[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 373
Thread images: 27

D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>New Unearthed Arcana: Mystics
http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
https://mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous thread >>52186757
>>
Does anybody else really hate spell schools? What's a better way of giving Wizards something interesting if not spell school specialization?
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12540480

Poll for the warlock.
>>
>>52201945
I really like the academic/scientific/scholarly approach to magic that Wizards take, setting them apart from other spell casters, and they kind of nicely divide sensible distinctions between types of wizardry, like blasty, mind-altery and landscapey. I'm sure there are other very novel ways of specializing wizards but I'm drawing a blank due to my hackiness.
>>
>>52201311
I think the framework from the psionic monk could probably be pretty easily adapted to fighter or rogue, with little more than swapping out the required Orders. Maybe Immortal/Avatar for a fighter subclass and Nomad/Awakened(?) for Rogue?

More Rogue subclasses in general could be fun, they got kind of lame UAs.
>>
What are good, non-disruptive ways i can play up that a character is slightly crazed. Playing a deep gnome urchin awakened mystic and i'm looking for things that i can do/act/say from time to time to show that he was unhinged for quite a while but is mostly better now.
>>
>Way of the Elements monk subclass
>learns one Wu Jen discipline at 3rd, 6th, 11th, and 17th level
>can switch out one discipline for another Wu Jen discipline when they level up
>psionic ability is Wisdom
>can spend ki points in place of psi points
>psi limit is 2 at 3rd level, 3 at 7th, 5 at 13th, 6 at 19th
>>
File: Return spellbook hi-def fanart.jpg (1MB, 1271x1644px) Image search: [Google]
Return spellbook hi-def fanart.jpg
1MB, 1271x1644px
>>52201945

You are a Wizard. Every time you learn a spell, roll 3d6. You only get to roll once per spell, ever. You may add your proficiency bonus to learning the spell only if taught to you by another Wizard, or if you undertake a short quest to retrieve a magical substance or experience that will help you understand it's mystery.
>5 or fewer- You fail to learn the spell.
>6-8- You learn a lesser version of the spell. You either require a rare component (not found in normal component pouches) OR spell is treated as it's "normal" spell level as one higher, with no benefit.
>9-11- You learn the spell as is.
>12-14- You are very talented with this spell. Treat this spell as though one of the Sorcery meta-magic abilities are one it permanently, every time you cast it. This is selected when you first learn the spell and cannot be changed.
>15-17- As below, plus you may either remove one component of the spell (Somatic, Verbal, or Material) OR Lower the spell's level by one, but with the same effects.
>18+ This spell is infused within your essence. You may cast this spell without preperation, as long as you have an empty spell slot, and can even override other prepared spells of the appropriate spell level or greater to cast it spontaneously. This spell permanently marks your character with a minor manifestation, nervous tic, or quirk that distinguishes your Wizard from normal. ie; Cone of Cold makes your breath always visible, even when it is warm.
>>
>>52202165
That doesn't solve the problem at all, Ki is much more limited than PP and one of the biggest issues with Wot4E is just how inefficient its ki usage is.
>>
>>52202144
Absolute confidence that [fringe philosophical theory] is true.
>>
>>52202165
>>52202185
Someone already did this and halved (rounded up) the psi cost of disciplines, because Monks have shit for ki if powers cost 2 a pop. Shadow and Wot4E value second level spells (3 psi) at 2 ki so it seems fitting.

As for ki still being limited, remember: short rest.
>>
>>52202185
What if 1 ki point counted as 2 psi points?
>>
>>52202053
They kicked around making taking the Immortal out of Mystic and making it a Fighter archetype. Everyone yelled (rightly) that it was a stupid idea and you have to leave Psychic Warrior in the fucking Psion class.

We've been "promised" that there are psionic archetypes coming for other classes, though. They have mentioned Sohei for Fighter. Soheis were basically the proto-Divine Fist (Cleric/Monk) but they'd be ditching the classical religious angle in favor of "trained at a monastery to become a warrior-monk and has funky mind powers". All in all, much better, because Soheis were cool.

Other shit that might work:
Shapers / Constructor as a Ranger-psi. They have a pet made out of ectoplasm and change/improve it by spending psi, giving them a customizable buddy every day

Zerth Cenobite and Fist of Zuoken were both psi-Monk PrCs but not very good due to their manifesting level hits, but there wasn't a whole lot wrong with them other than that.
>>
>>52202225
>>52202185
Or rather, you can convert 1 ki point to 2 psi points as a bonus action, in a way similar to how sorcerers do it.
>>
>>52202225
Honestly, i would just grant them a small PP pool as part the archetype, and then add in a "convert Ki to PP via an action", sort of like how sorcery points to spell slots work. It would let them standardize a method of 1/3 psionics to use for other archetypes.
>>
>>52202225
>max 40 psi points

Seems weak but I guess they have other features Mystics don't.
>>
File: SamusConfusion.png (39KB, 353x364px) Image search: [Google]
SamusConfusion.png
39KB, 353x364px
>>52202240
>Have to leave psychic warrior in the psion class
>But it's okay to put the arcane warrior in the fighter class
>>
>>52202285
They also would get them back on a short rest. At high levels they would have 120 on a 2-short-rest day, which... is a bit extreme, matching up with a full mystic.

Thus the initial suggestion of 1 ki point per psi point. >>52202277's suggestion of a 1:1 conversion on top of an extra pool is probably a more balanced solution.
>>
yall niggas know ki comes back on a short rest right
>>
>>52202306
>But it's okay to put the arcane warrior in the fighter class
It's not. Stop believing the lies of the Stockholm syndrome'd EK fags here. EK is bad and we're only trying to help them by letting everyone know. They don't deserve what WotC has done to them, and we dodged a bullet by making sure Psychic Warrior was spared that fate.
>>
>>52202306
Pyschic Warrior isn't a fighter first, it's a psion/mystic that attacks.

A fighter with psionics would be a fighter archetype, like what they seem to have mentioned about the Sohei
>>
Any tips for how I should make a STR beastmaster ranger? Some of the issues I'm running into are:
-Disliking the idea of a ranger in plate mail
-Most of the monsters I fight are resistant to non magical piercing and throwing my +1 javelin sucks compared to a +1 bow
-Not being able to use swift quiver with any str weapons
>>
>>52202361
i'm sorry, you're kinda fucked if you wanna stick with a javelin for your main combat option cuz there's not a whole lot of love for thrown weapons in 5e.

you don't have to go for plate. just go for medium armor so you don't have to invest as much into dex. your AC will be fine with half-plate.

probably the best thing i can think of is going two handed and using your companion as a flanking partner so you can get some mileage out of GWM but besides that i don't see much synergy with a STR beastmaster.
>>
>>52202308
Yeah, that's a really good point.

>>52202240
Sure, but I wouldn't mind a Mystic Knight who gives up some of the huge flexibility of the Mystic's versatility and raw psychic power for a multiattack and the other base Fighter class features.

I also wouldn't mind a War Wizard or something which allows the Wizard to be a little more martial without going full EK. It's basically an Abjurer with better weapon proficiency or a Bladesinger, so that kind of already exists.

>>52202361
If your DM isn't a shitter they'll lay some magic throwing weapons down for you because it needs some extra help, otherwise you're really a melee character.
>>
>>52202427
>I wouldn't mind a Mystic Knight who gives up some of the huge flexibility of the Mystic's versatility and raw psychic power for a multiattack
You can give up all of your versatility by spamming that 5 psi power ability in Celerity that lets you attack again if you really want.
>>
>>52202361
As long as you have a +2 dex modifier, medium armor can do you just fine.

Assuming you have a wolf, you benefit from the prone it can apply, and you trigger pack tactics if you are in melee with it, which means you can lock down an enemy by "yourself".

You could use two weapon fighting, although it isn't any better than using it with Dex, otherwise you can use medium armor+shield, which is decent AC.

The one thing i can think of that is actually BETTER than with dex would be that you can Grapple an enemy your wolf has knocked Prone, so you should be able to keep most things away from your allies and kill it over time.
>>
>>52202361
Well, first, you need a whole bundle of +1 javelins. Then you need your DM to allow that throwing weapons ignore item draw limitations, or are otherwise treated as having the ammunition property. You could also skirt both of these by having a +1 returning weapon.

That said, there's not really any features (styles, feats) that benefit throwing. Maybe Dueling, if your DM grants that the +2 damage carries over. But if you're a ranged character, you may as well be dual-wielding your throwables, right?
>>
>>52202427
You get super extra attack for a ranged weapon if you use Faithful Archer from Nomadic Arrow.
>>
>>52202427
That's going to be the Sohei, bro. They wear armor, fight with weapons, and are having their divine magic replaced with psi shit. Fighter archetype with psi powers. Hopefully they aren't as gimped in uses per day as EK, but even if they were, at least most of the stuff in Immortal disciplines is more relevant to a Fighter than "casts Shield and occasionally Burning Hands or Gust of Wind"
>>
I know a good bit about rpgs
I tried too gm and failed
I tried again and failed
I tried being in a friends game and he failed
It is impossible too complete a campaign.
Anyone got a discord or something i could play in to see how a campaign is supposed to go?
>>
File: fightermakeoverv3.pdf (3MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
fightermakeoverv3.pdf
3MB, 1x1px
Reposting my fighter makeover, criticism welcome.
>>
>>52202501
How did they fail?
>>
>>52202469
That's actually really neat, I hadn't looked much at the Nomad Disciplines yet.

