[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 349
Thread images: 33

File: 1492561011780.png (317KB, 602x522px) Image search: [Google]
1492561011780.png
317KB, 602x522px
Previous thread: >>53293636
>Pastebin:
https://pastebin.com/7HiVphFm
>News
http://theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-april-2017/
https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
http://theonyxpath.com/a-purr-fect-start-for-monarchies-of-mau-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
Have you ever made new organisations in your game? (Any Sects,tribes,Covenants etc...)
>5th editons cliffnotes
https://pastebin.com/cp0r59da
>>
File: endme.png (1MB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
endme.png
1MB, 1440x810px
Durrrrrr, i linked the wrong thread.
>>53424429
>>
>>53435588
I wasn't disagreeing in case that was clear. I'm just pointing out people don't believe things for no reason. They have a reason, even if its twisted and wrong.
>>
>>53436257
I made an Australian Hunter group about dealing with the country's endemic Spirit problem.
>>
>>53436786
Does it also involve policing abbos for their rampant child rape?
>>
So when are we going to get Changeling the Lost 2e?
>>
>>53436829
Never, everything good Hill did is probably tossed putting the book in development hell forever.
>>
>>53436848
Are you fucking kidding me? What happened?
>>
>>53436860
Before Hill quit they had other developers working on the same parts and didn't tell him because OPP is a mess. They then insisted the book wasn't done to basically gyp Hill out of some money during his departure.
>>
>>53436887
...That doesn't make sense. So what parts was he writing? Who was working on those parts too?
>>
>>53436907
I've heard Hill had submitted a completed manuscript. Whoever the head dev now was working on it. Rose maybe? At any rate I heard she liked the awful sections even Hill didn't (like pledges). And no, it doesn't make any sense. OPP is not managed well and never has been. Why the fuck do you think it takes so long for books to come out and more than 4 years to fulfill kickstarters?
>>
>>53436930
Now I really wanna see that manuscript...
>>
>>53436939
For what its worth the 2e playtest material and its various drafts as well as the submitted chapters for char gen, contracts, and stuff like that are collected here. Its enough to actually play, but who knows what will survive what equates to what appears to be a Beast-tier or worse rewrite.
http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/changeling-the-lost/676949-collected-second-edition-open-development-blogs
>>
>>53436823
>Implying Abbos aren't a unique type of Petrol spirit host.
>>
>>53436967
Oh god Beast was a disaster.
>>
How's the quality of the physical copy of the Mage the Awakening 2e book?

Is it one of those hardcovers that starts to fall apart under it's own page count?
>>
File: Sherlock.jpg (75KB, 976x549px) Image search: [Google]
Sherlock.jpg
75KB, 976x549px
So I'm reading the Mage 2e core book now and I'm trying to get a handle on how social interaction with Mages unfold.

I'm guessing it's a lot like an episode of Sherlock where the sight gives them so much insight it seems like omniscience.

What would Sherlock's stats be? Moriarty's?
>>
What's the best way to play a Constantine type Hunter the Vigil?

Also, what is the best endowment? Has the most powerful options/most versatile?
>>
>>53437234
I mean... you just talk to the other person. Just because you CAN do everything with magic doesn't mean you SHOULD.
>>
>>53437245
I want my kid to be a doctor
>baww why won't society recognize the scourge of doctor-ism?
>>
>>53437252
An ex Malleus Maleficarum who turned into a jaded maverick
>>
File: OK_thumb.jpg (30KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
OK_thumb.jpg
30KB, 600x600px
>>53437134
"This one guy with clear right leanings said this and here's one random isolated incident regarding a transgender person, so clearly this proves that homosexuality is an epidemic on society and that my statistical claims I pulled out of my ass are 100% accurate."

Just return to your containment board Anon.
>>
>>53437377
It becomes significant because the left speaks with wide strokes and says it 'never' happens. Which makes their entire platform wrong on a fundamental level.
>>
Nobody cares about geist
>>
>>53437359
What is the smitiest power? I really want to burn folks with God's light.>>53437377
>>
>>53437393
We weren't talking about "the left", we were talking about the claims you made in your post. But this is going nowhere and just derailing the thread, so I'm just gonna move on.

>>53437435
Their loss. It's one of the most interesting CofD gamelines if you ask me.
>>
File: 1479596159354.png (508KB, 753x581px) Image search: [Google]
1479596159354.png
508KB, 753x581px
>>53437377
>>53437377
>one guy
>isolated

The spokesperson for modern gay youth explaining how he was raped into existence by a paedo and you're pushing aside a rape victim because it doesn't fit your narrative.
>>
>>53437435
No body cares. Bringing it up here won't make anyone care more.
>>
Speaking of the underworld. Are there ghosts of animals? I'm thinking of an arc where my characters find the proverbial farm in the country where the ghosts of dead pets migrate to.
>>
>>53437480
Please disregard the link/quote at the end, acciendentally taped it while going capcha
>>
File: rage.gif (2MB, 528x292px) Image search: [Google]
rage.gif
2MB, 528x292px
>it's a 'GM sends a fucking mob of people that have 9's in guns against my mortal hunter character that doesn't have any form of fucking ranged defense and I take 11 damage in one shot' episode

I'm sure this is because a fucking dumb nigger decided they just HAD to fucking play a cocksucking, inbred, faggoty ass bitch boy vampire in our hunter group and they only way the dumbass GM can even pretend there's a challenge for him is by having bigger guns and bigger dice pools, while my original 'tough guy' character just spends more time in the fucking ER than in the fucking field now.

FUCK vampires, fuck vampire players, and fuck defense only working in melee baseline. Goddamn right, I'm not just mad, I'm furious that what was once investigation and research has turned into 'how many ways can I suck the vamp player's dick'?
>>
>>53437562
Kill the parasite anon
>>
>>53437562
>>53437582

What this guy said, the GM is testing you

Kill the lick
>>
>>53437582
>>53437624

I'm not even this mad usually, is what pisses me off worse. I normally just roll with the punches, but this felt like the straw that broke the Goddamn camel's back. It's like, why do I even bother attempting to do roleplay as a tough guy when the vamp does literally EVERYTHING i want to do better? I could reroll as a fucking faggot that just hangs out at the library and tells them what they're weak to, I guess, but that's not what I signed up for or wanted to play in the first place. I wanted to play Coach from Left 4 Dead and hit werewolves and zombies with a machete while making the occasional smart comment when we research and find out weaknesses and shit. I don't think that's too Goddamn much to ask, ya know?
>>
>>53437562
Well first of all Hunters and Vampires working together is dumb.
Second of all there are better ways for the enemy to go anti-vampire without being overpowered and your storyteller is an asshole.
Keep them at average skill and give them dragonfire rounds, throw enemies who are not only supernatural but hate vampires, giving the enemies bigger guns because one player resists gunfire is retarded.
>>
>>53437659

Fuck that, you need to go full Tremere, steal the gift, cut out a competitor and take the reigns for yourself.

How's your Occult?
>>
>>53437678
5. But 1 int because I wanted to play the guy that is dumb usually, but then occasionally shits out pure gold on weaknesses.
>>
>>53437659
>>53437562

If you ever have a "vampire problem" in any of your chronicles, throw in a Obrimos or Moros Adamantine Arrow mage adept who likes to hunt or "study" the undead. The vampires will not at all be happy for the remainder of their very short and painful unlives, but it's oh so cathartic.

Never tolerate uppity vampires with delusions of grandeur.

>Kindred are only good for kindling.
>>
I'm working on some homebrew and have a question here about language. Namely if certain names are already taken.
Does any splat/entity have powers that are called 'Assumptions'?
Is there already a splat/group of entities called Saints?
>>
File: lewd blood.jpg (133KB, 734x544px) Image search: [Google]
lewd blood.jpg
133KB, 734x544px
Is WoD or CofD better for adapting Bloodborne to pnp?
I was thinking of trying to do it myself because I've only seen discussions on it and no actual results. Obviously the mechanics aren't a major thing, I was just going to adapt the lore behind Bloodborne into WoD or CofD fluff and it's more about setting theme and roleplay than mechanics.
Theme is similar to Beast and Vampire I suppose, personal horror, Human Hunters who infuse their body with Monstrous/Eldritch Blood in order to better fight the monsters of the night.
Mechanics wise I was thinking Beasthood as a supernatural advantage stat like Blood Potency or Lair etc, and Insight being something like an inverse morality where Lower Insight is safer and more human, but higher Insight grants certain advantages that leave you prone to suffering an Frenzy Aneurysm that deals a certain amount of Aggravated damage based on your Insight and what caused the Frenzy Aneurysm.
Any thoughts and if I actually went to the effort to make this like some people did with Genius and Princess would there be interest or should I just keep it to my group?
>>
>>53437562
Punch him. Square in the face.
>>
File: screams externally3.png (97KB, 505x382px) Image search: [Google]
screams externally3.png
97KB, 505x382px
>>53437825
It was close to becoming that. After that nigger shit, I said I had to take a call. I left the room, took a moment to cool down, then told him something came up and I left early. Looking back on my post I realize I was mad and still am angry as hell, but at least leaving gave me a chance to not break a glass over his retard skull.
>>
>>53437868
Wait. Was this nWod or oWoD >
>>
>>53438058
nu-WoD
>>
>>53437562
Could have been worse.

