roll the movement and add that, and act on the new number?
>>
>>54652782
No you won't. That was the best session I've had in a long time. I laughed so much my face hurts, so stop trying to slander me.
>>
>>54652729
It's a lot for a level 4 character. Try this.

???? Weapon name
>While attuned to this weapon you deal an additional 1d4 points of fire damage on a hit. This item can also be used as a spellcasting focus for your sorcerer spells.

Add the Large creature and elemental weapon bonus later. Drop the searing smite ability entirely.
>>
>>54652805
it was just memeing youre literally everything wrong with this game
>>
>>54652783
There's a reason I asked
>>
>>54652819
STOP TAKING HIS BAIT YOU FUCKING IDIOT
EVERYONE ELSE IN THE THREAD HAS MANAGED TO DO IT UNTIL YOU GOBBLED IT THE FUCK UP
>>
>>54652729
I would argue just to have it deal 3 fire damage to Large creatures, and the enchantment doesn't otherwise work (for now)
As they level and the sword awakens, say around level 7 or 8, the sword will now also deal 3 fire damage to other creatures it hits, and 12 or so the fire damage increases to 6 against Large.
>>
>>54652819
You had to have at least liked the parts with the bathroom. Most Battlemaps with castles don't have those, and it was a cornerstone of the whole session.
>>
>>54652729
>>54652808
Actually, I take it back, drop the elemental weapon property (It does not work with magic weapons) entirely, if you want to give them more damage increase the fire damage it does to 1d6~1d8. What weapon is this btw?
>>
>>54652830
hm, I'd rather not have it deal a static number, I think I'll just go with this anon
>>54652808
>>
>>54652632
Literally always ignore this c0re namefag when he shows up. Apparently it's some butthurt troll who is trying to besmirch the "actual" c0re as though any of us give a shit.
>>
>>54652827
I'm not convinced this isn't the namefag samefagging.
>>
>>54652855
>besmirch
Anon I have done nothing but help the good players of this thread. I've given excellent advice on how to not shit up their tables and provided meaningful homebrew.

You are the one causing a scene. I don't know what's wrong with you.
>>
>>54652840
>(It does not work with magic weapons)
Yeah I know, it's meant to be able to buff allies, since they're not all going to get magic weapons at the same time, but now I realize it's concentration and it is too strong anyways.
>>54652840
>What weapon is this btw?
Longsword for a swordnboard
>>
File: 1453581338193.jpg (132KB, 900x630px) Image search: [Google]
1453581338193.jpg
132KB, 900x630px
How can I make something along the lines of a bladesinger that isn't pure shit? Are bladesingers as bad as I think they are? can I make something like a bladesinger cleric?
>>
>>54652877
>Longsword
Keep the extra fire damage at a 1d4 then when it upgrades cap it at 1d6.

How many upgrades is this item going to have and how do they upgrade it?
>>
>>54652891
Bladesingers are possibly the most Overpowered Wizard tradition. Theurge might beat it out with bullshit. You really should only play one of those two.
>>
As a Fighter taking the Resilient feat, which is more useful? Proficiency in Dex or Wis saving throws?
>>
>>54652895
Planning on having it begin at 1d4 anyways, I'm not sure how many upgrades this is going to get, I think I'll just play it by ear. It'll be upgraded on level ups (not every level up) or if the player goes through a quest especially for it.
>>
>>54652913. Dex. Hardest thing for you in heavy armor.
>>
>>54652925
>>54652895
btw every player will get a scaling magic item, around the same strength
>>
File: Evolving Magic Items.pdf (3MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
Evolving Magic Items.pdf
3MB, 1x1px
>>54645441
Nope, I'm pretty open to magic items in my game. Several powerful cities have magic item shops where in you can buy magic weapons and armors. I run a high magic campaign where these items exist.

I use these as tools for role play and use them to bring out more personality in my players and PCs.
>>
The real c0re here. Thanks for ignoring and filtering the name fag. I know you don't care who I am and that's totally cool, I'm nobody. Just keep ignoring them and don't take their bait and they will eventually go away.