>>52202486
Sounds good, sort of a psychic paladin kind of thing? Lightning Leap and most Immortal disciplines sound fun for a martial.
>>
>>52202501
Explain how there was failure.
>>
>>52202361

The options for a "thrown weapons" based class aren't great.

As it stands now, thrown weapons are only meant as a suppliant to melee. So you basically have to deal with it or cross your fingers for a UA thing incorporates some thrown weapon stuff.

Alternatively talk to your GM, I just played a spear chucking orc ranger in a monster campaign. But we had to chop a lot of stuff up to make it work as a strength based leather wearing class.
>>
>>52202619
How to fix thrown weapons:
Any weapon with the thrown property is considered a ranged weapon when used to make a ranged attack [to allow the use of the Archery style and related items], and may be drawn as though they were ammunition [so you can make extra attacks with them].

Still inferior to bows, but viable.
>>
File: LaughingVikings.png (1MB, 1161x596px) Image search: [Google]
LaughingVikings.png
1MB, 1161x596px
>>52202486
>using any of the EK's evocation spells
>>
>>52202619
>>52202361
Funny you mention UA, because there is actually a Mystic option that would let you extra attack with a single thrown weapon... if that weapon is a Net.

>a bonus action, you imbue a ranged weapon with a limited sentience. Until your concentration ends, you can make an extra attack with the weapon at the start of each of your turns (no action required). If it is a thrown weapon, it returns to your grasp each time you make any attack with it.

The only "thrown" ranged weapon is Net.
>>
>>52202710
Or dart, because apparently reading is hard, and i totally didn't forget Darts exist.
>>
>>52202506
I like what you've done, personally though I'd just keep Champion as-is, but buff up Remarkable Athlete as it's a glorified boost to initiative.
I'd say something like-
An amount of times equal to your Con mod per short rest, you can, once per turn, perform greater feats of martial prowess. You can either-
Add 1d4/1d6 to your weapon attacks for the turn,
-Make a shove attack against a target,
-Double your proficiency bonus for a skill using Dex or Str. This lasts for one check, and disappears if not used at the end of the turn.
>>
>>52202777
I think i'd add the automatic 10 or higher effect onto Remarkable Athlete at a later level, let them perform consistently at all that stuff.
>>
I want to make a tiefling monk noble. Is d&d the type of game where everything is acceptable? Because reading up on tieflings in the book shows their race are normally in the rougher parts of town. I don't want to really make a I guess "lore" breaking kind of character. I don't know, this is my first attempt at making a character in general.
>>
Do you guys play with material components to spells? My DM completely ignores that rule unless it's calling for an expensive item lime raise dead.

He also seems to ignore concentration saves for spells
>>
>>52202808
It's all setting dependent, but those 3 things certainly are all core options and there is no mechanical reason you can't do it.
>>
>>52202808
Based on the standard fluff, it'd work better if he was a noble bastard.
>>
>>52202777
I think that eats into the Champions theme of being resource-less and always ready. Then again, this homebrew already does do that, so that sounds kind of cool.

>>52202808
>Is d&d the type of game where everything is acceptable?
Not really, but a tiefling noble is fine. A devil-cursed noble house is an evocative thing to have in a setting so I'd definitely do it.

>>52202817
I generally assume a pouch is always stocked, or my players would just choose an arcane focus every time. I only really care about spell components which have a gold cost.

Don't ignore concentration saves for spells, even if it's easy to forget.
>>
>>52202839
I was actually thinking that exact same thing. Bastard it is then. Probably.
>>52202836

Thank you both for replying.
>>
>>52202799
It is a nice fix, I usually try to avoid dipping into other classes unique features, but that idea has good flavor. I always felt the Champion should be the fighting man's man, a barbarian with more control, in a sense.
>>
>>52202817
the non-gold cost components and the spell focus are really there just to make sure the casters hands are occupied, and thus prevented from holding a shield,extra weapon etc. The component requirement for spells is not to require fiddly inventory management.

concentration checks are vital to balance against the power of spell buffs. Is your DM at least remembering that a caster cannot maintain concentration on more than one spell?
>>
>>52201951
This one was tough because I really don't like Warlocks at all. I guess the flavor of the Undying is the best in my opinion though.
>>
File: 1353215536193.jpg (26KB, 400x325px) Image search: [Google]
1353215536193.jpg
26KB, 400x325px
the fuck are you guys on? Eldritch Knight is great
>>
So just out of curiosity. The Psionic Weapon lets your enemy make a save or be hit by a melee attack. This negates the small sized penalty for using heavy weapons right?
>>
>>52201951
Why are GOO warlocks so popular, and why does it feel like I've never played with a classic Demon warlock, and instead they're all Azathoth fuccbois?
>>
>>52203097
Because "Ma eldritch abomination" is what's cool with the kids nowadays. Fiend>Fey>>>GOO for the core options.
>>
>>52203097
It's harder, although certainly not impossible, to play neutral or good aligned Fiend warlocks, and "no evil characters" is a fairly common campaign stipulation.
>>
>>52203097
>>52203108
Whereas I've never played a GOO because I don't jive with the theme, I honestly feel, not counting UA, it's the best archetype thematically, and gets a pretty boss spell list.
>>
>>52202144
Ben?
>>
>>52203134
Mechanically* fuck
>>
>>52203134
I admit the mechanical aspects and the spell list are nice. My main gripe is because they mentioned Cthulhu in the patrons, every single fucking under 18 at my game store's obsessed with them. We let some of those guys come to our home games and I've had to ban Warlocks because 2+ in every party was too much.
>>
>>52203141
Nah
Current character is a human War Cleric, Soldier background, on the off chance one of my group sees
>>
>>52202506
>ek can no longer teleport
>improved crit is needlessly complicated
>changed things around but didnt make anything better
>>
>>52202144
say lots of nonsensical, contradictory, or paradoxical phrases. also try to speak more literally. e.g. instead of "that hurt me" say "knife bring pain"
>>
>>52203160
Cthulhu warlocks are a meme because Welcome to Nightvale is popular and vaguely Lovecraftian.

As soon as someone makes a podcast based on the works of Aleister Crowley, you'll see more fiendlocks.
>>
>>52203185
I hope so. Best Warlock I've seen in play was an Undying one played similar to Renfield, it was pretty boss. Also one of those characters that ended up betraying the party and nobody minded because it was well done, realistic and made for a good story.
>>
>>52203068
It would appear so, yes. Be a little dude with a huge sword who uses his mind to hit hard with that sword.
>>
>>52203185
MTG and Hearthstone's previous sets were cthulu themed. It's popping up in other places too.
>>
>>52203223
My plan was to play a Gnome and once I've got a healthy supply of PP to take along a Great-Axe for when I can help out in Melee.

Also don't need proficiency which is nice.
>>
>>52202486
>EK's
>Using 1st level spells that aren't shield and absorb elements.
>>
>>52203236
Mastery of Wood and Earth for Animate Weapon is pretty much just better, but if you just want the flavor your way works.
>>
>>52203059
Some people don't get that an EK is a quadratic fighter.
>>
Lore Bard/ Rogue or Lore Bard/fighter multi-class?
>>
>>52203297
neither?
>>
>>52203168
>ek can no longer teleport
Thanks, that's an oversight. I'll add in a 15th level feature that lets you teleport when you cast a spell of first level or higher. I'm probably going back to action surges on a short rest, but I think tying the teleportation to a short rest would be needlessly punitive.

>improved crit is needlessly complicated
I disagree on this. It seems pretty simple to me. You roll a single dice, and get a result.

>changed things around, but didn't make anything better
You'll have to elaborate further.
>>
>>52203321
Not him, but for me, I liked what you tried to do with the Champion's crit mechanic, but as it was in your fix, I wouldn't want to chance a die on a crit- I'd use it for maneuvers which are more likely to succeed. The risk/reward mechanic presented here felt much more "barbarian", rather than "focused fighting-man."
>>
>>52203297
Lore wizrd/____________
>>
File: 371.jpg (63KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
371.jpg
63KB, 450x450px
So what was the worst thing you let your party do, /5eg/? Murder innocents, start wars, kick puppies, generally evil shit.
>>
>>52203371
Animate 14 skeletons and take them into battle.
>>
>>52203371
one of my players took a dragon cultist that gave up and grappled him. he took him to the edge of the mountain cliff and went full edgelord and said "this is the last thing you'll ever see" and proceeded to cut his head off and throw it down the mountain.
>>
>>52203371
My party once interrogated someone. They started inserting things between his thumb nails and his thumbs.