Imagine if it was a mage instead of a vampire?
>>
>>53437562
Your Cell is infected.
Time to burn away the dead tissue.
>>
In terms of white-room combat which splats are best?

I'm talking about quick and gritty combat here.

Bonus: which is best at 'buffing' teammates when things get hectic?
>>
>>53438260

Can we disqualify Mages?
>>
>>53438299
Sure
>>
>>53438260
Demons.
Nothing compares to a Demon that's willing to spend a Burner.
>>
>>53436257
Well after yesterdays thread talk I'm working on conspiracy-cult-megacorp for my vampire/werewolf game. Right now trying to compile various light/fire based powers(ndowments, numina, supernatural merits) that could be handed out to cult members, corporate soldiers.
>>
>>53438260
1. Prepared Mage
2. Loud Demon
3. Fresh Mummy
4. Boneyard Sin-Eater

Mage wins for buffing as well.
They're hands down the best support in WoD
>>
>>53438398
Well that is true for your average guardian or destroyer but demon that didn't know how to fight before won't be much of a fighter even after going loud. Thou he will still have a lot of ways to fuck with people and get away
>>
>>53438260
>In terms of white-room combat which splats are best?
mage

>I'm talking about quick and gritty combat here.
still mage

>Bonus: which is best at 'buffing' teammates when things get hectic?
mage again
>>
Anyone have any advice for running 1 on 1 campagins?
I recently moved to Yurop from America with my gf, and while I've got a few local friends, none are the type that'd be into this shit. Further, my understanding of the language isn't good enough to simply go to our LGS and join a group. I was thinking of just running V20 with just her, but it seems to me like it'd be an awkward experience. Anyone done something like this before?
>>
Any advice on playing Doctor characters when you have no medical training?

Playing a fresh vamp, start of the campaign is gonna be the start of his immortal life. Also any tips for some good lines for me to use would be nice. Thinking of having him refer his sire to a psychologist.

Char is a nerd who runs his local book club out of his struggling pharmacy.
>>
>>53438581
Hmm I sometimes run 1-on-1 with my players when I want to present events that rest of the group shouldn't know about. No experience thou with running whole game like that.

I recon you guys have experience in rpg prior to v20?
>>
>>53438598

Yeah I've done that as well - I've run shadowrun in my day, you have a 1v1 section at least once per fucking run - but it's running a whole game that just seems weird to me. Yeah, we've both got experience playing V20 - she's got experience running it specifically, but I'm fairly confident I can run WoD after Shadowrun.
>>
>>53438618
I don't think you should be worried too much. Session or two will probably be awkward but IMHO running for one person that you know well is probably more comfortable then normal game group
>>
>>53438587
What do you mean by 'doctor'?
>>
>>53438665
Should have been a bit more specific. Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences. Not sure if that gives you the MD part, but you certainly get the "Doctor" prefix.
>>
>>53438671
IMHO I would read a bit about drugs that can come up in game and some basic chemistry just to be comfortable with stuff your character knows. If you are really into that you can make some notes.

No one will require of you superspecific knowledge during the game.
>>
>>53438693
Good advice, thanks. Don't suppose you have any good lines for me to steal?
>>
>>53438671
Well from a game mechanics perspective Supernatural splats don't have much need for real world medicine. It's more of convenience than a necessity.

As for real world 'medicine' I'm nearly a M2 (which is a polite way to say useless). So trust me on this, accurate basic and clinical science will be boring to most people outside of the profession. It's a game don't stress the 'boring' stuff.
>>
>>53438743
No idea. Sorry mate.

Thou you can always watch some House, stare down werewolf and tell him
>It's not lupus
>>
>>53438744
Good to hear, sort of. Any good doctor jokes I could fit in?

If the GM has us wake up away from our sires I was thinking of having him misdiagnose himself. Would be a bit odd, but still.
>>
>>53438771
Will have to try that. Maybe stare down another vampire instead.
>>
>>53438783
Probably should have requested this earlier with my original question. Anyone got good 30-something modern character art? Maybe with some early graying hair.
>>
>>53438783
If it's vampire you need to offer him something for blood pressure or sunburn
>>
>>53438587

I'd imagine that any doctor - or any scientifically-minded individual - would probably be most interest in finding out the causes of vampirism. I think he'd treat most of the "lore" of V:tM as sort of a joke, and believe that there HAS to be some kind of explanation for what he's seeing that doesn't rely on the literal reading of the Caine story from the Bible.
>>
>>53438777
One that I'm partial to is

"What's the difference between a VA nurse and a bullet?"

A bullet can draw blood, will only kill one person, and can be fired.
>>
>>53438815
I'm in med school. I stopped caring about how and why after the first exam. Now I'm just trying to survive.
>>
>>53438847
>med school turns you into a vampire

This might be true in terms of worldview
>>
>>53438847

You know, I had written that I could also see it going the other way - faced with the supernatural, they could also just throw their hands up and accept what they're faced with, but I didn't feel like typing all of it.
>>
>>53438777
How can you tell who's an oncologist at a funeral?
He's doing chest compressions.

An oncologist is busy digging up a grave one night trying to hang another bag of chemo. He finally get's to the coffin and prys it open with a crowbar only to see a note that reads "gone for dialysis."

What's the difference between an anesthesiologist and a urologist?
During surgery a urologist plays with someone else's dick.

What's the difference between god and a surgeon?
God doesn't think he's a surgeon.

What's the most common obstetrical procedure?
Severe left ureter.
What's the second most common?
Severe right ureter
>>
File: Bishop_Bishop.png (79KB, 699x479px) Image search: [Google]
Bishop_Bishop.png
79KB, 699x479px
So I'm trying to design a Sabbat controlled city for a VtM game, and I want the city to be led by a council of Bishops instead of a single Archbishop.

The only problem is I'm having trouble deciding what it is each of these Bishops are exactly in charge of. I already have one of them who is essentially a 'Spiritual Leader' who makes sure the Pack Priests are doing their job, but I don't know what other special responsibilities the other Bishops should have. Anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>53439727
Think of cabinet positions - secretary of defense and of state, for example. One of the bishops could be in charge of "military planning," or violent anti-Camarilla activity, one could be in charge of relations with other Sabbat either in other cities or reporting back to Mexico City, another could just be a Nosferatu who's in charge of intelligence (other bishops resent this guy, claiming he's just strong-armed his way onto the council by way of being a Nosferatu himself); 5th could be a tiebreaker/figurehead sort like the president in a parliamentary system. You could also add a sort of propagandist, or someone who'd be in charge of nonviolent anti-Camarilla activity, or you could tie that into the Nossie's position.
>>
>>53439847
The idea of an Intelligence/Spymaster figure does sound like it could make for a fun character and I guess it would make perfect sense for one of the Bishops to be a General/Secretary of Defense figure.

Thanks for the input!
>>
Anyone have any nice Acamoth/Gulmoth ideas they've used before?

I've been thinking of an Acamoth that feeds off the concept of enjoying fear. So basically it infects the Astral realms of horror-related media products, and tries to reach down into the Oneiros of Sleepers who view it and taint them.

Or would that work better as a Gulmoth?
I just don't like the thought of simply being able to blast and destroy all of the physical representations of the Abyssal influence to destroy it.

Instead, to defeat it you've ultimately got to wade into a fairly nasty section of the Astral, which is made even nastier as it's probably tainted that part pretty thoroughly into an Abyssal hellscape.
>>
Do people here mostly prefer old or new WoD?
After a quick look at some nWoD stuff I'm not sure if I'm liking what I'm seeing
>>
>>53442222
In all the groups I'm part of, I see more love of oWoD in everything except Mage, where nWoD is preferred. This general seems to love talking about oWoD Mage though.
>>
>>53436848
>Never, everything good Hill did is probably tossed putting the book in development hell forever.

>David Hill
>Anything good.

Oh anon, you so silly.
>>
>>53442361
So everyone just likes oWoD better, then?
>>
>>53442222
I'm an oWoDfag and have been one for years. I think this general is mostly interested in nWoD though, or at least it was for a long period of time - I've only gotten back here since V5/noWoD shit got announced.
>>
>>53437252
If you want to use magic in Hunter, check out the gifted merit in the book Witch Finders. Lets you use the same kind of magic the witch enemies use, granted yours can hurt you if you cast stronger spells.