I'm sorry they are doing this to you guys. I wish I knew what I did to make them so butt hurt.
>>
>>54652913
Wis. Dex saves largely just mean that you take more damage. Wis saves tend to cost you rounds or control of your character in some way
>>
File: 1492646144828.jpg (421KB, 1008x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1492646144828.jpg
421KB, 1008x1600px
>>54652790
Bumping this plz
>>
>>54652967
Fuck off holy shit
>>
>>54652967
What are you so against me for? You keep trying to ruin my name. Can't you just leave me alone? Are you that jealous of my homebrew, my family, my friends, my job? What drives you to shitpost like this.
>>
>>54652967
If it really is you, no hate. You ain't done nothing wrong to us.
(Also, how do you filter people by name? I totally forgot that was an option)
>>
>>54652643
Why Beastmaster? Isn't it Wisdom based?
>>
File: dont_believe.jpg (15KB, 347x328px) Image search: [Google]
dont_believe.jpg
15KB, 347x328px
>>54652967
>>
>>54653009
You're right, 4 elements monk is probably better for it
>>
>>54652967
multiple anons have posted in your name claiming you don't come here and some claiming to be you saying you would not look back here.

youre either a liar, or a troll. either way leave with the others
>>
>>54652925
I recommend figuring out how many upgrades these will have so you can plan out what benefits they gain at what stage. You can play the upgrade process by ear but not the number of upgrades.
>>
>>54653030
I think you're missing the bigger picture here. If you're going to bother responding to shit about this guy just put his name in the name field so I can auto-filter it
>>
>>54653037
fair enough, I expect the campaign will get around lv 15, how many upgrades would you suggest?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170802-001748.png (192KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170802-001748.png
192KB, 1080x1920px
This is actually me. I come to the thread occasionally every few days, but haven't recently due to the name fagging. I'm here because some people sent me screen caps of some of the dumb shit this guy was saying and I just wanted to apologize to you guys.
>>
File: Ideal D&D combat.webm (3MB, 1024x426px) Image search: [Google]
Ideal D&D combat.webm
3MB, 1024x426px
What class do I need to play to pull of shit like this?
>>
>>54653056
Two. One upgrade between levels 5-10+, and the second upgrade between 11-15+.
>>
>>54653080
How about that one Fighter class, Battlemaster? That gets all the sweet battle maneuvers.
>>
>>54653079
Fuck, forgot to put my name in the name field on mobile.
>>
I'm about to DM for the first time this weekend. Gonna run Storm King's Thunder with 3 players. A Bard, Barbarian, and a Wizard. Any advice for my first time? Anything I should know about Storm King's Thunder going in?

Pic just to get your attention
Instead of giving me advice I would also appreciate pictures of cool armour.
>>
>>54652206
I use all of those, except encumbrance sort of. I'm not really an asshole about it, but there's no fucking way the elf sorcerer is carrying a 200 lb treasure chest back to town without assistance. Tenser's Floating Disk is a great spell to have if the party is short a Strength character.
>>
>>54653085
sounds good to me, I think I'll have the first upgrade only be by level and the second have to be by quest, and deal with the sentient item's baggage
>>
File: 969.jpg (40KB, 600x552px) Image search: [Google]
969.jpg
40KB, 600x552px
>>54653079
>>
Can /5eg/ help me with my character concept? It's my 2nd character and I don't wanna be a special snowflake or some shit. DM is gonna plot hook us hard 1st session and told us we don't need to be adventurers quite yet.

>wizard who does some odds and ends supernatural ghost hunting services for the people of the city. He got intrested in ghosts and the supernatural when his childhood friend died, which he partially feels responsible for. He wants to contact his friend and tell him he's sorry to resolve his guilt or whatever. His job is lucrative and he enjoys it, but he longs for real excitement and adventure...
>>
>>54653080
What stupid-ass movie is this?
>>
>>54653079
We don't want proof. We don't hold anything against anyone except people shitting up the thread with Discord drama.
Just post what you want to post, ignore shitters, and let's all move on with our lives.
>>
>>54653108
Get all your notes together, including monster stat blocks.
>>
>>54653155
I think it's that King Arther movie that came out not that long ago that nobody watched. I'm kind of annoyed how much that weird ass windy sword shit makes me think of FSN Saber
>>
>>54653155

There was a King Arthur movie a little while back.
>>
>>54653080
I think you want /pfg/
>>
>>54653146
What a shitload of Ghost Hunters International to get a feel for how real people hunt ghosts.
>>
>>54653211
So instead of a necromancer magic man he should just carry around one of those EMF detectors and shit himself every time he hears a noise somewhere spooky?
>>
>>54652790
>>54652977
No one? Or is this another shitty general?
>>
>>54653166
What kind of things should I keep in my notes?
>>
>>54653248
Generally I've only heard negative things about the Greyhawk Initiative (or really anything that adds steps to initiative)
>>
>>54653232
Well if he's a legit studied-in-school wizzard he should know better than to hunt ghosts stupidly. If he's some sort of sorcerer or warlock who's just assuming he's on the right course (but completely mistaken) then you can roll with whatever you want! Much more interesting.