He didn't know anything they wanted to know, but they didn't know that. The information he gave them was completely false, and just given so they'd give him a few days of relief
>>
>>52203371
Giving them magical 'meat slave' clothing. Whoever wore it would slowly lose their will until they became for all intents and purposes an animated dead. It also let them redirect damage the 'master garment' took to the slaves. They tried to enslave the party paladin, the paladin's master, and the NPCs that traveled with them from the start of the campaign.
>>
>>52203371
Does it count if I haven't done it? Because I was wondering the legitimacy of someone using a soul jar on a pregnant lady, except not the lady.
>>
>>52203321
>I disagree on this. It seems pretty simple to me. You roll a single dice, and get a result.
my issue with it is that i'm just opposed to mechanics that require further rolling of dice, so i feel like changing improved crit from 1d20 to 1d20+1d8 is bad.
also the math is different and i just don't like it. personal taste i guess. champion can use it every turn to have a chance to crit right? the way that dice regenerate? so its a 12.5% chance to crit instead of 10% chance, and then a 20% chance instead of 15%? idk. plus extra damage?
>You'll have to elaborate further.
i actually take it back because remarkable athlete is trash and you made it do something.
but on further review, i just dislike the design philosophy of "fighters get to do cool stuff every turn, every other class doesn't". but thats not so much a problem with your design as with the context.
i guess overall i just feel like you've somewhat complicated fighters, to maybe make them a bit better, but make them way too fundamentally different from 5e especially as compared to different classes.
a nice aspect of 5e's combat is that its relatively simple without 4e style attacks and powers every turn. we can agree to disagree on that, and i wouldn't mind SOME complication, but 2 superiority die regenerating every turn seems like a lot to me, even if you added some action cost to some abilities.
>>
>>52203371
They haven't done much to bad so far, we'll see since they'll have a couple brushes with the underworld of cities. Also having to choose between killing someone they deem as "bad" or letting them go because it's better for everyone will be interesting.

>Mayor of town is Lawful Evil
>If he's slain the main guards have orders to kill several innocents to maintain order
>Also another one is the only thing keeping things together
>His death would result in several towns being wiped out

Sucks when the bad guys have mostly won by killing the Emperor so the country is in chaos.
>>
>>52203403
That's the tricky thing about torture, eventually they'll just tell you what they think you want to hear.
>>
>>52203399
>not casting haste on him to slow down his perception of time, then throwing him off the mountain
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyjfNQ0lJn4
>>
>>52203371
>necromancer ship
>every night they eat the cabin boy alive
>then rez him for the next night
>>
>>52203430
Fair enough. Contextually, I am planning on treating the other classes similarly, if I can get the fighter one to a place where I'm satisfied.
>>
File: 1434682404486-0.png (78KB, 265x294px) Image search: [Google]
1434682404486-0.png
78KB, 265x294px
>>52203371
My group was invited to do an evil campaign, but it hasn't gone on for more than one session yet, and I think the DM is a bit afraid to.

The party Wizard described his plan to get access to a Nature God as, quote from the group chat,
>Kidnap a Nature Cleric, force them into submission, then either force them to be a conduit to whatever God they worship, or make them into a meat suitcase (No arms, legs, mouth, ears or eyes) and mail them back to whatever monastery they come from
>>
>>52203399
>one of my players took a dragon cultist that gave up and grappled him. he took him to the edge of the mountain cliff and went full edgelord and said "this is the last thing you'll ever see" and proceeded to cut his head off and throw it down the mountain.
Romanticism
>>
>>52202515
When i was gm
People got bored i.e. too much exposition
Tried again
They slowly lost interest as they were not big rpers

Freind
Going good
Not alot of conflict
He lets me die after i refuse to breathe in toxic gas 2 times and he says it told me too breath in.
I breath it in because i tried 2 times!!! I die...he says i wasn't supposed to breathe in!!! Fuck you!!!
Next time with him
He forgets he is running a campaign...
>>
>>52203432
>>If he's slain the main guards have orders to kill several innocents to maintain order
Literally worse than 70s comic book moral quandaries. I don't normally shit on monster of the week D&D campaigns, but when a dictator dies someone else steps in, not some retarded ultimatum.
>>
>>52203432
Talk about contrivance.
>>
>>52203572
Donald, get some sleep, you have muslims to ban.
>>
>>52203524
then i think you have a good start. i still feel how i feel about your improved crit changes and the nature of recovering all maneuvers in a single turn.
>>
Would adding a skill or two onto the normal human be enough to see it get played? I also let everyone take a feat for free.
>>
>>52203059
Doesn't get spells that would be nifty for melee like blur, mirror image, or haste.
>>
File: 1386162538241.png (147KB, 238x287px) Image search: [Google]
1386162538241.png
147KB, 238x287px
>>52203185
>not including the Lovecraftian deities in your setting
>>
>>52202808
The ultimate rule of thumb in basically any question about D&D is, "Ask your DM"

Assuming they aren't a dick and/or your idea isn't retarded you ought to be able to work something out
>>
File: 1387366084209.jpg (19KB, 448x337px) Image search: [Google]
1387366084209.jpg
19KB, 448x337px
>>52203572
>>
>>52202936
Yeah he remembers that you can only have one concetration at a time. He just assumes that concentration checks are just for serious damage, as opposed to any damage.
>>
Its factually irresponsible for a city to allow the raising of half orc children. Half Orcs are genetically predisposed to acts of aggression and a physical size that makes them a danger to the people around them.

Help make your community safe again by reporting the births of half orc children.
>>
>>52203675
normal human being +1 to all stats?
>>
A number of sessions ago and several in-game months, one of the party members got killed in a hilarious, brutal, and completely predictable way. He really wasn't even mad about it since he admitted he'd brought it on himself.

How much of a dick move would it be to have him show up as an intelligent undead? They were associated with a dickish Necromancer, and said Necromancer is likely to show up later as a major villain. But would that be too fucked up?
>>
>>52203909
Yeah, also the bonus language but that's nothing of note.
>>
>>52203895
Shut up, Steve King, no one asked you.
>>
>>52203945
It's not even really a bonus, every race i know of gets a racial language.
>>
>>52203895
Uncle Oruckus agrees, stop those dirty orc and half orc monkeys from harassing those amazing humans.
>>
>>52203962
>Halfling's have their own language

I still don't understand why this exists, it should never had existed.
>>
>>52203769
It's for both.

Even if you get good enough to autopass the basic DC10, you will get increased difficulty from taking >20 hp of damage in one go.

But for early level, even just taking 5 damage can represent a quarter of your health for a caster.
>>
>>52203933
You can make him an unintelligent undead if you want them to fight him, but not have him be a real villain.
>>
>>52203996
You think that's less dickish than reanimating the dead PC as a wight?
>>
>>52203695
they can get haste, they're just restricted to evocation for a few levels

they can also get cool shit like grease and misty step
>>
File: tmp_10337-DRp9BNt1064785289.jpg (242KB, 595x595px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_10337-DRp9BNt1064785289.jpg
242KB, 595x595px
>>52203068
Shield and shield of faith are all you'll ever need. Maybe the occasional fireball.
>>
What is the point of telekinetic barrier?

10 AC with 10 HP hardly stop anything
>>
>>52203989
Don't forget that it's a con saving throw, even with a +9, a 1 still fails.

It's part of why Warcaster, Lucky, or being a Halfling is really good for a caster, 1/20 to 1/400
>>
File: Hag_Coven_1.jpg (334KB, 960x752px) Image search: [Google]
Hag_Coven_1.jpg
334KB, 960x752px
Help me out folks, I want to use a green had as a recurring low level villain but I got questions. How would you interpret invisible passage? Would a hag using it leave footprints in flour the PCs spilled? How do they interact with doors?

Also give me some plot ideas involving hags.
>>
Anyone watch Dice Camera Action?
>>
>>52204125
Saving throw doesn't have auto fail on 1.
>>
>>52204140
no

webdm and critical role for me
>>
Am I the only person upset the Soul Knife can't throw their weapons? So far I'm planning to ask if I can use dagger ranges for throwing them.
>>
>>52202704
I use Magic Missile on my EK for the utility of an automatic damage attack with long range.
>>
>>52204125
a 1 is only an automatic failure on attacks
>>
>>52204186
Animate weapon power.
>>
>>52204139
>While invisible, she leaves no physical evidence of her passage
i'd say they couldn't track her with flour but i'd rule that they could see a door open. i haven't seen an official rulings though, and if you're more liberal with your interpretation it basically means the hag can open a door and it still look closed while she uses invisible passage.

as far as plots go, an interesting hook would be that a noble's daughter was kidnapped by the hag. another could be related to a curse cast upon someone and the only way to cure it is to slay the hag who cast it. alternatively, you could have a hag coven hire the party to slay a hag they particularly don't like for some reason or another.
>>
File: 606182.jpg (93KB, 2160x1216px) Image search: [Google]
606182.jpg
93KB, 2160x1216px
Give me one good reason not to take the shrinking, and giant growth psionic disciplines, and playing Ant-Man.
>>
>>52204216
People will expect you to crawl inside your foe's anuses and grow giant.
>>
>>52204216
it's a dumb gimmick
>>
>>52204228
The drawback of being a hero.
>>52204230
You're a dumb gimmick.
>>
File: learn to read.png (257KB, 865x287px) Image search: [Google]
learn to read.png
257KB, 865x287px
https://5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/items.html#Salt

5etools has been completely updated to the new, cleaner styling.