Best endowment? That's a toss up. Benedictions get you some powerful stuff, but so do say Advanced Armory weapons. I haven't played with all the compacts so no clue how to help you there.
>>
Is Dark Alliance: Vancouver any good?
>>
>>53442830
The new kith powers for far more flavorful and actually did things, more so than any kith 1e could hope for.
>>
>>53443260
The general tends to favor nwod. There are some graybeards who're still into cwod.
>>
>>53443260
oWoD all the way, especially Mage. Awakening just feels so bland compared to Ascension.
>>
>>53442222
I definitely prefer oWoD. There are only a few nWoD/CofD games that interest me if we're not counting fangames like Princess, Genius, and the like and there are multiple nWoD games that I just outright hate such as Requiem and Beast.
>>
>>53444852
>Beast
We all hate beast. Its really what brings everyone together.
>>
>>53442222

I'm an oWoDer, although I don't really play the lore is fascinating. M:tAs is amazing mind-thriller that simultaneously blends wacky gadgeteering geniuses like Iron Man in with crazy wizards like Gandalf in a way that makes sense.

The Masquerade is the quintessential oWoD book to the point it spawned Bloodlines, which is an entry point for many people into oWoD lore.

Then there's Werewolf, which I think gets a bad rap but is just as interesting if a little less approachable as the others. Gaia is getting polluted by Pentex, an agent of the Wyrm (the great destructive force hell-bent on cleaning up everything, especially Earth). The Garou are here to fight the Wyrm, but made the mistake of killing off most of the other Fera meant to help them win the war.

So you're screwed, the Wyrm is winning, and your only option is to keep fighting the good, wolfy, fight. Captain Planet's a gigantic wolf gnawing the face off a pollution demon.

I think of the three big oWoD books Werewolf suffers the most lorewise and needs a reboot, but Forsaken changes too much. Mage and Vampire both have apocalypses that are existential - Consensus and the Masquerade - Thinbloods and Quiet - Werewolf just has the Wyrm and Metis, which aren't nearly as bad or everpresent.
>>
File: SuicidalFeels.jpg (78KB, 720x657px) Image search: [Google]
SuicidalFeels.jpg
78KB, 720x657px
Ok now, who did this?
>>
Did Rio or the new Dark Eras book ever get posted?
>>
>>53444924
I like some parts of Beast, but I would be lying if I said it's tone is not immensely edgy and pretentious.
>>
>>53444672

I admit to borrowing from ascension liberally in awakening games - an ST who said "no" to such borrowing would probably kill a lot of my interest in NMage. But i generally like both gamelines.
>>
>>53445473

Rio did.

What Dark Eras book are you talking about? I know Dark Ages Companion was posted though.
>>
>>53442222
I'm pretty big on oWoD though I admit I have yet to play or run any nWoD games. I think I would personally enjoy Hunter the Vigil the most out of any other nWoD games.
>>
>obligatory mage supremacy post
>>
Alright /wodg/ I'm planning on running an 80s era cyberpunk D:tD game. How terrible of an idea is this, and what should I be aware of to make this campaign not suck?
>>
>>53448135
This thread has some advice:

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/demon-the-descent/1074062-gming-demon-what-not-to-do
>>
>>53438260
Mages are the obvious best pick for white room combatants.

Even when surprised/ambushed they can improvise phenomenally.
>>
>>53442222

oWoD by a wide margin for me.

I just find the setting more fun and interesting.
>>
Would y'all OWOD fans like to play OWOD games but with COD mechanics (and maybe porting over some setting elements from COD that you like)? Do the Translations Guides do that well enough?
>>
>>53448641
Thread, I am bored! Give me suggestions for monsters I can create using the Horror system from COD. I'll deliver as soon as possible if I like your suggestions.
>>
>>53442222
oWoD

>>53443260
oWoD was lightning in a bottle while nWoD exists primarily because WW Management misread the RPG market.
>>
STs, do you make quests or stuff like that for your games?
>>
>>53448694
Do the xenomorph,please.
>>
>>53448914
Mages! I need you to collect 3 bear butts for me, on the double!
>>
>>53443260
I prefer nWoD (CofD) but I largely used the system with some heavy shifts in tone away from horror.
>>
>>53449000
...Why?
Why would you need three bear butts?
>>
>>53448694

Something that leaves writing everywhere it goes. If you read the writing, you're it's next target.
>>
>>53448990
Actually, an excellent homebrewer beat me to it.

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/793173-the-horror-show?p=1085446#post1085446

Any other ideas?
>>
>>53449044
Coming right up!
>>
>>53449000
But not all bears have butts.

Because RPG logic says so.
>>
>>53449119
Sometimes when you kill a bear you damage the butt, and the quest giver only accepts pristine bear butts. You should really start worrying when the bear drops TWO butts.
>>
Rio and Dark Ages Companion posted here yet?
>>
>>53444086
Yeah but how does Gifted even work? Do I have to buy each spell as a separate merit, or do I get access to the list for free?
>>
>>53449041
He wants to put his facei n them like the longest drag off the best cigarette beforeh e sees them lying in their own smear.
>>
Did atamajakki die or something?
>>
>>53449351

She's not interested in WoD/CofD stuff as much anymore. No point in posting in a general for something if your interest for the subject wanes.
>>
>>53449380
... atamjakki was a chick?
>>
>>53449394

atamajakki was atamajakki
>>
>>53449394
A tranny, she left because of the whole Zak.S affair.
>>
>>53449044
Pass It Along

The Horror known as Pass It Along is more of self aware phenomenon than a being. As such, it cannot be destroyed as if it was a corporeal entity. Instead, it behaves like an idea that spreads itself while twisting people’s perceptions. The only way to free oneself from the infection is to participate in the game and infect another.

Pass It Along currently takes the guise of a very complex game spread throughout several sites on the Internet. Once they attempt to beat the game, they will find it impossible due to it being deliberately misleading. The game over screen prompts the user to seek out other people to play the game and see who among their friends is smart enough to beat it.

In reality, Pass It Along infects the minds of those who interact with the game’s interface, altering their behavior based on how they play. It affects many people at a time, apparently with the intent of bringing them together in the real world. The results vary from amusing flash mobs to furious protests and weirder things still. Those infected are compelled to repeat and expand upon these behaviors in increasingly complex and taxing ways, until they can tell others about the game, at which point the compulsion ceases.

Best At: Convincing People To Play Its Game, Spreading Its Infection, Controlling Groups (10 Dice)
Worst At: Slowing Down, Controlling Individual Rebellion (2 Dice)
All Other Pools: 5
Aspirations: Infect Minds, Start Weird And Mysterious Social Phenomena
Willpower/Scene: 9
Initiative: 10
Defense: N/A
Speed: N/A
Size: N/A
Dread Powers: Eye Spy (Digital Cameras), Influence (Computers 3, Groupthink 5), Hypnotic Gaze, Numen (Aggressive Meme, Hallucination, Implant Mission, Implant Delusion, Sign), Know Soul
>>
>>53449351
I still see that name around the scion forums a lot so my guess is no.
>>
>>53449939
Well she was a big mummy fan right? And the Egyptian pantheon seems her favorite over there so that makes sense at least.
>>
>>53437504
Iirc, they don't, they have spirits. But fuck the rules, ghost pets are awesome
>>
>>53437435
I fucking love Geist. I'm considering STing it in the near future. Maybe set in New Orleans or Portland. Give it a Scooby Doo meets The Odyssey vibe.

The core book is difficult to parse so I think I'll simplify the system. Just 3 attributes, build a one-roll combat system, etc. Dice pools will be reserved for ghost powers
>>
Splats we care about
>Vampire
>Werewolf
>Mage
>Changeling

Splats we could give less of a shit over
>Geist
>Mummy
>Demon
>Promethean

Abominations
>Beast
>Hunter
>>
>>53450387
Vampire and Hunter are in the wrong places.
>>
File: Heresy.png (493KB, 610x431px) Image search: [Google]
Heresy.png
493KB, 610x431px
>>53450387
>Hunter being anything but top tier.
>Anon being a filthy heretic that puts Hunter at the level of beast
>>
>>53450387
REEEEEEEEEEE

DELETE NOW
>>
>>53450387
Jokes on you, I don't care about any of them. I'm only sticking around here until scion comes out so I can jump ship and get my modern fantasy fix over there.
>>
>>53450571
Do you really trust them to not ruin Scion though?
>>
File: folklore_conceptart_t4lfd.jpg (70KB, 354x500px) Image search: [Google]
folklore_conceptart_t4lfd.jpg
70KB, 354x500px
Does anyone here play Dark Ages: Fae? Out of curiosity, I was wondering if Oaths can be forged with other supernatural races. In particular, I'm wondering about the "human" ones such as Mages, Inquisitors, Kinfolk, etc.
>>
>>53450387
Splats we care about
>Hunter
>Demon
>Mage
>Changeling

Okay splats
>Werewolf
>Vampire

Splats we could give less of a shit over
>Geist
>Mummy
>Promethean

Abominations
>Beast

ftfy
>>
>>53450611

>implying there was anything of Scion 1e to ruin
>>
>>53450681
>Implying OPP won't try it anyway
>>
>>53450680
Changeling 2e just needs to come out sooner.
>>
>>53450680
Vampire is just an okay splat but everyone cares about it. It's not a hard thing to admit.
>>
>>53450775
lol
>>
>>53450775
That's just asking for changeling to get dropped to beast tier
>>
>>53450680
Few care about Demon. Where would Wraith go?
>>
Scion is gonna be so fucking horrible. The worse combinations of Beast, SJW bullshit, & autism passed through a quick money grab of American Gods.