>Fuck up as a kid
>Make a small but bad deal with a Thing
>Get taught wrong on purpose, as a joke
>Go bigger and badder in your Pact
>Hunt ghosts
>>
>>54653248
Greyhawk Initiative slows down combat far too much for the benefits to be worth it. Initiative doesn't need to be fixed.
Will you stop whining now?
>>
>>54653211

Yeah and fuck the Winchesters. They're not cool at all
>>
>>54653232
Basically, yeah. Use prestidigitation to make spooky noises and then pretend to be scared of them. Wave around stupid looking trinkets and if anyone questions your methods tell them off.
>>
>>54653266
Well that's a shame, it looked interesting.

>>54653271
>Whining
I was asking because I wanted to know.
>>
>>54653280
Full on Frighteners with Unseen Servants
>>
File: 8y5ABu4.webm (156KB, 416x250px) Image search: [Google]
8y5ABu4.webm
156KB, 416x250px
>>54646575
>http://theangrygm.com/manage-combat-like-a-dolphin/

Holy fuck. Best wall of text ever. At last some content that actually helps me to DM better.
Helped me more than Mercer's and the other ugly bitch DM tips, more than SJW neckbeard Colville.

Awesome article.
>>
>>54653280
So basically you're saying just make an arcane trickster charlatan ghost hunter. I don't think that really meshes with what the guy was asking, but that actually sounds like a really fun idea
>>
File: archfey.jpg (65KB, 615x475px) Image search: [Google]
archfey.jpg
65KB, 615x475px
Please help, /tg/

First my players (level 10) will come across an archfey and have the chance to make a deal with him. He will ask for "a pledge from one of you. You will be oath bound, that I may call upon you at a later time of my choosing." Now as much as that would be a perfect chance to multiclass into warlock, none of them will be close to levelling up, but I still wanted to give a small boon as part of this oath.
>What could this boon be? I'm thinking he could grant them the ability to cast Sleep or Faerie Fire once per day (archfey warlock expanded list).

Second they will later fight an adult green dragon whose presence has started to corrupt the archfey's court. The party can use this to their advantage in their audience with him. But since he's a powerful archfey, with a whole court filled with Unseelie creatures, I'm sure my players will question
>Why doesn't he go himself after the dragon?
>>
>>54653307
Are fey all about following nonsensical rules? That's probably the easiest route to bullshit an answer.
>>
>>54653307
just be sure to throw them some plot hook shit with that boon if your timing is off
>invoking powers after their PRECISE/vague/misrepresented/ancient language contractual obligations invokes PENALTIES
>>
>>54653307
Cause it's fucking dangerous? Even a powerful leader isn't going to be keen to engage on the front lines.

As for a boon, those are pretty damned weak for level 10. Why not give them the actual Archfey warlock level 10 feature instead?

>Beginning at 10th level, your patron teaches you how to turn the mind-affecting magic of your enemies against them. You are immune to being charmed, and when another creature attempts to charm you, you can use your reaction to attempt to turn the charm back on that creature. The creature must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw against your warlock spell save DC or be charmed by you for 1 minute or until the creature takes any damage.
>>
>>54653352
>>54653307

Oh, and to cap it off, have the green dragon attempt to charm them, it makes the benefit obvious, and makes it feel like the party did well in making their choice.
>>
Any DM's out there who've run SKT, how did you make the final fight against Imyrith more interesting?

Even an ancient dragon will die quickly to 5 giants + a party.
>>
>>54653341
>if your timing is off
I'm not sure I understand what you said.

>>54653334
I think I'll have him say something like "Why would I endanger myself if I can send you in my stead?" and if prodded further he'll invoke some ancient contract that prevents him from attacking.

>>54653352
>>54653362
I didn't wanted to give a higher level warlock feature cause I feel it would kinda cheapen the class, but I really like what you suggested... Since they already have a devotion pally with anti-charm aura, I might just give a watered down version of the ability. No immunity to charm, but they can turn the charm back if they succeed on the save or are unaffected by any reason.
>>
>>54653500
It's always good practice to leave yourself an opening on shit you throw at the party that you can call back to later on if you need some more plot threads/legitimacy. Maybe instead of granting some ability you give them the loan of some tome with instructions only how to use one piece that includes your previous ability description. You've got a whole fuckin book there and they (you) don't need to know where it will come up next or what it really means or what consequences there will be. Just giving them some MECHANICAL reward is an awful idea. As for the hook into a warlock path you can tie that into a time-insensitive item easier.
>Book contains wards against mind control shit
>Also contains various eldritch secrets

>Future NPCs recognize the book in X plot for the future
>Asspull various things in emergency situations but make it look like you totally prepared for this moment
>Maybe archfey doesn't technically OWN this book and the real owners come looking (sequel hooks galore)

All sorts of options.
>>
>>54646390
You would think.