Also I added in mounts, vehicles, tack, and trade goods to the items.
>>
>>52204388
How does one make it work on a mobile?
>>
So Mind Thrust or Mind Slam for my level 1 Psionic Talent? I was thinking Mind Slam for the Advantage in melee but Mind Thrusting people on a save no one uses sounds fun.
>>
>>52204164
You're missing out.
>>
>>52204388
You're a good man.
>>
>>52204388
You're the hero we need but don't deserve.
>>
>>52204420
fuck no, i DESPISE nate. he's such an annoying fuck. i watched three episodes and had to drop it.
>>
>>52204481
You're definitely missing out, he got better but you're still a salty prick.
>>
>>52204388
I can't tell if the comic is parodying people's inability to RTFM, or that we are still having to deal with natural language in a professional rulebook in the year 2017.
>>
>>52204489
go suck his chode somewhere else you memeing tumblrfag
>>
Would it be reasonable to give a Player proficiency in a weapon he really wants to use at level 5? I'm thinking of letting him train with the fighter during Long Rests for it.
>>
>>52204496
yes its reasonable, weapon proficiency by class is mostly pointless
>>
>>52204496
Completely reasonable.
>>
>>52204495
Hahaha, you seem upset, and with all that projecting. Go seek help.
>>
>>52204502
>>52204509
Yeah I had a feeling an extra +1 damage on average on a class with no extra attack and who rarely even uses his attack wouldn't do much.
>>
>>52204210
Thanks for the input. I had a feeling flour was a bit of a reach unless it's fey flour or something.

I haven't thought about a coven going after another hag. Might use that later, thanks!
>>
>>52204414
Mind Thrust is the only Talent that benefits from Psychic Assault's Psionic Focus, making it 1d10+2 at level one.
>>
>>52204639
Well shit. Guess I'll take that. Just want to avoid being MAD on my Ardent copy so I'm taking a Shield, Medium Armour and going to spam that as my Auto Attack.
>>
What are the best classes and why are they Bard, Paladin, Wizard?
>>
>>52204792
That's a weird way to call Mystic, Mystic, and Mystic anon
>>
>>52204792
Mystic
>>
>>52204800
>>52204801
Not canon
>>
>>52204808

IT'S GOT THE SEAL

WE'RE GONNA PLAY IT
>>
>>52204808
When IS the next splat book coming? We're due an officialisation of Revised Ranger and some of the Warlock stuff at the very least.
>>
Wait. So Mystic doesn't need to do anything while activating it's abilities or using talents? Does anyone else have an issue with 2d10+7 damage every 6 seconds without being able to find the caster at 8th level?
>>
What do people think the codenames Dust and Midway are referring to?
>>
>>52204971
If I've learnt one thing from WotC over the years. Like 1 out of 10 codenames they use have any meaning behind them.
>>
>>52204971
I have no idea what those are from, but could dust refer to old stuff, meaning Tales of the Yawning Portal?

Midway just makes me think of the Battle of Midway.
>>
>>52204948
You'll notice that that's the precedent for a lot of psychic-ish creatures. There's no apparent way to do *anything* about a polymorphed succubus in a crowd of people charming people and forcing them to kill each other 1 at a time.

An Insight check is probably a good compromise if you don't like psychic creatures brain blasting everyone.
>>
>>52205044
I'm more wondering how great a Goblin that can hide as a bonus action or a Wood Elf who can hide in lightly obscured areas could be.

Also I might be missing something but would using Psionics while under the effect of the invisibility spell count as an attack or casting a spell if it uses a Saving Throw?
>>
>>52205138
They are magical and function similarly to spells, so if balance concerns are even 0.1% likely to be an issue, feel free to treat them as such.
>>
>>52205176
Yeah seems like the right way to rule it. I'll most likely report that in the survey otherwise Duergar make some great Psionics. I guess they are meant to though.
>>
I dont get the officialness of some character archetypes.. like there in 5e phb there is dragonkin and wildmagic sorcerers... but people refer to "stone, pyro, thunder" archetypes..

Are these the UA archetypes ?
On the wiki these fall under the Homebrew page
Does Ua even have """"officially official""" archetypes ?
>>
>>52205256
>Are these the UA archetypes ?
Yes
>On the wiki these fall under the Homebrew page
Don't use the wiki, it's trash
>Does Ua even have """"officially official""" archetypes ?
Technically, no. All material is playtest quality, so usually broken. Sometimes on purpose.
>>
>>52205256
Unearthed Arcana is playtest material published regularly by WotC and the D&D team. It's released online in .pdf format, and they always accompany the release with a survey and questionnaire regarding the previous release.

Unearthed Arcana has covered fucking everything, from entirely revamping mechanics, to three seperate reworks of the Ranger class, to fucking Magic the Gathering setting conversions.
>>
>>52205286
>>52205282
These new archetypes seems cool, but i run a game for people who havent even readthe phb.. so i will just stick to the corebook..

But in case i want to use some, is there a list of "breddy gud" ua archetypes and completely broken ones ?
>>
>>52205351
Revised ranger is pretty good

That's it
>>
>>52205351
Lore Wizard and Mystic wouldn't be good for their first game.

Most are good and if anyone wants to play a Ranger just use the Revised Ranger.
>>
>most awkward player in the group (my twin brother) wants to dm
>I've been perma dm for almost 3 years
>I'm playing avatar mystic in hopes of doing alot of the talking to help him not be nervous
Anything else I can do or tips I can give him? I really don't want the next year of campaigns to be him being too shy.
>>
>>52205194
Great catch.

Honestly I'm neutral towards this sort of thing -- the way I see it, psionics are meant to be subverse, instill paranoia, and be hard to catch (like a guy with still spell, silent spell and modify memory).

This of course isn't suitable for all campaigns so I don't mind if DMs nerf that element, of course.
>>
>>52205351
Revised Ranger should entirely replace the PHB ranger.

The Alchemist class is a bit undertuned, but shouldn't cause any problems.

Most of the archetypes are fine, excluding Thuerge and Lore Wizard, although many are fairly similar to core options, especially those published before the current UA series.

Things like the Monster Hunter and Scout are entirely balanced, but they accomplish that by being slightly altered Battlemasters.
>>
>>52205384
Yeah. Could always make it so only the at will abilities count as a spell for invisibility and that. So you can run around psychic blasting people from the shadows but not all day long.
>>
>>52205393
>excluding Theurge and Lore Wizard
What's wrong with them? Other than Theurge being a really stupid concept.
>>
>>52205421
Lore wizard is broken good and basically shits all over other archetypes.
>>
>>52205421
They expand the versatility of the games most versatile class, Theurge steals spot light from the Cleric especially, and Lore Wizard has serious tuning issues, 1 mile range Radiant damage Int save Fireballs for example, as well as having a built in mechanic to increase their spell save DC.
>>
Can D&D work with a campaign similar to a Shadowrun game? A band of specialists taking on jobs from wealthy but shady nobles in an urban setting.

Any suggestions for running a game like this.
>>
>>52205443
Let's also not forget the option to steal spells from any class in the game, no way that could be imbalanced.
>>
>>52205471
make sure your players know ahead of time so they can pick useful backgrounds and skills. Other than that, yeah it can work fine.
>>
>>52205471

Arguably it works best that way. You just call them quests instead of jobs.
>>
>>52205471
Yeah, I could see it working. Just tell your players in advance, make sure they're on board and hold an appropriate session zero.
>>
>>52205517
Yeah they would know ahead of time for sure. Time is very limited for me so this seemed like a natural way to do the ocassional 1 or 2 part session and still maintain an overarching story.
>>52205520
Good to know. Ive always played in longer campaigns but shorter stories seem more manageable for me as long as D&D works well that way.
>>
>>52201951

Is that a poll-lock?
>>
>>52205043
Actually, the product codenamed Labrinyth turned out to be the Yawning Portal supplement.
Midway could be a rules expansion, thank fucking christ.
>>
>>52201951
>only one choice
But I wanted both GOO and Raven Queen :(
>>
What kind of magic items can a Mystic benefit from? One of the boys is playing a mystic next campaign and idk if i need to make things up or what.
>>
What are some cool ideas for monk (specifically path of shadow) weapons? I was gonna ask my DM to reflavor a quarterstaff as a three section staff, and I already got my darts as kunai.
>>
>>52205654
Wouldn't Darts be Shuriken, Kunai be Daggers, clubs be Nunchaku and what not?
>>
anyone have a link for the 5e Scarred Lands book?
>>
>>52201982
>academic
That's not how you spell rote
Wizards are the self-important it guys
>>
>>52203149
Mechanically? It seems to me fiendlock is the best mechanically thanks to temp hp and save boosts. Even Feylock's charm and teleport seems better than GOO's telepathy/disadvantage reaction
>>
>>52205751
Not really, wizards are largely the backbone of the setting.
>>
DM here, I think I have a problem with one of my players.

All but one of them have never played d&d before. One of the players seems to always roll well, and he is directly across the table from me. I can't recall him rolling lower than a 14, and neither can the one player who has played the longest. In almost a year of weekly sessions, he has never rolled a Natural 1.