Loki is gonna be really really fucked the fuck up

Western religions are gonna be bare bones & wonky towards SJW stuff like always. Expect to see lots of cucking (Vulcan)

Middle Eastern/Eastern religions are going to be the best mechanically & be the most covered in fluff.

American Native religions won't be accurate at all.

Probably no Abrahamic religion to get touched on or done well.

& one "Modern" religion that tries to be cute but just looks like autism
>>
Has anyone come into Changeling as their *first* WoD game? Or even one of their first? Seems like something you'd check out as an enthusiast at some point (then discover that it's actually good), but getting people to take an interest in fae out of the blue is such an uphill battle for some reason.
>>
>>53450611
Based on the previews thus far yes. They all look pretty tight, and the scaling isn't getting to a fucking dodge DV of 100+ anymore.
>>
>>53451021
>Loki is gonna be really really fucked the fuck up
He either fucked a horse or let himself get fucked by a horse in mythology. You really honestly think they can make him any weirder?
>Western religions are gonna be bare bones & wonky towards SJW stuff like always. Expect to see lots of cucking (Vulcan)
We have previews of 5 of the pantheons so far, and they're all basically the same. Once again, they can't really do anything about the source material.
>Middle Eastern/Eastern religions are going to be the best mechanically & be the most covered in fluff.
Thus far the only difference between them all is pantheon specific purviews. All of those have 2 whole boons, which you can't really get a lot of imbalance from.
Irish starting characters can place magically enforced oaths on literally anyone, draining all their legend if they disobey.
>American Native religions won't be accurate at all.
[citation needed]
>Probably no Abrahamic religion to get touched on or done well.
>Game about playing offspring of polytheistic religions
>One True God stuff not getting touched too much
Really makes me think
>& one "Modern" religion that tries to be cute but just looks like autism
I have literally no idea what you're talking about
>>
Do any of you LARP?
Every LARP group I know of is either an all-weekend camping trip in the woods to beat each other up in some other game, OR a WoD game line done in an afternoon in a city place. What's good about WoD for LARP? Given I only have one day off a week, it seems like my best bet.
>>
>>53451161
Nephilim, Abrahamic faiths have demigod types to you know. Goliath was supposedly decended from them/was one

Modern gods like "Google" the Oracle or the Internet, a nuclear God of War sitting on a throne of AKS kind of thing
>>
>>53451274
I LARP. I enjoy WoD LARP because I get to...
1. Indulge in my acting side
2. Play WoD
3. Hang out with my friends.

We usually play about a 6 hour session two Saturdays a month. Feel free to ask me questions. I run Masquerade right now, Apocalypse is up next after Masquerade ends in the fall (I won't be running, thankfully), but I've played Requiem, Forsaken, Awakening and Lost as LARPs as well
>>
>>53451052
You've got to dispel the automatic assumption that the game will be about sipping nectar from dandelions, breaking down into tears over a butterfly, and prancing about in forests singing naked.

For people unaccustomed to Changeling, talk about the horror, that's the quickest way to dispel their automatic "fairy" assumptions.
>>
>>53450298
If animals can show up in the Astral they can show up in the underworld IMO.
>>
>>53451359
>Nephilim, Abrahamic faiths have demigod types to you know. Goliath was supposedly decended from them/was one
Okay? The game isn't trying to be about every single story of someone with divine blood. They pick and choose what religions to include and which not to.
>Modern gods like "Google" the Oracle or the Internet, a nuclear God of War sitting on a throne of AKS kind of thing
I still don't understand what you mean. Those aren't gods, and they certainly aren't anything thats ever been in a scion book.
>>
File: Amazing.png (1MB, 1321x783px) Image search: [Google]
Amazing.png
1MB, 1321x783px
>>53437562
>remembering that storytime about the guy whose DM turned his mortal hunter into a Solar

So much butthurt from vampires.
>>
>>53451052
Tell them to watch Lost Girl and Grimm for inspiration.
>>
>>53451434
>Those aren't gods, and they certainly aren't anything thats ever been in a scion book.

To be totally fair, one of Scion's major influences is American Gods, and one of the big parts of that story is the rise of the "New Gods" who are basically like that anon describes. The goddess of media looks like Lucy from I Love Lucy.
>>
>>53451469
Eh? I don't remember any 'rise of new gods' in any Scion stuff. There was the American pantheon, which was about the closest thing to what you're describing. Otherwise it was the Heroes Journey of shit like Hercules, Beowulf, etc. in the modern world where the pantheons still existed.'
>>
>>53451469
Sure, but I still don't see any reason to assume thats going to somehow make them a thing in the game. Not when they were never a thing in 1e and not when the devs have made literally no mention of them.
>>
>>53449089
The Thing, Predator, graboids from Tremors, Zaat, those weird dudes from the descent.
>>
>>53451021
>a quick money grab of American Gods.

I first got involved with Scion Second Edition five years ago.

Five. Years.

A good book coincidentally getting a TV adaptation while it's nearly finally finished has nothing to do with it.
>>
>>53451517
Hey thar komodolord. How's the haps?
>>
>>53451366
Do you play in the By Night Studios ruleset for VtM? That's one I'm looking at. Apparently the national storyline is resetting for the big interconnected group so I'll get to start out while everyone else is starting out too.

I'm not super familiar with even VtM though, so do you have general tips and recommendations for a new player? Clan, generation, things to watch out for, things not to do in terms of getting along with people, etc?
>>
>>53451517
How've you been senpai? We've missed you.
>>
>>53437562
>Shit dm detected
>fire the great equalizer
>not using UV guns to fuck with shit

You're GM is unattractive noncreative faggot and sucking off the the vampire under the table
>>
>>53451021
Aren't all abrahamic religions middle eastern?
>>
>>53451559
The game I run uses the new By Night rules, but we're an independent troupe LARP, so we're not part of the larger organizations, so I can't comment to the specifics of their setting.

As far as tips? Hrm. Well, Toreador are fun... they get social/mental/physical Discipline spread that's useful, can do a lot of stuff and are a strong political play clan if that's your thing. Don't play an Ancilla, the XP costs for a Neonate are better, and from friends that I have in the MES a lot of the 'social stigma' of playing a Neonate isn't really a stigma, just based on 'yeah, this guy is my buddy OOC'.. If you're after more blood per turn, take the Intense Vitality Merit. Read the book. Know your stuff so that you're not the guy flailing around with the rulebook during combat.

Overall, think of it as an interactive improv theatre experience and you'll have fun. I've been doing Vampire LARP in various forms (including MES Requiem years ago) since 2004, I've met some of my best friends via LARPing, they're my chosen family.
>>
>>53451631

Question: how do wolflarpers represent warform?
>>
>>53450681
Hey 1e wasn't all bad. There was the amazons in the hero book, who explicitly would try and kidnap Legend infused males to breed stronger amazons with. Those were nice.
>>
>>53451644
Depends on the setting. Generally there are hand symbols used for anything not easily costumable. For example, Obfuscate as a hand up across your chest, fingers up to show how many levels. For Crinos form in the Apocalypse version, raised hands in claw shape even with your head represent that, though the ST for the upcoming Apocalypse LARP has talked about using printed clips onto the nametags showing what form people are in if it's not Homid. I've seen some games where people have costumed parts of it, but never like... full fursuits and junk, just stuff that'd be more appropriate as Glabro representation. Werewolf's definitely one of the ones that uses the 'Minds Eye' angle of the MET name.
I
>>
>>53451021
>>53451161
I'd actually be really interested in playing the son of EL, King of the Gods, father of YWHW, also known as Baal Haamon, god of bulls, husband of Asherah, eater of first-born children, who sent his first born male-son Yeshua down to earth to be sacrificed to himself in a holy Mulk-Baal sacrifice on the cross. Who made a convenant with one nation above all others, the nation of Jews, that they should reside in the promised land.
>>
>>53451722
Problem is it literally complete fucks over every bit of the lore. You can't have omnipotent omniscient omnipresent God in scion and still have the setting make sense. Let alone you're basically making every single other god second class citizens which no one is going to be happy with.
>>
>>53451701
When's the last time you saw somebody pull a Teagarden?
>>
>>53451763
El isn't necessarily omnipotent or omniscient.