I joined up with a group of new players because I was bored over the summer and the very first thing the LMoP rogue bitch did was steal all my gold.

That was after the player delayed the game by 45 minutes because she haaaaaaaaad to have her vegan pizza ready before she could play.

Glad that game lasted one session. The guy who played the 4-Int barb did really well with what he had though. The most reluctant murderhobo ever.
>>
>>54646678
New to the board, what'd he do?
>>
>>54647358
I wouldn't, that's broken as fuck.
>>
>>54653624
Nothing. Hating on Mearls is just a /tg/ meme.
>>
>>54647358
>Artifact Weapon like Kratos's chain swords? 1d8+1d8 Necrotic Light (and includes TWF style if attuned) with 15 ft reach,

See >>54652951 Virtuous Calamity
>>
File: archfey 2 Nightsister.jpg (199KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
archfey 2 Nightsister.jpg
199KB, 500x500px
I wrote down a quick draft of the contract the archfey would present:

>I, King Witchthorn, ruler of the Shadow Glade, will grant you the piece of the [legendary item] in my possession. I will also disclose any information that I am able to share about the dragon [name and alias]. Lastly, I will grant you a boon.

>In return, the signer of this contract and his chosen companions will slay or drive off the aforementioned dragon. The signer must also make a pledge to King Witchthorn. They will be oath bound, that King Witchthorn may call upon them at a later time of his choosing.

Does this look like something an archfey would write? Should he use more flowery language? English is not my native language, so I always have a hard time making more eloquent stuff.

>>54653570
Now I see what you mean. Thanks for the advice!
>>
>>54653429
Minions. Minions everywhere. Players are easily distracted by minions.
>>
What can I do with Performance? Other than just performing, obviously. I got proficiency in it for flavor, but what can I actually use it for?
>>
>>54653307
Don't force your players to multiclass for shit. It's better to give them boons and they're always welcome to multiclass if they feel like it.

Give the dragon some sort of anti-fey artefact magic items. Magic items should have more meaning than 'I rolled a random loot table' or 'I decided I wanted to buff your attack so I gave you this', and this is a good display of 'Oh, so this is part of the reason they didn't want to go fight the dragon themselves!'
>>
>>54649576
Oooooh go on

Fuckin love me some drama

Especially when it comes from someone other than the drunk firecrotch retard riding her boyfriend's coattails through a career. I mean Marisha Ray, creative director of Whil Wheaton's jerkoff channel? C'mon. Bitch couldn't direct a cereal commercial.
>>
>>54653709
I've considered taking a 1-3 dip in pally w/ College of Glamour and enthralling people with long boring sermons. Actually getting away with charm spells is murder in 5e otherwise.

Depending on how you flavor it you can work it into other stuff but as a standalone skill it's pretty shit.
>>
>>54653280
>>54653211
kek this is what the idea grew out of. I think he'd generally want to help people but some folks just want a placebo and for that he busts out prestidigitation.
>>54653268
this is a pretty cool idea actually. problem is wizard spells seem more suited to ghost hunting than warlock spells
>>
>>54653770
Yeah but you can flavor a Patron into fucking anything.
>Fiendish Patron sets you to hunting missing/escaped bound souls
>collecting planar soul debts as a service for the living
Ghost Bounty Hunter
>>
New thread

>>54653851
>>54653851
>>54653851
>>54653851
>>54653851
>>
>>54653858
>329 replies
>>
>>54650943
Knives or razors. No bonus points for cutting yourself.
>>
>>54652790
>That spoiler.
>>54653248
>>54653288
>I wanted to know.
I don't know. It confused me too, and I didn't care to read it enough to work it out.
>>
>>54653702
You have to make the contract blather on incessantly with frivolous, ludicrous, adjectives; absolutely absurd euphemisms and metaphors that, despite their sonority, are entirely vacant and purportless; and, overall, extraneous, magniloquent, bombastic language so high flown as to be offensive to the senses.
>>
>>54653429
Have the giants fight a real purple worm
>>
>>54655230

See >>54653858
>>
>>54650943
Have a creepy doll as an Arcane focus
>>
>>54652891
>bladesinger cleric

...you mean a paladin?
Thread posts: 338
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.