Aside from this, he is one of the few players that has a coherent back story. He also RPs fairly well and contributes to the weekly beer/miniature fund.

How would other DMs handle this situation? It's unlikely, but possible that he has god-like luck. He also is one of the better players (rolls outstanding) in my group.
>>
>>52205876
Have them sit nearer. Maybe request a friend to take up the spots at the end of the table and make up some reason they should have to definitely sit there.

Or you could just be honest and say you're a little paranoid because the guy seems to have a lot of luck and that you want to see their rolls better.
>>
>>52205876
is he rolling in front of you? does his rolling fuck with the story in any particular way?
>>
>>52205896
That was actually my first thought. The player that has played before is a good friend of mine and also is concerned with this. Their characters have a bromance going on, so I think I will suggest a swap of the seating arrangements that has my good friend sitting next to him.

>>52205897
Only once. His saves are almost always 20+, so if anything is going to affect him the DC needs to be stupid high. He resisted a 22 DC str save at level 6 for 3 rounds before I made an NPC try to drag him out of the effect, which distracted him momentarily and raised the DC. It felt railroady, and I don't like doing that. The NPC suffered the effect of that as well, in turn.
>>
File: ph-page87.png (112KB, 398x140px) Image search: [Google]
ph-page87.png
112KB, 398x140px
>>52201923
>oath of the ancients paladin
>you suffer none of the drawbacks of old age (pic related)

Does this mean that they can't actually die from old age?

> inb4 not playing the only class that becomes immortal
>>
>>52205876
Just bring a dice tower one day.
>>
>>52205876
If that guy needs to cheat to have a good time, maybe it's okay that he cheats. It's just a game, he's your friend, and I don't think he's doing it to hurt anyone - he probably just once wants to feel like he's powerful or good or strong or smart.

Let him have it.
>>
>>52205991
Honestly, this is where I was until recently. It's difficult to design intense encounters when DCs are always met. I can get other players blinded or paralyzed or held, but never his Druid unless I make the DC 25+, which ruins it for everyone else.

I also don't want to railroad any of my players into auto failing DCs etc.
>>
>>52205937
Itt. they forgot the clause that the monk gets for the smae feature.
Lifespan does not increase.
>>
>>52206027
>Itt. they forgot the clause that the monk gets for the smae feature.

What's "ltt" and "smae"? Also, how do you conclude that lifespan does not increase?
>>
Guys I'm having trouble deciding between two character concepts

Tiefling Vengeance Paladin/Fiend Warlock

Or

Fallen Aasimaar Vengeance Paladin/GOO warlock

Basically should I go 2edgy4me self-hating fiend hunter or 3spooky5me insane fallen angel?
>>
>>52206060
>>52206027
Nothing wrong with some characters outliving monks, especially vow of, well, the ancients.
>>
>>52206027
At monk's Timeless Body they explicitly say that "you still die of old age", while at the ancients paladin section it does not. The title is "Undying Sentinel".

So, ancients don't die from old age?
>>
File: Victarion Greyjoy.jpg (2MB, 900x1305px) Image search: [Google]
Victarion Greyjoy.jpg
2MB, 900x1305px
>>52206068
Neither. Create an actual character instead.
>>
>>52206068
Aasimar a shit, Crimson Legionnaire for life.

BAEL TURATH WILL RISE AGAIN!
>>
>>52203421
"Now entering Magical Realm, left aisle has softcore fetishes like amazoness or beeastplay. On the right side, more flavours for the experienced connoisseurs, like giantess, femdom, futanari. In the separate room you can find even more depravation, such as gore, necrophilia or 100% certified furfagness. On the backside though, we deal the real shit. A point of no return for real perverts, like hand holding."
>>
>>52205876
dice tower
>>
>>52206020
Just attack him with more ac based things. Also call him out on it jokingly. Be like "wow dude you're getting really good roles tonight" and he'll probably realize you know.
>>
>>52206117
What's that?
>>
>>52206090
>create an actual character instead
Gotta start out with a concept that works mechanically, then I add the fluffy bits

>>52206105
Interesting, my biggest qualm about the tiefling is the low Str, but good enough fluff would be enough
>>
>>52206142
Or you could realize it's a tabletop rpg and it doesn't matter if your character is "viable"
>>
>>52206142
Go tome pact, pick shillelagh cantrip, ignore STR and SMITE IN THE NAMES OF THE NINE LORDS!
>>
>>52206137
A box that you put the dice in on top and it roll down the bottom.
>>
>>52206121
>>52205991
He has fun at the expense of other? He is a jerk and his personal feeling shouldn't be respect.
>>
>>52206153
Everyone has different ways of coming up with characters, I take no issue to people who are okay with gimping themselves for the sake of a good story, but I prefer to start with "I want a character that does X thing mechanically" and then build around that. A matterof opinion IMO

>>52206164
Excellent point, I might just do this
>>
>>52206142
>Playing a paladin-warlock WITHOUT planning to pick up shillelagh

What the fuck are you doing
>>
>>52206179
I hope this is sarcasm. Are you unironically willing to destroy friendships over a tabletop game you talk about on a Somalian Cheese Curdling Form?
>>
>>52206179
It's like seeking advice on friends from someone who has no friends.
>>
>>52205807
Exactly what a self-important IT guy would say.
>>
>>52206195
A cheater doesn't deserve any friendship from him. That is abusinve relationship, using friendship as a wager ro take advantage of everyone on the table. It is a toxic behavior.

They might be worth keeping around if they break down, apologize and eagerly try to fix their error when confront.
>>
File: THROW IT.jpg (41KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
THROW IT.jpg
41KB, 640x360px
>>52202710
>Boss gives me a net
>At the critical moment I botch and throw it at him instead
>Use my psychic powers to lift it off of him before he's entangled and throw it at that Sportaflop
>>
>>52206194
I was thinking of going chain or blade actually, tome is cool but if I went tiefling I was thinking of having a wisecracking imp who is actually my "patron" whom I bound to a lesser form, and if I went Aasimar I was thinking of having a weapon that changes constantly to reflect his growing insanity
>>
>>52206260
How the fuck do you know if they're a cheater?
>>
File: 1489631979793.pdf (2MB, 1x1px) Image search: [Google]
1489631979793.pdf
2MB, 1x1px
>>52201923
Again, Garbageman McHomebrew, taking suggestions and requests for homebrew, preferring psionic archetypes.

All the archetypes I've done before in the PDF
>>
>>52206275
Well, that's all fine and cool, but honestly the main mechanical reason for going levels of warlock is to pick up the tome pact for shillelagh.

Shield+PAM+Quarterstaff+Duelling+Shillelagh works great.

The other stuff like fiend's temporary HP and the short rest spell slots and spells known are just added bonuses to sweeten the deal and make a 3 level dip worth it.
>>
>>52206292
>Doing it for purely mechanical reasons
>>
>>52206280
Statistic doesn't lie. Unlike human.
>>
>>52206292
>Implying he should only dip warlock
Paladin 6/warlock 14 for maximum smiting
>>
>>52206292
I'm just in it for the short rest smites and the flavor of a tiefling syphoning power from a bound fiend
>>
>>52206304
You can roll really well for an extended period, ie you can be really lucky. I don't usually roll anything less than a 14 and this is out in the open.
>>
>>52206301
It's just a shame to nerf your character compared to a normal paladin for pure flavour when you could just make a pact with some imp without find familiar.

>>52206316
But why
Denying yourself level 9 spells, and having less spells lots overall, and missing out on improved divine smites.

Warlock is a dipping class. Sorcerer is better if you want to go all the way.
>>
>>52206340
>Denying yourself
Calm down your charop autism
>>
>>52206319
How did you bind a fiend powerful enough to give levels in a class at level 1?
>>
>>52206260
>>52205876
here.

I don't see it like this. Knowing him personally, I think he just wants to be powerful/successful. I am going to swap the seating arrangements a bit to see if it helps.

>>52206195
I'm not going to destroy my friendship with him over a tabletop game, that is for sure. On the flip side, I don't think having 25+ DCs for a level 7 party is proper, either.

>>52206320
This is also a good point, he could be rolling really well.

I started thinking about this mainly because I'm designing an important boss encounter and I trying to push DCs too high. I want things to feel challenging, but not end in a TPK.
>>
>>52206364
Devil ancestor legal shenanigans
>>
>>52206320
Or maybe your dice is weighted and you know it.
>>
>>52206340
>But why
For 3 level 5 short rest recharge smite slots. You would never get above level 5 spells as pally anyway.
And valor bard is a better fullcaster combo for pally dipping. Unless you're some deviant that plays with UA
>>
>>52206377
I like this
>>
>>52206320
Could be bias on your part. Your brain doesn't register any number lower than 14. I think there is an actual term for this, where people think they are special because they always see the clock at unusual time (1:11,2:22) but in reality, their brain just never bother to remember when they look at the clock and see normal number.
>>
>>52206377
And it's just going to keep giving you powers? Not going to fuck you over at some point with the contract? That really doesn't seem right.