For example, according to the Pheonicians, El is the son of Sky and Earth or themselves the children of Elyon (most high). El is brother to Bethel, Dagon and the goddesses Ashtart, Asherah and Dione. He is also father of Persephone and Athena.
>>
>>53451849
I don't get the reference.
>>
>>53451884
In that case putting that in pisses off all the Christians because you're representing God as something pagan and only on par with the deities of other religions.
They very well might get something approximating that sometime, but it's going to be after a while because they have to be very careful about it to not step on anyones toes.
>>
>>53451929
eh, I guess it's been long enough that it's no longer that current. Round about 2007-ish there was some dude in the WoD LARP community by that name who was known for having a particularly Marty Stu-ish vampire character and an IRL short fuse. Apparently the last time he was in a LARP, his Marty Stu got killed, and he flipped out and actually assaulted somebody. And for a while it was a minor meme to refer to that sort of thing as "pulling a Teagarden".
>>
>>53452034
Onyx Path Publishing have done fairly controversial and edgy stuff before.
>>
>>53452041
Ahh. Never, then. Everyone is pretty chill in our game. We're mostly late 20s to mid 30s people a couple of younger, a couple of older, mostly married couples, a few dating, a few singles. It's just... a group of friends, who like to play dress up and roleplay as vampires a couple of times a month.
>>
>>53452080
Sure back in the 90's. Now days doing anything that out there gets you crucified in media, and a company OPP's size really can't afford that.
>>
>>53451884
>>53451722
>>53451669
>>53451612
>>53451517
>>53451496
>>53451487
>>53451469
>>53451434
>>53451359
>>53451161
>>53451075
>>53451021
>>53450681
>>53450712
>>53450611
>>53450571
>>53452228

Scion discussion belongs in the Exalted thread. This thread is for edgelords to shitpost about Mage power levels, bitch about Swedracula, and line up to suck komodo dick whenever DaveB posts something.
>>
Building a Legend is out. I wonder if it will make Beast playable.
>>
>>53452228

If they could survive a crazy asshole who lived in my hometown thinking he was a vampire and killing people, they can deal with evangelicals, who everyone else hates, being retards.
>>
>>53452253
>Scion discussion belongs in the Exalted thread.
According to the divine decree of who exactly?
>>
>>53452257
What is it, a players guide?
>>
>>53452281
Rod Ferrell?
>>
>>53451517
By no means am I saying that the new edition of Scion in & of itself is a cash grab of the book, I am saying that they will definitely try to make a cash grab or at minimum make a wink to it now that it is in the mainstream.
>>53451612
Sumarian/Mesopotamian etc

>>53451722
This is cool with me

>>53451763
Odin says hi
Amun-Ra too, depending

Also, I'm not saying the Christian God is getting it on, I'm saying angels are, like the Gregori fathering the Nephilim

>>53452034
See>>53452080
OPP doesn't care about angering christians

Unrelated to above, I'd like to see Mithrias kicking it with the Romans
>>
>>53436257
have some spooky shit /tg/

>>>/g/60576506
>>
>>53452444
>Odin says hi
Norse myth sure likes to rag on about how odin is totally fucked and going to die for you to be implying he's anything approaching omnipotent.
>Also, I'm not saying the Christian God is getting it on, I'm saying angels are, like the Gregori fathering the Nephilim
Yeah I know, that doesn't really change anything. Like I said, they get to pick and chose what is and isn't real in their setting, they have no reason to include those guys if they don't want. Or hell they could bring back the angels who serve that titan of light and say that they can get titanspawn scions or something.
>OPP doesn't care about angering christians
Apparently they do, if the multiple dev quotes about how they're timid to try and include any Abrahamic faiths are anything to go off. Or, if not scared, at least they don't want to be insensitive about it even if it won't affect sales that much.
>>
>>53452544
>they're timid to try and include any Abrahamic faiths
It's Muslims they're worried about
>>
I picked up a second edition copy Changeling: The Dreaming at half-price books the other day, what am I in for?

Also, how is this edition regarded in comparison to the other versions?
>>
>>53452609
Fucking muslims.
>>
>>53452696
There's some mechanical foibles but overall it's servicable. C20 is much better, as it's an updated version that uses what they planned to do in Revised Edition, since oWoD was cancelled before CtD got Revised.
>>
Someone mentioned that we should collect all of DaveB's illuminating comments.

So here's a few I've taken from Onyx Path, and our mongolian street-yodelling soundboard.
>>
>>53452354

No, Caleb Fairley. Didn't realize there was another guy.
>>
>>53437562
What you deserve for doing a crossover game
>>
>>53452844
Rod Farrell was from Murray, KY (about a hundred miles from where I'm from), he had a 'vampire cult' and was obsessed with VtM, it factored into this murder of two people in Florida.
>>
>>53450810
>>53450810
What makes you think it's just "okay"? Arguably the most interesting lore, best defined themes, and versatility in play of any other game in both nwod and owod.
>>
>>53452298
Its advice on building a chronicle kinda int he same vein as Damnation City is for city building.
>>
File: photmo-2.jpg (297KB, 1674x1256px)
photmo-2.jpg
297KB, 1674x1256px
>>
>>53452784
>Bears a striking physical resemblence to Voormas, the metaplot villain of Mage: The Ascension.
Is this new or was this around in 1e, and if so where do I read about it?
>>
>>53453213
Astral Realms book, perhaps also in Imperial Mysteries, I don't remember.
>>
>>53452253
>Scion discussion belongs in the Exalted thread

No, Scion discussion belongs in the Storypath System thread that never gets made.
>>
>>53453289
There were a few of those when the kickstarter was happening. When the cores finally hit I'm guessing it will get a bit more talk, though I'm curious if it will be enough to generate a sustained general. The board being what it is nearly everything gets generals these days.
>>
Anyone happen to have a spot in a WoD game? Been wanting to try one of them for a long time, but haven't had any luck finding a group.

Gamefinder seemed pretty dead so I figured I'd post here. Other than reading a few things I'm completely new to it.
>>
>>53453490
Best bets are OPP forums, roll20, LFG subreddit, or RPG.net if you're really desperate/mentally ill.
>>
>>53454515
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check 'em out but I have pretty terrible luck with roll20 groups.
>>
>>53454515
Nobody should be desperate enough to go to RPGnet
>>
>>53453490
>>53454515
>>53454668
Has anyone tried Elliquiy? It's rare to find a WoD game but they generally seem okay
>>
File: obrimos.jpg (96KB, 540x587px)
obrimos.jpg
96KB, 540x587px
>>53437779
The fool!!! HE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN TO BE A MAGE!!! Especially in a Hunter Chronicle!!!!!!!
>>
I checked the intruders books but it didn't really have what I was looking for. Is there a source book for a truly terrifying abyssal entity like rank 5?
>>
>>53454976
I think Summoners has some
>>
>>53454976
>>53455017
Yep, Summoners has 2 sample entities of each rank from 1 to 5
>>
File: abomination.jpg (12KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
abomination.jpg
12KB, 300x300px
Any tips you fa/tg/uys have about running Masquerade? I've been planning out a chronicle for some IRL friends and it'll be their first time playing oWoD. We'll be using V20; I might incorporate some Demon the Fallen and Werewolf the Apocalypse stuff, but I wanna avoid mixing the gamelines too much.
>>
File: Core 1.png (2MB, 1346x1756px)
Core 1.png
2MB, 1346x1756px
>>53450387
>>53450680

Splat that people forget it even exists
>Wraith
>>
>>53456571
I'd avoid crossovers until your players are more familiar with the setting. Players should be neonates or fledglings. A good if generic plot to start with is the missing ally they need to look for, which uncovers a larger conspiracy.
>>
>>53456571
I'll copy and paste what I posted in another thread:

My advice for running V:tM -

set up the factions - not necessarily just "cammy, anarch, sabbat," but could extend to subfactions within those groups - "anarchs who want a democratic government," "anarchs who are actual communists," etc
set up conflict between those factions
introduce some means (via mcguffin, simply political maneuvering, etc) for one faction to overcome the other
have players be forced to choose sides

OR

have your players make characters
look into their character's backstories for potential plothooks ("I was sired by Tremere X, and he is hated by Ventrue Y")
have the players call in favors from one another to deal with their various problems
>>
In a hypothetical cross-splat party, which splats are the most and least compatible? Prometheans don't work too great obviously, and vampires kinda force the party to be nocturnal
>>
>>53457234
Demons and beasts are most compatible. Anything that still hinges more toward human in origin still gets hit with the disquiet
>>
>>53450370
I'd say possibly wait until 2e drops. It's going to be the next corebook to arrive. From what the dev has said about it, it's going to be the biggest mechanically changed of all the books from 1e to 2e process.
>>
>>53457234
I feel Mages and Sin-Eaters are probably the most compatible. Would be neat to see a chronicle that has a Mage, Sin-Eater, Promethean and Mummy to explore the themes of of the dead.

That being said Mummies, Prometheans and maybe Changelings and Demons are probably the least compatible splats to mix with the others. Not that it's a bad thing, but their themes and playstyles don't quite mesh as well with others.

Beast is technically "the most compatible" but given how they generally act around others it doesn't mean any other splat will want to tolerate them. (I'd assume Vampire and Beast would be best case scenario)
>>
>>53454906

Honestly, a prepped Changeling could flatten a Vampire.

>>53456579
He said Geist, which should be under OK splats. The problem with Geist is it was made before OPP discovered kickstarter, so it only got one book plus Book of the Dead
>>
>>53458187

Demons and Mages actually cross pretty well, both in power level and paranoid espionage antics
>>
>>53449323
You buy gifted which determines what spells you could buy. Then you purchase the spells like any old power.
>>
>>53458792
Oh, and if you get it at chargen I think you get a couple of free spells.
>>
Building a legend and is out. Anyone got it yet? How is it?
>>
RAAAAAA WHERE'S THE V5 PLAYEST
>>
>>53459207
More than likely at whatever LARP scene there is near you.
>>
>>53459260
>He still spouts the "LARP" meme
>>
Is thaumaturgy actually useful? I know it's got a fuckton of paths and the utility that comes with it, but will it come up often enough to be useful or will I never get enough dots to make alternate paths relevant?
>>
>>53459986
That depends on, for one, your character's age, but above all on how liberally your ST rewards you XP or allows you to learn rituals and other paths.
>>
>>53459986
You don't need more than 2 dots before you get powerful rituals like Don the Mask of Shadows, which lets you go invis, requires auspex sufficient to beat obfuscate 3 to detect, and doesn't get dispelled once you do something obvious unlike obfuscate.
>>
>>53460222

Yeah, but you need to actually learn the ritual. That's the rub.
>>
>>53437332
>shame you cant rape a kid into being a doctor the same way same sex parents rape adooted children into pedos.

Thats what a mage would say after he read your nonsensical regurgitation and just before turning you into a lawnchair
>>
>>53457234
Werewolf/Vampire/Changeling/Hunter (strong maybe on the Hunter, as they're a bit weaker) on one end, Mage/Demon/Mummy on the other. As >>53458553 said, they fit together in terms of powerlevel and themes, which is what you really want in a story.
>>
>>53460811
As long as you can find a decent reason for the werewolf not to eat the vampire, I guess it could work. Red talon that hates humanity more than the creatures of the night, perhaps?
>>
>>53460986
i assume they talking nwod where weres have no retarded auto hate for vampires.
>>
>>53449497
>tranny

bullshit
>>
>>53457234

Werewolf and Vampire are probably the most compatible in powerlevel. A Werewolf is useless socially while a Vamp is significantly worse off in combat.

In-lore there's little reason for them to team up, of course, but that's for you to fix. A Werespider or Wererat would have way more reason to chill with Vampires than the average Garou.

Mages are too OP, but a Sorcerer game might have a better chance enjoying play with the Vamps/Wolves.
>>
>>53461098
I was the one who queried about cross-splats to begin with. I guess it's logical to assume I was talking about nwod since I brought up prometheans, but would prefer to keep it owod if we're not gonna be using any splats exclusive to nwod
>>
>>53461589
>Mages are too OP

Mages are only overpowered at higher intervals of Arete or if they abuse preparations and held spells.
>>
What happens if a Werewolf eats a Bane spirit?
What does the manual says?
>>
File: bath.webm (3MB, 892x502px) Image search: [Google]
bath.webm
3MB, 892x502px
Scared vampfags?
>>
>>53461691
It gets addicted to yiffing
>>
File: King Solomon.jpg (598KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
King Solomon.jpg
598KB, 960x1280px
Solomon was a powerful Archmage in OWoD

Was he anything significant in CofD ?
>>
>>53461774
That's the default for werewolves
>>
>>53461691
It becomes a sick little doggo and must be taken to the vet.

AKA Thyrsus.
>>
>>53461804
but the metis
>>
File: Politics-and-language.jpg (23KB, 398x233px) Image search: [Google]
Politics-and-language.jpg
23KB, 398x233px
How can you make Politics work in this game?

I have a player with several dots in Politics, and I'm stumped how to work it into the campaign. It's not like every session they're running for mayor or bluffing their way into city hall. Is it even possible to make the stat useful in a non-vampire game? Don't want the player to think he's wasted all his dots on a shitty skill.
>>
>>53461821
That's what the rite of clouds and rain is for.
>>
File: Screenshot_12.jpg (43KB, 505x487px)
Screenshot_12.jpg
43KB, 505x487px
>>53461821
Lupines
>>
>>53461786
I believe there are two Legacies based on his teachings / apprentice. One is a detachment of the other.

Not sure if he was an archmage, but it wouldn't be surprising if he was.
>>
>>53461664
>Mages are only overpowered at higher intervals of Arete or if they abuse preparations and held spells.

so every mage
>>
Hey guys, second time storyteller here.

I want to run a VtM game with Venice as a setting. Are Giovanni really unavoidable? There's no way to play Venice as a Camarilla/Sabbat city?

Also, how do you play a Giovanni City? What books should I read?
>>
>>53461933
in the game I'm in now, my gm runs venice (our main city) as a camarilla city, but the prince and sheriff are brother and sister giovannis.
Also you can just fuck the setting/lore around if you want, it's just one city.
>>
>>53461929
Nope. Try reading some of the mage fiction some time.
>>
>>53462006
>using the fiction card

yeah, I will stick to PCs thank you. mages are fucking retarded.
>>
>>53462073
PC's can be whatever they feel like being yeah. But saying the average mage across the globe functions like that is still wrong, and splits the whole setting in half because how the fuck does anyone ever get anything done. Also
>fiction card
You mean actually reading the books?
>>
>>53461929
>>53462073
The average Mage isn't an idiot. You don't increase in power by being disillusioned regarding how the world secretly functions.

That being said, not all of the Awakened are going to take pains to set up various contingencies and defenses.

At least not until you're an Adept and above. It IS quite explicit how tense Mage society is.
>>
File: 1486436568168.gif (77KB, 307x320px)
1486436568168.gif
77KB, 307x320px
>>53462113
>>53462073
The problem is that the Mages in the fiction are almost without exception NOT written to their abilities in the rules.

Blood Treachery I literally couldn't make it through because it kept acting like the Vampires were the ones with the advantage and the Mages were the ones who had to be cautious in that fight.

Meanwhile in the campaign of Ascension I'm running RIGHT NOW the players just took out a minmaxed Brujah, in the heart of his own fucking house surrounded by armed guards, by just teleporting inside and then fucking him over with Mind effects.

The Mage wank is real.
>>
>>53462198
>The problem is that the Mages in the fiction are almost without exception NOT written to their abilities in the rules.
The writers get to decide whats canon and whats not. In this case its the other way around, you're PC's are the odd ones out, not the fiction mages. Yeah there are inconsistencies between the canon and the mechanics behind it, but that doesn't actually mean the canon is wrong.
>>
>>53462198
It's ok. Blood Treachery was shit.
We got revenge with the Week of Nightmares.

90s WW writers were biased and horrible at their jobs.
>>
>>53462241
Stop trying to justify inconsistencies for your own biased ends, you turd nugget.

This is one of the biggest issues with the OWoD metaplot as a whole. It isn't exclusive to Ascension, Masquerade has been nigh-ruined time and time again because of mechanical insufficient writing.
>>
>>53462241
>The writers get to decide whats canon and whats not
The mechanics are canon.

>In this case its the other way around, you're PC's are the odd ones out, not the fiction mages
You're hilarious.
>>
>>53462241
Nigga there isn't just "inconsistencies" half of the rules and the fluff are so ridiculous and broken you basically HAVE to pick and choose whats going to be canon for your campaign.
>>53462245
It pisses me off because I like the IDEA behind the Massasa War, its just there's no fucking way it would last more then 10 minutes in the actual setting. The leaders of the Order of Hermes would scry out Tremere's chantry then drop the Eiffel Tower on it.

Gg no re
>>
>>53462273
>Stop trying to justify inconsistencies for your own biased ends, you turd nugget.
Stop trying to pretend your words somehow matter in the face of the official setting written by the developers.
>This is one of the biggest issues with the OWoD metaplot as a whole. It isn't exclusive to Ascension, Masquerade has been nigh-ruined time and time again because of mechanical insufficient writing.
I'm not arguing against that. Yeah the metaplot is stupid and doesn't make much sense when you look at it for more than a few moments, you're totally right. All I'm saying is that in the default setting mages don't by and large walk around with ten separate prepared spells for any sort of bad whether.
>>
>>53462245
>antediluvian founder of fortitude
>gets nuked using 4 dots of forces
>butthurt vampfags ensue

Yeah, it was awfully and terribly hilarious.
>>
>>53462312
There are multiple threads on the Onyx Path forums discussing how badly written Blood Treachery was.
It's an often overlooked supplement, by intent.