My personal feelings aside, it is your game and you know what flies better then me. It's all about having fun so as long as everyone is, it's fine and I have no reason to complain about it. Do be careful because Tielflings, Warlocks and Warlock/Paladins are generally very edgy and frowned upon. If you play it in a way that annoys the group it could be bad.

Though it is an interesting idea. So kudos for that.
>>
>>52206414
Do you literally only play with faux osrg grogs who think Gygax's table was the rpg equivalent of sex in the missionary position while wearing mormon undies rather than a "nearly anything goes so long as you can convince me a ruling on it" mess?
>>
>>52206399
Right? I thought it would be cool, like the imp shows up one day and gives a long spiel about how he is contractually bound to serve me as a guide and patron because of section x subsection y of the charter for the free association and continuation of tradition pursuant to the convention for the furthering of devilish affairs signed by himself and my great great great grandpa a few thousand years ago
>>
>>52206414
Well turns out great great great grandpa is rather good at writing airtight contracts, who'd a thunk it?
>>
>>52206444
Devilish bureaucracy is always great
>>
>>52206382
Why the fuck would I do this? It's a fucking game.

You have some serious issues.
>>
>>52206414
>And it's just going to keep giving you powers? Not going to fuck you over at some point with the contract?
Hopefully. Background relevent plot twists make for great challenges and any DM worth their salt would eat this up if a player showed up with it
>>
In Storm King's Thunder, how early should I be foreshadowing the Kraken Society?

I feel like I should be having the players know something is up when they're in Bryn Shander (say, having one of the NPCs being assassinated?). I worry that if I'm not letting them know that something is up, then they won't really get why Hekaton went missing.
>>
>>52206402
Wat, my and my friend's dice rolls are all out in the open, because we play at my or a mate's place. They have to be witnessed first. Are you calling all of us liars?
>>
>>52206464
Because your are a cheater who isn't man enough to admit it. Then you lie on the internet to get over your insecurity.
>>
>>52206382
Do you come in here to compensate for the fact you have no friends and no one likes you.
>>
>>52206464
Not him, but certain dice of poor quality are essentially weighted, it's just not intentional. It's pretty easy to figure out when you've used them for some time.
>>
>>52206479
>any DM worth their salt would eat this up if a player showed up with it
I know I would.
>>
>>52206505
What the fuck are you blathering about? Are you for real? Do you have any friends at all? I'm asking seriously if you have any friends at all.
>>
>>52202306
Think of it less like the EK and more like a Bladelock...
>>
>>52206517
My friend got me Chessex dice and we only use them once a week, but sure whatever makes you sleep better.
>>
>>52206501
No, he's saying you don't remember when you roll mediocre numbers.
Everyone fixates when they always roll high or if they roll a lot of 20s or 1s, but people will rarely say "I've been rolling between 7 and 10 a lot"
>>
>>52206546
Chessex dice aren't especially good quality, more so if you got a pound
>>
>>52206552
And I'm saying that I literally don't consistently roll low numbers because my friends are keeping track of what ee roll as well.
>>
>>52206561
But are they weighted dice?
>>
>>52206552
Actually I've noticed I get an inordinate amount of 2's and 8's
>>
>>52206546
Isn't that the one where you can put it in the oven so one side is melted and more weight than the other?
>>
>>52206505
>he and his friends all roll out in the open
>they do because it's only a game
>nah, he's a filthy cheater and just not man enough to admit it
Okay.
>>
>>52206530
I have many friends, that why I can afford to keep only the quality friend around and kick out all the cheater. Instead of being hold up by Stockholm syndrome relationship abuser like you.
>>
>>52206600
I don't know because we've never tried, but you can believe that if it helps you sleep better at night.
>>
>>52206388
Bard6/PaladinX appeals more, but I guess Paladin2/BardX works better on lots of spell slots.
Paladin2/SorcererX, Paladin6/SorcererX, Paladin11/SorcererX are all things too.

If you get 2 short rests every long rest and don't need to conserve your spell slots for some big boss fight or something, then you'll be blessed with 9 level 5 spell slots a day, and that's being really generous.

1 level 2 spell slot, 3 level 3 spell slots, 3 level 4 spell slots, 2 level 5 spell slots, 1 level 6 spell slot, 1 level 7 spell slot, 1 level 8 spell slot, 1 level 9 spell slot
For a total of 13 spell slots a day that you can conserve to the end of a day and you don't require a load of rests to get that many, though obviously not all of those spell slots are optimal for smiting. But you get sorcerery points to make bonus action GFB/BB attacks (It's SCAG, so not really UA I guess) or upcasting things more important than smiting.

Paladin gives +1 level 2 spell slot, +3 level 3 spell slots, +3 level 4 spell slots, +2 level 5 spell slots.
9 spell slots a day. They're not as good, but you get features like improved divine smite (Half a level 1 smite on every attack.)

If warlock had features to make up for it, it'd be fine, but its features don't make a level of that much worth it over sorcerer's bonus attacks or bard's versatility + shillelagh + whatever the heck else like elemental weapon they wanted.

Unless you make really good use of invocations.
>>
>>52206607
Is English not your first language?
And you have issues, serious issues. Did someone accuse you of cheating or caught you cheating red-handed? Because I don't know how else to explain your completely fucked up reasoning. It's like your brain has an aversion to rational and coherent thought.
>>
File: JUST.png (81KB, 712x472px) Image search: [Google]
JUST.png
81KB, 712x472px
word cloud of this thread
>>
>>52206607
I recommend getting off the Internet and seeing a psychiatrist ASAP.
>>
>>52206607
I don't understand how anyone can unironically act like this. Who hurt you?
>>
>>52206607
Please be trolling, please be trolling. Please be trolling.
>>
>>52206607
FRIENDSHIP ENDED WITH FRIENDS
NOW DICE ARE MY BEST FRIENDS
>>
What the actual fuck happened to 5eg? Why are there now so many literal autists, retards and fucking social rejects in the threads?
>>
do you incorporate background music into your games? if so how? where do you generally get your music?
>>
>>52206607
You silly fuck, having a lot of dice doesn't count as many friends.
>>
>>52206479
I let the PCs hand me any rope they want, like our sorcerer who is a wild magic and afraid of fire. Even wants me to use the table more often, fire spells are really gonna suck if she can't make a save.
>>
>>52206690
I have one of those google home things. When we were sailing I had it play ocean noises. I had it play Arabic sounding music in the desert, etc.
>>
>>52203895
>>>/pol/
>>
>>52206718
>>>lefty/pol/
>>
>>52203895
I mean you're not wrong. Most PCs in my campaign look at half orcs with either sympathy or disgust. Sympathy because they're likely a rape baby. Disgust because they're half-orc.
>>
>>52206677
I asked for advice as a DM handling an issue with a suspected cheater. Then, autism happened.
>>
>>52203895
And their IQs are at least a standard deviation lower than that of humans! Why do we tolerate their existence in our society and treat them as anything other than foreign invaders?
>>
What happens if you mash all of the published adventures together and weave an overarching plot to tie it all together? Doable or nah?
>>
File: where do you think we are.jpg (41KB, 498x441px) Image search: [Google]
where do you think we are.jpg
41KB, 498x441px
>>52206677
>>
>>52206778
Why is he a suspected cheater? Why don't you actually talk to him?
>>
>>52206778
If you're not autistic don't call him a cheater, and fucking talk to him you fucking autist.
>>
So reading earlier in the thread got me think, I haven't really set up a lot of chance for any kind of moral dilemmas. Is it a good idea to set some up? If so what are decent ways of going about it without forcing the party into the situation in the first place?
>>
>>52206796
Because the lowest roll I have on record for him is a 14 and we're 49 sessions in, nearly one year of play.

See
>>52205876
>>
>>52206642
>psychic fuck
>wizard weapons
>actually go
>much class
>only mystic

Yep, definitely a /5eg/.
>>
File: 1486843959507.jpg (631KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1486843959507.jpg
631KB, 1280x720px
>>52206677
'Who cares about mechanics when you could play something flavourful but useless'fags are fagging up the thread.

We must purge the threads by way of deathmatch, where only the strong survive.
>>
>>52206821
See >>52206816
Do you know how to talk to people?
>>
>>52202179
Assuming the wizard never applies their proficiency bonus to the learning process:
>Will fail to learn two spells on average over the course of levels 1 to 20
>Will on average have 15 permanently metamagic'd spells.
>>
>>52206834
>>52206821
Do your players roll in front of you? If not, that's your fucking problem and get them to roll in front of you and each other, you fuck.
>>
How do you incorporate dungeons into a campaign that is mostly based around overworld exploration?
>>
>>52206834
No, I'm DMing for a group of people yet have no idea how to talk to anyone

As I previously stated, the situation is more delicate to me solely because this person is one of two that actually contributes to buying minis, beer/food, and roleplays well.
>>
>>52206677
They were always here
>>
>>52206861
Then why haven't you talked to him, you fucking autist?
Also, see >>52206855
>>
>>52206855
The table is too long for me to see all the way to the end. We have a 12ft banquet style table we play at.