I do believe even Masquerade players didn't enjoy the portrayal of Mary Sue Tremere.
>>
>>53462325
Honestly, they don't have to have prepared spells to fuck everything. My campaign I don't even run Mage in the WoD, I run it on Earth, because there's really no reason for Mage to be IN the WoD. I still have vampires, and the Consensus, and the Umbra, and most of the fluff for Mage/Vampire as canon, I just see little point in having a game about magical bullshit and defining your own reality as Gothic-Punk.

Mage works much better as its own setting, where all the PCs are presumed to be Mages, and the Consensual Reality doesn't have to compete with lesser metaphysics of other gamelines beyond telling them "they're wrong".

Similarly, Vampire works much better being in the World of Darkness, with a slightly buffed version of the Sorcerer template being how human magic-users work. As opposed to the gaudy and ridiculous Awakened who shit all over the setting.

TLDR: You're technically correct that the Word of God is canon, but the WoG is dumb and so is half the canon.
>>
>>53462166
Well, not an idiot sure. But the theme of the game is about hubris and power corrupting for a reason.
Think about it like this, take the average joe off the street and give him the power to throw raw lightning from his hands. What's that going to do to him? Sure, we from outside the game can look at that and note that it's not really that much more impressive than just shooting a gun, but in universe that isn't the case. The raw power even a freshly awakened mage wields is incredible, and allows them to do incredible things. For your average joe this is going to go to their head in a major way. The rush of casually breaking past barriers that used to matter in their day to day life makes them feel invincible. It's easy to see then, why not a huge portion of mages go out of their way to use magic to set up defenses like this. Why bother when they're clearly powerful enough to handle anything that comes their way, at least in their own minds.
>>
>>53462413
Please, don't enforce your stereotypes on all a single Template.

Hubris is a theme, but Wisdom is as well.
>>
>>53462413
>the majority of mages are arrogant and cocky bastards going ham at every turn

How about no?
>>
>>53437220
High quality. I bought premium ink. It's better than 1e by far binding wise.
>>
>>53462312
>The leaders of the Order of Hermes would scry out Tremere's chantry then drop the Eiffel Tower on it.

>The leaders of the Order of Hermes would subject themselves to 4+ points of Paradox, and alert everyone in the area, if not the world, to the existence of magick

Hahaha, yeah, right
>>
As someone unfamiliar with the mage setting, do mages know about other WoD things like vampires and werewolves? If so, why have they not destroyed them yet? and if they don't, shouldn't they know this, considering how powerful they are?
>>
>>53462500
>first masassa war
>paradox

Are you retarded?
>>
>>53462507
That doesn't have a canon answer. The corebook of any given line assumes that either the other things don't exist, or that like hunter something vaguely similar but not identical exists. Vampires /might/ be alive in the world of Werewolf, but if they are it isn't assumed that they're the same five clans and so on and so on.
>>
>>53462500
Paradox wasn't around in AD 1200~

The world's populace wouldn't be alerted to the presence of magic, as the Consensus would correct it.
Mages would employ more drastic and subtle means, as they usually do.
>>
>>53462507
It depends on the writer.

In the Tremere books the Tremere know next to jack shit about the "wizards" they used to run with still being around, except for maybe a few of the older ones. It also explains how this is mutual, and the Hermetics know next to nothing about the Tremere.

In the Order of Hermes book it explains they have specific protocols for dealing with the "night-folk" including Clan Tremere and have many books and treatises about them.

In my own campaign, the Order knows alot about the Tremere, only the highest ranking Tremere know alot about the Order, and the reason neither has fought the other is because both have bigger fucking problems.

Every Mage sent out vampire-hunting is a Mage not useful against the Technocracy.

Also not every Mage is a soldier. In fact, most aren't. Not every Mage is willing to actually go and risk their magic-filled lives to fight vampires or cyborgs.
>>
>>53462507
>>53462541
Oh wait, Beast does. Beast assumes that all the other splats exist and that they're basically the same as the core books detail, and kind of just ignores the huge inconsistencies in the settings of each lines.
>>
>>53462507
One of the biggest issues regarding the OWoD metaplot was the massive reserves of power in relation to the Union and the Traditions.

Logically, werewolves and vampires shouldn't exist with them effectively running the planet.
>>
>>53462547
>>53462518
>>53462500
Well I was referring to the second war, to be fair. And the Technocracy would get extremely butthurt about that kind of use of the Eiffel Tower.

The point is they COULD do that. They could also just fill the Chantry with lightning remotely.
>>
>>53462433
Wisdom isn't a theme. It's a mechanic, but the book no where says that most pentacle mages usually have high wisdom. I mean this is the world of darkness after all, it's full of selfish prideful greedy people to begin with, even before you add the power to bend reality to the mix.
>>53462457
I never said anything like that.
>>
>>53462563
>Also not every Mage is a soldier

The thing about magic is that you don't need to be trained to fight to obliterate your enemies.

An old Inuit wisewoman specializing in healing through the fluids of the body could just as easily dehydrate her foes as a by-product of her craft.
>>
Are you guys discussing Ascension or Awakening?!

PICK ONE FFS
>>
>>53462608
You kind of implied it by saying the average joe smoe [and thus the average Mage] would let the power completely go to their heads and be reckless morons.

The reality is that that likely isn't the case, since a dumb Mage, past a certain point, is likely to quickly become a dead Mage. Most low Gnosis Mages likely aren't reckless or paranoid, they're just mildly prepared.

High Gnosis, all bets are off. Those fuckers are crazy.
>>
>>53462608
Wisdom is a mechanic, but it has a direct correlation to hubris.

Not sure how this is flying over your head, buddy.
>>
>>53462616
But that still requires risking your life, and not all Mages are willing to do that. In my campaign the Traditions actually outnumber the Technocracy twice over, the only reason they don't just zerg-rush them is a lack of cohesion and a lack of willingness to throw their lives away.

For every Chorister vampire-hunting nun with a Prime-fueled longsword there's a Hermetic or Etherite who just wants to continue their research.
>>
>>53462678
Nobody is going to WANT to risk their lives, anon. This isn't news.

Magic is fucking dangerous.

>For every Chorister vampire-hunting nun with a Prime-fueled longsword there's a Hermetic or Etherite who just wants to continue their research.
This seems to be the case for a lot of mages dedicating their lives to their practice(s).

Just don't invade their sanctums, for the love of god.
>>
>>53462678
>>53462725

You two make it sound like the only threats to mages are other mages.
>>
>>53462646
No, I really didn't. Saying 'not every mage is his batman tier person who's always prepared for trouble at every moment' is no where near saying that mages are reckless and dumb.
>>53462666
>Wisdom is a mechanic, but it has a direct correlation to hubris.
I know? I'm pointing out that mage lists hubris as a theme, and not wisdom. Because there are more mages who let the power get to them then there are mages who are super careful about it.
>>
File: where.png (936KB, 644x644px) Image search: [Google]
where.png
936KB, 644x644px
>>53462741
>>
>>53462741
Well, it depends on the power level.

At low to mid Arete, particularly potent vampires or werewolves, or hell even Sleepers in high enough numbers ARE legitimate threats.

At higher Arete there is nothing in the setting that can oppose them, barring certain Umbroods, who don't exactly walk around on street corners.

Really the only thing vampires have up on Mages is sheer numbers. If you wanted a "realistic" Second Massasa War that's how you'd run it. With the vamps outnumbering the god-like Mages a hundred to one.
>>
>>53462741
Nono, there's still things like Abyssal entities and the like.
>>
>>53462741
Mage conflicts are not fun to witness.

You're either the obvious superior combatant or expecting mutually assured destruction.
>>
Has there been any Deviant news in the last several months?
>>
Why are mages so powerful?

Is there an actual reason for them being the strongest things playable?
>>
>>53462943
theme
>>
>>53462919
Nope. I'm guessing it's pretty low on the priority list all things considered, and not just in WoD terms. Scion and Trinity are getting launched right around the same time, and Exalted is still in the early stages. Lot's going on.
>>
File: Lyon_Knoll_and_Vigarde.png (19KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
Lyon_Knoll_and_Vigarde.png
19KB, 240x160px
>>53462943
Do you mean mechanically or fluffwise?

From a fluff perspective, Mages in Ascension are so powerful because they literally define reality. All the other splats just live in the world, Mages can say with gusto "I reject your reality and substitute my own". Similarly in Awakening, Mages are so powerful because a major game theme is hubris and the abuse of power, so they have to be powerful to make that theme work.

If you mean mechanically, its because Mages in both systems don't have a list of abilities, they have ranks in a freeform system that gives them total control over a single aspect of reality as defined within certain limits. For instance Forces 3 literally gives you total control over all "forces" in existence [light, fire, lightning, gravity, electricity, etc], Mind 3 all control over minds, Matter 3 over matter, etc except for the limitations listed in Forces/Mind/Matter 4 and 5, which say "You need THIS rank to do these particular things"

For instance, in Ascension, Matter works something like this

Matter 1: Perceive matter, know whats in a given piece of matter, know the dimensions of a matter, etc.

Matter 2: Change any matter to any other matter, as long as you don't change state of matter.

Matter 3: Can now change state of matter

Matter 4: Can now make complicated objects and machinery.

Matter 5: Lol I don't care nigga, if it involves "matter", you can do it now.

I'm massively oversimplifying, but you get the point. Its hard to use "Turn into a bat" and "Punch really hard" to compete with "I create a black hole made of demons [Forces 5/Spirit 5]
>>
>>53462741
And Paradox. Paradox always wins.
>>
Where mages bumfuck powerful in owod too?
>>
>>53463094
>Paradox always wins.
lolno

more like "haha I slap you"
*runs away*

Paradox is a ding dong ditch
>>
>>53462943
Because they hold a fragment of God within them in oWoD. And in nWoD they have a connection to the source code of reality
>>
>>53463099
Yeah, but less so then nWoD. There were cheese options but the lack of stuff like Mage Armor and Turn back the Sands meant they could be rockettaged easier.
>>
>>53463138
>>53463099
I'd argue that Old Mages were stronger, since by and large the rank of Sphere you need to do [Thing] is lower then the rank of Arcana you need to do [Thing].

Also Masters of the Art>Imperial Mysteries.
>>
>>53463181
Imperial mysteries actually functions as a game.
>>
>>53463181
>Masters of the Art>Imperial Mysteries.

In terms of scale and power, sure. It was terribly written and horrendously balanced,

Imperial Mysteries on the other hand is one of the best things ever produced for Mage. Dave and Malcolm did a tremendous job.
>>
>>53463284
Malcolm put out an outline detailing how he would re-work the Archspheres for M20.

Sadly Brucatto said "NO"
>>
File: 1494342186292.jpg (41KB, 340x395px) Image search: [Google]
1494342186292.jpg
41KB, 340x395px
>>53450387
>>
>>53463337
>Sadly Brucatto said "NO"
God forbid you put actual rules for magic in a book some people paid over $300 dollars for. What a piece of shit.
>>
File: what could have been.png (99KB, 987x528px) Image search: [Google]
what could have been.png
99KB, 987x528px
>>53463337
>>
>>53463367
I'm glad he can't make his fucking rent.
>>
>>53450775
>Changeling 2e just needs to never materialize
fixed
>>
File: cinnamon-toast-crunch.jpg (637KB, 1600x2132px) Image search: [Google]
cinnamon-toast-crunch.jpg
637KB, 1600x2132px
Can you use mage sight to see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch or is that beyond its scope
>>
>>53463390
Beyond its scope

Some mysteries just can't be solved
>>
>>53463390
Some Mysteries are too great even for the awakened.
>>
>>53463494
>>53463390
>>53463531
WARNING: Imperial Mystery below, do NOT read unless you intend to seek the Threshold.

Kids like Cinnamon Toast Crunch because its mostly sugar.
>>
>>53463609
>t. seer of the throne
I see past the lies of your exarch masters
>>
File: Supernal Urinal Deuce Mystery.jpg (314KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Supernal Urinal Deuce Mystery.jpg
314KB, 960x540px
>>53463531

But not too great for the Hardly Mages
>>
>>53463952

oh fuck I think I'm getting a clue
>>
Any advice on translating material from 1e to 2e for awakening? Specifically spells that use conjunctional arcana or applying reach to spells that used to be like 4 dot practices when they should have been two dots (e.g. control base/median/advanced life)

Also is it possible to make truly mindless guardians with Life or Matter to guard your sanctum?
>>
>>53464076
>Also is it possible to make truly mindless guardians with Life or Matter to guard your sanctum?

Yes. Life 5 can make mindless non-conscious whatnot.
Adding in Mind 5 gives it actual semblance, but is a potential Wisdom loss.
>>
So I've realized a Glaring problem with NMage, And that's that I'm struggling to figure out how to create a character that isn't a pretentious twat, massive nerd, or douchey hipster without being an apostate, scelestus, or banisher. Which leaves me stuck with "Edgelord"
>>
>>53464183
>pretentious twat, massive nerd, or douchey hipster

I fail to see how any of these are an issue.
>>
>>53464252

Because I'd some variety in my options
>>
>>53464183
I just play Blank Badge terrorist Free Councilors that like to destroy Seer institutions, preferably by 9/11ing them.
>>
>>53461851
Could use it to not sound like an idiot in more serious discussions, I guess?
>>
>>53461933
Easiest thing to do - move Giovanni HQ to Florence, or Milan, or Genoa, etc
>>
>>53461933
Venice is canonically the "capital" of the Camarilla as well, since it's where the Inner Circle meets; the Camarilla has a tight grip on most of the city and lets the Giovanni do their own thing.
>>
>>53461851
I've over ever used it in Changeling for pledges. The only other real use I found is figuring out who's in charge somewhere.
If the player isn't actively pursuing social merits and the like related to spreading influence and controlling a local area, there isn't really much you as an ST can do but feed them chances to make deals with people. Maybe other people have found it more useful, but I've not run into it coming up much ever except some red tape cutting in dealing with police or other bureaucrats .
>>
>>53464183
Anxious paranoid, talented and fortunate loser, gabby pedagogue, jealous secret-keeper, merchantly power-broker, or if you really just can't imagine how to make a mage interesting character, try being yourself and play an enlightened idiot.
>>
>>53465254

>Anxious Paranoid
Edgelord + massive nerd

>Talented and fortunate loser
Massive nerd + Douchey hipster

>Gabby Pedagogue
Massive nerd + pretentious twat

>Jealous secret Keeper
Massive nerd + Edgelord

>Merchantly power-broker
Edgelord + Pretentious Twat
>>
Anyone have the pdf of 2e homebrew Legacy updates?
>>
Vampires should be stronger than mages

Our fanbase was here first
>>
>>53465771
Cry some more
>>
>>53465771
False flag harder, magefag.
>>
>>53465771

Can we get a crying indian with vampire fangs please
>>
>>53466171
>>
>>53465706
Haven't had a chance to update it further yet.
>>
So in V20 if I'm playing a Tremere that's managed to learn Visisitude, could I use the Blood Penny ritual on a bunch of those flat glass marble things you find in craft stores, hide them in my body to draw out later when I cast the ritual that condenses my blood to artifically increase my generation? Could i wear sub-dermal armor like a steel plate on the breast bone & kevlar/stab-proof material. What other bullshit could I pull off? In the idea of making myself a unholy terror/super prepped blood god.
>>
>>53465771
I could support this only in they allowed vamps to diablireize anything given a bit of effort.
Like drain a Mage & gain a temporary Arcana, that fades once you use it. Convert Mage blood into Mana that sort of thing

Drain spirits & get Numia

Werewolves give you frenzy & maybe something else

Basically vamps should be decently powerful with options to do crazy shit if you go balls out & drain more powerful beings for power
>>
>>53466345

Fuck off biased vampfaggot
>>
>>53464076
>Also is it possible to make truly mindless guardians with Life or Matter to guard your sanctum?

Golems are a Matter 4 spell.
>>
>>53466497
Also I'd advise getting a very cheap Retainer, probably a 1-dot Sleepwalker cleaner/message-runner/menial-job-doer.

Then build up a strong relationship with him, and get him to hold your turbo-charged Golem spell which animates an odd dozen marble statutes to protect your sanctum.

Boom, for 1 merit dot you've got someone who can do very simple jobs for you, AND grants you another effectively "free" spell control.

Just hope the GM doesn't off him to lower your Sanctum's defences.
>>
>>53466399
Vamps are all about being degenerate parasites doing everything they can for advantage. If they worked with the idea a little bit, it might make vampires interesting again. I'm not a big vampire fan, it's kinda a containment room for edgelords & fuckwits, but vampires as a concept isn't bad at all.

Like in the final episode of Angel, where he is getting his ass handed to him by Adam Baldwin until he mentions the power flowing though his veins. Angel has a light bulb moment & starts drinking, & gets that power.

Image a vampire scheming to take down a young newly awakened Mage just to catch a fleeting glimpse of a greater world, or one that feeds on a Mummy, would be cool.
>>
I think WOD needs a superhero/vigilante splat.
>>
>>53467208
Check out Princess
>>
>>53467234
fuck fansplats!!
Thread posts: 349
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.