I've already decided to rearrange the seating so I can keep a better eye on it.
>>
>>52206861
Then you obviously don't know how to talk to people well or DM well.
Raise the issue delicately with him then if it that concerns you.
>>
>>52206886
Do you know what standing up for better viewing and walking around the table is? Or getting the players to call out their roll? Stop being a fucking retard.
>>
>>52206861
Easily solved. Say to him you're worried that his dice might be tilted due to defects and offer him different dice to use. It's actually an entirely plausible reason for things being the way it is.

Sometimes in the creation process plastic can melt to one side and weight them unintentionally. It may be that they're weighted and he doesn't even know, and if he does know and you say this, he knows you're aware of it but tackling it in a non-aggressive, non-accusatory fashion.
>>
>>52205381
Talk to him outside of the game and tell him to have confidence
>>
>>52206856
Cultist den, monster cave, brigand hideout, sinkholes.
>>
>>52202179
18+ really doesn't seem very strong.

'You always have this spell prepared', pretty much? Is that.. Something you should honestly care about?
Many wizard spells are rituals that don't even need preparing in the first place.
>>
File: eye-and-hand-of-vecna-0.jpg (410KB, 835x959px) Image search: [Google]
eye-and-hand-of-vecna-0.jpg
410KB, 835x959px
How easily should non-magic users be able to detect if someone nearby is attuned to an artifact?
>>
>>52207077
Just as easily as a magic user, unless it's a magic user with an affinity for certain things, i.e. sorcerers are more in-tune with magic when wizards just replicate magic. A holy sorcerer could easily detect a holy artefact by its power, unless the artefact is designed to be hard to detect.

You can rule it however, but I think RAW would say 'Nobody can, without casting detect magic, and even then you'd only detect the artefact, not the attunement.'
>>
>>52201923
When a Dragon transforms into it's human form and vice-versa, what does the transformation look like?

Twisting and contorting features?

An elegant billow of smoke?

non-canon visuals welcome
>>
>>52207158
It looks like bullshit.

Fuck that, crazy powerful beasts can stay as crazy powerful beasts. With power, comes problems such as being too big to fit in a house. None of this sueism.
>>
Is there a website where I could post an advertisement to start a group? The people on my social media aren't really interested in RPing, and the fliers a friend and I have put up on the main hall's bulletin board at our university are constantly getting covered up by other people's ads, or a janitor comes along and tears everyone's papers off.
>>
>>52207158
>>52207224

The dragon takes a kobold who's very good at acting, uses an illusion spell to make him or her appear human, and slips a sending stone behind the kobold's ear so he can both eavesdrop on the kobold and feed the kobold lines. The kobold just claims to be the dragon's avatar.
>>
>>52207158
Personally I'd see more of a Pokemon light style or like you said a cloud of smoke.

>>52207224
>Monster manual even details one dragon type liking being in human form
>Stop liking things I don't like!
>>
>>52207224
>With power, comes problems such as being too big to fit in a house
With power can come the ability to cast polymorph, too.
>>
>>52207289
Doing it right /10
>>
>>52206578

>"I haven't noticed X."
>"That's because people have this blindspot"
>"But other people haven't noticed it either!"
>>
File: ezgif-1-fb9f2b4bea.gif (2MB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
ezgif-1-fb9f2b4bea.gif
2MB, 800x800px
>>52207224
Can a villain be a mary sue?

inb4 3edgy
>>
>Starting a short campaign for new players
>Simple stuff, nothing new except for a city of my own design
>Helping players with making characters
>One "Le funnyman XD" wants to make a skeleton
>asks me to homebrew a race together for him.

Fuck you Sebi, I know you're here. Have fun getting smashed by everything with bludgeoning damage asshole.
>>
>>52207359
Potentially it'd be possible to make one.
>>
>>52207390
>He's a skeleton
>First time party meets him they flip and attack him because it's a skeleton
>Ok good first session make another character for next

Had someone at the table make a pseudo undead, two PCs wanted to kill him immediately because one is a Raven Queen paladin and the other lost his mentor to undead.

So he made a half-orc/dwarf bard with a purple mohawk. The paladin still hates him because he's an annoying twat.
>>
>>52207309
>One type
>Literally every single type of metallic dragon
>They can do shit like turning into spellcasters at-will, gaining class features, spellcasting and all that
>Can at-will just turn into an archmage and cast wish because lolwhynot at-will wish is perfectly fine, it's a dragon, why doesn't it deserve at-will wish and at-will power word: kill and all of that?

I would be fine if one specific dragon was a weaker dragon that could shapeshift into all sorts of things with a bit of a restriction (Not gaining class features or limited-resource actions, or having a limitation on shapeshifts a day)

And this isn't polymorph, it's pretty much an at-will level 9 spell - shapechange.

Creatures should have weaknesses. Even gods. Being a clumsy large size in exchange for health, resistance, power etc is a fair tradeoff, and feels a lot fairer than 'Well, every single civilian in the street COULD be a goddamn ancient dragon that could punch your brains out.'

I'd honestly be cancer if all dragons could do it, and also fuck Bahamut.

Fortunately since not all dragons have it I won't have to put up with the possibility that every person I pass in the street could be a secretly incredibly powerful ancient chromatic dragon or tiamat.
>>
>>52206260
>seriously breaking up a friendship because you have suspicion that someone is cheating in a game
What the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>52207077
If you're really good at History or Arcana, maybe you can recognize an artifact when you see one if you make a check. If you cast Detect Magic, artifacts will appear as overwhelmingly powerful magic items. Other than that, I'd rule that you're fucked unless you can see it in action and just deduce that it's a very powerful magic item.
>>
>>52207390
Go with the classic tavern scene, a skeleton walks into the bar and orders a drink from the bartender, everyone is too shocked to stop him. Start with bone puns and never ever stop.
>>
>>52207429
>So he made a half-orc/dwarf bard with a purple mohawk
If that player's name is Josh, I know who that person is, and he is an annoying twat IC and OOC.
>>
What skill would you use to recall knowledge about aberrations? History? Arcana?
>>
Has anyone used or seen artifacts from DMG in their games? I feel like DMs frown on them because they're generic and powerful, but I really like them, would love to scatter several of them around a campaign. Not easy to get or anything, just there and available to quest for.
>>
>>52207463
Yeah all the metallics can, and one even prefers being in human form and can live off human food.

>Weaknesses
Easy build in that even though they look human they're still a fucking dragon and people are terrified of them. Another is that they aren't one hundred percent human looking, make them alien looking, like something is just off.

>Can at-will just turn into an archmage and cast wish because lolwhynot at-will wish is perfectly fine, it's a dragon, why doesn't it deserve at-will wish and at-will power word: kill and all of that?

Now you're just being stupid, all they do is assume a human form, not change into a fucking different monster type from the book.
>>
>>52207505
Not the same guy, his name's Jack but he fits that description
>>
>>52203695
Read again, they are restricted for most of their spells but get 3 spells that can be any wizard, and if their player is at all smart they usually take blur, haste, and either mirror image or blink
>>
>>52205937
>> inb4 not playing the only class that becomes immortal
Mystics says hello with the a 50/50 chance of rezzing themselves if something does happen.
>>
>>52207463
>bitterdragonbornfuriouslytyping.png
>>
>wield a Net in one hand as an improvised melee weapon
>use Animate Weapon to make melee attacks with 30 foot range
>use Faithful Archer to normal-throw another Net every round with your offhand
>both Nets return to you
>psychicysnack get in my sack
>>
>>52207563
"Its statistics and abilities are otherwise replaced by its new form."

I just realized, however

It says EXCEPT class abilities, not including.

Despite that, archmages don't have spellcasting as a class ability. They aren't players.

Nothing in the action itself says there's something off about it. If you just say 'But, yeah, I think that they shouldn't look exactly like humans' and there isn't some text somewhere (There might be?) to say so, you're pretty much going my route of 'I'd rather have dragons have a different role rather than being like oversized rakshasas'
>>
>>52207523
History might tell you important historic events involving aberrations.
Nature might tell you about aberrations, but might be missing information.
Arcana should tell you what you need to know.
>>
>>52207523
"Arcana: Your Intelligence (Arcana) check measures your ability to recalllore about spells, magie items, eldritch symbols, magical traditions, the planes of existence, and the inhabitants of those planes."
>>
>>52207757
>>52207754
If aberrations were from another plane they wouldn't be aberrant ya dunces, they'd be outsiders.

Aberrations are fucked up mutants or strange weirdos arising on the current plane 9 times out of 10. The source of that mutation might be extraplanar in nature, but the creature isn't.
>An aberration has a bizarre anatomy, strange abilities, an alien mindset, or any combination of the three.

Nature with Disadvantage, because they're pretty much Un-Natural.
>>
How often have you given your players a +X magic weapon?
>>
>>52207807
every 4-5 levels
>>
>>52207799
I wouldn't say disadvantage. Just the DC is harder.

Disadvantage is for a circumstance such as you're trying to identify it when you've only a vague idea of what it is in the first place because you only have a picture of it.
>>
>>52207812
So, would you say that by Level 5, almost every PC in all your campaigns that get that far has a +1?
>>
>>52207807
I've given one, once, over maybe four levels of play.
>>
>>52207823
>disadvantage or the DC is higher
This is statistically the same, but you can push a DC out of a character's reach by making it higher, whereas Disadvantage means it's simply less likely.
>>
>>52207703
Did you actually go and read the section for metallic dragons? Don't answer that because I know you didn't it says

>at some point in their long lives metallic dragons gain the magical ability to assume the form of humanoids and beast. When a dragon learns how to DISGUISE itself, it might immerse itself in other cultures for a time

It doesn't use a fucking spell you turbo autist it just shifts to a human form.
>>
>>52207833
If they don't have a +1 something (it might not be a weapon), they at least have a magical item that does SOMETHING. But I run rather high magic settings to begin with. There are people who never give out +1s.
>>
>>52207839
And also simply you don't stack diadvantage/advantage, and they should be therefore saved for situational conditions.

It's more of a 'advantage/disadvantage shouldn't be used to adjust the DC of, say, a spell, but instead represent being in an advantageous position or a disadvantageous position that the players could possibly have avoided'.
>>
>>52207846
I was comparing it to the 'shapechange' spell.

If you give a person an ability that allows them to create an aura of magical darkness around an object, then that person has an ability like the 'darkness' spell. Whether or not it's a spell only matters when it comes to things such as 'dispel magic'.
>>
>>52207871
I say disadvantage because making a nature check on the unnatural is clearly counter to the skill's intention, but there's also nothing else that captures knowledge of mutants; it's within the purview of Nature still. The closest stretch you could make for Arcana is that "most aberrants are in the Underdark and that place is full of faerzress which is magical or some shit so maybe that did it". Yeah, and most of those creatures were made by space-aliens fucking different varieties of normal creatures with tadpoles and not getting magic shit in everything.
>>
>>52207908
Well, I mean, we at least agree that 'It should be harder to identify them' like it'd be hard to identify an alien or a mouse thrown through an atomic radiation blender that somehow comes out alive with mutations.
>>
>>52205654
Shortswords become wakazashi, Daggers become tanto, darts become kunai. Sickle becomes kama, club and mace both become tonfa

That feel when Monks don't have proficiency/martial arts for whips so you can't refluff them to kusarigama/chain whips/meteor hammers. Life is suffering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXYfapQbqo4

Also, I'm less studied in Chink weeb weapons, but I know they have plenty of names for notSpears and the like.
>>
>>52207463
You are aware of the innate dragon spellcasting feature that could, in fact, allow sufficiently high-CR dragons to cast 9th level spells at will, right?
>>
>>52207892
Didn't seem like a comparison from that rant about free wishes, what was communicated is that it is a free shape change spell at will.

The fact is it is a thing available to people who want to work it into the story, sperging out because someone else has a different version of fun and then making false reasons why it shouldn't be allowed is retarded.
>>
>>52207463
>t. Tiamat
>>
File: 838.jpg (95KB, 625x999px) Image search: [Google]
838.jpg
95KB, 625x999px
>>52207158
Like the cover of an Animorphs book.
>>
So what's the class/build tier list like now? Nuclear druid for strongest dps and Divi wizard for best control and oathbroken paladin for martial dps?
>>
>>52206546
My chessex dice are the worst offenders
i use them when the chips are down cause they are biased towards 18's 20's and 15's and away from 1's 3's and 6's
>>
>>52206582
Yes but but not intentionally. They have an inherent bias towards a number but its from cheap plastic and not cheating
>>
File: darkrain1-1.gif (41KB, 432x580px) Image search: [Google]
darkrain1-1.gif
41KB, 432x580px
So warlocks are focused on illusions and enchantments with some spells for movement and damage thrown in? If I play an infernal warlock, should I expect to be a rogue with a magical force arrow?
>>
>>52207996
Charisma modifier number of spells it can cast, can only cast each once a day, requires a CR 27 dragon to cast any of those once a day.
Unless I'm missing something.

Since they can turn into other things at-will (But not gain class features) the only reason I don't see them being able to just turn into an archmage with whatever spells they need is probably arguing about archmages not having access to all spells and that spellcasting is a class feature, even if you're not a class with spellcasting.

>>52208012
Well, the dragon's shapechange is literally the shapechange spell except a bit better except also you can gain class features. Unless I'm reading something wrong.

The thing is, if you just put on a campaign plan 'okay, there's a gold dragon here' and the DM decides that the gold dragon is smart and will do everything in its power, the DM might realize the dragon can do all of this bullshit and have to take out parts of it to stop the dragon being able to stop time forever.

>I shape change into an archmage
>I cast stop time, 1+1d4 turns after this, minimum 2
>I shape change back into a dragon
>I shape change back into an archmage
>I cast stop time
Unfortunately though that requires rolling a 2 or higher on the 1d4 unless they find a way to do any of that faster.
>>
>>52208133
I can attest to this, got a set for Christmas and the d20 rolls really high more often than not. While things like the d6 and d12 roll shit.
>>
>>52208094
Tiamat did nothing wrong
>>
>>52208131
Assuming no DM common sense rulings?

Nuclear druid for strongest DPR
Paladin/Warlock Multiclass for strongest melee DPR
Mystic tied with Lore Wizard for strongest control.
>>
>>52205937
Yesterday I was talking to a friend about the possibilities of a 15 Zealot Barbarian/1 Immortal Mystic with his focus as Adaptive Body. Which is to say, a Barbarian that must CHOOSE to die. Relevant text:

Rage Beyond Death

>Beginning at 14th level, the divine power that fuels your rage allows you to shrug off fatal blows.

>While raging, having 0 hit points doesn’t knock you unconscious. You still must make death saving throws, and you suffer the normal effects of taking damage while at 0 hit points. However, if you would die due to failing death saving throws, you don’t die until your rage ends.

Persistent Rage

>Beginning at 15th level, your rage is so fierce that it ends early only if you fall unconscious or if you choose to end it.

Adaptive Body: Focus

>While focused on this discipline, you don’t need to eat, breathe, or sleep. To gain the benefits of a long rest, you can spend 8 hours engaged in light activity, rather than sleeping during any of it.
>>
>>52208246
I'm interested in the paladin/warlock. Can you please tell me how that works?
>>
>>52208253
I love it
>>
New thread this way >>52208290
>>
>>52208253
Could this work just by being an elf? Or is their trance considered unconcious?
>>
>>52208308
>entering a meditative trance while enraged
You're an elf anyway so no one casts Sleep on you
>>
>>52208217
>Reread the entire section
>Realize I'm retarded because they can do that

Well fuck me, then again I never thought of being that much of a dick bag to players.
>>
>>52207642
Probably doesn't bring the creature in the sack back, good meme though.
>>
>>52205622
flip a coin.
if you dont agree with the coin flip then you clearly liked the other one better anyway.
>>
>>52208273
Oh, shoot, I left out the full caster component too. It's sort of a mish mash in there, with the only requirement being some levels in warlock.

But basically, the new warlock UA has options that let warlocks smite more efficiently than paladins. So take a bladelock, then multiclass as either a full caster with extra attack (valor bard), or a paladin. I think when I calculated it, the maximum burst you could get in a turn was 2 paladin, 5 warlock, 13 sorcerer/wizard/bard. If you wanted more sustained damage, then shifting levels to warlock or the caster and eliminating the paladin would be better.

With the 3 pronged multiclass, you can smite 4 times in a turn. 2 from the paladin levels, and 2 from the warlock invocation. Your warlock smites deal 2d8 per slot, and your paladin smites cap at 5d8. With 13 levels of a full caster, you have one 7th level slot, and one 6th level slot, which you can use to deal 26d8 damage in a turn. Paladin smites contribute 10d8.

Weapon damage is based on whatever your pact weapon has to be for the invocation. You can throw a hex in there for an additional 2d6.

Additionally, with either the GOO or the Fiend patron invocations allow you to reduce the victim's speed to 0 or knock it prone, respectively, with no save, assuming you hit.

For your multiclass, I recommend the Lore Wizard. You can transform the Hold Person/Monster spells to have saves that are almost impossible to resist by your target. For instance, a tarrasque (let's assume your party has somehow burnt through legendary resistance) has almost no chance of passing a Hold Monster (intelligence Save) by a level 20 wizard. It rolls 1d20-3 versus your likely spell save DC of 19. So you've got nearly guaranteed paralysis, which means automatic crits on your 36d8 smiting.

That's an average of 324 damage, just under half the tarrasque's HP. Of course, your damage decreases next round, but at that point your party should be able to finish the job. .
>>
>>52208200
Warlocks are casters with tons of unique abilities. Wizards and sorcerers don't get invocations and not so many class abilities. You are more like the fighter of the casters.
>>
>>52208546
Whoah. Thanks!
>>
>>52208253
Rage only lasts one minute. Persistent rage only protects against it ending early. UA multiclass aside, you need 20 levels of barbarian in order to have infinite rages, and raging probably doesn't count as 'light activity'.
>>
>>52208488
>Dragon appears
>Stops time forever
>Campaign ends
>>
>>52206690
Video game soundtracks usually work exceptionally well. I personally love using the ffxi soundtrack.
Thread posts: 373
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.